The Wedge Scouting Report: Bo Scarbrough, Alabama

Okay you got me.  I really want to draft a running back and I have a real affection for those SEC running backs.

Can you blame me – there’s a ton of good ones.  My favorites are the cleanup types.  They are like the deadly UltraCleaner that I release on unsuspecting planets to seal the deal.  Better not get in its’ path…

wedgeCleaner

The Dolphins can use a running back like Bo Scarbrough that way – let Bo finish the deal!

Scarborough5

The Positives:  Over 1500 yards in his college career, Alabama used Scarborough to weaken SEC defenses, which is no easy task and he rushed for 5.7 yards a carry while wearing those defenses down.

Scarborough is 6’1, 232 pounds – he is punishing runner who runs with a very physical style of running – maybe more like a bulldozer at times.  Scarborough is one of those runners who beats a team into submission to the point where he ends up with an eye opening game.  In 2016 against Washington, he ran for 180 yards on 19 carries just punishing the Huskies on every carry.

NCAA Football: CFP National Championship-Clemson vs Alabama

The Negatives:  More often than not, Scarborough is taking the chunks his offensive line is giving him.  He is a north and south runner and not exactly a guy who creates his own yards.

He didn’t have a lot of catches at Alabama, but frankly, the Crimson Tide doesn’t use running backs that way.  Speaking of which, you can’t look past the Tide’s checkered history with running backs in the NFL.

Scarborough4

The Alien Dust:  If the Dolphins find themselves without a running back in day 3, Scarbrough may be a guy worth considering.  He can be the big pounding back that the Dolphins need.

I also think Scarbrough is an asset in the passing game, sure he didn’t catch the ball a lot but he has the skills – and he’s really a pretty good blocker too.  With Drake and Gore, Scarbrough fits well with this team.

Scaborough2

Bo Scarbrough is an UltraCleaner – get out of his way!

Scaboroughcleaner

You Can Watch his highlights here:

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

238 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: Bo Scarbrough, Alabama

Bo knows first

Randy says:
    April 21, 2018 at 11:57 pm
    , you could keep Landry AND change how you run your offense. We didn’t have to get rid of Landry to make changes. I don’t understand why the two issues keep getting combined.
    ________________________________________________

I don’t think Landry was all that special, I think the offense had no choice but to go to him due to the lack in other areas such as the running game, the short passes were the only option in a predictable offense so he got the catches, Landry is a limited slot rec, he is limited by his speed, he’s not fast and very replaceable, no way IMO you pay him 15mil a year, that’s calvin johnson money

I actually think landry was elite in his physicality after the catch and I think he has great hands too

He does a lot of things really well. I bet he continues to put up really good numbers for a few more years

I agree with Randy’s idea – you don’t have to eat rid of Landry to change the offense. I also agree with you that at times the offense had no choice but to go to him, but that’s not his fault and getting rid of him doesn’t fix that, it only gets rid of that option

I also think he wanted to much $

Landry’s stats don’t really show him being elite after the catch, he just had so many catches he got a lot of yards, and factor in catching it close to the LOS.

Correct, you don’t have to get rid of him to change the O, but why keep him at that price, when he doesn’t fit what you’re trying to do, then add in his juvenile shenanigans.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: James, Derwin, SS/FS, Florida State (A)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Wynn, Isaiah, OG, Georgia (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Hurst, Hayden, TE, South Carolina (A)
    Round 4 Pick 23: White, Mike, QB, Western Kentucky (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Leonard, Darius, OLB/ILB, South Carolina State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 35: Flowers, Dimitri, FB, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Atkins, John, DT, Georgia (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Carter, Martez, RB, Grambling State (A-)

Is a LB worth trading up for?
    Or QB??????????????????

The unofficial top 10 🐖 ranking of players I would take at 11 in order of preference

1 Nelson
    2 Edmunds
    3 Mayfield
    4 Ridley
    5 Roquan Smith
    6 Guice
    7 Rosen
    8 minkah
    9 Derwin
    10 Vita Vea

Allen, Jackson and Darnold are off my board. I will squeal if we draft one of those qbs. Likewise I don’t expect Barkley or Chubb at 11 so I don’t have them on my board. I’m almost certain that Nelson will be gone too but he is still my #1

Guice at #11? You got a bad pig crush on the guy. We could get him if we trade down though. You had the Samurai before…..seems the RBs you like need a name.

James and the@11
    for
    Flowers and the #2???????????

8. naplesfan2010 says:

Minkah would fix the FS problem and the LB prob with 1 pick as we could then employ TJ as
    a nickel LB/SS/dime DB, otherwise get Vea or Da’Ron Payne.
    Then we must take TE in the 2nd.
    RB third
    DT 4th or vice versa, depending on 1st.
    4b = BPA
    6th should be PK
    7a and 7b need to be ST demons (1 SS and 1 LB)

Yes Minkah or Derwin at 11 will fix 2 spots, and is my wish at 11. Secondary is Smith or Edmonds, but still fill FS another way.

One of these 4 will be on the board, or 1 of 4 QBs, Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, Ward, so how do we go wrong staying at 11.

Our O was predictable, because the OL was awful. How can you open the playbook without any time to throw?

I think Gase is going with the quick hitting WRs, because he wants a 2.0 to 2.5 second offense. Take the need for the read out of RT and you play to his strengths, and the OL doesnt have to block for too long.

I created a poll, and figured out how to delete the old poll, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to embed the new poll. Ugh, I’m so tech-tarded it hurts me. Anyone know how to do it?

It’s not so much about Landry holding the offense back or anything, just that we went through him too much and what he produces wasn’t worth top dollar. I’d love to still have him in Miami on his 2nd rd deal. 😉

Lets go Flyers!!!!

Why would we trade for Flowers who has struggled mightily? James is better than Flowers.

Please vote on the poll if you plan on attending the 2018 Fest !!!

Not going to vote at this point, but already set a Fest there will be. And have been real happy to see how many can make both Bears and Lions, even if a lot of preferences for the Simba date.

For those of you who like hockey, tune into the Flyers/Penguins end of the 1st period 2-2. Both teams are flying. Great hockey!!!

I can’t beleive Mike figured out how to post a poll!

I honestly don’t know which I prefer Bears or Lions

I would be happy with either
    But I’m the lone Lions vote now

Everything I’ve read about Edmunds shows on his game tape against the U. He makes plays, he’s slow to react on others, his potential has no limit, he doesnt play to his speed. I’d take him and love the pick, but no big deal if we don’t.

Roquan is a much better LB right now, and is much better in coverage, if both are available it’s Roquan all day.

Flyers/Penguins 4-4 at the end of 2 periods. Great hockey!!!

I wouldn’t care if we traded up for Roquan Smith. He fits how we want to play defense.

OLB Alonso
    MLB McMillan
    OLB Smith

I actually think edmunds is better in coverage than Smith

The thing about Edmunds and him being raw is it really shows up in some of the false steps he takes against the run
    A lot of wasted energy picking the wrong direction
    His instincts aren’t there yet

But I think he’s pretty good in coverage and better than Smith

The one thing I think Smith does better than Edmunds is rush the passer

I get why some people are saying smith is more ready than Edmunds
    But I think Edmunds will have an immediate impact so I wouldn’t put to much weight in that difference

26. BailBondMike says:

No to Bo Scarborough for me. He had difficulty creating in college and the pro’s will be much more difficult. He wasn’t even the starting RB. Trust me (as M13 would say), he will be DT3 all over again. Not even a DT3 2.0 but more like a DT3 0.05

Here’s his tape against Clemson and it’s all I need to see………DT3 0.05

• naplesfan2010 says:

Thing is though, Clemson’s entire DL in that game will be in the NFL, so that is not just any college team you are watching. Those are All Americans and first team ALL ACC guys and high round draft picks to be.

27. naplesfan2010 says:

Hey Pig great article
    i do like Bo … just the hammer we need with Drake the greyhound setting him up.

Grier said, when we think of BPA we think about the Miami Dolphins and our roster.

• naplesfan2010 says:

I read that and that’s why i wrote what I did. We have some very specific needs (huge holes) at TE and DT. And PK.

Suh leaves shoes too huge to fill with 5th and 6th rnd picks or God forbid some UDFA cast-off from some other team.

At TE all we have is 2 ex QBs and a slow WR from off the practice squad. Sure we want BPA-TE, so we MUST get a starter at the position, or we will suffer the consequences in the W-L numbers. In the 2nd round, our pick better be a TE.

We also have zero at PK. Those guys can lose games (or win them). We must draft one in the 6th to keep from having to settle for the dregs in UDFA or some mental case retread.

Nice write, Pig.

While I DO like Bo, he isn’t an all-around RB like Gase prefers: he can’t catch. What’s more, his lengthy injury history is rather ‘fugly’ when one looks back all the way to his high-school days: he’s an injury just waiting to happen… not good.

Some team is going to get a VERY good player in Bo, but for how long? Bo is almost like Ajayi, what with Ajayi’s “bone-on-bone” knee(s). And THAT is why he’s projected to go in the mid-rounds.

• naplesfan2010 says:

He can cost a team a CB though if he gets loose and hits the guy full speed. He’s as big as a LB and faster than a Safety. Just a nightmare to tackle if he breaks contain.

VERY much agreed. Nevertheless, his durability is a HUGE concern what with his lengthy injury history. And again, he can’t catch the ball: Gase will pass on him.

Ken, maybe Smith can play MLB too, actually if we drafted him I could see all three of our LBs playing all three positions.

31. BailBondMike says:

Naples you are correct about Clemson’s DL but Scarborough will be facing athletic DL’s like that throughout the NFL. I would much rather have Kamryn Pettway who is 3 lbs heavier than Scarborough and could be taken late due to some injury/off field issue. Even more (and I don’t think people realize) I would rather have Royce Freeman who is also 2 lbs heavier than Scarborough and he can create and catch.

All this discussion about a RB who probably won’t play much this season. It looks to me like a split between Drake and Gore as in 175/175 and then we’ll see who gets the rest.

33. BailBondMike says:

CBSSports:
    Royce Freeman: Boulder-like frame with thick upper body and tree-trunks for legs. Bouncy running style makes him surprisingly agile in the open field and when he meets a linebacker in the hole. Possesses top-level balance and adequate power to run through arm tackles. Three-down back in the NFL.

34. BailBondMike says:

I would MUCH rather have Royce Freeman.
    Actually, I think if they can’t get Michel, Freeman is their next favorite RB,
    followed by Kalen Ballage.
    ————————————————————————————————–
    Naples, I agree! If we were a ground and pound team like the Titan’s, I wouldn’t mind having Scarborough as a #3. I was just thinking about our OL and the direction we may be headed where our #3 RB will need to be more than a pounder since I don’t know how long Gore will last.

I still think that we’re going to see a reunion between CJ Anderson and Adam Gase. Just sayin’…

Ol’ Horse Face tried to get us to trade for CJ Anderson, but we didn’t bite (that was the rumored Ja’Wuan James trade that never went down).

Now that CJ is a FA, we can sign him to OUR $$$.

Naples, all good. 🙂

37. naplesfan2010 says:

So all those ppl responding on NFL.com and dolphins website about how terrible the FO handled the Landy thing, well Denver got nothing for CJ who was a thousand yd rusher in 2017.

Gase wants CJ, but at reasonable $$$. We’ll see what the Draft presents us first, and then if we don’t address the RB position, we’ll revisit CJ as a tier-3 FA. I think the same holds true for Anthony Fasano.

I’ll take Freeman over Scarbrough too

Scarbrough is more like an option in day 3 if we missed all the other backs

I’ll take most of the backs I did scouting reports over a Scarbrough but I do like Scarbrough if we don’t take a back earlier

This would be the best thing that can happen!
    Mayfield gone!
    Pushing another good player @11!

Penny Penny

that’s my two cents regarding running backs in this draft.

I actually like this one a lot!!!!!!!!

ONLY THREE MORE DAYS!! Then we can start arguing about how bad the the dolphins’ first round pick was. (ba ba ba baummmmm) IF they take a first round pick.

I don’t think we’ll hear to much about our 1st, unless we trade it. More likely Mike is going to get his wish after another infamous MTP trade up, since he likes to critique them😉

Im hearing Derwin James is considered more of an SS, but I see him as having the coverage skills needed to play FS. Yeah he’s a hitter, but that’s a bonus for FS.

What do you guys think about him as our FS?

He also had fewer carries, so don’t expect it to be a similar % this year. Although it’s great to have an explosive back, just don’t burn him out on short yardage carries. That’s where Gore comes in.

steveccnv says:
    April 23, 2018 at 9:34 am
    So do you see him as a FS?
    ————————————————
    I see his slotted as a CB/FS
    If we draft him it would mean on passing downs he would come on as a Pass defender until he can get up to full time status.

I think he does hit like a SS. But he also covers like a CB!

Who cares what we call him if he can cover a TE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, after reading about him i was wondering, if i had him out of position. Im not sure who I prefer between Derwin and Minkah, but it wont matter, since they wont both be on the board at 11. Just leave the FN pick alone MTP, and go QB or D.

Phinsider did a compilation of who a bunch of mocks have to for us….so one stop shopping. Without actually counting looks like top 3 are Via (think the most), Edmunds and Smith. Lot more Mayfield than would have thought. He’s probably 4th.

Derwin or Minkah a toss up, then Smith, but all trumped by top 4 QB for me. If we can secure the back end, in this passing league, we should have a very good and versatile D.

Assuming TJ is moved to LB at times. This would give us great depth in the back 7. I would expect an LB to be drafted by round 5, one way or another, and a true FS to be added via some method, if not at 11.

When you spread the ball around its harder to defend, players resigning are cheaper and easier to replace. QB you have to pay, and maybe TE, but dont pay a WR.

Stanger, I tried to post the graphic from the story you posted, but it is going to spam (like I ever spam this site!) Here are the top percentages of the selections in all the mock drafts listed.

Vita Vea – 28%
    Mayfeild – 19%
    Edmunds – 15%
    Smith – 13%

all others under 7% (seven total)

We already tried giving Suh the farm, don’t make the same mistake by drafting DT at 11.

I think we know more than these hacks, because we haven’t had smoke blown in our faces and taken it as word.

Awesome Rock — and guess there were even more Mayfields than I thought. Having him sure would give us a lot to talk about unless Tanny blows it up and there was no need.

I dont think Vea is as unlikly a selection as you might think Steve, i mean the pick makes some sense. I agree i dont like that pick for us, especially with what else most likely would be on the board there. I believe DT’s are a big deal, and a really great one is justifiable at 11. My big deal is i dont see him as great, i see him as really good, but outside of being an impact player in his first year maybe even ever, i see maybe a top 10 guy, and that’s pushing it, but i dont see a top 5 player.

I sincerely hope that the majority of the mock drafters in that article are wrong. (47% picked either Mayfeild or Vea) I will be disappointed if we pick either of those two guys.

I wont. If they get the guy they want then so be it. Mayfield wouldn’t be as popular with the teams picking at the top if he didn’t have something that looks like elite traits. I dont think you ever fully know a player will develop to meet expectations, so you draft off what ya feel about the player. If they take either of those guys its because they feel they will develop into a difference maker. I dont see the same things with Vea, and most of what i see with Mayfield is the intangibles so its hard to truly measure those, but those picks are as good as any other they will make, because it isnt our opinions that make a difference its theirs.

Rock you cool with all the Fest games in the poll or do you need to talk to your brother first…..lol

I’m good for any of the dates. I’m not planning on going to my brothers B-day this year which is 10/22.

I voted for the Jets game just because I hate the jet’s fans and would rather have 15-20 guys backing me up than going alone. LOL

LOL — you and Jets fans is a reason for most of us not to do that game. 🙂

But cool that all are good for you….we missed you last year bud.

the only thing that will really make me freak out like my avi would be if we trade up and give up our 2nd or 3rd or both picks. I will lose my shit if they do that. ESPECIALLY for one of the future bust QB’s that no one can decide on who is the best…..

Maybe they cant decide on who is the best because they are all good prospects?

T

That COULD be D…….It would be the first time in the history of the draft, EVER but there is a first time for everything.

Statistically speaking only, 2 out of the 4 will be busts. Also statistically speaking NONE of the 4 will be franchise changing quarterbacks.

I promise to NOT get into any fights at the Fest. Regardless of who the other fans root for.

I will behave.

even if I have to back down from one and be “the pussy”

How’s that?

Just kidding with you Rock. No one is picking this game over that for such reason, but those Jets fans…..seen more of them taken out of the stadium than all the other teams put together.

Always remember it could be worse!

IMO, if its not one of the QB’s it will most likely be Smith or Edmunds, with an outside chance of Fitzpatrick or James.

I could see them likely to trade up but i think they will be smart about the cost of the trade and only do so if th price is acceptable. I dont see trade back as likely, just because of our position and the drop off in talent much further back from our spot. Stay put probably is the most likely thing they will do, though.

I think Vita Vea is in play too.

Absolutely — the mocksters suck early, but at this point they are dialed in as far as position need and what is happening otherwise. And Vea is their boy for us, even if a lot of it has to do with who they think will be there at #11.

D, on Vea and DT, I get that the position is important, but until we get strong LB play it’s a waste of an 11 pick. DTs are doubled a lot, just because the C needs something to do.

If DT is the the pick at 11 I’ll be in Payne

I don’t have a problem with it. You’re not paying him Suh money and you have him on a rookie deal for a minimum of 4 years with a 5 year option.

That’s not the point.

I’m not sure what the point is. DT didn’t become unimportant because we just moved on from the Suh deal. I’m also not saying that should be the pick, but Vea is in the discussion.

You cant double an LB or S, to take them out of the play, but you can go to the other side. I’d be ok with half the field essentially covered.

We all know the definition of insanity, so lets not wash, rinse, and repeat at DT. We must get a difference maker on D, so LB or FS, or QB.

Tim, we’ve proven our D isn’t very good with a great DT, so why would we replace Suh with the 11th pick? Once you’ve got difference makers behind him, then by all means go after that great DT.

Well Grier said he thinks there is good depth at LB even in the mid and late rounds. So if Edmunds and Smith are gone, you look at other options. We’re also getting McMillan back and we never got to see him play, so it’s like we’ve added a good young LB already.

We need another playmaker on the back 7. You don’t stop Gronk and some of these other non-wrs with some guy from the middle rounds.

Against a 4-3, teams have to decide who gets doubled. It’s not a given that all DTs are doubled. It depends on the play call, the defensive alignment, and other factors. Suh was always doubled because he’s just that good. Our other DT was usually not. Also, centers usually do combo blocks and then slide off to a LB to get that second level block, if they’re uncovered. But, if you are playing against a guy like Suh, you may start with a combo block against him and then have a back come in and chip him….or the back is the second guy on a double block….or maybe the C/G simply double him throughout the play. There are lots of ways to play it. If you don’t have a Suh, then teams play it straight up and it makes their blocking calls easier. Our problem wasn’t Suh. It was that nobody else on our DL really made teams pay for single blocking them. Phillips especially. He has the size and athleticism to where a single guard should not be able to stop him. They did.

I will be very disappointed if Vea is the pick. It just would seem like such a lazy choice

You want excitement…..bring in one of the QBs if they fall. Not all that thrilled about buying TP, but sure as heck know when don’t have any. 🙂

If we stay at #11 it seems that Edmunds, Smith, Vea, James, Ward or Jackson would all be possibilities.

I would hate the Vea pick. I’d rather take any of the LB’s either Edmunds or Smith, or even Derwin James over Vea. We can take a guy like B.J. Hill in the 3rd, and probably not lose much

Not to far off from my thoughts!

Rhino
    The wifey said she would call in sick for me on 10/26!

I guess I’m just more open to draft possibilities than some of you are.

I guess you’re more likely to NOT be disappointed then some of us are too. 🙂

For me it’s always about how the 53 shapes up and then what the impact of the rookie class is for the present and future. It’s not just about the 1st rd pick. You can find good players in other rounds as well so to me it doesn’t matter which positions you take first. As long as they can play and help the team get better is all that matters to me.

In other years i may agree Tim, but this year we have a distinct need that should be filled, if possible assuming 1 of the 4 LBs/FSs are available, and 1 of the 4 QBs is not.

There are players I would want before Vea
    But I don’t think he will be a bad pick just not exactly what I want

Steve, I’m not against taking a LB or DB at #11 but not sure the top guys will be there.

If the 4 QBs aren’t gone we should be taking one of them, otherwise 1 of these will be there, any of which I’d take: Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, Ward and the 2LBs/FSs.

Why go away from BPA to take Vea? Why would he even be in play?

If Suh was in this draft and available at 11 I’d take him, but would still rather have the LB/FS.

When I look at what should be there in the first after 11, I’m not trading down, but its 100 times better than taking Vea at 11. You could get Payne in a trade down, if DT was the must have.

Vea wouldn’t be BPA at 11.

“Trade back from 11 is real option for Dolphins “……”We hear the Dolphins are serious about trading back and picking up extra picks, if the board cooperates.”

Then Beasely pimps Vander Esch as the fall back option to Edmunds (not a Smith fan), but key thing for me is it is Beasely talking about the extra picks…..even I would be thinking first pick of the TE litter after.

In Full with Esch breakdown

We just got rid 3 of our top stars, so why trade down? Makes no sense, unless you’ve got guys you could take later, that you feel aren’t a drop off. I don’t see it.

I would however trade down twice and pick up several additional selections like the Colts did. The talent is in top 12.

Whether to trade down or not of course comes with what you get in return. And if Top 12 has the most value then it might be even more than usual. Just to go to the extreme — would you trade #11 for 4 second rounders btwn this year and next? Probably won’t happen, but there is one example where I would.

Only if its 3 2nds from this year. I really want one of the 2 FS or Smith. We gotta get better back there now, and we should have 1 of the 3 there at 11. I’d put Ward in there too, but don’t expect him to be there.

There we go steve….you do have your price. In this case three 2018 2nds and a 2019 2nd thrown in on top.

Matt Maiocco @MaioccoNBCS 5m5 minutes ago
    GM John Lynch says if it’s proven Reuben Foster hit the alleged victim he will not be on the #49ers.

I’ve read stories about us being interested in trading up with Denver, and about us trading down. We’re interested in QBs, LBs, and everything in-between.

Clearly nobody knows what the heck we’re doing except the front office (clearly the talking heads don’t), and that is a good thing. 🙂

Can’t wait for draft day. Almost here.

I am cheating this year and ordering pizza and wings instead of cooking up the food myself. It feels pretty good to know all I have to do is sit down and turn on the TV, but I still feel like I’m stepping out or doing wrong somehow, lol.

steveccnv says:
    April 23, 2018 at 2:58 pm
    Why do you want the 5’9 guy Brady will turn into a pro bowler?
    ———————–

If it;’s our CB then let him have at it! 😉

73. Rhino says:

Wyoming… saw your 1:58 post. Now find Krishna (in Austin)… those are the only people here from Texas that I know of. 🙂

Makes sense – I like it

I think Vea is the lazy pick because of cutting Suh. It doesn’t take into account that they got a starter and a significant rotational player at DT last year in the late rounds. I would be shocked (and unhappy) if they take a DT at 11. If Suh couldn’t make a difference, given the rest of the defense, a rookie damn sure won’t.

76. drg says:

Hard for me to be disappointed since I couldn’t tell you much of anything about the draft this year. All I’m hoping for is no stupid trades. Just be patient and wiling to move down if there’s an offer and good value.

Only Utah guy I’d like to see here this year is Carrington. He has huge hands and catches everything really clean. Might even be an UFA we could pick up. Lowell Lotulelei might be worth a shot in 6th or 7th. His last two years were injury plagued and I don’t feel like he gave a full effort. The talent is definitely there, though. He looked better than his older brother, Star, during his sophmore season.

77. drg says:

Cav,

If we trade up to take one of the QBs that would definitely be a stupid trade in my book. Rosen isn’t anything special and I’d be fine with Mayfield, but only at 11. If we had to give up a future first or something to get him that would just be a completely ridiculous move.

I think Jackson might end up having the biggest impact out of the all the QBs.

I honestly don’t think it will happen. Of course my opinion is mostly formed by reading the opinions of the people on this blog that put energy and work into this draft process, so no original thought from me in that regard, lol.

I do not get the attitude that if “one of the top 4 QB’s are there we definitely have to take him”

IMO that is just a stupid point of view. all 4 qb’s will not be successes in the nfl. book that as FACT. Even if it is not fact at this point, statistically it is close enough not to argue. ONE may turn out as a franchise changing player. TWO MAY turn out being “good”. but historically they will not all be good and most likely three will be “busts”

We absolutely MUST bust is a fools opinion. It’s not even a “need” at this point so I don’t get it except from a few known haters.

It comes from what we think the FO will do, but I think all 4 have a good chance to be successful with us. These QBs are different from past QBs, they’re all pretty good. I think Allen has the biggest bust potential, and will be a bust for Clev. I believe the situation you put these guys in has almost as much affect on busting as their talent.

I hate that this made me laugh out loud

23. Patriots – Local 5’9” Caucasian Walmart Cashier, future pro bowler

April 23, 2018 at 4:29 pm
    Mocksters have 32 teams to figure out, but at least makes sense as as far as what makes position sense. And he is one big old boy.
    _——————————————-
    But it only makes sense if you only consider one factor – we cut Suh. If you actually look at all the factors – Having Suh made no difference, picked up 2 DT in the 4th round last year that are significant starters, still have Phillips who is basically in his contract year, none of the DT crop are transformational players – it doesn’t make sense. Having Suh on the field didn’t help the pass rush or the LB play. And there was no significant difference when he was off the field, albeit that was limited times. That they hit on two DT in the 4th says they probably are confident that they can find DT anytime. Phillips should be motivated to play hard this year and Vea reportedly doesn’t always play hard either. If either of the top DT were rare talents, they would be gone long before 11, just like Chubb and Barkley.

P-Phish — not sure exactly how or when it happens, but there will be new DT. Heck — could see us using both 4ths on them. Or maybe Vea at #11. Long time ago gave up saying what will happen in the draft specifically.

82. naplesfan2010 says:

I’m surprised at the guys on here not wanting Vea or Da’Ron Payne. But ok I guess if it’s because you value someone else more.Only PK is more bare in Miami, & I’m banging the table for a TE.

But we absolutely have a major void at DT. Not saying that the way the Suh thing went was ideal, but we lost a superstar at DT and we do not even have a bona fide starter on the roster at DT. Philips is so shaky a 5th rnd rook stole half his snaps. And Vince was a 6th rounder who is a nice find late, but he’s not a NFL first string DT.

We better get some talent in there next to Wake
    or the old man’s 10 sacks are gonna evaporate fast.

My logic is that we had a dominant DT, and our defense still sucked. We have to try to get a dominant player somewhere else, preferably at LB, or the secondary, or both. There are very few “playmakers” at DT. Even if Vea was somewhere close to being as good as Suh, does that make our defense better? I don’t think so. We need a difference maker at LB, S or CB

• pheloniusphish says:

I don’t see the void. I’m sure they will pick up a DT later in the draft, but not early. DT play in rotations, so first string/second string doesn’t really matter.Godschaux took snaps away because he earned them and Taylor is a nice rotational piece. Suh, for all his talent, did not change games. Not his fault…he did what he was supposed to do. It was the players around him that fell short. But DT don’t impact games by themselves.

83. naplesfan2010 says:

A DT pair of Phillips and Godchaux and that’s as good as it gets is not Playoff caliber.
    They should be a rotational pair; they aren’t a side by side wall any OL coach would fear.
    Taylor’s just a back-up.
    We need a talented potential pro bowler at Left DT. We don’t have that guy.
    Thankfully, rookies work cheap.
    Teams will routinely send out a OG or C to pick off our LB whose responsibility is plugging the hole and boom we are giving up 5-8 right up the gut on a regular basis.

At least let’s get BJ Hill, Nnadi, or Tim Settle in here in the 3rd. Maybe Senat or Kendrick Norton.
    Then next year we get one of Clemson’s guys in the first for our future HOF guy in there.

84. naplesfan2010 says:

We just HAD to cut Suh the contract, not Suh the player. We still need a stud DT.
    So LB in the first, TE in the second, RB in the third, and DT twice in the 4th is fine with me.
    I would hate to miss out on this year’s great crop of RBs. Royce or Penny in the 3rd.
    Or Penny in the second and Ian Thomas in the third.

85. naplesfan2010 says:

Suh is not why we went 6-10. Suh is why we didn’t go 4-12 or worse.
    (With a little help from Landry.)

We probably won’t take a DT high being Gase has said the new DL coach Kris Kocurek prefers a heavy rotation of 8 DL to stay fresh and constantly attack. He doesn’t want worn down guys on the field because they’re playing too many snaps.

Hey Mob – 13KVFins Nicholas says hello!

Naples, the scenario you described above happened with the over pursuing Suh on the field regularly last year. He rushed up field and they would let him, the run would go around him 5-8 yards.

I respectfully disagree with the whole “lazy pick” talk. We (like all other 31 teams) have a draft board, complete with draft grades. If Vita Vea is our selection @ R1P11, he was the highest graded player on our board (probably at a position of need), period.

We have enough holes to fill that I will ensure ya we’re not making a “lazy pick” if the selection is Vea.

THAT STATED, I don’t believe we’re taking Vea @ R1P11. But should we trade down, that’s a whole different story.

Also, I think Godshow is a starter and would be on other teams too. He earned it. Phillips is a starting DT as well and like said above they rotate them. Suh took a ton more snaps than he should have but for $1,065,000 per TACKLE you have to have him out there.

Gotta wonder if Godchaux ate off of Suh being constantly double-teamed. Not taking ANYTHING away from Godchaux, but it’s something that should be pondered.

Sorry it was only $597,196.29 per tackle. I based the first off of his contract, not what he actually took home, before taxes.

we’ll need to either draft 4 LBers or sign them as UFA’s, we will need at least 10 at the start of training camp. i’m thinking LBer all the way at 11, and hope 4 QBs go before 11 which will insure one will be there at 11.

While I have a mini-man crush on Poona Ford, I think it’s a LOT more likely we draft a space-eating DT to spell Jordan Phillips. As such, I highly doubt we target DaRon Payne.

MF13 I was very sensitive to what I perceived as a waste with the Suh signing. I have always thought it was a bad decision so I watched him a lot. it is a myth that he was double teamed on every play. Teams did work him a lot but they neutralized him in a lot of other ways too.

I thought it was a wa$te, too. Not Suh the player, but for what he was $igned to by Tannenbaum.

Nevertheless, I think we need to be looking for a space-eating DT to replace Suh at some point… preferably not so early.

I want us to want to draft Poona too just so we can have a poona on the field.

I’ll always remember Ray Lewis saying this, I just can’t recall which year it was exactly (it was in the mid-2000s, while playing under the Rex Ryan 4-3 D as a MLB), but he was coming off a very unproductive season…

Paraphrasing: I need somebody up front who’s going to eat some space, allowing me to get to the ball-carrier faster. I need to play at a lighter weight, and the guys up front need to be heavier.

Translation: we need somebody who can COMMAND double-teams by size and level of play… somebody who can spell (or eventually even replace) Jordan Phillips.

Just something to chew on as Draft day draws ever nearer. It doesn’t HAVE to be Vita Vea… for there are other prospects that can eat space in later rounds.

97. naplesfan2010 says:

I would prefer Da’Ron Payne to any other DT except Maurice Hurst only because of his heart condition. Da’Ron has the enforcer mean streak we need, and he’s not just some huge hunk of meat. He benched 400 in high school (Vea is also very strong as in 40 reps in the combine.)

My point is we have a gaping hole at DT.
    We only have a few of them on the roster and none are a threat to get in the pro-bowl.

Our biggest needs are DT, TE, PK, RB, and LB. Draft them in your favorite order, but we NEED more talent in those positions immediately. (Also FS imho)

We are not NFL competitive at DT, TE, PK and we are one injury away from deep trouble @ RB.
    LB is a chronic soft spot, and we have even less FS with Michael Thomas in the Meadowlands.

Naples,

AGREED that we’ve gotta address DT at some point in this Draft.

mf13ss says:
    April 23, 2018 at 7:38 pm
    —————————————
    Poona is a NT prospect?
    How much more space do you want to EAT?

I count 5 BPA that should be available before Vea!
    IMHO

It’s like the Landry deal. I’m fine with shedding or not paying huge contracts, but that doesn’t diminish what the player did on the field. Suh made a big difference. He, like Landry, made us better. All the other BS is just a waste of air.

Because they are gone!
      and we can’t let go!
      it’s just a fart in the wind!

• naplesfan2010 says:

The only way to make shedding big salary deals like that is if you can replace the player with the rookie version of the same player.
      That’s the way to handle the modern era FA world. Draft well, keep them as long as you can afford them, and then cut ’em and draft their rookie replacements.
      College is a never-ending Pipeline of cheap talent.

I’d like to draft them the year before!
        But that means you will have to hit most of your picks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• naplesfan2010 says:

yes ideally that would be best …the less draft-day desperation the better.

wyoming85 says:
    April 23, 2018 at 8:58 pm
    Poona is a NT prospect?
    How much more space do you want to EAT?
    ————–
    At 6’0″, 306, Poona projects as a 4-3 DT at the NFL level, Wyoming; forget that he played NT at times in college at Texas.

But I’ll say this about Poona: at least he has experience in taking on double-teams. And that’s one of the reasons I REALLY like him. I think he’s a sleeper in this Draft class, man!

Anybody have an opinion on Folorunso Fatukasi, DT, UConn???

I never said this before, because I always backed up Suh’s numbers with the fact that he was doubled so frequently, but his sacks rarely came from inside. He got most playing DE.