Miami Dolphins 2021 Draft haul

No puff piece, or rah-rah cheerleading in this post. If you want that, stop reading and find another fan site. It’s not that I think we had a poor draft, we didn’t. I suppose my expectations seem to always exceed what we eventually accomplish in the draft. We seem to always be set up for a huge and successful haul with a bevy of picks and somehow we manage to deflate that big balloon of happiness. Each pick of the first 4 were good picks, but I could easily say 3 of the 4 weren’t picked where they should have been picked. We set ourselves up to get a few different players at #6, but I’d be lying if I didn’t expect either Kyle Pitts, or much more likely Ja’Marr Chase to be available there. They weren’t. With WR a huge need in my opinion, and apparently the Dolphins braintrust as well, we selected Jaylen Waddle. Very nice player, who could have easily made it to 10 or even 12. The more I think about it though, he’s actually a great fit here, so instead of trying to replace DeVante Parker with Ja’Marr Chase, we got a player who can be like Albert Wilson was for us before his injury, a guy that can take any pass to the house. In addition, he’s a great return man with steady hands, so no more holding your breath with Grant on punt returns.

I knew we were taking Jaelan Phillips, and I do feel it was the right pick, right place. He could really help this defense, a guy that can potentially make everyone else better. He’s a true technician and much more than just a 40 time or a great vertical or a quick step. While he has all of those abilities, he knows how to play the game and is no one trick pony. Can’t wait to see him in our defense, Flores is gonna love this kid.

Jevon Holland was a bit of a surprise, I didn’t see that coming. If I were in charge, I would have made sure we got that first pick in RD 2 and secured Javonte Williams. I felt like Trevon Moehrig was universally considered the best S in the draft and yet here we were taking Holland really early, at #36. I think I like Piggy’s description best, “He’s Minkah without the Fuckface”. I can live with that. We may have missed with Iggy last season, or maybe he shows up big this year. We’ll see what happens with Holland, and see how much and where we use him. Hope he proves worthy of such a high pick.

Next pick just 6 picks later at #42 after trading up was Notre Dame LT Liam Eichenberg. Nice player, I kind of expected a center before an OT but see the need there as well. He will probably shift to RT and be in competition with veteran Jesse Davis. I hope he plays well and becomes a bookend with young Austin Jackson. Heck, I’m still concerned with relying so heavily and Matt Skura. I didn’t care for that signing and now at this point, we have to pray he’s better than he was with the Ravens. I respect the Ravens as an organization that runs a tight, buttoned down ship. If they make you walk the plank there, they probably made a wise decision. Maybe it was a wake up call he needed, or maybe they were right. Time will tell.

We took another OT at pick #231, Larnel Coleman. Our savior RB finally came in at pick 244, in Cincinnati RB Gerrid Doaks. Doaks is a big powerful runner, who fumbles. Not a great combination. We’ll see if this kid can make all the roster cuts. To me it’s a shame we waited so long to address this but such is the life of an NFL fan.

I don’t do draft grades. I think we greatly improved our WR corps, I think we gave our defense a huge boost in the pass rush department. We’ll see if Holland can make our secondary, which was already excellent, even better. Maybe we found our bookend tackle in Eichenberg. Once again, I expected to make a killing in this draft, I think we just got a graze shot. It was all anticlimactic for me after the Phillips pick. Decent picks, but nothing that pumped me up. I was expecting so much more, I really was. I know, this guy or that guy gave us an A+, great . . . I look at our RB’s and see two guys who are so similar they may as well be the same guy in Myles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed. That’s not a bad thing, I like both of those guys, if they’re the 2 guys behind the stud. Well, no stud here friends, sorry, the draft was clean out out of top shelf talent by pick #35, because we let the Broncos jump us. With all that draft ammo, we should have been the aggressors and made it happen. Still smarting from that one.

Ultimately, a lot of our success, or failure lie in the hands of #1, QB Tua Tagovailoa. I think we got him a very nice player to work with in Jaylen Waddle. There’s synergy there already, and it’s good. He needs to have a guy he can rely on, a guy he has a rapport with and kind of understanding and unseen communication with. If DeVante Parker, Will Fuller and Preston Williams all are healthy this season, our passing game should be so much better. I’m still worried about the run game, with the 2 little guys (Gaskin and Ahmed) going down on contact every time. I know Malcolm Brown runs with more anger, but I he doesn’t impress me either. Maybe he will. Doaks is going to have to prove he can hold onto the football because if he’s running hard and fumbling easy he will be gone. Maybe Iggy Mahogany comes in this season better prepared and ready for prime time, and maybe Jevon Holland is the best safety in the draft and we look like geniuses.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

906 Responses to Miami Dolphins 2021 Draft haul

Not too much whine Mike E 😉nice article

Mike 6th line down, BUT not BIt
    Ja’Marr not Ja”marr
    with WR a huge need (Comma)
    10 or even (need a space)

ok, I am going to read the rest of the piece. (you should too. LOL)

Thanks, Maybe I should send you the article before I publish it. I really could use an editor, I just plop down and let it ramble. Would you be willing to do that for me? Seriously . . .

I knew were taking?

why is it always assumed that a guy who is an “adequate left tackle” will move to the right side? Perhaps they keep him at LT because he isn’t good enough to protect the blind side but good enough to protect the QB’s front side for a left hand thrower?

In this case, we already drafted a LT last year, and I don’t see him as bullish enough to be a RT. I think he’s more of a finesse guy, not a power player that you usually want on the right side.

Jaelan Phillips humble and happy to be drafted by Miami.

Maybe!

I hope so!

Good write up Mike.

Passionate write Mike E, and a good one. And yeah we always want it to go perfect, least as far as we see perfect. But a whole lot of talent joined the team. My only worry is that not enough playing time there in some spots (S and TE).

Like the Eichenberg pick. He might ever be All-Pro but should be a dependable bookend in this League for many years. Should start opening day. And we needed a T like that….. so there was need.

Good write, Mike. Like I’ve been saying for weeks leading up to the draft all that matters is if the guys we drafted help make us a better team. That’s when the draft grades will mean something.

Thanks guys, appreciate it

LOL at thought of Rock as editor for the blog. First article will be entitled STAND THE FUCK UP

11. Marinofan13 says:

As the hours and days pass by, the more and more I’m liking this Draft class for us. Still wish we’d addressed RB far earlier and taken a Center at some point, but this Draft class looks to be pretty good at this moment in time… and time shall reveal.

Mike E, good write… you echoed many of my thoughts and we’re on the same page in essence, though I might have a more positive outlook than you. It’s all good, regardless!

Thanks. I’m not especially negative, I think I made it clear a lot has to do with my own high expectations. Armed with all those early picks I expected great things, got good ones instead

12. naplesfan2010 says:

No way to argue with what you wrote Mike. Spot on.

13. Marinofan13 says:

Stanger, nice post on the last page, referencing “Deep Thoughts” by Jack Handey!!! 😀

“One thing vampire children have to be taught early on is, don’t run with wooden stakes.”

• Marinofan13 says:

LMAO!!! 😀 😆

• Marinofan13 says:

Stanger, that was Phil Hartman (RIP) who voiced Jack Handey, right?

He did it on his own for a while as brief interludes, but they eventually turned it into a skit. Not sure who it was….. was thinking Will Ferrel.

14. naplesfan2010 says:

Nfl total access had articles on who the best fit was for the teams that drafted them. At WR they picked Waddle #1. And at edge they picked Phillips #1.

• Marinofan13 says:

I concur! Like Mike E, my expectations were greater than what we got, but I still think we did a very good job.

Great to see ya, Naples!

15. naplesfan2010 says:

The TE we picked led the entire FBS in catches.

• Marinofan13 says:

Tape > college stats, but that is an interesting fact. I felt we reached on Hunter Long, but hopefully he’s going to be a standout for us.

16. naplesfan2010 says:

Before the draft, Chris Simms picked Waddle as his #1 WR and Phillips as his #1edge rusher. He also said Phillips seems better against the run than he is against the pass.

I don’t mind that they didn’t pick a RB at all….maybe that makes me a little more accepting of this draft. Overall I think they did a good job of addressing some needs. The picks themselves don’t really wow me. We’ll see how they turn out in a couple years.

18. Phindog says:

Speaking of good to see ya. Haven’t heard from ER in a while. Hope he’s doing good.

Second. You never know why people aren’t seen. Only reason I couldn’t disappear into the night is a bunch of you have my contact info.

Does BC still throw the ball a ton? I’ve always kind of ignored BC players’ stats as far as passing because they seem to always throw the ball all over the place and have big numbers.

Armed with all those early picks I expected great things, got good ones instead
    _________________________________________

Because we didn’t take Najee, this draft expectations went from great to good?

that’s because Najee has had more exposure than most of the drafted players along with Pitts and chase. you just see the flash and want it.
    he didn’t fit the dolphins RB mold, to tall, easy target to locate.

i had no expectations, because you won’t know the end result of this draft for years.

when malcom brown starts ripping off 5 & 6 yard runs and puts Brisett in easy down and distance, we start having success,

you’ll forget all about Harris and throw away your Najee pajamas

MF13,
    Damn, I forgot him already. Lol

22. naplesfan2010 says:

The RB we drafted forced 25 missed tackles on just 144 carries. He also averaged 3.36 yds after contact. He had 17 out of 144 carries go more than 10 yards. He posted a 39,5 vertical.

In his highlights he made several fingertip or spinning pass rsmash out;
    all of the above are really good signs for a 5.11 220 pound smashmouth.

Cincinnati had really good success while he was there.

23. naplesfan2010 says:

Our gap of 150 selections between picks is believed to be the greatest in a single draft.

24. Marinofan13 says:

Randy,

I’m sure you saw our guy Chauncey Golston go off the board 3 picks after we selected Hunter Long in the 3rd round. That sucked!

I think Jack Handey voiced his own ‘Deep Thoughts’ in the SNL skits.

He did. Was thinking they turned it into a longer skit for a while, but could be completely wrong and was just one with a character who spouted out similar.

• Marinofan13 says:

But it was Phil Hartman who read the intro: “And now, Deep Thoughts… by Jack Handey”. THAT’S what I was thinking of! But yes, CavKong is right!

26. naplesfan2010 says:

Randy
    They changed coaches for 2020, but before that they had that old school rush heavy guy. In 2019 for example,, they rushed for 3540 yds on 658 attempts and passed for 2288 on 305 attempts.
    So our new guy was used successfully as an inline blocker a lot.
    Then they changed coaches to a more modern offense for 2020 and our new TE blossomed to lead the nation.

Can’t find any news on signed UDFA ….have we announced ANY ?

• naplesfan2010 says:

Middle Tennessee website reports we signed the OL who was stout in the senior bowl, Big Rob somebody, who was given a 4th round grade by some. Roadgrader type but no pass pro technique. We paid him 130000 I think to entice him to us after Detroit tried to sign him first. That’s a lot for a UDFA.
      We think he’s coachable and we’ve already coached him.

28. Marinofan13 says:

CavalierKong says:
    May 2, 2021 at 4:19 pm
    I think Jack Handey voiced his own ‘Deep Thoughts’ in the SNL skits.
    ————
    Ah! You are correct! I’m recalling the intro of, “And now, Deep Thoughts… by Jack Handey”, as being read by Phil Hartman.

Good job!

• Marinofan13 says:

Here’s one for ya, CavKong (being it mentions part of your name)…

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ~ Jack Handey

Mike E,

Great article and I really appreciate the rare times we disagree. I think you focused too much on an elite RB even though I’d love to have gotten one. Two of the lowest paid positions were ignored so I’m ok with it.

We got potential starters in the first 4 so I’m happy. I think Waddle and Phillips will be a big reason if we get in the playoffs this year. I see great things so I’ll be the homer for this thread.

Thanks New Age – I thought we should have gotten one of the top 2 because I feel like there was a huge drop off after that. Obviously, the FO’s priorities were not the same as mine. It’s funny though how a very even keel team the Steelers prioritized the RB when they had one of the worst O-lines in the NFL last season. Things that make you go Hmmmm

Yes Mike E , very even keeled write.. and agree with ya that as Fans we had delusions of grandeur wanting the best of the best at all positions available, and a lot of us felt the potential to get an A Plus RB between 18 and 36 was wasted , or not properly utilized… I was surprised with the CB and TE picks , but cest la vie, FO has their plan.

31. Marinofan13 says:

Cam Newton post soon after he heard about the Pats taking Mac Jones. In case you find it hard to read: “It was always me vs. the world until I found out it’s me vs. me”

Welcome to the NFL Jones…. hope you weren’t looking for a mentor.

• bookman11 says:

Can is a dick like Rodgers

• bookman11 says:

Cam

A friend of mine who’s a big Packers fan also thinks Rodgers is a drama queen. My friend is also a gay man and thinks Rodgers is still in the closet and will come out once he’s done playing. I found that interesting.

33. Marinofan13 says:

Stanger and CavKong, here’s an entire playlist for “Deep Thoughts”… enjoy!

34. Marinofan13 says:

BBL…

35. naplesfan2010 says:

We might’ve gotten 6 starters in one draft.
    That would be epic.
    Waddle and Phillips will start.
    Eichenberg will be given every chance to start at blindside (RT) forTua.
    He hasn’t given up a sack in 2 YEARS.
    Hunt would be a mauler inside next to Liam.
    We need a captain and CF with ball skills in the defensive backfield.
    You know Flores loves the new safety because he picked him over 2 excellent safeties,
    So he is already penciled in to start.
    If, no WHEN, we start games in run it down their throat mode, the new TE will start.
    Does anybody think Mack Brown is an auto starter after starting 2 games in his career?
    Gaskin probably starts, but he is by definition a change of pace guy.
    And we WILL want to dominate TOP, and Gaskin goes down on contact.
    See above stats on the new RB.
    Voila, 6 starters in 1 draft.
    EPIC.

36. naplesfan2010 says:

That new safety did have 9 INTs in 2 seasons. Plus he loves to hit people. He plays safety like X plays corner. Deny them the ball. Run the route better than the receiver.

I said the same thing the other day “He plays safety like X plays corner”. Heads the route and has the hands to get the pick. I think his role will be much like what we wanted to do with Minkah, move him around for matchups and schemes.

37. naplesfan2010 says:

I find it refreshing that felt no need to have 10 picks it sign 15 UDFA.

It means we are stuffed with good plyers instead of desperately searching for acorns.

38. naplesfan2010 says:

I wanted one of the 3 top RBs also, but Saquon has not brought NY to the SB, nor Zeke nor Derrick Henry. Our castoff Damien Williams took KC to the SB.

39. naplesfan2010 says:

Tim yes on the Minkah comp, but he’s a team first guy, or Flores would not have drafted him out of order like he did. We literally RAN the card up to make that pick.

Not sure he was drafted out of order, not all teams’ boards match what we’ve been reading from mocksters for months. We might have had a 1st round grade on him.

40. naplesfan2010 says:

Regarding gay in the closet, I’ve always thought that about Cam Newton.

I think that boy is monosexual. If he could fuck himself, I think he would! Pardon the vulgarity

You’re not the only one who thinks that. I’ve heard people say that quite a bit. My friend also told me he knows for a fact that Troy Aikman liked latino men. He’s an event planner and I’m talking top notch for celebrities and very wealthy people. So he’s seen some stuff.

• David Collins says:

cam is not gay, he has a new girlfriend he left his wife over, lol that confirms it

he also has several children, i dont think they came from romps at the gay bars

41. naplesfan2010 says:

Tim yeah I find sarcasm hard to text sometimes. We need a new punctuation mark to denote “sarcasm here”

42. naplesfan2010 says:

Mike E. Yeah, autosexual for sure. And Aikman has that more predatory type gay lip sneer thing like he wants some service first and then he’ll use you.

Pardon the vulgarity.
    I’m not against gay people at all, but I do not like Troy or that type I think he might be. (And what’s up with lil Joe Buck?)

There are a lot of celebrity and wealthy people who are gay and in the closet because they think it will ruin their careers. Not sure that would be the case for a lot of them anymore, it’s more accepted now, but they still prefer to keep it hidden.

43. naplesfan2010 says:

Please delete the above. I am not homophobic. I have gay friends I respect.

I don’t like arrogant straight people either.

You didn’t say anything inappropriate. I’m the one who brought it up because I just talked to my friend about it discussing the Packers draft. He then brought up this other stuff.

Have no problem with what you wrote, just don’t know how you can know. I’m a married guy too…. someone says I’m gay would be like WTF?

44. naplesfan2010 says:

Ok I need to stick to football. I apologize to everyone. I have no right to doubt anyone’s preferences. I am open minded about it all anyway. Sorry.

Troy Aikman is married. Aaron Rodgers has dated a string of hot women (Danica Patrick and Olivia Munn included) and last heard was engaged to a Hollywood star. But hey — maybe they go both ways.

Or maybe they just go one way, and not the way they’re trying so hard to make you think they’re going. In the end, who cares? Nothing wrong with any of it. If they’re doing it to hide something that’s their prerogative. Maybe they just don’t want the drama that can ensue.

“IF” is the big part of that. Just don’t see why gay guys marry a women.

My friend mentioned those relationships Rodgers had as a ruse. Yes lots of people swing both ways. Not that there is anything wrong with that. LOL

But if he swings both ways how does he know Rodgers isn’t actually planning on marrying a woman? Seems a fake engagement doesn’t make sense. Could have stuck with the starlet beards.

It’s just one man’s opinion based on some reasons why he thinks that. We didn’t spend a lot of time talking about it. He happened to bring it up. Lots of people who are married still swing the other way. Some swingers don’t just swap spouses, they all do each other.

Fair enough. Only man in the country can say doesn’t do other dudes me.

It’s not my thing either, but I have been proposed. A simple no thanks was always my response.

Why is it that it seems the same people that bitch about trading up to take Eichenberg also bitch about missing out on Williams?

These same people bitch about taking Waddle at 6, because we could’ve gotten him at 12455 6th

Since ColonPokey hasn’t arrived with his Cowboys helmet yet, I’ll cover for him? I was amazed by Aikman’s ability to put the ball exactly in the right place but now I’m not?

On another note, what’s the thoughts on Rodgers? Is he going to push himself out or play? Will hr just retire? Someone on another blog stated he has a ton of saved money, a fiancée on the west coast, and possibly a job there as well. Does he need football now?

48. naplesfan2010 says:

I must’ve missed the melissa stark thing . I don’t get it.

49. Marinofan13 says:

Re: A-Rod…

I’m hearing it’s possible he has personal beef with the Packers’ GM. There’s a rumor going around that if the Packers don’t fire their GM, A-Rod will retire.

50. naplesfan2010 says:

I’ve had 2 business colleagues whose husbands came out gay and divorced the women (my colleagues), one with 2 kids and the other with 3.

• New Age says:

I have real issues with that usually. If you had an idea you didn’t like women in that way, why bring kids into a messy situation? It’s pretty irresponsible especially once you go past 1 kid.

53. NJ PHIN FAN says:

👀👀👀👀

“I don’t like him. I love him. In two years, we’ll be talking about a Pro Bowl tight end.”

– NFL Network analyst former Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli on Hunter Long 🐬🔥

55. NJ PHIN FAN says:

“Miami’s first five picks over the course of three rounds were all guys who I had ranked in my top 60. It was a masterful Thursday and Friday for general manager Chris Grier.”

– ESPN’s Todd McShay

56. NJ PHIN FAN says:

“The Dolphins came away with four players that could’ve been first round picks.”

– NFL Network’s Charlie Casserly

Hey NJ!
    How you been?

58. NJ PHIN FAN says:

Sorry . Is well !!

59. NJ PHIN FAN says:

Maurice Jones-Drew says Jevon Holland is the best defensive player in the draft 👀

60. Marinofan13 says:

NJ!!!

Welcome back, Bro!!! How the heck are ya, man?!!

Welcome back NJ!!!!!

Counting down to the season starts.

NJ saw you the other day, nice to see you.

64. Marinofan13 says:

Wow, NJ Phin Fan. It’s been a minute. Welcome back.

#6 We drafted an explosive playmaking WR who can also do jet sweeps and returns. Remember ludicrous speed. 😉

#18 Prototype edge rusher that fits our scheme.

#36 DB who is versatile and a ballhawk.

#42 OT who has played both sides.

#81 Prototype TE with a well rounded game.

#231 Another OL prospect.

#244 RB with some size and skill.

67. bailbondmike says:

Wyoming, thanks for the clip on Robert Jones. Handled that rusher like it was an easy day at the office. I remember him being mentioned in a draft diamond article a couple months ago about small school prospects.

I love stuff like this. Destroy the backfield, bro!!!!

ck out apprx 10:00 mark, good film study on Jevon Holland

• David Collins says:

thanks for the vid, cant wait to see our draft picks in the regular season, AND playoff games

70. David Collins says:

i do find it funny that some AMericans are deathly afraid of socialism and liberalism, like its gonna kill em off or something, lol

but to be honest, we live in an ultra liberal nation, extreme liberal socialism/capitalism mix

just a short list
    Most AMericans are pro choice
    Most dont have a gun
    Most have received 3 stimulous checks from the government
    Food stamps
    Unemployment,
    Obamacare
    subsidies for working mothers and child care
    liberal president, with record amount of votes
    liberal controlled senate
    liberal controlled house

thats enough for now, but think on this, IF you are terrified of socialism, then are You planning to leave the nation for Your own safety? trust Me, socialism is not the scary monster the conservatives spin it out to be, its just another word for representation for taxpayers, the reason we left england and call ourselves AMerican
    embrace it, and if You dont agree, ill take Your stim checks off your hands to help You out, lol

Being pro choice, favoring common sense gun reform and stimulus checks doesn’t make one a socialist. This is not a socialist system of government have demonstrated that socialism should be on the scrap heap of history as a system of both government and economics that didn’t work. Socialist don’t use Bitcoin

• David Collins says:

no it doesnt, but it means the nation has MANY MANY liberal policies, people in charge, etc

we cant say that the AMericans dont like liberalism they revel in it

but some deny it until that check is in their hand, then its the hell with conservatism, i need the money, lol

• David Collins says:

socialists love bitcoin, not sure why you would say that

if they dont love it, they sure are buying it for some reason

Busting stones about Bitcoin but my point is in a socialist system there is no day trading and there would be no stock market. Liberalism is one thing David socialism is another. Don’t confuse them as the same thing . That is a way too simplistic analysis

• David Collins says:

fair enough, i was just disagreeing with your statement that socialists dont use bitcoin, i know the world buys the crap out of it , lol

and agreed those things might not make one a socialist, but they definitely are liberal policies, no question of that

You can have my stimulus checks, but you also have to pay my taxes, when they go up and compensate me for the inflation caused by the extended lockdowns and the trillions added to the debt from the endless printing of money

71. David Collins says:

i have asked 2 of my conservative friends to give me their stim checks since they believe its wrong

but, none did, they deposited them in the bank with a smile, proving that even conservatives are extremely liberal when it benefits them, and instead of afraid, they were happy

72. David Collins says:

i dont really care about the labels one way or the other, i just dont like to see fellow Americans living in fear, because some asshole spin doctor told them to be very afraid of venezuela 24/7

i figure if you bury your unjustified fears, then You wont have any

73. David Collins says:

many think bitcoin is losing its queen of the coins status within a year , ethereum will catch up to it

74. David Collins says:

and RIP Jackson Palmer, the co creator of Dogecoin passed away saturday night

doge coin has made many people very wealthy, that had no shot at being wealthy without it.

its the great wealth equalizer for all

• David Collins says:

does Gurley still have tread on his tires? i havent watched him lately, but it looks like Miami was willing to give him an opportunity

Hulk always been big Gurley man … I mean fan. Hulk like idea of Gurley in a rotating backfield

Our RB room lacks an every down elite back, that’s not Gurley, just say no

We got a top 5 draft grade taken from the average of 18 analysts.

Fans in general weren’t as impressed, but use a different standard to determine a good draft.

Believe the analysts just go by the players taken on a team level and not by individual slot.

Fans want to squeeze every bit of value out, that they can.

Maybe in the 60’s or 70’s we had better drafts, but after Marino was drafted I’d bet this one has brought the most quality players.

5 guys that bring a lot of talent is an exceptional draft, plus a future 1st

NJ Serving up the Koolaid last night I see.

I love reading positive things about my Dolphins even if it is from random people like Maurice Jones-Drew

3 biggest needs on D from Crabbs

What were those three primary needs?

Middle linebacker
    Designated pass rusher
    Nickel cornerback

With the majority of free agency and the 2021 NFL Draft behind us, Miami’s biggest chance to address such needs have come and one. And one thing that has to make Miami fans feel good is just how much the team did to take care of these defensive soft spots.

The inside linebacker role not only saw the Dolphins bring back Elandon Roberts, but the team also traded for ILB Benardrick McKinney to man the middle. His presence as a big body in the middle capable of filling gaps with authority will go a long way to ensure that Miami has the interior group on defense to be stout up the middle.

The pass rusher role was filled most effectively through the draft with the addition of this year’s best pass rusher, Jaelan Phillips. Phillips doesn’t have the cleanest resume as it pertains to healthy and durability, but he was fully healthy in 2020 and the end result was a masterful season as a disruptive presence for the Hurricanes. The challenge Miami faces is hoping that Phillips can be an impact player right away for them. But if he is, the defense will reap the benefits.

And at nickel cornerback, Miami went “all-in” to find a new presence. The team did bring back RFA Nik Needham but also signed free agent Justin Coleman and drafted Oregon safety Jevon Holland to play a role all over the secondary as well. One of his frequent alignments in college? You guessed it.

In the slot.

It seems as though Miami felt similarly with their roster assessment at the end of the season. And, thankfully, the team acted confidently to move and fill those needs ahead of the 2021 season.

Agree with these 3 needs, and that they’ve been filled. Let’s see howbquick they can get up to speed

Mike, I just noticed your reply to my “Editing Posts” Yes, I would be honored to proof read your articles before you post them. You have my Cell number. I’ll text you my E-mail address. Now I don’t read my e-mail every day so if you send one to be proof read, shoot me a text to let me know.

How have the Dolphins addressed their primary offensive needs?
    Crabbs

Back at the beginning of the 2021 offseason, we profiled what we felt were the Miami Dolphins’ three biggest needs on each side of the football were. Offensively, the punch list for the Dolphins was painfully obvious down the stretch. But given the way the Dolphins attacked their rebuild during the 2020 offseason (with a heavy focus on defense), that wasn’t necessarily a surprise. But the time for upgrade opportunities is wearing thin. How have the Dolphins done?

Here were our three primary needs on offense:

Wide receiver
    Running back
    Interior line

The biggest area of improvement falls with the wide receivers. Miami tabbed two speedsters in Will Fuller (free agency) and Jaylen Waddle (NFL Draft) to help bolster the skill group and we have a feeling creating after the catch will be a little easier for Dolphins receivers this year as as result. Too many times we saw the Dolphins struggle to break big plays due to the presence of bigger receivers — that problem is alleviated to some degree with the addition of these two burners.

And the offensive line appears to be improved as well. Ereck Flowers’ departure is addition by subtraction and the free agent signing of DJ Fluker should not be overlooked. But Miami also exchanged Ted Karras for Matt Skura at center (a push?) and added Liam Eichenberg with a trade-up in the 2nd-round. Regardless of where Eichenberg plays, Miami can re-shuffle the deck and find improved play at a guard spot with him in the mix.

The running back position didn’t get the glow up that many fans wanted this season. It also didn’t get the investment attention that the other two needs on offense did. But the Dolphins did add Malcolm Brown in free agency and Gerrid Doaks in the 7th-round to bring more size and physicality to the group.

Miami’s investments, much like on defense, aligned with our assessment of the roster at the end of the 2020 season. Now comes the fun part: finding out who can fill what voids for the 2021 season and beyond.

WR drastically improved
    RB moderately improved
    IOL G check, C still an issue

Just getting to the article now

That happens to all of us, because as fans we want that perfect draft, but once reality sets in and I realize it’s not going to happen, I adjust my evaluation and look at the players we took

To say 3 of the 4 weren’t picked where they should’ve been to me means you didn’t understand our needs.

Biggest issue on D last year was covering the slot.

We were all surprised by the Holland pick, but after watching tape on him and realized he’s a safety, that specialized in the slot, it changed my view from WTF to great pick.

There were no reaches from the first 4 picks IMO, maybe we could’ve gotten the same guys later maybe not, but when you try to have that perfect draft you usually wind up with your dick in your hand, so I’m good with where these guys were taken.

Maybe a better way of saying it would be the positional priority.

RT is a lot more important, than having an upgrade at C, we can roll with Skura.

Same goes for RB, it’s not as important as having a Swiss army knife and nickel DB

Great article Mike!

Didn’t know of Doaks’ fumbling issues, will have to check it out

331 carries and 4 fumbles over 3 years. It’s a concern, that I’m sure will need to be taken care of, but it’s not really that worrisome yet.

Would need to see the fumbles and why they happened, but not at this time for a 7th rder

On Doaks, is 4 fumbles in 367 touches a lot? 1% I’m not trying to steer an answer here, am really interested in the responses. Is fumbing 1% of the time “bad”

I know ANY fumble is “Bad” but is that a bad rate?

AP fumbled 5 times one year on probably 350 carries and it seemed like a major issue.

2 times on 144 carries last year, not that big of a deal depending on when they happened.

Sammy Smith fumbled for us twice in a short period of time at the goal line and Shula shipped him out.

Someone will need to work with him on it, but its not a huge red flag, maybe defcon 4

I have been looking this morning at different web-sites depth charts for the Dolphins and my one takeaway is this:
    NOONE (probably not even our coaches) know where each o-Lineman is going to play. LOL
    You can find every combination of every player it seems like.

The plan is, from left to right, Jackson, Kindley, Skura, Hunt, Eichenberg from what I can tell, but its a work in progress, if someone isn’t getting it done in camp they’ll be replaced.

There’s plenty of time and the competition will be fierce, but if Eichenberg is ready no reason he doesn’t start

Just out of curiosity because I realize you do not have a crystal ball or NFL tealeaves, why do you assume that Eichenberg will swap sides and not Jackson? They both played LT in college.

The biggest surprise for me on the line last year was them putting Hunt out there protecting Tua’s blind side.

steveccnv says:
    May 3, 2021 at 11:16 am
    You guys are killin me🤪

Thing is Steve, we are both sincere and there is no sarcasm involved.

Miami Dolphins guarantee UDFA Robert Jones 130K to sign with them

He can play anywhere on the OL, but has weak feet, and will likely be on the PS this year.

I don’t get why they’d guarantee this type of project money

Unless of course the clueless Brian Miller that wrote the article is just that

• bailbondmike says:

I didn’t see weak feet in that video Wyoming put up. Of course, that was one practice snap.

Lol, that’s what I’m talking about, consider the source.

That’s how articles are these days, someone writes an opinion on someone, the next doesn’t check it and passes it as fact.

Just like Mike in his article says, Doaks has fumbling issues, because that’s one of his weaknesses as reported by a scouting report☺

Today is deadline for 5th year options. It’s a good reminder that not all picks work out. So far, 6 players did not get the 5th year option. Five more are still in limbo. They could still get a new contract later but this is a wake up call to at least 20% of the 2018 first round.

Rock

Fwiw

This scouting report projects Eichenberg as a RT

I really just sort of assumed he would be RT bc it’s easier to covert one guy to RT than to covert 2 guys to a position. They didn’t replay last year. So leave Jackson at LT seems ideal

Gets messy with Tua’s blindside coming into it. At that point RT is really LT. And don’t forget they put Jackson in as LT when the plan was Fitz at QB.

If you look at it unit by unit, Dolphins will be a better team opening day than were last year.

Is there one place they are worse? Only thing can come up with is at QB with Fitz not there. DBs, LBs, WRs, TEs all better. OL and DL at least a push.

Plus all the youngsters are a year older and we have like no players on the decline. That’s improvement you don’t have to put in a draft card for.

Worse possibly at C, but we’ll see, for sure better at RB, WR, TE,

Was looking at OL as a unit. But if that’s only place worse when looking at each starting player all the better.

Let’s say we traded down to 11 and both Waddle and Smith were gone, so we took Parsons, then at 18 we took Najee, at 36 we took the Dickerson, 50 Tutu Atwell

Would you guys have felt better about the draft?

Anyone that had a problem with our draft do a post draft mock draft and we’ll grade you

Nah — then we would have hit our needs but not gotten the talent at wide out everyone wanted. Xtra 1st for the trade down would have been loved only in passing. 🙂

Both guys we took in the 2nd I think are being under valued here, both will be big contributors

Long may take a while to get going

Kiper loves our 7a pick

Brings us back to the Pitts convos, but Mike Gesicki ain’t normally a TE.

621 snaps (2021);
    365 slot (58.8%),
    133 wide (21.4%),
    122 in-line (19.6%)

Might be part of the answer as to why Hunter Long.

I think all of you guys over-think things more than I do. That’s a lot.

Gonna be some competition at wideout.
    ————————————–
    Parker, Fuller, Waddle, Preston Williams and Lynn Bowden Jr. are likely locks to be on Miami’s opening day roster.

That leaves Grant, Wilson, Hurns, Mack Hollins. Isaiah Ford, Malcolm Perry, Robert Foster, Kirk Merritt and Kai Locksley fighting for one, maybe two roster spots.

• pheloniusphish says:

I don’t know that Williams or Bowden are locks. Hollins is a special teams ace so he probably makes it.

Williams is on the active roster if healthy, but that is a Q with him. Thought Bowden for sure before, but was pre-Waddle. Could change things up.

D says:
    May 3, 2021 at 9:38 am
    Rhino says:
    May 2, 2021 at 10:45 am
    Steveccnv,
    yesterday you used the phrase “he doesn’t know shit from shinola” …

That was my dad’s favorite saying when he knew that he knew more than the guy b.s.ing him. First time I’ve heard (or read) that phrase since he passed 15 years ago.

Made me smile.

steveccnv says:
    May 2, 2021 at 11:07 am
    My dad’s too, haven’t heard him say that, since the 90s
    —————————————————————
    My Dad used it frequently as well.

D says:
    May 3, 2021 at 9:43 am
    May 2, 2021 at 2:11 pm
    Ken – That’s the issue for me. I really think RB was a clear need for our roster. I hate that the guy we finally got is either a back end of the roster guy or maybe a PS candidate. We’re a now team, we should have a legit weapon at RB now.
    —————————————————–
    Perhaps we saw more opportunity to pick up a vet on the cheap, maybe a 1 year for them to hit FA again, meaning they will be all out for us and we just delayed the position in the draft until next year?

Stanger expressed my point better than I. Blind side vs left side or right side. Most evaluators evaluate LT and RT based upon RIGHT HAND QB’s. Do you flip the evaluation for a LEFT HAND QB? Blind side protectors need to be a better at pass blocking and vision side protectors are typically the run side. But with only two lefties in the league how do you evaluate that?

I think you eval OT’s the same these days, this whole run side blind side pass pro thing is less relevant than it was before.You need both to do both well.Skill set is almost identical, starts with great feet, then technique, then quickness/anchor for speed to power and power to speed moves.

You’d like both to do well, but which one plays the blindside? If all other things are similar you play the better one on the blindside

Maybe I’m old school, but I put the best pass protector on the blind side. And they both played LT last year. Someone has to switch.

But then maybe one of them is far better at run blocking and we want to run right. Something for the coaches to sort out.

May 3, 2021 at 2:41 pm
    Gonna be some competition at wideout.
    ————————————–

—————————————————————-
    Im thinking Williams is less of a lock than Bowden. Bowden has versatility and that will help him, he is also a ST’er. Grant has a chance to stick as well, not sure id go as far as lock, but if he has shown marked improvement on securing the football, he has pretty elite speed and return skills. Thats not the role i want Waddle doing personally, so i hope they arent gonna hand that off to him.

I guess no matter how ya cut it, outside of Parker, Waddle and Fuller, whats going to make or break the rest of them would be utility and ST contributions. I think that gives Bowden a leg up. I think Perry has a leg up on the rest. If i were going to keep 6, and i do think 6 is how many they will keep, id Go with the aforementioned 3, plus Perry, Bowden and probably Williams, but that last sport is down to William and Merritt. Merritt might seem like an odd consideration, but he’s skilled like Ford but more dynamic and the rest are just jags to me. Foster was at UA with Tua for Foster’s Senior year so there is some familiarity with him, but its not a deep connection.

• pheloniusphish says:

They pretty much said one of the reasons they liked Waddle over Smith was his return skills so I see him returning kicks or punts. or both.

Hollins is a better receiver and STs player than Perry, so no way in he’ll Perry sticks.

Parker, Fuller, Waddle, Williams, Bowden and Hollins are my 6

I think regardless of where each guy winds up playing / starting that there is going to be a lot of cross training again this season. I seems the coaches like to be able to mix and match players rather than just saying “this is the depth chart at LT” They did a whole lot of shuffling last year when guys went down.

I would prefer a plug and play arrangement where the next guy steps up, but three years running they have shuffled the line when someone went down. (the best 5?)

Nice point read today is that Liam Eichenberg can play G. Just like Hunt and Davis can play G an T. Other than C….. this line is position flexible.

Yeah I watched highlights of him and he was lined up at LG on some of the plays.

Besides the best guy being next man up you likely only carry 7 or 8 as active on GameDay, so its not like college where you have set positions

With the new CBA rule expanding game day rosters to 48, 8 of them have to be OL.

I didn’t think they could make Thursday Night football any worse………

Then they did. Thursday Night Football just ceased to exist in my world. It IS only a 16 week schedule again now.

I wish they’d just get rid of Thursday night games altogether, but $$$$$

I think 7 playoff teams per conference is here to stay as well. $$$$

Couldn’t care less about Thurs nite games, but yeah think the 7 team playoff format is here to stay. Real hard to take it back once you’ve done it.

Only way a good to go Preston Williams doesn’t make the team is if they figure will switch Waddle to boundary if Parker or Fuller go down. Then would be more worried about depth with the slot/special teams guys.

Gotta laugh cause this is Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay. Wonder what Brett Favre thought when Rodgers was drafted? He sure went on to other teams.
    —————————–
    Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay. The reason is general manager Brian Gutekunst. The GM drafted quarterback Jordan Love in the first round in 2020 without letting Rodgers know, which is where the trouble started. Rodgers reached his boiling point when Gutekunst reportedly declined to give Rodgers a new contract with new guaranteed money after his recent MVP season.

According to Robinson, Rodgers won’t return to the Packers if Gutekunst is still the GM.

What makes the Rodgers thing more interesting is it’s not a single owner deciding between his HOF QB and his GM. I believe the structure is a board elected by the shareholders that then establishes a committee to make football decisions, right?

Packers should trade Rodgers to Houston for Watson, and don’t tell either beforehand, let them find out from their phone ringing

They were talking about the Dolphins draft and then touched on not drafting a RB. Can’t remember the guy’s name who covers the Pats, but he said that Flores said we’re going to run the ball, and that adding Fuller and Waddle should keep teams from stacking the box which will open up the running game.

I think it highly unlikely it went down like this. Everyone under the sun thought we were taking Williams. It wouldn’t have taken some leaked secret intel, lol.

I think if any strings were pulled, it was us pulling them to make sure ATL didn’t take Holland.

We’re never going to know because the Dolphins aren’t going to say Williams was their target.

As for RB, as long as the group we have can be productive who cares about one guy being the bell cow and getting the stats.

“Broncos GM George Paton made a move because of “intel” he received that the Miami Dolphins were drafting Williams with the 36th overall pick”

Maybe the “intel” came from reading this board.
      My way of saying had to be obvious.

Yep! I just posted a short summary of exactly that. This article confirms they like Gaskin, Ahmed and Brown. Improving the OL is also key in improving the running game.

I’m not too worried about having a top RB. I’ve never believed that a top flight bell cow RB is the be all end all. It’d be nice, but as long as our oline improves, our running game will too.

We were worst in the league at yds after contact. That’s because our biggest RB was about 200 lbs. We needed a bigger back to pair with our smaller guys, and we have that in Brown and now Doaks (if he makes the team).

Because Doaks plays STs I think he has a good chance to make the team.

What the article confirms is they know how to CYA.

Who knows, if they really believe that BS

What I know is they liked the guys they took 1-5 a lot

If we really wanted any of the top three RBs we could have pulled it off. We passed. That tells me we like what we have. Flores said the same thing I did about Malcolm Brown after we played the Rams last year. After that game I said we could use a back like him added to the mix. Well we signed him. 😉

Thinking about which OL plays where t’s very possible Eichenberg plays guard along with Kindley. Then maybe Jackson stays at LT and Hunt at RT or maybe they flip sides. If Eichenberg plays tackle Hunt moves to guard. The coaches will figure that all out but last year’s rookies should improve in their 2nd season. Eichenberg being a senior and starting every game for ND since 2018 should have prepared him to step right in to start as a rookie. This will be something we’ll all be paying close attention too. 🙂

If Hunt wasn’t going to G they would have taken a G in the draft. Only Q is who is RT and who is LT.

Eichenberg can play guard. Like I said we’ll see how it plays out but we have more options and flexibility now. I like what the team has done on the OL. Sure lots of us wanted a center but maybe they’re okay with what we have with Skura and Deiter.

May 3, 2021 at 5:16 pm
    And Rodgers has the right to retire. Seems GB doesn’t want him to though. Should they accept his decision on that?
    _____________________________

I wouldn’t think they would have a choice in the matter.

the NFL season is weird, it starts in sept, for most teams it ends beginning of jan, 4 months, then we spend the next 4 months going thru F.Acy, then the draft, and the final 4 months thru training camp and preseason.
    then we start again.
    the 4 month period we are in now seems the longest.

Regarding the Center position, we also have Tyler Gauthier and Cameron Tom. I don’t know how realistic it is that they are possible starters, but we do have 4 guys who play the position.

My Chargers friend said, You guys had a ridiculous draft and I responded, everyone is bitching, because we didn’t get an RB early RB,

He responded, That’s dumb wtf

My friends who are fans of other teams have also said that. They also think what we’ve been doing the last couple of years has been impressive. It’s funny how the fans of other teams see it as opposed to our own fans.

Willie McGinest said we had a killer draft getting four 1st round grade players with our first four picks. Charley Casserly said the same thing. I haven’t heard any of the analysts give us a sup par grade. They all say we did very well.

Everyone just gets excited about certain players

The FO clearly doesn’t value the RB position and I think that collides with expectations

But I’ve actually seen a lot of fans say positive things about our draft after licking their wounds and not getting the rub they wanted

That’s what I’ve been saying. We fans get favorites embedded in our heads for months and then when it doesn’t happen we get disappointed. I personally like post-draft over pre-draft because you can now focus on what the team’s vision is and why we drafted who we did. It’s a lot less stressful. LOL

Ok, so the Dolphins FO who did such a fantastic job at the RB position last season all of a sudden is awesome at evaluating this and anyone else who thinks otherwise is an idiot. Gotcha, check. I mean Jordan Howard 2 year contract and trading for Matt Breida all worked beautifully. We had the top rushing attack in the NFL

• pheloniusphish says:

Bitter…don’t be mad, Bro!

Nobody said that, Mike. Some of us just look at it for what it is. We didn’t make RB a priority so maybe they like the backs they have this year. There’s more to being a good rushing team than just drafting a sexy name at RB. The OL was very young and new last year and we’re building on that. We’ll see if not going for a top RB prospect comes back to haunt us.

• ocalarob says:

Flores believes the additional speed at receiver (Will Fuller, Jaylen Waddle) will help the running game.

“I think it [helps] a lot,” Flores said. “I think if you’ve got guys who can run on the perimeter, if you load the box, there’s more opportunity for 1-on-1 matchups and opportunities downfield. Defenses have to make that decision when you have those types of players on the field and again, if you don’t load the box and you play for those big plays, then there’s less people in the box and less people to block and I think it really becomes kind of a numbers math game. If you get those guys blocked, there’s more space to run.

• ocalarob says:

from link above

You’re a little late on this. 😉

CK out Chris Simms saying Miami blew the draft, they had their chance to get Najee Harris and they blew it, starts at the 11:05 mark.

Talk is that Denver wanted to trade up to low 20’s and was crushed that Miami took Jalean Phillips

Lots of competition for jobs, when you look at who we have already at a number of positions who themselves are very young vs who was brought in you have to say good luck earning jobs.
    Look at a quick list of who is not going to back down easily
    McCain
    Rowe
    Smythe
    Davis
    E Roberts
    Seiler
    Van Ginkle
    Needham
    5-6 WRs
    We have 8 legit O line starters
    And oh by the way this little first rounder kinda hanging out
    Iggysomebody – Prince Charles

Tim – you might not be saying that but I think Steve has made that implication a few times already.

Is it possible we had a good draft but fucked up at the RB position? Is that fucking possible? Can it not be both or is it just one or the other? I think we did well in the draft, but O also feel like we should have addressed the RB position with better talent. It’s not so complicated.

• Marinofan13 says:

I hear ya, bud. All I can say to that is IF we’ve built an elite O-Line, anybody should be able to run behind it. Only time will reveal if our O-Line has (or will) become elite.

• Marinofan13 says:

MUCH will hinge on Matt Skura, IMO… unless Deiter is ready to start at Center.

I really like what we’re doing on the OL. Grier/Flores have really been working on the trenches on both sides of the ball, got their QB, adding speed at WR, they’re obviously big on TEs, LB and secondary is paramount in our defense. Can’t always address everything at the highest level.

But maybe we as fans are underestimating how they feel about Gaskin/Ahmed and the addition of Brown. I say we call on the good karma for Gerrid Doaks to be most awesome! 😉

Remember too that Waddle and others will run the jet sweeps etc. Not sure who else that can do that will make the team this year, but we have a few other options – Wilson, Grant, Bowden and Perry.

That’s fair enough. I thought we’d address RB higher too. We had plenty of opportunities to do so but we didn’t. So I had to shift my thinking to that we’re not that worried about it.

Mets at Cards is going to end up in a score of 20-21

M – That’s actually another spot I’m worried about, C. I don’t have a lot of faith In Skura either.

I like how they’re building this roster. I can’t say I agree with every move they’ve made, but I can see their logic in most of the stuff they do. We’ll see if they made good personnel decisions as time goes on but they’ve picked some pretty good players so far. They don’t always keep them, but they pick them.
    ***
    The media would have us believe there are 200 “1st round talents” after the draft, so I take all those evals with a grain of salt. The hype on players nowadays is ridiculous. I think we drafted 4 or 5 guys who should get significant snaps…maybe not this year but in the next few. If the rest can find a way onto the team and contribute, that’d be great.
    ***
    I think Waddle has a chance to be special. Phillips MIGHT be pretty good. I’m not sold he’s a big time player yet. I think the potential is there though. Holland could very well be starting for us eventually, but I think he still gets snaps. He can cover. Eichenberg is probably the second best OT on the roster. Long is gonna be a nice Swiss Army knife guy who might not be a 90 catch TE but could be a nice multi tool. It’s all guesswork at this point by everybody anyway.

Very fair assessment. To me it’s about how the entire team performs together rather than individual stats and accolades. That’s been Flores’ motto since the day he was hired. It comes from Belichick “do your job.”

This team doesn’t want rely on a few players to be the key to winning. They want the roster to win.

I feel the same. Lots of talent evaluators are old school and maybe rightfully so. Casserly doesn’t think any RB is worth a 1st round pick and he did it for a living for a while. Mahomes won with backup level RBs and so did Brady. When you look at where Flores came from, it’s not hard to see that RB may not be valued too much.

RBs just aren’t worth a lot today. I’d love to have an elite one and maybe they wanted Javonte but weren’t willing to trade up. It’s not wrong to want an elite RB especially when elite players win games. It’s probably a waste of one’s time with Flores as HC though.

Agreed. I wouldn’t be surprised if we signed a RB like Rex Burkhead who’s available. He might not even make the team but he plays hard and could push other backs to compete at another level.

127. Marinofan13 says:

May 3, 2021 at 9:24 pm
    ———–
    Once again, I hear ya, man! I DO like what we’ve done, but like you, I’m somewhat miffed that we didn’t address RB and C earlier. We’ll see what happens, and I’m positive we’re moving in the right direction.

We (that includes me!) just need patience, my guy! I’ve faith that Coach Flo is going to coach these guys up as well as (if not better than) Belicheat*. If our O-Line is tight, the rest is gravy on Offense.

What is going on here

• Marinofan13 says:

LOL

Last time we got this much praise from the media, Peter King predicted we’d go to the Super Bowl back in ’06! To borrow a phrase from the Tuna, “DON’T EAT THE CHEESE!” 😉

129. Marinofan13 says:

May 3, 2021 at 9:23 pm
    I really like what we’re doing on the OL. Grier/Flores have really been working on the trenches on both sides of the ball, got their QB, adding speed at WR, they’re obviously big on TEs, LB and secondary is paramount in our defense. Can’t always address everything at the highest level…
    —————
    I’m with ya, but like Mike E, I’m skeptical at the Center position in the ‘here and now’. But as I said to Mike E, I’ve faith that Coach Flo can coach ’em up and bring the best out of our players.

This is my prediction for our 1st team 11 Personnel which I think we’ll use a lot.
    WR Fuller
    WR Parker
    WR Waddle
    TE Gesicki
    QB Tua
    RB Gaskin

Speed, size, quickness and hands. Do opposing defenses play Cover 3 and stack 8 in the box? I wouldn’t. I’d play Cover 2 which allows the running game to succeed as long as you can block it. Playing press man against this group is risky.

I’m starting to see how Grier/Flores like to play chess. 🙂

Watching a Waddle film study, every pass the guy is saying, that wasn’t a good pass, Waddle still taking it to the House.

Jones sucks🤪

We all know Tua’s 2nd season is huge, both mentally and physically. 2021 is a big season for the franchise. We all know this, Tua knows this. He played at Alabama, he knows that if he doesn’t perform at a high level he’ll be replaced. It’s not like he played for some small school that goes with we’re okay. The bar is high and Tua knows he has to live up to being a top #5 pick.

Go Phins!!!!

This guy Waddle sucks, WTF were they thinking

One year ago today we lost Coach Shula.

So here’s a different mentality. While we’re here justifying why RB’s aren’t important, the team that has a RB that already outrushed any of our RB’s last season with 986 yards and 9 TD’s explains why they traded up for Javonte Williams. Oh, and before you look it up, Gordon outrushed both of our guys put together, and now they add Javonte Williams to the mix. The Denver Broncos were also 5-11 last year, but it just goes to show you different philosophies.

They have different priorities, what’s your point?

Not like they’ve done anything lately, with their run heavy O

May 3, 2021 at 8:50 pm
    ______
    I wouldn’t let it bother you. Always consider the source. It’s rather comical if you take a step back.

138. Rhino says:

Tax time in May eats into post-draft posting. LOL but …

Waddle was Alabama’s #1 WR until he got injured. It then shifted to Smith. We could have taken Smith at #6 if we wanted to, but a healthy Waddle before Smith is exactly how it was playing out in Alabama pre-injury.

That said, when Smith goes on to win the Heisman, how easy could have it been for Waddle to be ‘pissy’ about ‘it could have been me’ … but he was the exact opposite. Smith was his teammate (or ‘my brother’ as he said when he found out Smith was taken #10).

Safe to say, we got a gamer who will play to win football games rather than ‘market himself’ for his next contract. Parker, Fuller, et. al. will ‘be on the clock’ now for whether they can match the rookie’s attitude as much as his skill.

The video I posted above says it all, and why the choice was Waddle over Smith.

Field position fron punt returns.

Open up field, because the D is so afraid he’ll beat them over the top he gets the attention, leaving others in single coverage.

Tua – oh Parker has single coverage, boom, just throw it up…ditto for the rest Williams, Fuller, Gesicki, Long

• Rhino says:

yup!! we are a culture of “the moment” … Waddle’s injury pushed him out of our collective short-term memories LOL. He ranks 2nd all time on Bama’s YAC list … Ozzie Newsome is first as a TE during RB era (!!!) … but what that means is Waddle is AHEAD of every other great Alabama WR that the NFL has been inundated with for the last decade. He doesn’t have Julio Jones’ size, but he could have his production. If that happens, whoa, baby, the Fins have arrived.

139. Rhino says:

UDFA:
    Patterson, Pooka and Scott III signed … an area that I would love to see more “who offered who and why did they sign with that team” kind of reporting. I wonder if we even made offers to UDFA RBs, but they saw chances of playing time better elsewhere (which based on 2020 Miami run stats I find hard to believe).

Counting Doaks we have 5 RBs, don’t see a spot for a UDFA.

Teams that are top heavy or have a feature back might have a roster spot more easily attainable

Finally, Dolphins co-offensive coordinators Eric Studesville and George Godsey are already deep in the process of building a new offense. Flores is excited about what he has seen from a scheme that is expected to be more flexible and take advantage of Tagovailoa’s skills.

Cameron Wolfe

141. Rhino says:

Finally, on wishing there was more info….

I think the Lions got a BIG steal with UDFA Tommy Kraemer (ND guard). This just may be the Notre Dame homer in me, but:

1. 5 star recruit, 40th ranked HS recruit

2. Started at RT his red shirt freshman year, meaning he won a premium spot on an OL that won the Joe Moore Award as CFBs best OL and included two guys that were drafted in the top 9 of the 2018 draft (Nelson at #6 and McGlinchey at #9).

3. misperceptions about his last 2 yrs … while he had MCL his junior year, his senior year he was back in top form making 1st team all ACC and 3rd team All American despite having an appendectomy during the season (non-football).

Staying at G is clearly where he will play. Maybe his pass blocking is the reason he didn’t get drafted (in this passing league).. I think he’ll do well with Detroit.

Meanwhile, our UDFA IOL is another Senior Bowl player, so we gotta trust what our staff saw with him up close! Sounds like a “safe” UDFA signing.

I think our ship may have sailed on UDFAs, gone are the days when our roster was so paper thin UDFAs regularly made the roster.

UDFAs now are more camp fodder, a couple of Longshots with talent, but maybe some red flags, and projects

What was different in Buffalo in 2020, that got them to SB contender?

Diggs

I’d bet Flores was paying attention😉

We now have 2 Diggs in Fuller and Waddle

144. Rhino says:

Looking at how our OL is trending … both B gaps should consistently have openings … and Gaskin’s quick first step and vision, and ability to ‘run through reaching arms’, will excel.
    Will he break it all the way once he gets to the second level ? most likely not.

However, an OL the paves defenders even when they know its coming, should set us up for a lot of 2nd and 5 situations. Great situation for creativity on 2nd and then Waddle/Long play-making variables on 3rd down (just to focus on the rookies, not the vet play makers).

Gaskin is not a pro bowler, but right now he is a perfect fit and more than adequate place-holder in our offense (the way it is being built).

Next phase (Phase IV? lol) could be the RB like Gaskin but with the agility and break away speed for the 2nd level. Gaskin could still get 1,000 yards this year.

145. Rhino says:

Steveccnv, have you noticed that between 8 and 9 am CST we seem to always be the only two posting? LOL Maybe everyone is waiting for me to go to work so they don’t have to read multiple overly long, caffeine induced, posts. 🙂

I expect the WRs that have been the most productive to be in our top 4, Parker, Fuller, and Williams add in draft pedigree Waddle and those 4 should get the majority of the snaps, the rest really don’t matter.

Hollins or Foster for STs, then 1 more for injury depth.

Foster and Hollins have made decent contributions as WRs, why not keep those 2, they’re cheap.

Does Bowden have enough upside? He’ll likely be buried on the slot depth chart behind Waddle and Gesicki

After looking at the boxscore from games last year we throw the ball all over the lot to different receivers, and it didn’t change much when Tua started.

Games where we had less completions tended to have less guys catching passes, and games with upwards of 24 completions tended to have all active weapons getting at least 1 or an attempt.

KC only had 8 against us, Jets and Broncos 6.

We talk about our receivers before the season getting X number of catches, but we usually predict an inflated number, spreading the ball out is why.

18 guys caught a pass, only 4 had more than 30.

Is this a result of our WRs not getting open or wanting to spread the ball or a combination of both?

Could we actually have a year where Parker, Williams, Fuller, Waddle and Gesicki all have over 50 catches?

I think ideally that’s exactly what ya want, and all those receivers, minus parker create separation. Parker doesn’t separate well but he makes up for it in a very good ability to highpoint the football and make contested catches. Now that’s not to say he cant get away from people, he just doesn’t seem to be great at it. The rest of those you names can, and do.

Stats from college can be very misleading, but some are eye opening like Eichenberg’s 2 sacks overall and none since his last 33 starts, Holland 9 ints, Waddle’s ypr, Phillips’ pressure of 1 every 6.8 dropbacks and 15.5 TFL

But even in college production needs to meet potential

You just have to read between the lines on those stats and you will find the reason that they drafted them.

Yes, for Holland it’s his versatility and play in the slot, that made him more valuable, than the other 2 top Ss.

Waddle, the way he commands attention opening up everyone else.

Phillips, versatility, quick twitch and motor.

Eichenberg is pretty straight forward, gives up no sacks and pushes the pile

Fast and good as he is, will Waddle be much of a force in the red zone? Can’t scare people with your speed deep when only 15 yards to run.

Waddle is one of the rare “fast” receivers that also runs prettu good routes and gets in and out of breaks well, with good burst acceleration, so i think he will be fine.

Good to hear and we will see. They’ll figure it out in camp but could also see a guy like Williams being in the Red zone package.

Waddle in the redzone will be the underneath guy. 1st down from the 15 dump it off and let him run, easy pass, high comp% beats a 2 yard run

Yeah they will try to defend the skinny post, quick curl, or back of the end zone slant route, and he will come straight down the LOS and catch on the run. I can see that play in my head right now. Would be almost impossible to defend without bringhing a safety in which of course would hurt when Gesicki Parker or Williams could hit the back of the endzone on a post and have no one there to challenge him

Used redzone too loosely there. Was really talking goal to go. And a lot of teams don’t even use a slot in such situations. We did just draft a TE.

Line him up in the backfield and let him go out for a pass

Or take him out and put Doaks in

I could see a 2TE set with Waddle lining up in the backfield. They’d have to defend that but could turn into a 5 pass option play for Tua right quick after Gesicki and Waddle motion. Or they could run the draw or outside.

Or just let Tua walk it in. If the coordinators do their job, it will be easy to score inside the 10(20 really).

There’s a few FA RBs out there, Rex Burkhead,Duke Johnson, leveon Bell, Gore, but no one really looks any better than what we have, I’d ride with Doaks

Down to 8.1m on cap, see Preston added to top 51, looks like a 3k bonus and Elandon looks new, might be some more bonus money being on the roster in May.

McKinney still hasn’t been restructured like they said was coming

Chris Kouffman
    @ckparrot
    22m
    Liam Eichenberg’s got a resume. Watched him shut down Azeez Ojulari & Malik Herring, Josh Uche & Kwity Paye, Chris Rumph & Victor Dimukeje, Janarius Robinson & Joshua Kaindoh, Rashad Weaver & Patrick Jones, Will Anderson & Christopher Allen.
    No sacks allowed. Very dependable.

Better resume than Jackson has

• Rhino says:

I wish we had a “like” button. lol

He’s a technician from what i can see, his athleticism isn’t off the charts, his feet are good, but his technique is really strong, and to me that’s number 2 on my list of attributes. Great feet cant be coached up, repetition doesn’t improve it much so its always gonna be my number 1, and his are good enough for OT. I kind of like him for OG though, and that’s not a slam on him but i think his strength matches with that spot to make us a really damn good one.

Just read an article claiming that the US may never reach “herd immunity” with Covid. And couldn’t argue against the reasoning.

The people who already got their shots made the chances of getting the thing less. Gives less reason for the ones who didn’t rush out to get their shots at first to get their shots now.

Guess they should thank those of us who did…. but don’t wait on that one.

Because of the dumb asses refusing to get vaccinated

There’s the problem right there, if they don’t what you think is right they’re a dumbass.

Sounds an awful lot like what the politicians did with the lockdowns.

People are tired of these fascists telling them what to do.

I agree everyone should get vaccinated, but who am I to tell people what to do?

I didn’t want to get it, but they aren’t going to let you fly internationally and go to sporting events, so I said fuck it I’ll just get the shot. 2nd shot next week.

Things will settle down in time and more people will get the vaccine

A lot of conspiracy shit out there on the vaccines, that’s also not helping.

A lot of people on the right don’t want to get vaccinated, because they want to turn the tables on the left’s TDS

Thanks steve. Guess that in part answers my comment below…. even if still doesn’t make sense to me.

What I can’t figure out is how getting vaccinated or not became a political issue. Why in the world should politics come into it? Should be a medical thing and same medical info is out there for everyone.

Left made it political from day 1, Trump said, stop air traffic from China and they, Biden, called him xenophobic, then their governors shot their states down

I really couldn’t care less about what the left did as far as a health situation. Goes for the right too. More into what decide is best for my health. But maybe just me.

And turning to politics…… Trump made the vaccines happen, he had Covid, he and his wife both got vaccinated. What is the issue?

Don’t know how you could care less, when it affects your health.

The shit is starting to come full circle and bite them in the ass, not just covid related, cancel culture and other things

It’s basically just a big FU to the left for all the shit they did the last 4 years, oppose…impeachment

Steve — I view health as medicine and science. Again, maybe just me. But the rest is about politics and not Covid vaccinations.

It’s all “a big FU to the left” but Trump got the vaccines developed. Is it an anti-Trump move?

Yeah, I agree with that, it should be, but when Trump got elected the left changed everything, now everything from sports to covid is political.

How much Science goes into anything Fucci says?

Sure it’s an anti Trump move in reality, but the left is now claiming the vaccine as their own, so…

We’re going to have 100m doses in our 1st 100 days…WTF did Biden have to do with the vaccine?

we have a tough road schedule,
    Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Las Vegas Raiders & the afc east

home looks to be easier
    Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Baltimore Ravens & afc east

not sure who the 17th game will be against?

Dallas plays pittsburgh in 13 weeks, two days, 4 hrs, 22:34 from now!

preseason is 3 games with a bye week

• ocalarob says:

4th week in pre season is bye week, makes sense as that’s usually garbage time anyway.

The bye week in preseason is some BS.

Back in the day they played 6 preseason games, then started the season first weekend in Sept, giving us 4 Sept games.

Then at some point they started the season about the 2nd weekend in Sept giving us only 3 Sept games.

Now they want to reduce preseason to 3 and instead of playing the extra game in Sept, it will be in cold January

ocalarob says:
    May 4, 2021 at 3:21 pm
    not sure who the 17th game will be against?

I think I remember reading that it will be the NY Giants.

May 4, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Guess they should thank those of us who did…. but don’t wait on that one.
    ———————————————————
    So my take on this is its about the symptoms. The “immunity” is a hoax, people get the same exact strain more than once, so any vaccination would not prevent someone from getting it again, it would lessen the symptoms, and mortality rate, and provide a chance to avoid it. Overall it would let us get ahead of the curve, but this is here to stay imo. Variants, etc are already happening and spreading. The hope would be to get enough ahead of it to eventually mitigate, and control it to a point its more like common flu.

This isnt an argument against getting the vaccine, it for getting it, but i think the overly optimistic or naïve viewpoint that it will ever be gone is well…it was never in the true conversation about dealing with this even though it was sold that way. We have entered a world of change, and we need to embrace that it will likely never go back to the way it was before. There are too damn many people on the planet and outbreaks like this will be a byproduct of over population and inability to regulate all aspects of life (ie wet markets in rural China), which i wouldn’t want anyways,.

Don’t think even if the US hits herd immunity that will mean the end of Covid. Don’t think people looking for that are claiming it will either. No way does the whole world reach that point. Sure would be nice if America did though.

Cards facing the best pitcher in baseball today

JLo cured covid

What a booty!

May 4, 2021 at 5:05 pm
    ———————————————————
    My problem is with the word immunity, mostly because it gives a flase sense of safety i don’t think is actually there. So like the Draft, there were people all huddled together there, and it was OK because they had all been vaccinated. I don’t think that’s the right way to think about it, or we are vaccinated, back to life as we know it. Yes, they all had their masks on, well most of them, but that’s the first step to losing any control over this. We will see if cases start spiking again, but i just think the word immunity is overplayed.

Sorta a term of art at this point. If on average people who get the thing pass it to less than one person Covid will eventually stop being transmitted mainly. What word or phrase would you prefer?

Completely agree people should be real safe at the same time. This all started with me saying hitting “herd immunity” is probably not going to happen in the US.

LOL, Cards are not facing the best pitcher in baseball today…

We have an easier schedule next year

• bailbondmike says:

THis year or next year?

Based on current rosters? Not last year’s wins?
      How the heck does that work?

• ocalarob says:

it doesn;t appear easy, @Tennessee Titans, @New Orleans Saints, @Tampa Bay Buccaneers, @Las Vegas Raiders, Baltimore.

those are all really hard games not to mention the 6 games we have in the division.
      NE has gotten better so has NY, and Buffalo is the team to beat.

we are in one of the toughest divisions in football, how does that equate to an easy schedule?

171. naplesfan2010 says:

Need based drafting is dangerous as it usually results in reaches and frequent busts.
    But let’s look at our draft that way.
    Top Need … speed at WR that can also get separation.
    Waddle checks that box, but is he safe ?
    Proof?
    He already has chemistry with Tua, several TDs with Tua, comes from the top program in college, GPS says he is BOTH their fastest and quickest, and his coach says his best trait is competitive toughness.

This is no Oakland Raiders type wussy track star or Ted Ginn step out of bounds guy.

And again, he runs actual, sharp routes.

Yeah for sure Waddle is nothing like Ted Ginn. If you watch some of his highlight videos he runs a lot of different routes including going over the middle and taking some big hits. His ability to get separation is very impressive.

Is Mike still mad? Is it safe?

I may have missed the 💥

Was he mad earlier?

He’s bummed that we didn’t draft one of the top RBs.

Oh….lol

If I’m over it, I’m sure he will be too

No question, Denver sniped us on Williams

And a few of us here were saying if you pass on RB (Harris) at 18, you might miss in RBs

And guess what happened

I guess the bottom line is we got good players

And everyone can take comfort in knowing that if we would have drafted Harris or Williams I would have bought their jerseys…

He’ll be fine Coach Flo has him sitting in the corner with a dunce cap on

Gaskin had 972 yds from scrimmage last year in 10 games.

Ahmed 63 ypg

Brown 36 ypg

Doaks 875 from scrimage, Cin played 10 games he probably played all 10

Why was RB a big need?

174. Marinofan13 says:

—————
    In the event that we sign Malik, that would clearly mean he’s healthy. So again, in the event that we sign him, HOLY DBs, Batman! And most obviously, we’ll not be signing him to a huge deal (same if we decide to sign Todd Gurley).

It would be a one-year ‘PROVE IT’ deal, with incentives.

175. Marinofan13 says:

“The Bad Batch” was GOOOOOD! Premiered today on Disney+.

We all know a good running game starts up front and blocking. A great running game is when you have the great back. Not many teams have a great back. The position isn’t developed enough in college.

177. Marinofan13 says:

Steve,

I DO understand where you’re coming from… and post-Draft, I’m thinking we improved the O-Line to make ANY RB potentially go for over 1K rushing yards (whether it be solo, or by committee).

But you’ve got to understand that the overwhelming majority of ‘Phins Nation’ was welcoming a shiny, new, stud RB.

We’ll see what happens! Time shall reveal…

Steve – You’re like some wiseass fucknut sometimes. Like you’re the only one who really knows what’s going on. I think there’s a reason for that. You’re fucking delusional. We need a RB because we don’t really have much talent in our RB corps. The 2 little guys Gaskin and Ahmed go down on contact. Malcolm Brown couldn’t beat out anyone in LA. You rattle off Doaks stats from Cincinnati as if those mean anything? Like I’ve said 20 fucking times already, let’s see him make all the roster cuts. Yeah, a great offensive line makes everyone look better but a great running back makes a decent O-line look better too, and great offensive line and a great running back takes team deep into the playoffs. I’m not going to address you on this any further because you’re just acting like a smug asshat.

I said all along we should’ve drafted one early, but when we didn’t…

So I asked the question,Why was RB a big need?

Flores didn’t seem to think so.

Get over yourself already, we didn’t take one and that’s not changing, but you go on and on and on…

Put your big boy pants on and face the reality

Who was it on here that stressed to everyone, “trust the process” one should heed ones own advice.

I trust that they made our team a lot better this past weekend, with the exception of the RB position. I remain agnostic on this issue.

Hey we’re all Phins fans. We didn’t draft one of the top RBs and we could have but passed. Other than that just about everyone said we had a great draft. Next stop, playoffs! That’s all that matters.

This is a big season for us in Phase III. 😉

Every year leading up to the draft we tend to focus on only players at perceived positions of need yet we’ll all claim to be in favor of BPA so here again none of us had Holland on our radar. When you look at what Holland brings to the team and what he is capable of we all missed on him, I certainly did, we’re lucky to have him he’s the type of difference maker that could put our defense over the top. I think he starts day one 🤷‍♂️

We can’t run our blitz schemes without superior coverage. Flores is all about top notch coverage.

I didn’t know who he was, but I said S was a position of need and I’ve said many times Needham was our biggest weakness

Biggest weakness on D

I knew who he was, Maurice Jones-Drew coached him in some capacity and was a big fan. Not that he’s the voice of Holland outside of a bias, but I knew his name weeks leading up to the draft. I didn’t see DB being early so I didn’t focus on it. Flores likes his DBs. LOL

a great running game is not all about having a great RB, it’s about scheme, you stretch the field and have good run blockers, that’s how you have a great run game.

it’s not a one man show. without the above Najee would suck on any team.

i feel he will do great on Pitts because of Roethlisberger. Ben really keeps Ds on their heels.

that’s why his recs make the $$ also why Leveon Bell made his $$$.

we don’t have a Ben, we have a Tua

steveccnv says:
    May 4, 2021 at 10:34 pm
    _______________________________________

we had to use Needham because our 1st rnd draft pick Iggy couldn’t beat him out.

I just said Needham, because he was the starter, but he’s an overacheiver

Yep! We’re trying to upgrade over Needham, Rowe and McCain with Iggy, Br. Jones and Holland. The fact that we’re meeting with Malik Hooker is another sign. The secondary is going to be very competitive this year.

If you’re a DC, how do you defend this 11 personnel formation that I think will be used a lot?

WR Fuller
    WR Parker
    WR Waddle
    TE Gesicki
    QB Tua
    RB Gaskin

How about this 12 personnel?

WR Fuller
      WR Waddle
      TE Gesicki
      TE Smythe/Shaheen/Long
      QB Tua
      RB Brown

This is the package I expect to see a lot of. We were successful with it last year, with Long they may want to take it to the next level.

Will it be max protect or run heavy

Gesicki is always an option to go in motion for mismatches. We didn’t draft Pitts. Gesicki is our top receiving threat at TE and he creates mismatches. Who’s covering him and who’s covering Fuller and Waddle? Speed kills. Most teams can’t cover these guys.

Here’s some interesting MLB statistical oddities.

The Miami Marlins are at the bottom of the NL East with a 12-16 record, and they are the only team in the NLE with a positive run differential at +10. The other four teams all have a double digit deficit.

The Oakland As currently have the best record in the league, 7 games over .500 at 19-12, and a -2 run differential.

The Detroit Tigers have the worst run differential in the league at a whopping -66, more than twice as bad as the 2nd worst at -28.

None of this really says anything, but…fun with numbers, lol.

Looking at those numbers this morning clearly show the Dolphins should have drafted a RB earlier. It’s right there . . .

I wonder if we would’ve taken Williams 36th overall had Denver not jumped us?

• ocalarob says:

from an article,

After the second night of the draft, GM Chris Grier denied any disappointment that Williams was gone before the Dolphins picked.

“No. As we work through it, we’re very cognizant of what’s going on and around and for us,” Grier said. “We have good players at the running back position.

• David Collins says:

dolphins killled the draft , no regrets\\

we will get 4 starters , and some depth,

thats great for one draft

187. David Collins says:

lol at Doge coin hitting 69 cents, leveraged futures are clicking up extremely fast
    Doge was so hot yesterday it brought the entire stock market, and coin market to its knees,

nobody wanted stocks yesterday, but everyone wanted a piece of the dogster, its up 8000 percent in the first quarter

188. David Collins says:

Doge leveraged futures

100X leverage X 8000 percent = 800,000 % profit for the last 3 months

Aaron Rodgers will probably be traded to Denver after June 1.

• David Collins says:

maybe we can trade Biden to denver for a couple of old pokemon cards, and a DVD of powder puff girls

190. David Collins says: