Welcome to Ask Mike – 2015 Season Week 6

ASKMIKELogo

As I sat down to write this weeks article, after deciding this week would be a bad week to try and extract questions from the group, I thought to myself, “What am I going to write about today?” So many unknowns, a new HC in place, a team that seems to have played worse than the apparent talent on it, so what do I say. Do I take a positive spin on the season, or a negative one. I’ve decided to do a little of both.

The good news is, the Dolphins finally realized that Joe Philbin is not the leader they needed going forward. I’ve felt that way for quite some time as you all know, but always hoped for the best. The bad news is, even with Joe Philbin gone, and hyped up, physically imposing Dan Campbell in, the players that were here underachieving for Joe, and making excuses are still in uniform, on the active roster, and will be donning those uniforms this Sunday against the Titans in Tennessee. Although I blame Joe for a lack of fire, and certainly not enough accountability, I still feel the players should have enough drive to go out there and do their job with passion, whether they agree with the scheme, or the coach, or the GM, or the owner. They get paid the big bucks to play, yes play a game, and to not be prideful enough to give your all for yourself, and your teammates is inexcusable.

Joe Philbin

Oh boy, these players just don’t get me . . .

Oct. 5, 2015 - Davie, FL, USA - Miami Dolphins interim head coach Dan Campbell speaks during a press conference on Monday, Oct. 5, 2015, at the Dolphins training center in Davie, Fla. Campbell was announced as interim head coach after the Dolphins fired head coach Joe Philbin (Photo by Hector Gabino/Zuma Press/Icon Sportswire)

These players will get me, or I’ll run the Oklahoma drills on their face!

We’re 1-3, and of course, the New England Patriots are in 1st place at 4-0, followed by the New York Jets at 3-1, and then the Buffalo Bills at 3-2. We’ve already lost once to the Bills and Jets, leaving us 0-2 in the division. The Patriots and Jets are 1-0, the Bills 1-1. While we’ve only played 4 games, it’s a deep hole to start. OK, some good news! Outside our division, if you’re hoping like hell we can somehow get a Wild Card berth, the future looks brighter outside our division. Take away 1st place teams like the 5-0 Bengals, the 3-2 Indianapolis Colts, and the 5-0 Denver Broncos, and the rest of the AFC, with the exception of the Pittsburgh Steelers who are 3-2, are under .500. The Titans are 1-3, while the Jaguars and Texans are each 1-4. The Raiders and Chargers are 2-3, while the Chiefs are 1-4.

So where do we go from here? What do we need to improve on to become a contender, at least for a Wild Card? Big picture, we’re 28th in the NFL on Offense, and we’re 29th on defense. Suh is here! Devante Parker is here! Jordan Cameron is here! Kenny Stills is here! None of the above have made an impact on this team. So how do we change this? First of all, on the offensive side of the ball, Dan Campbell better run an Oklahoma drill on Bill Lazor’s face if he doesn’t relent from his PASS-PASS-PASS-PUNT mentality. While this much maligned O-line has looked absolutely putrid, what can get them fired up and more confident than imposing their will and running the ball down another teams throats? Time to make a concerted effort and RUN-THE-BALL. Our 24YO RB who ran for 1099 yards last year with a 5.1 YPC average has 37 rushing attempts FOR THE SEASON! Not 1 game, FOUR games! He’s averaging a way below career average 3.5 YPC, and has no rushing TD’s. I wish I could say it was because another RB has picked up the slack, but Jonas Gray, who basically has had action in one game is 2nd on the team with 10 carries. Are you kidding me? Just for fun, Ryan Tannehill is 3rd, and Jarvis Landry is 4th , with 8 carries, and 5 carries respectively. See a problem here?

Miami Dolphins running back Lamar Miller (26) at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida on December 28, 2014. (Allen Eyestone / The Palm Beach Post)

Gimme the damn ball!

On offense, it all starts with the run game for me. That’s been the biggest weakness, and due to the lack of commitment to the run game, our offense is one dimensional, and with the our less than average O-line, there is too much pressure on that unit to succeed. Branden Albert hasn’t been healthy, and his replacement at LT, Jason Fox hasn’t been either, and both have played very poorly. LG Dallas Thomas has struggled mightily. C Mike Pouncey has been OK, but when water starts pouring through the dam, one brick can only do so much. RG Jamil Douglas has struggled as well, as I expected. What I didn’t expect is RT Ju’Wuan to go backwards, way backwards after such an impressive rookie season. Our O-line is pathetic, and now we need to try and mask it somewhat by running the ball. Give these guys some confidence, and if they can’t get it done, find someone else on the roster that can!

On defense, thankfully Coyle was removed. We need to be more aggressive. It seems we can’t get 100% agreement from anyone as to what type of scheme we’ve been running “2 gap” “Read and React”, but whatever it was, it clearly wasn’t working. One place where I do believe we have legit talent is on the D-line. Suh, Mitchell, Wake and Vernon. Wake’s injury has really limited his effectiveness, to the point where he doesn’t even belong on the field. If Suh is really being double and triple teamed every play, it’s impossible that no one else can win a one-on-one battle, but we haven’t. We have plenty of differing opinions here, but mine is clearly that Suh has played well. We need him to be a beast, and he’s been tame. Maybe Philbin’s exit and Campbell’s entrance will awake the beast. Regardless of what Suh does, where is Earl Mitchell, Olivier Vernon, Terence Fede and especially Cam Wake? WTF Cam, if you’re hurt that bad, sit out the game and let an able bodied player play. It’s insane! 4 games, ZERO TACKLES, ZERO SACKS, 1 assist. GTFOOH!

Suh

I need to be a BEAST!!!!

If any of you have seen the 1977 movie “One on One”, with Robbie Benson, we need to “Pull the stops out” Incidentally, if you’re of fetal age like D, there’s no shot you’ve seen that movie, so I’ll explain the context. In the movie “One on One”, Robbie Benson plays Henry Steele, a HS basketball player from a small town in Colorado, recruited by a big college “Western University” in Los Angeles. Henry struggles with both the academics and the physicality of the college game, Henry is a slightly built but talented guard. The coach G.D. Spradlin plays Coach Moreland Smith (Same guy who played the HC in “North Dallas Forty”) tires of Henry’s struggles as he’s on a 4YR full scholarship, and tries to intimidate Henry to in order to make him renounce his scholarship. Here’s a clip from the movie, but I couldn’t find the “Pull the stops out” video, which I’ll get to later.

Henry feels frustrated with his play, so he asks his roommate and friend on the team for help, who gives him some pills, likely amphetamines, and and during practice, Steele (under the influence) at first starts to make some fantastic plays, but as he succumbs to the drug, he becomes out of control until he is escorted out of the practice by his friend. They play a very seventies-esque song call “Pull the stops out” to accompany the scene. My best pal Scott and I both love that movie, there are some classic lines we always bring up, like one would from Goodfellas, or any classic movie. Anyway, we do need to pull the stops out, and being conservative in any way should be thrown out the window. these are desperate times my friends, and the window of opportunity for this season is closing fast. But it ain’t closed yet, and a win against the Titans is the place to start.

The Titans are also 1-3, and also desperate as we will be, so it could be a wild and wacky game. Neither team can afford another loss, so I expect a hard fought game, with at least one surprise play from both teams. I hope Dan has his team ready to compete, because they haven’t really competed hard in any game this year, including the win against Washington. Son’s buddy Kirk Cousins gift-wrapped that one for us. Time to show some pride, and and fight hard, and it’s amazing sometimes what that can lead to. GO DOLPHINS!!!!
And now for the babe of the week . . .

Wonder Woman Complete Series DVD UK Box Set Lynda Carter (Pictures by dvdbash.wordpress.com)

This entry was posted in Ask Mike. Bookmark the permalink.

752 Responses to Welcome to Ask Mike – 2015 Season Week 6

tim,

yes it is, i get you are a fan of the mets, but from my stand point just fun seeing two old time baseball teams with the past of being the jinxed ones in the playoffs. it will be a fun series to watch.

Yeah, it was the Cubs who had the 9 game lead heading into August only to have the Amazings steal it from them and go onto win the WS. I was only 4 but that’s how my family made me a Mets fan.

But the Cubs were also annoying to us in 1984 like the Cards were in 1985 until we ran away with it in 1986. Those are the rivalries that stuck with me. The Pirates at times too. The Expos also gave us fits at times. LOL

October 16, 2015 at 9:45 pm

You’re watching pure love. It’s the nicest feeling. Don’t get dirty fuckface. LOL

nope, never. you should know i wouldnt. and you are right. like i said just going away for a few days and when i got him how my kids would great me was wonderful. i cant image what they go thru, away for months at a time. and the dangers they face.

GDP: THAT last map you sent me did the trick. Thanks for sending me the information. Hope to see you there!

So is this what we’re looking at?

Starters:

Stang 31-20MIA
    BriNY 31-17MIA
    UK 24-17 TEN
    Rock 27-13 TEN
    Al 20-17 MIA
    WE’RE GOOD!!!

I think Syndergaard might go Sunday. I think they’d prefer him to go, but if he doesn’t fel up to it due to warming up a few times, and pitching that 1 inning, it will be Matz.

• Brian in NY says:

He has to go tomorrow to give us the best chance. I believe he threw less than 15 pitches, so that should affect him much. They usually throw hard on the third day after a start anyway.

I think Syndergaard would start before Degrom in that scenario.

But he pitched the other night and also threw 100 warm up pitches as he got up 3 different times.

Maybe because he’s young and a big dude he can handle it, I don’t know.

This should get Mets fans pumped up! LOL

That’s great. All Gary Cohen said is that Murphy makes a lot of questionable decisions and some boneheaded plays, which is absolutely true, but the video is funny as hell anyway.

9. jetsssuck says:

I hope u guys are video recording the games so you can rewatch it when your 60-70. Usually these are once in a lifetime event.

10. jetsssuck says:

OD-95 south to stirling road exit.Turn left at light then oakwood plaza is on right

jetssuck

I have DirecTV like you do. What are the odds that I still have the same DVR 10 years from now?

• jetsssuck says:

How do you record to the dvr not directv recorder? I’m still trying to find the decimal on the remote control you know they have channels like 6217.2. My wife popped up on the tv one day and scared me, I can’t figure how she did it. Everything was so simple back in the day.

• Try Pod says:

Exactly right. On top of that, AT&T bought directv, which means a likely combining of systems. You also have a lot more fiber optic installation, potential other players (and a reduction of current ones), and potential improvements and advances in technology…

• jetsssuck says:

I used to work with t mobile and the technology has passed me so quickly since my stroke 3 yrs ago. I still talk with the guys but I am lost sometimes talking with them even though I had almost 20 years working in the industry. The certifications to work on other manufacturers equipment was unreal but I am a lot more happier reading 1st graders book.LOL

Rodney Harrion never player with RG3
    He does not know him

Rodney Harrion never player with RG3
    He does not know him personally
    He is not in the Tedkains lockerroom
    He doesn’t know anything about RG3
    He is just kicking some one when they are down – like the vast majority if hacks in sports media are

Former players can be the worst
    People give them credibility bc he used to play the game
    But he doesn’t know rg3 more than either of you guys
    They are all click whores now
    Competitions with sensationalism

14. jetsssuck says:

Paul Lankfort former dolphin now plays for the colts. The Colts drafted 2 DL players to try to overcome the Patriots killing them with the running game the last 4 games. Should be a real good game

15. ocalahowie says:

Another Ex-Fin gonna give us some payback in a few weeks.
    I believe we let all our guys walk to teams we will be facing this year.
    Cant wait to see Will Davis!
    CAN YOU SAY PICK SIX!!
    GO PHINS!!!

Just printing out the Fest tickets……..you guys owe me for a color print cartridge. 🙂

• jetsssuck says:

you know u can buy replacement refilled cartridges on ebay for as low as 5 bucks each instead of 30-40 from retail stores

jetssuck

I’m recording to the DVR in the DirecTV receiver.

Piggy still defending RGIII. LOL

Look at where RGIII is now.

jetsssuck, I have no idea what you’re talking about. Lankfort and now Kendall?

• jetsssuck says:

kendall lankfort plays for colts now. He was second rounder that year who was our 1st rounder. Here’s a clue “Double Down” strategy

Oh okay. Kendall was a 3rd rounder and the 2nd rd was Phillip Merling though he was pick #32 because the Pats lost their 1st due to spygate.

Maybe it just me, but I think the game tmrw will be the most interesting on in a real long time.

The revolution has happened.
    A new and very different leader in place.
    We talking Libya or George Washington?

Here is the sports final Q that stumped the finalists on Jeopordy. Can any of you get it without cheating?

22. ocalahowie says:

Oh well I am sure the Ravens have someone else of ours waiting in the wings and I guess it will be Vontae getting the Pick Six instead.
    Dont Worry Were Still Good!!!

23. ocalahowie says:

Who does the Titans have?

24. ocalahowie says:

A simple mistake
    Paul Langford, Kendall Lankfort
    I was thinking Paul myself when that dude was with us

I know the jeopardy answer. But I saw the show. Is that cheating? I still knew the answer. 🙂

October 17, 2015 at 2:52 pm

i think the answer is fire al golden.

i didnt see the show but i think i know the answer. i have heard a local talk show host say it

October 17, 2015 at 2:41 pm

what do you mean? interesting as they are going to play well? the game is already one of the most interesting in a long time due to the circumstances

Nope — how can it not be memorable given the switch from Philbin to Coach Rambo?

Lets hope it is in the right way…..

29. ocalahowie says:

Well I expect us to KICK some ASS!!!
    but we are only going to win by a few
    Interesting Indeed
    WERE GOOD!!!

mich vs mich st……………coeds bundled up in coats, sweaters and gloves

mia vs v tech………………coeds half naked in the stands.

miami wins every time.

October 17, 2015 at 4:43 pm

well duh, what i was asking. of course this game is memorable, it is a first with a new coach. it would be memorable for any team.

I’m going with the Los Angeles Angels- City of Angels.

Even if you can’t make the game……..maybe you can make the meet-up on Friday.
    We’ll be there staring at six till say ten.
    All you need do is pay for your beverages since food is included.

Dave & Buster’s
    3000 Oakwood Blvd.
    Hollywood, FL 33020
    Phone 954-923-5505

Brian, it looks like you are right with the pitching matchups.

Starters:
    Sat. 17 Harvey
    Sun. 18 Syndergaard

Tues. 20 deGrom
    Wed. 21 Matz (L)
    Thur. 22 Harvey

Sat. 24 Syndergaard
    Sun. 25 deGrom

• Brian in NY says:

Good. That’s the best chance we have in this series.

Awesome avi!

I think I took someone saying Syndergaard threw 100 warm-up pitches too literally. It was probably more like 50-60 and half of them were just having a catch to loosen up. He’ll also have had 2 full days off between when he last threw on Thursday. He probably didn’t throw at all yesterday but will today a little bit just to loosen up and then it’s a night game tomorrow so plenty of hours of rest.

Go Mets!

If there was ever a question that Landry was the go to guy for Tanny (even if I’m still looking for Parker as a got-to in the red zone).

From Berry.
    ——————–

Jarvis Landry, Dolphins: Only Antonio Brown has as many eight-reception games in his past nine (dating back to last season). If you are of the mind that things regress to the mean (and I am), you’ll note that Landry, yes, Jarvis Landry, leads the NFL in red zone targets this season. And of the 18 players with at least seven red zone targets, Landry is the only one without a red zone touchdown. I say that changes Sunday.

Landry is going to be the present and future on offense. But Parker is going to join him at some point and I think that could start this week. 🙂

36. ocalahowie says:

BriNY 31-17MIA
    UK 24-17 TEN
    Rock 27-13 TEN
    Al 20-17 MIA
    WE’RE GOOD!!!

37. jetsssuck says:

wow what a ending for michigan st I have never seen anything like it

38. ocalahowie says:

Thanks Tim
    GO CUBS!

Daniel friggin Murphy!!! He’s playing out of his mind. 🙂

yeah go cubs

(but only cause i want the best for mike and tim)

In watching the ND/USC game it occurred to me that it is quite possible that Dan Hicks and Jim Nantz share the same voice box

wtf, when did the mets sign the unibomber?

Holy crap….a starting pitcher going to the 8th inning? What are the Mets thinking?😏

what the heck up there. how cold is it up there that everyone at the mets game are in jackets and sweaters? what kind of pansies wear jackets in october.

so here is why the college football rankings are a joke. so number 8 fla loses to number 6 lsu at lsu by a td and now instead of the pollsters saying see we got it right and leaving the teams ranked as they had them, it will be all of a sudden the number 10 team in the nation will now be better then the previous number 8 team cause they lose to a team you already said was better then them.

Yeah! Keep it going Let’s go Mets!!!!

FFR…you could have saved yourself some typing and stopped after your first sentence: the college football rankings are ALWAYS a joke

You guys are killin’ me with the Cubs are favored to win the world series 😉

Go read up on sports betting, it only means there’s more money bet on the Cubs, and for other reasons than they’re the best team.

Wow Rob, I don’t know if you’re just messing around as per your norm, but your logic on the college football rankings in mind boggling.

By your logic if a team had a preseason ranking of #10 and they played the top 9 teams in the country the first 9 games and lost all of them, then they should still be #10 😛