I watch free agency with no real regrets or jealousy to what other teams are accomplishing. Teams are spending record amounts of money on salaries as it usually goes. Players aren’t better than they used to be, there’s just more cap space available and players are demanding more. Crazy trades are happening as well, and I’m actually happy for the Cleveland Browns. They have some great fans in Cleveland, they deserve this. I think back to 1995 when Art Modell decided to move the Browns to Baltimore and created the new franchise the Baltimore Ravens. Cleveland Browns fans had to wait 4 years to have football back as they created the new Cleveland Browns expansion team. Yeah, they deserve some good things so best of luck to them.

At the moment, just by virtue of talent we are the bottom feeders of our division. We’re following a strict plan and I’m very thankful that they haven’t blinked yet. The lone addition we have made is bringing in 29 year old TE Dwayne Allen, primarily a blocking TE. We let our young starting RT leave for greener pastures in Denver. We didn’t even try to stop Cam Wake from going to Tennessee. No effort was made to keep Frank Gore here. There are a number of veteran players that likely will be cut yet still remain. They remain because the team would prefer to extract some value in a trade, and trades are happening wildly all throughout the NFL. Robert Quinn, Josh Sitton, Ryan Tannehill, Kenny Stills and Reshad Jones all still remain, and some may end up being here for part or all of the 2019 season if a trade isn’t accomplished.

The key point is the mission seems to be clear. We’re clearing out the roster and preparing for a new direction. Not surprising, we’ve being doing a version of this what seems like every 3 years or so as we change coaching staffs, but this one is different. Not because of Brian Flores, this is more about Chris Grier, and maybe to some degree Steve Ross. They’re tired of treading water and I’m tired of watching them do it. Clearing the roster and then signing big money free agents is a contradiction. Clearing the roster says we’re starting anew, and then reaching for a star player with big $$$ attached who can help you win now but not later is completely at odds. Give Grier credit, he’s following through with his mission, and is staying the course.

The Dolphins did make one recent signing and I like it. DeVante Parker wanted to stay here, and the Miami Dolphins gave him yet another chance to fulfill his potential. The basic parameters are 2 years at $10M, with potentially as much as $13M if performance incentives are reached. Considering the 5th YR option was for $9.4M all guaranteed, this is a win. None of the 2nd year is guaranteed. This is an opportunity for Parker to do what we all thought he was capable of doing. Will he do it? It doesn’t matter, it was a good signing. Low risk, high reward, and that’s the right way to do it. It won’t be like this forever, but for this season and maybe next, the key to the vault has been thrown away.

There will be rough times ahead mateys, so batten down the hatches. Ryan Tannehill is still the QB and we basically have one good OL to count on (Laremy Tunsil). We need help in the trenches on both sides of the ball and although we were in it for Trey Flowers for about 5 minutes, he eventually went to the Lions for 5 years $90M. Crazy! The Jets have added some serious talent to build around their young QB Sam Darnold. LB C.J. Mosley signed for 5YR/$85M and then just last night Le’Veon Bell signed for 4YR/$52M. The Jets also added slot WR Jamison Crowder, but they did lose out on LB Anthony Barr who left the Jets at the hangar as he ended up staying home with the Vikes.

There are still a couple of things that have great interest to me that have yet to shake out. The Arizona Cardinals are purportedly going to take QB Kyler Murray at #1 in the 2019 Draft. That doesn’t mean they have to trade Josh Rosen, but it’s pretty likely they will to get back some value. How much compensation it will take to procure Rosen is up in the air. The compensation is whatever a team is willing to pay, and we all know that can get crazy. Some think a 2nd or even a 3rd round pick might get it done, but it could end up being a 1st RD pick and more. I would be very interested in Josh Rosen for a 3rd RD pick, and even up to a 2nd RD pick. I think that’s where I would cut it off. I’ve already explained here that he was on a terrible team with a coach that was fired after 1 season. We need talent at the QB position, and I don’t think we’re going to have a shot at Dwayne Haskins at #13, and I refuse to trade up. Destroying all our draft capital for one pick is also not part of rebuilding. Stay the course.

So as we currently stand, we are the worst team in the AFC East, and it’s OK. Not because we’re “tanking”, that’s ridiculous. We’re rebuilding. We’re not mandating to our players to lose, we’re just changing over the roster and not making any “win now” moves. I still think Ryan Tannehill and Robert Quinn will be gone soon. I also think it’s still possible that the Dolphins trade Reshad Jones, but less so than I used to. We just signed CB Eric Rowe who was with the Eagles and Patriots to a one year deal. Rowe has only played 12 games the last 2 seasons due to groin injuries. I remember Rowe well, he was a combine MONSTER. at 6’1 205, Rowe ran a 4.45 40, put up 19 reps, 39″ vertical, 125″ broad jump, 6.7 3 cone, 3.97 20 YD shuttle, ALL in the top performers category. This kid is a quick twitch athlete and an exciting athletic talent and at $3.5M, it’s another low risk, high reward signing.

Hang in there Dolphins fans, we’re finally doing it right. It may be painful in the short term, but it will pay off long term If you’ve been miserable with 6-10, 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 and once in a blue moon 10-6, this is the way to end all that. Be patient, because this year will hurt. We may not be very good, and the other teams in our division have made substantial gains. One step back, two steps forward.

#staythecourse

1,235 Responses to 2019 Miami Dolphins – Behind the curve, but finally breaking away from mediocrity – “Staying the course”

ORob,
    I’m asking because I really don’t know, but isn’t it against the rules for an NFL club to show interest in college players who still have college eligibility? How have we shown interest in Tua? I think your comments on waiting to take a QB to have him under contract cheaper, longer makes sense. The other side of that is there is no guarantee you can draft your QB when you want to…and…you lose a year of development and continuity in your offense too. Then, what if that guy ends up not being THE guy? That sets you back even further by needing yet another year to replace him…and hope you get it right that time. There are plenty of ways to skin a cat, but I think you need to be ready to draft a QB whenever the situation…and the right guy in your estimation….presents itself. If that’s this year, do it because there’s no guarantee that scenario will even be there next year.

2. True or False. Teams that sign a bunch of high priced free agents automatically get better.

Lou,
    I would have no problem with them focusing on defense in this draft. We have some nice young pieces to build with on defense, and building a defense first is actually a sound plan. Our offense is much farther away.

• I agree with you that we could have a great start building the defense in this draft but I think they are going to be aggressive going after a quarterback.

When I heard Grier say he wants to build a team the way he knows a team should be built I took it for granted he would do what we’re talking about, but the more I think about it I think he could have just as well meant they had no viable option at quarterback for the longest time and it’s time to go out and get your guy.

Even if we take a qb in the first, we can still add pieces to both sides of the ball in the draft this year. Just not as many. I’d be thrilled if we took a blue chip defender in the first. But, if we find our franchise qb who helps turn the fortunes of this team around I can’t argue with that either.

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    March 14, 2019 at 3:21 pm
    This team is not tanking. They’re going to go after their franchise qb THIS year, whether it’s in the draft or by trade.
    ______________________________________________________

LOL….Gee let’s see we didn’t resign James, We let Wake..Gore…Branch…Amendola..Larsen …sitton…and others walk. We couldn’t sign Bridgewater due to money issues…we picked up a blocking TE and a depth guy at CB.

I CALL THAT TANKING!

At best it would appear we can do at QB in the draft is either Lock or Jones, Neither are considered franchise guys.
    I highly doubt we go QB at 13, more like OL or DL and i think we continue to take OL and DL for the most part in the draft.
    why draft your franchise guy this year, wait until next year, then you draft your guy, he will be playing on a rookie contract for 4 to 5 years and will give you money to allocate to other positions during that time.
    why waste a year?

7. lol. wow. OV still going off about Tannehill on Twitter;

Olivier Vernon

Verified account

@oliviervernon54
    Follow @oliviervernon54

Olivier Vernon Retweeted Matt Hazel
    The man has had the most all-time leading “Pass” I’ve ever seen in this business. #crazy

8. I now truly believe that one of the biggest problems with this team over the past few years has been what OV is tweeting about. Tannehill getting a “pass” while everyone else needs to earn it.

I really believe other players on the team didn’t agree with it and probably even resented him for it because they had to compete for a position while he had the starting qb position handed to him every year without having to compete for it.

So, we cut ties with Tannehill and bring in some qb talent things may just get a lot better just because of that.

Most teams don’t have QB competitions, they roll with the QB they believe to be their guy whether right or wrong. That might change for us this year but it’s not common. There is a saying if you have two QBs you don’t have one.

• I think what he and OTHER players meant was he didn’t deserve to be just handed to qb spot every year; that he wasn’t starter material but they kept giving him the shot at starting without bringing in anyone else to try and upgrade.

And that’s where I’m coming from as well. He wasn’t all that great, yet he was given the opportunity to start every year. Other teams would have tried to upgrade the position a long time ago based on how he was playing.

Can Matt Khalil play RT and is he still playing at a high level?

These are my exact same thoughts. I’ll see what I can find out.

He missed all of last season with a knee injury. Not a major injury, he had arthroscopic surgery. He did play all of ’17. I didn’t really watch him, can’t say how well he played.

According to USC’s website…

“2009: Kalil served as a backup right offensive tackle as a redshirt freshman in 2009, but played primarily on special teams. He started against Boston College and performed well, and saw limited action in 11 other games in 2009 (all but Arizona State).”

So yes, he’s played RT in the past.

10. naplesfan2010 says:

Mike e
    Going to visit my middle son who just got married in November.

Always be leery about OL that are released. Teams don’t usually release quality OL unless it’s purely about money.

Lou – Football players talk all the time, it’s one thing to say it in person to people, another thing to broadcast it on twitter. That’s how I feel Lou, it’s unprofessional

We should have moved up to get DeShaun Watson, kept Landry and it could be us that OBJ was coming to. Kept Suh as well.

Lou,

You don’t seem to understand the Ryan Tannehill/Dolphins situation now, do you?

In 2012 (another ‘rebuild’), Joe Philbin couldn’t find anyone to join his staff, other than old man Mike Sherman. Sherman then brought half his staff to Miami, and naturally favored Tannehill from A&M.

After that all went to hell, Ross still believed in Tannehill… thus he sought out a so-called ‘QB guru’ to fix him. Enter Adam Gase. And we all know how that turned out.

And after allowing Mike Tannenbaum to sign Tannehill to booku-bucks (along with $uh), we were well on our way to cap hell.

Ya see… STEVE ROSS was the problem, along with MIKE TANNENBAUM. THAT is why they invested so much time, money, and energy on Tannehill. And I’d swear that Mike Sherman has served as a shadow adviser to Ross ever since he was fired as OC: too many connections to dismiss.

But to be sure, it’s time to move past Ryan Tannehill.

I realize that you’ve despised Tannehill since day 1, but I’m giving you the answer as to why we kept him around for so long.

• yes, but none of that matters. the fact is, they kept him around longer than they should have and players resented it. players know when they have a quarterback who will put them in the best situation to win games and when they have a qb who is capable of winning games for them/can bring a team from behind to win games for them.

they also understand when they’re wasting their time playing for a team that has a qb who isn’t capable of doing any of that and the team doesn’t want to move on from him.

so, it doesn’t matter WHY he was kept around so long. It only matters that he was and that the team didn’t bring in anyone else to compete with him to give them a better chance of winning.

there’s a lot of talk about tanking going on right now and Grier stated that “you can’t ask players to put their health on the line every week for a team that’s trying to lose games”.

the situation with Tannehill was the same thing. they were asking players to play hard every week when they didn’t have a quarterback who was capable of helping them win games.

Pretty crazy that the Broncos are scheduled to get a comp pick for Billy Turner. Just another example of Adam Gase’s ‘Napoleon complex’.

Turner is average at best and we saw him suck. I don’t see how they get a comp pick for Turner after signing James to much more. Comp picks are a balance of gains and losses, not just losses.

Some of us could see tanbehill for what he was from very early on. I’m not surprised in the least if some players did too. But, Vernon is still a douche for tweeting something. You could say he’s been highly overpaid for his limited talents too.

• well, the tweets from OV started because of Adam Beasley’s original tweet that said he could understand why Tannehill was still on the roster but why was Quinn still on it. That’s what set OV off in defense of Quinn because he said Quinn at least did something to earn it while Tannehill was given the most ridiculous “pass” ever.

Toba

If you are out there
    Please explain this?!?

Vernon should count his blessings with the contract the Giants gave him because he’s extremely overpaid and not on that level.

• while I’ve said in the past I wouldn’t have paid OV what the Giants paid at least he has produced, whereas, Tannehill has not. if anyone is extremely overpaid, it’s Tannehill

I’m not comparing the two but since you brought it up. Vernon is not an elite pass rusher but at the time of his contract he was paid as the highest edge rusher. Tannehill was paid middle of the road starter money.

So now we compare Tannehill to DEs? This pile on the guy stuff is way over the top. Like I said this offseason, I hope Tannehill goes somewhere else so I don’t have to hear all this crap anymore. Something tells me when we do people will still talk about him 2-3 years from now. LOL

If they were going to release him but kept him on for the bonus, it seems like a trade is in the works. So it seems we’re either keeping him or trading him. Possibly restructuring his contract to keep him and paid the bonus in good faith.

He has some trade value

I don’t know how much – but I think teams want multiple pass rushers

23. shit, if anyone was overpaid it was the qb

The word “overpaid” is relative. There really isn’t such a thing in a free market society. It would be nice if it didn’t cost $500 to take your family to a ballgame but supposedly that’s not because of these obscene salaries. Greed is still good.

Vernon got paid what he did because of PFF’s pressure numbers. You know a pressure – where he made the QB get rid of the ball even if he completed it, but he was close. LOL

A source in Davie claims that during Teddy’s visit Ryan Tannehill sat in front of his locker and was continuously repeating each division and which teams are in it. Tannehill when asked why said it’s important that the new coach knows I know them otherwise I might be out in San Francisco in the stupid AFC South.

————–
    GET HIM, DOLPHINS!!!

Lou,

I told ya the rationale as to why we kept Tannehill on for so long… now he’s soon to be gone under new leadership. I’m with Tim, in that you’re beating a dead horse when comparing DEs to QBs at this point… SHEESH.

We cannot change the past, but we sure as hell can change course… and we ARE.

And I do NOT mind visiting the past, so as to conclude better decision-making… but what you’re doing here with Tannehill is just NUTS.

So to sum it up? MANY people have been fired over the decision to ride with Tannehill. MULTIPLE ‘regimes’ now.

We’ve moving on.

29. Pass rushers are just as valued as qb’s and will always be overpaid. So will QB’s. Regardless of where Tannehill’s salary was in relation to other qb’s his production didn’t warrant it.

———–
    😡

Now then… Mike Glennon? Or do we trade for Josh Rosen once the Cardinals officially draft Kyler Murray?

I’m not sure Rosen fits the criteria of what we’re looking for in a QB. He’s a bit cocky, doesn’t really display leadership qualities as in he doesn’t really connect with his teammates. He has talent, just not sure he’s the right fit. We’ll see.

Hello Colts this is Grier and I’m looking for some Brisket. I’ll send Tannyhill and Quinn and a 3rd from next year, do we have a deal?

Bridgewater has a vagina

^
      “Uhh, no, I don’t want to start, it’s too scary. I’ll just collect a paycheck and watch Brees.”

37. the cold, hard truth of the matter whether you like it or not is players didn’t like playing with Tannehill. people talk about his toughness. okay, he was tough. but, he wasn’t a very good quarterback.

as long as he’s part of this team they aren’t doing anything with anyone. they need to cut him NOW. they can’t wait any longer. players talk. do you think other players don’t know the way Tannehill’s teammates felt about playing with him. he wasted the careers of a lot of guys.

Guys, we ARE tanking the ’19 campaign.

40. I’d take AJ McCarron. He’s not as bad as you would think

I wouldn’t be shocked by that. He’s got some experience. We could end up with something like that, Rudock, Falk and a rookie – maybe even a mid rd guy.

I’m thinking it’s a good thing I can’t post at work!
    By the time I get home it seems very insignificant!!!!!

Piggie: it was only sheets of styrofoam LOL.. wish I could send ya pics of my usual drive and my detour today. .. my car was covered in 1/2 inch of ice , corner we work at was closed going East , icy as shit going West , so I went North and was clear as daylight.. very weird

Lou -Stop picking on the Tann-gina. lol

Tank for Tua

Was just thinking about how we showed a lot of interest in Kyler Murray at his pro day, and also Tyrod Taylor and Teddy Bridgewater. All can run RPO offenses. Food for thought.

Bridgewater was capable of running an RPO. Now he wants to chill and collect a check

RPO is the new NFL. It’s one of those times that if you are rebooting your team and you want to innovate right now that’s the system the NFL hasnt fully adjusted to on defenses. It’s also a lot closer to what the college game is and the college game supplies the players to the NFL. This was coming even though the NFL has held out as long as it could fighting it

Most college QBs that entered the NFL in the past 10 years probably are capable or running an RPO offense

D,
    One adjustment to RPO is getting smaller, quicker defenders at the second level. We’re already seeing it with safeties playing linebacker. I think what we are gonna start seeing is teams returning to power running to take advantage of those small defenders. Or, maybe I’m just hoping that happens. Lol

Oh I know the NFL defense will adjust I’m just saying right now the RPO is the most progressive system so if you ate rebuilding it’s like you go that way because that’s where the talent is

I don’t think it’s ready to loop back around to power running nothing looks that way right now. It will happen since everything happens in cycles but I think we ate a loooong ways away. Look at the college game, when power running comes back there it won’t be long and it will be back in the NFL. Alabama is one of the most traditional power run programs and even they have started running more spread based stuff.

What if That gets hurt, what if he returns for his senior year?

D,
    If you could still pop a QB in the mouth when he ran, RPO wouldn’t be a thing. Lol

Tim:
    Bridgewater was not particularly mobile and he is certainly is less so now with that reconstructed knee. He is not a good RPO QB

Ken, everything from current on is a IF scenario. We have no clue how things will shape out. I definitely don’t wanna be talking tank two years in a row. The best chance we have is to make moves every year until we get it right. We can’t sit back and wait. We have done that too long already

Next year is a much better QB class than this year. Quite frankly I don’t think we will be good for several years. There is not a lot of talent on this team

QB savior narrative. Yuk!

OMG I really am getting a kick out of reading you guys!

OH NO OUR SAVIOR!

Erhardt-Perkins

That is what they are going to run

Fix the trenches or whatever new toy you guys pine over will suck.

YOUR TEAM
    MIAMI DOLPHINS
    YOUR PICKS
    1: R1P13 EDGE JOSH ALLEN KENTUCKY
    2: R2P24 C GARRETT BRADBURY NORTH CAROLINA STATE
    3: R2P32 G MICHAEL DEITER WISCONSIN
    4: R3P14 DL GERALD WILLIS III MIAMI
    5: R4P14 LB JOSIAH TAUAEFA UTSA
    6: R5P13 RB BENNY SNELL JR. KENTUCKY
    7: R6P15 DL TERRY BECKNER JR. MISSOURI
    8: R7P20 LB CAMERON SMITH USC

D,
    I don’t think college ball is nearly as cyclical as the NFL. I doubt they will ever go back to more power running. Defenses just can’t adjust like they do in the NFL.

• New Age says:

I agree. The Pats have pushed their run game the past few years with solid success. Nothing controls a game nearly as well. Players practice less and less each CBA and this affects tacking much more than run blocking. Watching teams like the Rams are fun but so is watching teams that slowly crush the other team’s defense with the run.

I’m really starting to crush on Snell.

So far our OL looks like this.
    LT Tunsil
    LG?
    C Kilgore
    RG Davis
    RT?

I’m pretty happy we didn’t get Bridgewater. If he was really in high demands, he wouldn’t have headed back to NO. Grier stuck to his assessments and we aren’t going to overpay. Watching other teams blow money in the pursuit of the Philly 2011 Dream Team has been cathartic…especially with us not participating.

Some teams improved greatly but it’s always the media’s job to push narratives. No team has won the SB in March. I’m more intrigued with how Grier and co. builds this than any FA signings this month.

63. dloxahatchee says:

At the KM pro day in Oklahoma the guy back wearing the Dolphins jacket is none other than our very own Matt Moore

64. dloxahatchee says:

Yup we moved about five years ago up into palm beach county, figured if the Dolphins can bring in a fresh new look maybe I should follow along !

Welcome to the blog dloxahatchee! Yeah, I saw that pic of Matt Moore, I think Omar was calling him out as a Dolphins scout

What a great free agency by Miami, the non moves were spectacular!

Welcome to the blog ocalarob!

Let Luke Falk be our starter!

I’m not sure we will even draft a QB early, maybe in the later rounds 4th and on.
    OL & DL early

Tim – I thought dlox was a new blogger so I welcomed him to the blog. It’s DCoral. I felt very silly!

bullet proof coffee is the shit!

Does it give you the shits?

• ocalarob says:

no, it helps with brain function! a euphoric feeling, almost to the point of being high!
        your brain is made of fat and the mct oil goes right thru your digestive system into your bloodstream directly to your brain, within minutes you will feel better than you ever have.
        definitely brain food, i get chills down my back i feel so good, been doing it for 3 weeks now

• ocalarob says:

tablespoon of mct oil, $12 for 16oz at wal-mart, order online and pick it up at the store.
        tablespoon of GHEE, get it at your local supermarket $5.
        mix that with a cup of coffee as a mixture,
        poor a 3rd into your cup and the rest coffee.

drink 3 of them using all the mixture.
        taste good!

then hang on!

best thing i’ve ever had as far as health goes

Why does every reporter write “Dolphins miss out on Teddy Bridgewater”? Don’t they realize he he doesn’t have his heart in it anymore? Why is it automatically the Dolphins fault?

They like twisting the knife with fans. Talk about being silly. LOL

• ocalarob says:

because he wanted 16 mil to be miamis starter and they were offering much lower, i’m not sure it was a heart thing, it was business, the going rate for a vet is 16m, doesn’t seem miami was even close to that number so why uproot from where you are? he got 7.25 to hold a clipboard.
      not to mention i think it’s good for miami as well, he may have led this team to more victories and killed our draft status next year.

I think miss out is such a negative terminology for “negotiations ended without a signing”. Negotiations have to have both sides agree or they end, they could have easily wrote it this way “Teddy B misses out on an opportunity to start with the Dolphins”. the other just get more clicks because the reporters love to hate us and figure we do too at this point.

Rob – Not sure if you ever saw the movie “Rounders”. If you did, Teddy B wants $16M when only one other team is offering $7.25M. Not much leverage there. Like Knish says in Rounders, you need $15K now and I need a blow job from Christy Turlington

Not only that, he got 7.25 and incentives that could make it up to 12mil. That means their incentives are, that for some reason he has to start for an extended period of time he will get bonuses to give him up to 12. He probably got an offer from us, in that 7-8mil range i was talking about but he wanted something better than the 12 that his incentives get him with the saints. We arent looking at him the same way they are, infact we are probably looking at him the opposite, we are looking to get him under a contract that could make him a starter who becomes the backup and the Saints offered one that was for a backup who could become the starter.

We werent desperate to get Teddy B so we didnt miss out, we just chose not to pay him what he was asking for and instead to go a different direction. Its not like that was the only opportunity or even the last good one. We are where we are and we still have plenty of options available.

Well there you go.

Browns already knew that im sure. They arent paying him anything and will ride with him on the bench and pay him his mil to basically reserve him until he comes off suspension.

Im intersted to see what the plan is moving forward, what peeps are they gonna add on the cheap. I am sure there will be some signings, they just wont be splashy, we gotta restock the shelves though.

I am too. It’s fun to watch it unfold, even there aren’t any big splashes

I think we’ll sign a few more guys in the Allen and Rowe range. Then the draft and a whole bunch of UDFAs. We’ll probably pluck from the waiver wire after the June 1st cuts too.

We are the browns 2 to 3 years ago

Bortles might be in play here, he is young, as starting experience and probably is going to be pseudo desperate to get a shot to start again. I think he might take the deal that Teddy B didnt. He also wouldn’t have to relocate if he didn’t want to, well his family.

Yuck. I hope they don’t do that. I don’t think he’s a reclamation project

Im not promoting it, just stating the obvious. He’s in Florida already, he probably takes a team friendly deal to be a vet QB, he is still young, and i dont think he necessarily cant be reformed, though i tend to agree with you its a much more uphill climb with him.

He’s also a Florida native, s not only is this his home because of playing for the Jags, he played for a Florida college, and he played in the Florida HS system, like some of the players that wanna stay west coast, he probably wants to stay in Florida and would take less money to do so.

• ocalarob says:

Luke Falk

Also have McCarron, and RG3 available.

Stupid Miami fans…you will get Ryan Tannehill at QB for one more year and like it!

Im looking at bargain hunting Mike E stop peeing on my popped tags!

I wonder if there’s a deadline when Miami has to either release Tannehill or pay him???

I dont think so, though he gets a prorated amount of the salary part for however long he is with us. They could cut him middle of the year and get back 6.5mil if ya see what i mean. They just wont get the 13.2 anymore.

Tanny get 13.4, pretty much has it as of now. The 13.2 is salary, so the longer he is here, the more of that salary he has earned. As far as the cap hit, he will be considered as 26.6 against the cap until we cut him.

D – I really don’t see the problem. Someone has to play QB. Miami doesn’t need the cap room this year that cutting him would bring. Why not keep him until someone’s QB goes down in pre-season or during the year? Then he has trade value. Doesn’t stop the team from drafting a QB and even starting him this year. And next year drafting whomever they want.

• ocalarob says:

I don’t think Bridgewater….Rosen…or whomever else is on the Miami Roster could beat out Tanny, That said I also think we need to move on from him but he may at this point be the best option for 2019.

• pheloniusphish says:

That’s what I’m saying. They can always cut him when they get the QB that they want. Why use draft capital this year on a stop gap like Rosen or spend most of what they would save on a FA.

If “someone” has to play QB why couldnt that “someone” be Luke Falk. To me that makes a TON more sense than paying Tanny 26.6 this year when we could re-coupe 13, and possibly use it is another year. We can roll it over in the worst case we dont need it.

84. naplesfan2010 says:

I agree with those above who are glad or don’t care we didn’t get teddy b.

I think he’s lost the killer instinct.

Even Rosen would be fresher.

I really think it says something about the makeup of an individual when he turns down an opportunity to start, even considering the $$$ aspect and where the Dolphins are at this time. I’m thrilled we didn’t sign him.

• pheloniusphish says:

He looks like he’s playing reluctantly.

There is 0 reason to roll with Tanny. Hell there is 0 reason to bring in anyone that wont save us money from cutting Tanny. Bridgewater at 16 would have been stupid because we only save 13 cutting Tanny so we now spent 29mil at QB instead of just 26.6. Still if we get someone for 7mil, then we have 6mil to use elsewhere, OR stack on to the next year where we might want to spend a little more in FA. The argument about not needing it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t save it if you can. we can roll it over to where we do need it.

25m
    Rotoworld Football
    @Rotoworld_FB
    Titans RG Josh Kline released after declining pay cut https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines#news-8905536

There is an interior OL guy we might can get. If he declined a pay cut though that means he is looking for what he got last year which was about 5.75mil

RT has 7 + years as a starting QB. That has value when another team’s QB goes down. Doesn’t hurt there to hold on to him for awhile, see if they can get something for him. Cutting him would be stupid.

We arent going to get anything for Tanny and even if by some stretch of the imagination we find a way, he isnt going to get us anything more than a 6th or 7th, because he is a dead man walking and everyone knows it. He also int a QB that you will bring in to salvage your season. He isnt reliable enough to do so. Something in compensation is a pipe dream.

I don’t really get debating FA QBs

Honestly all the options are 💩

Even if we draft a rookie (and I like haskins) it’s basically a developmental year IMO
    We are going to suck at QB in 2019
    Just take it in

Mikey, this is what i meant about Bortles, this is about how i feel about it. Not my suggestion but it makes sense as far as what we are trying to do. Also his feelings about Rosen are pretty much right along what mine are too.

Just figured I’d share this but I don’t agree with it at all.

Free agent OT Cedric Ogbuehi is visiting the Jaguars.
    —————————————–
    While he is in the state we should have him come over to talk.

Former 49ers LB Brock Coyle announced his retirement from the NFL after five seasons.
    ———————————————–
    Sorry M13 your dream has died. Man thats a ton of 9’ers who have ended their careers early in past few years.

Rotoworld Football
    @Rotoworld_FB
    Patriots cut DE Adrian Clayborn after one season
    ————————————————-
    Since we have signed two ex-patriots already thought id post this.

Tim – Yeah, I’m sure Brian Flores wants to answer 1000 Kaepernick questions every freaking day. He’s perfect for that. Greg, sorry bro, but no

Exactly! Flores is all about team first and I’m sure Kaepernick would just quietly blend in without much attention. LOL

While it’s unlikely, it is possible that Kaepernick is rusty from not playing since 2016, say he got beat out by Luke Falk. Then the whole collusion conspiracy starts up and more shit like that and it’s a sideshow a 1st year HC doesn’t need.

pheloniusphish says:
    March 15, 2019 at 10:56 am (Edit)
    He looks like he’s playing reluctantly.
    ***********************************
    Looks like he’s counting on not playing at all

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with signing Kap?!! LOL

Uhhhhhh… we looked into signing Tyrod Taylor and wanted to sign Teddy Bridgewater. Gee I wonder why Dolphins fans aren’t sure who will be the QB this year? SMH

You should tell Omar that Kap is a real possibility for us. He’ll eat that up like nothing and regurgitate it to everyone! LOL

98. BailBondMike says:

I think we should sign QB Garrett Gilbert of Orlando in the AAF. The staff should be familiar with him. He got a SB ring with the Pats in 2014 as a member of their practice squad. He bounced around a few teams since but has been playing decent for Orlando. Through first 5 games he is 93 of 148 for 1,357, 8 TD’s 0 INT’s, 110.7 rating, 18 rush for 64, 1 TD.

Roll with Faulk, Ruddock, Gilbert, and draft a rookie late. May the best man win the job!

Greg Gote at the Herald wrote an article about how Miami should go out and sigh Crapperdick right now. How he is a perfect fit, blah blah blah. I know Cote is not the friggen clueless. It has to be a shit stirring click bate article. I won’t even post the link.

LMAO Rock

Hey Rock, Garrard slipped and fell by his pool, hurt his knee. Looks like Tannehill is free and clear to be our starter.

Breaking News!!!!!

103. Phindog says:

Dov Kleiman

@NFL_DovKleiman

#Titans have traded for QB Ryan Tannehill from the #Dolphins
    11:41 AM – Mar 15, 2019

What do we get in return?

Hey any compensation is good. We now have $43M in cap space too.

Not much, considering a 4th next year is like a 5th this year, and we have to send them our 6th for their 7th. Not really important, I’m just glad that’s settled.

The rebuild appears to be real. 🙂

112. ElephantRider says:

Is there dead money still? If not…WOW!

Good luck Ryan! Now maybe we can stop talking about him and move on. 🙂

Son is going to get wasted tonight. LOL

I don’t think Mando is right about the $5.5M for next year. I thought that was if we cut him or traded him after June 6th

Son needs a new pair of underwear

I get really antsy when I see my Twitter blow up, as it means 1 of 2 things…

1) National/Worldwide event/emergency
    or
    2) Something BIG happened with our Miami Dolphins

Glad it was just the latter.

118. BailBondMike says:

Wake is like, awwwww WTF!

Too bad they didn’t trade him to the Browns and then Mayfield would get hurt. Can you imagine Landry, OBJ and Olivier with Tannehill as the QB?

120. BailBondMike says:

Now sign Gilbert. Let Gilbert, Ruddock, and Falk battle for the job. Use that 4th we gained next year as part of a trade up (if we have to, lol) to get Fromm.

Yes, I wish Ryan Tannehill the VERY best of luck with the Titans. He gave everything he had for this organization and then some. GREAT guy, consummate professional, and very hard worker.

M – Well said – He was good dude, things just didn’t work out like we all wanted them to

Compensation is we give up a 6th they give up a 7th and a 2020 4th

Oddly enough that deal that Tanny signed is pretty much the same one that Bridgewater did with the saints when he turned us down lol

126. BailBondMike says:

Fold for Fromm, LOL

I’m just seeing this right now woohoo

It’s a great day in Miami. We just got better!
    The Tannehill reign of terrible is over.

129. BailBondMike says:

“Dolphins paid $5M of Ryan Tannehill’s $7M fully guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus”
    ————————————–
    Does that 5 mil count more against our cap?

I wonder why the hell the Titans want him oh well just glad they do

All things considered that was pretty much a dump of cap. 6 for a 7 and what has a potential value of a 5th this year. We come out slightly ahead so again, business mine to get cap we will need at some point

I’m glad it got done, but I kinda wish he went to a team with a little more potential to start. I like the guy, he was just in the way of progress

I’m so glad the new regime understood that he had to go. I have full faith in these guys now, well at least until they f it up lol.

This is not how spotrac has it.

How about that….pipe dreams do come true.

So now we have “Tank for Tua”, Hurt for Herbert”, and “Fold for Fromm.”

Really no sense in playing this year. Browns have already won the Championship.

Sonny – You gonna throw a party tonite?

139. naplesfan2010 says:

Why do you guys sometimes say a 4th is worth a 5th?

I guess because you have to wait another year to use the pick, so that’s a year of development lost.

I believe the saying goes “a 5th in the hand is worth a 4th in the bush”

If they trade up for one of the QB’s in this draft I will burn my fan card until this regime goes away too.

You know the saying “they all have warts”

QB’s available in this draft

Pretty savvy of our FO to get some draft capital for Tanny who was a dead man walking.

145. ElephantRider says:

Guess the dead money on RT17 doesnt really matter. They arent going to be spending this year anyway. Now next year they are free and clear, no kicking the can down the road. I would mark this up as Grier doing a really good job.

Now time to trade Reshad!

Yeah i dont want them to trade up either. If we cant get a guy we like at 13 i want us to move on.

Now Mariotta will get hurt week 3, Tanny will come in and average 300+ a game with most of his yardage coming from completions to TEs in the middle of the field, lead the Titans to a playoff win in the Divisional round against the Pets in Gillette, and be named Offensive player of the year.

149. naplesfan2010 says:

I understand all that you guys said, but next year when we use that 4th, it will have its full 4th round value.

Are people just so not good at deferred gratification? I mean the league is not gonna fold before we get to use that pick.

If it makes it that long. Its just right now if we were to try to use is as draft capital, it gonna be valued as a 5th. Yes, next year when its the same year its worth a 4th.

150. BailBondMike says:

Anyone want to buy a T-hill jersey, LOL.

So we have Tank for Tua and Lose for Lawrence, and those didn’t take a ton of creativity. Bomb for Fromm, nice. I also like Flounder for Fromm. Lose with no Care for Hebert (is it pronounced A-Bear like it is down here or Her-Burt?), Part with picks in a hurry, for Kyler Murray?

152. BailBondMike says:

Will the Titans release Blaine Gabbert now? LOL

I think the best way to understand the draft thing is if there’s an elite talent but he’s injured, he’ll normally go in the 2nd RD. Because you don’t have the players services for an entire season, he’s worth a 2nd and not a 1st RD this year. It makes sense to me, not sure it makes sense to you.

I know what they mean but like Naples just said, in next year’s draft the 4th will be a 4th. Nothing wrong with adding draft picks in future years. With where this team is at it’s good to have extra picks. This year take BPA at just about any position and as the team comes together you can start to target specific positions to make a run in 3 years.

Randy says:
    March 14, 2019 at 3:38 pm
    ORob,
    _______________________________________________________________

Hi Randy,
    I just read Miami was interested in him, I think they are evaluating him closely and the Herald picked up on it. I’m not too sure about Tua because he plays on a dominant team against inferior opponents most of the time. not a good litmus test.

I think we need to solidify the trenches first, this is two fold, you get stronger at the LOS and your Q@B is not that good which may insure you a good spot in next years draft and also the money issue.
    hey if Haskins is there i wouldn’t argue that pick however Lock or Jones at 13….I’d rather draft some OL/DL help.

You Tanny has to go guys should be happy. Was shocked that we got a 4th out of it until learning that was cause we paid for it. And assuming that $5 mil will come out of our cap. So both real money and that.

We have plenty of cap for what we need to do this year. Next year we’ll have more and the following year we’ll still likely be in a good shape. The first year of a rebuild is always the toughest for lots of reasons. Saying goodbye to the players you rooted for and realizing it won’t be a winning season. But we get to have hope that we build it right and in a few years we’re relevant.

Cap can be carried over though and Ross always does. So only Q is when and how you spend.

i would assume the best option out there would be kapernick.

Tannehill traded

🎶the Son will come out🎶
    🎶🎶tomorrow tomorrow🎶🎶

It’s “Hoping for Haskins”

We hope he falls to us at 13

Oh boy!

There is some ammo 2020

And I would not rule out a trade down this year to collect another higboicknin 2020

Look at this

March 15, 2019 at 5:34 pm
    realizing it won’t be a winning season.
    _______________________________________

well seeing we only had 2 winning seasons in the last 15 years i don’t think that will come as a surprise.

How refreshing is it to watch our team following the offseason plan exactly like they said it would be. I don’t see Grier as a bullshitter.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re working on other trades. Tannehill wasn’t the easiest trade yet we made it and got solid value. All our moves so far are setup to have a good cap situation moving forward and to add draft picks. That’s how you do a rebuild. After this offseason it’s up to the coaches to establish the culture and type of team they want. We’re going to be a very young team but if we draft well we’ll have a bunch of good ones to build on.

166. Phindog says:

I hope we bring in both Gabbert & Kaepernick so Gabbert can beat him out again and we can cut Kaep and end the bullshit debate that he belong in the NFL. 😎👍

March 15, 2019 at 5:41 pm
    It doesn’t matter what his interest is, it’s about what the team thinks. Yeah sign a pro-Castro guy in Miami. Brilliant! There won’t be too many distractions. LOL
    —————–
    That’s a BINGO!

Very good chance that Kap could get murdered if he were to sign with the Phins.

I’m glad we got something for Tannehill but man does it hurt to keep seeing first round picks leave the organization. That has to stop, or we’ll never build a winner. Not to mention our history of blowing 2nd round picks with regularity. Hopefully, Grier can turn things around.

We didn’t get something out of Tanny we paid for a draft pick. Am surprised Tanny agreed to a lower contract wen could have been a FA, but maybe thought the Titans gig attractive.

Sportrac was the first one to update after the Tanny trade. If that $5 mil comes off our cap they don’t have it at least (even if still skeptical). If they are right though we have $43 mil in cap space. Sounds like time to go OL shopping.

stanger,
    Oh sure! Spoil my attempt to put a positive spin on dumping a top 10 pick. I thought it was my job to piss on people’s cornflakes around here? Lol

173. Phindog says:

Would you guys and girl take Sam Bradford as a bridge QB for 1 year 7 mil now ?

Phindog,
    I seriously doubt Bradford could holdup physically for a season….especially if we have a patchwork OL. I don’t understand why we can’t just go with one of the guys we already have on roster. Pick the guy you like to be our eventual back up and get him some valuable experience.

• BailBondMike says:

^ w/Gilbert added to what we have.

Bomb for Fromm

• Phindog says:

No. I agree. I was just asking a question. I don’t want to but I think they will sign a FA QB to 1 yr 7mil or 2 yr 10 mil . I would draft DL and OL first 3-4 rounds and grab a qb later.

This Tyreek Hill stuff sounds bad.

177. BailBondMike says:

Another QB who will be in next years draft is Ian Book from ND. Going to watch him closely this year to see how much he improves on an all ready good game. He will be in the top 5 in next years draft outside of any setbacks.

Dolphins are reportedly hot on this FA QB to start next season.

180. Sorry I haven’t been around all day. Was running thru my neighborhood screaming with glee and I finally caught my breath

Just bring Dan back his arm is still better than 70%of the QBs out there.

The Dolphins love giving Tannehill money for doing nothing. It’s incredible.

Wow!!! Seriously… the media and some fans don’t get how trading Tannehill for what we did was better than simply releasing him? All we did was backload the cap relief which is fine because we have enough cap to do whatever we want this year in a frugal way, and then be loaded the next two years along with drafts.

You watch, next year… oh right we have an extra 4th rd pick from the Tannehill trade. That’s awesome!!! Just cutting him would have been better to save the same amount of money with no compensation? Money means nothing. That 6th rd pick will set us back years. LOL

Why do people in the business still think we must find a QB or it’s a failure this year? Do they not get what’s going on here that is fantastically obvious? LOL

• New Age says:

It blows my mind too. We robbed the Titans. The likelihood of Tannehill staying for a significant period was very, very low(1%<). They just had to wait us out but valued setting their QB room early in the off-season over a 4th. There were many, many people staying there was zero chance we got anything for Tanny and we nail a 4TH!

It shows that some people value complaining over just about anything else. It's rather sad that people still fall for media tricks. We were the worst team in the NFL last off-season too. If we aren't building easy headlines for lazy ass reporters, we suck. Mando and the rest oscillate between talking about how Miami should tank to denigrating them for not wasting more money and resources during a rebuild. It's either idiocy or pathetic narrative pushing.

• ElephantRider says:

Paid $5M for that 4th rd pick next year. Still, cleared the books next year and off they go.

186. naplesfan2010 says:

So on draft day can you go up to Goodell and give him $5M for a 4th round draft pick?

But would every team do that if they were allowed?

So, smart move by Grier to buy the 4th for peanuts.
    Ye s

187. Krishna says:

Stay the course……

188. Krishna says:

…and no to bradford…

189. Krishna says:

Please, don’t trade or give up one of our best players, Rashad Jones.

I don’t see how any Dolphins fan can be upset about the way we traded Tannehill, especially if all you wanted was for him to be outta here.

Krishna – We don’t have to trade Reshad, I would trade him only if he nets us a good pick in either 2019 or 2020. You see now that we’re rebuilding, it makes more sense to get value for the future than to keep a player who won’t make much of an impact by the time we’re ready to compete. There’s a plan in place, and if we could add another high pick for next year, say a 3rd RD pick for Reshad, we have the flexibility to do a lot of things in next years draft, along with having plenty of cap space to get the players we want. I’m excited we have a direction finally, now we just #staythecourse

192. naplesfan2010 says:

What if we trade Reshad and th gets hurt?

T.J. McDonald? Next man up. We’re not winning games because of Reshad and we won’t be losing any w/o him either, he’s just one guy, but if we can get a high pick for him to help us do what we need to do next year, I’m all for it. We’re not tanking, but I don’t think we’re super worried about W/L this season, we’re just trying to change over the roster, and set ourselves up for next years draft and the year after that too. Arm yourself with picks and cap space and you can really change the complexion of your team.

Rock – Thanks for the assist! Muy bueno!

194. I have my favorite quarterback in this draft and that guy is Haskins but I’m to the point right now that I trust this regime in Miami so much to get it done that I don’t care who they take because I think they can take any qb and make him into a starter.

I’m seeing and hearing murmurs that the Giants are going to get Rosen, which only leaves Denver ahead of us as a team likely to take a QB. It’s not completely far fetched that Haskins can be there when we pick. Of course some team can move up also, but if the NYG get Rosen, Haskins could be ours at #13

• everything I’ve heard about the Giants is they are all in on Eli for this year and are going to wait until next yr to address the qb situation. everything I’ve read seems to suggest they are going to take their DE to replace OV early and possibly offensive line with the CLE pick.

CIN possibly is looking at a qb but I really think they either go Jones or Lock and especially Jones because of Zac.

Denver is the wildcard but I think Elway falls in love with either Jones or Lock as well rather than going with Haskins. I think Lock is probably the favorite to go there due to his ability to run with the football. Elway would like to get a guy who reminds him of himself with mobility. Haskins being a pure pocket passer is most likely out of the question.

195. BailBondMike says:

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 24 (OAK): Lawrence, Dexter, DT, Clemson (A)
    Round 1 Pick 31 (LAR): Cajuste, Yodny, OT, West Virginia (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 16: Ximines, Oshane, DE, Old Dominion (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 14: McCoy, Erik, OG/C, Texas AM (A)
    Round 3 Pick 30 (LAR): Brown, Blace, CB, Troy (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 35 (LAR): Allen, Zach, DE, Boston College (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 14: Hyatt, Mitch, OT, Clemson (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Henderson, Darrell, RB, Memphis (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Boykin, Miles, WR, Notre Dame (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 20: Tauaefa, Josiah, ILB, Texas-San Antonio (A+)

196. with the large amount of cap space we have next yr there’s ppl from the Phins beat writers to fans who think we’re going crazy in FA next yr and it’s not going to happen. Grier wants to build a solid foundation of players that he and Flores likes and not pay for some other teams guys looking for a big payday.

they’re going to use that cap to re-sign our guys we want to keep because WE picked them and maybe even trade for a player we really like and need to fit under the cap and THEN maybe bring in a guy here or there in FA but they’re not spending wildly in FA like CLE and NYJ did.

I don’t think we’re going to go on a spending spree but there may be a player we want that that we have an opportunity to get. Signing our own good young players is definitely something we should be able to accomplish.

• I agree that will we spend some money on a FA or FA’s but I also think we’re not going to overpay any of them. So, if there’s a guy we like and he’s looking for more than what we want to give him I still think we pass.

I really feel these guys understand how to get it done and will give us the mix we need between the draft, udfa’s, FA and trades to get us to where we’re competitive every year.

197. I’m just putting this out there now. In 3 years we will be back on top of the AFC East and will become a perennial playoff contender.

198. BailBondMike says:

Mike E, Oak took Montez Sweat

199. I know this team really needs help on the offensive and defensive lines but if their qb is staring them in the face at #13 I really don’t see them passing up the opportunity to get him either. QB is too important a position to take for granted and if the guy they really want is there they’re going for it.

I’d love to be able to take one of these blue chip d linemen at that point but you can’t take for granted you’ll have the opportunity to go get your guy in another draft and you also don’t want to be in the position to HAVE to get a qb in a draft and take one just to take one rather than him being the guy you truly wanted

IF we truly are trying to rebuild and set ourselves up to have a winning football team in, say, 3 years, it makes absolutely no sense to keep guys like Reshad. I like Reshad as a player, but his value on the team for the next 3 years will be far less than it is now in a trade. You don’t give him away but if you can get even a fair trade, I think you do it….and I’d do that for any veteran on the team who really won’t be a valuable asset in 3 years. If winning now isn’t the goal, you use your assets to build for the future.