Dolphins News 3/20/15

If you don’t know by now the Dolphins signed some guy by Suh.  Rumor has it Suh writes down 5 ways to squash Tom Brady before he goes to bed every night.  Rumor also has it Tom Brady is looking into legally changing his name to “Fleshy Pulp Brady”.  Also some people have mentioned that Suh has signed a big contract.  Here is a link to how much he will get paid and what the salary cap ramifications will be.

Suh-thinker-1024x743

Oh, and the Dolphins signed some on else too.  His name is “Something Something not Suh”  read about it here:

McCain

No more Mike Wallace but welcome Kenny Stills.  Stills is a former 5th round pick for the Saints who doesn’t care what you think of his hair

Kenny-Stills-Hair

Devante Parker is going on a World Tour of NFL teams.  Everything your Mother told you about saving the best for last is a lie!

Parker4

Kevin Nogle of the Phinsiders, a great source of information, reports WR Michael Crabtree, QB Tavaris Jackson, and C J.D. Walton  all visted with the Dolphins on the 19th.  Read Nogle’s report at the original source here:

Crabtree

Want to relive a rumor about trading for Evan Mathis.  For a few minutes some believed this was going to happen.  I would love to see it happen but the Dolphins have shot down those rumors.

Evan Mathis

Scientists Confirm Buffalo is made of Poop

(No Link Available)

BillsSuck

Aside | This entry was posted in Dolphins News. Bookmark the permalink.

458 Responses to Dolphins News 3/20/15

LOL I love the New Buffalo logo!

Another rumor from John Clayton says that the dolphins and Michael Crabtree are close to a deal For 3.5 to 4 million dollars Per season

• Brian in NY says:

Ugh. That’s tto much money for him IMO. Mostly because I don’t want him on the team. If it’s only a one year contract I can live with it.

• jahndoh says:

Dude is more productive than Hartline and Gibson combined, and younger too. We shed 11M in contracts and replace the production with 3.4-4M.

Come on folks, get your head around this, it’s a very smart signing (if it’s true).

I think Crabtree could be a great sign!
    He’s been in the league long enough to get all the “WOW I’m Rich” shit out of his system
    he catches the ball!
    In traffic – yep
    tippy toes on the sideline – yep
    End zone – yep

Attitude – yep
    you can’t have everything!

4. dbolt48 says:

Brian,
    I’m not a huge Crabtree fan. When you compare him to the WRs we let go of his game fits this offense much better. He catches better on contact, runs better overall routes, better RAC ability, and his a bigger redzone threat because of his catch on contact ability. I had preferred if they brought in a vet it would be Nicks or Jennings, but I have a feeling Lazor might be giving his insight on what he wants & Crabtree fits that. I remember that both Hickey & Philbin asked for his input in what he needed in an OT and he was a major reason in going after James in round one.

5. convict says:

Not a Crabtree fan – but I think he’s better than Hartline. Stills/Landry/Crabtree is a bit underwhelming. Not sure we go WR in the 1st or 2nd given that we effectively used a 3rd on one. Time will tell.

Been a bit of an odd offseason so far.

6. Try Pod says:

Not sure who to thank for writing this, though the humor tends to make me think it was Son. Either way, thanks! And since it didn’t cover things like 40 times and 20 cone drills, I actually read it!

Convict

That’s actually a good point, about the 3rd RD pick, especially if we do sign Crabby. That’s kind of what I was afraid of. I’d rather NOT sign Crabtree, and draft a WR in RD1 or RD2

This was a Piggy piece.

Hey we need someone to write a fan origin for Monday. Somebody step up, please.

I don’t mind if Crabtree was a Dolphin but I still want us to draft a young receiver as I think the receiver class this year offers the best value compared to most positions.

I agree Son. If we sign Crabs, and don’t draft a WR, I’ll be disappointed, but then again, I’m almost always disappointed with our drafts.

Piggs, you shouldn’t be so down on Perriman. He’s a solid receiver and if he has drops you should consider that when UCF QB’s are under pressure (and that is often) they many times just chuck it in Perriman’s direction. So balls get thrown to him when he breaks off his route, or erratic throws come in his direction and makes a superb effort to even attempt to make a play out of it.
    He has excellent speed and size. He has a huge catch radius and fight off dbs with his strength. He’s as solid as anyone in the draft and doesn’t deserve your pig pooh.
    I’ve seen him up close for three years now, come on man, trust a non-pigs eyes.

I’d be very happy with Perriman in the 2nd. Collins or Scherff RD 1, and Perriman RD 2

I hate O-line at 14 unless we really needed a Tackle. I get why its an option but I hate it. I’d rather have Gurley at 14 or DGB. I want explosiveness, a playmaker, a difference maker, a stud.

Even Gurley needs holes to run through. You want Gurley in the 1st and then Perriman in the 2nd?

Yes. We have the great Benton as our O-line coach I want to see Lemonade made out of our lemons. And I want difference makers and there are difference makers available.

I don’t think signing Crabtree means we won’t draft a WR. It might not be in the 1st rd though because you could argue we would have 3 legit WRs already.

Son

I can see that side too. I still think we need an OG, and I worry about Branden Albert not being ready to start the season, or worse, so that’s why I like La’el Collins. If Albert isn’t ready, I’m gonna be honest, I don’t love the plan of James at LT and Fox at RT.

It could be worse, we could have Dallas Thomas at RT. Oh wait a minute.

Come on the guy played a handful of games there, he can improve. Our whole O is supposed to improve because its the second year in the O. I want to see improvement from our young players.

Son:
        Thomas was horrible at OT. I never want to see him at OT again. I think he can play OG and he looks much more natural at OG but never again at OT. He is going to get Tannehill killed.

• dbolt48 says:

I’d flip Turner to LT before Collins, but I think BA will be ready. We do need another OG in my opinion, but the staff might be higher on Thomas than me. There are some really good OG prospects this year. I’m just wondering if the team is holding out on the Saints moving Jhari Evans.

Fucking Bills.

Not happy about losing Clay. I get it because of cap numbers but he is a real weapon, losing him is bad enough, losing him to a divisional rival is even worse.

We now have lots of cap space now that Clay’s 7 million came off our books. I wonder what if any moves this generates.

There will be quality WRs in the 2nd rd too.

Yes but top 3-4 of this draft could be special.

Potentially yes, but I’ve seen this before and maybe one turns out to be real good and then a couple from the 2nd and 3rd rounds end up better than the rest.

We need WRs who are either big threats in the red zone or explosive YAC types.

The best way to nullify great pass rushers is to run right at them. Gurley. Bills and stej rush the passer well. Gurley. The best way to beat NE is to control the clock. Gurley. NE lost Wilfork. Gurley. The best way to beat Brady is inside pressure. SUH.

I am big Gurley fan but I think more important is the OL and in particular an OG. I am comfortable with Lamar Miller as our feature back. But I would not complain if we go after Gurley.

I would not be happy with a RB in the 1st rd, especially one coming off of a knee injury.

21. twicethethe says:

I’m ok with Crabtree if the price is right. Here’s an pro-Crabtree video calling for (with some specific video examples) for the 49ers to keep Crabtree:

22. dbolt48 says:

Ken says:
    March 20, 2015 at 9:34 am
    Yes but top 3-4 of this draft could be special.
    Ken,
    I’ll put Agholor, Perriman, Coates, Hardy, Smelter, & Strong as players who have just as good of a chance to be special WRs in this draft.

Strong I consider # 4 and agree he can be special. I like some of the other guys you mention, in particular Coates, but I just see them as a level below the top 4 guys in this draft.

• dbolt48 says:

I actually have Agohlor behind White, but on par with Cooper on my list. I have Parker, then Strong after that. Pure potential of Perriman & Coates is just as high as that of White. I think if Hardy was a tad bit taller there would be a much higher premium on him than both String and Parker. It would not shock me if he outperforms Strong & Parker right out of the shoot.

I predict we sign crabtree and go oline and lb or cb with our first 2 picks.

Here is the problem
      Who is the lb?
      who is the cb?
      if Scherf and Collins ar eoff the board by 14, who is the OL?

Maybe Kendric at 14…But I think that is way too high for him
      Maybe Waynes at 14…but he will probably be gone and he’s not a great fit for our scheme
      Maybe Marcus Peters….on the other hand not a chance

I don;t think Peat and Flowers, the next best OL, will be very effective at OG
      and I don;t really think either are great players for the 14th pick

I’m guessing no matter who we sign, its intended to leave us with a chance to get BPA at 14

I bet we sign a veteran OG soon

I would love to know which WRs we have high on our board. I don’t remember anyone mentioning Landry last year before we drafted him.

• dbolt48 says:

I think almost everyone including me went right away from him after his combine & really didn’t balance it out with his pro day. 4.77 40 with a small vertical to go with not having a massive frame scared most people right there. Sometimes the numbers scare you from the onfield production.

Yep, I was so focused on size and/or speed he totally flew under my radar.

His intangibles so outweigh his measureables it was a good learning lesson. There are WRs that have the size and speed and not anywhere near the fire, work ethic, ball skills, route running and toughness that Landry has. We’ve seen plenty of examples of that over the years. That’s why I love the 2nd round because that’s where you find these kind of guys why everyone is gaga over the big impressive specimens.

I think I had him ranked 13 or 14th best WR on my final rankign before the draft

I didn;t have him very high

I guess I can take a closer look at Perriman

P

I just looked it up
    I had Landry ranked #15 best WR in the 2014 draft last year

I listed a ranking int he Oinkfather finale

I had Marquis Lee above Odell Beckham too…..oops

Crabtree played in 79 games, has an average of 4.39 receptions per game, an average of 12.5 yards per reception and averages a TD every three games. Not huge numbers but not garbage either. For a full 16 games that would give him an average of 70 receptions, 878 yards and 5/6 touchdowns. In his best season, 2012 he had 85 receptions for 1,105 yards and 9 touchdowns.

piggy,
    from all the mocks I’ve seen one of those players will be available.either Kendric, peters, waynes, collins, or schref. I just don’t think we go WR at 14 unless one of the top 3 falls to us. Even then I think these other positions will take priority. A safety might be the pick.

IMO the FO will be content going into the season with the receivers we have. Maybe add a late rounder or 2 to the mix.

There is a good chance Parker (who I think is top 3) falls to us

I think you can cross peters off that list
      but Collins and Scherf might be ranked ahead of Parker on our board
      Waynes is a little tricky – b/c in his case, I think he has potential to be a top tier player – but I’m not sure our coaching staff wants him b/c of the scheme fit issue
      There is only one safety (Collins) that is first round worthy and I don;t think 14 is a good spot for him
      Same with Kendricks and the LB position (unless you count pass rushers)

where does he get this shit?

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly · 3h 3 hours ago
    I’m pretty sure Joe Philbin’s a little queasy about the kind of veteran he adds to the WR room, especially since most didn’t like Tannehill.

I watched a video of him and Perkins yesterday and I had to turn it off. They looked like two yenta clowns giggling and looking anything but professional. The scary thing is Omar knows more about football than Perkins.

4 out of 5 WRs prefer Garrard.

With all the media focus on the team and Tanny, I have yet to catch even a whiff of anyone on the team not like him as a person.

Disgruntled babies on the way out saying stupid shit.

• dbolt48 says:

The issue is you had WRs who didn’t like losing touches, getting replaced by a rookie, & not getting contract incentives based on the new offense. You had a QB who had to run the offense these guys didn’t like. Now you put Omar’s two pennies in with Miko the Wallace apologist & you get to see their agenda clear as day.

Boulder, a later round type WR I keep harping on is Darren Waller 6’6 240 runs a 4.46, 6.98 cone, 37″ vertical, nice hands. He was my sleeper early on, but after his Pro Day, he isn’t a sleeper. He could move up the boards some.
    He’s everything we’d want and likely get out of Crabtree and more. I say get him & groom him for a year.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

we’ve had good luck with those late round receivers. I think even if we do sign crabtree we still add a couple of late round and UFA receivers to the mix. We have to.

GD, like I pointed out in the past, Crabtree has more TDs than Hartline and Gibson combined since 2009 when they were all drafted.

My WR rankign right now would probably be

White
    Parker
    Cooper
    Strong
    DGB
    Coates
    Angholor
    Perriman
    Funchness
    Green

Then its gets a little fuzzy
    I like guys like Mayle and Diggs who aren;t ranked very high

I have Coates pretty high
    but I think he has big bust potential too as does Funchness

I liek Strong better than Parker and Cooper but I have to have him at 4 b/c I think we are now at a point wiere the consesus top 3 are Parker, Cooper and White

WOW, this is what I said days ago about Strong. Guess me & Cosell see things the same way here anyhow.

After watching Arizona State WR Jaelen Strong’s college tape, NFL Films’ Greg Cosell believes Strong doesn’t maximize his speed because he is an unrefined route runner.
    Draftniks were shocked when Strong ran 4.44 at the Combine; he doesn’t play that fast. Cosell believes this can be fixed. “He’s a kid that needs to tighten his route running quite a bit,” said Cosell. “Lot of wasted motion in his route running, which prevents him from maximizing his speed. My guess is that can be taught.” Cosell praised Strong for “very, very good body control” and his ability to win contested catches. Strong is a polarizing prospect, but should be a top-50 pick.

This is pretty much the standard take on Strong. He needs to improve his route running is in almost every scouting report on Strong.

I also like Devante Davis as a late or undrafted WR. He’s big and is an animal once he catches the ball trying to run over people.

Dbolt, when I saw Gibson speaking up for Diva and saying what he did, my first thought was good luck with your new team. Good riddance!

Ken, how about Geremy Davis the UConn senior WR. You get to see much of him play? He looks like a nice very late round or UDFA pick up. I like his scouting report.

I didn’t watch that much UCONN football this year because that team was so bad they were almost unwatchable. I watched a lot more Yale football this year because that team was fun to watch. Now ask me about Tyler Varga.

If Clayton is right on the $3.5 – $4 mil, the question becomes are two Crabtrees worth one Clay? I’d say yes.

I don’t think Strong plays fast
    I’m a little lost on the obsession over hsi speed though

Stanger, gotcha! But you can’t view Crabtree as comparable to Clay because one is a WR and the other is a FB/H-back/TE. Two different beasts. What Crabtree gives us is a vet WR who can help us move the chains and be a red zone target. I don’t see the move as a counter to losing Clay, it’s to have 3 legit WRs in our 3 WR sets. Matthews will still have to compete for playing time. It also doesn’t mean we won’t draft a WR.

They are both receiving options though. And if we had kept Clay the need to get stronger at wideout would have been diminished cause we would have played more 2 TE sets. So there is some trade off.

But they I look at it we have so much money and high draft picks and a number of spots to fill. Not sure we could have done it if we kept Clay unless we were willing to take risks in other areas.

Clay has nothing to do with our 3 WR sets though. The Cameron signing was to counter Clay. Maybe who we targeted at WR dollar-wise changed once we let Clay walk, but it doesn’t effect the formations. Sims and Cameron will be the 2-TE sets.

Have to figure having Clay would influence how much we use them though. When NE had both Gronk and Hernandez they sure used them a lot more.

Utah cornerback and safety Eric Rowe is scheduled to visit the Miami Dolphins before the NFL draft, according to league sources.
    Rowe also has visits with the Detroit Lions and Baltimore Ravens and private workouts with the Houston Texans and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Rowe has excellent size at 6 feet 1, 205 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds at the NFL scouting combinel.

At the combine, Rowe had a 39-inch vertical leap, a 10-5 broad jump, a 6.70 three-cone drill, a 3.97 short shuttle and 19 repetitions of 225 pounds in the bench press test.

NFL teams have varied on whether Rowe projects best to cornerback or safety.

A three-year starter at free safety and a former freshman All-American, Rowe moved to cornerback for his senior year.

He had 13 pass breakups last season with one interception, 59 tackles, three for losses, a fumble recovery and a blocked field goal. He was a two-time honorable-mention All-Pac-12 selection.

42. dbolt48 says:

March 20, 2015 at 11:10 am
    Clayton said we are likely to sign Crabtree for that amount, which happens to be just about half of what Clay’s yearly is in his new contract.
    Be careful of Clayton. He reported that prior to Crabtree leaving without a deal. I have a feeling Miami made him a 1yr prove it offer with no roster guarantee & he may have said “not at this time”. I think no matter what a WR is going to be an early target & it holds true if we still had Clay or not.

That’s true…….the report might have been just about what was offered. And agree that even if we do sign him there is still another wideout in our future, might influence how and where he comes though.

I’ve been wanting to take a look at him. Now it’s almost a must, so we can stick it to the Jills.

The Buffalo News reports the Bills were interested in signing free agent Jermaine Gresham in addition to Charles Clay.
    Buffalo backed off after it was revealed Gresham needed surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back on Thursday.

Stanger, losing Clay may have changed some of the ways we used him and we’ll revise that for what Cameron does well. We might have Sims on the field more often as a blocker for the running game this year and then try to sneak him out here and there. So losing Clay will likely change some stuff we ran last year, but a lot of that was put in because of what he brought to the table.

As far as what the 3 WRs do, I don’t think much changes.

I completely agree Tim. Was only saying that with Clay there we would go 2 TE more often, especially on possible passing downs. And if you go three WR less often then the need is not as great to concentrate on the very best 3rd/4th receivers. Only so much ball to go around.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly · 1h1 hour ago
    Dion Sims caught 8 passes for 99 yards in the 2 games Charles Clay was sidelined. That equates to 64 receptions for 792 yards over 16 games

That’s not bad if he lives up to the projection!

He definitely progressed last year. Will be interesting to see if we bring in another TE.

Sims showed surprising speed getting down the field and could have had two more big plays had he caught the ball when Tanny put it right on the money.

The 2015 safety class is weak—both in free agency and the draft—which has me continually digging through more games to find a legitimate future starter talent. Damarious Randall is a legitimate future starter. He’s built like a cornerback but is physical, fast and has the range to play centerfielder in the NFL. It’s dangerous to compare anyone to Devin McCourty, but they have serious similarities in their movements and style.

The great debate continues . . . . O-line, RB, WR or LB. We have a representative for each of those. I think WR is in the lead, but we have O-line close behind, followed by LB and then RB.

I don’t see it as a reality!
      But if either Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon are there in the 2nd it will throw a HUGE monkey fuckin wrench in the works!

Honestly I think it depends what is on the board

I have the Pork Board set up like this
      1. Kevin White
      2. Scherf
      3. Collins
      4. Parker
      5. Cooper
      6. Strong
      7 Waynes
      8. Kendricks

I guess I can throw in Shaq Thompon if I knew he was willing to play safety

The Pork Board changes everyday

48. dbolt48 says:

March 20, 2015 at 12:05 pm
    Like I said yesterday if he can prove tracking the ball over his shoulder he can become one helluva weapon

Good luck Cowpokes!

12Wyoming
    (25-9, 11-7 MW)
    VS
    5Northern Iowa
    (30-3, 16-2 MVC)

I don’t view RB as a ‘need’ at all. I think the plan is Miller and Williams. Both guys caught the ball well last year and that fits what we’re looking to do with our one-back sets. I think Miller’s touches will go up a little bit and Williams’ quite a bit.

We’ll likely bring in a few RBs to compete but I’d be shocked if it was the 1st or 2nd round.

Stanger, we might see Sims at TE and Cameron as one of the 3 WRs too.

I assume from what I know of him that splitting Cameron out will be an option from the 2 TE sets.

Yep, the same 2-TE morphing that we could do with Clay, just some different routes that fit what Sims and Cameron do well.

March 20, 2015 at 12:05 pm

HOG WASH. everyone but your blind tanny loving ass knows tanny never puts it right on the money. now just stop it before viking boy has to come here and explain how bad tanny is

Robi ‏@Robi2184 · 10m10 minutes ago
    Unconfirmed reports the #Dolphins didn’t make an offer to WR Michael Crabtree.

I can confirm with 100% accuracy
    That I don’t have a clew what is going on in the Dolphins front office!
    😉

great i am the freak yet someone can post pictures of him in a bath tub.

I don’t want Shaq Thompson. He appears to want to play LB, and I don’t want him as a LB, and definitely don’t want him as a S.

56. dbolt48 says:

Difference between our second year WRs:

@God_Son80: Be bold.. Not because everyone will see that, but because maybe you’ll see yourself. #TheWorldIsYours

@MattHazel_: I need tickets to the Heat and Hawks game

@MattHazel_: I hope Hampton beat Kentucky

@MattHazel_: Been cuttin hine in madden all day!

@MattHazel_: @JNEW_11 @ZachKerr94 @ReppinColts1287 I’ll be back in the A on Sunday we can get it in madden

Love this response by a random fins fan
    @FinsFanIn813: “@MattHazel_: I need tickets to the Heat and Hawks game” #PracticeSquadProblems lmaooo

I my version of the Pork Board I have

1. Kevin White
    2. Cooper
    3. Scherf
    4. Parker
    5.Waynes
    6. Strong
    7 Kendricks
    8. Gurley
    108. Collins

Not too far off from Piggy.

• jahndoh says:

Funny because I think he’s got Collins right, but Strong and Kendricks need to be swapped on both your boards, and I don’t think there’s a snowballs chance in hell we draft Shaq Thompson with a position change in the works for him, at 14.

• New Age says:

Lol, I like Collins but not quite that high. Trying to bust Mike E a bit with his rank. I agree with the Strong Kendricks swap and I dont even like Thompson in the 2nd. I really like Kendricks a lot and think, SF targets him at 15 if we don’t(i don’t think we will)

There’s an idiot with pure evil in his heart. Pitiful !

Ex-NFL S Darren Sharper has been charged with rape in Las Vegas.
    One of the best safeties of his era, Sharper has been revealed as a serial rapist in his post-playing days. He allegedly drugs women before sexually assaulting them, and has been in jail in Los Angeles for over a year. The 39-year-old also faces rape charges in New Orleans and Arizona in addition to L.A. and Vegas.

Yeah I was shocked to hear that when this first came. He was on NFL Network, he’s a good looking dude who has money and had a successful NFL career. He obviously enjoyed this evil hunt he went on.

Wasn’t there another guy involved with him?

• jahndoh says:

It’s such a serious charge that I am uncomfortable assuming any former team mate who may have partied with him and/or picked up girls at a bar, are co-conspirators.

Gonna wait til it all comes out and hope his evil was all his own.

I like Crabtree because he helps balance our team so that we get BPA and don’t have obvious holes going in the draft. He also catches and blocks pretty good which we will need if we actually keep a running game.

I would like Jennings or another vet WR that is solid and isn’t too old. Crabtree is a younger option though so I do like that a lot.

New Age

What don’t you like about Collins?

61. jahndoh says:

Wyo…I freakin LOVED your mock yesterday with the Trade back for Kendricks in the first and Agholar in the 2nd (yes Dbolt, I’m getting my head around it. I think I like him better than Strong actually…Strong keeps slipping on my board. He’s just not a good route runner, and that’s not a good thing in this offense, or really, any offense if you’re expecting him to contribute in his rookie year. Cordarrelle Patterson has talent in spades over Strong, but he can’t run routes either.

Thanks Jahn

• jahndoh says:

No problem. It’s kind of my ideal scenario. We get starters at two positions and still have another 2nd to spend (which is better than the 3rd we gave up for Stills).

I think Kendricks behind Suh is literally the best possible situation. I think Tim has started to soften on Kendricks, but Tim, if I could influence ya further, I’d encourage you to reflect on your comment about Landry and how you so focused on size and speed he fell off your radar. Instincts at MLB are everything!

• dbolt48 says:

LOL. Outside of the school there’s no drawback to Agholor😆

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP · 51s51 seconds ago
    LaMichael James resigns with #Dolphins

I also really like Agholor. Probably my favorite 2nd round option at WR. I like him better than Perriman TBH. A Collins/ Agholor set would be pretty solid IMO

• dbolt48 says:

You might laugh at this but Id be willing to bet Agholor is either the number 2 or 3 WR on Miami’s board. He and Cooper are probably 1&2.

64. dbolt48 says:

@AlbertBreer: The Dolphins are re-signing starting S Louis Delmas, per source.

We have over $22 mil in dead money on the books for this year right now, most in the NFL.

Flip side of that is we only currently have about $2 mil for 2016. We might add to that before then, but sounds like we will have some extra non-player money to put towards next year’s team (or absorb some of the hit from Suh’s big number next year).

• jahndoh says:

And still somewhere near 15m in free cap space…all that matters. I applaud them taking all the dead cap hits this year instead of doing the kick the can thing and a bunch of June 1st designations which would have taken us out of the #1 ranking which I put no stock in whatsoever. 😉

I think they are planning on signing Tanny to a long-term contract next year with a low-first year number and a big 2nd-year one just like Suh’s. So Tanny’s big hit would come in 2017, same year in which Suh’s drops by $13 mil.

What fake accounts can get for you!

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout · 6m6 minutes ago
    How to not use Twitter. RT @NDTScouting I’m sure this will go over well.

View photo 0 retweets 0 favorites

Tom Ernisse ‏@ternisse13 · 2m2 minutes ago
    Dolphins resign Delmas and LaMichael James. currently in negotiations with Crabtree @DolphinsTalk http://www.dolphinstalk.com/2015/03/dolphins-resigning-louis-delmas.html?m=1

• Try Pod says:

Does going after and signing Crabtree greatly lessen the likelihood of drafting a receiver with the first? Am I way off?

• New Age says:

Not necessarily. We lost 3 and only picked up one so far.

I think it would open the draft up to more options if nothing else!

I hate being pigeonholed into a major need pick!

WR or OL or DT

leaves the BPA option open 🙂

f you omar

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly · 5m 5 minutes ago
    The Miami Dolphins have re-signed LaMichael James, who gained 9 yards on 3 carries last season.

I knew re-signing Delmas was going to happen

70. jahndoh says:

I know we’re more of a “middle aged” demographic here, so for those who don’t know. Rohypnol (Roofies) is also a very commonly used recreational drug, for both men and women in the club scene these days. It takes large doses to culminate in amnesia, but in smaller doses it acts as an alcohol enhancement..as though you need more then alcohol! LOL!

It adds a level of complexity to the Harper case, and the discussion of who may or may not have been involved with him when it comes to the criminal rape allegations.

I guess I’m saying, I read a story that Reggie Bush had partied with him once, and thought I should be careful assuming Reggie Bush is also a rapist. I think part of it is that in general I’ve considered Reggie Bush to be a fairly classy guy. You never know of course. I’m just a dude passing judgment from his keyboard at the end of the day.

Gotta get working
    Later haters

14: R1P14 WR KEVIN WHITE WVU
    47: R2P15 RB TODD GURLEY GEORGIA
    111: R4P15 G ALI MARPET HOBART
    141: R5P13 S JAQUISKI TARTT SAMFORD
    142: R5P14 OLB MAX VALLES VIRGINIA
    175: R6P15 CB QUANDRE DIGGS TEXAS

You guys are killing me the Jaelen Strong route running criticism. I think you are just running with what some socuts are saying. And while I think you have to give it weight – don;t get carried away with it. Their job is to pick apart prospects and route running seems to be the go to.

Hoenstly I do not know how to evaluate route runnign when I watch clips of a guy. How do you know the design of the play? How do you know if the WR ran the route well? I take it most of you are reading a scouts report and drawing that conclusion – which is reasonable. But I’m not sure how to critique route runnign by watching clips

I do think Strong does an excellent job setting up the DB before the snap and setting up the DB before the ball arrives. I tried to touch on this in the Wedge report – but appearentlyyou guys don’t agree. You can see that on the clips. And this is not the kind of thing that is not a raw physical talent – that is a savy skill that the best WRs int he game like Jerry Rice were exceptional at. Jerry Rice made every route look the same until the moemtn it wasn’t the same. I’m not comparing Rice to Strong, I’m just suggestign Strong is skilled and NOT raw

I think the raw thing is just a JUCO trasnfer stereotype. All JUCO transfers hear it – just like maturity issues. Its not always true

Again: ASU coaches have made it well know that Strong is the hardest working player on their team. There is a lot of skill with this guy. Its not just raw physicality.

He is a real WR. A #1 WR who can be a huge part of a passing offense. I see a lot of scouts comparing him to Marquis Colston. Strong may not exploit speed – but he is efffective without doing so

• Try Pod says:

Well, we both know you can’t trust socuts- I mean, consider the source.

• dbolt48 says:

As I’ve always said…prior to the combine & most scouts reports….I didn’t like how he came out of his breaks and that he needs to be coached up in route running. I still hold firm to that. I have however said I live his physical gifts and his ability high pointing the ball and catching on contact. I like him a lot and wouldn’t mind him at all in a Dolphins uniform.

Piggy loves him some Jaelen Strong. lol

LOL @ New Age and Delmas getting hurt signing his contract

‘He allegedly drugs women before sexually assaulting them’

well at least when he gets out he can have a second career as a jello spokeman

My only issue with Delmas is that he tore his knee late in the year. I like him as a player.

Did he cut his dreads?

Adam Beasley@AdamHBeasley
    Delmas; “I definitely know I’ll be ready for the first game of the season.”
    ———–
    Btwn him, Jones, Kovacs and Aikens seems we are set at S. Need an LB, and maybe a CB, but it is looking like we are gonna be real O heavy from now on.

Piggy going Strong for Jealen

We have two other safeties in D. Jones and Gary as well to compete.

Out of all those safeties we have, I don’t think there’s a special one in the bunch. JMO

Don’t know yet. I think Aikens could be a real good player. Gil Brandt likes him a lot.

Eh, Gil Brandt likes a LOT of players. I listen to nFL radio a lot, he has plenty-o-misses. I want a playmaker back there. I’d love to see what Holliman could do.

Mike E, all scouts have misses. Fans have even more. Holliman might suck monkey balls while Aikens is the real deal. LOL

Is the snow accumulating by you yet Tim? It looks like it’s starting to in the parking lot by my office.

Now it is, but it’s been really wet so it was melting on contact. It’s starting to stick to the cars now.

Delmas is coming back that’s one hole that still needs to be filled.

I am with Tim. I want to see Aikens get a shot at the S job this year. Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller on NFL radio were raving about how good they think Aikens can be.

I knew I heard Kirwan and someone else liked him too. Gil Brandt is another. Aiknes has good size, range, speed and he can tackle.

I think between Aikens, Thomas and Delmas the competition we need at S is there

If there is a S in the draft – we can take a look at him, but I think its less a priority now

Now go sign a vet OG or 2….Connolly and maybe the Eagles waive Mathis (Piggy dreams)

Piggy there are not that many routes receivers run. There are curls, skants, posts, outs, crossing, fly or deep. You also have double move but really this is just a variation if another route but meant to allow a route that wouldn’t normally be successful against man to be more successful against that coverage. There is tons of extra terminology but that’s pretty much the core.

When a person is said not to run good routes it usually means they dont wind up where they should so they force the qb to compensate by throwing to them not to place on the field they were supposed to be at. Example would be a crossing route where he winds up 5 yards deeper on the horizontal plan than where he initially made his break. You would know that wasn’t by design. Post routes have pretty specific locations that you would be given where you line up. Slants would be harder to tell except they are designed to exploit certain zones so if you weren’t crossing that zone right it would stand out. There are ways to spot bad route running and I’m sure some here have enough familiarity to spot it.

Ill be honest I have watch some game footage on him but I don’t know I have enough tape to know the truth. Most what I have seen is condensed game footage which cuts out or doesn’t focus on the non factors on that play. It’s more likely the plays where he doesn’t get the ball are the ones he ran it bad. I have seen some of his crossing routes that weren’t perfect but I also haven’t spotted egregious flaws in his routes either.

I think for me its just he seems more raw potential than some of the others where what ya see us most likely what you are going to get. The plus to that is that he may be even better once NFL trainers get a hold if him, so he might wind up better, but again he may not.

I’d rather have a raw route runner than a receiver who drops passes if this is really what the debate is about. I’d pick strong over oerriman.

Me oinking about Jaelen Strong

It’s also a weak draft for safeties and that’s probably why we’re acquiring them before hand.

Its not that weak for safeties Tim its just not top heavy. There are about 4 really solid guys but tons of guys good enough to draft 4-6

I agree

That’s why it’s a weak class. LOL

There are always guys who could be good in that range like Reshad Jones was in the 5th back in 2010. We might draft one in the 5th or 6th this year, but that’s not a strong range to add an impact player.

I think there’s one 1st RD S (Landon Collins), and then the rest will start coming off the board late 2nd RD early 3rd.

I think we pick up connolly or resign college unless his health is just that bad

I think Colledge is done.

• Al in MIA says:

The only real health issue was his migraines (code for concussion?). That to me is different than lets say, bad knees or what not. Colledge admitted that it affected him much late in the season. Perhaps he can return on the cheap.

You don’t need a concussion to have migraines. That could be a manageable condition. I’m sure he’ll be on our radar late in the game like most aging guys.

Mike E, there are a handful of safeties that will probably go 2nd and 3rd. Collins is kind of a throwback box safety who has limitations in coverage which to me is not a good thing. He might be real effective as a nickel LB.

92. dbolt48 says:

D says:
    March 20, 2015 at 3:08 pm
    Yeah, fuck that Oerriman kid! Is take Perriman over him & Strong😝

WOW I didn’t realize that Lamichael James was a 2nd round pick.

I wonder if we view him as a specialty back having some specific packages and plays for him and maybe has a KR ala Thigpen.

94. Al in MIA says:

Speaking of WR, I’d love nothing more than for the Fins to bring in DeAndre Smelter from GT. Coming off torn ACL late last year but this guys physical attributes are insane -> Only 6′-2 1/8″ but roughly 33″ arm length and 11″ hands! Develop that!

Also in the development, late round flyer group, I’d take a chance on Michigan’s Devin Gardner.
    For what he’s done in such a short amount of time, looks like he may pick up WR fast.

95. Al in MIA says:

Rockphin,
    EJ Manuel was a 1st RD pick (in regards to comments about you being shocked James being a 2nd RDer LOL). I’m just busting your chops…We all know how bad certain high picks can be (see Pat White 😦 )

96. Al in MIA says:

I hear ya on the migraines/concussion analysis but I’m simply saying that I can’t figure out the truth in statements about ‘migraines’ coming from the front office. Could be crap to avoid ‘concussion’ protocols but ya never know.

I don’t think they could do that. I’m sure doctors had to look at him and they know the difference between a migraine and a concussion.

97. dbolt48 says:

@GregLikens: Per a team source, the #Dolphins have re-signed QB Matt Moore

(Piggy coughs)

Now we are on a resigning

I guess we owe Clay some thanks for opening up this door to resign guys like Moore and Delmas

100. Try Pod says:

How can you tell if any defender coming out of college is really all that good? The game has de-emphasized defense so much. I think it may also artificially elevate lesser offensive talent.

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
    Yet another Dolphins signing: Matt Moore is coming back for 2015, according to a team source.

Ndamukong Suh ✔ @NdamukongSuh
    Giving a nod to the past while focusing on the future – bringing back #93 from my college days to the… https://instagram.com/p/0deR6CIpvR/

Boulder, no doubt they were Lions fans. My best guess is that they’re losers too. LOL

Looks like Matt Moore is content being a back-up. Either that or he didn’t get any compete offers. He’s still only 30.

105. Al in MIA says:

If Michael Crabtree signs with Miami, that will make it 3 ex-Niners from a year ago? James, Thomas, & Crabtree. I won’t bother including McLeod Bethel-Thompson who was with the Niners psquad in 2013 because he’s bounced around to a few teams.

106. Al in MIA says:

Im out for now, take care peeps 🙂

Person most sorry Suh is going back to #93…….Earl Mitchell.

I think Matt Moore and his family like it in Miami and making a few million isn’t exactly a shitty situation. He knows no matter where he goes they’ll always be looking to replace him. He probably doesn’t want to move his family every year.

Stanger, Suh wasn’t paying that for a #. Trusnik’s jersey was the easier and cheaper option. LOL

Trusnik is a different story — he was told he now has a new number by the guy who picks up the towels in the locker room.

No he’s a UFA who may or may not be back. Suh said, oh my college # isn’t taken, done! LOL

Welcome back M & M.

Welcome back Delmas. Come back strong. I used to tout ya as being what we need if you are on the field.

Some solid signings lately. Matt Moore just wants to feel appreciated for being Tannehill’s #1 fan. Lamichael James was resigned so we could trade him to Philly for a 5th(Go Ducks!!), and Delmas ensures that our DBs at least don’t regress from last year. Suh helps with that more than Gimpy does but still a solid signing.

Clay hurts but he just wanted to be a #1 WR for someone and there are few places bad enough that it would work out. Now he can be the first look for whatever garbage QB wins the competition in Buff. Go Rex! You make that team good for two years and then completely crush their options for next half decade. Is he being paid by Belicheat for his services or what?

Clay does hurt….he’s gonna still hurt in Buffalo too. Boy is that knee gonna act up in that frigid hell hole.

• New Age says:

Yeah, I support his decision to move on and think Cameron will be a solid replacement(or better).

I like Suh #93. I loved Ogunleye, I think he’s the last really good player we had that wore #93, and before him, it was Trace Armstrong. Both very good Miami Dolphins players

Q: What can Suh Do for You?

A: Disrupt & Cancel the Brady Bunch show.

Wtf weather
    Why do you snow on me?

New Age

Do you think Chip Kelley is willing to give up a 1st rounder for James?
    😉

Jd Walton is an interesting signing
    He started all 16 games for the giants last year
    But he was pretty much one of the wort starting centers in he NFL

I guess we have our backup

Anybody here live in Texas or Utah?

Here is our depth chart without the newest additions

Lots of room at WR, G and LB. Seems those are the only musts at this point, and we still have some cap room left. Not so bad heading into the draft.

It goes Niners, Cowboys, Steelers and then……
    List is of the teams that have won the most MNF games.
    ————————
    4. Miami Dolphins — 41 Wins

The Dolphins almost have a Monday Night Football victory in every year of the ’70s and the ’80s, but unfortunately for them and their fans, it’s just not quite there — they’re missing a victory in 1979 and one in 1989 to complete the full set. And, before their 13-16 overtime win over the New York Jets in Week 13 of this season, their last MNF victory came in 2009. They did manage one in 1999, too, otherwise this would’ve been a really peculiar bit of trivia.

With the 49ers as my TV home team, leaving out west, I’ve seen a lot of Crabtree and me likes. Someone above didn’t like his attitude I do, you need a little bit of an edge to play WR in the NFL. Don’t tell Mikie, but Kaep isn’t the best pocket passer, I think Crabs qualities mesh with RTs real well.

ESPN has Suh as the worst value signing this offseason. WTF, who cares if it’s a value signing? Value signings are bringing in guys that play for the league min., start and play well, so based on that I guess you could say he isn’t a value signing, but it’s still retarded.

My idea of a bad value signing is a guy like a Charles Clay or even Jordan Cameron, these guys have fairly high contracts and my not play due to injuries they had this past yr.

Steve, I can’t watch the pundits anymore because they can’t follow every team close enough nor do they have to or want to while they cash nice checks to be yentas. LOL

There are a few of them who actually inform themselves, but most of them are clueless.

The only thing that matters is results on the field, not opinions. The epic moment for me was back in 2006 when SI predicted a Dolphins/Panthers Super Bowl. The Dolphins finished 6-10 and the Panthers 8-8 with neither making the playoffs. LOL

Thanks Mike E,….I’ll have to ask Rhino & DRG what they see come July 15th when a 8 week military operation begins drills heavily in those states, off base and right in the streets. A full blown psyop exercise and training for martial law & civil war. Fun times we live in. 😉

Steve

I know Kaep isn’t great, but he’s far from being as bad as some folks here make him to be. He has a 90.6 career QB rating, 50 TD’s 21 INT’s, plus add in about 1600 yards rushing and another 10 TD’s rushing. He’s better than Cam Newton, who some people here slobber over.

Wonder how he’ll do with Hardballs & Roman gone? It may be very tough to even sniff out a few wins here and there…see what I just did there….lol

He doesn’t have a lot left from that offense. Carlos Hyde will be the RB, not sure what’s up with Vernon Davis either. He does have Torrey Smith to throw to, and he still has Anquan Boldin. They also lost Iupati.

Gonna be tough sledding I’m sure….really opens the door for the Seahawks to cake walk to the division title cause Zona doesn’t look as good either now.

GDP – Got it, Kaepersniffer. lol

Mike

You went a little beyond my point, I was talking about just his ability to throw the ball and be accurate. When he was at NV he was a great football player, but he’s never been a great passer, even though he does have a cannon, and don’t even get me started on his clock management skills.

I’ve seen him make some fantastic throws, I watched the Niners a lot because of FF, but he seems too eager to just gun everything, and doesn’t throw with touch enough, although I’ve seen him do it well when he does.

Piggy

You can shove a t-bone steak up a butchers ass if you want to get a look at the bull, but wouldn’t you rather just take the butchers word for it? lol

Tim’s got it.

Have fun Charlie Clay!

Coach Rex Ryan confirmed the Bills will have an open competition at quarterback.
    The Bills added Matt Cassel and Tyrod Taylor to compete with E.J. Manuel, and are expected to go with a three-man competition for their starting job. “It’s going to be open. It’s a competition and whoever earns the job will be the guy that’s out there,” Ryan said. “We’ve got guys to work with. We’ll see what happens.”

He went for the money, man, it’s a once in a lifetime chance. It was reported we gave him a solid offer but BUF gave him and his family more life time stability. I get it.

As good as Clay is as a football player, he’s a better person. I’ll miss rooting for him but I wish him the best.

We made a business decision. We could have brought him back but we opted to use his cap dollars else where. The money he got was not outrageous and was about in the ball park of what we were willing to pay him just structured in a different way than we would have paid him.

• Brian in NY says:

Buffalo was smart in front loading the deal, making it nearly impossible for us to match. I’m hoping that Aponte is planning on saving some of our cap space to carry over next year when Suh’s cap number balloons.

Suh to wear no. 93. Some where Earl Mitchell is sulking about losing out on a pay day for no. 90.

I hope opponents keep double teaming the wrong guy.
      “Fuck me… Suh is #93, not #90!!! Stop calling out #90!!! LOL

No disrespect to Mitchell, he should thrive with Suh next to him.

Round 1 Pick 14: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State (B+)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Ben Heeney, ILB, Kansas (B-)
    Round 5 Pick 13: Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Geneo Grissom, OLB, Oklahoma (A-)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Chris Hackett, FS, TCU (C+)

Piggy’s dream draft

We better sign a few OL

Wow White and Strong. I would not care if drafted a piece of drift wood after that. That would be a home run in my book if we walked away with both of those guys.

Brian:
    I still hope we make another move in FA. We have the cap space and with the signing of Suh we should be all in for the short haul. This is not a 3 year plan anymore imo.

No, you don’t sign Suh and have developed Tannehill for 3 years to say one more year of not making the playoffs is okay. Ross wants a winning team. He’s paying for it. Everyone knows it.

• Brian in NY says:

The only move I could see is a FA guard at some point after the draft. We are going to have to pay Tannehill a boatload starting next year, so we are going to need some of that cash.

Ken & Tim, correct….both Clay made a biz decision as well as our FO. See ya when I see ya…

Clay really only had 1 decision. We didn’t offer him a long term deal. The Bills are the only team that did. All we did was say we will pay you 7 million for 1 year and if some one offers you a long term deal we will think about matching it. So the only decision that was made was made by our FO. Clay really had no choice.

We reportedly offered him a 4 year deal at $24+M with $10M guaranteed and he went to Buffalo for twice that. I get it!

Tim:
        That was before he became a UFA. Once he was a UFA and tested the market he had only that 1 offer. I suppose he could have taken the deal without testing the waters but that was not likely to happen.

Ken,
    We only have about $11 million left to spend after the Delmas and Moore signings, and I believe we will need roughly $7 Million for the drafted players. That only leaves $4 million.

For rookie class we probably need less than 5 million. That’s plenty of money. We still need OL and WR. I also believe we still need a S. I just don’t see Delmas as the answer at S.

I think the draft is $3-4M. They back-load their 4 year deals. Use bonuses up front. There are ways around it. Capologists have to constantly monitor this stuff. Aponte specializes in that and so does Tannenbaum.

And if Tannehill is given an extension I am sure it will be structured in such a way that it is cap friendly next year with a large signing bonus up front that will prorated over 7 years.

Ken says:
    March 20, 2015 at 9:42 pm

And if Tannehill is given an extension

my god bite your green ass tongue. dont you know tanny sucks. do you not read your own blog.

It’s funny, this organization pulled off something I didn’t think they could do this off-season, and that was to rid themselves of the bad 2013 last ditch efforts from Ireland with the heavy cap. That’s what this off-season has been about. Sad but true.

tim

this off season is no different from any other. what matter is the season. lets see then how this off season plays out.

Alright it has been a busy week and I must catch up on some sleep. I am out. Peace to you all.

tim,

you shit. dont you know that word is so PC wrong. i think you meant to say you just went all female.

Is Wheeler on the books or is he a UFA?

He’s on the books, when he signed I think it was for 4 yrs, but they said he may be designated as a June 1st cut.

The draft class usually costs about $5M, but ours will be a bit less without a 3rd RD pick

After re-signing LaMichael James, I’m almost certain we won’t be drafting a RB in this draft. I bet we’ll pick up a couple after the draft though.

I doubt James has anything to do with how we draft, he’s just a body at this point. They may have a vision for him, but I don’t think he’s anything more than that, basically he goes to camp to audition for the final 53.

We still need a short yardage back.

If we sign Crabtree, we won’t need to draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd, nor will we need to draft any position, so that’s what I’m hoping, sign Crabs, then we can truly look for upgrades/playmakers at S/CB/LB/WR/TE/OL/RB.

I don’t think a big back is a bad idea

But I think it’s more luxury than anything else

We need LBs, DBs, OG and WRs

It’s not easy to fit RB in

The point was we won’t need anything, if we get Crabs, everything would be a luxury, including a big back. The big back need was in response to Mike saying we won’t be drafting a RB.

Scout No. 2: “Excellent player. Strong and menacing. Tough to account for one-on-one in the run game, but maybe not as good as the hype because his effort comes and goes. He can get undisciplined, freelance and compromise the defense. As a rusher more of a power guy who overwhelms blockers. Not really the type to consistently win vs. one-on-ones like J.J. Watt or like Geno Atkins used to. He will be helped in Miami by the strong rushers around him, but might not be as disruptive as he has been if he’s the only threat.”

Scout No2, from the jets thinks Suh is a slacker, they’ll see.

I don’t think a big back is a bad idea, I just don’t think we draft one. Maybe we find an undrafted free agent, but I’d be surprised if we draft one.

What if Gurley is sitting there in the 2nd? Not sure I’d really call him a big back, but it would remove the need for me.

146. Rhino says:

Signings of Delmas, Walton, James, and discussions with Crabtree indicate the Phins are serious about entering the draft “ready to play the season” to take BPA. If the rookie comes in an wins the job, then these second level FA signing guys get released. If the rookie doesn’t unseat the vet (a guy who HAS played in the NFL) we can ‘develop’ him. Walton signing in pretty solid if he played all 16 games coming off an injury.

Someone wrote yesterday that Walton rated as the worst center in the league last yr.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

our o-line is far from ready to start the season right now. Its a big ? imo.

I wouldn’t call it far from ready, even though I think our best bet would be to draft Oline in the 1st, a guy that can be Pro Bowl type Guard and fill in at RT, if Alberts isn’t ready to go week 1.

I don’t think we are in complete BPA mode and probably won’t be able to get there before draft

We have big holes right now at OG, LB and CB
    And we have no 3rd rounder

• BoulderPhinfan says:

agreed. o-line and ILB are biggest holes right now.

Misi is adequate as our MLB, Thomas and Turner are adequate for Guard, and between Taylor, Davis, and RJ (or even Thomas/Aikens in a pinch) we have #2 CB covered.

The point of going BPA in the first 2 rounds is why wouldn’t you pick up that dynamic player/playmaker at the expense of reaching for an average OG, LB and CB?

if taylor can stay healthy he can easily be the other starter

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly · 58m 58 minutes ago
    Jamar Taylor might have graded out as the best defender in the two games he started last year. But can he stay healthy?

steve,
    what i meant was it has to most ways to go compare to any other unit. I agree that one of our first 2 picks will be o-line.

Boulder,

Taylor really came on last year once Finnegan went down. It’s a shame he was injured after that becasue we could have had a major question answered going into this draft.

• Brian in NY says:

and I agree with your comment regarding the oline being “far from ready”. We essentially have a hole at LG, and a big question marh at RG. That’s 40% of the o line that is unsettled.

• jetsssuck says:

didn’t pouncey make the pro bowl last yr as a alternate? Him and his brother have 6 probowls in their short careers. He has been on cbs channel 4 the last week working out with his brother in s.florida when other players are vacationing. From his conservations with cbs you can tell he has a great attitude. Who knows maybe his brothers next contract they will play together again.

I have rooted for Taylor before we drafted him!

But I don’t know?

I see him chasing way more than I like to see a CB Chase!

• Brian in NY says:

I agree on that to a point Wyoming. I think that this was the case more so before he started. I felt that he was really coming into his own when starting those two games.

Delmas had a million-dollar smile after signing his new contract.

Steve

Gurley I suppose is always a possibility, but I think we go either OL 1st RD – WR – 2nd RD, or vice versa.

Yes Oline, it will make the offense as a whole go.

• Brian in NY says:

I think that Gurley is off the board by the time we pick in the second, which is going to make me furious. There is always one guy each year that I want to draft, whether it is a fit or not, and Gurley is that guy for me this season. My best friend is a Georgia fan, so I’ve been watching him for years- he’s the real deal.

I’d add LB into the mix as well, but I’m guess in one of those three comes in as a FA.

Bottomline is if Crabs signs on, right now we can field a pretty good team, with no one area looking like Collonblow made the Oline look.

Oooh, Brian throwing down the gauntlet! lol

156. Rhino says:

Regarding Walton…. “rated last in league for centers”…. coming off a serious injury, he played through it all 16 games. The man has NFL ‘backup’ talent which didn’t really show up last year. I think this is a good signing because it’s one year, AND we will get to see him with the ‘rust already knocked off’. No risk, all reward.

157. Rhino says:

Like many here, I’ve never liked Crabtree (his catch vs UTexas for a rare Tx Tech upset turned him into a dirty word in our household). HOWEVER, Tannehill was a “blasphemous exaltation” and we got over it.

What we do know, Landry and Crabtree provide two outstanding possession receivers. Crabtree was over drafted so 49ers fans (many in my Cali family) were always upset. We don’t have that history with him and thus a fresh start could be excellent for him (who thought Ted Ginn and his family would still be in the league? lol)

The fresh start would be with a QB that can get him the ball. Good thing I’m in Vegas now or I’d be shot for making that comment in Northern NV.

I love Kaep, and if I’d route for one player not on the Phins to win an SB it would be him. I think he’s a very good QB, but he’s not a WRs best friend.

• Brian in NY says:

Rhino,
      I don’t think Crabtree was overdrafted. Many projected he would go before the Niners picked at 10 that season. I think he fell out of favor with the fans for two reasons:

1. He held out for half of his rookie season
      2. He never lived up to the billing of the #10 pick, 2012 not withstanding.

Crabtree at $4 mil sounds fine as a 3rd or 4th wideout. That’s like what Gibson was getting. If we do sign him, hope we draft one though.

11.57 million people filled out a bracket on ESPN’s Bracket Challenge…one was perfect through the first round.

Good luck Dude or Duddette.

George Lopez @glopez1995
    @RichCimini Do the Jets trade back with the Saints or Chargers and get Rivers or Brees? #Jetsmail

———-

He may not be the comedian of the same name, but he is own in his own right 😛

Steve,
    I get your point regarding BPA, but teams can’t always draft the BPA. We aren’t going to take a QB, or even a DT at 14 even if they are the BPA. There is almost always a need attached to BPA.

OMG, of course we aren’t going to take a QB or DT at 14, and by the way BPA is a myth, it doesn’t really mean regardless of position.

Two weeks into free agency, 24 of the top 25 players on Around The NFL’s list have decided where they’ll be next year (with Michael Crabtree being the lone exception):

ONE OF THE GREATEST PLAYERS in the history of football passed away yesterday. CHUCK BEDNARIK, the last man to play both offense and defense on a full-time basis, died in an assisted living facility in Pennsylvania at the age of 89. He is universally regarded as the greatest player in the history of the Philadelphia Eagles franchise.

Tough-as-nails, Bednarik flew 30 missions over Nazi Germany as a gunner in 1945. After the war ended, Bednarik (a true scholar despite his crusty demeanor) enrolled in Penn and graduated with honors. He was the first overall draft choice in the 1948 NFL draft. “Concrete Chuck” (who sold concrete in the off season to supplement his income) immediately became a star in Philadelphia. From 1950 through 1960 he was named an All-Star I believe 8 or 9 times. –In the 1960 regular season, Bednarik flattened the Giants star back Frank Gifford with a thunderous hit. Gifford, who suffered a concussion on the play, would not return to the NFL until 1962! The iconic photo of Bednarik standing over Gifford still resides in the Pro Football Hal of Fame, as does a bust of Bednarik who, later was inducted into the Hall.

Later in 1960, during the final seconds of the NFL Championship Game, Green Bay was driving for the winning touchdown, trailing 17-13. Green Bay’s Jim Taylor only had to beat Bednarik to win the game! But the bruising linebacker nailed Taylor inside the 10 yard line and laid on Taylor as the final seconds ticked away! The Eagles had won the NFL Championship! –And Chuck Bednarik had cemented his name as one of the Greatest Players EVER!

In the 1990’s, when Dion Sanders briefly played offense (receiver) and defense (defensive back) at the same time for Dallas, Bednarik scoffed at Sanders’ claim to be playing BOTH WAYS. “I got hit hard on every play,” said Bednarik. –“And Sanders couldn’t tackle my wife!”

RIP Concrete Chuck. Another sign that our greatest generation is slipping away. You call me “young,” but am still old enough to remember when the last WWI vet passed.

I vividly remember Walter Cronkite announcing on CBS’ nightly news in the early 60’s that the last known Civil War veteran had just passed away and that he was believed to have been 110 or 111 years old!! (Perhaps it was the late ’50’s.)

Now you’re really showing your age OD, how old did you say…

Beats WWI for sure. Was ended in 1865. Even say it was a 14-year-old drummer boy, a guy that old would have passed right about then.

I do remember when the oldest civil War vet widow passed, but then that vet married a young’un.

I can see us taking a QB
    in a draft and trade option!

No body is going to trade our pick believing we won’t take a QB
    So if we drafted one we could get a player and picks for him?

Or I could just be punch drunk?

I’d be very surprised if we drafted a QB after re-signing Moore.

I wouldn’t keep him!
        And I was talking is one of the top 2 somehow dropped to us!

Hundley getting ripped on his play film!

Jeff Risdon ‏@JeffRisdon · 16m16 minutes ago
        Hundley 3-step drop, WR is wide open on the slant, he inexplicably freezes and then runs right into another sack. Ugh.

Pig won’t like it, but I could see a team trading up for a WR at #14. Plus even if we won’t take a QB, if two teams want one available…….

What great QB in this draft would that be?

BPA doesn’t mean any position as much as it means if you have 4-5 needs take the BPA at those positions accordingly.

NOW you’re talkin, TIM!! – – That’s why I WOULD NOT take Gurley even if he was available at #14. – – The chances that he’ll perform significantly better than Lamar Miller did last year are slim, especially given the rotten O-Line Miller was stuck behind. –I say TAKE THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE AT 14 IN AN AREA OF GREAT NEED, then do likewise in a different area of great need in round 2.
      ——-
      I COULD BE DEAD WRONG, but if Trae Waynes is still there at 14, I’d be happy if we took him. In THAT scenario, we’d HAVE to take BPA at G/T in round 2.

Agreed, RB is not a NEED and we can become a better team addressing other positions.

I don’t see us drafting QB, RB, TE, DT or S high in this draft.

OD — you got me to look it up, and matches up with your 111. There were a couple who claimed to be who passed later, but general opinion is that they were fibbing.
    ———————————
    Albert Henry Woolson (February 11, 1847 – August 2, 1956) was the last surviving member of the Union Army who served in the American Civil War. He was also the last surviving Civil War veteran on either side whose status is undisputed.

14: R1P14 S LANDON COLLINS ALABAMA
    47: R2P15 WR NELSON AGHOLOR USC
    111: R4P15 CB KEVIN WHITE TCU
    141: R5P13 G ALI MARPET HOBART
    142: R5P14 OLB JEFF LUC CINCINNATI
    175: R6P15 WR AUSTIN HILL ARIZONA

If we took Collins that would be real BPA after signing Delmas. Have to believe they are looking at next year too much for that.

I would like to be looking 2 years down the road one of these days!!!!!

Might have seen it a couple years ago, but it is a hot seat year. And hey……that’s what a lot of folks on this board are calling for. Actually, many would have Phlibin fired already.

FYI, we won’t know what # we pick in the 4th round and on until comp picks are handed out.

I would not take Collins at #14. I don’t think we’ll take a Safety high in this draft. I have a gut feeling if Delmas isn’t ready Aikens will start along with Jones.

If we’re looking at it with everyone healthy I think this will be our starting defense. The only position I’m not sure about is SOLB. It could be Tripp.

LDE Wake
    LDT Suh
    RDT Mitchell
    RDE Vernon

SOLB?
    MLB Misi
    WOLB Jenkins

LCB Grimes
    S Jones
    S Delmas
    RCB Taylor

Wyo, Aikens will be a starting Safety at some point. 😉

Jones!
    I like Delmas a lot!
    But I don’t trust his injury to be healed that fast!
    Or his ability to play at the same level he was before?
    Aikens is not a proven commodity (not that a draft pick would be)
    Everyone else is a break in case of emergency

To may ??? for my liking!

Most young players aren’t proven but you need young players to play. Thomas could replace Wilson’s role.

I have more ?? at Safety than I do any other position we have!

If Albert is healthy? Cool – Fox
    Turner
    Pouncy
    Thomas
    James

LB’s
    Misi – Shepard
    Jenkins
    Tripp, Wheeler, McCain

Brian,
    We’re probably going to start the season with Albert on pup. So rt is not set in stone yet either. O-line definitely has some holes right now

___________________________
    OD, that was great stuff. I enjoyed reading the whole thing on Concrete Chuck! Thanks

Ditto!

GDP and TIM; YOU are both welcome!! – – Before I die, I want all Dolfans to have a better appreciation for the history of the NFL and, particularly, the history of our beloved Miami Dolphins. It is one of many life goals I have set for myself. And your kind comments are appreciated.

I believe Wheeler is going to be released.

A sleeper LB could be Jake Knott.

If Albert isn’t ready to go I think James will play LT and Fox will play RT.

Me not worried….and how great does that Suh signing look about now? 😉

In a radio interview, Bills coach Rex Ryan said, “We’re going to run it 50 times if we can.”
    “We’re not naive enough to think we’re going to be able to get away with that,” Ryan continued, adding Buffalo could also “spread you out and create some nightmares in coverage.” Though he tried to temper the comment, Buffalo’s offseason moves always pointed to a run-heavy approach. They brought in a run-first offensive coordinator in Greg Roman, traded for LeSean McCoy and settled for bridge-quarterback Matt Cassel. Buffalo does have some weapons to utilize outside if they ever figure out the quarterback position, but for now McCoy should be the focus of the offense. He has a great shot to top 300 carries for the third-straight season.

The question at LB is whether or not Jordan and McCain will be in the mix. My guess is McCain at OLB is more realistic than Jordan who looks like a DE to me, but he does have the athletic ability to move around. They might both become hybrid defenders in different nickel/dime packages – rush the passer both hand in the ground and standing, drop in zone coverage, move around in blitz schemes.

Coyle could have a lot of fun with this group. If we can add one really good defender from the draft to the group we already have, we could get back to being a good defense again. There is a lot of talent on this team. We need some young players to step up and provide quality depth though.

I think we draft an inside LB and move Misi back to SLB. I’ve been thinking that for a while now. Better to get a guy who’s played inside and is used to running the defense, and let Misi go back to his comfortable SOLB spot. That’s what I’d prefer.

That’s possible but I liked how Misi looked at MLB when healthy. The problem was his high ankle sprain lingered all season and he was in and out of the lineup, so for me his season at MLB was kind of incomplete. I definitely think we’ll draft a LB at some point.

Right now we have Misi, Jenkins, Sheppard, Tripp, Knott and then McCain and/or Jordan in the mix. Remember too that we only play base defense about 30% of the time so nickel and dime defense is more important than the 3 starting LBs. You need to find your two main LBs.

OD, I saw that about Chuck Bednarik this morning when I watched some NFLN. They were scrolling that he passed and showing the Eagles organization’s statement about him. He’s one of their legends.

Tim if Fox has to start at OT for us we are in for a lot of pain. Best hope Albert is healthy. Fox or Thomas at OT spells a lot of trouble for us.

I’m not so sure. We wouldn’t have re-signed Fox if we felt that way about him. The entire OL was in disarray as the season went on with all the injuries last year. We went through every O-lineman on the team last year in the starting lineup.

I feel Pouncey moving back to center and a young guy like Turner emerging can start to get this group to where it needs to go.

It’s not that Misi can’t handle MLB, but I want a guy in the middle that’s likely to play every game, since basically, he’s the QB of the defense. Also, my preference would be a player that has played MLB in college, and knows what they’re doing there.

Misi was meh in the middle. He had moments where he looked okay and he had moments where I thought his lack of quickness was exploited. In particular in the Baltimore game I remember him being a liability.

He played on a high ankle sprain from week 1 through the entire season. That’s a tough injury to deal with. That’s the point I’m trying to make about him. I’d like to see him play MLB healthy if can stay healthy.

The good thing about Misi is he could fraking tackle. When he got to the ballcarrier, the ballcarrier went down, which is more than I can say for our other LB’s. I do agree he wasn’t particularly great at anticipating and diagnosing plays and making plays behind the LOS, or great in coverage, but it’s hard for a LB to cover in the NFL, thee aren’t many that do it well.

The point I am trying to make is we can upgrade MLB. Misi can tackle, but he lacks quickness and he has not been able to stay healthy. I would not feel comfortable with him as our MLB going forward.

One positive thing for whoever is our MLB this season is that they should be the beneficiary of improved DT play with Suh. That should help our linebacking play significantly.

Quick comment. I don’t think our OL is nearly as bad as we make it out to be. Sure, it’s not Dallas OL yet but the only way I want a 1st round OL is if we can’t get an elite talent elsewhere and it’s really BPA. Our offense, including that mishmash OL at the end wasn’t the reason we lost games at the end of the season. It was the defense that was an Achilles Heel just about all season. The close losses to GB and Detroit. The meltdowns to the Jets, Ravens, Pats, Broncos, and even the Vikes. That’s 6 of our 8 losses and the defense was a major player in all 6.

Lack of depth at OL was a major factor of our late season collapse. Yes the D fell apart but so did pass protection once Albert got injured. Up until that point the OL play was good but with Albert’s injury and then Colledge’s injury the OL fell apart, in particular on pass protection.

The defense was very good the first 10 games, they really went downhill from there. We also got crushed on too many crucial 3rd downs on offense allowing way too many sacks.

We scored 16, 13 and 13 points 3 of the last 5 games even though we won the 16 point game against the Jets in the first meeting. But you could see the struggles we were having.

It’s a team game and we didn’t play complementary football late in the season.

Let’s not underrate Jenkins who really emerged last season. He’s also a good tackler and good in coverage. A lot of times people look at stats and don’t see INTs and PD and think they’re not good in coverage when sometimes no stats mean more about how they’re good in coverage.

Example:
    We cover everyone down the field, the RB slips out late to give the QB a check down, Jenkins picks him up and the QB holds onto the ball too long and gets sacked. We all praise the guy with the sack and that’s the stat line. Jenkins gets no stat on the play but he helped make the sack happen.

That’s an example of how stats don’t tell the whole story and why coaches look at players differently than fans. They study hundreds of plays not just the few that standout when a guy got beat.

Watch us trade down, draft Kendricks and then take a WR in the 2nd round and blow everyone’s mind. LOL

Mike E, agreed on LBs in coverage overall throughout the league. That’s why the big safeties are becoming the new fad again – to match up with the big, fast TEs and RBs. But they’re hard to find too.

Ken

I agree we could, and should upgrade.

I know you love Aikens, but do you think he has potential to be a starting CB? I know he’s played both, and it would seem on the surface it would be great if he could be a starting CB, especially if Delmas and Jones are healthy.

I don’t love him but I like his upside. 😉

Remember I kind of called the pick for a big DB in the 4th round when everyone else hated the pick. I also liked the 5th rd TE pick who I had my sights on. LOL

I think we started to work Aikens as a safety last year and I think with Delmas coming off of a late season knee injury we should probably keep him there and let him compete with Thomas and the other safeties and go from there.

March 21, 2015 at 1:13 pm (Edit)

****
    That wouldn’t be half bad

for Newage,

Tim, looks like our boy Tripp is ready to go right now! 😉

I consider Tripp a sleeper who could emerge like Jenkins did.

A sleeper for sure, but what do we know about him now than when we drafted him? Hoping for the best, but also that we bring in a starting level LB, whether inside or strong side.

Hopefully we draft a couple of LBs

watching my first ncaa basketball of the season and wow, just wow. i have been bitching about the nfl officiating and how they favor certain teams but i got so say there is nothing as confusing as basketball officiating. well maybe the wwf. is there even a traveling rule any more or did they get rid of that? it is no wonder i have quit watching the sport.

March 21, 2015 at 1:07 pm

It’s a team game and we didn’t play complementary football late in the season.

no its not. havent you been reading this blog or you just read your own post. we have been told over and over all you need is a qb. i mean look at how wilson won the nfc championship game all by himself.

Stanger, what does anyone know about about any unproven young player or draftee?

I’m talking about players who have worked for the big team for a year or two and have to take the next step. That’s the process for any team.

Yup, there is no guarantees even with 1st rounder selected @ #3 overall…lol 😉
      Is why I replied to Stanger with Mason Foster….a guy who’s proven it on the field a few times already. But Hickey, knowing him from his days in Tampa must not like him here or his price is too high.

Further proof that he has no fans….LMAO!

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly
    “@MiamiFanTTwice: has a fan ever invited u over for dinner on a road trip and have u ever excepted it?”» No, and No. Not sure I would either

NEW AGE: Saw your comment where you said that our O-Line isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be.–Well if Albert fails to fully recuperate from surgery, this line will be WORSE than it’s made out to be UNLESS we get a true stud G/T in the first two rounds. AND keep in mind Albert has missed playing time in, I believe, 3 of the last 4 seasons so he’s NOT as durable as you’d like a LT to be. –I’m still hoping the Fins can add one more quality player on the O-Line in FA.–But if that doesn’t happen, this O-Line MUST have a healthy Brandon Albert AND starting help from the draft in order to be a Top 10 offensive line. Right now, not knowing Albert’s status for opening day, we are not even a Top 20 NFL O-Line IMHO.

Wiz, Blalock, & Connolly still haven’t signed. I’d be ok with any of those,

GDP; The signing of Walton didn’t bring much improvement to the O-Line. Hopefully more and better O-Linemen are on the way.