Ask Mike – 2016 Season Week 3

ASKMIKELogo

from Piggy

Q – So our leading rusher through 3 games is our QB.  That’s not good.  But do you think the RB rotation is also affecting those numbers?  Seems to me that no one is going to get 15+ carries this year.

Oinks

Pigsgerald

There’s no question that the RB rotation has a huge effect on those stats, but so did Gase’s decision to leave a healthy Jay Ajayi home the first week of the season. I think he’s giving all these guys a shot, and why not do it early on? It’s so hard to really gauge what they can do in practice and in the pre season, especially with fewer practices, and the fact that so many of our RB’s weren’t healthy before the season, and we didn’t have Foster, who of course went down himself after game 1.

I don’t have any problem at all how he’s handling the RB’s so far, and I think once he finds the 2 or 3 guys he’s comfortable with, we’ll be seeing lots more of those guys and not much of the others. I do think once he arrives at that decision, which may still be 2-3 games out, whoever those 2 main guys are will see at least 15 carries, or at least one of them will.

My guess is if Foster can’t stay or get healthy, Drake and Ajayi will be the 2 main guys and Pead will be the next guy up. Of course, those 3 guys have to stay healthy in their own right.
____________________________________________________

from OD

Q -Now that you’ve seen 3 games, what’s your updated prediction for Miami’s won-lost record this season? Thank you, again, for all you do for this site.–OD

Call me crazy, and I know you will OD, I’m sticking with my 10-6. We will get things straight, we will improve, and we will play better as a result. Gase, as opposed to the udder guys will not settle for less, and will find the players that will get it done. Most likely, it will be most of the players that are starting right now, but putting them on notice is an intelligent way to let them know they’re accountable for their play, and poor play will not be tolerated.

While watching them struggle against the Browns was as enjoyable as peeling off my eyelids, pouring kosher salt in my eyes, and then staring at the sun for 3 hours straight, I still believe we can be winners. I think Tannehill is going to have a big year, and not just be a stat padder. I think he’s going to help us win games this season, and I think 9 more wins are coming.

____________________________________________________

from drg

Q -Mike,
Sorry it’s not email, but here’s my question:
Give us a good 3 year plan to build a perennial playoff team from what Miami has right now.

One thing for sure is we have to stick with a Head Coach, and give him a chance. I can’t be 100% positive, but I think Adam Gase is the right guy. We need to give him an opportunity to continue with his vision, and allow things to come together. That’s easier said than done, but we can’t continue to purge both the coaching staff and the roster every 2-3 years, it’s like treading water, you spend lots of energy, but you don’t get anywhere.

The next thing we need to do is improve the roster on the defensive side of the ball. We need more talent at CB, find a partner for Xavien Howard to make a solid young CB tandem. We need talent at LB, sure tacklers, smart players that put themselves in the right position to make plays, and ones that can actually make the tackle when they’re there. I think we can upgrade all 3 spots at LB, but that’s hard to do in one draft, but we might be able to find 1 or 2 in the draft.

The next thing I think we should do is think long term, maybe 3 years down the line. Stop trying to find the one player that will put us over the top, because that doesn’t happen in football. We’re far away from just needing one way, I’d rather have 4 talented players than 1 great player. Let’s draft that player, but stop overspending for that player in FA. That’s where I think we’ve gone wrong year after year, always making that one big splash, but as you can see, that hasn’t paid dividends here. Oh, and can we finally draft a really good TE!!!! That’s more than 3, but I had to throw it in there.

Gase is in his place
Draft better, especially on defense
No excessive spending in FA, more specifically, on one player
____________________________________________________

from Stanger

Q – What are the three best units on this team?

And when I ask that thinking LBs, DEs, DTs, Safeties, Corners, OL (but you can break up), WRs, RBs, TEs, QBs and kickers are units.

stanger

I think right now our safeties, WR’s and DT’s, although the depth is definitely best at WR, with Parker, Landry, Stills, Carroo and Grant. Can’t remember where we’ve had this much talent, and YOUNG talent. Carroo is the youngest at 22, and Stills the oldest at 24. This unit will hopefully grow into something like what the Packers had years ago, when Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver and James Jones. It would be nice if Ryan Tannehill also became Aaron Rodgers too, but we can dream, right? I think our ST’s unit is also great, with the exception of K Andrew Franks. He’s not bad necessarily, but I think Darr looks much better than average, and I think Landry and Grant can be the best in the business.
Love the duo of Jones and Abdul-Quddus, Isa has impressed me, and Jones has been for years now. We have to keep these guys together for a while too, so we can get some consistency back there. Draft another stud CB, and we can have a shot at becoming one of the better secondaries in the NFL.
____________________________________________________
from David

Q – my Question to You is,

How can We stop the run? and When?

We get gashed by RB, over and over and over, even when we KNOW the other team is going to run.  I feel like We cant turn the corner until we can stop the run.

Thanks, David

Unfortunately, the answer isn’t good. I would say 2017, when we start drafting some LB’s, and maybe pick another one up in FA. I think we have the pieces on the D-line to be stout against the run, but DT’s and DE’s don’t usually make the tackles, it’s the other 3 guys of the front 7 that have clean it up, and between Alonso, Misi and Jenkins, they just aren’t getting it done, and are definitely not making the tackles in their gap assignments, rather 5-10 yards down field. That’s just not doing your job correctly, and sometimes when they’re in the right gap, they just aren’t wrapping up. I don’t expect a lot of improvement this year, but it’s possible. Jenkins can’t seem to stay healthy, and Misi either, but maybe 2 other guys step up and start getting it done. Not likely though.
____________________________________________________

And now for the babe of the week . . .

sheilaee

This entry was posted in Ask Mike. Bookmark the permalink.

1,144 Responses to Ask Mike – 2016 Season Week 3

piggy,
    I agree. Wait till training camp next year and hope for a desperate team to bite. If we’re lucky someone will give a 2nd or even maybe even a 1st.

• all depends on when the option kicks in. they wouldn’t want to get stuck paying him if they can’t unload him. either way, they’re screwed because if they try to unload him before the option teams may just wait until he’s cut. I doubt there’s going to be any team out there who will be stupid enough to pick up that contract.

• to me, this is why it’s imperative to get Doughty in the mix. if he plays well enough and you decide your moving forward with him you might be able to dump Tannehill before the end of the season and get something for him. however, it also could be depended on him being willing to restructure because who’s going to want to pay him $18M a year?
      we’re 1-3. we’re going nowhere. time to cut the cord and take tannehill off life support.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

If bradford got a 1st I think tanny can. He’s not much worse than Bradford. You just need to get lucky.

Lou, when Doughty is getting thrown to the ground like a rag doll over and over and then gets injured you’ll realize the problem is bigger than one position. Tannehill is not the answer and neither is any QB on our roster.

We don’t match up with most teams in the trenches. How do teams get away with doubling Suh and we can’t take advantage of that? How on every important 3rd down does our OL look like they just woke up on a park bench? Our secondary looks like they just met for the first time. It’s the same shit every week.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

IT sucks being a phins fan. It has been for a while 🙂

• Doughty doesn’t hang onto the ball like Tannehill does. he gets the ball out a lot faster. doesn’t take him anywhere near as long to make a decision with the ball as it does tannehill so you can say tannehill isn’t the problem but I’ll disagree on that.
      when you’ve got plays that are designed for quick passes and you’re qb is standing there picking his ass you create chaos. tannehill doesn’t have a football mind. for 4 yrs I’ve been hearing how hard he works, how much he studies, yadda, yadda, yadda.
      he’s in his fifth year now and if he’s working that hard and studying that hard and still isn’t getting it he doesn’t have a football mind. Doughty has a football mind. He see’s things differently because he just does.
      Even Clyde said he doesn’t understand his progressions and, to me, that says Doughty knows more than the coaches. Develop this kid and see what he can do. He’s got the skills. So he can’t run the ball like Tannehill. Who gives a shit. Neither could a lot of other qb’s. We don’t need him to run the ball like Tannehill. We need him to pass the ball better than Tannehill and he already does that. If Doughty works as hard and studies as hard as Tannehill does he’ll surpass Tannehill pretty quickly

No team is giving us high draft picks for Tannehill. Some team will sign him and let him compete when he’s done here and then he’ll go on a tear just like former Mets do. Mike and Brian know what I mean. LOL

And to top it all off I put Parker in my lineup last night thinking he would have a good game. 2 pts!!! Yay me. LOL

Lou, if Doughty becomes a solid QB great. But I really don’t have confidence that he will be. He won’t last the season on this team.

Boulder, I think Bradford has pictures of NFL executives having sex with goats so they keep paying and trading for him to keep him quiet. He’s not a good QB either. LOL

Watching this team is like getting a colonoscopy….but at least I get a sucker after having my anus violated.

Tanny just cant get over the hump with regards to pocket presence, internal clock that kicks in to check down or throw it away, and/or make the right read/decisions on his throws. I have too many times eend a wide open check down receiver when he was getting pressure, or open lanes to step up in the pocket, or scramble to the outside for better throwing lanes, etc. He seems to lock on to one guy on some plays and not though the other guy is right there in his field of view throw to the guy who is covered instead of anticipating the other guy coming open and throwing to him. I was really hoping to see him get back to that place where he was loking like at worst he was still improving, but he isnt anymore.

I dont know what we have in Doughty, but if Gase is going t bench people for bad performances, he should do it to Tanny as well and then see what we have with Doughty. I mean we are looking right now and isnt working, if we put Doughty in after a long week for better preparation, we might not do any worse. Its true the OL unit we had in place, especially with Turner in there, wasn’t doing us any favors, but again, that doesnt take any blame off the QB for his parts. That interception was a horrible throw and a horrible read. The strip sack was completely on him this time and im telling you it was the other night as well. There were lots of times i saw open receivers and he looked at them is the worst part, so he should have seen it. He doesnt seem to have a lot of focus or fire in his play either, which has been there in the past.

At this point, getting out of the rest of his contract, using that money to extend Landry and Jones, going with a new QB in the draft if we wind up losing out for the rest of the season, and/or rolling with Doughty if he can give us a spark for rest of this season. Id still drafting a replacement in next years draft no matter what, but that would be my strategy.

The problems are much deeper than the QB and Tannehill in particular. This is not a good team. They don’t rise to the occasion ever!!!! Instead of making big plays we find ways to fuck it up every time in every phase. See Fede with the dumb play on the punt to give the Bengals a 1st down. We do shit like that all the time.

9. markeyh says:

Not sure what was worse those awful uniforms or the pathetic offense I endured watching until the end…..you know it’s bad when I am ready to jump off the Tannehill bandwagon…

I think what’s happening with me is it’s making me feel stupid for investing so much energy in the team. I’m not off the Tannehill bandwagon, I don’t even know if I was ever on it, but it’s just the same thing every year, and I get excited with the hope of change, and the Coaches change, the players change, but the record always is approximately the same, somewhere between awful and mediocre.

I’m tired of watching the same game over and over. It’s almost like it’s predetermined and I keep falling for it.

Like I said earlier, 1-3 is not a death sentence but I have no confidence in this team moving forward. It sucks!!!

• bookman11 says:

I feel the same way.
        I mean, I hate Thursday Night games and it is hard for me to get exciting to watch them, but what made last night worse was I expected them to lose and they did not let me down, unfortunately. It is bad enough I expect them to jump off-sides on defense on every punt where there is less than 5 yards to go, but when they get that roughing the kicker call because of the most bone headed play you can come up with…that is the kind of thing that shouts “de ja vu” to me.

I actually was thinking when Sills caught that TD pass, I hope he didn’t just catch a meaningless long TD pass in this game versus catching a more meaningfull one in Seattle…turns out I was right….SMH

In order to try to enjoy watching the games moving forward, I am going to watch them with the mentality that they are huge underdogs in every game: that every team they face is expected to win. (I know, that is probably the reality anyway…LOL) I do not care who the players are on the field, I am going to just sit back and take any win as a positive at this point.

Bookman, who would have thought that the Stills play would be the last good one for the night. Ugh!!!!

• bookman11 says:

I know…right? Unfortunately that is the thought that crept into my mind……God I hope at the end of the night I am not thinking: “great Stills, NOW you catch a long pass for a meaningless score, but cant catch the one in Seattle?”…but that is what happened…SMH

I really think if you went Moore or Doughty or whatever you are just doing a cycling of QBs
    I’m not sure I see any light in 2016 right now
    I don’t see an immediate solution

I look at the defense and offense and I think it is what it is

I expect us to win a few of the next 4 home games – maybe even all of them

but I don’t think we are a very good team right now
    And I think we might need another offseason just to be a serious contender for a playoff spot

I am with you though…..I feel like I am watching the same game over and over.

It never ends. I rant to my friends about it from time to time and they just stay silent until I’m done. They already knew but I’m the happy fan who has hope and they know me to be that guy. LOL

• bookman11 says:

LOL….I am the same way. My friend’s who are mostly Packer fans, with some other teams mixed, will always ask me how the Fins are doing or how they are going to do. I always trend to the positive, I never tell them they suck or will suck…LOL..even when I have no clue how they will do, which now seems to be every year.

I am always like:” well if the key players stay healthy and the young players develop they may be pretty good”….blah, blah, blah…LOL

People that know me as a Dolphin fan always ask when we’re going to get a real Quarterback. I’m of course left with that stupid look on my face saying “I dunno”.

I think the team moral is infected with the let down seen week in week out from the qb spot. I’m sure at one point or another evryone has had to work along side someone who just sucks at what they do, fuck everything up, never get held accountable for it and just suck the fun/life out of every day.

It is not in my nature to be a hater, actually the exact opposite is true as I am a blind homer most of the time. That being said, I am starting to hate this fucking team so I think it’s time to step away for a little bit. I will still see you guys at the Fest game and D&B’s the night before but I am going to start finding other things to do with my Sundays and the rest of the time I waste reading, blogging, etc about this awful team.

This year in our FFL I had to pick a 2nd QB late because in our 4 protect league I have Aaron Rodgers since 2008. I had the choice of a few and I took Cousins over Tannehill. Nobody in our league has RT on their roster and I saw it as an omen. They did last year, not this year.

Rock, so you’re going to take up Curling are you? 🙂

“I’m sure at one point or another evryone has had to work along side someone who just sucks at what they do, fuck everything up, never get held accountable for it and just suck the fun/life out of every day.”

Alright Son, who did you talk to that works with me???

bookman,
    remember after the pats game you asked me if I saw improvements in the team because they made a comeback at the end and stayed close with seattle. I said not really.
    Their play the last 2 weeks is basically why. 🙂

• bookman11 says:

I remember…….I guess I was trying to see something different because of the new coaching staff, but it really is the same thing.

That doesn’t mean I do not like Gase…I just will wait to pass judgment, good or bad, until there is a larger body of work to assess.

20. Al in MIA says:

As bad as this team looks at the moment, I’m hoping for a light bulb moment lol.

21. Al in MIA says:

When are Zach Vigil and Dion Jordan coming back? They will be eligible for that Bills game, right?

I am out…talk to you all later….work is over…happy hour is next.

23. Al in MIA says:

From the barry article Al posted. I for one hate the 4 man rotation. I actually wished we kept Ajayi in longer last night.

Do any of the four running backs warrant additional playing time when Arian Foster returns?

“That’s something I am going to evaluate this weekend, see if I can maybe narrow it down a little bit to get one of these guys in rhythm. I have a pretty good idea what some of these guys showed me the last two games. I want to see where we’re at with Arian. It’s hard on the offensive line, it’s hard on the backs, hard on me as a play caller as far as who’s in the game, what runs are best to run in those situations. It would be easier if we had more than 47 plays. We’ve got some time this weekend to evaluate.”

LOL, Tannehill is the 8th ranked QB in our FFL and he’s available. Better than Cousins. LMAO!!!!

I think being a Dolphins fan is like being in The Twilight Zone. 😉

MikeE,
    There is no “Tannehill bandwagon” anymore. It’s a little radio flyer…room enough for one 5 year old. You can pull it if you like though. Lol

No thanks, but I think I’m a little more tolerant of him, and able to realize he’s not as bad as too many here think he is.

I just don’t think he is good enough to treat as a franchise QB

its not that he is horrible
        its just that he’s not good

I have Cousins in 2 leagues, and Tannehill in another. In my keeper league, I drafted Wentz, and now he’s my starter, with Cousins as the backup. In my other league, I had Manning and Cousins, but I dropped Manning and picked up Wentz. The one I have Tannehill, I also have the hated Tom Brady. lol

If I didn’t need Sunday Ticket to watch Dolphins games, I could get cable or FioS and save myself some $$$. I’m getting closer to not having Direct TV every season.

You can stream games easy with pretty good quality these days. 🙂

It’s a thought man. I like DirecTV for the most part, but in poor weather, it’s very unreliable, and that drives me crazy. Admittedly, I love being able to watch ALL the games that are on also, especially w/FF

Piggy

How do we treat him like a franchise QB? You mean because we gave him a bigger contract? At the time they did that, it was definitely the right move. He was on the upswing. With QB’s, you can never just let them walk if you think they might be the guy.

I think we are trying to build a team built for a high octane passing attack

He was on the upswing two years ago
      last year he regressed

I really don’t know what we did this offseason

If that’s the case, I think we’re building it around the wrong QB. I don’t think he’s that guy. He doesn’t have the field awareness, and the ability to be the guy who throws it all over the field 35 times a game. I think he can be more like an Alex Smith type player, and there’s nothing wrong with that, Alex Smith is a good QB. I think he needs a balanced offense, where he’s not expected to carry the entire offense.

‘Try to be one of those D’s with a great D and a good enough running game that Doughty doesn’t have to do too much early on. IMO, it’s going to take much less time to develop him than Tannehill. Tannehill just ain’t getting it. The light isn’t coming on for him.’

lol lou,

so lets build up every aspect of the team for a 57th round pick with a weak arm, but expect thill to do it all on his own. yep you are perfectly rationale with your hatred of him.

32. Al in MIA says:

I guess we can blame Bill Lazor for the offense…

MikeE,
    I think he’ll be a backup in this league in a couple years, so I’m not all that concerned about it. Lol

Brian,
    Dare I say for the 1000th time that it is the PLAYERS! Lol

MikeE,
    Oooh, John Beck! I actually thought he might be a good QB when we drafted him. Poor bastard never had a chance. He was thrown to the wolves.

Gase insists that pocket awareness can be taught
      So I think he thinks there is room to salvage what we have in Tannehill

September 30, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Gase insists that pocket awareness can be taught

he better hope and a whole lot more can be taught.

September 30, 2016 at 4:33 pm

——————————————–
    I disagree Mike. The beauty of Alex Smith (i felt wierd just saying that) is that he makes very few mistakes.Alex smith isnt holding the ball out there for the defense to swat away. He isnt standing there with guys collapsing around him and he has an avenue to step up. Only way that they are comparable is that they neither have dynamic play ability and can take a team on their shoulders and carry them to a W. What we have here is an guy who might could backup Alex Smith but you wouldnt want him to have to be your guy for many games in a row. Tanny flashes a lot of good things but even the things he is the best at, he isnt consistent with.

That Stills throw for example, yeah you could get happy about it, but its not consistent. I also dont believe it was a particularly great throw. Stills had to break off the route, and then Tanny throws behind him enough he had to really slow down to make the catch. Brady/Rodgers/etc, hell even Smith hits him on that blown coverage play in stride. That literally was a tee ball play, and his throw still didnt look crisp.

Ive seen him throw some really pretty passes, im not denying his good throws, but he has some real stinkers too and you just cant ignore them either. Im just tired of getting any hope up when i see him do something good only to be disappointed next series or maybe even next pass, who knows. Thats not at all Alex Smith, Smith is never going to get a standing ovation for his play, but he is probably going to every play get something a little stronger than a golf clap lol.

Piggy,
    I think guys can improve their pocket awareness to a certain extent. But, I also think it’s one of those things that you’re either good at or you’re not. Tannehill has been receiving the best coaching in the world for many years. It’s not like Gase is the first coach to ever work with Tannehill on this issue. It’s been an obvious problem for him since college, and he hasn’t improved much in all these years. He’s got the athleticism, so is it mental? Is it because he didn’t grow up playing QB as several ex-QBs have suggested?
    ***
    All that said, our OL didn’t help him much lastnight. Turner and Bushrod particularly got their asses handed to them.

‘Brady/Rodgers/etc, hell even Smith hits him on that blown coverage play in stride.’

yeah but they arent married to lauren.

this throw from piggy’s link above was horrible. WTF is he doing there.

Disgusting
      It really is.
      If James gets benched for sack
      Then…

Gets benched for a sack and a hurry….. both of which were only partially his fault, infact when i really looked at them, only because he is a statue in the pocket, do those even happen.

R1P10 Jalen Tabor CB UF
    R2P10 Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
    R3P10 Jarrad Davis ILB/OLB UF
    R4P10 Travin Dural WR LSU
    R5P10 Jeremy Sprikle TE Arkansas
    R6P10 Riley Bullough ILB Michigan State
    R7P10 Louis Neal DE LSU
    ——————————————————-
    Priority FA targets, Jamie Collins and Kevin Zeitler.

Would you trade:

Tannehill for Flacco straight up

Tannehill and our 1st for Bortles

Tannehill for deez nuts

finfanrob says:
    September 30, 2016 at 5:40 pm

yeah but they arent married to lauren.
    ————————————–
    Thats true, so maybe he should just stick to his night job…. Its not a bad one and he seems ok at it, or at least havent heard any tabloid rumors that he is ill equipped to deal with penetration there.

D, it would be tough to give up a 1st but even if there was a chance it would be that easily and more really.

Oh i know it would cost us that, i just dont think we could afford it from our current perspective. Id rather take a chance with Doughty until we could get back around to the draft and pick up a guy. Doughty does ok for us we take a CB or LB in the first, if he doesnt we take a QB, like Kaaya who would be my preference for us in this years draft. Id settle for Kelly in the second IF we could get Tabor for our secondary.

Turner has no business being on the field at the OG position. He cannot play OG. He doesnt understand the mechanics of it, he still operates like an OT with his footwork, he is just not an OG in the least. We would have been better with DT in thereat LG than turner, and even then you could have expected him to have at least a couple plays where Atkins put him on roller skates.

So funny, another man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Bortles. Dude has 41 INT’s in 2 seasons +3 games, AND, a spectacular 8-24 record, but yeah, let’s slobber on his knob. I bet he could throw even more INT’s here. Let’s trade Tannehill and Suh for Bortles and Day. SB here we come!

I think Tannehill is terrible to just really bad but I still wouldn’t trade him for Bortles. That’s like hating beer but drinking O’Douls. Just a total waste of time… Bortles could be his twin at this point. Maybe Siemian is worth a low trade but I really don’t know of any possibly solid QBs that will be available. We just need to draft one again.

September 30, 2016 at 6:30 pm

you are so dumb mike. i have no idea why people even ask you questions. what you are missing in the trade is laurens a cups for bortles gf’s DD’s. geeeeeeeeze and people think you know football

Mike I said I like Bortles I didn’t say he didn’t need some work too but he is still in the development stage, Tanny is 5 years into a career

Bortles is the next Favre in the right situation. Jax is a ways away. We’re closer and Gase would love him.

I think true staying caliber QBs don’t get traded, at least not at a major cost. I’d prefer drafting one. I was just commenting on my preference of Bortles over Tanny at this point

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 30, 2016 at 7:21 pm

We have to draft one of every position on the team.

there that is more sounding like the fix this team needs

M13 get your ass on here

Come join us guys.
    Walker you know you’re my nekka !

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 30, 2016 at 8:14 pm

I didn’t say any of that

yeah i know i was just correcting you. if you think this team is just a qb away then you are just trolling. i get you have some deep seeded hatred of tanny, he the guy is average at best, but if you think he is the only thing this team needs then like i said, you are just trolling.

you boy suh is going down as the biggest FA bust in the history of the league but you keep blaming just the qb. have fun with that one.

Watch the games Suh and Jones are our best players on defense.
      I really don’t hate Tannehill but he hurts more than he helps enough already. Some guys have it some don’t. He don’t. Leaves to many plays on the field. Squanders too many opportunities.

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 30, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Bortles is the next Favre in the right situation.

you need to share whatever the fuck it is you are drinking with us

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 30, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Watch the games Auh and Jones are our best players on defense.

lmfao, yeah and thill is one of the best players on offense, but that dont mean shit cause they all still suck. who cares such is one of the best players on defense, it is a def last in the league in most categories, they suck. he is the biggest FA bust in the history of the nfl.

Jaworski would say Tannehill doesn’t keep our offense on schedule

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 30, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Bortles is a crazy mother fucker. He will sling some shit up and beat your ass with it.

yep sure. i mean he is tearing it up in jax. lmfao

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 30, 2016 at 8:28 pm

That’s fine if that makes you feel good

lmao, what makes me feel good left about 5 hours ago, i am now stuck your your fucking ass.

Rob, did you see all those guys taking Cousins for their fantasy teams?

Cause
    Others
    Understand
    Son
    Is
    Never
    Slackin’

I say we keep Tunsil at LT and slide Albert inside to LG. What have we got to lose at this point.

Tannehill, Dallas Thomas, Ajayi, Duarte and our 1st for Bortles and Telvin let’s do this.

D,
    That’s pretty optimistic with the 10th pick…

So where do we go from here?
    We’d have to go 8-4 just to finish above .500.
    Anyone think we can?

Steelers, Ravens, Pats, Stej twice, Bills twice
    There’s 7 tough wins to get right there.

Should have used this one.
    Check it out

Always liked this one . . .

Bortles isn’t as bad a pick machine as Jax is forcing him to be, he’s pressing there but he’s a play maker.

Remember this one on your radio?

Remember this before NFL games? I loved the song before the NFL, was always a big ELO fan

This what I’m into now, this song is my crack

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 30, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Rob, did you see all those guys taking Cousins for their fantasy teams?

lmfao i know you lost it when you are comparing fantasy team owners and who they pick

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 30, 2016 at 9:02 pm

lmmfao, dude. i just love your logic. you are like the guy who lives in a trailer and since he takes off the wheels and puts the trailer on cinder blocks says he lives in a block house

Here you go Mike
    Get yer foot to stompin

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 30, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Did you just drive by?

bitch i would not drive by, if i was there i am stopping and making you fix me a damn drink.

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 30, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Anytime, I might even get the good stuff out for you.
    Fireball!!!!!!!

lmfao, hell cool. i will even take out my good stuff for you……..fireballs

‘Go behind the scenes at the #MDCSwimsuit Fashion Show.’

i did, trust me i did, and now i have even another restraining order.

LMAO @ Rob

Goodnight guys/girls! Have to get up way too early for work tomorrow, and this has been a bitch of a week. I’m in OT already.

3 weeks to my first fest. Really looking forward to meeting everyone.

85. dcoralsprings says:

What a mess huh ?
    I had questions about a couple of units
    Turns out there’s trouble with every unit lol

I’m not blaming the system, it’s a proven offense
    Not blaming Gase, think he (is) can be a really good coach
    But man the O is really bad…..really just bad

Don’t know where to go from here but I kind of expect a wholesale gut of this current roster is on its way

There are just a lot of holes to fix

Maybe during the course of the season we are able to emphasize strengths and reduce the effect of our weaknesses

I don’t think we are fixing holes pp

DCoral

Good to see ya pop on bud!

It certainly is a mess brother. We can’t go much further down from here, so I guess all we can do is go up. Then again, we can lose the next 12, and seal the fate of a lot of players here that will soon be former Miami Dolphins

son of a son of a shula says:
    September 30, 2016 at 9:02 pm

LMAO! and Tannehill’s pocket presence isn’t as bad as the O-line is forcing it to be.

I think ALL the players are better than this. I don’t get why they aren’t putting it together into a better team effort. Is it coaching? Do they just need more time to gel? I don’t think they have much confidence. If they could get going earlier in games I think they could build on it. Or maybe we really just suck?

Who is on the Dolphins in 2017 if there is a roster gut

I think most of the 1st and 2nd year players are safe
    And our best players should be kept even at a high salary: Suh, Landry & jones

I would keep players like McCain, Lippett, Hewitt and the other udfa LBs from a year ago, damien Williams and Simms

I would probably keep Older bets like Wake and Williams and I would keep juwann James despite his season so far

But guys defiantly on the bubble: Misi, Jenkins, maxwell, Albert, Pouncey, branch, Jones, stills, Tannehill, Cameron (is probably gone)

I don’t expect a lot of change over
    I think you Re better served by brining in talent via the draft

But there are some guys that could be beneficial to cut to clear salary

Too early to do this. Things could change significantly before the end of the season

• the team needs to trade Pouncey since so many see him as an elite C around the league. With Steen playing so well and so many good C’s going to be available 2nd rd next season I say get a 1st for him and use it to build the D.
      if they get a DE and LB in the 1st it will go a long way to solidifying the D for the future and get the team going in the right direction.

Bills claimed Justin Hunter

91. I really understand what Tim and others are saying about there being problems in other areas on the team and it seems like I’m beating a dead horse when I’m talking about the shortcomings of the qb with the other issues BUT, and it’s a BIG but, Tannehill is responsible for the majority of the issues on the offensive side of the ball.
    Disagree if you wish but teams line up against us to stop our run game because we don’t have a qb they fear. They are basically saying to us that until your qb proves he can get us to back off we will play your run strong and dare Tannehill to beat us because we feel that he can’t. He’s never proven he can beat the blitz. If he did, teams would back off but he can’t do it so they bring pressure.
    So, you stack the D against the run so we can’t run the ball and dare Tannehill to beat you and until he does we ain’t backing off.
    He sits back there in the pocket. They know he’s not a threat to run. Not a threat to run you say? He led the team in rushing. Yes, he did. On designed runs. But, under normal circumstances he’s not beating you with his feet. He won’t step up in the pocket to buy time and then try to run with the ball if there’s room to run. He won’t step up and slide to the right or slide to the left to buy time. He stands back there like a dead duck and defenses know it so they don’t fear him like they do a Rodgers, Wilson or even a Dalton who moves around very well in the pocket.
    They know Tannehill will just stand there and not move. They know he can’t get rid of the ball quickly; or won’t, and they know about his accuracy issues too. So, again, they are going to say “let him beat us and then we will play it like you have a qb who CAN beat us. Until then, we’ll just shut down your run game and take our chances with your qb.”
    That’s it in a nutshell. Disagree if you want but it’s the truth and sometimes the truth hurts.

I’ll disagree first, I’m sure there will be more to follow. Other teams stick to the running game, and they will run it 40 times for 100 yards, even when it’s not working. We run the ball 8-15 times a game, so we MAKE ourselves one dimensional, not the defense Lou. That’s where you’re way off.

• And I’ll disagree with you. Especially in the last game. How many times did we have the ball on offense. How many 3 and out’s did we have? When you move the ball consistently on offense you have a chance to run the ball more but when you’re qb can’t convert an easy 3rd and 5 or shorter because he sucks to continue the drive you don’t have a chance to run your offense.
        That’s where YOU’RE way off Mike.

• We run the ball on first and 2nd down. get 3 yds each time. 3rd and 4. we throw it and can’t convert. Well?

3 and outs because we dropped back 3 times, threw an incompletion on 1st down, got sacked on 2nd, and then it was 3rd and long, and not many teams convert those. If teams know we won’t commit to the run, and like Thursday, they can get through our O-line like a hot knife through butter, it makes it easy to stop us.

• and, like I said, disagree if you want but the lack of a passing game is what hurts our run game. defenses DO NOT fear Tannehill so they play our run strong and dare him to beat them and he can’t do it.
        so, yes, it is the D that forces us to become one dimensional because they are lining up against us strong vs the run and force us to change out of a running play and throw it and they know Tannehill can’t beat them. Face it, he sucks.

• that’s bullshit Mike and you know it. we weren’t throwing the ball all three downs. it’s a ridiculous comment and you’re making excuses for a failed qb.

92. Face it. If I’m a DC I’m loving it when we play Miami because I know I can keep my LB’s close to the line and bring up a safety to play the run strong because they have a qb that can’t beat me. I’ll put my cb’s one on one with their wr’s and if they go 3 or 4 wide I don’t care because I know how long it takes Tannehill to process and by that time we’re going to either get to him or force him to throw it early and off target.
    Read it and weep.

Lou

8 times we ran the ball. EIGHT.

We had 11 possessions Lou, so that means there had to be at least a few of those. There was one where we ran twice, which leaves 6 for the other 10 possessions, and I can tell you the first one, where we scored the TD, we passed twice. Who’s full of shit?

I don’t feel any better today. I’m still pissed at the way these guys played.

I agree with Lou and its what Randy has been saying too that teams defend us telling Tannestiff to beat us and he can’t ever do it. I still don’t see him getting out of bad plays. They sacked him late from an overloaded right side and instead of going away from it with either a sprint out or a pitch to the back no he sets up (tries to) straight back and gets pummeled.

I have QB fatigue

Ireland actually DID set this franchise back 5 years. It’s usually conjecture when you hear that but we are seeing it play out.

Aside from Tannehill, this OL has been a mess. While I do see improvement, they’re still not consistently good. Even when teams are loading the box, let your balls drop and start smacking some assholes in the mouth. We still play way too passive. Bushrod should go back to tackle. He has no business playing guard. He’s overmatched in terms of strength. Turner continues to be a disappointment, and I never thought he was that good to begin with. I’d put Thomas back at LG….yeah, I know…but Turner is getting beaten physically and mentally.
    ***
    Yes, teams play us a certain way because of Tannehill’s weaknesses. I’d like to see us try to run more. But, if you are constantly trying to block a man or two down, it’s not going to work. This is where I have an issue with Gase. We have yet to establish any identity on offense. What do we do well? What’s our bread and butter plays? Practice something until you get good at it…and carry it over to games. We seem too frenetic….always rushed(partly due to how teams play us)…but we never seem to dictate play. We are always on our heels and reacting. You can’t win that way. I guess I just expected more from Gase. But, ultimately these players need to start executing…that starts in practice. I’m still waiting on Gase…too early to fully evaluate him yet…but man…do something!

It looked like Gase made some adjustments and maybe got the team fired up last week with the big shot for an early lead then it all just fizzled. That missed 3rd down throw was a big kick in the nards.

I agree with Lou too. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/sfl-hyde10-ten-thoughts-on-the-dolphins-loss-to-bengals-20160930-story.html

Dave Hyde shows every third down we had in the game. There were 11 of them and 6 of them were 3rd and 5 or less. You have to convert the easy 3rd downs. Some of this was really bad OL play but the guy has no escape ability. They mentioned on the radio that he lettered in like 5-6 sports in HS. Michael Bennett said he was probably the most athletic guy on their team in Texas. Yet this guy doesn’t escape pressure and just stands there many times.

Mike E,

We ran 13 times but when you aren’t converting the easy 3rd downs…you eventually get really behind where you can’t run anymore. We had 5 passes for more than 9 yards. We had 3 runs for more than 9 yards. Shouldn’t we expect better passing? Especially with 3 tipped passes and a horrible int? I just don’t see the improvement especially in Year 5.

Not 13, EIGHT. I don’t even know what an easy 3rd down is, we never have them

13 for 62. 4.8 yds. Not bad considering we fell behind.

I can’t remember where I read it, but they were saying Dolphins receivers are running lousy routes, not running them correctly. I know it’s easy to just blame the QB, everyone seems to be doing it, and he deserves some blame for sure, but it’s not like you plug anyone else in this offense and it’s going to work really well. I just don’t think if we continue to be so unbalanced, and not be able to pass protect, it’s not going to go well for any QB.

• New Age says:

Mike E,

I agree it’s not all on Tannehill. At the same time, he’s had three different systems, multiple different WRs and TEs, and the same bad mistakes keep coming up. Tipped passes, bad ints, lousy pocket presence, more maneuverability. He’s too talented for this to keep being an issue but it is.

OK, when I looked at the game stats, they only showed Ajayi and Drake, which added up to 8. Now I see Williams had 2 rushes for 9, and Pead 3 rushes for 5 yards.

• New Age says:

The lack of a true main RB hurts too. Nothing is working right but it’s really, really disparaging when the QB keeps having the same issues going into year 5. Kid is too smart and talented for this to keep happening. He just doesn’t have the right training? or whatever to evolve.

Hacksaw Ridge looks like its gonna be really good

We had a 18.2% conversion rate on 3rd downs against the Bengals. We’re dead last in the league on 3rd down conversions at 26.7%. We’ve sucked on 3rd down for the last forever. You can’t run the ball consistently if you don’t convert 3rd downs because you don’t run enough plays. We’ve had this problem for years. We had a number of 3rd downs of 5 or less last game and couldn’t convert enough. I’ve said it in years past, and I’ll say it again, Tanny just doesn’t make enough plays on the money downs, he never has. It’s not all him, this whole team is garbage, but the whole team being garbage includes Tanny in my book.

It’s a new system on both sides of the ball. You expect growing pains. The best we can hope for this year is the team will start to improve, and we’ll see things tighten up and get better, then add pieces in the off season, and hope. I don’t know if Tanny is good enough, but can he be? Not sure, lol. It’s exactly why on Boulder’s spreadsheet I said our offense will struggle and we still won’t have a definitive ‘answer’ on Tanny. If he shows just enough, we can attribute everything to new system, new players, and hope he gets better. I just don’t have confidence he is ever going to get better on the pressure downs consistently enough regardless of how the team is playing.

Mets win!
    Mets win!
    Mets win !

It’s pandemonium in Jersey

LET’S GO METS!!!

I think Tannehill . . . AH fuck Tannehill!!! LET’S GO METS!!! LET’S GO METS!!! LET’S GO METS!!!

Mets nut-up and fight to make the playoffs. Dolphins ????

Im glad the Mets got in. I was worried earlier in the year and they haven’t been going enough the past 25 years for me to take it for granted. I am pulling for the Cubs this year though if the Mets lose. That team needed some loving a long time ago

Michigan kicker 0-3 on Fg’s

sometimes I’m not sure the phins could beat some of these good college teams.

I just went down to the basement to get a bottle of wine, and I look at the stupid new Dolphins fathead, and I think to myself, “why did I buy that?” I hate that I have to think that way. This team better get it’s shit together!

…does anybody remember laughter…

wow, watched the fsu game, if that isnt the worst coached team in football i would hate to see the other team. dumbo fisher has to be one of the worst coaches ever. good thing lsu fan is close to bourbon street, they are gonna need it when they take him

Congrats to the Mets fans! My Badgers had a chance to pull the upset thanks to Michigan apparently using the Browns kicker this week.

‘I really enjoy wAtchimg these college games……takes my mind off of watching crappy NFL Football, well at least for ONE team.’

bookman,

if you like fsu you would never say that. thank goodness my daughter is in england and didnt have to suffer thru another dumbo fisher stink fest.

The Ok/TCU game has 80 combined points early in the 4th. I think Tom Olivadotti is the “D” Coordinator for both teams.

October 1, 2016 at 6:29 pm
    I was thinking about getting a new hat or something for the fest game, but the 1-3 start has made me think of saving my money,

Mets clinch, PSU wins in OT. At least my weekend has been salvaged.

bookman11 says:
    October 1, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Yeah, I was flipping back and forth to that game. Feel bad for you FDU fans. Wild game to watch though.

no no, FDU works. fucking dumbo univ

When I live in Orlando in the mid to late 80’s, there was nothing like those UM/FSU games. Those were my football watching glory years with Marino in his prime and all.

bookman11 says:
    October 1, 2016 at 8:52 pm

LOL

At least they can salvage something if they beat Miami?

the way my football watching goes they probably will. just to ruin the rest of miami’s season

Football is he Devils sports

First the Dolphins
    Now FSU

Fuck you world

I changed my avatar to comeback pig for the 4 game home stand

Hopefully it works

bookman11 says:
    October 1, 2016 at 9:17 pm

No way, road teams are never going to win in that stadium again

lol, stop hogging all the good stuff, pass some of that shit around you are drinking

piggy,

fsu is proof, bad coaching will always fail no matter how good the players are. i said it before, the only defense that can stop dalvin cook is dumbo fisher.

this kid marlon mack from usf is not a bad rb. anybody else ever see him play.

October 1, 2016 at 9:49 pm

I guess he’s not gong to LSU

not if lsu wants to win championships

Wooohoooo!!! The Herd is coming back on Pitt!!!

bookman11 says:
    October 1, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Didn’t he win one in 2013?

cause they got lucky on a fluke loss by bama and didnt have to play them.

i admit i just dont like the guy, i think he did bobby bowden wrong in his last season. i also do think he is a bad game caller. he thinks he is some qb guru and doesnt use his biggest talent right. but i do get it, he knows way more about football then i do but what is the fun of that, i would rather just keep having fun calling him dumbo fisher.

Actually maybe it’s 2013

How did he wrong Bowden FfRob?

bookman11 says:
    October 1, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Fair enough, appears to be sound logic LOL

lmfao, now that is a first. me and logic. trust me if i had any i wouldnt be a dolphin fan.

132. Mike,
    It doesn’t matter what we did on offense. The fact of the matter remains that Tannehill is a mediocre qb who defenses do not fear and as long as he’s the qb the offense will never be any good and put points up on the board on a consistent basis the way we need it to in order to win.
    He’s 95% of the reason the offense sputters. He can’t get it done. Never has and never will.
    Will replacing him fix the issues on both sides of the ball? No. but replacing him will fix the majority of the problems on the offensive side of the ball. Having a qb who can just put the ball on the receiver like he needs to will make all the difference in the world.
    He shows little in the way of promise. If a guy works as hard and studies as hard as everyone says he does and he’s still playing as poorly as he is the light is never going to come on. He’s a 5th yr qb already. Time to move on and stop wasting time with this panty waste.

October 1, 2016 at 10:28 pm

How did he wrong Bowden FfRob?

piggy,

just my opinion here. no facts involved. but fsu had a good recruiting class and bowden wanted one more year. i think he kind of forced the schools hand and sent him into retirement a year before he wanted. what bowden did for the school he deserved it. i admit only opinion i am probably way way way off but like i said just like calling him dumbo fisher.

i do think he misuses the best rb in college but like i said before what the hell do i know, i am sitting on my sofa watching the game he is living and breathing fsu football.

can say this, sure wouldnt mind seeing cook in a dolphin uniform next year.

this kid jackson is a good college qb, but as a pro havent we all seen this before. RGIII

Lou

I feel like I’m on a treadmill in hell with this convo, but as long as I’m on it, i guess I’ll continue. Let me start with this, I don’t love Tannehill, I don’t think he’s a great QB, I’m not even sure if he can ever be a better than average QB, which is pretty much what he was his first 3 seasons (AVG), then a little step backwards last year to below average, albeit on a team that itself was below average or worse in many categories, and not just on offense.

My hope is that someone, some coach, some OC will realize that this is the case, and try to make him a better QB, but start by helping him do the things he can do well, and realize that if we have to throw the ball 35 times, that’s not helping Tannehill. Realistically, we don’t have his replacement on the roster. I know you think Doughty, Moore, heck, anyone on the roster would be better than Tannehill, but I don’t think so. We paid him for what they thought he “could be”, and I hope he can be better than average, but the game plan needs to help him get there. If we have a balanced offense, where we run effectively, and it’s not a more than 2:1 ratio of pass to run, I think he can do well. Let’s get a few games like that, and then if he’s playing well, and you need that game where he has to win it by throwing 35 times, have at it. If he can’t handle that, or he shows no improvement anywhere this season, it’s time to move on. I’m all for it, if it’s a necessity. I have nothing tied to Tannehill other than he IS our QB, we paid him, and I hope he succeeds.

On the morning of Oct. 25 last year, the Kansas City Chiefs awoke to a 1-5 record. Their roster seemed to lack talent. Their coaching staff seemed to lack answers. Their fans lacked hope.

And despite venom in the media and a bleak outlook for the remainder of the season, the Chiefs rallied. They didn’t lose again in authoring an 11-5 regular-season record.

It can happen.

Tony Dungy started his NFL coaching career with five consecutive losses. Joe Gibbs started his NFL coaching career with five consecutive losses. Jimmy Johnson started his NFL coaching career with a 1-15 record.

Dungy and Gibbs are in the Hall of Fame. Johnson won two Super Bowls and was the architect of a team so dominant it won another Super Bowl even after he departed.

It can happen.

I say this not to suggest the Dolphins — your Miami Dolphins — are about to turn things around in such epic proportions. I’m not predicting that. I’m not raising expectations to those levels.

But this team can get better.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article105434016.html#storylink=cpy

I think it’s time to start considering we can do better at QB. Don’t care if you are pro Tanny or anti, the guy isn’t the worst QB we have had, but that not the point. Point is we need better to help us over the hump.

People say will look at what’s around him, and you sorta have a point but how hard is it to replace everyone else to make him just average. He isn’t going to be elite even if he has elite all the way around him. There are reasons trans try to get their guy at QB and THEN build around him, because it’s next to impossible to do it the other way around. I know it sucks to think that after so many years of trying to find a guy and then getting a guy with promise to realize fuck we go to do this all over, but if you just keep riding with that guy because you are scared to try for better, you are just locking yourself into this lever of interior play. This isn’t good enough for my team, we need better.

Jarvis Landry, Parker and really our true starters on OK would be adequate for most true staying caliber QBs. We need to keep trying to get one. We are just plain stupid for not having tried harder over the past few years.

I’m done with Tanny this was a make or break year for me with him. Ride the first 3 years really fighting against his critics because I saw improvement. Last year I was like man I was wrong and I really started looking at what we had and found I really didn’t like what I saw. I have him benefit of the doubt when it came out that philbin and he were at odds, but maybe philbin was right afterall. They structured his contract for a what if philbin is right, and I think this year is showing it might be perfect timing to exercise it.

D

I think Tannehill easily has the most talented Offensive weapons he’s ever had to work with this season. Just keep in mind who his HC was , where that HC is now, and who his receivers were in year 1. HC Joe Philbin, WR’s Brian Hartline , Davone Bess, (R) Rishard Matthews, Marlon Moore and Jabar Gafney, and TE Anthony Fasano, and H-back (R) Charles Clay. The next year brought Mike Wallace, and the development of Charles Clay, but the O-line, if you could call it that, Jonathan Martin at LT, Incognito LG, Pouncey C, Jerry RG and Tyson Clabo RT. Clabo was a freaking turnstile, and Martin wasn’t much better until we got Bryant McKinnie from the Ravens.

I think Gase is doing a lot more roster evaluation than he is trying to win games right now. Sounds crazy, but if you look at what he’s doing, it’s hard to argue against that. I’m not going to convince you that Tannehill still deserves a chance, but if we have to invest in drafting what you would say is a potential top 10 QB, we’re going have to that at the expense of defense again. I’d like to see Gase really game plan and use his best players out there, stick with a RB for 1 game, and see what we can do.