Wedge Scouting Report: Eric Kendricks

ErickKendricks1Wedge ID

I confess, I don’t like most Earthlings…but I do like Linebackers.  Mainly because Linebackers don’t appear to think much of Earthlings either.  Well, that is what I gather by the way they throw their bodies at other Earthlings.  I believe Eric Kendricks hates Earthlings too!  He must!  He loves to hit them!

EricKendricks2

Kendricks is a 6’0, 230 lb linebacker from UCLA.  In his Senior season at UCLA he pummeled so many Earthlings they gave him an award known as the Butkus award.  Kendricks has strong bloodlines in football.  His father was a running back for UCLA in the 70s and his brother Michael plays for the Eagles.

EricKendricks6

This versatile player is probably the most well rounded linebacker in the draft.  He can stop the run, rush the passer and get in open space and cover guys.  Some people might think he is a bit undersized but being light on his feet probably helps him in coverage.  In the NFL these days, linebackers have to cover.

EricKendricks3

Kendricks’ is one of those high football IQ guys. Probably a result of being around football his whole life.  When you watch him on tape, you can see how quickly he identifies the play and then destroys it.  He was the undisputed leader of the UCLA defense that faced powerhouse offenses like Oregon.

EricKendricks5

Kendricks had over 100 tackles in each of the last three years at UCLA.  He had 467 in his career with the Bruins.  Add 8 sacks, 5 Interceptions, 3 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries to that career stat line.  That is why Kendricks is getting a reputation as the most versatile inside linebacker in this draft.

EricKendricks6

Kendricks reminds me of the Great Serpents of the Vcoiup Nebulas.  Those snakes are born with great instincts.  If they smell flesh, they latch on until you collapse.  We used to stick them in each others pants when we got bored at work.  Kendricks’ Alien Weapon of Destruction is a Great Serpent of the Vcoiup Nebulas.

HenricksWeapon

Watch his highlights!

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS. Bookmark the permalink.

217 Responses to Wedge Scouting Report: Eric Kendricks

Piggy must be going to be early tonight?

Stills joins the Dolphins after quickly establishing himself as a deep threat in his first two seasons in the NFL.

As a rookie sixth-round pick in 2013, he led all NFL players with at least 20 receptions with a 20.0-yard average. His average dropped to 14.8 last season but his reception total increased from 24 to 63.

Perhaps more impressively, Stills caught 75 percent of the passes targeted to him in 2014, a figure that tied for second-highest in the NFL with Dolphins wide receiver Jarvis Landry.
    Add Clay, Cameron, and Parker while getting our line healthy with Albert back and Pouncey back at center and James back at his natural RT where he played well as a rookie while shoring up he middle of the defense with Suh I am really thinking about going out to the shed and getting the kettle simmering for 2015’s batch of homeraide.

With a second more to throw the ball and all those high percentage hands on the field I can see our offense finally thriving. NE short passing game dominance style with the Miami flare. We need to pick up a pounder for RB to pair with Miller who I think will excel again this year with the three anchors on the Oline back and hopefully Turner blossoming under who is considered “one of the best” offensive line coaches (and assistant O line coach) With a good LG addition we could actually make a run.

Tannehill 2nd year in offense, Oline’s second year in offense, etc. If it is true, the stories about Tannehill’s drive and work ethic, I think he will be much better next season. Don’t think he is working on his deep accuracy? He KNOWS his weaknesses, had admitted to them, and I bet is working hard on them….

HOMEAIDE GET YOUR ICE COLD HOMERAIDE HEEEEEERRAAYYRAAH
    STAND THE FUCK UP

Speed always has been a big part of the younger Stills’ game; he timed at 4.38 in the 40-yard dash at the 2013 scouting combine.

The 22-year-old Stills, however, doesn’t buy the notion of being simply a speed receiver.

“I would describe myself as a complete receiver,”Stills said. “Every day, I come to work with the right attitude. I’m trying to get better and maximize myself in all facets of the game. I’m 22 and I’m young and I’m still working on my game. There is still plenty for me to improve on.”

Stills should right fit among the Dolphins’ skill position players given his previous connections: His roommate at the University of Oklahoma was running back Damien Williams, he played against quarterback Ryan Tannehill in college, and he became friends with Jarvis Landry when he played in New Orleans and Landry was at LSU. Stills also knows cornerback Jamar Taylor because both are from Asian Diego.

Forgot about Williams. He catches the ball pretty well out of the back field too. Dink & Dunk? dont care. First down, second down, first down. That I can live with.

I am kinda getting psyked about Stills. Young high percentage catcher with speed. Plays cheap. Hmmmm
    COME ON CLAY RE-SIGN

Tim Graham @ByTimGraham

Knowledgable source tells me Dolphins have “lost patience” with and “moved on” from Charles Clay. At moment, Fins expect him to be a Bill.

NOOOOOO

Rock, if we lose Clay, I’d be on phone with Gresham & Wisniewski those two would wrap up a nice FA of guys that can start.

• manitobafinfan says:

I Had though Gresham had already signed somewhere.. apparently not.. You really like him ?? I was expecting so much more out of him when he came in.. Wrong system ? Can he be better or have we seen what he is ?? or am i missing something ??

Evenin Peeps:

In regard to Team Moves to this point.. I like what they have done.. If Wallace was going to continue to be a Malcontent, So long.. Getting anything for him in a trade is an improvement .. Getting his (sort of) replacement for Ellerbe and a 5 is good too.. Stills had some moments, i think he can be good here.. Add that to the Cap savings , i think this Fo is doing a pretty damn good job.. Now Re-Sign Clay and get another Suh Like Monster on the OL…

I like that Stills is young, fast and caught 75 percent of his targets. (should get better as he gets into his prime) With Landry catching 75% as well, that makes for a high QB rating……

Also that Stills caught that at 16.5 yards down field average….

• manitobafinfan says:

Hey Rock ! Good to see ya.. Keep Smiling Man.. Wife and i had a blast meeting ya at the Fest.. “Stand The Fuck Up ” Still brings smiles to our faces… I agreeand just because his YPC went down last year i still think he will be a great replacement.. would like to see another added in High draft…

AND Putting up good #’s with the Saints is tough to do.. Yes Brees is an Excellent QB, but he had so many weapons at his didposal, ya never knew who (other than Graham) would be the flavor of the week.. drove me NUTZ in Fantasy…

Manitoba, I agree stills is better for tanny. I think part of the issue with tanny and Wallace and the long ball was Wallace’s attitude. It’s hard to get on the same page with some one who doesn’t want to work at it with you. I bet we’ll see a selfie of tanny, Mathews Landry and stills soon. They’ll be working at it all off season.

I owe you a beer. see below. I think that Wallace didn’t run full speed in practice didn’t help either. I remember reading an article where he was kind of bragging that he was so fast he didn’t have to run full speed in practice so he didn’t. If that was true, then I could see practice not paying off with “Chemistry” because Tanne wouldn’t get enough reps throwing it down field to Walllace to put it exactly in the right place. I also remember his deep completion percentage being higher with the other WR’s

Toba, I think Gresham can be good here in our system. He’s averaged over over 50+ receptions 500+yds & 5 TD’s in his 5 seasons and he’s just 26yo.
    He can block too. He’s what we’re expecting Sims to hopefully become.

I could see Landry calling up Tannehill and Stills and saying come on, let’s go run some routes during the off season.

Thanks Toba it was great meeting you and the missus too.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if Mathews had a true breakout year this year?

Rock. Exactly. I don’t care who you are. Practice makes perfect

Sorry Guys, got a call from my brother whom i speak to about three times a year.. Did not mean to be so rude..

Even just the Lack of effort Wallace would show not going for balls in his vicinity pissed me off.. I work damn hard at my job for less than 1 % of his pay 52 weeks a year.. GIVE A FUCKING EFFORT !!!!

Matthews in his limited opportunities has also looked good.. Saw a tweet from him on here that gave me the impression he plans to Bring the Wood this year.. Oh Hope hope springs eternal in the off season LOL

Turnin out the lights… Have a good one people..

21. jetsssuck says:

Lazor must be screaming in the ears of everyone to resign Clay. His creativity is dying to put together new wrinkles with Clay, Cameron, and Sims. I can see Clay and Cameron split out wide and if the defense covers them with extra CB then bring them into the line to create big vs small mismatches. If they decide to cover them with LB then we pass against them. NO Saints did this very effectively with two TE sets but we will have three skilled TE’s. Cameron is almost a receiver and considered a hybrid TE/WR. Who needs to deep ball when you can move the chains with high percentage throws and a ground game based on more men on LOS. This is just some of advantages I can think of with resigning Clay. Lazor probably has 100’s of ideas.

• jetsssuck says:

Here’s some offensive sets I can think of—–2wr,3 wr, 1 wr, 4 wr, and 1 te, 2te, and 3 te. I believe we need another wr but we can get away with a veteran WR FA who leads our young bucks on how to be a nfl pro. There are several out there who can fill this need on the cheap.

• jetsssuck says:

with signing Clay we can get away getting a receiver in first round and pick up one later in 5-7 round and have him stashed on practice squad to develop and learn the NFL. With this we can have the first round pick open to anything since the best OL guard is projected to go in the second round.

I agree to a point Jetssuck but I still really want a first-round wide receiver. The beast

Oh I miss read your post you want one in the first and in the 7

I forgot and just realized That we still have Jake Stoneburner on the roster. I just love the dudes name.

I find it amusing that the Phinsider has released a preliminary depth chart and that they list Dion Jordan on the tight end depth chart above Arthur Lynch and Stoneburner

What did he play Last season at tight end? 3 snaps? Well I guess that is more than Stoneburner or Lynch. LOL

Very good article on Varga!

Yale RB Tyler Varga Balancing Ivy League Education with NFL Dreams

“The truth is, I never was a fullback, I was asked to play fullback and I more than gladly accepted the challenge and accepted that role at the Senior Bowl, because I just wanted the opportunity to play football,” Varga said. “But then people say ‘oh, well he’s undersized,’ as a fullback … I’ve been a tailback my whole career.

“Obviously if I’m going to play fullback, I’m totally capable of putting on weight if I need to,” Varga added. “Even despite the fact that they say I was undersized, I still think I held my own against much bigger opponents, 240-pound, 250-pound linebackers.”

27. Try Pod says:

Thanks for the report, Wedge. It is important to keep the west coast continent happy by throwing them a bone every once in awhile, just to throw them of the scent of the “bias”. 😉

28. jetsssuck says:

test

NOT CONVINCED YET that this Dolphins team has made enough moves to get us to the playoffs. –Yes, I know, we’ve still got time left in FA and the entire draft. I can hear the Kool-Aid drinkers saying “you’re too impatient, old man. -Just wait a few weeks and everything will be OK!” I’ve been listening to the Kool-Aid brigade for the last 14 seasons and we STILL don’t have a single playoff win to show for it—the LONGEST SUCH DROUGHT IN DOLPHINS’ HISTORY!! –So don’t give me this “PATIENCE” BULLSHIT!!
    ———
    TO ME. the horrid O-Line of 2013 and 2014 doesn’t look any better right now. We’re counting on Albert to come back from major surgery and be as good as he was during the first half of last season. That seems like a long shot to me, given that he hasn’t played a full season for several years. Many on this board want to rev up the offense with a WR, a TE or a RB in the first two rounds. I’m telling you we could draft a young Jerry Rice AND a young Jim Brown and we’d still be in DEEP SHIT with this O-Line!! WE MUST take AT LEAST ONE TOP QUALITY GUARD in round 1 or 2 to help fix this problem. Otherwise we’ll soon be looking for a new QB because Tanny can’t continue to take the beatings he’s taken in the last 2 seasons.

Good morning all!

Wedge – Great scouting report. Problem is, unless we think LB is a priority and we take him at #14, I don’t think he’ll be around for our 2nd RD pick.

Put on NFLN this morning, and saw on the ticker that Clay is expected to sign with the Bills, that Dolphins will have a chance to match offer. Not sure if that meant sign their offer sheet, or that the Dolphins were unlikely to match the offer.

I’ve went from extremely impressed with our FA period to meh pretty quickly. Outside of Suh, every player we have acquired is either a question mark or has issues(or both). On the flip side, we let Wallace go for nothing, lost a 3rd, and have jettisoned a large number of players without really finding a lot of answers.

While always on board to upgrade, I agree with OD that there are still a lot of holes and even less draft picks to fill them now.Hoping that talented but injury prone players last a full season while getting stopgap filler in positions of need once again would be bad. It’s still early but the FA group is really thin today too.

• jetsssuck says:

I wonder if Philbin talked to Wallace about him being traded. It must have been very hard for him during the last game to decide if wallace wanted to be part of the team.Lazor probably didn’t say anything to the quitter.

• New Age says:

Not sure on any of that but I do know we got bad compensation from a team that wanted him badly.

33. jetsssuck says:

when do you guys think the fins will address the guard position? FA, draft,2nd FA period, in house or maybe trade. I know the number one guard for the draft is rated as a 2nd rounder and the guards and center usually are not a top 14 pick

34. jetsssuck says:

family is off to calle ocho and I have 10 hours of peace and quite. I might take a much deserved nap. They are expecting 1.5 million people this year which will make it the worlds largest 1 day street festival.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it was very hard to see our friend Jim in the state he was in. His family was very happy to see a bunch of us show up in his last days. His mother and brother especially felt that he was aware that we were there and it gave them peace to know that he knew his friends were there, and they were very grateful for that.

• jetsssuck says:

sorry to hear about your friend.

That’s all you can do there in that situation, is be there. On an up note Tim, I was at my friend Rob’s house last night for a St. Patty’s Day party, and he looks real good. He put on some weight, he was eating and drinking last night, and at least at the moment, he’s doing pretty well.

That’s great man. I wish your friend Rob well and hope he beats his illness. Too many people go too young.

Just recently found out a few people we went to school with and hung out with back in the day passed away. That’s the thing about getting older, we lose more and more family and friends.

• New Age says:

Sorry about your friend Tim. Gone way too early.

Kendricks surely knows what to do with the ball after he gets it. What round does he go in?

jetssuck

I’d be shocked if we don’t take a G in the draft. Unless of course we fill that spot in FA

Kendricks is a tough call. He’s a very good football player that probably most teams want, but when is the question.

I’m sorry to hear about your friend. I’m glad you were able to see him even if it was tough for you. Hopefully it gave you some sort of peace being able to see him before he passes.

Thanks man, but to be honest I think it gave his family more peace who have been with him every day through this than it did for us. It really just escalated the sadness for us (friends). That said, we were all glad we went to see him hoping he knew we were there and that it made his family very grateful to know how much he was loved.

We’re going to throw a 50th birthday party for all of us turning 50 in July – the month of Jim’s birthday which happens to be mine as well. It’s a way for all of us to get together again and celebrate the memories of our friendship.

• jetsssuck says:

now that would be cool. We did something similar and everyone brought old pictures (some poleroaid). We made a screen saver for family but now a days they have digital picture frames.

Tim Graham of The Buffalo News reported Saturday night that the negotiations may be turning in Buffalo’s favor., I thinks that’s all we need to know. Really we care what a Bills writer says.

JUST RAN INTO FFR AT a local Winn Dixie. Had NOT seen Rob in about 3 years. He’s lost at least 30 pounds and looks MAHVELOUS in his “FLORIDA ATLANTIC” T-SHIRT (his son goes to FAU). And speaking of FAU, their baseball team swept a doubleheader yesterday at UNC-Charlotte 8-3 and 18-7. It was the Conference USA opener for both teams.
    ————
    FFR we need to get together more often!

42. jahndoh says:

New Age. Come on man. Kenny Stills is a STELLAR pickup. Anything but “meh”. We took wallace’s talent (and then some IMHO) and implanted Landry’s work ethic and attitude.

We jettisoned a 14M salary for a 633k salary, and a 28 year old diva for a 22 year old team first player. The cost was the difference between a 3rd and a 5th round pick. So basically a 4th rounder for all that benefit. That was an outstanding roster move IMHO…

Lastly, for those who thought Philbin was a lame duck, no way Tannenbaum signs off on that Wallace trade if that’s the case. Our FO and staff is cohesive, working together to make this team better, and this teams is undoubtedly better IMHO…with the entire draft and still some Free agency to play out.

• jetsssuck says:

what do you make of Tannenbaum making all the moves instead of Hickey. Is Tannenbaum showing him the ropes like Parcells showed Ireland?

I believe Hickey does a lot of the leg work on personnel and Tannebaum is responsible for the overall state of the franchise. This is a team effort and it really doesn’t matter who holds which title. The bottom line are the results on the field.

• jahndoh says:

I don’t honestly know Jetssuck, but I’m not sure that I care as much anymore about what the “structure” looks like. I sometimes think fans want answers to those questions just so they know who to blame when things go wrong, and I’m not into that so I don’t mind just taking the moves in stride and waiting them out.

I do believe he’s bringing leadership to the group though. Maybe he’s that leader that the players need to percieve in order to feel like the organization has it together? That’s pure speculation, but attracting free agents clearly is NOT an issue for this front office, so between Tannehill, the coaching staff, and the FO, seems like things must be clicking. Suh wouldn’t have signed if he thought Philbin or Coyle were lame ducks, so maybe that’s where Tannenbaum comes in? To dispel any notion when a player starts asking those questions?

I think this organization is showing some cache that we haven’t seen in a very long time. I don’t know if this will work out (mostly I’m talking about signing Suh to a 114M contract), but I LOVE that they’re TRYING!

We don’t need to re-sign Clay. He is under contract for 1 year. What we need to do is match any offer made to him. If no offer is made to him then he is ours. His salary is already being counted against the cap

Tim:
    ++++ vibes to your friend

45. jahndoh says:

Tim, good stuff. Sadness is a part of grief. It’s likely his family who has seen him every single day has already dealt with a lot of that sadness and will be moving through some of the other stages of grief.

My thoughts are with you and them as you guys move through this transistion. +vibes. Hang in there man. You going was a great thing.

PS, my birthday is in July as well, the 14th. My daughters as well, the 20th. Our family has SIX july B-days and that’s generally just the close family we’re talking about!

Thanks, man. Jim’s birthday is July 14th as well. We want to throw the party on the weekend before or after because the 14th is on a Tuesday.

• jahndoh says:

Seems like it falls on Tuesdays way more than 1/7th of the time! LOL!!!! I’ll be thinking of him this year when it rolls around bro.

OD & Newage, As I mentioned earlier, no need to panic yet. If we miss on resigning Clay, then it will allow us more money to address 2 needs, remember we freed up money dumping Wallace too.
    But we need to move quickly cause my solution would be sign TE Jermaine Gresham to fill the Clay hole, and sign Wisniewski or Blalock to fill the OG hole.

Then we can draft BPA’s as we see fit.

Tim, Glad your friend Jim got to see you and his other buddies. Sounds like it gave him and his family comfort. Hang in there!

Miami Dolphins ✔ @MiamiDolphins
    “I’ve always wanted to play with Grimes.” -@McCain21

TIM: Hope you saw my best wishes to you yesterday. I didn’t know too much about hospice services until about 18 years ago when my Mom and Dad, then my wife’s Mom and Dad, all passed in a fairly short period of time. The hospices we came in contact with were wonderful. My wife actually volunteers in one of them in the Tampa Bay area.

My Mom volunteers in one here, after my younger sister passed. Was amazed at how special and caring the staffs are when families are faced with such a difficult time.
      May God Bless them all.

50. jetsssuck says:

well guys i’m going to take a much deserved mid-day nap. I have 8 hours left till chaos comes home

51. jahndoh says:

I love her. My wife will let me openly declare it anytime we see her on TV:

• jahndoh says:

Oh…lol…now I have to be pissed at myself for the moving gif thing.

I’ll rationalize why it was ok: It’s a sunday and posting will be slow anyway?

LOL..go ahead GDP, let me have it. I deserve it. 🙂

52. jahndoh says:

Hey GDP, I like Gresham’s stats, but isn’t it possible Sims could put up numbers like that? I feel like as a group we’re sort of ignoring him a little bit, when he’s shown some flashes of the potential to be that big red zone target we’re all coveting.

Right, I’ve mentioned that before when I brought up Gresham, that he is what we want Sims to become. They are similar in measurables.
      But as of today, we don’t know if or when Sims will get there. I’m just looking to hedge our bets a bit if we lose out on Clay.

Hmm, I thought Gigi and a few others said it was all Tannenbaum 😉
    Hal Habib @gunnerhal
    Ndamukong Suh to Free Press: I always thought I’d re-sign w/Detroit Lions. Ross, Philbin helped lure him to Miami. http://tinyurl.com/mgsgt7w

That birthday celebration sounds like a great thing, something you will all probably cherish for the rest of your lives. I think that’s a beautiful thing, really. It really touches me.

Jahn

You can put up a Kate Upton GIF every day on this blog as far as I’m concerned.

OD, yes I did see your post. Thank you.

GD, thank you.

Jahn, that’s very nice of you. Jim was a very smart and funny guy. Raise a beer for him on your birthday as he enjoyed a good brew. 🙂

Hospice people are a very special breed.

Jahn, who the hell is that gorgeous girl?

• jahndoh says:

Kate Upton. Unbelievable. She rewrote the book on what models look like. Real bodies are back!

She’s so sexy I’m stuttering. lol

• Try Pod says:

I like her, but I’m still inclined towards brunettes. Too bad she finds it necessary to bleach her hair- I’m sure she’d be easily as stunning with her natural color.

• Try Pod says:

Sorry Jahn- I’m not trying to piss on one of your “allowed list”-ers. I would not kick her out or turn her down if either were a possibility.

Love Kate anytime she is displayed anywhere.

Jahn,

I dont like the awful compensation we got for Wallace. We’ve given up our 3rd and 7th for another 5th so far and we still have needs at S, OG, LB, and probably WR, CB. We’ve dumped a lot of players and picked up 4. Like I said earlier, they could still easily fix all issues but the FA market is drying up and we have less picks than we did a week ago. For me, that’s cause for concern..

New Age

The thing about Wallace is, all we gave up to get Wallace was money, and after this year, he’ll be off our books. So really, to get anything for him is better than just cutting him outright. That’s the way I choose to view that situation. He was done here, despite what I, or any other fan who wanted to keep him wanted.

You can’t worry about the picks, the main thing is are they making additions by subtraction? You have to get rid of the dead weight, like Donald Trump says, you have to evaluate the situation now, is it a good deal now. This seems like what the team is doing, the guys that don’t fit the scheme or aren’t getting it done on the field are gone.

• New Age says:

Yeah, good points.

59. Try Pod says:

I’m glad Winn Dixie is alive and well. I’m also glad they are stuck in Florida, so they can no longer push their name brands and second rate produce on the public here or outside the state.

• New Age says:

Lol! I’m a fan of Piggly Wiggly myself but only because of the name and them being in nice, warm weather states.

• Try Pod says:

• Try Pod says:

Aldi also, and several smaller ones- valumarket, price right, sav-a-lot….

Brunette for TryPod

Jordan Cameron is a great get if he can stay healthy. Here is some highlights of him on a bad Browns offense with so so QB play. He is what we need as a End Zone target, he boxes out well, and goes up to contest for the ball. His concentration is very good in traffic to look the ball in too.

Jordan Cameron when he isn’t on the sidelines counting fingers:

Steve

I agree with all of that if it adds up to progress. That’s the important thing for me. We can make a million moves, but if adds up to 8-8 again, I am not going to be pleased.

• jahndoh says:

I totally understand this perspective. Right now I feel like we can’t know if that’s what it will add up to (progress) but we can discern quite easily if the organization is TRYING to bring progress to us, and in spite of the fact I wasn’t a big fan of pursuing Suh, in the end, I’m left with: They’re trying like hell to make us better.

Now we wait (and overanalyze! lol!)…..I’m looking forward to what’s next…Clay, a FA OL, the draft…whatever it is…

63. jahndoh says:

“Jahn,
    I like the Stills pickup but I think comparing him to Wallace is very premature. He’s fast and that’s the comparison at this moment. He was a very nice pickup just like Suh was a phenomenal one.”

There’s way more there than speed. He runs nice routes, and great route awareness, whereas Wallace crowds the sideline on his 9 routes consistently and leaves himself no room to work, nor Tannehill much room for error. He sells out for the ball whereas Wallace clearly does not. He practices the way he wants to play whereas Wallace does not. He’s 22 whereas Wallace is not. He’s cheap, whereas Wallace is not.

There’s way more than: They’re both fast at work here. Wallace had more TDs than him, but I sincerely believe that’s because we funneled our entire offense through Wallace in hopes we’d get the most of from him and keep him happy, whereas, we did not.

I don’t really think any receivers next season will get 10+ TDs, but I think that’s by design. It’s time we let Tannehill read defenses and make throws to the best read, like a franchise QB is supposed to as opposed to pressuring him to make one WR happy at the overall expense of the offense. All JMHO of course.

• New Age says:

I hope so, Jahn. I do agree that it is much easier now for Tanny to pick the open guy instead of the ME first option. I still think we need another really good WR though on top of our other needs.

I guess my biggest problem is that we have only 2 picks in the top 110 now. That’s exactly what happened in NY when Tannenbaum ran the ship. A lot of picks just thrown away to appease the here and now. The Jets were awesome for two years. Then the piper came calling.

Jahn

Just so you know, I’m not down on anything we’ve done at all. I feel pretty good about where we are. I think we’re in position to really improve if we take care of business in this draft. I totally don’t discount that they’re trying to improve, that’s a given, but I hope and expect that it adds up to being a better team now.

Thanks New Age – I’ll be looking out for it! 🙂

66. jetsssuck says:

Grocery stores have come and gone. We only have Kroger here now, as well as whole foods and trader Joe’s. Targets and Wal-Mart’s, too. No publix, but they are close- Knoxville now, I think. Aldi is mostly private label and they are giving walmart a run for the dollar but they are small. It might be wise to shop at wal-mart because they match ad prices from competitors and if you buy in bulk it is wise to shop at Sam’s. With my wife’s 15 percent discount at Sam’s we save a lot on meats. I get all the ad prices for vegetables and fruits and I get prices from all the local stores and they match price thus saving time hunting for lowest price and gas if I would drive to these stores.

• jetsssuck says:

Publix is getting out of control with it’s high prices. I only use them when I’m heading home and we need something.

In celebrating St. Patty’s Day, I think we should take a look at possibly bringing Colin McCarthy back home to Florida, he’s from Clearwater & played for the Canes.
    He a MLB 26yo 6’1 243 that was drafted in the 4th round by Titans, he missed last year due to a shoulder surgery, he’s an UFA. He’s pretty good in coverage.

None of you bums liked the Cameron highlights above? You should be excited about this guy’s potential. When he’s on the field he is a bonafide threat.
    Would be an easy read and safety valve for Tanny.

GDP

I’ve watched Cameron a lot, i don’t need a highlight reel. It’s not his talent I’m concerned about, it’s the fact that one hit may end his career, and it doesn’t even have to be a jarring hit.

He spent a lot of time off the field in 2014, letting it heal up the right way. Now add a long offseason, and I think he’ll be fine.

I’m glad you guys are getting together for the birthday bash. That should be a cathartic experience for you all.

Mike,

I read that Cameron’s concussions have no lingering effects, and that his brain is no more prone to a concussion than someone who hasn’t sustained one. So IN THEORY, he is no closer to a career ending hit than anyone else. But I hear you, and feel the same way you do.

What is going on with Clay?

73. Rhino says:

the Clay news is either the Buffalo or Miami side “leaking” to force a decision… both sides don’t want to wait this out too long and miss on other opportunities.

Omar has an answer on Clay for ya….lol

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly
    “@JayG56: Update on clay”» He had a bowel movement around 9am this morning. Stay tuned.

75. jahndoh says:

New Age,

I hear ya about needing another talented WR, and I’m personally hoping that comes in the draft, but I really think OL and LB are both higher priorities at this point. Regarding the 2 picks in 110 (did you go all the way to our 4th round pick to get that number? I think 3 rounds is 96-100 picks based on compensatories), I consider Stills one of three picks in the top 3 rounds, and it’s a 3rd rounder that we KNOW is a starter on day one. That’s a tremendous value. I don’t think he threw away that pick whatsoever.

If you want to know who was behind most of the wasted draft picks in New York, watch what’s happening in Buffalo right now. An org that never made trades is all of the sudden making notable ones and reaching for players that may be washed up. McCoy is not nearly as washed up as Ladanian Tomlinson, but I think Chris Johnson might be an analogue. That’s the Rex Ryan influence. JMHO.

Mike E.

I get ya. My perspective is fueled by the fact we HAVE to wait to see any kind of proof. So what am I left with? Are they working their asses off and taking risks to make us better or are they going into a shell and trying to save their own jobs while hoping the guillotine falls on others in the organization? I think it’s the former, and for that I’m glad. There’s no denying, the proof will be in the pudding. But in week 4 when something goes wrong and you’re ready to fire someone, we both know where I’ll stand. 😛 (jk/bb).

76. jahndoh says:

Look, if Buffalo wanted Clay as badly as was reported, the offer sheet would already be extended. It’s not, so everyone can just relax and see how it plays out. What other opportunities are we missing? I know GDP brought up Gresham, but it’s speculation to assume he’s even on our radar. At this point, with both Cameron and Sims on the roster, they may feel they’re just fine at TE. It’s a think FA class, it makes no sense to extend themselves much more on any player other than Clay.

If I’m to put odds on it, the longer this goes on, the more likely Clay is going to play for the fins next year. Right now I think it’s better than 50% that’s what will happen. The fins “moving on” report is likely posturing. Clay at the right price will be back in Miami. If the fins remove the transition tag from Clay than we’ll know they’re really moving on. Until than, the fins still want Clay back, and the tag is proof.

• jahndoh says:

Also, btw, I agree with Rhino that the news is absolutely one side or the other, or both, putting information out there to try and force a decision by Clay. Not sure if Clay’s agent is telling him that stringing this out is going to help his case, but I’d be surprised if he gets more valuable to NFL teams between now and camp. Can’t be many teams counting on the draft for a TE at this point, and Clay’s camp would have to hope they miss out on whoever it is they covet….

Mike E, that young girl gif is like 5+ years old now so she’s legal now. LOL

78. jahndoh says:

Love y’all…gotta go brew some beer for my Sister in laws wedding. I’ll be both the officiant, and the brewmaster for this shindig. Gonna be fun! Yes, I’m an ordained minister folks. Bet you didn’t see that coming! 😉

What is the hold up with the offers for Clay? I agree if BUF really wanted him it would have been done already, and we’re definitely playing possum.

I think it’s about the length of the contact and guaranteed money because Clay has a knee issue that hampered him all season. I bet the offers are 2-3 year deals and he wants 4 and a bigger contract and guaranteed money. His agent and he both know they’ll get something more rich than what he was previously paid, so they’re holding out for the best deal. Watch another team swoop in and sign him.

I was thinking about next year’s schedule, and we really need to go at least 4-2 in our division to have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. If we go 3-3 again, we will have to go 7-3 against the rest of the league to make the playoffs, which is a tall order.

Agreed
      3-3 in the division is the best way to get to .500
      Need to sweep some one

4-2 is fine
      I bet the patriots 4-2

Jahn, I just love the way you write stuff…lol
    My opinions are just “speculation”, but yours are full of merit.
    I mean why would the Phins be interested in another TE when they just signed Cameron and have Sims on the roster, so they may feel they’re just fine @ TE.

But then out of the other side of your mouth, your opinion is that they still really want Clay, that the longer this stalemate goes, then you say the odds are Clay will play for the Phins next season.

Hmmm, so which is it??? 😉

• jahndoh says:

Uh that 1000 word post contained one line intended to include/validate/give voice to your thought, and this was it:

” I know GDP brought up Gresham, but it’s speculation to assume he’s even on our radar.”

I can’t count the amount of times I say IMHO, or JMHO around here, to the point it’s even annoyed a few people I’ve said it so much. Even if I had any desires to walk on eggshells, there’s no way I could’ve avoided this particular lash out.. Grow up dude. I’m here to talk football.

I sincerely mean this without malice or even annoyance. If your opinion of me has gotten you to the point that you get butthurt by that singular sentence, it’ll be best for all involved if you just stop reading my posts. I don’t want to offend you any further, and preventing it is clearly impossible.

• jahndoh says:

In retrospect, out of respect for Tim, who is dealing with real stuff, I’m sorry I even gave voice to this post. Feel free to have your response GDP, I have nothing further to add.

LMAO @ Tim! OK, I already went back and checked it out! Thanks! 🙂

This team needs to make the playoffs anyway they can and then seize the moment.

There’s once again going to be some change but I see upgrades being made and better cap situations moving forward. This was a clear Ireland cleansing – Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Ellerbe and Wheeler all in one year was an elimination of his main 2013 FA signings. We had to go all out on the OL last year.

Ireland’s 2012 with the WRs and 2013 with the OL was the reason he’s no longer here. He used our massive cap wad to go for it with mediocre players at a high price.

It’s 2015, let’s see if this new cocktail works. LOL

I keep seeing reports that we’re finished with Clay. I think it’s fluff, personally. Just seems like we’re we have nothing to do but wait and see this supposedly terrific offer from BUF that we can’t match. When I see it, I’ll believe it. Until then, I believe he’s a Miami Dolphin TE who was tagged with the transition tag.

Your score is: 5693 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 14: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Ali Marpet, OG, Hobart & William Smith (B-)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson (B)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss (A)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Kurtis Drummond, FS, Michigan State (A)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Karlos Williams, RB, Florida State (A)

• jahndoh says:

I like it, but I’m afraid (because I’d love to get the guy) all mocks with White falling to us are unrealistic. I can see Cooper, White AND Parker all being off the board before we draft. I know you can only take what they give you in these mocks, but I’m starting to wonder what a draft looks like if all 3 of those guys are off the board?

• Brian in NY says:

It looks like no WR at pick 14.

Lol..implied!

Who than? Trae Waynes? Kendricks? Hard to say that there will an OT worth it at that slot….trade back seems logical, but it takes a partner, which is hard to project.

GDP

If what you’re saying is true about Jordan Cameron, why sign him to a short 2 year contract with most of the guaranteed money paid the first year? That tells you think he’s an injury risk. If he wasn’t at risk with his concussions, why not sign him for 3-5 years?

• jahndoh says:

He’s definitely an injury risk, and a big one at that. I’m hopeful it’s less of a risk than we’ve seen in the past with concussion victims, and the reports clearly mean to have us believe that, but there’s no denying he’s a risk.

Clay is too btw. That knee has been bothering him for 2 seasons. Could be one of those things that never quite gets right, and to Tim’s credit, that could very well be the reason negotiations have stalled between him and multiple teams said to have been interested in him.

87. jahndoh says:

Piggy, I’ve been remiss. Thank you for doing a piece on my favorite LB in the draft!!!!!! Would LOVE to trade back and land this guy. Or even just take him. Others will say that’s a reach, but he’s the best ILB prospect in the draft IMHO (and also in my speculative opinion!) and there are no guarantees that a team like the Giants, Cleveland, San Francisco or others aren’t targeting this guy.

Could be my bias showing. But I love this kid, and behind Suh, I think he’s going to be an all-pro.

I’ve been checking out a lot of LBs lately
      I want to add 2 in the draft

I tend to think the 1st round is not a great place for us to take one in 2015
      but Kendricks is the one that is 1st round worthy

Keep watching the Wedge reports
      Upcoming linebackers being scouted include Ben Heeney (my new favorite) Jordan Hicks and Kwon Alexander

• jahndoh says:

cool. Thanks in advance. Can’t wait to check them out. The more I’m thinking about it the more I think LB is our top priority entering the draft and the WR that so many of us covet might not be on the board when we select.

Well

I want Jaelen Strong
    so my WR will still be there…lol

I know White isn’t going to be there, but when he is in these silly drafts, I’m compelled to take him. I think Parker will be there, but there is a chance he’s gone also. I think these are 13 players who very likely will be gone before we pick, but not in this order . . .

Winston
    L. Williams
    Mariota
    Scherff
    Ray
    Gregory
    Landon Collins
    La’el Collins
    Beasley
    Fowler
    Shelton
    Cooper
    White
    _______

That should leave Devante Parker, Trae Waynes, a few notable OT’s like Peat, Flowers and Clemmings, OG’s Cameron Erving, AJ Cann, a few top DT’s like Jordan Phillips, Eddie Goldman and Carl Davis, ALL the 4-3 LB prospects from Kendricks, McKinney, Perryman and Shaq Thompson (who I’d be shocked if we took), and the 2 1st RD RB’s, Gurley and Gordon.

If somehow La’el Collins fell, I think he’d be hard to pass up, but I do think Parker will be the pick, unless, like last year, they’ve identified the guy they love, and won’t be afraid what everyone else thinks and take a guy like Kendricks at #14 if they love him, can’t trade back, and figure he’ll be gone by next pick. I’m actually OK with that, or a trade UP to get the WR or other player they really want, although I think without our 3rd Pick, it’s much less likely.

• jahndoh says:

Good analysis. I actually agree 100%. But I heard Pioli on NFL radio yesterday tell someone that he thinks all 3 of those guys (White, Cooper, Parker) will be off the board by the time the Jets are done picking, so I need to start thinking about other positions. I agree with you on Collins, but

Jahn

I find that hard to believe. The premium positions, year in and year out in the top 15 are QB’s, DE’s and LB’s, and OT’s, and occasionally, a superior OG or C. It’s the QB’s, the guys that protect the QB’s, and the guys that destroy the QB’s. Seeing 3 WR’s go top 10, especially in what is considered a very deep WR draft seems almost impossible to me, but that’s just what I think, and I’d have to defer to Pioli who just might know a little more than me. 😀

• jahndoh says:

You may be right, but keep in mind that last years’ rookie WR class almost universally outperformed their draft status, and everyone supposedly thinks this class is even better.

Mostly I agree with you, but also have to lend some credibility to what Pioli says. He’s one of my favorite analysts actually.

Trae Waynes is probably a bad scheme fit for us
    He played very little zone in college
    I’m not sure he is on our radar

• jahndoh says:

I wish this wasn’t true. 😦

I think man/zone (press corners on the edges, everyone else playing zone) would work great for Coyles system, especially with Suh at the point of attack. OL will break down quickly and corners can jam WRs off the timing routes.

He’s definitely on mine, Piggy. The kid has Talent with a capital “T.” –But I agree with the above comments on Parker/Collins in round 1. That leaves Round 2 for the MANDATORY STUD GUARD, assuming we DON’T fill that gaping hole in FA. One consideration for round 5 might be my boy D’JOUN SMITH out of Florida Atlantic. If this 3rd round talent slips to round 5, we should seriously consider him. Schnellenberger says he’s the best DB he ever recruited to FAU.
      ————
      A free agent consideration might be another graduating FAU senior, Lucky Whitehead, who led conference USA in receptions. He’s a slippery speed merchant who I see as having a chance to make it as a kick returner, receiver, and an occasional running back who can catch or run wide with blazing speed, “LUCKY” had 11 receptions vs, Marshall this season and has performed well against good teams.

Mike E, add Peat, Dupree and Brown to that list. We’ll have options to land a solid prospect at #14.

Yeah, thanks Tim, accidentally left Peat out. I think he could also be gone before we pick, so that would bump someone else down our way, not sure who though. I think Collins is the better OL prospect of the two though.

I think Dupree is a DE, or 3-4 OLB, so he wouldn’t be on our radar. Unless we’re thinking about the future, which is possible, but it seems like we’re gearing up for now, don’t you think?

I think I may go nuclear if we select another player on the line this year. 5 out of the last 7 years have been either an OL or DL slection.

• Brian in NY says:

selection

• jahndoh says:

I second what Mike says. OL makes EVERYONE more effective. WRs, TEs RBs and more important than all the others combined, QB. No matter what we do this offseason, our success hinges mostly on Tannehill’s continued growth. Whatever it takes to help him along is what I want them to do.

• jahndoh says:

It just dawned on me that 10 of 22 possible draftee positions are represented by the OL and DL. if you don’t want to severely limit your first round options you can not rule those positions out, in pretty much ANY year.

Mike E, I didn’t mean those guys I mentioned were prospects for us, but part of the top 14 possibilities. Who could be there for us if we stay put? I still think we might trade up for the WR we want. This team is not being constructed for tomorrow. We have the cap to sign a vet guard.

• jahndoh says:

Not having a 3rd severely limits our ability to move up. I won’t rule anything out, but I think that’s an unlikely option.

Your score is: 5450 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 16 (HOU): DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Eric Kendricks, ILB/OLB, UCLA (A)
    Round 2 Pick 19 (HOU): Derron Smith, FS, Fresno State (B)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Josue Matias, OG, Florida State (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Kevin White, CB, TCU (A)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Tyler Varga, FB, Yale (B+)
    Round 6 Pick 15: James Sample, SS, Louisville (C+)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 14: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Jalen Collins, CB, LSU (B+)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Jordan Hicks, OLB, Texas (A-)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Ben Heeney, ILB, Kansas (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Tyler Varga, FB, Yale (B+)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland (D+)

****
    No Safety or OG
    So we would have to get those before the draft in this scenario

Me likey those LBs though
    Firstpick keeps having White drop to 14
    I cant resist

What up Boyos?

Q — can Jordan Cameron block? If he’s an all-around, no need for Clay…….not that he wouldn’t be a nice option.

Jahn, I want to see how FA finishes up first before declaring losing a 3rd hurts our chances to move up. If we feel the need to add special I would not be shocked.

Stanger, Cameron is Keller Pt.II, that’s why I’m surprised we haven’t come to terms with Clay yet, to recreate what 2013 was suppose to be – 2TE/H-back combo.

Mike/Jahn,

At the end of the day, I know we need an OL, but I would prefer to trade down a bit if possible. I’m just tired of drafting OL early, and having a porus OL anyway.

Jahn, my bad…I didn’t mean for my post to come off with malice or bad intent either. Was in a flow of bustin balls as good natured jabbing.
    I know what you’re saying about the IMO’s & IMHO, I try to use it often as well, but maybe not enough.
    After all, that’s all we fans can do here on a blog is express opinions, try to make speculations and sometime so called calculated guess.
    Makes it interesting…All good….IMHO of course 🙂

It shouldn’t be about drafting the same position, it should be about the issue at hand. We need upgrades and depth on the OL.

The Bills and Jets will have very good defenses. The Pats are always okay. We better block them this year or we will see more of the same.

I just hope we solve the Clay thing soon, and if they really want to go with more solid 2 TE sets, then maybe Gresham should be looked at, maybe Zach Miller, or we can draft say Maxx, or Walford, or that sleeper I like in mid rounds, Blake Bell.

All I have to say is . . . . . LA’EL!!! lol

Your score is: 5787 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 14: La’el Collins, OT/OG, LSU (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Breshad Perriman, WR, UCF (A)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson (B)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville (A)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Ibraheim Campbell, SS, Northwestern (A)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Karlos Williams, RB, Florida State (A)

105. jetsssuck says:

——————————————————————————————————-
    The qb has more time for longer developing routes.The defense stays off the field for several plays a game. Less injuries to OL that are run oriented.More injuries occur to OL pass blocking than run blocking.oiw If we had a great O-line, everyone on offense gets better though, especially the QB. That counts manppppp-

BRIAN IN NY SAYS he’s tired of picking an O-Line player early and STILL having a crappy O-Line!–Me, too. –However, the problem ISN”T picking a lineman early. NO-O-O, BRIAN, the PROBLEM is who’s doing THE PICKING!! –JEFF IRELAND was the problem!! –We absolutely cannot win in the playoffs with our current O-Line. WE MUST GET BETTER!! THAT means an O-Lineman in round 2 and maybe another in round 4 or 5. Sure. I’d LOVE to get PARKER or an impact receiver in round ONE. –IF none are available, the BEST LB available at pick#14 would also be OK. But let’s get real here. Our current O-Line is a recipe for DISASTER and another disappointing season, especialy if Albert does NOT come back as good as he was or if he suffers yet another injury and only plays part of the season.
    —————
    SHOUT OUT TO MIKE E.; Who would be the best Guard available, in your opinion, in round 2??–I know it’s a lot of guess work, but toss me a few names.
    ————–
    Y’ALL have a great day. –Talk to you after work. -PS: Another insanely beautiful day in Tampa Bay!!