The Wedge Scouting Report: Joshua Garnett, OG

3 -2 -1 Liftoff

Another fine launch GX4!

Oh hey, Dolfans.  Wondering who GX4 is?  He’s my launch specialist.  He’s gets me into space so I can destroy more lifeforms.  And he’s the best.  GX4 has iron will – he never fails me.  Its hard to believe he is a Stanfordulsian.

I know…I know…how prejudicial of me.  I should not judge Stanfordulsians like that.

It’s just that my last Stanfordulsian, Johanna Martian, well he was so soft…

Every time Johanna launched me, he used to cry.  He didn’t want to destroy any planets or lifeforms…what a softy.  He cried so much….he melted…

JohannaMartian

He even reported me to his mother, who threatened to sue my boss, the Alpha Alien.

Well I had two choices: 1. Stop destroying so many lifeforms; or 2. well…

So after I took the second option, they replaced Johanna with another Stanfordulsian.  Oh no, not another marshmallow!!!

I guess I prejudged, because his replacement, GX4 is made of iron and very reliable!

But you don’t want to hear about my launch specialist, you want to hear about football!

Which brings me to Joshua Garnett, an offensive lineman from Stanford.

JoshuaGarentt3

So why draft the Outland Trophy winner.  Are you kidding me?

He was the best guard in the country.

At 6-5 and over 320 pounds (depending who you ask) Garnett is a beast of a man.

And he is not soft either!

Joshua Garnett

Quite the contrary.  He’s mean, scrappy and will put you on your Fxeeeblebubbs.

Oh…you don’t believe me.  You think because he went to Stanford, and you’ve had bad experiences with Stanford offensive linemen, that it’s the same thing all over again.

You judgmental Earthling – how dare you.

JoshuaGarnett2

Okay, let’s just bury your stereotypes now.  If you don’t – well Garnett may bury you.

Garnett didn’t just win the Outland Trophy in 2015.  He won the Morris Trophy (Pac-12 lineman of the year), and was named first team All American by Sporting News, The Associates Press and USA Today among others.

JoshuaGarnett5

It was pancake block after pancake block for Garnett.

Stanford plays a pro style offense.

Garnett excelled at run blocking for Stanford.  He did quite a job in the passing game too.

Garnett is probably ready to play on Day 1 of his NFL career.  He played left guard at Stanford his entire career.

If Garnett was an Alien Weapon of Destruction he would be the dreaded Stanfordulsian Iron Mashmallow….He will put you on your Fxeeeblebubbs!

GarnettIronMarshmallow

Watch his highlights here:

Aside | This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

779 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: Joshua Garnett, OG

1. Al in MIA says:

D,
    Of course, reaction time is probably most important.
    Remember Chris Clemons? The guy ran a 4.32 sec 40 yard dash at his combine. He looked way slower on film…guy would always wait till a guy had 5-7 steps in his direction before he reacted to him.

This is a trade not free agency.

We are days before free agency Tim
        You get the idea

I don’t mind that they’re targeting players they feel are a fit. I need to see more of Maxwell but Alonso could be great for us. He’s already the most talented LB on the team and he’ll be just 26 this season.

Any information on the trade comp yet?

Sounds to me the compensation is trading picks in some early to mid rounds, not losing a pick.
    Miami is @ #8 & Philly is #13.

Best case scenario is we fill a vet MLB & CB/DB need, and still have our picks as if we traded down.
    I don’t want to lose picks this year. Lots of talent in most of the first 5-6 rounds.

• Al in MIA says:

Agree.
      Picks will be a swapped somewhere for sure but Philly is motivated to move their players more than the Dolphins are to acquire them. In consideration of the cap space Miami has to eat with Maxwell (its always a negative for a team to eat cap space in terms of leveling a deal off so the team eating it has to be compensated with something else), and also the injury profile of Kiko Alonso (injured in 2014 and 2015) the Dolphins probably shouldn’t have to give up much on the draft pick compensation side. Kiko is a great player himself and is worth a 2nd RDer at minimum without his injury risk so I assume the deal was probably always centered around Kiko first and Maxwell second with some performance goals set for Kiko if the Eagles wanted a good draft pick in return. Fins offset the risk somewhat by talking a pick in different rounds swap as a means to eat Maxwell i guess.

Im really hoping its conditional picks but if Schefter is reporting that its to increase their position it does sound like its more a swap of picks. Id be ok dropping back a few points in maybe the second round or so, i really dont want to do much as far as trading back in the first or sacrificing picks 5th or higher.

Reposting:
    Ken says:
    March 7, 2016 at 5:14 pm (Edit)
    Not crazy about the trade. That’s a big contract on Maxwell and Alonzo has a history of injuries. Do they a fit a need? Yes. I would just rather build thru the draft than this constant patchwork of trades and high priced FAs that seem to get us nowhere

LMAO @ the lady(Tbomb) with the shopping cart & Ross’s money to spend.

Ken, they are reworking Maxwells contract right now, by way of extension they made it sound like. Its probably not going to be as big a hit as it was previously.

He is still not going to come cheap

Probably cheaper than Grimes. I wouldnt be surprised if he comes in under the cap hit for Grimes, somewhere 7-8mil per range, maybe lower.

Then in the next year or 2 it will be a bigger hit. I am sure he is not giving money back. That said I like Maxwell and think he is a good CB

Uh Oh…..Philly has no 2nd round picks, but two 3rd rounds.
    one 4th, two 5th rounds, one 6th, & two 7th round picks.

10. jetsssuck says:

Al:
    different cultures which some may consider different of what we eat also. We don’t eat monkey brains but certain cultures consider it a exotic meal. I’ve eaten buffalo and snake. There’s a Chinese grocery store in Davie off of stirling road where they have every imaginable seafood and they will prepare cut up live stuff for you. Well I took my Grandkidws to shop there to show them live snakes prepared for customers. Th3ey were shocked when the meat cutter cut up the live snake. Me and the wife didn’t have to share any of the snake that night.

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 32m32 minutes ago
    Byron Maxwell cap hit this year will be $8.5M. Numbers 2017-19 go to $10M. That’s where issue is. Not ’16.

Ken, Maxwell can be cut next year with no dead money ramifications.

If they are restructuring/extending him though Tim we wont know how they are moving the money around, he may be getting more guaranteed in this extension to get his yearly hit down.

My feeling on Maxwell is that he is not an improvement on what Grimes was but he is an improvement on what Grimes now is.

Bigger and younger as well.

I dont think he was meant to be our primary cover guy, see below. I think he definately fits what we are going to do better than Grimes, so in a way he is a improvement. Its kinda comparing apples to oranges though.

• Brian in NY says:

We get rid of Miko as well. I dont’ care what is said, she can’t have helped his chances of staying here. She’s a total embarassment.

Physicality of Maxwell is pretty impressive. He’s had 10+ PD’s every year for past 3 years, and his tackle numbers were pretty impressive this year. 65 tackles for a CB is pretty impressive so, im not sure he becomes our primary cover guy, but i think he is the guy they plan putting opposite a cover guy. I think we still in play for Hargreaves at 8. Pacman is almost the exact same player statistically, Maxwell is just 4 years younger.

We wanted to get bigger at corner and no guarantee Lippett pans out just yet.

I’m more excited abut the potential of Alonso.

I’m not sue you “rework” that Maxwell contract
    he has a cap hit of 8.5M in 2016
    and (gulp) 10M for the next 3 years after 2016

However I think the dead cap money in 2017 is 0

So maybe you pay him less in 2016
    and take a bigger cap hit in 2017
    I don’t know

but right now it looks like we are airing a player for 2016 and nothing after that
    I’m not gonna pay that caliber player 10M…WTF

D:
    Maxwell is definitely a different type of CB than Grimes but right he is our #1 CB

That left knee is concerning for Alonso. He partially tore the ACL this past season that he completely tore two years ago. Sugarcoat that all you want, that’s not a good sign.

I’m okay with this trade as long as we don’t give up any significant draft picks.

Miko was gutter trash, no doubt, and embarrassment, but i still dont think it played into keeping him or cutting him. 6.5million reasons to cut him, and not a lot of production arguing against it.

Need to wait to see both the details of Maxwell’s restructure/extension and the trade details to know whether this was good or not. I think the players fit needs, i think they are pretty decent players, so just have to see what we had to give up to get them.

If Alonzo has anything close to the year he had with the Bills we will be building a shrine to TBaum for this deal with or without Maxwell doing anything lol, seriously that was a sick friggin year he had there.

I don’t think we can nitpick every dollar with the cap. It’s about acquiring talent, not matching up cap numbers perfectly.

Enter Omar tearing it down because it means his lovers husband is gone….
    I watched Kiko Alonso’s film when Dolphins were set to play Miami back in November and he was a step slow, not impactful (4 tackles in game)
    — Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly)

Alright time to get some dinner. BBL. PC

Omar is complaining that Gase is roster purging, when really he hasnt. He’s been trying to restructure players, but they are refusing. Roster purging is coming in and going ok old regime guys get the fuck out its time for me to bring in my people. He easily could have cut Misi if he already had plans of trading for Alonzo.

I tell ya what if i knew it would get Omar to move on, cutting Grimes so he and his wife would go to another team and Omar would follow i would have cut him as soon as i had confirmation it would work out that way.

Releasing Brent Grimes & replacing him with Kiko Alonso & Byron Maxwell means Miami lost $3M in cap space today without reworking deals.
    — Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly)
    ———————————–
    LOL man he is so fucking butt hurt….. he is trying his best to shit all over this trade, more he hates it more i like it.

We were 6-10, to keep everything status quo doesn’t make much sense.

Catch you folks later.

Miami is expected to release cornerback Brent Grimes, per the South Florida Sun Sentinel’s Omar Kelly, and is considering removing the transition tag from defensive end Olivier Vernon, per Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole:

That last part confuses me, i thought he already signed the tag, if so they cant just pull it back.

Wow nice, Osweiler looks like a real great guy, and he looked fucking drunk as shit.

I don’t see any issues on that video
      some girl has a really annoying voice and is near the mic

everyone else is sort of looking around

Ken says:
    March 7, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Alright time to get some dinner. BBL. PC

when did hulk become a senior citizen

so you guys are the football guru’s. who are these two the fins are trading for? ignoring what the fins give up, just asking if they are good players?

• Brian in NY says:

They can be, but they are being traded for a reason. Alonso had a stellar rookie season with the Bills, blew out his ACL the next season, was traded to the Eagles for McCoy during that offseason, partially tore the same ACL this past season and sat out 5 games to start the season. Maxwell signed a monster FA contract a few weeks ago and has been inconsistent.

D

got to agree with piggy there. i didnt see a thing wrong with that video other then fools trying to sensationalize something that wasnt there. that idiot chick with the black hair was the cause of it all. but that is what the news has come to in this country, not facts or anything of the sort just how can they twist things to sensationalize it the most.

i will say however the comments were pretty damn funny.

lmao @ the idiot talk show sports guys in tampa. they were saying today how they would not compare miller to martin. saying not even close that they are not comparable. that martin is head and shoulders better then miller. that martin had been to two pro bowls and miller none.

PLAYER TEAM ATT YDS YDS/A LONG TD
    Doug Martin, RB 288 1,402 4.9 84 6
    Lamar Miller, RB 194 872 4.5 85 8

yep you idiots those stats are so far off. but go ahead and want to bucs to pay their pro bowl rb.

how to hire a sports journalist

newspaper: so when did you start following football.
    journalist: well i was 12 and this big kid took my football and threw it down the block so i followed it then. does that count?
    newspaper: have you ever watched / recorded a game on tv then done an analysis of the game?
    journalist: THEY TELEVISE THAT SHIT???????????
    newspaper: your hired.

I mentioned yesterday, that I didn’t think Mando’s $14.4M under the cap was correct. Today it’s reported that we’re $19,419,619 under, after today’s trade. They already have Grimes listed as cut.

I didn’t think Mando was accurate either. Besides, it’s still i n flux, and will be for another 2-4 weeks.

But we seem to be sitting pretty right now with almost $20M in cap space, have at least on paper closed some gaps on D. We could be clearing another $12.7 with OV soon, but that would create another hole.

Doug Farrar ‎@SI_DougFarrar
    Last week, I said on the radio: “I think everyone’s learned from the Byron Maxwell example.” Which proves, as always, that I know NOTHING.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Eagles are “finalizing” a trade that will send DeMarco Murray to the Titans when the NFL’s new league year opens on Wednesday afternoon.
    NFL observers should be impressed with Eagles GM Howie Roseman, who in a matter of a few days will be unloading a big chunk of dead salary, and three players who were almost entirely ineffective in 2015. Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell are also headed out the door. Murray averaged 3.64 yards per carry last season, and his legs have appeared dead since the end of the 2014 campaign in Dallas, where Murray amassed nearly 500 all-purpose touches.

I think he’s giving up on guys that didn’t perform last yr up to expectation too soon. Why get rid of Alonzo on a $1M salary? Murray looked good to me what I saw of him. I think they didn’t use him properly.

Good point. We Phin fans know all to well about not using some players properly, or severely flawed systems. Remember too that Lazor came fresh from under Chip Kelly….smh

WTF!!!????? what the hell?

Steve, we’re not really kicking the tires on Maxwell, we targeted him and traded for him.

Hey, this is Vance Joseph’s time to shine. He musta have had input on him as well.

Maybe, but I’d bet the Eagles came to us. The definition of kicking the tires is not locking yourself into a multi yr deal, as even you said above, he can be cut next yr without any dead money. Sure the salary is high, but we’re just replacing the Grimes money with Maxwell money and adding a couple of Mil.

Seems we’re learning from our past mistakes, as no one on here has declared us SB Champs yet after today’s trade 😛

Tim, do you have some evidence that we targeted Maxwell?

Uhhh… we traded for him and are willing to pay him.

That doesn’t mean we targeted him, it just means they think it’s worth the risk for one yr. Most likely we didn’t trade much for him, taking on his salary was enough for the Eagles to part ways (most likely).

March 7, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Uhhh… we traded for him and are willing to pay him.

tim,

yeah but how do you know they werent trying to help out the cheerleaders and they were trading for waxwell and it is just a typo that got them a player.

In Peyton’s retirement speech he named several players and coaches, but I only heard one full name Adam Gase. Telling?

Tim, the Eagles targeted Maxwell last yr, and gave him a multi yr contract, see the difference? The Eagles took a $4.8M cap hit/dead money on Maxwell.

my guess is it will be our 3rd & 6th round picks with their 5th round pick coming back.

They do have two 5th round picks.
      I’m more hoping for pick sways as I mentioned earlier. The Eagles clearly wanted to move these guys and now others off their books for the new HC.

Colts re-signed TE Dwayne Allen to a four-year, $29.4 million contract.
    Things took a 180-degree turn for Allen in Indianapolis. After the season ended, Allen seemed destined to get out of town with the Colts failing to use him whatsoever in the pass game last season, as he reeled in just 16 passes on a mere 26 targets. But the Colts really value Allen for his all-around game as a strong blocker at the point of attack and big red-zone presence. It remains to be seen if the Colts will also pony up to keep free agent Coby Fleener, but conventional wisdom suggests they’ll move on. If Fleener is out of the picture, Allen will have a chance to really boost his offensive game in 2016 with a healthy Andrew Luck. Allen, of course, needs to stay healthy himself after missing 21 games the past three years.

You gotta like getting rid of Grimes, he struggled with the big WRs in our division in 2015.

Here’s some intel on Maxwell’s season. For most of the season he was really good based on the numbers they cite from game 3 to 13. He had a few bad games. That’s what everyone remembers. Whoa… he got beat by Julio Jones? LOL

cant wait two years for brady to retire just to hear/read

“I’ll miss putting in a play with Bill and how we knew from taping the other team that ends in a touchdown on Sunday. On Fridays I’ll miss deflating the game balls with my equipment guys.”

51. dbolt48 says:

LOL. So we essentially upgraded w/ youth at CB, if healthy upgraded LB talent, and best of all got rid of Grimes….you won’t hear much complaining from me. I agree with D, if Alonso gets back to his rookie form this could be huge.

Steve, I guess we have a different opinion of what target means. LOL

Maxwell just turned 28 in Feb, so we get a lil younger there & he’s 6’1 207. Hey wouldn’t it be funny if we converted him to FS 😉
    But with Grimes gone, I don’t see that just yet.

Alonso 25yo was a top 46 overall draft pick in 2013. If he can stay healthy then we could have a solid starter possibly playing inside @ 6’3 238, or he could move to WILL.

Both of these cats have played just one full season, which says more about Maxwell as he’s been in the NFL 2 more years than Kiko.

We’ll likely draft another LB fairly early & a DB somewhere along with the 2md & 3rd year guys we have competing.
    I see the strategy developing, and it’s not overly aggressive at all, unlike the Suhnami last year.

Meant to say so far I’m behind it if these guys check out medically & ONCE WE FIND OUT WHAT THE PICKS COMPENSATION IS> That’s the big part for me!

Ummmmmmmmm isn’t that two players vs one…………

getterdone says:
    March 7, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Both of these cats have played just one full season

lol. ‘cats’ who are you mf13.

56. dbolt48 says:

Glad some other team gets to watch this & then deal with Miko blaming someone else for Brent being a bitch:

@PhinsScout_NFL: Was done with Grimes when he started making business decisions instead of making plays. https://t.co/8HlNYzEOvG

getter,

btw, that was obviously a joke. just never heard you say ‘cats’ before and mf13 did all the time. wasnt making fun of either of you two.

Yes, LOL Tim! I can’t wait to read what your definition of targeting is.

I’m not getting this at all. If you trade for a player and take on a heavy contract aren’t you targeting him? It’s not like we were forced to do it. LOL

No. Targeting means you called the other team and asked about the player. We don’t know what happened, you can’t just assume we called the Eagles, and with them dumping Murray it makes more sense they initiated the phone call.

The other reason I think the Eagles initiated is, because of the trade comp. seems likes its going to be closer to them dumping the salaries, which another report someone posted basically said that.

When you call the other team to inquire about trading someone the other team gets the better of the comp. Seems kind of odd that we’d call them to make this trade, as if we knew they wanted to get rid of them. Maybe there were rumors these guys were on the trade blocks, I don’t know.

59. drg says:

I hate this time of the year. Dolphins just have to be offseason champs every year.

• dbolt48 says:

This isn’t close to an off-season champ move.

This is actually what retooling looks like, not rebuilding the foundation. That’s not changing this year.

I view trades, FA and the draft as all apart of acquiring talent. We were 6-10, not changing anything would be considered strange.

If Maxwell and Alonso start and play well it was a win. Remember it’s a trade, not a FA spending spree.

• dbolt48 says:

This is more off season champ mode which we have seen in the past w/ Mia:

@uSTADIUM: #Raiders called the agents for CB Sean Smith, OL Kelechi Osemele, RB Chris Ivory & DT Malik Jackson today. Let them know they’re interested.

drg says:
    March 7, 2016 at 9:10 pm

dont know about that. i think last year was the only year they played that role. i have never heard of these guys and i guess it all depends on what they gave up for them but i wouldnt say they are doing anything to be off-season champs at least i hope not

61. drg says:

If we gave up anything beyond a sixth rounder I will hate this trade. We did Philly a huge favor taking a bad contract over. Alonso is the only silver lining and he’s far from a certainty given his ACL injuries.

My comment is more based on what I assume is coming considering the past few years. I’d prefer we take our chances with young, unproven talent and get the books right first. We keep prolonging the cap hell by kicking it forward and have a roster with few leaders. Also have an unproven coaching staff. Hate to be so negative, but I don’t feel confident about our chances.

The more I think about this trade the better I like it. Now if we give up something like a 3rd (about 220 pts from the draft value chart). What I’ve read so far we’re going to exchange some picks, so we’ll have to use the value chart to determine what we’re really giving up.

I expect Maxwell to play at least as well as I’d expect Grimes to play this yr, with the difference being Maxwell still has several yrs left, while Grimes is winding it down. Alonso can’t be any worse than we saw last yr, and his ceiling is what he did his rookie yr, so we get to kick the tires on Alonso for about $3M ($3M from Grimes dead money, less $1M savings on the cap Maxwell vs Grimes + Alonso’s $1m salary). I think Maxwell may have been a throw in to get Alonso.

We shouldn’t target guys like Osemele in FA, we need to get bargain guys later on. It would be ok to use another $10M in carry over money to next season. Save your money and sign your own, or trade for guys at a bargain salary. I don’t consider Maxwell a bargain, but unlike in FA a one yr out option is better than signing a guy to a huge contract with $25M in bonus money. Maybe this is the way we do business in the future.

63. drg says:

FFR, Suh, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Wallace to name a few. There’s almost always a reason other teams are willing to trade or let guys walk. I’d just assume we stay out if it and shop for bargains later in the FA process.

SOMEWHAT BURIED IN TODAY’S NFL NEWS IS THE FACT THAT THE NFL will allow the soon to be built new stadium in the L.A. suburb of Inglewood to bid for the next round of Super Bowls (2019,2020 & 2021). –This, most definitely, is NOT good news for Steve Ross. Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay and the new stadium southern California will all be bidding for the right to hold a Super Bowl. I SAY the $2 Billion facility in Inglewood is a virtual lock to get one of them. –Then there’s the new stadium in ATLANTA which, i believe, will get one of the three games. –This leaves Tampa Bay, New Orleans and Miami in the competition for the third and last Super Bowl currently up for bids. My guess is that Miami will, indeed get that third and final Super Bowl, BUT IT’s CERTAINLY NOT A LOCK!!! Tampa Bay will be making some significant improvements to their stadium. So will New Orleans (whose facility is ONLY available for SB LIII, due to prior date commitments. BEFORE Ross’s current upgrades began, Sun Baked Stadium had about 10,000 MORE SEATS than does Raymond James Stadium in Tampa. –But Ross, in his infinite wisdom, REMOVED OVER 11,000 seats from his stadium, making Sun Baked THE SMALLEST of the 3 stadiums fighting over the 3rd and last Super Bowl to be awarded in the current round of bidding. —–I WILL LAUGH MY ASS OFF if “Little Stevie Blunder” gets snubbed FOR THE SECOND TIME in his mad pursuit of hosting a Super Bowl!!! —-Somewhere, Mike Dee and Bill Parcells are smiling!!

Kind of agree with DRG. I just want us to build a team thru the draft than trying to make big splashy moves in the off season. This kind of has that feel to it once again.

By doing it that way you get bargain depth guys and role player starters instead of one Suh for 1/4 of the cap.

Steelers, Packers, Pats all build thru the draft. Not sure why we don’t. What has Suh ever won?

We are doing that. 20 players still on the team not counting Miller, OV and Matthews etc. since 2010. We need to have a good draft to really change things.

• drg says:

Then keep the books clean so you can retain the guys that deserve it and prove they work hard. We keep overpaying FAs or trading for guys assuming they will be leaders and play to the level of their contracts without really knowing who they are.

We have to make some changes and remember Alonso had that great rookie season as a MLB in the classic 4-3 defense.

That was 2 knee injuries ago

KEN: BASED on T-BAUM’s record of success over the last 3 years, I don’t know HOW you couldn’t be doing back flips over this deal!!! It’s a guaranteed winner!!

But he’s young, and it’s not like he’s expensive. I’d much rather take a chance on this type of player than someone through FA with a huge signing bonus and possible dead money down the road.

If this deal doesn’t work out for us, we cut our ties next yr, and we’re out the draft comp.

The reason we haven’t done this in the past is, because Ross was desperate for a playoff team (quick expensive fix).

Yeah but I don’t worry about him after playing the last 9 games and playing better late as opposed to being hurt late and nobody knows his status at this time. It’s the same deal with Albert who played 14 games last year. Can they string a few seasons together healthy at a high level?

Do we know the compensation we gave up yet?

I still think we need to draft LB and CB if possible in the draft

Absolutely, don’t expect these 2 injured players to be the end all of our needs at those positions.

Wallace cut by Vikings. LOL

DRG

I’m thinking both players will be gone in 2017

I hope we didn’t give up any high picks
    That is critical in my judgment in the trade

But if we end up replacing grimes with maxwell
    And picked up a LB with experience under his belt
    Well we won’t be desperate for CB or LB in the draft

I don’t think picking up vets from a year necessarily takes you out of buildings my through the draft

We need talent on our defense
    And I think the best way to do that is through the draft

I don’t see any of these guys as sure fire starters
    But we can draft young players and not throw them into the fire

I still think CB, S, LB and DE are very much on our radar even after the trade – provided we have the picks to acquire them

70. drg says:

Steve,

We are paying Maxwell top 10 CB money to retain him. Could be wrong, but I assume he will be on the books for 10 million/year beyond 2016. I don’t think he’s good enough to warrant that money. Bad strategy, IMO. If they rework the deal they’ll just end up handcuffing themselves with more guaranteed $ down the road.

We were paying grimes big $ too
      It’s basically a swap out and we take a 3m cap hit

I think it means nothing to our offseason
      It’s not good
      It’s not bad

It could go either way I guess

But there is only one road for us to take to become a contender

DRAFT BETTER

There no substitute for that

Wow, some of you have such a negative view right off the bat and make grand predictions. What’s the point then? LOL

72. uwantwat says:

GDP… sorry I took so long to reply but had visitors. Muslims here are getting worse by the month. They seem to think our laws don’t apply to them and our women are fair game to be raped. Their view is because they don’t wear headscarves or burkas they are whores and sluts. Several have been arrested and charged under the terrorist act and they start crying then. Of course, you get the do-gooders trying to defend them but it is wearing thin. Personally, I will never understand why they sail past a Muslim country, Indonesia to come here to a Christian country. As far as I’m concerned they should take their smelly stinking arses and Jihad and be deported like yesterday. I just can’t believe the mistake E. Merkel in Germany and the French President made in allowing them into their countries. One reaps what one sows!

drg, FA hasn’t started yet. LOL

74. drg says:

Pig,

Yeah, I’m not that upset about the trade unless we gave up a lot of draft value or we compound Maxwell’s horrible contract by spreading out guaranteed $. Could have put up with Miko one more year for 2.5 million less, but if Alonso ends up starting and gives us good production it’s a worthwhile move. I don’t see him being 100% after two ACL injuries though…

Maxwell right now is probably an upgrade over Grimes. Grimes was not the same player he was the 2 previous seasons. Maxwell is a very physical CB and match up well with physical WRs

I don’t think this changes the draft much at all. One pick isn’t going to throw everything off. This draft is still deep in defense into the 4th round and there will be OL, gotta find them.

Alonso’s 2nd knee injury was a sprain with a slight tear, was out 5 weeks. Not saying this can’t be a problem moving forward, but he did play the last 9 games last season finishing up well with 17 tackles the last 2 games. So as of now he’s not injured.

I need to shed some light you dark SOB’s. LOL

75. drg says:

Tim, lol, you are right. Last few years have me fearing the worst. Sorry I’m such a downer.

I guess there are 2 big questions

1 what dos we give up?
    2 did we hurt our chances to address other positions (particularly OL) by taking the extra cap hit?

I not get psyched about either player
    But I don’t know that it hurts us building through the draft either

Might be a safety net kinda move

77. drg says:

Pig,

Draft better and fill the locker room with better leaders and less egos. Seems like we have had a lot of entitled personalities that blame others before looking in the mirror. More importantly we had little direction from the coaching staff. Hopefully Gase can change that. He’s pretty much a total unknown as HC, but seems to be very well liked by ex players.

78. drg says:

Ken, he might be an upgrade, but probably could say that about several DBs that are available for much less $ and no draft pick compensation necessary.

I hear you and in general I am not a huge fan of the move but I do like Maxwell at CB. He is a big physical presence but I don’t like his contract.

I’m the same way, I’m not like yeah! But I’m not going to knock it until I see it didn’t pan out. We have a new regime, we were 6-10. Retain everyone and draft? Why do that?

79. drg says:

Good to talk to you guys. I’ll quit being such a whiner next time, lol. Hope you are all doing well.

We are all whining a little on this one

Lot of unknowns at this time

Once we know the draft compensation we will have a better basis to judge the move on

I picture Piggy pacing about by his city apt. windows waiting to throw a shoe out of one of them. LOL

DRG says “Last few years have me fearing the worst.” Well, man, just because Ross has us mired in the LONGEST NON-WINNING SEASON STREAK IN FRANCHISE HISTORY doesn’t mean we can’t win a Super Bowl THIS SEASON!! Remember this: a bad owner who picks bad GM’s and bad advisors can STILL WIN A SUPER BOWL!! –IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!
    —————
    ALL RIGHT! Which one of you smart asses stole my Colorado Kool-Aid??? – – GOOD NIGHT all you KOOL-AID DRINKERS!!

We made a trade, still have FA and the draft. Why are we panicking?

By the way, this trade doesn’t go down until physicals are cleared.

More cuts are coming.

If we get an Alonso that is who he is, we have a LB with range and playmaking ability. If he’s banged up then we lose.

He’s good in coverage

He’s a free agent in 2017
      I don’t think he’s a long term solution

I think it all depends on his 2016 season. Maxwell may be gone and Alonso is the re-sign. It won’t likely be both unless we never upgraded the secondary with younger players still on 1-3 year rookie deals. That’s really the key.

I still think we draft LBs.

83. uwantwat says:

Time to move on from Mr. Miko, he has definitely lost his speed. Got beaten way too often for my liking last year. A fully fit and charged up Kiko will be awesome.

I think we’re judging this trade by looking at the individual players, but I think you take the big contract of Maxwell with the bargain contract of Alonso and we got a good deal overall, they got a big contract off their books, sort of (dead money). What we got is 2 starters for $12.5M instead of one for $9.5.

We couldn’t have gotten a starter the caliber of Alonso for $3M, so this trade is a bargain for 2016. Of course it all depends on what the comp is and what the players actually do, but you really don’t know how FAs will respond either, so…

We still need to draft a CB in rds one or two, as insurance for Maxwell not panning out, and we should also draft an LB, but neither position are as desperate now.

• dbolt48 says:

Agreed. Once again this isn’t a splashy trade or even close to it. We filled 2 roster spots at a supposedly minimal cost along with getting rud of Grimes. For what it’s worth Ian Wharton who does a shit ton of film study thinks Maxwell will probably excel going back to the zone scheme like he played in Sea. It’s not eating all of your cap space & you got 2 probable starters if healthy. Still allows for BPA approach in the draft.

85. uwantwat says:

I would take Rashad Robinson CB in the 3rd, I think I read where he is 6’4″ and has been had some problems but over them now. #8 I’m still undecided on, either OL or DE or LB. Probably we go CB anyway. Just no more midgets, injured or reaches please.

6’2, but there big question with him is how good he is after not playing for a while. He hasn’t been on the field since like end of the year 2013. He shows up well on film so when he played he was a standout, you just have to hope you can get him back to that level and his head is screwed in right this time.

• dbolt48 says:

You do have to worry a little also about his weight. At 6’1″ he only weighs 171Lbs. Physically you have to worry about WRs getting into his chest.

He is also pretty thinly built in not sure he is the type of CB we want for our new system nectar he is more or coverage and we are looking for press/zone guys. Aggressive at the line good instincts and closing speed.

86. dbolt48 says:

@NFLFilmStudy: Bump from Maxwell’s last year in Seattle. He’d be a massive upgrade for Miami with these numbers

Maxwell isn’t intended to be our no 1 CB. He was used that way in Philly and it didn’t work out. They said they are working on his contract so I expect it to be adjusted to lower it and I think he goes back to the role he played in Seattle. If so he likely is a really good pickup for us and we still likely get a better cover guy in the draft.

Pairing Maxwell with a guy like Hargreaves would be a sick tandem.

• dbolt48 says:

At least after 4yrs you’d have Maxwell coming off his contract in time when Hargraves would be getting his big deal off his rookie contract. Staggered approach works best for teams.

Dbolt I was replying at same time as you about that rashard Robinson kid. Was adding pretty much same thing as you.

Maxwell’s numbers actually don’t look bad for last year if you consider him for what’s he is not what they were using him as. I def don’t think he deserves a lockdown corners contract but he obviously it is a solid CB, his PDs are great manuring the guy is there around the ball and aggressively defends the pass. He also can handle run support which isn’t hopefully something we need him to do but it’s something knowing we got a guy who can handle it, is a good thing.

90. dbolt48 says:

LOL

@HimmelrichNFL: Ummmmmmmm https://t.co/55Sl5h7qZo

Hard to get too excited or too angry until we find out what we gave up to get Maxwell and Alonso. I like Maxwell over Grimes, and I know I’ll take a healthy Alonso over any of our LB’s, but whether he’s healthy or not, or can stay healthy remains to be seen. So far at face value, I’m OK with the players, just hope we didn’t give up too much.

Like DRG says though, it’s really time to build through the draft. As long as the compensation isn’t steep, we can still do that though, and now we have a little more flexibility too.

• dbolt48 says:

No matter what you still have to acquire talent in FA w/ the cap rules. We just don’t need the flash spending on 2 players, they need to redistribute that cash on solid scheme fit players & as you said hit on draft picks to develop behind the solid vets.

92. dbolt48 says:

@ArmandoSalguero: The Miami Dolphins have restructured the contract for TE Jordan Cameron per source. Guarantees he stays in Miami.

That’s fine. He needs to perform a lot better this year.

• dbolt48 says:

Agreed, but so much is dependent on the OL & a competent gameplan. So many times last year he looked like he had no clue what he was doing route wise. The question is, was that on him or poor coaching?

Maybe Gase will get the TE more involved. TEs have been productive in his offenses.

D-Bolt

Sure you have to spend in FA, but we can’t spend the most, or even close. We need to fill depth with FA, and get our starters at most positions from the draft. That’s how you build winners.

We have 20 draft picks since 2010 on our roster with a few more as UDFAs so we are made up of quite a few draft picks. This draft will be very important as they always are. 🙂

• dbolt48 says:

Exactly what I was saying. You don’t load up and spend most of your cap on a Sean Smith and Osemelle. You go with solid competent FAs who are good but won’t break the bank and build a more balanced roster. The move yesterday is an example of doing something like that.

The Philly trade is really a retool, it doesn’t change FA or the draft for us. But we added two projected starters.

• dbolt48 says:

Yep for essentially what it would’ve cost to have Grimes on the roster. 2 for 1 salary wise.

We’ve done better in the draft as of late. Parker, Phillips, McCain, Ajayi, James, Landry, Jenkins Sims, Vernon, Miller . . .

Mike i think you gotta look at building through the draft as a long term goal. Teams that arent there yet, cant build from the draft. You need a solid base because if you try to build from the draft with it being hit an miss, it will take many years, with many successful drafts, before you get anywhere and by the time you finally do, then you are rotating people out the door and it becomes a never ending cycle. It would probably take minimum 5-6 years to get a productive team and before that time everyone is calling for replacing the coach and then you rinse wash repeat.

We have so many holes we are almost forced to patch up some via FA, so we have a base to build off of and give time for successful drafts to catch up and take over. Once you establish the strong base though thats when you roll over to continually building off drafts and keep a line of solid players behind your starters when one leaves you just rotate up the next guy and you trade off some surplus for additional picks and you wind up in a really good place and with a tam thats continually successful. Gase has to start with something though and he is trying right now to get that base, so if we do a little spending in FA it doesnt mean thats going to be an annual thing, it means we need to do some of that this year so we dont have to every year.

Bottom line is, if you want us to reach a competitive level quicker, we gotta get that base soon, this year helps Gase be able to be successful so im down for whatever moves they want to make to get that rolling.

I have heard rumors that the trade is going to be our 3rd and a 6th for one of their 5th’s in terms of compensation.

D

That’s true, but that also doesn’t mean you go out and spend the most on the top free agents either. That sets you back, and in essence, prevents you from building through the draft. You need to draft well, and pick and choose your FA acquisitions carefully, get good fits, w/o breaking the bank. Paying over $100M for Suh doesn’t help you accomplish that. With the state our team was in, that move made little sense

Sure it does Mike, you just secured the top player at his position, he’s a central cog to build around. He’s the main support beam on your defense. You do that if you have the means and opportunity. It would be like if Luke Keuchkley was avaialble right now…majority would be like pay the man we need him. Your disappointment in Suh makes you feel that way, and your disappointment in sure is misplaced. When he is back in a good scheme and being used well, you will feel different i promise you. Watt, Keuchkley, Patrick Peterson, etc, those guys you bring in if and when you can.

In hindsight you’re right but now we need to view it as we’re retooling our defense around Suh and with a new DC who knows what we’ll look like. At least there is an element of mystery that’s exciting. LOL

98. dbolt48 says:

@nashmax73: @ConchPhinsFan @Phinsbam30 Just look at her mentor, who claimed he once shot at a man…but missed. https://t.co/Eqe8pSkOK5

D

No way man, it 100% does NOT accomplish that. We’d be fine with Jordan Phillips and Earl Mitchell in the middle, we just need good players around them. Maybe if we didn’t have Suh last year, we would have addressed the O-line properly. It prohibits you from doing a lot of things man, you have to admit that. Fact is, we’re the only team right at the moment with a $100M DT. The Patriots, Steelers, Ravens don’t make that move, ever. They’re perennial playoff teams, we’re not. It’s just not the way to build a team.

There’s nothing wrong with having a great player, there’s something wrong acquiring him in FA, for a ridiculous contract.

Then FA should just be discontinued, because no team ever benefits from it….come on man…

DL was considered our biggest need last year we got the best one available, a type of guy you almost never get a chance at stealing from a team. I really dont see it as a fail, we didnt address the OL properly, but again they believe more in what they had than you did. YOU wouldnt have made the move, but many other teams executives would have done the exact things ours did. We had to battle with several teams for Suh and our offer was only slightly better than the others.

Suh also shouldnt be seen as what you do to help a new coach, he was more a desperation move by a team who was trying to salvage a failing coach, still he is definitely a guy you go after if you can and really we arent hurting cap wise, they were smart with how they structured things, it will work out, so just give it some time.

Mike, i think your belief is sound, but that statement isnt correct. FA is where Denver got its QB that we clamored for and who brought them back to winning tradition. FA is where the Jets turned their team around. Green bay with Reggie White was something that put that team over the top. There are plenty of examples of trades or FA moves that have turned franchises around or at least was the catalyst for starting a turnaround.

D

The teams that pay the most for whatever player in FA is rarely the team that does well. You have to pick up players in FA, the cap rule makes you do that, but maybe instead of Suh, you sign Nick Fairly, Dan Williams, or Darnell Dockett for a 10th of what you signed Suh for.

I think we need to move on from whether we should have or shouldn’t have signed Suh. It’s done.

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez 18m18 minutes ago
    Source tells @NFLonFOX that @MiamiDolphins restructured Jordan Cameron contract from $7.5M to $6M total for ’16 season. No extra years added

D – You’re not going to compare a DT to a QB though. QB is arguably the most important, followed by LT, DE, and CB. DT is like #5.

Blue chip DTs go top 5 much of the time in the draft.

The last 4 years it was #12 Danny Shelton (2015), #14 Aaron Donald (2104), and #13 Star Lotuleilei (2013), #11 Dontari Poe (2012). Marcel Darius was taken by the Bills at #3 in 2011.

I hope Alonso becomes what Grimes became after his surgery and left the falcons. He is in contract year.

106. dbolt48 says:

@Robi2184: Per @AdamSchefter #Dolphins look like the team to beat for Mario Williams. #Dolphins are negotiating with William to get a deal done.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

Ross likes to make a splash signing every year to sell some tickets. Mario is a flashier name than vernon.

He’s better than OV and Ross isn’t behind going after Mario.

• dbolt48 says:

The cost is relatively low vs OV. Williams left Miami Sunday because they wouldn’t offer him $10per, even though it was $5.5 million less than what OV is seeking. This is not a Splash this is trying to land a talented ver within reasonable parameters.

Wow! If this happens we’ll pull the tag from OV.

I doubt we cut grimes before the draft unless it makes financial sense. We may need grimes after all if we don’t draft a corner high.

Mike, I’m talking in history when there is a top DT in the draft. 2010 Suh #2. LOL

Meh, Aaron Donald is better than Suh. Star is a very good player too.

No he’s not. He’s a sack artist but not a great run defender. He’s more like Sapp. And Suh has also had sack totals close to Donald with 10 and 8.0 a couple of times.

Suh is better against the run than Donald
        Donald is a classic quick DT
        he made an impact last year
        and we sucked against the run last year

But Suh is a much better well rounded 4-3 DT than anyone in the league
        and before last year – he was regarded that way

Suh is the kind of player that makes everyone else better
        Unfortuantely everyone lese kinda sucks, except Wake who was injured but had those couple of great games right before the injury

You are judging too much from last year
        Suh is the best
        Trust the Pork….

tim,
    Mario is 32 ov is 25. I’d go with the younger guy. And no one knows whether ross was involved in the decision or not. not even you 🙂

Mario just turned 31 and OV is not even close to being in his class.

So you think Ross is driving FA? Come on! LOL

Mario is just a flat out much better talent than OV
      OV wasn’t good for us last year
      I am surprised how many people let him off the hook but blast Suh

before his injury Wake had 7 sacks in his last 3 games and was picking it up next to Suh
      after Vernon replaced him he had 5.5 sacks in 9 games

He had 7.5 sacks for the season
      and 29 over a 4 year career playing in every game since he was a rookie
      Vernon is basically a 7-8 sack guy

William s has been an elite DE in this league
      is he still?
      Probably not

But Dallas thought the same about Ware when they released him and he performed well for the Broncos

I think there are special talents at DE and Williams is one of those guys
      OV is not – he is just a solid DE that some one will overpay

If we went with youth I would rather draft a DE like Ogbah or Lawson in the 1st round

LOL @ trust the pork

Piggy

We’ll see if Suh is the best or not. If he’s so good as a run defender, why did we suck against the run? I know, he’ was triple and quadruple teamed, everyone else sucks, which takes us right back to the fact that there was no need to overpay for one good player. And there you have it. Trust the eyes! lol

Everyone who watched his tape said he wasn’t the issue. Did you not see him blowing up the backfield many times? There is a reason we’re all talking about LBs. Our DEs also struggled setting the edge against the run and OV was one of them.

I’m tired of it Tim. Yes, everyone else on the team sucks, which is why you don’t severely overpay for a DT.

here is nothing to wait and see about
      He HAS been the best

Donald was a rookie last year – you should wait and see for him, no?

Suh has produced
      Detroit was #1 against the run in 2014

When Detroit drafted Suh – they weren’t very good defensively
      He changed them before he left

Suh has already been dominant in this league
      you are just emphasizing the performance of the defense as a whole (or should I say “hole” lol) last year

Suh has been the best in the league
      he wasn’t last year

but don’t write him off based on one year around a mess of a team

the guy is still a special talent

If Williams is signed we pull the tag on OV and cut Wake.

Yeah, I agree. Then either Wake is willing to play for less here, or he goes somewhere else.

Williams is more a replacement for Wake than he would be considered a replacement for OV, but i think we can draft a guy with better upside than OV, so IMO Williams = Wake, but younger and more healthy, and draft pick = OV, younger and cheaper.

We’d still be thin at DE.

Mike, 4-3 DT’s make approximately the same as a 4-3 DE, and more than any other position on the defense. To say DT’s arent valuable goes against everything the league has been showing for past 5-10 years. DT are the anchor of your defense, EVERYTHING starts with them.

Go back further than that. DTs have been going early for decades.

Yeah but past 5-10 years people have been making their defenses around it. You have to think though it makes logical sense, since they are the mirror image of the most important part of an offense, the OL.

Didn’t say they weren’t valuable, but again, it’s QB, LT, DE, CB, DT, especially in today’s NFL. You compared picking up Suh to picking up Manning, and you can’t do that. Clearly you can’t.

QB, LT, DT-DE about on same level, CB. This is the way the NFL sees it Mike.

DT is ahead of CB and even with LT and Edge rushers. It depends on who’s the better talent that particular year. Only QB is #1 even if not the most talented prospect.

114. dbolt48 says:

@FinsInsider: Look for the Dolphins to sign Mario Williams at about $7-$8 million per year, which I mentioned a few days ago.

If they sign Williams for 9ish, which im kind of expecting, then he is a savings over Wake as far as full contract. We would eat about 600k in the swap though….whoooopie lol

Mike, our run defense sucked down the stretch of 2014 and Suh wasn’t enough to make up for the same group’s deficiencies in 2015.

You don’t like Suh’s contract and that’s fine, but trying to minimize Suh’s talent is pretty futile.

117. dbolt48 says:

@FinsInsider: Mario came to Miami looking for $10M. They offered $7-8M – thought he could pull in $10M from NYG because of income tax difference.

I think signing Williams is about parting ways with OV

Not necessarily Wake

Wake expressed interest in saying in Miami

Armando Salguero
    ‏@ArmandoSalguero
    Mike Florio saying Dolphins and Mario Williams trying to strike a deal today.

I think because of the interest he garnered and to get it done they have to be at least offering 9mil per with decent amounts of it fully guaranteed.

Mike see my list above, you are right on the first two, but DT and DE are on the same level now, and a lot believe that interior pass rush is WAY more important than edge these says. CB is the last place of that group. I also will say LB play has really become more important over past few years with the advent fo more athletic receiving TE’s and i would say its quickly closing in on being as important as CB, and i think S is even with if not more important than CB anymore.

If you were to start building a team from scratch, where do you start?

I do it ever franchise with Madden, DT. I then move to OL. Even QB can be a lot better behind the right OL and every defense is better when the interior of the pocket is getting crushed. Think of it this way, DE coming around the back side but the pocket in the front is open, easy to step away from the DE and let the OT’s ride them around behind you, but if the front of the pocket is being flattened, you have 0 throwing lanes, and your escape path is to the outside where a DE is just waiting for ya. No doubt for me, its DT.

121. dbolt48 says:

@JasonColeBR: #Dolphins nearing a deal with DE Mario Williams on a new deal. May be worth roughly $8M per year. May allow team to cut DE Cam Wake.

Anything less than 9 is a fucking beauty of a deal. Comes in way under Wake’s number and we even save money this year.

Do you guys remember when I wanted the Dolphins to aggressively pursue Mario Williams in free Agency in 2012

…good times

D, that’s the thing. No inside presence and the QB steps up in the pocket.

It’s not a matter of where would you start building a team. Would you say to yourself, first thing I’m going to do is find a great DT and pay him $100M? If the answer is NO, then you agree with me. If the answer is YES, you’re an idiot. 🙂

Sigh…. we’re past that part of the debate. I’m talking position.

Honestly, do you think we’d be so bad if we had Jordan Phillips and Earl Mitchell in the middle, and 2 other decent DT’s to rotate in?

I have to take a photo for my website this morning

Do you guys think I should show a little trotter to entice clients?

Maxwell & Alonso is kind of a lateral safety net move. We aren’t flush with a lot of draft picks & this keeps us from having to double down on those positions in the draft & yet we’ve added veteran talent as well. Both guys seem to be healthy right now, hell, many of the good draft picks aren’t!

Something to consider there! Also keeps the draft more on the BPA side, which is always the best way to draft!

Do you think this will work in my new firm website?
    It looks professional to me

Looks like its more likely now that Ravens take Stanley. Osmele just agreed in principal with Raiders on a contract.

Mike, do I think we’d be so bad if we had Jordan Phillips and Earl Mitchell in the middle, and 2 other decent DT’s to rotate in?

No not if we had better LB play. But I’d rather focus on what we’re actually doing rather than go back to the 2014 offseason a pretend we’re going to chance history. LOL

OK, I hear that. Point is, we need better LB play with or without Suh, and it’s easier to accomplish that without Suh’s monstrous contract

LOL!!! Sorry Ocifer, I was at the tree nursery, and there was no other place this tree would fit in my car.

Seems Omar just won Pettijohn award… well its dated 2015 so maybe its older, still looks like the thing was fucking printed off on his home deskjet printer, so im doubting the prestige of the award. Funny thing is i cant find anywhere online outside of his own admission of receiving it where it shows he wont the award.

Officer: Do you realize there is a huge tree stuck in your car?
    Woman: Yes!
    Officer: You can’t drive with that in there, it’s very dangerous.
    Woman: But there is a cat stuck in it, and a family of squirrels, and an owl living in it.
    Officer: That doesn’t really change things.

Peyton Manning, Calvin Johnson, Jared Allen, Charles Woodson, Marshawn Lynch …all retired this year. Pretty impressive list.

133. dbolt48 says:

LMAO at all the Miami fans bitching on Twitter that were not forking over the cash to keep Miller and OV😂

no I don’t think Ross is involved in all FA acquisitions but to think that he doesn’t have a say when they try to acquire big names is naive. You wanna tell me he didn’t ok the Suh signing? Or albert or wallace? its his money I’m sure they ran it by him. He may have even talked to Suh before he was signed.

You made it sound like he wants to make a splash so he called Tannenbaum which he has to do, because he’s in NYC building stuff, and said I was looking at a list of FAs and I think Mario Williams is the guy. Let’s make that happen. LOL

Lol @ Christopher street Tim

We did do outdoor location
    and it’s not far from Christopher street…lol

I just finished
    Can’t believe I had to wear pants for the photo

Video of the tree incident.

March 8, 2016 at 11:45 am
    I guess we know who will be the HOF class in 2021
    ————————————-
    Marshawn is the only questionable one in that list.

That would suck to not have at least signed one of our homegrown guys in either OV or my guy Millertime! smh

I havent expect he would…again, he has a lot of suitors he needs to do for himself and take the paycheck and its going to be bigger from another team.

Driver: Oh thank God orficer, you are juscht in time. I wasch driving down the uh road and thisch tree jumpped right out in frontuh of me and uh kischked my car. Now i canscht get the damnuh thing to leave me alone and uh he justch keepsch running right in front of my cahr and uh i cant schee schit. Can you please arrescht him or schomething, this is uh borderline harashc uh harasch-sch-ment!

If we lose Miller what’s your approach at RB? We’ve got Ajayi and Williams, I think we need some more speed.

Draft 1 with the extra 5th round pick we’re rumored to be getting from Philly.

Id draft a guy middle of the draf, maybe a Kenyan Drake, or if Kenneth Dixon drops, him, maybe Kelvin Taylor who is a decent receiving back and pass pro guy.

LMAO!!!!
    kendall goslee ‏@NoloveKendall 14h14 hours ago
    @iHeartMiko you look like a burnt toast with eyes and a mouth and fake tits. Your going to ruin your mans career and get left.. That is all

Kudos to Team Player Jordan Cameron!

I liked that one. And seems the market thought he was misused last year as well……no way he gets $6 mil given the stats last year otherwise.

Cut Grimes, restructure, Suh huge, trade with Philly for underperforming “names”, looking to bring in Mario Williams….seems same old in Davie no matter who is calling the shots.

They are intent on winning the off season. Hope this time we think they finally did come the fall.

Why keep the status quo, they haven’t won for years?

I’d like to be a team that keeps it’s own draft picks and establishes a core that stays…..but then you have to draft well to do that.

There are a list of backs, but what i have seen from Gase’s previous stops is he likes a receiving back who runs downhill as his primary and he likes a grinder as his secondary. Ajayi fits the downhill runner with receiving ability, question with him is durability. I would get a guy who pretty much reflects that same mold just so if we lose Ajayi we have a duplicate, losing a back who cant perform those tasks i think would hurt his offense. I might would pickup a grinder those, but heavy people moved in FA for a short term low money contract.

…I might would pickup a grinder as well though, a heavy people mover, kind of back, in FA for a short term low money contract….

I like having two backs with similar skill sets as well so you don’t have to change anything. I’d like the other back to have more speed than Ajayi though.

Stanger, we can’t sign everyone. OV is not worth what he’s looking for and Miller will likely price himself out of Miami. We already offered Miller $4-5M per and he wants more.

• dbolt48 says:

OV is looking for a deal with the FLOOR starting at $15.5 per season. Fuck that. Miller I would of liked to keep on board, but he’s going to get paid big on the open market & same with Matthews.

Never said we could sign them all, but some teams do better than others in doing the internal build. Agree OV is asking too for much though. Miller — maybe maybe not, but think his best value is to a team looking to contend. Shelf-life on backs is too short.

Most of our core good or bad was drafted.

• dbolt48 says:

The thing on the internal build is you need a consistent scheme to build around therefore a predicative of foresight to get deals done early in a players first contract instead waiting until their contract runs out. Unfortunately the regime hopping every 3yrs has killed what you seek.

Good point on the dbolt. Guess whoever said “success builds success” was right. And maybe teams like ours have to try to break through to that, even if the results of such attempts often end in crash and burn.

148. dbolt48 says:

Back wise in the draft…..I wouldn’t mind Alex Collins or Jonathan Williams.

Miller isn’t gone yet. He may well feel some offers out, but unless it’s a huge difference I think he stays home.

If we let Miller go
    and managed to bring in some one like Iloka via FA
    and had Wake and Williams

Would you guys draft Ezekial Elliot with our 1st rounder
    He is a special talent

How did we address the OL? I’m not a huge fan of going RB at #8 and still think we need more talent at DE, LB and CB.

If we spent pre-draft and FA on D
        we would probably have to address the OL in the draft as well

I’m not sure there are any great OGs early in the draft

So you could maybe land Stanley and move him inside for a year or something like that

but you can also look for OGs in the 2nd and 3rd round

Bears re-signed franchise player WR Alshon Jeffery to a one-year, $14.599 million contract.
    Signing the deal guarantees Jeffery’s $14.6 million salary, but the Bears are hopeful it eventually results in a long-term arrangement. Still only 26 years old.
    ______________________
    That’s INSANE!

152. dbolt48 says:

@NealDriscoll: My guess is by the end of tomorrow, Mario Williams and Alex Boone are Miami Dolphins

153. dbolt48 says:

Pig,
    I’d go Collins round 2 before Elliot in round 1. He reminds me of Egde & I like the fact you have a big body of work with him running out from power formations vs a ton out of the gun.

RB Marshall is very very intriguing, but his injury history is concerning. If it causes him to fall very far, then I’d take the cj=hance, since we already have Ajayi. For a big guy, the GA Bulldog is ‘wicked’ fast!

oops
    I forgot
    new blog up

Collins and Henry would be luxury picks, id love to have them but im afraid they will be too expensive id rather draft defense in the second. Tim if you are wanting Ajayi type runner but a little more speed, you want Drake, and on top of it he could handle return duties