DAY 3 of the NFL Draft

DRAFT DAY 3 WRAP UP

DolphinsLogo2

The Dolphins went DB crazy on Day 3.

But they also made a couple of moves that should make the “we need to run the ball” enthusiasts happy.

There were no Trade Ups or Trade Downs in Day 3.

In the 4th Round with the 114th pick the Dolphins selected the big guy you’ve been waiting for.

Jamil Douglas

Jamil Douglas is a 6’4, 304 pound offensive guard and is said to be a good fit in a zone blocking scheme.

Then the 5th round frenzy began!

With their first pick in the 5th round, #145, the Dolphins selected Good Ole’ Bobby McCain, a 5’9 CB from Memphis.  Every time you say his name, you can also hear the sound of a harmonica playing…try it!

Bobby McCain

Just 4 picks later, with the 149th pick of the NFL draft, the Dolphins drafted what some are describing as a steal.  The very productive Jay Ajayi is now a Miami Dolphin!

Jay Ajayi can do it all:  Run, Catch and Block!

Jay Ajayi

^^^^^^^

Gonna run you over!!!

The Dolphins had back to back picks in the 5th.  So with the very next pick, the Dolphins took their 2nd DB of the draft.

With the 150th pick of the NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins selected Cedric Thompson, a free safety from Minnesota.

Cedric Thompson

Think the Dolphins are done at DB?  NOPE!

Well, maybe nope…

With their final pick of the 5th round and final pick of the Draft, the Dolphins selected Tony Lippett, the wide receiver/cornerback.

Lippett started games at Michigan State at both WR and CB.  Many scouts project him as a CB in the NFL.

This pick might take time to develop.  Trust me this pic is an interception return…

Nebraska v Michigan State

LET’S GO 2015!

DolphinsOcean

This entry was posted in Dolphins News. Bookmark the permalink.

737 Responses to DAY 3 of the NFL Draft

1. rgs322 says:

I am one who usually doesn’t complain about getting D-lineman, but the laziness and back problems do concern me with Phillips. …Back problems and DT are usually a very bad combination, especially before ever taking a snap in the NFL. I guess the one silver lining is at least it wasn’t a first round pick being used.

Also, I was bummed when Amos was picked a few spots in front of us. Him along with Ajayi, McCain, and Lippet would have made the 5th round great. As is the round was still pretty damn good.

2. Al in MIA says:

To me Coyle got all wierd with his play calling once his DB were falling like flies.
    Funny enough, when his LB were going down, he put his extra resources up front with 5-2 type formation calls. When the DB went down, his solution was to add more secondary guys to cloud space but that to me is always a losing proposition vs stacking the DL and cutting off any chance to throw. He simply had zero confidence in DB winning individual battles (in formations where the front 7 were going to rush in).

Right, circumstances create issues. Look at what happened to the all mighty 49ers when they got hit with a ton of injuries. There are reasons for things. It’s not like coaches say I’m gonna start calling plays that make no sense for no reason. LOL

We did it two years in a row now. We discussed just about every one except who we actually picked. It’s fun though we get to learn about these guys as we head towards camp opening.

So is there anything else we need other than an LB? And I’m thinking about a cap cut vet to bring in.

DBs, DL, T, C, WR, RB, QB seem well set. TE or G?

• Al in MIA says:

TE and FS seem the weakest areas…WR depth maybe could be better but its ok. A veteran will be signed im sure between now and week 1 or regular season. There are always those June 1st cap casualties and tough last day of camp cuts for teams deep at WR.

We just drafted a FS though. Seems they are least hoping for him to be active, if just for STs.

5. Al in MIA says:

Daryl Gardener and Tim Bowens were considered lazy back in the day, no?

• Al in MIA says:

During the draft process I mean.

Yeah the typical flash of greatness but then disappear at times. This has been the typical report on big men since I’ve been following the draft.

Lest we forget our 3rd round pick! 🙂

In addition to the seven picks, it should be noted that the draft also essentially delivered Kenny Stills, who came over in a trade with the New Orleans Saints for Miami’s third-round pick and linebacker Dannell Ellerbe.

Unlike rookies who still have to show they can perform at the NFL level, Stills revealed himself in his first two seasons to be a quality deep threat.

7. new age says:

Such was pretty dominant especially after the Lions got a good coach. Caldwell isnt even a great coach and they almost went to the champ game. I’m pretty sure we have something special with Suh and a fat guy who does party flips.

I still think we wanted one of the early LBs and there was zero value at OG at 47 or 52. The guys picked in the second were as much projects as Phillips in a year we keep talking about needing solid production instead of projects. Our OL was pretty solid last year with Alberts there so I’m glad we chose to fix the ever disappointing DL instead.

8. Al in MIA says:

Feels so wierd finally being able to smile again after a draft with a guy like Hickey picking players instead of Ireland, LOL.

Al, if Delmas can’t go early on and I’m not sure how he can due to when he injured his knee, I still say Aikens will start opposite Jones and I think he’ll be a good one. Maybe Thomas or maybe Thompson. So I think we have good competition at safety.

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins · 13m13 minutes ago
    Over 500,000 meals have already been packed!

#StrongerTogether

 Earl and Michael Thomas

11. bat says:

Tim … so Coyle didn’t trust the coverage skills of his DB’s and his solution was to dial back the pressure so they needed to maintain coverage longer? … Such a clever gambit … Worked very well …lol

• Al in MIA says:

Highlight of it during the season? The play call vs Detroit on their game winning TD play but that’s in the past at least. Time to look forward :). I have almost blocked out the 2 man pash rush on 3rd and 20 vs the Broncos as well lol.

12. Al in MIA says:

Jahn,
    “small wager” on your OL prediction?
    You are on…amount? this always works LOL

Pre-draft my biggest concerns were OL, WR, LB, RB, DB.
    Post draft my biggest concerns are OL and LB. We didn’t do much to address those positions this off season.

14. jahndoh says:

Good stuff you’re sharing today Wyo. Thanks!

I like our draft with the notable exception of Jordan Phillips. Seems like a reach on position we are pretty well set at.

16. Al in MIA says:

Thomas for sure. While I really Aikens upside, not sure he’s there consistency wise to start right now. He has alot of ability and very good instincts that will carry him beyond his inexperience for sure and that’s something to smile about.

17. naplesfan2010 says:

Miami Dolphins

Best Pick: I love second-round defensive tackle Jordan Phillips. He will be a better NFL player than he showed at Oklahoma. Playing next to Ndamukong Suh will really help his game.

Questionable move: Waiting until the fourth round to pick an offensive lineman on a team that needs help up front.

Third-day gem: Fourth-round pick Jamil Douglas was a tackle at ASU last year, but I think he can be a dominant guard, his original position.

Analysis: The Dolphins had a nice draft. Whoever was making the picks — whether it was Dennis Hickey or Mike Tannenbaum — deserves a lot of credit. First-round pick DeVante Parker will be a nice target for Ryan Tannehill. The first two picks were outstanding.

Grade: A

The team said they liked the depth in the draft at Oline, I’m sure that played into their thinking. You invest in early Oline picks at T and C not G.

When a QB can’t step up to throw the throws tend to be less accurate. I see that happening a lot this yr.

I hate the idea of grading drafts. Even as much as I despise the Phillips pick there is no way to know how anybody drafted until these kids put on the pads and line up against real competition on Sundays

Bat, I’m not saying that Coyle is perfect and everything he does is great, all coaches make mistakes. But to call him cautious is to ignore 1,000’s of other plays he called since he’s been here.

When you blitz and don’t get there and that happened as well you expose your backup DBs who are playing.

If he calls a blitz and we get burned we say why would he blitz with no names playing in the secondary? If he goes max coverage and we don’t get pressure we say why not blitz there? You know how it goes. LOL

I concur with Bat. Too often last year, especially in critical passing downs we went to a 3 or even 2 man rush and tried to play coverage. The supposed strength of our D was the pass rush. I didn’t get some of those schemes.

Well like I said in the post you replied to. We also got burned by Geno Smith blitzing with guys in the secondary who may not even be on the team this year. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t. It always comes down to talent and we were playing pretty thin on defense down the stretch. The same on the OL. But we get guys back this year and have added more so hopefully the injury bug doesn’t bite as much this year.

I didn’t see what we were doing schematically as a result of injuries. I also thought we didn’t pressure Geno Smith enough that last game too. There was stuff early on in the year that was head scratching like having Wake cover RBs out of the backfield vs. KC.

21. Al in MIA says:

Naples,
    Every year you find those shorter type productive college tackles that move inside in the NFL because of shorter arms or shorter height.
    Last year it was Joel Bitonio, Billy Turner, Austin Wentworth, etc.
    Douglas is a good pick and scheme fit and should do nicely (better than Thomas at OG IMO).

22. bat says:

Tim .. I don’t care who is in the secondary, the aggressive approach is always better ..IMO .. Force the QB to make a quick decision and maybe make a mistake, if you get burned, at least you gave it a shot. Sitting back in coverage with no pressure is just conceding completions.

Douglas, Walton, Lickhersomewhere and the other Guard we brought in plus resigning Fox with an emerging Turner lying in wait and no matter who plays G they will be surrounded by first rounders and we add Ajayi to the backfield. Y’all are greedy or blind or something, it’ll be fine.

So is Lippett a WR or a DB? I like him at WR. I saw a fair amount of MSU last year as I was checking out Connor Cook who is likely a 1st round QB next year. I came away impressed with Lippett at WR.

25. Al in MIA says:

I have no problems with a failed blitz (yes, im aware fans will complain about any play failing) knowing that its a better chance than some DB who will be outmatched anyway with a regular rush. I’m a believer in playing into your strength and letting the chips fall where they may especially in a game deciding situation as the Detroit game.

Our pass rush was declining down the stretch no?

I love pressure on defense and being aggressive and Coyle always has been when we’re at full strength. It comes down to talent and execution, you know that.

Let’s hope we’re better and deeper this year and it’s not an issue.

For Jahn

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP · 2h2 hours ago
    .@funkybuddhabrew I know he’s not Gurley, but will you consider making an Ajayi Brew? If you want to see him in action first, I understand.

Funky Buddha
    ‏@funkybuddhabrew @AbramsonPBP actually hoped we would take him in the 4th, so I was pumped to grab him in the 5th! Ajayi brew would have to be an English Ale

We go through the same cycles here. It’s just the way it is. We go from having concerns, and then when they aren’t addressed, some fall in line with the propaganda that everything was fine with the O-line last year (IT WASN’T), and then we just chalk it up to Hickey-Philbin -Benton-Lazor know what they’re doing (THEY HAVEN’T YET), and some complain about it, but they get drowned out by the fall-in-liners. Rinse and repeat. It’s OK, I’m going to remain obstinate, and say this O-line still needs help, and I hope there is a surprise FA pickup along the way, maybe Evan Mathis is finally cut, and we pick him up without trading for him.

So unless you bless it none of us can think we’re fine. I’m going to remain excited and maybe Tannehill will start throwing the God damn ball to some of these big men instead of getting sacked.

No, I really didn’t say that, but I do see some who were concerned about the line now saying all is well. You stay excited, that’s silly. I’m not trying to bring anyone down at all, I just still think we have an issue.

28. Al in MIA says:

Ken,

DB I’m thinking; especially where he was picked (development range).

Here’s what was noted from MSU’s Pro Day:
    03/22/15 – Five Takeaways from this week’s Pro Day workouts: Michigan State much more than “just” Trae Waynes…Similarly, wideout Tony Lippett enjoyed a strong performance during positional drills, showing off impressive fluidity for his 6-foot-2 (and 5/8″), 191 frame and also catching the ball well. Lippett is a solid second-tier receiver prospect but some clubs see him projecting even better at cornerback, where he played occasionally for the Spartans. Following the workout, Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio had this to say about his versatile pass-catcher. “I heard one scout say [Lippett] has hawk awareness. He can pick the ball up at the blink of an eye and determine where it’s going and pick it. I really think today opened a lot of people’s eyes.” – Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

I join Mike E in his dissatisfaction with our OL.

You can’t have an all star at every position. You make sure the most important ones are taken care of first, then go from there. You can hide a guard that isn’t up to the task, not so much for a tackle.

Hididng a guard in our division is pretty hard. Both Jets and Bills have stud DTs, the Jets have 2 of them and the best DT in the draft. The Pats probably drafted the 2nd best DT in the draft. Too many good DTs in our division to have mediocre OGs. That 6 games where we will have matchup nightmares.

Looking on the bright side lets hope La’el Collins is cleared and we can add a 1st round talent to our OL.

If I was La’el and new I didn’t do anything…….I’d be thinking see you in 2016.

Why, if he is cleared now he has the dream ability of any college that he can pick and choose his offers amongst all 32 teams. If he is not happy with what is being offered then he can wait till 2016. But odds are if he waits till next year’s draft he is likely not going to be a high round pick because taking a year off is never a good thing.

From what I have read UDFA’s have financial limits on their contracts He would not be the same as a UFA. But then some of the new stories say he would not be eligible for the draft and a guaranteed contract anyhow next year. Think this is a new world for the NFL, but his agent did say he would sit out if not selected third round or higher.

31. Al in MIA says:

Funky Buddah is a nice South Florida brewery that makes all kinds of beers.
    Regarding a beer for Ajayi …Jai Alai is a niche sport that was once popular in Miami with the local crowed LOL and there is a beer by Cigar City (brewer from Tampa) called Jai Alai. Would be funny to see Funky Buddah go with a Jay Ajayi beer that looks like a spelling error of Jai Alai lol.

Gotta run for now. Peace.

33. naplesfan2010 says:

Boone wants out of SF. Do we have enough money to sign him?
    Chip Kelly says they have been trying to trade Mathis for 2 yrs without success. Are they just asking too much for him or does he suck in their system HINT: Our OC just came to us from their system, so if he sucks in that, we should not want him either.

34. Al in MIA says:

Blah,
    Wes Saxson signed with the Jets….big middle finger from me to them lol.

35. Al in MIA says:

Im out for now as well

Steve

Of course you can’t, but we just put over $100M into Suh, and we drafted a DT high. Hate it say it, but if Ireland did that (He did with Jordan), I’d bet the tolerance for that pick would even worse. have to admit that much. We drafted a position where he have a lot of young talent, and just spent a fortune on in FA, but the O-line which was weak, and without Albert it could be a lot weaker, wasn’t addressed. I’m not just sucking it up for the sake of sucking it up. I think it’s a problem.

Interesting!

Tom Vill
    ‏@TVill24 @alexmarvez it looks like La’el Collins is represented by Priority Sports – Tannenbaum’s old firm – is that correct?

Now I am really out. Peace.

39. naplesfan2010 says:

I am with Ken on this one at first glance. Lippett converted 85% of his catches into either TDs or First downs!!!!!! That is amazing and that is in the Big Ten not the Atlantic Sun. Why put that on the shelf and make him a cornerback?
    HOWEVER, it would be really nice to have a fast corner who is nearly 6 foot f’n 3 inches tall for a change and knows routes like a WR. Sherman East anybody?

I still don’t get La’el Collins’ options. Last I heard, he has no choice but to be an UDFA. He can’t enter the draft next year, and he won’t be allowed to enter the supplemental draft, so really, what are his options other than talk to a team, sign as UDFA, the max signing bonus is $90K, and maybe they can be creative with the contact $$$ and obviously the team that does sign him will have a shit ton of language protecting themselves against the possibility he may be dragged into a long investigation/trial OR, worse, convicted. It’s a very, very odd situation, one without precedence I believe.

I don’t believe he has an option!
      He is an UDFA
      If he had been drafted he could have refused to sign and been eligible for the 2016 draft!

But WTF do I know! 😉

Holy shit, talk about run-on sentences! LMAO!!

Wyo – That’s the deal right there. If he WAS drafted, he would have had the option to sit out this year, and enter next years draft. Now he can’t.

Later Ken!

Naples

That’s my hope man, that some vet OG gets cut, and we swoop in and pick them up, and it’s someone of the caliber of Mathis.

No shit Wyo? I like the sound of that bro!

44. new age says:

I don’t think anyone is ever completely satisfied. I just don’t know where the sudden fixes in the draft were supposed to come from. Were we supposed to reach in the first and not take Parker? Or was reaching in the second better? We still can get Mathis if he is dropped, or another OL. Reaching for a guy just makes us happy. It doesn’t really improve the team though.

Hickey has shown that he will draft a solid OL even when everyone else thinks it is a reach. Obviously, no one was worth the assumed reach this year. I think a division 3 guy going in the second shows there was no amazing OL talent out there when we could pick.

Like Turner last year?

• new age says:

Yes, I guess. Turner in the third shows Hickey is willing to bet on guys he thinks will work out. We didn’t have the ammo or maybe the desire to get an OF earlier than the fourth but I also like Douglas. I think he ends up doing a good job.

New Age, JMO of course, but both Jake Fisher and Ali Marpet were available in the 2nd RD, and both went not too long after our pick of Jordan Phillips. Who knows how much longer Phillips would have taken to get drafted, we’ll never know. Those 2 guys would have at least provided serious competition to 2 guys who IMO haven’t proven that they’re ready to start and play a full season. The 2 guys I mentioned were universally rated light years ahead Jamil Douglas. Doesn’t mean he can’t play, and doesn’t mean they can. but odds are, those 2 will be better players, and likely step into starting positions much quicker and more effectively.

I actually liked Douglas before the draft and ( as Tim like to remind everyone ) Mocked him to us in the 4th a bunch!

LG sophomore and junior year
    LT as a senior

What’s not to like?

46. jahndoh says:

I’ll make a Dolphin brew. You guys pick the guy by, say, end of October, and I’ll make a batch at my brewery (it better be open by then or we’re in deep shit!) and put it on tap. I’ll set a case aside to send for the Fest game whenever that is.

47. naplesfan2010 says:

I love the Parker pick and I am fine with trying to plug the gaping hole in the DL we had last year with a huge agile guy with a ton of upside.
    But to me the pick with the most potential to be a sleeper pick and to get us a victory that no one counted on is Ajayi. I predict he will break free with those little jump cuts and make two guys miss for “what proved to be the game-winning score” as they say. We have not had anyone with the “make ’em miss” sweet feet like Ajayi has in so long i do not even know who it would be.
    He is great at catching the ball AND pass-pro, two more areas of need for us.

48. jahndoh says:

Collins options are limited. Either A) Sign as an UDFA with a team, or B) sit out the season and re-enter next years’ draft. It is not legal under the CBA for him to enter the supplementary draft once he’s declared for the regular draft..so that is not an option. I guess a 3rd option would be to sit out he year and enter the 2016 supplementary draft, but that seems by far the worst of all the options.

Teams did not want to take the risk of drafting him. I’ve seen speculation that he sues somebody, but who’s he going to sue? The NFL can not dictate to teams who they have to draft and where.

I think nothing is going to happen until there’s clarity on the murder case, and that may mean he’s got no options at all except B, wait out the year and enter next season.

If they find a perp soon, and it’s not him, that’d be his best option. He could negotiate a deal as an UDFA that includes lots of incentive money for performance and earn back on the field some of what he lost by not being drafted early.

Jahn

Gil Brandt specifically said Collins CAN NOT enter the draft next year. He can sit out, but if he doesn’t sign, nothing changes for him really, until perhaps he’s cleared, and then at that time has more leverage. That’s a definite possibility.

New Age

I also remind you that Joel Bitonio, a similar player to Marpet played at Nevada, and transitioned very well to the NFL. Both very similar athletes.

I still think Thomas played OK at the OG position.
    He struggled when being moved to OT

Turner looked good on a couple of plays in a blow out?

If Douglas doesn’t start it’s not the end of the world!

If Albert can’t start the season you have a battle with Douglas and Turner for the LT
    The looser moves inside.

And we as fans we suck it up and take our licks, whine, complain, ETC, ETC
    😉

51. jahndoh says:

PS, I’m going to see the brewer from Funky Buddah at a festival in June, so even if he does one, we can still do a beer for a different player. Hell, could even do a collaboration with them. Would be fun!

Oh that’s cute now I’m silly. Enjoy your piss party, I’m out.

• jahndoh says:

??? Don’t go Son! I’m happy!

• naplesfan2010 says:

I think Mike meant it is silly to think he wants to rain on your parade, not that you are silly for being happy. He is fine that you are happy, but he is not happy.
      I am happy too.
      I think the last two years of FA signings and draft picks and UDFAs we’ve brought in are Boffo stupendous compared to the strange and ineffective mishmash we were getting before.

53. naplesfan2010 says:

I was not happy with the OG choices this year at all. After Scherrffff who was long gone before we picked. And tbh, i would’ve picked Gurley, Waynes, and Parker over him if all 4 were there for us.

54. jahndoh says:

Mike, I know for a fact that a guy who is drafted and doesn’t sign with his team for the year can re-enter the following years’ draft, but maybe since Collins went UNdrafted it’s a different deal. If that’s the story than clearly he has one option, sign as an UDFA.

• jahndoh says:

If an offer existed. I sincerely think the league has spoken and there’s no chance he gets an offer until this is cleared up to some degree or another.

Wyo,

You asked, so I’ll oblige you.

Jamil Douglas was ranked 185 overall by NFL Draftscout, 11 at OG.
    Jamil Douglas was ranked #15 at G, and I’m being kind, because a lot of the OT’s are going to play G, and Cam Erving was listed as a C

• jahndoh says:

Just watch the video on the kid. He’s talented. I watched him play, I think he was 2nd round talent. Soliai was a 4th rounder too. None of that matters. At this point you have to watch the video and decide if you like what you see.

Who was your 2nd round option? The D3 guy whom could’ve just as easily been fodder for “not doing enough to address the position” or who?

• naplesfan2010 says:

But as a Zone Blocking Guard he is seen as ideal.
      Plus he has a full season of experience at LT in a major major conference.
      I think Hickey was trying to do 3 things with one pick and he did it!!
      ZBS guy, help in case Albert can’t go, and emergency starter with long-term upside in case Dallas Thomas sucks in the preseason or Game One.

Son

Holy fuck! I didn’t say you were silly, I said it’s silly that you shouldn’t be excited. Read it again!

57. new age says:

Mike E,
    as piggy has mentioned, Fisher is an OT and was probably drafted to be one. I think fit is important. For Tampa, they had the 29th ranked rushing attack last year and were 2-14. So maybe they had to reach a bit more than the average team. Marpet will need time and he won’t be playing against the best DLs in the NFL. I don’t see Marpet transitioning as well as the media thinks he will. We will see.

Phillips was 1st round talent in the second round. Marpet is at best 2nd round talent. I’ll take better talent every time over reaching for needs.

Jahn

Bitonio played at Nevada, and played immediately, and started every game last season for the Browns. I don’t see any reason for Marpet to not do the same. They’re almost identical size and athletic ability, with Marpet actually outbenching Bitonio 30 -22

Mike E, not sure what the propaganda means. It’s relying on younger players getting better on the OL just like at other positions. That’s the science of building a good team, relying on young players you acquire to get better. We don’t have an established vet team who has won a lot, we’re trying to build that with a lot of young players.

Propaganda word was for effect. The fact is, many of us thought we needed O-line help, and frankly, I really don’t Jamil Douglas addressed it. That’s where am at. Same concerns as I had going into the draft, nothing magical happened to change it.

60. naplesfan2010 says:

I think pundits rating our draft overlook our getting Stills in the 3rd. How many third round picks will turn out to be as good as Stills already has shown to be in the NFL? And he is the same age as a bunch of the draftees who have never played a down in the Bigs.

61. naplesfan2010 says:

Mike … Buddy … we las more games from gettin our asses run on than we did by shoddy OL play.
    We had a 4000 yd passer and a 1000 yd rusher with that OL full of injuries.
    Nevada is a way higher competition program than Ho frickin Bart.
    Marpet might be good. We KNOW Jordan Phillips is good at a major major like Oklahoma.

62. jahndoh says:

Mike,

Nevada is D1 Hobart is D3. The difference in competition level is palagic in scale. D1 to NFL is less of a jump than D3 to D1.

Imagine it like this, because this is how it is. The very best athlete in a senior class of 300 or so, will end up in a D1 program of some sort. The “good” athletes in that class (maybe a dozen or so) will end up D2, and D3 is very similar in competition level to most High Schools of 1000 students or more.

• jahndoh says:

None of this is to say that I don’t wish him well, or that I predict he won’t play well. I just think if he does, it’ll be as incredible and unlikely as it clearly was to him and all his crew when he was drafted in the 2nd second round. You can go there if you want (making him out to be a 1st round talent so that you could justify him over Phillips, but their reaction to him being drafted told the true story.

I think you’re overselling Marpet to justify your arguments. Maybe we all just have to wait and see. Getting pissed now seems useless. But that’s just me.

Jahn

See above. My 2 choices were Jake Fisher, who can play T or G, which I value very much because of Albert’s questionable health, and Ali Marpet, who I think talent wise is very similar to Joel Bitonio. Marpet DOMINATED his competition is Div III, didn’t allow a sack all season long. Then he played right up there with the best college players at the Senior Bowl, and proved he’s not only up to the task, but better than some of the other touted prospects.

• jahndoh says:

Fisher obviously didn’t project well to guard. You have one guy that you think you know better than our entire scouting crew would have been a better pick than Phillips, and you’re trying to say a D3 school and Nevada play similar competition level. I’m all done with this. I get nothing out of it.

64. naplesfan2010 says:

God DANG would it not be cool if we sneak-signed La’el.
    At the first sure sign he is in the clear, Tannenbaum will get the speed dial call and boom we got dibs.

Naples

I agree with that, but did we NOT just sign Suh? Defense was addressed. Everybody loves our young talent on the D-line (A. Johnson, T. Fede, AJ Francis). Now all of a sudden we love the guys that let us down last year on the O-line? That’s what I mean. What changed?

• jahndoh says:

We lost BOTH our starting DTs this offseason.

OK, but we but signed Suh, who besides having a pack of unicorns and rainbows that travel with him, and the magical powers to make everyone else on the tam better, he easily replaces and upgrades Odrick to the Nth degree.. It wasn’t BOTH of our starting DT’s, Mitchell was a starter.

• jahndoh says:

Top two snap counts from last year were Starks and Odrick. Mitchell is an expensive veteran. We have Phillips for 4 years on the cheap. it’s not rocket science.

66. new age says:

Mike E,

Naples has the argument I’m going for. Bitinio played 3 years for a team that gets really good recruits. Nevada gets NFL talent and has had some really good teams. Hobart…just isn’t the same at any point in the conversation. I think Marpet has the skills to succeed and has a solid chance to be a good player. He still needs to learn a lot just like Turner did. Is sitting on the bench or getting destroyed by the Bills and Jets DLs really helping us this year? Because Marpet starting on our OL would be that scenario IMO.

Also, our OL was much, much, much better than our DL by the end of the season. I think fixing that DL is more important than getting a future starting OG in the second.

Jahn

Think of it this way, and I’m not wrong about this either.

Phillips was supposed to be a 1st RD talent, but his questionable desire and attitude slid him to the middle of the 2nd RD, and possibly further if we didn’t stop the slide, but Marpet, a very althletic OL from a Div III was drafted just a few spots away from where Phillips was drafted, most because he comes from a small school. Who’s stock is better?

Mike E

I said this earlier

3 days ago we had rankings from beat writers and pundits

Now we know where NFL GM’s, Scouts, owners had the prospects ranked!

You know I wanted OL before the draft!

I’m just not as down on the OL we had from last year is all

69. naplesfan2010 says:

I think the FO was thinking about losing several games when we could not stop the run late.
    Plus late in the season we got worse and worse against the run. Plus we lost two starters on the DL in Starks and Odrick. Plus our new DL coach loves Phillips and vice versa which means chemistry is there which should mean Jordan the kid begins to grow up to begin to get to work like a man.
    Especially with Suh as a role model at the same position.

Marino Malt
    Wake-Up Sack IPA
    Suh-tastic Stout
    Fields Imperial Inside five Porter
    ——–
    2 cents turned into eight cents Jahn.

• jahndoh says:

Was thinking more about a rookie, but you guys decide. To the extent possible I’ll let you guys name it too, but the ABC has the final say on beer names, so no promises.

Name should be yours in any event. But if it is a rook…..has to be Parker. Parker’s Best #14 Value Hefeweizen might work, especially since I love that beer.

Jahn

That’s fine, we don’t need to drag on with this argument. We’ll see how Dallas Thomas (The NEXT DT) and Billy Turner fare this season, and bet your ass I’ll be watching to see how Ali Marpet and Jake Fisher do as well.

LOL @ Wyo

Jahn

Phillips slow and lazy summer ale? 😉

74. new age says:

The bottom line is that Phillips fits a need and use Marpet does not. No one on our team can do the things Phillips will have the chance to do. That is why our DL coaches were so excited. A determined Phillips could mimic what Shelton does a round later. Marpet…he’s a project OG with a great skill set. He still has to learn more than the average draftee. He has to transition from playing really average players to the very best week after week. Not just for a few practices in one week but every week. It will be a massive challenge. He has the skill to get it done. I don’t think we would have played him this year though. That is a waste of a second IMO.

• new age says:

With that said, I really like Marpet and he was one of my favorite guys for the 3rd round. I would have liked to see him come here but losing him doesn’t make getting a first round talent in the 2nd a bad idea suddenly. Lots of lost talent every year.

Jahn

So Benton is the GM now? Also LMAO

76. naplesfan2010 says:

speaking of pundits and beat writers missing on some things, I thought Mitch Morse was a top guard and at least one team agreed with me as he was picked @ 49 although rated at 119.

OK, I’m getting bored. Speak to you all later!

You don’t need to be an expert to see that our O-line sucked when Albert got hurt. Not in the least. Our defense faded, and we addressed it big time by signing Suh. We did nothing to improve our O-line. Thems the facts Jack!

• jahndoh says:

No wonder you’re pissed. I didn’t realize they failed to involve Turner or Thomas in the offseason program or rehab Albert.

Our OL got better last year in year 1 under Benton in spite of huge injury issues. We had our top 3 OL either out of position or injured for the entire season, and it still got better. Those 3 will be healthy and back to their regular positions this season by all accounts. Those are facts. “We did nothing to improve our O-line.” is an anti-fact, no matter what you declare it.

MikeE
    For what it’s worth, I don’t particularly like the Douglas pick. I didn’t see anything that stood out in his film. He doesn’t play through the whistle(hate that). He looks lost in space a lot. He has terrible knee bend and tilt. He looks like he plays soft and tends to stop driving his feet after contact. His strength seems pretty poor, and even though he has the feet to get to the second level he misses his assignments frequently when he gets there. I just don’t see how he stands out over some other guys who were available. He looks like he’s gonna need a lot of refinement and coaching.
    ***
    There weren’t a lot of stand out guards in this draft, but I thought there were a bunch who looked better than Douglas.

If we don’t get better in some areas like the OL this regime hasn’t done their job. We’ll see how it plays out on the field. Everything else is speculation including be positive or negative about guys who haven’t played yet, or much or at the same position they’ll play this year. Because frankly we don’t know and just throwing around other prospects’ names doesn’t mean they would have been the answer either.

80. naplesfan2010 says:

Phillips is definitely not slow or lazy. He could be called out of shape yes, and since Oklahoma had no one else, he had to play on almost every down and was said to have run out of gas. His biggest criticism is that he quit on plays when his initial bullrush was stonewalled, but if you watch some of those plays, he is trying to do that “new” thing of getting his hands up in the passing lane, which for a nearly 6’6 guy is actually not a bad idea. I think we can coach him up better when and how to do that and then you have a 6’6 guy with long arms right in the middle of where the QB is trying to see his targets.

81. jahndoh says:

I’m gonna get out of here before I say what I really think too much more. Folks can work themselves into a lather or argue for the sake of argument…without me.

Thanks Randy – Appreciate anyone with a little objectivity on the subject

Phillips slow and lazy summer ale? 😉
    Can I have that with a shot of Frozen Lynch

Fisher is a prospect who needs to add strength at the next level yet he would have been the solution right away at a position he never played at guard?

• new age says:

That’s my primary problem with Marpet. Neither of those guys would be ready for our division and I don’t think Douglas will be either. But at least he’s a fourth that needs time instead of a second that needs time.

Jahn,
    This from a guy who kept telling me Thomas should be a right tackle. I’ll stick with my own analysis but thanks for the input.

Jahn

I can read fine as well, and maybe if you read a little more, you’ll see that Douglas likely isn’t the answer. And to answer the off season program nonsense, how many off season programs does Dallas Thomas need before he’s ready? Are Anthony Johnson and AJ Francis not taking part of offseason programs as well, which would make the Phillips’ pick totally unnecessary by your logic

Guys – The slow and lazy was a joke. You guys kill me!

new age, that’s what I think our staff saw, not a lot of guys at guard were no brainers so why use a 2nd round pick on them when you can get similar in the 4th.

• new age says:

Either way, they would be sitting and learning in this division. Phillips will actually get playing time this year in the rotation. It’s just a matter of getting more use out of your second this year. Both Phillips and Marpet have good ceilings but I’d rather fix the DL this year and not the OL next year(possibly).

More that just because we picked a guy, it doesn’t mean he’s a good player. Nothing I’ve read makes me think that Douglas is ready to compete for a starting job this year, or possibly ever.

Spencer Paysinger ‏@SpittyP · 14m14 minutes ago
    Helping pack 1million meals towards the fight to end hunger in the U.S. The energy of the volunteers… https://instagram.com/p/2OuxAbADfJ/

Nice to see the guys helping out!

And just because our staff sees something one way doesn’t mean other teams did, so saying that doesn’t mean much. Maybe every other team saw Douglas as a 5th round value for all we know…and we never will. Teams make mistakes all the time….both ways.
    ***
    I wasn’t trying to be a dick…just giving my opinion….just like everyone else. For what it’s worth, nobody knows how he’ll develop…including our coaches.

Mike E
    You know I’m just being an ASS!

You do seem to zero in on a target every draft though?
    It might be described as a pattern? 😉

Jahn

BTW – Just to get facts straight, Benton wasn’t here when Dallas Thomas was drafted. He had no input on that one.

94. naplesfan2010 says:

Jamil Douglas
    CBS says “Looks the part with broad shoulders, trim middle and good balance. Quick off the snap. Plays with good leverage in pass protection to absorb bull rush, good flexibility and core strength. Slides well laterally and looks to help teammates when not covered up. Flashes a nasty streak, taking defenders to the ground.

Good mover to and through the second level. Can hit the moving target and readjust beyond the point of attack. Above-average agility.

A natural athlete with good feet he fits best inside.”

95. new age says:

Mike E,
    I can agree with that. We definitely aren’t sure of that. I liked Phillips better than Marpet because of the ability to use him this year though. I also am holding out hope for more options for OG.

the bottom line for me is that we have a bunch of young guards who MIGHT develop into solid players. I’m not saying Douglas can’t become a good player. I’m just giving my opinion on what I saw from his play so far. I’m not suggesting he can’t or won’t get better….just like I think Turner and Thomas can both get better. I really don’t see how that’s supposed to be negative.

Screw mayweather/pacquiao. I’ll take Randy/Jahn any day, and its cheaper. 🙂

• new age says:

Damn straight! They also don’t pussy foot around looking to wait out the round. They go for jugulars and spleens from the start! Mike Tyson, you ain’t got nothin.

Yeah — Mayweather is a winning boxer, but he ain’t a fighter. Two different things.

98. naplesfan2010 says:

Stanger this is a football board?
    I thought this was Pessimists Anonymous.
    Sorry.

Wyo

No worries. I have no problem with anyone on this board. We all have our opinions, and that’s what makes this place special. It really wouldn’t be much fun if everyone was on the exact same page. It would look like this . . .

New Age: The Dolphins are going to the Superbowl this year!

Wyoming: YEAH!

Jahn: YEAH!

Tim: YEAH!

Bat: YEAH!

Mike E. : YEAH!

Randy: YEAH!

Naples: YEAH!

Son: SUH! I mean YEAH!

etc. etc. etc. Who needs that? 🙂

I’ve got to save this Randy quote somewhere!

Jahn,
    You’re the one who always starts with the personal attacks. I simply gave an opinion. You called it “shit”. You didn’t offer a counterpoint or enter into a discussion…just went nasty. I get that you are the type of guy who likes to be positive and not rip the team…and that’s fine. But, I don’t get the negative stuff when someone else offers a different opinion.
    ***

Randy — great group of people here. Still waiting for you to get your butt down to the Fest. We can both bend elbows and watch the third greatest QB in the history of the team in action. 🙂

Why does everyone have to get so bent discussing our prospects or who we didn’t draft? It’s a lot easier to discuss who we acquired then to say what if because the guys we picked are actually on our team. Let’s hope for the best. I think Douglas will compete at LG this year. The guy has good size 6-4 304, strength, athleticism, good size arms over 33″ and huge hands at 10 3/4. He’s a solid prospect. We all know he’s a 4th rd guy for a reason but we’ve seen later picks than that develop.

Anyone remember all the top OL who have been picked the last few years who were LT prospects who didn’t play LT right away but were moved to RT, or guard, or struggled or got hurt? There is no perfect answer just because of their high projection. They’re still prospects who need to get better too.

103. naplesfan2010 says:

Douglas did 28 reps on the bench.

Wyo

I just say what I feel when I believe we don’t adequately address a particular position. That’s what sports blogging is all about! This year it’s O-line, last year it’s TE, but ya gotta admit, we did go out and sign Jordan Cameron, so I couldn’t have been THAT wrong last year.

Didn’t we loose one in FA?
      that we had during last years draft?

Yes, but also realize that we chose Jordan Cameron over Clay. The money really wasn’t that different

But who was available last year like Cameron and we signed him this year when we knew we were losing Clay?

I also expect bigger things from Sims this year and for Lynch to add some traditional TE depth.

Randy

Please don’t leave. I’ve always valued your opinions, even when we didn’t agree on something. I enjoy when you’re here, for whatever that’s worth.

• new age says:

Randy,

You are valued like everyone else. Don’t let heated opinions deter you. It’s just like talking to a woman but without the threat of physical harm and just a bit less crazy. Sorry, Herd. My wife puts up with me somehow.

Its true what they say. Some people are only happy when they aren’t. Take some time to enjoy whatever part of the draft and free agency you can find happiness in and leave the rest to disappoint you later if at all.

107. naplesfan2010 says:

Phillips: CBS says
    “Naturally large man with good overall weight distribution. Tall, broad shouldered, long-limbed player with a thick lower half. Surprisingly athletic for a player of his size, exhibiting good initial quickness, lateral agility and impressive straight-line speed. Occasionally explodes off the ball and can ruin plays before they have a chance to work.

Possesses quick hands to slap away the attempts at opponents to latch on and control him and uses an effective swim move to slip free. Alert to the quarterback and shows good effort to gets his hands into passing lanes. Powerful. Can knock centers back onto their heels with his initial surge and shows good upper-body strength to lock out and shed. Anchors effectively due to his size and strength and shows good effort in pursuit in the tackle box.

Appears to be just scratching the surface of his potential. “

Naples

Weaknesses: Finesse, left guard-only prospect. Waits on action to come to him. Isn’t a consistent enough block finisher. Must convert weight-room strength to play strength. Gives ground against bull-rushers. Struggles to consistently redirect when defender gets to his edge. Will get cross-faced. Shows very little fire in his play and looks like he’s going through the motions. Gets caught catching rather than punching. Fails to generate push at the point of attack. Feet will stall and he doesn’t sustain blocks for very long.

Bottom Line: Douglas gets by with adequate length and plus athleticism, but his play demeanor will have to ramp up in order to make it as an NFL guard. Douglas flashes enough potential to excite teams looking for athletic traits, but his lack of functional power will be hard to overlook for others. Douglas could benefit from a glass-chewing mentor in the NFL.

Hello Mr. Suh!

I read that too and it’s one person’s opinion. His tape challenges a lot of that when he finishes opponents to the ground.

• naplesfan2010 says:

Enter Benton — a well documented glass chewing mentor.

LOL Mike you caught me cherry picking my quotes again. shucks I am such an eternal optimist who always looks on the bright side of people and situations. That’s just me.

Some 4th round guys have blessings from birth but lack technique or work ethic and you hope they can be coached up. Some guys in the 4th round are high-motor over achievers with less athletic ability that you hope can compensate by being gym rats.
      Douglas’s weaknesses would be worse if he were in a power rush team. His strengths are better for a zone blocking scheme.
      I hope for our sake he grows up in attitude so he can max his skills.

109. naplesfan2010 says:

I totally do not understand the La’el thing, but here is a new article to try to explain why he is going to be an all pro for the Dolphins.

I’m still trying to get how the dislike of the Phillips pick spilled all over Douglas?

Randy tbh I’m usually one of the more positive folks and only issue I take is when one pick or one loss can turn a person completely agaidt our team its old. I agree our past doesn’t give a lot of options for hope but past is past, they have made some major changes that should at least warrant a thought or two things might be different. Phillips pick isn’t cause to fall right back into the “oh here we GI again” mentality. It just isn’t.

D

I’m NOT one of those people. Shit man, I’ve complained about our coach because we died at the end of the season 2 years ago, and guess what, we did the same thing the next season too. I don’t just complain to be miserable, I’d much rather be happy, but I try to stay realistic, and stay true what I said before the draft. I’m not just gonna flip a switch because some else thinks I should. F that bro.

Mike I can’t tell you to be happy anymore than you can tell me to be sad. I don’t flip switches I’m always the same realistically optimustic. I am not saying we got an A+ for our draft but I’m not going to flunk it over one flipping pick

I’m not flunking it because we took Phillips, I’m just saying we didn’t address the O-line, because we didn’t. You know damned well that Douglas won’t start this year, and if he does, then Thomas is worse than I thought. I’d be willing to wager big bucks that Douglas doesn’t start this season unless there is an injury, and Ali Marpet does start. Fisher was drafted to replace A. Smith but Smith will most likely start this season, but may eventually get replaced by Fisher.

I’m leaving it to you guys to come around. I got nothing else to say nor any more energy to turn your opinions. I too think I need a break from this tired ass pessimism.

D — today I’ve gotten mostly “great draft.” But for sure folks get on points. But that is what the place is about.

Ultimate DeVante Parker Highlights | HD

Watch this twice and call me in the morning! 😉

My eyes were welling…..till I reminded myself it is a puff piece.

But even that crossing some stuff off my list.

YAC guy — check.
      Redzone threat — check.

It’s way more than just one persons opinion. Find me one publication that has Douglas even in the top 10. Good luck!

Mike E, a 2 year investment in Cameron vs. a 5 year investment in Clay at $7+M per but also $20M guaranteed for Clay is a huge difference. That’s why we lost Clay. We offered him $11M less overall.

Wyo

Watch this twice and call La’el Collins in the morning and offer him a big fat contract! lol

Jay Ajayi 2014-15 Season Highlights

• naplesfan2010 says:

I hate the sound track and I hate the editing which looks like it was done by a 4thgrader with ADHD, but I LOVE THIS PICK.
      I LOVE THIS RB. Just look at those feet. Tha’ b’ Ehss SIIITeM’N’ nigga.

Now Mike E
    You know I’ve wanted Lael all offseason
    Don’t tease me with what will not happen!

DeVante reminds me of a young Michael Irvin in both appearance and game.

Like I was saying yesterday he is a cross of boldin and green, which is kinda what Irvin and probably more current version of that, dez Bryant. He’s a little faster than both those though

BTW there are limits on what can be offered to la’el and if he is ehonerated pretty much every team will be making him the same contract. It will be his decision where to play

True. It also depends on what teams have, and how likely he has a chance to start right away. Here, that won’t be a problem. 😀

Unless something definitive has come out……..there are lots of different stories about what can and can’t be done about him. Only sure things seem to be he was not drafted and was refused eligibility for the supplemental.

Hey guys…I just went and watched Douglas again, and I see the same things. I hadn’t even read an evaluation of him until some posted them here, so I had no idea what the “experts” thought. I wasn’t trying to say he was s terrible pick…just giving my thoughts on his skill and how it compared to some others I looked at.
    ***
    As to leaving…I just don’t get into the nasty arguing anymore…and people getting all butthurt when someone offers an opinion that isn’t rosy and positive. I don’t mind good natured ball busting, but I can find better things to do than get into pissing matches online. It really just isn’t worth my time. But, that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the opinions and give and take offered here…or most of it.
    ***
    And now I’m gonna take my daughter golfing. Well, I’ll pretend to golf, and she’ll work on her suntan. Enjoy your Sunday, fellas.

Later Randy. I noticed you weren’t even ranked on the golf publication I just read, which means you’re really just not that good. 😉 Have fun bud!

We’re capstrung now and next season. After that, I don’t think it’s as bad. The rest of the money for Clay down the line wasn’t the deal breaker, or at least I don’t believe it was.

Jordan jus cleared enough for a max UDFA signing

Ryan McCrystal ‏@Ryan_McCrystal · 6h6 hours ago
      La’el Collins can earn a maximum $521,957 this year… UDFA max signing bonus is $86,957 + rookie base salary of $435K

We didn’t want to give Clay $38M over 5 years and $20M guaranteed is the bottom line and that’s why he’s not here.

I’m out too for real now. You can get back to “When Unicorns Roamed the Earth” again. Enjoy the pink confetti covered popcorn!

Mike E, well a 4th rd pick is rarely a top 10 player at his position. But go back and look at those O-lines Denver had back when TD was balling and they won championships. Those O-lines were made up of mid, late and UDFAs. They were undersized but athletic. It’s a very unique scheme this ZBS.

126. naplesfan2010 says:

How does our cap right now affect our ability to sign La’el if indeed he becomes available?

Shouldn’t at all, unless he somehow becomes a full-blow FA. But can’t see that happening. He’s stuck with either signing as a regular UDFA or (maybe) waiting till next year far as I can figure.

Ryan McCrystal ‏@Ryan_McCrystal · 6h6 hours ago

Mike I don’t feel Marpet is going to turn the NFL on its ear. I like the kid, really liked seeing him get his chance to live his dream but I don’t think I could have penciled him in at OG anymore than I could Douglas turner or Thomas.

Collins would have been a guy I had more feel could have done that and maybe if he is completely cleared we can hope to get him. In not holding my breath though because way things look right now and the lack of push back from his lawyers it seems more to me being cleared isn’t in his future. If they were just questioning him wouldn’t you expect that would be done now and fully cleared would have been reported? Longer it goes worse its looking.

129. naplesfan2010 says:

Pete Prisco
    Senior NFL Columnist
    2015 NFL Draft Grades: Jags, Dolphins, Ravens, Cardinals score highest

From the US Magazine side of things…….part of a Lindsey Vonn tweet.

“After nearly three years together, Tiger and I have mutually decided to end our relationship.”

I guess my post a few days ago about enjoying the draft and don’t let it piss you off didn’t work. LOL

Let the competition begin. Go Phins!!!!

Wyoming, That signing bonus would be the amount we can give IN TOTAL to all UDFA’s so would be sacrificing the bonus for all the others which pretty much means lose all of them

Give him the Max money and buy him a 10 million $ house!

Is Collins worth a $522,000 gamble?

The bottom line is this team has to make the playoffs this year. They have to reach a new pinnacle. Even if they lose the game but at least play well, they have to reach a new milestone or I think Ross will say: “WTF!!!?, what do we have to do here to become a playoff team? We have the young ascending QB and we just added Suh to a team with some other good players. Other teams make the playoffs from time to time, what does it take?”

NO PLAYOFF wins since 2000 – – the LONGEST SUCH DROUGHT in DOLPHINS’ HISTORY!!—Thanks for nuthin’, Mr. Ross!

How many playoffs were we in from 02 thru 07 before Ross became a 50% owner in 08?

Mike E; WATCHED your post depicting Tanny getting KILLED by the Browns’ pass rush.–Frankly, I’m fearing a repeat of Tanny getting crushed time and again THIS SEASON, especially if Albert has become less of a player due to his injury and surgery. Hopefully Ajayi’s blocking ability will make up for some of the O-Line’s shortcomings.

Whoever said Phillips is a first round talent I ask to produce 1 mock draft from a reputable source because I haven’t seen 1 ever

The book on Phillips is that he was an underachiever who the scouts think projects better in the pros than he played in college

That’s a good thing right, being our Dolphins don’t play in the college league? LOL

Ken, you know the draft is about projection and maturity. We’re talking about young people growing here. Not 29 year old guys who have hit their ceiling already.

I don’t like guys who were underachievers. I know the draft is about projection but I also like production and Phillips production at college was mediocre. He should have played better given his physical tools.

Ken, I don’t follow mockster mock drafts. It’s about grades. That said yes I did see Phiilips as a 1st rd pick in mocks when I scoured thru some of them. But who cares, it’s a dozen guy’s opinions. Look at how this draft went down, I heard names I never saw on the 17,687 mocks posted here. In fact many of them went undrafted. LOL

But the bottom line is we didn’t draft Phillips in the 1st but the 2nd where everyone had him going at the latest. Phiilips was easily a 2nd rd pick.

But I think its a crock when we people are saying he was a first round talent. He’s not. He hasn’t been mocked in the first. I will admit that most scouting reports I have read have him as a round 2-3 talent but he is not a first round talent. I question if he is a second round talent. I also thought there was talent that was equal or higher rated that would have fit our needs better. Obviously that’s my opinion because I don’t know what our draft board says.

Bottom line I am not a fan of the Phillips pick. I like every other pick we made, perhaps I would have selected another OL if I were GM but in general I like our draft just not the Phillips pick.

It’s not my ass on the line, it’s Hickey and Philbin’s, I get to ride along and wave the flag.

I wave it for you too Phillips and honest to God I’m wearing an Oklahoma Sooners T-shirt right now as I post. Let your tongue hang low big man!

Silly is thinking incessant griping is going to change anything.

But the griping makes me feel better.

I thought Oklahoma was your adopted school, give a Sooner some love. He gets to play with Suh this could be amazing.

Son, if Phillips could play up to his potential and not get injured he could be an excellent pick but it’s a couple of big ifs and again I am concerned about the match ups in our division given the interior of our OL. And yes I do like Oklahoma and that is at least 3 Sooners we have on the roster now.

My biggest concern is that our divisional rivals are strong (interior DL) where we are weakest (interior OL). That’s my biggest gripe/concern.

Dinner is just about ready. I am out. Peace to you all.

Ken

Phillips was ranked a top 50 prospect by most websites
    Cbs had him at 47

It’s not unusual for a guy like that to go in the back if the first round
    And I’m sure I’ve seen him mocked to the charts with the final first

But he way this draft developed teams were taking OL higher than they were ranked and DTs fell

From the get go with Scherf going wash and Williams going to the jets
    The trend if the draft was set

Then you had flowers to the giants
    And Shelton all the way down to the browns

So brown lasted the the cheats
    Had he been claim
    I think the cheats take Phillips to replace Wilfork

The draft that didn’t fall that way

But I guaranty that Phillips was the rates much higher on he majority if teams draft boards than most the OL who were left

Piggy, remember when I said in our mock why is Phillips off the board with the 1st still going? I picked him for some team late, don’t remenber who and don’t care but he was always in that group.

I do to recall all the posts during our draft…lol

But no question Phillips was the next DT off the board after Malcolm Brown and Eddie Goldman

Some people had him above Goldman

He was one of those guys pushing to be in the first bust certainly not certain to be

I don’t think anyone was thinking DT
        Buy it makes sense

I mentioned taking Danny Shelton of he fell to is at 14

Phillips is going to be our Tim Bowens type of run stiffer
        It’s going to be tough for teams to run in us with Phillips and Suh in the middle

Right now we could rotate in 4 good size Guards who all have starting experience and that doesn’t even include Turner. I’m not worried, as long as a young buck or two come through we’re golden.

We’ll see what else happens, but believe one of our starters is Turner.

I do too, but we have Thomas, Walden, Likertinkle and the other new guy who are vets

Pretty clear that Phillips has raw and largely untapped potential. That’s what the kid was drafted for. Question now is how to put him in contact with savvy smarts, guide him with an example of excellence, and let him see how greatness is produced in the NFL.

Seems all we need to do is put him on the punting unit.

The competition at DB should be interesting

Yes, those will be well earned spots. Of course Suh will have final say on who stays.

I would have liked to add a LB

That is my one gripe
    But I like that we shored up a run defense
    Added a special talent in Parker
    Added a reasonably priced OG, instead if selling out for one
    And added a ton of depth to our secondary

Good Ole Bobby McCain can help Landry out in returns

(Piggy plays harmonica in the background)

Here is Jordan Phillips round 1 projection

LT Albert/James/Linkenbach/Baucus
    LG Thomas/Douglas/McClendon/Savage
    C Pouncey/Walton/Brenner (also backup guards)
    RG Turner/Asper/McClendon/Savage
    RT James/Fox/Linkenbach/Baucus

Three our top cap hit players in 2015.

Mike Wallace $6,600,000
    Dannell Ellerbe $6,400,000
    Brian Hartline $4,200,000

And that doesn’t include Jordan’s listed $4,682,276. Still not sure exactly how that one works.

In the 40 some odd mock drafts I did, I hit on exactly two players, and one was undrafted: Parker and Hull.

Maybe we can pick up Cory Lekkerkerker to compete at G. Gotta admit, that’s a great name, and no doubt the most K’s on any jersey anywhere, any sport!

Jordan Phillips was in the 1st RD on a bunch of mocks earlier in the process. As we got closer to the draft, a few CB’s, and few WR’s worked their way into the first taking him out. That’s how I recall this going down.

I agree, but the 2nd was his range. I never saw him in the 3rd. We got him in the 2nd, what’s the problem? I really don’t get it.

To me it shows we’re not sold on our other DTs outside of Suh and Mitchell and we believe more in the guys we have on the OL. We’ll find out.

This draft showed us we wanted more DBs and not LBs.

lol, yep that not addressing a need in the draft has always worked out well for the fins. i mean why do you think they were able to replace marino so quickly.

and just busting balls, i do not even pretend to know any thing about the draft or even close to what the front office knows. that is why i will give anyone who wants to listen my opinion about the 2015 dolphins sometimes in late december and hopefully not sooner.

Instead of whining about a couple of draft picks, why not focus on how we might have gotten better.

Come on give me something. I like Parker giving us that long target and the speed to finish off a 25 YAC play. Along with Cameron, Sims and Jennings (long arms and a savvy vet), our red zone offense projects better this year.

Let’s get into what Jarvis Landry wants to do this year. You know he wants to be better. This guy is O.J. McDuffie/Hines Ward. He wants to be great. If that’s 100 and he only gets to 90 he gave it everything he had. I project him at 100+ catches for over 1,000 yards and 7-8 TD. I just hope his YPCA goes up a couple of yards but I get how we use him – part of the ball control possession game that sets up the run game.

‘no doubt the most K’s on any jersey anywhere, any sport!’

come on mike, the fins lived thru that racism once. i mean what next, you going to say they would look great in their white uni’s with one having a bunch of K’s on it.

May 3, 2015 at 6:54 pm

instead of saying we got better why not focus on the couple of poor picks.

(see it works both ways)

I just checked my phone texts and forgot my brother-in-law who is a huge Giants fan and a knowledgeable one, loved the Phillips pick. Said he’s a fucking fire hydrant. You know why, he also had him as a 2nd rd pick for the Giants. LOL

tim,

regarding the draft i can say i am completely neutral as to if they got better or not. i have said over and over i dont scout the players like others do. so i think i am ok saying i read (contrary to mike e thinking i dont) the comments and i can see both sides. so it really isnt fair for one side to tell the other to not think like they do.

We’ve focused on how we got better. We got a great WR in the draft, a great RB in the 5th RD, a nice CB prospect in the 5th, and a couple of other interesting DB prospects. I’m very happy about that, I am. I just wanted them to earnestly address the O-line, and it didn’t happen. That doesn’t mean we have to only talk about the positives, the whole picture is relevant, and no reason to blindly assume all is well.

Oh, and we got a nice DT in the 2nd, as long as he stays in shape, and someone (Mystical Magical Suh) gets on his ass and make sure he doesn’t get too fat and stays focused.

LOL, I still have questions too, but the draft didn’t sway me one way or the other to the extreme. I think we improved a lot athletically overall but we still need to see skill defined by big plays and W’s!

I agree the I would’ve liked to have seen more Oline drafted, but what do I know about the guys brought in through FA, and we still have to stop the cheats quick passing game. I don’t think it was a coincidence that the first CB we drafted is a ballhawk and specializes in covering the quick little passes the cheats throw.

It’s really hard to argue with any pick made even Phillips, sure at the time, but not now. Phillips played too many downs in college, he won’t come close to that in Miami.

LOL @ Rob

A few teams that were expected to go DT didn’t take them, so it pushed Phillips back a little. People forget the primary job of a DT is to stop the run, he does that very good, and takes up space. The tape doesn’t always transfer to the NFL, he also played in a 3-4.

I just recall a lot of you guys saying when we got Suh that with Suh, Mitchell, and the young talent we have on the DL, like Anthony Johnson, AJ Francis and Terence Fede, that we were much better defensively. I really don’t remember ANY of you guys clamoring for a DT after we signed Suh.

Now all of a sudden it’s the run defense was terrible last year, but the guys who played the most on that DL are GONERS (Odrick and Starks). Now all of a sudden, the young talent we had on the DL was inadequate, i order to accommodate the logic of drafting Jordan Phillips. On the flip side of this, the young guys that many of us were unsure about on the offensive line, like Thomas and Turner are all of a sudden ready to roll because there’s no way in hell we wouldn’t have drafted someone if we needed to, right?

That’s what I fundamentally have a problem with. All of a sudden, all is well, despite the fact that we ignored a major perceived flaw, the O-line. If it really bothers you all that much when I discuss this, I’ll stick my head in the sand like the rest of you if that’s what you prefer. lol

LOL

I remember it being a big issue for us here, since we lost 2 DTs and only brought in Suh, if Suh went down we would’ve been Fd. As for the Oline many of us really like Billy Turner and felt we only needed one Olineman. You can’t draft for need over BPA late in the draft, after about the 4th round, if you start drafting for need those guys will be out of the league before the season starts.

steveccnv says:
    May 3, 2015 at 7:11 pm

that is kind of my point. i mean i can have my opinion but no way in hell do i know more then the front office. besides no matter what one thinks come december if they arent in the playoffs or battling for it then we all have our answer.

I forgot about one Very well known fact of the draft!

I don’t care what anyone says!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OT go before everyone but Rush DE

They went earlier than everyone expected AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike E
    All I can say about Phillips is

He was the ” BPA ”
    NFL.COM had us needing a DT so did several other sites
    and
    I liked him before Suh so I can’t really go to hating him now?

And with that I’m done!

I really don’t mean to antagonize you, I hope that I’m not. Instead, I’m really just trying to keep it real. Seriously, if it really bothers you, I’ll tone it down.

I don’t mean to antagonize anyone really, I’m just speaking my mind, like i expect everyone here to do.

I get the aggravation!
        Just not the depth I guess
        Everything’s cool Bro!
        The OL came off the board earlier than I expected ( beings my head was in my ass )

LOL

Before FA/Draft say all you want about the players you hope to get, but after the draft what good does it do to harp on what wasn’t done? Speak your mind about what they didn’t do that you wanted them to do, then look forward to the OTAs and training camp, life will be much more fun. 😛

Steve

If Branden Albert is out, I think we’re just as fucked if Suh is out.

Worse now, since we have Phillips, but that’s why the targeted Olineman were duel OT/OG type players. The mistake made last yr was putting Thomas at RT, not sure why they felt he could play tackle, when everyone here said he couldn’t when we drafted him.

If Alberts goes down I think Turner plays RT, so we’ll already be better than with Thomas at RT.

Wyo

I get ya man. People laughed when I said Cam Erving for our pick at one point, I think Piggy said something like (Just stop! 😦 ), but it’s true, O-line definitely is a priority with many teams.

May 3, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Steve

If Branden Albert is out, I think we’re just as fucked if Suh is out.

with albert in the line is not all that great.

Washington started the OL selections at 5, which wasn’t 100% expected. That got the ball rolling a little earlier than expected. It’s always a domino effect from there.

Steve

I’m not talking about a player, I’m talking about ignoring a position of need. There wasn’t one specific player I’m talking about.

Be back soon – Going to chow down on dinner!

Can we stop predicting injuries? It’s the beginning of May!

I’m not thrilled that we didn’t address the OL until th 4th either, but that’s how it played out. The clearly didn’t this Fisher was the guy, so the went with BPA.

Mike E, I was not on board with DT either going by paper. The Phillips pick told me our staff was not happy with what we had at DT. We released Starks and let Odrick walk into FA where he got a big deal from JAC.

Suh, Mitchell and 5 UDFAs wasn’t enough. The draft sometimes speaks to you and tells you what your team is thinking.

Bottom of the 12th in LA (Dodgers vs Az) 0-0 😛

Hardest parking spot to find in the US was in Vegas yesterday.

It was the easiest, all you had to do was take any road or I15 near the strip, there were plenty of spots 😉

What up guys? I loved the draft. Thought we filled some needs, added much needed depth at some spots and have a pick or two that could end up being steals.

We’ve still got some question marks at LB, TE depth and especially oline but overall we got better as a team.

It’s possible we have the answer at oline on the team if Albert comes back healthy, in shape and on time and if we get starter material out of Turner, Thomas or the new rookie. We also still have training camp cuts to sift through once the paring down starts, maybe a decent guard gets picked up there if things aren’t looking good at that point. That’s a lot of ifs but certainly possible. I thought our oline looked pretty decent last year until Albert went down, in my opinion he’s going to be the real determining factor this year and think it likely if he comes back healthy and on time we’ll be fine at oline. Fingers crossed.

All in all I think it’s been an interesting offseason so far. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Cav — right with you word by word. Yeah this team ain’t perfect yet, but even the greatest draft in NFL history wouldn’t have made it that. BTW Suh and Parker though……my interest level is up. Want to see each of them at work.

I’m really excited about the Parker pick and also very important that we picked up a very savvy veteran in Jennings to teach Parker and Landry the tricks of the trade. 🙂

179. new age says:

Mike ,
    I agree and I was one of them. Two things really changed my mind though. First, Phillips really plugs holes with that size and we really need that. The defensive collapse really bothered me once again last year. Tired of seeing it so I am willing to see how good this kid can get.

Secondly, losing Collins and the high number of elite talent with issues really changed the draft IMO. Not only did top OL talent go early like Wyo said but one elite prospect was gone. I really didn’t think Marpet was higher than a low 3rd which is just about right after Collins plummets. OG goes later than OT and a division 3 guy shouldn’t go that early. When guys like Ray, Gregory, and Collins are dropped off boards, they have to go with other needs or other prospects. We just didn’t have the ammo to do everything we needed to early. That doesn’t mean we reach though.

180. jahndoh says:

“Jahn,
    ***
    And this is why I’ve started staying away. It’s just not worth it. Please accept my apology for however it was I offended you, and I’ll take my leave. Good luck with your brewery!”

Randy,
    Saying the analysis was “shit” was not a qualitative judgement on you, it was just a qualitative judgement on the analysis. To say I offered no counterpoint is to say you didn’t read any of my 50 posts today. That tells me you don’t care enough to contemplate my own take, and that’s fine, but don’t spin that into an indictment on me.

It was 3 years ago I said I respected you, and in return you gave me a soliloquy about how you couldn’t respect anyone on an internet blog. Well that’s loud and clear. I believe each of you represents a person, not a random and valueless opinion. Some day if we meet in person I’ll be able to convey that a little better.

• jahndoh says:

Also PS, this place is a fucking lion’s den. If you choose to stay away don’t blame me for it. That’s bullshit and I’ll fucking stand up to that accusation til the end of times. If I wasn’t thick skinned I would’ve turned this place off before it became a place.

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins · 1m1 minute ago
    Evaluating our 2015 draft class.

READ: http://oak.ctx.ly/r/2x7o1

That’s the rah, rah version most of us want to hear. In today’s game of specialists maybe that’s all we need to hear.

Mike, if we can run the ball maybe the Oline won’t look so bad pass blocking. Sure does make a difference when you keep the D guessing. Tannehill needs to do his part to and take what the D gives him and stop holding it so long.

That’s the thing Steve, we were able to run the ball. We just stopped sometimes. Lamar Miller averaged over 5 YPC, how many teams had that? Also, I should qualify that by saying that was with a healthy Brandon Albert. I pray he’s healthy this entire season.

We were able to run the ball when it wasn’t expected of us, but when we had to run the ball on short yardage or to close out a game we weren’t very good. The offense starts and ends with Tannehill, he needs to figure out how to be a winning QB, fuck the stats, probably why he hasn’t been given a contract extension. RT has come a long way from his rookie season, he’s improved leaps and bounds, but mainly statistically.

It’s really not that hard, and I don’t understand why he has such a hard time given his skill set. I’ve said this several times on this board, when you run a quick hitting to intermediate passing game, you have to take what the D gives you, it’s very important to pick up positive yrds on every play. Drop back to pass, run through your progressions quickly, if it isn’t there hit your safety valve, don’t run around trying to get sacked. Miller hasn’t been very good in the passing game which hasn’t helped RT, but that will change this yr with Ajayi, he’s very good catching the ball.

Steve

We did struggle with short yardage plays though, have for a few years. To me, that’s an O-line issue. Ajayi will help, no doubt, but if the defense is penetrating the backfield before the RB has a chance to get going, that’s an O-line fail, and that was the case far too often.

In the ZBS you typically don’t have Olineman that are power blockers, as was the case for us last yr, so to pick up yrds in a short yardage situation you generally need to do something else other than run straight ahead, unless you have a big power back (Tom Rathman). The reason we didn’t pick a guard before the 4th round yesterday was, because ZBS guards generally don’t go that high, they’re not a premium position.

TOTALLY AGREE with Mike E on his “O-Line fail” comments on short yardage situations last year. Just hoping Albert really CAN PLAY at the level he did last year before his injury. THAT, of course, remains to be seen. Right now, we’ve got James, Pouncey and a bunch of question marks at the other 3 O-Line positions. I expect D-Hickey to be making plenty of phone calls to remedy this situation this summer.
    —————
    Speaking of Do-Hickey, I certainly feel better about his first two years as GM than I do about IRELAND’s last two years as GM. But HOW MUCH BETTER remains to be seen.
    ————–
    The Old Dolfan is out for tonight. Peace to all you wonderful fans of the FIN!

• jahndoh says:

I get concerns about Albert’s availability at the beginning of the season (even though at times I think it’s overblown) and I get concerns about his ongoing availability because, lets face it, he has a history of failing to complete seasons, but I will never, ever, get; concerns about his ability to play when he’s on the field. He’s an all-pro kind of player, and I will bet the house that when he’s on the field, he will beat the guy lining up against him.

That’s worth a lot in my book. Because the rest of the concerns could apply to any player in the NFL. You simply can not predict injuries.

185. jahndoh says:

Ok,

I gotta duck out and do a family dinner. The in-laws are arriving. I respect Mike E’s backbone, even when it annoys the shit out of me. 🙂

I get your concerns Mike. I don’t know that this is the time I’m going to share in them, but I get them, and I appreciate and get you. Cheers bud.

Check out this genius quote by the Spurs GM:

“Our whole team and our organization will be completely different at a point in time when we have a different group,” Buford

Buford on whether Duncan, Ginobli, and Coach Pop will be back next yr.

Congrats to Stephen Curry for winning the NBA MVP.

Ken not that I can produce drafts that had him mocked in the first now since the ones leading up to the draft that I saw with him in the first are gone now. If its not good enough my word he was mocked in the first then I’m sorry, I’m a liar and just said that to defend my point. I’ll make sure to question you on you word from here on out since apparently I should be more reasonable and doubt your integrity as well.

steveccnv says:
    May 3, 2015 at 7:41 pm (Edit)

You don’t draft an OG at #14.
    ______________________
    The rules have changed, it’s just taking us fans and all the experts time to adjust. The rule used to be you don’t take RT’s in the 1st RD, that’s changed. The Cowboys took Zack Martin at #16 last year. In ’13, The Cards took Jonathan Cooper at #7. We took Mike Pouncey at #15, and that was also a taboo, never take a Center that early. O-line is important, it’s a higher priority than it used to be.

The draft was setup to take BPA at a position of need, we did that in every round except the 4th, funny how that happened at the position you thought we should’ve taken in the 1st.

Jahn – Thanks bud, appreciate that. I don’t come on here and say my piece to personally attack anyone, I’m just saying what I feel. Cheers man!

Just to add, I think a healthy Albert is our best O-lineman. This was a tough injury, knee reconstruction, and we don’t know how he comes back from this one. That’s my concern. I know he’s he’s a great player, but this is different.

I have no is due with you skepticism Mike I just saw you and several others completely flip you perspective on how well we were improving over one pick. That’s just crazy man. Your opinion is n the team is you own and you have a right to it. But one pick plus or minus isn’t a make or break for us. To be honest its impossible to even think that a second round OG would have been any better or win us more games. I’m not saying the Phillips pick does either but that’s exactly my point, why get bent over something so insignificant when so many more things are happening this off season that suggests the opposite. Its one pick in one draft.

Evaluating the our new talent/starters, between FA, Draft, Trades.
    RB
    Ajayi – they’ll both get about the same number of plays, but I clearly think Jay is going to make a huge difference in our running game, especially when they know we’re going to run. And we may finally have a screen game, he’s pretty good there too.

WR
    Jennings/Stills/Parker – What a concept to actually have WRs that fit the system, can’t wait to see Tannehill get Yac from them. Watching the playoffs last yr it seemed like the team that got more Yac was won.

TE
    Cameron – Philbin loves him some TEs, and now that we actually have one look out in the redzone and short yardage situations. Clay really wasn’t a TE, and seemed to disappear when the opponent tried to take him out of the game.

OL
    Douglas – Between Douglas and Turner I think our line is complete, no Colonblow’s and no Martin’s. Love the tape on Douglas.

DL
    Suh/Phillips – we couldn’t stop the run at the end of the yr, I feel pretty good we’ll be in the top 5 against the run this yr, and may even keep the opposing QBs from stepping up in the pocket.

DB
    Our Lawfirm McCain and McCain – I think both these guys may be on the field when we play the cheats in our dime, otherwise one should be manning the slot while Will Davis is our dime DB.

That’s 7 new players that should be starters, add in Jamar Taylor, Chris McCain or Tripp or one of our FAs at LB, and Billy Turner to give us 10 new starters this yr. How many are upgrades though. WR has to be an upgrade since we now have redzone threats and players that fit the system. RB we now have a powerback that’s just as good running as receiving. TE has to be an upgrade since our TE last yr was an H-back that really only worked the outside and short not over the middle where easy yards are to be had. OG Turner/Douglas have to be better than what we had last yr, having a running game should make them better by itself. QB RT having more experience and WRs that fit the system as well as an RB that can catch and has power.

DL Suh playing with anyone makes them better, and the unit better. LB addition by subtraction of Wheeler. DBs might be about the same, except a healthy Taylor should be better than Finnegan, and nickel may be even too, but we have more depth and a little ball hawker.

On paper I don’t see how we aren’t a better team, let’s hope the coaches get these guys motivated to play.

Mike, if you aren’t excited about this season more than any other in a long time I can’t help you. Your quest for the perfect team will never happen, and it never has for any team. I had a friend in LA that would only dance with the hottest chick, it turns out he was gay, some how I’m relating your quest for the perfect offseason…

Has anyone been on another AFC East Team’s board to see what they think of our offseason moves?

I’ll tell ya I’d bet they would say at the very least its going to be a tough matchup. All AFC east teams got better, going to be a real brutal season but should be fun to watch.

Anyone be see we brought in the 6’9 guy from the U,? Former bball player who wants to become a TE