Happy New Year Dolphins Fans

Happy New Year 2019 with colorful fireworks

Well, 2018 wasn’t a great season for the Miami Dolphins. I believe to most of us, a change was more than welcome, and the Miami Dolphins owner Steve Ross did not disappoint. Apparently, he’s as displeased with the teams performance as we are, and change was a necessity. The Adam Gase era is now over, lasting only 3 seasons in Miami. The offensive minded coach was expected to bring the Dolphins to new heights, but instead it was new lows. The Dolphins offense finished the season ranked #31 of 32 teams in total yards per game at just under 299 yards per game. #26 in scoring at 19.9 PPG. At 7-9, the Dolphins ended up with a -114 point differential. It’s kind of amazing that we were 7-9 considering how awful and inept we were on both sides of the ball.

The good news – Not only is Adam Gase removed as HC, Dowell Loggains is gone as OC, and Matt Burke also gone as DC.

More good news – Mike Tannenbaum is demoted from VP of Football Operations, and GM Chris Grier now absorbs that title.

GM Chris Grier has already begun the search for a new Head Coach. Rumors are flying around, and it’s difficult to really believe a lot of what is said, so take caution in what you start to fall for. Is John Harbaugh really going to leave the Baltimore Ravens? Is Jim Harbaugh going to leave the college ranks and leave Michigan to break his back again working 20 hour days during the NFL season? Is foot-loving Rex Ryan going to land feet first in Miami? We don’t really know, but it sure is fun to speculate.

The thing that makes me most happy about this transition is Chris Grier is speaking music to my ears. He says he wants to build a team, not try for the quick fix. (Check!)

Grier says we will not be big spenders in Free Agency, especially on veteran players, it would only be on young players, and no overspending. (Check!)

Really, that’s all I can ask for. A plan that can bring the Miami Dolphins to a point where winning is sustainable and consistent. Of course, it’s just a plan, and as we know the plan still has to be executed, and executed well. Regardless, I’m happy, very happy with the entire philosophy. It’s precisely where I think this team should be heading.

As of the moment, we do know the Miami Dolphins have asked the Bears permission to interview their DC Vic Fangio. Fangio is a long time NFL defensive coach, since 1995, first with the Carolina Panthers, the Indianapolis Colts, The Houston Texans, San Francisco 49ers and then of course the Chicago Bears. The Bears lead the NFL allowing only 17.7 PPG, astounding in this new era of high scoring affairs. Personnel always has something to do with it, and the Bears trading for Khalil Mack had a huge impact on the defense.

Other names that will be bandied about are Mike McCarthy, Bruce Arians, Urban Meyer, Eric Bieniemy, Mike Munchak, Rex Ryan and more . . .

When Chris Grier makes his decision, I hope that the Head Coach chosen share many of the same philosophies and visions for the team, and then are able to fill out their staff with qualified coordinators. I truly hope that ST’s coordinator Darren Rizzi is still part of our team. Special teams has been an excellent unit here, and that’s all due to Rizzi, so I hope he’s being considered.

Here’s to hoping that we finally got this right, and Dolphins fans everywhere can enjoy competitive football for many years to come. As I’ve said in other articles, taking a step or two backwards is a necessary part of rebuilding, and I’m willing to take those lumps. A 3-13 or 4-12 season will bring better things for 2020, when some serious QB talent is expected to be available. That doesn’t mean I think we shouldn’t take one this season, I definitely hope we do. Doesn’t have to be early, but we need competition at the QB position, so somewhere in this draft I hope we find it.

Happy New Year!

1,658 Responses to Happy New Year Dolphins Fans

Parkey poor fucker

Remember Parkey in your thoughts and prayers tonight

No Porkey for Parkey

Man, that really sucks for the Bears. So damn close, and now it’s all ovah

The Miami Miracle
    The Midway Double Doink

Cody Parkey, the entire universe just gave you a collective hug… you need it. Man!

8. BailBondMike says:

Feel bad for the Bears. Now lets go hire Fangio! Something tells me he might not go anywhere unless the situation is right for him.

I wanted the Bears to win, I feel bad, but then I think about the Ravens losing, and all is well again.

Nick Foles stock rises again

Hey BB Mike,

If we were to sign Fangio ASAP, I’d bet he now has HUGE respect for Nick Foles defeating his #1 Defense. I’d say Fangio might even pursue Foles as our next QB.

—————–
    Helps to have a nice O-Line, as the Eagles have.

16. ElephantRider says:

Bears are fools gold. Been saying it all year.

17. Nick Foles reads the D well, audibled to other plays successfully today, moved around to avoid pressure, made plays under pressure and did a great job today to take his team down the field and win the game. He deserves a lot of credit.

I’m willing to sign Nick Foles, if the price is right. Let’s be honest: he’s only started 9 regular season games over the last 3 years, and he’s been up and down (more up than down, really). However, it is what it is. I can’t just go out there and sign him to a 3-year, $20M/per year contract.

I don’t know if he has the stamina/consistency (remember Matt Moore?), and the most games Foles has ever started in a single season is 11, back in ’15.

Could we land him for the $13M we’d free up by cutting/trading Tannehill? If so, I’M IN.

And NO(!)… if the Eagles want to re-up him, I’m NOT trading for him. We’ve been down that road all too many times.

I really want to draft a QB

Signing one should be cheap and short term

Absolutely agreed. I don’t want a FA QB to be our long-term future, but rather a short-term place-holder for the rookie we draft… either this year or next.

19. ElephantRider says:

Rather just go with Falk/Fales if rebuilding. Why spend the money….especially if drafting QB early. Throw him out there and see what hes got.

From what Ross has said it would not be likely that we sign a FA QB, that seems to be a win now philosophy,

I would assume we have to get past Tannehills dead money first and buy time to reload in other areas. i think Drafting a QB either this year or next and going with who’s on the roster at this point seems more likely.

That was a crucial time out for Pederson, you would think having had a practice kick would make the next kick easier.

22. John Harbaugh is signed thru 2019 so the only way the Phins would acquire him is thru trade. Ravens would reportedly be seeking two first rd picks as compensation. Would you be willing to do that?

To me, this is a Ross/Tannenbaum move that sets the team back further. So, after all the TALK of saying they are rebuilding and not going to be in win now mode this would be the most Ross/Tannenbaum move ever.

The contract doesn’t prevent them from firing him

If no one trades for him, there a pretty good chance they fire him
      Unfortunately, that will take longer to develop than you want for hiring a HC

But it’s possible the Ravens asks for 1 1st or morenintially and then lower the demands significantly when no one wants to make that trade for the same reasons we don’t want to

It’s unsual to trade for a coach

Didn’t know before today that Kris Richard played for the Phins. Got axed in the final cuts, but he was here. And Saban cut him… that’s a positive. 🙂

I think out of the choices that have been publicized I am leaning towards Eric Bieniemy or Rizzi.

Rock — either way….. seems real likely you get your blow it up. Gonna be a most interesting off season. First who it the HC and then what does he do.

That is where I am at. I’d like to see Rizzi get a shot, but I do think there is some concern about what kind of staff he can put together.

Bieniemy is a solid choice, but is he going to want to come to Miami? He’ll likely have his pick of teams.

ocalarob says:
    January 7, 2019 at 8:20 am

———————————————————–
    Depends on the QB you get. McCown and Fitzpatrick are near idea transition QB’s because they are QB smart, a coach-player that you aren’t expecting to win now with but they help make a successful transition to a new QB since you dont have to throw them to the wolves and you dont have to leave them out there if you do put them out and they really flounder. I dont think anything about Fitzpatrick or McCown, or even Bridgewater say win now.

There are no FA QB’s outside of maybe Nick Foles that says we are getting this guy to be our starter for the future. Bridgewater says you think he could be but i dont think you pay him to be the future either. All these QB’s are 7-8mil one to two year contracts and they are temporary solutions.

If you get rid of Tanny’s horrible contract, re-coup 13mil of it and use 7-8 to sing a transition vet just to keep your rookie from being overwhelmed, you still pocket 5mil back to spend on another position. We could go no-vet, not backup option, which is what Falk and Fales would be, but thats a lot of pressure to put on the new dude. Some like the sink or swim philosophy when getting a new QB, id rather give him a chance to acclimate, thats why i purpose the transition vet.

I dont think its unusual to trade for a coach, its a commodity just like a player is. You have something people want, you have a contract that makes themyours unless they meat your trade request. I dont think the Ravens are in a position where they want out of the contract. The new QB was drafted by the current coaching staff, there doesnt seem to be a reason they would want to fire him. I would agree that you dont trade for him if you dont have to but i dont see this as any different than a player move. If you have a player and he fits your team you trade if you get the right offer, and you dont if you dont.

Even if they would fire him (which again i dont tink they have motivation to do) it becomes a bidding war, so a trade locks him into being yours. I thin there is a lot of potential that Harbaugh would be traded for if he plays for anything but Balt next year. I really dont know if someone would meet their two firsts price tag, but i dont think the raven cut him if they dont get that offer filled.

I’m not a big fan of any of these coaches, i dont think hey seem a marked improvement over anything. They only off the idea of fresh blood and new ideas and hope for something better, which is fine, but i dont see success stamped on any of them. You also have some guys who have been HC’s before but they didn’t have a lot of success at it, or they are old and it seems that the new way of the NFL is passing them by.

I think id rather have Jim Harbaugh out of all the potentials, but that may not even be a potential since he is still under contract at Michigan. Id be most excited by that hire. That said, Dennis Allen is starting to grow on me, I think Richards and Bienemy are risky but fresh new minds in the NFL on either side of the ball. I like Rizzi’s personality and his connection to the players. I think im in a position right now, that where i cant see a clear cut winner for the job, im ok with whatever decision they make out of the ones they have already spoken with, and unless they add Ryan to that list, i wont have any real opposition to other names that they bring in.

I just want them to get this done so our coach can be involved in the upcoming player events like Senior Bowl and Combine. I really hope we dont risk not having them there when we are looking over some of these QB prospects, because a lot of the success that the coach and Grier will have or not have will depend on that selection.

ocalarob says:
    January 7, 2019 at 8:22 am

—————————————
    I dont believe that icing the kicker really works. I think that when they do miss after the time out lends creedence to it, but how many times does it not make a difference? How many times has it helped. I think it all balances out to it being a bogus thing.

I mean it could have just as easily happened that the first kick bounced around like that and the second one, after the time out went right down the middle. That has happened plenty too. They got lucky is all. The icing shit doesnt really work.

I agree with this and the numbers appear to back up your point of view. This article is from 2011, so it’s possible the numbers have changed, but kicker percentage goes up significantly after an ‘icing’ attempt.

Also Philly didn’t rush the first kick because the whistle blew, and I read an article this morning that says that Hester tipped the ball likely causing the missed kick. Video is inconclusive, but it looks possible. Maybe it gets tipped on the 1st kick if they had rushed, so it wasn’t so much icing as it was just another clutch play by Philly.

Most kickers say they like when the other team calls a TO. But, that second kick was tipped, so who knows if the TO made a difference. I tend to think they don’t. If your kicker is that fragile mentally, they probably wouldn’t be playing in the NFL anyway.

Eagles said it was tipped at least….. and see not reason why they would fib about it. If so, not all on Parkey unless was low, and didn’t look that.

We’re already spending over $13M on Tannehill, and he won’t be our QB. No futher spending on the QB position! We have Falk and Fales and the QB we draft. Keep saving cap money and roll into the next season, and the next. No need for a 1YR transition deal for a QB.

I sense that you’re suggesting we tank in ’19! 😉

You can say that. We’re just not going to waste any financial resources on a 1 year deal that won’t really make a difference for a franchise. I would expect we will struggle next year, and that’s fine. No one seems to mind when other teams trade all their stud players and throw in the towel and then get a top pick, so no one should care when we do it.

We’ll just have to wait and see what the future holds. IMO? Our franchise QB isn’t there to be had in the ’19 Draft. Take that for what it’s worth! 😉

Mikey im looking at it as having a mentor in the building to help the rookie along. I dont wanna go into the year with a Rookie and the best we have as a mentor in the QB room is Fales. I dont think thats giving the QB a good chance at success. Having the vet transition guy makes shit a lot easier on the transition of the rookie to be the starter, both from a mentor aspect and a no pressure in development aspect.

Thats why i would see it taking some stupid level offer to get him. something we shouldn’t be interested in doing.

VERY MUCH agreed. I won’t trade for Harbaugh, period. What’s more (as I’ve stated before), it’s most unwise for Steve Ross to commit himself to the brothers… blood is thicker than water.

34. ElephantRider says:

Mike E

That’s where i’m at with the QB situation. And hey, you never know what can happen!

Id feel different if we had a QB capable of mentoring the rookie already on the roster, if if that guy wasnt good enough to be a starter, but someone that knows how to be a QB. I dont wanna spend to get a starting quality guy, i wasn’t to to spend enough not to just have the rookie hung out to dry.

D – I don’t really expect the QB we draft in this draft to be our franchise QB. He might be, but that’s the QB coach’s job to bring the QB along. We need talent at QB even if we draft a QB in 2020 early. We need to have talent and competition.

I agree with that but i want to give the guy an adequate shot, i just dont want to fuck the kid up right out the gate. I dont see the harm in doing a transition guy, still save money off whats left from Tanny’s cap savings and then draft a guy, give him a chance to get acclimated to NFL speed, and then maybe draft again next year and let the 2nd year guy and the new rookie duke it out. We might find though we dont have to draft again, if the transition guy is phased out by week 6 or 7, we could get a real feel of the rookie and know if we need to draft again in 2020.

If we are gonna go total rebuild….. how about kick the tires on Kaep if he is in shape? He’ll come on the cheap.

Hell no….
      Not worth it for the shit it will stir. He burned down any chance to be in Miami with that shirt he wore about Castro. I think he would be bad for fan relations like on a HUGE level.

I seriously hope you were joking about that lol.

You have a point on the Castro shirt….. but yeah was serious. Don’t let politics get too much in the way of my football. And dude has not committed a crime. Plus he can play some, and back to would come cheap.

Wha???

Stanger,

I seriously doubt Kap could even pass a drug test right now, let alone still be in football shape. And that’s just coming from the football side of things, let alone the political ramifications of what he’s done on the sideline and off the gridiron. He’s DONE.

All it takes is a call to find out. He says no and then he does. Can play better than what we have on the roster and he sure got Nike’s sales going.

I don’t see Foles being a fit for a rebuild. I think he’d be a good fit for the Giants though.

Stanger – I see no reason to bring Kaep here now. We’re in the beginning of rebuilding, what would be the point of bringing him in? 1 YR show me deal? He’s going to be 32, and he hasn’t played football in what will be 3 years. What’s your rationale for bringing him here?

Just to have a QB that makes things more interesting in 2019. And dude has — or at least did have — a scrambling make a play kind of talent that would work well with what assume will be a rebuilding team. Was in no way suggesting would be the QB of the future, especially given his age. But might be a good transition guy and a possible back-up for whoever is….. or maybe even the back up next year. Never really cared about the political part…. and always though he should be on an NFL roster.

I think the last thing a new HC wants is a media circus following his team for all the wrong reasons.

I think you are right in that Mike E….. but just brainstorming. And I at least would be cool with him showing up to camp, even if also understand the spotlight would come with. But if team is going rebuild, why not take that on?

January 7, 2019 at 2:55 pm
    ————–
    Stanger, Kap is DONE. He’d likely be murdered in South Beach, and who really cares about Nike’s sales unless one is an investor in Nike? And even if Steve Ross was an investor in Nike, I KNOW he’s smart enough not to bring a mouse into a land of mice traps… that which Kap laid for himself.

HE’S DONE.

It’s time to stockpile young QBs and let them compete. Not vets. Keep searching for “the guy”.

46. Just want to say one last thing about the head coach search. When you have a chance to hire someone from the Andy Reid coaching tree you do it. You don’t choose sloppy seconds.

D,
    Tanny is not the sort of guy I’d want mentoring a rookie QB. He doesn’t have a great QB mind himself and has never looked like he has great QB/football smarts. Just let the guy go and move on.

I just realized David Fales is a FA next season. That just leaves Luke Falk (if we trade or cut Tannehill)

You just now realized that?!! Yessir, we’ve got to find a FA QB… even as a backup to Falk (who isn’t the one).

• ElephantRider says:

According to folks around here, can put anything out there at QB and not notice a difference. So QB i’m not worried about. Besides…..arent we tanking for Tua?

I don’t want to “tank” for anybody, but IF we were to, it would be for a QB in the ’20 Draft class.

The strangest thing is this: 2 of our last 3 HCs have made the playoffs in their first year on the job (Sparano and Gase).

But then again, we’ve been mired in mediocrity. If we don’t get bounced out of the Wildcard round with ease, we JUST miss out on the playoffs every year.

Something has to change to get us out of the mediocrity bubble.

Sometimes teams can get a spark out of change, and that can give them that first year success. I think though Gase really didnt d much in his first year. A lot was mad about the 6 game streak we went on, but when i looked it up earlier this year, we really havent beat many good teams. We have strung together some wins against bad/sub .500 teams. Our wins in the time Gase was our HC have not been quality wins showing we were arriving as a team. I was glad to get them, dont get me wrog, but we got a false sense of accomplishment.

Randy says:
    January 7, 2019 at 3:34 pm

D,
    ———————————————-
    Me either, i dont want Tanny mentoring anyone, nor Fales, thats why i was pushing for Fitzpatrick or McCown as the mentor/transition guy. Both know the QB position, they just werent talented enough to play it at an elite level.

I really dont think we are going to have to tank to rank in the bottom of the league next year. No that i dont think first year success might not happen, but by the time the next coach is done making all his changes to get his team, im betting we look pretty vulnerable lol.

I bet next years team we will look at nd go…welll ummm….its a team alright!

January 7, 2019 at 4:31 pm

———————————————-
    I dont think the guy is any good. Im not biased against his political stuff, i have my own feeling on that but him as the QB of this team, i just dont think he offers us anything that betters this team. He would be a horrible mentor, he is a system QB and most dont run that kind of system (we dont know who we will have at HC/OC so im not sure we wont, but its unlikely). I just see no benefit to Kaepernick and a lot of negatives with him, specifically the Castro thing.

Just throwing stuff around D. Not sold on who is on the roster right now for next year other than Tanny (and that not “sold” either). Have a hard time seeing Fales as the QB for next year, at least not without bringing someone else in.

mf13ss says:
      January 7, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Suffice it to say, our chances of finding a franchise QB is exponentially greater in 2020 than this year.
      —————————————-
      I really dont think so. This pool this year isnt as bereft of talent as everyone thinks it is. I think there are some good candidates this year. You have a couple splashy player types in 2020 but i feel solid about this group too.

55. ElephantRider says:

M

Tua is that QB in 2020.

I’m very well aware of Tua, good friend, but there are a few others who could be very good QBs as well. The 2019 college football season will reveal much more: it’s far too early to anoint anybody, and God forbid one of these QBs suffer major injuries.

Time shall reveal! 🙂

—————–
    DON’T DO IT, he’s not worth the gamble. 1-year starter, and we all know how that generally works out.

D,
    Sorry, I must’ve misread your post. I thought you wanted Tanny as a mentor. Thank Jahn you didn’t, or I would have had to ask MikeE to get his hand involved. Lol

I’m leaning towards using this draft to build our defense. It seems to be the strength of this draft, and these playoffs are proving yet again that defense wins championships. Get this defense a couple more stud players, and we have a chance to be pretty good in a few years.

D says:
    January 7, 2019 at 5:59 pm

mf13ss says:
    January 7, 2019 at 5:34 pm

—————————————-

D says:
    January 7, 2019 at 4:33 pm
    An one of them is John Denney……again

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

mf13ss says:
    January 7, 2019 at 3:49 pm (Edit)

*****************

LOL – You said that like I work for the Dolphins FO. 🙂

Did we fire Tannehill yet?

Get Haskins, there’s your rebuild

I’m not stuck on any QB this year. It doesn’t have to be a the 1st RD either. Just bring in a talented QB, and we’ll see what happens. I’m looking to ’20 for our QB, but it would be nice to have a QB problem with too much talent, something that never happens here.

Grier, despite me not knowing really all that much about him, gives me a lot of confidence. I feel like he’s going to do a great job and get us where we want to go. He’s going to get his coach and then together they’ll get themselves a quarterback, a good one.

No way should be able to get Haskins, if we do it’s another get rich quick scheme and we will be draft poor for future years I believe you can trade #1 draft picks up to 4 years in advance.

.depending on who’s there at 13 trade back get draft rich, get a 2020 1st rnder for trading back, Tank next year and we will be in a great position to take the best QB. if he’s not there wait another year acquire more picks.

be patient.

The Cowboys coach that played in Miami might be a smart choice.

Maybe let Rizzi take over until one of the Harbaughs becomes free.

Kris Richard, I was close

I like him so far

72. naplesfan2010 says:

Please god do not hire Dennis Allen.
    My two faves so far are Kris Richard and Eric Bieniemy.

Oh And Rizzi. Only thing is he might bring in his good buddy who just got fired from jests
    and i don’t think he is a good enough DC.

73. naplesfan2010 says:

PLEASE GOD NO GREG SCHIANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renee Richards. He can relate to both sexes very well. Good hire!

Son – You like Reshad? Let him go win a SB, Wake too. That ain’t happening here for at least 2-3 years.

We’re not as bad off as everyone suddenly thinks. Shit a few weeks ago we all thought playoffs were possible. We need a good quarterback so bad. We need D line and healthy Oline. I don’t see it as so dire. Keep adding talent and don’t be stupid.
      Get a quarterback and go

I’m just going to throw this out there. The teams interviewing these asst. coaches for HC positions know more about them than any of us here, and even they don’t know if they will be successful or not. So this idea that we fans know who is good and who isn’t is silly. We have no say in it anyway so just go with the flow and hope for the best.

10 HCs in the playoffs this year are first time HCs meaning they never were HCs anywhere else before they held the job with their current teams. Some are newer than others and some have been grinding for a few years or more. Nobody knows how it’s going to pan out. There are very few HCs in the league that are on their second team as HCs. Just saying!

We start scoring like a normal offense our defense suddenly won’t look so bad

The defense also needs more work. But we were very young and knew in all phases. It wasn’t just about QB on offense either.

He said “Rockits” – Fail

Rockets red glare 🚀

I’m watching 99 Raekwon Smith

I’m going Clemson 🐅

Son, I also think we have a young core where if we have two good offseasons in a row from here, we could be one of those up and coming teams in 2021. It doesn’t have to take 4-5 years. It can be 2-3 easily, and along the way you don’t have to suck. It’s not like we have no talent, but we don’t know who will still be on the team during that breakout 3rd season.

Pick 6 Clemson
    Thanks Tua

Our QB just got pick 6ed

Then BOOM!!! LOL

Our QB just threw a beauty of a TD

86. naplesfan2010 says:

Saban got speed matched against a run support safety one on one. …great coaching.

Mando basically has his face in Tua’s crotch. Relax, dude! LOL

Is Tua reportedly going to declare for the draft this year? If not, kind of early for 2020 no? LOL

He’s really young (20) and just a sophomore.

• ElephantRider says:

Hes got IT…..cant teach that apparently

I’d be careful with that. He plays on a team that sends 10+ players to the NFL every year and multiple 1st rounders every year. Now everyone is Alabama when it comes to your competition. You don’t get to play the business and liberal arts students 5-6 times per year. LOL

I mean right everyone expects him to go 1 in 2020

But honestly I’ve seen qbs drop significantly in a year
      Hard to believe Bama won’t be good in 2020
      Or he won’t be go

Would really take a 180
      But it happens

Go 🐅

Signed 🐖

Rumors spreading that a Brian Flores is the front runner to get HC job with Dolphins

A clone or the real Brian Flores? 😉

But the source of the rumor isn’t reliable

His resume is very versatile. I don’t know much about him but how would I? I didn’t know who Sean McVay was other than name as a young asst. coach. Do we really know these guys?

No one really knows until they get to work
        Predictions on this subject are bullshit
        I don’t take anyone’s preferences seriously
        With the exception of people noting prior success or prior failure as a HC

But performance as an assistant has limited value in terms of predicting success if you ask me

It looks like Fangio and Munchak might be out

92. ElephantRider says:

I want no Cheatriot garbage here!

Anyone know how many HC’s were in the league this past year who have been HC’s for two different teams in the NFL? The answer my friend is you can’t count them on one hand, so you need your other hand. 😉

94. ElephantRider says:

Tua has a very high ceiling. What he did as a freshman was nerves of steel. Cant teach that either.

On Alabama. Not putting the kid down just saying maybe realize he’ll still have a learning curve in the NFL. The league that plays for pay.

Feaster Bunny

96. naplesfan2010 says:

helmet to helmet on the QB run.

Etienne is a nice back

Maybe Tua wants to Tank for us

2 picks Tua

100. TryPod says:

Long story short- my daughter was looking at 2 schools: Alabama and University of South Carolina. I’m so glad she chose USC. I really don’t like Dabo, but Satan is Satan.. Go Tigers!!! And yes, I know the difference between USC and Clemson.

🐅 / 🐓

• naplesfan2010 says:

gosh
      what is there to not like about Dabo? He seems like a very nice person.
      Not even homering for Clemson, as I went to grad school at Carolina and was born and raised in the state.

just never heard anybody say anything bad about Dabo.

• TryPod says:

I’d rather not get into it- let’s just say he has things he believes that I don’t agree with. To each his own.

ETN again!

January 7, 2019 at 8:58 pm

Crickets?

Wow
    He didn’t see that coming

This Alabama/Clemson rival is awesome if not boring. LOL

107. naplesfan2010 says:

They changed the Parkey kick to a blocked kick instead of a missed FG.

108. naplesfan2010 says:

Piggy i heard a rumor that the frontrunner for HC at Miami is Richard with Rizzi the dark horse.

6 out of 7 first time head coaches hired in 2016 are no longer at their jobs. The other? one the superbowl last year.

110. naplesfan2010 says:

I’m glad to not get Munchak. He’s done.

Trevor Lawrence looks a lot like a Rogers Waters

112. naplesfan2010 says:

My wife just watched the Saban halftime interview. Her comment.
    “Is that guy gay?” … “He sounds so effeminate.”
    Mind you, she’s not against ppl being gay;
    she said, “I didn’t think a gay guy could be a football coach.”

I am so tired of waiting to find out who our head coach is going to be. It seems like every 2-3 years we have to hire a new one……

• naplesfan2010 says:

Gase let me down big time.
      I really thought he was the guy to be coach 10-15 yrs at a high level of team success.
      I am still really disappointed in the way it went.

Wonder why????
      Mr blow it the fuck up!

Wyoming, don’t put that on me. It had to happen. Gase is gone. Tannenbaum is gone. There is a chance Grier might succeed.

Is this standard procedure when removing some one

WTF is this halftime?

116. naplesfan2010 says:

Clemson can’t feel safe with the RBs bama has.
    Plus that guy Jeudy is dangerous.
    And one year their TE beat us.
    15 points is not enough lead to relax.
    We miss our big guy on the DL.

117. naplesfan2010 says:

I’d rather have watched Lil Kim than Lil Wayne.

If I never see Lil Wayne perform again it will be perfect

Harris is a good back that doesn’t get a lot of attention

Boom 💥

Wow!!!

No Senor!

We discuss 4-3 vs. 3-4 DEF and then we see that the LAC DEF played 7 DBs against Jackson and the Ravens 58 out of 59 snaps.

It’s a nickel and dime game. Just be stout up front and you’re okay. Secondary is huge and we have that.

Build on it!

We didn’t get any comp picks btw

Mother do you think they’ll drop the bomb

127. naplesfan2010 says:

We just ate ’em alive at the goal line.

That Clemson DL makes me really happy at #13. Some great talent Clelin!

Alabama got destroyed. Wow!

130. naplesfan2010 says:

Go my mighty Tigers.
    Go Dolphins.

Tank for skank. Never do it! It’s a fallacy. Playing good ball is as good as adding talent and there is always plenty available.

132. naplesfan2010 says:

Trypod.
    Sir.
    Is it Swinney’s calling on the Lord that bothers you? I understand what you mean. I do not agree with that. I wish he would not invoke Jesus as he does. Even though I do love Jesus.

I do not think that Clemson won because God favored them or blessed them in some supernatural way.

I think we just beat the shit out of Alabama.

133. ElephantRider says:

LaFleur GB’s new HC?? I guess I missed something on TN’s offense……he must be friends with Rodgers.

Last night the conversation on twitter changed from tank for Tua to Tank for Trevor
    Bc Twitter is the knee jerk capital of the internet

WELL THAT WAS A MAJOR LEAGUE ASS-KICKING CLEMSON PUT ON ALABAMA!!! – – AND the biggest reason why it happened was CLEMSON’s DEFENSE!! – – I’m starting to come around to the idea that the Fins should go O-Line and D-Line in rounds 1 and 2, given the unlikely scenario of getting a stud QB in round 1. STILL, if our future starting QB can be had, we’ve GOT to get him!!
    ———————-
    SOME HC candidates will become head coaches within the next 3-5 days. ARIANS definitely seems headed to the Bucs. Meanwhile, look for ROSS to, once again, pick THE WRONG GUY!!
    no chance THAT THIS FOOTBALL CLUELESS OWNER will pick the best man for the job. Instead of wondering who our next HC will be, I’ll be focussing on WHO WILL BE OUR NEXT OWNER.

Lafluer blocks Gase from Green Bay job.

Gase we can’t have you come in here and start getting rid of our best players, as I’m sure Gase had a difficult time explaining this in his interviews.

CBS Sports has us taking QB Daniel Jones in their latest mock @13

You can see a player like Jones being hyped up and turning into a 1st rounder easily

It’s similar to what happened to Patrick Mahomes or EJ Manuel before th draft obviously with much different results

Teams don’t just reach for QBs
      But usually every year, some one gets a little more attention in the weeks before a draft and all of the sudden – he’s a high pick

————–
    This was a cute tweet that should be taken with a grain of salt. Even Gil knew as much went he hit the post button.

Would GM GIl Brandt really be planing his team’s future around taking a QB in the 2021 draft? And unless he would be sucking for Luck….. whoever got the top pick might feel the exact same way and just say no. But guess just put out the grain of salt you talked about. 🙂

Gil (WAY more so than me!!!) and I have both seen freshmen QBs tear up the NCAA. And we both know that so much can happen between now and draft eligibility. Least of which is GAME TAPE. The secret is now out.

Yes… AMERICA now has their eyes on one Trevor Lawrence, and I think we all hope the very best for him! I hope young Trevor can handle his newfound celebrity in the most responsible of ways, for there are too many tales of those who could not…

Brian Flores emerging as top candidate for Dolphins head coach position

This one get’s me upset. WHY!? What has he done? The only fruit from that coaching tree has been rotten. Not ONE of belicheat’s assistants has been a successful head coach. Bat has confirmed that the assistant coaches were not part the the deal made between NE and hell.

“what has he done” – I.e. he doesn’t design plays, he doesn’t call plays, he is not even a coordinator. Piss on him!

From the Phinsider poll:

Who do you want to be the next head coach of the Miami Dolphins?
    23% Patriots LB coach Brian Flores

26% Cowboys DB coach Kris Richard

3% Saints DC Dennis Allen

12% Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy

36% Dolphins STC Darren Rizzi

Obviously (to me at least) a bunch of morons read the phinsider….

They are just fans like us. And this one knows little about any of them except for Rizzi, who I do like but wouldn’t be crushed if does not get the job

I was just throwing that out there as an opinionated dickhead. Like I know any better than they do! LOL I just don’t want Flores of all the choices he is the lowest on my list.

M13 — I can’t remember which movie, but Trevor Lawrence with the long blond hair reminds me of the QB who came in a threw like anything in a football movie. Think he was from Cali and it was a high school team. Was it Remember the Titans?

Honest to God, my good Brother Stanger, I’m not the guy to ask about movies. Many of my friends bust on me for not knowing or seeing many movies, but it’s true… I’m really not a movie buff, bud.

That said, I could talk to you to ETERNITY about Star Wars, Indiana Jones, horror flicks, and certain movies that I will go out of my way to see! 🙂

A fresh complication for Xavien Howard in his quest to be league’s richest cornerback:

Damarius Bilbo, the Atlanta-based sports agent who helped Jarvis Landry land a lucrative long-term contract with the Browns and had hoped to do the same with Xavien Howard this spring, has been suspended for three months by his industry’s governing body.

M13 — I found him, and yeah it was Remember the Titans (worth a watch). Think you will see why was thinking Trevor Lawrence

next ex-head coach…..sigh

• ElephantRider says:

Says the guy that’s been harping for the team to tank for the last several weeks…..

His 1st point is the only one with validity. We may not land a top coach prospect because they don’t want to lose the 1st year or 2.

His 2nd point about FAs not wanting to come here is stupid, because the point is to get away from high priced FAs.

His 3rd point about fans calling it quits is stupid, because if the plan works and we actually become a good team, they will return. If you build it, they will come.

And this article is such a load of douchebaggery. What was this article meant to accomplish other than sow seeds of discord?

Mando gets off on the negative sometimes. Nobody knows how any of this is going to go down.

Terrell Buckley Inducted Into College Football Hall Of Fame

Good for him. Toast will never see the ballot for NFL hall of fame. TOAST Buckley. He was Chris Chambers on Defense.

Chambers would make an incredible circus catch on one play and then drop the easy pass right in his numbers on the next play.

Toast would make an Int on one drive and then try and miss on the next to give up the TD. He was so frustrating I wound up hating the player and wishing him gone.

He’s my front runner. Seems like he’d be good for our team. No more corpse we need some emotion from our coach. He’ll know how to get our defense going too.

We play in Dallas next year I wonder if it will be on Thanksgiving

1 in 8 chance, except with them trying to put div games at the end even better than that. Actually hope so. National TV and creates more possibles for the fest. We don’t like no stinking turkeys for the fest. 🙂

I love Thanksgiving Dolphins games. Thank you, Leon Lett!!!

KONG: Somewhere I have the headline from USA TODAY which said “Cowboys ‘LETT’ one get away!”

156. naplesfan2010 says:

Go Tigers

I’m happy for you man what a great win

• naplesfan2010 says:

… just very inspiring to see a smaller school have success and do it the right way with the players and their parents almost universally happy with the total experience.

I AM a big fan of Dabo Swinney…both the person and the coach.

Naples, I think you know how “Dabo” got that name, no?

PHELONIUS PHISH: AS OF TODAY, I’ve NOT received your $50 check you said you mailed about a week ago.
    DO I NEED to give you my address again?

159. TryPod says:

naplesfan2010 says:
    January 7, 2019 at 11:58 pm
    Trypod.
    Sir.

I think we just beat the shit out of Alabama.
    —————————
    Mr Naples- no need to be formal. I’m fairly non-confrontational.
    You asked me about Swinney. Yes, he has said some fairly stupid things. I cannot keep track of everything that has come out of his mouth that I find stupefying. I Googled “Stupid things Swinney said” and was greeted with several links to stories on the subject. Some I knew about, others I learned about for the first time.
    You know how butt-hurt some people get when an athlete or an entertainer makes some political or social statement? I think coaches should be held to the same standard.
    I’m glad Clemson best Alabama. Enjoy your “We” moment.

“That boy” had his boys playing at a high level last night

I like Swinney a lot. He says what he thinks and doesn’t back down to people who expect him to toe the line. Hell of a coach too considering he completely out-coached the best in the business. His recruiting is amazing too.

162. TryPod says:

I was just responding to Naples direct question. I don’t expect many or any to she with me, not to say if they like him or not. “I don’t like him” doesn’t mean “I hate him” or that he can’t coach. I don’t like hypocrisy as rule.

• TryPod says:

*agree with me, nor to say if they

• New Age says:

I don’t know his hypocrisy too much so maybe that’s why. I’m also tired of the Saban dynasty so that could be part of my thoughts as well. I liked Richt a lot and he wasn’t really a great coach so no biggie. We all have our guys we like and dislike in all phases of sports.

ElephantRider says:
    January 8, 2019 at 3:00 pm

What!? Me? Never! You have never ever ever heard me root to lose.

Wasn’t set up and wishing for Gase to get fired? yes but I have never ever rooted for the Miami Dolphins to lose a game

OD, I believe Ross said Grier makes all football decisions. Of course Ross will be in the know and sign the checks.

Man people on Omar and Mando’s twitter etc. are real worry warts. If we wait too long to hire our HC we might not get good assistants for the staff. As if they know WTF they’re talking about. LOL

I’m not really a fan of the article Mando wrote about us tanking. First off, tanking is not entirley accurate. We’re going to try to get younger, and while doing that, shed some of the higher contracts. That doesn’t guarantee we’re going to be terrible, and it definitely doesn’t mean we’re not going to try to win games.

Agreed. I also have no real horse in the HC race and coaches usually hire people they know or are currently available looking for a job but have good reputations. Whoever the HC and staff are I’m just going with the flow. What we do personnel wise is what I’m really interested in. That and what type of team they want to be. Besides winning, wise guys. LOL

Is it true the Cardinals are going with Angela Lansbury as HC?

son of a son of a shula says:
    January 8, 2019 at 6:23 pm
    “That boy” had his boys playing at a high level last night
    —————–
    You’ve got it, man! Except, it was “dat boy”. Deep south. Hence, “Dabo”.

———-
    Adam Gase, you’re FI—-… oh yeah, you’ve already been fired. Just another example as to why he was fired.

I didn’t understand why he didn’t use Drake more. I know he had a shoulder injury late in the season but even before that he was used sparingly. I thought he was going to be a focus of the offense and that’s why I protected him in FF. We’ll see what the new HC thinks about him along with the OC.

Right now the rumor is Richard is the favorite
    But I’m wondering if a Harbaugh brother is a possibility

The four guys interviewed are still in the playoffs and Harbaugh is negotiating with Baltimore. I haven’t heard even a peep about Jim, I seriously doubt he’s in play. And then there’s Rizzi, who knows where he truly stands in this.

I’m thinking Grier may go with a defensive HC. Our last 4 have been offensive coaches. Get a defensive minded coach and find a OC that fits with his philosophy and let him run it. You can always be in games with good defense. Offense takes you over the top and that will come with some work on the OL and a QB.

175. naplesfan2010 says:

I think (among a lot of other things) Gase was overwhelmed by the choices on offense, especially before all the injuries.

Several commentators laughed about “not having enough footballs to go around,” which is a common joke when an offense has multiple lesser stars (and thus does not have one mega star).

Gase failed to find the right mix of throwing to the smurfs, developing the 3 young TEs, and proportionally splitting carries between Gore and Drake (and ignoring Ballage way too much).

Of course in Gase’s defense, Tannehill has never been real good at spreading the ball around, we have not had a true WR1 in a long time, Gore is 52 yrs old, and 7 of the 11 playmakers were on a different team the previous yr. Throw in the Osweiler games and it’s a hot mess for a play-caller, especially one who must also manage the game cuz he was too stubborn to use a real OC.

Glad you mentioned Tannehill because he had a big hand in our ineptness.
      Turrible

He didn’t do himself any favors down the stretch and once Gase was fired and we went in the new direction I think it became clear he’s not part of the vision moving forward.

Now is the time to let Grier build it the way he envisions it – build on the good young players we do have and keep adding more good young players. With win now out of the mix there can’t be a better time to do it this way.

SPEAKING OF OSWEILER, the Fins defeated the mighty Bears with Brock the Inept at quarterback!! I REALLY BELIEVED, going into the playofffs, the Bears were over rated.
    ——————
    I CAN’T SETTLE THIS DEBT the way I did the old one because A) I don’t have his phone number and B) to the best of my knowledge, I’ve never met this guy.
    ——————
    NOT concerned that Fins haven’t zeroed in on a coaching candidate. There will STILL be plenty of bad choices available a week from now. A local Bucs’ fan, noting Munchak’s statement that he has no interest in working for Ross, said to me “Well, Ross could always offer Gase his old job back!?!?”
    These Buccaneer fans think they are accomplished comedians.

This is all over twitter

Bieniemy is the only offensive coach who’s been interviewed. Even Rizzi and Harbaugh as we know are ST guys.
    I like a Defensive coach for us even if he brings a 3-4. The only problem with that is Gase gave our NT to Buffalo.

I don’t think Phillips would be a good NT. Not consistent enough and lacks the motor to play a really tough position.

179. naplesfan2010 says:

Trypod
    well I typed in “stupid things swinney said” and was met with an article on VS.

The writer ‘s first point was to defend Kaepernick, so he lost me right there.

I am also against college player unions, so I agreed with Dabo on that one also.

The writer said the game is less safe now than it used to be, disagreeing with Dabo, but I played the game back in the day, and the only was it is more dangerous today is the pure size of players and thus over-stress on body parts which can’t be made stronger through weight training. The rules protecting players nowadays are much stricter and violent collisions are much less frequent.

Anyway, I don’t need to defend Swinney. So I will stop.

I am a strong supporter of separating church and state, so if Dabo wants to make a rule that players must attend church, that is wrong, but I do not find any evidence of coercion.

However, invoking high moral standards while teaching teenagers how to become good men is not mixing church and state, it is what every parent, coach, teacher, and rock star ought to be doing 24/7.

• TryPod says:

I don’t think any of this makes him a horrible human being. I just said I didn’t like him. I certainly was not trying to affect yours or anyone else’s opinion of him. To each his own.

180. naplesfan2010 says:

I don’t get Mando’s lamenting “how long” the coach search is taking.
    We need to get this right, not fast.
    I get not wanting to lose a good hire to another team, but I do not think Arians is a good fit for us at all, LaFleur is less than a 50/50 to succeed, and Kingsbury is a prayer in the desert.

Munchak and Fangio are stodgy frumps, relics who have not kept up with the times, although they are good football men who have coached well in the past. I don’t want them here, either.

I think we need an uptempo guy, but not a chaotic guy like Gase. We need toughness, but not stubbornness like Gase displayed. We need someone to keep the players loose, but not get into peer level hissy fit power struggles that make over-achievers into divas like what happened with Landry and Phillips and Ajayi.

Rizzi has to blow them away with his plan on how to turn the team around. Everyone in the building already knows him and loves him. The other guys had to meet and greet and put their plan together. I’d have no problem with Rizzi but my gut says Flores or Richard – defensive coach.

182. dcoralsprings says:

I get the dumping high price tag fa etc
    And build young is always a good idea to me,
    We may have to bring in a fa qb to help transition

But doesn’t the current bargaining agreement state we have to spend X percent (huge) of the cap to player contract ie: can’t keep it ?

You can rollover a % but you also don’t have to lock up any high priced UFAs long-term. Sign more 2nd tier guys than the big fish. If you spread your FA out at multiple positions with young talent now you have more competition throughout the team and the chance to build chemistry moving forward with the best of the lot. In a few years when you think your close maybe then you target a big time FA or make a trade to help put you over the top.

183. ElephantRider says:

Rock

My comment was directed at Mando and his article….not you. 🙂

184. ElephantRider says:

Rizzi can explain how he gets the most out of each player. If anybody comes in and says I will adapt to each players strengths, hire that guy!

Gase always said he would gameplan and each week would be different depending on the matchups. Never saw it….ever .

It did happen but each week we lost another player. The team was playing backups to backups and guys off the street at the end. It doesn’t matter now. Let’s hope the new regime has more good fortune. 🙂

The Gase project didn’t work.

• ElephantRider says:

I never saw it. No Stills, no TEs, only the same WR screens and abandoned run game. If he was limited by QB that’s on him too.
        I pulled for him and he never changed anything.
        Injuries happened and what changed?

So now Gase’s only shot pretty much has to be with the Jest, right? I haven’t seen anything saying the Bengals are interviewing him.

Yeah he only interviewed with ARZ, GB and NYJ, all teams with QBs – Rodgers and the youngins Rosen and Darnold. I did see a tweet on the SS as a possible OC at Alabama due to his ties with Saban.

ER, not saying nothing wasn’t on Gase, just that it wasn’t ideal. The team fell apart which is also a problem. Even one of our best players in Howard missed the last 3 games. I mean come on! WTF with so many guys going down?!!!

• ElephantRider says:

It’s an annual event down there. I dont know. At least M is working on solving the mystery. 😉

Gase definitely was losing the team towards the end. Oh well….on to the next one! Its gotta end one day right?

GO Fins

187. ukfinfan says:

Morning mob and Happy New Year to everyone. Quick fly by – saw some posts about TL. I know Simon Clancy isn’t liked by some of y’all, but this is a good read if you have nothing better to do in between play-off weekends in which the Dolphins fail to appear yet again.

Here’s hoping the next reset reaps more results than the last eleventeen (sic)

Good to see you OK — and great article. I’ve always like Simon’s stuff…. and seemed he’s moved up i the world to the point where he gets to visit high school prospects.

• ukfinfan says:

Thanks Stanger – you too and glad you enjoyed your vacay. Sounds very cool.

Simon is doing well for himself. He was a producer for the BBC sports prog but also writes for Gridiron UK, a nationwide magazine and is a journalist with Joe.UK now. Top chap …… except he supports Liverpool – my soccer team’s hated enemy. He has a MILLION connections with American Footy at all levels including inside the Fins. He doesn’t always get it right – he loved Gase. He’s bigging up Richards at the mo. He created he Legion of Boom and turned Da Bears into a top D (Khalil Mack didn’t do them any harm either!) A good follow on Twitter, if you happen to Tweet.

Well if Simon supports Liverpool he is right happy now (yeah watched a lot of BBC over the holidays). And glad he has turned his passion into his profession, very few get to do that. But he used to blow me away with how much he knew about college football prospects that one year at the SS. Would be like me breaking down cricket test match rosters better than any Brit could do.

NEW BLOG UP!