How It All Began

How it all began: My Dolphin Story By John D. aka son of a son of a shula I was 7 years old. The only real thing I knew about football was that my three older brothers would clobber me when I had one in my hands. Growing up in Connecticut, just outside of New York, the Giants were the team always on TV and the team most cheered for. Suddenly out of nowhere there was a loud noise across the football landscape, there was a team threatening to be undefeated. A team that was new and wore far different color uniforms than that of which we’d become accustomed to. They had players that no one had heard of, they had a real young coach, with a distinctive jaw, and they just kept winning. They even had some “old” guy playing quarterback. My older brothers became enthralled so, me, as the kid brother followed along. The Dolphins were turning the football world on its ear and we loved it. http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/62/files/2014/04/ap_dolphins_071221_ssh.jpg The Dolphins were a fancy looking team and to see them on television was a huge thrill. My Father and Grandfather were very skeptical of course. How could a new team with teal and orange colors ever be a force against the Giants, the Packers, the Steelers or the Cowboys? “They were just lucky”, they said. I knew it wasn’t luck, I just knew. These were the Dolphins and they could beat anyone. As the dominance and popularity grew so did the magazine articles. We’d rip out every picture and hang it on the wall. Sports Illustrated, Sport, Sporting News we ripped ‘em all out. We couldn’t get enough of the fancy uniform and the cool logo. http://www.phinzmania.com/news/images/stories/Dolphin1966.png Losing the Super Bowl to Dallas the previous year put the Dolphins on the radar but no one could have expected the unprecedented season which would follow.  It did and the bandwagons loaded up, myself included. As a seven year old I was just having a lot of fun with it mostly riding on the coattails of my older brothers’ enthusiasm. Once the 72 season ended we geared up for the next year this time with a better knowledge of the team and a stronger desire for more. The Dolphins didn’t let us down either. With only two loses and then dominating the playoffs including spanking the Vikings in the Super Bowl.  We were the fans of a magical team, the team with the fancy uniforms and the funny names. Csonka, Kuechenberg, Den Herder, Kiick, Griese, Mercury and a guy named Little who was HUGE. Garo Yepremian! It was the crooked nose under the funny looking face mask that Csonka wore. It was the gigantic fu-man-chu mustache on Manny Fernandez, the bald head of Dick Anderson all defining this great team. How come the middle linebacker wore number eighty-five? Our safety wore number thirteen. Why were there two I’s in Kiick? Our team was the best, the best and once the playoffs started the next year we all knew the Dolphins would win it all again. Now we were older and playing organized ball ourselves so we had a lot more knowledge and expectation to go along with the Dolphins invincibility. Then it happened. It was incredible and it was devastating all at once. We clenched and prayed as the Raiders drove late, knowing they would scare us, but come on these were the Dolphins, they were just going to win.  Stabler was about to get sacked and we were in mid air cheering when the “Sea of Hands” play occurred. How, how did this happen? It wasn’t supposed to be like this. I was shattered. I was in shock. http://www.raiders.com/assets/images/news/article-images/122109seaofhands-catch.jpg Of course we all know that the team came back to reality. Csonka, Kiick and Warfield went after the big money and our team became just another team. Good but not great. Don Shula continued to lead the team to the playoffs seemingly every year so we always felt the glory could be re-captured. I still yearn for it. I still in a way expect it, oddly enough. I sometimes still look back on those times as a seven year old when those colors were magical and our team was unbeatable, what an impression it left on me. I think about the pictures on the wall, the football cards, the various Dolphin shirts and paraphernalia my brothers and I had. Larry Seiple’s football card said P/TE. Csonka’s crooked nose is perhaps one of the most indelible marks left by those days. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513XVNFV7yL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg So I’m starting to get older now and a little less wide-eyed, yeah we make the playoffs every year but come on where are the Super Bowls. Then along comes Dan Marino. I’m out of High School and our family had moved to Florida. This kid is insane – look at him throw the football. That magic was damned near restored, you felt it again. At least we felt it again. http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/1992/1551614-danmarino.jpg Through it all I remained the most die-hard out all of my brothers, they are much more casual fans than I am. I raised my daughters to be fans and God bless them they are though what have they seen to endear them. It must be the uniforms! I’m ready to start a new chapter of greatness, to witness it and get caught up in it. I mean after all I still expect it. Our current team is heading in a good direction. Despite the amount of negativity, there is so much I like about the make-up of the current team. They have a rallying cry from last years let down, they have a hunger. The heart must come out. These guys have to believe in each other and play for each other. I always get very optimistic at this time of year; it’s where I come from as a Dolphin fan. The new season brings another opportunity to be great. I saw it so many times before. The years are piling up now and we’ve all witnessed the frustration of the last many years but I believe better times lay ahead and we are headed right for them. I have a lifetime invested in this team and the best parts were as a wide eyed little kid, it was wonderful.  I’m a diehard, I’m a believer! One man one Dolphin fan! http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/22ee28b4ba3de428b3ff85b0600af6355c76b7f0/c=11-0-1966-1470&r=x404&c=534×401/local/-/media/2015/03/12/DetroitFreePress/DetroitFreePress/635617651278209589-AP-Dolphins-Suh-Football-FLJ.jpg

This entry was posted in Fan Origin. Bookmark the permalink.

339 Responses to How It All Began

1. Al in MIA says:

Dbolt,
    Have you focused on film for Michigan LB Jake Ryan? He looks very instinctive as well.

2. Al in MIA says:

Also, how come nobody in here is pumping up Stephone Anthony?

3. Al in MIA says:

Does FU mob have a consensus on a FS target in this draft?

Gerold Holliman?

What do you Pensy guys think of Adrian Amos as a value play?

Also, anyone else feeling Minny’s Cedric Thompson as a last day option?

I like Jaquiski Tartt and Cody Prewitt best. Later round id really like to take a shot at getting Nick Marshall and playing him at safety as well. His coverage skills are ok if he isnt playing man, so think he would be a decent dev project. I do think you cant focus on FS and ballhawk aspects as we play hybrid safeties, not your normal one int he box one deep formations. Im looking for best hybrid skills and to me Prewitt is best. If you look at video of Tartt though you realize he plays all out and i like the idea of guys who play with that energy. His coverage skills are ok, but he hits like crazy.

• dbolt48 says:

Give me Adrian Amos PSU!

4. Al in MIA says:

Stanger,
    I hear ya, but maybe it’s one of those things that people cope in different ways. You are right, emotionally, having a regular will divert emotions a bit (the physical play on emotions). One must find a routine that helps them cope…regular time with a friend who can be there, or a sexual partner perhaps, or anything such as fishing (if that’s your thing) or any other hobby (for me it was working out when I wasn’t working).

Al — not saying I know what is right for him, but I do know what I went through. And if anything, my time for the practice for the next stuff was down the road from where he is.

But for sure…..different folks and different right ways.

Round 1 Pick 14: DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Benardrick McKinney, ILB, Mississippi State (C)
    Round 4 Pick 15: D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida (A)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss (A)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina (A)
    Round 6 Pick 15: James Sample, SS, Louisville (C+)

Al

I do like Stephone Anthony, and I tend to think he’s the more realistic target at MLB. If we don’t take Kendricks at 14, and I wouldn’t, Anthony is a better bet in the 3rd RD. I also really like Holliman, despite his 4.61 at his pro day, and the fact that he’s not the best tackler. I’d love to try and fix his tackling, and I’m not worried about his speed.

Cept we dont have a 3rd roud pick.

Er, yep. That’s a bit of a problem. He’s there in that First Pick game in the 4th, but I don’t think he’ll be there for real. In the 2nd RD you have Anthony and Perryman who will be available, and then later on in the 4th and later I think Hull, Wilson, Heeney and a few other guys, but I’d prefer Anthony or Perryman.

7. dbolt48 says:

Al,
    In all honesty Amos tops my FS list.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago

Raiders cut QB Matt Schaub http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Juh

Philadelphia Eagles ‏@eaglesbuzztap 6m6 minutes ago

http://bleedinggreennation.com >> Matt Barkley Trade Rumors: Eagles quarterback available for late round pick http://buzztap.com/-apQUA7
    0 retweets 0 favorites
    ———————————-
    I remember the days when Dolphin fans were goo goo over Barkley. Every thought he would be our pick with 8th overall, but then he went back to school.

Eagles bring in Tim Tebow then start offering up Matt Barkley….hmmm

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Eagles are “not planning to sign” free agent Tim Tebow after working him out on Monday.
        It’s possible the Eagles were just doing Tebow and/or his agent a favor by putting him back on the NFL’s radar. The odds remain long that Tebow will resurface on an NFL roster this season, or at any point in the future.

D, now I did read where Eagles are offering Matt Barkley up for a late round pick.
        Word is Omar is trying to purchase the Phins 7th round pick so he can get him. 😉

Oh shit im being moderated again!

Best of Luck Randy Starks, thanks for your 75% services. 😉
    Seems a reunion of Phin casts offs in Cleveland. Can’t wait to raze my Browns buddies more than I normally do….lol

Mike E, I think LB Anthony goes by late 2nd round.

GDP, i know its not likely they bring in Tebow, it was just funny that the coincidence of the Tebow visit coincided with the rumors of the Barkley trade. As crazy as some of Kelley’s moves have been though its hard not to put anything out of consideration with him.

D, they did workout Tebow, he’s badly wanting to resume his career, guess the TV booth bores him…lol
    Barkley couldn’t even beat out C. J. Kinne.

Btw, I saw the Raiders released Matt Schaub, wow, has he really fallen off a cliff in past 2 years.

He and Matt Flynn…..just seem to have gone from really promising to someone no one will keep on the roster. Nuts.

Wow Buffalo is really dragging out this fucking Clay offer thing. Wonder if they are waiting us out to see if we will make a move that basically makes Clay irrelevant before throwing something small at him knowing we wont match because we moved past it. IMO Clay would be best to take bird in hand with us than let Bills fucking play this game with him.

Posts are out of order, what gives Admins?

son of a son of a shula says:
    March 16, 2015 at 10:18 am
    I met someone the other day who’s name is :
    La-a
    pronounced Ladasha

She was pissed because upon seeing her name written as above I had no idea what her name was. She was like well there is a dash there just say dash. Oh, I said, as I asked her if she says period or question mark after every sentence.
    I proceeded to go all Victor Borge on her…
    LMFAO! This reminds me of when I first started teaching in Baltimore. I’d mispronounce names because I ennunciated the wrong syllable, and then the kids would give me an attitude for do so. I would simply say “I apologize in advance if I mispronounce your name, but there’s no reason to give me an attitude about it if I do so. Just correct me politely”. What I wanted to say was “Don’t give me an attitude, blame your mother for your ridiculous name!”

son of a son of a shula says:
    March 16, 2015 at 10:18 am
    I met someone the other day who’s name is :
    La-a
    pronounced Ladasha

you should have just told her, ‘that is why i asked. i was about to call you la negative a’

you could have asked her. so do your friends do like all friends and make up nick names. do they call you neg a

NFL.com has the top three ranked players in the draft now as Winston, Williams, and Fowler.

Great job with the article Son.

Changed your avie. I miss seeing your pretty face next to your Dad.
      What is your new avie?

• herdfan says:

Awww thanks, it had been a couple of months since he’s been gone and thought maybe I should change it. I miss seeing him too. 🙂

This one is my dolphins beach towel on the back of a boat at Smith Mountain Lake in Va.

Interesting perspective from at least one person in the locker room.
    —————————-
    Chris McCain @DolphinEret

Stop hitting me up asking me to ask ppl to stay. If someone has the decision to stay with us and they leave then F em. #AintNoRuleToWhoopAss

I asked last week about doing a blog March Madness pool. I have to admit I have no clue how many people responded, either they want to or they don’t. Just think of me as the old lady you have to repeat things to. 🙂

Abramson is calling Billy Turner a “likely starting guard,” but also says “don’t rule out Dallas Thomas. Philbin still seems to like his potential.”

If he is right on just one of those, I’ll be a happy camper.

24. dbolt48 says:

D says:
    March 16, 2015 at 5:12 pm
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago

Raiders cut QB Matt Schaub http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Juh

Philadelphia Eagles ‏@eaglesbuzztap 6m6 minutes ago

0 retweets 0 favorites
    ———————————-
    Sorry D, but I fucking hated Barkley & always maintained Id never draft in any round. He is one of the very few players that I’ve said I wouldn’t even use a 7th on him.

I never liked Barkley even when we were still desperately needing to draft a QB in 2012 and he was a hot name then, but stayed in school..

Research Report: WR Kenny Stills

Sean Kelley, a radio broadcaster for the New Orleans Saints and the New Orleans Pelicans, joins The Finsiders to share his perspective on Kenny Stills, the young wide receiver that the Dolphins traded for on Friday.
    Hear Kelley speak about Stills’ good hands and well-rounded set of skills.
    oak.ctx.ly/r/2n1jp

Brian in NY says:
    March 16, 2015 at 7:04 pm

It’s essential that one of them starts. We can’t be in the position of having to find two starting guards this season. It’ll be another 45+ sacks on Tannehill.

pppffffttt, what the hell do you know. dont you listen to randy. it doesnt matter who the guards are it is all tanny’s footwork.

herdfan says:
    March 16, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Great job with the article Son.

i thought it rather sucked. got to admit i was a little disappointed to not hear about grandpa shula and how his chin would stick out thru the santa beard.

I feel like they were grooming Turner to start at OG in year 2

So I have him penciled in as starter

We still need a other OG

I agree but I never thought we’d target the top guard in FA. I’m sure we’ll pick one up along the way. Happens all the time late in the game of FA.

Nicely written saga Son.. ” I believe better times lay ahead and we are headed right for them” as well… As some wre debating/discussing, this years FO seems to be doing all THEY can to turn this franchise around , and not just for this year.. again, if the wheels fall off with injuries again, it cannot be said They did not put in an effort..

Trying to find “expiry date on Transition tag.. Came a cross this…

In 2011, the NFL and NFLPA ratified a new collective bargaining agreement. In this agreement, poison pill clauses were eliminated from offer sheets issued to players under the transition tag. The specific language in the CBA states:

“No Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no ‘poison pills’).”

Al in MIA says:
    March 16, 2015 at 3:44 pm

We are always here for ya Rock..>Cheers! Enjoy the rest of your day. Just work out like crazy to de-stress 🙂

Thanks Al, Maybe I should try that instead of chain smoking 2 packs a day? Would certainly be better for me AND make me more appealing to the fairer sex…….Probably wont happen. 😦

• manitobafinfan says:

Hey Dont discount the Chain smoking, saves on food and promotes weight loss.. LOL … I dont want to be labelled a Quitter !! 🙂

from the NFL PA Website

The 2015 NFL salary cap is confirmed at $143.28 million.

Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, each club has the option to carry over unused cap space from the prior League Year.

Team Carryover Adjustments 2015 Salary Cap 2015 Adjusted Team Salary Cap

Dolphins $7,770,411 $1,876,526 $143,280,000 $152,926,937

Stanger & Al, you are both right in a way. In my experience (have had more than a few breakups and this is my second divorce) the “rebound” certainly had helped heal the scar over so to speak. Also have a couple of close female friend (non sexual) helped a lot. I seem to NEED that yin to my yang and after thirteen years of not pursuing or maintaining those relationships I don’t even have a clue how to. I’m don’t just mean logically, but instinctively kind of you know.

I USED to have the wrap and could talk to anyone, anywhere about anything. Right now I can’t think of anything to say. (in the moment) I have been out trying to practice my interpersonal skills, mostly on serving staff at the places I go to. It’s funny because it is part of my job as an estimator. I need to be a salesman and make the clients like me to get work, but at 5:30 that part shuts off. LOL

I was out the other night getting dinner at Alehouse and this guy at the bar was just being a COMPLETE TOOL obnoxiously hitting on every girl there with the most tired used lines that I was embarrassed and I didn’t even know the guy. But you know what? He got two phone numbers in the 1 1/2 hours I sat there. I was like REALLY? REALLY? WTF? It was amazing to see the girls who knew he was a cheeseball get worn down by his constant……..harassment is the best I could describe it.

The numbers were to a gay phone site!
      😉

I mean MAYBE the numbers were 555-1212, but they may have been the chicks real digits too.

• manitobafinfan says:

Its like the old line, you walk up to ten girls in a bar and say Ya wanna Fuck ?? you will get slapped nine times, and laid once.. Rock In no way am i suggesting you go that direction, like Tim said, you will know when you are ready when you are.. Hang in there Shit happens for a reason.. Been there lost the t-shirts and the closet… 🙂

Section14.
    Signing
    Period for
    Transition
    Players:
    (a)
    In the event that a player who is designated and tendered as a Transition Player
    has not signed a Player Contract with a club by July 22 in the League Year
    follow­ing the expiration of his last Player Contract,
    the Prior Club shall be the only Club with which the player may negotiate
    or sign a Player Contract during the period from such date until the Tuesday
    following the tenth week of the regular season,at 4:00pm New York time

If a Transition Player has not signed a player Contract by the Tuesday
    following the tenth week of the regular season, the player shall
    be prohibited from playing for the remainder of that year

(i.e., no ‘poison pills’).”

they just need to start naming these clauses “cheatriot 1.1” and so on and so on

is there another team in the league that has caused as many rule changes as the cheats

So in a nutshell Clay is ours this year until we decide he isnt…

Tool: (calls girl’s number)
    Answer: Angelino’s!!!
    Tool: What?
    Angelino’s: What can I get ya?
    Tool: Is this, Michelle?
    Angelino’s: What the fucka youa talkin abouta, pickup or delivery, what can I get ya?
    Tool: (hangs up)
    Angelino’s: Son ofa bitcha!!!

tim

it is more like this

Tool: calls number
    Angelino’s: (sees caller id) ‘dammit ffr, how many times you going to fall for the same shit’

Rockphin says:
    March 16, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Does anyone IN the league ever sit back for a moment and think about it??

aaahhhh, yeah. this tool. didnt i just ask the question. i have been saying for a while now. this the nwf. they are no better. what has the cheats done yet this off season? nothing? yet i am willing to bet as long as tammy is there, they get ther 12-14 wins and a top seed in the playoffs.

tim

‘But used-to-be’s don’t count anymore
    They just lay on the floor ’til we sweep them away’

(or in this case, tuck them away)

Have a good night Y’all..

44. Al in MIA says:

Agree GDP on Anthony. He’s currently nfldraftscout’s 46 overall rated player in the draft.

Your score is: 6039 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 17 (S.D.): DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 16 (S.D.): Anthony Harris, SS/FS, Virginia (B+)
    Round 4 Pick 15: B.J. Finney, C, Kansas State (A)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Jake Ryan, OLB/ILB, Michigan (B)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss (A)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Tyler Varga, FB, Yale (A)

Good story Son!!!

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 14: La’el Collins, OT/OG, LSU (A)
    Round 2 Pick 19 (HOU): Denzel Perryman, ILB/OLB, Miami (Fla.) (B)
    Round 3 Pick 18 (HOU): Damarious Randall, FS, Arizona State (A)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina (A)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss (A)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Andy Gallik, C, Boston College (A)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland (C-)

Wow!!!

This seems to be the beginning of a new trend. Guys saying it’s not worth it.

Wyoming, you’re the First-Pick guru man….lol

Borland & Willis retiring from the 49’ers really hurts them….wish we saved Wheeler to trade to them, and even Ellerbe, although I’m liking the Kenny Stills pickup as a result.

I hope Suh sends some Patsies into early retirement too 😉

SON-OF-A-SON: Just a terrific story!! –Sorry I’ve been unable to congratulate you earlier, but it’s been one of those days in my household.
    ————
    It’s absolutely amazing how many people who developed allegiances to pro teams in the ’70’s chose to become fans of the Miami Dolphins. -IN Florida, sports fans couldn’t get enough of them! -For most of the decade, the Fins were the ONLY pro sports franchise in the entire state!–And NONE of our colleges had won a single championship in ANY major sport! –But OUTSIDE Florida, the Dolphins also developed an impressive array of fanatic supporters. Many who became Fin fans during the ’70’s STAYED Fin Fans through the -80’s as Miami made it to Super Bowl XVII and Super Bowl XIX. During the height of Dan Marino’s career, Me and Mrs. OD witnessed the huge numbers of Dolfans who greeted the team when they played in Indy, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincy and other places were we travelled to see our beloved Fins. –They were a phenomenon!
    ————
    AGAIN, nice job, SON, for bringing back the magical feeling of the glory years.

53. Try Pod says:

For you La-a fan

The Niners will clearly be in the market for a ILB this upcoming draft. A good fit for them? Everyone’s favorite 2nd round pick for us: Denzel Perryman. The Niners pick one spot ahead of us in the 2nd .

With UCLA right there they may be in play for Kendricks. He is very Borlandesque

Perryman may fall to the 3rd. He’s short at 5-11, weighed in at 236 and ran a 4.8.

Before anyone goes crazy, Zach Thomas at 5-10 225 and 4.8ish went 5th rd in 1996. 🙂

You don’t draft question marks in the 1st round or even 2nd, you take the top off the talent available and go from there.

There is always a debate that goes on with later picks. Choose football players or athletes in the later rounds?

I say do both from the 5th on. I think in the top 4 you try to scrape up the best athletes who are built to compete at their positions in the NFL.

55. Try Pod says:

East/West College Bowl – Key & Peele: https://youtu.be/gODZzSOelss

Am I wrong or do the Bills have to offer Clay a 3-year deal worth $21+M or 4 year $28+M to exceed Miami’s one year transitional tag at over $7M

I think that’s the issue with BUF taking so long. They don’t know how to do it and don’t want to. It would be done by now if it was that easy.

My guess is we’re leery of Clay’s knee issue and would prefer a 2 year deal like Jordan Cameron signed.

Clay could sign the one year transition tag and make more than twice as much money in one year in Miami than he did on his first NFL contract at about $3M over 4 years. He wins either way.

Brian & Steve…yeah I know Wheeler wasn’t a true match for 49’ers, that Borland & Willis played inside in their 3-4 scheme. Word is Mangini might switch to a 4-3, he may be forced to now…lol