Wedge Scouting Report: David Johnson

DavidJohnson3Wedge ID

I’ve travelled the universe and been to many of the largest galaxies known to aliens.  Giant galaxies with huge planets which pull hundreds of moons around themselves.  Eye opening to say the least.  To be honest though, some of the greatest treasures in the Universe can be found on the smallest parcel of land on the smallest star in the smallest galaxy.  Football isn’t much different.  Every once in a while a small school prospect stands out.  In this case, David Johnson of Northern Iowa.

DavidJohnson1

What’s the first thing Earthlings say when they look at a small school prospect?  Can he compete at the next level?  The disparity between his puny conference and the NFL is too great a leap.  Can he take the physicality of the NFL?  Well in Johnson’s case one of his best performances was against a big school in a big time conference.  Against Iowa, David Johnson had one of his best performances compiling over 230 total yards – most of them receiving yards when his team was trailing.

DavidJohnson2

If that stat isn’t a dead give away to this running back’s talents, let me make it clear to you.  He is an excellent receiving threat out of the backfield.  Most Dolfans can remember  watching Tony Nathan or Terry Kirby.  Well, maybe David Johnson is the next great receiving running back for the Dolphins!

DavidJohnson4

What is unique about Johnson is that not only is he a great receiving back, he is a big back.  The 6’3 225 lbs back had 17 TDs on the ground in 2014 for Northern Iowa.  That might be the perfect compliment to Lamar Miller.  A big back who can be an asset in the passing game and in the red zone.

DavidJohnson6

He was extremely productive in his four years at Northern Iowa.  Johnson was the second leading receiver on the team and had over 500 yards receiving in 2014.  He carried the ball 866 and rushed for almost 4900 yards in his college career.  I guess the coaches there knew what they had and used him a lot.

DavidJohnson5

Johnson had a pretty good combine, so people are really starting to notice him.  He ran the 40 yard dash in 4.50 and posted a vertical jump over 41 inches!  And I’m sure I dont have to say it, but he caught the ball well in the catching drills as well.  It’s not a surprise that some experts are comparing Johnson to last year’s premier receiving back in the draft, Charles Sims.  If I was going to compare Johnson to an Alien Weapon of Destruction, I would compare Johnson to the Puutonian Tractor Beam.  It catches everything!

DavidJohnsonBeam

Watch him in a action in this clip Earthlings!

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS. Bookmark the permalink.

316 Responses to Wedge Scouting Report: David Johnson

1. dbolt48 says:

Agree with the Sims comparison. I think Johnson is a little more shifty. I think my only concern with him at this time is when he was at the senior bowl when he’s met heading by a tackler his feet stop. He’s electric in the open field, but I’d like to see him keep his moving when he’s met by a tackler instead of going straight to the fetal position.

2. Try Pod says:

Good morning all. Anything happening? Seems kinda quiet around here.

It’s Saturday Trypod

I’m going to the keys today

Weeeeeeeee

Wow just saw the news about hartline and Gibson. If Wallace is also gone then I can easily see wr with 1st pick. Maybe Parker?

Nice report Piggy! I like DJ, but I won’t be surprised if we wait to pick up a RB later in the draft or see what’s available with the undrafted RB’s.

6. jetsssuck says:

Miami Gardens police chief Stephen E. Johnson was fired after being arrested Friday night for allegedly soliciting a prostitute in Dania Beach.

Wedge not only does a nice-write, he makes a great point. Especially with our O, I hope that any back we bring in is a good outlet option.

David Johnson is one of my favorites. I like him better than Gordon. Nice job Wedge.

It’s from La Confora, but interesting nonetheless. Hadn’t heard about the March 13 date before. If it is right, then if we are going to cut Wallace it will happen before then.
    ——————
    According to numerous general managers, the only name being actively shopped right now is Miami’s Mike Wallace, which comes as no surprise as the Dolphins were gauging interest in him and exploring trade possibilities a year ago as well, after Wallace’s first turbulent season with the club. Moving Wallace’s outsized contract ($12M/year) — $8.5M of his base salary becomes fully guaranteed on March 13 and no way is that going to happen in Miami — could prove to be impossible but the Dolphins are searching. Wallace might have a hard time getting half of his current average salary per season on the open market and I continue to hear he’s interested in a return to Pittsburgh, though it remains to be seen how the Steelers feel about that.

Stanger:
    I just had an argument with my son that made me think of you. We are supposed to go to some winter carnival tomorrow and my son is refusing to wear ski pants.

11. Silly Tim says:

Johnson measured in at 6-1 224, he’s a nice looking back but do you think we target a back in 2nd or 3rd round where he’s likely to go?

My guess is we’ll continue to develop Williams in that #2 role and sometimes 3rd down back as he showed very good receiving skills. Miller can also play on 3rd downs so we don’t necessarily need a specific 3rd down back.

To beat a dead horse but the fact that we seem so hell bent to get rid of Wallace to me means that whatever happened in that final game was pretty bad. Whether he pulled himself out or he was benched Wallace did something that pissed off a lot of people and caused the FO to lose confidence in him and make them believe he is not worth the money he is owed.

• Silly Tim says:

I think the quitting in the Jets game was the last straw. If the rumors are true that we tried to trade him a year ago then he’s been turning the team off for awhile now.

I think Mike Wallace the player is worth the money he would cost us versus the cap hit we’d take. The question is whether or not Mike Wallace the person is such a distraction to the team overall that he should be 86ed. Only the coaches can make that call.

Our remaining receiving corp is Jarvis Landry who appears to be a stud and Rishard Matthews who also ended the year in the dog house. It looks like the draft and FA will be focused on WRs

Which I am okay with. Great year for WRs in the draft. We can easily land either Kevin white, Amari Cooper or Devante Parker in round 1 and I would be happy as a Pig with wings – oh wait a minute. Ditto with Jalen Strong too.

Both the draft and FA are deep in wideouts. That might have played into the Hartline and Gibson (and maybe Wallace) decisions.

I would also love to get Randall Cobb in FA. I know he won’t be cheap but he seems like exactly the WR we need. Great in open space, can bust the 5 yrd pass into a 50 yard TD and has the speed to go deep.

• Silly Tim says:

Yep! We could move Landry and Cobb all over the place and if we add a big playmaking WR in the draft, you all of a sudden have some explosiveness along with Clay who I believe we will re-sign, and Miller in the backfield. That could be an explosive offense.

14. Silly Tim says:

I could see us targeting a guy like Karlos Williams in the 5th rd if we want to add another back. He’s known to be an excellent STs player.

15. Silly Tim says:

Ken, no doubt we weren’t happy with the lack of explosive plays at WR and Hartline and Gibson made too much money for their limited production.

Tim your 12:59 post is exactly the vision I have for our offense.

Me too. LOL

It doesn’t have to be Cobb who will be expensive and we may not want to go down that road again, but someone like him.

I just realized we have to update the wallpaper here. We have Brian Hartline featured prominently on the left hand side. Got to get the white out and take care of that. LOL.

Just occurred to me what I should have seen as the writing on the wall for Hartline. Tanny’s first two years when Tanny was in trouble Hartline was the guy he looked for. Numbers aside, that’s big. Last year it was Landry.

Landry has essentially taken Hartline’s role and I think he is better at it than Hartline was especially in terms of redzone production. With that I am out. Peace.

• Silly Tim says:

I think it’s about wanting to add more explosive plays and Hartline and Gibson weren’t good enough for what they were being paid, and we wanted to upgrade anyway.

Landry is a big part of our ball control offense. Tanny gets mocked by silly people for throwing a lot of short passes but that’s the offense. Landry gets targeted inside 5 yards a lot because he catches everything hoping to pick up YAC to compliment the running game. Then off of that we try to set up longer passing plays. That’s the idea of the spread offense. It’s what Brady has been doing for over a decade.

Alright I have to go help my son build a battleaxe. Then we are off to rape and pillage the neighboring towns… Or would you believe it is for his ancient Egypt civilization class and he is a doing his report on Egyptian weaponry.

Tim — I get what you mean by better YAC guys…..Hartline was never that guy. At the same time it does worry me that Hartline won’t have guys he is comfortable with other than Landry. But maybe that is a sign that the staff has full confidence in Tanny now and think the game has slowed down enough for him that they can plug in whoever and he will adjust to them quickly.

• Silly Tim says:

Landry, Wallace and Clay were the go-to-guys. Then Hartline and Miller.

If we move Wallace, I see us signing a WR who we feel is a good fit in this offense at a middle of the road contract, and then target one of the big WRs in the draft. Then we have Matthews and maybe Hazel pushing him.

Might be we end up with what I thought was the point when they brought this West Coast in. Three guys who can do all the routes, including the fly. So know there would not be that top end burner, but on any given play one could be going deep…..and that is the over the top threat.

21. Silly Tim says:

Stanger, what we’re seeing is Hickey, Philbin and Lazor revamping what Ireland did in 2013. He signed Wallace, Hartline and Gibson to a lot of money and the current regime wasn’t thrilled with that.

Philbin and Ireland were supposedly partners in 2013 though. And I believe he had a lot of say. So don’t think it is pure Ireland versus the others, even if Hickey and Lazor might want something different..

I am coming around to the idea of the revamping, Especially at the price we were paying, VS the production..And Stanger i believe you will be right on the hue of our WR corps, not that i have any issues with that..

i did not think Landry was much of a YAC guy, but 463 of his 758 yds last year were YAC.. so he did actually put up some decent yards..

Think Landry is the prototype. Lets get two more in.

How you doing Toba……was just in the chilly north and am still shivering.

• manitobafinfan says:

We are doing well my friend, yes it is still quite chilly here but another 6 months and we should see a warmer day .. LOL.. where were ya ??

Finally made it to the keys

Weeeeeeeee

25. Silly Tim says:

Stanger, what I think happened was Philbin didn’t think he was getting value from what we spent. Not saying he wasn’t on board in 2013, just that it wasn’t what he was expecting. Hickey probably didn’t like the contracts and Lazor may have said we can do better. Philbin agreed and the revamping has begun.

• manitobafinfan says:

That sounds like a very likely scenario… as i said the more ithink about “the Purge” the better i am with it.. not that that really matters, lol

• Silly Tim says:

I said all season we don’t make enough big plays and I didn’t just mean the deep ball, which is something I would like to see improve. I meant receivers making more plays after the catch. It seems that the org feels the same way.

Manitoba

What that really shows about Landry is that he’s catching a lot of really short passes. I think that’s his bread and butter. He doesn’t have the speed to get open downfield, but he has good agility and short area quickness that makes him a very good slot receiver. If we moved him outside, he wouldn’t be as productive IMO.

• Silly Tim says:

I think he can do some perimeter stuff on the sidelines because he attacks the ball, has great hands and a good feel for where he is. He’s not going to blow the top off a defense, but I’d like to see him eat a little more in the 15-20 range. I’d also like to see him get that 9.0 YPCA up into the 12 range.

• manitobafinfan says:

Agree.. he is not a Burner.. but could still do a fair bit of damage on the outside, he has the “I am Gonna Catch that Ball” attitude that Wallace seems to be missing.. But i do see him staying on the Inside, Hopefully with Clay ..

I’m not saying he can’t play on the outside, but he would be challenged more on the perimeter than he is now in the slot against teams 3rd best CB.

Landry did a lot of perimeter stuff at LSU

I don’t think his speed is a factor
    He’ll be fine as perimeter or outside guy

We just didn’t use him that way

I would like a big and speedy WR in the draft

A combine of parker/diggs or Strong/Dorset

Something like that

Take a WR in the first and use a later pick for the speedy guy

Work on D in other rounds

Hopefully we address OL via great agency with the $ we saved

And maybe we get a day 3 RB

I still want Iupati

Mike E: i think Landry would do a good job in the challenged/contested balls.. he is good going up and seems to have a strong grip once he gets his hands on .. he is a beast in the middle though.. i guess we wsee what we come up with in FA/draft and whether they keep Wallace or not.. not that he puts up a fight for contested balls..

OK, but you don’t want to throw every pass on the perimeter where it’s going to be challenged. I think he would have a lot of trouble getting separation on the outside. Throw a ball that you hope he gets and doesn’t on the outside and it could be a pick 6

Piggy

You know what happened in college doesn’t translate to the NFL. Landry is better suited for the slot.

• Silly Tim says:

Landry made some plays on the outside last year. Yes he feasts on the inside but he did make plays outside last year too.

30. Silly Tim says:

I was thinking today about Rex Ryan in BUF and with that defensive front he’s going to have a lot of fun. The Jets had a pretty good defensive front, the Bills are the best in the league. That said, we better be focused on upgrading the OL. A lot of us want some impact skills players on either side of the ball, but we better get better up front on offense or we’ll see more of the same in 2015.

Toba — was in Park City…….drg’s hood. Tried to hook up with him, but unfortunately didn’t work out.

Pig — where in the Keys are you?

33. Silly Tim says:

This is my top 14 without some prospects at positions I don’t think we can use a 1st on, like QB, RB and a pure OT. I have OTs who could be guards or flex on the list though. Some of these guys might be a little high for #14, but maybe a trade down for a few of them. These are guys I think could help us.

1. DT Leonard Williams
    11. DT Eddie Goldman
    12. LB Shaq Thompson
    13. LB Eric Kendricks
    14. CB Trae Waynes

RIP Anthony Mason.

• Silly Tim says:

Yeah man, that’s really sad. I was into the NBA with the Knicks back in those days. The battles with the Bulls and Pacers was good stuff.

Do you know about the relationship with Anthony Mason and Jay Fiedler’s family?

35. rgs322 says:

Even with the releases of Gibson and Hartline, I’m still looking at WR in the 2nd/3rd round.

My top 5 guys in the first are…
    1. Danny Shelton-DT
    2. Brandon Scherff -OG/OT
    3. La’el Collins-OG/OT
    4. Malcom Brown-DT
    5. Trae Waynes-CB

My 3 wrs in the 2nd/3rd are…

1. Nelson Agholor
    2. Phillip Dorsett
    3. Justin Hardy

• Silly Tim says:

We’re on the same age but Nelson Agholor is too much like Jarvis Landry. I’d rather get some size or crazy speed.

I like Hardy as a pure WR and Dorsett has Cobb type skills.

I also feel Cameron Erving in the 2nd would be a good pick. He has experience at OT and C and could probably play G.

• rgs322 says:

I definitely like Erving’s versatility. …Erving or Tomlinson would be plan B at the OG position. Of course, that could all change if we pick up a OG like Boling in FA.

Guess crime don’t pay after all.

37. Silly Tim says:

Here’s a 3 round mock for you.
    1. WR DeVante Parker (big playmaking WR)
    2. LB Denzel Perryman (possible trade down adding a 4th or 5th)
    3. G Ali Marpet (good ZBS prospect)

I am in key west Stanger

And I’m ready for a nap now

• Brian in NY says:

Have a great time Piggy. Nice to get out of the cold!

Awesome Pig. What a funky and cool place to be. You get to hang out with all the aging hippies…….and boy do they know how to party. Take and post a pic from in front of the smallest bar in the world.

Josh McCown’s three-year deal with the Browns contains $6.25 million guaranteed.
    McCown can earn up to $20 million based on incentives. His entire first-year salary ($5.25M) along with an additional $1 million is guaranteed. It makes McCown the favorite to start Week 1. The Browns can move on from McCown without any major salary-cap issues after 2015.
    ______________________________
    WOW, so glad I was never a Browns fan….and now we can wipe Cleveland off the list for Matt Moore.

40. Silly Tim says:

Brian, I’ve asked you a few times, how was your vacation?

I wouldn’t be surprised if we flipped 2 and 3. I think 45-50 prospects could go 1st round. It all depends on team conviction. The 2nd round will be somewhat deep. There is a drop-off in the 4th round on. But there will always be sleepers.

Not much different than any other draft. LOL

41. Silly Tim says:

Piggy goes to Key West and naps. What a party animal. LOL

42. dbolt48 says:

Quick correction….Agholor has really good speed. Can attack every level of the defense. Not a Landry clone. Landry is a better route runnER and catches the ball better, but Agholor can score from anywhere on the field. They are both good at RAC and Agholor can still compliment Landry just fine👍

Here’s a 3 round mock for you.
    1. WR DeVante Parker (big playmaking WR)
    2. LB Denzel Perryman (possible trade down adding a 4th or 5th)
    3. G Ali Marpet (good ZBS prospect)

I would be happy with this draft

It would be nice to get another WR and DB in the 4th and 5th rounds
    Or maybe another LB

I think we need to sign an OG in FA

(Piggy burps)
    Good drinks in Key West

44. CaliGigi says:

Met Larry Csonka….so awesome!!! =)

F’n Gigi goes to Cali and meets Larry Czonka. WTF!

Couldn’t meet him in FLA? lol

• jetsssuck says:

His name is spelled Csonka and he lives in Alaska. I have a cousin who lives there and he sent me pictures of a bear looking in the back sliding glass doors.

46. Try Pod says:

So, you’re silly if you point out Tannehill throws a lot of short passes. Are you likewise silly if you point out Rush Limbaugh is right wing? Hmm. Tanneshills.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong or negative about about being a slot receiver. Does anyone here think less of Wes Welker because he’s a slot receiver? He was a terror in the middle of the field, and that’s what I expect from Landry. It’s not belittling him in any way, it’s just the position that I believe he can use his his skills best. Around the red zone, he can be outside, because the middle is so congested there, and his physical ability to go up and get the ball makes him more valuable, but between the 20’s, Landry should mostly be in the slot.

• Try Pod says:

Someone thinks it’s negative to refer to a receiver as a “slot receiver”? I don’t understand how that could be considered demeaning- then again, I don’t know the context, so…

I only say that because every time I say Landry is better suited for the slot, people always say he can play outside. He can, but he’s better in the slot, so between the 20’s, why bother?

I still wish Melo was on another team. We would have been far better off. When he opted out of his contract, I thought we finally got rid of him. But nooooooooooo, we gave him an even BIGGER contract. If Donnie Walsh was still with the Knicks, he would’ve slammed that door shut so fast Carmelo would’ve been smacked to the West Coast.

Your score is: 6159 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 14: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia (A)
    Round 2 Pick 9 (STL): Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami (Fla.) (A)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Gerod Holliman, FS, Louisville (A)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Lorenzo Doss, CB, Tulane (A)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Jordan Hicks, OLB, Texas (A)

Trade up to get Ereck Flowers in the 2nd RD, gave up a 4th and 6th RD pick to move from pick #47 to #41. I wouldn’t have a problem with something like that. Flowers would be great insurance if Albert isn’t ready to go, and could be a powerful G if he is.

• Try Pod says:

I like the idea of getting a wide receiver at the top of the draft, but we need line help to help Tannehill get the most out of his ability, so get what we need first. I also understand there are more solid receivers than lineman this year, no?

• Try Pod says:

Linemen

Try — for me really depends on what happens with Wallace, but even if he goes we might even pick up a couple starting level wideouts in FA.

• Try Pod says:

Stanger,
        I guess I’m trying to say go for best available need, if that clarifies it. I think we need line help more than receiver, but I can understand if value dictates going receiver first.

I could just see the Ross brothers, Stephen and RIck, hanging out together in the owners’ box during games.

50. Try Pod says:

Piggy,
    I see your in the Keys. I hope you’re having a blast. My wife and I will try to get down there this year and some point, though with her working on a master’s, finding time might be impossible.

Isn’t Randall Cobb an FA?

PIGGY; Yet another outstanding analysis! —I’m SOLD on this guy IF he’s still around in the last half of the draft. ALSO, the ONLY sensible thing to do during extended periods of bad weather in the north is to GO TO FLORIDA!!!!! -I’m guessing the weather’s pretty nice in Key West. –Yesterday, we had a rare all-day rain in February in Tampa (close to 3 inches of rain at TIA). –But today’s better. Right now it’s 72 and the sun has come out from hiding. Good day for a little yard work in the afternoon. Gotta enjoy these weekends at home because half the time I’m on the road during weekends.
    ——————–
    I TOTALLY SUPPORT the cutting of Hartline and Gibson. I’m hoping more cuts are in the near future. I’d REALLY like to see the Dolphins use some of that space to sign Clay. He’s a real gamer who performs AND plays hurt if he possibly can.

February 28, 2015 at 1:54 pm (Edit)
    LOL — it is what it is…….bet you there ain’t a white wideout on the team next year.

I tend to agree but if there is one his name will be JJ Wharton (UCF) and we will get him with a 7th or more likely as a FA pickup and he’ll win a position because of his ST play.

OD, I think it rained across the entire state yesterday, we had rain here in Central Fl all day and the PGA tourny in Palm Beach was delayed because of rain. If you line up those dots the rain rain “triangulated” the entire southern portion of the state.

Stanger, I hope you had a great trip and are thawed out by now. Too bad you didn’t see the good Dr.

Had a real nice trip…..even if it made me feel real old. Can’t do the big bump trails like I used to. The skills are still there, but the body too fragile. I fall and I hurt myself….and at least I can’t do the big ‘uns without falling.

Try Pod says:
    March 1, 2015 at 10:05 am (Edit)
    Stanger,
    __________________________________________
    With Hartline, Gibson and Wallace likely gone and only Landry and Matthews returning then WR is probably a bigger need than WR. Also our OL needs are more in the interior of the line which is something you can get high value on in rounds 2 and 3. I want OL help badly but I think with the strength of this draft being at WR and with our needs at WR we need to draft an WR early. We have a real shot to get an elite talent at WR at 14 and we should not pass that up.

Just went to a winter carnival at Lyman Orchards this morning. Pretty disappointing. No snow tubing this year. The horse drawn sleigh rides were cancelled because the snow was too deep. But they did have maple glazed bacon donuts. Oh man worth the trip for that.

The truth is all three UCF receivers who are in the draft could help us. Of course Perriman is the most obvious with a great combination of size and speed. Rannell Hall is a shifty mid size built , great hands, finds a hole to sneak through, gets tough yards even over the middle, may need a little time to adjust to the league kinda guy and then there is JJ Wharton who will help a team on ST and as a viable, reliable back up who is capable of making clutch catches.

Stanger, skiing is a young mans sport for sure unless you do it all the time. Glad you had a good time.

You can still do it — you just have to do it like the old guys you used to laugh at for not having the balls to hit the real trails. 🙂

In golf when you get old it’s called “laying up” instead of blasting one into the green.

Snowing here in Connecticut yet again. When is winter going to end? Supposed to get another 6″ today.

Sounds like you guys are heading for record snow fall numbers this year, I don’t ever remember that much snow up there.

I think the winter of 2010-11 was worse. There was a number of big storms back to back that year. That was the year everyone was worried about their roofs collapsing. We are approaching that now but not quite as bad. 2013 had the blizzard that dumped 37″ of snow in 1 storm but there was not as many storms that year. It is definitely worse than when we were young.

Ken — imagine if those two storms that had you in the crosshairs hadn’t dumped on the Pats fans instead.

Alright. Gotta run for now. BBL. Peace.

KEN; Hope you and several other northern Dolphin fans can break free and spend a few days in F-L-A this month. Spring training begins about Thursday for most Florida-based teams. –Temps in the upper 70’s are just around the corner (or already here) – – a bonus for girl watchers who love to strut their stuff!! The beaches, beach side shops and restaurants are beckoning. And be sure to bring your sun tan lotion!
    —————-
    PIGGY, do you have your hat on today??? – – Don’t need another appearance of “Mr. Bacon Head,” do we???

Well my daughters are sad that Hartline is gone, me I’m fine. He was a good Fin while here but he was never going to be one of the leagues scary tough receivers. I remember too many times him catching the ball and the first thing to hit him was the ground. We need big plays and tough players to make those plays.

64. Silly Tim says:

I had a dream last night that Landry made a huge play lining up outside.

65. Silly Tim says:

Try, I said: “Tanny gets mocked by silly people for throwing a lot of short passes but that’s the offense.”

That’s different than just saying it’s silly to say he does.

• Try Pod says:

I don’t see the difference, but ok. It’s still true, whether you use the word “mocked” or not.

• Silly Tim says:

But he shouldn’t be mocked for it. That’s the offense. Brady does the same thing and nobody brings it up. All you have to do is watch some Tannehill highlights to erase the idea that he can’t push the ball down the field. He’s just not a mad bomber.

• Try Pod says:

He’s mocked (by a few, occasionally), because he has the worst completion percentage on passes over 20 yards.

Keep cutting mofo’s Hickey you almost have enough cap space for Suh And Iupati !!!!!!

Then draft a big stud wideout, Perryman and a speedy wideout. You’ll have left Philbin with no excuses!

67. Silly Tim says:

Wow that hot badass Rhonda Rousey won her fight last night in 14 seconds.

I know you go talent at pick 14, but given our needs and barring a trade down……I think it has to be WR, DT or LB.

I know about Shelton and the wideouts, but is there an LB worthy of the pick likely to be there?

• Silly Tim says:

I don’t think LB is best value at #14. I think the LB class is more 2nd round, unless you’re talking about edge rusher type LBs which is not something we need.

Stanger, I don’t see a LB at 14, unless it’s an OLB pass rusher, that would be a value pick. Our biggest bang for the buck would be a WR or DT, I think. It’s just me but if somehow Dante Fowler Jr. (DE, OLB) fell to 14 I would snag him without hesitation, maybe the same with Beasly.

• Silly Tim says:

Then you have a crowed house with Wake, Vernon, Jordan and McCain. There is no guarantee Jordan or McCain can play classic 4-3 OLB.

I think it’s WR, DT or OL for us at #14.

I like the kid Kendricks but I’d feel a bit uneasy taking him at #14 being that he’s only 6-0 230. People compare him to a smallish MLB like Zach, but we got him in the 5th and he turned out to be a gem. You don’t want to take guys with questions high in the draft.

I like Denzel Perryman at 47 a lot, I love his game, I love that he’s a Cane and I like how he’d fit our D.

Thanks Son and Tim — sounds like if Shelton gets snagged before us we are going to have one happy Pig (with a happy stanger coming with a trade down).

72. Silly Tim says:

Stanger, there are a couple of OT prospects that are also considered guys who could be top guards. That would provide us dept at tackle and a possible starting guard. Scherff and Collins fit that bill.

Guess it depends on how Albert is recovering, but he is locked in for two-years and James has at least three on his rookie contract. Seems a luxury unless Albert can’t come back.

73. Silly Tim says:

Try, this says Tannehill is not the worst.

Tim, I wouldn’t even worry about a perceived log jam if I could add Fowler. If you say you’re a BPA guy then you have to live by it and at 14 Fowler without question would be the best player available. Wake isn’t getting younger, Shelby is easily replaced by Fowler and Vernon will be looking for a big contract soon. Fowler is one of those guys who can and has moved around a lot pre snap (inside/out – outside/in) its the type of versatility we’ve seen the team go and get quite often.
    Anyway, there is no way Fowler is there at 14… But give me DGB before a G or DB at 14.

I like the scenarios for our top 3 picks going Defense although I know we’d be better served in getting WR early.
    Shelton, Perryman, Darby would be incredible to add to our D from picks 1-3.

If so, there should be at least one starting WR coming in FA. And we may be busier than you would think. Dawn has a way of making those first year contracts cheap.

Exactly, even if they got a high priced player say at 5yr/50 mill guaranteed the cap hit wouldn’t 10 mill, it would be more like 3 or 4.

With the exception of Cobbs I wouldn’t want to look to add receivers through FA. It just hasn’t paid off. The last three Marshall, Gibson – Gone with Wallace having one foot out the door and the other on a banana peel.
    Draft them and develop them.
    I’m interested to see Hazel and if he can contribute but this is a great class to be drafting and adding to the group.

Son

I don’t think Shelton makes it to 14
    But of he did
    And we took him and Perryman in the 2nd
    Then our run D would be 10x better

Son, right on bro with the give me DGB @ #14 before a G or DB!!!!

May our Canahttp://media.tumblr.com/c16c357aa1556f044e7224b80cad65bd/tumblr_inline_mm6ns1YD6d1qz4rgp.jpgdian friends live long and prosper.

2nd try

81. Silly Tim says:

DGB is a high risk/reward prospect at #14.

82. Silly Tim says:

DT Malcom Brown 6-2 320 would be a good pick. Good run defender and has some penetration skills.

Yeah I think he would be a good pick

I would prefer Shelton
      But brown is a good player

• Silly Tim says:

He’s also married with two kids, a family man and does work with a cancer org. He’s a very mature kid coming out of college. Low to no off the field concerns with him.

Good thing Rob isn’t around or he be all over his penetration skills.

Pig — you hitting the sunset?

I’m so glad I got aloud of that northeasts weather for a week

• Silly Tim says:

Good timing, it will probably start getting nicer when you get back. High 30s and 40s instead of teens and 20s.

Since Hartline is gone, who is going to take his spot? Do we move Landry there, I wouldn’t think so? How about Matthews, can he play on the edge? Or do we have to pick up someone in FA/Draft?

• Silly Tim says:

I’d say both FA and the draft with Matthews competing with Hazel and other long shots on the roster for a spot and playing time.

What do you think of Stevie Johnson, SF is set to release him?

Sounds like you think the team may like what’s already in house, but did it have anything to do with the Hartline release, or did he get released to save money?

Trust me, it was just a dream . . . . 😉

87. Silly Tim says:

Steve, not necessarily about the team liking what they have in-house. I’m not sure how they’re going to do it, but I think we add two new WRs that will be part of the game day WR unit. I think Matthews, Hazel and other young guys will get a chance to compete, but I wouldn’t pencil any of them in yet.

Looks like another 2-3″ of snow, but it’s still not as bad as last years big storms. The thing that I’ve really had enough of is the cold temps. It’s been at 20 degrees or lower way too often this winter.

• Silly Tim says:

Yep, we already got 2-3 and it’s still coming down. My daughter and I got a head start and cleared the cars off and shoveled about a half hour ago.

Man I have had enough snow. Coming down hard here in Connecticut now.

I think we bring in at least 3 WRs between FA and the draft this off season.

I think that’s a given, especially if Wallace is cut. We would only have 2, Landry and Matthews.

Well there is always Hazel but he never made it off the practice squad. Also Matthews finished the year as a disciplinary sit down as well. So We are essentially rebuilding the entire WR corp this off season.

Who else gets cut before FA starts. I don’t think we are done yet with cuts.

92. Silly Tim says:

It already dropped another inch on top of what we just shoveled and it’s coming down pretty good. I hope it stops soon.

93. Silly Tim says:

Starks and Wheeler could also be released but I wouldn’t be surprised if we kept either one more year.

Starks I think stays because I think we let Odrick walk. Wheeler stays because I think we let Ellerbee go.

• Silly Tim says:

That’s my thinking. Wheeler would also be a $4.2M cap hit. However, we would save $5M releasing Starks and take only a $1M cap hit.

That makes Starks pretty vulnerable but I think Odrick will want too much money (and is not worth it) and Starks is better than Odrick imo.

94. Silly Tim says:

I went back and looked at Hazel’s profile from when he was a prospect this time last year. Man the pros and cons really can contradict each other. LOL

95. Silly Tim says:

Ken, rumors are Odrick is seeking $8M per. No fucking way! He’s a solid DL, but let’s not get crazy there Jared. LOL

I can’t see that. I just don’t think his production warrants that level of pay. I don’t get it.

We may as well go after Suh for that kind of money

Really. I mean that is elite DT money and I just don’t see an elite DT when I watch Odrick. Maybe I am overly critical of him but he is not an 8 mil per season player

I think Wheeler will stick, his cap saving don’t make much sense.

97. Silly Tim says:

Releasing these players will free up cap for sure – $16.125M
    Ellerbe: $5.65/$4.2M cap hit
    Finnegan: $5.475/$1M cap hit
    Starks: $5M/$1M cap hit

Gotta run. Wife is calling. Peace to you all.

Odrick isn’t getting $8M per, either as a DT or 3-4 DE. Certainly not here, anyway. I suppose you never know.

No WR free agents

Cobb is overrated anyway
    And he will be overpaid wherever he goes

101. Silly Tim says:

Suh is going to be looking for BIG money, like close to 6-7 years $100M. The Lions have also said they’re not letting him get away.

They won’t franchise him
      So they need to sign him fast

I feel bad for the team that gives him 15m a year

• Silly Tim says:

They made it clear to other teams, you’re not getting him and they will franchise him if they can’t sign him long-term. Suh has told people close to him he’s done in Detroit so unless they pay him top dollar and he accepts a long deal for big money, they’ll keep him around with the franchise tag. That’s their only leverage.

Piggy – I agree no big name WR FA’s. Let’s just draft what we need. No overpaying for FA WR’s.

Elite WRs don’t hit the market
      Cobb is not an upper tier receiver this league
      Landry is probably better

We can draft our own cobbs

• Silly Tim says:

I lean the way of no big time FA WRs too. In fact I’d prefer to go solid across the board with proven players but not ‘elite’ players. Try to find those in the draft.

103. Silly Tim says:

Target another Gibson type 3 years $11M, preferably more size and/or speed (Crabtree), and re-sign Clay to his market, and you helped the team without going bonkers over spending. Clay is a proven playmaker. Then draft a quality WR you expect to be part of the offense, not a project.

104. jetsssuck says:

i say pick up starter for OL in FA then in draft draft OL again in 1st then receiver in second.Now if the defensive player of DE/OLB is there then we have to give the defense a impact

Agree on an FA OL……and I’d go big on that. Talking Franklin or Iupati. After we free up cap room, add in a solid starting WR as well. Then in the first grab a WR or DT and fill in the one you didn’t take in the 2nd or 3rd with an ILB in the other round. We got enough on roster to fill the other G spot.

GOOD NEWS FROM BOCA RATON: FAU won both ends of today’s double header against Monmouth University (of New Jersey) by scores of 11-0 and 9-0. FAU totalled 29 runs in sweeping the 3-game series, upping their record to 9-2. After playing 2 games against North Florida early this week, the Owls will take on another New Jersey school, Rutgers, in a 3-game series.

No way I want Crabtree on this team.

Think there is no way they go from Wallace to Crabtree……and don’t even think about both.

How was the cruise? And what stops? With your brood I’m thinking Mickey Mouse may have been involved.

• Brian in NY says:

Lol! Not this time with Mickey, but definitely in the future! We took the NCL Breakaway out of NYC. Weather sucked, but we had a great time in spite of it. How was Park City?

• Silly Tim says:

Not saying Crabtree replaces Wallace, he replaces Hartline/Gibson. I’m still considering Wallace on the other side and Landry inside until we know otherwise. Then we draft a WR we expect to play, preferably a big WR who can make plays, not just a keep the chains moving guy.

If we release Wallace, we’ll draft two WRs.

Oddly my weather sucked too. Been one of the worst Rocky winters in years……but I was still hitting the slopes for the first time in over a decade, and was pleased.

So take it you made it down to the Bahamas?

Also, the Lions won’t be tagging Suh unless they are POSITVE they can parlay that into a long term deal. His tag number is over $26 million.

• Silly Tim says:

Just going by what the Lions said. The CBA really messed the system up. It’s crazy.

Why are you so down on Crabtree as a middle of the road WR?

• Brian in NY says:

I don’t know if you remember me talking about it, but my brother is a Noner seasson ticket holder. Crabtree is a bit of a diva. Remember he held out 6 or 8 game in his rookie season becasue of contract demands. I just don’t think he’s even close to worth it.

• Brian in NY says:

Niner season

108. Silly Tim says:

I think we will sign a guard in FA but not the top guy. We’ll find a ZBS fit who has some experience and proven ability. The same at DT. That at least fortifies the lines a little bit. I think we do the same at WR and DB, maybe even LB. I can see Turner, Thomas, Smith, Johnson, Francis, Tripp, Taylor and Aikens definitely in the mix to start this year, or play significantly.

So the draft may not have to be as dire need as we think. Follow your board and take the BPAs at need who rank properly.

• Brian in NY says:

I’m fine with that. We have three former first round picks on the OL, and two are making big money. You can have the cream of the crop at every position. It’s really important that Turner develops into a dependable starter next season, and we get a good OL in FA or the 2nd or 3rd round (Marpet?) as well.

I hope for GDP’s sake it’s Clint Boling. He actually does seem like a good fit here.

Crabtree is not going to be happy being the #3 WR.

• Silly Tim says:

He would be one of 3 in our 3 WR spread offense.

Wallace/Rookie
      Landry
      Crabtree

I’m not signing him to big time money like he’s our savior. In his 7th season I consider him a good option as a possession guy on the outside.

Brian

Thanks for reminding everyone about Crabtree

He definitively has a diva rep
    And he is not a lockerroom leader or notable hard worker

We want to get rid of some one like Wallace and bring in some one like Crabtree
    Well that makes as much sense as getting rid of Marshall and then bring in Wallace

Crabtree had on field issues with Vernon Davis when the 49ers were coached by harbaugh

And in terms of his play
    He really doesn’t do anything exceptionally well and just completely disappears for games

I don’t real care much for Crabtree

Stanger,

One stop in Port Canaveral- went on an airboat ride, my son held a baby alligator and an albino python, and I held a Capuchin monkey. We had to skip one stop in the Bahamas because the tenders weren’t going to be able to dock as a result of the waves. We spent an extra half day in Nassau, which would have been great if not for the driving rain/wind on the first day, and the high winds the second. They said it was the coldest it’s been there in ten years this time of year.

Glad you had a good time despite the weather. Capuchins are those little guys that are always in movies, right?

Just in case you missed that it was the scene of a now infamous crime — I got married in Nassau. And after the wedding won the dance contest at Senior Frogs (but believe me that was more comedy than skill).

Sounds like a good trip though. My advice would be to hit a plane next time. Even better to catch a cruise out of San Juan. Even out of FL it’s two days to hit a real stop. Every day out of Puerto Rico and you don’t have to hit the rocky part going over the Gulfstream/Northern current border.

• Brian in NY says:

Lol! I remember that now! The no flying thing with three kids was very appealing. We probably wouldn’t have made it out Saturday AM with the weather we had too. You are right though- the ship was rocking pretty good the first few nights. The outdoor decks were closed for the first two days becasue of the winds.

Jake Fisher OT Oregon is a guy I’d be interested in for our team. Not sure if he’s a 2nd or 3rd RD pick, but he moves very well. Former TE with good size 6’6″ 306.

Bri

Do you mean if the ship is a rockin’ don’t come a knockin’?

114. Silly Tim says:

Brian, okay a WR with Crabtree’s skills as a vet to keep the WR core from being too green at a solid cost. LOL

• Brian in NY says:

Honestly, I’d rather re-sign Hartline at a lower price if he’s willing. Proceed with caution regarding Crabtree…

Like Hartline. And lots of WRs on the market in the draft. Would easily take him back at a lower price.

Mike,

I feel like that every year; we have so many needs and not enough picks. Except for the year we did and Ireland traded them all away.

That was both infuriating and exciting at the same time. I had such high hopes for Jordan, and we turned that into a big pile of dino droppings.

I don’t want Crabtree. Not at all, and I especially don’t want to pay free market price for him

Your score is: 5711 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 14: Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami (Fla.) (B)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma (A)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson (B+)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss (A)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina (A)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Karlos Williams, RB, Florida State (A-)
    Round 7 Pick 15: Derrick Lott, DT, Chattanooga (A)

Cooper, White and Parker were all gone at #14

I’m really hoping we get Kevin White. I think he would be Tannehill’s bestest friend ever. He could help this offense take a step forward.

• Brian in NY says:

Me too Mike. I heard Ereck Flowers interviewed on the local ESPN radio show (no-names, but they oddly pull some big time guests) and he is about as humble a person as you can be.

There are so many ways we can help our team, but we must get some impact players, and I think Kevin White is going to be a serious impact player.

• Brian in NY says:

But you know what’s going to happen: he’ll be on the board at 14, and we’ll pick an OL.

That could be an exciting duo to watch.

Anyone here watch the series Black Sails?

The Dolphins have “internally discussed” free agent CBs Brandon Flowers and Kareem Jackson.
    Both Flowers and Jackson serve as outside corners in their base defense and can cover the slot in sub-packages. So it may be telling that these two types of corners are on the Dolphins’ radar. Miami is expected to cut Cortland Finnegan soon, and will be a player on the free agent cornerback market.
    _________________________________
    WOW, this is surprising. I think I’d pass on both of these guys. Besides costing too much, both are smallish like Grimes. I want a bigger CB. They do have some flexibility, but I rather see the money spent in the trenches 1st.

Smallish CBs are fine in a zone scheme

They aren’t playing man

Some of my favorite CBs of the draft are smallish

Kevin White would be my dream pick

I would love it if out offseason went a little like this
    Sign Iupati
    Sign a vet DT

1 Kevin White/Jaelen Strong
    2 Denzel Perryman
    3 Ifo, Sequez or some other DB even a S
    4 another LB or WR
    5 another LB or WR whichever we don’t take in 4th
    The LB would be an OLB and the WR would be a speed guy like Dorsett or Diggs
    6 RB
    7 maybe another DB?

I would prefer we use our cap space to get reliable OL and DL and try to find some you playmakers in the draft – difference makers

122. Silly Tim says:

I don’t get why everyone is so down on Crabtree. He has scored one less TD than Hartline and Gibson combined during the same time span and he would replace both of them at half the cost. Landry replaced Gibson and took away targets from Hartline. So did Clay. I don’t see Crabtree getting big money on the open market. But fine if everyone here thinks he’s a cancer, give me another name.

If we need to sign Crabtree, it’s not to replace Hartline or Gibson it’s to replace Wallace

And Wallace is a better WR than Crabtree

Crabtree has underwhelmed his whole career
      I don’t want to get any WR in free agency

We should get playmakers via the draft and spend money in free agency and reliable vets to dominate up front

I think that is a much more successful formula then using free agency to go after playmakers.

Crabtree couldn’t do anything until the Niners got Boldin. Even when they did get Boldin, Boldin was almost always the first target, and Boldin is old now.

• Silly Tim says:

Why would he replace Wallace, he’s not the same player? He’s more like Hartline and Gibson in the possession world. I keep hearing you guys says that and I don’t get it. Sign him to man one outside spot, and if we move Wallace the rookie big WR replaces him. Not sure why you guys keep turning this around. Crabtree does not replace Wallace. LOL

Tim, I mentioned Eddie Royal, Hakeem Nicks, & Cecil Shorts the other day.

They could give us good vet leadership, good play & not break the bank like Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, or even Cobb.

I like Black Sails. It’s taking a little long to develop, but I still enjoy it.

125. Silly Tim says:

March 1, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Not true. Go look at the numbers. He had his best years before Boldin, by a lot.

I thought Boldin was there in ’12, it was ’13. Either way, an old Boldin is better than Crabtree. Crabtree is soft, and I never liked his game.

I forgot to mention Leonard Hankerson, he’s just 26, has had poor QB play. He still intrigues me. A lot of guys here liked him out of Miami back when he was drafted by the Skins.
    He’s 6’2 211 & could definitely replace Hartline….IMO.

It’s not a question of who the player is

We really don’t need to use free agency to bring in WRs unless we part ways with Wallace

We can draft a WR

I just hate the idea of shedding salary on our vet WRs just to spend it all over again

Gibson was decent in the system
    Hartline has been reliable over the years

So dump them to create sal cap space
    Then spend that space in new guys???

I don’t get that
    Spend the money to get being talent in
    We need to make a run at a player like Iupati – an elite player

Avg players give is avg results

We can surround our high prices guys with young guys
    We just have to make sure out high priced are worth the money we spend

Albert is worth the money
    I think Pouncey is worth big $
    Tanny is
    Clay is worth a high salary
    Iupati is too – go get Iupati

We can being in young guys at WR, LB and DB and maybe they will be difference makers if we draft well

A guy like Leonard Hankerson isn’t overspending and he can compete for a #2,#3,#4 spot on the roster with Matthews, Hazel, and the WR/s we draft.

No Hankerson would be a good pickup

But we would be asking him to what he has never done

If we sign Crabtree
    And overpay him
    Which we will to sign him
    The fan base will hate him within a year, just like Wallace

People on twitter are talking about Jerry Maclin
    I hate that idea even more than Crabtree or Cobb

Ok, well there you have it Tim, you wanted a name/s besides Crabtree. My .2 cents has been spent. 😉

March 1, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Anyone here watch the series Black Sails?

nope but but the series Black Tails is quite fulfilling

March 1, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Gibson was decent at dropping passes in the system

there you go piggy, had to fix it for you

March 1, 2015 at 8:00 pm

I always fall right asleep after I finish…I mean it’s finished

lol. has anyone ever seen the end of a porno?

135. Silly Tim says:

I give up, lol. I have stated clearly about not overspending at WR in FA, but adding a quality vet who is proven. Then drafting one early (a big playmaking WR), and I feel like I’m getting rebuttals for the opposite. I can’t say it any differently. Over spending for Crabtree? I specifically said not to do that.

Someone else like that then. Not everyone in the NFL costs less than a million a year. You have to pay for talent at some point.

I’m right there with ya. Adding another vet is hedging the risk of just drafting WR’s that may or may not develop as well as take time that Philbin/Hickey may not have.

We have to overspend for most vets
      I think that is just the reality

• Silly Tim says:

So don’t overspend. I said offer Crabtree Gibson type money. If not him, someone like that who has experience and can be productive so we’re not so green at WR.

Sources tell Metro New York that the Jets will not attempt to re-sign free agent OG Willie Colon.
    It’s not a surprise after Colon’s performance fell off a cliff in 2014. He was a major part of the problem on a sub-par Jets offensive line. Turning 32 next month, Colon should not be pursued by other teams as an expected starter.

The Jets are expected to “actively pursue” the free agent guard market.
    Orlando Franklin, Clint Boling, and James Carpenter are mentioned as potential targets. Stefen Wisniewski, Justin Blalock, and Todd Herremans are also free agents. The Jets arguably need new starters at both guard spots.

137. Silly Tim says:

GD, you either protect Tannehill and give him weapons after taking some away, with Clay and Wallace still waiting in the balance, or you play around there which is something I hope we don’t do.

I’m intrigued to see what we do. I think more cuts are coming and the team is being re-tooled and structured. No doubt.

Yeah it’s kinda scary, uncharted waters so to speak with dumping 2 WR’s so far, likely a LB or two as well as DB’s, DT’s & OL.
      We got to get better, but that is a lot of changing of the roster for one year.
      You kept saying it wasn’t so much bad coaching as it was a void of talent.
      So here we go….lol. I hope they get it right!

Go Hickey!

I think the overspending point was that typically you overspend in free agency (I get it, you didn’t say overspend). The not wanting Crabtree part, well that pretty much includes everyone here except for you! I’ll take a lot of veteran FA receiviers before I’d even think about bringing him in. Leave Hartline out there for a bit and see if he comes a hell of a lot cheaper.

I’m just saying

If you could turn back the clock and do the offseason of ’13 again

Would you sign Wallace, Hartline and Gibson?
    Or would you draft 2 samurais and spend you $ up front

We have the same opportunity now
    And Tanny has 2 years more experience
    So young WRs are a little less risky

Let’s go draft some playmakers!

• Brian in NY says:

Piggy,

I didn’t want Wallace, thought we gave Hartline too much, and liked the Gibson signing. Landry made him expendable the second he was drafted. I think this may be the year we draft a WR in the 1st again, depending who is left on the board. Cleveland at 12 scares me a bit.