The Wedge Scouting Report: Noah Spence, LB/DE

Blew up another planet and exterminated another entire species last week!

BOOM!

I’m a Superstar Intergalactic Agent.  One of the best!  A planet destroying award winner with an outstanding record of destroying lifeforms!

But things weren’t always so great for me…I’m ashamed to admit…that once days were dark for me…You see I used to be addicted to Hapkomah Dice.

Everyday I used to play the dice.  I don’t know what it was, I didn’t always win.  Actually I lost a lot – but the risk, the risk was a rush.  There’s nothing like those dice in your hands, right before you role WOW…I miss it.

wedgeDiceFace

I used to dream about the dice…every morning…every night…for breakfast…for lunch…for dinner.

GIVE ME THE HAPKOMAH DICE

Um…I guess I developed kinda a problem

I guess you can say I was an addict.

And then…ROCK BOTTOM.  I was strung out.  I forgot to launch and missed a deadline to destroy an entire galaxy we were planning to eliminate for a millennium.

StrungOut Wedge

Well no big deal…we blew up that galaxy a year later and I gave up the dice.

Sort of reminds me of Ohio State…no Eastern Kentucky pass rusher Noah Spence

NoahSpence6

If you don’t know by now Noah Spence is one of many pass rushers available in the 2016 NFL draft.  And he was kicked out of Ohio State for positive drug tests.

Before he was kicked out of Ohio State, Spence was a starter for the Buckeyes in his very first year, not easy to do on that talented team.  In 2013 Noah Spence compiled 52 tackles, and 8 sacks in 12 starts.

NoahSpence4

But 2014 was not so smooth for Spence.  He was suspended for his bowl game and the first two games on 2014.  Then he tested positive again a second time in 2014.

Spence’s problem was with ecstasy.  He openly admitted he had a problem and went into a drug treatment program.  Spence had to watch the Buckeyes make history and win the 2015 College Championship on TV like the rest of us.

NoahSpence2

He didn’t come out in the 2015 draft through.  Spence transferred to little ole’ Eastern Kentucky.  What can I tell you about Eastern Kentucky?  Well I think its on the Eastern side of Kentucky and Noah Spence played there for a year.

And did he ever play.

In 2015 Noah Spence had 11.5 sacks and was a force on the field.

He bounced back!  Just like me!

NoahSpence7

So why should an NFL team take a chance Spence?

Well if 6-3, 252 pounds with speed doesn’t excite you…then you should find your way to the next planet I destroy…because you are not alive.

But do you want to spend a high pick on a guy with that checkered history.  Spence is expected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL draft.

NoahSpence5

So he is quite a risk.

Which also reminds me of dice…

If Noah Spence was a Alien Weapon of Destruction, he would be the deadly

Hapkomah Dice!

I hate you Hapkomah Dice…But I love you too.

SpenceDice

Check Out his highlights here.

Aside | This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS. Bookmark the permalink.

683 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: Noah Spence, LB/DE

I agree Tim – More control just takes it out of the hands of a normal average citizen who rightfully should be able to obtain a gun if they meet the the appropriate criteria. Maybe they should have better background checks and a more thorough vetting process before some gets a gun, but illegal guns are obtained easily enough for criminals who want them.

The vast majority of guns used in the mass shooting were obtained legally. Controlling the legal distribution of firearms is essential to minimizing these mass shootings.

I do think they’re sold too openly. But I’m still not sure more control will cut down on it as much as we wish. People adapt. The black market will play a more prominent role.

Ken

So you think a guy has a major gripe, and he’s crazy enough to go to a school and shoot people, but you think if he can’t legally obtain a gun, that will end his chance of completing what he wants to do? I don’t think that’s the case at all. I do think gun owners should keep them locked up so no one else can obtain it, but I think if someone has the determination to carry out a school shooting, or a shooting anywhere really, they will get that gun in any way possible.

Or find another way to cause the carnage. It’s the mentality that’s sinister, not the weapon.

It ‘s the weapon that causes the mass casualties. Forcing some one to alternative means to try to cause mass casualties will very likely result in significant obstacles that will either prevent the incident or limit the amount of casualties. Not too many people can make an effective firebomb and fewer still are probably able to wield a sword that effectively. You have at least a 50% chance to outrun a guy with a sword. You are not outrunning a bullet.

Right to bear arms is the only reason this NWO thing and complete control of the masses hasn’t taking place yet. The elitists fear the armed citizens. That’s why they keep pushing to repeal the 2nd amendment.
    This didn’t work out too well for the citizens of Russia, China, Germany, Cuba…dare I go on???

LB Travis Freeney has some great combine results. I like his height too, 6’4. He’s worth a look for the Phins. He’s also proven to be able to drop into coverage. Those long arms will be great against Brady’s quick short throws.

LOL @ Ken on “and fewer still are probably able to wield a sword that effectively”

Alright I have to pack up at the office. My work day is ending early but unfortunately I now have to got the dentist. I am out. Peace.

Grab the dentists by the balls as he’s going in, and tell him, ‘Now we aren’t gonna hurt one another are we’? 😉

LB Travis Freeney’s senior year was his best as he replaced NFL draftee Hau’oil Kiahaha at the Buck position and earned second-team All-Pac-12 notice with 17.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks.

Your score is: 8032 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 8: Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 11: Kentrell Brothers, ILB, Missouri (B)
    Round 3 Pick 10: Will Redmond, CB, Mississippi State (B+)
    Round 4 Pick 9: Charles Tapper, DE, Oklahoma (A-)
    Round 5 Pick 8: Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 11: Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 6: D.J. Reader, DT, Clemson (B+)
    Round 7 Pick 10: Dadi Lhomme Nicolas, OLB, Virginia Tech (A+)

Sean Davis had a very good combine, but he wasn’t that great as a player in coverage. Great athlete though.

GDP

How many games did he play at S?

He played both in 2015.
      BOTTOM LINE Miscast this season as an outside cornerback, Davis battled through adversity and bounced back with ball production, tackles and forced fumbles. Davis has the ability to cover, but his strengths would best be utilized at safety where he has fewer man responsibilities and can be deployed near the line of scrimmage a little more often. Davis is an eventual starter at safety and a big backup at cornerback.

We need that DNA linking technology that only allows the gun to fire if its being used by the person its registered to and the DNA imprinting on the bullets that you see in Judge Dredd.

getterdone says:
    February 29, 2016 at 5:22 pm
    Time to ban knives. Ken, turn in your kitchen knives. No more steak for you!
    ———————————–
    Fine by me i can eat my steak man style without my wife bitching at me lol.

Saw on Walter football a reported rumor that we are interested in Geoff Schwartz per Jason Cole.

Just saw there as well that the Ravens are going to cut Eugene Monroe, making the prediction i had of them selecting Stanley a really possibility.

On a lighter note, or heavier one, depending on where you’re looking.
    Kate Upton arriving at the Vanity Fair party after the Oscars last nite.

You’re a good man D. That’s might neighborly of you

18. Al in MIA says:

Speaking of Oscar night …
    Margot Robbie was looking pretty good

19. Al in MIA says:

20. Al in MIA says:

D says:
    February 29, 2016 at 11:39 am

Dodd and Ogbah both looked good to me as well. There are a lot of pass rushers that look good and thats a really good thing for us.
    —-
    My two favorites at the DE spot

I’m not radical on either side of the gun debate, but we need to do better how ever that is. Like D said, technology will likely be a part of the solution then some type of hackers will fuck it up and we’ll have to get around that. SMH

I think everyone should be on board with figuring out a way to cut down on these mass shootings. Not just hold firm on they’re my guns and I want them. How civil of you to care more about that than the bigger picture and the loss of innocent lives. That’s not very patriotic to me.

• Al in MIA says:

The problem to me isn’t the end user per say but rather distributors and manufacturers who are in a profit incentive system and are engaged in moral hazard situations.
      Furthermore, more work on Sociology is needed to see what drives people to ultimately cross the line with respect to moral conduct and commit to these ‘shootings’.

Totally agreed. That’s what I meant by being selfish if you’re a gun guy, it’s not all about being armed in case tyranny comes down on us. It’s profit, hobby and sport and that doesn’t come before public safety. Nobody is saying take away all guns but how do we keep them out of the hands of lunatics?

Mental health is huge in a lot of societal issues.

22. Al in MIA says:

getterdone says:
    February 29, 2016 at 11:57 am

Patriots signed Tom Brady to a two-year extension through 2019.
    Brady was scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in 2018. The deal locks Brady up through his age-42 season and will likely lower his scheduled $15 million cap hit.
    ————
    That’s like 20% of what his wife is going to make eh.

Al, Zack Brown could be a good FA pick up value wise. He’s 26, coming off a rookie deal that saw some down side, but lots of positives too.

Yep! I expect us to sign a legit pro LB like we thought we might have had in Sheppard but he wasn’t consistent enough and I view him as more of a backup. Then we’ll draft one, maybe two, but I don’t think we have to add 3-4 LBs. Two good ones would be fine.

Al, yeah Dodd & Ogbah are my favs as pure pass rushing ends.

I like Dodd too but why are you so much higher on him than Lawson who is higher rated? They had the same production but Lawson is quicker and faster and Dodd is a little bit bigger.

Tim, most of these ‘mass killings’ are a side effect of the reprehensible overly prescribed SSRI’s.

I agree, but why are so many people on them? That’s where mental health comes in. There are causes long before medication becomes involved. That’s where we need to start.

Many times people are handed prescriptions first and foremost, cause it’s big money. Actual counseling and other forms of non-drug treatment usually takes a backseat.

Our system treats poisoned minds from various corrupt and bad stimuli with more poison.

GD, bingo! You don’t have to take a drug for every ailment and people can say no to the doctor. What else can I do? A lot of time diet and some lifestyle changes are the cure and much better alternatives.

A lot of it starts early with fucked up parents, other influences mixed with one’s own issues and it grows from there. Like most things you need to nip it in the bud.

Like ending the welfare generations. Stop it at some point so it does not get passed on from generation to generation and it goes back to what it was originally for, temporary assistance to get back on your feet. Nobody wants to live on it or shouldn’t, it creates dependency and despair. My Mom was on it when I was a toddler and she was young, but eventually started working and never went back.

We need to start fixing issues in this country and not focusing on all the nonsense we focus on. The pols act like asshole children, they constantly try to hold up the other side due to some ideological differences, and shit stays the same and gets worse and we just keep spending and spending. It really is pathetic.

Yes, just as I was typing similar reasons below. Good stuff. Good discussion!

Agreed, right back at you.

We can discuss these types of things and should without even mentioning pols or drawing lines in the sand. Discuss it and have it out.

We don’t need to know right now that pol #1 once was seen with a known call girl and pol #2 didn’t turn over his tax returns. That’s not solving a problem. That’s sleazy politics. That doesn’t help one person in this country.

I agree, yet that’s the focus with the puppet media. Keep everyone diverted to areas of the least importance, and make things about sensationalism with out right fabricated lies.

Besides over use & prescribing of dangerous legal drugs for huge and easy profit, our youth are increasingly being desensitized by the modern culture.
    A culture where death and killing has become cool, in a way. It’s in the movies, the video games, the reported violence we instantly see here & around the world via the world wide web.

So when you mix prescribed drugs with very dangerous side effects into an ever increasingly dangerous culture, along with political, economic, religious, race, & police divide, then many times the end result is going to be some scary people running the streets with whatever they can get their hands on to lash out at others they can’t connect with in this huge social divide we now have.

I agree with all of that and if people don’t think different mediums play a role in society they’re fooling themselves. I’ve played video games and the ones where you shoot, blowup and kill things, but I haven’t in years because the idea of doing that is not what I’m into.

There is no doubt the glorification of violence plays a role in our society much more today because it’s more vivid and realistic. What’s the next step? The real thing. It’s nature.

wtf is wrong with you people talking about drug use and school shootings when there are real problems in this world. like black millionaires in hollywood not getting nominated for oscars.

#blackactorsmatter

I’m sick of that shit. It’s so hypocritical and getting out of hand. Black people are waging a war on a majority of white people that have nothing to do with their beef. The majority of white people are not holding anyone back, the minority elite class is doing that and they are a melting pot including your own who also don’t care about you. I’ll put the coffee on so you can wake up and smell it.

This country gets dumber by the day in the public eye. Good thing there are lots of smart people doing great things behind the scenes of the average folk.

getter

it is more #blackmilionaireactorsmatter

PFT’s Mike Florio reports the Jaguars are a “team to watch” for free agent SLB Bruce Irvin.
    Irvin seems likely to depart Seattle after he lashed out at the team via social media last offseason when the Seahawks declined his fifth-year club option. The Jaguars are an obvious connection after coach Gus Bradley was Irivn’s defensive coordinator when he was drafted.
    ____________________________
    Besides the Jaguars, I can imagine the Falcons Dan Quinn would be interested too. They really need help in the front 7.

If we’re going to play Wide 9 at least some of the time, Irvin is a good fit. He’ll likely get a big deal though and the Jags have a ton of cap space – over $80M, the Raiders have almost $75M, the Giants almost $60M. Those 3 teams will be huge players in FA and sign probably 7-10 of the top guys.

….and still not make the playoffs….well maybe the Giants will, but I’m definitely not sold on McAdoo.

GD, virtual reality will be the end of blogs and all communication. Sorry Mom, well… let’s just say I was saying hi to every beautiful female model in the world for 4 months. By the way, you know I lost my job right? No biggie! Are the squirrels still an issue? LOL

LOl, no doubt. Imagine the ease of brainwashing and mind control then. Virtual school for kids. That would be even more dangerous than how they attend schools now….smh!

I doubt any of us living now will ever even know what that is like good or bad. What we’re seeing is the typical cause and effect of evolution. It goes through ebbs and flows. It’s not always right and it’s not always wrong. Trial and error. But what we can focus on during our time, can we try to have a more civilized country and world? That’s always a good goal.

getter,

i must be one of those white elitist tim mentioned. i dont know that NWA is. i know that NLC’s are but no clue to NWA.

‘But what we can focus on during our time, can we try to have a more civilized country and world? That’s always a good goal.’

i say no, well at least as long as tanny is the qb of the fins, nothing will ever be civilized in this country as long as he is the fins qb. come on tim, you know that i shouldnt have to tell you that

GD, those teams have to spend most of it. If they do it smart they could be much improved teams. I think all three could surprise this year and if JAC with Bortles and OAK with Carr outdo Tannehill and MIA we’re gonna hear it.

We can’t have that. Tanny will be good in a sensible offense, & one with a structured OL….and of course a sensibly run defense headed by KongSuh!

No we cannot. I can’t see us franchising OV can you? $15+M for his production. He’s never been all-pro or even made a pro bowl, yet we’re going to pay him like some top line guy? If I’m GM I’m letting him test FA and if he wants to come back we’ll talk about our number. That’s it!

We could put the same tag on him as we did with Clay, the transition tag to monitor his market and have a chance to match. If not let him go.

I’m not buying franchise and trade. It ups the anti for the other team to a very high degree. A top pick and big money. They don’t want to or have to do that.

Great point about the use of the ‘transition tag’ vs ‘franchise tag’.

Free agent FS Tashaun Gipson told teammate SS Donte Whitner that he’s not “too hopeful” that he’ll be re-signed by the Browns.
    This has been the feeling from Gipson for awhile now, as he’s hinted for awhile that the Browns haven’t been engaging in contract negotiations after his disappointing, injury-riddled 2015 season. Expect Gipson to still be an attractive player on the open market. He’s proven to be a playmaking ballhawk.
    ____________________
    I wanted to get him before, but I think the Browns put a high RFA tender on him.

JUST FOUND OUT I missed the Oscars last night. WHOOO could be so clueless that they’d rather watch a hockey game?? Gotta go, guyz and galz. Tampa Bay is playing the Maple Leafs tonight!

getterdone says:
    February 29, 2016 at 8:46 pm

i havent been around much but is that safe to say now or are you still the spawn of satan if you say thing like that.

GD, I think we offered Clay 4 years $25M or something like that but the Bills offered 5 years $38M and way more guaranteed – over $24M.

Do the same thing with OV. Being that he’s only 25, go 5 years $45M – half guaranteed. We’re talking Edge-DE vs. H-Back/TE here. You have to overpay a little bit. But I think I’m overpaying already. I stop there. If a team comes in 5 years $60M, bye bye!

The Giants are going to target 3-4 big defenders in FA and at least one OL. Then draft the same like us. They have the money but we already spent a lot of it on Suh last year. We’re not rebuilding. We’re trying to re-tool and compete this year. The cap tells us that. You can’t carry our top cap players and think 2-3 years down the line. It makes no sense.

Think 2016! 🙂

Giants have JPP & Robert Ayers to pay, among others like Amukamara, Josh Brown, Randle, Selvie, Mosley, Jenkins, McBride, Cofield, Brinkley, Meriweather, Fells, the list goes on.

See Ken, well unless he’s out grabbing guns. 😉

I think they let many of them go. They were bad with them. We’re gonna do the same thing I think. Any high priced players who didn’t make a difference is gone. We were 6-10. We know who is staying and likely going. 🙂

JPP is an enigma. Ayers is solid but they can do better.

i happen to like both JPP & Ayers at the right price. Same with Amukamara.

GD, Trump is a liberal Republican, not much different than Bloomberg. They are NY moderates. They are also very rich. It always starts there.

getter,

i get piggy’s fear of trump, but i dont know how anyone doesnt fear what himary will do to this country. that is one scary man.

Trump had his attorneys write Ted Cruz a cease and desist letter

That’s a first in American Politics
    threatening to sue the other candidates

piggy,

like either one of those idiots should have any say so in abortion issues. i find it so funny when people who would never have to deal with that issue, which that included himary now a days, thinks their opinion in it matters.

Round 1 Pick 8: Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
    Round 2 Pick 11: Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State
    Round 3 Pick 10: William Jackson III, CB, Houston
    Round 4 Pick 9: Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia
    Round 5 Pick 8: Blake Martinez, ILB, Stanford
    Round 6 Pick 11: Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU
    Round 7 Pick 6: Jeff Driskel, QB, Louisiana Tech
    Round 7 Pick 10: Jake McGee, TE, Florida

Just know, conservatives will never win the presidency again until they back off from some of their social dogma. Focus on fiscal and stop turning people off with your rules. You want to beat socialism, focus on free markets.

NWA = National Wrestling association. I think Jerry Lawler was once Champion.

D-Bolt

Any revelations or surprises for you at the combine?

49. dbolt48 says:

I think if this team is going to eventually move to a 3-4, the main players I see targeted in rounds 1-3 will be Jack, Spence, Buckner, Nassib, Brothers, Wright, Ragland, Floyd, Jenkins. I’m not listing corner because all the speculation I’m seeing right now is Miami will sign 1 high end CB & 1 upside guy like Mo Claiborne to be our starters next year & cut Grimes.

So did everyone think Brady was retiring or going to another team out of the division? LOL

So we have until 4PM today to decide on whether we tag OV. I can’t see that happening, so my guess is OV is a free agent.

I think the transition tag is more likely, like what we did with Clay. It allows us to see what his market is and a chance to match. If not we let him walk.

I guess that’s possible because there’s very little risk we’d have to pay the $12.5M, because he will definitely get his share of offers.

52. dbolt48 says:

The wide 9 is a transition defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4. It’s why right now I feel like OV getting a long term deal may hinge on them believing in his ability to man a spot at OLB in a 3-4.

Interesting. Schwartz runs it as a 4-3, but I can understand how you could transition to a 3-4. Especially since the weak side DE lines up outside the LT and pretty much goes after the QB most of the time.

• dbolt48 says:

If they are preparing for a switch a guy like Tevethan from Denver could be signed and would man the WLB spot in a wide 9 then kick to ILB when they switch to a 3-4. It’s also why the interest in Irvin & Whitehead as OLB/DE prospects is interesting. Also would make Sean Spence an even more viable option after growing in Pitts 3-4 after being a good college 4-3 MLB.

D-Bolt

Where did you see that we’re running the wide 9?

We better get LB’s that can tackle if we’re playing the wide 9. Puts a lot of pressure on the interior of the defense, and honestly, won’t that get Suh triple teamed again?

• dbolt48 says:

Yes it puts pressure on the LBs, but it also makes it VERY dangerous on the double and triple teaming of Suh. The angle and free run at the QB is deadly 1 on 1. With the NFL eliminating cut blocks will also make it harder on OL.

I’m just worried that teams will be running all over us again. We have to find LB’s that can not only shed blocks but actually tackle the ball carrier.

• dbolt48 says:

That’s why it’s been said CB & LB is our main target we will spend money on. 1 good OG also. We’ll see how it goes though.

No, the DL lines up more spread out. If you double Suh LBs will have a free route into the backfield.

Mike E, no doubt we’ll need more quickness at LB and better tackling. But we need that in any scheme we play.

I think scheme is all dependent on the talent you have. We don’t have at least 3-5 guys on our defense that will play prominent roles yet, so wide 9 means nothing to me now unless we fill it with the right people.

I think the wide 9 is a way to get Suh in more one on ones. He played in that scheme in DET under Schwartz. It’s not like you can’t mix it up and run other alignments. It’s just that we’ll use the wide 9 as part of what we do. We’ll also target talent for it like Dbolt has been mentioning.

Realistically, it’s probably more like 5-7 guys. I expect 2 LB’s, 1 CB, 1 S, and possibly 2 DE’s, and 1 DT that was not here last year.

I think we have 3 DTs for our rotation in Suh, Mitchell and Phillips. DE is still up in the air and I agree at least 2 significant LBs. I think we’ll add a vet LB and CB and draft them as well. Not sure how we approach S.

Joseph has indicated the Dolphins will continue playing a base 4-3 defense, although he pointed out that every team plays the majority of its defensive snaps in the nickel.

On whether he is more aggressive or more conservative as a play-caller: “I think every game is going to be different. I grew up with (Denver Broncos defensive coordinator) Wade Phillips and he is aggressive all of the time. That’s Wade’s deal. Every game is going to be different and I’m going to call the game to win the game that day. It can be conservative, it can be aggressive, but it’s more about the team and how the team can win the game that day.”

That’s the same approach Gase takes on offense. One week we might run it 35+ times and the next throw it 45.

True. This whole wide 9 thing is something that will be primarily for the DL, especially the DE’s in obvious passing situations, to get them better attack angles.

GD, agreed on how we’ll use the wide 9. It will also be the LBs being more aggressive mixing up blitzes.

Yeah cause the idea is to try and spread the OL out more, opening up creases. Just have to be smart when we use it, cause offenses will be looking to counter.

Yep, draws and traps. That’s why we must upgrade the LBs and add quickness at DE to close those gaps quickly.

draws and traps and draws and traps and draws and traps and draws and traps . . . .

Practicing beat boxing. lol

60. dbolt48 says:

Excellent article on Suh:

@HimmelrichNFL: Contrary to Popular Belief: Ndamukong Suh Dominated in 2015

Full film breakdown & explanation of his “struggles”.

We saw this as the season went on. Suh was dominant much of the time.

Suh had moments where he dominated but “much of the time” is just not accurate. He was okay much of the time, invisible at other times and invisible at other times. A grossly overpaid luxury that we did not need nor had the tools to properly utilize.

The Panthers are bringing in free agent DE Quinton Coples for a physical Tuesday.
    If all goes well, he will likely join the defending NFC Champions.

It was a worthwhile idea to bring him in here, and he did get some playing time due to injuries. Still, He didn’t show he was worth making a big investment in.

He did nothing for us. He played college ball at North Carolina so he probably wants to go back there.

Nobody showed much in the flawed system that Coyle installed. Same as our offense installed by Nightlight.

Coples showed nothing in NY and in Miami. Let him go to Carolina.

WOW, we get daylight savings time back in less than 2 weeks on Sunday March 13th.
    Thank Goodness.

What did he ask for a golf club and a stripper. Maybe he wanted a new lunch buddy.

LOL! But actually he came in on a 1 yr prove it deal & did very well. Made the Pro Bowl. So he does deserve to be paid. It will likely be his last healthy payday. Someone will pay him well.

He is a horse’s ass and not a positive influence on the team. He has managed to piss off management on every team he has ever played for. So while he may have done well last year I am still not upset he is gone from our roster and expect he will implode at some point. Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.

Lately, I feel like I need all the sleep I can get.

Ken, Suh was dominant most of the time. When he was being doubled and tripled others didn’t step up enough so it makes it look like he disappeared. He was a force most of the time. I was saying that during the season when people were bashing them. When Joseph watched the tape of our season he said Suh jumped out at him constantly. He’s the one who said he was doubled a lot and even tripled. Then went on to say we can do some things to get him more one on ones and that’s when he’s tough to stop.

Interesting look at how the Behind Closed Doors Interview go at the Combine.

A few seconds later, this backpack-wearing, NFL-hopeful walked into a dimly lit hotel room to be grilled for precisely 15 minutes by a group of 10 Dolphins employees that included Mike Tannenbaum, the executive vice president of football operations, general manager Chris Grier, head coach Adam Gase and Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino.

….great to see Dan the Man involved. Him & Gase should be great together bouncing things off each other.

I don’t want to hear how dominant Suh was. Our defense sucked last year, with him or without him. Dominant means he changed the game or a season. He did neither.

GDP

Jones actually helped us win a game or two. Suh? Nope.

68. dbolt48 says:

OV transitioned

Unless somehow this defense becomes a top 5 defense, and Suh is killing it, you can never convince me it was the right move to bring him here for that contract.

That’s a different topic. If I knew this team was not as good as I thought it was, I wouldn’t have brought Suh here. But that’s in the past, he is here and we’re going to build the defense around him.

GDP

Jones was making plays long before Suh got here, so absolutely yes, he does.

….and so goes my post about the behind closed door interviews @ the Combine.
    Swallowed up by the incessant debating of to Suh, or not to Suh? That is the question.

Okay, I’m not staying with this Suh debate. Minds are made up regardless of examples and what coaches say. Dbolt just posted great stuff about it and some of you are ignoring it. You don’t like the contract, that’s fine, but you’re wrong if you don’t think Suh was a force most of the time. Nobody said he didn’t have down moments, he did, all players do.

Landry is not better than Suh. LOL

We went 6-10 with him too by the way. The team had a bad year.

Poor coaching, poor systems, poor play calling, some poor personnel, = 6-10

Landry was the best player on the team last year. He may not be as talented as Suh is at his position but he certainly made a much bigger impact on our team than any other player did last year.

You could argue Landry was the MVP, yes. He’s not the player Suh is though. And I like Landry a lot.

Mike E, slammed the breaks on the blog….lol

getterdone says:
    March 1, 2016 at 11:33 am (Edit)

Does Jones make those plays if not for the pressure created by Suh?
    __________________________________
    He made plays before Suh was ever on our roster.

Correct, but DB’s make plays most often when there is good pressure up front.
      After Wake went down, Suh & others had to do even more to create that pressure.
      It was a mess with backups all over the DL & probably our weakest LB unit to date as well.

Plus Jones gambled a lot. Most of the time it was good. But several times it cost the team, cause the FS was too weak to compensate for him taking gambles.

Jones is an excellent player. Why are we debating that?

It’s just an example of a guy who made an impact on the team. I am so tired of hearing about how Suh has made an impact on our team. I am yet to see it on a consistent basis. I get that Suh is talented but for the money we paid him the impact has not been there. I didn’t like the signing when it happened and I am not crazy about the cap implications for the future. That said I know he has talent but I want to see him use that talent to take over games on a consistent basis.

GDP inferred that Jones couldn’t make the plays if Suh wasn’t here. He knows that’s not the case, but sometimes it sounds better when you put it in an argument. 🙂

So what do you think OV will be offered on the open market?

‘Jones made plays before Suh was ever on our roster.’

Correct, but DB’s make plays most often when there is good pressure up front. Jones made plays before Suh got here because Wake was a beast & our LB corp was more experienced.

After Wake went down in game 7 this year, Suh & others had to do even more to create that pressure.

I’d bet OV gets a 4-5 YR at $8-9M per

i am glad we didn’t franchise OV. My gut is we are going to lose him but I don’t think he is worth what he thinks he is.

The Dolphins are tagging Olivier Vernon, but it’s the rarely-used transition tag.
    That means the Dolphins will pay Vernon $12.7 million in 2016 but other teams can still negotiate with him.
    If he signs a long-term deal worth more money, the Dolphins would have seven days to match or top it.
    If they don’t, he’ll walk.

Word is we’ll be close to $30M in Cap space after some more cuts & a Suh restructure (so how can you bitch about Suh’s contract deal now).
    This would indicate that we’ll likely sign a FA DE & draft 1 early especially if OV get’s an offer the Phins don’t care to match.

83. dbolt48 says:

Ian is pretty plugged in w/ Miami offseason plans. He nailed last years FA weeks before it occurred:

@NFLFilmStudy: I’ve heard Bruce Irvin (as I mentioned few weeks ago), Tahir Whitehead, Brandon Brooks, David Bruton & Mo Claiborne https://t.co/WgTuPkHmWd

I would rather see us go lightly in FA and focus on building through the draft. Irvin is a hell of a player but not sure he is going to be worth the investment. He won’t come cheap.

We’ll probably be outbid for him. But he’d be a good fit for us because he can play OLB and serve as an edge rusher. He’d be a terror in the wide 9.

Dbolt, I think Dion Jordan is probably a lock to be cut. We’re not paying him $6.2M. I think Misi is a possibility too but that may not happen until we sign a LB in FA.

LOL @ Tim – GFY! 🙂

Ken, the Giants are going to be big players in FA this year. Not typical of them but they will be. They have almost $60M.

Claiborne doesn’t bring much at all as a CB.
    Bruton is a good ST’er trying to become a sold safety.
    Whitehead is a decent backup MLB, he’s 25 coming off his rookie deal. He might show some promise.
    Brooks is a very solid RG coming off his rookie contract too. Massive 6’5 335
    Irvin is a solid get @ OLB/DE, but don’t expect greatness.

Overall, it look like guys who are more on the physical side as Grier alluded to.

Claiborne may not be the worst pick up. He is not likely to get a big deal yet he still has the potential to be real good. Depending on the price he may be a worthwhile pick up.

Buffalo is going to cut Mario Williams.

Armando said we like the Rams DE William Hayes as a cheaper stop gap option to replace OV.

90. dbolt48 says:

@SiClancy: And Vernon isn’t worth $16 million a season in anyone’s money. That’s the sort of FA decision that gets people sacked. And I don’t mean QB’s

Tim you mentioned or someone did about all the Caop money the Giants will have. Sounds good and all, but they also have a long laundry list of FA’s currently on the team, so they’ll be busy spending it all just to fill a roster…lol

their 1st focus is trying to resign JPP & Ayers….also kicker Josh Brown, and possibly Amukamara.

I expect them to sign 3 defensive players from the outside regardless of who they re-sign. That doesn’t mean they’re all going to be the highest level UFAs, but starter caliber.

Tim, the Rams have real good Cap space too. They’re likely to resign Hayes after letting Long go.

I don’t know, just reporting that Armando said we like him. We’ll likely sign a player like that thought. Also we’ll see what we have in Damontre Moore.

Damontre Moore is not the answer. The guy is brain dead. He admitted that he has a low football IQ. He was cut by the Giants during a playoff run when they were desperate for pass rushers.

• dbolt48 says:

Ken,
        In the wide 9 he can function due to the fact his main job is to attack the QB.

Dbolt:
        I get the idea of what Moore is supposed to do but I have watched a lot of Giants football and I tell you the guy is brain dead. He is a penalty waiting to happen. He may have physical skills but he does not know how to play the game.

• dbolt48 says:

LOL🤕⚰

93. dbolt48 says:

@NealDriscoll: I like Olivier Vernon but I’d rather have Lamar Miller,Adam Jones, and Alex Boone for his price

94. dbolt48 says:

@NealDriscoll: Dolphins have many names associated with them. Bruce Irvin, Adam Jones, William Hayes, Alex Boone, Mo Claiborne, Brandon Thompson

Ken, I said we’ll see what we have in Damontre Moore. He’s real cheap and likely would be a rotation guy anyway.

dbolt48 says:
    March 1, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Ken,
    In the wide 9 he can function due to the fact his main job is to attack the QB.

I was thinking the same thing. Kind of like Jason Babin did with the Eagles in 2011 with 18.0 sacks. That’s all he really did.

I get the idea of what he is supposed to do but last year I watched him make dumb penalty after dumb penalty. When questioned about it his only response was “I don’t have a high football IQ.” I think he could have left football out of the response. The guy was a cancer in the locker room. So much so the Giants cut him when they were desperate for pass rushers and they were in a dead heat for the division with the Eagles and Redskins. So I get it he has great physical traits and maybe he is worth a look but I highly doubt he will pan out.

Adam Schefter Retweeted
    Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania621 14m14 minutes ago
    As just reported on @1067theFan – per @granthpaulsen the #Redskins are placing the franchise tag on @KirkCousins8 for 2016.

98. dbolt48 says:

I can see Ken pre marriage

Date: “What’s your favorite thing about me?”

Ken: “To be honest your only redeeming quality is that you let me take you out to dinner to a hotdog cart.”

Looks like the phins are going to tag Vernon

all wives are cheap dates, it is when they become ex-wives they cost a fucking fortune

If Wake won’t restructure, I’d cut him. I’m still skeptical he’ll be what he was, and even if he is, he disappears too much for me.

LOL @ Rob

Wake said he’ll restructure, don’t get yer panties in a bunch just yet. FA period hasn’t even started yet.

They’re all bunched up and it’s very uncomfortable!!!

• dbolt48 says:

Yeah he did, but talks fell apart at the combine. Miami’s FO seems to be taking a more hardline stance with its players and their perceived value. Essentially they are going about business like the Pat’s.

Transition tag for Vernon? Bleh.

I hate the word dominate…it’s way overused. Suh can still play at a very high level. The problem is the rest of our defense is mediocre, so his high level of play doesn’t matter as much. We need better players beside him and behind him at LB.

LOL @ Mike, great sense of humor.

Bolt, I realize talks broke down at the Combine on Wake, but nothing ever gets finalized at a combine. 😉
    Now both sides know where each other’s starting points are.

One NFL scout indicated to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Ole Miss DT Robert Nkemdiche has been removed from his team’s board due to character concerns.
    “His character will keep him off the board for us,” he said. He’s talented enough to be in the top 10. But holy (expletive), buyer beware on this one.

Dbolt,
    That’s nuts. The money in the NFL is ridiculous. There’s no “value” anymore. $12M a year on a long term contract? Vernon should be sacrificing a goat daily to the god of greed if somebody gives him that kind of contract.

i blame us fans, well corporate ticket buyers for the higher salaries too.
      Plus we pay a bundle for merchandise, direct tv, constantly hangout of football related websites, etc etc.

I’m shocked Miami even was around $12M per for OV. Glad Cantor is taking him elsewhere.
    As mentioned above, and I’ve said the samething, that the potential OV money can be better spent on Millertime, Boone, & maybe Pacman.

You guys ready for a new blog?

112. dbolt48 says:

Yeah, Miami has essentially told OV if you get what you want on the market, congrats, but we’re not matching.

It’s not the number itself that bothers me with OV, it’s comparative to what others make. The salaries are always going to go up. Check this chart with OV’s transition tag. He’s not the player the two above him are. He should be more in that $8-10M range.

• dbolt48 says:

Yep, & truly only got to that point at the end of the year.

It’s not the number that bothers me either its just the fact that he is not that good. He is an average starting RDE. The last 2 years he has been under double digit sacks. He is mediocre vs. the run. He is very undisciplined as a player as witnessed by his numerous costly penalties last year. I hope someone decides to overpay him.

I just want the team to continue looking at all possible avenues to improve this defense. I don’t think keeping OV does that. I really believe we can draft a guy this year who can replace what he does…and it wouldn’t have to be in the 1st round. He’s just not that impactful on games, and he plays a position that we really need high production from….not just okay production. It’s a premium position in the NFL.