Gameday – Week 9, Raiders @ Dolphins

maxresdefault

Screenshot-2017-11-5 Watch Oakland Raiders vs Miami Dolphins [11 05 2017] - NFL com

As we can all gather, those stats up there don’t mean an awful lot, because today Dolphins fans, we will see a glimpse of what out NEW offense will be, without Jay Ajayi.  Who will get the heavy workload, Drake or Williams?  Will it be a RB by committee approach instead, with Drake, Williams, Perry and Smith?  It’s not really important how they go about it, as long as it works, and our running game is effective.  Like I said in my game preview, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us use our backs much like the Falcons do, with Drake as Devonta Freeman, and Williams as Tevin Coleman.

Cutler is back with his cracked ribs, and we have to do a damn good job of protecting him, or the rest of the season will be Matt Moore and David Fales.  Ted Larsen will be active for this game, but LG Jesse Davis will get the start.

Enjoy the game, and all the other NFL games today as we’re the Headliner tonight.  I hope you remembered to set your clock back, or else you may be a little early for the start of today’s games.

GO DOLPHINS!

970 Responses to Gameday – Week 9, Raiders @ Dolphins

Regardless of what happens it doesn’t do us any good to not move past the Ajayi trade.

I was a little let down by the defense last night. They just couldn’t get off the field especially on third and long. We just weren’t getting pressure and guys were running wide open beyond the first down marker.
    Four score1 and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
    Now we are engaged in a great civil war2, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
    But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate3 —we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain4— that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Maybe he will appeal and have it held off for a game?
    Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 3h3 hours ago
    Bucs WR Mike Evans suspended one game for violations of unnecessary roughness. He can appeal.

4. Piggy,
    That offensive output is great but, again, we lost and it’s an unsustainable scheme. We try that against CAR, NE, BUF an KC and we’re getting blown out.

One game does not mean that’s how it will be played every week. I think it was promising in a game where the RB position changed, and Cutler and Parker were back from injury. It’s not like we were rolling along and we destroyed our juggernaut offense.

• I agree. It doesn’t mean we will use that scheme every week. However, we showed no signs of life in the run game. One long run that we could have just gotten lucky on means nothing.

One game doesn’t mean much. String some good offensive performances together and then maybe they’ve got something. However, just like when Big Dan took over and the team came out all hyped up I think this was a game where the players came out because they “got the message” from Gase and it will be a short-lived thing again.

Just like we need to move past the Ajayi trade, last year is ancient history. That 10-6 record from 2016 means nothing. It’s 2017. When you get blown out in 3 out of your 4 losses you show what you really are. A poor offense. They can bring it from time to time and put up somewhat of a fight and make things interesting for a game here and there but they can’t sustain anything.

I’m resigned to the fact that this season is a done deal and have started looking forward to the offseason, FA and the draft. 6-10 sounds about right at this time

Got up at 5:20 AM to walk the dogs and get ready to take Mrs. OD to a very early appt. at the Laser Spine Surgery building. Spent most of the day there. After several x-rays of her lumbar region plus an MRI, the doctors concluded that my wife needed a cortisone shot in her lumbar region tomorrow. The HOPE is, like me, the shot will at least temporarily do away with the need for further surgery. We should know in about a week or so if the shot did the trick (or NOT)! After five total surgeries in the last 9-10 years, this lovely lady DESERVES A BREAK!!! We’re all hoping she gets a break this time.
    ————-
    SAW only the first half of the game last night. Didn’t see any highlights art all until a couple of hours ago. LIKED a lot of what I saw, especially with the offense. Give us just a middle of the road O-Line, and these guys could be in the playoffs. Sadly, the current O-Line is far worse than a middle of the road offensive line. They’re near dead last!!! Best of all, if Cutler and the offense continue to perform at a high level, we’ll have a shot in almost every game we play the rest of the season!!
    ————-
    NOTRE DAME PLAYERS predicting decisive win over the ‘Canes Saturday Night. DON”T the biting Irish know that MIAMI INVENTED SWAGGER??? HARD ROCK STADIUM WILL BE ROARING!!!!!! Wake Forest rang up 37 points on the Notre Dame defense. How many points will the ‘Canes ring up???

This is a lost season.

I wouldn’t say lost but we do need to use our Maps app and get back on course.

8. Panthers D is giving up 17.7 ppg. 2nd vs rush with 78 yds per game. #1 overall. This is going to end badly.

The one player who really has shown me something this year is Parker. It would be nice if he could stay on the field, but he has shown some really good stuff. How’s that for a technical evaluation? Lol
    ****
    I don’t care how we do it, but we need to find ways to get him involved in the offense. I don’t care if defenses are playing 2 deep safeties. Figure it out. That’s Gase’s job.

They have, Parker has missed 3 games.

We’re in an “okay this is who we are right now” mode. What do the players think they are? That’s how things change. Players being good players and making plays. Schemes and game plans are secondary. Players win games.

I thought we were going to take over that game after the on side kick. Then we fumbled and they go down and score

Ken says:
    November 6, 2017 at 2:21 pm
    ORob:
    It wasn’t a lack of running why we lost last night. It was too many penalties and the fumble. The penalties and the fumble essentially negated 2 scores.
    _____________________________________________
    I think it was a lack of controlling the LOS with a solid run game is why we lost. you have a controlled running game it gets you into reasonable 3rd down situation, when you run for negative yardage you get in long down and distance. then your Defense has to be on the field way too long. we lost TOP bigtime, it only became close late due to garbage time with raiders up 2 scores

I’m not going to predict the 2nd half of the season nor am I arguing that we’re a not a very good team or denying we’ve been bad on offense for most of the season. I’m just watching like the rest of you. I hope for the best and deal with the reality. The team needs work at 4-4. We’ll see if they can put it together. If not, you try again next year like many teams do every year.

son,
    We’re talking to Wilson and wondering how it might feel to fondle another ball we’re so lost! Lol

14. Here’s some perspective. The Browns are 0-8, yet best the Dolphins as an offense in every offensive category, including touchdowns. The Browns have scored 14; Miami 13. Now that is pitiful.

Well shit?
    If the Fins are done playing this year lets move on!

Predictions are for pussies anyway. Lol

19. There’s only a 20 pt differential between the Browns and the Dolphins on the season. Yet, one team is 4-4 and the other is 0-8.

It’s always about the players. But, it’s up to the offensive coordinator to put players in positions to make plays and utilize their talents. Gase’s job is to figure out how to beat what defenses are doing to us. So far, he’s not getting it done. Just because teams play 2 deep safeties doesn’t mean we never throw deep…or even intermediate passes. How easy would it be to defend us if that were the case? Oh wait! Lol

Didn’t I just say the same thing? LOL

“Coaches have to find what players do best and utilize their skills. Then it’s up to the players and how good they are.”

A man owned a small ranch near Great Falls, Montana. The Montana Labor Department got a tip that he was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an investigator out to interview him.
    “I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them,” demanded the investigator.

“Well,” replied the rancher, “there’s my ranch hand who’s been with me for 3 years. I pay him $1200 a week plus free room and board.”

“The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $1000 per week plus free room and board.”

“Then there’s the half-wit. He works about 18 hours every day, with no days off, and does about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week and pays his own room and board.”

“But, I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night, and he also sleeps with my wife occasionally.”

“That’s the guy I want to talk to… the half-wit,” says the investigator.

“You’re talking to him,” replied the rancher.

24. Here’s another dose of reality. The lowest a Joe Philbin offense averaged in ppg was 18 in his first season. This O is averaging just 14.4 ppg

We all know this. That’s what happens when you get shut out twice and basically another game scoring a TD (6) as the game ends. These stats mean nothing to me because we’re well aware. The offense has been bad most of the year. The defense okay to good. STs I’d say average. 4-4 almost seems lucky.

• you’re right. 4-4 does seem lucky and that’s why I keep saying it’s unsustainable. the defense has kept them in games. there’s going to come a point in time where the D just doesn’t have it in them anymore to do that because the offense isn’t moving the ball.

just gotta be realistic about where this season is going to go from here.

Son

When you said “Am I supposed to know who they are” I thought you were talking about her hooters

If the offense improves and can at least be competitive most weeks – scoring in the 20 or better point range, and the defense ups their game to another level, we have a chance to make the playoffs. If the offense continues to be bad to okay, and the defense wears down as a result of it, we’ll be 8-8 at best. STs could play a factor but I’m not seeing it there either yet.

ORob:

————————–
    Actually, TOP was pretty even all game. They had an edge after the 1st, we had an edge at the half, we had an edge after the 3rd, then they finished the 4th slightly ahead – 30:56 to 29:04.

We held the ball for chunks of time a good portion of the game and would have dominated TOP if our defense could have gotten off the field on 3rd down. They gave up 53%, and a number of them were 3rd and long.

I hate this dink and dunk west coast offense, but what it does do is turn run plays into short passes. So we only ran it 18 times, but we had quite a few designed ‘dump offs’ to the RB that are basically runs.

• ocalarob says:

We had the ball most of the 4th qtr trying to play catch up from what i saw. football is a brutal sport and IMO the way to win is to be more brutal than your opposition. that starts up front with a power running game and a dominant OL, i saw glimpses of it with Ajayi but that’s gone, Williams seems to take short strides, doesn’t hit the hole with force, tries to somehow partially finesse his way. I don’t think Drake has the stature to be a bread and butter back he’s more of an open space guy. anyway you cut it this team took a huge step back for a 4th round pick.

We’re Toast! the season is over.

Those passes to Drake and Williams, I always look at them as part of the ball control/running game. Does it really matter how you get it into their hands if it’s effective?

Drake 15-104
        Williams 13-61 1TD

Loved the Gray FB dive for 3 and a 1st down.

If I had to call guys out based on last night, we need more big plays from Landry and Stills. Yes Landry caught a TD but 6-32 receiving? Stills is kind of questionable with what he’s being paid and Landry is not earning this crazy contract people keep talking about. Those two guys along with Parker and Thomas can change the whole dynamic of the offense. It’s time to do it, not just imagine it.

• ocalarob says:

yes it does tim, you have to continually pass to make progress what happens when that little dump off to the back isn’t there? then he has to locate a 2nd target and maybe get sacked. a pass is a pass.

I have a football philosophy to establish a strong running game first and foremost, it’s just my opinion that this is a requirement and recipe for playing winning football.

I’m starting to wonder if gase doesn’t think he needs a running game? he has made statements last year telling everyone to remind him not to go away from running Ajayi, why would he need to be reminded of that? maybe because he’s a pass happy coach like bill lazor was and we all know how that worked

we don’t have a running game and until we do we can not contend

28. “Gotta tell ya, I’m so fucking high right now and I’m having the best game of my life”

We seem to forget that we lost our starting QB in camp and regardless of what you think of him, it has a domino effect. The team has to adjust because that was the initial plan. We also lost 4 OL along the way. Larsen (the projected starter at LG – again regardless of what you think of him) on the 8 week IR, backup C/G Urbik who was the #2 C and game day depth for the interior, for the season, T/G Eric Smith who the team liked, for the season, and last week Steen for the season. Then we traded Ajayi because we wanted to move on. Debate it all you want. It’s over.

The team did address the OL, just not through the draft other than Asiata in the 5th. Let’s not act like they ignored it. Even after all of that, we had a chance to win last night and be 5-3. So 4-4 it is.

• ocalarob says:

you have 3 #1 picks on the OL, i’m not sure any team has that many 1st rounders,

I don’t think draft status means much other than three different GMs taking OL in the 1st rd.
        2011 – Pouncey (Ireland)
        2014 – James (Hickey)
        2016 – Tunsil (Grier = org)

So losing 4 OL who were in the mix has no impact because at least we have three 1st rd picks on the OL? It doesn’t work that way. I thought the OL looked pretty good last night. They are not why we lost even though we’re going through the depth chart.

• ocalarob says:

maybe the white powder and rolled up $20 has something to do with the lack of effort

when you are able to power the ball up the middle for 4 & 5 yard spurts, it brings up the LB’s to try to stop it and opens up the field, it gets you in reasonable down and distance to convert 3rd downs and keeps your D off the field.
    If i’m the DC playing against Miami i’m going to back off my LBs, play Nickel and take away Cutler, i’m going to make Miami try to beat me with their running game at this point as i don’t respect their running game.

I’m sure that’s what the hoodie will do

I would too. Teams did that with Ajayi here as well. The OAK game was the first without Ajayi and we had more yards than in any other game losing 27-24. Not being shutout. So where are you going with this and I’m not being divisive ORob? We were worse with Ajayi as the bell cow in most games.

That’s coming from someone who was a big fan of Ajayi. He was my avatar. LOL

• ocalarob says:

I don’t care what the name of the rb is Tim we need a power back, i fear we’re slipping back into the cinderella offense we had with lazor, not the run first offense we had last year with Ajayi gaining over 1200 yards

Rob,

They possessed the ball more in the 4th quarter. It may not have seemed that way to ya, but thems the numbers. The idea our defensive performance correlates to unbalanced TOP is just wrong.

Believing you need a power run game and dominant OL is your opinion, and I agree you can win that way, but it’s not like we had a dominant OL with Ajayi. Nobody will disagree that our run blocking sucks. We need to address the OL this offseason. If Williams and Drake aren’t the answer we’ll know by the end of the season and add a bigger back in the off season too.

I agree that Williams dances and hesitates too much and to me Drake looks really unpolished, but they’ll get a lot of touches if they stay healthy so we’ll see what they are.

• ocalarob says:

Ajayi had 1200+ yards last year, we had a dominant running game that led us to the playoffs, we wont have a 1000 yard rusher this year and IMO that means we are doomed

One thing we agree on is that this season is done, but I knew that when Tanny went down. It was fun to somehow be 4-3 with a historically bad offense, but reality set in and I think the rest of the season is going to be brutal.

Drake and Williams combined touches for 28-165 1TD as part of the ball control game. Landry and Stills 9-60 1TD. Thomas and Parker 11-160 1TD.

Let’s see where we go from here. Maybe it gets good. 🙂

as for the OL tim i seen pouncey avoid defenders run blocking, if i’m the OL coach and i see my RB get lit up when my center avoids a block i get him off the field. i’ve seen other OL do the same thing, piggy played a video just recently exposing that. WTF is the coach doing, why isn’t he kicking these guys in the ass? it’s almost like this team is just going thru the motions and doesn’t reall care if they win or lose.

We lost 27-24 with multiple chances to take this game but shot ourselves in the foot. I feel like some of the comments are directed at the 40-0 Ravens loss. Our offense is nothing like it was drawn up in the offseason. Add it up and think about it. You can say excuses but there are reasons for happenings. This is not the team we talked about in July.

You want to post stats, post IR and released/injured as well. Talent matters or FA and the draft shouldn’t, right? 😉

• Tim,
      You’re throwing out names of players we lost like they would have made a difference. First, Larsen never played a down for us so we don’t know if he would have made a difference to this point. That’s yet to be seen. Then everyone’s favorite whipping boy Steen was just recently placed on I/R so he WAS playing and, apparently, wasn’t being that effective since they kept rotating between he and Davis.

Urbik is a complete panty waste so where are YOU going with this? You’re talking like these guys are all pros and like we’ve had any consistency with them in the lineup before.

35. I agree with O Rob. You look at our remaining schedule and someone please tell me how in the hell we’re going to win more of them than we lose if we can’t run the ball.

If we pass as much in the next game as we did in the last game Cutler may be out for the season. Plus, give some defensive coordinators credit. Miami surprised Oakland with it’s game plan because they hadn’t done any of this all year. There’s zero tape on Drake and Williams so they had nothing to go on. Now the cat’s out of the bag.

You’d need to be able to pass protect like New England has done over the years for Brady in order to get it done and it’s not happening with this offensive line.

Maybe we can make an impact in FA and the draft next year but this season is pretty much over. And, we better draft a franchise quarterback to go along with our new rb and o-linemen.

36. CAR – loss
    TB – win
    NE- loss
    DEN – win
    NE – loss
    BUF – loss
    KC – loss
    BUF – loss

37. ukfinfan says:

Here’s my twopennorth worth (or $0.02 in your vernacular), “D-style”

I loved the Jaytrain. He was born here. and even though he supported Arsenal, he was a big boost for all fans of the Dolphins (but especially here).

The positives.
    I read somewhere that he had most yards after contact of backs having rushed over 200 times (or some such number). He was all guts and when he broke one it was a massive buzz after a largely anaemic rushing attack since Ricky was a stud. He potentially gave our O two dimensions. He had pro-bowl credentials.

The negatives.
    We’ve all heard all the rumours about the problems he caused, but one thing was sure – Gase did have to tailor the O to his strengths “dumb it down” and when those strengths turned out to be our weakness, something had to give. JA didn’t train at every session and I’m sure that this played into the Fins taking a change in direction. Not seen this vid posted on here but apologies if it has been already.

Our O was what our record and stats showed it to be and I agree with AG – change was needed. We lost vs the Raidaz. But we did compete. We did so by being less predictable. We took the underneath stuff which was there and maybe that will lead to taking shots down the field soon. How many times have we all as fans sat there criticising what we have watched and asked for in-game adjustments. Well, AG has made an “in-season” adjustment, and for me, it worked. It shook things up and we had a glimpse of what might be. Not saying we will achieve anything this year (including the play-offs) but in Gase I still trust. He overhauled the D and made them more than competitive. We need the same on O this coming off-season and when we have our starting QB back, we will hopefully be able to field a much better balanced team which might just be able to play a full and complementary game. Despite fantasy football (which I have no interest in whatsoever) this is still a team sport. The Jaytrain was an impact player and a pleasure to watch at his best, but he didn’t fit in our team this year and wasn’t productive. I’ll take a 4th round pick next year and players who do their job thanks. It’s what made the Pats a dynasty and it might just work for us in the longer term, when Gase finally has the team he wants.

My prediction is 6-2 in the last 8

Oink off

This season was behind the 8-ball before the season began and I’m not talking about the o-line coach. Some of you are talking like this season has had any normalcy to it and the team just needs to pull up it’s bootstraps and all will be fine. Stop lamenting Ajayi. We didn’t go 10-6 because of him last year. We won 10 games because of everyone contributing one way or another. Different people stepped up at different times. It wasn’t just handing Ajayi the ball and everything fell into place. He was incredibly inconsistent last year, but people tend to forget that in favor of his highlight reel.
    Gase has his flaws. His team has been consistently undisciplined. Penalties are out of control. He seems weak on game planning which could explain why we always start slow. Although, Burke has been a pleasant surprise, Gase’s coaching staff has always worried me. Gase is usually good at making adjustments during the game and if we are close at the end of the game, I never feel like this team is out of it. Even when we’ve been down 14 in the fourth. Something was in the locker room last year that was never say die and there’s a remnant of it this year. That’s why we are 4-3 and not 0-8 despite having similar scoring stats to Cleveland. I’m not ready to write the guy off yet.

40. Well now that JTrains in Philly, the NFL should send them to London instead of us.
    we have enough adversity in Miami without adding international travel to the mix.

best wishes and prayers to the families in Texas , this never should have happened if the Air Force would have reported his criminal convictions to police as required by law. The air force screwed up on this one.
    laws have to be completely reviewed in light of all the white male murderous attacks IMO.

If You die from a white Man or a Muslim man, You are dead both ways.
    There is no excuse other than cowardice combined with corruption to blindly allow innocents to be slaughtered, and do nothing about it.
    We need strong and effective leadership to keep this country safe from White male gun criminals.

41. I dont think we would have won yesterday if Ajayi was here, our defense failed to play well and allowed Oak to control the clock.
    The Drake fumble certainly contributed to the loss though, he’s just gotta move on and hang on tighter next time.

SB – I’ve mentioned that about Ajayi so many times, even last season. He was incredibly inconsistent. For the most part, he either had a monster game, or was invisible, there wasn’t much medium ground there. I think we tried our best to stay competitive by picking up Cutler, and you saw how better protection and Parker in the lineup, and the 2 backs catching passes made Cutler look so much better.

I also agree that Gase seems like a better in game manager, who can adjust accordingly during the game, but I think it’s a very fair to question his game planning. Our team has looked unprepared and lost in the first half of almost every game, so that’s something Gase really needs to work on.

43. Next years draft needs
    QB, franchise leader
    OG/C, position versatile, physical and hungry
    OT, can play either side
    RB, physical and powerful runner, who can also pass block and catch
    CB, excellent press cover guy , with closing speed and aggressive ball hawk skills
    Backup LB and ST ace, always need them in late picks

penalties had nothing to do with the raiders loss, we both had the same penalties for the same amount of yards lost so they cancel each other out, some are making it seem we lost a squeaker, we got our asses kicked, we were down 2 scores until a minute left in the game.
    I get it, let’s minimize Ajayi’s effect on the game because he’s no longer here, the 1200 yards Ajayi gained last year had nothing to do with our 10-6 record LOL!
    I was hesitant at first because i thought Gase had a replacement for Ajayi, after seeing the Raiders game I’ve come to the conclusion that Gase doesn’t get it, how can you send your only hope of competing to philly when you have no one to replace him? i believe he thinks he can just drop back every time and pass his way to the superbowl. WONT HAPPEN

Another year down the drain, I can’t wait for the draft, we will draft a savior and next year is our year! LOL
    I can’t wait to chase our tail again!!!

we need an experienced winning coach to come here and show us the light, a harbaugh, a coughlin someone in that order, hiring these HC’s with no experience is a waste of time

Q-how did Harbaugh make SF relevant?

A- a strong running game

it’s not rocket science

Rob – How many times did Ajayi get 100 or more yards this season for us? How many games did Drake play, and how many 100 yard games did he give us? The answers are . . .

AJAYI – 2
    DRAKE – 1, 1

• ocalarob says:

you have to play the whole season to evaluate a player Mike, last year Ajayi started slow, and it’s really not about his production and more of his potential production and what opposing teams have to do to stop that potential prduction.

Do you think they have to game plan for Drake the same as Ajayi?

49. ElephantRider says:

If Ajayi was the team’s only hope then the season was over before it started.

SB7 I agree.

Drake is better as doing these things, he is really good burst acceleration so he can jump cut and then blow past people, he halso has return man kills so he finds lanes as he goes with a good field of vision. Its hard to compare them because they are different style runners, but both can be elite level running backs in their system.

Imo, Ajayi, just tried too hard to make things happen, and it sounds like from some of the griping he was doing when they were having their coach-player meetings that he had personal motivations for that and not team first motivations. I promise you, even with the OL issues, which cant be denied, Ajayi could have had 50+ years a game, with the same number of carries, on the same plays, blocked exactly the same way if he had committed to hitting the lanes he was supposed to. He has too much power to be denied at least positive yards is he just plows through the hole that the play was designed for. When he started trying to jump cut or reverse the field, or bounce i outside he went away from his strength.

If Drake continues to grow as a player, he is a better back for this system than Ajayi. He is a better blocker, he is a WAY better receiver, and he has good ability to take screens the distance. He is much closer to what Forte is, where as Ajayi is more Lynch. With Drake, if we could just get a TE who would be a really good hybrid receiver/blocker, like a Bennett or out of this upcoming draft i like Hurst from SC the best for us, we woukld have the offensive players i thin that could make us click.

Ajayi could have fit our system, though i don’t really know if he ever would have had the receiving ability to be the best fit for us. The combination of him not doing his assignment, making it clear he had a my stats first mentality, and the fact he wouldn’t commit to the coaches system made him expendable. As far as im concerned, moving on is not only necessary (because its over its not going to get reversed), but its also healthier for our team. Ajayi wasn’t one of those once in a decade backs, despite being probably better than the average player you can get out of the middle of the draft.

UK,
    We wore sunglasses to try and go incognito. I’m surprised you recognized us. 😉

when a team loses their starting QB for the season before it even starts means the season is probably lost. The packers are done. The dolphins are close to being done as well. I think we win a few more games but I doubt we’ll be in the thick of things in december

I’m sure Drake is a good back, my evaluation has nothing to do with tearing down Drake but he need space, if you want to compare Ajayi to Drake Ajayi is much better between the Tackles and that’s why Ajayi was starting over Drake, Drake came in in passing situations along with Williams

• BoulderPhinfan says:

the fumble sucked.

• ocalarob says:

great onside kick, looked as if they practiced that, it keeps teams honest, instead of the front line running back and blocking for the return guy now they have to make sure we actually kick it, all for not due to the fumble!

We took a huge step back dumping Ajayi, I can’t believe some around here cant see that.

and even worse what does this say about Gase?
    does he think we can win by simply passing the ball?
    is 18 rushes for 80 yards good for him?

this is not a winning football philosophy

That’s a better YPC average than Ajayi had this season. I also don’t think every game plan will be the same as this week was.

Rob

I think Drake poses more problems for other teams, and we’re going to see that. Ajayi really wasn’t a between the tackles runner like you said he was, he was bouncing everything to the outside, which is why Gase traded him, he wasn’t going where he was supposed to. I don’t think Drake is a as powerful a runner, he can’t break tackles like Ajayi, but he has more speed, and seems like a much better receiver.

I think Ajayi made us too one dimenional

Agreed…..and D brought that out well too. Ajayi couldn’t run outside much on designed runs and didn’t catch or run routes well. And seems Gase wants free flowing flexibility. He’s better off in more of a power run game like Riggins was. Don’t think it a coincidence that the Eagles both signed Blount and traded for the J-train.

• ocalarob says:

ajayi is a strong RB, He’s a tough nut to bring down, regardless of his Stats this year you have to game plan for that, going by stats of an incomplete season does not tell the story, refer to 2016 pro bowl year, i’m sure that’s what opposing teams do to prepare for him, that’s no longer an issue since he’s gone

• dbolt48 says:

Mike,
      Just to kind of backup your point, during training camp during one of his pressers Gase said one of the compromises he had to make w/ Ajayi as his lead back was he had to go away from his preferred inside zone run scheme and switch up to an outside run scheme to make Ajayi comfortable. That outside scheme would’ve been a little more successful if Ajayi was running the read option w/ Tannehill who kept backside defenders honest.

I think Jay will have success in Philly due to that OL being as good as they are. I do question his long term health though after watching his TD run last week.

On another note on the Dan Patrick show following the trade another teams GM said the friction between Miami and Ajayi got bad This off season because he wanted an extension and was rebuffed by Miami due to their concerns on his knee.

Reading over all the great comments…..man so many people since last checked the board turned more D than D (not that he didn’t try to play catch up). 🙂

I bet Drake will break some runs no doubt but when you run up the middle with a light ass on 1st down and for the most part gain nothing you put your team in bad down and distance to get the first. this is key because 1st downs matter, it keeps your D on the side line and your opposing Offense cant score because they don’t have the ball, i’m not saying Drake and Williams cant get up the field on 1st but you want that back who’s trying to get up the field to have the potential to be able to break DL tackles and as of now we don’t possess that back.

we would be better off using gray as a full back blocking for drake/williams or carry the ball himself

Ajayi sucked we now have drake, my how the skies have cleared!!!

Who said Ajayi sucked? Most folks are more concentrating on what we will be doing going forward with our new two backs. And yes trying to make sense of why the trade happened. Main part of that is for sure the overall O scheme has changed….and didn’t look all that bad against the Raiders.

• ocalarob says:

If ajayi was still on the team would these comments still be the same? I get it, it eases your feelings toward this team to stand by who’s here and diminish the value of who’s gone, i doubt if any of you had a say in this move prior to pulling the trigger you would have said HELL KNOW!

I had questioned the move but thought that they had a plan that another RB could carry the rock like Ajayi, after seeing the Raiders game i was shocked by the move! and that has nbothing to do with the fact that we lost the game and more to do with watching these guys run the ball.
        ______________________________________

November 7, 2017 at 11:50 am
        Who said Ajayi sucked?
        __________________________________________
        November 7, 2017 at 11:24 am
        I think Ajayi made us too one dimenional

November 7, 2017 at 11:23 am
        Rob

Ajayi really wasn’t a between the tackles runner like you said he was,
        D says:
        November 7, 2017 at 10:46 am
        Ajayi is the type of runner who has to have a crease that he can hit while still moving north-south. He is not a jump cut, quick acceleration back, and he was playing like one a lot of times this year. He would get to the line and then he would start going east-west, widening his legs to make cuts and thefere losing everything he has to make yardage, which is power. Drake is better as doing these things

KNOW= NO

Ain’t football great ORob? We all view the same team and the same moves so differently. I was shocked that we only got a 4th for him (was thinking should have been at least a 3rd if not a 4th….and was really hoping for some young OL guy). After the game was going, “well least the new scheme made sense there.”

Still don’t see anyone saying Ajayi sucked though. D made the comparison to Lynch and me to Riggins. For sure the comments would be different if the trade was not made though…sorta the way it works.

^ “if not a Second”

saying we lost when we lost Tanny is not correct either, i don’t think Cutler is far off from tannehill if any, tannehill is a better athlete, i give cutler the nod for his accuracy and his pocket presence, arm strength is the same, Cutler may be better than Tannehill,
    because Tannehill is hurt he adds a myth to being our savior

Is Ajayi’s knee the same one there were concerns about during the draft, or the one he injured this year, or is it the combo of the same knee?

61. Phindog says:

Hey I just read somewhere that we traded Ajayi to the Eagles… WTH ? We will never win again 😦

On the day of the combine, the scouts all gathered ’round
      And they gazed in wide wonder, at the joy they had found
      The team docs spoke up, and they said leave this one alone
      They could tell right away, that I was bad to the bone

62. ukfinfan says:

CavalierKong says:
    November 7, 2017 at 10:58 am
    UK,
    We wore sunglasses to try and go incognito. I’m surprised you recognized us.

Kong, those gloves in hot weather give your disguise away every time!

UK, good post at 5:13. We should all focus on the team moving forward and not in the past.

• ukfinfan says:

There is no past Tim, only the future (unless we are talking about the 72 or 73 season or the Marino years) 😉

We are getting McDonald and Larsen for the last 8 games of the season, Cutty is going to get healthier (my guess is we played dink and dunk v Raiders partly because that’s what they gave us but partly to get the ball out quickly and avoid more busted ribs) and these backs will bed in and get more familiar with their starting roles.

I also expect teams to start sneaking up to the LOS to try to disrupt these plays and that gives Stills and Parker the chance to go and grab some longer passes or draw PI calls.

If we can win the second half of the season, we have a chance. The league is all over the place and any given Sunday is even more in evidence than ever this year. If we’d have had Tanny from the off ………..

There’s plenty to fix with this team without having to worry about a player who is no longer here.

Half the time I read this blog I feel like I’m reading a book titled “How to Regurgitate Simple Football Concepts and Impress Your Friends.”, or maybe the cliff notes version of “How to be a Talking Head.”

So often the arguments can be boiled down to ridiculously simple concepts that we geniuses know, but the NFL coaches are somehow ignorant of. It’s easy to regurgitate simple and basic ideas, and say “we need this to win”, but the game and the dynamics involved are far more complex. It’s not always as simple as “we need a power run game”.

I seem to recall Sparano’s offense was power football, the talk here was always “3 yards and a cloud of dust”. That didn’t work. Then there was Lazor and his pass happy, no run concept. That didn’t work. Now it’s Gase’s West Coast offense, which isn’t working.

Oh and to add my own genius idea. Yeah, Tanny going down had a huge impact. Not that he is some great QB, but he is solid, and the offense we are running is complex. Tanny would have been in his 2nd year running it, and he adds a dynamic run game to it, and he can throw a deep pass. To think Cutler, who was in a booth and has looked awful for most of the year was about as effective as Tanny would have been, is in this talking head’s humble opinion ill-informed.

At the end of the day you can run any scheme and have success if you execute.

Exactly. It’s about players and execution. The 90’s Cowboys won it all with power running and a dynamic vertical game. The 80’s niners won it with a west coast offense. The Bears and ravens won it with dominating defense. The Rams won it with an electric vertical game and a dynamic receiving RB. The Pets have won it with defense, dink and dunk offense, vertical offense, and cheating. The Bills went to four with a pro-scheme balanced attack. The redskins have won it with power run offense and with a passing offense.

Rob

I wasn’t implying Ajayi sucked, just pointing out what he did, or didn’t do this year, and why he was traded. I don’t think Drake is better, but his receiving skillset may actually make him more valuable in Gase’s system.

Plus, you did go into a little hyperbole there saying our season was over because we traded Ajayi – I think we both know that was little over the top, eh? 🙂

D-Bolt!!! Good to see you here man! You kinda just snuck in then snuck back out.

Good post by Kong at 12:50

Good to see Dbolt back on here

Mike, it was questionable if we could repeat last years success, sitting at 4-3, now sitting at 4-4 without a between the tackles downhill RB it’s very improbable. i disagree that i’m exaggerating. to think otherwise would be an exaggeration. JMO

I agree we probably won’t duplicate last years 10-6 record, but if we do, it will be with a completely different style of offense for the next 8 games. It can work, and as I thought all along, Cutty just needed time to get comfortable here. No arm injury, no worries.

When I think how poorly we played in the majority of the games, and FOR the majority of games, I think we should be pretty happy we’re 4-4

If Gase pulls this off he’s a magician, if he doesn’t i bring into question his football intelligence.
    Trading Ajayi was a punch in the gut for this team!

Great post Kong!
    If you could see me I’m standing giving you the old golf clap!

The team was no worse at RB without Ayayi Sunday night. If anything it was better, because they successfully threw screen passes. Right now they have the same record that they had last year at this point. Still half a season to play.

• ocalarob says:

Yeah, the tougher half, 18 rushes for 80 yards, I hope we can fool other teams that our weakness is a lack of running ability.

on the bright side at least we had a Julius Thomas appearance.

the onside kick was great!

————————————–
    I’m really at a loss for words!

who knows maybe we couple that 4th with another pick, move down and get us another RB

Ajayi is gone and we don’t have a running game, i’m done on the subject.
    good news is we’ll have a top 10 draft pick! i wonder who we will consider with that pick?

Next up Free Agency, Can’t wait!

Brett Tessler‏
    @TesslerSports
    Follow Follow @TesslerSports
    The Miami Dolphins just signed my client OT Zach Sterup (6’9″/325, Nebraska) to their 53-man roster off the Cleveland Browns practice squad.

Joe Schad ✔ @schadjoe
    Carolina Panthers #1 defense in the NFL: Miami Dolphins: #31 offense. #MNF

HOWIE’S REPLACEMENT HOWIE’S REPLACEMENT HOWIE”S REPLAEMENT!

Panthers 31 Dolphins 6

So who is our HC going to be in 2019? (I think Gase get’s one more year after this season and is most likely gone after that. 😦

Lots of psychics on this blog. LOL

When will we be finally out from under Suh’s franchise killing contact? Is he worth 26 Mil next year? (Rhetorical question, of course he isn’t)

We won’t win another game until New Year’s eve.

89. Ha. We’ve signed an offensive linemen from the Browns practice squad. They must have seen my posts about the Browns offense being better than ours

There’s cyanide in Rock’s Kool-Aid.

Signing that OL makes me wonder , either they think

A) Ja’Wuan James may be out a while

B) Sam Young sucks

C) Both A and B

LOL UK – I think that’s more accurate

Sterup was originally signed as an UDFA by the Chiefs in ’16, and he was also suspended 4 games that year for PED’s.

He’ll likely be on the roster for the minimum 3 games and then possibly to our PS or cut after that if James is back by then. We need another tackle for now. Davis will likely start at RT with Larsen at LG.

I’m wondering who we release to make room for him. I guess Nate Allen going on IR makes room for McDonald.

Mike, Scott came off the PUP and he replaced Ajayi’s spot.

Oh, I wasn’t sure where he came from, I figured it was the PS. Not really sure who we can take off the roster

Is Fales eligible for the PS, maybe they do that now that it seems Cutler is OK.

Good call, Fales may be the guy.

Doughty is currently on the PS. The FO must like him as a scout team guy. They obviously don’t feel he’s ready for the big team.

Does dead cap space go back to your salary cap once it’s cleared off the books?

Tim – From what I saw of Doughty in the pre season, I’m not sure if he’s an NFL caliber player. His arm is weak.

I agree. But maybe they like him as the scout QB and he’s not really in the team’s plans as a developmental QB. I think any QB you have on the PS, especially two years in a row is not really in the plans for any team. The practice squad is not just a developmental thing. It’s also part of the scout team.

97. ElephantRider says:

Fales is not PS eligible….. I’m pretty sure

I think McDonald took Ajayi’s spot. Scott took Allen’s spot. This new guy will likely take Fales spot and he’s out on the street again. Scott has to stay up for 3 games.

McDonald wasn’t eligible yet for Ajayi. Scott was added from the PUP to the roster after we traded Ajayi. Who makes room for Sterup? He has to stay on the roster for 3 games.

Here we go again… if she hadn’t personally blocked me on Twitter, I’d be giving her more than an earful about her latest BS today. Don’t make shit up, don’t make things racial, don’t diss my Brother Derek Carr for being Christian, and please just forever go away & STFU. 😡

We only had 6 inactive players against the Raiders

I was just looking at some things with our team and players we have coming up as FA’s and what i saw wasnt pretty. We are going to have a really hard time making cap next year and being able to re-sign any FA’s especially if we do bring Landry back.

Im sure they will find a way to make some room, but if Landry comes in at about 10-12mil, just the money needed for the rookies is going to put us at cap with maybe 2mil to spare. Cutting Thomas would give us about 7mil more to work with, but thats not going to re-sign much. Its definately going to be slim pickins and a lot of guys will be finding other teams. Maybe some of the bigger money guys like Wake, Suh, Tanny, etc. will re-structure to help free up some money. Another thing for sure is we will have no way to get in a bidding war over Landry. We are going to have to hope he likes playing for us, because he’s going to have to want to stay here over the money he likely gets offered elsewhere.

Sad!

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 3h3 hours ago
    Pasco County Fla. sheriff confirmed that Roy Halladay, a two-time Cy Young winner and a father, died in a plane crash.

Derek Carr‏Verified account @derekcarrqb 3h

This was Derek Carr’s response to Miko Grimes’ false allegations today.

Armando Salguero‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero 2h2 hours ago
    The Miami Dolphins do not need to make a roster move for the addition of OT Zach Sterup. Had open roster spot.

Sterup is a BIG dude. almost 6’10

November 7, 2017 at 6:59 pm
    Ignore her. If she consumes your time you need to take a good look at your time.
    ———
    LOL, I DO ignore her, but she just made NATIONAL headlines with her latest outburst. That’s rather difficult to ignore unless I bury my head in the sand.

The reason I asked about dead cap is we have a total of $15.5M of dead cap in 2017 for Maxwell, Albert, Mario Williams and Abdul-Quddus. Then Misi and Nate Allen who likely won’t be back in 2018 are on the books for $6.9M. Cutler will be $10M.

That would be $32.4M in cap space in 2018 not counting nickels and dimes for other lower level players that will raise it a bit. This also doesn’t count UFAs and other releases in 2018. That’s how fast cap space can be created. We could be right back at around $40M in 2018 without making any shocking releases.

Tim, we have 17mil in cap space, taking out the players who are FA’s next year, nto counting any of the dead money you just pointed out, and not counting any of the guys outside the top 51. We have a horrible cap situation coming up.

You are right Tim, SMith is on IR i didnt remember him being put on IR, Hickey is the PS OT we have, so i guess not a good look for him lol.

Not sure about the rest but we get a hit next year for Maxwell. Depends how long the contracts are for.

D says:
    November 7, 2017 at 7:10 pm
    ———-
    I made this point 2 weeks ago… I was told all we had to do was release Maxwell and maybe Pouncey… we’ll be just fine. 😆

Yes, D… we certainly do have a HORRIBLE cap sit coming up, man. I couldn’t agree more.

Thomas cut, saves us 7mil. Outside of that, unless ya wanna start hacking top players, we cant make much more room.

Wake is again a guy who could be cut for a chunk of change, but i woudnt want to see that happen. Maybe they talk him into re-structuring again. James could be cut for almost 9.5, but then what are we going to do at RT, and he has been the best OL we have had this year. We almost have to get Tanny to restructure or he is a candidate for cuts at 15mil in cap savings, and then thats hitting the reset button. Pouncey is 7mil in savings but you arent getting a starting caliber OC from draft or for 7mil. I know he’s the guy everyone loves to hate on our OL, but to think he is going to be easy to replace is just silliness. I mean thats it guys, thats the only guys who could come off the books and give us any cap relief.

More than likely, those guys stay and we just dont re-sign many people. Id like to keep Hayes, but i dont know if we will have room. Cutting Thomas would let us keep him but that’s all.

BTW if all the other FA’s walk, we would need to replace 2 ST aces who are players with position versatility in Thomas and Aikens, we have to replace. A starting TE, a really solid rotational DE in Fede, Our backup and third down RB in Williams, a starting LB in Mauluga, our only current PK in Parkey, our long snapper in Denney, our starting RG along with two backup OL, and out secondary will be severely depleted as far as depth players.

We will get McMillian back, hopefully, that would replace Mauluga. We would get Lippett back, which replaces Verner. So we have some holes plugged, but its going to be interesting to see how they work this. Its not going to be easy to keep continuity.

D, I’m not getting your thinking about our cap in 2018 based on what I pointed out. We could get to $40M easily.

D,

Try your hand at this, buddy. See if you can get us under the cap without making any HUGE cuts. Please keep in mind: we only have 38 current players under contract for 2018… you’ll have to sign an additional 15 players to fill out a 53-man roster.

Expired contracts with players making big money and dead money coming off gives us $32.4M to start.

Tim, check out this link. Over the cap takes out the FA’s, they also take out dead cap hits, etc. They give you the number you have based upon the top 51, and what the estimated team cap would be. Show me how they are wrong and ill buy into your 40mil caps space, but it looks like to me your taking off things that have already been taken off of those numbers.

go to the 2018 tab and look at it.

SHOCKED by the tragic plane crash that took Roy Halladay’s life! –Mrs. OD and me also live in Pasco County where Big Roy was a local legend. NOT ONE bad word was ever heard about him.
    ————————
    Mrs. OD had a cortisone shot in her lower lumbar area this afternoon. We’re hoping she can avoid a third lumbar surgery.
    ————————
    My best to all of you. The Old Dolfan has to pack tonight for an upcoming business flight to Baltimore. Highest predicted high will be 55. Two of the three nights will feature lows near or below freezing. If return flight is on time, I’ll get to see the second half of the Notre Dame-Miami Hurricanes game.

Prediction??? – – – PAIN!!!

Cut Pouncey, that opens up about $7M

November 7, 2017 at 7:33 pm
    ———
    Incorrect, man. We start at $7.7M+ AFTER those expired contracts and dead money are off the books.

Tim, only way we get to 40mil in cap space is cut Thomas, Tanny and Pouncey…. that will take us from 17 to 45. If you cut Pouncey or Tanny ya might as well cut both and start over with a new QB and OC pair.

It’s time to draft a C and a TE

Restructure Suh, as per usghe. He’s fine with it.

I would draft a OC and a TE for sure, the TE could come in and replace Thomas right off as long as we took a guy somewhere day 2. We wont get a replacement for Pouncey that easy. He needs to stay at least another year even if we draft a guy good enough to be a year 2 replacement.

we start with 17.7, and if we wanted to get most the players we need to get back to keep some continuity we could probably do it just cutting Thomas and letting Landry walk in FA. We would not be making any splashes for sure, and we would have to address holes through the draft, but it would keep us from having to cut or re-structure any players like Wake and Tanny. The other option would to be to re-structure both, shift the money around, maybe even talk Suh into it as well. If we did those, we could wiggle some room to make a decent play for Landry or to sign some vet guys to help us in some of our weaker spots while we draft their future replacements.

Nobody either read or is addressing my post about the numbers and why they are incorrect.

November 7, 2017 at 5:59 pm
    Does dead cap space go back to your salary cap once it’s cleared off the books?

son of a son of a shula says:
November 7, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Yes, once the seasson(s) goes by you carry it in it’s gone.

November 7, 2017 at 7:06 pm

You arent listenting to us. The dead cap discussion has not play here, i mean i guess it would IF like the salaries are static each year and then the dead cap falling off means next year will be that much more. The salaries for some of the players are hitting peak year, so there is more coming off or them than there is in 2017, so yeah you are right not dead cap hit for those players BUT our salaries are going up to almost match that so there isnt 32mil in cap space cleared up, there is about 15 in cap space cleared up…hence 17mil in space.

You gave no number details other than saying $17.7M. I’m just trying to know the answer, I have not seen the math completed. This started out as a question from me, not a declaration.

M13, it looks like overthecap is estimating a 178mil cap for 2018, and spotrac is using 168mil, not sure why they are so low, it was 168mil this year, and they go up about 10+ mil each year.

D,

Don’t forget roughly $5.5M to sign our Draft class and roughly $2.5M for PS players.

Tim, Jones cap hit for 2017 is 3.74 mil, next year his cap hit is 11.575…. almost 8 mil increase. Branch is going from 5mil to 10mil. Stills is going from 3.75 to 9.75, Kiko 2.8 to 9.6. See what i mean. Thats why your numbers are wrong, the salaries/cap hits aren’t staying the same bro.

Thanks for an answer. LOL

That said, some guys won’t be back at those numbers. You can’t be “okay” and make “real good” money. Teams can’t carry that.

November 7, 2017 at 8:32 pm

D

I think there are some rookies that can come in and play C. It happens all across the league, you just need a kid with experience
      —————————————-
      Yeah and the guy you get to play OC that comes in right off would need to be a 1st rounder. OC is a difficult position to play, you would need a top guy out of a top program to insert right off.

The best OC in football right now is probably the dude at Ohio State, Price i think is his name. I like is the dude from LSU becuse i think he is an NFL ready run blocker. However, like i said above, i dont think he is a 1st rounder, and i dont think he can come in right off with out significant dropoff from Pouncey. Im not saying some of these guys CANT start, as much as im saying its going to be a significant drop off from a former 1st round pick, who is among the best, if not the best OC in football when healthy. I know the latter caveat is where you are basing your opinion we can replace him in draft, but even injured he is better than any of these guys coming into the draft right now.

I didn’t answer you on the cap because I didn’t know the right answer

Must I dangle a carrot for y’all to try this out? LOL
    See if you can do it… fill out a 53-man roster for us while keeping us under the cap. When you’re finished, hit the “publish roster” button. It will give you a link to post here.

If I remember, I’ll try tomorrow, I get out of work in about 25 minutes, and then it’s C-H-I-L-L

I look forward to it, Mike E! It’s NOT as easy as one would think. We’re in definite cap trouble next year, buddy.

Obviously, the draft and undrafted free agents play into this, but that would be impossible to account for in this exercise.

Just give it a shot, that’s all I ask in sincerity. There’s no right or wrong answers here, I just want y’all to realize that we’re in trouble next year… paying two players “QB money” is finally going to catch up to us.

124. no savings for Misi. he’s a FA in ’18

D

Mike E,

And I want YOU to know… I 100% agree with you that we gave up too much for Carroo two Drafts ago. There’s a LOT we could have done instead, such as addressing our O-Line.

First person to publish a successful 53-man roster for 2018 while keeping us under the cap will receive an autographed copy of Mike E’s new book: “Take Care of the HAND That Takes Care of YOU: the Isotoner Memoirs”. Co-written by Dan Marino.

Use this site and then hit “publish roster”. After which, post your ‘published roster link’ here to the F-MU: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/miami-dolphins/2018/

I still need to sign 10 more players and I’m already $8.5M OVER the cap. And no, I did NOT make any FA splashes.

And I have YET to re-sign Jarvis Landry.

I just added Jarvis for a meager $12M and I’m suddenly $20.5M OVER the cap.

9 more players to add, and I only have 5 total O-Linemen under contract.

I just restructured Tannehill’s contract due to injury… I’m STILL $8M OVER.

I just cut Julius Thomas, now down to only 2 TEs after re-signing Fasano on the cheap, and I’m STILL $1.5M OVER. I’m now back to signing 10 more players, not to mention keeping $5.5M for our rookie draft class.

I just restructured Pouncey due to health issues. I’m finally $3.9M under, but I still need to sign 10 more players and keep $5.5M to sign our rookie class.

If we resign Landry, you can bet the 1st year will be a low cap hit so you can possibly gain 2-6 mil there. We have to restructure Suh if you haven’t done that already, that gets you 12 million more.

M13, is this you right now? LOL

CavalierKong says:
    November 7, 2017 at 9:09 pm
    If we re-sign Landry, you can bet the 1st year will be a low cap hit so you can possibly gain 2-6 mil there. We have to restructure Suh if you haven’t done that already, that gets you 12 million more.
    ————
    I suppose that’s on the table, but as I’ve cautioned before, it’s not going to make Suh or his agent happy… being restructured for a SECOND time on the same contract. I’m not sure it’s a good idea, Brother.

November 7, 2017 at 9:35 pm
    You serious. Clark? 😉
    ————
    ABSOLUTELY! I can’t believe I’ve never seen that before! So the name of the movie is “Modern Problems”? Is that right?

131. ElephantRider says:

I don’t worry about salaries and the cap. I would assume they have a plan. I’ll let them figure it out while I bitch about everything else.

132. ElephantRider says:

M

If I have the time I’ll try and do your task. No promises tho.

136. We can save a lot of money with some cuts, some of which people won’t like but are necessary to get out of bad contracts and also make a trade that won’t be popular. But if this team is to move forward I think it’s necessary for them to start thinking out of the box and do the things other teams do.

Beginning with around $17.7M in cap they can add $6.6M by cutting Julius Thomas. $24.3M.
    Next, they would save $15.2M by trading Ryan Tannehill. $39.5M
    Finally, the would save $17M by cutting Suh and getting out of that terrible contract. $56.5M

With that kind of money they could do a lot to fix the offense and still have plenty left over for injury and to be carried over into the next season. Again, not popular, but that would be where I would start. Of course, we could save another $7M by cutting Pouncey. With his health in question, this could actually be the most likely cut after Thomas.

I find it amazing how discombobulated the AFC is this year. With a four and four record and a 3 and 3 record in the AFC the Dolphins are still only one spot out of the playoff hunt. right behind the Buffalo Bills and ahead of three teams that have beaten us this year. as you guys know for my posts yesterday I have no confidence that this will remain the case as we heading to the second half of the Season slide.

even if by some chance they continue to squeak out enough winds just somehow get a wild card I do not believe they are good enough to go anywhere

Is this thing broken? Where is everyone today? I cannot believe that I am the only person who has posted this morning except for Professor Lou posted at some ungodly hour this morning

Don’t know about the rest of them, but I couldn’t get out of bed today cause of the deep dark depression from yesterday after learning the Koolaid/Homeriad/Stand the F Superhero had gone Debbie Downer. 🙂

D says:
    November 8, 2017 at 11:08 am

November 7, 2017 at 8:32 pm

D

—————————————-

Thanks D – I hear what you’re saying. I just think Pouncey is really falling off, he’s not the same guy, or even close when he was playing at a pro bowl level. Not only that, with his hips, I think he’s a big risk going forward, where he may at some decide he can’t play. I’d risk drafting a center early, and hopefully solidify that spot for another 5-10 years.

He really hasn’t had a bunch of bad games, he is consistently grading out as one of our better OL, last game, wasn’t great, the one before was a stinker, but still if you were to check his overall grade for the year, he is still going to be among the top OC’s in the game.

Also, Lou i think M13 is right, i think Spotrac is 10 off because they are estimating almost 10mil for the signing of the futures contracts they do right after the season ends and also the sign the rookie class which they estimate at 5-5.5mil. I couldnt figure out how they could be so off, but it was either that or they arent factoring in an estimation on the cap going up which it usually goes up around 10mil each year.

They dont save 17mil on Suh, they would save 3.9mil an lose the best DT in football.

When players’ contracts come off the books doesn’t that free up space to use that money on other players?

November 8, 2017 at 10:07 am
    ___________________________
    That’s what common sense does to you after looking at our pathetic running game vs the Raiders.

Here’s what I came up with, without restructuring Suh. I’m 7 players under the 53, which will be filled by our rookie draft class. You’ll note that I did restructure Tannehill and Pouncey, coming in at a tight $856K under the cap.

I either see a bunch of cuts or very few. There might be re-structures, and i think Thomas is a dead man walking without really turning up the production the rest of the way out. If we do however decide to cut Tanny, especially if there is no plan to re-sign Cutler at a more reasonable rate, then we are basically deciding to reboot and that really hinges on how poorly we fiish this season. If we wind up in the top 10 draft position, i think its a possibility. If not i doubt it. IF we did cut or trade Tanny, we likely also cut or trade Pouncey, and likely any of our other guys that are going to save us a lot of money and are at least feasibly replaceable. Wake wouldn’t be off the list but i think he would be one of the last decisions they made.

Almost all the others who are hitting some spikes in their salaries aren’t completely off the hook either. Yeah we would have a good chunk of dead money on some of these guys but a lot of them are 50/50’s because you only would have slightly more in dead money vs cap savings to cut them. Branch for example, yes 4 mil in dead money, but 6mil in savings. Still is 5.25 in dead money but 4.5 in savings, etc etc. So really if we got down to having to make room, we could make sure at the cost of a roster spot, and we would just have to be able to fill that spot with a player that is potentially going to give us something close to that production as less than the amount we are saving by cutting them.

Omar Kelly‏Verified account @OmarKelly 27m27 minutes ago
    If the #Dolphins have to play without Ja’Wuan James for the next 3 weeks my approach would be: Tunsil, Larsen, Pouncey, Bushrod, James.

LOL

im Knight says:
    November 8, 2017 at 11:30 am

November 8, 2017 at 11:32 am

Sure, it has to
    November 8, 2017 at 11:41 am

I keep being told no. So my whole view on how this works has been altered. LOL
    —————————————————-
    Tim thats not what you are being told no on. You are being told no that your way of calculating how much we will have by saying we are getting back that much becuse the dead money falls off is incorrect.

If we had a cap base of 175mil and we had 1mil left in cap, and that includes the dead money, then if all the salaries stayed the same, yes we would be clearing the amount of dead money that was going away. The problem is thats not whats happeneing. We have players you this year are at a significant amount less of a cap hit than they are in 2018, so that pool you think you are gaining back is being eaten up by the increase in the cap hit.

We had 19mil in dead money this year, so 19mil of our cap was for that. So applying your math, that means we should have 20mil in cap space, rolling over the 1mil we saved from this year, plus the money we arent paying out in dead money. Then you take off the salaries of the free agents, etc etc and you came up with a number of 40 mil. Im fine with that calculation, but now you have to take away from that total the amount of increased cap hit for the 2018 salaries, since contracts are not evenly split. Im not going to list all the ones that are going up but this is an expensive year for us, a lot of players got deferred on the first year, ie only a small part of their salaries got paid out year 1. Year 2 is a balloon year, for some if not a bunch and they are due a big chunk of their salaries and thefore their cap hits are bigger. Subtract all the increases in the cap hits and you will find yourself back down to 17.7 mil. Overthecap already does the calculations for oyu and they even throw in the projected cap increase, etc.

I dont know if this is a good enough explanation as to why you are both right and wrong, and why the explanations you were getting were answering your questions all along, even though you didnt think they were.

Misi coming off the books doesn’t free up his salary for someone else?

Sure it does, the 1.793 mil we will save, will go to partially covering the almost 8mil increase in Reshad Jones’ cap hit. So that would still leave us -6.2ish. So just to be back to 0 you have to give me a few others that would do that.

I understand the increase from other players’ contracts going up. Lou said Misi has no number, he’s a UFA.

Just had surgery to repair my finger. Had three pins inserted. It was fractured in three places. At home recovering.

M13, yes Modern Problems was the movie. It’s a silly but funny Chevy Chase movie.

Yeah i liked it. Chevy Chase wasnt as dynamic in is range of comedy as a lot of others, but the character he generally played, he did it well.

November 8, 2017 at 12:23 pm

—————————————
    thats apples and oranges, he saves us money because he isnt costing us money anymore. So yes, he saves us what we spent in 2017, but we dont “save anything” by cutting, etc in 2018, because he already isnt on the books in 2018. You guys arguing different sides of the same coin and thats what im trying to point out.

I’m just trying to figure out how guys no longer on the team with no dead money doesn’t free up money to use on someone else. I understand other players’ contracts going up cuts into it. But if you subtract some players contracts it has to free up some money.

I guess a better way to point out the flaws and the not being able to see each others viewpoints is you are trying to base your estimations of what we will have in cap space off 2017 salaries and taking off the ones that wont be there in 2018, either the dead money items or the FA players, and you are ignoring the fact that 2018 salaries wont be the same as they were in 2017.

Lou is taking a complete 2018 look, which already have all that stuff removes and the salaries already adjusted for 2018 and then adding/subtracting from there, so Misi is irrelevant to him because he is already off the books, Cutler is irrelevant because he is already off the books. Etc.

You are both right, with one exception, you have calculated in the changes in salary and when you did, you and Lou would have the same number.

Okay, I see what you’re saying. I read it like Misi or anyone else off the books doesn’t free up any space, not that it was already calculated.

NEW BLOG UP!