Dolphins very busy in Free Agency and Trades

So much has happened in the last week, my head is spinning. The day I wrote the last article the Dolphins traded for DB Jalen Ramsey. The moves kept coming in a flurry of activity. We all knew we had a lot of players to re-sign, and the Dolphins seemed to feel like they wanted to continue forward with many of the same players. Let me start with the RB depth, which we brought back intact, the entire RB roster. Raheem Mostert, Jeff Wilson, Salvon Ahmed and then recently, Myles Gaskin. I saw an interesting tweet the other day, basically stating that the SF 49ers discarded two of their main backs, Wilson and Mostert and decided to draft Elijah Mitchell and later acquire CMC in a big trade. So the essence of the tweet was basically the Dolphins backfield is led by two castoffs from the 49ers. Well, as we’ve all learned, one mans trash is another mans treasure. Mostert and Wilson both succeeded and played well here, and Ahmed and Gaskin are decent depth players. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to draft a RB, but now it will most likely be a later RD pick, because it seems like they made it a priority to bring the entire RB room back. Some young blood is a necessity, but this can also be accomplished as UDFA’s, like half of our depth was acquired, Salvon Ahmed. We drafted Gaskin in RD 7 in ’19.

So, let’s tally up who we brought in . . .

DB Jalen Ramsey (LA Rams)

RB Jeff Wilson (MIA)

RB Raheem Mostert (MIA)

RB Salvon Ahmed (MIA)

RB Myles Gaskin (MIA)

LB David Long (TEN)

LB Duke Riley (MIA)

DB Nik Needham (MIA)

TE Eric Saubert (DEN)

QB Mike White (NYJ)

WR Braxton Berrios (NYJ)

OG Dan Feeney (NYJ)

OT Geron Christian (MIA)

S Deshon Elliot (DET)

Some notable losses are LB Elandon Roberts (PIT), one of my favorites, and one of my former favorites, TE Mike Gesicki (NE). I’m very interested to see how both of these players fare on their new teams. I think Roberts fits the Steelers defense perfectly, he’s an inside thumper, coming off his best season. Gesicki is an enigma, we know he has receiving talent, but somehow we never managed to get as much as I thought we could get from him. Gesicki’s most productive season was in ’21, where he caught 73 passes for 780 yards and just 2 TD’s. I expected him to be a high volume pass catcher with a high YPR, but that never panned out. He’s definitely a red zone threat, and the Patriots would be wise to employ him often there.

With most of free agency moves in the books, the team still has a pocket full of draft picks left for 2023. Our fist pick is #51 in RD2, followed by a 3rd RD pick acquired from NE for DeVante Parker (#84). We have #197 in RD 6 from the Bears, and then finally #238 in RD 7. Remember there is also free agency after the draft, and I suppose there may be a few veteran castoffs that might fit here. We’re definitely pushing to go deep this year, and as we all know, the health of #1, QB Tua Tagovailoa is paramount to that success. Yes, we signed Mike White, who is a nice story being from FLA and a fan of our Dolphins, but Tua is the linchpin to the season. We have to keep him upright and healthy, but most of all he has to play smart and keep himself out of harms way. If throwing the ball away saves getting hit, so be it. He can play aggressively, but he can’t allow himself to be in a position where he will absorb punishment.

Vic Fangio has put his stamp on this free agency. First, the trade to bring Jalen Ramsey here. Ramsey is truly a multi faceted DB who can range anywhere from a cover corner on the perimeter, to an in the box LB on obvious passing downs. He’s an excellent piece that Fangio will love to employ. LB David Long, who wasn’t a full time starter last season in Tennessee, is also a versatile player. He’s an excellent tackler, but can also cover very well. I think the latter is the biggest reason why we chose him over Elandon Roberts, we need a LB that can not only make most the tackles expected, but cover as well, and that unfortunately, was not Roberts strong suit. I’m thrilled that we brought back Nik Needham, he’s been a favorite of my mine because he’s such a gamer, and always stepped up when needed. Hopefully he’s fully recovered and ready to go by the time the season begins. Fangio now has a very strong defense, with two very good cover corners (I believe the acquisition of Ramsey will invigorate Howard this season), a strong defensive line with Ogbah, Wilkins and Sieler, excellent pass rush ability and run defense from two very strong OLB’s (Phillips and Chubb), and then the addition of David Long to help out the extremely underrated and underappreciated #55, Jerome Baker. He played every game the last 2 seasons, and always gets the job done, and do multiple things, run and tackle from sideline to sideline, cover, and always end up with 100 or more tackles. Seems like every year we want to upgrade, and I get it, but I like Baker, and think we should all like him more than we do.

Sorry to be redundant, but with #1 on the field healthy, we will methodically use two of the best wideouts in the NFL, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle. We brought the entire RB squad back, in 8 games Jeff Wilson averaged 4.7 YPC for 392 yards. Mostert averaged 4.9 YPC in 16 games for the Dolphins for 891 yards. One element of concern is that this is clearly a RB by committee approach, and none of our backs can truly shoulder a big load, and haven’t done so in their NFL careers. We have two obvious needs on offense right now, TE, and a young RB. You can argue against the latter, but I think we need to have a guy that carry the ball 20-30 times in a game and not be on the injured list the next week. I don’t care if it’s an UDFA as I mentioned earlier, but I wouldn’t mind if we spent a pick on one either. Eric Saubert is a blocking TE, and for the most part, so is Durham Smythe. To be fair, we don’t have a real receiving TE on the roster, so we may look to draft one early on, there are a few that should be available to us at either #54, or #84.

The Jets and Green Bay Packers are still working on a deal that would bring QB Aaron Rodgers to NY. Apparently, Green Bay’s compensation for Rodgers services is the holdup. I would say it’s safe to assume that both sides will eventually get it done, but Rodgers is a loose screw that can nullify the trade at any time, but if he wants to play this season, I just can’t see him playing again in GB. If the Jets do indeed get Rodgers, then the AFC landscape changes significantly. It will be a very tough 3 way race between the defending AFC East champion Buffalo Bills, NY Jets, and our Miami Dolphins. You can make an argument for any of the 3 as to why they can win, or why they will fail. Injuries are the devil, and we know all too well that if our QB played all 17 regular season games, we had a legitimate chance to be either the #2 or #3 seed. I think our roster is better now. The Bills sustained a substantial loss in LB Tremaine Edmunds, but managed to retain S Jordan Poyer, as well as pick up OG Connor McGovern from the Cowboys. The Jets signed WR Allen Lazard, purportedly because potential QB Aaron Rodgers requested them to do so. The Jets lost a pair of DT’s though, Sheldon Rankins (HOU) and Nathan Shepherd (NO). The Jets also re-signed K Greg (The Leg) Zuerlein, one of the best in the league. If Rodgers comes to the AFC East, it will be an absolute dogfight and potentially all 3 teams could secure playoff berths. Hopefully, 2023 is the one where the Miami Dolphins are on top!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

941 Responses to Dolphins very busy in Free Agency and Trades

Do the Jets have a QB yet? LOL

from Saubert:

“When I was coming out of college, I was touted as a receiver,” he said. “I’m now being touted as only a blocker. I didn’t lose that ability to receive. I take pride in my ability to be a receiver or blocker.”

March 29th, 2023: Arkansas Pro Day

MLB/ILB Drew Sanders passed on the Combine due to a hamstring injury. I see he’s run a 4.46 in the past… if he comes close to that on his Pro Day, he’s likely going in the 1st round. If he falls to the 2nd round, I’d very strongly recommend trading up for him.

David Long:

According to Pro Football Reference, opposing quarterbacks have targeted Long 135 times, and that’s resulted in just one touchdown. Over the last two seasons, he’s been targeted 94 times, and his man hasn’t scored even one time during that span.

Last year, he allowed a passer rating of 74, and the year prior it was 61. Those are incredible numbers for a linebacker.

Never mind on Drew Sanders. I just discovered his missed tackle % is a staggering 19.6%… absolutely unacceptable at the college level, and it would be even worse at the NFL level.

He’s a project with hella upside, but I’m not trading up for him now.

Same thing goes for CB Emmanuel Forbes… he weighed in at a paltry 166 pounds at the Combine, so I can’t draft him early.

As DEEP as this TE class is, I don’t really like any of them other than Michael Mayer. The college game has become so ‘spread Offense’ that most of these TE prospects are undersized, favoring speed over blocking prowess.

As we all know by now, the Shanahan/McDaniel Offense prefers a blocking TE… not an ‘H-Back’ or strict seam-threat TE.

7. naplesfan2010 says:

Most of the draft sites I see have Charbonnet still available to us at 84. I might be tempted to get that guy. I love Mostert, but he’s always seemed fragile.
    And all RBs take a beating,
    and with a 19-20 game schedule, like we’ll have ….

8. naplesfan2010 says:

Draftek has Dawand Jones available to us at 51.
    6’8 374 RT out of Ohio State,
    so good competition in his history

I was just reading Kittle’s draft profile. It’s interesting his NFL comparison was Charles Clay

I didn’t realize Long was leaving the Titans acrimoniously. I guess Vrabel said Long was a repeat offender in not taking care of his body, which may be why they let him walk in FA. Long addressed those comments in his introductory presser.

well, I hope he keeps that chip on his shoulder all season and DOES SOMETHING to address his soft tissue issues.

Another good weapon for the Jest. They have the potential to be a really good team, assuming they land Rodgers and he is all in on football.

Still need OL 😡

13. naplesfan2010 says:

Several sites have Darnell Washington falling to the high 40s; if he slips to us, I’d be forced to grab that guy.
    He’s 6’7 264, which is the blocking size that we need at that position.
    He ran a 4.64, which is good enough for a guy that big, especially with 11 inch hands and 34.5 inch arms.

14. naplesfan2010 says:

My fave OT is Matt Bergeron. 6’5 318 Syracuse
    He could challenge to start at RT right away and possibly become the LT when Armstead is done.

15. What is flying under the radar is the fact that we’re looking to build a top defense. Bringing Fangio on board as DC, then trading for Ramsey and adding depth to an already solid core of players has been very impressive.

16. Krishna says:

I can’t imagine how or why a MLB/ILB missing 19.6% of tackles in college, and being a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round prospect….lmao. That’s your fucking job! Oh my….

17. Krishna says:

OL or TE or both (preferably) are needed….and both help the run game and protect the QB.

18. Krishna says:

The Dolphins have made a statement to their AFC division and conference rivals with the D moves made from top to bottom…I love it.

19. Krishna says:

Like where you’re going naples…

• naplesfan2010 says:

thnx
      just beginning to peruse the prospects this year …
      I don’t presume to have any special insight, but I have my prototypes.
      I want to draft guys with small downside and as low a bust potential as possible.
      We don’t need lots of bodies.
      We need a couple of very specific position players. And a bit of depth.
      Again, I’m not telling anybody anything they did not already know.
      This blog is very astute, and everybody on here knows the roster.

Steve

I response to your age turned reply. I do like our RBs a lot. I don’t consider Rb a need by any stretch.

I’m talking about the kind of difference a Derrick Henry might make. We would have a 25+ carry guy on the roster and that kind of guy protects the QB. A really consistent running game is the best way to protect our QB

Lot of ways you can do it. One way is upgrading OL. A second is Skill players like TEs who block. A 3rd is a special RB. There’s only a couple of really special RBs in the nfl and a lot of them are being treated as disposable this off-season. Let’s see what happens in June on that issue

I received another vinyl record by delivery today
    A big change from zeppelin – I received Pavarotti at the Lincoln Center
    Sounds cool on vinyl

I’m taking recommendations for my next vinyl record. I have a few deliveries expected

• manitobafinfan says:

Makes ya miss Columbia House 😊

Pink Floyd the Wall , or considering to whom I am replying.. Animals

• naplesfan2010 says:

a bit of Beatles — vintage — such as Rubber Soul with “Drive my Car” or something for fun like Sgt Peppers
      and maybe the White Album (for me, this is a necessity)

Cream (with White Room) and Blind Faith
      Santana … 1st 2
      CSN and CSNY
      your fave Moody Blues
      ditto Stones x2
      ditto Pink Floyd x2
      Traffic Low Spark
      the kick-assin’est Heart
      a “Best of” Hendrix compilation
      ditto the Who

just trying to stick to that rich lush vinyl room-filling sound

what speakers? Marantz? Klipsch?
      or something new school like Power Audioengine or
      a pair of those 140W Kantos?
      Or you can get the Edifiers for $150!

I plan to get the White Album since it’s my favorite Beatles album

I’ll probably get most of those suggestions at some point

Except the Stones. I have always hated The Rolling Stones

Kansas Monolith

22. Krishna says:

Brian Miller with an assist for a TE…I have no idea, but age and experience seem right…

23. Naples, I think all we need is more competition on the OL and at TE. This roster on paper is ready to play. 🙂

Twice on Sunday

25. naplesfan2010 says:

We only have 3 TEs on the roster, and one of these is a WR named Tanner Connor.
    With our offense, we should carry 4 TEs.

We need a big, badass, blocking TE.

Darnell Washington is the only one in this draft I want.

👍

If he’s there at 51, pull the trigger

We have blocking TEs we have no receiving TEs

• naplesfan2010 says:

We just let our receiving TE Gesicki go.
        I’m not speaking of what I want,
        as I’d’ve kept Gesicki.
        I am trying to figure out what the FO wants,
        and it was not Gesicki,
        so I’m thinking they want a 6th OL type TE.

26. naplesfan2010 says:

We need a zone blocking OT. One with quick feet to form a fluid pocket
    and enough agility and aggression to seek and destroy LBs.

Matthew Bergeron is the highest ranking one of those I think will be there at our pick number 51.

But we can’t get both of those guys at #51.

27. naplesfan2010 says:

We also need another back-up Edge rusher.
    This should be a big-body guy for goal line and short yardage situations
    and to play true DE in some packages.
    Good ones of those can be found in the 3rd round.
    such as
    Zach Harrison 6’6 272 Ohio State
    Jalen Redmond 6’3 298 Oklahoma
    and Brenton Cox 6’3 252 Florida.

• naplesfan2010 says:

When the field is compressed, speed on the edge has diminished value.
      (Chubb and Phillips have their best traits reduced in value.)
      And Van Ginkle and Malik are even lighter.
      We need a guy who can set the EDGE and hold his ground at the point of attack when all the offense needs is a couple yards for a TD or 1st down.

• I think we’re good on the edge. Phillips and Chubb are as big as you can ask for on the edge. They’re both athletic and fast at around 265-270 with plenty of height and length. Ogbah also adds to that at 6-4 275. Am I missing something?

Great list of albums Naples

Steeley Dan – Can’t buy a thrill
    Genesis – Abacab
    Doobie Brothers – Minute by Minute (great album and has the picture of a big roach, joint, in the inside fold.

Columbia House lol that was the greatest day of mail ever

You better send that card back or you gettin Mac Davis or Englebert Humperdink. True

30. naplesfan2010 says:

TKnight
    We have a second round pick and a 3rd round pick.
    We can’t just say “pass” when our turn comes.
    That would be irresponsible.

We have had serious issues at OT recently,
    whether because of injuries or poor play.
    Drafting the RT with the most potential would be sound management.
    and
    What if Armstead gets hurt again?

We don’t need receiving TEs Ken

They do us no good in this offense – that’s why we let Gesicki go

We don’t need anyone to split the seam when so many of our passing plays are timing throws in the middle of the field to WRs

We just need a TE to leak out in the flats occasional or catch some delayed stuff

If we have an elite blocking TE, our offense will be impossible to stop

Defenses that are being physical with our receivers on the LOS can’t do that when we run outside on the edges behind a good blocking TE

Those two things compliment each other and make us hard to defend

If your receivers speed is making taking the DBs deep from the moment they leave the LOS, then there might be wide open running lanes on the outside if you can seal the gap with your TE

An elite blocking TE will also help any deficiencies with a RT

• That’s a bingo!!! McDaniel is all about creating space and getting the ball into the hands of guys that are lethal picking up chunk yards. A big time TE is not the key, though I’d like to see some more competition and depth.

A 6 man protection with 4 in the route – 3 WR and a RB is what we’re doing.

32. naplesfan2010 says:

I agree that we have one of the most complete rosters in the league.
    Great,
    but we only went 9-8 and lost in the first round.
    I want a lot more success than that.

Our current post FA roster gives us the luxury of drafting the exact guy to fill the last hole or to upgrade our weakest position.

The last hole is at TE.
    The weakest position is RT.
    Get one at 51 and the other at 84.
    But if there are only crummy choices left,
    rather than just drafting a guy who is no better than what we have,
    let’s see what else we need.

Injuries were our biggest problem last year you got figure next year can’t be as bad 🤞
      If we stay relatively healthy we win 12-14 games and go to the AFC Championship game and let the chips fall where they may

33. naplesfan2010 says:

What we don’t need to draft is a QB.
    Done
    We also need to carry 4 safeties.
    Holland, Brandon Jones, Elliott, McKinley
    Done
    We need 6 CBs
    X, Jalen, Nik, Kader, and then the best 2 out of Trill or Elijah or Iggy or Crossen
    Done.
    We don’t need any WRs as the 6 we should keep are
    Hill, Waddle, Berrios, Ezukanma, Cracraft, and whichever of the others is best out of
    Ced Wilson, Sanders, or Swain.
    Done

34. naplesfan2010 says:

We have enough OGs now that Feeney is here. Hunt and Feeney should start, but Cotton and Robt. Jones are right there to compete for LG.

Done

We do need a back-up Center, but I would not waste a 2nd or 3rd on a back-up center in a year where we have so few picks anyway.

A 6th or 7th round center has like 1% of a chance of being any good to us.

Out of all those you mentioned I still think Eich will be the starter lol

• naplesfan2010 says:

He might be.
        He really might.
        I hope he’s not a bust.
        But whether it is he or one of those above,
        we still don’t need to draft an OG.

Man, if you want a 6’4″ slow plodding WR who goes down like a back alley hooker go and get one. They are cheep. If you want a tight end he needs to be a good blocker. There are already 8 WR and 3 RB who are good receivers on the team. Smythe is still our best TE.

36. naplesfan2010 says:

Interior DL I would say is done, but if a guy they love in interviews or through some back channel is there, they could surprise everyone and take another DE or NT.

I personally think Davis will break out under Fangio.

We only need 4 or 5 of those IDL. We have Wilkins, Ogbah, Sieler, and Davis.

Done*

*maybe

A big time seam busting TE as a receiver isn’t such a big need for us because of Waddle and Hill. Most teams don’t have 2 guys that can get in the middle of the field like they can especially as fast as they can. Tua hits the deeper middle in like 2 seconds with them just keep doing that.

• naplesfan2010 says:

which is why we need a blocking TE to help keep the wolves off Tua who are speed rushing off the edge, especially at RT which is Tua’s blind side.

A TE who can block an OLB decently and chip a DE on the way out to a shallow safety valve route is just what we need.

And the threat of a running game too

That will slow pass rushers down

Right but ordinarily Gesicki would be a great fit for us. Still hate that they say “oh we’re gonna mold our schemes to the players we have and win with them” but as soon as possible EVERY coach disposes of guys who are “core” because guess what – they don’t fit.
        I wish Gesicki would have had the chance to go where this team should be going with this team. Oh well.

• Yep! McDaniel likes to create one on one matchups and avoid gang tackling. That’s why he likes speed.

On and I’d be remiss not mentioning
    Eric Clapton – Slowhand
    Here’s a taste:

This song is awesome

We honor the flag and you crap on it when you don’t shoot your gun in the office. Jimmy, when was the last time you had a desk pop?

I’m a Peacock! YOU HAVE TO LET ME FLY!

41. naplesfan2010 says:

RB is a little like I-DL for us.
    We should carry 4 RBs, and we do have 4,
    but if they can draft an instant offense guy
    or a bigger body guy
    like Charbonnet or DeWayne McBride
    who can beat out Gaskin, then they should.
    And I love Myles Gaskin, but he doesn’t scare any DCs.
    And RB is a common spot for injuries.

Done

(but upgradeable)

A good TE is knocking the shit out of a safety 5 yards down field to spring the RB for 10 more yards.

Holy Pork Rinds

What a great deal!

What could go wrong?

I still have a UFO cassette tape because of those fuckers.

45. naplesfan2010 says:

That brings us to LB.
    Depending on ST usage, teams usually carry 8 or 9 LBs.
    4 OLB and 4 ILB
    Sometimes teams carry 3 QBs and only 8 LBs.
    We might be one of those.

We have improved ourselves at ILB
    IMHO with Long over Roberts,
    but you might disagree.
    I have to think Fangio has earned the right to get the MLB he wants.
    And we have Riley and Tindall to back up Baker and Long.
    Unless they think Tindall sucks.
    I don’t so, and I think they give him another year anyway,
    especially with the upgrade at DC.

At OLB we have Chubb and Phillips backed up by Reed and van Ginkel.
    Plus there’s Goode, who might only be PS level again.

So
    LB

done

46. naplesfan2010 says:

Unfortunately for us, our 2 most problematic position groups are inter-related:
    OT and TE
    I refuse to call Tua injury prone, but even I must admit that we need to max protect the guy at least until we see how the jiu jitsu worked out.

Thus the glaring need to draft OT and TE who can bodyguard Tua.

We need to carry 4 TEs and have only 3 on the roster
    and one of those is a (barely) converted WR.

So there is a hole that we must fill with a FA (but we have no money)
    or through the draft.

Unless we can trade Ced Wilson for a blocking TE,
    which would work really well for me.

But with Columbia House when you signed yourself up as your friend , you got another 4 free .. I always had 2-4 memberships running concurrently, thus the over 600 albums and 300 CDs I still own 😊
    I loved those mail days .. and yes after a few years i did end up with some WTF albums as I had a hard time finding 17 I wanted and did not own …

Lol, you’re a pro
      Once you have so many albums it’s hard to pick 13 out of what they offered

49. bailbondmike says:

Naples, as far as a backup center, it was said Feeney has been practicing there the last 2 years as a backup position.

There are tons of TE’s out there looking for work who have experience and can play meaningful snaps. That’s the easy part. You want to run the ball forget TE put an extra Tackle on the field or use more of Wilkins in the backfield. We have Waddle and Hill everything is different now!!!!!!

51. naplesfan2010 says:

We only have 3 TEs,
    but we have 47 tackles on the roster.

And you know what Parcells always said,
    if you have 47 tackles, you don’t have 2.

By Sheila! By Terry! Shut up Allen, go inside, By Sheila!

The Other Guys is one of my favorite movies ever.

I’m telling you….You were a pimp.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! are you even listening to the story?

LMAO!

Piggs,

Rush – Moving Pictures

You’re welcome

And if you want pure classics then you need
    Elton John – Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    🤷‍♂️

son of a son of a shula says:
    March 22, 2023 at 6:51 pm
    Jackson is getting another shot y’all can replace him all you want

Here’s our starting 5 write it down:

Armstead, Eichenberg, Williams, Hunt, Jackson
    ———————-

Armstead, Feeney, Williams, Hunt, Jackson

Never discount the mullet!

Phantom of the Paradise soundtrack

No Beatles. They suck.

59. Wyoming85 says:

Late round TE

I’m sensing that this Friday night tunes theme should be suggestions for vinyl records

We better hope this doesn’t happen

I bet some one around here will love this helmet

Sad trumpets

65. Dean Chance says:

Way to go soft porn in the morning. Re the Boob video.

66. Dean Chance says:

I used to play these two LPs all the time. They sent my father up the wall. “Shut that bloody music down willya.” I played them louder just to piss him off more.

CCR…The Climax Blues band plays on.

Oh the memories. Bastard pinched them from my room when I was working. Left them in the sunshine and the buckles made them unplayable.

67. bailbondmike says:

This was the last vinyl I bought before I stated buying cassettes.

U2 Rattle and Hum

I never liked U2. I recall a public debate about the guitarist from U2 being better than Jimmy Paige and I was soooo outraged by the ridiculousness of the statement my dislike became hate.

From Saubert

It’s just kind of funny, because when I was coming out of college, I was touted as only a receiver and now I’m being kind of touted as only a blocker. So I didn’t lose that ability to receive it’s just kind of how you’re mixed in the game and what kind of opportunities you get. The ball’s got to be spread around between different guys on different teams you’re on.

I feel the same about his receiving skills, and have mentioned it a few times

Well that would be great now, wouldn’t it?

The Dolphins did add QB insurance with the addition of Mike White to go with Skylar Thompson, two backups who made our list of the league’s 16 best.

Who knew Skylar was ranked that high

Is it September 10th yet?? Sigh

I’d be retired, if it was, but I’m in no hurry to get this season going

Every year it’s the same thing, maybe 2019 wasn’t, but…we look great on paper, then the season starts, we’ll you know that loss wasn’t ugly, so…

I’m just going to enjoy the offsason, that tine of year, when I can walk proud wearing my Fins hat and shirts😏

We used to call these things roach coaches in high school, now all of a sudden with all the regulations they have its a big problem, if they aren’t so clean

I don’t remember it being an issue back then, kinda like bottled water vs drinking from the hose

Vrabel putting a chip on Long’s shoulder is a benefit to us, not only did we sign him to a decent team contract, but it should give him an edge or put him on edge, when he plays

Someone posted the story on here the other day

3 things stood out or reeked about our 2022 D

Couldn’t cover for shit, lots of guys wide open all over the field

Couldn’t tackle for shit

Opposing QBs running free

New D players for 2023 seem to sure up those areas, along with Fangio’s type of D, with less blitzing and more zone

Opposing QBs running free was my biggest concern

It really killed us on the last drive of the regular season @buffali game

Greif AND McDaniel both going to Alabama’s Pro Day tomorrow.

Come on, that’s his old nickname, he’s out lived it

One thing I like about AVG staying is he’s a playmaker, returned a long fumble for a td vs Rams, and has recovered some blocked punts, gas the speed to take it to the house

Good Grief

So there I was, thinking about how we can draft the next George Kittle in a draft class that has no next George Kittle. Then it hit me: why don’t we trade for the authentic George Kittle?

We’re trying to dispatch Ced Wilson and I continue to hear whispers of trading Emmanuel Ogbah.

If we should do this, we could replace Ogbah with our selection @ 51… maybe with
    Adetomiwa Adebawore (6’2″, 282, 4.49 40-time, 37.5 VJ).

Would you do this? Would the 49ers do this?

I doubt we have anything the 49ers would consider for Kittle

It would take one of our premier players

I don’t really think we need a Kittle clone anyway
      Our offense is different than the 49ers

Coach McDaniel built the offense around Tua and our speed at receiver

I agree that we likely don’t have anything the 49ers would consider for Kittle… it’s probably a pipedream.

I agree Pig on what we need at TE, and we don’t need a Kittle, just a good blocker, that can catch the occasional pass, a couple a game would work

Someone we don’t necessarily call plays for, or force the ball to, but gets open for the 3rd down conversion

Career Highlights: Northwestern DE Adetomiwa Adebawore | Northwestern Football | 2023 NFL Draft

Note how well he plays against Ohio State!

Braxton Berrios says he’s been very impressed by ‘absolute warrior’ Tua Tagovailoa

Of course he’s going to say that, but he fits right in with Tua’s style

Waddle’s rookie year is what Berrios’ season might look like, with less passes thrown his way, quick RAC short passes

He should eat up a lot of Waddlee and Hill’s targets, which is a good thing

He’s such a natural fit, that I’m pissed Grier only signed him to a 1 yr deal, he’s going to cost a lot more next year

I never realized how weak the NFC is until I saw this:

Okay, back to Adebawore…

Adetomiwa Adebawore Film Study: Why Adebawore Deserves to be a First Round Pick

Welcome to my man-crush list, Adetomiwa Adebawore. He joins Emmanuel Forbes and Drew Sanders.

Damn, I didn’t realize that DeShon Elliott was so injury prone. He missed 20 of a possibl 40 games with injuries. Hope the glass man can stay healthy for us!

I would assume something would need to happen prior to the draft…figuring the Jest plan B would be to draft a QB.

I guess they could also try to trade for Jackson if the Rodgers trade falls through.

They are not in a great position to draft and their draft history with QBs is not that great.

I haven’t looked at their capital, but I’m sure they could package some picks to move into the top 10 if necessary.

Can you designate a trade post june 1st, or do you have to wait till that time to make the trade?

Looking at Rodgers dead cap hit on the Packers, he’s 40 mil pre june 1st trade, and 15 mil post June 1st trade.

It will just be beautiful if the Jets screw this whole Aaron Rodgers thing up

Cav, there is no fan base more delusional than the Jets’. I have been told that they are going to CRUSH us this year with Rogers at QB…..Don’t you know they are going to win the division.

LOL, yeah I’ve seen some of that. Even with Rodgers, I still think we beat them in the division. Rodgers is a cancer, talented cancer, but cancer none the less.

Looking at Rodgers contract, if the Pack keep him this year, he’s only a 31 mil cap hit vs 40 mil on a pre june 1st trade. Then, an outright release next year is a 24mil cap hit in 2024, or 8 in 2024 and 16 in 2025 if he’s designated post june 1st.

Looking at those numbers, the Pack may be perfectly content to leave him on the roster if the Jest don’t meet their demands.

I tend to think GB has more leverage than the Jets. Worst case scenario is the Pack eats the 24 million and Rodgers doesn’t play for anyone

• But if they want move on from Rodgers and start the Love era wouldn’t they want to get something for him and not eat any money?

Tim, they are eating money either way. If they trade him they eat 40 mil either all this year, or spread out over this year and next. If they hold him they may eat up to 54 mil over the next 3 years.

They should be motivated to move him, but considering they can spread his cap hit out over the next 3 years if they just release him next year, I don’t see them as being highly motivated if they aren’t getting decent comp for him.

And considering the Jest look to have gone all in, as Ken said, they seem to have strong leverage. I think a deal gets done, but the Pack actually benefit if this goes on into June and it hurts the Jest.

‘they’ have strong leverage meaning the Pack.

• Kong, if the Pack waits until June how do they get an draft compensation this year?

I thought when a team trades a player he comes off the books?

They would get draft comp next year. When a player gets traded, the original team often still has dead money, for example signing bonus money that hasn’t been paid yet

Let me rephrase that- signing bonus money the player has already received, but hasn’t hit the team cap yet.

• I didn’t know that in a trade. I thought that it was only if released.

If Rodgers joins the Jets and they have a good season the draft compensation will be lesser next year than what they have this year. They have the #13 and two back to back 2nd rd picks in the 40’s.

But the jest are balking at giving up their #1. The pack are saying they want a #1 and more. At least that is what is being reported.

This is why he’s still a packer, lol

I’m betting the pack want that 1st and one of the 2nds.

Yeah but it really has to be something
        Asking for a 1st rounder for a HOFer is a legit request
        Giving him away for less is not getting something

• I think the Pack definitely wants a 1st and 2nd. Stafford was traded for two 1st round picks. Aaron is older but he’s better.

Exactly, piggy. And that is what my post was outlining. Sure, they want to move him, but they aren’t screwed if they don’t. The financials are manageable. They aren’t motivated to give him away for less than they want.

Meanwhile, the jest seem to be in a tougher place, but they can move up and draft a qb if necessary. Going to be interesting to see who blinks first

Lamar Jackson may be an incredible talent

But he’s a complete moron when it comes to the business of the nfl

This dude is such an penny pincher he won’t even hire a real agent

• He’s close to missing the boat on a big guaranteed contract if he has another season missing 5-6 games. That window will close. He’s been betting on himself but he’s missed 5 games in back to back seasons along with a playoff game last year.

I read something about this possibly happening the other day. I know he’s trying to save that 10% agent fee, but I think he’ll cost himself in the long run

93. Krishna says:

I sure would like to see us have some kinda respectable running game this season…

94. Krishna says:

We need an O front…we have a holes in our our front..gaping…lol

95. Krishna says:

I hope so TK…and thinking same thing…he has what he knows and likes, just use them.

Get the OL fixed….all the coaching doesn’t make talent….Armstead is proof of that

• I don’t know what to think of the OL at this time other than they need to stay healthy and play better.

This coaching staff seems to think they can get guys like Jackson and Eichenberg to play better. I know the outside zone takes time for guys to grasp it. But like you said there is only so much coaching that can be done if the talent isn’t there. So that’s another we shall see. 😉

96. M13, what whispers have you heard that we’re looking to move Ogbah? Not only would that be a tough trade but I wonder why would we a year after re-signing him. Just because he got hurt?

Suuure, the NFL and the teams that reported it just picked his name out of a hat, lol.