Super Bowl LI – Falcons vs Patriots

capture

It’s Super Bowl Sunday.  The official last game of the season.  It’s probably safe to say most if not all of us here on this site are hoping the Falcons kick the Patriots collective ass off the field.  Get your snacks and drinks ready and settle in to watch the game, the commercials or the half time show.

Whether the Falcons win or lose, I think it’s safe to say we’re going to be sickened by all the Brady talk.  I get it, he’s had a great career.  He’s also had a lot of help and in my opinion his halo has some blemishes that seem to be all but forgotten by the drooling media.  I don’t expect I’ll be able to tolerate much of the pre game show because it’s likely to be all Tom, all the time.

On a bright note for Dolphins fans,  Jason Taylor was announced as a first ballot inductee to the Hall of Fame last night.  Well done JT.  He had a great career with the Dolphins and with the exception of the time with the Jets, he remains universally loved by most Dolphins fans.

capture

So the long off season is upon us.  I hope we all stay safe, happy and healthy.  For those that take time off from the blog during the off season, we expect you to come back rested and ready.   I’m expecting progress from this team next season and who knows?  Maybe this time next year we’ll be having some Aqua and Orange decor at our Super Bowl parties.

I’d love to be saying Go Dolphins to close this out, but since I can’t, I’ll have to say

GO FALCONS!

194 Responses to Super Bowl LI – Falcons vs Patriots

Fiiiiiiiiiiirst

Way to go Herd! Fine work.

Congrats to JT99!

Go Falcons!

I saw OD mention that if NE loses today it will be their record 5th SB loss and that would have likely already happened if Lynch got the ball. Play it smart Atlanta.

JUST a few random thoughts:
    ESPN reports that, somehow, the Cheatriots got through this entire season, including the 2 playoff games, WITHOUT FACING A SINGLE TOP 10 RATED QUARTERBACK THE ENTIRE SEASON!!—rest assured, that will CHANGE TONIGHT!!
    ——————
    The very first player from Florida Atlantic’s football program will dress out and play in this Super Bowl. His name is Sharrod Neasman, #20, a back up safety and special teams player who played in a handful of plays in the NFC title game. FAU’s first season of football was 2001 (as a division 2 program). In 2005, FAU played their first year in Division 1. I’ve waited a long time to see this day. Somewhere, Howard Schnellenberger is smiling. And I’m sure Howard, like all of us, will be rooting extra hard for Atlanta.
    —————–
    YET ANOTHER REALLY FINE EFFORT, HERD!!! – – I don’t think you get all the credit you deserve for helping to keep this site up and running. While some members of this site may not say so, I am SURE every one of them appreciates your efforts. For your sake, I hope the future DOES BRING A HOME PLAYOFF GAME FOR THE DOLPHINS THIS COMING SEASON!! – – Mrs. OD and I will do everything we can to get you a ticket for that game!!!!

congrats on your first!

Herd deserves a tremendous amount of credit we are very lucky to have her. Her next contract will be Suh-like with every penny well deserved.

Aww thanks. I don’t really do that much. It’s those of you who write articles here who deserve the credit. I wish more would send us some to post.

OD I saw your comment about adoption but I don’t think they let you adopt grandkids so I’ll just wait and see if I get any while I’m still able to enjoy them. I definitely don’t want them now so there’s at least that to be thankful for. lol

6. The Miami Dolphins have the greatest fans in football and there’s no debating that. Sites like this one prove it.

PROF LOU; AS YOU KNOW, the intensity of Dolphin fans improves factorially when Miami has a legitimate Super Bowl contender and plays playoff games AT HOME AND WINS A HOME PLAYOFF GAME (something this franchise hasn’t done since the 2000 season). Unfortunately, most on this site have yet to experience this utter madness of crazed Dolphin mania. But I still have hope. I HOPE TO LIVE TO SEE THE DAY WHEN ALL ON THIS BOARD WILL GET TO EXPERIENCE OUR THIRD NFL CHAMPIONSHIP!! –I promise you, it is beyond, far beyond, what you think it is!!

IT’S DOLPHIN MADNESS!!!!!!!

207: R6P22
    C CAMERON TOM
    SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
    243: R7P22
    G BEN BRADEN
    MICHIGAN

Herd, no doubt the pregame will be all about Brady. That’s why I won’t watch it. Nice tribute to JT. He deserved it.

10. 81Howie says:

Good call Herd, I’ll see you guys sometime in August 😉

Nice job Herd! Thanks for all you do!

Great write Herd.

And while I hate to hear all the talk about what a great QB Brady is, have moved though the five stages of grief over the years and into a sixth one of my own.

Denial — Brady is just lucky cause of the Pats system.
    Anger — How the hell did the Pats luck out with Brady in the 6th?
    Bargaining — With that weak arm Brady’s going to age out of elite real quick.
    Depression — Geez he just keeps playing smart and hitting the right guy.
    Acceptance — Given his rings and play at his age, he’s in the talk for best QB ever.

Hope — Maybe with “enough rings” he just chooses to play with Gisele instead.

NOT ME!! The Cheats will always be an empire built on CHEATING, not fair play. Brady and his pals are to football what the steroid takers and ped users are to baseball. NO STAGES FOR ME. Either you tolerate cheating or you don’t. And if you think I stole that from Don Shula, you are RIGHT!!!!!!

Cheating or not, Barry Bonds still has to be in the conversation for best power hitter.

You can disqualify from the conversation, but you have to talk about both him and Brady before doing so.

Yesss! Herd I’m a Falcons fan until Sept after they knock off the Cheatriots!

Go Dan the Mighty Quinn, ex Phins coach. 🙂

I think the Falcons win this by a TD or more. I’m thinking a 10 point victory for the Falcons.

Falcons 34 – Patriots 24

14. ukfinfan says:

Sadly. only time for a drive by (just for a change) but …..
    Love the Falcons fan for a day Herd.
    Slight tear-duct malfunction when JT got the knock on his door.
    Not watching game until I get home tomorrow, but will pick a spot somewhere in 4th Q of recording to check and if Pats are winning, will delete without watching (yes, I hate them THAT much).
    Nearly had a heart attack driving up to see my folks yesterday. Was overtaken (in football = soccer player country = fast cars/big houses) by a Porsche (I think – was too busy laughing) with a personal plate FFR13. Not seen him on here for a while. Now I know why!!!!!!!!!!
    Enjoy the game mob (if Falcons win)
    Cheers
    UK

I wonder what is or how different the 2nd gameplan Kyle Shanahan came up with….SMH!

Spread the Pats out and run their offense. Lot of weapons on the Falcons.

Get on the score board quickly would really help the Falcons, also being able to tun the ball to keep drives long at times. It’s how teams beat Marino in the playoffs.

I remember sitting there watching the camera panning to Dan often while he was standing on the sidelines getting frustrated & cold while the other team was keeping his dangerous arm off the field.

tun = run the ball, yeah & have Ryan throw a tun too….lol

• Brian in NY says:

Easier said than done. NE has a way of slowing down almost everyone they play. Gotta give Belichick credit for that.

In response to your “no LB” comment from my mock, I’m hoping they can acquire someone in FA, and that Peppers could be a hybrid type, similar to Buchanon on ARI. He needs to put on another 10-15 lbs to do that though.

The Falcons run really well out of the spread with both their backs. They’re also weapons in the passing game. One good thing is the Falcons do score early often so let’s hope that continues. Get a lead and keep building on it. I do agree with Brian that Belichick game plans very well. But the Falcons aren’t about one or two guys, it’s like 5-6.

Remember when the Ray Berry Pats would run like 50 times on us with Craig James and Co.? We never had the ball. They also had a good defense.

Falcons were 3rd in Passing Yds, 7th Rushing, 2nd Total Yards and beat teams with good QB’s like @ Carr
    swept Brees
    swept Fig Newton
    swept Rodgers
    beat Palmer
    and beat Wilson in Playoffs.

Reports are that Mack has a fractured fibula, but he will play.

We talk a lot about upgrading the defense with new personnel and I agree we need to do that. What also has to happen is getting back injured players like Jones, Isa and Maxwell, and some young players like Phillips, Fede, Hewitt, Lippett, McCain and Howard stepping up their games.

• Brian in NY says:

Phillips and Lippett are going to be key. We need more consistency from Phillips, and we need Lippett to continue to develop.

For Lippett I think his issues are lacking knowledge at the position. On that play that Antonio Brown broke for a long TD off a screen – Lippett is the corner and needs to protect the outside, but he went inside, Brown cut outside, then when Lippett tried to backtrack he picked off two swarming LBs and Brown was free. Those are the finer points of the game he needs to clean up.

• Brian in NY says:

He’s a lot further along at this point than I thought he would be though.

I hope that this is a good game, and the Patriots lose in the last minute. Those SB’s against the Giants were so satisfying to watch!

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots expect Tom Brady to play 3-5 more years.
    In other words, the Patriots don’t view Jimmy Garoppolo as his eventual successor. Garoppolo is headed for free agency next year and the Patriots are expected to entertain any and all trade offers for him this offseason. Cleveland, Chicago and San Francisco are just a few of the many teams expected to pursue Garoppolo.
    __________________________
    I doubt it!

Brian, yeah Lippett put a lot of work in during the offseason to get up to speed as a CB. Kudos to him. Take the next step and he’s a good tall rangy corner.

I like his huge potential, high ceiling.
      I think Phillips can come into his own, he is really young and Yuuuge!
      Fede I’m very concerned with and about ready to move on from.

Lippett can be very good.
        Phillips has the ability to be dominant.
        Fede played his way into the lineup as the season went on. But he’s not a pure pass rusher. He’s a scratch and claw edge guy like a Shelby but not as good yet. He also plays on STs. You need guys like that on the cheap for game day.

Mitchell was also out for much of the season. We really didn’t finish with the guys who were penciled in and we made a run and made the playoffs with a game to go. Tannehill also went down and he was a big part of that run. Well done Gase and staff and the personnel dept. Really remarkable when you think about it.

Yes, remarkable, especially after the 1-4 start. Shows that this franchise is finally coming together and what good coaching can do as well.

Matt Ryan in his 9th season finally has a team that helped him get to the Super Bowl.
    He improved his comp % by 3.6% over last year, nearly doubled his TD & cut his INT’s in half.
    I wonder if he had fans bashing him and calling for his replacement over those 9 seasons? 😉

I think even more than just some personnel moves, this team building more chemistry and discipline will be a big factor. The org knows what it has and doesn’t have. Upgrade those areas with some newbees and let them absorb the precedent that has been established. We’re going to be a better team in 2017.

Calm down with Lippett, he’s aiight. lol

The perfect example of developmental player. He has the tools. He needs to really learn what the position is all about, not just running with receivers. There’s more to it than that.

24-23 Atlanta

34-27 ATL

35 – 21 atl

Deon Jones LB with the stop on 3rd & 1….whoop….come on down Duke Riley

Alright Dion Jones

Remember Duke Riley is compared to him

Hello Freeman 🙂

Deon Jones again, this time in nice coverage down the sidelines with the PD.

So far the pass protection in this game is horrible

Are you allowed to sack Brady twice in one series? lol
    That was entertaining!

Falcons avg 33.75 pts a gm over the 16 game season…WOW

Wow so far a defensive game.

Wooooohoooooo

Great game by dion jones so far

WTG Atlanta!!!! Blount fumble.

Deion Jones on an MVP pace…. 🙂

Let the Julio show begin.

This game is just so much better than I imagined it could be.

46. Falcons looking like they want this one! 14-0

Now the penalties start

Refs want to keep NE in this damn game, that last one was BS.

Bye bye Patsies
    Bye bye Patsies

Brady, the greatest QB in history….LMAO

Alford was a great draft pick too, finally really emerging in his 3rd-4th year.
    Gives us something to look forward to with Howard & Lippett.

I wonder who Gisele is going to be blaming this on?

Go Falcons!!! It’s so big when you can score, you need weapons. You put so much pressure on Brady and the Patriots. They know the Falcons can keep scoring, and now down 21, they have to really be feeling it.

55. naplesfan2010 says:

come in halftime

57. naplesfan2010 says:

holding breath, hoping this lead holds

I kinda thought Lady Gaga was close to 50 years old

She’s barely over 30…

• herdfan says:

ahem….and what is wrong with being 50 years old????????

Nothing

I’m almost there myself herd

But a 30 year old shouldn’t look 50

50, Herdfan?? Why my oldest DAUGHTER IS 51 !!!!!
        And, Jordi, I believe you stuck your pig’s foot in your mouth, my friend!
        —————-
        NOW, to the serious stuff. New England can kiss their ground game good-bye. And Tom-boy can stash the fake hand-offs b/c the Falcons aren’t biting. Look for more big hits on Giselle’s little prince the second half of this game. –Too bad, eh??
        ——————-
        IF, and this is a big “IF,” the Falcons score on their opening drive in the 3rd quarter, THIS GAME IS OVER! But, if the Pats stop Atlanta and score a TD, we’ve got the semblance of a ball game. But my crystal ball says the end of the Cheatriots dynasty is at hand.
        ——————
        NOW would be a good time to plan to see several Dolphin games in the upcoming season. Brady will be 40. And Miami’s closer to catching the Pats then they were two hours ago. BRING ON THE 2017 SEASON!!

• herdfan says:

Actually OD I’m 55. I’m proud of it. No problem here. It’s the pain for no apparent reason that comes with it that drives me crazy.

Glad I didn’t hear Gagga bash Trump in her show as previously reported that she wanted to do.
    Keep it classy.

OD, LMAO @ Look for more big hits on Giselle’s little prince.

Good Stuff my friend.

Sova!

This is just so much fun.

Game is sova for it started! !

I’m truly enjoying this. No question Atlanta’s defense is improved, but their offense makes that team go, and then opposing teams get all crazy because they know it’s difficult to keep up with that offense. Piggy, you getting it? lol

You do need talent on defense too, but it’s nice to have one unit be special, and we’re a lot closer to being special on offense than we are on defense. That much you have to admit.

WHERE’S DANDY DON MEREDITH?? –“TURN OUT THE LIGHTS, THE PARTY’s OVER!!”
    ———————
    THE PATRIOTS HAVE NOW LOST MORE SUPER BOWLS (5) THAN ANY OTHER FRANCHISE IN NFL HISTORY. AND Tom-Boy is 4-3 (should be 3-4 but for Pete Carroll).
    ———————
    Brady IS NOT the greatest QB in history.
    Belicheat IS NOT the greatest coach in history (but he is the greatest Cheater).
    And BOB KRAP IS NOT the greatest owner in history. (but he IS the greatest financier of cheating!)
    ——————-
    It’s OVER, CHEATRIOT FANS!! – – It’s OVER!!

66. naplesfan2010 says:

nail in the coffin baby

67. naplesfan2010 says:

btw I thought Lady Gaga’s show was frickin awesome.

Shit, missed extra point just screwed my square for the 3rd qtr score…ugh

LMAO, Luvin OD’s commentary from the peanut gallery. Great stuff man. 🙂

70. naplesfan2010 says:

doink
    erp

71. naplesfan2010 says:

fist pump!!!!!
    Atlanta needs to run the ball now.

Sick catch by Julio…Oh My!

We need Parker to start playing more like Julio.

74. naplesfan2010 says:

awww come on Falcons please don’t blow this … pleeeeeease

Let’s go Falcons
    Make a big defensive play

Looks like we have a game here.

I sooo need the Falcons to get the ball back & kneel on it w/o NE scoring.
    Atl 8 & NE 0

Such a rigged WWE BS game. NE fake azz dynasty BS.

79. naplesfan2010 says:

they blew it

NE is going to pull this out. Atlantas D can’t stop them.

That’s game

I’m SICK!!

They can call PI, but they can’t call the holding on the TD

At least Alabma lost…

Sickening . . . Just awful. They just don’t lose big games. I watched the 2 point conversion, and Hogan totally blocked before Amendola touched the ball, but it’s the Patriots, so they can’t be a call.

I can’t believe the Falcons blew a 25 point second half lead.

What drove me crazy was how poorly Atlanta’s returners were. How do you field a kickoff at the 2 YD line, and go out of bounds at the 5? Does the guy have any awareness at all? They started almost every drive after a kickoff inside the 20. Pathetic.

Hopefully the falcons are neve in the postseason again

That was ridiculous

Well, next season, we’re just going to have knock the Patriots out of the playoffs and win the division.

• Brian in NY says:

It’s really the key to any success for us. You can’t expect to go into NE in the playoffs and come out victorious.

You kind of have to feel like “Can this EVER end? Will the Patriots ever suck? Will I be alive to see it? FUCK!!!!!!!!!

Mike,
    Honestly, the only way it’s going to end is with Brady and Belichick gone. It sucks, but that’s our reality.

I meant to ask someone here, why was New England the visiting team?

93. naplesfan2010 says:

We have to beat the Patriots. Beat them. Not ask anyone else to beat them. WE have to beat them. It is up to the Dolphins to stop this domination.

Belicheat and his deal with the devil…

I thought the team with the best record and highest seeding would be the home team, and that would be NE at 14-2.

I think it rotates every year Mike

Whomp Whomp

I’m going to bed- sick to my stomach

99. So you’re in FG position and all you need to do is not do something stupid like take a sack…………and you take a sack. Matt Ryan is a sack.

100. TOP SECRET says:

winner of “pro bowl” dictates home field status.

101. naplesfan2010 says:

At least Clemson won the National Championship, and the Dolphins won 10 and made the playoffs and didn’t back in either.

I’m going to concentrate on that stuff and hope Miami can start the New Dynasty.

102. naplesfan2010 says:

That was just an utter and complete collapse.
    Atlanta got out-coached and both offense and defense choked.

103. TOP SECRET says:

it was unusually pleasant to see a half time show that wasn’t used as a liberal pulpit for the mentally unbalanced entertainment industry…..good job Lady Gaga.

104. naplesfan2010 says:

How do you blow a 25 point lead with a high-powered offense and less than a half a game left to play?

I think the Falcons put it on cruise control. When you go away from what got you there in the first place, sometimes it comes back to bite you. Their defense totally collapsed too, and I don’t think they expected that to happen.

• naplesfan2010 says:

Bellichek made adjustments at half-time. Atlanta had no answers.
        The pats double-teamed Jarrett and neutralized Beasley and Atlanta had zero pass rush.

• I think the better question is how does a veteran qb, a guy who’s a “professional”, who is one of the best in the game, who knows the team is in fg range, knows the down and distance and knows the #1 thing you don’t want to do in that situation is take a sack, take a sack?

105. TOP SECRET says:

falcons had a 25 point lead…….patriots had them right where they wanted them….smh

106. TOP SECRET says:

damn….not even my team and I was yelling…….DUDE, THROW THE FUCKING BALL AWAY !

While it would have been satisfying to see Atlanta beat them, it’s still another team beating them. It will be extra satisfying to just knock them off ourselves. We need a strong FA and a good draft, and then take it from there.

108. naplesfan2010 says:

Lou
    that sack was a prime example of the choke job that gripped the whole coaching staff and skill players for Atlanta. Why did someone on the sidelines not yell to Ryan “just don’t take a sack and we win with a FG?”
    Why were they passing on the play where Ryan fumbled? which btw if Brady had had that happen, it would have been an incomplete pass. But why not run off some clock?
    Why did their return men keep making bonehead returns?

Coaches choked choked choked.

• TOP SECRET says:

VALID questions my friend.

• If you’re a veteran qb should you really need someone in that situation yelling from the sidelines to tell you to not take a sack?
      Just saying that a qb with his experience in that situation should know what the situation is and should know not to take a sack. Wouldn’t you say so?
      You can also go back and look at the play where he got hit and fumbled and say how is it that Freeman just let a guy go free to the qb?
      How is it that when all Atlanta has to do is run clock out they have two players go down and stop the clock?
      A lot of suspicious looking things going on if you ask me; although I know nobody cares about my opinion.

109. naplesfan2010 says:

Hey Lou, btw, why is YOUR question the better question?

We have to put them down. As long as they get no resistance in our division, they have the easiest path to the SB. We have to END that

• TOP SECRET says:

it is my greatest hope…..go dolphins.

• naplesfan2010 says:

Maybe Buffalo can help a bit, maybe we can get some help from the NFC south and AFC west. We do need to not be the only team to beat them or they will go 14-2. Maybe Carolina can resurge, KC, Denver, Brees, Atlanta in a revenge match, up and comers TB and Oaktown, The frickin LA Chargers. Sigh.

Of course we have to beat all of them as well.

I’m really looking forward to FA. We don’t have to go crazy, I’d say 2 impact signings, and some depth players.

Naples

Yeah sure, we can’t do it by ourselves, but us taking 2 from the Patriots is a good start. If we can take 2 from them, we’re probably going to win a lot of other games too.

113. naplesfan2010 says:

I think a QB has so much on his plate plus noise plus adrenaline etc etc … he needs somebody to have his back. a cooler head to well coach him!
    what did the head coach do for atlanta in this game. I saw him do nothing.

114. naplesfan2010 says:

I am not a boy for any cows.

115. naplesfan2010 says:

ok that was my least favorite SB ever, at least of all the ones Miami did not lose, and i have watched them all.
    So I am gonna go get drunker and eventually sleep may come.

Let’s plan for some new LBs guys and a DE or two and let’s get ’em next year Dolphins.
    oh and one more thing: To Hell with GOAT Bellicheat and GOAT Ladyboy.

116. naplesfan2010 says:

Lets not Let’s … sorry

117. naplesfan2010 says:

oh shit let’s is correct … I’m DONE!

LOL @ Lou – I’m out, goodnight all!

119. I know the Falcons didn’t end up winning this game but, once again, another team gives everyone a blueprint for beating the Patriots and let’s see who follows the blueprint.
    Speed on defense; especially at the LB and DE positions. Pats receivers were catching the ball and getting almost nothing in yac.
    This is why I want to see speed at DE and LB in this next draft. I don’t want a slow, three down LB like Hightower in FA.
    This is why I really like a guy like Reddick for us along with a guy like Smoot off the edge. In addition I want to see us go after Cutrer and Goforth at db. Reddick is a 4.5 guy, Cutrer is a 4.49 guy and Goforth is a 4.43 guy. Give me speed or go home.

120. The entire draft: