The Wedge Scouting Report: Reuben Foster; Linebacker

Bucket Seats, Photon Turrets, Telepathic Control Panel and Light Speed Accelerator Pads

Man there is nothing like a new Destroyer to remind you how great is is to eliminate lifeforms!

When I lean back in my control chair I can just smell the dead warg worms in the air.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and appreciate the truly elite weapons you have to work with.

reubenfoster7

Kind of like shutting up and appreciating the best linebacker in the 2017 NFL Draft – Reuben Foster

Wow, Reuben Foster can play.  Unless you’ve been living under a crashed Meteorite, you already know that.

The Alabama Senior’s football season did not go unnoticed.  And why should it?  Alabama was the best team in the country for most of the season until their final upset loss against Clemson.  The Crimson Tide was lead by its defense to go undefeated in the regular season.  That Defense was lead by the aforementioned Reuben Foster.

reubenfoster6

Foster finished the 2016 season with 115 tackles, thirteen of them for a loss.  He also had five sacks in a very aggressive Alabama Defense.

Numbers like those explain why he was voted SEC Defensive Player of the Year and the Nation’s Butkus Award winner.  Foster joins Cj Mosley and Rolando McClain who also won the Butkus Award while playing for Alabama.

Here is how the Butkus Award Selection Committee described Foster “Reuben Foster is a complete line back with the instincts, closing burst, explosion and on field leadership traits that set the tone for the nation’s top defense.”

reubenfoster5

For his career, Foster finished with 211 tackles and twenty-three tackles for a loss to go along with seen sacks.  Last year he played alongside Reggie Ragland who went 41st in the 2016 draft.  And if you watched any tape on Reggie Ragland it was hard to miss Foster who lit up the screen with his athleticism.

I would not expect Foster to last to 41 like Ragland.  If there is one linebacker you can expect to go int he first round, its Foster.

Rob Rang describes Foster as “a heat seeking missile hell-bent on destruction”

reubenfoster8

When Foster sees the ball carrier, he squares his shoulders and wraps up bringing the carrier down very quickly.

But it’s not his technique where he separates himself.  It’s his athleticism.  Even playing next to Ragland in 2015, or Tim Williams and Ryan Anderson in 2016, Foster separates himself from everyone else with that explosive burst.  And then he separates the ball carrier from the ground.

reubenfoster4

Foster will be a day 1 starter in this league wherever he goes.  He is the kind of player that might make a huge impact as soon as he plays his first NFL Game.

Some weapons are fundamentally sound.  Like a great linebacker or a Space Destroyer.

That is why I am comparing reuben Foster to the classic Space Destroyer.

fosterdestroyer

I’m sure you’ve seen him before.  But watch his highlights here:

290 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: Reuben Foster; Linebacker

Nice job Piggy. Like most here, I feel that Foster would be a great addition to our team, however, he will be long gone by the time we make our selection,

BRIAN; Kudos to Piggy and TO YOU, too, for your comments. NOW the question becomes “Do we draft a slightly lower rated LB in round one OR go for the highest rated available C/G who can IMMEDIATELY improve our all-important offensive line?? To turn Mike E’s comments around a bit, I’m NOT in favor of drafting an LB in round one who’s available @ #22 just to plug a hole when a higher rated C/G might still be there WHEN WE DO PICK! (And I’m sure Mike agrees with this.) A corollary issue is “Can we get a slightly lower rated LB in round 2 who can step in and start for us right away?”

• I think what we’re looking at here is more speculation than anything. If Cunningham is there at #22 is he slightly lower rated than Howard or is he slightly higher rated than Howard? I know the one’s with the boner for Howard will say Howard’s a better player for us than Cunningham is but that’s just a matter of opinion.
      You also have to consider McKinley as part of that mix and look at Reddick too because he’s starting to move up after his Senior Bowl and if he blows it out of the water in the Underwear Olympics he can move up even more. I know some will argue that he’s not worth it but who’s to say WE don’t have a higher draft grade on him than the people on this blog.
      And then there’s your question about a C/G. I don’t think there’s a guy at #22 who has that position flexibility like Elflein at that point but Feeney could be a guy they target there as well.
      Howard is going to be a good player. No doubt. But, I highly doubt there’s going to be a huge different between where we have him rated and where we have others rated at #22 if he’s there.

• but, I do agree with you on the offensive line. there’s tremendous talent out there in this year’s draft and if we don’t finally fix the line this year Tannenbaum, and Grier, need to be shown the door. there’s absolutely NO excuse to go into this season still needing a starter on the o-line and there’s absolutely no reason that Bushrod should just be kept around to start at RG again and not draft someone to fill that hole permanently. We can always keep Bushrod around as solid depth but if we go into the season without a permanent answer at both guard positions I’m going to be pissed. And, I’m not talking about paying a guard $50M in FA!

3. In other words I don’t see Howard on our board as 1a and then Cunningham and McKinley as 1b and Feeney a 1c. All four could be on our board as 1a.

4. and then, there’s FA. so a lot will change after that. how we approach the draft and the players we go after will be determined by what we do in FA.

We will know for sure whether Foster is a top 10 guy in the next few months

I expect his athletic ability to be on display at the combine
    So I don’t can expect the combine to hurt him

The only thing I’m relying on is the possibility that an ILB isn’t valued as much as day pass rushers, DBs, QBs and other skill players

It’s possible that Fournette and Cook both go high which is unusual for 2 RBs and that mihght help push Foster out

But it’s a weak OL class at the top so that’s not helping

It doesn’t look good for Foster at 22

I thought no you are pretty much looking at Cunningham, Howard, Davis (albeit I don’t want him in the 1st) or one of the pass rushers at 22 – at least right now it seems that way

• pass rusher could very well be the pick when you consider all we got going into the season is Wake and Branch if we sign him. I know a lot of people like the Howard pick but how long do you kick the can down the road on DE’s before it comes back to bite you in the ass.
      Then everyone will be complaining about the fact that we should have addressed the DE position when we had the chance but didn’t. Howard is going to be a really good addition for someone this year but how do you ignore the other, more glaring, issues on the team at positions of major weakness for us right now and take a TE in the first round?
      I think it’s like the person who has bills to pay but keeps going out and spending money on the “toys” rather than paying the bills. There’s going to come a time when those bills are going to be too overwhelming to pay and then; bankruptcy.
      I don’t want the team to be bankrupt at multiple positions because we bought too many toys.

• I don’t think there’s anyone who’s going to change what they’ve got on Foster at this point. His numbers at the Combine may go to solidify their stance on him but I doubt a less than stellar performance from him at the Combine will drop him for anyone.
      They’re not going to allow the Underwear Olympics to change the opinion they have of him when they watch tape of his games. If they have a solid first round grade on him and he’s a top 10 prospect that’s not going to change because of the Combine.
      Game tape always holds more weight.
      and, I’m talking strictly foster here. not talking about any of the other Combine participants.

Generally the feedback I’m hearing is that it’s a weak year for OL at the top of the draft

I don’t think this is a draft when you will see a half a dozen tackles taken in the 1st round like we often see

• you never know. guys like Robinson, Lamp and Feeney could rise a bit if they show up big time at the Combine. Guys like these can benefit from strong Combine performances when they show off their athletic traits.
      Robinson, for instance, has a knock on him where his movement is concerned. They say he can be beat with a speed rush and needs a TE from time to time to help him out. If he can answer questions he may move back up into the top 15.

That’s still not a whole lot of OL with 1st round potential

Maybe Robinson and Lamp go top 15
        And the 2 RBs go top 15
        And then 2 QBs go top 15

Them you still need a run at receivers, Dbs and pass rushers to get Foster to 22

It looked ma almost impossible
        But I thought Tunsil would go 1 last year

So I’m going with anything is possible

• however, it still won’t be enough to drop Foster to us. I doubt much will change. Foster’s a top 10

7. Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h
    1 hour ago

#Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill is not believed to need ACL reconstruction prior to ’17 season, sources say. MRI today to confirm the good news

Lou

It’s NEVER going to be about what any of US think, it’s what our scouting department thinks, and what they convey to Grier and Tannenbaum, and ultimately, how Grier and Tannenbaum choose to assimilate that information. Their scouts will have all these player slotted, and then it’s up to them (T and G) to do what they think they have to do. I’m very interested to see what shakes out in FA, and then I think we’ll have a little clearer idea of what we might do in the draft. When I say little, I mean it, because it’s still all up in the air.

9. I’ll throw this out there as an argument as well. Maybe you can say that nobody can argue if MIA selects Howard at #22 and that may be true given the type of player he is and what he can do for the offense but I don’t think anyone could argue if we took Charlton in the first and Walker in the 2nd either.
    We need two starting caliber DE’s more than we need a TE at this point in time and I wouldn’t argue with that.
    If we took two starting caliber offensive linemen in the first two rounds I wouldn’t argue with that.
    I think the mindset in MIA right now is different than what it was in the past. Belichick took some guys in the 2nd rd of the last few drafts that some people questioned as they had these guys projected to go much later and he made starters of them.
    I think we are looking at things the same way. I think there’s guys who fit our system really well and we’re going to take them regardless of what others say and regardless of where others have them projected. A player is only valuable to your team if he fits what you’re trying to do.
    So, there’s players that everyone is looking at and saying, “we need to get him on our team” and the Phins brass could have a lower grade on the guy because he doesn’t fit what we do well.
    And, maybe that’s why a guy like Reddick is rated higher on their board than we may think. They want to increase overall team speed on the defensive side of the ball. He tackles very well and he hits hard. He has versatility and he plays fast. So, in our scheme he could be worth a #22 but to someone else he may be a 2nd rd pick. I’m just giving this as an example.
    We don’t know how the team see’s each one of these players; how they feel they fit what they do on offense or defense.

10. The Tyrod fell off the Bills wheel and they couldn’t steer the offense after that

11. Tyrod Taylor would get a $15.5M option bonus + $12M base + $3.25M of his ’18 base guarantees on 3/11. Hellooooooooo Cleveland.

Meaning, it’s just a matter of time before Buffalo makes the announcement that the Tyrod has fallon off the wheel

Pig — thanks for teaching me about guys like Foster to keep an eye on, and at this point pretty confirmed which group you are going the full-depth “drop your pants and smile” security check on……and for good reason.

And I will know more about at least the top guys come draft, but man is it harder too do until the draft and given where we pick this year. But on that last — don’t think for a second I am biotching about making the playoffs. 🙂

13. OD,
    while I enjoy the trips down memory lane and remembering when the Phins were at their best in the 70’s the darkest day in the history of this franchise for me was when members of our Super Bowl winning team left the NFL for a league that wouldn’t last and split the team up. We lost too much talent when that happened and it’s almost like someone looked at the Phins and said, “we’ve got to break this up somehow because they’re going to win the Super Bowl for the next ten years if we don’t”.

Great news on Tanny….for most on the board at least. 🙂

Thought this had already been but then a bunch of articles came out with “Tanny might need surgery.”
    ————————

Ryan Tannehill isn’t expected to require surgery on his torn ACL, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports.

Tannehill will have an MRI on Monday to confirm the news. After partially tearing his ACL late in the regular season, Tannehill and the Dolphins had still been unsure up to this point if he’d need surgery. They had to wait for the ligament to heal further before making a decision. Tannehill probably will be held out of most of the spring work, but should be ready well in time for training camp.

15. stanger,
    If the Bills are looking for someone who could possibly turn into someone as good as Tannehill then they could be in perfect position to take Trubisky in this draft.

I’m probably gonna be a little less agressive about “Howard can’t be the pick at 22”

I think there are a handful of players there that can contribute right away and he iso Ne of them

I would prefer Cunningham over Howard
    And that we have a draft with a heavy emphasis on D

But we might be able to pickup a good LB in the 2nd
    And an additional front 7 player in round 3 or 5

There is some flexibility lot to go Defense 1 and 2
    It’s not my preference but it can work

• there’s a number of different ways we can go. if we solidify the offensive line and have a dominant run game and our pass blocking is stellar we could be a deadly offense.
      on the other hands, a stout defense vs the run helps us that way and vs the pass as well. if we can make teams one dimensional it’s only going to help our pass rush.
      However, I’m just not seeing that LB prospect for us in the 2nd rd or after. There’s plenty of d-line and db’s but LB’s are sketchy.

17. Only thing I can figure w/Reddick in the USF game is there must have been scouts from the Browns there.

I’ve been trying to put links to articles here on twitter. Had an issue with the first try today. Rueben Foster got autocorrected to Rueben Fister. Might have gotten more hits though….

Good write up Piggy. I like Foster as a LB for us. Not sure he’ll be there for us though.

I’m just really hoping we bring in a starting caliber LB in FA. Doesn’t have to be a world-mover. We do that and our draft at least has the option of BPA every round.

I’ve been saying the same thing so I agree.

• Brian in NY says:

I agree. We are not going to fill all the holes we have in the draft, especially since we are down picks. We need to hit in FA with some of our needs as well.

I don’t think our team has a lot of holes, more like a few voids. We were a 10-6 playoff team after all. Let’s keep some of our own, fill some voids and add some quality rookie talent.

• But, we can’t keep kicking the can down the road. We have need for 2 starting linebackers and we need to start addressing the DE positions asap because Wake isn’t going to be around forever and although I like Branch he’s not the long-term solution at the other end.
      Bushrod is a rental guy on the o-line, Albert isn’t in the future plans at LT so we slide Tunsil over to play LT and we have “holes” at both guard positions.
      So, we’ve got 6 positions at a minimum that need starters.
      There’s plenty of o-line and DE talent in this draft and there’s no reason we shouldn’t come out of it with at least one of those positions settled going forward.

void = hole 🙂

Texans hired former NFL WR Wes Welker as an offensive assistant.
    Welker spent five years with coach Bill O’Brien in New England, so this is a natural fit for him to begin his coaching career. Welker is, unsurprisingly, expected to help out with the receivers as well as special teams. Perhaps he can be a mentor of sorts for quarterback-turned-slot-receiver Braxton Miller.
    _________________________
    WTG Wes….I wonder if he’ll end up a HC one day? Hopefully not against us in the same division again….lol

Proud of our Pro-Bowlers….Tanny would have been in the Pro Bowl if it wasn’t for his injury. 🙂

24. Antwan V. Staley
    Verified account
    ‏@antwanstaley

Falcons’ Kyle Shanahan temporarily loses gameplan when reporter takes backpack

25. ProfessorLOU ‏@ProfessorLou1 53s
    53 seconds ago

I have officially moved Haason Reddick into my #1 spot at the #22 pick for MIA in this year’s draft.

26. Mr. Wedge, Sir. How about a scouting report for Reddick?

LOU; DID the reporter who “accidentally” took Shanahan’s copy of the game plan also “accidentally” run off a copy for BELICHEAT???

I’m a little confused and worried with Tannehill’s condition. I keep hearing things like he doesn’t need surgery “yet”. I really hope they’re handling this correctly. Do they have a plan? Is he going to strengthen the muscles around the knee, and then start running and see how it feels? Is he going to do this soon, or wait until the spring? If it’s not OK in the spring, is he out for the season? I just hope they got this right.

29. Latest Mock:
    RD 1 Haason Reddick
    RD 2 Demarcus Walker
    RD 3 comp Dawuane Smoot
    RD 5 Carroll Phillips

Just to there. Fill the defense with fresh, young talent for the future. They want to increase team speed on D. Two LB’s with speed who can tackle. Smoot is a quick twitch DE who. along with Walker can cause nightmares for the offensive line in the pass rush.
    Get ’em in, get ’em coached up and turn ’em loose.

• I’m not going to say Reddick is going to be the next Miller but I think he can be a lot closer to Miller than what we’ve got now and will be a huge upgrade to what we’ve got at LB.
      And, IMO, this kid isn’t even close to his ceiling yet. His 2nd yr as a pro could be ALL WORLD.

Funny how this year, like many others, there really aren’t any blue chip QB’s, and yet mocks are showing 3 going in the 1st RD, which is great, I hope they make it 4. Bump the other talent farther down the draft

• Maybe not any blue chippers but Trubisky is a similar talent to what Tannehill was coming out and may even be a bit beyond what he was at that time so he’s definitely a 1st rd guy.

I guess what I’m saying is what used to be a 2nd or 3rd RD QB is now a 1st RD QB, and it’s good if you’re not looking for one, because it pushes the other talent down in the draft.

Man, NFLDraftscout really wants us to take a TE! Rang has us taking Njoku at #22, (Howard went at #16), and Brugler has us taking Howard.

Hyde put out five players slated to us from top mocks right now, which saved me some time. Left out his comments cause they are worth no more than what I would have said. Interesting to see JJ’s bro is in the mix though.
    —————————

Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida (via Mel Kiper, ESPN): “As a steady and reliable linebacker with a nose for the football, Davis’ versatility stands out. He could play inside or outside linebacker at the next level, though he’s not a guy who will get 10 sacks on the outside in a 3-4. He can be an every-down guy.”

Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple (via Lance Zierlein, NFL.com): “Coming off an impressive showing at the Senior Bowl, Reddick is one of the most intriguing prospects in this draft. He has the athleticism to play in space on first and second down, and the talent to rush from the edge on third. Sounds exactly like something the Dolphins could use.”

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama (Dane Brugler, CBSSports.com): “There are glaring needs on defense for the Dolphins, but an athletic tight end like Howard would do wonders for the Miami offense.”

Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan (via Bucky Brooks, NFL.com): “The team’s primary pass rushers (Cameron Wake and Mario Williams) are on the backside of their careers. Charlton would add some speed, athleticism, and sizzle as a 3-4 rusher.”

T.J. Watt, LB, Wisconsin (via Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com): “Watt isn’t as freaky as his older brother, J.J., but he his a very good football player. He is ultra-versatile, athletic and instinctive.”

For the life of me I cannot consider why Cunningham is not being mentioned as an option on these kind of lists

As much as I love the idea of TJ Watt as a Dolphin it just looks like a bad fit on its face. He seems to be a perfect 3-4 OLB

You’d have to check out where Cunningham was take in each mock to figure out whether they agree with you on him or made the wrong pick for the Phins in it .

Like I said, Hyde saved me some time. How many of these same guys will be mocked to us after the combine and FA are over? I’m guessing at most two.

Just seems like a lot of the experts are not seeing Cunnigmham as a Dolphin

I don’t get the Watt pick

Also don’t think Bucky Brooks understands that we are a 4-3…lol

Yeah the 3-4 thing stood out. I leave it to you guys to sort out, but have noticed when I actually tried to follow such in the past that the mockers get more and more informed about what types of players we actually need as we get closer to the draft. Am thinking that is mostly cause they notice that some better informed mockers have been calling them idiots for this or that pick. 🙂

getter,
    Are you off your meds again? You’re getting a little delusional. Lol

Lou

Reddick isn’t really on my radar at the moment

But at some point I plan on taking a closer look and wedge will probably do a report. In his case I will probably wait until after the combine

I’m slighty skeptical about small school guys. So I like to see that they have athleticism before I really spend some time on them

Last year I did one on Tyler Matakevich pretty early and he didn’t go very early in the draft

So far everyone wedge looked at has been from the SEC or Big Ten
    I think I scheduled Zac Cunninham for next week

I’m trying to be more right than wrong this year….lol

So no Scooby Wrights or Lache Seastrunks
    For the most part I’ve been looking at powerhouse schools or at least smaller schools in powerhouse conferences

• I’m not going to try and convince anyone that Reddick should be the guy or that he’s that good. That’s the way I see it after watching the Senior Bowl and after watching numerous games of his from ’15 and ’16. I expect him to go first rd and I think he fits what we’re trying to do on D and that’s get faster overall.
      He runs a 4.54 and you see his play speed on the tape. So, it’s just my opinion right now but I think the Combine will confirm and solidify his first rd status.

Piggy,
    Fox sports has us taking Cunningham, so there is at least one cite agreeing with you!
    ***
    Personally, I think Watt can play any linebacker position you want him to play…although I do think he’d fare better on the edge. I just don’t think he’s a first round pick by any means. He reads plays well, he’s gone to school on how to use his hands, he sheds blocks well, and he’s a sound tackler. He doesn’t necessarily stand out in any way, but he seems like a very well-rounded LB.

• Watt had a pretty good year but I it’s his only year playing the position. If he stayed in school another year and repeated he could possibly be a first rd talent at that point but with just one year to go off of I’m a bit weary about taking a guy in the first or second rd.
      If you watch him go against Moton he gets stoned the entire game. So, when he goes to the next level the LT’s and RT’s he’s going against aren’t going to be pushovers like some of the guys he faced in college.
      To me, there’s just not enough to look at to want him before a mid round pick. He looks the part and looks pretty athletic but you don’t know if he can do anything but rush the passer at this point. One of the reasons Tim Williams is dropping like a rock

I didn’t see him drop much in coverage at Wisconsin in the film I saw. So that makes mem wonder if he can play LB inn a 4-3 scheme

I am kinda wondering why he is considered to be a 1st rounder too…but he doesn’t seem that far off to me. He solid but he’s not some kinda freak athlete

I wouldn’t even say that he is certain to be a better pro than his teammate Biegel

I would not gripe about the pick
      I just don’t see it as a smooth transition instant starter kind of pick
      He’s probably got a lot pf upside if he can play LB in a 4-3

I’m also going to do my usual positional comparisons after the combine. I’m looking forward to seeing some of these prospects go through the drills, even though it doesn’t tell you everything, it does tell you who has explosion, agility, leaping ability, and like we learned with guys like Scooby Wright, instinct aren’t enough by themselves, you have to have a certain amount of athleticism combined with the instincts.

So far – I haven’t made any bold predictions in terns o draftees
      I’ll probably be a little bolder after the combine
      I’m really curious to see guys like Reddick, Cunningham. Anthony walker, Elijah Lee and Tanoh Kpassgnan at the combine to see how they stack up athletically against big school guys

MikeE,
    Ultimately, it’s all about whether or not a guy can translate that ability, athleticism onto the playing field. That’s often predicated on whether or not they can “think” the game fast. Can they process what they see quickly and accurately in order to allow themselves to use their athleticism? We see it time and time again….guys who have all the athleticism in the world(Dion Jordan) but can’t get it done in the NFL. It can get you through a college career but is exposed in the NFL. That’s why I never let what we see at the combine overshadow what we see on the field. If a guy looks athletic on the field, then we’ll see it in drills. If he doesn’t look athletic on the field, he may look athletic in drills…but that doesn’t mean it will translate to the field.

Lou,
    I agree. Limited production is a question mark. He did play against plenty of high level OL in the Big 10 though. And, as I said, he’s not even close to a first rounder. I’d say as high as the third round, but I’m betting he goes in the second. It seems like everyone gets pumped up a round nowadays.

Lou,
    I’d also keep my eye on Moton as a RG….preferably in the third.

Randy

No question, but the combine does weed out the guys who just simply can’t run sideline to sideline. It’s not even necessarily the 40 time, it’s the short shuttle (20YD) that’s more telling. If a LB runs a 4.8 40, but runs the 20 YD shuttle in 4.2 seconds, he has the acceleration and explosion you need. Of course, the players college career and what they were able to accomplish is first and foremost, the combine number tell a different story.

Pretty solid assessments in this article. These were myvstanouts from what I saw as well. Obi Melifonwu was meh in the game but he runs with receivers and TEs in coverage pretty well. He probably will be a 3rd at least, just because of his freakish size to go with solid spied/agility.

Also agree that Tanoh and Jordan Willis looked pretty good. Both took a little time to warm up but they are probably both solid second or third rounders. In fact most all the ones listed there would/could likely go in that range.

One guy listed that I saw a couple good things from, along with some bad, Tyus Bowser. One play in particular he hawked down a guy who was had a head of steam on him and it was from a dead stop behind him that he started, not from a pursuit angle. Showed great effort and really good acceleration to make that play. I think he has something to work with and might be a nice later round add

Moton looks a lot like Tunsil, but he had a pretty shitty personality imo. One of the guys I would have skipped meeting if I had it to do over again. Banner on the other hand us a card. Really funny dude. Did the show him dancing on the TV broadcast? He was breaking it down for a good while out there lol

Biggest dude out there too, by a good bit. Could pick him out from anywhere

Boulder, Zach Thomas is about the passion and effort he played with. You so that be able to tell for sure you got that guy until you already know ya got him. It can’t show up off the field, maybe a little in interviews, but really OS is where ya might know you got him

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I agree. That’s the kinda thing that doesn’t necessarily show up in combine or in 40 times etc…. Great MLB always play with great passion. That’s what we want.

Hasson Reddick did not impress me the way I thought he would at senior bowl.

Boulder

I want Zach Thomas too bro

D

Not sure you saw my response the other day. You said I was getting pissy with you, and I really wasn’t. I was just explaining the hypothetical scenario I made up, nothing more.

Boulder

Luke Keuchly is like that, but he does have the athleticism to go with the heart and instincts. He’s like the perfect LB.

I’d settle for John Offerdahl.

Yeah and I’d even willing to go Buoniconti or Duhe so long as we don’t waste #23 on a guy like that, better in the 2nd or 3rd. 🙂

btw — Offerdahl was my favorite of my watching in a tie with Jason Taylor’s brother-in-law. If only his career could have lasted longer.

Jenkins and Misi are so bad I would settle for Derrick Rogers

Jackie Shipp?

Charles Bowser was an up and coming OLB for us back in the 80s until he ruptured his Achilles and back then that was a career ending injury.

I think it’s time for a Piggy poll

What position do we spend the most on (not resigning our own) in Free Agency BEFORE the draft?

A. Linebacker
    B. Guard
    C. Tight End
    D. Cornerback
    E. Tackle
    F. Other

He was also the lead singer of Sha Na Na. lol
    —————

Talk about something never would have thought of again unless you mentioned it, and then looked into. They all started as part of an a cappella group at Columbia U and went on from there.

Even before the show they opened for acts like the Grateful Dead, the Mothers of Invention, the Kinks, Bruce Springsteen and John Lennon.

After the show got canceled, many of them kept with it in the touring show (and too many deaths by drug overdose in there) and others went back to become doctors, lawyers, teachers and such.

Fascinating that never knew before.

January 31, 2017 at 3:06 pm (Edit)
    I think it’s time for a Piggy poll
    A. Linebacker
    B. Guard
    C. Tight End
    D. Cornerback
    E. Tackle
    F. Other

****
    I tend to think think instead of D and E the 4th choice should be a DE….lol

agree?

Really good DEs and CBs are usually expensive in FA. I don’t think we need to target a top CB. But I’d add some competition in the draft. I think we should draft a DE top two rounds.

agreed
      I don’t think we want to target any big FA
      but if we do OG would be where I would go to avoid paying a lot
      plus I would like a vet

Albeit DEs can be expensive
      I tend to think drafting DE is a little more risky than other positions
      Seems like a high bust position
      So many factors that come into play: 3-4 vs 4-3, some are really undersized and can’t get up to NFL size without losing speed & some like Jordan and Gholston are just fucking lazy and there physical freakiness supersedes that in the eyes of the scout

I get nervous predicting pass rusher success from college to the NFL

Well you have to get DEs somehow. LOL

That said TBaum and Grier are big on DL so I would not be surprised if we added a few DL in the offseason.

We could definitely use some more competition on the interior OL.

the poll is up

I voted! Do I get a fucking sticker?

The only high price FA I would have any interest in is Eric Berry. That made me vote other as safety was not on the poll. Of course I don’t think that is going to happen

Zeitler might possibly be looking at a $5M/year contract.

Our new DC Matt Burke knows something about Kevin Zeitler being he was the Bengals LB coach a couple of years ago.

Yes, a year, and that’s a fairly good sized contract if he gets 4 or 5 years. I was just throwing that out there in terms of the comments about FA spending. Zeitler won’t be a cheap signing at OG..I don’t think anyway.

I’ve said the same about Bushrod. He could actually serve as a backup for every position but Center. He’d be good quality depth. I’d still look for a C/G in the draft too.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Zeitler gets more like $7-8M per year. He’s one of the better OG’s in the league, and these days, OG’s get paid too.

MikeE,
    I really don’t pay a whole lot of attention to salaries. I guess I was thinking that top guards make 3-5M a year. You know more about it than me. I’m probably way off.
    ***
    If he wants 7-8M/year….I’d have to think twice. That seems like a whole lot of money for a guard.

It’s k you are old so you still think of things when comes were a nickle 🙂 lol seriously though a very top OG could command close to 10mil a year. Zeitler might be a guy who is close to that, maybe 8-9mil per with good chunk of guarantees.

It’s cool Mikey, I wasn’t saying it in the way ya thought, probably could a used better words. I don’t have a problem with Howard if they take him or where they take him, they know what he is worth it to them.

I was mostly just saying, don’t lose it if they don’t because irregardless of what another evaluator may have graded him 6.8 or whatever, only thing that matters is what the phins place on him as his value to us. It might be higher, it might be lower, do any of us really down because the didn’t take who we thought was best is where it all kinda gets sideways.

I have a handful of people I’d like for us to end up with but I may be wrong about all of them. Just easier I think to trust them to do their jobs and this next year we should have confidence Gase will do his which includes decisions on players that are on this team

Cool – I’ve already resigned myself to the fact that we likely won’t draft him, but if we do, I’d be thrilled. I’m quite used to not getting what I want in the draft

So, are you guys talking actual yearly salaries or with everything added in like bonuses and such? Guards make 7-10M a year in just salary? Holy shit. I should have taken more steroids. Lol

Randy, it would be great to find a seasoned G who can upgrade our OL in that $3-5M range but not sure who that is. The salaries always go higher at every position over the years. The cap goes up too. You have to reconfigure the numbers in your head. 🙂

There’s a reason I know very little about salary stuff…I chose not to! Lol I don’t have the desire or time to keep up.

D,
    Close, I can remember buying a bottle of pop for a dime. Well, not actually having the dime to BUY the pop, but I did see them advertised. Lol

I went to that spot. When I saw that there were about 13 different ways to look at salaries I closed the window. It’s easier to just listen to you guys. Lol

Annual salary usually gives you a good barometer for guaranteed money. It’s usually half.

You sound like me when I read instructions on how to put something together. It all becomes Chinese. lol

I just went through that with a filing cabinet that of course had a damaged piece. I’m so sick of that or a piece missing with these cheap alternatives that list what you should have for tools missing one and what each piece is but they’re not labeled so you have to eye all of it, each friggin screw or molly or whatever the fuck. LOL

I can’t do it right when they are labeled correctly. I’m spatially challenged or something. Not sure what they call it, but I can easily put something together backwards or upside down

I would love it if we used our $$$ in FA to sign vet OL
    and saved the draft for defensive prospects….oh yeah and TE (Piggy rolls his eyes)

72. Randy,
    I like Moton a lot and I like him a lot better at RT than James.

73. Some Combine predictions:
    Reddick will improve his status and solidify himself as a first rd prospect in the draft.
    Jordan Willis will struggle some in the agility drills and will drop a bit.

Willis is a player I’d like to have. He’s a very hard worker that seems to already have the mindset of being a Pro player. He models himself after Wake…let’s get him….lol

• Watch his games and tell me what you see. Slow at the snap. Has zero moves as a pass rusher. His best games were vs teams with shit on the offensive line.
        He has terrible agility. his ability to change direction is just BAD.
        So, he may have had this incredible straight line speed at the Senior Bowl but it doesn’t show up on tape.

I too am of the notion that I’d rather see us pay for a seasoned OG in FA since we’ll have plenty of Cap.
    Zeitler will get too pricey, but I’d be ok with RG Warford who’s 26yo and proven, and if we couldn’t land him, then the Cowboy LG Leary if he didn’t try to break the bank.

This leaves us better room to go the way we want with other FA’s & of course the Draft early on.

Lou,
    I don’t know if I like Moton that much. I think highly of James. I think he could be a probowl level player. People forget that the kid has started from day one, learned on the fly and had to play alongside some poor RG’s. I’m not really sure why he struggled last year, but I expect him to step it up next year. Moton has played tackle, but I question his ability to move well enough in the NFL. It wouldn’t hurt to rotate him through at both positions and see what he’s got though. If he can show he can play both…all the better.

Agreed, hey lookie there….lol 😉
      Now’s not the time to give up on a young JaWuan James. Let’s put Warford next to him. 🙂

• I never cared for the James pick. I think it was poor taking him in the first rd and he really hasn’t paid dividends for us on the offensive line. He led the team in penalties in ’14 and again last season.
      He’s undisciplined as an offensive lineman and needs to step it up this year. He’s okay but I wouldn’t say he’s anything special.

76. This is why PFF is so full of shit. In the article posted above they state that Jordan Willis had a “ridiculous 80 pressures on the year”. The most ridiculous thing about that is the statement. There is a player in the world who gets 80 pressures in a season
    Never going to happen. And Willis sure as hell didn’t get them. I’ve watched half his games so far and he ain’t showing no burst off the line.

Lou you could be right, but Willis is also good at setting the edge, is good in run support reads too. We don’t need lightening fast against Brady cuase he’s still gonna be hard to get at, we need someone that can collapse & muddy the pocket getting Brady out of his comfort area. I see Willis doing that, he sometimes reminds of Bosa with his push, and Bosa has worked out very well when he too was railed for being a tad slow of initial burst.

We should make a serious run at Leary for our LG. Winters got 4 years @ $29 million with $15 million guaranteed, so he’ll probably cost a little more than that, as there will be multiple teams competing for his services.

ONE ISSUE I’d like to return to is replacing Brandon Albert. Lest we forget, it was ALBERT who allowed the huge hit on Tannehill that KILLED our chances of advancing in the playoffs! And his $10 Million salary is WAY OUT OF LINE with what he’s likely to produce in the coming season.— Let’s trade or cut his ass and take whatever cap money we save and invest in SOMEONE BETTER!!! Otherwise Tanny (or Moore or whomever) is going to end up on the disabled list in 2017.
    —————
    ALL THIS TALK about getting a stud LB or a stud on the edge is nice. I HOPE IT HAPPENS. But if we don’t shore up our O-Line THIS FRANCHISE WON’T EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN THE COMING SEASON!!!! Tnny will be back on the DL and AJAYI won’t come close to 1100 yards with the CURRENT “OFFENSIVE” LINE!

OD — you are right about his salary, but I say keep him one more year at least. Think he has earned that for being a team player, good guy, and mentor to Tunsil. And against the cap it is really $7 mil. Plus for the same reason you mention, a trade is out of the question. Could see them asking for a re-do though.

• the cap hit is really $10.6M but who’s counting?

And $3.4 mil in pro-rated bonus. Comes up to about $7 mil play versus cut to me. Not worried about Ross’ money.

• it’s still a cap hit of $10.6M.

• The pro-rated bonus would be dead money if he’s cut. The $7M+ would be the savings against the cap. He carries a cap hit of the two combined if we keep him. He ain’t worth it. He’s not in the future plans.

• they’re not going to ask for a re-do on Albert’s contract. he’s 32 yrs old and he’s not in their future plans. Tannenbaum already hinted at how they are looking at things going forward and if you’re not in the team’s future plans there’s a good chance you’re not going to be around.
        If they don’t plan on keeping Albert next year there’s a very strong possibility he’s not going to be here this season either.

“The $7M+ would be the savings against the cap.”….all I was ever saying. And whether they offer a re-do to Albert or not remains to be seen, that includes asking him to take less money for one year to stay. Not sure why anyone would be against that if the number ended up a good one.

• It’s a very unusual situation. When guys get towards the end of the contract and the guarantees are gone teams will usually eat a bit of dead money for the bigger cap savings; especially if a player isn’t in their future plans.

And very well may be what happens. To my mind though Albert is still a valuable player, even if maybe not the money he is slated for. Biggest Q might be whether or not he is willing to take on that next team or be willing to set down with this one. He was a top first pick with lots of money in the bank. He could be planing to retire after next season. Who knows?

“The secret is out: It’s the best job in sports. I’ll milk this cow as long as I can.”

And guesses as to which person said this about what he does to collect his Dolphin’s paycheck?

81. Illinois State FB
    ‏@RedbirdFB

Lawrence, Kansas 6’7″ OL Kobe Buffalomeat (@buffalomeat10) joins a stacked class up front for the ‘Birds #RedbirdNSD17

82. I’m sticking to my guns on my four guys in this draft:

RD 1 Reddick
    RD 2 Walker
    RD 3 Smoot
    RD 5 Phillips

I’ve been talked into changing my mind numerous times in the past but four young guys with speed and who can be developed into very good players for the team is something I can’t pass up. I know I wanted to fix the o-line and still do but we can definitely sign at least one guy in FA who will help us there. Maybe we can find a way to get another pick in the 3rd or 4th rd and get someone like Banner as well.
    I know the team isn’t picking all four of these guys but this is my list and I’d be thrilled with it.

83. Matt Miller
    Verified account
    ‏@nfldraftscout

Malik Hooker had surgery Tuesday on a torn labrum and a hernia that he played through late this season. He will miss the Combine.

Retweets
    125
    Likes
    111

84. Jordan Willis is a “rich man’s” Derrick Shelby.

85. Andrew Perloff ‏@andrewperloff 3h
    3 hours ago

“I’m gonna say no one is better than me.” – Dan Marino when Dan asked if Brady is better than he was

Why am I thinking the source of this is SIms’ agent after crunching the numbers? Or maybe 256 yards on the season just somehow got lost in the mix. Just call me skeptical.
    —————-

Voices from inside the building have repeatedly stated that decision-makers see Sims as a potential long-term starter, a view that seemed to be confirmed during prolonged portions of the 2016 season.

In six appearances, Sims, who replaced the injured Jordan Cameron, recorded a 100 percent catch rate and was over 50 percent in five other games. From Week 7 until the end of the season, he was on the field for more than 96 percent of their offensive snaps per game, and the production followed.

Sims’ four touchdowns over the last six weeks of the season were tied for the most in the NFL over that time among all tight ends, tied with the Colts’ Dwayne Allen, the Bills’ Charles Clay, the Bengals’ Tyler Eifert, and the Chargers’ Hunter Henry.

I remember Gase saying he really likes what Sims brings to the table. He said there’s not too many TEs who can block DEs and still be a factor in the passing game.

I have no doubt that they really like Sims, and so do I. But we all know he is never going to be a threat in the passing game….even if man can catch, rumble and scare the heck out of some dbs.

He’s not a big time playmaker but he is faster and more athletic as a receiver than people think.

No matter what we do, would love to have him still on the team. 256 yards with all those 3-receiver sets while you play 96% of the snaps is just that though. He might be a playing combo with a more fleet guy, but…..you get the idea. Pretty sure he won;t be getting big offers in FA though, which means we should be able to keep him.

If you signed Simms
      And you drafted Howard (not that I advocate for that sort of thing)

We could really turn on the burners in our running game

Stanger, we agree on Sims. That’s why I would love to add another TE who can block and be a seam threat. Then we could use more 2-TE sets and open more holes for Ajayi who I think the offense will center around in 2017.

Lets see if someone makes him go “Charles Clay” on us, but my guess is we can keep Sims for like $3 mil per year.

As a hypothetical

If we were awarded a 3rd and 5ths as comp picks

And then you draft Howard in the 1st
    And a LB in the 2nd
    And then you use the comp picks to move up
    Getting another late 2nd or early 3rd

And you use that additional early pick on say a LB or maybe a DE or an OG

You probably added 3 potential starters via the draft

Then you have he remaining day 3 picks to work on depth

I have our needs as
    2 LB
    1 DE
    1 TE (which is a bit of a luxury)
    1 OG
    That’s 5 spots
    Provided we resign our guys

If you get 3 starters from the draft before day 2 ends
    It was a great offseason

You should be able to do something about those 2 other holes without breaking the bank in FA

So the howard pick can work
    Provided I get at least 1 LB in day 2😜

I think the TE position is also about what the team thinks of Duarte. Can he be the weapon we’re looking for in the passing game?

I’m Farty for Duarte

but I think its a different dynamic

1. Duarte at best is just a weapon the passing game….if he was elevated to 1 or 2 on the depth chart, he is always gonna be a liability in the running game

2. even if you accept those blocking shortcoming from Duarte, seems to me asking him to be the kind of TE to bring the offense to the next level is lofty aspirations for him

I tend to think TE is a bit of a luxury pick
        but if we decided to treat it as a priority on draft day – I think its with the intent to go “next level” with our offense
        and I’m not sure Duarte can contribute that way

I think Mike E’s vision (which he is clearly a lunatic about)
        it to really open up the offense

there is nothing on our roster now that will really accomplish that
        despite all my fartiness for Duarte

If they are looking at Sims as the answer at TE, is the question “Do we want to be a decent team on offense?”

I hope that’s just a bunch of garbage talk, because I think that’s a mistake. Sims, and Gray? Really???

• Phindog says:

Hater 🙂
      I think Sims or any TE was not utilized properly in the past. But later in the season they were and the results were very good.

I will definitely be “hating” if that’s how we move forward at TE. I’m just keeping it real man, that’s how i feel, and have felt for some time about TE. We can do better than Sims, a lot better.

You don’t need a 50 catch 10 TD guy at TE to be a good offense
      you need a collection of weapons and good play calling and execution

our offense won’t live and die based on Simms being our #1 TE
      and when talking about Simms is always important to highlight what a solid contributor he is to the running game

even if we pick up a TE with a high pick this offseason
      I want Simms on the field a lot
      I imagine we will be working in and cycling 3 WR sets and 2 TE sets to keep the defense off guard if we do that

But Simms is a badass IMO
      he’s just not that open up the passing game guy

• Phindog says:

Agreed ^^^

I’d be thrilled with Howard and Sims in 2 TE sets and running the ball w/ Ajayi and Drake and using Howard and Sims in the pass game when they load up for the run

Agreed.

You will be crushed on the other hand when you have to watch our defense bc we invested so much in our offense….lol

“But Simms is a badass IMO…he’s just not that open up the passing game guy.”

That is the bottom line on it. And we came into last season with Cameron and Sims. That was the plan. Whether the all-stud TE or just someone that plays the seam threat part of that on passing downs…..there will be someone that offers that come training camp.

Lets do a hypothetical
    Lets say we let Simms walk
    and we drafted Jordan Leggett

Leggett might great in our passing game
    but no question about it IMO, our running game and our pass protection will take a step back

Seems if we brought in Leggett that would be the exact reason to keep SIms. Would be a nice pair. And even Sims got out of price range, downside might be bringing in a pure blocking TE to compliment. Am pretty sure no matter what happens we will have a dude at TE who can block. What do teams keep now….like three or four TEs?

I don’t know how many we keep

but don’t let Mike E fool you

He has his heart set on 1 guy – OJ Howard…lol

And Howard does both well, so that is a unique benefit

Piggy

I’d be happy with Njoku, or Sprinkle, but please, dammit please, don’t just leave it as is. That would really piss me off. Not as much as you will be pissed off if we don’t take a LB in the first 2 rounds though. 🙂

Its hard to compare with how mad I will be if we ignore LB again

You will hear Squeals across the entire Northeast

I believe it. Don’t worry, we will address LB. It’s also very possible that the Sims “love” is just misdirection for the draft

Sims is “badass.” I was thinking how badass he was when he was out for a few games after falling down in the endzone, dropped the ball, and got a boo boo on his head. lol

93. Phindog says:

I just can’t see a scenario where we don’t address LB in the 1st 2 rounds as well as FA.

I can see us targeting LBs in FA and the draft. I wouldn’t worry about it.

LOL @ Doggy!

I would not be surprised if we signed 2 DL, 2 LB and a serious G in FA not counting re-signing our own. FA might end at that too with the exception of a few lower tiered guys to compete for a roster spot.

We can’t fill every hole (or upgrade, as Tim likes to call it) in one offseason. I think we can roll with the TE’s we have for another year. We need some LB’s, and a G or two, and will need some pass rushers as well. I happen to like Sims a lot, and Gray played well when called upon. We wait until next year for a TE, say, Mike Gesicki, and we have a formidable duo moving forward.

If you bring in Leary to play LG, you have to cut Albert.

• Brian in NY says:

I’m okay with that. He is injury prone, and is another year older. His play has been slipping a bit, and he’s likely to suffer more injuries this year, almost certainly forcing another reshuffling of the OL.

I’m bringing in someone for RG and make Bushrod a swing guy. He’s likely going to play, it always happens. I’m drafting a C/G by the 3rd as insurance for Pouncey who I’m not sure anyone is sure about. Then let guys like Steen and Urbik compete too. Sam Young would be an inactive until he has to start at tackle. He’s only a tackle so he’s not a good game day backup where we only dress two.

LT Albert
      LG Tunsil
      C Pouncey
      RG FA
      RT James
      2 backups who can cover multiple positions

Great depth at TE blocking and Ajayi the shit out of teams. 🙂

Mike, the way I look at it is having multiple guys who can play tackle is a strength. We have to upgrade the interior and protect against a loss of Pouncey.

Bushrod is not a natural interior guy and even he admits that but he’s a vet and a leader type. Therefore he gives great effort wherever he has to play. Perfect backup/role player. He’s going to be 33 when the season starts so not sure there is any upside here. More security and solid.

Tim, I was mentioning it last nite….FA Warford @ RG, he’s 26 and nicely on the upswing. Leary worries me a tad.

Check out tomorrow’s article, there will be lots to look at and discuss!

Mike E, I too am totally on the wagon for OJ Howard, especially if we do well in FA @ OG & LB.
    Also depends on how that 1st round of the draft plays out. If Howard is gone or if we have a stud LB?DE fall to us like Tunsil did last year then I think we can still make out well later with Bucky Hodges or Leggett.
    I favor Hodges over Leggett even though Hodges doesn’t get near the mention Leggett has here or elsewhere.

I want the re-signs of our own and newbees in FA to make the draft BPA.

That’s I’m sure most all GM’s game plan, but with 31 other teams in the mix in both FA & the draft makes it an influx on the fly unveiling across the offseason

#22 is where playoff teams just take the BPA who is still there unless the draft is weak and you go with the best need. We’ll all have a better idea after the combine, pro days and FA. That’s when the talent pool gets graded and sorted out.

GDP

I think Warford isn’t really a great fit for our ZBS. He’s a big boy (332 lbs), kind of like Gabe Jackson who plays for Oakland. I happen to have liked Jackson, but they want a more agile guy, and Warford hasn’t even been a dominant run blocker, he’s just OK.

…or in your case Mike he gained 14lbs? 😉
    It is the offseason….cheez burdgar cheez burdgar

“Flashes quickness to trap and get around the tackle to lead run plays. Gets down quickly to cut block and take out linebackers in the hole on traps. Hustles downfield to help out ballcarriers when needed. Plays with some attitude, brings some pop to his punch when helping his tackle against a pass rusher.”
      ______________________________

Go to bed Mike, you need some rest. lol 🙂

Goodnight GDP, I need my beauty sleep, although I think I would need to sleep for a year or so. lol

This team has plenty of holes. Just keep adding more talent. Acting like we’re something we’re not, a solid playoff contender, isn’t an accurate evaluation and leads to stupid choices that don’t help longterm.

Mike you post Warford’s combine pre-draft scouting report from 4+ years ago??? LOL
    He might have developed some by now I think. 🙂
    Also that combine report compared him to Marshall Yanda….who wouldn’t want Yanda on their OL? Many of us here were moaning for him when he was a FA a couple years back.

Tim/getter,
    OR, we barely won 10 games against an extremely weak schedule in a year where both our offense and defense were average at best. We have holes at OL, S, CB, DE, TE and LB. Yeah, we’re just stacked. Super Bowl here we come. Lol

Dude, we know we need some upgrades, but let’s not pretend we can’t compete. Think about the secondary alone not being complete in 2016. We could be so much better in 2017.

R. Jones, IAQ, Maxwell and Howard on the field at the same time with McCain and Lippett as nickel/dime. How long did that last year? We played without our starters as a group all year. Yes talent makes a difference. Add more in the mid to late rounds and create competition for a final 9 – 10.

Extremely week schedule??? Randy, C’mon, this is the NFL, it’s a fine line between teams and things can change on a dime with injury, momentum, etc.

Green Bay got blown out in the playoffs….are they screaming we got holes everywhere, or let’s get some guys healthy & add some more talent & depth???

As if playing the Pats twice a year isn’t enough. Gase’s biggest challenge is beating them. That’s the key obviously, they’re playing Sunday in Feb… again. That’s your obstacle.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. It’s not worth arguing about it.

getter,
    This isn’t the first time folks around here have talked about how good this team is and were wrong. It happens…oh…every damn year. I’ve heard it all before. Lol

But in a sense that’s how most fans of 30-31 other teams feel each year about this time too. Only one can be Champ, so the rest gotta keep plugging away or stop being fans.
      We did see vast improvement this year under a very promising rookie HC. So I’m excited about the future of this mostly young squad.
      This isn’t Cleveland….lol 😉

Who the hell gets all that crap on a burger? Lol