Game Day – Dolphins @ Ravens – Week 13

ravens

1,021 Responses to Game Day – Dolphins @ Ravens – Week 13

My fear moving forward this season is that we got exposed on defense the last two weeks.

Brian,

We did. We don;t have the talent on that side of the ball and Baltimore exposed it. I’m wanting to see how Joseph responds.

‘Who cares? I am just enjoying it’

well duh, i kind of do thus the reason i said it. just a matter of my opinion vs yours, no one is telling you not to enjoy it

lets just hope gase is the coach. there was one guy that played on some mafia show that had a great first year then fell on his face.

i will say however this team looks better coached then the pasta man

For me, it wasn’t just about winning or losing. I felt this game was a litmus test for this team, to see if they stack up against a decent team that is well coached. The resounding answer was NO. If we lost 23-20, or something like that, in a hard fought game we were in the entire game, I wouldn’t be nearly as disappointed as the embarrassing performance we gave today. Like I said, the defense set the tone early, by showing them the field was theirs to take, but we could have responded on offense, but failed miserable there too. We didn’t belong on the same field today, and that’s what kills me. Not that we lost, but how poorly we lost.

I’m interested to see how the team responds after this loss, do they crawl up into the fetal position for the rest of then season, or do they come out angry, and kick the shit out of the Cardinals. We’ll see next week.

BOOKMAN’s prediction (38-13 Baltimore) nearly nailed it! –OUCH!!

Mike E,

This reminds me of that Baltimore playoff loss. We were winning close games with meager talent and had an amazingly weak schedule. That was also the last time we had a decent win streak. This team is bad and Gase is doing good to hide flaws but I don’t know if the guys we have can actually stand up when it counts. So far, for over 15 years, the answer is a resounding NO as you mentioned.

What it reminds me of is every time in the last few years when were at that point where we need one win to get into the playoffs, and then we got completely undressed by the opposing team, no matter how good or bad that team was.

mike

to be fair shouldnt this loss count as much as those ugly wins? every one here kept saying they dont care about ugly wins but now it is okay to care about ugly losses?

(not being a dick just seeing if there is a difference)

Rob

To me there’s a difference. I would be upset and disappointed either way, but the disappointment would only be about the loss, not about the fact that we didn’t belong on the field today. I just didn’t expect such a bad performance from our team with Gase as HC. I guess I expect too much.

mike

i get that just i also get it win or lose. the last game and the rams win, i didnt think the fins deserved on the field. play like shit no matter the out come of the game you still played like shit

So we are one game back of Denver in the WC race.

Bronco’s next games are against Titans, Pats, Chiefs and Raiders. Season is far from over.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

Do you really think the defense is a playoff type defense? I really don’t see a playoff team here. I would be happy with 9-7. That’ll exceed my expectations for the season.

Look at who we play. Think 9-7 is the worst we do. Not like we have a different D than the one that got us six in a row. That one had serious flaws as well.

Good news is that Rock can lose his orange hat, Bookman can predict us to win, Herd can walk around in smelly clothes, I can lose my aqua shirts, Tim can start some kind of game day ritual, and we get a “What Make Hulk Angry ” article this week. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh, and Brian can now make any score prediction that he wants, pro Dolphins or otherwise.

bookman11 says:
    December 4, 2016 at 5:45 pm (Edit)

Lol.
    I actually havenโ€™t washed my 17 Jersey in 3 weeks because of the streak

No wonder they have you your own special spot at the bar.

What Bookman smells like at the bar . . .

Lol…you guys are awsome

bookman puts the ewey in the dewey decimal system

18. 81Howie says:

ALLRIGHT MACGYVER
    Is coming to Me TV.
    Hope its on at game time for the next 4 weeks

81Howie says:
    December 4, 2016 at 6:15 pm

ALLRIGHT MACGYVER
    Is coming to Me TV.
    Hope its on at game time for the next 4 weeks

sorry howie but i dont even think macgyver can rig up this defense to save the day

20. 81Howie says:

December 4, 2016 at 5:43 pm

———————-
    that work out to well for all them weirdos this week ๐Ÿ˜‰

21. 81Howie says:

A little Duct tape and a swiss army knife a the middle of the field will be closed off

Here’s how to get on the bad side of your special teams coach.
    ——————-
    After a scoreless first quarter, 49ers punt returner Dontae Johnson appeared to run one back for a score to end the scoreless tie. Johnson then capped off the would-be TD with a snow-angel celebration that earned him a flag.

The only problem? Johnson stepped out of bounds at the 4-yard line. So not only was it no touchdown, but now the ball was at the 19-yard line. Three plays and 6 yards gained later, the 49ers were forced to settle for a field goal.

• Brian in NY says:

Why would he get flagged for a snow angel? Ine if the Packers did that too and he didn’t get flagged. The red should be fined for that. It’s one of the best TD celebrations!

The cardinals are looking pretty good

Ok. Heading out for my over priced $75 Berns steak. No dolphin win and over priced steak for the win

Man, we got our cocks kicked in and our dicks knocked in the dirt today.

MANY (including me) observed during the 1-4 start that this team had lack-of-talent issues at many positions, including LB, DB and the O-Line. Every Dolphin weakness was exposed by a good coaching staff (led by John Harbaugh) and a really good QB who was playing his best game of the season today (Flacco). Add to that the almost total absence of a pass rush and you’ve got
    a formula for disaster.

Well, disaster delivered in spades!!

But, don’t kid yourselves. Carson Palmer IS NOT Joe Flacco. Not every star will align for Arizona as it seemed to for the Ravens today. Another week of action for Tunsil and Albert will help. An angry and focussed Adam Gase will study the films and make adjustments. Practices will be TOUGH this week.

Miami might be, and should be, favored over the Cardinals this coming Sunday. These guys have pride (if NOT an abundance of talent). The D-Line will pressure and sack Carson Palmer. Jay Ajayi will run for 100 yards. Kiko will play the entire game! This pissed-off group of Dolphins will be LOOKING FOR CONTACT!!

AND, most of all, those playing with their heads up their asses will be told to take a seat. Gase just HATES STUPID PLAYS AND STUPID PENALTIES!

HOWIE — HOWIE — HOWIE
    Mia-27 Ariz-17 Dolphins prepare for the Jets by crushing the Crudinals!

Thank you OD. John Harbaugh was on fire this game. Saw the chess moves back from Gase, but his folks did it and once it got out of hand didn’t matter what was going on. We got a good one though.

So much for the theory a loss would make the blog busier.

HERD: Well then you’ll just have to go out and get another warning, I guess! –This old Dolfan is OUT for the night.

It looks like Manitoba will see another week in his survivor pool.

29. 81Howie says:

First Update
    DOLPHINS CARDINALS
    Old 27-17 MIA
    Howie 30-24 MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

30. so now I’ve heard it all. Parker was responsible for the 1st int. that’s rich

Sooooo…. how about those Dolphins?

It’s just football.

Lardarius Webb made a great play on Tannehill’s first INT. Maybe Parker could have been more aggressive going for the ball, maybe Tannehill shouldn’t have thrown it, but I give Webb credit for making the play

Some ironies in my FF matchup this week. I had the MIA DEF, and my opponent had the BAL DEF, so we know who won out there. I also had Landry and Ajayi in there, and they both did OK, Landry better than Ajayi in a PPR setup. He’s a Jets fan, and I’m down 5 points going into MNF, and I have Brandon Marshall going tonight.

Well this monday sucks compared to the last few. What sucks the most is that this team was exposed. We’re not anywhere close to being a real playoff contender.

You know what, that was my immediate reaction as well. I think what they do this Sunday will be more telling. If they can bounce back and play a strong game against the Cardinals, and that will not be an easy game, then it will show me this team has resolve. If they get their asses kicked again, then we’ll know for sure what you think now.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

Cardinal are playing well. I thought the redskins were a pretty solid team until yesterday. The cards made them look pretty ordinary.

We didn’t belong on the same field as the ravens yesterday. Even if we beat the cards, I don’t think right now we’re a contender. As we’ve been saying for a couple of decades now, wait till next year.

If the defense allows 2 tds on their 1st 2 drives there is not much any offense can do against baltimore’s defense to keep up. I put this loss squarely on defense. They played like they did against the pats and bengals. Not good enough for postseason.

No excuse for the offense though. If they score, then we score, it just didn’t happen that way. I do agree that the defense set the tone how this game was going to go. We had no answer for anything they did.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I thought this was going to be low scoring game. I didn’t think our defense was just gonna allow Flacco to march down the field and score tds every time they had the ball in the 1st quarter.

• we had the ball 3x on their side of the filed early and were running the ball well. Right before RT threw his first int they showed Ajayi’s stats and he had 7 rushes for 49 yds.
      We failed to convert on a 3rd and 2 right before the missed FG, RT threw the int on the pass to Parker and then we failed to move the ball after the Maxwell int. We had chances on offense and shout ourselves in the foot in the first half Could easily have been a different game if we scored at least 13 pts when we had the opportunity.
      So, placing this all on the defense because the offense couldn’t move the ball again is kind of short-sighted. Even Gase said, “when you have the ball 3x past the 50 you’ve got to be able to do something on offense and we didn’t get it done”.

It can’t be ALL on the defense or ALL on the offense. Both units have to do their part, along with ST’s. Franks answered Piggy’s question this week. You can’t count on him, and you WON’T count on him with the game on the line.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

Yes the offense did shoot themselves in the foot, but the defense didn’t help them at all. You can’t expect the offense to score a TD every time the have the ball.

If I was going to blame one group for this loss it would be the defense more than the offense.

None of this matters anyways. This team was exposed as the pretender that they are. Just like philbin teams that teased us with playoffs this team is not ready yet. Same shit different year.

• yes, but you also have to score points on offense as well, Ravens offense was getting it done. Why cant’ we?

• Mike,
        Franks missed the FG and there’s no excuse for that but when your O can’t convert on a 3rd and 2 to keep the chains moving there’s an issue there as well.
        I just wonder what they were thinking with that pass instead of going for something shorter and quicker to try and pick up the first just to get a new set of downs.

37. I was actually encouraged by the fact that Ajayi was running the ball as effectively as he did early on despite going against the Ravens D. Our o-line was getting it done and he was running hard on every play.

Lou

Why can’t we? If I have to answer that for you, you didn’t watch the game. The Ravens D was much better than our D was. It would have been nice if we could have responded on offense after they scored, but their defense did what it’s been doing all year and then some. They were a better unit than our offense was.

After a few series I had the feeling it was going to be one of those games. The Ravens were doing everything right and we couldn’t do much of anything right. It was a real shitty performance but at the end of the day it’s one game. Hopefully we’ll rebound and play much better at home against the Cards.

• that’s the thing. how we respond to this loss is going to show something. It’s been Gase’s approach all year long that the team doesn’t get too high or too low following a win or a loss and they take it one game at a time.
      If they focus on their next opponent during the week they should be just fine.

That’s the thing. If we come back with a strong effort against the Cards, and get a W, it will show that this game, while it was an awful beatdown, does not define our team.

Lou

Is that the thing? LOL

It’s weird both us and the Giants were on 6 game winning streaks and suffered similar losses. They got outplayed by the Steelers. Not quite as bad as we got beat, but they were down all day.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

And my Colorado buffs were on a 6 game win streak as well and lost to washington very similar to how we lost to the ravens. Not a great weekend for me ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

That sucks when you have bad losses with all your teams the same week. It makes you not want even think about football. LOL

The defense needs a lot of help in all areas but specially LBs that can cover tight ends.

Steen also played like shit on offense. He’s not the long term answer for us and can’t replace pouncey.

I had a bad feeling about Pitta before the game. I was surprised they didn’t run much though.

When we don’t have a pass rush it really does seem like opponents can play throw and catch on us pretty easily.

Did anyone else here change the channel during the game? I had to a few times. I get so frustrated, I just can’t watch anymore.

No I was in slatterys
      That would have created a riot

I walked away a few times and when I returned nothing was getting better. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

• herdfan says:

That’s how the whole thing of me doing laundry got started. I’ll be watching and get disgusted and walk away and start doing laundry so it’s not just wasting a few hours on Sunday. Then they’ll come back and play better and win. Usually anyway. Lol

9-7 is what I’m hoping for now. We haven’t had a winning season in a while so even if we don’t make playoffs we can say that we won more than we lost. Get us 9 wins phins.

That would be my guess if I had to pick right now. I never thought we’d run the table. But let’s hope we can keep building for the future. We need some more talent to take the next step.

Well the Dolphins kicked us all in the collective nuts yesterday. Man what a horrible loss. PLAYOFFS!?? we don’t belong in the playoffs.

tim,
    “we’re just not good enough yet” is what we’ve been saying for at least 15 years. Wait till next year is our slogan.

Painfully true . . .

Bright side though, I do feel like we have the right coach in place, now we have to let him build his team as he sees fits.

Well we were 6-10 last year and we’re 7-5 now. I didn’t go into this season thinking we’d be a playoff team this year. I just wanted to see some progress with a new coaching staff and I think we’re making strides. But we do need some more talent. I think we’ll be better next year. Gotta give a new regime some time to build their team. The past doesn’t really matter to me. Also one bad loss doesn’t erase that 6 game winning streak. Sometimes teams have a dud game and that’s what we had yesterday. Let’s see how we rebound at home against the Cards.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

Usually you make strides with a new coaching staff. Heck philbin won 7 games his first year and that team had a rookie QB.

The only stride I care about is playing in the playoffs. Anything else for me is the same shit different year.

mike,
    I really can’t say yet if we have the right coach in place. He’s won 7 games so far against suspect opponents. He’s lost to good teams on the road just like philbin and sparano did.

Give it a couple of years then we can say for sure if he’s the right coach or not.

We beat some good teams this season, teams that were hot an playing well. It’s not fair that after one loss, that gets swept away. We beat the Steelers when they were 4-1, we beat a hot BUF team, then we played the jets who at the time had won 2 in a row, and then we beat a decent Chargers team on the road. Just not fair to dismiss all that.

We might not be good enough yet. We are however better than we were. We’re headed in the right direction and making progress. The sky hasn’t fallen on me.

The playoffs would be fun
    but I think we know that would not go very far

I’m more interested in changing our culture to build on it.

9-7 or 10-6 is still very realistic
    if we didn’t lose a game we would be 11-5

I think that is a stretch
    but if we can go 3-1 the rest pf the way
    I think that will go a long way to helping us get to where we want

I would like to see us win both of the upcoming home games
    I actually think @Buffalo is the most likely loss left on the schedule

Sooooo, I guess I get to wear what I want and pick whatever score I want this week. (Yes the clothes will be laundered)…I am a half full kind of guy, so that is my positive spin on the loss. I will not talk about playoffs until they clinch something. Still trying to just enjoy each game in and of itself. I actually wasn’t that upset yesterday. That might be because there really wasn’t any drama at the end of the game.

I feel like everything is gravy from here on out…. I believe Gase is the guy, and I am looking forward to building on this roster and have confidence he will get the personnel issues addressed after the year is over.

Meanwhile, I will just continue to be happy for the wins, and as Herd put it not worry about the sky falling if they lose.

I wasn’t crushed yesterday either
      I just hate losing like that

But I think Gase righted the ship with Tannehill and the offense
      I think we need better personnel on defense

I like the pieces we have in place for long term success
      I hope we make a run at 10 wins this season though

I just kind of got on board that it was going to be one those games. It started bad and never got better.

By the way,

My survivor pick this week is Detroit. (At home against the Bears)
    It is getting difficult, because a lot of the teams I have left are on the road this week in what I would call toss-up games….I prefer not to take that chance, so I went with my gut again.

Would be nice to emphasize defense in the draft

Tim Williams
    Jalen Reeves-Maybin
    Ben Boulware
    Keith Kelsey
    Devonte Fields
    DeMarcus Walker
    Carl Lawson

Just a few LBs and Edge guys that may be coming out
    I think we should build aggressively up front on D

Anyone have any favorites or input on any of these guys

I’ve been a fan of Carl Lawson for a couple of years now. Really string work ethic, good pass rusher

Reuben Foster looks like the real deal and a true Mike to me

Takkarist McKinley is intriguing to me. I don’t know if he is technically a OLB or a DE

This entire list is pretty much SEC, ACC and Big Ten
      only McKinley from the PAC 10 (sorry west coasters)

We kind of patch worked the defense this year while we built the offense through the draft. The next draft should be more defense. Maybe we can add a good TE and some better depth on the OL in FA.

I think TE and OL are certainly legit prospects

But I’ve been begging for defense (specifically LBs) for a little while now
        and I do think you can make a dramatic difference one draft

A lot of those guy on that list above are rounds 1-2
        but there are a few that will be available in rounds 3, 4 or even later

What if we had a draft
        Round 1. Reuben Foster (ILB)
        Round 2. Carl Lawson (DE)
        Round 3 (comp pick only) another DE or LB

then we have 2 picks in round 4 (with the expected comp pick)
        and day 3 to fill out the roster

If you focus on getting better in one area – in this case the defensive front 7 – maybe you can have a dramatic difference in one offseason via the draft

Williams is a 3-4 OLB, he is athletic enough to play 4-3 DE, but i wouldnt look for him to be as good in a 4-3.

Charles Harris is more 4-3 DE, maybe would be ok as a 4-3 OLB, but more natural or a 3-4 OLB in a wide 9 system. He would be a decent option, but not my first choice, might would be a decent guy to get IF we are contemplating a transition to 3-4, just due to flexibility of using him for either 4-3 or 3-4.

Derek Barnett might be my favorite pass rusher in the draft, over Myles Garrett. He would eb a good 4-3 guy, almost instant insert on the LDE spot to split time with Wake until Wake finally is done. He plays on the right side right now so its possible we could plant him on the right full time, and draft a guy later to split time with Wake or continue to let Wake split time with Fede.

Cunningham is an absolute beast of a LB, second favorite, damn near tied for first. He is a perfect wide 9 4-3, ILB/OLB. Pretty solid in coverage, dominant in run defense, very instinctual, very athletic and a really nasty tackler.

Foster is the person i have that i feel is better than Cunningham but only slightly, similar attributes, and Foster has even better leadership intangibles.

Jarrad Davis is about on equal footing as the other two, again, 4-3 either at ILB or OLB, same kind of athletic ability, probably better instincts than the other two as well. Only knock against him right now if he has been injured, though not severly in a couple games this year.

Beckwith is more a run stuffer. He has good athletic traits but wouldnt be as fluid in an OLB role for our 4-3 wide 9. He would be a very good ILB for us and he likely can be gotten in 2nd maybe even 3rd round.

Ryan Anderson is pretty much Tim Williams 2.0. There is little to no dropoff for Alabama when he comes in to replace Tim Williams. I mean there is a real reason he is rotational player and still stlated as a 2nd round projection. He might be better suited to play in a 4-3 than Williams is as well, so if i had to choose between the two, i probaly would take Anderson.

Reeves-Maybin didnt really impress this year, spent a bunch of his time hurt. He is really good however, i had some mocks last year with us taking him in a later round, and i would probaly have the same no. If he is there 4th or past and we havent selected someone already, id be all over that pick.

Lawson i think i liked more last year than this year. I think he is a good pass rusher, and he might be a guy i would take 2nd or 3rd round to rotate with Wake on the left, but i wouldn’t be taking him i the first, or with any ideas of him coming in to replace Wake all together.

Boulware is the only non SEC guy i have been studying so far, though i have looked at Raekwon McMillan (i thin he is a little overrated). Boulware though seems to be a really solid ILB, good instincts for run support, thoug i dont think his coverage ability is very good, maybe even slightly inadequate. He also doesnt scream wide 9 ability. He will defend the middle well but if the play flows outside, he isnt going to be a good sideline to sideline guy.

Holy draft evaluation Batman! LOL

I tend to agree with most of this

The 3-4 v 4-3 guys is always a slippery slope a lot of college guys appear to be 3-4 OLBs at that level and develop into 4-3 guys

Check out UCLA’s Takkarist McKinley
        They’ve had some good LBs come from UCLA lately
        McKinnley is a big guy and they list him as a LB but he rushes the passer a lot might be a 4-3 DE in the NFL

Tim, there are some solid TE’s in this draft, id draft one and focus on OL in FA, and id probably still take a shot on Collins in FA. I really like the Arkansas TE Jeremy Sprinkle, and OJ Howard i think is an incredibly underappreciated TE, just due to the fact Alabama doesnt bother using him to his fullest.

We could do both. We need more competition at TE. Duarte will probably be more prepared to play next season. Sims is a UFA and Gray and Jones have been kind of journeymen. So maybe we go FA and the draft to bolster the unit.

You know D

You could have made seperate posts per prospect.

But hey at least there are paragraphs in this post!

๐Ÿ˜œ

Piggy you left off some good ones.

Pass rushers….

Anthony Walker
    Alex Anzalone
    Richie Brown
    Tre Williams
    Hardy Nickerson
    Riley Bullough

I like Jonathan Allen. Alabama has a lot of good defensive players entering the draft this year.

Allen would be more a 3-4 DE, but he has speed to play 4-3, he would be a Mario Williams kind of 4-3 DE.

Well snoot is highly ranked
      But I don’t know what to think about Illinois

Are you going for a familial relationship theme with these guys

Nickerson
      Bullough
      Is Bryan Cox Jr. the son of who I think?

Yeah Bryan Cox Jr. is former Dolphin LB Bryan Cox’s son.
        Riley Bullough is Max Bullough’s brother.
        Hardy Nicherson is Hardy Nickerson’s son.

I know the SEC players because i watch almost every SEC game, and obviously every UF game. I dont have much research to have to do on those guys by the end of the season, because i have been going it for months already lol. Sometimes though a couple other players catch my eyes and ill go back and look at them but pretty soon ill be digging into all of them in more detail. Probably acouple guys ill find i like that arent even on my list right now. Sometimes a team and the way they play, if its gritty tough football will make me look inot their players just because i like the brand of football they play, like Vand’s defense, im going to dig into almost all of those players, because they seem very well coached and they play above their level most the time, thats usually good footballers when you see that.

Temple plays pretty gritty and tough football too so they are on my list to check out their players

I went all in on Tyler Matakavich last year
        And he ends up going 7th round (steelers) and has 11 tackles this year

So I might not emphasize temple prospects this year

Isn’t Allen more of a DT

No he is a DE, he projects more as a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE, but with his speed could probably play DE in a 4-3, id prefer him on the RDE spot for us.

He is crazy explosive.

He might be one of those guys you can move around.

he is, they shifted him around a lot, but in their base 3-4 package he is a DE that they might shift in when they brought up anderson or williams to rush the passer.

Alabama did shift him inside the guards some but you can see here he is lined up as a 3-4DE on the outside shoulder of the OG, OLB on the outside of him. Watch his explosive sack.

CBS has Allen as the #1 prospect in the country – above Myles Garrett
    So maybe you can cross him off the list….lol

By the middle of the 2nd qtr yesterday I was STEAMING mad and it was going to ruin the rest of my day. So I took a page out of Herd’s book and started doing laundry. I decided then that we had lost the game and that I was going to get over it and try to enjoy the rest of the day. (it didn’t work, as laundry is no fun either) By the evening I had forgotten that there had been a game, completely put out of my mind.

This morning SUCKED! there was nothing encouraging to read, no stories about our incredible 7 game winning streak, nothing.

Now there is draft talk going on. UHG!

December 5, 2016 at 1:54 pm

I went all in on Tyler Matakavich last year
    And he ends up going 7th round (steelers) and has 11 tackles this year

So I might not emphasize temple prospects this year
    ————————————
    I think its slowness thats the issue with him. The guy is a very solid 2 down LB, its just the new NFL is all about 3 down players. If you cant do it all why have to waste two roster spots on what you can get in 1.

He is still a really gritty player, who plays the game like i think it should be. Its true though the problem with Temple or other teams is you also have to have the talent level to go with the grit, and i think thats where you have to be wary.

CBS has Allen as the #1 prospect in the country โ€“ above Myles Garrett
    So maybe you can cross him off the listโ€ฆ.lol

Who knows? Maybe there will be a video of him smoking pot through a gas mask before the draft.

Is Bryan Cox Jr. the son of who I think?

No they just called him Bryan Cox Jr. as a joke. His dad’s name is Harrold Johnson………..
    ๐Ÿ˜‰

Its kinda a common name

There is an actor named Bryan Cox too (Xmen and Supertroopers)

and probably 10,000 other guys name Bryan Cox

Merry Christmas Myles Garrett

Rock: Here’s a tip. You should have a drink while doing the laundry. Makes it a little better.

Lets say we split the last two games. I think 1 that would be a really good sign for us as a team to finish with a winning record given the rebuilding nature of our team. That would likely put us at about pick 16-18.

I think either one of the other, Foster or Cunningham would be available, but depth at LB this year probably gets us a guy in the 2nd that is pretty comparable, definately a start right away. DE is also fairly dep this year so same pretty much applies there, it would just be a matter of where would ya want to stud out, and where would you want to get a guy who may spend first year rotating. CB probably still a concern as well, but we may miss on the best ones there because depth of that position not as strong. That said if i did get Quincy Wilson (if he declares), Jalen Tabor, or Marlon Humphreys to fall to us, we should probably take them and then try to pick up a guy like Jarrad Davis or Kendell Beckwith in the second, followed by a guy like Deatrich Wise Jr, Bryan Cox Jr, or Daeshon Hall in the 3rd.

We should get a 3rd and a 4th in comp picks this year. The 4th is traded away, and our normal 3rd is traded away.

I think I remember hearing one of those traded picks will be the comp pick if we get it. They can be traded in 2017.

Lou has to take his shots at Tannehill. Tannehill didn’t have a good game but the plays Lou focuses on were not bad plays by Tannehill. The int to Parker was a good throw even the announcer noted that. It was a combination of Parker not going to high point the ball and a great play by Webb. The 3rd and 2 Lou whines about is the play where Landry which allowed the defender to gain position to knock the ball down. At the time when Tannehill three the ball Landry was open and in good position to keep the defender away from the ball. The other 2 ints were on Tannehill but the game had already gotten away from us because the D was so bad yesterday. You have to remember that the Ravens are one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL and we allowed them to move the ball at will

I think building a winning culture is more important than where you draft. There are always good prospects available throughout the draft.

I’m not so sure that any teams’ success has ever been predicated at drafting at #15 rather than drafting at #22…..lol

There are always drop off points in the draft
      like the top 8 guys are across the board top 8 or something like that
      but you don’t know where that point is in December

to a certain extent picks 15 – 50 or so are sometimes just a matter of preference and needs

Suck for Luck is one thing
      but draft position to go from early 20s to early teens is kinda crazy IMO

Exactly!

Think about the blockbuster Rams/Redskins trade involving RGIII. Neither team benefited from that trade after the fact.

• sb7mvp says:

I thought we traded all of next year’s draft picks.

and probably 10,000 other guys name Bryan Cox

My original answer was going to be Yes, he is the son of Bryan Cox Sr…….that’s the way “Jr.” works.

Kiko Alonzo broke his thumb yesterday and had surgery on it today? They say he may be available for the Arizona game….how do you have surgery on Monday and play 6 days later? Man I stub my freakin toe and I limp for a week.

Ken
    why didn’t we run on that 3rd and 2. I was so mad when we threw the ball. Ajayi was having a good day and IMO we didn’t run the ball enough. As soon as we fall behind our OCs seem to abandon the run too quick.

sb7mvp says:
    December 5, 2016 at 2:28 pm

I thought we traded all of next yearโ€™s draft picks.

We did, we traded them all for 2018 draft picks in the same round….

The int by Webb was a spectacular play. There wasnt a high point issue by Parker, it was a throw that was thrown to the outside. It was actually a helluva throw, but web literally stole it from parker. Parker hadnt had a chance to close his arms on it when Webb reached out and snatched it away. Parker did nothing wrong on that play either. In fact until i saw the call i thought it was a TD. Parker was already pulling the pass in but you can see on the replay thats when Webb reaches out gets hands on it and pulls it out before Parker can even close his arms around it.

Couple sacks Tanny took were on him and they were really dumb plays. He had some bad throws too. It was not a good game for him, but we also had to lean to hard on him, which we know from recent success isnt the key to us winning. We need all players to contribute, and especially on defense, our LB’s were not able to cover well enough, and Joseph just wasnt calling a good defensive game or making the necessary adjustments to get that under control. It started off as bad defense/defensive calling against really spot on offensive scheming and execution that got us in the hole and the rest of the shit crumbled afterwards.

Gase definitely Philbined this game and bailed on the run and tried to get cute with his short yardage calls that screwed us on a couple of drives.

We traded our third (regular) and our 4th (conditional, will be our supplemental 4th if we are awarded one and our regular one if not)

Anyone watch that clip up there with Allen’s “Superman” sack? Thats one of the best plays in college football i have seen, its right up there with Clowneys sack fumble recovery.

December 5, 2016 at 2:13 pm (Edit)
    Does Clorox mix well with vodka?

That reminds me…my niece is all into essential oils, toxic free diy stuff. So at thanksgiving she is telling me and my sister(her mom) how we could make some kind of cleaner with vodka and whatever oils. We just looked at her and told her we raised you better than that. We aren’t using our vodka for that.

nice to see lou back. soooo where you been lou, what brings you around today

December 5, 2016 at 2:13 pm (Edit)
    Does Clorox mix well with vodka?

Screw the vodka, after yesterday’s game I was ready to drink the Clorox straight up!

Speaking of people who haven’t been around, where is Randy?

herdfan says:
    December 5, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Speaking of people who havenโ€™t been around, where is Randy?

still looking for mistakes in the pitt and buffalo running game

games like yesterday when I think Lou is not far from right. (not right, just not far from it)

Meh it was bad day for the entire team. Really nothing looked good except Ajayi and once we got down quite a few points we couldn’t keep going to him and became one dimensional. Can’t do that against the Ravens defense. To win this game we had to keep it close and somewhat low scoring. The defense didn’t oblige from the get go.

Watching CJ Mosley play against us i was reminded of when i was really pushing for us to draft him and everyone was saying “oh the bama LB’s always turn out so bad”……and now here we are again and a Bama LB is once again looking like he will be the best player for us to take IF we want to shore up that unit. Maybe since Gase is close with Saban we wont make the same mistake again.

I made that point about Saban being a Gase mentor the other day. We drafted Drake. I’m sure there was some intel from Saban on him as well.

Man, we are screwed this week against Arizona. Our best LB (who already has tackling issues) has a broken thumb and had surgery on it today. Do you think he’ll be able to grasp and tackle? NOT More of the same coming next Sunday.

HOWIE:

38-12 Arizona

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I agree. Arizona looked really good last night. Maybe it was because they were playing at home. IF we play like we did against the ravens then it’ll be a blow out.

You’re talking about a 5-6-1 team who has also suffered a few bad losses. They are not consistent. We’ll lose to anyone if we play the way we did yesterday.

ARZ is 1-4 on the road. This is a long trip for them.

D, I admit that I always preferred bigger inside LBs but that is changing. Some guys are just better than others regardless of height/weight. You really need good instincts and tackling more than anything else at LB. Without it that’s how you see short plays go for more than they should. You could say the same for the secondary.

LBs are like chubby safeties now

LOL

The problem is they can wear down as the seasons goes on. That’s why you need depth and rotation just like the DL. When smaller LBs say 6-1 230 are taking on RBs of the same size, faster backs, big TEs and even WRs, that can wear on you. I think you need a mix but good players are good players.

Our PS has changed a little bit that I was not aware of.

At this point we don’t have a shot at AFC east, so I want the pats to spank baltimore on Monday night to wipe that stupid grin off of flacco’s face.

In a perfect world a bus would land on the field at an angle where both Brady and Flacco were crushed

• BoulderPhinfan says:

In a perfect world we’d already beaten both baltimore and the pats on their home turf this year and wouldn’t care what happens in this game on Monday night. ๐Ÿ™‚

I thought that bad snap was on Steen
    He got the snap count wrong from what I could see
    Tanny actually was scolding him after the play (first time ice ever seen that)

Yeah thought the same thing. RT was like dude really? We can’t have that. Steen is serviceable at center at best. Maybe he’d be a better guard but he is no Pouncey.

LOL @ Boulder and Piggy

tim,
    that’s true. The cards are a different team on the road than they are at home this year. I think that’s why the line is -2 miami right now.

91. 81Howie says:

Evening Update
    DOLPHINS CARDINALS
    Old 27-17 MIA
    Howie 30-24 MIA
    Rock 38-12 ARI
    GO PHINS!!!

So here’s what the team is facing. We’ve got some key guys banged up, we got rocked this past Sunday and we still have a chance at the playoffs. We can still win 11 games. Not saying we will but we did just win 6 in a row before Sunday’s debacle.

Let’s see how we respond after a good kick in the gut. Maybe we needed it. I don’t know.

Arizona is going to be a tough game. Wth us being exploitable across the middle, and them with possible one of the best receivers out of the slot in Larry Fitzgerald…it could be a very long day. Im hoping they are working up some 3 safety (nickle LB) packages just so they can have another guy at LB who might can run with some of their crossing routes. With Fitz, John Brown, Gresham, and Johsnon out of the backfield, we could be in a world of hurt with out some help there in the middle.

Snap was mishandled, it was perfect spot for Tanny to get it, but may have caught him off guard. I dont think though it was on Steen, since we seem to have Bushrod tap the OC to tell him when to snap it. I really couldnt tell what happened with that exchange, but yes, like i was saying yesterday, Steen is an OG having to play OC right now, and he seems to be our best option after Pouncey, but ideally he should be playing RG and we should get a guy like Pocic from the draft next year to be an OG, and OC backup.

It wasn’t about the snap or handling, it was the count and timing. RT was not calling for the ball yet. That was my first thought anyway.

Maybe, but it looks to me that we have been having Bushrod call for the snap, so it may not have been what Steen did. I dont deny he wasnt ready for the ball, im just saying there must have been more than one person not on the same page, because Bushrod taps the OC to let them know when to snap it.

The best OG in FA next year is Zeitler out of Cincy, if we pick him up, kick Bushrod back to being a reserve OT, Steen could be backup at RG/LG. Tunsil, if Albert stays healthy remains at LG, backups LT. A guy like Pocic who can play all positions on the OL could Backup Pouncey at OC, or James at RT and we have would have some pretty talented dept. Tunsil eventually moves out to LT, Pocic to LG and we pick up another draftee later that can backup at OG/OC, and the wheel just keeps turning.

I’m concerned about Pouncey long term.

Then id say Ethan Pocic should be pretty high on your list of draftee’s because he is about the perfect replacement, in that he would represent a player that could be used at a position of need right now or at very least back up one, and be ready to replace Pouncey long term if need be.

tim,
    last time we got beat bad on the road was against the bengals. We all thought we’ll come home and beat the titans. Instead we got beat bad again by the titans. I hope that’s not the pattern against the cards and they learned their lesson.

Im hoping to see Gase learn from that most of all and do more to get us straightened out by next game than he was doing earlier this year. He should know our guys better by now and know what he needs to do to get them right.

That was many moons ago. We did just win 6 straight before one bad game yesterday. You can’t just throw that away unless we’re wearing down. We’ll see.

Well despite it being a real stinker of a game im not seeing anything on the transaction list saying we cut a person or 4.

D says:
    December 5, 2016 at 6:14 pm

that is cause the amount of players he needs to cut there isnt enough replacements to fill the roster

Ajayi is so damn impressive. He fights as soon as he gets the ball. You see so many backs get hit and the play is over, he very rarely gets taken down by first contact

Paysinger, Hull and Vigil are all fine for ST’s, but they have no business being on the field on defense.

Hull was finally out there for a good chunk of time and his coverage skills were not good.

Yeah, I mean it’s probably really tough to just step in and do it, especially when the opponent is just tearing it up taking advantage of the zone holes like they did. It was pretty embarrassing how easy it looked

• Brian in NY says:

Holes? I’d call them canyons- They had the entire middle of the fucking field open!!!!!

….maybe
    just maybe

if we would have drafted a LB or 2 the last couple of years

what really sucks the most is this team is so void of talent one can not truly judge gase. this is a wasted year in finding out if he can take this team all the way.

they pretty much need 11 new started on def, another 3 starting o line men, a TE and a deep threat wr in the offseason. basically 16 new starters so even next year this team is going no where. gase will be 2 seasons into his contract and still struggling with talent.

piggy

when they basically have 4 players out of the last 5 drafts that are producing at a nfl level i am not sure if even the draft is the answer.

Rob

I think a half a dozen players may make the difference

its not a mountain of players
    There are plenty of players to work with on the roster

I just prefer they spend the draft picks on defense up front

pig,

i agree with every pick being defense, if i am not mistaking i think we both thought that last year too.

but not so sure i agree they have are plenty of players to work with. there is a complete lack of talent on def and still need help on the o line and at wr. parker is clearly not the answer at wr

I don’t know what your problem with Parker is

but IMO Parker, Stills and Landry is a strong combo
      Still is a FA so there is a wrinkle to work out
      I wouldn’t touch WR though in the draft
      or RB, or QB

maybe TE and probably OL more bc of the health issues

but mostly its defense
      and you have Suh, Phillips, Mitchell at DT so you are set there
      DE is a problem
      Alonso is good but should play Outside IMO
      Maxwell, Lippett and Howard aren’t elite but Maxwell is playing well and I don’t think we are getting beat over the top

Abdull is serviceable at safety but I wouldn’t hesitate to upgrade

So you draft a DE and a LB early
      and if you hit on them they make some of the less overwhelming players better

but we are 200% better ont he roster than I thought we were in Sept

December 5, 2016 at 2:08 pm
    Its kinda a common name

There is an actor named Bryan Cox too (Xmen and Supertroopers)

and probably 10,000 other guys name Bryan Cox
    I once knew a guy named Edward Cox. His parents inexplicably called him Woody from a young age. No joke.

December 5, 2016 at 7:14 pm

I donโ€™t know what your problem with Parker is

well i expect a first over all pick to dominate. not be hurt all the time and get beat out for the ball by a safety cause you dont have good enough skills to catch the ball at its highest point.

basically IMO he isnt living up to his draft selection, he should have been a 3rd or 4th round pick

He is probably going to finish the year with around 70 catches and 800-900 yards (he’s got 44 catches for 583 yards right now)

It’s not Julio jones numbers but I don’t think that is expected of him (or anyone) in this offense and hes only in his 2nd year

We are fine at WR
      All of our guys get separation and I don’t see anything they do that hurts our offense – if anything Parker needs to be healthy and take care of himself better

But he is producing enough right now – he’s doing his job

We were really running the ball a lot a few games ago and no one was putting up big passing game numbers

I want to see a trio of WRs putting up great but not elite numbers
      I like he current trio and Carroo only can add to that

The tricky thing will be if stills leaves in FA, we have to replace his speed

‘but we are 200% better ont he roster than I thought we were in Sept’

i dont doubt they are better then most thought but the problem is they are still a pretty bad team even if they are not as bad as most thought. to get to be a sb contending team they need boat loads of talent.

You guys are depressing.

herdfan says:
    December 5, 2016 at 7:48 pm

You guys are depressing.

well you are not quite right……the miami dolphins are depressing we are just talking about them

‘We are fine at WR’

yep, i agree they are just ‘fine’ at wr. but when you have one second rounder and one first rounder and a big time FA they should be better then fine

December 5, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Stills was a trade (3rd round)

okay so basically now a 1st 2nd and 3rd rounder for a very average unit. the only one any other team would want is landry. 1 our of 3, that sucks.

I really think a lot of the teams in the NFL would take our top 3 over their own

I pretty sure stills is going to get paid well this offseason when he is a FA
      I hope he doesn’t and we keep him

Technically (nitpicking) if you count carroo
      It’s 2 3rd rounders

Landry is setting NFL production records
      Your standards are too high!

Parker is good as long as he stays healthy. I think overall, the production we got out of him is disappointing, but that’s because he wasn’t able to make an impact until near the end of the season last year, and this year he’s had nagging injuries. He’s got to shake that.

I just went back and oooked at the stats yesterday

0 sacks
    Felt like we didn’t generate any pressure on the qb all game
    Flacco had all day

Landry is setting NFL production records
    Your standards are too high!

aaaahhhhhhh, not sure where you got that, landry is the only one i think any team would take. he is one of the leagues best.

oh yeah btw, your standards are too low.

and hey, why we are talking about it, wont be any fun if every one sees the team the exact same way

December 5, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Parker is good as long as he stays healthy.

but that is the think, you can make an excuse for any player. (player) is good as long as (blah blah blah). the bottom line to me is he wasnt worth the draft pick for his current production

December 5, 2016 at 8:45 pm

I just went back and oooked at the stats yesterday

you did say earlier that a DE was needed in the draft

Piggy

We didn’t get near Flacco yesterday. That was insanely frustrating. No pressure at all, and he still threw an INT

mike

not true, i am pretty sure i saw suh handing him a napkin after he finished his sandwich on one of his drop backs

isn’t the jets head coach the ONE that ross let get away

Now I see why the blog is dead…you’re all watching Victoria’s Secret fashion show. ๐Ÿ˜‰

herdfan says:
    December 5, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Now I see why the blog is deadโ€ฆyouโ€™re all watching Victoriaโ€™s Secret fashion show. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ssshhhhhhhhhhh dont ruin the end of it for me i am taping it

I TAKE GREAT PLEASURE in the Colts’ complete destruction of the New York Jets!!! It’s 34-3 late in the 3rd quarter. Now if Indy can just score two TD’s in the final quarter and add a pair of TWO POINT CONVERSIONS they’ll have an even 50 POINTS tonight!!
    ———————-
    In the early 1990’s the Florida-Georgia football game had to be moved from the old Jacksonville Gator Bowl stadium for two years so that the stadium could be upgraded for the new Jacksonville Jaguars NFL franchise. The first of these two years the game was played at Sanford Stadium between the hedges in Athens, Georgia. The score was something like 50-0, Gators, with less than 30 seconds left in the 4th quarter. Gators head coach Steve Spurrier sends in a backup QB to ostensibly take a kneel down to end the game But NOO-O-O-O!!! The Old Ball Coach told the young QB to “throw the bomb!” The kid did as he was told. He threw an 80-yard bomb on the last play of the game and Florida won 57-0! When a reporter asked Spurrier “What would you say to Georgia fans who accuse you of running-up the score?” Spurrier replied, “I’d tell them to get a better football team!”
    ——————–
    I FEEL THE same way about the Jets as Spurrier feels about the Georgia Bulldogs!!

125. 81Howie says:

Morning Update
    DOLPHINS CARDINALS
    Old 27-17 MIA
    Howie 30-24 MIA
    Rock 38-12 ARI
    Piggy 35-14 MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

HOPEFUL of getting our first meaningful rain here in Tampa Bay in the last six weeks today. Had .01 inches of rain at Tampa International in November and no rain in December. Highs running 5-8 degrees above normal. Fortunately there’s no such thing as global warming, so no need to worry.
    ——————
    LOOKS LIKE highs near 80 for this Sunday’s Arizona @ Miami game. It will be the swan song for “My Boyz” and me because I sold my tix to the Patriots game due to work conflict. Hard to believe this 5-decades old tradition is coming to an end. The fact that Mrs. OD might return after a 2-year plus absence (to see the old gang one last time) is some solace. I’m really sure she’ll like the new seating location as much as Young Stanger does. But next season is going to have a totally different feel to it without “My Boyz.”

Howie,

35-31 Miami

Howie

MIA 27 – ARZ 26

I’m shocked there wasn’t a “What Make Hulk Angry” article here this morning. Maybe Hulk leap too many times and now in third world nation with no internet.

LOL @ Wyo

howie,
    27 -21 zona

updated record challenge. A lot of people are tied at 8 correct calls so far. They are
    boulder, home, D, kong, son, stanger, toba, realist, brian, steve, ken, lou

Everyone in the list above except Steve has us losing to arizona. IF we beat arizona, steve will take the lead on his own ๐Ÿ™‚

134. 81Howie says:

I bent the rules for alot of weeks but now its over.
    Fake scores are no longer permitted and that goes for next season as well.
    Unless one truly believes that we re going to lose ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

• bookman11 says:

Believe me, I hated doing it, you will get no argument from me..LOL

If I would have been right (like I almost was last week) during that stretch, too me, it should not have counted.

136. 81Howie says:

Oh Man
    I hadnt noticed but you get the CLOSE FAKE SCORE award ๐Ÿ˜‰
    B’man 38-13 BAL
    LETS GO FINS!

137. 81Howie says:

To late for me to play that other game now but next year someone please tell me about it and show me where to sign up

Howie:
    33-27 MIA

I get the feeling everyone is scared that our season is about to unravel. I admit I’m nervous as to whether we can/will beat Arizona. David Johnson is a nightmare, he will be extremely difficult to contain.

• herdfan says:

I’m always nervous before a game. Pressure is off as far as maintaining a win streak so maybe they bounce back.

• bookman11 says:

I am always nervous before a game also, and judging by my bar tab at the end, I am nervous DURING the game also.

Mike, I am not nervous any more than any other game. I don’t worry about the season unraveling like years past because I think we have a better coaching foundation…and a plan. If we finish up poorly, I still believe we will improve and be much better next year. One step at a time.

Herd

I don’t think the pressure is off at all. They have to win to keep their playoff hopes alive. That’s enough pressure for any team.

• herdfan says:

i should have posted what autocorrect thought I wanted to say. Lol. But instead I’ll say that I agree with you about winning but I think things like a streak add more pressure, but more it’s kind of a manufactured pressure vs the regular kind. I’m not saying this well. I’ve been to an office Christmas lunch ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿท๐Ÿท๐Ÿท

Bookman

That’s kind of a tightrope walk though. I know we think we have a better coach, I know I do, but another late season collapse would worry me. These are the things that the better coaches don’t let happen, so I think it would be up for debate if we lose now. Most coaches say they break down the season into quarters. We were 1-3 the first quarter, 3-1 the next quarter. Now we’re 3-1 in this quarter, but the next quarter counts too, so we’ll see where we end up.

December 6, 2016 at 2:05 pm (Edit)
    LOL โ€“ Cheers! Throw one down for me, I could use one right now. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sadly back at work expected to be productive for the rest of the day. I really could use a nap! Lol

At least you get a holiday party. We haven’t had one in 7 years.

December 6, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Cruel and unusual. Most parties are after hours.

yep, i know for sure after my parties things do turn cruel and unusual. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Piggy i disagree that WR isnt a concern, i just wouldnt go for one early. Id definately consider a hybrid TW/WR guy like Evan Engram in the upper middle rounds, or some other big bodied receiver like Dural, Stringfellow or Josh Reynolds. Ricky Seals-Jones wouldnt be a bad consideration for a late pick, or pick up as UDFA since he could also play TE. Either way we cant bank on retaining Stills and we might want a guy who can give us a little more size. Again, its not a primary concern but id still include them in a draft strategy. RB too if the right guy falls.

Should have read Dural, Stringfellow or Reynolds in late middle.

QB wouldnt be off my list either. Really would depend on the guy and the round, but drafting a QB to push Tanny and to potentially have as a backup (we dont know how Doughty turns out). Sometimes its not drafting for obvious needs it drafting for potential needs, and later round picks are perfect for that.

I do agree though that out talent round picks need to be to address defense, or OL. We got to get better depth on OL, but defense, specifically LB needs some starting caliber guys. I think S and CB are more needs than you seem to as well.

We definitely have Landry Parker and Carroo, which is an excellent start, but we definitely need a couple more.

D

i agree that wr is still a concern. i am just not sold on parker. with that said i still think use every pick on defense. not worried about the qb position either starter or back up, this def is so void of talent it needs all the attention

D

What do you think of Hardy Nickerson’s son?

I think he is pretty solid, but i wouldnt want him as my only LB pick. He would probably be slightly better option than Hewitt at this point, once he picked up the defense definately better. There is more there to work with, and a better football IQ than average players.

I would re-sign Stills and roll with Landry, Parker, Carroo and Grant next year. Then invest some more in the OL and really focus on a lot of defense.

We’ve already seen when we’re at full strength on offense we can move the ball and score. The defense was kind of patch worked this year and I see quite a few changes this offseason. We need youth at DE, LB and some help in the secondary. I’d also re-sign Branch because he’s been playing really well.

You want to build on what you already have, not keep turning over every position. That’s a never ending proposition. Keep your strengths and build on weaknesses.

Stills has to be agreeable to it. Im not saying i wouldnt, i am saying is we need to either have him re-signed before the draft or we need to draft a WR.

Fair enough, but he’s a UFA so he’ll have to be re-signed before the draft. Do you see Stills getting big offers in the offseason that we can’t match? I don’t. He’s a weapon, not the focus of an offense.

To me our offense is going to be built through Tannehill, Ajayi, Landry, Parker and the guys up front. Then utilize other guys’ skill sets along the way.

Jones and Branch both are worthwhile re-signs. I wouldnt pay them starter money but they would be really solid rotational guys. Im not upset with our DE unit personally, i would like to get a young guy in there but given the depth in this next draft i would feel pretty much as compfortable with us waiting to select a DE in the 3rd as i would be with us forgoing another position and taking one in the first. LB to me feels like the most dire need unit, CB to me is a closer second than DE, and im not sure if having starting ability as OL depth isnt more important than going big at DE too.

When I mention positions of need I don’t mean it has to be 1st rd. It can be a mix of FA and the top 3 picks. In FA I plug glaring holes and in the draft I go BPA each round that makes sense.

D

I was thinking he would be a late RD pick for us, but there could be some value there.

Mike if we took a guy like Cunningham or Foster, or Davis in the first, came back around and picked up Nickerson in the 4th, id feel good enough to let Jelani walk. As i see it right now we cant really afford to let him walk, not a person in our LB group covers as well. I think Alonzo is definitely solid against the run and he is ideal for wide 9 but his inability to read the play is hurting us. He is plenty athletic and fast to cover, he just doesnt read the play worth a crap. Balt had a reception right between both he and Hewitt and neither of them flinched, they did not read the QB’s eyes at all, they werent aware of the guy crossing their zones right behind them. It was a good play design, but that was pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, I didn’t really realize how much Alonso can be a liability in coverage. Now we also know that Hull and Vigil aren’t any good either.

I was paying for my car yesterday at Subaru (Over the phone), and the woman asks me for my email so she can send me a copy of the bill. I give it to her, and she asks me if I’m a Dolphins fan, so I say, yeah, big time. She says my nephew is #88 on the Dolphins. I say Leonte Carroo!!!!???? She says yep, that’s my nephew. Going to have to get a lil closer to Rachelle at Subaru. lol

December 6, 2016 at 4:24 pm

if stills is cheap i so agree

December 6, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Fair enough, but heโ€™s a UFA so heโ€™ll have to be re-signed before the draft. Do you see Stills getting big offers in the offseason that we canโ€™t match? I donโ€™t. Heโ€™s a weapon, not the focus of an offense.

To me our offense is going to be built through Tannehill, Ajayi, Landry, Parker and the guys up front. Then utilize other guysโ€™ skill sets along the way.
    ———————————————-
    I think there will be a few teams willing to pay him more than i think he has value to us. Like you said he is a weapon, not a focus, and therefore he can be replaced with another guy who offers the same threat/weaponry. I dont find him so crucial to our offense that we cant replace him or do better. That said id like to keep the unit together and would make a good offer, but i do think there will be other teams offering more. He would kill it in a couple other systems. I wouldnt be surprised at all if SD, Oakland for sure, Rams, 9’ers too, maybe even Dallas to give some threat across from Dez to get a little less safety help thrown his way. I would have said GB and Pats too but they dont like to pay in FA, but he would be pretty scary in both of those offenses.

Alonzo probably would be ok in coverage if there was someone that read the play better calling out the coverage. His athletic ability is undeniable but i don’t think he is the smartest guy. He would probably be much better moved to OLB with us having a more football smart guy at MLB.

He attacks more than reacts so I agree. The Bills were going to move him from the inside to the outside before he injured his knee so maybe they thought the same thing. I also think the support around him is lacking. We’re playing every LB we have around him.

And I thought I was the Samurai fanatic

(Piggy bows to the blog’s new WR obsession)

RIP rashaan salaam. I think this was suicide. possible similar to Junior Seau

Videos like that above is why almost everyone in the south thinks you guys are nuts up there lol. I cant even fathom that being a large portion of my year, those kind of conditions. Friend up in Superior Wis. says that it can begin snowing in late September and stop in late may sometimes. Pure crazy.

December 6, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Whatโ€™s cheap, a dollar? LOL

hell no, if a dollar is cheap i would never get a date

I remember when i was younger watching college football and loving the Colorado Buffalos because of their helmets. I have always been a small fan of that team, back to the Beiniemy days. Also helped that i really didnt like Oklahoma, and Nebraska and one of the first memories i have of them when i was still pretty young was them beating ND in 90′.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

The team salaam was on was a good one but many of them didn’t do well in the pros. Deon Figures, salaam, kordell stewart and michael westbrook. Salaam won the heisman that year rushing over 2k. But he wasn’t that great with the bears.

162. 81Howie says:

Evening Update
    DOLPHINS CARDINALS
    Old 27-17 MIA
    Howie 30-24 MIA
    Rock 38-12 ARI
    Piggy 35-14 MIA
    B’man 35-31 MIA
    MikeE 27-26 MIA
    Bold 27-21 ARI
    Herd 33-27 MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

December 6, 2016 at 3:10 pm
    At least you get a holiday party. We havenโ€™t had one in 7 years.
    I haven’t had one ever.

Hey Boulder, know who else was on that team?…..Vance Joseph.

Also remember Koy Detmer….i thought he was gonna be a big star in the NFL.

the defense has really been bad the last 2 weeks
      the prior game to that was vs a rookie makin his 1st nfl start and dumbass Jeff Fisher was calling the most conservative game ever

the defense has been really bad at times this year
      really only a handful of good defensive efforts this season

I can’t see not having an offseason focused on improving g the defense

• it’s quite contradictory. first, it says we don’t belong and that our record doesn’t say who we really are, meaning we’re not as good as our 7-5 record, and then goes on to say we’re going to be a force to be reckoned with for the remainder of 2016 and we’ve made tremendous improvements.
      which one is it?

• “we’ve won games we should have lost”. again, that’s what separates the good teams from the not so good teams; you find ways to win the close games, whether it be from special teams, defense creating turnovers or coming back to pull it out.
      what the article doesn’t say is how we lost games the past two years we should have won. there were games we were close in but when we got the ball on offense we couldn’t even muster 3 pts. there were plenty of times last season where we had opportunity after opportunity to try and move the ball and get points and we didn’t do it.
      now, we’re finding ways to get it done and win games we wouldn’t have won in the past. that shows improvement and the improvement is coming from the way the coaching staff approaches the situation.
      no, we’re not the perennial playoff contender yet. I don’t even think we’re pretending to be that right now. we’re just a team trying to find an identity and going out there every week trying to win one game at a time. I don’t think anyone on the team has stated otherwise and has raised expectations beyond that.

FLORIDA ATLANTIC DEFEATS OHIO STATE IN BASKETBALL 79-77 IN OVERTIME!!!
    BREAK OUT THE COLORADO KOOL-AID!!!

In 2019, Florida Atlantic opens the college football season in Columbus against Ohio State. Hmmmmm.
      ONE MORE BEER and I’m calling it a night!

Tim Williams might be Von Miller II

• what I like about Williams is despite the label many give him of “pass rush specialist” he’s not a one trick pony. I’ve seen him cover guys down the sideline. He’s the full package at the OLB position and would be a nice addition for us if we had the shot at him.

I was sure the Hulk would be angry this week.

168. 81Howie says:

Morning Update
    DOLPHINS CARDINALS
    Old 27-17 MIA
    Howie 30-24 MIA
    Rock 38-12 ARI
    Piggy 35-14 MIA
    Bโ€™man 35-31 MIA
    MikeE 27-26 MIA
    Bold 27-21 ARI
    Herd 33-27 MIA
    BriNY 29-23 MIA
    GO PHINS!!!

HERD: Thanks for the comments on FAU’s shocking upset of Ohio State in Columbus. You said you “lost interest in college basketball.” Well, in 1982, I watched my last NBA basketball game. To me, basketball is a great sport–but NOT the way it’s played in the NBA. Give me the college game every day over the pros. NOW give me ANOTHER cup of coffee! This old FAU alum (Class of ’69), MAY have celebrated a tad too much last night!!!!!

TODAY is PEARL HARBOR DAY. Me and a group of my ex-military buddies will get together for lunch today. And we’ll remember that this lunch get-together was made possible by those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

God Bless America!

Lou

I think the gist of the article that I put up was you can’t play poorly on both sides of the ball and be a successful playoff team. At least one unit, either offense or defense should be able to do well consistently, and we don’t have that.

• well, I think expectation by some became unrealistic after we won 6 in a row. some started talking about the possibility of winning the division which was unrealistic and others even started talking Super Bowl which was even more unrealistic.
      if you are in the camp that believes Tannehill has improved and if you look at that and say, yeah, his footwork in the pocket has gotten better and he’s made some plays this year; when you consider the team was still struggling to move the ball consistently and convert on third downs there was no reason to have those expectations.
      when you look at a passing game where our qb has only thrown 16 td’s to this point in the season it’s hard to have those expectations.
      at no point in time did we look like we had a prolific scoring offense or a defense that looked like it was going to start to dominate. we knew we had major issues at the lb position and we knew that our offense was only going to be as good as a healthy o-line allowed it to be. so, when o-line starters went down we knew we’d struggle. I doubt Albert and Tunsil were even close to being 100% Sunday but they played anyway.
      It goes back to what I said earlier and that is the fact that Gase and Co. is getting more out of these players than the previous coaching staff and that’s what has allowed us to win games we probably would have lost in the past.
      So, expectations should have been somewhat tempered from the start. What the 6 game win streak showed us more than anything is we have a coaching staff that can help us get there now. We didn’t have the coaches in the past. The team still lacks talent in a number of different areas. It was the tremendous job the coaches were doing to bring the talent out of everyone they had that was making the difference.

Send in your questions please

ASK MIKE nj1dolfan@yahoo.com

Thanks!

172. I think we win at least 2 of the next four games and they are the Jets and Bills games. I think Gase is the smartest person in the room and Rex isn’t even in the room. Gase has too much for Rex to handle and as far as the Jets are concerned I just don’t think they’ve got the talent on their team this year.
    so, it’s at least 2-2 and end up 9-7 as my worst case scenario. My best case is still 10-6 and I really feel good about being able to defeat the Pats at home.

Lou

I guess what I hoped for that one or both units would improve all season long, but that hasn’t really happened. It was great that we won the games we always used to lose, I love that we were able to accomplish that, but it shows we have work to do to be among the best 6 in the conference. We need a few impact players on defense, good thing we get Reshad Jones back next season, and then on offense, we need to make sure we have solid depth on that O-line, when Albert or Pouncey or anyone else goes down. I’d love to also finally get a legit pass catching TE here.

I’m also looking forward to seeing how Xavien Howard plays. It seems as if they’re not going to rush him back, so when he takes the field, he should be ready to contribute.

• yeah, I think the fact that we can’t keep a healthy o-line on the field all year makes a huge difference. it’s hard to become consistent and have the improvement you’re looking for on offense when you don’t have consistency on the o-line. their injuries had a lot to do with it.

defense is a completely different story. not so much about injuries as much as it is about the talent on that side. however, I’m sure we’ll make some strides come the offseason with a couple FA’s and some draft picks to shore up some positions.

• we also have to consider that we lost Jones after the 6th (and he’s still 5th in tackles) game and we won all those games despite not having him on the defensive side of the ball. that says a lot right there about how good the coaching staff was doing at getting the team to play and how good of a job they were doing preparing the team for each week. we’ve been seeing a lot of Hewitt in there and also had to bring Butler in to help.
      Also consider the number of new additions on the defense with Jones, Branch and Williams on the d-line, Butler and Alonso at LB and Maxwell at cb plus Lippett starting at the other cb and an entire new coaching staff and I’d say we’ve done pretty well for a team that has gone thru that much of a major transition.

175. One of the more disappointing aspects of our team has been the lack of discipline as it relates to penalties. I really expected more from a Gase-coached team. I’ve compared him to a young Don Shula in the way he preps the team for one game at a time and gets the most out of the talent he has even if it’s not the best talent out there but the one area he is far behind Shula is where penalties are concerned.
    Shula-coached teams were consistently among the lowest penalized in the league. If we could cut down on those penalties that take us from a 3rd and 2 to 3rd and 7 or longer we’d be doing better as well. Of course, that observation comes with the big “Duh”

We’ll know more about this team and Gase as coach the next 4 weeks. if we can go 3-1 or even 2-2 I’m hopeful. If we fold in december then I consider Gase similar to a coach like Philbin. They can win games in november but when stakes go up the team folds. Remember philbin had a couple of years of getting us close to playoffs but shitting the bed in december.

I send you a question Mike

Hey Xavier Howard you are healthy now

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Now go cover Larry Fitzgerald

not exactly a dream scenario….

Pro Lou,
    Do you think the guys we have on the OL will ever play even most of a season healthy? I have serious doubts and think we might as well get another OG somewhere this draft. I’m pretty tired of constant OL drafting, though. I look at most teams and they just don’t have the consistent OL issues we face every single year.

• This o-line? No. I think Pouncey’s career is coming to an end unfortunately and I think Albert will always be hurt. I agree that we need to draft a G, maybe we’ll even draft 2, but it’s a necessary evil because the game is won in the trenches.

I just realized that the Metlife takeover is a Saturday noight game

weird…..

I will go ahead and predict my score this week.

Arizona 31
    Dolphins 17

They are unlucky this year but have a great defense and amazing RB. I think we start slow like normal and have a better but similar game to last week. I’m hoping we smash the Bills to get our 9 wins but that’s as far as I’m willing to hope lol. Jets are a wreck and Bowles may be out.

I think you have to factor in its a home game for us and AZ is not so good on the road

Dolphins are 5-1 at home
      Cards are 1-4 on the road

I like our odds

I actually think the @Bills and @jests games are probably tougher for us
      and I would be happy with 1-1 in those 2 games

The Cheats are actually 6-0 on the year this year. But I think we have a really good shot at beating them in the final game of the year

if we go 3-1, as I expect, in this final 4 game stretch, we finish 10-6
      probably outside of the postseason – but still a good stepping stone for us
      and then we can make ourselves contenders with a good 2017 offseason

• New Age says:

I hope so Piggy. I think we are on the way and 10-6 would definitely be a nice way to end the year.

• If we go 10-6 there’s a strong possibility we sneak into the playoffs just because of the final four games being played in the West.
        however, that’s far from my mind. I’m thinking we beat both the Bills and the Jets because (1) Gase is going to have Rex’s number from here on out and (2) the Jets just don’t have the talent to compete with us.

I get the OL has been an issue with health

But I think we lost the Baltimore game on poor defense
    I don’t think I t would have mattered if we had a healthy OL
    Baltimore cut through us

If anything on offense the redzone opportunities and chances after a TO in which we turned the ball over, missed a FG or punted with great starting filed position killed us

• New Age says:

I agree but looking forward, I think the OL is still what is holding our offense back. The oldest OL on our starting 5 is the most healthy(at least tied). We can’t seem to get a healthy Pouncey or Albert for most of the year now. Albert has only started 31 games in three years now. Same for Pouncey. Pouncey has two 16 game seasons in his career and Albert just one. I seriously think we see Tunsil as the permanent starting LT sometime next year and not because he beats out Albert. Albert will just be injured again.

• we were behind the 8 ball from the beginning because we started out with the o-line not being healthy so we weren’t able to get any consistency. had the o-line been healthy from the start and we were at full strength vs BAL it definitely would have been a different game.
      that being said, the point I just made is moot because we weren’t full strength and you have to go with the cards you’re dealt. we knew we didn’t have anything spectacular depth-wise on the o-line going into the season just like we knew our LB unit was going to be a major weak link this season.
      If anything, I could see us trying to trade Albert or Pouncey or both in order to get more draft picks and try to solidify some of the positions on the o-line and at LB.

honestly New Age, even 9-7 isn’t so bad

I would not be upset bout 8-8 in most cases, if 8-8 didn’t mean that we went 1-3 in December – yuk

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I’m in the same boat. 9-7 is good improvement and it’s a winning season which is more than we’ve had the last 8 years. 8-8 was what I predicted a the beginning of season but as you said it means we folded again in december and it’s basically the same ole dolphins with different coaching staff.

• New Age says:

Oh, I’d be happy with 9-7 for the first year. I want it really badly because I want everyone(not just our fans) to realise just how bad our previous coaches were.

184. Consider in 2014 the Jets went 4-12 and were in last place. In 2015 they played a last place schedule and ended up 10-6 and were 2nd in the division. This year, they’re playing a 2nd place schedule and are last in the division again. Rut roh reorge.
    Does this mean the Phins are looking at the same thing? Maybe that should be my “Ask Mike” question.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I think we’re in better shape than the Jets because of tanny. he’s way more consistent than fitzpatrick. Yes fitz had a good year last year but he’s been terrible this year.

• I’d have to say, with a healthy o-line, our entire offense is much better than the Jets offense; especially where our running game is concerned. I could see Ajayi going off on them in the next game too.
        But, this is about next year and I think we’ve got the coaches that are going to make the difference. One player isn’t going to be the difference maker with this team.

185. By the way, the Jets are starting Petty in place of Fitz for the remainder of the season

Tim Williams is a great player but he is more of a 3-4 concept OLB, and i really dont think he would be great in our 4-3. Now if we are planning to switch, which personally i dont see it, he would make a lot of sense. I like Ryan Anderson just as much, he is only slightly less effective than Tim Williams, and he will come a round later. Go look at film, you will see he stands out just as much. Ryan Anderson i think is same thing, more suited for 3-4 OLB, but i would be ok with taking a guy in the second round that “could” play in a 4-3, vs a guy that we likely would have to trade up to get that “could” play a 4-3, a lot less risk with same reward.

We would be a lot better off taking a guy like Foster, or Zach Cunningham who both also play out of 3-4 defenses, are still the leaders of their defenses, giving us that ability to read the defense and call out defensive shifts. We could use a guy like that, allowing Alonzo to be a more assignment based guy who reads the play after it begins to develop and attacks.

I think he has the look and feel of a 3-4 OLB as you mentioned as does Anderson

but generally, for any prospect, I think there is room to work in either a 3-4 or 4-3
      I think its a question more than anything about the team that drafts him

You have guys like Julius Peppers, Mario Williams and Cameron Wake playing in both systems during there careers – of course Mario was not so good in the 3-4, but that’s looking more like a product of age than system in his case

I think its a little more fluid between than people give it credit for
      The reality is right now so many college players seem like tweeners these days
      and we end up saying bc of that they are 3-4 OLBs

I bet Williams, would have an easier transition to the NFL as a 3-4 OLB
      but I’m not sure he is limited to a 3-4 OLB

Then again, I’m guilty of treating that Edge type as more fluid than a lot of people who are looking at prospects. The NFL certainly has a history of failed fits in the wrong system.

But I’m pretty sure if a 3-4 team would have drafted Suh, we would be talking about Suh now as a 3-4 DE rather than a DT. And if a 4-3 team would have drafted Von Miller or DeMarcus Ware, we would be talking about them 4-3 DEs. BTW didn’t; Ware also play DE in a 4-3 at some point too? I don’t remember

I feel pretty strongly about us being able to finish 9-7, splitting the last 4 games. I think we can, given playing better than last game, win against the Jets and Bills, even though those are both away games in cold weather. Arizona and Pats are going to be really tough, despite being at home in warmer weather. I wouldnt put us out of the idea of making a 4-0 run, but its very highly unlikely, and i feel even 3-1 is pretty unlikely. It really starts with how we bounce back from the mess we just made, against a tough defense, and a team with their backs against the wall trying to eek out a playoff chance.

God the AFC South is such a flipping joke. 6-6 leads the division….

NFL should have re-aligned us there instead of the Colts

There would have been a lot less competition to win the division over the years and less cold weather games

but you know: jets v Dolphins is a big sell…or was at some point

I still would love to swap at the Colts for the Dolphins in the AFC South

Pro Lou,
    I think Philbin was poor based off a larger sample and how the team played for him. He just never got this team to play well. If Gase goes 7-9, that is a concern but he’s shown many positives this year. Willing to bench starters, accountability from even coaches, self-reflection, Tanny looks better, willing to have a run game(sometimes lol), etc. He’s just shown an adaptability and desire for accountability that Philbin never endorsed.

I will say this
      I agree with Lou

We don’t know that Gase isn’t another Philbin or Sporano yet

this years’ record means nothing if we don’t building on it in 2017

Lou

I’m not seeing the OL as a difference maker in the Baltimore fame at any level

Joe Flacco had 3 TD passes a couple minutes into the 3rd qtr and we were down 21-0 before we blinked
    none of those TD were after turnovers
    and the drives were: 79 yards, 63 yards and 88 yards on those TDs

AND ITS A HORRIBLE BALTIMORE OFFENSE TOO

what does have OL have to do with stopping the first 3 drives of the game for the ravens
    I don’t even think you can argue the defense was tired
    The game barely started and we down 21

We actually drove down the filed in response to being down 7-0
    then missed a FG
    then we drove down the field after being down 14-0
    and through an INT in the endzone

Next thing you know
    Ajayi finishes with 12 carries
    And the very good Baltimore defense can just tee off on Tannehill

The game was over bc our defense couldn’t stop Baltimore in the first few minutes of the game
    it would not matter if we had the best OL in football

Baltimore ( a shitty offense once again) put up 38 points and probably could have put up more if they didn’t get such a huge lead
    They could have drove down the field doing the same thing on every drive

When we lose
    a lot of parts look bad
    I don’t argue that health is not an issue with the OL
    I don’t; argue that they are a good OL
    But I argue even if they were good – with that defense, the result is nearly identical

we won’t go anywhere, except shooutouts to finish around .500 next season if we don’t; aggressively look to fix the D

• My point is if we were healthy from the start we would have been much further along when we got to the Baltimore game and despite being down like we were we would have been able to push the ball up the field more consistently. Remember, we missed on a 3rd and 2 and had to go for the FG. If we were healthy from day one we would have had a much better chance to match them score for score early on and kept it closer.

So now we compare every coach to Sparano or Philbin? LOL

Its not about who the coaches are
      its about switching guys out and getting an initial push
      then not building on it and hovering around .500 like Philbin and Sparano did

We don’t know what Gase is yet
      People should not assume anything based on 2016

• I wasn’t comparing anyone, I was just playing devil’s advocate as I so often do. I don’t think Gase is Philbin or Sporano. I think he’s as good as they get and I’ve compared him to a young Shula for a reason. I think this guy has what it takes to make this team a perennial playoff contender. He gets the best from the talent he’s got to work with.
      Coming in as a new HC and working with this team isn’t an easy challenge and it took him the first five games to get some things figured out and he hadn’t a full compliment of players in areas like the o-line to start off with.
      He’s got the team going in the right direction. We just need to fill in the gaps on the o-line and some other spots and we’ll get to the next level.

• herdfan says:

Yep and every QB compared to Marino.

192. Williams had too much athletic ability to be pigeon-holed as a 3-4 OLB just because he was a “pass rush specialist” at Alabama. He can play OLB in the 3-4 or the 4-3 and would probably replace Misi at SOLB from day one. He’s that good. He can rush the passer, he can play off blocks and make tackles, he can get tfl’s and he can cover rb’s out of the backfield. I would have no problem taking him in the first.

a lot of these early rounds “edge” guys really have the talent to play both 3-4 and 4-3

I don’t get carried away with the scheme stuff when we are talking about the high end talent early in the drafts

“replacing Misi” just made me laugh
      is he still on the team.?…lol

please no more discussion about how Misi help round up the LB unit in 2017
      I won’t be able to handle it

I’m not assuming he’s the next great coach but he has some really good habits and results from this early sample that I’m not going to dismiss. First big winning streak in a while. Players seem to be playing better for him than others. We have a ton of injuries and we are in the hunt even if it is from the outside. Tanny is playing better most of the time. We have a real running game when used.

I am a Gase believe for the reasons you cited

I think its just devils advocate and the reminder that ultimately time will tell

I’m not calling anyone out. Just pointing out that I still see Philbin and Sparano mentioned a lot.

Wrong device

That is the fart hypnotizer

Now the entire blog smells like old broccoli

Asshole!!!

๐Ÿ˜œ

Okay hereโ€™s one I havenโ€™t read before. LMAO!!!

My thoughts on Gase being another Philbin or Sparano is that i cant tell you he will or wont be a more effective coach, i think though its 100% assured he wont be another Philbin or Sparano because his personality type isnt even remotely the same, his approach to coaching isnt remotely te same. I can guarantee you that the method to where he gets will not follow the same path and therefore likely miss the same pitfalls, but there is no way to assume he will be more successful as a result.

I agree.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I could care less about personalities or methods. All I care about is wins and losses. If he can’t get us to the playoffs or can’t win more than 8 games then he’s in the same bucket as philbin and sparano and many other coaches that couldn’t be better than mediocre.