Miami Dolphins Offense 2018

While significant changes were made to the defense, the same could be said for the offense as well.  Gone is the sometime misfiring spark plug #14 WR Jarvis Landry.  Also gone via retirement is TE Anthony Fasano.  Oh, also gone, thankfully, is #6 Jay Cutler, who was kind enough to play for Adam Gase one more time to the tune of $10M.  In addition to Cutler evacuating the QB spot, long time Dolphins backup Matt Moore finally made his exit after 7 seasons.  Former pro bowl center  Mike Pouncey was released after 7 seasons and 3 pro bowls.  So those are the departees, let’s now take a look at all the players who have joined the Miami Dolphins offense.

Maybe the largest acquisition, both in size and importance was signing LG Josh Sitton in FA.  The 4 time pro bowler should really solidify the left side of the line, and his presence alone should make our young LT Laremy Tunsil a better player.  Tunsil will learn from Sitton, as well as benefit from better play aside him.  Sitton is an excellent pass blocker, and will open holes for the run game as well.  After the release of C Mike Pouncey, the Dolphins wasted no time in trading for SF 49ers starting C Daniel Kilgore.  Whether Kilgore is an upgrade over Pouncey remains to be seen, but we do know he will be practicing with his linemates from OTA’s all the way to the preseason, which is a good thing.  Kilgore may actually be a better run blocker than Pouncey, so that should help our run game.   We picked up the 5th YR option on RT Ja’Wuan James, so that just leaves the RG spot up for grabs between veteran Ted Larsen, up and comer Jesse Davis and last year’s 5th RD pick Isaac Asiata.

The Dolphins decided to fill the WR corps with a couple of veterans, one a long time veteran in WR Danny Amendola,  the other a younger and ascending player in WR Albert Wilson.  Amendola, a 9 year veteran who played his last 5 seasons with the Patriots is well known to Dolphins fans.  One of those irritating smaller, quicker WR’s who we can never seem to cover well,  Amendola is also a very clutch big game performer.  Amendola really shined in the playoff spotlight, so we can only hope he can help us if we should reach that high.  Albert Wilson is on the rise, albeit a low grade rise, but Wilson had his best season last year for the Chiefs.  Another smaller, speedy WR who like Amendola, will play more in the slot, his YPR are at 12.5, which is 2.5YPR higher than Jarvis Landry.  Wilson has 4.4 speed, so he will add some speed to the middle of the field, and give safeties and LBs fits.

At the RB position, we signed long time veteran RB Frank Gore, who spent his last 3 season with the Indianapolis Colts, after spending 10 years, no typo, with the 49ers.  Gore has a lot of wear on his treads, but those reconstructed knees just keep going, and his wish was to finish his career in Miami, where it all started for him at the U of M.  Gore joins last year’s standout RB Kenyan Drake, and in the draft in RD 4, we added even more firepower, drafting big back Kalen Ballage out of Arizona St.  This big back moves very well, running a 4.46 and has very reliable hands and catches the ball extremely well.  That basically gives us a stable of backs that can catch the ball out of the backfield, which is precisely what HC Adam Gase wants.

Saving the best for last, the Miami Dolphins finally addressed the TE position!  I’ll say it again, it felt so good, the Dolphins finally addressed the TE position, doubling down in the draft.  In RD 2, the Dolphins selected the most athletic TE in the draft, Penn State TE Mike Gesicki (JERSEY STRONG!).  In RD 4, the Dolphins selected Notre Dame standout Durham Smythe.  This gives the Dolphins just what they have missed for far too long.  Gesicki, a super fast athletic receiving TE who can sky for the ball, a vertical leap over 41″ to be that seam busting TE and a nightmare to cover in the red zone.  Durham Smythe is a fine receiving TE as well, but he’s also a dependable in line blocking TE, who will replace Anthony Fasano.  I can’t wait to see this duo out on the field, terrorizing opposing defenses like our defense always has been.

OK, maybe I didn’t really save the best for last, but I’m very pleased that #17, Ryan Tannehill will be back this season.  He’s worked very hard to get back in the game, rehabbing for nearly 2 years.  As HC Adam Gase stated, Tannehill has remained right on top of things,  learning every nuance of the offense, understanding better the offense, and he will get his hands back on the reins of this offense this season.  I know he has detractors, but I’m a fan, and I really hope he can begin this season playing at the level he left off at in 2016.  I think he was playing his best football, and the TD numbers were down due to the extremely slow start the team had in the first 5 games.  Tannehill was balling, and if he could pick up where he left off, I like our chances for the playoffs with this newly constructed roster.

There’s an awful lot to be optimistic about this season, despite what the Vegas oddsmakers say.    Robert Quinn, Cam Wake, Charles Harris and Andre Branch getting after the QB.  Finally, a trio of competent LB’s with Raekwon McMillan manning the middle, surrounded by Kiko Alonso and Stephone Anthony, and mix in Jerome Baker on passing downs.  A legit deep safety, Minkah Fitzpatrick, who can cover anywhere and everywhere on the field, which allows thumper and robber Reshad Jones to make plays closer to the LOS.  A big safety who can come up and cover on passing downs, T.J. McDonald, and tackle like a LB, even if they don’t call him one.  A defensive line rotation with 8 competent guys who will be rotating much more frequently to keep everyone fresher.  Some good young corners, Cornell Armstrong and Jalen Davis to enter the mix, with our own CB/WR returning from injury, Tony Lippett, along with starters Xavien Howard and Cordrea Tankersley.

Just imagine if Devante Parker ever decides to be the WR we all hoped like hell he would be for the Dolphins.  Add in Amendola, Wilson, Gesicki, Smythe and the trio of RB’s, and this offense could take off.  I really believe there is something to look forward to this season, something way beyond 4 wins.  It’s time for Tannehill to step up to that elusive next level, but I think we have the pieces in place to help him get there.  A better O-line, a much less predictable offense that won’t be reliant on one player, and so many different personnel formations to run with confidence, 2 TE’s, 3 WR’s, a RB in the slot, 4 WR’s, whatever, we can do it all.  Be optimistic, but cautiously optimistic.  I don’t want anyone to go off the deep end.  GO DOLPHINS!!!

682 Responses to Miami Dolphins Offense 2018

1. naplesfan2010 says:

Mike E is the most front and center guy I think.
    Is that Piggy mostly obscured behind Mike E?

2. naplesfan2010 says:

ohhh noooo the dreaded page turn . Sorry guys. My bad.

Naples — come to the freaking Fest and you won’t have to ask questions about who is who in pics. If it helps any though…I’m the woman in coral talking to Ken. 🙂

• naplesfan2010 says:

I knew that, Stanger. You’re the other female on the blog besides herd, right?

LOL, you serious Clark?

• naplesfan2010 says:

excuse me…I meant to say Yes Sir.
        And that was very kind of you to offer to buy me a ticket as an incentive.
        I am really planning to be there this year.
        Please let me know how to pay you for my 2 tickets.

Naples — it is all honor system….always worked before. And this will be like the eight Fest. Just bring cash for your extra ticket ($65). Does anyone on the board have your e-mail to help coordinate?

4. 13kvFINS says:

BOOKMAN, THANKS FOR THE VISIT 😁 !!!

Suggested to the Shout Gang to visit the MOB/via this link…

You Gyz be nice to my people, (if’Ya see a stranger appear),
    PLEASE/THANKYOU!!!

GOFINS!!!

What is this about?

• 13kvFINS says:

Knight

You all showed us/me love,
        So I returned the kindness,

Offered up the MOB link via the Shout,

GOFINS!!!

• 13kvFINS says:

Not that you Gyz need it 😜

Don’t worry, none of’Em will mess with your game,
        (If they even visit)…

Unlike myself on the Dolphins,
        they’re a reserved bunch (for the most part)!!!

GOFINS!!!

• 13kvFINS says:

Especially once the draft is complete!!!

For those asking about Koa Misi…

After being placed on IR last season, he defaulted to a FA this season… I thought he had another year on his contract, but he doesn’t. He’s officially a FA, and he’s likely to retire.

naplesfan2010 says:
    May 21, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Hey Rock which one are you in that picture?

white #17 orange cap

13Kvfins, I think an admin needs to clear a poster the first time? I’m not sure, but I think I remember that when I got locked out of my word press account (e-mail address used became defunct) and had to create a new one.

• 13kvFINS says:

Thanx Rock, Yea I know…

Kind of a reserved group (for the most part).
      Pretty much disappear after the draft,
      And I’d doubt that many will comment here,
      But figured that you Gyz showed us some love,
      And deserve some in return!!!

Been mentioning you Gyz since way back when,
      Been talking with a few of’Em via FB lately bout the MOB,,
      And offered up the link again today at a few of your people’s request…

They won’t be spunky enough to mess with what Ya’all got here,
      Even if one were, you guys are on it!!!

Maybe you Gyz can fix Polly, LOL, love her but she’s a stubborn granny who’s been severely broken via Miami!!!

Lives in Buff, believes all the Buff papers who are paid to berate AFC East rivals… She won’t visit here though, or who knows, maybe she will with hopes that the MOB will think as she does..

This place is too fast paced for most Shoutsters,
      A normal day of MOB comments count
      takes an entire draft weekend at the Shout..

Think we had like 200 to 300 draft weekend comments
      Which wore’Em all out and pushed’Em into sleepy time hibernation…

I got bored so figured I drop in to stay/say high,
      And see how Ya’all been!!!

GOFINS!!!

8. naplesfan2010 says:

Stanger and everyone else,
    timnovels@gmail.com … LOL I know (sorta all that was left)
    This is an e-mail I have for the various blogs, etc. that I visit.

I’d love to be in the loop, so I don’t miss any of the fun you guys always mention.
    Anyone on here is free to just copy me when you know
    where the Friday concert by Dog and Mike will be, etc.
    PS:
    Was browsing for shuttle or other such transport from hotel to stadium,
    but could not find anything but party buses, which would be fine but are not cheap.

Ha and your name is Tim! LOL

I should probably just change my handle to Knight. That’s what Tinshaker and a few others called me. Let’s make that happen. Knight is more handle like, Tim is not my name and I’ve found it weird for some time but just rolled with it.

“Was browsing for shuttle or other such transport from hotel to stadium”…..hotel comes first. Trip to the stadium is easy. Know you said were having problems before. You set with a room?

9. naplesfan2010 says:

The Chargers are hoping veteran kicker Caleb Sturgis — signed in March — will bring some desperately needed stability to one of the game’s most important (and underappreciated) positions.

there’s my kicker! I predicted we would draft him and even got the round right.

• naplesfan2010 says:

I wish we had never let him go.
        Darr as well.
        Really don’t understand letting Darr go.
        Then again, i hated letting Fields go.

Naples, check the link below from the week after our first victory over the Texans ever. That is my favorite fest so far.

I must say though, the Green Bay fans were the politest of them all.

From Left, Piggy(is that a pig in your pocket or are you happy to see me?), GetterDone, Brian, Son

LOL

• naplesfan2010 says:

hilarious …
      always hated contemplating pig in a blanket,
      now you’ve made it worse.

Well thanks for the pix … I am cranked to party with you guys,
      although I’m not exactly one of the cool kids.
      I’m old so I’m real mellow … like OD.

Yeah, I hate the “left footer” thing if that is the real reason the let Darr go. He was way better than Haack

13. naplesfan2010 says:

Yes my name is not actually Naples either, Tim, so I know what you mean.
    I’m probably breaking some sort of trademark the city has every time I post.
    Don’t care.
    Call me Naples. I like representing the Dolphins West Coast fanbase.
    We have a Bokampers here, so we’re legit.

Do you have your hotel res set up? Given how short your drive is that is the one to worry about at this point.

Naples:
    The guy in the white Tannehill jersey is Rock

15. naplesfan2010 says:

I have a hotel room. Not far from the stadium.
    But of course I would show up at any night club
    or dive bar you guys are gonna be rockin.
    I know my way around Dade/Broward,
    but i’ve never lived there per se.

KV – Let me know if any of your pals come by here and are awaiting moderation. Just the first post has to be approved, and then they’re on their way, but there are times I’m not paying attention to check to see if any comments are waiting to be moderated. Thanks KV, appreciate it brother! 🙂

ROCKPHIN: I checked back in time back to May 12 and found out I ONLY have a bet against PHELONIUSPHISH (9:08 pm) THAT IF mIAMI WINS A PLAYOFF GAME, I OWE “phish” $100. If Miami does NOT win a playoff game this season, he owes ME $50. I could NOT find a record of any bet with you.
    ——————————
    HOWEVER, if you are in a betting mood, I’ll offer you the same bet I made with PHISH!! Let me know by 8:00 PM tomorrow. If you don’t respond, I’ll assume you are not betting.
    ——————————
    BTW< I DO BELIEVE that Miami will NOT win a playof game as long as Ross owns the team. But I'd NEVER bet beyond one year because I DON'T KNOW IF I WILL OUTLIVE ROSS'S OWNERSHIP PERIOD. Shit, the old billionaire could live to be 105!!! And I'm really sure I WON'T!

Your bet with Phelon was the only one I remembered (and nice one on your part)……so maybe my mind isn’t slipping after all. 🙂

My odds would be 2-1 just to make the playoffs.

18. naplesfan2010 says:

OD
    I do remember that you have frequently said you thought we’d never win a playoff game as long as Ross owns the team, and I do remember Rock disputing that at one point. Whether you guys shook on a bet for a specific dollar figure, that I am not so sure of.

It’s a hurly burly blog sometimes.

19. naplesfan2010 says:

I don’t remember the name off-hand, Stanger,
    but it is not very far from Hollywood Beach,
    like a mile south, more towards Sunny Isles.
    I thought we could just walk up to Margaritaville
    and hang with you all there, if that is not too presumptuous.

Assume you can just look up the reservation and see where you made it. And Sunny Isles is way, way far away. Just trying to help you man…….but then just before you said you had a place near the stadium. If you need help just let us know.

• naplesfan2010 says:

k
        will research that … maybe i am misinformed or misrepresenting myself.
        Thanks for all the effort to set me straight.
        So what property is the “host” or key address I should be homing in on?

Where is your reservation that you made now? Both as to location and price range that would help. Very familiar with the area and you have gone from near the stadium to down towards Sunny Isle on the same reservation. No offense but makes me wonder if you had one. More than willing to help you set up right though.

I’m NO betting man, but if I were, I’d side with Old Dolfan on the bet (that we won’t make the playoffs this year). That doesn’t make me less a fan (nor does it Old Dolfan), it’s just realistic. Just my $.02.

And so NOW y’all know why I don’t do fantasy football or bet… I could NEVER root against our team!!!

GO PHINS!!!
      HELL YEAH!!!

• naplesfan2010 says:

I also neither bet nor play fantasy football.
        Betting money means I might lose the money, which I would hate so much, it’s not worth the risk.
        Fantasy football seems like a worthless expenditure of energy to me, but for guys who like it, I’m fine with them doing it.

I’m with ya, Naples. To each their own… but it isn’t for me.

21. naplesfan2010 says:

per PFF
    Tannehill might not be an elite signal-caller, but he has produced a PFF grade between 80.9 and 85.1 every season of his career so far. That will put you among the top 50 percent of quarterbacks in the NFL every season, and with enough help around him, he gives you a chance to win. The Dolphins have made additions on offense, adding guard Josh Sitton who has allowed just 18 total pressures on 856 pass-blocking snaps over the past two seasons and slot receiver Albert Wilson. Wilson replaces Jarvis Landry who dominated out of the slot, but Wilson was no slouch, producing a PFF grade of 77.1 and he will have the opportunity to flourish in the Dolphins system.

There is SO much up in the air right now… some of which can be viewed as VERY positive(!), some of which can be viewed with skepticism.

IF our projected starters on the O-Line gel quickly, I think Tannehill will execute very well. However… we can’t pretend that Tannehill’s last meaningful snap under Center wasn’t nearly 2 years ago.

I choose to look at it with POSITIVITY!

Landry is like a knat, very active, but doesn’t accomplish much. I believe he held the offense back at times, but wit that 2017 OL…

• naplesfan2010 says:

That’s a cool analogy.
        I just think getting Wilson/Amendola is the key.
        If the FO had said oh shit …they are too expensive, let ’em go
        and did not replace them,
        then i’d be more worried.
        But Wilson is very fast and a very productive slot WR
        and Amendola is VERY hard to cover, very experienced at the highest level
        and Drake is an even better RB than Ajayi,
        and we got HoF GORE and Ballage to help him out.
        so really only the loss of Suh scares me.
        I am sad to see Jarvis go (and Ajayi) (and Suh)
        but all 3 are a little hard to root for with all that sass
        and free-lancing they put on tape.

• 13kvFINS says:

I agree with both Steve & Naples !!!

GOFINS!!!

Getter done OD, I want to see your Lightning in the finals.

I think you guys are going to take the cup. It’s been pretty amazing to see an expansion team gel so fast into such an excellent team.

My Blues went to the cup their expansion year, but that was with a losing regular season record, got hot in the playoffs, then lost in 4 in the finals. The Knights are actually a really good team.

23. naplesfan2010 says:

well Sunny Isles Beach is twice as close to Hard rock Stadium as Margaritaville hotel in Hollywood is. But both are close. 7 and 14 miles by google maps

and the 2 hotels are about 5-6 miles apart, both right on A1A on the front beach,
    which is a beautiful drive to make.

May 21, 2018 at 8:20 pm

My odds would be 2-1 just to make the playoffs.
    ———————–

Agreed, I would take the 2-1 to make the playoffs bet as well. I would want 5-1 to take the bet we win a playoff game. I have mad respect for Phelon making that bet though. He is a staunch supporter who is simply backing up his words with action.

naplesfan2010 says:
    May 21, 2018 at 9:08 pm
    That’s a cool analogy.
    I just think getting Wilson/Amendola is the key.
    If the FO had said oh shit …they are too expensive, let ’em go
    and did not replace them,
    then i’d be more worried.
    But Wilson is very fast and a very productive slot WR
    and Amendola is VERY hard to cover, very experienced at the highest level
    and Drake is an even better RB than Ajayi,
    and we got HoF GORE and Ballage to help him out.
    so really only the loss of Suh scares me.
    I am sad to see Jarvis go (and Ajayi) (and Suh)
    but all 3 are a little hard to root for with all that sass
    and free-lancing they put on tape.
    ——————–
    Agreed with pretty much all of this. As long as Amendola stays healthy, he’ll produce. And Wilson will as well. Love our stable of backs. And hopefully we finally have some TEs that can produce in the passing game.

Really, my only concern about our offense this year, assuming we stay healthy, is if the oline will be improve, and if Tanny can run the quick read, progression offense Gase wants to run.

I’d be frontin’ like I’m Darth Vader at first (breathing apparatus)… and then when the great white gets near me… I’d turn into Jar-Jar Binks… and the water would turn $#!t-brown.

• 13kvFINS says:

LOL, ME TOO, want zero to do with Jaws!!!

Surfed CA Red Triangle for 25 years when a fearless youth, watched too many Great White Documentaries since turning 40 twenty years ago!!!

“””Water would turn poop brown””” indeed nowadays!!

Naples, we always have a shuttle to take us to and from the game. Get as close to Margaritaville as you can. Phindog, me and others stay at Neptunes which is close and where we’ll be on Friday night but hopefully on the beach. Last year it was windy and rainy but we still had a great time.

I think the talent at RB, TE and the addition of Amendola, Wilson and the progress of Grant, you won’t miss Landry. He’s not a game changing player. I once thought he was, 4 seasons told us he’s a durable, reliable and high motor guy, good player not great worth elite money.

The only player we can’t replace is Suh. But as Mike has said the defense never took that jump with him.

The coaches lead by Gase were no longer into babying Pouncey at the expense of the team both physically and monetarily.

Ajayi, let that one go, that was in-season for reasons we all know.

This team is on Gase. That’s his job though. LOL

29. 13kvFINS says:

Fricken long time Dolphin basher LaCanfora I got LaCanForya

NitWitt

“”””Tier 6: Good Luck

2017: Bortles

2018: Bradford, Tannehill

Both of these guys generally miss far more games than they play, they tend to tease with a flash here or there, but then leave you longing. If you are believing in them, you are probably fooling yourself, and I fell for it a year ago with Tannehill, knowing how highly Adam Gase thought of him and what great work he has done with quarterbacks in the past. But I’m a skeptic now “”””

Why, cuz he’s had ONE F’ing injury in his career, (after starting some 78 consecutive while being beat down like no other in history over first 3-4 years
    via however many regimes/OC’s/schemes/OL’s etc!!!

GASE IS STILL HERE, AND RYAN TANNEHILL IS HEALTHY, IDIOT!!!

Tier 3 (rising star) Luck #1 overall pick has missed far more games/time,
    while without looking, I doubt his career stats (other than having playoff appearances) are that much better the THill..

Tier 4 (can win with) Case Keenum over THill… WTF LA Can For Ya !!!

Tier 5 (veterans/place holders), old, older, and oldest Flacco ain’t done Nada since Ray Lewis left, Dalton, Eli, & McConnell over THill via Gase.. STFU Jason!!!

GOFINS!!!

• 13kvFINS says:

McConnell is McCown

Wow, if you’re going to dislike Tanny, at least dislike him for something that isn’t patently false. Tanny detractors have some arguably legitimate concerns. No need to phone it in with BS. Generally misses more than plays, smh. La Canfora is an idiot.

• 13kvFINS says:

I believe that with THill getting a different perspective that he will have a farr better idea of the who, what, where, when, and why’s required of the position!!!

A perspective that most of success have had the advantage of prior to being thrown into the fire!!!

A perspective that a 1.5 year collegiate starter should have been graced with initially, (but we had no other option)!!!

He was beginning to see the light pre-injury,
        and now has a second year in the system
        while being surgically attached to Gase’ ear!!!

Totally Healthy, he’s gonna go off in o18 !!!

GOFINS!!!

Lazor & Philbin (who didn’t even allow THill in on game planning etc, etc)!!!

No wonder he was stunted!!!

His college QB coach who came with Sherman & THill to Miami as his QB coach (can’t recall his name/brain fart)
        was a kid relatively the same age as THill, and I believe that he remained the QB coach till Gase, (if not almost till Gase)!!!

What the hell could that QB coach have known about developing his peer/friend THills into an NFL QB!!

No F’n wonder he was stunted!!!
        Different OC/scheme every however many years, to boot!!!

GO THILL
        GOFINS!!!

31. naplesfan2010 says:

ok Stanger I changed to Hollywood.
    Thank you.

32. naplesfan2010 says:

from MF’s source:
    ▪ Why does Ryan Tannehill have a good chance to come out of the box strong this season, presuming his surgically repaired left knee holds up?

Based on last year’s stats, no quarterback arguably will face a worse collection of pass defenses over the first three months of the season than the Dolphins.

As Warren Sharp of Sharp Football pointed out, the Dolphins “face the NFL’s easiest schedule of pass defenses in Weeks 1 through 12.”

What’s more, “the Dolphins also face a difficult run-defense slate during that stretch, enhancing their need to rely on the… passing game.”

Consider: Of Miami’s first 12 opponents, 10 of them ranked 20th or lower in pass defense last season.

33. ElephantRider says:

I however am part of the elephant calvary. Why you guys use aliases is beyond me….

naplesfan2010 says:
    May 21, 2018 at 10:12 pm
    ok Stanger I changed to Hollywood.
    Thank you.
    _____________________________
    my home town….. great memories!

15 weeks till kick-off

Stanger – I was awful last year, Rob doesn’t include me in his worries. I think I should practice like Rob said

You have a pool table at home right?

You can play some, but more play means getting your stuff down. But you do it just cause you like to play. And what do Rob and I have in common?…….have both owned pool tables. My old one and the grill are what miss most from the old house. Sure don’t miss the first wife. 🙂

I was kind of hoping we would have snagged the UF kicker pair that the Raiders actually took. Eddie Pinero and Johnny Townsend. Townsend has held for Pinero during his time at UF so they are in sync and Townsend kept us in games flipping field position, sad when your punter and PK are the heroes of your team but they were last year lol.

Tim – Yeah, my kids or my wife never want to play pool with me, so if I play, I alone.

Good way to practice, take all the shots.

My pool table used to be like my therapist. You can’t make shots consistently unless you are relaxed. When stuff was bothering me would go play until I could make shots.

Not final yet but the owners are changing up how they award Super Bowls. Instead of doing bids for each one they are talking about setting up a regular rotation that would be Miami along with Las Vegas, Los Angeles and either Arizona or New Orleans. Exceptions to that like yeah building that new stadium will still get you one, but looking like gonna be a lot of SBs at Hardrock.

PFF MIA Dolphins

@PFF_Dolphins
    Following Following @PFF_Dolphins
    More PFF MIA Dolphins Retweeted 560 WQAM
    #Dolphins RBs yards after contact per attempt the last 2 seasons:

2016 – Jay Ajayi – 3.5 (2nd in NFL)
    2017 – Kenyan Drake – 4.3 (1st in NFL)

Wyo opening up a can of worms. LOL

• bookman11 says:

LOL…no kidding!

I hope this year “yards after contact” means he has already gained 3-4 yards before contact, instead of none, or minus 2.
      Lets go OL!

May 22, 2018 at 12:55 pm

insert ORob for beetlejuice 3X’s.

You and your bud made hotel reservations? Earlier the better and glad to offer what advice I can.

Stanger,
    Not yet, I am going to talk to him about it this weekend.

Steve:

Sorry I missed your visit. If I read your email correctly you were here Mother’s Day weekend. I was out of town at my Mom’s from Thursday-Sunday.
    ☹️

Hey Skipper??????

@PFF_Dolphins
    Following Following @PFF_Dolphins
    More PFF MIA Dolphins Retweeted 560 WQAM
    #Dolphins RBs yards after contact per attempt the last 2 seasons:

2016 – Jay Ajayi – 3.5 (2nd in NFL)
    2017 – Kenyan Drake – 4.3 (1st in NFL)

stats are bullshit……PFF is bullshit…..I use my eyes….Drake can’t be a bellcow, Ajayi is better…we are in trouble if we rely on Drake on first downs…

I don’t understand the whole 1st down thing. If you don’t think Drake can be the bell cow that’s one thing, but down has nothing to do with anything.

52. ElephantRider says:

Yeah, but which QB you want out there on 1st down?

ahhhh man, Baker is the new double nickel?

Cool! Classic LB number and he adds sideline to sideline speed at the position we needed. The LB group will be quite different with McMillan back and the addition of his college teammate Baker. He might turn out to be a really good pick.

I don’t understand it either Tim, You would have to ax ORob. From what he says if we use Drake on first down we are going to have bad down and distance to overcome and we will be doomed. DOOOOOMED he says!

I understand why ORob values the running game, I do too as do most of us. Drake is a 3 down back and the team believes is ready to bust out. He did last year when he got the opportunity, now he heads into 2018 as no secret and part of the game plan. I don’t care how the rushing attempts get split up and it will be different game to game. As long as they’re productive that’s all that matters.

Don’t be surprised if Drake has over 50 receps this year, he had 32 last year in basically half a season. He’s a receiving weapon out of the backfield and lined up wide or slot.

Shit Philly lost a LB to a knee and cut another one the same day? Mychal Kendricks must suck huh?

Kendricks started 13 games for the eagles last year

Don’t know why they waived him

Odd move

Saved $6M in cap space for a player they’ve been trying to trade for whatever reason.

You would think a team that just won the super bowl would be okay with taking some financial hits while they make their run

That’s the time to do it, you’re on top. The fans are easy to please.

No worries Herd. I don’t know why WV gets a bad rap, it’s a beautiful state, and that capital, with the gold dome magnificent.

• herdfan says:

Back in the day when I worked there, they were refurbishing the gold leaf on it. They had this big cover over the spire. At the same time several state officials were being investigated for fraud. It became known as the con-dome. 😂

• herdfan says:

I wish I had known sooner you would be here. I could at least have recommended some places to go.

We weren’t thete long, just over night, then to the capital in morning and left. We did get to see the dome lit up on Saturday night.

Who’s your sleeper from the draft and why? First two picks don’t count, they’re suppose to be impact players.

Tim – I think Ballage will be a bigger part of the offense at times. There are always injuries, even minor injuries hamper guys and others get opportunities. He’s my sleeper

64. naplesfan2010 says:

After reading the link Rock put up …
    At the risk of sounding silly, that article actually understates how good Tannehill could actually be.
    Through most of his career, he was the guy with the most responsibility for offensive production.
    Of course he’s the QB, but you know how it is when your team needs a score and you know it’s on you and the defense knows it’s you they have to prevent.
    multiply times 90% of the whole season.

That’s why the year with Ajayi we ripped off a 9-2 run. At least Tannehill was free to be as great as he can be without having to compensate for mediocrity around him. Sure Lamar Miller was good in some games, and a few other times guys stepped up, but not a lot.

You look at what is going out in the patterns this year. Speed, catch radius, moves, height, and more speed. Take it to the house threats x2 @ RB, x5 @ WR, + probably the fastest TE in the league.

Forget looking at that banquet from Ryan’s side. Think how that is going to look to the Defenses. No more “OK everybody meet at the sitting duck QB, cuz most the targets can’t get open and even if they do, we can run ’em down or cut ’em off @15 – 20 yds.”

Now if they leave any of about 8 guys open, they pay with a quick 6. The mantra this year for those defending Miami will be “forget piling on the QB, you gotta cover your man or line up for a PAT coming.”

fingers crossed

You made a good point and I’ve been saying the same thing. The overall team speed is better in 2018. If the OL and overall blocking is solid, we should score often. Too many playmakers to just plod along.

65. naplesfan2010 says:

OMG
    Do you guys see that pic of Frank Gore above?

THAT’S WHAT Hall of Fame LOOKS LIKE!

Tim – The Mets signed Jose Bautista to a 1YR contract. He’s batting 5th and playing LF tonight. We pounce on MLB carrion faster than a vulture!

67. naplesfan2010 says:

Poling is my sleeper .he’ll get an INT and become a ST ace.
    Besides,..
    I already know everybody else drafted will be great.

I think Poling pushes Hull and Baker pushes Anthony for a roster spot or playing time. Alonso and McMillan are going to play a lot. Allen gives us some size and range and proved to be a quality backup and STs performer. We have 10 LBs competing for I’d say 6 spots.

Pro Football Focus rated Kendricks the ninth-best linebacker in the league last season – 13th against the run and 26th against the pass.

HUH? That math doesn’t work…..

And of the selection of tight end Mike Gesicki, Brooks said: “Love it, love it. Does a great job of winning his matchups in the red zone. He’s going to play on the outside, he’s going to play in the slot. He’s one of these new age tight ends. He’s going to wear out linebackers and defensive backs with his athleticism.”

HOPE SO! I want to see linebackers puking in our endzone!

He’s a mismatch nightmare. Who covers him? People talk about him not being an in-line blocker and also how to replace Landry? He should replace a lot of Landry targets. Hopefully he improves as a blocker in time but he was a 2nd rd pick because of his size, speed and athletic ability as a dynamic pass catching TE.

May 22, 2018 at 6:31 pm

That’s easy!
    Durham Smythe #46 is going to be starting and playing a lot of snaps this year and is going to move the chains and score!

I read him saying he really wants to work on that weakness and become an all around TE (like Smythe already is….) which is very encouraging.

Smythe is NICE, but there’s a reason why Gesicki went 2 rounds before even Smythe.

There is more competition at every position this year. How it all plays out who knows, but there is potential on this team. We have a lot of talented players. I don’t care what anyone says. 🙂

DAMN, look at Jone’s biceps Damn

MF13 I only say shit about Gheysucki to get a rise out of MikeE. LOL I really hope he become the next “Mike Gesicki” (I.e the guy every one else compares TE’s to in the future, like people say “the next Gronk” now.)

I want people to say that Tannehill’s great stats this year are because;
    Smythe catches 6 TD’s
    Gesicki catches 8 TD’s
    Gore catches 4 TD’s
    Stills catches 6 TD’s
    Parker catches 7 TD’s
    Amendola catches 3 TD’s
    Ballage catches 2 TD’s
    Drake catches 4 TD’s
    Grant catches 2 TD’s
    Wilson catches 2 TD’s

(Yes I know that is 42 TD’s, way more than Tannehill has thrown in a season before)

They make cards?

LOL@Naples on Parker. Yeah, that is a lot of TD’s but with the safeties all worried about Gescki he will get a lot of 1 on 1’a now….. (that’s the theory anyway, besides, it’s my lie and I’ll tell it how I want to…) 🙂

78. naplesfan2010 says:

That picture of Gesicki above makes him look like a high school player …
    until I remember he weighs 250.
    Then that pic makes him look terrifying.
    If he looks that skinny at 250,
    then he could play at 270 in a few years.

Is he really only 230 and lying about it?

I am excited to see how our defensive backfield looks this year with so much young talent having another year under their belts. Our Int leader (6) from ’16 coming back to compete with Tank. MAN! We can have a good backfield if they continue to develop.

I hope all three of the guys coming back from season ending injuries last year can come back 100% this year.

McMillan, Lippett and Tannehill were supposed to give us 2-3 more wins last season and got us into the playoffs. I hope they give us 4-5 more wins this year.

You nitwits😁 13th against the run and 26th against the pass could easily add up to 9th. You must be thinking about there only being 32 as the worst, but its more like 150.

Let’s assume the top 8 were the same against the run as the pass, so those would be the top 8 overall, Kendricks is 9th, 10 finishes 10th against the run, but 35th against the pass, then 11th is 15th against the run and 31st against the pass.

Is it starting to make sense or do I need to play some Mr. Rogers?

Rockphin says:
    May 22, 2018 at 7:39 pm

HUH? That math doesn’t work…..
    —————-
    It’s not a simple average. It means there were only 8 LBs who had a better average of the two numbers than he did. (And maybe other factors as MF13 said)

I want to see at least 45 TDs from the offense.

thanks for the “help” with the PFF ratings guys, but I was just cracking wise, but missed I guess… 🙂

Its legit though to think it doesnt make sense, i thought the same thing when i read it, but once I thought about it, it made perfect sense.

Or as my son would say, it makes perfect sense, if you don’t think about it.😉

steveccnv says:
    May 22, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Rock your math skills are…not good. 😁

you are correct, at least when I’m drinking and toking at home. It is 44 TD’s, I’m going to say it was a typo and not a math mistake and throw in it’s my lie and I’ll tell it how I want to.

Steve, I think I like your son. LOL

86. naplesfan2010 says:

Steve I’m planning to be in Vegas in September.
    Is it really as fun as they say?

Depends what you like to do, and how much money you don’t mind parting with, but really there’s something for every budget.

I am going to steel that one from your son Steve. It makes perfect sense if you don’t think about it.

steveccnv says:
    May 22, 2018 at 9:03 pm
    There’s no other factors, that’s MF BS for I don’t know either.
    ——————-
    I take no offense! But what I said was REAL.

I think Mr. Stanger would defer to me on PFF stats and what I know about how they formulate stats.

And for what it’s worth… NO, I don’t like how they formulate stats.

I’m glad you didn’t take offense, because it wasn’t intended that way, it was a joke.

I bet, if you went to PFF, and you looked at the numbers (whatever point system they use) you’d see a simple run rank + pass rank added with lowest score getting the highest overall rank. The other possibility is they do the same with a point system comparable to how yards are used to calculate overall team D.

No one really likes how they formulate stats, they seem to be incomplete.

Other factors could be interceptions, sacks, forced fumbles, passes defended and tackles for loss.

90. ElephantRider says:

Gesicki is really big. Hes gonna be a nightmare matchup with his size and speed. If this team doesnt utilize it…..

Smythe is gonna be an under the radar really good TE.

I’m really looking forward to watching them out there.

91. ElephantRider says:

Let the RT17 turmoil begin.
    Think I’ll just plug my ears, cover my eyes, say ” la la la la la” and wait for season to start

MY DISLIKE FOR STEVE ROSS has taken on a new DARKER, aspect.
    Tonight’s episode of REAL SPORTS WITH BRYANT GUMBEL on HBO will discuss the case of former Gators and Bucs linebacker Scot Brantley, who, for several years, was a popular sports talk radio host here in the bay area. In 2012, he was diagnosed with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Now, 6 years later, he is a shell of his former self. I’ll spare you the awful details of his downward spiral. But he and his wife are unable to pay any of their massive medical bills because the NFL has denied his claims for benefits under the concussion settlement the owners agreed to several years ago. And Brantley IS NOT ALONE!
    ————————-
    IT IS MY OPINION that the owners, as a group, are doing everything they can to deny LEGITIMATE CLAIMS ON THIS ISSUE!! IT kind of reminds of the VA’s treatment of those former service men who are stalled or flat-out denied the benefits they are entitled to. Anyway, this program is on HBO tonight. Watch it and form your own conclusions. I’ve already made my own conclusion. THE OWNERS, AS A GROUP, ARE DEAD WRONG ON THIS ISSUE!!

It’s unfortunate for Brantley, he fell into the category of needing help while in litigation. When you file a lawsuit against someone don’t expect any sympathy.

What needs to happen is the judge needs to step in and release some special case funds.

OD, I’m looking at the same skyline you are, nice day finally.

How retarded, NFL proposing to call 15 yard penalties against players that kneel for the national anthem. Players will just coordinate with opponents to have the same # kneel, while the cheats will somehow find a way to benefit, because none of theirs will kneel.

That should be pretty simple.
      You cost me 15 yards = Half your game check!

Life doesn’t have to be complicated!

great game last night….dubs and rockets…..all tied up

The NFL is a private business, why cant they just fire those who kneel, you want your job? respect that flag.

DONE!

They should just let teams regulate the kneeling through their own handbook rules and fines associated with failure to cmply. This should be a team by team matter not an NFL controlled thing. If a team does not disagree with the kneeling let them do what they want, and if the fans decide its a big enough deal to them, they can seek another team to get behind. This can easily take care of itself, and the more they force stuff like this the more they are going to get people digging in and forcing the issue to regain strength. Let it settle down, let the initial moves go on to make good things happen, stop enciting the asshats to really be asshats.

Shit like this causes the asshats to wind up louder than the guys doing good, and thats probably the biggest travesty of it all.

Dolphins already have the kneeling thing sorted out. You don’t want to stand for the anthem then just hang out in the tunnel until it is over. So a penalty can’t hurt us and would help if players on an opponent go against.

• ocalarob says:

the whole point behind kneeling is to be seen protesting, why stand in a tunnel where you can’t be seen? and what happens to those who break the rules?

You’d have to ask the guys who agreed to it. For whatever reason they did. Way it happened the last half of the season, including at last year’s Fest. But what does the why matter? Problem was solved.

NEW BLOG UP!