Sodomized at the Draft with Colonpokey: The Shula Years

ColonpokeyMasterCodeofColonpokey

Okay Okay, I admit it Shula is the Greatest Ever.  There is no one that gives me a harder time hurting the butts of Dolfans than Shula.  But even the greats have some low points.

WebbSims

In 1990 the Dolphins sought to build the left side of the offensive line in one draft.  And they were successful.  Richmond Webb and Keith Sims played in a combined 326 games.  They were among the best pass protectors in the NFL.  In Shula’s last year, 1995, the Dolphins tried to do the same thing on the right side of the offensive line.

MillnerGreene

Like Webb and Sims, Billy Milner and Andrew Green were the first two picks of their respective drafts.  But unlike Webb and Sims, Milner and Green played in an uninspiring 40 total games.  It should have been easier to duplicate the success of Webb and Sims on the right side of the line – but it didn’t work out that way.

Not butt hurt yet?  Want some more pokey?  I know you cannot resist pokey.  Just look at me!

SeductivePokey

In 1988 and 1989 the Dolphins selected two very productive safeties in the 2nd round of each draft.  Louis Oliver and Jarvis Williams combined for 33 total interceptions in their time with the Dolphins.  But for those successful 2nd round picks the 1988 and 1989 might be better known as total failure.  That is because the first round picks in each of those two drafts were Sammie Smith and Eric Kumerow.  Each played in over 40 games for the Dolphins, but Smith is notable among long time Dolfans for his fumbles, while Kumerow is still the Dolphins biggest first round reach.

19881989

Sammie Smith is an example of the Dolphins misses at running back during the Marino era.  Another good example of this is John Avery.  An example of a running back miss before Marino is David Overstreet the first round pick of the 1981 draft.  He played in 14 games.  But hey at least we nabbed Marino two years later.

Guy Benjamin

Five years before Marino, the Dolphins drafted some guy to play quarterback.  No really, some guy:  Guy Benjamin was the first pick of the 1978 draft for the Dolphins, albeit a 2nd rounder.  Here is a picture of Guy Benjamin.  Probably gonna have to ask one of the elder Dolfans about who Benjamin is.  I have no idea who he is.  But he probably makes your butt hurt.

Gary

Oh and that magical ’72 season with that incredible trio of running backs, well it started with a bang with the drafting of Gary Kousins in the 2nd round.  Kousins was a running back and I guess you can’t fault him for failing to nail down the starting job.  I can’t find a picture of Gary Kousins.  So here is a picture of another Gary.

SealofPokey2

Honestly though, there wasn’t too much butt hurting during the Shula years.  A couple of bad selections here and there.  A couple of guys who careers were derailed because of injury, like Randall Hill.  But wherever there is a draft – there is a pokey.

Pokey happens…

This post is pokey approved.  Don’t accept any fakes.  Look for the Seal of Pokey.

This entry was posted in Misc. Bookmark the permalink.

404 Responses to Sodomized at the Draft with Colonpokey: The Shula Years

1. jetsssuck says:

1st–David Overstreet died in a car accident in off season. We had a string of off season deaths for several years—rusty chambers,and david bowers.
    Shula had a lot of failures but that can be expected with how many years he coached and Shula wasn’t a perfect choirboy he bent the rules as far the rules allowed or couldn’t be caught.

2. jetsssuck says:

Shula wanted a outside linebacker so he made bad trades or draft choices—-hugh green and EJ junior come to mind. John Bosa can be added with Eric Kumerow as bad 1st rounders. Mira from UM as a second rounder. The former dolphin guy that coached lebron james as a hs player in football.

3. jetsssuck says:

Shula is tied for most super bowl loses—4

• jetsssuck says:

shula lost his 1st 4 apperances in chaMPIONSHIP/SB games.He was called a choker because he couldn’t win the big game

4. jetsssuck says:

Shula got his first NFL coaching job as the defensive backfield coach for the Detroit Lions in 1960.[3] The Lions posted winning records in each of Shula’s three seasons there under head coach George Wilson.Shula replaced George Wilson.
    Weeb Ewbank, whom Shula had played under in Cleveland and Baltimore, was fired as the Colts’ head coach in 1963 following a string of losing seasons. Shula replaced him. Ewbank beat Shula in what is considered the greatest upset of SB’s with the Jets

5. jetsssuck says:

After the dolphin 1st SB lose vs Dallas and the 1st day of training camp the following year Shula made the team watch the SB vs Dallas embarrassment not once but twice.

It’s a jetssuck marathon! lol

LMAO @ The Richard Gere Pokey pic! Funny stuff Piggy!

8. Try Pod says:

Dick Wood died, apparently awaiting moderation…

I actually thought Hugh Green was a good pickup for the Dolphins. I know it was towards the end of his career, but I thought he did well for us.

Trypod

I’m going to get the papers,
    get the papers

Try – I actually mentioned that Dick Wood, who was the very first QB of the Miami Dolphins passed away last week. It’s a tough name to forget. lol

Piggy

Drill is for me??? Por favor explique . . . .

LOL

I actually just threw the power drill in the photoshop at the end of the edit
      it has nothing to do with you
      I’m just messing with you

Colonpokey owns a lot of stock in black and decker though

13. Rhino says:

morning folks. first off… great write Piggy… I read every morning quickly but no time to comment. a rare opportunity to post…. severe storm last night delayed school 90 minutes!!!!

Regarding the Shula drafts…. Had Shula retired BEFORE Dan Marino I believe he would have more non-phin fans backing him as the GOAT in coaching. His record in the 60’s and 70’s compared to other coaches with a similar length of service is unparalleled. But that long stretch trying to win a SB with Marino (fucking 49ers!!) became almost desperate by the late 80’s and early 90’s. Shula could win in THREE different eras of play….

BUT… in the 60’s and 70’s the draft was ‘different’ than the late 80’s and 90’s… and now it is WAY different in expectations.

I would say first 15-20 years was pretty solid drafting… then the “desperate” years were quite shaky.

I actually though we drafted well until he left

and I would take what we were int he 80s and 90 under Shula right now instead of what we were

I mentioned Webb/Sims in this piece
      But how bout this other 1-2 punch – McDuffie and Kirby in 1993
      Thos draft I mentioned with Kumerow and Sammie Smith (’88 & ’89) also had productive selections like Jeff Cross, Jeff Ulhenake, Pete Stoyanivich, Ferrel Edmunds, Harry Galbreath, JB Brown – those guys are later picks and helped the Dolphisn compete. yeah, they are not great players but they didn;t find themselves out of the league within 3 years either.

Good morning Rhino! Glad you had a minute to pop in

15. Rhino says:

More DB’s signed and being brought in… camp competition…. throw the shit against the wall and see what sticks.

It seems pretty clear that the Fins want to “fill” every hole before the draft. I still expect a ‘veteran’ WR to be signed… and a LB (both of who could be cut if they can’t beat out any draft picks). The REALLY tough spot is OG cuz we’re really just waiting for someone else to make a salary cap cut. Unless of course our coaching staff has a much higher opinion of Turner than we do. I like Turner’s disposition… but he is a classic “develop” guy (which we in the fan base no longer have patience for LOL).

16. Rhino says:

On the Pouncey extension: I think it is a sign that our OL strategy is to hopefully get consistency and keep quality guys together…. Because an OL needs chemistry… constant churning (even with higher quality) does not always mean better play than a ‘mixed talent’ OL that has chemistry and LOTS of snaps together.

17. Rhino says:

Piggy, I’m with you on Shula vs today… but also noticed your list and it makes the point that Shula was definitely building offense around Marino (Shula, ironically, was the one PUSHING for changes in the rules about defensive contact… many criticized him for trying to change the rules to fit HIS style of play). The defensive side is what seemed to get ignored. PERHAPS Shula was foreseeing what we are currently experiencing in the NFL game.

I thought the Troy Vincent/ Marco Coleman ddraft was good
      and he drafted Bryan Cox at some point too

Before that in the 80s he brought int he Killer B’s

but I do think his focus on defense tailed off a little, as you say, in the Marino era

18. Rhino says:

morning MikeE. Hope you are enjoying the start of baseball. I know lots of guys here find it boring… but I absolutely love the pace and mix of thoughtfulness/athleticism and strategy of pitching rotations…. it’s not a sport for the “impatient brigade” lol

Yatil Green!

1997 15 Yatil Green Wide receiver Miami (FL)
    1998 29 John Avery Running back Mississippi
    1999 — No pick — —
    2000 — No pick — —
    2001 26 Jamar Fletcher Defensive back Wisconsin
    2002 — No pick — —
    2003 — No pick — —

Louis Oliver was a 1st round pick.

The trade for Hugh Green was a great move. The problem was he blew his knee in an era when they didn’t come back from those injuries so well. His game was speed off the corner and he lost that from the injury.

Sorry Rhino, actually got busy here for a bit. I’m impatient about some things, but I do love me some beisbol. I agree, love thinking like a pitcher and trying to guess the t ype of pitch and the location, whther a baserunner is going, whether the catcher calls for a ptchout, and many more strategic angles. I do love NFL football more though, but there is always a place in my heart for baseball.

Pitching is my favorite part of the game of baseball. I love watching good pitching.

What bores me about baseball is when pitchers take too much time, throw to 1st base with no effort to pick the guy off, just to stall throwing the ball to the batter, then the batter having to redo everything he’s wearing after every pitch. Knock it off and play ball. LOL

Tim – There you go. I forgot Green got hurt, but I do remember him being a good player for us.

Yatil Green was a very good WR, we just got fucked by the injury gods. Freak injury in training camp, cleats got stuck in the dirt, and that was the end of him. Shame

The new rule that the batter has to stay in the batters box is a great rule. No need for all those ridiculous adjustments of every piece of equipment and then step back in a half hour later. I like it a lot.

nice job piggy. thanks for the laugh

I don’t get why tanny’s deal needs to get done now. Why not wait until after the 2015 season like the colts are doing it with Luck and Luck has actually been to playoffs ever year he’s been in the league.

You can, but if he absolutely kills it this year, you’re going to have to pay significantly more. That’s the reason I’d sign him now.

Wyo

I’m wondering if Jamar Taylor and Will Davis are going to be Dorian Brew and Kirk Pointer

29. jahndoh says:

Does anyone else keep this site on a tab in the background while they’re working at their computer during the day and notice that the tab in this series says “sodomized” on it?

My wife just came up behind me and glanced at the computer, pointed to the tab and said “What the hell!!!!???”

Lol..how long is this series going to live on again Piggy?

LOL @ This post is pokey approved. Don’t accept any fakes. Look for the Seal of Pokey.

Wyo

Yeah man, BIG IF is right. It would be nice if we could count on those guys and NOT have to draft a CB, but I’m not sure we’re there.

1981 1 13 David Overstreet RB
    1981 8 208 William Judson DB
    1981 9 235 John Noonan WR
    1981 10 261 Steve Folsom TE
    1981 11 291 Jim Jensen WR
    1981 12 318 John Alford DT

Well at least we got Crash @ 291 ! 🙂

Overstreet died in a car crash, Franklin was a good RB, not great, Vigorito was OK, Walker was a good KR, and Judson was a solid CB.

mike,
    If he absolutely kills it then I’d be glad to pay him. That’s a better alternative than if he shits the bed and you’re paying a hack a lot of money to sit on the bench.

Just going by his career, he’s improved each and every year, so no reason to bank on anything else.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I think waiting would be better. If we don’t go to the playoffs again this year do you still think he’s a franchise QB? What other franchise QB didn’t go to the playoffs his first 4 years in the league?

I don’t expect him to shit the bed. He’s getting better every year.

I just posted the 81 draft because Crash is one of my all-time favorite players! 🙂

And it was pretty Jeffro-esque! 😦

35. jetsssuck says:

Shula is tied for most super bowl loses—4 and if you count championships games his record is 2 wins and 6 loses.

Great job as always Pig. Even if these can be painful to read, think you are doing a public service by reminding us all what a crap shoot the draft is. I have to keep that mind when I start thinking, “take this guy in that round and he’ll be doing this next season.” He might be doing very little at all, no matter what round taken.

37. jetsssuck says:

On his very first day of training camp, Yatil Green tore his quadriceps muscles, anterior cruciate ligament and cartilage in his right knee.[1] Green came back the next year and again tore the same ACL in training camp.[2] In his third and only season playing, 1999, he played in 9 games catching 18 receptions for 234 yards and no touchdowns.
    He wasn’t any good if one considered his production. Maybe if he didn’t hold out his rookie season year for a better contract things would have been different

He was a talented prospect who was destroyed by injuries.

MIght have been different, but I hate seeing Yatil Green on draft bust lists. To me a bust is something different.

I agree. John Bosa was actually a solid player who also had his career cut short due to knee injuries.

To me a bust is a player who doesn’t live up to expectations. Ted Ginn is a bust as a WR taken at #9 which he never should have been.

• jetsssuck says:

Five to forget: 1987, Miami, John Bosa, DE, Boston College
        During a three-year career, he made 21 starts and recorded three sacks.

No doubt Ginn makes the all time Phins Bust list, only question is at what spot but given those two returns in that one Jets game alone…..thinking it can’t be at #1.

I suppose there are a lot of interpretations as to what a bust is, but I don’t think Yatil Green was a bust. He got injured, it wasn’t a miss because he wasn’t a talented player, or he because he was a talented player that didn’t care and was lazy.

Yeah to my mind he could’ve ended up a bust, but we’ll never now. Can’t even call him a bad pick cause that would only come if he had a prior injury history, which as far as I remember he didn’t.

39. jetsssuck says:

Jay Brophy was another bust but he coached Lebron in HS football

Piggy,
    Painful again. Not a fan of Colepokey at all, lol.

No draft is 100% but I think it’s far less of a crapshoot at most positions today. The training and optimization of college athletes is far superior to what has been previously seen.

Changing topic, I’m kinda glad Crabtree went to the Raiders. Hopefully Jennings will still be there after the draft for a quick pickup.

• jetsssuck says:

I like Jennings as a veteran to teach the young pups. I was thinking maybe if welker doesn’t find a team toplay for this year maybe he could join the fins as a asst.coach.He has played under some good QB’s and he knows what it takes to prepare plus he knows how Bellicheck coaches winning football.

• New Age says:

I wouldn’t mind that. Welker found success and teaching other guys how to do it with his resume would be great.

42. I’ll take the Shula years ANY TIME over any other period in Fins History. El Fin.

New Age – Agree 100%. I never wanted Crabtree, but I’d be happy if we signed Jennings.

• New Age says:

Crabtree isn’t even smart. He took less money to go to a worse team with a fledgling QB. I want a leader not some guy trying to show the world they are wrong about him being washed up. Since he took the lowball offer, he’s really admitting they are right to a degree though.

44. jetsssuck says:

what about all the shula players busted for cocaine trafficking? Remember Chuck Muncie getting stopped at airport and trade deal never went through.

I don’t think Ginn makes the all-time BUST list

Maybe first round Bust list?

Go through the link I posted and you will find Way worse careers than Ginn’s

In no way, shape, or form does this post mean I liked that pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46. If you are gonna blame Coach Shula for players doing drugs and getting busted….lololol that is super weak. Like players today do not do drugs or get busted? See: Dion Jordan – MEGA BUST IN THE MAKING.

47. I’ll take Shula’s crappiest years over the shit-show below average dung we have witnessed the last decade (except for ’08 when the savior Pennington saved that season).

48. FYI: Most here know I grew up in Miami and Coach Shula’s kids attended the same school as my brother and sister. Coach Shula – the one who has been falsely accused of condoning drugs – attended Mass every single day while he was Coach and maybe he still does today i his health allows it. When his wife was dying of cancer he flew her all over to see the best specialists and even to Lourdes in France to get blessed water. He is a devout Catholic so I take great offense to him being smeared because someone makes stuff up.

49. Have a nice day my blood is boiling – without Coach Shula this franchise would have never won jack shit.

Athletes in all sports were doing coke in the 70s and 80s. It wasn’t a Dolphins issue.

I don’t think drugs was just a Dolphins issue so it is what it is. Just like there wasn’t just one player suddenly busting out mega homers in the late 90s. Or the widespread cheating allowed by the Patriots or the sudden ADHD of the Seahawks players.

As a coach, it isn’t your job to play nanny. It’s just your job to motivate, train, and get the best product out there for 12-16 games a year depending on when you caoched.

April 14, 2015 at 11:42 am

This is true.

Even old ladies were giving blowjobs for lines. LOL
    ???????????????????
    They were only old because we were young!
    We are that age now!

53. Jetssuck: You are smearing his name by posting stuff like you did. Back it up with some facts – you can’t because there is NOTHING out there which supports your theory.

• jetsssuck says:

exactly where did i smear him,everything I said was true? do you know how many illegal ped’s their are? 192 one could get suspended for taking otc stuff from walgreens.

• You said:

jetsssuck says:
        April 14, 2015 at 11:29 am
        no but we know he looked the other way concerning drugs. Hell, the players were taking sppeed before games when several years earlier the NFL punished the san diego chargers for giving players speed

When did he look the other way about drugs? Please provide some data.

• jetsssuck says:

yes i did say this and it is true according to bob griese in his book.

• Jetssuck: Again, I have never heard such a theory so please provide the written account from Bob Griese claiming such a thing – not just you saying it. I googled this and nothing comes up because it simple is not true.

I did a fair amount of coke in the 80’s. My parents always blamed Shula.

55. Anyway – great job Piggy as usual. Was Coach Shula perfect? No. But he was by far the BEST coach this franchise has ever had and he was and continues to be a great family man and one I admire tremendously.

The old coke whores were descendants of Don Shula.

57. jetsssuck says:

Gigi, Shula was a great man and he was the best thing that happened to the franchise but he had faults like we all do.

maybe you should read a book by Bob Griese and Dave Hyde….

When I went to Shula’s Steakhouse in NYC, they gave me a straw and I didn’t order a drink. lol

Shula’s other cat. LOL

60. jetsssuck says:

Gigi (@Mrs2620) says:
    April 14, 2015 at 12:03 pm

—————————————————————————————————————————-
    I posted this several weeks back you will have to look for it. It’s from his book. Better yet why don’t you buy the book and read it since it has first hand accounts of the perfect season.

• Better yet – why don’t you post from his book where he allegedly makes such a claim and include the Page Number so I can research it. I already ran a search and NOTHING comes up with what you posted.

LMAO @ Jahn’s 10:21 post

Just be happy I didn’t go with the initial title I hand in mind
    “Butt Raped at the Draft”
    …and yes, I’m serious that was the original title before I changed it to the cleaner (relatively) version

Interesting . . . .

I can’t see the Dolphins going Gordon 1st RD. I could see Gurley. Maybe if he slips to the 2nd RD pick 47, but I doubt that too.

Jetsusck
    Thanks for pointing out the overstreet death
    I didn;t know that

I remember a string of tragedies with the Dolphins in the 80’s
    I also remember when Bunicotti’s son was paralyzed too

When I was kid, we went to some player’s house, I don;t remember who, who’s wife and baby just died in an accident or something. He never answered the door when we knocked (I didn;t understand why as a kid)

Do you remember who that was?

You are right – there was a ton of tragedies for the Dolphins in the 80s

Scared as I am of the wrath of CaliGigi……I’m just going to put it out there.

I like Ruth Chris’ steaks better than Shula’s. Never been a fan of the dry age thing.

It’s not like Shula is actually cooking them. LOL

I’ve never eaten at Ruth Chris, and I wasn’t impressed with the Shula’s in NYC. I did really enjoy the one in Ft. Lauderdale. I’ve also never eaten at Peter Lugers. Crazy, because I LOVE steak. I must go to both of those before I leave this earth.

Shula’s has a sports bar lower place option. That I do like. Just not a fan of the high level one, no matter how hard I try. But it’s really cause they do the dry age thing.

Charles Bowser’s wife was killed in a car accident, the baby survived.

That sounds right
      I didn;t remember the name of the player
      I grew up in a home close to Flamingo and Mirimar Parkway

66. jetsssuck says:

Gigi (@Mrs2620) says:
    April 14, 2015 at 12:19 pm

————————————————————————————————————————
    why don’t you buy the book or research where I posted from the book several weeks back. Then can I expect a apology accusing me of making up lies and If I am wrong then I will apologize fair enough?

67. CaliGigi says:

LoL @ Stanger…Shula’s Steakhouse is a bit overrated as is Ruth Cris IMO. Shula Burger on 17th St. In Ft. Lauderdale is best burger in town however.

Haven’t been to the burger joint…..but that does sound like my kinda place. Ever go to a Fuddrucker’s? Man I loved piling on those toppings.

Love that place but they’re no longer in my area. The one I used to go to closed. The cheese sauce on the fries. Yum!

• It is better tan Fuddruckers!!!! Seriously excellent burger place.

Tim — not even sure if the chain is around any more, but I used to order the half pound bacon cheese burger with a side of chili and then pile on everything at the fixing bar. Would tell whoever I was with, “this is going to get messy…..and I don’t care……only thing I’m worried about is how to not get this stuff on my pants.”

The Peter Luger’s in Long Island is awesome
    I’ve never been to the one in Brooklyn , its like a zoo

The best steak I ever had was at Wolfgang Puck’s in Atlatic City

and this Korean place in the east village – but I forgot the name

69. Only thing I could find:

HarperCollins

Through his tough-as-nails coaching, grueling preseason training, and … Led by such greats as Larry Csonka, Bob Griese, Nick Buoniconti, Larry Little, … flow as the Dolphins rose to prominence, and the team struggled with its own drug issues. … asking Shula about the game, he ignored their questions and marched to the

So Coach Shula ignored questions about the “game” and you come on here saying he ignored drug use…..ummmm okay nice twisting of facts.

70. Jetssuck: You cut and paste or post the freaking page buddy I am not reading the entire book. I just posted the portion you twisted.

71. Here Jetssuck, read this and find where it says when you make stuff up and twist facts what that is called — you may have to read a few hundred pages:

• jetsssuck says:

No need to get nasty lets remain civil as I have known you through past conversations.
      You may have to read a few pages. Apology coming?
      page 86 is the first reference to drug use—–greenies and brownies ring a bell. Thanks for doubting me you are the first person that I remember that has done this in 2.5 years. Link is above to the bob griese perfection book

I don;t knopw what you guys are arguing about
    but since I like you both I will just suggest dropping it

I prefer the steak discussion far more…lol

Stanger, yeah Fuddruckers was awesome with all the fixings. The quality of food was really good and they also had creamy red birch beer.

And what I used to love was out of their half-pound burger you got more than twice the meat than in a double quarter-pounder. Fuzzy math or better meat?…….your choice.

“Zack Bowman , speaking to reporters on Tuesday, said he was told by Dolphins staff that he will have an opportunity to start.”

Guess it comes down to the exact meaning of “opportunity,” but I’m thinking our top 4 CBs are set unless a mid-to-lower-rounder sneaks into the picture.

Open competition for the corners opposite Grimes. Bowman is also a good STs player and he enjoys playing on them.

Least sounds like there should be a camp battle to watch…….and all three of those guys should be working out hard this week to get ready for it.

75. Try Pod says:

Jeff Ruby’s- My favorite steakhouse.
    Ruth’s Chris- Second.
    Haven’t been to Shula’s or Morton’s or Eddie Merlot’s.
    I went to a really good one in Vegas, but I can’t remember the name.

• Try Pod says:

Back in the day, I also liked Beefsteak Charlie’s, too. Lol
      And for old school Floridians, Black Angus.

Try — not sure how Ruby’s does it but sounds like the “age” both of us like is wet. Smother it in spices and oil, put it a big baggie, pop it in the cooler for three-four weeks and only thing you can screw up is the temp.

You guys serial killers? LOL

• Try Pod says:

Oddly enough, I believe he dry ages his steaks. I always enjoy my steaks st either place. I think I like ruby’s better because of the ambiance and because he kicked o.j. out of his restaurant during the derby one year.

jetsssuck, it doesn’t go further than page 85 for me.

77. Try Pod says:

RIP Percy Sledge.

Bobby Flay’s is excellent, and not just the steak. The one in Atlantis was phenomenal, and I also enjoyed his steakhouse in AC.

Stanger, it should be fun watching how the secondary plays out – CB, S and the other nickel and dime roles.

Think S is set. But then who knows what happens on either position if we take a value talent pick in the first.

I want to see where Delmas is at after a late season knee injury that required surgery.

Oh, Percy Percy Me . . . . RIP Percy.

Beefsteak Charlies!!!! We used to get trashed there for birthdays, with all the free beer. We also ate enough ribs to build a dinosaur park. lol

Any of you guys eat at Smashburger?

Stanger – I hope S isn’t set. I’m not sure anyone besides Jones is a starter.

Mike E, Smashburger is good, quality food there. Just not my favorite.

My dark horse is Walt Aikens at safety along with Jones and I’m sticking to it.

Best meat I’ve ever had didn’t come from a fancy steak house. Our rugby “Spring Fest” in college included a pit, a bonfire next to it, and a whole back quarter of a cow covered in foil…..and a bunch of beer. It was an all-night affair. Every hour or so, logs to the fire, embers from the bottom added to the pit, seasoned oil poured on top…….and at noon the next day slice up and choose which meat you wanted.

But then I was drunk and hungry as hell by that point…..would love to taste the same on a plate tonight to compare.

87. jetsssuck says:

1976–Miami goes from 10-4 in 1975 to 6-8, resulting in trades that owner Joe Robbie later says were designed to eliminate drug-users from the team.

1977–Miami Dolphins Don Reese and Randy Crowder are imprisoned for a year for selling cocaine.

Wow I forgot about Steak & Ale. I loved that place.

Former Dolphins, Chiefs and Texans G Wade Smith announced his retirement.
    Smith, a third-round pick of the Dolphins back in 2003, made 98 starts and one Pro Bowl. He’ll be remembered most as the Texans’ reliable left guard from 2010-13, never missing a game. Smith will turn 34 later this month. “Now I am looking forward to creating new starts for our youth, tackling literacy and scoring many more touchdowns through the Wade Smith Foundation,” he said.

90. I blame Coach Shula for ISIS, Global Warming and the severe drought in California

• jetsssuck says:

if you doubt me then why don’t you buy the book. Page 86 is the page I told you about.Maybe you have wait for the page to download or you need a special google app to read. You profess to be a big fan of the miami dolphins then i would think you would read everything about that particular season. Being civil is all I’m asking no need to make remarks that belittle this reflects badly on one self.

91. Best steak I ever had was my Mom’s – she used to buy steak from Penn Dutch in Hollywood – never had as good a steak as she used to cook…R.I.P. Mom.

Even if mine was a good but not great cook, nothing like what Mom made…no matter what it was. But don’t get me started on my grandma’s chick’n dumplings or biscuits and gravy.

92. jetsssuck says:

June 14, 1982–Former Dolphin Reese, after undergoing treatment, recounts in a national sports magazine his escalating drug involvement in the five years since his arrest. He identifies teams–San Diego, New Orleans and Miami in particular–and players with drug problems, focusing on San Diego running back Chuck Muncie. The story is controversial, initially prompting denials and disclaimers, particularly from Muncie. But its impact is undeniable as players increasingly reveal their involvements and treatments.

January, 1983–Former Miami star running back Eugene (Mercury) Morris is sentenced to 20 years in prison for cocaine trafficking and another five years for conspiracy.

February, 1983–St. Louis linebacker E.J. Junior pleads guilty to a charge of cocaine possession.

July, 1983–Rozelle suspends Junior and three other players, Cincinnati Bengals Pete Johnson and Ross Browner and Saint George Stemrick, without pay for the first four games of 1983 because of cocaine use.
    4 former players named here.pete johnson came to miami and played briefly

Try

I don’t recall Steak and Ale. Not sure if they had any in my neck o’ the woods.

Least in CT round where I grew up Steak and Ale the place where you get served underage…..a certain respect came with that. It was sorta a Sizzler-type spot though.

I believe the one I went to was in Ramsey, NJ.

• Try Pod says:

Not sure of their range.. used to be one on Killian @ Kendall. I know that doesn’t mean much to you, but that’s the one I was familiar with…

Page 86 is down the street from Area 51.

When I was a kid I loved Rustler Steak House. You’d get a t-bone steak, baked potato and a buttered bread.

• Try Pod says:

There was a place in the late 80’s called Charcoals. Specialty was prime rib. 16 oz. steak, baked potato, salad and bread for $12+/-. Of course that would be about $30 now…

96. Try Pod says:

Since we’re bring food nostalgic, I’ve got to say my favorite restaurant from childhood is Sweden House. Place
    Was
    Awesome.

Once we were 18, almost every birthday, until we were about 21, was spent with my friends at Beefsteak Charlies, and inevitably, we ate too much, definitely drank too much, had a food fight, and got thrown out. lol

The page won’t toggle past page 85 for me. I’m not going to spend anymore time on it because I ultimately don’t care. LOL

99. jetsssuck says:

I have better things to do than discuss things that people fail to accept as the truth when given proof and ways to the truth. I believed everyone on this site was dolphin fans who would know or would explore all facts but evidently I was wrong in this belief. No need to belittle anyone.

I trust you that there was an implication that Shula just looked the other way, but I still don’t blame him if he did. Players in every sport drank too much, and I don’t the think the responsibility to stop that falls on the Head Coach, or manager if it’s baseball. I think disparaging Shula strikes a nerve in certain people.

• Both Tim and I cannot get to that Page – mine goes only to Page 76 I tried whatever arrows etc and nothing. I googled the topic and same thing. Again, why don’t you just post what was allegedly said verbatim and point to the exact page(s) and paragraphs. Instead you post articles about every player from the Fins busted during that era. Have a nice day.

100. Condoning players drinking beer after work does not equate to Shula condoning drug use.

I’m LMAO to myself…..sorta like Dudley Moore in Arthur.

The big rage fest is about a tech access problem. Sorta like this new world, even if Bat, Jahn, Randy and ffr in a cage match would be interesting. 🙂

102. Try Pod says:

I have no dog in the fight. My reading of page 86 implies Shula was aware of drug use but looked the other way. I did not read where it was explicitly stated he condoned it. That is not to say he did or did not condone it, just that it does not state it either way.

Dolphins Dir. of Player Personnel 1974-1993

Shula probably had people tell him Don, everyone is doing that shit, you’re not going to stop it.

“That environment, he said, has brought him to the point where ”I hate the N.F.L.” ”A cocaine cloud covers the entire league,” he said. ”I think most coaches know this or have a good idea. Except the dumb ones. Dick Nolan must have suspected that we were on the stuff in New Orleans because he asked me about it a couple of times. Don Shula was too sharp to let it go by unnoticed in Miami, and we had to be extra careful around him.”

106. jetsssuck says:

Gigi (@Mrs2620) says:
    April 14, 2015 at 3:06 pm

———————————————————————-
    not to make things hard for everyone but 1 year in training camp Shula let his players drink beer for rehydrating during practices. I’m gonna let you guys look this up.

After much research, have determined that at one point in time Coach Don actually was paid to support coke.

As I thought couldn’t have less respect for Lawrence Phillips. Here’s how he ended up in prison.

“Phillips has been in prison since 2008 after convictions of crimes including……trying to run down a group of teenagers over a dispute about a pickup football game.”

Free agent WR Greg Jennings is expected to visit the Saints.
    At least per NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport, that was “the plan” following Jennings’ Monday visit with the Jaguars. A deal with the Jags does not appear imminent. The Saints are down a man at receiver after trading away Kenny Stills, but it’s unlikely they’d view a 31-year-old Jennings as his sole replacement.

110. Al in MIA says:

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout now12 seconds ago

Matt Miller retweeted Rand Getlin

Love this kid. Wonder if they’d have to grab him Rd2 though.

Matt Miller added,
    Rand Getlin @Rand_Getlin
    The #Falcons met with former UM TE Clive Walford in Miami this past weekend, a source said.

111. Al in MIA says:

I kinda liked Jimmy Johnson’s rule …I don’t care what you do as long as you make plays on the field lol.

112. Al in MIA says:

Dane Brugler retweeted
    Brian McCarthy ‏@NFLprguy 2m2 minutes ago

here’s what #DraftTown will look like in Chicago. Football nirvana, no ticket needed & free

jetsssuck says:
    April 14, 2015 at 1:41 pm

i remember the black angus on miami beach

well, i have done some things on the beach but not that one. and people around here call me the perv.

LMAO!!!

Come on guys
    It is really hard to beleive players were doing drugs under Shula and Shula looked away or at least chose not to look into it
    That is not exactly bombastic stuff
    and I have no reason to doubt it

If any of you think Shula was a boyscout I think you are mistaken
    And good for him
    I fucking hate boyscouts…..lol

• Try Pod says:

I have no problem believing he was aware of drug usage. I would not feel comfortable saying he condoned it, but I could see him practicing a “as long as I don’t see it/it doesn’t affect my team” attitude.

116. Try Pod says:

“I race cars, I play tennis, I fondle women, but I have weekends off, and I am my own boss.”

I heard Shula would steal the drugs from his players when they were in the showers and then sell it to children.

118. Al in MIA says:

Benjamin Allbright retweeted
    Nick Timiraos ‏@NickTimiraos 2h2 hours ago

Nearly one in six NFL players files for bankruptcy within 12 years of their retirement http://on.wsj.com/1FFHGxW

Try, did you go to the world fair in Chicago?

120. Al in MIA says:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk now11 seconds ago

Matt Cassel says the Bills have all the pieces of the puzzle in place http://wp.me/p14QSB-9KAN
    ——
    Only one person believes him …

LOL

121. Al in MIA says:

Ian Rapoport retweeted
    NFL Network ‏@nflnetwork 3m3 minutes ago

We’re about to reveal the players who have accepted invitations to the 2015 #NFLDraft in Chicago.

LOL Try — think you and I are the only ones following the theme, but he sure did hate that moose.

123. jetsssuck says:

Here’s something for OD—-Mercury frequently is spotted at Washington Redskin games rooting on his nephew, Alfred Morris

124. Al in MIA says:

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler now3 seconds ago

Highest rated NFL prospects on my board who won’t be at the #NFLDraft: QB Winston, WR Cooper, QB Mariota, DT Brown, OT Clemmings, CB Peters

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolin 1m1 minute ago
    26 players confirmed to attend the #NFLDraft, but no QBs http://ow.ly/i/amLCG

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 18s18 seconds ago
    Leonard Williams, Todd Gurley among 26 prospects to be present at draft in Chicago http://wp.me/p14QSB-9KB1

125. Al in MIA says:

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly now4 seconds ago

#Dolphins plan to re-sign former UM receiver LaRon Byrd http://fw.to/IMWlBka

Try, Stanger

Love Arthur. Very entertaining movie. One of my favorite lines, besides “He’s taking the knife out of the cheese” is a very innocuous line but it always cracks me up. When he’s going to visit Linda at her apartment, and he’s trashed (As per usual), he stumbles out of his car and falls over a hedge and says (to the hedge) “Ooh you’re a hedge!”. I know it’s silly, but it’s funny to me.

127. Try Pod says:

If you knew Susan, like I know Susan, oh, I- need- a drink…

128. Try Pod says:

Yes. You obviously have a wonderful economy with the English language, Gloria. I look forward to your next syllable with fast eagerness.

“A real woman could stop you from drinking. ”

“It’d have to be a real BIG woman.”

Jetsuck said at 6:16,”Mercury is frequently seen at Redskins’ games rooting for his nephew Alfred Morris.” A fellow FAU alum told me several years ago he thought he saw Mercury at an FAU home game rooting for Morris. This is the first I’ve heard of it since then. GOD DAMN JEFFROE for not even taking a close look at Morris, who’s run for 4,000 his first 3 years in the NFL on a pretty shitty football team!!
    ————
    Tomorrow, Mercury and the rest of his pals from the 1972 Miami Dolphins will take on the St. Louis Football Cardinals from the historic Orange Bowl in game 11 of ABSOLUTE PERFECTION.—Dandy Don Meredith, Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell will be at the microphones as all of America will finally see what these undefeated Dolphins are all about. –Remember, NFL telecasts were mostly regional in nature way back then. Many parts of the country had yet to see any live games featuring the Greatest NFL team of all time. But, finally, Monday Night Football would show the Dolphins live to all who wanted to see them!! –Miami was banged-up after the sensational but brutal game 8 days ago vs. the hated Jets. Paul Warfield, and a couple of other players, would be forced to sit this one out. Would the back-up players come through, or would there be a letdown against St. Louis? Find out as the Old Dolfan takes you to heaven (AKA a Monday Night Game in the Orange Bowl) as the Miami Dolphins continue their relentless pursuit of the NFL’s one and only PERFECT SEASON!
    ———–
    Hope all of you enjoy this modest effort. By 6 AM tomorrow, mw and Mrs. OD will already be on the road from Tampa to the Chattanooga area to spend time with family and do a convention. –We’ll get to see our recently born 5th Great Grandchild for the first time!! –Talk to all of you again in about 6 days.
    —-
    That should read “me and Mrs. OD”

I knew Artrhuir was gonna be a great funny movie from the opening scenes…LOL “You’re a HOOKA?”

Ohio State WR Devin Smith “was the best downfield receiver in all of college football last season,” according to ESPN’s Todd McShay.
    “He has sprinter’s speed (4.42 40-yard dash) with great burst off the line and a second gear to out-run defensive backs, he uses subtle head and shoulder fakes to help gain separation, he excels at tracking the deep ball and he has impressive body control to shield himself from defenders and come down with the catch,” McShay wrote. The 6-foot, 200-pound vertical threat posted 12 touchdowns on 33 receptions in 2014, leading the NCAA with a score every 2.75 catches.

• Brian in NY says:

He’s a sleeper who I think is going to gain momentum in the upcoming weeks. With all of the receivers slated to go in the first, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go somewhere in the 2nd.

Yes, I think him & Dorsett go in the 2nd to teams that need a WR but passed in the 1st.

Jarvis Landry featured on “hey rookie ” currently on NFLN

I wonder if Miami’s offer was less than this. I wonder where are offer to Jennings is? Probably close to this I’d think, but Jennings probably doesn’t want the incentives with a guy like Landry, Cameron, & Stills on the team.

Brian, it didn’t look like that ball hit the batter. I don’t care what Ron and Keith said it sounded like, it went right past him and into the glove.

• Brian in NY says:

X rays were negative, but he’s been diagnosed with a bruise. I couldn’t tell if he was hit, but I was leaning towards yes.

Matty I ‏@TheMattyI · 2h2 hours ago
    I mean, I credit @omarkelly for his effort. He’s constantly tweeting. Unfortunately he makes Dolphins fans dumber. That’s my issue w/ him.

Uh-Oh! What x-rays? Don’t be talking about x-rays when Harvey is on the hill!

Flores and Cuddyer got hit in the hand batting and Cuddyer left the game because of it. Then they called Harvey for hitting a guy and he didn’t. See my comments below on this game.

Mets/Phillies – this is a strange and horribly umpired game.

139. naplesfan2010 says:

I’d rather have Gordon than Gurley.
    I think Gurley will get hurt every year.

140. naplesfan2010 says:

If we trade up to Pick 4 to make sure we get Kevin White, what would we need to give up to Oakland?
    Is our Pick 14, plus our 4th and 6th enough?
    Or would it take our 1st, 2nd, and 6th?
    Would that be a good thing for our team?

Another late night drive by and I seem to be here by myself. Nice job Piggy. One exception I would say is David Overstreet. He bolted to Canada after we drafted him and came back in Marino’s rookie year and won the starting job late in the season and looked great. He then died in a car accident in the off season. I have often wondered what would have happened if he had not been in the accident. I think it would have been a dynasty. Overstreet would have given us that run game that we always lacked during Marino’s years.

142. naplesfan2010 says:

I also like Bryce Hager out of Baylor in the 6th
    ILB runs a 4.6 40 @ 6’1 235
    was a RB so has pretty good cover skills.
    Some think he could be a FB in the NFL.
    would be great ST ace.

143. naplesfan2010 says:

Quick Question
    The Rolling Stones will soon play in Atlanta at the GaTech football field.
    */*/
    without looking it up
    who is older?
    Rolling Stones oldest band member?
    or the Ga Tech football field?
    Hint:
    the field is the oldest FBS field in America.
    Hint 2:
    The Stones are the oldest rock band still playing stadium venues.
    Ever.

144. naplesfan2010 says:

I read an article saying we have an open line of communication to trade up with Oakland every year, and we are going to do that this year to get White. All our other needs are covered. We can get ILB, FS, and OL depth in the 4th and two 5ths. Something about throwing in our 2016 2nd (which would be in the high 20s).

I want Amari Cooper but I would be happy with White as well. Both are worth trading up for imo.

Ken, I love White & Cooper, but I just see Perriman’s potential as White/Cooper 2.0.
        But of FO knows more than we do, as they have a bit better viewing angle…lol

Perriman has nice measurables but I think he is a far way off from being White or Cooper. His hands are inconsistent, he played against much lesser competition and has not produced on the level of Cooper or White despite being against lesser competition. Perriman is very raw and will be a work in progress. He may turn out good but Cooper can line up and play tomorrow, White is just a notch more raw but has even better athleticism than Cooper.

You have to factor In whether Oakland doesn’t want a top 4 guy
    And whether some one like Philadelphia with offer them more for MRiotta

I think we have to accept that this team is trying to make the playoffs to make a run. We’re not setting up for development which was Ireland’s biggest mistake. He did that for 3-4 years. We have a lot of developmental players already. I think we want to target special now. I’m all for it.

Ireland couldn’t draft a scheme player if one bit him on the ass. Hickey took a look at all of Jeffies trash this offseason and sent them packing.

GDP,
    I don’t think that we are looking for 2.0’s anymore; we are going for 1.0’s.

148. naplesfan2010 says:

I’d rather resign Knowshon or draft Karlos Williams than waste a first on Gurley or Gordon.
    */*/
    But wow what if we took Gordon at Pick 14 AND Waller in the 4th.
    AJ Cann the OG in the 2nd and FS / ILB depth / STers in the 5th and Blake Bell the TE in the 6th.
    */*/
    That is a PACKED draft.

I don’t want Gordon. To me he is Lamar Miller 2.0. Gurley however is a beast. I love Gurley but his injury history does scare me. His talent though is off the charts. Best RB prospect since AP.

• Brian in NY says:

Knowshon is an injury wating to happen. I’d draft Gurley in a second at 14. IMO, he’s going to be special. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, return kicks, etc.

That’s what I thought about AP Brian.

• Brian in NY says:

Yeah. AP came back at full tilt after he tore his ACL, so maybe Gurley can do the same. The players recover so mush faster and better nowadays, particularly because of the medical advancements.

Speakin my language 🙂

I have a hard time seeing Oakland move out of the 4 spot. They have such a glaring need at WR and they are in line to land the top WR in the draft at 4. It would seem to me a no brainer and stay put and get White or Cooper. You trade down to 14 and the odds getting them are close to 0.

They should trade down to #14 for an additional 4th

• Brian in NY says:

Mckenzie is from the GB staff -he learned fro some of the best personnel men in the game (Wolfe and Thompson). He knows the value of drafting well, and has done that in the past few drafts (trade down with us in 2013, Kahlil Mack in 2014). Everyone expects the Raiders to make these wild card picks that they used to do, and I just don’t see that trend with them anymore.

His draft record up until last year has not been good but last year he may have hit a couple of home runs with Mack and Carr.

• Brian in NY says:

Not true Ken. He had no first or second round pick in 2012. In 2013, he drafted Hayden, Watson and Murray. Murray was a beast last year before he got hurt.

Brian, Ken, Tim – I know we want 1’s and not 2’s, but White Cooper don’t seem that far ahead of Perriman to me. They will likely be more consistent on day one, but I see Perriman as every bit the big play maker with his speed and physicality as they have.
    That’s what we want right away….a big play here and there…we have Landry, Stills, & Cameron for consistency and to get the majority of targets….which in turn frees up a guy like Perriman to win big on single coverage….IMO.

I guess that is where we differ. I see Cooper and White as light years ahead of Perriman. It’s not the measureables. It’s the polish and skill. They are much more advanced than Perriman at this point imo. In terms of pure athleticism Perriman may be better but Cooper and White are by far the superior WRs.

• Brian in NY says:

I agree with Ken. WE would be HOPING that Perriman could get there; White and Cooper are already there.

We see these WRs run these low 4.2 and 4.3 40s and sometimes forget (Clyde Gates), they really aren’t football players. Jerry Rice wasn’t very fast enough said…

When you have the speed a lot of times you avoid contact, because you can, and it hurts you in the NFL.

McKenzie has not done much to be that proud of…I think he’s on a short rope now.

Alright guys. It’s a work night and I need my beauty rest. I am out. Peace to you all.

Guess we’ll know more when we see White, Cooper, & Perriman on the field at the next level.

I think white and cooper are pretty Far ahead of the the WR prospects
    I would say “and not looking back”
    But who knows what happens in a few years

There are other WRs I prefer to cooper – but I think it’s hard to argue that cooper is. It the 1st or 2nd best prospect

I think the likelihood of hitting on an elite player is just stronger if you are trading up to get one of those two

But I hate to give up picks

Steve,

That’s exactly right. You see these guys who are decent recievers (not special) in college skyrocketing up the boards because they ran crazy fast at their pro days.

David Wright pulled his hamstring tonight. Lovely.

157. Try Pod says:

It’s a shame they couldn’t find a way to get Gibson into at least one scene of Fury Road.

The Mets would have lost this game last year. Just saying.

They’re now a M*A*S*H unit but they battled through it winning 6-5.

This game had everything – it was strange, horribly umpired, weird calls and circumstances, bad fundamental baseball. But it’s a W. LOL

Brian, I liked Perriman way before he ran a eye popping time in the 40.
    I agree with Steve on the Clyde Gates thing with speed.
    However, what keeps bringing me back to Perriman is his strength, his physical play, his ability to track and fight for balls. Clyde Gates never had that nor did Ginn, they just had speed.
    Perriman is like a bigger, better, more physical more complete Mike Wallace 😉

• Brian in NY says:

I hear you. He’sjust a bit too unpolished for what we need right now IMO.

I don’t know about that, I really don’t think we need a real polished WR, but we do need one that has a high ceiling. We’ll be able to move the ball, we just need someone to get it into the endzone, Cameron helps, but we need another big un.

GD, yes! I think both White or Cooper fit our scheme and make a big difference right away. I think Cooper is more savvy but White is bigger and faster with more ultimate upside. I think we hit on either.

When it’s all said and done, we’ll find out 10 of the 20 WRs everyone loves were no big deal. Happens every draft. I’d be shocked if Cooper and White aren’t the real deal. I think either one makes us a better team. I don’t think we need much depth, if you’ve noticed we’ve been signing proven STs/backups/competitors at the 3rd tier in FA. We already have over a dozen 2nd-4th year players.

We need to keep adding special.

Yeah, what happened to Pig’s Samurai from a few yrs ago, not many really that good after 2 seasons.

Happens every year.

The way this team is setting up I’d do a Jimmy Johnson type trade and move up to 4 or 5 and trade next year’s pick whatever it may be. We should be able to find another guard to compete. We need and offensive playmaker. We addressed the defense with Suh in a big way, he changes a lot.

Here’s the deal:
        Offense
        Albert, Pouncey, James
        Cameron/Sims
        Tannehill
        Miller/Williams
        Landry, Stills, Matthews etc.?

Defense
        Wake, Suh, Mitchell, Vernon
        Misi, Jenkins, etc.
        Grimes, Taylor, McCain, Thomas, Jones, Aikens, Delmas(?)

We’re not going to be great everywhere but let’s get special and stop loading up for a few years from now. Add another playmaker. We already have a lot of young players competing for jobs.

Tim, I like Cooper & White, but I just don’t see either as that special can’t live without guy worth trading up for…IMO.
    Ken mentioned dropped passes for Perriman….well Cooper had his share of focus drops too.
    So I keep going back to physical…I like how physical Perriman can be. I like his pedigree too.

They say you can teach a guy to not have the drops, I don’t agree, if the WR has small hands, otherwise I can see how that can be taught.

Chiefs RCB Sean Smith has been sentenced to two years probation in his June 2014 drunk-driving case.
    Although he’s now square with the law, Smith will likely be facing a two-game suspension. Going on 28 and headed into the final year of his contract, Smith was one of the better cornerbacks in the league last season. He graded out No. 5 overall in Pro Football Focus’ corner ratings.

And while I’m at it, I’ve been following the bearded coconut on Twitter. He keeps telling people how much BS is spread this time of yr, then he tells people his knowledge is far superior to 99% of the people, because he talks to the NFL experts (those same people that are spreading the BS).

DeAndre Jordan sets a Clippers record

With his 1,217th rebound of the season, Jordan is the new single-season rebounding leader in Clippers franchise history. Oh, and we still have 3 quarters left in the Clips’ season. Los Angeles leads the Suns by 6 after the first.

I don’t know what league the Clippers are playing in, because everyone else in the NBA finishes their seasons this week 😉

Tim, I want special too.
    If you remember, I was probably the first on this blog, even before Suh, that said we need to swing for the fences this offseason, especially with Philbin and probably Hickey in a so called Playoffs or Bust lame duck year.
    Is why I was touting DGB very early on, and caught some flack for it because of his character, but I maintained, who cares, Philbin & Hickey need to hit a homerun. So I saw a guy like DGB as a boom or bust on character type prospect, a BIG weapon for Tanny to find in the redzone.
    Hickey is thinking along the same way, he swings for the fences with the risky (concussions) FA signing of Cameron.

Again, I like Cooper & White, White more, and maybe they are special….but I think a good GM can find special in different spots in the draft…special for his team, for his QB play, for his defense schemes, etc.

Will be exciting to see how it plays out with other teams picking as well. That’s the monkey wrench…lol

Now pitching for the Seattle Mariners Charlie Furbush!