2018 Season – Game 14 – Dolphins @ Vikings

WOW!  What an amazing finish to the Dolphins vs Patriots game.  That one easily slots historically among some of the best games I have seen this team play.  Even if we lost this game, we went punch for punch with the Patriots all day long, but we came up with a Rocky II ending.  Not sure if you all noticed, but we scored more than 30 points for the first time in regulation, and we did against the Patriots!  Crazy!

Ryan Tannehill.  Forget about the future, this young man deserves a lot of credit for his toughness and grit he’s displayed this season.  You could see he was hurting, and I admire his resolve to stick it out, and help his team to victory.  He’s been getting beat up all season, but like a Timex, he takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

OK, down to business.  This game, aside from the excitement meant a lot to me as a fan.  These are the games in the last decade that we would crumble and succumb to the pressure of needing to win and stay alive, and this team pulled out a stunner against the TD + favorites New England Patriots.  They were clutch.  They made plays, and they got contributions from the QB.  We were missing arguably our best defensive player (Xavien Howard), and it showed, but we did just enough to win.  I think Gase earned some respect yesterday.  Smoke and mirrors, we’re -55 in points and we’re 7-6.  Crazy!  What we as Dolphins fans have to hope is that this game was a springboard to a playoff run.  If we can beat NE when it counts, then no other game on the schedule is impossible

Despite the fact that it will be about 30 degrees at kickoff next Sunday against the Vikings, the game will be in a domed stadium, US Bank Stadium, so the weather won’t be a factor.  It will definitely be loud, but we can overcome that.  The Vikes have had an up and down season, and they face the Seattle Seahawks this evening in Seattle.  At the moment, the Vikings are 6-5-1, and although they have showed the potential to score, their last 3 games they have scored 20, 24 and 10, and have lost 2 of 3.  Kirk Cousins has done well for the Vikes, but RB Dalvin Cook has been battling injuries, and that leaves the much less explosive Latavius Murray as the lead back.  WR Adam Thielen is totally in sync with Cousins, and they have been one of the best if not the best QB/WR duos in the NFL this season.  Thielen has 98 receptions, 1166 yards and 9 TD’s.  We will desperately need CB Xavien Howard back for this game.

As I said in my blog article this past week, the New England game was a statement game, and the statement was “We’re still in this Dolphins fans, stay with us, keep rooting hard, and something special may happen”

I watched the game at my nephew’s house, and although the video is a little rough, it captured that crazy ending, and your faithful “Crazy Dolphins Fan” again.  It’s just funny. Some moments are just humorous when captured on video.  None of us had any idea we were being videotaped by his little Nest camera.

969 Responses to 2018 Season – Game 14 – Dolphins @ Vikings

It’s over.

That was a very nice throw. ☹️

3. naplesfan2010 says:

NFL QBs will beat you if they have time.

McTyer lets guys run past him too much.

Where was howard on that play?

Gase is always sitting by himself

grumble grumble grumble

GRUMBLE!

Sigh

Okay we’re likely done. Let the hate begin. Really enjoy the hate though, don’t hold back. LOL

7. naplesfan2010 says:

Once again, injuries pile up faster than we can adjust.
    Howard out and McDonald limping.

naples,
    Tanny did not need to throw that ball at Amendola’s feet. He could have just as easily hit him in the chests/hands. 3 feet higher, which in no way risks throwing it into coverage, its probably a TD.
    ***
    Parker had poor position, no doubt. Throw should never have been attempted. Go somewhere else.
    ***
    The OL isn’t helping either…but it’s not all them.

9. naplesfan2010 says:

btw
    I ‘m just going to put this out there.
    I have not seen the real Reshad Jones all year.

This is why you can’t get behind against this defense.

11. naplesfan2010 says:

sack by Jawuan James

Why was James looking at Tannehill instead of looking at the pass rushers

Matt Burke might not be coming home to Miami after this game.

14. naplesfan2010 says:

Where is Vince Taylor when we need him?

It is a pretty sad state of affairs when Vince Taylor is the guy you need

• naplesfan2010 says:

That’s why i wanted to draft a DL last year.
        oh n/m sorry about whining told ya so crap
        Everybody knows the same thing.

Our trench guys just can’t get it done. Too many subs.

James, at times, just looks like his head isn’t in it.

That’s why we need to move on from him. His durability issues and his performance is not worth a big long-term deal.

16. naplesfan2010 says:

McDonald went to plant in the hole and his ankle sagged on him.

17. naplesfan2010 says:

Seems like if everybody in America knows they are going to run the ball after they fired their OC, wouldn’t the DC for Miami plan for that?

Ken,
    It allows them to play their pressure packages and let guys rush. I absolutely agree the OL has struggled today, but getting behind against this defense is a recipe for disaster. They’re just too good.

We got away with a holding call there.

Tannehill just surpassed 100 yards passing for the day!!!

Pull Tannehill NOW. He’s going to get killed out there.

22. naplesfan2010 says:

8 sacks

23. naplesfan2010 says:

The center was supposed to hike the ball.

9 sacks and counting…

This was a team loss today. The D blew early on. The OL is being man handled Tannehill can’t get anything going

This might be the best defense in the league.

27. naplesfan2010 says:

Our OL is falling backwards.
    And yes that was a hit to the head by Sheldon.

28. naplesfan2010 says:

That was a ridiculously generous spot. But at least we don’t get anybody else hurt.

Well we will always have last week

That was one helluva hit that Andre Branch just delivered!

31. naplesfan2010 says:

k well I hope they craft a game plan for the Jags Defense.

Down 21-0 was a really bad start, as depleted and short staffed as we are , I lie that they did not quit and came back to make a game of it .. but again our injuries and bad play all around were too much to overcome.. was good to see Ballagr show some things running

Gase never gave up based on the play calling….. but sure seemed Tanny did. But can’t blame him much after all the hits either.

I thought Tannehill played really tough once again. Never thought he quit he hung in there and took shot after shot

Think he knew was over at the end and played that way. But those kind of games are real hard…. and not just physically.

34. naplesfan2010 says:

well with wins by titans, colts, and ravens, it’s an even bigger loss.

Man, my week is gonna suck.

Ken,
    Is Bortles still starting for the Jags? I thought they benched him.

I feel like it’s going to take at least 2 more draft-classes (likely more) before we’re relevant again… and that’s IF we hit on most players in those draft-classes.

1-6 away and 6-1 at home. The Rock has some kinda magic going on….. and more than just the heat factor.

It was fun while it lasted. We need a miracle now and I for one am not banking on it. We’re too undermanned. Everyone goes down on this team. Whoa… what did I say there? LOL

M13,
    I go back and forth on this defense. I think we have some nice young pieces, but we still play like crap far too often. We struggle to execute simple twist plays sometimes. I thought we were kinda close to being a decent defense…then I’m not so sure.
    ***
    I think the offense has really been hurt by the injuries on the OL. We’ve been playing backups and backups’ backups almost all year. I wish we’d been able to see the starters play all year to give us a better idea of how this OL could perform. Now, we have to wait another year to find that out. Even with that, I think we still need some key skill player upgrades on offense if we’re gonna be a viable playoff team. We simple don’t score enough against good defenses consistently.

Bro, we are consistently inconsistent. Translation: we have a WAYS to go.

I agree that we have some good young pieces, and on both sides of the ball.

I think when healthy we have enough skills players on O. We can argue about QB. However I think it is on both sides of the line that we must focus on. We are just not physical enough on both lines

Naples J Johnson is Washington qb Cody Kessler I believe is still starting for Jax

43. naplesfan2010 says:

Ken says:
    December 16, 2018 at 4:21 pm
    There is no one in this QB class that excites me. Build the lines in this draft and if necessary look for a QB early in 2020

I agree with this. Let’s get our lines fixed so we don’t get our new shiny rookie QB slaughtered and ruined.

I’m always up for drafting OL! But, if you are assuming Kilgore and Sitton will come back as starters next year, what position do you draft? I doubt they’ll draft a guard in the first. RT?

45. naplesfan2010 says:

If we had Wilson and Grant back, we’d have enough offensive weapons.
    We can’t get enough sacks, we can’t stop interior runs, and we can’t get pressure up the middle.

And we blow coverage in the back end too much.

Ken says:
    December 16, 2018 at 4:29 pm
    There will be no Matt Ryan where we are picking in this draft
    ————-
    Don’t think about it as to WHERE we pick in the Draft. Rather, if you are in love with a player (in this case, QB), trade up if necessary.

However, I’ll say that the ’19 QB class isn’t looking too good.

Could always go LB too

Ken,
    I think we still need a difference maker at receiver. Parker just doesn’t seem to be it. Stills is a decent complimentary guy but nothing more. I’m gonna leave the QB thing alone. Lol

I am not totally disagreeing with you. I do think Parker is a disappointment but I think with a healthy Wilson and Grant we would be fine

I say draft a DE in the 1st round. Why?

Wake is waning, Quinn is over-priced and really not that good, Charles Harris is a bust, and Andre Branch makes too much money per his (lack of) production.

50. naplesfan2010 says:

K Go Steelers, even if it is too late for us.

51. naplesfan2010 says:

Also there needs to be a way for Gase to keep those DL honest so they can’t just tee off on our PL every single play. Hot reads, draws, screens whatever that they have to honor. Play action worked a little today early.

Plus our QB could not even walk after last week’s game so you know he was stiff today.

December 16, 2018 at 4:30 pm
    Matters to me M13 — why I brought it up. But am cool if does not to you. Hope OK with you if mentioned though.
    —————
    It’s ALL GOOD(!) for you to feel that way, Bro! I’m just sayin’ that success in your experiences doesn’t necessarily translate to fans who live outside of Florida. As a die-hard, I don’t care WHERE we get wins… just get wins! I want to see us make a Super Bowl run(s) before I die, man!!! 🙂

I think most Phin fans would agree, no?!! 🙂

The difference this year is just stark and hard to miss. And yes some of that is cause have seen the heat advantage at work, but interesting nonetheless. Look at the difference btwn the two Pats games….and I wasn’t at either one.

My theme for the offseason.

Good teams have to be able win on the road not just at home

Just viewed Cam Wake’s post-game presser. I cannot say enough GOOD about that man! I think he should go into coaching after he retires. Such an A+ attitude, a ‘never surrender’ mentality, and he’ll NEVER throw anybody under the bus.

Not like our schedule has been all that easy.

Texans 10-4
    Bears 10-4
    Pats 9-4 (X2)
    Colts 8-6
    Titans 8-6
    Vikes 7-6-1

Stanger,

I know how much you loved Brandon Fields… and same here, he ROCKED! But how about Matt Haack?!! That kid is MOST impressive!

Bigger leg….not as much touch. Would take Fields, but am fine with Haack.

I recall your love of the unsung Punter position, and that you used to play rugby. Once Haack got 2 punts blocked last week and went rugby-style afterward, I instantly thought of you! 🙂

This game was the reality check we needed but I’m hearing some crazy opinions like we don’t need a QB. Physically, Tannehill is 30 going on 38. The guy has been mauled to the point it’s willpower and little else pushing him thru. And willpower alone isn’t enough as evidenced by his missed games the past few years. We need a QB this upcoming year….and next year…and maybe the year after that.

We also need a ton more than QB. Our DL is TERRIBLE. Our OL is TERRIBLE. Our WRs are complimentary which is meh but not the biggest problem Our TEs should be acceptable. Our RBs…good. Our DBs need a CB. Our LBs are ok if we ever get two really good DL. We honestly need to hit on about 10 players over the next two drafts. That’s almost impossible so we need to find FAs that make up the difference. Good luck to us but it starts with a QB.

I’m fine with bringing in a QB, including drafting in the first round. Would be real against either trading up hard in the first or breaking the bank for a FA (and don’t think any big name will be out there anyhow).

• New Age says:

This team doesn’t do well enough in FA to lose those picks. We need a FO that aggressively trades used up and garbage players like Wake, Branch, Quinn, etc instead of overpaying to get and keep them.

Will at least respectfully disagree that Wake is a garbage player, even if for all I know might not be on the team next year. And Quinn has done a fine job, even if might not be here either. Am also against overpaying anyone…so right with you on that one.

WOAH!!! What a play by the Patsies* on that punt, to keep the ball out of the endzone!!!

“According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Kalen Ballage reached 21.87 mph on his 75-yard touchdown run in the third quarter, the fastest top speed by a Dolphins ball carrier in the past three seasons.”

There’s zero doubt that Ballage was flying(!!!) on that run, but I highly, highly doubt he’s topped other ball-carriers like Drake, Stills, or especially Jakeem.

Not doubting you, Stanger… I’m doubting “NFL Next Gen Stats”.

62. BailBondMike says:

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 18: Bryant, Austin, DE, Clemson (B)
    Round 2 Pick 18: Coney, Tevon, ILB, Notre Dame (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 17: McGovern, Connor, C, Penn State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 18: Hyatt, Mitch, OT, Clemson (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 18: Huggins, Albert, DT, Clemson (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 17: Boyd, Kris, CB, Texas (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 13: Hansen, Justice, QB, Arkansas State (A+)

I’d *almost* be willing to trade up for Kentucky’s DE/OLB Josh Allen in the ’19 Draft. He’s likely going in the top-5, so it would be very costly. And yes, I’d obviously play him at the DE position (not LB).

• BailBondMike says:

How many elite (potentially) pass rushing DE’s do you see in the draft. I’m thinking just Allen and Bosa. I know it also depends on who else declares for the draft.

Seems it’s a DEEP class for pass-rushers, but “ELITE”? I’m 100% with ya on Bosa and Allen, man. I don’t want to ‘settle’ for the next Charles Harris.

Ken, we win and lose in the trenches every week. So do most teams. Go 2019! lol

65. BailBondMike says:

This loss hurts but not as much cause I am still reveling in last weeks win. Sucks that playoffs are a very very long shot now.

Hey, Tim! How about your guy Jaylen Samuels this evening?!!

Stanger,

I had Wake as a used up player. I added him to the garbage Branch and maybe a combo of the two in Quinn? Harris probably on the garbage list when his time is up. Our DEs are bad and have been bad for a while. Wake is old and already a role player. The other guys bring almost zero pressure for whatever reason we want to make. Wake hasn’t been top tier in about 3-4 years? He usually piles up his sacks against Jets-like teams.

MF-13, I agree about Allen. Maybe we move up for another type of elite? We need to start hitting more on our picks just because of how far we are from some of these teams.

NICE INT of Tom Lady*!!!

BOOM!!! Down go the Patsies*!!!

That all but takes us out of the playoffs, but it’s always NICE to see the Patsies* lose!

————–
        Like I just said above…

The Pats loss was really bad for the Dolphins playoff hopes, which is all I care about. Smh

I hope Gore’s all right.. got to see some quality time for Ballage…my biggest head scratcher was why they are always late getting out of the huddle, they are barely getting the plays off always snapping the ball at the last second…seems to me if you wait that long the defense knows the snap count as well.

• manitobafinfan says:

Rivers does that the most I have ever seen , seemingly every snap within 1-2 secs left.. I agree it would seem to lean toward giving an edge to D as to when snap is coming

Bookman,

You’re right, NE losing hurt us, but not as much as us losing ourselves. It’s OK, I was hoping we were game today, and we hung in there for a bit, but the thing that scared me was their pass rush, and eventually it was what did us in. I give our team credit this year, were down a lot of guys, but they kept fighting, and gave us a thriller against NE. Now it’s pretty much time to look at next season, which is probably a lot of the reason they didn’t want to take a chance of playing X today. Let him finish this season healthy, and be ready from minicamp next season, no need to ruin him.

Who was the other DL we got from rams who was injured early this year ?? Is he under contract for next year ?

WELL I HAVE TO ADMIT that my self-induced euphoria over “The Miracle In Miami” might have played a role in my decision to take the 7 and 1/2 points and predict a Miami victory. TRUTH IS Tannehill has never been a strong QB when it comes to road games. And our overall talent level (considering all of our injuries) is NOT conducive to consistent road victories, which is a MUST if you are going to be a serious Super Bowl contender! WE ARE WHAT OUR RECORD SAYS WE ARE —- a team very close to the .500 level AND NO MORE.
    ————————–
    AS MUCH as I admire Tanny’s toughness and fortitude, I have to admit he’s NOT a QB that can get us to a Super Bowl. We need to move on to another quarterback. And the BEST way to do that is to draft one in the first round of the 2019 draft. Rounds 2 and 3 must focus on our O-Line and D-Line needs. We are a below average to poor team in those two vital areas. I’m NOT confident that the Ross/T-Bomb team can bring us the significant improvements we so sorely need.
    ————————–
    I ALSO ADMIT I take perverse pleasure ANY TIME the evil empire known to us as the “CHEATRIOTS” suffers another loss. Pittsburgh’s 17-10 win was loudly cheered in this household. This makes it virtually impossible for The Cheats to host the AFC Championship Game this season!! The demise of the CHEATRIOT EMPIRE IS AT HAND! The sooner that happens, the better for Miami Dolphin fans everywhere in this great land (and Canada and Great Britain,too!)
    NOW it’s time to tune in the Lightning at Jets NHL game.

When you can name half a dozen positions or units of your team that need an upgrade, you’re just not a very good team. This was a tough test today. I didn’t get overly confident about the miracle against NE, and I’m not getting overly demoralized over this loss. Learn from it. Get better. Move on.

I still cannot figure out what this team is. We have had a tough schedule and tons of injuries but we are 500. However our team stats suck and our point differential is atrocious. I just can’t figure out what we are

• herdfan says:

We’re the luckiest bad team or the unluckiest good team.

WHAT we are, Hulk, is a franchise that has NOT won an NFL playoff game during the ownership of Steve Ross. And I’ve heard nothing about the imminent sale of this franchise.
        ——————-
        Now WHAT does Hulk have to say about that?????

Ken,
    I think early on it was the TOs we were getting. Without those, I don’t think we fair so good. Then, the injuries started to pile up, we weren’t getting the TOs as often and things went downhill.

Scheifele OT winner 🥅🏒

78. ElephantRider says:

And that’s a wrap…

Not having Howard was unfortunate against the Vikes. He would have made a big difference, but ultimately it was their pass rush that beat us. Tannehill just couldn’t operate with people on him all the time. Not sure Cornell Armstrong is ready for prime time yet. Nice to see a big play from Ballage, gives a little hope for the future with Drake and Ballage at RB. I wish someone would whisper in the ear of Gesicki and get that kid in gear. We need him to be a factor next season in the worst way. It gives the offense a whole different dimension.

When you are late getting out of the huddle and snap the ball with 1 sec left routinely that gives the DL an advantage because they know you have to snap the ball.
    Look at how the Rams OL line-up, they go from the huddle to the LOS running with plenty of time on the play clock, this catches their opponent off guard and out of position most of the time instead of routinely slouching up to the OL. maybe Tannehill should ask the opposing D if their ready to sack him.
    you can blame the sacks on the OL but I blame it on a lack of discipline and the coaches.

it’s the little things we suck at!

i was at the last playoff win game, was the Colts at Miami, 2000, 18 years without a playoff win and if i’m not mistaking only 2 chances in those 18 years to get one.

This was the last playoff (Only playoff) game I was at . . .

THAT IS ALL

The “Miracle” bought Gase 6 1/2 days. Now I am back to looking for explosives grade plutonium on line. Everyone must go!

Starting with thank jinxed / cursed long snapper!

86. BailBondMike says:

One thing I noticed when we were still only down 7 in the 3rd qtr, Gase abandoned the run. That’s when the vikings loaded up and kept sending an army after Tannehill. Ballage was balling and Gase took the ball out of his hands. Then we couldn’t sustain a drive, our D got gassed and their D stayed fresh. Sound familiar. He averaged over 10 yards a carry and we don’t want to ruin that so lets stop giving him the rock. Subtract that big run and he was still averaging over 4 yards a carry. SMH

87. BailBondMike says:

The only miracle in Miami would be if Gase didn’t call the plays next year. IMHO

I can’t really point to play calls in that game because we had such a difficult time operating and executing. Outside of two big plays one on defense and one on offense we didn’t do much of anything the entire game on both sides of the ball.

Pretty sure Gore’s choice will come down to no football or football in Miami.
    ————————————–
    Cameron Wolfe, ESPN Staff Writer

Frank Gore’s incredible streak of 122 consecutive starts will end due to his sprained foot injury. He’s one of the game’s ultimate warriors and was still the Dolphins lead RB at 35. He’ll be a free agent at the end of the season and will have a decision to make on his future.

Expect to see a lot of Kalen Ballage for Dolphins last two games. Frank Gore took the rookie under his wing this season and has told me he likes his potential to be a difference maker.

SunSentinel Dolphins
    @SSMiamiDolphins
    Ja’Wuan James says Dolphins surrendering 9 sacks is “unacceptable

No Shit Sherlock!

Talk radio up here is that was far and away the best game of the year for their OL. That we played right into their hands by getting down and that their blitzes worked great…and they blitzed often. Former players/analysts were saying every blitz they called seemed to work perfectly both in the right spot and timing. Oh, and we suck. Fuckers.

• New Age says:

I don’t think Minnesota is a good team this year. It was their best game…because we do suck. Which position/player do you want first if you were the GM Randy? Ill even say outside of QB this year, who have you liked and wished we could get?

If Minnesota was a good team we wouldn’t have gotten as close to taking the lead back as we did. I dont think they are hacks but i dont think they will last very long in the playoffs. A couple of burst plays and some turnovers kept things close, so were they playing good disciplined football we would have never gotten those opportunities.

Randy — sounds like they are as happy as we were after we beat the Pats. But we beat the Pats and not us…. lol.

herdfan says:
    December 16, 2018 at 9:35 pm

We’re the luckiest bad team or the unluckiest good team.
    ——————————————–
    We are definitely the luckiest bad team. We have won games where the other team had 400+ yards total offense to our under 200 and won, hell in this game we were even with them deep into the 3rd with them totally dominating the offensive stats. Turnovers is a lot of it, our DB’s give the offense the ball back and score a lot. It keeps in the games until we either some how find a way to stop them at the end and seal a win or until they wear us out and shit comes unraveled.

New Age,
    I haven’t really looked closely at draft prospects. To me, when you have needs in 4 or 5 different areas, BPA in the first is always a good way to go. I just want a good player. If I had to pick….probably DT or DE.

Thoughts…

1) It’s time to ditch the ‘wide-9’ Defense… it isn’t working for us, AT ALL.
    1a) Can we fairly assess Matt Burke, being he was more or less promoted to continue the ‘Wide-9’ D? I haven’t the answer, but I’m ready to see Burke relieved of his duties.

2) Adam Gase should be put on notice at this point. He’ll get next year (and I think deservedly so), but there are no more excuses left to give.

3) It’s past time to prepare for life after Ryan Tannehill, and for all too many reasons… and it’s not because he sucks. Tanny is a middle of the road QB who runs hot and cold: when he’s hot he’s HOT, when he’s cold he’s COLD. His injury history is now of concern, and he was drafted in 2012 (instant starter)… he is what he is at this point with more than enough time to have shown and proven.
    3a) Have we ever seen a TE succeed with Tannehill as our QB? The answer is NO: I wonder if he even knows what a TE looks like.

4) We haven’t had a legit O-Line this decade and then some. Blame it on poor draft-classes, the GM, injuries, coaching, bad luck, or whatever else under the sun… NO MORE EXCUSES. No other team in the history of the NFL has had as many problems — and for as long as we’ve had — on their O-Lines. We’re talking about an abysmal level of failure in HISTORIC proportions, here. I refuse to believe that this is mere coincidence or just “bad luck”… this must be remedied!!!

5) Mike Tannenbaum should be fired, and I’m not even sure his role (‘czar’) needs to be replaced. Chris Grier (IMO) is more than capable of running this team as GM, without having to report to a “Tannenbaum”… screw the red tape/bureaucracy that Steve Ross has installed in the FO.
    5a) It’s nothing short of a miracle that we’re still technically in playoff contention, after having to swallow the huge contracts ($uh, just as one example) that Tannenbaum had saddled us with. And had Tannehill not been injured before the year began last season — prompting a restructured contract — we’d have been SCREWED, as I’d cautioned. Tanny’s injury last year likely SAVED Tannenbaum’s job. SMH

Welp, that’s all I’ve got right now! Sucks that Frank Gore is out for the rest of the year, too: I really hope he comes back next year. But in the meantime, lets see what Ballage and Bolden can do behind our patchwork O-Line over the next 2 games.

GO PHINS!!!
    HELL YEAH!!!

• ElephantRider says:

I agree with all but #5

Tannenbaum is doing Aponte’s job and I think they are handling it well. This team has all the cap basically available in 2020 and they quit the flashy signings.

To ALL of y’all who appreciate the classic Fullback… look for him in three to four years in the NFL Draft…

If you predict FB in high school being drafted in the NFL you deserve a medal

It’s hard enough to predict a player from HS being drafted
      But a dying position isn’t increasing your odds

OL play is just not good throughout the league.

Relative to the old-school we grew up on, absolutely agreed. The rule changes have affected much of this without a doubt.

Yet, some old-school teams still value O-Line play… talkin’ about the Stealers*, the Ravens (formerly from Cleveland), and a few others. These few teams always seem to be perennial playoff contenders, and that’s not by accident.

The Jaguars actually ‘miracled’ their way, deep into the playoffs last season by their running game, behind a tough O-Line (NOT by Blake Bortles, LOL).

Winning in the trenches makes life SO much easier for all.

97. ElephantRider says:

Lol M

.800 ain’t too shabby!

M13,
    I think there are probably a number of contributing factors. If you look at DL these days, they’re just freaks. Guys who are 300+ pounds who can move like 275 pound guys. We’ve seen it impact what OL look like too. We don’t see 340 pounds fat guys who can’t move. Even guards need to be 300-315 pound guys who can move. More emphasis on the passing game means you need more nimble OL across the board but that means they’re less effective at moving people in the run game. Pressure happens so quickly nowadays. Also, lots of times, if you’re a young guy who’s big and nimble, you get put on defense. Special athletes don’t get put on the OL.

I know there wasn’t too much to be positive abiut yesterday

But this was great

Look how quick he hits the hole
      Look at the breakaway speed at the end too

I’m not saying it is because of Tannehill but Charles Clay had his best seasons here and got himself a fat contract.

we’ll probably see a lot of Ballage these next two weeks

Randy having OL that can move is a good thing for the running game, i watched some of the Rams plays, they all flow to one side and have a te set the back edge away from the flow giving the RB a cut back lane. they also run this as play action giving the QB and WR a clear field on the opposite side of the flow. i don’t see no 350lbs OL being able to do that.

Indy has to play the Giants at home then Tenn, Tenn has to play the Redskins at home then Indy, the Ravens play @ SD then the Browns at home.

I don’t see The Ravens beating a red hot SD team at their home, SD is chasing KC for the division, you can bet they want this game.

so with that said it may come down to Indy vs Tenn on the last Sunday for the final WC spot

Orob
    That wasn’t my point but sure. It’s all in how you want to run

• ocalarob says:

Randy says:
      December 17, 2018 at 11:25 pm
      but that means they’re less effective at moving people in the run game.
      ______________________________________________________
      This is what i was responding to.

ER v. Mrs Toba for the Toba Cup. Good luck to both!

ocalarob says:
    December 18, 2018 at 9:14 am
    oh yeah…and QB rating is not a team stat, end of story!

Fine, it is a quarterback stat that is effected by the performance of other players to the extreme.

I’ve said it before. A WR can drop a perfectly thrown pass and give a 0.00 rating or the same WR can make a crazy circus catch and run 99 yards for a TD and give the QB a 158.3 rating. in these scenarios the QB has very little to do with the passer rating.

• ocalarob says:

and those scenarios could happen to any q.b. they all go by the same criteria also over a season things pan out and the cream rises to the top

And I have been right way more than once Rob! LOL

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Adam Beasley

@AdamHBeasley
    Bit of housekeeping from over the weekend: Kiko Alonso was fined $20,054 for a horse-collar tackle in the Dolphins’ Week 14 game against the Patriots.

It is just easier to say we have been eliminated already!

Here are five ways the Dolphins could make the playoffs:

▪ The Dolphins could win the AFC East only one way — if they beat the Jaguars and win at Buffalo while New England loses at home to both Buffalo and the Jets. The Patriots will be heavy home favorites the final two weeks of the season, so this appears the most unlikely scenario for Miami.

▪ Miami would claim the AFC’s final playoff spot (the sixth seed) if it beats Jacksonville and Buffalo; if the Chargers beat the Ravens on Saturday night; if Washington beats Tennessee; and if Tennessee then beats the visiting Colts in Week 17. This might be the most realistic way for Miami to make it, though it would require the Redskins to pull off an upset in Nashville on Saturday.

▪ The Dolphins would claim a wild-card spot if they win their final two; if the Colts, Titans and Ravens all lose in Week 16; and if the Ravens and Colts win in Week 17. (Baltimore hosts Cleveland in Week 17.) In that scenario, the Dolphins would win that three-team tie with Baltimore and Indianapolis.

▪ The Dolphins would make it if they win their final two; if the Colts, Titans and Ravens lose in Week 16; and if the Ravens and Titans win in Week 17. In that scenario, the Dolphins would win a three-team tie with Baltimore and Tennessee.

▪ The Dolphins would also make the playoffs in they win their final two; Baltimore loses to the Chargers but then beats the Browns; the Colts lose to the Giants; the Titans beat Washington; and then the Colts beat the Titans. In that scenario, Miami would win a four-team tiebreaker with the Ravens, Colts and Titans.

But the Dolphins would miss the playoffs if everything in that aforementioned sentence happens except the Ravens winning in Week 17. If Baltimore loses to Cleveland, then Miami would lose that particular three-team tiebreaker with the Colts and Titans.

The Dolphins would win a four-team tie or a three-team tie involving Baltimore. But to win a three-time tie with Tennessee and Indianapolis, Miami needs Tennessee to lose to Washington and beat the Colts.

As far as playoff chances…. was worst case scenario last weekend. And not even talking the loss to the Vikes. Still alive though.

Thoughts…

1) It’s time to ditch the ‘wide-9’ Defense… it isn’t working for us, AT ALL.

—————————————————————
    First off, you bring up some really good observations M13, so props to you on that.

Ill go one by one and just throw in my 0.02.
    1) I really am not seeing a tradition wide 9 out there, it seems really a hodge podge implementation at best. We have the personnel for it but i do, so i dont think its that, maybe missing that impacting 1-Tech DT, i think its more of the implementation of the scheme.

1a) Burke might be the problem, but injuries have made it harder to have a set of guys out there that can give us a solid base, and i think the LB’s aren’t experience enough to run that system yet. Part of that i think is getting better but if Burke cant run the system right, it doesn’t matter how much the players evolve.

2) Id be OK with Gase having his full 5 years be locked in IF he changes the QB. If he doesn’t id still give him one more year but if he doesn’t hit it out of the park, then he gets no more slack. If he drafts a QB im going to give him that year and one additional to prove himself.

3) I agree, i think Tanny is at this point a middling QB and will never be more. Im not ok with settling on a middling QB. I know the arguments on well you dont have to have an elite QB to win, but my argument is to already be looking to improve any position you can, and there is a lot that can be improved on over Tanny.

3a) Tannehill has a lot of flaws that he just never has gotten past. Using an outlet receiver is one of his worst, though pocket awareness and mobility are really close second and thirds. Like i said before, there just hasnt been significant improvements in the 7 years, and there is no reason at this point to keep believing there will be.

4) this is one im a little iffy on. We have a good OL if we had our starting OL, where we significantly lack is quality depth. Every year it seems injuries at OL come in and just blow shit up, this year it has been really bad, so i agree we need to keep investing in OL, but more for the next man up and not necessarily to be finding a starter.

5) I dont really have an issue with Tannebaum and Grier, sure there are things where i woulda zigged and they zagged, but i think overall its not a bad job they are doing.

5a) Same, im not sure how i feel about the cutting loose of those big contracts and not re-signing landry, etc. I dont tknow if those decisions might not have been heavily influenced by Gase since he supposedly has control of the personnel decisions. Like i said im not really pissed about it but some of them i disagreed with.

ocalarob says:
    December 18, 2018 at 9:14 am
    oh yeah…and QB rating is not a team stat, end of story!

Also, whatever. ESPN made up stats can go pound sand. there is not such thing as a QB rating. It is a PASSER rating.

ORob you like the straight ahead power running game, you should be wanting those big fat road graters, then you do a power man run blocking shceme and diver them straight back and the back gets in behind them and eeks out a hole. ZBS is what you are talking about and thats for more Drake’s style running. One cut, cut back running. Ballage is also one of those type backs. Gore is kinda a hybrid he can do ok in that system, but his style is more 0 or 1 gap pure dive power running. he gets low and squirts through and then kicks in the burners.

Wanna wish all you folks the most happy of holidays.
    We have built a family in this place….sorta cool.

The Dolphins requested and got permission to wear the throwback uniforms again this Sunday against the Jags.

Stanger, all the best to you and Mrs Stanger have a great time on your trip.

I don’t have the energy to get too much into what we should do in the offseason for a few reasons. The first is we’ve been playing with a lot of backups due to the loss of players lost for the season and typical in-season injuries all teams go through. We had so many different lineups each week and had to pick up players off the street to field a team. So that being said regardless of what we do in the offseason, if they can’t stay on the field does it even matter? Even X who was having a great season had to go down for a couple of games or maybe they just shut him down at this point. The injuries have exhausted me the last two seasons.

Not so much the injuries last year but all the different circumstances we went through last year. This year was more about injuries. This team needs some good fortune someday.

Congratulations to Xavien Howard for being selected to the Pro Bowl. Well deserved.

Yes! He totally deserved it. He’s one of the better CBs in the league. Teams avoid him and when they go his way bad things happen for them. 🙂

D says:
    December 18, 2018 at 2:30 pm

Ill go one by one and just throw in my 0.02…
    ————-
    Thank you, sir! And I thank you for your opinions on my observations, as I felt they were really good, too. There are many different ways we can address these observations, and there’s no ONE right way to do so. Additionally, some of these observations can offset one another if we finally get things right in another observation (ie: if our O-Line finally gets right, that could solve many other problems).

Thank you for your feedback, D… I appreciate it! 🙂

NEW BLOG UP!

Rockphin says:
    December 18, 2018 at 3:17 pm
    yes, but they are not CONTROLLED by the QB so they should not be attributed to them alone.
    ________________________________________
    if you want to look at it your way then all stats would be “team stats”,

when a RB carries the ball he gets help from his blockers, or maybe he doesn’t shouldn’t his yards gained or lost be a “team stat”?

how about sacks or lack of, when a DE get’s to the QB most of the time the qb has no where to go with the ball due to good coverage. shouldn’t that be a “team stat”.

if you look at pro reference stats they have stats for both QBR and passer rating, and they don’t attribute rankings to teams only players.

total defense…total offense…Are team stats