Our Pal Naple’s Dolphin’s Defense Depth Chart

LB                 9                   11

S                   5                   7

CB                6                   9

28                 42

So, is he right

Where is he wrong?

Does he have the D-Line aligned properly?

Didn’t he really go out on a limb with the locks, lol?

This entry was posted in Misc. Bookmark the permalink.

290 Responses to Our Pal Naple’s Dolphin’s Defense Depth Chart

1. naplesfan2010 says:

Thank you very much Admin for posting this for me. I already have a couple of adjustments.
    Will Davis is hurt again (STILL??) so I am dropping him to third string and elevating Lippett to 2nd String, and let’s put a star by that guy as a lock to make the roster after a 3-pick day.

2. naplesfan2010 says:

I also see that I mistyped the # of LB to keep which I meant to be 7 in order to get to 53. This will get us to 26 on D to go with my 24 on Offense plus the P, K, and LS.

3. naplesfan2010 says:

So the big allocation question is probably in the secondary, especially since we are all hyper about the injuries last year that caused us to use so many street free agents down the stretch.
    You notice the FO is also hyper about that as they drafted or signed a ridiculous 16 DBs.

4. naplesfan2010 says:

Can we risk having only 4 DEs and 4 DTs to make room to keep 11 DBs? I think we will, but it will mean the back-ups (at least) must excel on STs. Rizzi says his analysis was that our coverage STs were our weakest squad last year. That again is probably because we kept losing all our gunners to injuries, and our ST aces at LB had to play defense due to injuries to the starters.

NICE WORK, NAPLES.
    ————————————
    TOMORROW, this site will feature the story of THE MOST IMPORTANT FOOTBALL GAME IN THE HISTORY OF THE DOLPHINS’ FRANCHISE – – -SUPER BOWL VII. – -So much was on the line at this game!
    1) The completion of the NFL’s one and only PERFECT SEASON!!
    2) Miami could finally get over the embarrassment of losing 24-3 in the previous Super Bowl to Dallas.
    3) Don Shula could finaly slay the ghosts of his losses in Super Bowl III and Super Bowl VI.
    ———————————–
    Carroll Rosenbloom’s prediction?? The ex-owner of the Colts said “Shula always freezes up in the big games. Washington will win easily!” Even President Richard Nixon jumped on the Redskins’ bandwagon, picking them to win the Super Bowl over Miami.!! Thus, the ‘Skins were 3-point favorites in Las Vegas to end the Dolphins’ dreams of ABSOLUTE PERFECTION! Jimmy “The Greek” Snyder said “The old NFL teams are simply BETTER than the AFL teams. WASHINGTON WILL WIN THIS GAME!”
    ———————————-
    Could our favorite team prove the skeptics wrong? Could Don Shula, at last, earn the respect of all his doubters and critics? Could the Dolphins do what many said WOULD NEVER BE DONE BY COMPLETING THE PERFECT SEASON (AS AN UNDERDOG)?? – – The Old Dolfan will take you to the Los Angeles Coliseum to witness HISTORY, tomorrow on your favorite web site –. DON’T MISS THE CONCLUSION OF “ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!!”

Nice job Naples/Son.

I think you need to flip Jenkins and McCain. Jenkins will be WLB and McCain will be SLB

Great job Naples
    And Thanks for your contributions
    we could use the help

Suh and Mitchell need to flip. Suh plays LDT next to Wake, switching them would make Phillips right as he will play next to Suh.

Son

Ourlads is almost like the official depth chart for the NFL now.

Son

Suh played RDT and RDE for Detroit the last couple of years.

11. jetsssuck says:

I see philips playing LDT and RD this seasonnext to Suh and next season settling into starting role. We have to make some cap space available and philips along with other young DL are on cheap rookie contracts. Wake may be traded or cut depending on what he thinks is a fair contract.

I don’t know what to tell ya Mike, here’s the 2014 highlights and he’s all left side of the D like he was when we played them:

I’m showing you video not lists

Good stuff, Naples. I love roster discussions.

Suh normally plays LDT but I’m sure he lines up at RDT at times.

You have WOLB and SOLB on the wrong sides typically, though not always.

I’m not exactly sure where some of these LBs will play.

I’ve never seen Suh on the right side, maybe he has but any youtube video of him is with him on the left side of the D as it was at Nebraska.

Agreed, he plays LDT most of the time just like Wake plays LDE pretty much exclusively.

• jetsssuck says:

I believed he kicked extra point one time also. vince wilfork played different positions to keep him excited and not bored about the game. I can see Suh playing positions to keep him interested and to create mismatches. The NT is a position that is injury prone considering both guards can cross up a NT. I’m sure the coaches will look out for Suh when they play chop blocking teams.

Maybe ourlads thinks if you line up over the Right Guard that that’s the right

I see a lot of depth chart mistakes all over the net. They have SOLB and WOLB opposite much of the time and I’m not sure when that changed from back in the day. Derrick Brooks who is considered arguably the best 4-3 WOLB ever, played on the right side, which would be Vernon’s side.

15. jetsssuck says:

Going for back to back tonight. Guess what the Gators softball team has 10 starters from this year squad returning next year. Can u say triple crown as Joe Robbie wished for after back to back SB victories.

Mike can’t watch videos now but I guarantee he’s saying, F-son I have depth charts saying where he plays son don’t know shit.
    And that’s fine maybe I don’t but I do know Suh 99.99999% of the time plays over the right guard so our nads can call it what they want.

I have depth charts saying where he plays. Fuck you Son! lol

Here’s Suh against us last year.

Son

Please do, but he has to run over both, so I can go home.

Son, the confusion might be that it’s said a lot that Suh plays over the RG, the right side of the OL, that and the fact you haven’t had enough coffee yet 😉

But, he’ll likely be moved around in certain situations in our Defense anyways.

The DT who plays over the RG is the LDT. It’s like a mirror. The LDT is the DT on the MLB’s left from the defense’s point of view. It’s not that fucking complicated. LOL

Coach Joe Philbin said he “really like(s) the ways (Jordan Cameron) has fit into the offense so far.”
    Over the last two seasons, Charles Clay averaged 4.2 catches for 45.4 yards and 0.3 touchdowns per game. When healthy, the highly athletic Cameron provides an upgrade on Clay in terms of both size and speed.
    ________________________
    Oh lordy lordy please please please stay healthy. He’s looked great in OTA’s too so far.

If Suh is line up opposite the RG, that would make him a LDT.

Quarterback: Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
      This was the easiest choice on the list. OK, OK; which quarterback is truly underrated? None of the decent ones. So Tannehill gets the nod, partially because I underrated him last season. Tannehill — who recently signed an extension with the Dolphins through 2020 — finished fifth in completion percentage in 2014, and his passer rating has steadily gone up in each of his three seasons (76.1, 81.7 and 92.8).

GD, you trying to put together a slide show? LOL

25. jetsssuck says:

Here’s a thought maybe Suh will line up depending if he has a mismatch that he can exploit. Maybe he will blow up the OL by playing against a rookie guard instead of a better guard. Maybe he lines up against a rookie OT. He is the type of player that can create a mismatch that disrupts OL assignments

Very possible. We’re just discussing his typical position. I’ve always known and seen him on the left side from the defense’s point of view.

But then why make Phillips line up against the better vet OG?
      Suh can handle his own against the best of the best. His movement will be more about stunts, creating more confusion for OL’s & QB’s primarily in passing situations.

• jetsssuck says:

running plays can be blown up with OL mistakes or confusion of who to block. The QB has to call different plays also along with the center for different blocking assignments.The double teams that Suh demands will turn into at least 2 different blocking assignments changed with every Suh new alignment. Confusion along the OL is a big advantage considering their is 6 moving parts that have to be considered every play for 1 player.

The Detroit Free Press’ Dave Birkett observes that drops are “still an issue” for Eric Ebron at OTAs.
    Take nuggets from offseason workouts with a grain of salt, but this one is noteworthy nonetheless. Ebron only caught 54.3 percent of his targets as a rookie.

This says it all, from the Detroit Lions Official Page

Biography

Suh brings aggressiveness and instinct to the Lions’ front four and is expected to be a dominant mainstay in the middle for years to come. Possesses great versatility to move around in a variety of defensive packages and formations.

Yeah I’m sure you could put him at DE at times to take advantage of mismatches. Reggie White did the same. He was mostly a LDE but he also played DT and NT at times.

Yeah, I’m sure he does, and I honestly didn’t watch much of the Lions, or even think about which side Suh was on, even when we played them. I don’t pay attention to that, I’m too caught up in the action.

Ball watcher Mike E.

Tim, my slideshow turned into thumbs….lol

June 2, 2015 at 10:56 am
    That was the book on him coming out of college.

Yeah but guys here were knocking me for knocking him & not wanting to draft Ebron at all, let alone in the 1st.

30. jetsssuck says:

I think the most exciting DL’s in the NFL this season are going to be Buffalo’s, Houston’s and the Dolphins.

All Hail Suh!

Fred Jackson said the Bills want LeSean McCoy “to get 300-plus carries next year.”
    The Bills aren’t tip-toeing around their running back situation with fake claims about competition. Even the players know McCoy is going to be shouldering a large percentage of the load as a true feature back. As the Bills try to hide their ugly quarterback situation, Rex Ryan will be grounding-n-pounding Shady.

Mike E, I saw Cameron’s interview on Finsiders and he’s really tired of hearing about the concussions and has no concerns about it. Not saying that means it will never happen again, but he talks like he has no concussion issues.

That was what the team said when they signed him too. Listen, I hope that’s the case, but he was out all the time because of those concussions.

The reason we signed Suh and drafted Phillips is directly related to Rex Ryan in BUF, and the way the Jets are built with Chan Gailey as OC who likes to run the ball and utilize them in the screen game. Also the taller corners we added are because of Watkins Bills, and Marshall and Decker Jets. The smaller quicker corners are for the Pats. At the end of the day it rounds out pretty balanced for the rest of the league. But you can see a direct link to our division based on our offseason moves.

jetsssuck says:

June 2, 2015 at 11:25 am (Edit)

ryan sure knows how to get coaching jobs with up and coming teams.
    ___________________________________
    He also knows how to find teams without a QB

• jetsssuck says:

remember last year where his qb played like a hs qb the first game against us then the final game the guy played like a all pro nfl qb. SORRY FOR THE MEMORY.

I remember all too well man. Posted a perfect QB rating, and no one was more pissed than me. Another December to dismember. lol

• jetsssuck says:

was it called coaching his players up or did miami play badly?

getterdone says:
    June 2, 2015 at 10:20 am (Edit)

I have no confusion, I’ve only ever seen him play on the left side but Ournads wants to list him as RDT, they are confused. I’m fine and I’ve had plenty of coffee.

36. Nice work Naples!!!!!
    ______________________________________________

In other news, I do miss Miami and my teams, not being there for games in all sports sucks. My (from internet) Hurricanes — who have played in 43 straight NCAA Tournaments — have had plenty of dazzling wins during that stretch. With the win, Miami, the nation’s No. 5 seed, now moves on to the super regional round for the first time since 2010.

Tim, yes Suh helps us in our Division but he’s here because we couldn’t stop the run at all late in the year.

Suh’s here for a lot of reasons (no matter where the F he plays!), and Odrick and Starks are gone for the same reasons

You’re right…so glad we got him, even at that lofty price. Glad the Cap goes up yearly.

Uh Ohhh!

39. Al in MIA says:

It’s good to hear that competitive fire out of Cameron but concussions aren’t like muscle/bone injuries, you can’t attempt to strengthen/repair the brain to reduce the probabilities of the injury reoccurring. I hope Cameron can avoid them but at this point he’s not likely to change his style of running routes and catching the ball (altering it can help protect his head better in open space). He’s been concussed 3 times in the last 2 NFL seasons of his career so it’s a good bet it’s going to happen again within a year. I just hope he can defy the odds and not be out when Fins need him most.

Lou is killing it on Twitter

Professor Lou ‏@professor_lou · 13m13 minutes ago
    “Christ. Omar Kelly’s at practice again”

Professor Lou ‏@professor_lou · 20m20 minutes ago
    “Seriously, my steaks have to be about that big or I’m still hungry when I’m finished”

42. Al in MIA says:

LOL @ umi’s situation. Nothing tops that dude at the Lions game last season who left a note to some dude with a pregnant GF at the game (cause she was texting some other dude on the phone while he was getting food/drinks).

43. Al in MIA says:

I wanted to add that I hope Sims and Lynch can just step up and make us not have to worry about what happens to Cameron 🙂

44. Al in MIA says:

Gigi,
    AROD field yep heh; my fathers biz partner (well now former because he chose another line of business) designed the renovated stadium.

I’d be willing to bet that Cameron wears the new Riddell speed-flex helmet.

In the last Jets game I’d say Miami played badly. When Decker is running down the field with nobody near him something isn’t right. There were a few more plays like that as well where we had major breakdowns in coverage.

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly
    “@MollyCharlieDog: you think Cam Newton worth significantly more than RT? Which would you take?”» don’t do this. It won’t end well
    _______________________
    SMH, I pity the fool.

People will say a lot of things about Cam but he took his team on his shoulders last December and went undefeated and well you know what we did. You get what you can get as a player and if I were Carolina there’s no way I’m letting Cam get away.

49. Al in MIA says:

Jetssuck,
    Canes baseball stadium was renovated over 8-9 years ago.
    No HS has a facade on the outside like this LOL

Looks nice

• jetsssuck says:

looks nice…But its right on US1. Is it even on UM’s campus. Why is the outgoing school prez meeting with major league soccer about building a soccer stadium for the soccer king who wants to bring soccer to south florida? UM attendance for sporting events ranks almost at the bottom of the ACC division maybe they are going to make a football/soccer stadium on UM’s campus. Maybe they can make a 35k capacity stadium on the UM campus.This would be perfect for UM football and soccer.

50. Al in MIA says:

LOL @ Kelly comment
    “THIS GUY DOESNT KNOW IT YET BUT IM SHIPPING HIM THE F OUT”

51. Al in MIA says:

I think Cam is a little more game than Tanny but reality is you can’t cherry pick who you get as QB. It’s a big crap shoot. Cam is only marginally better than Tanny IMO at this point. I still like Tanny’s ceiling …at this point, my expectation of Tanny when we drafted him is that he would be no worse than Matt Ryan and it’s looking like i’ll be right.

son of a son of a shula says:
    June 2, 2015 at 12:13 pm

i agree. it was really impressive how cam didnt let his team give up last min scoring drives to gb or det or fall apart out in den in the second half. imho cam is the best player they have on def. it is a simple fact, philbin will never make it as a head coach as long as he keeps relying on tanny to play defense.

53. Al in MIA says:

Gigi,
    One of my favorite all time moments at Canes baseball game (my dad used to take my brothers and I to the games as kids and throughout HS) was my youngest brother trolling Sonny Hirsh LOL.
    As you might remember, the broadcasters (radio guys) were in the last row of the bleecher behind home plate. Me and my other brothers used to get him to go sit next to the first available seat next to Sonny’s spot and have him yell “LETS GO CANES” loudly in what was a mid week empty affair LOL. He was around 9 at the time and after about 15 minutes Sonny goes ‘son, you mind? i cant even hear myself talk” LOL. Sonny said it laughing though which is somethign I’ll always remember.

54. Al in MIA says:

Regarding Omar, He’s also the same guy who said Nick Foles wouldn’t be good during pre-draft evaluations.

55. Al in MIA says:

June 2, 2015 at 11:31 am

———-
    I think it has more to do how TB has put an emphasis on DL over the years as well as Tannanbaum’s teams in NY. Both Hickey & Tannenbaum know the importance of strong line play and saw weaknesses in Miami when they arrived.

56. Al in MIA says:

Gigi,
    Cost. My total tuition cost at UF for all years of education was less than 1/3 of what it costs at Umiami today for 1 semester. Also, UF’s Finance program was rated best in state which is what i went to study.

57. Al in MIA says:

I think Phillips probably lines up behind Mitchell but like any other position depth, once you are a backup you are a backup to multiple specific positions not just where you are on the depth chart.

• jetsssuck says:

Suh is gonna need a breather every once in while but with his salary he should be playing every play if I was owner.

58. Rhino says:

Naples… nice to see “Roster-bation” is underway. It is the official sign (like the first tulip of spring) that “draft talk” is over.

Your depth chart reminds us of how ‘uncertain’ the linebacker core is. Talent? yes, a fair amount… but also lots of questions that hopefully will be answered with guys living up to expectations.

LB and CB/S could still be churned if a solid vet gets cut somewhere else. But DAMN our D-line is beastly. Francis and Johnson would be tough to let go of… clearly the two guys who are gonna have a hell of a time making the team.

Gigi (@Mrs2620) says:
    June 2, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Ahhh yes public v. private school. I got my Paralegal Degree at UM my firm paid for it,

isnt that how most people get a degree from the U……..they buy one.

• Al in MIA says:

lol, you are such a Richard 🙂
      My parents both are UMiami graduates (my mom’s father attended UMiami before being drafted to serve in the military during the Korean conflict).

60. naplesfan2010 says:

Hey guys … great discussion on where Suh lines up, but tbh I just put him in for Starks/Odrick because that is who he replaced and they almost always lined up as our RDT.

61. Al in MIA says:

Agree Rhino, talent matters as to who stays lol. However, I think Johnson has more talent than Francis and a few other guys in the secondary & LB unit (rookies of note) have more talent at their position than Francis at the DL position (relative to NFL talent at each position of course!).

• Rhino says:

what I do like about our roster so far is that these guys are gonna have to work hard and find a little something extra to make the team. competition makes everybody better.

62. Rhino says:

Naples, an asterisk next to the new guy Suh? Not sure if he has the “it” factor yet. 😉

As far as I’m concerned, the “IT” factor will be if he can get our defense over the December choke.

63. FFR: I earned that degree, as Al said it’s super expensive and I was fortunate enough to have my firm believe in me and they paid for it. I could not afford it myself. Also, I know you are just busting my chops….lol. 😛

64. Al in MIA says:

Jetsuck,
    UMiami’s baseball stadium is on the campus property line. The entire South border of UMiami is bordered by Ponce De Leon Boulevard which is a road that runs parallel to US1 with the Metro Rail property between the two roads. The campus is located in a wealthy neighborhood and has no room for expansion because they won’t pay high property prices to clear housing along it’s borders (for those living in LA; it’s a similar situation to UCLA which I have been to). There has been talk of a stadium construction perhaps in South Miami but then there’s the whole re-gentrification talk. There’s a small underprivileged neighborhood a few blocks away already being reduced in size by developers looking to spruce up the off campus housing and also real estate gurus trying to capitalize on the housing market nearby. The most logical solution would be to make a stadium on Tropical Park’s field which is currently used for HS games (and was once a horse race track with a big grandstand that collapsed during Hurricane Andrew and replaced with big metal bleachers). Tropical Park is 2-3 miles from Umiami’s campus and meets the conditions needed to host large scale events.

• jetsssuck says:

I don’t see it happening with public land. The fanbase for soccer is great but football I don’t see it happening unless they can get a break with the local commissioners. I hope they make a soccer pitch for broward county. The Marlins baseball stadium had a broward proposal near where I live but wasn’t chosen. They just started building a metro plex near sawgrass mall where the baseball stadium would have been.

65. Al in MIA says:

Rhino,
    Agree. Competition makes everyone better (or at least weeds out those who don’t try LOL).
    Btw, GO WARRIORS BABY!

al and gigi,

just having some fun. besides i just wanted to keep jetssuck company as to hating everything miami but being a fan.

now i am out, lots to do today. cant wait for tomorrow to read od’s portrayal of that lying cheating POS anti christ shula and how he bullied his way to coaching a undefeated season. if only they had ball boys back then shula could of made his life so much easier.

67. Al in MIA says:

One last thing about the DL chart is that Fede was viewed on draft day as possibly being an interior DL guy over time (as he bulks up). It’s still in the real of possibility i guess.

Son & Gigi, getting back to Cam Newton & how he carried his team on his back in Dec. to win the crappy NFC South division @ 7-8-1.
    The wins at the time in Dec were over 5-8 Saints, 2-12 Bucs, 7-9 Browns, & 6-10 Falcons.
    Plus don’t forget how well the Panthers Defense was playing….just saying. 🙂

That’s 3 division wins right there, we were 0-3 in the division in December!

I know their D played well but Cam came back from that car accident and lit it up in December.

He didn’t exactly ‘light’ it up, but I was surprised how well he did bounce back from that car crash. He seemed to play with more purpose after that.

69. Al in MIA says:

Alright, I’m off to lunch.

Al, Fede is a guy who they see flexibility with both as an inside or outside player.

GDP, We’re fine with Tannehill and him letting his hair grow out is a sign that he’s heading in the right direction.
    He fell short of his broken I-pad quota I set for him last season so that may really be why Suh is here. He has to learn what pissed off is and how to have uncontrollable anger issues.

Jetssuck

a combined stadium for Miami Pro soccer and UM Football makes a lot of sense

The City of Miami isn’t ready to do any Miami Sports organization any favors after what Loria did to the city using the Marlins

Miami soccer can thrive but they need that stadium and I personally think UM can use a stadium that isn’t shared with the Dolphins
    so it seems like a shared stadium and smaller (35k) is also a good idea IMO

I thought Ross was trying to lure in soccer with his revamped stadium?

is he?
        Miami Soccer definately is looking for a home
        I think their goal is downtown Miami

Maybe not MLS but rather on the World Cup level and some of the other big tournaments

• jetsssuck says:

I think broward would be better for soccer than dade. Broward parks and recreation build a 8 million dollar stadium/park for soccer competition and it’s been overflowing every soccer event. I don’t know if dade is as diverse as broward since I don’t have a specialized passport to visit dade. I was with some friends a while back and we described 38 different nationalities in south florida.

• jetsssuck says:

you would think the robbies would be interested in ownership…Joe Robbies wife donated the money for the University of Minnesota could build a soccer stadium for the womens team.

Sonny, I’m all for a pissed off hard chargin RT17 baby!

Perhaps no player is more excited about the possibilities for Cameron than quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Even with the loss of Charles Clay in free agency, Tannehill is thrilled with the tight end tandem of Cameron and third-year player Dion Sims.

And with Cameron so familiar with the offense, it has allowed him and the quarterback to get “on the same page faster,” Tannehill said.

“He’s been in the system before, so he’s kind of ahead of the curve,” Tannehill added. “He’s going to be a great weapon for us. You pair him with Dion Sims and you’ve got two really good tight ends who can stretch the field and put pressure on defenses.”

Evil Greg Jennings!

76. jetsssuck says:

[PDF]MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, FLORIDA – Miami-Dade Portal
    There are 156 nationalities rep- resented in the County, with approxi- mately fifty percent of the residents being foreign born and over 100 different languages …

Dion Sims is now a “really good” TE…and he can stretch the field? Oh the hope and blind homerism of the preseason. Lol

…and Tannehill is a great QB

….and piggies fly

It’s ridiculous what average NFL qbs are getting paid these days. It shows you just how important getting even an average QB is in the NFL today. The rules have been messed with so much to favor QBs. it’s elevated their value because they can basically do whatever they want without worrying about getting hit or having a call go against them. Just another way that the NFL has screwed up the game. No one player(or side of the ball) should be given that big of an advantage in a team game. Now, even average guys can be marquee QBs.

As for Sims, Mellencamp said it best:
    He is young and he is improving
    living laughing play by play

I would really like to see Lippett turn into a legit CB. That would be a great pick, and lord knows we need help in that secondary.

Hickey seems to really be hitting on late round picks as guys in the mix to contribute.
      His 1st & 2nd round picks have been solid as should be too.

He’s doing a good job in my book, except for waiting on the O-line this year. If TandT do their jobs, it was a great draft

getterdone
    I just don’t like the way the NFL has changed the game in the past 10-15 years. It’s not about my dislike for QBs. I just think they’ve unbalanced the playing field. WRs get away with everything nowadays too. They talk all the time about the integrity of the game, but they’ve changed the rules so much that they are taking the integrity out of the game.
    ***
    For instance, the fact that the QB can throw the ball away at certain times. We’ve all grown to accept that is just part of the game over the years, but it is completely unfair. It’s not even debatable, but yet…it’s within the rules now. Why? Because they want to protect the highly paid QBs and increase the scoring because they think that’s what fans want….and…make more money because they know that most fans just wanna see their favorite star player do good…so they don’t go away mad and will buy that $200 jersey. Lol

That’s happening more and more over the years, but it started a while ago, just ask the players from the 60’s and 70’s.

Al, I was just saying you can see a correlation in our offseason moves and our division opponents and what out struggles were against those teams. Not that we’re building just for them.

naplesfan2010 says:
    June 2, 2015 at 6:51 am
    ——————————
    Was seeing that mistake too but was trying to find a nice not nitpicky way of bringing it up lol. Numbers seems pretty solid to me, i expect 12 DB’s i think there will be a few who are like Wilson and hover between CB/S.

Again, most of your locks seem spot on, i think you would be pretty safe including Tripp as a lock, probably Shepard too, but there is an outside chance one of these two wont make it. I think Taylor is a lock as well, and im fairly confidant if Delmas if healthy he is a lock, but im not sure he’s top of the depth chart.

Looks you have all but one of our DL picked out. I think Anthony Johnson rounds out that list, though Francis has been a guy whom i have said is going to feel the ax a couple years in a row and he has proven me wrong each time.

Fede, Dieke and Drew i think make a hard final cut decision, but Fede i think wins out because he can play both DT and DE. Drew and Dieke have tremendous size and would make for good PS stashes, Drew in particular could add 10-15 lbs and be a bigger version of Fede and be good for filling two position needs. Depending on how those last three perform i could see them shedding LB’s down to 6 and keeping an extra DT/DE hybrid guy, and possibly see if he is capable of playing OLB in certain packages like McCain did.

LB is going to be a tight race too, and i think we PS at least one of Luc, Hull, Vigil, possibly 2. I think it all depends on Paysinger. If Paysinger performs well he will Join Tripp and Sheppard as 2nd tier LB’ers. He doesnt and i could easily see Vigil, Hull, or Luc filling the last two spots. If we keep 6 it may mean none of the UDFA’s make it, and in that case i think we keep at least 2 of them on the PS. Im a little undecided at this point because we havent had a lot of feedback from those guys yet, so probably know more as TC progresses.

Im going to group the CB/S’s into one group, because i think there are some that are going to have their chance at both positions. I do think we keep 11 total though, possibly 10 if we want to keep and extra DL or LB. Again a tight race (anyone see a very positive pattern here?) The suprise could be Delmas. I really think he is just a backup plan and/or a vet presence as a backup for our team. I dont see him as our starter WK1, and im unsure if he stays with the team if his health is still questionable by time we make the last cuts. Also if one of the young guys rises up, who knows they may cut him infavor of younger and cheaper. I think this winds up being our list if we keep 10.. Grimes, Br. McCain, R. Jones, Taylor, Davis, Aikens, Bowman, Bo. McCain, Thompson, Lippett. If its 11 i think we keep Delma, in addition to the rest. Kinda sucks because i really like both D. Jones and Michael Thomas, i dont think either of them qualify for PS.

I disagree with Michael Thomas being cut, he’s the guy I think would start if they did decide to let Delmas go.
    Davis, to me, is the one who is in the most trouble because he hasn’t stayed healthy yet.

I think the Suh signing was nothing more than going after a great player who also happened to be at a position of need. I hope we aren’t building a team to beat any other certain team. That, to me, is a failed approach because teams change so much year to year anymore. Just because the Yets have a certain strength right now, doesn’t mean they’ll have that strength 3 years from now. I’d rather be proactive rather than reactive.
    ***
    I’m more in favor of building a strong, versatile team that has no glaring weaknesses and is malleable enough to play with anybody. you have to beat all sorts of differently built teams to win championships. If we build a team to beat Brady, for instance, what happens when he retires? Isn’t it a better plan to build a team that can beat Really good offenses?

The first thing coaches set out to do is win their division so it’s definitely part of the process.

When we drafted Jordan what did all the pundits say right after the pick, this is about Tom Brady.

The LT position became a big deal because of LT. Joe Gibbs said if we can’t block 56 we can’t run our offense.

• jetsssuck says:

he lives in my daughters development I saw him chipping golf balls in his front yard once.

I think Su was getting that guy on defense that we can build a D around, i think tits finding the central cog to how our offense is designed to work and making that be a very elite level player. It like picking a guy to be the QB of our defense and then building around him. Ravens did it with Ray Lewis, Houston with Watt, etc. I do think you have to be malleable because players dont last forever, but i think he’s your cornerstone and the rest is having the right guys behind him to step up when the time comes. I dont think we got Suh to beat Brady, we got Suh to beat everybody.

Yeah of course, but we needed to upgrade DT so we went after the best one. Then drafted one in the 2nd round.

Again I’m not saying it’s solely about our division but to treat it as if it has nothing to do with it is shortsighted.

getterdone says:
    June 2, 2015 at 10:59 am
    June 2, 2015 at 10:56 am
    That was the book on him coming out of college.

————————————
    Odell Beckham was my top guy 2014, if we has some luck and he fell that far. James was my top guy after that didnt happen. Still, I woulda been one of them on the Ebron bandwagon, beliving he was a top talent. TBH, Ebron to me still is an elite level talent and i think just needs some quality work with coaching or outside trainers for improving his technique..

I think though, even if Ebron has fallen to us, we still would have selected differently. Our coaches covet good fundamentals over a lot of the flashier stats or abilities. If they can get it both in one guy, great but i think they weight fundamentals heavier than a lot of teams.

Randy, the negative affect on football is completely due to fantasy football. The more it becomes a real money industry, the more they look to find a way to inflate the production numbers. They do it in the guise of safer football but really its about fantasy football players having players with beastly stats.

That stuff may be true, but I still don’t think building a team to beat a specific team makes sense. I know it seems like it, but NE isn’t going to be the team to beat in our division for the next 20 years! Lol. What happens when we build a team to beat NE and Buffalo becomes the team to beat? Do we change our plan and build a team to beat them? Just build a good team and you can beat anybody.
    ***
    And, I think things have changed with FA. Back when LT played, Gibbs knew he’d be facing him every year. You can draft a left tackle to take on a guy you know will be playing against you every year. Now, guys switch teams too often for that to be a concern.

But doesnt havign Suh on our team do that? Doesnt it help us beat anybody? I dont think it was limited to beating just Brady, though im sure there will be great please when we can sweep them every year again.

D,
    Exactly. That’s why a QB throwing for 4000 yards, a RB running for 1000 yards or a WR catching 100 balls for 1000 yards just doesn’t mean much.
    ***
    Lunch is over….later fellas.

D,
    I think signing Suh was simply about getting a great player and a cornerstone player on defense. It doesn’t have to be anything more than that. It’s not rocket science. Lol

No i agree completely with that. I thought you were saying we were trying to get a guy just to beat Brady. I must have missed your point.

son of a son of a shula says:
    June 2, 2015 at 1:22 pm
    That’s 3 division wins right there, we were 0-3 in the division in December!

I don’t know about lighting it up…in the three December games he played, the New Orleans game he played well. Three TD’s no Ints. Next gamer 1 TD 1 Int. final Game 1 TD no Ints.

Over the year he scored 18 Passing TD’s and threw 12 ints (also ran in 5 TD’s)

He Only completed more than 25 passes in a game ONCE the entire year…..

Tannehill is the better QB 28 TD > 23 TD (or 27 PTD is WAY better than 18 PTD) (Pass touch down)

Cam was hurt almost all of last year. He started the season with bad ribs and an ankle sprain then about the time he got healthy is when he wrecked his truck.
      Tannehill is a better passer but stats don’t get you in the playoffs, Cam gets you in the playoffs.

Tanny is better than Cam hands down. Cam is a beast athletically but he is no where the QB (taking into count the intangibles like leadership) that Tanny is.

June 2, 2015 at 3:22 pm

———————————-
    I think the only way Brady factored into the decision is the fact that he is on a team that pressure from interior pass rush really disrupts them and gives you a better chance to win. Still you can say that about most all of the offenses lol. So is it about Brady or is it about competing in the modern NFL.

I wasn’t focused on just Suh though. I mentioned Suh and then Phillips, the bigger corners for Watkins on BUF, Marshall and Decker on the Jets, and the smaller quick twitch corners for the Pats pain in the ass slot guys. But I also said it ends up being a balance for everyone else.

Again, it’s not solely to beat your division rivals. If you build a team that doesn’t match up well with your division rivals in mind you’re not helping yourself. Go look at the mid and late 80s teams who got slaughtered by the Bills and Pats even with Dan Marino.

I didn’t expect to get such a debate on my comment about this. Let’s move along shall we. LOL

Not really a debate, your pretty much saying the same thing. Yes you are right about the fact inter-division match-ups are important but its because your guaranteed to play them and play them twice every year. So even building a team to beat a specific team needs to primarily factor in the teams you are guaranteed to play. I think though you are missing the point of what Randy is saying, (well and now me carrying the torch of this “argument), build your team to beat anyone and its the best team for 18 games, build a team targeting your iner-division opponents and you have a team best for 6. What about the other 12?

I’m not missing Randy’s point because I wasn’t saying exclusively to beat our division rivals, but with our eye on it which is obvious to me. If you build a defense that’s good against the run, has a pass rush and both big and smaller quick twitch corners you have a nice balance for other opponents as well. I said that originally, and I’m talking specifically about our defense, not our offense.

96. Jahndoh30 says:

Randy, When Tom Brady retires both teams will be totally different. Nobody is building a team today for who they might play in 20 years, but they are building teams to contend with the best teams in their division first, and conference 2nd.

This is not a dogmatic statement. When you get players on defense that can beat the Patriots you find yourself with players that can also beat the Colts, or the Broncos, or Steelers. it’s not one or the other, doing one aids in doing the other.

D

What do tits have to do with how we’re building our team?

98. Jahndoh30 says:

Cam is an athlete, RT is a QB.

June 2, 2015 at 3:40 pm
    D

What do tits have to do with how we’re building our team?
    ———————————-
    What do tits not have to do with ever conversation. Tits are the Kevin bacon of body parts. They are just 7 layers of separation from any subject.

I’m an ass man myself.

Hey Jahn. ever come across one of those Oar fish that are washing up on Cali beaches?

Holy crap!! Those things are huge

103. Al in MIA says:

Randy,
    It’s happening in all major US sports. You have plenty of mediocre baseball players getting paid more than solid NFL QB in terms of guaranteed money LOL. Quite a few sub average baseball players (statistically speaking) get paid more than some Pro Bowlers in the NFL.
    Anyway, in terms of offensive direction by way of rule changes, it happened in the NBA starting in the 90s after the Knicks/Bulls rivalry under Pat Riley / Phil Jackson (removal of hand check on defense, then no forearm on a guys back, then back to some vague whenever the hell you want to call it contact definition). In baseball they’ve done other tinkering as well over the years (they lowered the mound in 1969 to reduce a pitchers leverage throwing off the mound; done other things since like reduce the field distance between home and the outfield wall at many parks and also tightening the laces on baseballs).

Mike E, they can grow to almost 40 feet.

105. Al in MIA says:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora now26 seconds ago

Cam Newton gets $103.8M in 5 year extension. Averages close to $21M/yr with $60M guarantee. Get massive $67.6M in 1st 3yrs. Wow.

is it chicken, oarfish

….get it

(piggy lowers his head in shame)

Mike E, the one I posted says 23 feet. Here’s another.

Damn, that sucka is a Fukushima Fish…see its scales glowing?

With Cam signing
    Tanny moves farther down QB list of salaries
    and then even farther after Wilson and Luck sign

People should be estastic that we signed Tanny when we did…but some people have poopey in their pants

LMAO @ Goodell’s quote…smh!

Commissioner Roger Goodell has declined to recuse himself from Tom Brady’s appeal hearing.
    “Because protecting the integrity of the game is the commissioner’s most important responsibility, I decline to rewrite our CBA to abrogate my authority and discretion to hear any appeal in a conduct detrimental proceeding,” Goodell said.

Goodell has now boxed himself in, if he reduces the suspension everyone (except the pat fan) will want his head or at least will settle for his job.

Dave Hyde @davehydesports
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen a coach kiss a player’s butt more than Mike Zimmer is doing now to Adrian Peterson.

113. Al in MIA says:

GDP,

LOL

Lol. Zimmer is not an ass kisser. I love the way that guy coaches and talks honestly about his team. The guy ripped his team and players often during the season. As he said, he will ALWAYS fight for his players. Smart comment by a head coach. And, putting this whole thing behind them as fast as possible makes zimmer’s job easier.
    ***
    And what the hell is up with all these oar fish dying?

Randy, are you aware this is an issue in the Minn schools of St. Paul?

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Have the taxpayers of St. Paul spent nearly $3 million over the past five years to bring chaos and danger to their schools and students?

Apparently so.

In 2010, the St. Paul school district began a contractual relationship with the Pacific Educational Group, a San Francisco-based organization that tries to help public schools deal with achievement and disciplinary issues involving black students.

PEG packages and sells the concept of victimization, for a very high price.

It claims that the American education system is built around white culture, tradition and social norms – aka “white privilege” – to the unfair detriment of black students.

PEG believes that black students will only achieve if school curricula are customized to meet their cultural specifications. It also rejects the concept of using suspensions or expulsions to discipline black students.

The relationship with PEG has been costly for the St. Paul district, in more ways than one.

Randy, I’m not being argumentative here, just asking. Seems there is a larger educational agenda being politically pushed across the nation, example this Common Core crap too.
    The “white privilege” stuff is really disturbing indoctrination…IMO.

Maybe I’m the dumb uneducated one. I just don’t get how any of it is helping students.

GD, it’s also an insult to black students who don’t think that way and just go to school and do well. You know the ones who aren’t black enough. Yeah that’s not too racist. SMH

Billy Turner is on Finsiders Live right now…funny, he said in his off time, JuJwan James, Jarvis Landry, & he, took up long boarding, so they go out and do that together.

Billy Turner sounds cool, well educated, sincere about his profession.
    Hope he turns out to be a huge asset here. I’m sure he will.

GDP
    I don’t know anything about that education stuff, but the issue or concern about how nonwhites are treated or disciplined by schools has been a talking point for awhile?
    ***
    Part of it for me is that it always seems to be in relation to African Americans. What about Asian kids…Hispanic, Indian, Native American, poor whites? Are we going to design curriculums for every specific cultural, ethnic or racial group. But, I’m probably just not educated well enough on the subject. I’m not sure if I understand all the nuances of the issues. People these days just like to mess with shit constantly. Lol

• jetsssuck says:

I heard politicians who are saying diversity is what makes America stronger and then I have heard arguments where making diversified company workforce makes us weaker as a nation. It’s a interesting argument for both sides.

121. naplesfan2010 says:

There is nothing wrong with Common Core.
    Common Core as it was originally conceived is merely an attempt to ensure that a HS diploma means the same thing at every school. If one school says you need 2 years of calculus to graduate and the other says if you sorta know your times tables and that’s good enough, then we have a problem in America. It would be like some football leagues saying a first down is every 8 yds and others it’s every 12. Common Core said every kid to move up from Grade X to Grade Y needs to know the following: Skill 1, Skill 2, Skill 3, etc. and it does not matter if the kid is white or not, a football star or not, a southerner or not, a female or not, a Mormon or not, a new immigrant or not, etc.
    I do not see anything wrong with that. I disagree with Affirmative Action, Ebonics as a viable alternative to Standard English, accepting lower performance from any group because of demographics, etc.

• jetsssuck says:

I can c your point of view and believe you are right in having 1 goal instead of different for evryone who is different. The gov’t makes it difficult to discriminate even if they are lessening one’s education. I guess that’s why we have private schools so our kids and parents can actually get a good education not diminished by gov’t.
      The same goes for employers who are afraid to hire the most qualified when they have a minority who is interviewed. Most American companies have gone through the hiring correction to get diversified to avoid lawsuits. Bruce Jenner types may be the new employer new hires to politically correct workforce in companies afraid of getting sued.

• jetsssuck says:

If a company has a gov’t contract the gov’t can ensure the company is diversified to meet the gov’t wishes.
        Bruce Jenner golfs from the men’s T or women’s T now?

• jetsssuck says:

I hope Bruce Jenner doesn’t want a new T box in Golf that is. I guess if the gov’t gets involved it would create jobs to create those new T boxes.

122. naplesfan2010 says:

I think diversity sounds good at first, as in “Be proud of who you are and where you came from.”
    But as it is currently being implemented, it has come to mean new immigrants are allowed or even encouraged to form essentially non-American cultural enclaves within our cities where laws are ignored and criminals are harbored and mainstream Americans are not only unwelcome but in danger.
    Continuing to allow this can only result in an ungovernable landscape composed of “territories” drawn along “tribal” or “clan” distinctions ruled by “strong-men” enforced by thug militia. Like Afghanistan. or Iraq.

Instead of continuing to integrate a melting pot, there are those with an agenda to divide once again. Sad but true.

Why does the most diverse nation on the planet continue to focus on cultural differences in the most negative way? It’s not about race, color and creed for most citizens in America, it’s about character and behavior. Some act like we’re back 50 years ago. If you haven’t seen progress I feel bad for you because your head is in the sand and you’re part of the problem.

It’s not that hard to be a decent person. All it takes is having an open mind and promoting freedom. Why is it so difficult?

Mike E, if you go to miamidolphins.com and watch the interview with Billy Turner, he reiterates what I said about this being the 2nd year in this new ZBS and offense as opposed to last year when only the coaches knew it and all the players had to learn it. Now a lot of guys know it and can play faster as well as pass it on to the new guys. It’s the 2nd phase and we should be ahead of last year. So hopefully that encourages your vision of our OL this year. 🙂

I’m considering us to have 23 starters (4 WRs), with that said we have 11 guys on rookie contracts and 11 not + Tannehill who is a tweaner (kind of still playing on his rookie contract, but not). Mostly all the starters not playing on their rookie contract are making a good salary. Having 11 guys on rookie salaries is huge, and what allows us to pay guys like Suh.

Next yr we’ll have some guys coming up like OV and Miller, and a couple like Suh and Wake who are in the breaking the bank category, all the more reason to hit on the rookies.

I don’t agree with Randy above saying you shouldn’t build to beat the power in your division, sure you want to beat everyone, but you have to win your division first. Why are certain divisions built a certain way, because they have to beat the beast first. The yr after Rickey ran for 1850 the other 3 teams went out and signed big nose tackles to stop him.

LOL, when someone says it’s not debatable, the first thing I think is it is, and that’s bully talk, radio show host do it all the time. Not debatable refers to an absolute, like saying at noon in Miami the sun is out.

It’s more prominent than people think. The first goal of all coaches and teams is to win their division. How could it not be about focusing on matchups within the division? LOL

• Brian in NY says:

If you don’t win your division, you don’t usually make the playoffs (See Dolphins, Bills, Jets).

I consider Billy Turner a better 3rd rd prospect than Dallas Thomas and regardless of what Thomas does, I think Turner will excel and flirt with pro bowl status at some point in his career.

I respect Dbolt’s college scouting ability and he was all about getting Turner here regardless of position, even LT. Just get him here. Turner has an attitude I like – not overwhelmed, grounded, articulate and talented with the size, strength and athleticism to excel. I don’t see a guy here who will stand for being pushed around. He also practices against Suh everyday who he confirmed plays the LDT position opposite him at RG with Wake on his edge at LDE.

So can we put that one to bed? Now let’s work on strong side vs. left and weak side vs. right? LOL

I see the same thing in Fede, you look at these guys play and they just seem to have this aura about them that they’ll overcome, and Douglas too. These are guys that also seem to love the game.

I like Fede. It seems like whenever he got a chance to be on the field he was making plays. He looks like he can be what Odrick was supposed to be.

Fede replaces Odrick and McCain replaces Jordan, and both become good players. We forget about a lunch pail DE like Shelby too. Add him to the mix with Suh, Mitchell, Phillips and… I say A. Johnson.
        LDT Suh/Phillips
        RDT Mitchell/A. Johnson

We didn’t even mention Wake and Vernon. LOL

What’s up FUers? Nice job again Naples. But I thought Lippett won the starting CB job yesterday.

He did and already has 3 ints on his official stat sheet. On the not so fast thing, Will Davis was also a ballhawk in OTA’s his rookie yr.

LOL. It’s a nice sign that Lippett had a good practice but he is going to be a work in progress to make the transition. And also he got those picks vs. 2nd and 3rd team. That includes Josh Freeman. I think the ball boy has a chance to pick Josh Freeman. I really wonder what happened to Freeman because there was a time he was playing lights out with Tampa and then he crashed and burned big time.

It wasn’t about who threw the ball, not sure why that matters, unless the ball was thrown right to him. Word is he showed his WR skills while playing CB.

From what I understand from reading the recaps on Freeman is that he was awful. That’s not a knock on Lippett and only 1 of Lippett’s picks was of Freeman and yes the most important thing is he was showing WR skills at DB but my only point is that it is one thing to do that during OTAs vs 2nd and 3rd string guys and another to say you are ready to do it on Sunday with 1st team.

You know who Lippett reminds me of at obviously an early stage? Everson Walls. Not overly fast but long, athletic, instincts and has good hands to pick off passes. Oh yeah, Everson Walls went undrafted in 1981 when the draft was at least 12 rounds. 😉

Everson Walls would either pick you off or give up the big play. He got burned a lot.

He was really savvy and made Dallas better than worse by a lot. I think you’re cutting him short here. If he had Deion Sanders’ speed he’s probably the best corner ever. That guy always impressed me. Really knew the game. He’s like the Zach at MLB of corners. Zach also got it handed to him. But they were both 70-30 players with big play ability. Like in hockey +/- ice time.

Everson Walls was feast or famine. He wasn’t a bad CB but he did give up the big play. Part of it was he was a gambler and always looking for the int and part of it was he was not the fastest guy but overall he had a fine career and was a quality CB. I think Lippett has much better physical skills than Walls did at least in terms of the comparison you proffered.

Ken, Lippett is almost 6-3 as opposed to a 6-1 Walls. We’re also talking a 2015 prospect as opposed to a 1981 prospect. Things have changed. But what Walls could get away with in the 80’s will not be the same game for Lippett in 2015.

If Lippett reminds me of Walls I’ll be happy.

I think Lippett can be what Sean Smith was supposed to be. A tall CB with WR skills who can defend the jump ball.

That would be cool too. Smith could do that to a degree, but he was exposed in off-man/zone where he had to close and tackle. You have to play him like Sherman.

Alright time for turning in. Been busy the past couple of days. Hopefully I will be able to get on at some point tomorrow during the day. Peace to you all.

131. jetsssuck says:

boy what a game tonight for college womens softball world series.Tomorrows winner wins it all. I learned something tonight that softball batters have less time to react to a pitch than a MLB batter since the pitching mount is closer and the average speed of pitches is 55-65mph.

Don’t forget about Aikens

or good ole Bobby McCain
    (Piggy plays a harmonica)

I think how you build a team is always debatable. That comment was about letting a QB throw the ball away. That’s not fair, but it is legal. It penalizes the defense for doing a good job….flushing a QB from the pocket. But, for arguments sake, I’ll say even that is debateable.
    ***
    As for building a team, it’s not absolute either way. I just don’t think you build a team with beating a specific team as your priority or guiding principle. Of course it’s a consideration. If a FA or draft choice also fits a need in beating a division strength…sure, but, there’s just too much change in the NFL today to do that every year with all your moves. The Black and Blue division ain’t the black and blue division anymore, but they still call it that. Lol
    ***
    The thing that I do think happens is that divisional opponents expose each other’s weaknesses b/c they get to know them so well and play them more. And, when something gets exposed, the natural response is to fix it. I really do think it’s more about scouting your own team, being honest about it’s weaknesses and strengths and building from that foundatuon of knowledge.
    ***
    Either way…nothing is written in stone. There’s plenty of ways to build a team.