Charles Harris #90 (RD 1 Pick #22)

So who is Charles Harris, and how does this guy help the Miami Dolphins?

Miami Dolphins Rookie Minicamp

Harris was a 3 year starter at Missouri at DE.  In 35 starts, Harris totaled 18 sacks, 34.5 TFL, 5 passes defensed, and 5 FF’s.  He accomplished this despite the fact that he didn’t start playing organized football until his Junior year of High School.  We all know he ran a 4.82, which we’re all aware that it’s not especially fast.  Where this young man makes his hay is with his explosive first step.  He won’t be running 40 yards often, unless he snares an INT or runs back a fumble return.  In the trenches, you win with quickness and explosiveness, and Harris has that in spades.

How will Harris find any playing time?  Yes, the Dolphins went into the draft already having pretty good depth at DE when they re-signed DE Andre Branch, and then traded for Rams DE William Hayes.  We also have Terrence Fede, Julius Warmsley, and FA pickups Arthur Miley and Nicholas Williams.  Some of these guys won’t be on the roster after training camp and/or pre season. My hope is that Hayes starts at RE on early downs, he’s a great edge setter and plays the run very well.  I hope they have Branch in on early downs at LE, and let Wake come in on passing situations.  I’d like to see Harris with Wake opposite him both rushing the passer.  I think that would be ideal.

It’s important to remember the Dolphins made it clear they don’t feel that a pass rusher has to be a certain size, or prototype.  The Dolphins best is Cam Wake, who for a DE prototype (at least the OLD prototype) is on the smaller side at 6’3″ 269, not the old 6’6″ 290.  Harris is actually a little bigger than Wake was coming into the NFL, as Wake was about 235, and Harris is already at 253. It would be great to see Harris blossom as a pass rushing threat for Miami, because we certainly need that.  A great pass rush makes the secondary look so much better.

While it’s hard to predict how much of an impact Harris might have, I think if we can get  somewhere around 10 sacks out of him +/- 2, I think that would help the team this season.  I’d like to see him increase that by 1 or 2 every year until he’s up for his new contract.  We know to beat Brady, you have to pressure him, and I’m hoping with Wake, Suh, Phillips and Harris, we can do that.

Go HARRIS!  ZERO IN on the QB!

422 Responses to Charles Harris #90 (RD 1 Pick #22)

Nice job mike. 10 sacks might be too high for his rookie season especially since he’s coming off the bench. Anyway I hope harris can get to the 10 sacks.

“I’d like to see Harris with Wake opposite him both rushing the passer.” Yep Mike E. Not sure how Branch will feel about it but it is hard to see how that does not make the most sense. Would be different if Wake and Harris were not most distinctly pass rush specialists.

Mando has a pretty good article on the guard situation. He’s basically telling people like me that the Phins feel like they have it covered. And includes an interesting point: “One more thing: There will be games this coming season in which one of Miami’s guards, by design, will be assigned to block nobody on certain plays. Nobody!”

As long as it works out, it’s not important who plays where, or who we signed. I just hope they’re right with what they’ve done.

Besides OD, who are these people that think That? I guess Home and the other idiots on the Herald site. Its tough to compete with teams like the cheats, when you’re paying that much for a guard.

I’m one. Still thinking that we will have at least one more compete guy coming in. Could be someone like Mangold or maybe a June cut. And maybe we didn’t need a $10 mil G or put a first round pick into it, but seems right now we got two cheap older guys and a 5th rounder plus a good C with health concerns.

steveccnv says:
    May 10, 2017 at 11:07 pm

And yet we’re favored in 9 games. I know the cheats are favored in all their games, but…again the line isnt an indication of how many wins they think we’ll get, but a middle grounds to get betting on both sides. They also get to hold your money for free, for several months.
    ————————————–
    D says:
    May 11, 2017 at 11:02 am

That’s a much better way to say what i was trying to Steve, thanks.

Guys like Harris, McMillan, Asiata… fit the mold of the type of players the team is trying to obtain. Smart, dedicated, tough, and most of all football players (not track stars or workout warriors posing as football players).

They want Landry type of heart and will. Steve Smith has that in him too, he best showed it for Carolina in an NFC playoff game, when nothing was going right for the Panthers, he could be seen on the sidelines raising hell with everyone, then went in as a PR, and took it for 6.

With the game on the line, we want guys that will make a play. It happened last year a lot, and it wasnt a fluke.

What im trying to say is we need to have these types of players to compete with the cheats. After 15 years some team is actually trying to mold themselves after the cheats, go figure.

Steve

It reminds me some of our 2010 draft. Odrick, Misi, flip Nolan Carrol with John Jerry, and it’s pretty similar.

Stanger

Regarding your 12:52PM post, this educated football fan calling into NFL radio was saying we’re a team who’s one more draft away from being real contenders. He was a Titans fan BTW

Nice write up Mike E. Looking forward to seeing Harris and Wake rushing the passer at the same time

Guess should have expected cause it was against the Jets…..but we got crushed in the seat draft.
    Lets start with the good news. Tickets will be same cost as last year at $65, but that is only cause the better options at $80+ were already filled up.

Bad news is same price for not as good as last year. We have them in the top two rows in Sec 323, which is on the goal line. You guys can now hit on me for that……but best I could do.

Season ticket sales are way up and we only came up after “corporate group reserves” even though we were in on first day possible. Her response to me biotching about how this group was here for years even when the upper bowls were empty was, “I understand, but you are one of the ten groups on my list who will get tickets today….fifty of them on it will not.”

Maybe we should turn OD loose on the ticket management. 🙂

Damn Stanger – Those seats really blow. Maybe we should just go to Bokampers and watch the game there. We can eat outside before the game to recreate the tailgating experience. lol

Goal line is being kind. They’re basically in the back corner of the end zone

Best I could do Mike E…..not so different from the ones for the first two Fests though. Maybe the price of success and the seats they took out in the upper bowl. She said 85% of the seats were gone before they even got to group sections….and we came after the favored corporate groups.

I don’t care where we sit

just don’t put me next to Rock again!

😀
      just kidding Rock…

10. dbolt48 says:

Nice article Mike! I think more important than the number of sacks Harris gets will be his number of pressures. If he can have a high ratio of pressures per rush that will be more valuable than sack numbers.

In the big picture of things, it really doesn’t matter where we sit, because it’s all about the company, but it would been great to at least have been able to get the same seats

But we went with the Jets game. They do tier pricing these days. Titans was at the cheapest level, but that is off now cause all the big groups (little leagues and such) that came in bought for that one cause it was cheaper.

Good writeup, Mike! I think the plan might be Hayes at LDE and Branch at RDE with Wake and Harris coming in on passing downs. Not like it will be that all the time, but maybe half the time.

Yeah, that’s possible too. I think they could both probably play either side.

I like that lineup, in the past we’ve had starters and replacements. I like the situational players better. The problem is teams may pass more against us early downs.

Stanger

Not blaming you bud, I know you always do the best you can do. I’m just disappointed with the ticket office.

I wasn’t happy either, but still $65 per ticket. And most groups like us were left watching as the “no vacancy” sign was turned on. If the team sucked and we were playing say the Browns we could sit down real well.

Yeah, I hear ya man. No worries, we’ll have the greatest of times as always 🙂

Good stuff Mike E

Charles Harris gets 4 sacks in week 1!
    😀

15. Rhino says:

if we plan on situational substitutions (run vs pass downs because our personnel isn’t strong in both) no huddle against us when we have the “wrong guys” out there could be a disaster.

I don’t think it will be a problem because Branch can pressure the QB and Hayes had good pressure numbers last year as well. They’re just not high sack guys. It’s not like Wake and Harris can’t play the run at all, you just want them out there more when we have teams in passing situations.

Yeah, I’d be real careful against the cheats, but what I don’t get is wht they let teams keep you off balance like that. Just FN encroach and take the penalty, then you can substitute.

Rhino

No huddle can always give you problems, but we’re going to come out prepared to stop whatever offensive set comes out, so if they come out with 3 WR’s, we’ll have our pass rushers in there. If they come out with 2 TE, we’ll have our LB’s and possibly our big nickel. We won’t be caught with the “wrong” personnel

POSITIONAL VERSATILITY… that’s the key to success.

dbolt48 says:

May 11, 2017 at 3:09 pm

And that will be very important vs tha Pat’s because they screen the hell out of you in the no huddle.
    ———-
    TRUTH
    +100000000000000

They’ve been doing that to us for last 15 years… and we NEVER seem to figure it out.

Someone needs to figure out the cheats O. It can’t be that hard to defend. Every other gimmicky O formation gas been solved. The cheats use the rub routes at critical times, figuring they won’t get called. That’s their bread and butter.

The cheats play off of what the refs call, so in no penalty games they’re at their best, because they take advantage of holding on both sides of the ball, if your team isnt also holding they’ll kill you, and when they’re in comeback mode, they get nothing called on them, so they look great.

Too many rulings over the last 15 years have gone in favor of the Patsies*… and I’m talking about rule changes to the game and how it’s played.

A DB can no longer touch a receiver after the LOS (I believe that’s known as the “Brady Rule”). Then we got the infamous “Tuck Rule”. I’m sure there are several others, but these are the ones that immediately come to my mind. These rulings have absolutely changed the way the game is played while favoring the Patsies*.

My bad… the “Brady Rule” has nothing to do with DBs… nevertheless, the Patsies* are the ones who got the DB vs receiver ruling implemented.

The Brady Rule is you can’t go low on the QBs legs. You can still bump the WR within 5 yards.

Just imagine if Tom Lady* had played in the era of Marino, Elway, Montana, Kelly, etc…

Now just imagine if Marino, Elway, Montana, Kelly, etc, had played in Tom Lady’s* era…

Anyway… in order to beat the Patsies*, I think we need to emulate them.

I believe that Steve is on the EXACT correct track.

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
    Damien Williams has signed his RFA tender, per league source.

He really had no other choice.

Bout Time! Not sure what he accomplished by waiting, but . . .

I guess he tried to see if he could get a bigger deal but it’s not happening. He really didn’t miss much at this point. Probably wanted to make sure he’ll be there for the first minicamp.

M13, Brady wouldn’t like playing in that era. LOL

Why would he get a better deal though, he had absolutely no leverage? Play well this year, and he’ll get paid somewhere.

I think he was hoping to get say a 3 year deal or something but he now knows it’s not happening. His tender tripled his salary. In the real world that’s pretty great. In the NFL I guess it isn’t but he has to realize his role and I guess he did.

The rule change in regards to the db not being able to hit the receiver after 5 yards, was there, but after the cheats mugged the Colts receivers all Championship game long, they started to enforce it (unless you’re a cheats defender) favoring the cheats.

It’s those pick plays that are questionable. The Pats are good at pushing the rules to the limit. Follow suit.

And they get the calls too, so…a lot to overcome for the Fins. When the cheats play good D and can run the ball they’re about unbeatable.

Yeah you basically have to knock the shit out of them and win one on one battles to ruin their day. If you don’t get to Brady and beat their defense with some big plays, it’s usually a long day for their opponents.

Glad to hear Damien signed, he’s one of those players I mentioned earlier, that the team is looking for, smart, tough, plays with urgency…he’s our current version of the TE that we couldn’t resign and went to Buffalo.

He is used pretty similarly to Clay, except more out of the backfield than Clay was.

That was the name i couldnt think of.

Yes but both Williams and Clay lined up all over the place. We’ve used Williams in the slot and out wide. He’s got a unique skill set and is a natural receiver. Not a feature back running the ball but he always gives great effort and has deceiving speed.

Williams runs very well after the catch. He navigates through traffic pretty good, and break tackles too. He seems much faster when he has a little space to get moving.

Williams is another weapon. We’re getting pretty loaded on offense.

5 sacks and say 20 QB pressures would be good for Harris in his rookie season.

The addition of Hayes could be one of our best offseason moves this offseason. That guy is a tough, physical dude who may not be flashy or heralded but he competes and plays the run and pass equally well.

If we score a lot of points this year there will be a lot more opportunities to rush the passer maybe he could get 10 or so.

Stanger,
    Thanks for the work you do getting the tickets. Sounds like you’ve made quite a name for our group. I don’t care where we sit, hell by halftime most of the stej fans will be heading for the parking lot.

Thanks Son. Different world these days…..the ones where 2nd half comes and you and I laugh at all the Ravens fans huddled in the shade in the before unused rows at the top of the deck are over. Least against the Yets.

Oh yeah Hayes plays a lot on the left side. Here are some highlights of him.

Has Branch played LE as well? I can’t look at videos at work

So sad for Chris Berman, he lost his wife in a car accident today or last night.

YOUNG STANGER: Thanks for the purchase of the group tix. I’m SURE you did your best, as always. Also thanks for the night before get-together at Dave & Busters AND for the unbelievable SPREAD on game day. Truth is, there’d likely be no fest without your involvement.
    ————–
    ON THE OTHER SITE YESTERDAY we discussed how Jim Kiick was discovered living in filth and squalor. He’s become kind of the poster guy for CTE. He now has the mentality of a child who has never learned bathroom procedures. It is truly an unbelievable tale of yet ANOTHER STAR of the Dolphins’ PERFECT SEASON WHO HAS PAID AN UNBELIEVABLE PRICE FOR FOOTBALL GLORY. Earl Morrall, Nick Buoniconti, Jim Kiick and likely many more members of the Greatest Team of all time are now either dead or shadows of their old selves. To say that this sickens me barely scratches the surface. I am hoping that Steve Ross steps forward and offers immediate help to those former Dolphins who are in the direst of straights. Everyone applauded Mr. Ross’s $400 Million donation to the University of Michigan. The Steve Ross School of Business at the U. of Michigan is now a reality. I’m hoping something similar can be done SOON for people in Jim Kiick’s condition. I hope Mr. Ross can help make it happen. These former players, and their families, NEED HELP.

Thanks OD — way I figure it, my main value is that Warren loves to put out the spread for food cost and his ticket. Lots of folks buy plane tickets and get hotel rooms for the Fest….I just try to set stuff up.

35. dbolt48 says:

Mike,
    Branch has played LDE for Jville.

OD

That’s sad stuff with all these former football players. The NFL should really be taking care of their own.

Mike, I’m no lawyer. But I understand the billion dollars the owners agreed to put in an account so that former players can get help is, itself, not available now due to a judges decision that the amount is insufficient and/or not being administered in the right way. Perhaps Ken, Piggy or another lawyer may know something about this. All I know is that the guys who need help can’t get much right now. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED has an article coming out on this issue. I’m going to a local Barnes and Noble bookstore for a few minutes tomorrow to see what I can find out. This story is eating at me. And I’m pretty sure this is just the tip of a very big, and very sad, iceberg.

May 11, 2017 at 1:03 pm
    Stanger

———————————————
    This is how I feel. IF this draft class turns out to be solid, then next year, with another good offseason, we could be real SB contenders. We’re playoff contenders this year, but I fully sit in the ‘we could be a better team with a worse record this year’ camp.

I could see us being a better team and have worse record, but I’m not going to puss out 😉 and say we’ll have a worse record. No reason why we can’t be contenders this year. I think we’ll give the cheats a run at the division.

That flies right in the face of ‘you are what your record says you are’.

Very sad and tragic about Berman’s wife.

I can’t do it. You’re not a better team if you lose more. It’s illogical.
    If you really are a better team then you should win more. Logical.

I agree. I suppose we might improve statistically, but not win games, but if that’s the case, are you really a better team if you don’t win?

Perfect example is the SB. You can say Atlanta had the better team, but they choked the game away to the Patriots, which makes the Patriots the better team. If you can’t finish the game, you’re not the better team.

40. ElephantRider says:

10 wins again and I say this team is better. So…..matching last year make them better??

I say yes. The knock last year was all the losing teams they beat. I say big deal, a win is a win.
    But going double digit again is a pretty big deal…..especially for this franchise that has been mediocre and worse for what seems forever now.

DBolt, i cant say i agree with you that a higher percentage of pressures per rush would be better than sack totals,especially when one is a subset of another, because you could have the same % of pressures per rush, and all of them end in sacks and therefore the sack number are still better!

Im JK though i mean i totally know what your saying, i say the same thing about ints vs PD, i like ints as a stat, but i mean you could have 8 ints, but get burned on every other play, you could be that boom ore bust player, especially in zone and you made the right play on it this time and 8 other time but it doesn’t at all make up for the time you didn’t. PD’s are my litmus test for a good CB, because that means they are always right there in their back pocket, and what happens most of the time is that those high numbers of PD’s eventually do turn into ints,but even if they dont, the good part is they also aren’t as likely to turn into completions.

Its one of the reasons im sad we didn’t take a chance on Brian Poole in a late round a last year. He was smallish, he didnt have big int numbers, and he didnt have godly 40 times, etc, but at UF he was always around the ball and always in the receivers pocket. He also had tons of PD’s, and was probably one of the most underrated CB’s at UF. While Tabor and Hargreaves kept stealing the show, Poole was silently stopping everything thrown his way from the slot. Poole is rocking it in ATL now, after being picked up as an UDFA. Im off an a little bit of a tangent, but what im trying to say is, people need to stop being stat watchers, people need to stop getting off on physical traits and start focusing on player based upon their dedication to their craft, playing with passion for the game, and how they affect the games they are in.

I think our FO/Coaches are kinda getting there now, because a lot of the players they have taken, especially this year are those kinda guys. A lot of their FA moves, were like that too, and a lot of the interview they do with the media seems to say those same things “your evaluations are wrong as writers, you are focusing on the wrong things, our grades on these guys are very different.”

The “Madden Curse” surely didnt seem to affect Odell Beckham, or Richard Sherman, or Calvin Johnson, or Brees, Fitz, etc. so there are more instances where the player was unaffected than was affected, its basically an urban legend at this point.

Yeah, you can’t claim to be a better team if you don’t win games. If we are a “playoff caliber team” then we should be beating good teams. If we don’t win at least 10 games again this year, I think it’s a step backwards. It is not a successful season if we don’t make the playoffs. Sooner or later if we’re supposed to be a good team, you should be able to beat other good teams. This crap about why fewer games this year but still being a better team is just crap.

Last time we had a 1st-team All-Pro at…

QB: Dan Marino (1986)
    RB: Ricky Williams (2002)
    WR: Nat Moore (1977)
    TE: NEVER
    T: Jake Long (2010)
    G: Ed Newman (1984)
    C: Dwight Stephenson (1987)

DE: Jason Taylor (2006)
    DT/NT: Bob Baumhower (1983)
    LB: Cameron Wake (2012)
    CB: Pat Surtain (2002)
    S: Jake Scott (1974)

K: Olindo Mare (1999)
    P: Reggie Roby (1984)

Hearst, Culpepper, George, Faulk, Vick, McNabb, Alexander, Young, Polamalu, Brees, Hillis, and Gronk. Personally, I don’t believe in curses, but, there are quite a few examples of cover boys suffering the next season

M

Fields was never an All Pro?

MF13,
    What?!? Soliai was never an all pro? Lol

I can’t believe that neither Mark Clayton or Mark Duper ever made 1st-team All-Pro status what with their prolific seasons under Marino. That’s just crazy to me.

Trivia question of the day

We two Miami Dolphins players have been named to more 1st-team All-Pro teams than anyone else in DOLPHINS history (NOT with other teams). Who are we?

Trivia question of the day

Hint #1

One of us is a 2x Super Bowl champion
    One of us never saw a Super Bowl

Larry Little?

54. dbolt48 says:

ZAch Thomas & Larry little as most all pros

55. dbolt48 says:

ZAch Thomas & Larry little as most all pros

BOOM!!! YOU GOT BOTH!!!

Zach and Larry both were named 1st-team All-Pros FIVE TIMES as Miami Dolphins.

Congrats, Dbolt!

• dbolt48 says:

Which shows what a joke it is that Zach isn’t in the HOF.

No cheating dbolt? 🙂

Regardless, M13……you do the quiz and you gotta roll out the numbers.

EXACTLY. If I didn’t already know the answer, I wouldn’t have asked the question to begin with. Truthfully, I didn’t know the answer until I researched it. I would have answered with Dan Marino and Jason Taylor, myself.

How may All Pros for each? Caught that Keuch got it three times.

I honestly didn’t realize Zach was an All Pro 5 times. That’s definitely HOF worthy.

LOL Doggy! I was totally thinking that too. We talked about a lot of stuff, but he was a very humble guy

May 12, 2017 at 1:50 pm

How may All Pros for each? Caught that Keuch got it three times.
    ——–
    BOTH Larry Little and Zach Thomas were named 1st-team All-Pro FIVE times. VERY impressive!

Stanger

He was only a 4x All Pro

Look at the top where it says Pro Bowls and All Pro

Might depend which all pro list people are talking about. I see both four times and five. Was just going off what the guys in Canton put out.

Stanger, what you posted, I noticed it said All Pro, and then a comma, and then 5X pro bowler. I think you missed the comma there.

On my screen it comes up with five times Pro Bowl and five times All Pro. And like I said, both four and five times All Pro are out there depending on where you go. My Guess is it comes cause it was back in the day where both the UPI and AP had there own All Pro teams and one year he made one and not the other.

^ Current search:
      For combined seasons, from 1967 to 2017, played ILB, OLB or LB, requiring Tackles >= 1050, sorted by descending Tackles

All-Pro, All-AFC five straight years, 1983-87 … Elected to five consecutive Pro Bowls

61. dbolt48 says:

Stanger,
    No cheating, just a random fact that’s stuck w: me since ZT was selected for his 5th honor tying Little.

I thought Webb was for sure a 5 or even 6 time all pro, not even close.

From ESPN’s list of under-25 stars looking for a big contract in the next year. I’m all in for Jarvis at $11 mil per year.
    ———————————-
    Jarvis Landry, WR, Miami Dolphins Age: 24

Landry will have to wait to make good on his promise to sweep the Patriots, but he has the potential to make top-10-receiver money soon enough. The Dolphins have made clear internally that they’d like to keep Landry long-term, though contract talks have not yet heated up. The highest-paid receivers — Antonio Brown, Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Julio Jones and A.J. Green — make between $14 and $17 million per year. Landry probably won’t hit that mark. But his 288 catches in three seasons, coupled with a ballooning salary cap and Mike Tannebaum’s willingness to spend, might get him to the top-10 receiver floor of $11 million as the team’s No. 1 receiver. The Dolphins can try to knock Landry at the negotiating table for his 13 receiving touchdowns in three seasons, and the team is expecting former first-round pick DeVante Parker to make a jump in Year 3, but Landry turns 25 in November, has Antonio Brown-like qualities and is one of the Fins’ toughest competitors. Those are the players you reward.

I want to keep Landry. Show him the $$$

• Brian in NY says:

There is no chance they let him walk.

I’d like to think that too, but sometimes demands get out of control

• Brian in NY says:

I think they will lock him up before he comes close to hitting FA. He doesn’t seem like the type of player that will be greedy to the point where contract demands will get out of control.

I’ve never been concerned about Landry because I know the team will re-sign him. He’s not a high TD guy but along with Ajayi he’s a big part of moving the chains.

Didn’t Dwight Stephenson make at least 5 all pro teams? I’m kinda shocked he didn’t.

Yes, 5 all pro and 5 pro bowls from 83-87 until his career was cut short.

But apparently he did not get the AP All Pro nod in 1983. So that year is subjective…..even if am sure he claims it. 🙂

I still hate Marty Lyons, and he’s one of the reasons I hate the jets more than any other team in our division. Yes, I hold grudges. Lol

Yeah, they were. Lyons and Stephenson supposedly never had an issue with the hit. Everyone on the Dolphins thought the play was dirty…or at least unnecessary…since it was on an interception or fumble…I can’t remember…and the play was already 20 yards or so downfield. It’s kind of hard to believe that was like 30 years ago. Jesus, I’m old.

May 12, 2017 at 1:53 pm

———————————–
    Mike he was just being nice to you, you had already started the hand service, he was just trying to make you feel good by letting you finish…..Was there a lot of eyes glazed over and nodding when you were talking?

May 12, 2017 at 2:45 pm

I thought Webb was for sure a 5 or even 6 time all pro, not even close.
    ———————————–
    Me too, Webb was the player i was most excited about us drafting and one of my favorite dolphins all time. Sims was a guy i like too.

Stanger – When, how much, and how to deliver cashola for the fest food?

Not really an issue. My buddy Warren does the tailgate for cost of food for the crew (man loves to cook). Night before we haven’t set up yet, but if we go the usual way just means a separate drink check for you and yours. So basic message is don’t worry about that.

Stephenson is probably one of the best to ever play OC, for us or any other team. Working in a big Bama fan area, they talk about him like he was the best OL to ever play there as well, and that’s a damn long list of good OL players.He also got called the best player i every coached by arguably the best coach ever to coach football. Im not even a Bama fan, and i hate seeing all the friggin houndstooth shit you see around here and pictures of Bear Bryant on every car lol, but as a coach he did dominate college football. Pretty good endorsement, id say.

The guy Stephenson had the biggest problem blocking was Reggie White. Like that was rare. LOL

White played mostly LDE in his career but would also line up inside at times and I remember a game where he was throwing Dwight around. But it’s not easy for an athletic 6-2 255 center to block a freak 6-5 290 athletic guy.

Yeah, Stephenson played at around 250. One of the reasons he was one of my favorite players. Guys were smaller back then, but he was almost always playing against bigger guys. He won with technique and heart. He’s one of the biggest reasons I became a Dolphins fan. I believe he was the greatest center of all time…partly because he was a small guy who was elite because he worked his ass off. He was a learning video on how to play OL. He rarely took a wrong step.

When I look at salaries I don’t view Landry in the $11M per range. He’s more 7-8 based on production. His YPCA and TD production isn’t high enough for more than that. We might overpay for him because of his versatility and intangibles but he’s not a game breaker. He is however a heart and soul type player who sets a tone for the team.

And I’m thinking he might go more like $12-13 mil if he hits the open market, even am happy to sign him for less at the early contract stage. Something special about the guy.

I compare him to Edelman. He makes less than $6M per and maybe that’s because of where he is and winning. But their numbers are similar. I think $12-13M for Landry is really high but I don’t make those decisions and don’t worry about it. I just want to see him stay in Miami.

I like Landry, but I hope he stops taking stupid penalties this year. I know people let it slide because he’s an emotional sort of guy, but you can be the same sort of player and not get penalized. Lol

Sometimes you just shouldnt follow the internet rabbit hole.

So im looking up some stuff about Dwight Stephenson, and i see a list of Alabama greats, that Stephenson is on, and then sitting there at number 1, there is Derrick Thomas. I was like oh yeah i remember him being so great, and i was thinking about my discussion a few days ago about LT being the best pass-rusher i think i have ever seen, but i remember Derrick Thomas being incredibly good too. So i youtubed one of his videos watched one, amazingly good, just incredibly perfect technique, amazing first step, great pass rush moves, a terror of a pass-rusher, just a different kind of terror than LT.

Then i saw on the side bar, “A football life – Derrick Thomas”, and i just spent the entire time watching every friggin second of it. If you haven’t seen it yet, you should watch it, but you better bring a man sized box of tissues, because its heartbreaking, and just because of his tragic end, but also because of the just sheer decency of him as a human being. He definitely had a side to him i think might not make him seem like a perfect angel, but that dude was a seriously great person, despite those things, and i didnt really know about those things until i watched that video.

Again, in some ways, really wish i hadn’t watch that, but in a lot of ways i am very glad i did.

Thomas was a great pass rusher. His get off was unreal. But, I still think LT was a better football player. Both great players though. I’m not huge on comparing people, but they’re fun conversations to have.

One of these days, we’ll be talking about Cam Wake being one of the greatest pass-rushers of all-time. His NFL stats won’t compare to the likes of Reggie White, Bruce Smith, and Lawrence Taylor… but his first season in the NFL was at age 27.

Add in his 39 Sacks in the CFL (from age 25), and he’s got 120.5 career professional Sacks. That would make him #21 in all-time Sacks today… and he’s far from finished.

MR. WAKE is a walking, talking billboard of “if you BELIEVE, you can ACHIEVE”. PLEASE don’t sleep on his greatness! Appreciate that man!

Son recently stated that this could possibly be Wake’s “swan song”. Should that be the case, let’s go ALL-IN this year to bring the Lombardi Trophy home for him!!!

GO WAKE!!!
    GO PHINS!!!
    HELL YEAH!!!

Wow, I know I don’t know all that much about football but I thought the idea was to try to win it every year? lol

You can only try to win every other year, as per the Goodell rulebook, unless you’re the New England Patriots, in which case you will be given assistance to win every year.

I think Edelman and Landry are similar in that they are both in very good situations with their current teams. Not to say they couldn’t duplicate what they’ve done somewhere else, but both guys are definitely focal points for their respective teams. For the Patriots, I think Gronk would be that guy, but he can’t stay on the field. If Parker finally steps up, I think we’ll be a better team for it, because Landry can’t do it all, nor should he be. We need more diversity.

82. jetsssuck says:

which one of draft picks is a shoe in for the HOF Was it the wooo-whoooo kid we got in the 4th.

lol JS……Carroo’s golden jacket is already reserved, if not paid for yet. How you been doing? Hope we get a chance to see you again at the night-before-Fest thing.

D: I saw a tape way back in the 1980’s of Bear Bryant discussing the great players he coached over the years at Alabama. On this tape, Bryant said, “Dwight Stephenson wasn’t just the greatest lineman I ever coached. He was the GREATEST PLAYER I EVER COACHED!”
    ————-
    My greatest Stephenson memory revolves around the unbelievable Bears game, Dec. 2, 1985, in (where else??) the historic Orange Bowl! In front of the biggest TV audience of all time on Monday Night Football, Stephenson took on William the “Refrigerator” Perry one-on-one and DOMINATED HIM! During a key point in the game, Stephenson came off the field with one arm hanging down his side. The Miami trainer correctly diagnosed the problem as a “stinger.” He worked Dwight’s shoulder and neck area and, in less than a minute, Stephenson was back in the game!! The sign “80,000 reasons WHY the Bears can’t win!!” took on new meaning when Dwight Stephenson and his O-Line pals were giving Dan Marino time to throw the football! It was certainly one of the greatest games in the storied history of this franchise!!
    ————
    Despite his too-short career, Dwight Stephenson was voted into the NFL Hall of Fame in his FIRST year of eligibility. HE was the greatest center I’ve ever seen!!

That Bears game was the best single game performance by any non skill position player in NFL history IMO.

Great game plan against the ’46’ defense. Our defense made some key plays too.

Fuk Jarvis Landry wanting $11M+…we got his replacement in Isaiah Ford
    *(how to create blog activity 101) 😉

Let the replies begin in 3…2…1…

Ford will provide more competition for the last couple of spots at WR.

Actually I see some Landry traits in Ford….so yes, great late pick up for competition, for injury insurance, and for the FUTURE!
      This draft had a lot of nice nuances to it.

Ford has a 3-4 rd grade based on production and skill set but got caught in a numbers game and fell due to his slight frame 6-1 194 and only running a 4.61. He runs good routes and based on videos I’ve seen from him he doesn’t get great separation but he wins a lot of contested plays on the ball.

Landry ran a 4.77 at his combine

Mike, I think Landry had a hammy issue at the combine. He ran a 4.51 at his pro day.

89. dbolt48 says:

You guys know me, I love 90’s/2000’s rock and the purity of true vocalization….staind was a group I loved…Aaron Lewis was & still is sn amazing performer, but his daughter might be one of the best pure vocalist I’ve ever heard. She sings this rendition of traveling soldier at the age of 13!

90. Phindog says:

WTH ?

Happy Mothers Day Herd, and to any of our fine readers who choose not to post!

Never heard of the guy in my life…..but sounds to me like Grier is firmly in place. Also sounds like we are taking care of our own in the front office as well.
    —————————-
    “The Bills have hired Miami Dolphins director of player personnel Joe Schoen as their new assistant general manager….the veteran front office executive will now serve as the right-hand man to new Bills general manager Brandon Beane.

“The Dolphins could have blocked the hire….executive V.P. of football operations Mike Tannenbaum decided to allow the move in order to foster an atmosphere of upward mobility in Miami, with quality work resulting in a reward — even if the reward comes from a division rival.”

Asiata is the latest guy to buy into what Gase is building. And real solid guy from the interview, but most Mormons are.
    ——————————————-

“I know that football, it’s huge now that guys are kind of, not necessarily about themselves but it’s a job. You have to provide for your family. It kind of takes the aspect from the team. I’m not saying that guys take away from the team but guys who generally care about each other, guys who are willing to go through a wall for each other, that’s not everywhere I guess.

When I came here, I felt the same way I did when I went to Utah in high school. I felt that camaraderie, that brotherhood. You can just tell that everybody in the building loved their job. They loved coming here because they care about each other. They want to be successful. They want to win games. That’s a really attractive trait to have, so I fell in love with that and the culture that they’re trying to build here, Coach Gase is trying to build here, and I’m looking forward to being a part of that.”

• Brian in NY says:

That’s exactly what you want to hear. He seems very grounded in his values. With an attitude like that (and his talent), it’s a virtual lock he will be starting week 1.

Think Larsen and maybe Bushrod might think differently, but for sure what you what you want to hear. And regardless sounds like we will have a quality 6th to step in for whoever. Larsen can play C and Bushrod can go at T.

• jetsssuck says:

wasn’t our HOF QB J.Beck a mormon also. I believe he was better than S.Young and made the HOF. We are in good hands with all the HOF draft picks we had this year.

jetsssuck — I thought Beck was a quality guy. Didn’t you? Obviously not a great QB, but seemed he had the character part down pretty well.

• jetsssuck says:

thank goodness I live in a gated community where those guys amd Beck can’t knock on my door. He probably couldn’t connect with the door button.

If Beck wanted to sit down on my couch for a while, I’d love to see what he has to say…..even if I would be pressing him for Phin stories. But you are right he failed as our QB.

Happy Mother’s Day Herd!

A lot of the quotes from the rooks can be seen on the official site sitting down with John Congemi. He’s sat down with all of them now.

Branden Albert not only hasn’t reported Jag’s offseason activities……he won’t even return phone calls from Coach Marrone.

“You just want to know where everyone is at and that’s all I was expecting. I can’t tell you what’s true and not true. I can’t speak for Branden. I can only tell you I have not talked to him.”

That’s kind of baffling. Not sure why he’s giving them a hard time

He wants a long term contract. Not sure if he would have held out on us but he sure is on them……or at least faking like he will.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
    Chargers released offensive lineman Orlando Franklin, per source. Chargers drafted two guards and deemed Franklin too pricey to keep.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
    The #Chargers informed OL Orlando Franklin of his release today, saving $3M against the cap. … But they still owe him $3.5M guaranteed.

Orlando Franklin signed a 5 year/$36,500,000 contract with the Chargers… he won’t come cheap. However, he did play at the U… he might take a hometown discount if he thinks we’re contenders.

I get the impression they’re satisfied with who we have on the O-line

That’s what we’re led to believe, especially after Armando’s article last week on as much. We’ll see!

Yeah, I mean no one really knows but them, but we have been led to believe that’s the case.

Might depend on Pouncey’s health, but whether a stud or a compete/experienced depth……don’t think we are done with the middle of the line.

If I’m a betting man… I’m not betting on this one. But IF we go after Franklin, look for a 2-year deal (that seems to be our shtick with vets).

Here’s what our O-Line would look like (IMO), if we were to sign Franklin…

LT- Tunsil
    LG- Franklin
    C- Pouncey
    RG- Bushrod or Asiata (camp battle)
    RT- James

– Franklin IS positional versatile, having played RT over his first 3 years in the league.
    – I’ve got NO problem paying Bushrod $3M this year to be a backup, should Asiata beat him. That’s a valuable insurance policy in the event of the injuries that WILL HAPPEN.
    – This O-Line would be one of the best in the league.

PFF rated Franklin their No. 66 guard last season out of 72 qualifying players. You might think that means not the G for us, but I think maybe the G for us…….at the right price of course.

I don’t think teams use PFF when evaluating players.

They probably don’t, but it is at least one measure for us to go off of. Another in this case is that the Chargers let him go and took a large cap hit instead. Thinking he might be there for $3 mil.

I no longer care what PFF has to say. Yes, I was once a HUGE advocate of them. Today? Not so much. They grew their brand and workforce so large to the point that half their people doing film study today don’t know what they’re looking at/for… especially from a team-to-team basis.

IMO, PFF’s originators were GRAND and actually knew what they were talking about. Today, the originators are raking money from their many employees who don’t know what they’re talking about. Anyway, I digress…

I don’t think you’ll hear Peyton Manning (not that he would) or Adam Gase gripe about Orlando Franklin back in 2014 Denver as their LG. Franklin even helped pave the way for RB Ronnie Hillman go to the Pro Bowl that year.

What’s more, the Chargers have problems all over their O-Line. With Franklin lining up between King Dunlap and Matt Slauson last year, he was never going to have success. Imagine Franklin between Tunsil and Pouncey… HELL YEAH!!!

M13 — props to you for mentioning your past with PFF so I don’t have too. 🙂

And I was really making the case for why we may be able to afford Franklin. The more he costs the less likely it is he ends up in aqua. I would love him on the team. And will point out that the Chargers went G in the 2nd and 3rd rounds completely aware he was on the roster and what his cap hit was.

That PFFt rating may not be accurate, but I’m with Stanger, you don’t take that kind of cap hit to cut a player that is performing well.

I thought it was just a cap hit, no way in hell do you cut a guy that you still have to pay $3.5M that’s worth anything, unless they just have to have the cap space.

Ronnie Hillman made the pro bowl?

May 15, 2017 at 12:50 pm

M13 — props to you for mentioning your past with PFF so I don’t have too.

———-
    Thank you, Stanger! 🙂

And YES… I know you’re trying to make the case to afford Franklin. And being the Chargers are on the hook to pay him $3.5M this year, he may come cheaper than imaginable… and that’s without the idea of a ‘hometown discount’. I think we’re on the EXACT same page, buddy! 🙂

The Gase connection is there to boot!

If his money is guaranteed though, seems you just cash the check and figure out what you want to do. But seems with him the whole consideration stops with that Gase connection. Why even worry one way or the other at that point?

BlackSportsOnline @BSO

Antonio Cromartie Who Had a Vasectomy Announces on IG He’s Having His 14th Child (Photos) (link: http://bit.ly/2qk5x9m) bit.ly/2qk5x9m

Joe Schad says. “These seven young Dolphins have colossal, mammoth, tremendous, titanic, gargantuan potential.” He might be a bit over the top there, but he really likes how this team is built.

In order he is talking about…..

Laremy Tunsil, OT, 22 years old
    DeVante Parker, WR, 24 years old
    Charles Harris, DE, 22 years old
    Xavien Howard, CB, 23 years old
    Kenyan Drake, RB, 23 years old
    Raekwon McMillan, LB, 20 years old
    Jordan Phillips, DT, 24 years old

Full with why for each:

Antonio Cromartie with a vasectomy could get an infertile woman with a sponge and an IUD pregnant

Wyoming — we have to get you to the stadium some time so you and check out your girls in person. And they are pretty, but if you see them up close….they are also girls. Almost makes you feel guilty.

I used to get to see them when they came to Houston!

Maybe this year?

Dad isn’t in any shape to do the annual fishing trip so I may be free?

Mostly I post the pics because rehashing the same arguments we’ve had for 10 years is old as hell!

Even when we get something new to chew on it turns into the same conversation! 😉

Fest game is against the Jets Oct 22. Not too late to be there for that weekend at all. Any other time you come down we could set up (even if maybe not in the stands), but that weekend is obviously by far the best.

And we at least have knew people to interject in the same old conversations each year. 🙂

Wyo, in the nicest way he can, is saying we bore him to the point of ripping his eyes out of his skull when reading this blog.

Stanger – to quote Hedley Lamarr . . .

Lilly, Lilly, Lilly, Lilly, Lilly legs. . . .

Not sure why the Colts are up there ahead of us, but I think other than that, it’s pretty realistic. Until we prove that we are a perennial playoff team, I get it.

I think we have a better roster than the Colts, but the division they’re in and everyone loves Luck.

Titans are better than the Colts though.

If the Texans get any kind of halfway decent QB play, they’re better too.

Well the Texans and Titans were 9-7 and the Colts 8-8 last year. I’m guessing they think the Colts will be better this year and they have the better QB. The Titans have a really good OL and running game, good young QB and some skill players but not sure about their defense.

Ahhhhhhhh Lilly. Still my favorite cheerleader even after all these years! Those pictures are over 10 years old now.

LOL — but there are least a few things that can stop that. What’s Lilly up to these days?

Just a guess here, but I’d say about 150 – 155lbs.

She’d still be a fine looking woman at that weight. Some things are about more than what the scale shows.

Stanger, that list of young players that you posted is one of the reasons the Phins could go to another level. There are a few more young guys who could help make that happen too but let’s see who does and who doesn’t. I expect a really competitive TC this year because of the talented youth pushing some of the vets. When you look at our roster, we have really good players in every phase of the game. Now which young guys are going to join the core?

Was Joe Schad’s list rather than mine, but he has a real point. Few older guys these days, but with the exception of Wake…..most are stopgap types. And I include guys like Bushrod, Maxwell and even TImmons in that category. But how it works when you are developing but still want a chance at the playoffs. Nice solid young core though.

I know it wasn’t your list, just talking about the post which I thought was a good topic of conversation. 🙂

For sure it is a great thing we have going. Base of this team is real young and ready to grow. And we locked down some guys in their prime as well while young for the future as well. Reshad is still only 29.

Yep! Love the direction we’re heading in.

What’s cool about drafting Tankersley is we now have 4 big corners which the team seems to prefer. If one or two go down we’re not as thin as last year.
    Howard 6-1 198
    Lippett 6-3 194
    Maxwell 6-1 203
    Tankersley 6-1 200

Then we have a few more guys in the 6-0 190-200 range competing as well in Lucas, Pitts, Hope and McTyer.

think one of those big guys can play nickel?

I think if we play aggressive corner you can lineup good athletes against anyone. We might want to contest the Pats and other teams with size, physicality and peskiness over smaller NB height/weight matchups. Pitts and Lucas are here to push McCain for that role even though they are bigger guys.

Just going by who’s on our roster and how I think we want to play, I see this as a roster breakdown without specific names, we know a majority of them though.
    Offense 25
    OL 9
    TE 4
    WR 6
    QB 2
    RB 4

Defense 25
    DL 9-10
    LB 6-7
    DB 9-10
    (any match of 25)

STs 3
    K, P and LS – I think we know who they will be. 🙂

If you would, please name your OL and DL players. Thanks!

Can’t complete it yet because it’s incomplete at this time. LOL
        As a projection:
        C Pouncey, Larsen (G)
        G Bushrod, Steen (C), Urbik (C/T), Asiata
        T Tunsil, James, Young

7 of the 9 have a year under their belts in Gase’s system. Bushrod already had a year with CHI but moved to RG from LT in MIA, but now has 17 games under his belt there. He will stay at RG and be a ‘break glass emergency LT’ if Young or James can’t do it. Just my opinion.

Remember Pouncey is not going to be active until close to the season, that’s the team plan for him. So someone else is going to be at center from now until Sept. Gase said Mike doesn’t need a lot of practice time, he needs to be healthy. The team is playing it cautious with him.

Definitely written by an outsider who doesn’t quite comprehend the new way of doing things in Miami. We kept our OWN, and we build around that..

Barnwell sure does hate the Phins for some reason. The D+ he gives our offseason is worst in the division. Amazing how in that long write-up he couldn’t even get himself to mention our 2nd and 3rd round picks.

First thing I saw in the link was barnwell…the last thing I saw was barnw…
      That guy is clueless. I think he’s like one of the PFF clones MF was talking about yesterday.

Guess some folks have their own teams that they hate or love, just like we do. Have long thought that Prisco is a closet Dolphins fan on the other side of that.

Wake got #62 on the NFL Network’s Top 100 list. Jay Ajayi chimed in at #69. Suh will be up there……I’m thinking in the 20s, maybe teens — but anyone else? Thinking Landry is the only other one with a shot, maybe in the 50s or 40s.

Suh and Landry will definitely be in there. If Reshad Jones was healthy all season, he’d be in there too

I don’t think Landry would be that high. Lots of WRs put up bigg #s. Suh will be ranked very high imo

You don’t think Landry will be top 50? I think he will He’s tied for most receptions in first 3 years.

118. Phindog says:

Matt Miller @nfldraftscout

Just watched Raekwon McMillan running step-for-step with Saquon Barkley on a wheel route. Should have #Dolphins fans excited.

One play for sure……but wouldn’t it be great if Raekwon had a bit of coverage in him. We know he will help with the Run D already.

That’s his one claim to fame pass coverage play. I think he has it in him to cover, he seemed too worried about where everyone else was supposed to be in college to cover on a regular basis. He’s a good athlete with good speed, and play recognition,no reason he can’t cover.

Who is Saquon Barkley?

Mike E,

Saquon Barkley is the top-rated RB for the ’18 Draft out of PSU. Some feel he could as high as top-5. He’s a STUD.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess Raekwon is Superman then,, or Saquon isn’t a great route runner.

Raekwon won’t be 21 until November. Think about how much more time he has to develop both physically and mentally.

Raekwon, Saquon, Keion, Chidobe, D’Nerius, D’Shahn, Tre’Davious, DeShone, AhKello

Come on man. it is not cute or original to MAKE UP FUCKING NAMES. if you have to put an apostrophe in your kids fucking name, pick another name. Oh, and CAPITAL LETTERS do not go in the middle of your kids name either!

Vent over.

I’m still trying to figure out why Asiata fell to the 5th Round on Draft day. It’s as though all 32 teams (including WIN NOW teams with a need at Guard) know something about him that we, as outsiders, wouldn’t know.

While I’ve hypothesized that he fell due to his relative age after his Mormon mission, I’m not so sure now. I’m not even trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but something seems out of sorts. And I don’t believe the Tony Pauline narrative that his knee(s) are bad… there is ZERO evidence to back his claim and NOBODY else will back his claim but for Omar (<– Pauline's lap dog).

Anyway, I'm not going to 'blow my load' over Asiata until he earns it for our Phins. I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, I'm just taking a wait-and-see approach. If he becomes a stud, HELL YEAH!!! If not, it will explain why he dropped like Wile E. Coyote from a cliff all the way down to the 5th Round.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I'm not sure we've adequately addressed our interior O-Line at the moment. Pouncey is a 'Fragile Fred', I was hoping we'd re-sign Bushrod to become a back-up Swiss Army Knife insurance policy (not a starter), we've got JAGs to back-up Pouncey, a rook who fell to the 5th in Asiata, our back-up Guards are JAGs and IMO, we're not properly prepared for the injuries that ARE looming.

Signing Orlando Franklin changes ALL of that and for the best… IF the price is right. PLUS, Franklin brings POSITIONAL VERSATILITY: he's played RT for 3 years in Denver. Should James go down, Franklin can step right in.

This would be a WIN-WIN move to sign Franklin, IMO, and we can afford him. Simply put… I don't trust a rookie who had a 2nd-3rd grade who dropped to the 5th Round to be our starting LG any more than I'd trust Ted 'Meh' Larson to be our starting LG. And Larson is likely to end up being our starting Center before it's all said and done by season's end… if not sooner.

These are just my opinions. I truly DO trust Gase and company, so I'll roll with their opinions over mine… and that's the first time I've been able to say that in WELL over a decade plus!

GO GASE!!!
    GO PHINS!!!
    HELL YEAH!!!

To be CLEAR… I’m NOT being negative on Asiata, I’m merely skeptical due to his precipitous fall in the Draft. All 32 NFL teams allowed him to free-fall to the 5th Round for a reason… and they know MUCH more than us relative outsiders through their rigorous vetting processes.

GO ASIATA!!!
      GO PHINS!!!
      HELL YEAH!!!

Probably just a numbers game. It happens, teams are all drafting different positions and some guys fall. Also guard isn’t considered a premium position unless a guy has a really high grade and this wasn’t the deepest OL class so maybe teams just went after the premium at other positions first and he was there for us. He was considered a 3-4 rd guy who fell to the 5th and when he fell to us we made that small trade to move up to get him.

Go Asiata!!! 🙂

I think Tim has it right. Forrest Lamp going in the 2nd didn’t make him a lesser player, there were just a lot of other good players in this draft, and I don’t think any of the OL in this draft were blue chippers. Asiata was never a top prospect, maybe a 3rd RD prospect, but he fell to the 5th. I don’t think it’s a big deal. We were interested in the guy, and we may have just gotten lucky we got him so late. If you look at where NFL.com had him rated, everyone else around him was taken in a very similar spot.

As to whether Asiata is good enough to win the starting job remains to be seen, but he has the power, intelligence, maturity, and nasty to take it. We’ll see what happens. I don’t think our staff is nearly as worried about the O-line as we are.

NFL.com had Asiata going 3rd or 4th, so not too far off.

Agreed. I think the team feels with 7 OL returning with a year under their belt in the system they feel good about our guys. If they were very worried about it they would have likely approached it differently.

Gase believes in building the team with our own and not constant change so the team can build chemistry together. Not that we won’t add upgrades in FA or draft obviously, every team does it every year. But he doesn’t want constant turnover.

Asiata will also turn 25 at the end of the year in late December so he’s not too old as a rookie. Not sure that had too much to do with him dropping, maybe just a little bit for some teams.

We all have concerns about Pouncey’s healthy but we also have 6 guys currently on the roster who can play center. So since Pouncey is going to miss most of the offseason because we’re putting him bubble wrap until we get closer to the season, we’ll have figured out who we like as next center up etc. We might even keep 10 OL on the roster early on until we feel a little more comfortable with the situation.

May 16, 2017 at 5:20 pm

…As to whether Asiata is good enough to win the starting job remains to be seen, but he has the power, intelligence, maturity, and nasty to take it…
    ———
    You’ve hit the nail on the head, Mike E… EXACTLY. And THAT is what has me wondering why Asiata fell all the way down to the 5th Round.

Numbers game or not, Asiata has everything one wants at the Guard position. By the way… do ya see how much starting Guards are going for on the open market today? It’s one of the reasons we didn’t acquire Evan Mathis, Orlando Franklin (first time around), Kevin Zeitler, TJ Lang, etc.

VERY CORRECT that the Guard position isn’t a premium position, yet they’re suddenly getting paid ELITE money on the open market (Zeitler is now averaging $12M/per year). Many writes have been made recently regarding Guard position players getting PAID ($$$).

So here’s where I’m going… the ‘Gase-Franklin connection’ from Denver may fetch Franklin — coupled with the fact that Franklin went to the “U” — for a far cheaper price than most other suitors. The price MUST be palatable, but it could happen on the ‘relatively cheap’.

As always… we’ll see! 🙂

That’s for guards who have proven themselves to be good players and durable in the NFL, not rookie prospects. As for Franklin, he hasn’t played well in recent years and I saw some comments from Chargers fans when it was announced he was cut, and most of them were saying good riddance.

Again, with Franklin lining up between King Dunlap and Matt Slauson last year in San Diego, he was never going to have success. Imagine Franklin between Tunsil and Pouncey.

Not sure I’m buying that. What about his own play? Maybe he was the weak link.

With a chance for some immediate impact from a few rooks like our first 4 picks.
      Harris – rotation pass rush specialist early on.
      McMillian – possibly wins a starting job or is in the game day LB rotation.
      Tankersley – I doubt he starts but could push some guys for playing time in sub packages.
      Asiata – could start or provide valuable depth at some point.

Also Ford could be a sleeper and one or both DTs could become part of the DL rotation.

Competition baby!!!! 🙂

I wanted us to draft Franklin. He’s a perfect fit for us. Now we’re going to find out how they really feel about the oline because here’s a perfect fit suddenly on the open market. If they don’t go after him that should be a good indication of how they feel about where we are.

On the other hand maybe Franklin is resting on his laurels looking to skate through a few more years. But if he still “wants it” then he’d be a good pickup.

Son, maybe so with the Chargers revamping. I’m sure Rivers is psyched about that. LOL

I’ve heard rumors that Rivers wants NO PART of moving from SD to LA, dating back to 2 years ago. He’s a family man with like 7 kids, if memory serves. That franchise is a bloody shipwreck, and Rivers wants out.

That, and he’s not adequately protected by his O-Line via the Chargers.

So who do you guys think will be the #1 center while Pouncey is in bubble wrap most of the offseason,TC and the PS?

I’d say Larsen, or Steen, or maybe even Urbik. LOL

So give me your early on starting 5 OL, sans Pouncey?

Tunsil – Franklin – Steen – Bushrod – James

Asiata at Fullback

SpringSteen?

I’d be surprised if Asiata starts. That’s a lot to ask from a fifth rounder. His technique is rough. He’s got plenty to refine and learn how to play with discipline. Can he be the same player while playing under control? We’ll see. I think Larsen has a better shot to start.

Whoa, sum buddy’s beating the drums for Orlando Franklin. 😉

He’d have to come real cheap & willing to earn it on a low risk deal with incentive…IMO.
    He’s been concussed often, got manhandled by defenses for a big guy his size. Bolts moving on for a reason besides strictly saving money.

getter,
    It wouldn’t be the first time! Lol
    ***
    I’ve watched video of Asiata a lot. It’s not great. He’s pretty good if he has a guy playing over him, and he can engage immediately on a quick play. He’s got okay feet…good enough to get some movement, but he misses a lot of his blocks on the second level or on pulls. And, a personal pet peeve of mine, he throws himself at blocks with his head down a lot….which leads to him missing blocks and ending up off balance or on the ground. There’s nothing he can’t work on and improve upon, but he’s got lots of work to do. There are reasons he was a 5th rounder in a pretty weak OL class.

LOL, thanks Randy.

I too saw some raw tendencies with Asiata while watching film, and yes, they’re of the variety that can be taught with NFL coaching. But what I saw that can’t be taught is his strength, physicality, and intelligence.

He was on our board as a target, we could have took another OL before we decided to go get Asiata.
      Players also slide every draft for various reasons, so I don’t buy too much into there are reasons why he specifically fell to the 5th. (Reshad Jones, Zach Thomas).

On the other side of that coin, many a player moves up in the draft as well, and that doesn’t constitute NFL success either.

I see a strong competition coming from Asiata right away. He may not start right away, but he’ll make a strong push for it..

I agree with both of you. 5th rd picks all have warts and potential. Competition weeds it out.

I don’t care what round a guy was taken in. If he’s good enough to play, he should play. He might be good enough. Not sure the guys we have right now will be that much better.

Some guys transition to the NFL better…..some are in the wrong system or used improperly in college just like we see happen in the Pros.
      That’s why we are starting to see success with Gase, Grier, and the rest of the personnel dept on the same page with an executable plan they want for this franchise to move fwd..

Gase already said, status is not a factor, performance is. If you’re not playing up to standards you’re out. That’s how he dug this team out of a 1-4 start to finish 10-6 and make the playoffs. The best guys he had played. There was no well… we drafted him in the 3rd or 4th a year ago. He doesn’t care about that. The best 53 will make the team.

Right, and as mentioned many times, he & his coaches are getting and keeping “their guys” they want. Guys that are buying all in, going all out, & love the game.

QB Sandwiches. EarthWAKE!

GD, if the OL is solid, our offense could be dominant. We have playmakers in all phases.

I know the goal on offense is to have more plays than last in the league. Amazing! LOL

Tru Dat! ….and along with those low # of offensive plays came an abysmal defense, and we still WON 10 games and made the Playoffs.
      Imagine any bit of improvement on both sides of the ball in Year 2 of Gase’s Go Getter Dolphins!
      We could become a real force in the AFC!

Now don’t get crazy, we’re Dolfans, we’re not allowed such things. LOL

That’s Gase’s goal, score often on offense and attack on defense against one dimensional offenses. Gee… what a concept. At least he gets it. 🙂

Part of the reason we had such few plays on O was, because the D couldn’t get off the field.

MF, one thing you didn’t take into account, with your concerns with Asiata is we traded up. That tells me we had a higher grade than a 5th on him.

Steve, Gase blames the offense and himself for keeping the defense out there too long. But it was definitely a balance of the two. Let’s hope it gets better sooner than later. 🙂

Christensen did the same thing, both not throwing the D under the bus. The O needs to pick it up too, but the problem was mainly on D, and why the draft was expected to be D heavy and was.

TIM: AGREE with your “Don’t get crazy, we’re Dolfans” approach. I share Mike E’s sense of caution re: the O-Line. When they SHOW ME on the field, I’ll become a believer. UNTIL THEN, “wait and see” is my point of view. But THAT’S A DAMN SIGHT BETTER THAN THE IRELAND YEARS, isn’t it?

Randy, on your concerns or weaknesses of Asiata, we know he isn’t polished and needs to clean things up, but the reason we’re excited to have him is, because of his mauling ability. Something we haven’t seen since Nails was blocking for Ricky.

146. jetsssuck says:

Anyone think the fins offense is resembling what the pats offense does.. I have seen several off players practicing at american heritage plays that create space for wr and qb to connect with these crazy 3 bunched receiver sets. These are precision timing plays where CB’s can’t defend and very quick. These plays don’t require great OL it only requires the OL to block 1.75-2.5 seconds. NE passes first and that creates their running game. We have basically the same players except ours are very young entering their prime.

I think that was kinda of what Gase had in mind until the new found power game sorta stumbled in there last season. Might be we end up back that way, even if think the run part is hear as a staple rather than an add on so long as Ajayi is healthy.

The biggest difference is Brady has IT and knows what to do in key situations. RT will get it someday and when he does we may be a perennial playoff contender, until he does we’ll just be an after thought.

Our offense was pathetic on third downs. And, they weren’t exactly great on first and second downs either. That’s why we couldn’t stay on the field. It wasn’t the D’s fault. Our offense needs to get a lot more efficient. They put our D in bad situations a lot last year.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

We need to run the ball with more consistency. The game we ran the ball well the defense played better as well. I’m not sure if Ajayi is the answer either. He played well in some games with a lot of power and some games he was pretty average. Maybe it was the oline those games but it seems like its also an issue of consistency with Ajayi.

Ajayi balled last year, he was at the top for yards after first contact, so the games he didn’t do we’ll I’d have to put that on the OL, but that’s without breaking it down further by watching each game again.

D was nothing special last year though, especially against the run…….and that let other teams run the clock. Even if get on O too…..am really hoping having a seam threat TE is going to open up our options. And that includes not just throwing to Thomas.

• dbolt48 says:

Thomas auisition might make Fasano & Gray very valuable on 3rd & mid/short.

And Landry and whatever RB we have too. Stills can flat out bust the top of the coverage. Parker and Thomas can both stretch them out too, even if it is more a height with some speed thing. Might a lot more opportunities in the middle.

Always like both Mikes, but guess every good thing has to come to an end.
    ———————————
    “ESPN Radio’s “Mike & Mike” are going their separate ways.

The network announced Tuesday that Mike Greenberg would be leaving the longtime morning radio show he co-hosts with Mike Golic to host a new morning TV show on ESPN TV that will premier Jan. 1. Golic will stay in the morning radio spot and will be joined by a new partner in the network’s NFL host Trey Wingo.”

Greenie is a douche, very unprofessional with his letting everyone know he’s a jets fan.

I have no problem with people saying what team they are a fan of. I let it known all the time and in many a shirt.

149. dbolt48 says:

Randy,
    2 fold response….yes agree the O needs to be more consistent w/ ball control. The D has to be accountable for their own shortcomings also…there were plenty.

Response 2: In regards to Asiata, I mentioned the same concern in regards to dropping his head to bull charge on the second level which allowed defenders to side step him easily to make the play. His Washington game is the perfect game to watch to see what happens when he does the bull charge, but also when he does things properly. I think body/head consistency is what the coaching staff will really need to work with him on. The good thing is it is a easily coachable item, but can he break the habit?

I’m not real concerned with what Asiata does at the 2nd level, if he can open holes in the run game and not be a liability in pass pro he’ll be very good for us. He was drafted in the 5th, no one expects him to be All Pro out of the gate, some of these evals on him are crazy.

I know some are just pointing out some weaknesses, but wht worry about fine tuning before the basics?

• dbolt48 says:

In regards to the bull charge it screws the run game when he pulls, but like I said it’s coachable.

steve,
    Asiata sucks at some of the most basic technique issues. Head up, staying above your base, not lunging forward, not reaching for blocks, moving your feet and not your upper body, getting to the second level under control….not just running out there and trying to grab a guy. These are all things you’re taught from day one in junior high, and it’s concerning that Asiata struggles with these basics. Just because he’s a mauler isn’t much to hang your hat on. Every player with bad technique tends to be a mauler because that’s the easy, lazy way to play, and it shows a lack of discipline.

So what you’re saying is we drafted him because he sucks. LOL

Its a bottom line issue, can he help us out more than Larsen? Again all these things you’ve mentioned are bonus traits. We need 2 yards on 3rd Down, can he get enough push for a 1st vs he’s pulling and the RB only gets 5 yards instead of 7 on 1st down.

What traits do we need from him for the O to succeed? If he can’t pull, run a different play or have someone else pull

Randy

Stop picking on Asiata, I just called him, he’s waiting outside your door, head down and all

I could do the same things with Raekwon, which I did before and right after the draft, but then I looked at the things he could do that are positives and why he might have done some things I didn’t like. Big Pappi sucks, because he can’t run the bases or Olay D, would be the comparison.

Play D, he does Olay D😉

On Barnwells report about our off-season, the D grade was BS, but the assessment was pretty accurate. Sometimes you have to pay, and we most likely paid too much for guys like Branch and Stills, but every team overpays, better to overoay your own, and keep moral high.

155. jetsssuck says:

————————————————————–
    It helps brady that he has played in the same system for lots of years. I heard some former players say he can throw some plays blindfolded and connect on it the majority of times.

It helps that he has Belicheat, but he had IT, when they won their first SB. Anyone see Brady’s wife worrying about his concussions that he didn’t disclose?

Too funny reading these so called expert and draft grades. not only for the Phins, but all around the league….LOL & SMH!

MikeE,
    I’ll be good because when he runs at me he’ll miss! Unfortunately, my knees gave up running years ago, so once he looks up I’m screwed. Lol

What has Harris already learned in meetings with coaches and players about the approach they want to take as a defensive unit in 2017?

“Aggressive,” Harris said. “It’s something that I’m used to playing to. At Missouri, it’s an attack football defense. And it’s something I look forward to already.”

Rookie defensive tackle Vincent Taylor said veterans Jordan Phillips and Julius Warmsley have been helping him.

What has Taylor learned about Miami’s approach to defense?

“They’re strictly about business,” he said.

Count me as part of the “GO ASIATA!!!” crowd: I like his potential and intangibles, though he’s got work to do regarding his technique. I believe he can be coached out of his bad tendencies and could become a dominant force in a relatively short amount of time. Asiata is extremely football intelligent, motivated, experienced, brutally strong, and incredibly athletic for a kid his build.

But back to my original post yesterday… WHY did 32 teams allow him to fall to the 5th Round when most (supposedly) had him graded anywhere from the 2nd-4th Round? And Tim, I’m not dismissing your point on a “numbers game”, but I’m not feeling that either, man.

IMO, Asiata is a freak athlete to OG as Jordan Phillips is a freak athlete to DT… and Phillips still went in the 2nd Round to us in 2015, despite rumors of being lazy and taking plays off.

ONCE AGAIN, I’m NOT trying to look a gift horse in the mouth (HAPPY WE LANDED ASIATA!!!), but I feel like I’m missing something here on him. I mean, did all 32 teams suddenly believe Tony Pauline’s story of knee problems when there seems to be NOTHING on record regarding as much? Does Pauline have THAT much clout and/or is he a private investigator? I SERIOUSLY doubt as much.

I’m NOT trying to stir the pot or dig for dirt… I’m just VERY CURIOUS. SOMETHING made Asiata drop, and I’m not so sure it’s a problem with coachable techniques/fundamentals, just sayin’.

My take? Our interior O-Line is not yet solved with the 5th Round drafting of Asiata and the FA signings of Ted Larson and Kraig Urbik… and I think OLD DOLFAN would agree.

At least our options are growing… we’ve got Orlando Franklin and Nick Mangold out there for the taking. There should be a few more options as this process continues to play out…

As always, JUST MY OPINION! 🙂

Spencer Drango 5th Rd in 2016
    Shaq Mason, Max Garcia & Mark Glowinkowski late 4th in 2015
    The list goes on of good OL picked later in the draft.
    The list also goes on full of OL picked early that are flops or still struggling.

We have to trust our personnel men & coaches on this. They felt fairly secure enough going with their board and apparently no other OL excited them enough early on vs other positions/players that they had ranked higher at the time.

Time will tell.

LOL @ Randy!

I wonder how Barwell grades Espn’s offseason

RIP Chris Cornell. One of my favorite bands of the 90s.