Dolphins @ Falcons: Almost Pokied

bush copy

shhhhhh!!!

You didn’t see me…

camopokey

It’s me…Colonpokey…but I’ve been hiding, like the Dolphins offense this season

You almost saw me.  Some of you might have felt like you met me after the fist half against the Falcons.

It must have seemed to most of you that you were sure to get pokied after watching another scoreless half against the Falcons.

If you are counting, that’s 3 total offensive points by the Dolphins in the first 5 games this season.  And that is pathetic.  On Sunday, some most of you were furious – what a horrible first half…same old Dolphins offense…what is Gase doing?!?!?

ajayi

Actually to be fair:  Jay Ajayi had a pretty good first half.  Ajayi, who has been running hard all season continued that trend against the Falcons in the first half.

Ajayi actually finished the game with 130 yards rushing on 26 carries.

But Ajayi’s strong first half almost made the pain of the first half offense worse!  The passing offense was  nowhere to be found and just when the Dolphins were driving late in the first half – Jay Cutler threw a horrible interception.

CutlervAtlanta

There haven’t been a lot of good moments for Jay Cutler this season – and the first half of the Falcons game was no different.

The Dolphins went to the half down 17 – 0.  It looked certain to be a blow out loss.

But then the second half happened.  The Dolphins defense would not give up a point in the 2nd half.

The Dolphins defense is one of two NFL defenses to not allow 20 or more in game this season.

At this point – are any of you surprised by the defensive stellar play.

What was surprising was that the Dolphins offense woke up.  Jay Cutler threw 2 second half touchdowns. One to Kenny Stills who finished with 4 catches for 49 yards and the other on a nifty play to Jarvis Landry.

Miami Dolphins v Atlanta Falcon

Speaking of Landry, the heart and soul of the Dolphins helped convert a critical 3rd down late in the game with his patented scrappiness.

What can you say about Landry and Ajayi – they bring it every week!

And so far, the 2017 Dolphins defense also brings it every week!

Matt Ryan finished the game with 248 yards and only 1 touchdown.  The Falcons collectively ran for 100 total rushing yards – but a lot of this yards were on a few big plays.

Impressively Julio Jones was held under 100 yards receiving.  Xavier Howard deserves a lot of credit for helping shut Jones down. But Howard’s rookie counterpart Cordrea Tankersley played well and helped set up the game winning interception by Reside Jones.

JonesINt vs ATL

But it wasn’t just the Dolphins secondary.  It was the contributions of the usual:  Wake, Suh and Kiko.

And the contributions of the newcomers as well:  Timmons and Hayes.

This defense can play!

hamstercap

Speaking of playing, I hear some of you are planning on having some fun next week at the fest!

This is the first fest against the jests and I’m sure most of you are excited to make some noise.

I can’t make it myself…

I’m going diving…

pokey diving

221 Responses to Dolphins @ Falcons: Almost Pokied

Who is Colonpokey going to crawl home to now that Sanchez and Smith are gone

Out LB corps look great now compared to what we were expecting… and we have some depth as well.. nothing gonna be easy but was a very Gutsy W today .. cant wait until MacDonald joins the Frey ? Fray ?

Mike E i replied to you on last page on Red River Ex

5. naplesfan2010 says:

If we beat the jest and the Falcons and Bucs win (not impossible), we are in first place in the AFC East.

WHO AM I???

Player A: I’m 1st place in my division at 4-2 having played/started QB 5 games this year. I have thrown only 2 INTs thus far. I’ve been sacked 16 times this year thus far.

Player B: I’m 1st place in my division at 4-2 having played/started QB 5 games this year. I have thrown only 1 INT thus far. I’ve been sacked 4 times this year thus far.

Who is player A and who is player B???

A brady ? B keenum ??

8. Krishna says:

A. Wentz. B. Watson-Texans.

manitobafinfan says:
    October 15, 2017 at 8:39 pm
    A brady ? B keenum ??
    ————-
    DAYUM!!! YOU are EXACTLY correct, Manitoba!!! PROPERS!!!

WHO AM I???

Who is player A and who is player B???
      ———-
      Player A is Tom Lady*
      Player B is Case Keenum

EXCELLENT, MANITOBA!!!

Woo hoo. Its called know your questioner 😎

That moment when you are not watching your idol!
    He’s watching you!

I am drooling about Brady’s sack ‘s.

Our defense will have a great day against Brady if this continues is what i MEANT

MF i have immense confidence in our Ds ability to sack Brady.. offence putting up a ton points on them ?? Not so much yet … baby steps 👍👍

16. naplesfan2010 says:

Hogan got hurt. Is he out long term?

Darkwa damn

I loved him

Former Phin Orleans Darkwa making some noise for the G-Men, ‘night!

19. Phindog says:

Burp !!!

Next week’s game is HUGE to see what this team is. Glad it’s going to be the fest. Should be a good one! Betcha Mike E won’t be staying in the parking lot. 😉

LMAO @ Toba! That was pretty damn funny

Jets suck suck suck!!!

23. days64 says:

That was our biggest comeback since 2005… And another great game for Reshad!

That play where Landry came in motion and then reversed to get wide open and catch the TD was great.

This Defense is looking great, malaluga, timmons and alonso, this has to be one of the better group of LBers we’ve had in a long time, the addition of Hayes on the DL and it wont be long until we get Mcdonald back. we’re loaded,

I still can’t believe we won yesterday. Had the game on the radio driving home, got there just in time to see the first TD!

Hopefully the offense keeps building on the 2nd half they had yesterday.

Go Dolphins!!!

My Monday morning is a mess
    Outside the glow of Monday morning victory high

That was easily one of the most surprising Dolphins wins in quite some time. Just WOW!

Herd – I’m guessing you’re right, I’m going to go watch the game. Still shocked at what I saw yesterday. I thought they were left for dead, and they owned the 2nd half. The Falcons must be awful tired of choking away games like that. Dan Quinn probably blew a gasket yesterday

That was one of the most dominant halfs by the Dolhins against a good team in a long, long time. Watched it again last night….and kicking myself right now for erasing the game after I did.

We are 3rd in least points allowed per game at 16.8. Even if been a bend but not break at times, also up to #11 in fewest yards allowed at 315.4. And that includes going against Rivers, Brees and Ryan. This D is for real.

And Chiefs lost last night.

Have to figure with a concussion, Pouncey will probably be out next week. Then again, we scored ZERO points with Pouncey, and 21 with Brendel, so . . . .

Rigel Spikes‏ @MF13SS now
    Jay Cutler is such a statistical anomaly this year. Near dead-last in most categories, yet tied for most 4QCs (2) and GWDs (3). #Dolphins

As of right now, our Defense is #3 (PPG), #4 (YPG), #3 Run-Defense (YPG), and #13 Pass-Defense (YPG).

Our Defense is keeping us in games, despite Jay Cutler.

Brett Brecheisen‏ @bbrech 2m2 minutes ago
    NFL teams with records better than the Dolphins (12-4) over their past 16 reg. season games: Kansas City (13-3). New England (13-3).

We have the feel of an early 2000s Ravens team, minus Chris McAllister and Samari Rolle.
    Jay Ajayi = Jamal Lewis and Jay Cutler = Trent Dilfer.

Joe Schad‏Verified account @schadjoe 4m4 minutes ago
    Jay Cutler and Adam Gase are tight. And Gase never saw Cutler on the brink of being benched.

38. drg says:

Well that was one of the more surprising wins we’ve had in a while. I pretty much wrote off watching the rest of the game after halftime. Went to church and watched 17-7, 17-14, and.. stopped checking so I could watch it after. Winning is fun.

I don’t mean this in a negative sense, but this has got to be one of the most lucky or opportunistic teams in the NFL. Our record in close games is unbelievable and most likely, unsustainable. Just that last game had three disastrous punts in a row, some very fortunate penalties, and a nice bounce off a deflection right into Jone’s arms.

Plenty of good fortune is of your own making and the Dolphins deserve a ton of credit for taking advantage. I’m just enjoying the ride and hoping we can put a few things together to shore up our weaknesses.

39. drg says:

MF, I am an avid Cutler doubter, but you have to respect Gase for his willingness to stick by his guys. Definitely a player coach.

Funny recap, Piggy. It was a great win.

It was one of our biggest wins in years. After the season is over probably the one game we remember from it……like beating the Ravens when going 0-16 was seriously in play.

I was to the point where I thought after another scoreless half of football, Gase had to make the change just to shake things up, but he proved me wrong. End of story. We can think what we want, he knows what he’s doing, so either you trust him or you don’t.

• pheloniusphish says:

Exactly. And since none of us get paid to be NFL coaches, GMs, or scouts money says trust the guy who does.

Yeah, and this whole “tight” with Cutler thing is something that’s being created by reporters, as if Gase is keeping Cutler in there because he’s his best bud, and not because he thinks it’s best for the team.

pheloniusphish says:
    October 16, 2017 at 12:06 pm
    Haters gotta hate.
    ———
    I don’t see it that way at ALL. Gase has proven he’s a stud HC (12-4 over our last 16 regular season games) and Cutler does have a winning record this year (3-2). Something just doesn’t seem right with Cutler… you can see it on the tape and it shows up in the stats. And the fact that Cutler is a bottom-tiered QB this season also speaks volumes.

I’ve no reason to distrust Gase, but I’d heed this: proceed with caution at the team’s risk. We could EASILY be 0-5… our negative 23 point differential is indicative of as much.

• Jahndoh30 says:

I don’t get how I’m putting the team at risk if I throw caution to the wind? j/k LOL…

Fwiw, I don’t see differential after 5 games as incredibly meaningful. Lets see how it all plays out. This team is flawed, and we all acknowledge that, but Mike’s right. Gase knows what he’s doing and what we have to say about it is irrelevant. He led us from 1-2 to 3-2 in spite of great odds and last year he led us from 1-4 to 10-6. Dude has earned the benefit of our doubt.

In terms of last year, keep in mind we had Tannehill (93.5 PR to Cutler’s 75.2 PR this year). That is HUGE… the disparity between the two.

Prof Lou is going to love (not) what I just posted above, LOL.

Let’s say the season ended today. What positions would you target in Round 1 of the 2018 Draft?

44. drg says:

MF,

I don’t think Moore is a huge upgrade by any means. He will still throw some horrible picks and put us in a bad spot. At least with Moore you get some big plays mixed in. We just haven’t seen any of that with Cutler. He made a nice throw to Stills for that first TD and the 4th down throw to Landry was a good one. Otherwise, it was all Ajayi, good run blocking, and some timely penalties that moved the ball for us.

That’s going to have to be our identity. Power running game with some play action mixed in and a stout defense. Our run D is night and day compared to last year. The young corners are improving and the LBs are doing a decent job in coverage. Jones looks like what we expected these last two games.

45. drg says:

Mike,

Agreed that Gase feels Cutler give us the best chance to win. I think he’s wrong, but….

Some of it is my bias too. I like Moore. He goes 100% and seems like a good teammate. Cutler gives off the exact opposite vibe and it’s tough to root for guys like that.

mf13ss says:
    October 16, 2017 at 12:39 pm
    ———-
    THIS should single-handedly answer everyone’s question regarding Gase/Cutler vs last year with Tannehill. Our passer rating from the QB position is down nearly 20 points.

Do we now understand why I have reservations with this year’s status-quo regarding Gase/Cutler? I’m not hating, just putting out facts. #TheMoreYouKnow 😉

Maybe they find his weaknesses on film and exploit them, but Tankersley is looking like a keeper. And Howard is looking good too….even sometimes against Julio Jones. And have loved Lippett”s progression. He comes back strong and CB is looking pretty good next year, and all are young.

October 16, 2017 at 12:36 pm
    OL and TE if the value is there.
    Jahndoh30 says:
    October 16, 2017 at 12:36 pm
    defensive backfield, offensive line, BPA, not necessarily in that order. OL needed more than it got last offseason IMHO.
    ———
    Thank you, cats. I’m not sure myself, hence asking the question. I want to say CB (we’re cutting Maxwell next year) and we seem to have a deficiency in the passing-D, but Xavien and Tankersley are only going to get better from here on out… or at least that’s the hope.

I think QB has to be up there, contingent upon Tannehill’s recovery… but that’s all a waiting game and can’t be decided right now, of course.

I’d say O-Line (Pouncey and James are suspect vs health and $$$, respectively… and Bushrod is no spring chicken), TE, possibly even LB (Timmons and Maualuga could be 1-year rentals, we’ll see), and a stud DB. JMO at this point.

I would love to get a legit TE here. So many teams have not just one, but two TE’s that are better than our best. TE is a such a big part of the passing game these days. We have a veteran in Julius Thomas that sucks as a blocker, and hasn’t made a positive impact on our offense. We need a true receiving threat at TE, and if he can block, that would be great too. A few of those guys have been around in the last few drafts, we need to get one!

I agree with you in general regarding the TE position… but what if Cutler is a part of the problem this year? Gase’s Offenses have predominately targeted/utilized the TE position. Do ya think Gase all of the sudden said, “Hey, Jay… don’t target Julius Thomas any more than 3x a game”?

NONE of this makes any sense to me (not YOU, Mike E… rather, Cutler’s futility).

M

Honestly, comparing what Tannehill did to what Cutler is doing doesn’t explain anything IMO. Tannehill was in training camp and was the QB of this team the 4 previous years. Cutler was retired, missed training camp and most of the preseason, and wasn’t in game shape. If it makes you feel better, you can continue to use those comparisons, but I don’t they’re even close to being fair. If you had to guess, do you think Cutler will get better, stay the same, or be worse the rest of the season?

I’ve answered this question very many times already, bud. I honestly don’t think Cutler is healthy right now. You can see the difference in him from PSG3 to RSG2. He got hurt in some way, likely in RSG1.

Cutler went from a Marino-esque arm in PSG3 to less than Mr. Pennington’s noodle-arm in under 3 weeks. He’s not right, friend.

I’m going to say this simply as what I see, and believe. I still don’t think Jay Cutler is comfortable yet. Ever hear of a pitcher who throws lights out in his warmups, has life on his fastball, and movement etc.? I think Cutler is like that, because he’s not confident yet, he still senses pressure or sees it, and the majority of his throws are still off balance. Almost every throw is on the run or off his back foot. It’s obvious he doesn’t throw well on the run, and everyone loses velocity when you throw off balance or of your back foot. Maybe at some point during the season he gets more confident and comfortable, and the protection is better, and he starts stepping IN to this throws rather than away from them. Just how I see it bud, I don’t think he’s injured.

Oops, forgot to continue the baseball pitcher story, where he throws a great warmup, but then can’t pitch once he gets in the game. The pressure of the game, including the pressure of the defense can make a great arm look inadequate if the QB is throwing off balance all the time, as Cutler appears to be.

Mike E. has tight end envy.

drg

I think Moore could provide a spark, but I think Gase is looking at the big picture, the entire season, not just one game. If Moore gets hurt, or just fizzles out, Cutler will now come in not getting enough snaps, and it’s a bad situation. Moore is a relief pitcher, not a starter, and Gase is going to use him like that.

I agree with Mike on Cutler. I don’t think he’s hurt but I don’t think he’s the same as he once was. His arm has looked better in recent weeks but his mechanics are still flawed from some of what Mike is saying. Let’s hope he gets at least a little better and the support around him improves as well.

It really doesn’t matter who agrees with who, y’all, SMH, LOL. Whether Cutler is hurt, rusty, past his prime, or is just plain lost out there… he’s got a 75.2 passer rating this year: that’s what matters most.

Daunte Culpepper got ran out of town after he posted a 77.0 passer rating with us in ’06. The lowest passer rating Tannehill ever posted in a single season was 76.1… and that was as a rookie (we’re talking about a vet of 11 years now in Cutler, who posted a 88.5 passer rating as a rookie himself back in ’06).

Matt Moore posted a passer rating of 87.1 in ’11 as a starter… and he was summarily dismissed by the fans of our franchise. Moore also posted a passer rating of 105.6 last year over 3 games after Tannehill went out for the season.

Chad “The Robot” Henne posted a passer rating of 75.4 for us in ’10 (6-10 record)… that’s what we’re looking at right now in Jay Cutler.

I think (???) we can all agree that we’re lucky Cutler/Gase doesn’t have us at 0-5 right now. That’s the only point that really matters when evaluating our QB play this season. And if Cutler’s INT that was called back after roughing the passer had stood, we’d have likely lost yesterday’s game… and Cutler’s passer rating for the year would likely be in the 60s.

Just something to chew on, that’s all.

That’s a lot of IFs, bro. We’re not 0-5, we’re 3-2. Lots of teams could be this or that based on a handful of plays. The Pats could be 1-5 but they’re not, they’re 4-2.

Let’s hope Cutler and the offense gets better from here.

• Jahndoh30 says:

^ This. We’ve been on the wrong side of those “ifs” for many years, so I’m not going to second guess it when a couple balls finally start bouncing our way. “If” NE didn’t illegally steal our audibles in 2001 we might have won a championship…

drg says:
    October 16, 2017 at 11:48 am
    ————————-

I was on the verge of walking away and not watching the 2nd half, but thankfully my wife showed more fortitude than I and refused to quit watching. I changed my mind and joined her. It was extremely fun to watch the comeback in its entirety.

It’s funny because the last time I walked away from a Fins game before the end was the last quarter of the Ravens game in the ’07 season. Two times could just be an anomaly, but I do have to wonder…

M

Despite all that, you didn’t answer my question. Do you think Cutler is going to get better as the season progresses, worse, or stay the same?

57. Jahndoh30 says:

You know, I’m not surprised that so many here were ready to turn it off at the end of the first half, but I felt differently about this game then I did vs. the Jets or the Saints. The scoreboard didn’t show it, but I felt like we were still in it at half time and Ajayi had asserted his will which would lead to scoring in the 2nd half. It was a hunch, and I didn’t even get too negative down 17-0, though, I’ll say, that’s dumb luck, because I’ve been plenty negative with scores like that in the past…

58. naplesfan2010 says:

PFF TOP 5 GRADES:
    HB Jay Ajayi, 91.0 overall grade

Edge Cameron Wake, 88.6 overall grade

RT Ja’Waun James, 82.0 overall grade

LB Lawrence Timmons, 81.5 overall grade

WR Kenny Stills, 80.3 overall grade

James is having a good season

60. naplesfan2010 says:

PFF
    PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
    QB JAY CUTLER, 49.3 OVERALL GRADE
    Make no mistake about this, the Dolphins won this game on the back of their ground game. Cutler struggled throughout, completing just four passes the entire games further 10 yards in the air and none in the ‘going-deep’ category (20-plus yards in the air). He can thank a Grady Jarrett roughing the passer call that he only walked away with one poor interception (that practically took points off the board), and Jay Ayaji that his team picked up the win.

61. naplesfan2010 says:

HB JAY AJAYI, 91.0 OVERALL GRADE
    A big time performance from a team that really needed it. If the line gave Ajayi a hole, he victimised Atlanta at the second level. And if they didn’t he more often than not made something happen anyway with 96 of his yards coming after contact. He is without doubt the foundation of this offense and the Falcons defense simply was not physical enough to slow him down.

62. naplesfan2010 says:

EDGE CAMERON WAKE, 88.6 OVERALL GRADE
    Isn’t Wake supposed to be slowing down at his tender age of 35? Tell that to Ryan Schraeder who was mercilessly worked over with the full compliment of what Wake is capable of. He ended the day with two sacks and five hurries with five more recorded wins as he worked over the returning right tackle with an array of speed and power moves (two of his pressures coming on bull rushes).

63. naplesfan2010 says:

CB CORDREA TANKERSLEY, 78.8 OVERALL GRADE
    Maybe if the ball doesn’t land in the arms of Reshad Jones, people aren’t talking about Tankersley after the game. But the grade wouldn’t change as the rookie third-rounder continues to make a mark after being forced into action earlier than most anticipated. Three games and now three pass break ups for a player who may have been the 16th cornerback off the board, but who we (patting ourselves on the back prematurely) figured should go a lot earlier.

64. naplesfan2010 says:

James basically stone walled Vic Beasley … from PFF
    EDGE VIC BEASLEY, 45.1 OVERALL GRADE
    Did the Falcons rush Beasley back too soon from injury? The sack specialist failed to record a pressure against Ja’Waun James and looked short of his normal explosiveness on stunts where he does so much damage. Incredibly he rushed the passer 20 times, a number that feels far too high given the lack of impact he had.

Jahn,

I felt the same way. They were actually moving the ball a bit on Atlanta, but penalties and and INT derailed some of those drives. I’m not saying I thought that they were going to come back and win, but they didn’t look as anemic as they have for the past three games.

66. drg says:

Mike,

The only reason I think Cutler will get better is because he can’t get much worse. Who cares about a potential injury? We are 3-2 and definitely in the playoff hunt. I want the best QB in there. Moore has played enough that we know what we are getting. That’s been quite a bit better than what Cutler has given us so far.

It’s a moot point anyway. Gase isn’t changing unless the it gets so bad that he is forced to. By that point we would be out of the running anyway. I’ll get out my Cutler pom poms and root for the best as always.

• Brian in NY says:

Let’s not forget his $10 million guaranteed. That definitely plays into this. I believe that Cutler will get better as well.

Regardless of what I think of Moore vs Cutler Cutler will be the starter for the immediate future. We are 3-2. Gase is not making a change at this time

I can’t believe we are 3-2. What a wacky year it is

69. Jahndoh30 says:

Jahn,

____________________
    Thanks for the reply Brian! That’s exactly why I posted, was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. I definitely said out loud “Now it’s a game!” after our first score of the 2nd half….was buying into a possible comeback at that point…

I saw we could run in the first half but had no confidence in Cutler to deliver on 3rd down. I thought with such a large lead we would be forced to pass too much and they would tee off on Cutler. The key was the commitment and ability to keep running in the second half

70. drg says:

Jahn,

I have to admit I was shocked our D held them scoreless in the second half. They were giving up a lot of yards in the first so it was great to see them step up. Atlanta’s D got tired and Ajayi took it from there. Great win.

October 16, 2017 at 2:53 pm
    M

…Do you think Cutler is going to get better as the season progresses, worse, or stay the same?
    ————-
    I’m not sure being I/we don’t really don’t know why Cutler is one of the worst QBs in the NFL right now. Once again, we (as fans) don’t know if he’s hurt, rusty, past his prime, or is just plain lost out there in Gase’s Offense (he shouldn’t be).

My best guess is that he’s injured (I could be completely wrong). If so, I think he’s only going to get worse. If he’s past his prime, we’ll likely see more of the same. If he’s rusty, we should see some steady improvement week in and week out. If he’s lost out there in Gase’s Offense, I don’t know what to say!

All I do know is that Cutler is holding this Offense back, BIG TIME. This was supposed to be a juggernaut Offense and it’s been more of a punchline.

I hear you man. That’s what I figured you thought, and you might be right. I’m still leaning towards he’s just not comfortable yet here yet. I’m thinking he’ll continue to improve as we go along, with bumps along the way, as all QB’s have. I just think missing the full preseason along with training camp didn’t give him a chance to get up to speed, combined with the fact he wasn’t trying to stay in game shape, because he had no intentions of playing again.

I think there’s a lot of liability issues now for a team to try to hide the fact a player may be hurt. I don’t think Cutler himself has anything to gain by hiding something. He just has an apathetic demeanor about him. He’s inconsistent. I think it’s just the way he is.

Totally agree Herd. There’s nothing to gain by hiding an injury for anyone involved.
      I see it starting to come together. It’s still pretty early in the season we just need to stay healthy and I think we’ll be fine.

I’m glad Brissett isn’t a patsie anymore. I kinda like him. He tore our ass last year. He just goes in unprepared as a starter would be and he just balls.

Another Fest blowout would be a blast 💥🐬🍺🏈🐽👍

I still think that Cutler is playing scared!
    Most of his passes are low and away from the defenders (and receiver).

I think Gase has him on a very short leash!

That is the only explanation I can come up with for all the balls thrown at the receivers knees!

Lord know we didn’t go get Julius Thomas to catch the low thrown balls!

Playing scared and steering the ball. He has to play loose and he’ll start feeling it. He nice zip on more passes yesterday than any other game so far, at least that’s how it looked to me. I saw the ball coming out quicker yesterday as well.

Agree with Wyoming

Colts will have good trade value for Brisette next year

Brissett was set free and he’s playing while Garropolo remains in purgatory

Notice we went with more big 2-TE even using Gray as a FB a couple of times to get Ajayi going and get more hats on hats? That’s how we should play, then use some of the wide sets mixed in.

😉

What’s that about strength of schedule again? It changes every year. This year is about who stays healthy. It’s wide open even for teams not in this seeding. It’s awesome.that we overcame a tough offseason and start to the season. I think we’ll all take 3-2. LOL

REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THE FEST!! –And THIS YEAR’s FEST features the most important game in the history of these get togethers, a game with definite playoff implications against our MOST HATED RIVALS!!
    ———————-
    I NOTICED that the “spread” dropped form Mia by 5 and 1/2 to just 3 today. Guess Las Vegas is NOT convinced that the Dolphins are the real deal. Gotta admit, with Cutler at QB, I’m not convinced, either. Cutler really “stunk it up” a few weeks ago when the Fins got blown out by the Jets. And Todd Bowles just LOVES to beat the team, and the owner (Steve Ross) who dumped Bowles in favor of Joe Philbin!! Don’t think recent history doesn’t play a role in this historically bitter rivalry!!!

Coldest morning of Fall 2017 here in NJ. Temps went below 40 to 37 degrees this morning. This is what Fall is supposed to be, it’s just been warmer than usual. I had to wear a warm jacket for the first time in a long time.

LOL Doggy – Hope we don’t need one this week either

The Grestest Dolphin

You never know exactly set up the tailgate till game day, but gonna aim for the same general area as last year. On the map below it is the orange lot on the East side in the lower-right hand corner. Entrances closest to it are 3 and 2A.

Com Czar Ken will have to have your cell # on gameday if you are ever going to find us though.

I was going to reply to M13 about the draft pick hing but i decided not to, but i did want to point out one thing that i did notice when i was thinking about it. Draft pick is about what position in the draft you pick at a lot of times, and if the season finished right now we would be picking somewhere between 18-24. Top 10 teams get to go to the playoffs, so 22-32 would be in the playoffs and im not sure exactly where in the 18-24 we are, but we are at the least just outside playoff range.

This isnt to say i feel we are playoff caliber, obviously our offense isnt, but i am saying we are not in such a bad place we can write this year off because other teams are in equally as bad a spot, and some of them, have an even worse prognosis for the rest of the year since they have lost vital members of their team.

Hey Toba – I sent you an email, but might not be the right email address. Check your mail, and if you don’t have one, let me know, I’ll resend it to the other address I have for you. Thanks!

D,

It’s all good, Bro. Nobody is saying we are or aren’t going to make the playoffs. I’m just trying to get a feel for our weaknesses right now. After all, we aren’t going to forfeit our 1st Round pick (or any picks) and our scouts are hard at work now more than ever.

Armando Salguero‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero 1h1 hour ago
    Miami Dolphins ProFootballFocus grades vs. Atlanta plus the issue with dropped passes

If there was ever a doubt Pete Prisco was a dolphins fan…..after the win he moved us from #24 to #13 in his power rankings after the Falcons win. We are still in the 20s or high-teens in most of the other ones.

I should’ve added him to my ‘man-crush’ list last year, but he’s on it now: Tarvarus McFadden, CB, FSU. He’s got the size/length that we like at CB (6’2″, 198), he’s got ball skillz (8 INT last year), and he’s physical.

McFadden had too many ‘gimmie’ INTs last year, but he earned some of them in his own right (high-pointing, fighting for the ball). Opposing Offenses aren’t throwing his way this year due to his prowess/reputation, so pay no attention to his stats… watch his tape (not highlights) this year.

McFadden might be the 1st CB off the board in ’18 with his skill-set, coupled with his size. He’d be a gift if he fell to us, IMO. Between McFadden, Howard, and Tankersley, we’d have an incredible corps of young CBs.

Problem: who would we move to nickle CB? Where does Tony Lippett fit in if we draft McFadden?

Not sure we go CB with our 1st pick, especially like you mentioned if Lippett is healthy and ready to go. If Tank plays well the rest of the way, we have Howard, Tankersley, Lippett and McCain. We could definitely use another corner, but 1st RD, I wouldn’t think so

If McFadden would fall to us and he’s the BPA, I think we’d draft him in a heartbeat… but I don’t always go with BPA when we have glaring needs elsewhere: I agree with you, Mike E.

Sufficed to say… I LUV McFadden’s potential and Maxwell will be cut next year at $0 dead money.

Absolutely

I tend to think
    You can never have too many DBs

Hal Habib
    ‎@gunnerhal Numbers don’t lie: Jay Cutler has less than 2 1/2 seconds to get off the average pass or get crunched.

What’s the NFL average

No idea, but from what I’ve been seeing, our guys aren’t getting separation that quick. I think it’s part of why Cutty is so jumpy

I tend to think falling behind on a regular basis hurts the ability to block pass rushers

It also doesn’t help to wait until the last few secs of the play clock repeatedly – that drives me crazy

DBs probably don’t give much cushio bc there is no reason to give much cushio

I’ll tell y’all what… our Secondary is going to be NICE next year with a year under both Howard and Tankersley’s belt (remember Howard went out early for the year in ’16), combined with Reshad and TJ.

Just remember we still have a problem at the nickle… and Tarvarus McFadden would likely be an upgrade over both Howard and Tankersley on the boundary, likely forcing one of the two into the nickle role. Tankersley is agile, quick, and smooth enough to man the nickle.

This would be OUR version of Seattle’s vaunted “The Legion of Boom”. Just thinking out loud! 🙂

October 17, 2017 at 1:57 pm (Edit)

**********************

I tend to think if he had more time, we wouldn’t be falling behind on a regular basis. 🙂

I specifically made a note in the 1st qtr to note missed opportunities to score that were missed – at no fault of the pass rush

When did you that, and where are they?

I noted it n my mind…lol

Actually during the game I think I might have posted soemthing about it

We had a bunch of yards in the ground and about 17 yards passing late into the 2nd qtr

And there were no sacks either

I think our OLs play goes south during the course of the game
        It’s still not very good play

Mike E and Pig,

Brian and I already have our TE woes figured out… his name is Mike Gesicki, PSU. #STUD

Watch the Landry block

M – I just checked him out I remember you two discussing him. Walter has him as the 5th best TE prospect as of now.

If the season ended today we would be picking in the #21 slot

I guess that is what 2-3 good quarters of football gets you😮

October 17, 2017 at 2:14 pm
    ———–
    LOL @ Walter 😆
    Trust Brian and me… Mike Gesicki is for REAL. You should be able to catch as many PSU games as you want in prime-time, now that they’re #2 in all the land.

Great play by Hayes here

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 6h6 hours ago
    Panthers released QB Brad Kaaya, per source.
    ———
    Get him on our PS. He’s no worse than Brandon Doughboy.

M

I wasn’t saying Walter’s football is right, just mentioning where he has Gesicki rated. His word is far from gospel, although he does some good work. I can’t watch college ball, I just don’t have the time.

Adam Caplan‏Verified account @caplannfl 32s32 seconds ago
    #49ers signing veteran DT Tony McDaniel, per his agent, @davidcanter.
    ——–
    Good for Tony!

And with that stated, we’ve done a TREMENDOUS job of stopping the run this year! I’d thought for sure we wouldn’t be able to rely on our DT rooks, but I stand corrected… thanks to improved LB play.

ProFootballReference‏Verified account @pfref 2m2 minutes ago
    Carson Wentz has gotten a first down on 55.1% 3rd down plays (passes + carries). The only other QB over 50% is Aaron Rodgers (min. 20+)

M

That’s a really tough stat to quantify. 3rd and what? I mean some teams are in manageable 3rd down situations most of the time, meaning like 3rd and 4 or less. I can assure you most times we’ve been in 3rd and long, which of course would tip the stats to a poor showing

Just picked up the Fest tickets. Old school rather than printouts, even if can’t take that much credit for them being so.

Fest folks…..might be your last chance to keep an actual one.

Crazy some of the names at the bottom of that list… Rapeburger, Rivers, Carr, Mariota….

Guess people haven’t been paying as much attention to Omar as they should.
    ——–
    “Too much success too early can become poison.”
    “Miami’s offense is struggling mightily.”
    “Miami’s offense has been putrid”
    “the unit’s struggles have served as a reality check for the man who made Tim Tebow look like a winning NFL quarterback.”
    “anyone who thinks this team is going anywhere if the offense doesn’t get fixed doesn’t understand football.”

October 17, 2017 at 5:13 pm
    M

———–
    Don’t kill the messenger, dude! 🙂 File your grievances to PFR or Adam Gase! LOL

Not killing the messenger – I was just asking, and saying that 3rd and what matters. Some teams that have been moving the ball well on 1st and 2nd down usually have easier 3rd down conversions. Wouldn’t you agree?

M13, do you think Brad Kaaya is NFL starter material?

Dolphin Art

Did anyone see Gordon Hayward Break his ankle? it was gruesome!

Jordan Phillips had a great game sunday

Yup his best game of the year. He was all over the place.

He has dominant talent. It’s all about how bad he wants it. But as inconsistent as he is, he’s still a worthy player in your rotation because he can be really disruptive against both the run and pass.

Son, that’s so crazy you mentioned Everson Griffen, I was going to mention him to Mike as another example.

I want to see the offense come out the same way we did against ATL, with 2-TE and get Ajayi going. He’s one of the best north/south runners in the game. Even when he’s going outside he’s going up field. He doesn’t dance, that’s not his game. He can wear on opposing defenses, make big runs and set up the passing game. He’s the bell cow, then Landry as part of the ball control passing game, and big play potential as well, even running the ball. He is a back once he has the ball in his hands. Those guys working the way they do can set up some big plays to Parker, Stills etc.

Fuck the bunched up WR groupings for 0-5 yard screen/pick plays. Instead of using it 10-12 times PG, how about 3-5 and then never throw to it. LOL

First qtr of the NBA season and he breaks his leg
    That is just horrible

The bell cow. 🙂

125. Tony Pauline‏
    @TonyPauline

Tony Pauline Retweeted Draft Analyst
    Also Kurt Benkert/QB/Viginia continues to move north on draft boards http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-60 …
    _________________________________