ABSOLUTE PERFECTION: THE 1972 MIAMI DOLPHINS

By: Randy Campbell (Old Dolfan)

Game 1:  Sept. 17, 1972 – Miami at Kansas City

2012 marks the 40th Anniversary of the greatest achievement by any team in the storied history of the National Football League. In 1972 the Miami Dolphins did what no other team had ever done before AND what no other team has ever done since.  They ran the table.  They were perfect.  They were 17 and 0.

The Perfect Season had its roots in the 1971 campaign. Young head coach Don Shula had guided the Dolphins into the playoffs.  Then, on Christmas Day 1971, the underdog Dolphins visited the Kansas City Chiefs in what would be the last football game ever played at Municipal Stadium (the former home of the Kansas City Athletics baseball team).  The Chiefs had crushed the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IV.  In 1971 They were still regarded as one of the very best teams in all of football.  Few outside of South Florida gave the Dolphins any chance in this game.  It was a high-scoring contest.  When regulation time was completed, the score was 24-24.  What would happen in sudden death overtime?  Both teams failed to score in the first overtime.  Then, midway through the second overtime, Larry Csonka burst through a gaping hole, running for nearly 40 yards near the Chiefs’ 30 yard line.  Miami lined-up for a 37-yard field goal attempt.  Earlier, future Hall of Fame kicker Jan Stenerud had missed a shorter field goal that would have won it for the Chiefs.  The winds swirled. Garo Yepremian’s 37-yard kick WAS GOOD!!  The longest game in NFL history WAS OVER!  It took 82 minutes and 40 seconds of playing time.South Florida football fans had received an extra special Christmas gift — the gift of Miami’s first ever playoff victory!

Eventually, the thrill of this historic overtime victory gave way to the bitter taste of defeat.  The Dolphins were embarrassed in Super Bowl VI, losing 24-3 to the Dallas Cowboys.  Shula and his players vowed this would never happen to them again. They wanted another shot at the Super Bowl.  They wanted revenge.

On opening day, Sept. 17, 1972, the Chiefs also wanted revenge.  And why not?  Brand new Arrowhead Stadium was a madhouse as nearly 80,000 fans came to the game with one thing on their minds: REVENGE!!  Tickets were selling for 10 to 20 times face value in the parking lots and side streets on game day.  The intensity of these fans was unbelievable!  Psychologically, the Chiefs had the advantage.  But the Dolphins also had some advantages on this sultry day inKansas City.  In no particular order they had: 1) The Brain; 2) The 53 defense; and 3) The Heat.  Calm, cool, collected Bob Griese was The Brain for Miami’s grind-it-out ball control offense.  The key was Griese’s belief that Miami needed to run BETWEEN, not OVER, the Chiefs’ huge defensive linemen.  Griese’s clever play-calling produced a huge running game advantage for the Dolphins.  Fullback Larry Csonka repeated his “Longest Game” heroics by rushing for 118 yards.  Jim Kiick and Mercury Morris also gained important yardage.  The raging late summer heat provided Miami with an extra edge.  Dressed in all-white uniforms (which repelled some sunlight) the Dolphins had an advantage over the red-clad Chiefs (whose dark colors ABSORBED more of the heat).  The temperatures on Arrowhead’s artificial surface approached 120 degrees that day!  “We were dying at the half so you know how they must have felt,” said Mercury Morris.  “We feel we’re in better shape than any team we play.”  Shula’s fearsome 3-A-Day workouts in pads during summer camp were paying off. “This was a real hot one,” said the Don of Miami.  “We felt our preparation gave us an advantage.”

Two Kansas City mistakes led to both Miami touchdowns.  On KC’s first possession, Ed Podolak fumbled and Dick Anderson recovered at Miami’s 43.  After several running plays, Griese lofted a perfect 14-yard TD pass to his newest target, Marlin Briscoe, who’d been acquired from Buffalo for a 1st round draft choice.

After a 47-yard Yepremian field goal, Len Dawson was picked-off by Jake Scott near the Chiefs’ 40.  A 30-yard pass, Griese to Paul Warfield, set-up Csonka’s 2-yard TD run.  Miami had a commanding 17-0 halftime lead in front of a stunned sell-out crowd at Arrowhead.

Miami’s famed 53 defense was created during the preseason of 1972.  Injuries to two defensive ends forced defensive coach Bill Arnsparger to play #53, Bob Matheson, at either defensive end (on a 4-3 defense) or linebacker (on a 3-4 defense).  Miami sprung this new defense on the Chiefs in the 2nd quarter.  In the 3-4 alignment,Miami dropped back 8 defenders in the pass coverage, throttling the KC passing game.  It worked to perfection.  Future Hall of Fame quarterback Len Dawson appeared confused and indecisive.

The two teams traded field goals in the 3rd quarter as Miami led 20-3.  It was incredibly hot.  Not too hot though, for 265 pound Miamiguard Larry Little who SPRINTED down to the other end of the field as the 3rd quarter came to a close! “That was the sweetest sight” said a smiling Don Shula.  The Chiefs finally scored their lone touchdown with just 9 seconds left on the clock.  The final score, 20-10, was deceptively close. In fact, Miami was in total control of this football game.

Losing coach Hank Stram commented “I didn’t think either team played with much enthusiasm.” It was a listless game throughout.”  When told of Stram’s comments, Shula broke into a wide grin and replied, “I was very happy with our enthusiasm.”

The road to Absolute Perfection had begun with a most impressive road win over one of the best teams in the National Football League.  The 1972 Dolphins were now 1-0.

This entry was posted in Absolute Perfection and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

255 Responses to ABSOLUTE PERFECTION: THE 1972 MIAMI DOLPHINS

1. jetsssuck says:

1st again.

2. jetsssuck says:

I went to the return of the dolphins at the airport after the loss to dallas. There must have been 400-500 people cheering and chanting we’re number 1. Shula said he appreciated the crowd but we are not number 1.
    Then I went to the 1st training camp day of the perfect season. Shula asked people in stands if their was any KC spies in the stands spying.

3. jetsssuck says:

Going back to the 1971 afc championship game against the colts. The Dolphins organization was not prepared for hosting the afc championship. Season ticket holders had to stand in line for tickets to the game. The line was twisted all the way around half of the stadium.People waited hours to get tickets.

JETSSUCK; In January of 1983 the same thing happened following the AFC Championship Game, held in the historic Orange Bowl. 1982 was the strike season. Only 9 regular season games were played. The playoffs were expanded to 16 teams (8 in each conference). When Miami defeated the JETS 14-0 in a quagmire, the Dolphins announced that those wanting Super Bowl tickets would have to get in line at 6 AM at the Orange Bowl ticket office. I drove home to West Palm Beach after a night of celebrating in Ft. Lauderdale. I got home around 3:30 AM –I fed my dog, let him out, got 30 minutes sleep, then jumped in my car and drove all the way BACK to the Orange Bowl and got in line around 5:30 AM, about 30 minutes before sunrise. At 1:30 PM, after standing in line 8 hours, I got two tickets to Super Bowl XVII. About 3 minutes later they ran out of tickets! –Boy, were the folks behind me in line PISSED OFF!!

• jetsssuck says:

When Miami defeated the JETS 14-0 in a quagmire–AND Shula had the stadium crew forget to tarp the field during the rainstorm the night before. Shula was always looking for advantages just like modern day coaches. Somehow the visiting teams ice machine didn’t work,the a/c in their locker rooms didn’t work, and somehow Shula never got caught tampering with the rules….Same old tricks teams play.

I hope all of you wonderful Dolphin fans enjoy ABSOLUTE PERFECTION—-the story of the ONE AND ONLY PERFECT SEASON. –Those of you who were not around for this series in 2012 will learn quite a few things you probably didn’t know about the ’72 Dolphins and their historic achievement. For those of you who WERE AROUND, this “replay” will make you prouder than ever to be a Dolphin fan. –I hope someone more gifted than I am in computer skills can forward this series to Steve Ross. HE NEEDS TO READ IT!!

OD, just keep shoving down our throats how great we used to be…lol
    Just kidding ya, it is a very good article. I even found something I didn’t know or forgot from long ago, I was so little then.
    Thanks for the write up, it was very well done. Hope our Phins of today can become half as good as our beloved Phins of that incredible one of a kind era!

Titans hired Dick LeBeau as assistant head coach/defense.
    LeBeau will run the Titans’ defense despite not having the title of defensive coordinator. DC Ray Horton will stay on staff, but is being demoted after opposing offenses ran through his unit for an average of 137-plus yards per game on the ground. The Titans also gave up the ninth-most passing touchdowns in 2014.
    ______________________________
    I wish the Phins made this move! Are the Phins players on Defense gonna give their all for Coyle, are they buying into what he’s doing???

• jetsssuck says:

guy is close to 80 years old and he looks like he is in his early 60’s. I wish I could age like him. Guy also is a scratch golfer.

GDP, OD isn’t shoving the series down your throat we are running it as a tribute to his great work and we are appreciative of the fact that he has allowed us to archive it here.

OD, you are correct we need to get this series to Ross.

As a kid I wore a Csonka jersey. He was my hero, got to meet him in person, got his autograph. That was one guy that had to be gang tackled, and even then he still drug a pile of bodies for a few more yards, or sometimes pop out of the back end of the pack and keep on trucking.
    He played with a broken nose on several occasions, broken fingers, cuts,…he was the real definition of ‘Best Mode’!

He was my hero too. I think his nose and face mask are the most indelible marks that made me a fins fan a young kid.

• jetsssuck says:

zonk had all 5 OL make the pro bowl in same year 1973. Nottingham and Buliach increased their per yard per carry by a yard when they played with Miami.

9. professor lou says:

OD’s history of the ’72 team (great writing and all) is an example of what this team once was and what it should be and that’s why it is so difficult as a fan to stomach all of these years of mediocrity.

Well we are embarking somewhat on a thing called continuity I hope it pays dividends we saw what constant change has brought us.

That was the point of my teasing above…whenever I think back to those days, it is bitter sweet because of what we are now.
      Although Tannehill has given us the most hope we’ve had in 15 years.

Build around this kid with better players, and better coaching and we should be back in the hunt as a contender!

Go Tanny!

Then some youngin from here will be writing about the glory years in 2015-2025 some 40 years from now. 🙂

Even more has to go on Tanny next year, he HAS to avoid late game 3 and outs some way some how. He has to will the O to make late drives to seal games and he has to hit wide open receivers in stride at a higher rate. We left too many big plays on the field last year because the receiver wasn’t able to get extra yardage after the catch because he was coming back or diving or going low to get it.
    Tanny will get HUGE money for a playoff run next year, practice is over time to show out.

A solid OL will do wonders for him as it’s done for all the top QB’s. Plus a defense that can keep the opponents under 23.2 pts a game and get the ball back for Tanny.

Lou, those were very interesting number comparisons of us to Seattle from this past season what it shows me is that we are a team ready to compete but for a variety of reasons failed to get it done.

Mornin’ folks! I totally understand where Son is coming from. It’s not that Tanny played poorly, but he does have to play even better if we want to be in the playoffs and go somewhere in the playoffs. Of course, better pass blocking, and a consistent run game will help him get there, and maybe a nice big target to throw to who’s name isn’t Lynch! lol

or it would be fine if its (insert name here) and Lynch.

I suppose. I want a guy who can get down the field. I see the WR Matthews on SEA make an impact like that, it’s so frustrating that we can’t seem to find one like that. There a few big WR’s available in the draft, I hope we get one. Lynch is fine, but we better not be expecting any big plays downfield from him.

Yes indeed…even Tanny humbly says he needs to keep improving. We know that is also depending on a few factors outside of his control.
      But hey, the kid has shown improvement each year in the face of diversity, injuries, bad play calls, and the league’s worse OL over that period.

So we should have good things to look forward to as Hickey improves this teams personnel.

We need more guys with the approach of Landry and Albert. Not here to enjoy SoBe but here to work and make the team and themselves great.
    I’m so tired of hearing every year excuses and reports of guys screwing off in meetings, pissing and moaning because of this or that. It takes a full commitment by everyone to win. Go look at the top teams – guaranteed they don’t joke about sleeping or joking through meetings.

I hope being around the Super Bowl has helped Tannehill feel the hunger, I hope two years of falling short due to no one but themselves has got Tannehill really pissed off, I hope year two in a new offense gives him the confidence to lower his voice an octive or two and take this team by the balls and literally carry them to the playoffs. That’s what it takes.
    We need a spark on D who can come in and change the entire attitude of the unit, I say Suh, but maybe its a draft choice like Shaq but we need a new leader who does not accept losing as an option.

• dbolt48 says:

We need a cast of WRs that will do their jobs. This year we finished the year short handed the last 2 games at WR. Jets game we had 4 active WE’s which was reduced to 3 after one quit. We can’t hamstring our squad like that again. You can get away with it if your the Pats because of an elite OL, but not with what we were fielding at the end of the year. Philbin needs to make better game day roster decisions.

Son

What are your thoughts on Gerod Holliman?

I like him but if he falls late first early second we’ll never get a shot at him. He could really help us out. Reading pro QB’s is tougher than college but he has great hands and closing speed.

17. Al in MIA says:

Jetssuck,
    In case you missed this article last month, there’s good stuff on Lebeau in here in terms of life philosphy.

I think OD lives by some of the same stuff Randy (OD) talks about in here 🙂

“So what’s next for the man who played 14 seasons for the Lions before going into coaching?

His 2010 Pro Football Hall of Fame speech might offer a glimpse.

“Life is for living, folks,” he said. “Don’t let somebody tell you that you’re too old to do this or too old to do that. Stay in life. Life is a gift. It’s a joy. Don’t drop out of it. Don’t let somebody else tell you and don’t let your mind tell you.

“If I would have gotten out of my life’s work at 65 or 67, when they say is the age of retirement, here is what I would have missed, folks: I would have missed not one, but two World Championship football teams that I got to be a part of. I got to be a part of a No. 1 defense that statistically had the lowest numbers in the last 35 or 40 years. I had my number retired from my high school. Had a building named after me in my hometown. I made the Detroit Lions 75th Anniversary team. I was accepted into the Ohio State University Athletic Hall of Fame. Now tonight I guess when I sit down, which I’m gonna do, I’ll be in the NFL Hall of Fame. My mother always said, ‘Onward and upward, age is just a number.’ “

18. Al in MIA says:

GDP,
    Much is made about the Fins LB problems but it’s a two fold issue.

20. Al in MIA says:

Guys I’m really trying to set myself up for seeing Miami take White but after all the pre-draft workouts are finished with, I think he may go top 10 😦

A lot of scouts have him with basically the same grade as cooper
      And he is bigger and maybe faster
      So there is a good chance he will be first WR off the board
      And the first WR off the board is likely to be a top 10 pick
      Particularly given the great year of the rookie class last year

If he goes under 4.4 say goodbye

A lot will change for many positions after the combine, pro days, & private team workouts.
      But have no fear, White isn’t the only good big WR in this draft. It’s a solid class….IMO.
      A guy like Vince Mayle could be just as good.

21. Al in MIA says:

Piggy,
    Saw you were talking about Donald light in the draft but to me that would be OSU DT Michael Bennett.

22. Al in MIA says:

I’m also liking what I see out of Texas DT Malcom Brown.
    I haven’t really analyzed Oklahoma’s Jordan Phillips but he’s a man giant at 6-6 335 lbs.
    As for FSU’s Eddie Goldman? He’s tough for me to like; appears to have no moves other than a bullrush.

GDP – I’d roll the dice with him learning how to wrap up and tackle, but we need someone back there who can make plays, and cause turnovers, and I think he’s that guy. The knock on him is he goes for the big hit too often, that’s correctable. You can’t teach instincts.

Al, heck yeah Ross could learn something from LeBeau, afterall Dick has been around the Rooney’s and other great owners for awhile.

25. Al in MIA says:

As for DL in general and not just DT; Alvin Dupree of KY really left a good impression on my after his showing at the East-West shrine. He doesn’t have the pure athleticism that I look for in a high end pick, however, his fight is off the chart and he wins by sheer effort many times. This guy puts 100% effort and pumps up everyone around him ala some of the great Ravens players.

That’s the way I view Fowler Jr. If he fell to 14 I’d take him in a second because of the impact I think he’d have on the entire team.

• Al in MIA says:

Correction: ZaDarius Smith and NOT Dupree lol. Sorry I was going a little too KY crazy

26. Al in MIA says:

Piggy,
    Bennett had big games vs Wisconsin and also provided some key plays in the 2nd half vs Bama in the national title game. However, it should be noted that he was paired with another talented guy in Adolphus Washington so got to pay attention to that when looking at the film.

Mike, I see what you’re saying on Holliman, but it’s still a risk with a 1-2nd rd pick.
    There are other good FS candidates that have good ball skills & instincts like Smith, Hackett, Drummond, Eskridge, Amos….
    We’ll be able to find a good Safety even in the mid rounds.

28. Al in MIA says:

Piggy,
    I’m not buying the mocksters either who keep showing a defensive player for JAX.
    What kind of F-ed up organization would by pass the most important weapon for a QB with a team lacking a true #1?

Colts ILB D’Qwell Jackson was arrested for assault in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday night.
    Jackson allegedly punched a pizza delivery boy in the face and in the back of the head in a fight over a parking spot. You can’t make this stuff up. Jackson is being charged with simple assault. The Colts are on a record pace for off-field issues and have become the new Bengals. Jackson, 31, started all 19 games for the Colts this past season, playing over 1000 snaps.

Jax could potentially go Leonard Williams followed by Funchess and still have Blackmon coming back.

• Al in MIA says:

Blackmon is a lost cause. No way they can ‘depend’ on him and the team has to proceed as if Blackmon won’t ever materialize. If he does, it’s a plus.

31. Al in MIA says:

Son,
    They have the best defense in the division next to the Texans I guess and one of the better ones in the NFL. Jax needs offense waaaaaaaaaay more than they need defense.

True but you can’t draft well leaving the best player on the board.
      See what I said above, they may end up with Williams and Funchess or another big receiver who’d be there early second.

Oklahoma WR Dorial Green-Beckham has a “rare catch radius with [an] ability to pluck would-be interceptions and turn them into catches,” according to NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.
    “Imposing physical specimen with outstanding height, weight and speed numbers,” Zierlein wrote. “Smooth, effortless strides to chomp up cushion and blow by overconfident corners. Runs routes with forward lean and can activate second gear when he chooses.” Zierlein recently interviewed an NFC director of personnel who didn’t believe Green-Beckham should be taken prior to the fourth-round. “I think the consistent problems for Josh Gordon are going to leak over and hurt (Green-Beckham’s) draft stock,” the executive said. “He’s tall and fast and has good hands, but he can’t be trusted. Why would you take a guy like that before the third day?”
    ___________________________________
    This is either a smoke screen by the unnamed NFL exec, or possibly a good thing for the Phins to get him in the 3rd round…but I have a feeling DGB could go late 1st, or definitely be gone by mid 2nd round.
    again, a lot still depends on the combines, pro days, & team workouts/interviews.

They talk about Gordon all the time now but look at Dez Bryant he’s been able to play every year and has minimal problems since entering the league. Reporters love to but everyone in a box.

33. Al in MIA says:

GDP,
    I like Tennessee LB AJ Johnson’s game alot but he’s not grading so well in the character department :/ (off campus rape allegation last year and also arrested in a seperate incident for buying alcohol for minors).

34. Al in MIA says:

OSU LB Curtis Grant wouldn’t be a bad 3rd day option either….We need guys who are hungry and can play with some toughness when playing big opponents.

GDP – I think DGB goes first RD, maybe early 2nd

Agreed, is why I keep saying if I’m Hickey & Philbin in a do or die year, I swing for the fences and take my chances, grab the kid early on and hope to put more points on the board each week.

Son, great point above on guys like Dez Bryant…some guys do settle down & mature, some don’t.
    Of course I’d still love to get DGB in this draft and a guy like Dorrsett, Devlin Smith…or maybe a Clive Walford to pair with DGB.

Best case scenario…dreaming here…lol

1st rd) Danny Shelton/Malcom Brown
    2nd rd) Clive Walford
    3rd Rd) DGB

37. jahndoh says:

Al,
    Good stuff on LeBeau. Thanks for sharing it. Regarding some analysis above, I wanted to challenge/question ya on this comment: “It’s hard to fault LB in the run game when you see offensive blockers 5 yards past the LOS taking out LB. UNACCEPTABLE from the DL unit to leave gaps that open for pulling blockers.”

I’m a little confused. Blockers getting to the second level is acceptable if the DL assignment is penetration, and a lot of Coyle (and Kacy’s) scheme is about penetration. The DTs aren’t always told to eat blockers. Furthermore, I’m not sure how a DL leave “gaps that open for pulling blockers” Pulling blockers vacate their gap and run down the line to block. The way you beat a pulling guard is by having multiple LBs/DBs in the defensive backfield so he can’t block them all.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding ya though?

• jahndoh says:

Sorry, that should say “by having multiple LBs/DBs in the OFFENSIVE backfield.

LB’s also have to be adept at shedding blocks and not letting themselves get overly engaged.

• Al in MIA says:

Well, maybe not so much on the pulling stuff…but what I’m getting at is the guards/centers just easly tossing a DT to the side or just sealing them out leaving a big enough gap between two OL players that 3 of us can run through there. With a tight window the margin of error is none and then talent takes over for guys trying to get to the 2nd level to take out LB.

• Al in MIA says:

In terms of DT shooting gaps, yea well they are suppose to disrupt the scheme.

38. jahndoh says:

I just don’t see DGB here. He’s obviously talented, but recently somebody said, take all of Gordon’s college issues and add in domestic violence and you’ve got DGB. Gil Brandt said last night, one of the biggest things he learned after half a century in the NFL was that when you have guys that have problems with the law, substances, get kicked off teams, and cause other off-field problems, your career will thank you if you just stay away from them.

His talent is undeniable. His proponents will point to Dez Bryant (he’s KINDA stayed out of trouble, for the last year and a half or so), and Honeybadger (who’s had injury issues, but kept his nose clean), but there’s also player like Lawrence and Josh Gordon to point too. That’s why that one exec is saying he’s a 3rd rounder. If you’re going to roll the dice, you don’t want to do it with a first rounder.

I also think the worse possible thing for Wallace (and Matthews, but I have a feeling he’s gone this offseason) would be to bring in DGB. If you want DGB, I think it’d behoove you to expect to see Wallace gone.

Just some thoughts….

• jahndoh says:

lawrence phillips that is…

Fair thoughts, it’s a gamble, but what kid isn’t these days…sadly it seems to be the norm rather than the exception anymore.
      At any rate, the chatter is the Rams will take him, if not @ #10, then they will in the 2nd round.
      They have a solid championship type defense, but need a playmaker WR especially if they are staying with Bradford on offense.
      DGB is from the MO area, so he’d have his family support close by. Guess it really depends on what Fisher wants.

39. Al in MIA says:

getterdone says:
    February 4, 2015 at 11:07 am

——
    Agree there but not going to win the battle vs a lineman running at you full speed in the middle of your running lane. The best a LB can do in that situation is stop the forward momentum of the OL in question and make the people behind him shift their running angle. But a a poor play by the LB to me is getting hit then falling back 2-3 yards or being easily pushed out of his spot by about 2-3 yards after contact.

• jahndoh says:

I get what you’re saying, but I think more of it is scheme related then execution related. You said the penetration is supposed to disrupt the play, but if the play is a screen pass (for instance) it’s not only not going to disrupt it, it’s just flat out the wrong scheme. I guess I’m saying some of that you have to lay at Coyle’s feet as opposed to putting it on the guys executing the scheme that’s called.

Your score is: 4912 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 14: Danny Shelton, DT, Washington (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Gerod Holliman, FS, Louisville (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Breshad Perriman, WR, UCF (A)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Rob Havenstein, OT, Wisconsin (B+)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami (Fla.) (A)
    Round 7 Pick 15: Zach Zenner, FB/RB, South Dakota State (B)

That is a pretty good draft
      Shelton, Ifo and Holliman would probably make our d better right away

But we need LBs too

41. Al in MIA says:

I don’t know what the approach will be with FA & the draft (and thus the shakeup to the current roster in anticipation of that talent pool in FA/draft to be had) but aside from adding more weapons at the skill positions, I think this team needs to really chore up their structural problems along both DL/OL fronts and that means addressing once and for all the OG & DT spots. I do think the team needs better ILB play, better FS play, better TE play BUT fixing this will be a wash if the DT position or OG don’t get sorted out.

Agreed, the trenches man, the trenches. 🙂

• jahndoh says:

I tend to agree with you, but “once and for all” regarding the DT spot is a bit dramatic. LOL….just an observation. From Soliai, to Odrick to Starks, to Mitchell, we’ve had (mostly) quality DT draftees and/or FA signings at the position for years.

42. CaliGigi says:

Thanks again to OD for all his efforts these posts are gems. Also, Jarvis Landry deserves the Oinkee…imo.

Absolutely — OD’s stuff should turn into a book that should be read over and over.
      How’s the far coast?

• CaliGigi says:

Pretty good thanks adjusted to time change enjoying cool/cold weather…not fog as much but am very happy thank you!! 🙂

• CaliGigi says:

Jahn: I’m in Central Valley work at a law firm in Fresno live in Visalia. I love it here! You in Oregon for vaca?

The evil genius will come up with a plan, but the Pats don’t look to be big players in FA.
    They are $4.5 mil projected over the cap right now (3rd worst in the league).

The big question for them is Revis. They have a $20 mil option on him, but then that is a twenty mil option. They might negotiate down or let him go elsewhere, but then we are talking about Revis. And whatever they do they already pushed $5 mil of his signing bonus into next season.

Just hit me why that huge option is in there — it so he can’t be franchised. CB franchised. That was $12 mil last year…….after how he played this year he’ll be looking for either more than that or a long-term last big contract (Revis is 30).

44. jahndoh says:

Gigi in my neighborhood? Nice. Welcome to Cali. Funny that I’m in OR right now. What part you in?

Mike, Havenstein is the 6’8 OT right?

46. Al in MIA says:

Jahn,
    Lol @ dramatic. Indeed, but once and for all for the two units to be on the same page is what I was after.

47. Al in MIA says:

Gigi move to Cali? or just vacationing.

48. jahndoh says:

GDP,
    Getting DGB and keeping Bradford at QB sounds last ditch to me. I think Bradford’s tryout should be over at this point…though this may not be the best offseason to address QB for them unfortunately.

Fisher does have a reputation for taking chances on players though.

Yep, he’s got to be desperate by now, as well as his owner….he’s in a Win Now mode like Philbin…but in a tough division as well.

Jahn, I said that yesterday regarding our DL, which has been considered one of the best units for years, we also have talent all over the defense come and go….there is a problem, and I think it’s scheme, coaching, defensive play calls.
    We are not getting the best out of our defense over the coarse of a full season, depth included.

^course^ lol

• jahndoh says:

I generally agree. I think in part the scheme lends itself to wear and tear on our front 7 and that’s what we saw in the late season collapse this year. I think we missed Soliai who absorbed a bunch of that punishment over the course of the season so guys like Starks and Odrick and Wake still had some burst left in them as the season got long in the tooth.

Hey CaliGigi!

GDP – Yes, Havenstein is that big RT. You never know with Albert, so you have some insurance with Havenstein at RT, and James at LT. Certainly worth a 5th RD pick

What a comment on the new smart phone world.

Maybe he was getting it ready to take a pic….

Either way — pisses me off during dinner when everyone has their smart phones placed right in front of them and keep checking……..thought I was more interesting than that. 🙂

53. CaliGigi says:

Gotta runBBL

Gigi

How is Cali treating ya?

Where is D today?

It’s a little different but I like it!

14: R1P14 WR KEVIN WHITE WEST VIRGINIA
    47: R2P15 OG A.J. CANN SOUTH CAROLINA
    78: R3P14 CB RONALD DARBY FLORIDA STATE
    111: R4P15 FS CHRIS HACKETT TCU
    142: R5P14 DT LOUIS TRINCA-PASAT IOWA
    175: R6P15 ILB TAIWAN JONES MICHIGAN STATE
    207: R7P15 FB TYLER VARGA YALE

Oh My, I mentioned getting DT/NTGuion in FA a few weeks ago…

Packers NT Letroy Guion was arrested for possession of marijuana in Stake, Fla. on Tuesday night.
    It’s apparently the NFL offseason. Three players were arrested overnight, including Colts ILB D’Qwell Jackson (assault) and Cowboys RB Joseph Randle (drugs). Guion was a steal for Packers GM Ted Thompon this past season, as he started all 18 games at nose tackle. The Packers had been in discussions to lock Guion up with a long-term deal before he hits free agency next month.

58. dbolt48 says:

So, let me get this straight. When the Jets play the Fins in London at 9:30, Gigi will now have to be up at 6:30 just to catch kickoff??? At least the hangover will sleep off easily

59. Al in MIA says:

Jahn,
    It was an off year for Coyle. What put me off was the calls he made in certain situations (Stafford needing to toss a TD and he only sends 3 guys up front which allows Matthew to wiggle out of the pocket easily to set up the go ahead TD). Vs the Broncos, the 3 man pass rush near the 5 which let Peyton fire a perfect pass passed Jenkins position in front of the receiver. You also had that infamous 3rd and 20 in the 2Q where Coyle sent only 2 DL and Sanders caught the pass. There were a couple plays in the Ravens game, for example the near safety (looked like safety in replay), that was a 3 man rush in which the DE made an extraordinary play to beat his man and make a play. Then again, in that game he called an all out blitz in what, the 3Q and Wheeler got taken out so badly that Flacco was able to run for a big gain. It’s the inconsistency throughout the game that kinda leaves me like “EH WTF”. I’m hoping he can use more push up front instead of using more DB to defend. You aren’t tricking the top end QB with extra DB back there.

60. sixthree0ne says:

Man we dodged a bullet by this guy going to Clev. He’s total screwed up the Browns and now could cost them draft picks. The Browns will probably give him a raise. Lol

Round 1 Pick 14: Danny Shelton, DT, Washington (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Denzel Perryman, ILB/OLB, Miami (Fla.) (B)
    Round 3 Pick 23 (PITT): Clive Walford, TE, Miami (Fla.) (A)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Chris Hackett, FS, TCU (B+)
    Round 4 Pick 26 (BALT): Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville (B)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Karlos Williams, RB, Florida State (B)
    Round 6 Pick 28 (BALT): Tyrus Thompson, OT, Oklahoma (B)
    Round 7 Pick 15: Derrick Malone Jr., OLB, Oregon (B+)

OD – Thank you so much for allowing us to run these articles. They are fantastic accounts of a great time in our teams history, and gives us something to strive for. Hopefully, some new readers get to cherish this.

63. CaliGigi says:

Dbolt: I have to be up at 10 am for our 1 pm games am usually up at 5:45 during the week so 6:30 am not so bad…lol.
    *******
    Mike E: Cali is treating me good so far my friend 50 degrees and sunny hi of 70 today 🙂

Hi GiGi. Hope everything is going well for you. Good yo see ya again.

• CaliGigi says:

Thank you very much good to see you all is good with me hope the same for you. Not easy to blog due to work but will be on later tonight!

65. sixthree0ne says:

dbolt48 says:
    February 4, 2015 at 12:34 pm
    LOL. Just read about that. Remember everyone complained when we came away with Hickey instead of Farmer or Dawson?

Yes! Man we got lucky. Farmer is a textbook example of how NOT to run a team.

The whole point of running a 4/3 is that you EXPECT to get pressure from your front 4. It is also designed to free up your LBers to play run/pass because you’re not expecting them to press the LOS. And, bringing lbers in the pass rush exposes your defensive backfield. If you don’t get pressure from your front 4, it screws up everything else and puts more pressure on your lbers and strong safety to pick up the slack.

In today’s NFL, lbers are used in coverage a lot more. But, if your front 4 can’t get pressure, you gotta try something different…like use a 3 man rush and bring in more guys in coverage….and that’s what Coyle chose to do often. As fans, we don’t know if it was because he didn’t have faith in his front 4 getting there, or it was simply a match-up decision.

I still think it’s a personnel issue. Our front 4 simply weren’t getting consistent pressure, so maybe Coyle simply felt he had to do something different. It’s hard to fault Coyle when we really don’t know why he made the decisions/alignments he made.

• dbolt48 says:

No pressure and couldn’t keep the LBs clean. Also saw yesterday that Starks played really limited snaps overall and still faded badly down the stretch. Time to move on from him. He could probably still thrive in limited snaps at 3-4DE, but his days at DT are probably done unless he plays at a very reduced contract.

I agree
      It’s not like what we were doing was working and he went with something different to be cute!
      We were getting steam rolled and he was throwing everything ( including the kitchen sink ) at it!

Its good to know that Americans are spending more time with Pork than those ridiculous cows.

This is the first step to negotiations between humans and pigkind. Soon there may be a treaty!
    Cows are notable jerks, so Americans lose nothing by spendign less time with them in favor of pigs

That was what that article was about right GDP? I didn’t get a chance to open it at work

Gigi – Great to hear that! We’re having a “warm” spell today, may reach 40!

Piggy,
    I had 2 slices of Canadian bacon pizza for lunch, but I didn’t feel guilty because just like Canadian humans nobody really cares about Canadian pigs, right?

70. dbolt48 says:

I had a nice slice of ham this afternoon.

Dbolt,
    Yeah, I knew Starks played limited snaps, but as I pointed out a week ago, his stats were still just as good as Odrick and Mitchell. Fewer tackles but more sacks on a lot fewer reps. He was the one guy getting interior pressure…albeit inconsistently. I still think Starks can be effective as an interior pass rusher when he’s singled up on a guard, but maybe his legs are starting to fade on him. He has played a lot of football by the age of 31. I still think he was more effective than Odrick in his limited snaps. The question is can he still eat up snaps and be effective? He’s not the only guy who appeared to fade down the stretch. But, if you look at Starks stats, they didn’t fade late in the season.

Piggy,
    I’ve eaten my share of pink camel toe but never pink moose….at least as far as I know since I usually do my nibbling in the dark. Do camel and moose smell alike?

73. Al in MIA says:

Randy,
    I’m a bit more cynical about DB usage in the NFL…it’s gone the way of flag football so even the best one is working at a disadvantage from the get go. Best way to stop the pass game is to not let the QB sit comfortably in the pocket.

This would piss a bunch of you off! 🙂

14: R1P14 S LANDON COLLINS ALABAMA
    47: R2P15 G A.J. CANN SOUTH CAROLINA
    78: R3P14 S DERRON SMITH FRESNO STATE
    111: R4P15 CB DORAN GRANT OHIO STATE
    142: R5P14 WR TONY LIPPETT MICHIGAN STATE
    175: R6P15 ILB MIKE HULL PENN STATE
    207: R7P15 DT DERRICK LOTT CHATTANOOGA

Only on this blog can you say the phrase pink moose and get a dozen vagina references

Al
    I agree, but we just weren’t having guys get there in the pass rush. So, what do you do….bring LBers and dbs on blitzes and expose your coverage…or go with 3 down linemen and bring in more cover guys…knowing you’re not able to get quick pressure on the QB b/c your front 4 simply aren’t getting there? That’s sorta the conundrum you’re faced with. I also think we saw some 3 down linemen alignments simply due to matchup decisions. Our inside pressure was just not adequate…and the edge rushers weren’t exactly tearing it up either.

The thing I sometimes had issues with were how simple and uninspired our pressure/coverage packages were. Coyle just doesn’t seem to be able to(or doesn’t want to) come up with different schemes to get pressure. But, again, maybe it’s a personnel issue. Maybe they’ve tried things in practice, and the players simply couldn’t do it. Coyle seems rather conservative, but maybe there are other factors involved. Sometimes it just comes down to matchups week to week.

• jahndoh says:

couldn’t agree more randy. If you’re going to rush 3 and play coverage, you can’t play soft at Corner on 3rd and short/medium or the QB who won’t be facing any pressure will just eat you up with slants and shallow crosses all day long, which is where I think, iirc some of Al’s frustration stems from. Seems like so often when he’d give up on playing the pressure game with the front four was on the snaps when playing the pressure game with the front four was the best playcall. I’d rather see him play that 3 man stuff when the games not on the line so the front four has a little gas in the tank, then play it the whole game until the game’s on the line and the tanks are empty.

I’m still just getting into draft stuff.

Does anybody here like Anthony Harris from Virginia as a free safety? I thnk our defense has been missing a better than good free safety for years.

You are the first I’ve seen mention him
      I hear he is a 2-3rd rounder

He had 8 ints as a junior

Ther eis really not much not to like
      Appears to be a good all around safety

I have to look into him more

• dbolt48 says:

I like him, but for some reason I thought he was more of a SS prospect because of his speed.

• dbolt48 says:

If he tests out well at the combine speed wise there’s a good chance he can jump to Round 1 as a FS, but if not he’ll be round 2-3 at SS.

Piggy,
    I like to look for guys who are 2-4 round guys who look like they have upside. I like the way Harris plays in terms of how he seems to see the game. He reads plays really well and reacts quickly. I don’t like him as an in the box strong safety as much because he’s not all that physical…not a weakness…he just seems more comfortable in space….and might be a nice guy to have on the backend diagnosing and breaking up plays. I’d definitely have him on my board as a 2-4 round option. He’s a long, rangy kid who looks like he has room to develop.

DBolt just mentioned it with regards tro Harris
      He lacks speed
      So that is the negative

But overall he looks like a good prospect

Dbolt,
    Yep, that’s why I asked if people like him as a free safety. From what I saw, Virginia played quarters coverage at times but sometimes it’s hard to tell from video. If they did drop a safety into the box it was Harris. And, he did okay, he’s just not a real physical hitter like a Reshad Jones.

• dbolt48 says:

Yep…just want to see how he tests athletically. He’s 6-1 187….so not a ton of size and if he doesn’t test good athletically it’s going to be rough for him. You’d have to worry what happens when he adds weight to his frame. Tis the draft season….LOL

I guess Harris falls into the same group as Holliman and Hacket
    those three safeties might be available in 3rd round or later and may have the ability to start for us next season

I think we have good options at safety via the draft

Hey Baby just give me a sec!

Plus-sized model, Ashley Graham, is making history by posing in Sports Illustrated’s annual swimsuit issue.

now that is the type of history people like.

Just got a call from the Phins ticket office. And yeah they want our Fest business next year.

Interesting part was the sales woman said that capacity will be ten thousand less next year cause they are taking out a bunch of upper deck seats. Hadn’t read that before, and maybe she was doing the hard sales pitch, but if true sounds like Ross is done with buying up tickets to avoid the blackout. Or maybe the new seats will be wider.

• dbolt48 says:

They’re taking all 4 upper corners out. I know one is completely gone already.

But they still need the event capacity. Have to assume that they’ll have some ability to pop seats in their come big events. Might be like tarping them off. Don’t think you get a Superbowl with only 45 thousand seats.

X

did you tell them you were just going to buy WWF tickets next year in that it is more believable the the NFL is

ffr — forgot to mention. Was really going with what she said about “get your tickets now” before the schedule hadn’t come up didn’t make much sense given my past experience.

85. dbolt48 says:

@TomGarfinkel: 012715 http://t.co/bXqxsmlX89

Taking some of those upper deck seats is smart IMO
    might make the staidum appear louder and less empty

I don;t think the fan support in S Fla is as bad as some people say
    There is actually a pretty good tailgating turnout
    We get a lot of fans for opposing teams which annoys me

but statisticallty we do pretty well in sales

87. jahndoh says:

Thinking out loud here, but might removing those upper corner seats also facility sea-breeze/airflow in the stadium once the new shade cover is built?

14: R1P14 WR KEVIN WHITE WEST VIRGINIA
    47: R2P15 CB IFO EKPRE-OLOMU OREGON
    78: R3P14 G TRE’ JACKSON FLORIDA STATE
    111: R4P15 S CHRIS HACKETT TCU
    142: R5P14 DT LOUIS TRINCA-PASAT IOWA
    175: R6P15 ILB MIKE HULL PENN STATE
    207: R7P15 FB ZACH ZENNER SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Can’t even come close to judging the talent yet, but WR, CB, G, S, DT and ILB………..can’t say those are matched to what we need. But notice I left out FB. They are a dying breed. Even if you want one no reason to draft.

About half of the job for the stadium renovations will be done this year. The umbrella and the 4 screens (one in each corner) will go in NEXT offseason. This upcoming season won’t have an umbrella but the seating reconfiguration and a bunch of other stuff will be done.
    This season will be the last season with the two large screens in either endzone. The seating being removed now will speed up the installation and completion of the corners the following year.

This rendering shows how the stadium will look for the ’15 season.

LMAO @ Piggy’s fart tunnels. Cracks me up that Pig

TO EVERYONE: THANK YOU for all the kind comments. Those comments really mean a lot to me. GREAT to see Miss GIGI is doing well in the Fresno area. GIGI, we sure hope you and your significant other can make it to the Mobfest this season
    ——————–
    In the next 3-6 days I’ll be receiving a package from the Dolphins ticket office. -NO, FFR, it does NOT have a ticking bomb sound coming out of it!! – – It will be full of info about the seat selection process. When it arrives, I’ll fill you in on all the details, some of which have already been revealed, including the REDUCTION in capacity from 76,000 to 65,000. –Incidentally, OVER HALF of those holding season tickets have been with the Dolphins for less 3 seasons or LESS!!–My guess is that most of the old geezers have either died off or lost interest –(Make that “3 seasons or less in prior sentence).

I hope they do the endzones the same way they did late in the season
    they looked really cool

93. Al in MIA says:

Randy,
    In Jimmy Johnson’s first year in Miami, Fins secondary was kinda where Miami’s is now if not worse. The strategy then against high powered offenses was to have the corners off the ball and to force everything underneath (bend but dont break) then inside the redzone, tighten up and play man tight (since the back of the endzone prevents a full run over the top). I know Coyle goes off ball much and maybe that’s something that needs to change in certain situations but to me the chances are better that a QB can’t deliver the ball properly (giving the DB margin of error in defense) with pressure up front than a DB making a play with QB having time to set and fire with a loose pocket.

94. Al in MIA says:

OD,
    Regarding the new seat selections, hopefully it’s not anything like the OB to SunLife change where people went from the 25 yardline lower bowl 20 rows up to the endzone 10 rows up (happened to my dad).

95. Al in MIA says:

Trypod,
    Yep, that last image you posted in Phase 1 of 2.
    They are prepping the lower bowl (removing all of it and changing the angle of the floor of the lower deck seats to reach more of the field). All the seats are going to be changed over as well in both upper/lower bowls.
    As for as the upper level goes, the gaps between the East/West/North/South seating areas is where the new jumbo tron screens will be placed. Those won’t be installed until after the 2015 season. The existing jumbo trons will be removed and the new roof will be installed as well after 2015.

96. Al in MIA says:

FFR,
    SI got it all wrong…need to show the backside not the front side! lol

Al,
    It sounds like you have studied our defense more closely than I have. What do you think was the problem with our defense…or maybe the major problems…because it’s usually not just one thing.

• Al in MIA says:

One of the DT spots (Starks spot), Wake not doing well in run situations. Nickel 3rd down personnel (the extra DB etc), vanilla schemes (where players stand presnap), Misi lacking pure MLB instincts (lacks a quick commitment to the hole on run plays), etc.

98. Al in MIA says:

Jahn,
    I know recruing class rankings aren’t anything to bank on but you must be happy with UCLA.

I used to prep the bowl with some fine weedage, and a minimum of seedage, although they did make it interesting when they popped . . .

• Brian in NY says:

I enjoyed when it popped when someone else was taking a hit.

True that, although I didn’t mind the popping much when it was me either. I always preferred using a pipe or carburetor, or something like that over rolling.

Mike E
    You asked about Holliman?
    I think he could be there in the 3rd
    Or take Chris Hackett in the 3rd or 4th

TCU has so many defensive draft propsects coming out

Hackett
      Dawson
      The other Kevin White
      And maybe even Chuck Hunter gets drafted

They have another OLB and S coming out too

OD

I forgot to mention
    Great job on your piece today

I tweeted a link to your story and it had a few retweets
    People Really like our great history

Legarret Blount is an ass

Lmao

106. jahndoh says:

Al,
    I’m on the road and super busy, so honestly I wasn’t following the college commits…but DAMN! Nice class Mora!

My only problem with the article was that while talking about Snoops son (from what everyone out west is saying the kid is awesome!) he referenced an Ice Cube song (Today was a good day), but didn’t give him the credit by saying “Another west coast rapper not named Snoop Dogg”.

Kinda bullshit, but that’s beside the point, GO Bruins!

44 Paul Dawson OLB 6 TCU Sr 6-2 230 2
    73 *Chris Hackett FS 2 TCU rJr 6-2 195 2-3
    91 Kevin White CB 11 TCU rSr 5-9 180 3
    199 Tayo Fabuluje OT 17 TCU rSr 6-7 353 6
    246 Chucky Hunter DT 22 TCU Sr 6-0 298 7
    287 Sam Carter SS 11 TCU rSr 6-0 216 7-FA

Frack there Grades!

Your score is: 4375 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 31 (SEA): Eric Kendricks, ILB/OLB, UCLA (B)
    Round 2 Pick 11 (CLE): Derron Smith, FS, Fresno State (B)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Jalen Collins, CB, LSU (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 31 (SEA): Tre’ Jackson, OG, Florida State (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Tony Lippett, WR, Michigan State (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 22 (ARI): Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M (B)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Joey Mbu, DT, Houston (B)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Tyler Varga, FB, Yale (B+)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Anthony Jefferson, SS, UCLA (C+)
    Round 7 Pick 15: Hayes Pullard, ILB, Southern California (B)

Well that’s a relief!
    I can Kill this blog too! 😉

Hey! I’m busy drafting dammit!

Your score is: 4593 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:
      Round 1 Pick 14: Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama (A)
      Round 2 Pick 15: Eli Harold, OLB, Virginia (A)
      Round 3 Pick 14: Gerod Holliman, FS, Louisville (A-)
      Round 4 Pick 15: Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M (A)
      Round 5 Pick 14: Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami (Fla.) (C+)
      Round 6 Pick 15: Karlos Williams, RB, Florida State (B)
      Round 7 Pick 15: Blake Bell, TE, Oklahoma (B)

Oh well, couldn’t get the DT’s I wanted. Who needs defense, anyway . . . . 😛

FLYING PIG; THANKS FOR RETWEETING and thank you for the nice comments. You’re a good man, Mr. Jordy!! Hoping you, too, can make it to the Fest this season!

Wyo – That draft game really underrates Ogbuehi, not sure why.

He is dropping everywhere I look!
      Not sure why?
      But I’ll take it!
      You know how OT’s are though! Always high on the boards!

Mike E
    I would take a couple of FS over Holliman
    Smith
    Prewitt
    Maybe Hackett

I liked the TCU D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I’m out
    Later Haters

MIKE E.;ALL of the mock Dolphin drafts I’ve seen on this site overlook Florida Atlantic’s DB D’Joun Smith, the best DB in Florida Atlantic history. I’m tellin you (and MF-13, among others) that if Smith’s still available in round 5, the Fins should take him in a heartbeat!! –This kid is a difference maker!! Plus, the Fins could use a little FAU positive karma to help them win close games. Howard Schnellenberger really likes Smith A LOT!!–That’s good enough for ME!!

OD – We might take a CB earlier, but it’s possible we can double up. Grimes is getting up there, and I’m not sure we have starter opposite him. Taylor and Davis are big ???? right now.

Unless we get a solid DB in FA, I think Miami needs to draft 2 defensive backs in the draft. Getting a bargain like Smith in round 5 would certainly be a feather in Do-Hickey’s hat! –HELL, I’d be OK if we took him in round 4.

Goodnight OD – Long day tomorrow. Catch ya tomorrow!

Just got back from walking the dogs. The predicted rain has just started. Supposed to last thru the morning before clearing up around noon. Highs near 70 and Lows in the 50’s the next several days, with mostly sunny skies beginning tomorrow afternoon. –Another “Positive Attitude Day” in Florida. –The Old Dolfan is out. Glad y’all liked Game 1 of ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!!

Your Picks:
    Round 2 Pick 9 (STL): Denzel Perryman, ILB/OLB, Miami (Fla.) (B-)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Marcus Peters, CB, Washington (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 29 (IND): Carl Davis, DT/DE, Iowa (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 32 (N.E.): Clive Walford, TE, Miami (Fla.) (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 8 (STL): Breshad Perriman, WR, UCF (B-)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Gerod Holliman, FS, Louisville (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 2 (N.E.): Geneo Grissom, OLB, Oklahoma (B)
    Round 4 Pick 7 (CHI): Laken Tomlinson, OG, Duke (A-)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Tyler Varga, FB, Yale (B+)
    Round 7 Pick 15: Chucky Hunter, DT, TCU (D+)

Piggs, One UCF draftee is not going to cut it go back and try again.
    Think Jacoby Glenn, Terrance Plummer, Clayton Geathers, Rannell Hall and Torrian Wilson. And of course JJ Wharton – obviously