Welcome to Ask Mike – 2016 Season Week 2

ASKMIKELogo

from Sonny

Q -Mike,

Is the chiffon robe growing a fro congruently with Kaep?

The two most telling stats year to year seem to always be scoring and turnovers, we’re behind on both right now.
One thing I harped on about Tannehill was the lack of 4th qtr scoring and although he has scored in both 4th qtrs so far it hasn’t translated to wins.
So, if we score more and get more turnovers consistently do we become a winning team?

Sonny

I think what I’ve finally realized is that there is no one formula for winning, in any sport, with any team. There are just too many variables in sports for the contrary to be the case. How many times have we talked about how you need to have a top QB, and then the Denver Broncos go on and win the Super Bowl with possibly the worst QB performance ever, both in the regular season and the SB game itself.

The important thing is to have enough people playing well to help you win. The first week, the defense was lights out, until they tired on that final fatal drive against the Seahawks. This past week, we were down 21-0 in a blink of an eye. I think what we need is a good effort from both units at the same time, dictate the terms of the game, take a lead, and make the other team adjust. That doesn’t happen here often enough, but that would help us on our way to winning our first game.

I really don’t think Tannehill is the problem, and if we get balance on offense, he may even be the answer. Cleveland isn’t New England, but we are in no position to take any team for granted. Isaiah Crowell runs hard, and they have a pretty solid O-line with Joe Thomas and Finsmob Unleashed favorite Joel Bitonio. They actually have a pretty good TE as well in Gary Barnidge, who BTW is thrilled Cameron left for the Dolphins in FA last year.

I’d like to see another good pass blocking job by our O-line, and a more sincere effort to run the ball with whomever we have available at RB, whether that means Foster, Ajayi and Drake, or Ajayi, Drake and Williams, or any combination of those. We need to impose our will on a team, and own the LOS. Defensively, just limit big plays, and make tackles. We can should beat the Browns, especially in our brand spanking new home Hard Rock Stadium.

I’m over Kaepernick, he’s been a disappointment since his star rose in SF, and now he’s JAG, except of course for his protest fame. Also, not a big fan of the “pig socks”, those piss me off!
____________________________________________________

from Tim

Q – Alrighty then! Is this the week where we play a complete game from beginning to end against a bad team in our home opener?

I sure hope so Tim, this is a team we should be able to compete with. I’ll take an ugly win, because we desperately need one, but I’d much prefer like you said, a complete game by both the offense and defense, and a decided victory. It’s time for that, opening up Hard Rock, in front of our home crowd, which should definitely be a sellout, and as much as a must win scenario as week 3 can possibly bring.

Hopefully, Devante Parker is healthy, and adds that extra threat and go to guy for Tannehill, Cameron builds on the solid game had last week against the Pats, the O-line gets a little nasty, and allows our RB’s to do their thing, and the defense starts tackling, including #41 Byron Maxwell. Time to put on your chin strap and play ball!
____________________________________________________

from Boulder

Q – Did the Patriots game change your mind as to whether or not this team can make the playoffs?

Actually, no, it hasn’t. It’s going to be harder now because we’re 0-2, but that in no way clinches us out of the playoffs. We do need to start winning some games, but that loss didn’t knock us out quite yet. Win this week against Cleveland is a good starting point, and then we take it one week at a time the rest of the way. Some good play can build confidence and some momentum for our team. If we play well and defeat the Browns at home, the team will feel better about themselves, and Adam Gase will have won his first game as a Head Coach. It will be a big win, but just a start.
____________________________________________________

from Top Secret

Q – Why will MIAMI completely destroy the Cleveland underwear stains ? thanks, TOP SECRET

We will completely destroy the Browns if We come out hot on offense, move the ball well on the ground and in the passing game, and then hold on defense. Do this a few possessions, and we have a nice lead going into the half, which is something that has yet to happen so far this season. As of this writing, it was just reported that rookie 1st RD pick WR Corey Coleman has broken his hand. That leaves the Browns quite thin at WR, leaving converted QB to WR Terrelle Pryor, Andrew Hawkins, Ricardo Louis and Rashard Higgins, so that helps your cause, and the Dolphins as well.

It’s time Top, we’re home, in our new house, and it’s time to assert our home field advantage NOW! We’ve played well enough to win both games, but came up short twice. This time it’s all us. We may not have to score 30 or more for this to be considered a blow out. I wouldn’t be surprised if we win by 20 or more, we must stop Isaiah Crowell and Gary Barnidge, probably their 2 best weapons. Enjoy the game, and thanks for the question!

And now for the babe of the week . . .

grace-slick

This entry was posted in Ask Mike, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

333 Responses to Welcome to Ask Mike – 2016 Season Week 2

The “new” Mrs. hand approved BOTW’s are MEH

The Chrome Nun?

Good to see you Top Secret,

Rock

I’m starting off slow, just like the Dolphins . . .

mike,
    thanks for answering my question. Last week (before the pats game) you said that this team seems to have a playoff caliber defense. I think the pats showed that they’re the same defense we’ve seen the last few years. Soft, can’t stop the run or put pressure on the QB. They are not anywhere close to a playoffs caliber defense. So I think playoffs is more like a wet dream than reality right now.

Lets hope they beat the browns.

I wasn’t aware that Ronnie Hillman was still out there before he signed with the Vikings. Wonder why we never signed him. Maybe Gase knows something we don’t? Looking at how many times the Pats have signed and resigned Blount and knowing we could have signed him whenever he was free just adds to my frustration.

I like Wyoming’s BOTW better

Nice job Mike E even if you have gone PG on the BOTW

If we don’t win this Sunday it will be an ugly season

Is that Grace Slick?

Great Job — and good to see the positive Ask Mike back in the house.

Sent my Q into the old address……but since it is game sensitive will throw it out anyhow.
    ———————-
    “Funny to ask coming into game 3, but is the Browns game a must win?

What the heck happens if we lose on Sunday?”

Like I said to Tim, it’s about as close to a must win as a week 3 game can be. Losing to CLE would be a crusher, much like the Mets losing to the Braves last night, as Cespedes hits what appeared to be the game winning HR, and then CF Ender Inciarte sprints and leaps over the wall, and the Braves win. Just brutal.

And thanks for the kind wishes on the last nite…..was out for the B-Day dinner. Chef Warren and fake-UKPhin (Dameon say hi)

The entire SS staff predicted a Miami victory. Uh oh . . . lol

Good job Mike! TOP asks a question but won’t post here. I gotta talk to that guy. I guess too many liberals here. LOL

For the record the last time the Phins made the playoffs was in 2008 and they started off 0-2. Just saying. 😉

Well, Top is a loyal soul, and I can understand why he wouldn’t post here, so I get that. I wish all the borders would be knocked down, and all the people from both sites could go back and forth, but you know for the most part that can’t happen.

Completely agree Mike, both on the idea that this is a must win, to your answers above. Now that im done stroking your ego….

Tim, this is in response to your comments from the last blog.

I saw your comments about the OL being the problem and still perplexed by why you are so beholden to not allow the focus of bad play to be put on certain groups, the QB, the WR’s the RB’s, but yet single out others as the problem. Our OL unit has played pretty well in both pass pro and run blocking, and there have been holes, when teams didnt send LB’s through them. You do realize Its impossible when LB’s are playing schemes anti-run and actually executing that you can run against them. You have to alter your game plan to get them out of it. For example, NE combats it with quick strikes to the receivers out of run formations causing the defense to adjust and play them tighter, keep the LB’s back and therefore opening a cushion to run. Seattle hits you underneath the safety zone after the LB’s have committed to the blitz.

You also fault all the pressure on the DL unit forgoing any of the really poor defensive scheming and CB play. Impossible to get pressure going through blockers as fast as you need to when your CB’s are playing zone, with no press component. QB’s like Wilson and Brady/Garopolo are quick throw, move the chains QB’s, and once they establish this they weave back and forth between a running game that exploits us haing to commit LB’s to defend passing, and zone exploiting pass routes one we have started biting on interior runs. This isnt the DL unit playing poorly, its the fact that the scheme itself is too soft to be able to force them out of their comfort zones. Once we started playing press-zone, our pressures, hits, and sacks started happening. Again, ive said it plenty of times, you cannot attack a team with a quick pass scheme, relying solely on pass rush, it just wont work. Because of the nature of the league these days, pass rush starts with coverage, not the other way around. Very few teams load up and go downfield as their priary passing method, but for those teams, its reversed, pass rush dictates coverage and interceptions. Again, very few run those offenses anymore.

Now you ask people back off the QB talk, you ask them to back off the Rb talk, but you should really take your own advice and look at this from a bigger perspective is, the RB’s havent played well, the CB’s havent played well, the LB’s havent played well… This teams sole failures are not OL and DL.

Simple answer is I believe trench play is where it all starts. The OL has stunk at run blocking all offseason and in game one they stunk at pass pro too. The DL got no pressure for most of the first half and if you go back to that video Al posted of all of Garoppolo’s passes you see the difference. We started to get to him and slow him down before he went down.

I also said the entire defense stunk in the 1st half and the entire team including the offense came out flat and looked sluggish.

I never asked anyone to back off anything in a literal way. Relax D. 😉

and back off the babe of the week too.

It’s probably kinda of a pain to post on both sites

I have a hard time keeping up on one

I don’t take anything personal in terms of who posts where

I only get mad when WY forgets to post cheerleader pics 😉

Sorry i re-read it and it was a lot more agressive than it was my intent to be, that and i hadnt had a snickers yet.

LOL, no worries.

Also #41 looked like he wasn’t interested in playing that day. Every time I see a highlight from the Pats game #41 looks disinterested in making a play. He had a really bad game.

D, in the Garoppolo passes video, I don’t think our defensive scheme was the problem. There was a ton of bad execution. Guys were in the right place but the Pats ran through, past and around us. They gotta clean some things up.

AH I finally get the themefor babe of the week now….

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…..”

Clever Mikey, very clever

If you close your eyes and listen to them sing, they’re beautiful

22. 81Howie says:

Afternoon Update
    DOLPHINS-BROWNS
    B’man 38-13 MIA
    Piggy 31-6 MIA
    N/A 31-21 MIA
    Howie 23-17 CLE
    Wyo 28-9 MIA
    Rock 24-3 CLE
    MikeE 26-10 MIA
    Al 23-16 MIA
    Old 27-10 MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

We’re 0-2. Nobody on this team should be exempt from scrutiny. Everyone deserves blame or criticism. This team does one thing consistently: lose. Until they change that, they deserve nothing but criticism and derision, as far as I’m concerned. Feel free to change my opinion…by winning.

What exactly is a “must win”? Are we talking playoff hopes? I never quite get that euphemism.

stanger,
    We may have passed that point already. Lol

26. Realist says:

Howie
    Realist 24 – 17 MIA

Randy

It means we have to win or else! Or else we’re 0-3! They will be bedlam in the streets, and we can’t have that

howie,
    21 – 9 miami

September 22, 2016 at 1:23 pm

In this case the beholder happens to be blind

LMAO!!!

Sure am glad I over-picked him the first round. Sam Bradford better be pretty darn amazing.
    ————————————–
    “Adrian Peterson had a successful lateral meniscus repair this morning,” the Vikings announced today. There were no additional injuries or issues noted in or surrounding the knee joint during the surgical procedure. The rehabilitation process will begin immediately.”

The Vikings have not said whether Peterson can play again this season, but reports are that Peterson will miss at least three months and likely longer than that, which makes a return in 2016 unlikely.

0-2 isn’t any different than any other two losses. It just looks bad because you haven’t won yet. It’s still just two losses with 14 games to go.

I agree in principle but i disagree just because of the pressure they are under to produce. I know to some extent a player compartmentalizes plays and losses by just moving on, but the wear down of losing close games and just being right there, yet walking away with a loss does something to you. I have played the game, and im telling you it doesnt feel good not living up to expectations and as a player or coach or GM or owner, you can say one thing but it affects you much deeper than you let on. Im not saying these guys are emotionally unstable and that this has them moping, but we really need a win to get some life back into this team, so as far as must win, it kind of is, because we need to snap this streak and start a better one.

I also feel losing this week is a must win because losing to a very bad Browns team, with a third string QB who has not looked good in PS, and whom has never taken a snap in a regular season NFL game, with very little behind him to back him up would be a BIG embarrassment. You cant just say its not a must win because mathematically it doesn’t eliminate us, and it doesn’t make it impossible to come back, every game sets the tone of the season. So far we played two tough teams, and we plays one of them tough for most the game, the other we started out bad, straightened shit up and got back in a groove, which isnt easy down 21-0 after 3 possessions. Make no bones about it though, we lost this one and shit is going to be really bad from here on out.

2 losses is not insurmountable is all I’m saying. Of course it can’t continue because the numbers game changes. You start to lose the time game. Only so many games to make up for it.

sorry should have read “I also feel this week is a mist win….”

September 22, 2016 at 3:41 pm

—————————————–
    Its not, and the wins were some what demoralizing, but there was signs of encouragement as well. It sucked but there were still building points. Next week isnt one of those games. If we want to show we are a team good enough to do something this year, we need to put it on this team. Time is now, so this is a must win, just for that reason.

I agree. We lose this game and it’s gonna be a tough road the rest of the season. We’re better than the Browns and it’s our home opener. If we allow this Browns team to punk us at home it’s going to get ugly. Not many people think the Browns will win this game. There is a reason for that.

Stanger

You can never account for injury. Nothing you can do but make sure you have good enough depth at RB, and if you don’t, you can usually find one, either on waivers, or by trade.

Who else do you have at RB?

Oh I have others now (both the Vikings guys), but then already lost two of my top four RBs (Danny Woodhead looked good for a bit), And then they said Charles would be ready for the opener….lol. So much for my first three pick RBs strategy, but at least Lacy can still walk from his car to his locker. 🙂

Does anyone else love ‘The Drake’? I think he may just become a difference maker. He doesn’t have to carry it 25 times to make a difference. 12 rushes, 2-3 catches and some STs impact is all good. The guy has talent.

Tim just Back Off ‘The Drake’. He doesn’t need your love! Ajayi might could use your special man spandex love, that fumblin sumbitch.

Careful Tim, or I’ll hit you 100x in 1 second!!! 👿

What a day to look in for a quick second. I forgot how much fun it was to scroll past a mike e write.

(was nice to see Top sent in a questions. always like and respected him.)

Rob

This was an easy challenge for your scroll finger too!

Stanger

FF is a strange beast. I have Demaryius Thomas in my keeper league, and I haven’t played him yet, and probably won’t unless I have to. Last year he was a MUST play just about every game. I have Antonio Brown, my man Jarvis Landry, Jordy Nelson and Sterling Shepard, and Jamison Crowder for depth

Looks like Pead will be back this Sunday. Not a bad trio, Ajayi, Drake and Pead. Just not a great one either.

Eagles and Wentz are 2-0 averaging 29 and the rook hasn’t thrown a pick yet. Pretty impressive start.

Mike,
    David Crosby nicknamed Grace the Chrome Nun back in the acid partying days. She was tough but wouldn’t get involved with the crazy sexual stuff going on.

Sonny

The story is outrageous. Slick went to Finch college with Patricia Nixon, and they were good friends. Now due to Slick’s political and free attitude, she was basically on a blacklist (like communists) So Grace Slick is invited to an alumni tea party at the white house, and the only reason she was let in, was because the invite was in Grace’s maiden name, so the red flag didn’t go up. Anyway, long story short, Grace had brought 600mg of acid that she intended to drop in good ol’ Tricky Dick’s tea. Can you imagine that? LMAO!

LMAO @ Son

Nixon: Let me tell the American people, the American people, the American people… I can’t stop saying it. What am I tripping? LOL

I always think it’s funny to see guys sniffing smelling salts like maniacs before a game. They improve your respiration and alertness. Why are they not considered “performance enhancing”? And if they don’t really help…why do so many players use them? I remember sniffing them back in high school. We usually only did it after you got your bell rung though to kinda help you focus again.

First time I saw smelling salts was as a young child in Temple on the high holiday of Yom Kippur, where everyone fasts for approximately 25 hours. Sometimes older people would faint, so they had them on hand to revive them. I was curious to see what it was all about, so my dad let me sniff it. Doh! it was like sniffing ammonia

So far Miller looks like he did for us. Nine yard run, loss of two, run for two…

That’s a horsehit call already,

MikeE,
    That was because they actually do release ammonia when you sniff them. Nasty.

man, watching Hou’s D our D sucks.

Who the fuck is # 59? LOL Murculus?

Already 2 horrible penalties for the cheats, no wonder they keep winning.

Landry still on top in receptions huh? My man.

He’s on track (through only two games I know, but it’s not just two games, it’s two years, he’s the real deal) this year for 136 receptions for 1,564 yards.

There will most likely be a drop off as the year goes by, but who knows? He gets the ball because he gets open.

I asked who will be the first one to project stats out after 2 games, I expected it to be Omar.

I am an unrepentant Koolaid pushing homer

Besides Steve and I said in my post earlier it’s not just two games it has been two years and two games Jarvis Landry is the man he is today’s Wes Welker

I know Miller wanted more touches

But did he want 30-40 a game?

Does he intend to retire in the next couple of years?

Wow Garoppolo’s trade value just dropped tremendously. He is, just like brady, nothing but a system QB. Belicheat is the genius.

Shouldn’t Houston be taking Miller out by now? He’s rushed 13 times already.

Are Osweiller and Tannehill clones?

Tanneweiller

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 22, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Remember how Foles started his 1st year in Philly….just sayin. 😉

September 22, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Well you chose a good week to be that at least. Thank you god for giving us the Browns.

That is what terrifies me. We have a history of playing down to bad teams and fucking up our seasons by being the gimme for winless teams

part of why i just dont hang out here anymore is cause football is a joke. it is nothing but the newengland football league and tonight’s game is just more proof.

ok so suspend the fucking cheater but as a reward i am going to give you 3 of his four games at home against push over teams. then just to make sure we are going to pay the refs even more to make sure you get even more calls.

if anyone still thinks football is for real i have some beach front property on mars i can sell you real cheap. nothing is going to change until they get a new commish that kraft doesnt own

See, it’s not just Brady being some kinda superstar…they win with Galapagos & Brisket as QB’s….hell, they’d win with Doughty, & Matt Moore would look like Joe Montana in NE….lol SMH!

i would almost rather watch the nba then this crap at least the nba spreads their bs amongst two or three team

getter,

they win cause they own the commish and the refs. they get ever favorable treatment. it is why i just kind of have given up on watching football. the wwf has more suspense then the nfl.

They have a good team and system, but the favorable treatment they get is unreal. Let’s reward the team that has been involved in the most cheating the last 15 years.

Houston still has time, but Osweiler is no Tannehill 😛

I don’t feel so bad about the past two weeks. We made it a very, very close game. This isn’t even fun to watch. Even with 4 TOs we scored 24 against what looks like a top 10 D. Someone like FFR needs to visit Boston and kneecap a Mr Belichick.

Ahuh! Miller has 17 carries and takes himself out, because his knee is a little sore. ITYSO

Don’t know why there wasn’t D holding on that 4th down play on TE. Yes I do.

Thursday, former NFL linebacker Ray Lewis said while discussing the recent police shootings that black men are now “fearful” to walk out of their own houses.

“As a black man you’re fearful to walk out of your house now,” Lewis said on Fox Sports 1’s “Undisputed.” “Let me tell you why. I’ve been doing so much like trying to figure this out because the reason why black lives matter is because we got a heart. We got a pulse. We’re the exact same, but don’t make us and trick me and tell me that we’re the exact same when you know you look at me differently, you see? That’s where the issue is. Don’t tell me I’m something and then look at me and then tell me I’m that same thing that I know I already am.”

Lewis was indicted during his time as a Baltimore Raven on double murder charges in connection to the fatal stabbing of two men after a Super Bowl party in January of 2000, but charges were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against two other men at the party.
    ___________________________________
    What a stooge….totally can’t see the trees for the forest….smh

steveccnv says:
    September 22, 2016 at 10:46 pm

all that is needed. a good team and all the right calls and scheduling and wow they will have home field advantage in the playoffs. just so amazing. on another not, look at that womens DDD boobs, i bet those are real too.

Rob, you forgot to mention the home Thursday game. The one that has the highest percent of games won by the home team.

Belicheat cheated on the wife of his children, so it came easy cheating in the NFL….lol
    It’s a way of life for him.

getter,

regarding all this kneeling and black lives matter. i was told about a month or so ago while having a discussion about it by a black man. ‘well you are not black you will never understand it’ i was like ok whew, thank god now i can take that off my agenda to care about, i mean since i am a white guy i will never get it. ok no longer my problem, see ya.

Yet the other side of that coin usually proposes to know what being white is comprised of. Shame on the 8 years this current admin has done to fan the flames of division while doing nothing meaningful for unity.

steve,

i think so far two of their first 3 games have been nationally tv games that adds to it also.

i know i know i am the bat crazy guy but not like anything i am saying doesnt happen. i am willing to bet the cheats win 12-16 games this year and end up with at least one home field playoff game is not all games at home

Well

At least we scored against them

Blount in Beastmode! Wish we had a back like that & knew how to use him effectively.

getterdone says:
    September 22, 2016 at 11:02 pm

yep, i left my comment short but said that to him, then if that was the case you dont know why i think. and being we are men we dont know how women think. i was just told i was closed minded to the situation and at that point i just said ok and left it at that. i mean there was no need to try and discuss it anymore if you cant see both sides of the coin

getterdone says:
    September 22, 2016 at 11:05 pm

i would take the refs and the favorable treatment from the league any day over any player they have

why does one need a Viagra single pack with a woman that looks like that? hell i would be telling my doctor give me a 100 of them for the weekend if i needed them

ok i am out, dont want to over stay my welcome and get in trouble again. night all

NE looks unstoppable this season. 1 1/2 games from their backup QB, and 1 1/2 games from their 3rd string QB and they are 3-0. Unreal.

To put what they’ve done into perspective, they lucked out week 1 on a missed FG, week 2 should’ve been tied at the end of regulation, except Parker thought he was supposed to stop once he go to endzone. 2 home games where they get all the calls, a Thurs game at home…

86. 81Howie says:

Stang 17-7 MIA
    Real 24-17 MIA
    Bold 21-9 MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

87. ukfinfan says:

UK 27-14 MIA

I like having ya back FFR. Please continue to stop in for what ever amount of time you feel appropriate.

Again, last night was a horrible defensive strategy. You can’t tell me wilfork, Watt, et all are poor pass rushers or run defenders. That offense is just tailored to exploit the prowess of elite pass rushing by negating it. It also doesn’t have to have an elite QB to run it because it’s really high percentage passes and everything they run is basically out of the same formations. It’s pretty genius despite how you may feel about bilicheck.

Son he got a prominent spot at the stadium

Rob

Any shot you can make it to the Fest?

92. Al in MIA says:

How does this happen…
    How do the F(*@#&% Patriots go 3-0 with a backup QB and a rookie QB and do so easily.

Belichick gets players to buy into what they do. It’s pretty impressive.

Watched a video about Bill Clinton’s rise to power, from trafficking $100M a month through Ark. while governor to destroying documents that would convict him, to beating up Paula Jones’ neighbor, who had video of the 2, to killing those that tried to blow whistle, to getting fed jobs to the…

belicheat is a damn good coach but is he the best of all time? No I don’t think so. IMO walsh and gibbs are better. They won the superbowl with 2 different QBs. No way this pats team can win the superbowl the Grappolo or the rookie.

Steve

I’m kidding bud

97. Al in MIA says:

Who knows Boulder…
    I would think he’s top 5 for sure and better than Gibbs.
    Walsh over the last 35 years I guess.
    It’s harder in full free agency era to hold a team together.

• sb7mvp says:

Definitely better than Gibbs. Walsh is way up there because he didn’t just coach players to championships he coached coaches. His Legacy is felt to this day.

Id put Belichick on pretty equal footing with Walsh personally. Walsh created it, and he liek you said, produced some great coaches from his staff, but Belichick has modified that WCO into a thing that’s is so simple its highly complex. He rolls with the times very very well too, always tweaking things to adjust and stay one step ahead.

Thats also a very good point because he does it with whatever and whomever he has, back to my point of simplicity of design but complexity in reading and adjusting to it.

98. Al in MIA says:

What should I expect from the Browns?

I think the one thing they have going for them, is really nothing to lose, and the fact they are starting a guy who isnt someone we know much about. I think the plan should be throw the house at him, and if he adjusts to it and burns us a couple times, make some adjustments.

99. Al in MIA says:

D,
    What about the Miami offense vs the Browns D?

Boulder – I don’t know, he’s had complete dominance of this division for more than a decade, and 3 SB wins, and a couple of losses. That could easily make him the best.

Al,
    I agree belicheat is the best coach post free agency. Its a lot harder to keep a team together. But still I’m not sure belicheat will win another superbowl without brady. but who knows.

Well they look on the cusp of going 4-0 without him

And that pretty much makes them a serious playoff contender sans Brady

Ya know i think a lot of issue we are having with the idea of protests is that that word has inherent ambiguity. I think to some it means to cause civil unrest, again a word with ambiguity.I think some it means grab attention, but again ambiguity on what it takes to do that.

I looked back and followed the words of some people who enacted protest that i admire, most specifically MLK who defined it as, and im paraphrasing, using disruption of normal life, to start a conversation between two group who feel no need to communicate. I think we have several examples of that right now, some of which lives up to this goal and some that is destroying it.

Have you ever had a conversation with someone where, you were debating something and it remains civil, it might really touch off some personal feeling but because the other person didnt get ugly, you didnt get ugly? To me that’s what im thinking should always be the goal of protest and the conversations that happen after. Those people are listening to one another, maybe not agreeing, but they are at very least allowing the seed of understanding to be planted within them.

These protests that turn violent, or seem spiteful, disrespectful, etc. They have the exact opposite effect. They are that same argument you were having where one side or the other did go over the line, maybe they started screaming, maybe they started using profanities at each other, but one things is for sure, the door shut to the conversation well before the words stopped flowing. No seed was planted on either side, and any crops that were there before just got burned to the ground.

We as a society must find better ways to protest, and accept protest as not just a civil liberty, but a civic duty. We also need to wake up that the leaders on each side arent leading us towards better protest, but to deeper levels of hate. Media is also stirring the pot by focus its exposure on the examples the hateful ones of each of the two groups. They also are stirring the need to re-enact the 50’s and 60’s, because its good for clicks, or page turns, etc. Scary to think, but Isnt that more reflective of where we are, and where we are going than you think we would be in 2016? Doesnt it suck to think that we are no further along than we were over 50 years ago?

If you are a fan of history, as i am, that time was not a shining time in our past. I know good things came from it, but it came with a HUGE cost. History and the study of it is to prevent relapses such as that, its supposed to teach us than when you are headed down a road that looks eerily familiar and the destination was a bad on to find an alternate route to get to your destination. It looks too much to me like we are hell bent on going down that road again, despite the “road closed due to damage” sign that is right there in front of us to read.

Al in MIA says:
    September 23, 2016 at 11:32 am

D,
    What about the Miami offense vs the Browns D?
    ———————————————-
    Keep them on their heels with tempo, get off to an early lead, before moving to more ball control and clock management. We need that Tempo i think to establish our offensive identity, which i believe once established will carry through even when we move away from it later in the game.

Basically reverse our previous strategy. Seems to be decent gameplan, we just arent getting to it soon enough and i think its time to try starting with it.

I think Belichick could win without Brady. I actually though during the deflate gate scandal, there might actually be a parting of ways then. Belichick threw Brady under the bus, and i was thinking to myself if he is willing to do that, with Brady very capable of just walking away right now, he really doesnt fear losing him. I think if it comes down to it and it becomes the best thing for the team, Belichick would do it in a heart beat. I also think its why Brady has been so willing to give up money so as not to force the issue. Brady wants to remain a patriot, and i think he has loyalties to team and possibly Belichick, but i dont see that as a two way street.

There’s cases to be made for Belichick vs Walsh, but I still favor the guy who didn’t have a tarnished record of continually pushing the envelop or purposely breaking the rules. Also, not one coach from the Belichick tree can reproduce what he does. It’s like I said, a coach that can coach coaches as well. Is what you teach and coach repeatable by others. Coaching isn’t just winning, there’s a lot of teaching involved as well.

I both hate Belichick and respect him…..one can do both. And the fact that the people he teaches can’t after learn to be him just makes him greater in my mind, least when it comes to who runs their team best versus lasting and ongoing NFL legacy.

You guys are gonna hate me for it, but I was fine with the Pats winning last night (not that wasn’t rooting against them).

First reason is I never though we had a chance at the division, and even if it is early seems that issue is out of the way.

Second one is still rooting for playoffs. Pats are going to play a bunch of teams we might be competing against for the wildcard.

And third…..our last game is against the Pats at the Rock. If it comes to it, sure would be nice for them to be sitting Brady and most of their key starters.

Boulder – Right, 4 SB wins. Has to be near the top of the list for HC’s, and really, football minds period. He’s a GM, HC, mastermind, he does everything. Very unusual to these days to be able to accomplish that, and he keeps evolving too, which is even more impressive.

Rioting and Protesting are two different things. A lot of people think they’re the same.

D,
    That game plan only works if you can score. If you go up tempo and don’t score, it puts a great deal of pressure on your defense. It can also put you behind early in games which makes it that much harder to keep pace and win. It sounds good, but it’s very risky. Also, our offense isn’t gonna be playing against a defense that is playing wth a 20+ point lead after the first half and playing a soft, pseudo prevent defense like NE did. Thinking our offense can do that any time they like is a bit speculative. I doubt they can.

And it is just human nature too. You think you are the better team and you take less risks, figuring you either get the game under control early or then turn it on as needed.

Think that is part of the reason why we keep losing so often end of the game…..that’s when the good teams pull out the stops they didn’t before.

NE wasn’t playing prevent defense. Not sure what pseudo prevent defense is? Prevent defense is 3 man rush with 8 in deep coverage and that’s not what NE was doing. Yes they played some deep safeties but there was still a lot of man going on.

September 22, 2016 at 7:18 pm
    Stanger….. I have Antonio Brown, my man Jarvis Landry, Jordy Nelson and Sterling Shepard, and Jamison Crowder for depth
    ——————————–
    That a serious set of wideouts with nice flex factor for the bye weeks down the road.

How many teams in that league? In an 8 that is top-tier, in a 10 it is dominating, in 12 it is off the charts.

12 teams, but my weakness is QB, although I did draft Carson Wentz, so that could help me possibly now and down the line. I have pretty good RB’s too, Forte, L. Murray and DeAngelo Williams. My starting QB was Kirk Cousins, last year I had Cutler.

We don’t play Flex, we play 1 QB, 2 RB’s, 3 WR’s, 1 TE, 1 DEF, 1 K

If I was you would be ditching Crowder and opening up that spot for a RB (you know D-Lo only has one productive week left unless Bell goes down) or something else. Your wideouts are four strong (assuming you can only play three).

We do the same except a TE counts as part of the 3 WRs.

D

organizing people together for a message is always going to attract some bad elements

That’s just people
    not all are good no matter what the message or what they are trying to communicate

I don’t think its any different now than it ever has been

but when something has merit over time, the substance of the protest outlasts the negative elements

overall American protests have been non-violent historically compared to the rest of the world

compare the Civil Rights movement of the 60s to something like the French Revolution of the late 18th century
    the need for change ended in beheading of the people in power….OUCH

Its not new for Civil unrest to lead to violence
    Its kinda the way it is most of the time
    Americans have actually been surprisingly peaceful relatively speaking to the way it happens in the rest of the world historically and in the past
    and I think that is bc our 1st amendment promotes it

bit no matter whether its peaceful or violent it a reflection of civil unrest
    and that civil unrest doesn’t go away based on the way the message is delivered

I think overall, despite some heavily covered events, people have done a good job trying to deliver a message nonviolently

but if people end up belittling the argument of others constantly – well free speech is useless then
    and the problems persists, and social unrests persists
    and who knows what happens then

I guess we will find out if we keep on the course we are in

Personally I think one thing different today than we have experienced in the past is the persistence of misinformation and misdirection that we see today

Stanger

I’m thinking of making a trade for a RB, I also have Ajayi and Chris Johnson as depth

If you have to play three WRs……that actually makes your trade position for an RB better. I’d be thinking I want the best solid six I can get (figuring one might not be there come playoffs…..which assume you will make).

Another option is look for that guy with a starting QB type as a back-up.

They stopped loading the box or flooding gaps, and they were willing to give up the underneath stuff and focus on keeping everything in front of them. Not complete prevent, but they weren’t being aggressive and trying to get us off the field as fast as possible. They were content to let us make the short play and eat up time. They also gave us more offensive opportunities because they weren’t taking chances offensively to push the ball down the field and we’re dealing with a third string QB. They were playing conservatively. Most games aren’t gonna go that way. Hopefully because we’re not down by 3 TDs in the first half.

The Pats were mixing up their coverages and still sending 4 and 5 on the rush at times. Prevent is typically a 3 man rush, 5 defenders about 10 yards deep and 3 safeties deep, one in the middle and one on each side. The idea is to keep everything in front of them and prevent the offense from getting out of bounds or going over the top. The Pats weren’t playing that.

They did use some more zone mixed with man though and yes they played more conservatively on offense to try and kill the clock. But that’s not prevent defense. LOL

Least seems our safeties are working out well, and that was a concern going in. Not for Reshad obviously, but Isa has been solid.

———————————————

Miami’s duo of Reshad Jones and Isa Abdul-Quddus is quickly becoming known as one of the best in the league for the opposite reason. They are similar in size and speed and experience. “We can both do a lot so we can disguise a lot,” Abdul-Quddus said.

“It’s good to have versatile guys in the back end that can cover and run,” Jones said. “That can come in the box and can be an extra linebacker and can go in the back end and be a back end safety.”

After two weeks, Quddus is the NFL’s 11th-rated safety, and Jones is 14th, according to Pro Football Focus. In pass coverage, Jones is rated as the NFL’s 2nd-best safety (behind Byron Jones, Dallas) and Abdul-Quddus is 10th.

It’s really early, obviously, but only the duos in San Francisco (Eric Reid and Antoine Bethea) and Los Angeles (Maurice Alexander and T.J. McDonald) rate higher.

“It’s nice for us because now you don’t create that tendency of Reshad’s always down, Isa’s always in the middle, or vice versa,” Dolphins coach Adam Gase said. “Or Reshad always blitzes. If you can eliminate the always and nevers, that’s the biggest thing for a defense.

Excerpted from the PBP

September 23, 2016 at 10:01 am (Edit)
    It’s pretty obvious that he’s the one constant, whether it’s Brady, Matt Cassel, Jimmy Garoppolo, Jacoby Brisset, or Beef Brisket, Belichick has his team ready, and his system seems to work no matter who runs it.

That’s because he is the devil and has no soul! 😉

People will say Trump said this or that about women. But the truth is Bill Clinton actually treated them like objects. Of his 100s he had on the side, he ruined the lives of many of them.

I thought no the greatest coach of all time is the one that actually compel eyes the task of going undefeated

Shula didn’t necessarily need the undefeated season, he was great anyway. I think what makes a coach great is the ability to continue to win, and evolve, which Belichick has done well.

In case you were wondering

Shula – 328 wins
    belicheat – 226

Belicheat basically needs another decade of 10+ wins to overtake Shula

Maybe he can do that with Brisset or Garapollo 😮

Hence the reason I said PSUEDO prevent. You can twist that any way you like. Lol

Trump eats kittens not puppies Mike

And washes it down with the blood of small children…

I think Bellicheat has proven that he is a great coach…probably one of the very best ever. What I think he does well is he gets the max out of his players. Whether that’s thru scheme, structure, practice or whatever…he rarely has players that under perform.

Herd

Not sure about the devil, but he might be the emperor . . .

I think wheeling out Trump and Clinton was Obama’s plan to try to get 4 more years.

It’s not to late to change the term limit rules…lol

I always wonder – why didn’t Biden run?
      I’m guessing that the powerful Dema believed it was “Hillary’s time” and just underestimated how bad she was

Piggy,
    A head coach’s ability to prepare his players…and coaching staff too…is part of how you get the best out of them. But yeah…we’re all nitpicking. It’s hard to argue with his success no matter how he has done it.

Piggy

Amazing that Shula coached for 33 years, and only had 2 losing seasons, and even then, never lost more than 10 games

Today Gary Johnson said not to worry about Global Warming bc someday the Sun will engulf the Earth anyway…

Okay , that’s a little crazy

I’m still voting 3rd party to drive up the popular vote

2020 is for more choices!

Tim “Prevent” is basically cover 4, or cover 6. Pevent doesnt have to be a 3 man rush, and it doesnt have to have 8 deep. It has 4 deep for sure, as CB’s generally go to a deep zone, and so does both the safeties. The rest can be aligned in all kind of different ways. You do generally sub out a DL or LB for a NB, but you dont have to, and the NB and LB’s dont HAVE to be in a zone, regardless, could have them in man, they could float/spy and then do whatever they think is best depending on the formation, etc. Cover 6 can also be done out of a 4 man front, and DE’s can be part of the coverage options, etc. Prevent isnt really anything standard its a general concept for “preventing” anything deep.

I don’t know why it matters what defense the Heats were playing vs the Dolphins

If they were playing now prevent – Tannehill did what he was supposed to do when that happens, and what he has failed to do in the past

We ended up being a play away from tying the game

Houston got shut out

If the cheats didn’t okay prevent defense – then the Texans failed to exploit that

You are supposed to exploit whatever defense the defense throws out you
    Not argue which one is harder to beat

Agreed, RT tore it up anyway. Just too late.

There’s a lot of NFL games won with a late surge

The reality to me is that we failed to stop the patriots offense in the 3rd qtr on that TD drive and failed to stop them on the final drive which lead to the missed FG

I think if we do either we leave New England with a win

I’m not as bothered by the slow starting one dimensional offense and I am with the defense that couldn’t stop anything

True, but if the offense got off to a quicker start it could of just been an old fashioned shootout. You have to win those sometimes.

Looks like ASJ cut. Git a DUI last night, and just tweeted a “thank you, next chapter” message a couple minutes ago

Oh forget it

The TE

Tim I know what that firm of prevent looks like, but I’m saying that’s not the only coverage call for prevent. If it was you could 100 percent know where to attack it. I’m saying you can line up any number of ways and send any number of players into a prevent coverage. It’s not static formation like you have in your picture

It’s just as static as a base 4-3 or 3-4 formation. I never said you can’t modify it but the Pats were not playing prevent the entire 2nd half. What I did notice is that they played man on one side and off man on Parker’s side. They did not want him beating them vertically.

Tim football isnt static like that bro. That prevent defense you posted up there is called Quarters….again its not prevent, its a type of prevent.

sorry half dollar…not quarters, quarters still has 4 DL

Okay, I really don’t want to split hairs here. That is not a quarters defense either. The quarters defense is played out of a base or nickel formation. What I posted is a classic 3-1-7 prevent defense. You can try to change something that’s been around for many years if you like though. 😉

Jason Jones turned an ankle in practice and is possibly out this week. So Branch and Fede have to step up with Wake likely playing more snaps as well.

LOL @ Piggy

In that 3-1-7 formation, the lone LB in the middle is your best tackler/coverage LB who reads the QB and follows the play wherever it goes. Everyone else has to hold their ground or you could get beat. You want to keep everything in bounds and in the middle of the field and nothing over the top. That’s why it’s called a prevent defense, to prevent the offense from getting out of bounds and stopping the clock, and to prevent big plays and quick scores. Prevent is the key word here. LOL

When I was watching the game last night I was amazed at how the route combinations run by Bellicheat are designed to destroy a zone. At one point Houston had he ILB drop into a shallow zone and NE had the RB & TE cross their routes directly in front of him. Brissett only had to see which way the ILB leaned an throw to the other guy. There wasn’t any thought involved in it for the rookie. If he leans left throw right, if he leans right throw left.

Bellicheat destroys zones that way. (I won’t even get into the “rub or “pick” routes.)

I am upset with my working conditions here at the office so I am going to protest by stealing the computer, printer & equipment and breaking the windows, kicking holes in the walls and lighting my desk on fire!

no way. Belicheat might have to suit up against the bills.

“Report: Jacoby Brissett tore a thumb ligament, may need surgery”

Wow! They may have to sign someone, or Julian Edelman can play QB too.

Watch him throw for 300 yards and two TDs and run for two more. LOL

Garoppolo will likely play, they were in the short week this week and he needed more than 4 days to recover.

If they don’t have Brady, Garapollo or Brissett
    and they beat the Bills

just imagine the Patriot knobslobbing on ESPN and NFL Network

Check your mail

No need to worry if your a pats fan. The referees will take care of everything.

Other team moving too fast? One of the refs will fake an injury to slow down the game…

“Report: Jacoby Brissett tore a thumb ligament, may need surgery”
    They have 10 days to figure it out.

He’s being released bc he was arrested for DUI last night Tim

I would not call his Bucs career productive

but we have seen talented high draft picks guys turn the corner on a 2nd team

I wouldn’t sign him to costs a guy like Simms his roster spot
    but I might sign him as a #3 to give it a shot and see if he an turn that corner for us

You never know

Some one is gonna sign him
    he will likely get a new chance somewhere

Tim im not changing anything, prevent is not a simple formation…..thats not prevent, its a type of prevent. See the link below.

Prevent is a defensive concept not a specific formation…..

I pretty much said that and the formation is pretty simple. Never said you can’t alter it a little bit. The classic prevent is usually implemented up by two scores or more and little time left on the clock. It shouldn’t be a huge debate. Nobody plays prevent for an entire half. That’s ridiculous. LOL

Gerry Rafferty’s “Baker Street” is an awesome song. Just saying . . . .

I like the idea of signing ASJ, but basically putting him in the leagues substance abuse program as soon as he is signed. Get the kid some help, get him cleaned up and then teach him to be a pro. We have a couple guys on our team who are great pro athletes and could help straighten this guy out.

From what i understand is he has a history in his short career of letting partying dominate his life, and affect his commitment to his job. Remember he was on a short leash already because of not taking his job seriously, he has some growing up to do and i wouldnt want him actively on our team until he got his shit straight, but he is a really solid player when focused.

We also have some fuck ups on this team

Or we have had some fuck ups over the years

147. naplesfan2010 says:

Howie Miami 36-6 pls

I feel more confident believing we can manage another teams immature or diva cast offs at this point. I definitely feel Gase seems to be able to reach players on a level we didn’t see with Philbin so i feel much more confidant looking at other peoples castoffs if they have some real upside.

Thats said, im not as down on our current TE group as i am nervous about our RB’s. Has any report of how bad Foster’s injury is surfaced? Do they expect it to be a game, 2 games…?

Developing a system takes time

If Gase is our guy – I’m not sure the 1st year of his job is the best time to take chances like this

I liked ASJ in college
      and like I posted above – a lot of players turn that corner

but I don’t know who these Dolphins are yet

Because of years of non playoff football, patience is running out. But when you call for blow it all up which we did, there’s a learning curve. How could it not be?

Maybe right its bad to compound work, most who have to split their efforts wind up doing neither well. Talent is very much there though so its kind of hard to see that pass by. Id be just as happy drafting OJ Howard, Jake Butt, or Evan Engram next year, but that would kind of mess up your defense for the first 3 picks scenario.

well fuck it then
    sign ASJ
    I want to draft all defense next year…..lol

150. 81Howie says:

Real 24-17 MIA
    Bold 21-9 MIA
    UK 27-14 MIA
    Naples36-6MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

151. naplesfan2010 says:

We play against Jamar Taylor this week who is a starter for Cleveland.

• New Age says:

I don’t think he’s a good player overall but he probably knows Tannehill pretty well. I don’t think he can cover what we have no matter how well he may know Tannehill’s habits.

152. naplesfan2010 says:

in my 36 -6 prediction I am figuring we get 4 TDs 2 FGs and a safety as the rook gives us a sack fumble safety near the goal line.

I have a sleeper TE prospect i like out of Arkansas with a pretty cool name lol. Jeremy Sprinkle. Solid RZ threat, 3 TD in 9 receptions so far this year. Balanced TE skills, reminds me a lot of Bennett.

Go Pokes

The Herd is playing Louisville this weekend……positive vibes please!

156. 81Howie says:

Morning Update
    Same as a few
    posts up…
    GO PHINS!!!

I think Mike needs to change the acronym to FBOTW (Former Babe of The Week).

I won’t get to watch the game tomorrow…Alzheimer’s walk instead.

LOL @ Lisa – That’s funny! Great cause Lisa, WTG!

Wow, it just gets better, I just read the Herd’s starting QB is likely out for the game…. 😦

Watching an eight year old kid here that knows how to properly track a ball over his back shoulder when receiving. I know plenty of college players that can’t do that crap lol

Oh man I broke the blog

163. 81Howie says:

Just got done listening to Duran-Duran Greatest Hits. Dont tell me how Ghey, that shit was great back then… Oh the Memories! Going home with a different girl every friday and saturday night and partying down at Haulover. Damn If I could do it all again I certainly would.
    Look out! I’m going to Ft. Lauderdale Strip when I come down for the 23rd
    HELL YEAH!!!

I liked some Duran Duran. They were excellent musicians. Music is taste even if not everyone likes it. It’s like making fun of a type of wine or beer. Don’t drink it if you don’t like it.

164. 81Howie says:

I almost forgot about Grace Slick…
    Yes I saw her too, July 4th 1986 WSHE gave a free concert on Miami Beach and Jefferson Starship was the band. FRONT ROW as usual but I couldnt hook up with her, for I had my latest girlfriend with me that day. Maybe next time 🙂
    SHE’S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL!!!

165. 81Howie says:

UK 27-14 MIA
    Naples36-6MIA
    BRIANinNY31-13MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

Miami – 23
    Browns – 10

Man I miss WSHE. The rocked! I knew all the DJ’s in 1989. I lived with David Crosby’s sister-in-law and it was quite the party house. Famous bands and artists would come over all the time when they were in town. I met David Crosby, Edgar Winter, George Lucas, All the DJ’s from the local radio stations and several other famous people and got wrecked with them when I was 17. Oh the “good old days” of course the good old days were that good when I had to go into rehab.