The Wedge Scouting Report: Ed Oliver, DL, Houston

THE MUSIC FROM 2001 PLAYS IN THE BACKGROUND

wedge2001a

DAH – DAH

wedge2001b

DAH – NAH!!!

wedge2001c

I’m Back!!!!!  You Earthlings were in for it.  I had my planet destroyer blaster all targeted at your measly planet, ready to pull the trigger and then…

Then the Dolphins made a few changes and I got excited about the draft

So you live to fight another season I guess…

wedgedaggers

This season I have a bunch of new weapons like these Kurllian Daggers.

Swift as the wind but deadly!

Reminds me of Houston Defensive Tackle Ed Oliver

img_0103

The Pros:  Arguably Oliver has been the most dominant defensive player in College Football the last couple of years.  He’s a disruptive defensive force who uses his agility to excel.

There will be quite a few Aaron Donald comparisons this offseason and although I don’t think there is a defensive tackle in that class this year, Ed Oliver is probably most deserving of that comparison.  He’s a smaller quicker defensive tackle in the mold of Donald or if you want to go farther back John Randle.

Oliver fires off the ball with such explosiveness, he’s hard not to notice on the field.  At Houston, a team not stacked with elite talent, Oliver constantly faced double and triple teams and was still able to hold his own.

Oliver had 13.5 sacks, 53 tackles for a loss and 192 total tackles in 3 years at Houston.  He was their defense.  In the pros, Oliver has the make up of the kind of defensive player is, a defense can build around.

img_0102

The Cons:  At 6-3, 292 pounds Oliver does not have the kind of size NFL scouts covet.  But we’ve seen guys like Donald excel as a smaller interior defender.  Don’t draft Oliver to be a space eater.  He doesn’t do that.  He aggressively penetrates.

Some people even think 290 is too heavy for him to utilize his quickness.  The Houston Staff actually publicly stated that it as too heavy and wanted him around 275.

Oliver is probably not ideal in a 3-4 defense.  He screams 3 technique in a 4-3.

img_0099

The Alien Dust:  Like I said – expect a lot of Aaron Donald comparisons.  Its not just the size, it also that he didn’t go to a College Powerhouse.  His combine will be interesting – chances are, his strength won’t be on par with Donald.

But Donald lives in the backfield.  And his explosiveness off the ball is likely to cause havoc to other AFC East QBs if the Dolphins draft him.

If Oliver falls to 13, the Dolphins should run to the podium!

img_0101

Oliver has the deadly agility of these daggers I use to brutalize lifeforms.  Swift, sharp and deadly in the right circumstances.  Oliver should shred the NFL.

krullianoliverdagger

Watch his Highlights Here:

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

294 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: Ed Oliver, DL, Houston

I like Oliver a lot. He’s definitely an elite prospect and a top building block for a defense. Now let’s talk about that Senior Bowl!!!

I’m glad somenone can see the post

He’s a very good prospect. He’s one of those guys who despite size concerns I think he’s going to be a very good pro. If we run a hybrid defense, it won’t matter what his best scheme fit is. Put players in positions to be successful. Base defense isn’t that big of deal anymore. We’re going to be in nickel a lot as is every other team.

Tom Lady* says there’s a ZERO percent chance he retires after this season.

Hey Piggi – Nice job on the Wedge Scouting report! If Oliver were to be around the weight he’s at, or even a little lighter, 5 technique or 3-4 DE could be perfect for him

Regardless of what “base” scheme we run, not sure we’re going to use a true NT that often. If you have a couple of guys who can man up for say a dozen or so plays that’s fine.

That’s 100 % true

Disagreed. If we don’t have a “true NT”, then there’s no reason to run a base 3-4 to begin with. Follow me?

It’s just not as simple as you make it out to be, Tim. HOWEVER, if we bring in HYBRID players who can be utilized in any scheme, then I think you’re on to something. But we’ve got to have a “true NT” to make the 3-4 work.

Okay, but I’m not following you based on what I said. You’re stuck in the 90’s man. LOL

M – I think if we’re planning on playing a 3-4 scheme we’ll have a couple of guys that can play NT. There will be games when we have to play the run, and stay in our base, so no question we’ll have to have a guy who can play NT. On the other hand, most teams pass so much, we won’t be in our base defense most of the time.

I tend to agree with M13 on this issue

I think you are painting it a little too broadly Tim
    You have to be able to have a base D first and whether or not you have a suitable NT on your roster is a huge issue

^ OINK!

Piggy, you kind of contradicted yourself saying a guy like Oliver can play NT. So can Godchaux at times, just not all day. Never said don’t have a suitable NT on the roster. Just not one guy who is exclusively only that.

My point is base defense is becoming like the FB, extinct. Why, because offenses no longer play pro set much of the time and have a run first/pass second mentality. They play 3 wide much of the time. Sure you’ll have a guy on the nose at times in any scheme. But you can use 2 or 3 different guys to play there. It might only be 12-15 snaps per game. Not like back in the day when they played 30+ snaps and had a backup take the rest. We might also switch from 4-3 to 3-4 base.

The Pats were known this year for being in nickel 90% of the time. We have the DBs to play that way. Flores coached it and called the plays for that type of defense. I’m sure it’s not going to change much.

Speaking of behemoths

I’m excited to see Dexter Lawrence at the combine
    I don’t give night weight to the 40 yard dash for interior DL
    But if a 350 pound day runs a fast time it’s eye opening

Lawrence is really unique
    If he is the athlete some say he is – he could be a top 5 pick

January 27, 2019 at 6:49 pm
    —————-
    AH!!! The 90s!!! 😀

Pigster,

Just read your article above… well done! Ed Oliver is most certainly someone to be considering this Draft class. He’s definitely a STUD.

I’m particularly impressed how you managed to put Klingon bat’leths into your images! 😀
    I like bat’leths (ordered a REAL one about 10 years ago), but I still prefer a double-saber! 😀

I sometimes get the impression that you feel others are attacking you when they really aren’t. It’s alright to disagree. I think that the Pigster and I are merely pointing out that ya don’t run a base 3-4 if ya don’t have the proper pieces in place… which we currently don’t have.

We’ll see what happens once FA opens.

I DO like what you have to say regarding Brian Flores, though… he’s going to be using a LOT of different looks to achieve his goals. I concur with ya there 100%.

Based on these discussions? Not at all. Remember typed words don’t always express demeanor. I’m feeling as if what I’m saying about how defenses are played these days is being ignored, but I’m not irritated by it. I just have to repeat myself. LOL

It’s all good. But once again, I said base defense is not a big deal anymore nor will we be one or the other. I see more 3-3-5, 4-2-5 with blitz disguises than I see 3-4-4/5-2-4 or 4-3-4.

Add good players who make impact plays and nobody cares about scheme. They form the scheme, not the other way around.

But even in a 3-3-5, we’d better have an anchor NT or NG (0-tech or 1-tech), to be sure. It’s not as easy as just plugging a bigger body in there for the sake of size.

See, Ndamukong could never be a NT or NG (0-tech or 1-tech), being he’s a pass-rusher by nature… not a run-clogger.

Right, but that player doesn’t need to be some massive guy who only does that. It doesn’t hurt to have a big man who can do it, but it’s not a must. Other DTs can play that role here and there.

3-3-5 is still nickel. That could be 1 DT, 2 Edge, 2 LB, 1 S/NLB, 5 DB. It depends on down and distance with who’s in the game and where they lineup.

The “46” Defense. You don’t know what they’re going to do or where they’re coming from. Buddy Ryan had the players to play this way. A front 8 who are versatile with a single high coverage scheme. Add another DB to the mix and it’s just more coverage for today’s game with multiple blitz schemes available.

You’re stuck in the 80s man. LOL 😉

LOL… not at all, sub in nickel and move players around. Think about it. Yes we need to sign and draft some new guys too. The Pats ran what was like a nickel “46” all year. They use two down lineman and 5 other defenders around the LOS. Who blitzes and who drops back with the 4?

That defense is designed to not be complacent and predictable. But it requires versatile and smart players. I think we have some of that to work with. Young too.

It’s not about size. It’s about the ability to occupy blockers. I’m not sure anybody on this team has shown an ability to occupy multiple blockers. It takes time to learn how to do it. Taylor would be my first choice to do it….but I’m not convinced he could. I haven’t seen Godchaux do it. It’s not easy to do.

I’ve seen video pointing out Godchaux doing it. I’m not in a go find it mode. But you can Google it. 😉

That said how many snaps do you think NTs play these days unless a team is destroying you and running on you exclusively? So now you’re in base.

I think Taylor is more 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE. But I’m sure he could play nose 4-5 times. One of 3 guys.

Taylor was starting to come on and of course he had to go down. 😦

I’m a Kiko fan, and I won’t mind at all if he’s here this season. But I also feel he’s on the table as a trade option. Cap numbers and age moving forward. Being objective as an NFL fan what do you think his value is?

I watched Godchaux a lot. He did not do it consistently….not with 2 blockers. He can hold the point of attack okay, but he doesn’t demand 2 blockers to control him. He can be blocked by one guy. That’s not what a NT does.

Are we definitely going to a 3-4 or is this just the regular “change the defense” conversation?

Godchaux, Taylor and Spence for now as interior DL. All 27 or younger. All have played well. You might think of Spence as some aging vet but he’s 27 and won’t be 28 until November. He’s on the books for one more season at $2.5M. That’s an easy keep. Add to it. One good young prospect and you’re better.

I’ll take him on my team.

21. ElephantRider says:

Thanks Piggi! Enjoyed the read.

22. ElephantRider says:

Kiko goes nowhere! This team needs all the nasty they can get, so keep the only one you got!

I like that you want to keep him. But the only nasty is not true.

If I’m GM I’m re-signing X. He’s becoming one of the best CBs and ballhawks in the NFL. He’s 25 years old with 3 seasons of experience. He’s a very good tackler and violent hitter. Made the pro bowl and 2nd team all pro this year. What more are we looking for in a corner? If we trade him we better get top value.

I think what many of us forget in the HC search with Flores as the main candidate was he knows our division. The rivals and our roster. He’s been competing against all of it for over a decade.

Go Phins!!!!

Donald lives in the backfield. And his explosiveness off the ball is likely to cause havoc to other AFC East QBs if the Dolphins draft him.
    __________________________________________

Is aaron donald re-entering the draft? if so i think we should draft him!

Vincent Taylor played great last year also

Randy says:
    January 27, 2019 at 9:44 pm
    It’s not about size.

You just keep telling yourself that! LOL

Randy says:
    January 27, 2019 at 9:44 pm
    It’s not about size.
    ___________________________
    That’s what my ex-wife said?

actually there is an optimum bending point when swinging a hammer, my ping driver is a hammer with a stiff shaft, low kick point (for high trajectory) and a 3.0 torque (stiff tip) ,

everytime i swing it the shaft bends, without that bend i wouldn’t hit it as far.

the head of a driver is metal, and while the new driver heads have advantages such as milled faces or support bars behind the face the real engine behind the driver driver is the shaft.

the shaft is everything and it pends on your swing speed.

anything above 100mph you should be swinging a stiff shaft.
    low kick point tends to launch the ball high and a high kick point tends to launch it lower.

i have a low kick point and the driver is set a 8 degrees.

the most important part of a shaft is torque, that is the deflection of the shaft at impact, my shaft is 3.0 which means it will deflect 3 degrees from square at impact. that is very stiff.
    most drivers have a 5.0 torque, you can feel the difference.

I also have a King Cobra with a milled face, stiff project X hzrds shaft with a 2.9 torque, i have it set at 8 degrees however it is a half inch shorter than my ping, i use it for tight courses where accuracy is at a pemium. i dont hit it as far as the ping but it is very accurate.

both my drivers have a D-6 swing weight, i customize the weight by adding weight to the head, most drivers come off the shelf at a D-3 swing weight.

I feel pretty much “Meh” about this one. I missed the guy I wanted by 1-2 picks each round. (well until the 3rd and then I don’t recognize any of them yet. As more mocks get done I will start to recognize the names more.)

YOUR TEAM
    MIAMI DOLPHINS
    YOUR PICKS
    1: R1P13 CB GREEDY WILLIAMS LSU
    2: R2P16 G DALTON RISNER KANSAS STATE
    3: R3P14 C GARRETT BRADBURY NORTH CAROLINA STATE
    4: R4P14 RB ELIJAH HOLYFIELD GEORGIA
    5: R5P13 EDGE JUSTIN HOLLINS OREGON
    6: R6P15 DL TERRY BECKNER JR. MISSOURI
    7: R7P15 LB JEFF ALLISON FRESNO STATE

D says:
    January 28, 2019 at 11:36 am

January 27, 2019 at 3:53 pm

I’m not giving up on Drew Lock and Daniel Jones because of the Senior Bowl game, that’s ludicrous. It’s just one part of the process.
    ——————————————-
    I hardly pay attention to the performances at the games because a lot of the players are guarding themselves against injury, its not as good as the practice performances to be honest. Most of the time the guys who shine in practice go on to be good players in the NFL and the senior bowl game stars are hit an miss.

Lol. At my advanced age, I don’t worry about size. It’s more about whether or not your prostate is too swollen to take a leak in the morning.

ocalarob says:
    January 28, 2019 at 9:50 am

“the shaft is everything”
    “you should be swinging a stiff shaft”
    “my shaft is…..very stiff”

Just too much to work with in that post lol.Guess thats what happens when you talk about a sport that is all about shafts and balls.

Rockphin says:
    January 28, 2019 at 11:36 am

Only me and three others voted for Walk. THEY JUST DON’T Realize. 15 years of mediocrity, 15 years of Denney. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!
    ——————————————
    Ya know the funny thing is i could definitely see the first year he isn’t here being the first year we have success and then we wont hear the end of it lol.

I don’t know how Greedy Greedy williams is. He only had 2 picks this year…after 6 last year. He is one of those “long’ guys listed at 6’2″ or 6’3” depending on which site you look at.

I think his is a good choice opposite Howard.

Randy says:
    January 27, 2019 at 9:55 pm

——————————————–
    Thats because he isnt a NT, hes a 3 tech DT. Having him at NT is/was a bad use of talent.

D,
    I know, but folks were talking about who can play NT if we switch to a 3-4.

As #Patriots defensive play-caller Brian Flores coaches one last (important) game for NE, his staff with the #Dolphins is taking shape. Sources say #Giants OLBs coach Robbie Leonard and #Jaguars DL coach Marion Hobby are both joining Flores’ staff in Miami.

Adam Beasley

Verified account

@AdamHBeasley
      5m5 minutes ago
      FWIW, Rob Leonard’s bio no longer appears on the Giants’ coaching page

Now the Giants JUST THIS PAST SEASON changed to a 3-4

Marion Hobby was only at Jax for this past season. He worked for Dabo Swinny before that. So he is not the reason for Jax’s line being so good. (players were)

Ryan Farr for Dophin’s Long Snapper ’19

Greedy Williams is a freak athlete and people really didnt throw to his side much if they could avoid it. He is a god player but he, like a lot of LSU guys are trouble off the field. Maybe he straightened up, maybe he didnt, dont know enough to say.

Hobby, meanwhile, needs a job after reportedly being fired by the Jaguars after the season. The bulk of his coaching career has been spent in the college ranks — he was Clemson’s co-defensive coordinator from 2011-2016 — but did spend two years as the Saints’ defensive ends coach and the past two in Jacksonville. He played three years for the Patriots in the early 1990s.

From the Herald

So by rumors we have:
    HC Brian Flores
    DC Patrick Graham, though also have been rumors about Brett Bielima (maybe will still be part of staff?)
    OC Chad O’Shea
    OLB Rob Leonard
    DL Marion Hobby

Are there any others that i missed?

What do you mean we don’t need a new long snapper?

I’d rather use a 3-4 than a 4-3, I think you can stop the run better and put pressure on the QB better in a 3-4, when a 3-4 DE lines up the LT is usually responsible for the DE and that leaves a little confusion as to who picks up the LBer, and on running downs you have an extra LBer to stop the run.
    i bet if you did a stat on teams that run the 3-4 vs teams that run the 4-3, the 3-4 would have more sacks.

How about Chicagos defense? i believe that was a 3-4

50. ElephantRider says:

ORob

Didnt know you invented the 3-4. Kudos

The Chiefs went 13-3 and made it to the AFC Championship because they’re the only team in NFL history to score 26 or more points in every game they played.

there were good teams that ran the 3-4.
    the Rams ran it…so does..pitt…balt…tenn…hou…and chicago

I believe the key to running the 3-4 is personel, we need a big NT, not sure if Godchaw fits the mold, get the guy from clemson and have godchaw and taylor as your DEs, use quinn as the extra LBer

We need to see if we’re going to a 3-4 or use the Pats model of utilizing both 3-4/4-3 and hybrid schemes including heavy nickel.

where’s Dan Williams????????????

55. ElephantRider says:

Sounds like you guys have already scrapped the wide 9….

I dont care what they run. Just fix this and figure it out. The secondary is 1 CB away from elite. The LBs are young, but got better as season went on so that’s building(Kiko is Kiko).
    The DL is average. Then the injuries piled up and that was that.

Not like they have to revamp everything…have pieces already just need someone to put them together.

ORob -‘I want to golf with you while I’m here FL for the next two months.

In his 11 starts Tannehill never threw for over 300 yards in a single game, moreover he passed the 200 yard mark ONLY four times in those 11 starts. Wow that’s bad.

Great to know that Wedge is back and putting his galactic eye on prospects (and thanks to Pig for passing on). Oliver sounds exactly like the kind of guy to get if he drops, and fits a need. And at this point am pretty much for anyone who drops. At this point figure talent first.

There’s plenty of talent in the 1st rd this year. If we don’t go QB, DL/Edge will be there.

The fact that they now call the outside pass rushers Edge shows you how the game has changed. Not necessarily 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, just Edge. Because regardless of your system you need those Edge guys.

pheloniusphish says:
    January 28, 2019 at 5:39 pm
    ORob -‘I want to golf with you while I’m here FL for the next two months.

son of a son of a shula says:
    January 28, 2019 at 5:57 pm
    I’m in. I didn’t know you played.
    ___________________________________________
    Playing forest lake tomorrow with a friend who lives in Vero, kind’ve half way, it’s in Orlando, tee time 1:47 pm, you and son would make it a foursome.

January 28, 2019 at 6:43 pm
    Great to know that Wedge is back and putting his galactic eye
    ____________________________________

I have an SM6 vokey wedge, my putting could use some improvement though

Wow golf can sound pretty kinky. LOL

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 26 (IND): Lawrence, Dexter, DT, Clemson (A)
    Round 2 Pick 2 (IND): Jones, Dre’Mont, DT, Ohio State (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 16: Jackson, Joe, DE, Miami (FL) (B)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Deiter, Michael, OG, Wisconsin (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 14: Granderson, Carl, DE, Wyoming (A-)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Browning, Jake, QB, Washington (B)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Bars, Alex, OG, Notre Dame (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 17: Hardman, Mecole, WR, Georgia (A+)

what i like about that course also is the location, all hwy driving, get off the turnpike on 267A, 429 north, second exit…exit 26, course is right around the corner from the highway.

It’s goimg to be cold everyone

Bundle up

OL porn

If their center cam out he might be the best OL available

But the guards are great

Wisconsin is doing something right in bringing along OL

EXCELLENT ANALYSIS, Piggy! AS MOST OF YOU KNOW, I’m a strong advocate of a strong O-Line AND a strong D-Line, with DEPTH! Miami had NEITHER last season and these two lines should be our TOP priorities. THAT SAID, I believe there’s a chance that ROSS will order his “underlings” to draft a QB in the first round. IF HE DOES, he’d better take a QB with great speed and shiftyness, because he’s going to be running for his life!!!
    ——————–
    HERE’s hoping rounds 1 and 2 feature some terrific “BIG UGLIES” because those franchises who ignore their O-Line and D-Line will pay for it in spades!

SUH-per Bowl

Go big man whoop on Brady

Suh played for Caldwell for those of you keeping score

Yeah, man… there’s something going on here. Don’t know if it’ll come to fruition, but seems Suh is making a big pitch to come back to Miami.

Keep your eyes on Tyree Jackson, QB, Buffalo. He’s generating a LOT of buzz with scouts.

Listen here Akeem Spence – when Suh comes back you give him his jersey without any bullshit. We like you and want you here too but you better get a new number.

(There’s a lot of Suh jerseys out there that will be viable again)

Piggy, agreed the trenches is the way to start. Keep looking for QBs but you can’t force it.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 13: Oliver, Ed, DT, Houston (A)
    Round 2 Pick 16: Benzschawel, Beau, OG, Wisconsin (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Jenkins, Elgton, OT/C, Mississippi State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 14: Jackson, Tyree, QB, Buffalo (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Granderson, Carl, DE, Wyoming (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Robinson, Rashad, CB, James Madison (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 17: Renfrow, Hunter, WR, Clemson (A+)

Confession: this is the absolute latest I’ve even been to tear into Draft prospects in nearly a decade. I draft for US PHINS, and nobody else. Until I know what we’re working with as far as a staff and schemes on both sides of the ball, I’m holding out! LOL 😀

QB, DT, Edge, CB and OL are pretty easy to roll with. 😉

A defensive coach is going to look at defense and that’s the strength of this draft, at least early on. QB is always a team’s target if you don’t think you have “the guy”. So that’s easy. Defensive coaches also understand the value of a running game. So OL will be a target for sure.

We all know defense these days needs a pass rush, good coverage guys and solid run defense. Get players who play good defense. LOL

CavalierKong says:
    January 28, 2019 at 3:06 pm

I’ve been cracking me up for awhile with this Denney must go spoof you’ve been on. I keep picturing Denny just happening across this site and thinking “WTF?!”. LMAO

Right!?? LOL

WTF did I do to him!? Why does this Rockphin clown hate me so much!?

Not Suh fast. There’s as much chance as Brisket coming here as there is Suh coming here. Why on earth would we want that gigantic contract?

I’ll say this, regarding Armando’s reports of Suh wanting to come back to Miami…

Suh is a HYBRID player who can play multiple positions in ANY scheme. So if Brian Flores wants to throw every look at an opposing Offense, Suh is the type of guy ya want. I’d assume it will all come down to $$$. If Suh wants ‘QB $$$’ again, NO DEAL.

M – I think the timing is silly. Why rebuild with a 32YO DT who will want more money than just about every player on the team?

What is Suh going to do for a rebuild that he didn’t accomplish for a team trying to contend?

IF Suh’s price is reasonable, then why not? But again… if he wants ‘QB $$$’, NO DEAL!

D says:
    January 28, 2019 at 2:07 pm
    So by rumors we have:
    ————-
    HC Brian Flores
    DC Patrick Graham
    OC Chad O’Shea
    OLB Rob Leonard
    DL Marion Hobby
    OL Pat Flaherty

Flores, Graham, O’Shea and Flaherty – lot’s of Super Bowls.

ALL RIGHT YOUZ GUYZ AND GALZ. NO one I’ve read on this site has picked my number one mid to late round running back pick who COULD REALLY HELP the Fins score MORE TOUCHDOWNS when they get in the Red Zone. Mr. Spikes, I’m REAL SURE you know who I’m talking about. Son-of-a-Son, YOU’VE SEEN HIM PLAY!!! OTHERS on this board have called him “THE REAL DEAL!” He led the nation in touchdowns scored in 2017, SCORING A MIND BOGGLING 33 TD’S!!! – – This year, his team had a down year. BUT HE STILL SCORED an NCAA DIVISION ONE LEADING 22 TD’s!! – – Yes, folks, the man I’m talking about scored 55 touchdowns in the last two seasons, and, yet, he can/will be had “for a song” if some of the experts are right. Devin, “MOTOR,” Singletary, the pride of FLORIDA ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY, likely will be taken in Day 3 of the draft. ALL HE DOES IS SCORE TOUCHDOWNS. So says his critics. Well, some days, that’s JUST WHAT OUR DOLPHINS NEED—“MORE TOUCHDOWNS!” Give this guy a shot AND HE WILL PRODUCE!
    ————-
    A few years ago, Alfred Morris played at FAU right under Jeff Ireland’s nose. NO ONE from the Fins bothered to check Morris out. But the Redskins took him in round 6 and Morris responded with 1857 yards, an all-time Redskins rushing record for one season! I say, “DON’T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!! Singletary broke all of Morris’ records (with room to spare) at FAU. I say if he’s STILL on the board in round 5, TAKE HIM!!!
    ————-
    ALL HE DOES IS SCORE TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!

Morris was a good back though short lived – he declined quickly, but he never had the stats you’re stating here. 1,613 rushing and 77 yards receiving his rookie season for a combined 1,690 yards and 13 TD was his best season.

SORRY, Tim, I was looking at the wrong numbers. HOWEVER, I believe he’s run for over 4,000 yards in his career, and he DID SET the all-time Redskins record for rushing yards gained in a season. I’m REAL SURE Washington is glad they got him with a 6th round pick.

SINGLETARY, in my humble opinion, is a significantly better back than Morris. And he’ll prove it when some NFL team gives him a shot. But, first, of course, Miami’s scouting department HAS TO SCOUT HIM.

Yessir, I’m happy to let ya know that Devin Singletary is on my radar. He’s making a LOT of noise in Draft circles, too!

Mr. Spikes: Someone I know at FAU told me they expect “MOTOR” to be taken in Day 3. That goes along with what I’ve seen of him, too, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he was drafted on Day 2. JUST PLEASE, JESUS, Don’t let him go to the Patriots!!!!!!!

Indeed, Mr. Campbell… we aren’t in the position to draft a RB early this year. Perhaps on Day 3 late, but we’ve got to solidify the trenches first (you know this already, though). If Devin Singletary is still on the board in the mid-late rounds (which I seriously doubt at the moment), I’d love to see us land him.

OD, Morris had a productive early career but he hasn’t been with Washington for 3 years.

Devin Singletary might be one of those Deon Lewis, James White types the Pats covet.

YES, TIM, “MOTOR” MUST be on Belicheat’s radar!! –Amd, yes, I’m well aware Morris spent two seasons backing up “ZEKE” in Dallas plus last season with the ’49ers. He’s actually been under used the last 3 seasons. I would not be surprised if he resurfaced with a contender next season.
      OUT for tonight.

PS: TIM; Morris has run for just under 6,000 yards rushing and caught passes for another 494 yards in his NFL career. He’s also been selected to play in 2 Pro Bowls.–NOT BAD for a 6th round draft pick although, for sure, Tom Brady set the standard for 6th round draft choices!

He was a very good back.

who would you rather have Foles or Suh??

Who would you rather have, Foles of Fish or Brisket?

Miami Heat beats NY Knicks!
    and now for some good news
    NY is ready to resign Carmelo

there’s a huge difference between Morris and Singletary, Morris was 225 lbs, singletary is 200lbs, we already have 2 RBS that are young that fit the mold so i doubt we will be wasting a 3rd rnd pick on a 200 lbs rb,

i would like us to get a bowling ball type RB, like CJ Anderson, he seems to be the Rams #1 option over Gurley

Rob – Zion would be ideal. A healthy Porzingis, Zion, and then a star FA, like Kevin Durant makes the trio. They have a nice complimentary players like Knox too.

Mitchell Robinson could be a nice player too if he develops. They really need a PG, not sure any of the quartet of Trier, Burke Mudiay or Ntlikina are good enough

looks like the unibrow is going to LA before the trade deadline.

Obviously in any Super Bowl they are in, we want the Pats to lose. But in this one there is a new twist. Unless a shocker comes out, our next HC will be calling the plays on D. Absolutely want Brady and Gronk to look bad, but am I rooting for the Rams to score? Maybe Rams 9-0 is the perfect outcome. Or maybe Rams 28-0 on four pick sixes is even better.

I hear what you’re saying, but he’s going to be coaching different players here, ones that weren’t hand picked and vetted by Belichick. It may take a while to get the defense where he wants it, if he’s even capable of doing that.

Don’t actually think the Pats D is all that good, which may take away from what Flores has done. They live off their O and smart moves by both Brady and the evil one in game time flow decisions, but maybe their D and hopefully Flores set them up to do that.

It’s not so much good as in physical talent, but everyone in that defense follows and knows their responsibilities all the time. I can’t say that about our defense.

Barry Jackson

Verified account

@flasportsbuzz
    Follow Follow @flasportsbuzz
    Flores has told some Dolphins assistants he is retaining them, including DB coach Tony Oden and RB coach Eric Studesville. Decision pending on some others

Rizzi??????

there has been no word on Rizzi.

but he is still under contract for this season if that counts for anything.

Although Rotoworld says he is an unsigned free agent….

I don’t think his contract was voided when Gase was fired. Just like the other coaches that “will be retained” they are still under contract. That is why other teams had to ask permission to interview.

Thanks Rock – I didn’t realize he was still under contract. I bet Flores wants to measure how much Rizzi is willing to work with him, or if he just wants his job.

Front Office Moves Announced, Marvin Allen Named Assistant GM
    MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – The Miami Dolphins today announced a series of additions and promotions in their front office. Marvin Allen has joined the organization as an assistant general manager. The team also announced the following promotions: Ron Brockington to senior national scout, J.P. Correia to player personnel scout, Adam Engroff and Anthony Hunt to co-directors of player personnel, Brandon Shore to vice president of football administration and Matt Winston to assistant director of college scouting. All of these positions will report directly to general manager Chris Grier.

Mike, agreed on the Pats defense and their team in general. They aren’t always loaded with talent but they are well coached and they do their jobs. Hopefully we’ll see some of that in Miami over the next few years.

That’s what we have to hope happens. Even if we get close to the Patriots, Belichick is a master at adjusting, so even we get close to them, he can still out maneuver us. Once Brady is gone, maybe things even out a bit.

I’m not even focusing on dethroning the Pats at this time. I just want to see a competitive well coached team where even average players play good, smart football. Even if our record isn’t very good for a couple of years, but the games are competitive and fun to watch as we build this thing.

Man some of those scouts have been with Miami forever! Anthony Hunt 25 years?? Damn!

January 29, 2019 at 1:41 pm
    Got any good recommendations?

I recommend not drinking….It’s bad for your health. HA!

Next Fest I buy your choice.

Happy Birthday Cam Wake!! 37 years old tomorrow!

Mike E — not all with you on the Pat’s D, but got me to look up. They were #21 yards allowed and #7 in points. Maybe bend and don’t break works in the right system…. or the right guy calling the scheme changes.

Their offense puts a lot of pressure on opposing offenses to keep up. The Pats defense rarely plays trailing in games so they can play aggressive and opportunistic.

Stanger – They shut down Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. They didn’t those guys beat them, and although KC scored 31, they couldn’t get the ball to their big playmakers. That takes a lot of discipline to shut those guys down. No freelancing, just sticking to the assignment

Never said the Pats D was bad. I’ll take the Rams over theirs though. Hard to complain about what has made the Pats like they are though, even if put more on O than D.

Danny Shelton played DE for the Patriots. 6’2 345 is a BIG DE.

Was Burke with Schwartz in Detroit?

My favorite first line of an article today: “Give Rob Gronkowski credit, the man can defend against retirement questions a lot better than he can defend against Miami receivers.”

FUPA

MIKE HUNT!

Has anyone seen Mike Hunt!?

13: R1P13
    C ERIK MCCOY
    TEXAS A&M
    231: R7P15
    G ALEX BARS
    NOTRE DAME

Lock won’t be there in the 2nd, you know that Piggi

Donald had 20.5 sacks this year and Suh 4.5. How does that happen? Did Suh become a scheme guy rather than the point of a mix up attack? You’d think working with Donald would have set him free from double teams.

Stanger – Think of it this way . . . Rizzi interviewed for the HC job here, so you know that’s what he ultimately wants. Would you want a coach to be with the players he knows already, and is very well respected by those players hanging around? It’s not just that he might have his own agenda, but the players like Rizzi, so if things weren’t going well for Flores, Rizzi’s name would be coming up all the time to replace him.

Kind of what happened with Gregg Williams in CLE. Whichever guy out of the 2 (Kitchens and Williams) didn’t get the job, the other guy had to go, it just doesn’t work well.

It’s a good point Mike E. Even if would like to think Flores would take on Rizzi as a trusted partner instead. But maybe all the player calls for Rizz to be HC worked against him on that.

Rockphin says:
    January 29, 2019 at 4:44 pm
    MIKE HUNT!

Has anyone seen Mike Hunt!?
    ______________________________

yes, he’s hang’n with dick trickle.

January 29, 2019 at 6:30 pm
    That’s too bad but not uncommon. Good luck Rizz!
    ————–
    Yessir, good luck to Rizz. I’ve gotta think he’s one of the best positional coaches we’ve ever had. I can’t believe how he constantly churned out Ks and Ps as mere rooks year after year. I definitely respect that man.

Yesterday I posed the comment that “If ROSS orders his GM to take a QB in round one, he’d better be VERY quick on his feet, given our shortcomings in the O-Line,” or something to that effect. Seems to me that only Kyler Murray has both the foot speed and the passing on the run acumen to fit the bill. Or, am I wrong? BTW, I’m NOT convinced that 5’9″ Murray can’t possibly succeed in the NFL, given the successes of 5’10” Russell Wilson and 5’10” Drew Brees, who, despite what various sources MAY claim, is NOT 6′ tall or 6’1″ tall. I had occasion to stand next to Brees one time in Texas and I can testify that, at 6 feet even, I was a good 2 inches taller than Mr. Brees. AND THAT WAS 10 years ago!!!
    ——————–
    Some say “avoid QB’s this year and get the right QB next year.” Well, unless Miami has the worst or next to worst record in the NFL next season, there’s a very high probability that the guy we REALLY WANT (TUA???) will be off the board. I’ve always believed that, given the supreme importance of quarterbacking in the NFL, if YOU have an opportunity to grab “THE MAN,” you’d damn well better do it. Conversely, if the right guy is gone when we pick in April, I’d DEFINITELY get the best D-Lineman or O-Lineman available. In an ideal world, Miami would go stud QB round 1, then B.A.L. (best available lineman) in round 2 and round 3. I personally believe that’s unlikely to happen. But we can all dream, right??
    ——————
    Round 4 could be the time to take the best available LB or DB or, perhaps, ANOTHER guy at the edge. Round 5 I’d reserve DEVIN SINGLETARY, who ONLY SCORES TOUCHDOWNS and who Mr. Spikes has assurfed me will be long gone by then.
    —————-
    But we can all dream, right???

Dare to dream! Positive dreaming keeps our spirits uplifted and makes for innovation. Anything can happen!

PS: It’s JMO that Singletary is going to skyrocket up the boards after the Combine and/or Pro Day. I could very well be wrong, but that’s just my take at the moment. We’ll see!

mf13ss says:
    ST Danny Crossman
    TE George Godsey
    WR Karl Dorrell
    DB Tony Oden
    RB Eric Studesville
    QB Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell asst. HC as well. That’s an experienced advisor role of the pitfalls etc., but coaching QBs has always been his specialty. Good veteran guidance for Flores.

Not all these coaches have been coordinators but most of them have a lot of experience as NFL coaches. We’ll see. It’s going to be a very different team.

Mr. Campbell,

Do you notice Dane Brugler’s “#RB2” above? That means Singletary is his #2 rated RB in the entire 2019 Draft. Yeah, man… he’s not lasting to the 5th round!

I wouldn’t fret about Singletary being a small back. Remember… the HC and OC coming to Miami come from the land of little people making plays. LOL

Sucks to lose Rizzi. It’s too bad circumstance has created this inevitable scenario where he needs to move on from the Dolphins and the Dolphins need to let him go. He’s the best ST coordinator we’ve ever had. That unit has consistently made plays under his leadership, year in and year out.

From The Herald:

“Don’t underestimate the Rizzi loss. According to the Dolphins’ website, “since Rizzi was promoted to special teams coordinator in 2011, the Dolphins lead the NFL in punt blocks with 11 and are second with 22 overall blocks,” behind only Oakland’s 23.

And under Rizzi, the Dolphins were one of only two NFL teams in 2018 with both a punt return and a kickoff return for touchdowns.

The Dolphins had four successful onside kicks in 2017, believed to be the most in NFL history.

The Dolphins largely have deferred to Rizzi on draft decisions involving punters and kickers, and Rizzi made a smart choice by recommending Jason Sanders instead of other more highly touted kickers in last April’s draft.”

128. keep in mind the official results of the NFL Combine had Brees at a tad above 6′, 213lbs and Wilson at 5’11 and 204. Wilson is a bit heavier now than he was then.

There is no precedent for a guy who just barely hits 5’9″ and 190lbs playing qb. Despite his ability at the college level the pro game is completely different. At 5’9″ could he consistently find throwing lanes or is he going to be getting a lot of balls batted down? You can say he had a huge line in college and got it done but he didn’t have guys in his face like he will have at the next level.

IMO, Murray shouldn’t be taken before the 3rd rd, just like Wilson, but some NFL GM who thinks he knows better than anyone else will probably be taking him in the 1st. Good luck to that team.

129. To add to my comment on Murray above, if you remember Pat White playing for West Virginia, he was an unbelievable talent. He didn’t throw that much but when he ran the ball you couldn’t touch him. And I mean, you couldn’t touch him.

Once Pat White made the decision to run with the ball the guys on defense better hold onto their jock straps because he was just lights out. One hit in the NFL and his career was over. And Pat White was 6′ 197lbs.

130. If we are doing this right and we’re really looking at a rebuild I’m good with not doing well in yr 1 or yr 2 in order to get the team to the point where we need it. We may not even be completely where we want to be in year 3 and even that is okay as long as they keep their focus on building the team the right way and stop bringing in all the stopgap players they signed in the past.

To me, even if we’re not winning a lot of games it wouldn’t matter if you could see that they’re taking the right approach to building the team and getting it solid for the long haul. Let’s stop trying to win 8 or 9 games every year and start competing consistently for the division and championships.

I’m good with a solid 3 yr rebuild plan where in yr 4 and beyond we become a team to reckon with, a team that is in the conversation each and every year because we’ve finally got the right formula and don’t waiver from the “process”.

My hope is Grier knows what he “must do” and does it rather than doing what is popular and then the team continues to wallow in mediocrity.

I cant fathom this NE DC coming in here, taking control and be ok with tanking.

you can bet this coach is in win now mode and so will all his players be.

the only thing that can hold them back is being stingy with the salary cap on the FA market.

seems everytime we get a new HC we are starting over…doing this “the right way” we have refreshed…..
    i’m not buying into it anymore

Rob, even though the guy in charge has been with the Dolphins 18 years, you know he is going to work with Flores to bring in “their guys”. So there will be player turnover just like with every other regime change.

I think the word Tanking has been bandied around too much. No player or coach is going to game plan for 16 games hoping to lose for better draft position.

I think it will be more along the lines of what you suggest. NO high end FA’s, try to build through the draft and bring in younger less expensive FA to fill the holes and let the chips fall.

They most certainly will be trying to win games when they are out there on Sundays.

ALSO, I believe the whole “wallowing in mediocrity” because we are always a middle of the pack team is complete and utter bullshit. We are not stuck in mediocrity because we are always drafting in the middle of the rounds. That is horse shit. Before you reply, STOP. You are wrong.

Good teams constantly draft after us in every round and they continue to be good teams. It’s all about the management. which, with a home grown, promoted from the ranks GM does not give me the warm and fuzzy feeling that Grier will succeed.

Well let’s see, we stopped winning when we didn’t have a good Quarterback. This shouldn’t be too hard to figure out the problem. Hmmm

freak’n cold here…44 degrees!
    played forest lake yesterday, nice course

There’s and old saying mediocrity breeds mediocrity, but i do agree with you Rock, it’s the FO and coaches that separate the good teams from the bad

NEW BLOG UP!

January 30, 2019 at 8:48 am
    Who from the outside would give you that warm and fuzzy feeling?

Well, anyone I came up with would be conjecture. But someone who came from a successful program would be preferred.