The Wedge Scouting Report: Nick Chubb, Georgia

Ahhh…there is nothing I like more than rolling over the remaining lifeforms after planetary conquest.  The feeling of dominance as you roll over their squishy bodies – smells like….victory!

IDL TIFF file

I imagine its what it feels like to be a dominating running back.   I saw some old videos of Herschel Walker and he must have felt the squishing bodies of the defenders underneath him.

Georgia has had some good running backs:  Walker, Todd Gurley and now Nick Chubb.

NickChubb4

The Positives:  Nick Chubb has been very productive at Georgia.  As a freshman no one expected much from him.  But when Todd Gurley went down with an unfortunate injury  Chubb picked up the slack – rushing for over 1,500 yards and 14 touchdowns.  For his career Chubb ran for 4,599 yards and 42 Touchdowns.

Chubb is listed at 5-10, 225 pounds.  He is a downhill powerful runner who fights for every inch.  He’s a fun runner to watch – breaking tackles and using his body to overpower defenders.

Chubb is a decisive runner – he hits the hole fast and has also proven to be elusive in the open field.  He had plenty of long rushing touchdowns in his career at Georgia.

NickChubb3

The Negatives:  Chubb suffered an ACL injury in his sophomore season.  He missed seven games that year.  But Chubb bounced back strongly in his junior season and had a third 1000 yard season in his senior season (2017).

That said, Chubb’s freshman year stands out as his most productive.  The medical evaluation at the combine might hurt his draft stock in the same way it hurt Jay Ajayi.

He’s not a great asset in the passing game only catching 3 passes in 2017 and 5 in 2017.

Nick Chubb7

The Alien Dust:  One of my favorite running backs to watch run…Boom Boom and then he breaks a big run.  If you enjoyed watching Ajayi run, you will probably like watching Chubb.

I think he can be a productive runner in any NFL tandem and a great short yardage back.  I would love to see Chubb paired with Drake for a powerful rushing attack in Miami.  Not sure if Miami feel like they can work with him in the passing game though.

He won’t be drafted too high.  He’s probably a day 3 pick.  At best he is a 3rd rounder.

NickChubb2

This terrific prospect reminds me of the lunar flattener I love using to crush the remaining lifeforms on a planet.  So that’s his weapon of destruction – an obvious fit.  Lookout defenders!

ChubbRoller.jpg

You can see his highlights here

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

806 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: Nick Chubb, Georgia

January 11, 2018 at 1:20 pm
    Why does it matter? It’s just one of those 4th rd picks where it’s too late to pick anyone of any value unless you trade it. LOL
    ________________________________________________________
    Not true, you never know what gem will slide, didn’t we get ajayi late? someone did a redraft of 2015 recently and ajayi was in the 1st rnd.
    what round did we get godchaux in?

It was a joke about how picks are viewed both positively and negatively. When we wait until the 4th rd to address a position it’s a negative. If we trade that pick we gave away a valuable resource. LOL

2. BailBondMike says:

D, you said: “He isnt going to blow the doors off and leave a guy in the dust” about TE Ian Thomas. I thought he is projected to possibly be the fastest TE in the draft? Draftscout lists him to run in the 4.6’s and potential to run under a 4.6.

3. BailBondMike says:

Was the reason we saw much more of Grantman the last couple games is due to the Landry contract situation? Just wonder

maybe
      but I got a couple other alternatives
      1. working other guys in with the season being lost
      2. Parker not producing
      3. desperation to change some thing sup on offense
      4. An almost annoying degree of patience/caution by Gase before he puts guys on the field (like Keyon Drake or maybe like Asiata or I put Stephone Anthony in that pool)

I don’t think the 2 are directly related, but if I were Leonte Carroo, I’d want to come in here next year and bust my ass because a 6th RD pick was getting tons more playing time than the 3rd RD pick they gave up 2 additional picks including the original 3rd RDer can’t see the field.

In other words, I don’t see Grant as a replacement for Landry, if anything, Carroo would be that guy.

4. BailBondMike says:

Piggy, those were all good possibilities.

5. BailBondMike says:

For some reason FirstPick is not giving us our second 4th so I looked at who was still there and got Freeman.

This is my draft if we don’t resign Landry.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis (B-)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma (A)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis (A-)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Rashard Fant, CB, Indiana (A)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Anthony Winbush, OLB, Ball State (B+)

6. BailBondMike says:

M13 BALLHAWK ALERT: CB Rashard Fant could be a late round steal coming out of IU. He stood out to me this year watching a few IU games. He is not the size we have been going after at 5’10” 180 but he is fast (may run about a +/- 4.4 40) and in 36 starts he is IU’s career leader (Current NCAA Active Leader) with 58 PD’s.

Fant could be under the radar due to his 2017 #’s dropping off to only 9 PD’s and 1 INT because teams didn’t throw his way as much as opposed to 2016 where he was 3rd in the nation with 20 PD’s and 3 INT’s and 22 PD’s in 2015.

Already has his degree is SPEA Management and working on his masters in Public Affairs.

We could possibly put him at slot CB cause I always thought McCain should have been converted to FS. McCain at FS and McDonald at OLB on passing downs would be nice since it doesn’t seem like Kiko can cover.

7. BailBondMike says:

I had to post his video against PSU this year. LOL

He is a good cover guy but the knock on him is his lack of support in the run game and doesn’t pursue to tackle on running plays not to his side or up the middle. Will tend to watch the play instead of get in on it. Probably due to his size. Not sure if that would be something you can correct or not (fear of contact). When it comes to RB’s, he’s not a hitter but a leg tackler which makes him miss on some tackles.

He might be a decent NCB but he isnt really a fit as a boundary guy in our system. We, especially against the Pats, need to be able to play press on the boundary, and it would be best if we could out of the slot, which is why i think that Bobby McCain isn’t a perfect fit and replaceable too. McCain has come a good way to be more capable there, and there are other attributes that make him a guy we might want to keep, but i definitely think we could do better there, just from a fit and talent perspective.

8. BailBondMike says:

What I liked in that video on that first pass defended is how he looked back to locate ball then turned to read the WR and knocks it away right at the right time.

BailBondMike says:
    January 12, 2018 at 10:42 am

Insert RB Royce Freeman as our second 4th round pick.
    —————————————–
    They aren’t giving us the second 4th because its not determined at this point which pick it would be. I dont know why they just started doing that, because its been true this whole time, but that seems to be their justification.

—————————————————-
    So far im not seeing separation on his part and if those number hold true, then its his route running and acceleration thats lacking. I dont see him blowing the doors off in the footage i have seen, though im not so deep that i have watched a ton on him. Ill let ya know if my mind changes on that evaluation, but for right now its how i see it.

11. BailBondMike says:

Round 1 Pick 15 (ARI): Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 15 (ARI): Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 26 (JAX): Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis (B)
    Round 2 Pick 32 (MINN): Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma (B-)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama (A)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State (A)
    Round 4 from PHI: DE Justin Lawler
    Round 6 Pick 9: Deadrin Senat, DT, South Florida (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Logan Woodside, QB, Toledo (C)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Tony Adams, OG, North Carolina State (B+)

Traded down once in 1st and once in 2nd dammit, LOL

D.J. Chark, WR, LSU (4.39)….
    Chark is a guy i have as a WR prospect if we lose Landry in FA or trade Parker. I’m not suggesting we should do this, or that i want to do this, but im just saying it might be something Gase is considering since Parker hasnt really been living up to expectations and is getting limited by his constant injuries. Either way, if we seem down one of our top guys, Chark would be a decent replacement and he also has ST ability as a returner, so we could throw another guy into the mix on kickoffs and punts.

Chark is also a guy that probably gives us a different combination of WR’s too. He is faster than Parker but about the same height, he probably wont fight through a defender as well as Parker (though Parker wasn’t doing it that great towards the last half of the season anyways) but he has good hands, and he would get open deep more. I think he also helps us with those damned WR screens because he is better with the ball after the catch than Parker. He wouldnt be an equal replacement for Landry and it would be a different offense with him unless we supplemented with another receiver like Drew Morgan, to give us Landry’s role at least to some degree. Chark more reflects Stills than any of them, so on rotation he could give Stills more of breathers or he could give us a new dimension where teams would have to play cover two, just in case we have he and Stills. Just the threat of both of them on go routes would make them have to defend us different and likely opens the run game which then opens the play action pass.

So if we let Landry walk, what do you guys think of some of the WRs we already have in the pipeline – Isaiah Ford, Malcolm Lewis, Drew Morgan and Francis Owusu?

Too bad we don’t play in Landchark Stadium anymore . . .

Landry is basically impossible to replace
    We can change the offense around
    Have more of a traditional slot receiver
    But I don’t think it’s like – we can find another Landry

No he’s a unique player but I’ve heard debates about paying big for WRs and the team’s that do don’t have a great track record of winning. Does Landry = winning?

Hard to say. Maybe we only win 3 or 4 games this season without him. He did get just about 1000 yards and 9 TD’s, and probably a shit ton of catches for a 1st down

I think winning from game to game is a collective effort

But sometimes the difference is just one player on the field
        So I think you need as much of those one players as possible

As far as drafting players goes – I think Landry is the best player to walk through are doors in like a decade

Who is the Dolphins best drafted player in the last 10 years? I think it’s Landry

I think you have to keep your best players and build on those best players

I think

16. Phindog says:

January 12, 2018 at 2:58 pm

I’ve owned his jersey for more than a year Phindog

The damage is done

You need to stop that shit Piggy. 🙂

January 12, 2018 at 2:39 pm

—————————————–
    Drew Morgan is the closest thing to the skill set of Landry. Good routes, good hands, decent speed but great quickness in and out of breaks, and he is good after the catch. I dont think he is capable of completely replacing what we have with Landry, especially with some of the intangibles. I think we are 100% less likely to see him thrown out of a game or get a 15 yard unsportsmanlike though.

Ford is a a little different style receiver, faster, and probably more more fluid, not as gritty, not as good burst acceleration or ability to accelerate through his breaks. I think i see him more like Bess than Landry.

Lewis and Owusu i dont think compare well to him at all, Owusu is more Parker, and Lewis is a Cooks type receiver, with a lot less refinement and talent.

Landry is very vital to the team, but i do think other WR’s can give you the skill set he does, the rare part of him is the effort and competitive fire and how he is driven to make the most out of every play. Thats the rare quality in him that is very very difficult to find. He also ratchets up his play the more he is needed to. Thats not to say he doesn’t give max effort on all plays, he finds a gear past where you thought was his max sometimes, so he is pretty impressive and there is almost no way for someone to evaluate that part of what he brings to determine if he helps you win, you can only say, most certainly.

I think i would have rather let Stills walk last year, and Parker next year than let Landry walk this year. I say that really liking Parker and really wanting him on our team. Its obvious though, Landry is the type of guy you build your WR unit around so replacing him wont just be about finding another slot receiver, it will be able completely changing the dynamic of our WR corps and what our play calls are.

18. BailBondMike says:

D, never mind what I said about Rashard Fant. The more tape I watched of him the more I changed my mind. He is a really good cover corner but that is all he will do. He shy’s away from contact WAY too much and when goes to make a tackle he is unimpressive. When the play is not to his specific area he turns into a spectator.

Yeah thats why i think as a boundary guy he is not a good idea. On the boundary he wont be able to make a judgment like play is away from me i can slack, because that’s when an NFL QB looks back to your side to see than and drops it in to the receiver after looking off the safety that probably has to be permanently assigned to your side for just that reason. You also have to fight off receivers on the outside routes and especially in a press situation (which i think we want to do even more than we are already) and that’s just not his game. He’d be ok in the slot, but i dont really think he is all that much better, or any better, than McCain for us.

• BailBondMike says:

I didn’t want him as a boundary anyway. Was looking for a faster McCain but Fant is way too much of a liability when it comes to tackling. He is off my list for sure now.

McCain played pretty well this year. He’s not great but he’s very competitive and slot is not an easy position to play.

Maybe like Drake, Carroo’s time is coming.

Maybe but i think i feel way different about Caroo’s situation than i did about Drake’s. With Gase he has kept saying he was hoping Drake would get things figured out so he could use him more because he was excited by him in one moment and disappointed in another and it frustrated him. Thats tells me he knew Drake had huge potential and was a weapon his offense needed. He doesnt talk about Caroo the same and i think Caroo is more of a disappointment with not a ton of the hopeful upside that kept him with a vision for Drake in his system. I think Caroo is going to have to pull himself up and impress Gase significantly with his progress to really get his break. I think Gase would be more inclined to still draft a guy if Landry doesnt re-sign to address the position instead of expecting Caroo to take control.

Very possible that’s the case. Maybe Carroo was going to get some playing time at the end of the year but he had some medical issue that required emergency surgery and ended the season on IR.

In the past 10 years and judged off their first 4 years with us, i think Jake Long, Reshad Jones, Mike Pouncey all have to be in consideration for as important. Jake Long just dropped off, but while he was with us the guy was the best OT in the NFL so yeah if you let his injuries and other stuff bring him down he doesnt compare, but same could be said about Landry if anything like that ever happens. I think Jones and Pouncey (again, take out injuries) are maybe even bigger.

There was another iffy couple of guys i considered just because they were indeed pro-bowlers for us, one is iffy because of his position, Fields, and the other because he finished his career here on such a sour note, Soliai. I dont think these guys, ultimately were as big for us, but they certainly gave us good production at their positions.

We have a few still working on their first 4 years, but i think Tunsil, Howard and Drake, possibly Harris has a chance to change that list.

Godchaux and Tankersly are off to a pretty solid start, but id be less likely to think they eclipse Landry. I also think Landry still has a lot of impressing us to do, so he might just keep distancing himself from those others, we just have to see if we can get him re-signed if he just keeps adding on.

Reshad Jones has to be the best player we’ve drafted in the last decade. 2010 5th rd pick, two extended contracts and 3 pro bowls?

He stands as my number 1, though Jake Long in his first 4 years was in 4 pro-bowls. It was more expected, and we forget that because of how it ended with us, but the dude was a big time stud on our OL and we haven’t had one close to comparable since.

Pouncey also has 3 pro-bowls, but like ou said, Jones surprised us with his, Pouncey was kind of expected to play well as a 1st round selection.

Because of Pouncey’s injuries I put Reshad ahead of him even though he missed most of one season too.

I agree. I was completely right in saying we should draft Reshad Jones in the mid rounds. It was a wonderful moment. 😏🤓🤘🧐👍👏 Possibly my best draft pick. I’m so proud.
    ***
    I actually liked him from watching about 5 minutes of a game, and he was just laying people out. He was a little slow, but when he hit guys he laid the wood.

I think it’s an example of just how hard drafting is. In all the years i’ve evaluated players, he’s the only mid round guy I actually liked that became a top flight player. It’s just hard, and I think us fans get a little carried away with ripping GMs because it’s just not an easy thing to do. You don’t hit on guys like that a lot. He’s pretty much my ONE feel good mid round pick in 20 years. Lol

January 12, 2018 at 8:33 am
    Lou – I’d bet Gase would like McKinnon, he’s an excellent receiver, but my guess is we’re not going to want to pay what he’s going to get.

+++++++++++++++++
    what do you think he can fetch?

25. naplesfan2010 says:

If Landry walks, should we get Watkins?

I really dont think Landry is going to go mega stupid on what he sets as his value, but i do think he will be asking for a decent amount more than any other slot receiver has ever gotten. I think he knows he isnt a 1500 yard receiver, and i think he knows he he doesn’t run a sub 4.4, he knows the details about the NFL and how they reward players with unique talents or physical traits and production to go on top of it. He shows he knows this because he emphasizes his most valuable attribute and out efforts most if not all others. This gives him the right to stand firm with whatever amount he sets himself worth and i believe there will be more than just one team that agrees with him enough to meet that.

Just looking at other top receiver contracts, i think he is going to seek about 12mil per, and i think as long as we meet him there, he would take a 12mil per offer from us over 12 per from another team, maybe even 12.5-13 mil per. I think anyone would be stupid to turn down a contract of more than that if thrown at him and he isnt stupid. I also think anyone would be stupid if they put 5-10 more in guaranteed money even at the same per year average. Id offer 12-13mil per, and about 30 in guarantees, id look to back-load it a little just to take the brunt of a big hit this year, push the bulk of it to 2019 and that way we have our leverage for Parker, if he doesn’t bring up his performance or he gets traded before the deadline or let loose into FA at the end of the year.2019 is a year that Stills also becomes a cut target, where his savings mean he either has shown more or he could be cut to create space to absorb Landry’s hit.

The contract is structured right would give us ways around our somewhat small cap space for 2018. We are very likely have some cuts, and some restructures coming as well, and that’s going to give us a decent bit more, so i think we can easily afford Landry at that amount, if we want to.

January 12, 2018 at 3:02 pm
    ___________________
    It’s a proven fact, statistically speaking, the more we throw to Landry the less we win and I’m not going to put that on him; I’m putting that on the OC. This team needs to start utilizing more of the talent it’s got to throw off defenses and then maybe a guy like Landry becomes more valuable.

A lot of that is on the QBs too. Landry gets open and QBs have confidence he’ll catch it. I don’t think our game plan is just throw it to Landry. He is part of what we want to do with the ball control game though. If we added a good TE we wouldn’t have to rely on a player like Landry because we’re also going to utilize our backs in the passing game.

• Or the qb isn’t confident they can make the throw to another wr or the qb isn’t making the right reads or progressions. But, I still say it’s on the lack of imagination in the game planning/scheme on the offense. The only time we showed anything that looked like a real NFL offense was in the 2nd NE game

Lou, I’m writing this season off on offense. LOL

Randy says:
    January 12, 2018 at 5:29 pm

D,
    Joe Thomas?
    ————————————-
    No, when Long was at his prime, most considered him better than Thomas, they compared them fairly equally but Long was considered the better LT.

McKinnon helped himself this year and how deep the vikings go into the playoffs is really going to keep bumping up those numbers.

At this point id say he is probably going to be considered by most teams to be a RBC running back, not a 3 down back, so we wont have to compete with teams that are going to be willing to pay him primary back money. We will though have to pay him like one of the better RBC’s. Im thinking right about what Lou is, 4.5-5mil per. He is a young back, and being an RBC he is less likely to get injured due to limiting his total number of snaps, so he might not a swayed by the guarantees as the per year amount and getting at least one of those years fully guaranteed, but then again, guaranteeing money to a young back in that circumstance generally isn’t a risk as long as you really feel he is a good fit for you and as advertised. If you look at his numbers, you see fairly stable production and a little bit better receiving yards this year, so he seems like a safe bet to me.

So 3 years, 15mil, 9 in guarantees… something in that range i think would get a quick sign and be pretty good for both sides.

I wouldn’t go RB in FA. Drake is going to be the guy on the cheap for a couple more years. I’d draft a RB or two, maybe one mid round 3-4 (no 5th) and maybe one 7th. I’d try to re-sign Williams who can probably be had for $2-3M per.

• I’m looking at it from the point of view that Gase is said to want a two back offense and a guy like McKinnon can not only run the ball but catch it. Yeah we could bring Damien back as well for some 3rd down opportunities out of the backfield but it all depends on the new OC, IMO.

How they plan on using these guys is going to make the biggest difference. If I’m Loggains, I’m putting Drake on the outside as a wr and going for a mismatch vs a LB. But, what the hell do I know? Anyway, I think that’s what determines it. How will we utilize these guys in the offense?

Also while thinking about LB and the draft, remember we invested a 2nd last year in McMillan and a 5th this year for Anthony who I think will play a bigger role next season. I wouldn’t go LB early unless he’s clearly BPA.

• and that’s what my boy Okoronkwa is. lol

Depends, i agree with what you are saying, but a guy like Roquan Smith i could see him really helping round out that group and giving us the set of LB’s we really want to go more aggressive with our defense. With his coverage skills we jump way forward with what we can hope this unit can do against NE (well and other teams as well) and i think it works more as Burke has envisioned it working not so much as Burke has had to make do with. It would be hard and yet also comforting to choose between James or Fitzpatrick and Smith. I mean i think no matter the choice you get a good player, but you also turned down a potential stud.

• I’d have to agree with that. We’ve got to compete against teams like NE and in order to do that we’ve got to have superior talent at this point. If the coaching catches up down the road then all the better but until it does we need to get guys who are better at what they do than they other team’s got.

So, yeah, we got Alonso and Allen and Anthony but that’s no reason to not take the LB core to the next level if you can.

I think the offense being better helps our defense be more aggressive and attack more than any one player. They’re built the the way they are to be in contested games and with a lead, not down 20-6 in the 3rd quarter as we try to mount a comeback as often as we did this year. That’s where complimentary football comes in. Our offense needs to start putting more points on the board to make other teams have to try and come back. That’s when you release the dogs and turnovers go up.

normally if i saw a 40mil 5 year contract with 18.25 guaranteed for a RB i would seriously ask what you are smoking but for Shady McCoy for what he is worth to that Bills offense that’s kind of a bargain.

D,
    I think most would disagree with you. Thomas was first or second team All pro, for like, 10 years. Long only made 2 All pro teams and only one as first team. Thomas was clearly considered the better LT. It’s really not even close.

• lol. every time I see a comment “disagree with you” I see the “ou” and I’m looking for an L in front of it.

Long was a 4 year Pro Bowl selection and i wasnt judging careers against one another, i know Thomas has had the better career, Long’s got cut WAY short by injuries. If ya look at my comments above when we started talking abotu this i was focusing on the first 4 years with us. During that span, and the 4 Pro-Bowls, he was considered the best LT in football.

lou,
    Hey, every time I use that phrase my iPad even auto corrects to “lou”, and it sucks to have to change it all the time. Lol

D,
    I said All pro not pro-bowl. Thomas was a pro bowler for a decade straight. I think they actually got voted onto the All pro team together twice. It’s cool though. It doesn’t really matter. 🙂

Yeah its kinda splitting hairs anyway. I completely agree with you Joe Thomas is an amazing LT and possibly one of the best LT’s ever.

January 12, 2018 at 6:48 pm
    ————
    Totally agreed. A RB’s career isn’t very long in the NFL, so the younger, the better the shelf-life. What’s more, why pay big $$$ for an aged RB in FA when younger RBs generally produce better? Save the $$$ and go young.

There’s only one caveat: we’ve gotta have a decent O-Line for rooks (including UDFAs) to put up major production. It ALL starts in the trenches… and that includes protecting the QB.

Randy, when you see how many players who were top prospects not living up to expectations it shows you how difficult it is to draft the right guys.

Naples i was asking that about getting Watkins if we cant retain Landry and id say its going to make a big change in our offense if we do that. Im not sure if it would be for the good or the bad, but i do know i dont think we are getting the same Watkins that had everyone here scared when the Bills selected him. The year he had with the Rams has not been good and thats probably the best QB situation he has had in his career. He just looks to be way off his college game, and might not be the same guy.

The pluses would be he is going to be cheaper than Landry, but im not sure how big of a step down it will be and how much it might overall affect our offense. Watkins also has a injury history and has had back to back disappointing years. In fact if you look at it his short career, he really hasn’t had 1 year where his production really jumps out at you. Part of that might be because it was shitty QB’s in Buffalo, but with Goff he is third on the team in all categories for WR’s and pretty significantly behind 1 and 2, which are receivers that dont have the dynamic ability he does. He for sure would be someone i might take a chance on in the situation we can get Landry re-signed, but i also think i would be careful not to over pay or get into a long term contract with lots of guarantees. He might be one of those guys who needs to sign a show me contract and just get himself some street cred again.

I just think we have to invest in OL this year. How they do it is debatable, but we just have too many holes and an overall lack of talent to do nothing.

Id go big on a RB that i thought was going to really make changes for us. I tend to agree with you, especially for this next draft, we wouldnt need to invest early, because we are either looking for a compliment to Drake that mirrors his ability as a rounded back, or we will be looking for a complment that gives us someone who can grind out yards and take that punishment off Drake. Either way there should be a guy in the 4-6th rounds to fit that and fit it pretty well.

A prospect RB like Mike Tolbert who can play STs would be good. We may not need him to get many carries every week but his value on STs keeps him active and ready to hammer when needed.

D,
    Yeah, he’s beginning to break down a little, but he was first team All pro and pro bowl pick in 2016.

BailBondMike says:
    January 12, 2018 at 11:42 am
    M13 BALLHAWK ALERT: CB Rashard Fant could be a late round steal coming out of IU. He stood out to me this year watching a few IU games. He is not the size we have been going after at 5’10” 180 but he is fast (may run about a +/- 4.4 40) and in 36 starts he is IU’s career leader (Current NCAA Active Leader) with 58 PD’s…
    ———
    Fant’s got a future in the slot with some team, but as you insinuated by his size, it won’t be with us. He’s got a knack for breaking up pass plays, and that’s a very valuable asset in this league. I’ve seen him play a couple of times and I thought he did rather well. But as you noticed, he’s not a tackler… that’s a bad trait in this league.

44. Looks like the team will be moving on from Terrell Williams per Football Scoop. I’ve been advocating for this for some time and, if true, could be a move in the right direction. Of course, it also depends on who they get to replace him.

45. ElephantRider says:

Agree…. how many times we gotta hear about the great strength of the defense is the DL? ….oh yeah….. they only talk that way cause they practice against our OL. Lol

January 12, 2018 at 4:14 pm
    _________________________

I thought that statement was a little weird coming from an NFL Draft savvy guy like yourself.

Assistant Defensive Line – Andre Carter,
    back in the 80’s i use to work with his older brother Johnny Carter, doing Iron-Work for Tri W Steel.

I was listening to WFAN in NY yesterday, the afternoon show with Chris Carlin and Bart Scott, and Scott was talking about franchise QB’s, and then what he called the “2nd tier” of franchise QB’s, because he was talking about Case Keenum, and he mentioned other 2nd tier franchise QB’s, like Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco, Alex Smith, but left Ryan Tannehill off that list. Now it may have slipped his mind, and that’s certainly possible because he was out this season, but if Joe Flacco is in that 2nd tier, than Ryan Tannehill damn well is too.

• Tannehill will never get respect because the Dolphins haven’t done anything while he’s been with the team. If the Phins become consistent and start making the playoffs with him at the helm then you’ll see that change but, until then, it’s probably not going to happen.

That’s true in the sense that you have to have success, which IMO, is not solely on the QB. Matthew Stafford is kind of the exception there though. Most people consider him to be in that 2nd tier, but he’s 60-65 as a QB, and is 0-3 in the playoffs.

• well, that’s because DET has made the playoffs with him at qb. Unless MIA makes the playoffs a few times with Tannehill he’s never going to be seen the same way. And, IMO (of course), unless he starts utilizing more of the guys on his offense to get the offense going and stops throwing all those short, underneath passes to Landry he’s not going to be seen that way.

I know we can put that on the coaches a bit and maybe say it’s about others not getting open but his progressions are seen as a weakness in his game; like it or not.

I’m seeing my man crush Marcus Davenport moving up to the 1st-2nd round range, up from the 4th round since Thanksgiving. We may opt to draft a DE early, but I’d rather focus on the O-Line and TE positions on days 1-2.

A guy currently projected to go in the 4th-5th rounds is Dorance Armstrong Jr, DE, Kansas: 6’3″, 246, 4.74. He’s one of the fastest DEs in this Draft and he’s NICE (not sure why he’s projected in the 4th-5th rounds). He’s had a sack of Baker Mayfield every time he’s faced Oklahoma over the last 3 seasons. He’s got a very good, long frame to add more weight. VERY athletic and his burst his SWEET.

I see a bit of a project in him, being he doesn’t currently possess a full arsenal of pass-rushing moves: he’s relied almost solely on his speed. Give him a couple of years, and he could be a dominant force in the league. Dare I say it, he looks to have a little bit of Cam Wake in him as an athletic freak.

Here are his highlights…

Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
    4h4 hours ago
    49ers’ LB Reuben Foster was arrested in Tuscaloosa, according to the Tuscaloosa Sheriff’s Office arrest database, and charged with second-degree possession of marijuana.

• lmao. 2nd degree possession. We need to change these antiquated laws. If a person can rot their insides with something like Bourbon they should be able to smoke weed

LOU; One problem with your logical answer. The preachers who preach hellfire and brimstone about the evils of bourbon (while selling bourbon out of their office windows for “medicinal purposes”) probably don’t have access to weed, which, in theory, they could ALSO sell for “medicinal purposes” if they only could get some of it). It’s a bottom line money thing with these preachers and churches.

SURPRISE!!!

MIKE E.; I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED Armando’s article which you were kind enough to post at 8:20 AM, just up the page. Mando correctly detailed the Fins’ TOTAL LACK OF LEADERSHIP during the just concluded season. Meanwhile, as the “DOOFUS BRIGADE” (minus Ross) looked on during the press conference, it was obvious to all that NONE of those 3 stone faces HAD A CLUE about how to obtain a REAL team leader (such as Ray Lewis).

BOTH Tannenbaum and Grier, in particular, looked and sounded TOTALLY LOST. That’s WHY Ross needs to replace BOTH OF THESE GROSS UNDERPERFORMERS RIGHT NOW so that a new regime can be brought in to do the job T-Baum & Grier have so miserably failed at. Bringing in BRYAN COX to help find a TRUE LEADER, A TRUE MOTIVATOR, might be a step in the right direction. That said, I WOULD NOT be shocked if Ross brought back Casper Milquetoast himself, Joe Philbin, to help pick the next class of draft picks!!

Stupid is as stupid does. I’m afraid there’s no hope of the Fins getting to a Super Bowl as long as Ross owns the team. UNLESS ROSS BUYS THESE PLAYERS TICKETS TO THE 2020 Super Bowl in Hard Head Stadium!!

Players that lead aren’t easy to find, and are difficult to identify. Team leaders in college don’t always turn into leaders in the NFL, because sometimes their leadership doesn’t match up with their talent, and like that article mentioned, it’s hard to be a leader if you’re not a starter. Also, having that great leader doesn’t always guarantee success. Marino was a fiery competitor and a leader who made sure players did things the way he wanted them to, and yet he never won a Superbowl, and only played in the one. It’s better to have a few leaders, but again, not easy to find, and sometimes, leaders just develop on their own.

MIKE: TWO THINGS;
      1) I’d certainly take the Dolphins W-L record during the Marino era over the shit storm we’ve endured during the Ross era. Mando is spot-on (and fair) to mention the lack of leadership and focus that’s been a trademark of the last 8-9 seasons.
      2) Marino had help on the leadership issue from Cox, good ole #54, Zack Thomas, Jason Taylor, and several others I could mention. The Marino era featured a higher percentage of quality individuals, some of whom had true leadership characteristics (not the least of which was the Coach himself, the Don of Miami.) While I’ll admit that finding leaders is not an easy task, I’ll also say that those franchises who do well in this issue tend to do far better on the football field, too.

Unfortunately, “THE DOOFUS BRIGADE” has earned their moniker.

RIP Keith Jackson. Died at age 89.

54. BailBondMike says:

M13, Armstrong looks nice! Another one who can be had in the 4th probably is the U’s Chad Thomas. He is nothing real special and not as fast. He has that big thick build at 6’5″ 275 and reminds me of our DE Williams Hayes. He could be an early down DE for us. He really came on this year for the U.

The Seahawks had the most penalties this season, and Pete Carroll is considered on e of the best coaches, and they have Earl Thomas, Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, and Richard Sherman. There’s no perfect formula.

IF that’s true then I guess we should commit more penalties – – JK!!!
      ———–
      The thing that puts Seattle WAY AHEAD of Miami is the fact that they have MUCH BETTER PLAYERS than Miami, many of whom are REAL LEADERS INSIDE THE LOCKER ROOM. YES, Mike, there’s more than one formula for success. By selecting far better players, the Seahawks have found a way to WIN. BY CHEATING (“Pete the Cheat”) the Seahawks have found another way to get an edge (see Belicheat). So, yes, there’s MORE than one way to win.
      ———-
      But poor coaching, poor scouting and poor ownership have NEVER EQUALLED success on the gridiron. – – Throw in a lack of leadership and you’ve got a formula for failure.

• You bring up an interesting point with the poor scouting or poor talent evaluation. Ppl like to shit on Carroo and say he was a waste and he’s never going to do anything. He’s not the only player they say that about. But, who are the people who made those evaluations if that turns out to be the case? You’ve got to look at both sides of the coin.

If a player doesn’t work out with the team and you see it often enough you’ve got to start pointing fingers at the people doing the evaluations.

• Talented team. Shula was able to take a bunch of guys who weren’t as talented and still win because they didn’t commit all those penalties and they executed well. If you’re undisciplined the chances of executing well on either side isn’t good and we didn’t.

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:

January 13, 2018 at 11:57 am (Edit)

If you’ve got guys like Wake, Suh, Jones, Pouncey and Landry and your team is lacking leadership you’ve got a huge problem.
    ********************

So what do you think that problem is? Maybe those guys aren’t the right leaders?

• got me. I don’t see what’s going on there on a daily basis. Maybe you got too many guys who are more concerned about themselves than they are about the team

ACCORDING TO MANDO, none of those guys you mentioned stepped up when things got tough. He believes NONE of them were true leaders. SO, YES, Miami’s “got a huge problem.” And, to repeat, “poor coaching, poor scouting and poor ownership have never equaled success.”

Shula and the Dolphins were kind of Teflon back then, much like the Patriots are now. They will get the benefit of doubt more times than not. It’s pretty hard to deny to that. Some of it was discipline, but a lot of it was refs letting things go somewhat because it was Shula’s team. There’s no shame in that, just like Michael Jordan couldn’t foul out of a game if he tried most times.

58. Did Keith Jackson ever tell us who this Nellie person was?

It was a bad season. Last year the team did show leadership and resiliency during the 1-4 start and turned the season around finishing 9-2. That didn’t happen this year for all sorts of reasons. It doesn’t mean everyone stinks. But now Gase has to figure out how to turn it around in 2018 because he’s the HC.

60. naplesfan2010 says:

Hey OD
    I see where FAU signed an agreement with the Max Planck Institute for research into Integrative NeuroScience and Biology. Cool.

Falcons at Eagles might be a close game today. Much as wish it was otherwise, Titans have little chance against the Pats. Chiefs might have but Titans are left with any give Saturday.

Eagles chances seems to be on how Foles plays. He didn’t play well down the stretch.

The Pats will do everything they can to take away the Titans running game and try to contain Mariota in the pocket as well and make him beat them with his arm.

For all 4 teams then there are turnovers and STs that could play a role in the outcomes.

Titans just don’t match up well. And this is the hooded one dissecting for a playoff game.

Agreed. Their only chance is the run game and playing really good defense, or something out of the ordinary.

I think we should draft Rosen and Barkely!
    all we’ll need are a couple of gas masks!

63. BailBondMike says:

Titan’s at Pats is a night game. How cold and windy is it going to be? A cold windy game could be in the Titan’s favor if they can get their running game going.

• BailBondMike says:

Weather channel hourly forecast shows about 25 degrees and 10 mph winds with 15 degree wind chill at game time. Could help the Titan’s. Dunno

Pats should be good as far as the temp……seems a strong wind would have helped the Titan’s more.

I haven’t seen anything on Terrell Williams being fired. He’s still listed as DL coach on the official site. Where did you guys read/hear this?

Lou, I’ve seen video of Wake getting the team pumped up but that’s inside the tunnel before they come out.

It was warm for one day in NYC, it rained and now its oinking cold again

☹️

So does anyone here eat Tide laundry pods for fun? SMH WTF!!?

• BailBondMike says:

No, but I used to chew paper as a kid. It started with lollypops. I would chew on the paper stick when I was done. LOL

LOL, but you didn’t eat or drink laundry detergent so that’s good. WTF are teens thinking these days?

68. ElephantRider says:

And guess what…… there’s going to be more government regulation now because theses fucking idiots want to be on the internet……

January 13, 2018 at 2:08 pm

___________________________

Barry Jackson

Verified account

@flasportsbuzz
    11m11 minutes ago
    So Ajayi tells NBC, as Collinsworth relays, that he was “too open and honest” for Dolphins’ liking and apparently shouldn’t be that way.

72. What? Is that my boy Nick Foles outplaying Matt Ryan? Why yes it is. lol

BailBondMike says:
    January 13, 2018 at 11:35 am
    ———–
    Thomas looks solid and I agree with ya on the Hayes comparison. I wouldn’t mind him in the mid-rounds at all. Based solely on his highlights here, he seems to have a very good motor. Good call!

ElephantRider says:
    January 13, 2018 at 6:55 pm
    Trade is looking better and better…
    ———–
    I wish we would have traded Ajayi for Nigel Bradham, instead of for a 4th round pick.

75. Nick Foles 20 of 27 for 226 yds outplaying Matt Ryan. Dat’s MY boy.

76. ElephantRider says:

Ok…I haven’t seen it.

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    January 13, 2018 at 7:09 pm
    got ya on that one. Bradham is ALL over the place all year
    ———–
    Crap, it just dawned on me: we didn’t have the cap space to make that trade happen, SMH. Way to go, Mike Tannenbaum.

This eagles falcons game has been yawn worthy

79. ElephantRider says:

Really Lou? Far from dink and dunk? Ok.

80. Eagles had a perfect game plan going into this game without Wentz and playing the red hot Falcons. They shut them down and you’ve got to give them credit. If it wasn’t for the Ajayi fumble at the beginning of the game and the screw up on the punt when the ball hit 2 Philly players the Falcons probably don’t score in this game.

81. The Eagles defense has still not allowed a td in the last two minutes of a game this season.

82. ElephantRider says:

Foles played ok, nothing special. He’s your boy so you gotta make it something it isn’t.

83. ElephantRider says:

Lmao.

That’s such a reach…..

• ElephantRider says:

Let’s flip the script….RT17 has this game and you’d say Phins win despite him because of stellar defense.

I don’t deny any QB that plays well. Foles played ok. That is it.

Oh wow, somehow Tannehill is in the conversation because of that 15-10 barn burner between PHI/ATL. WTF is going on here? LOL

• ElephantRider says:

Foles is an All Pro out playing Matt Ryan and I didn’t agree. My B

• ElephantRider says:

And somehow scoff at it and point out exactly what everyone here knows he’d say about RT17, that somehow turns it into I’m saying RT17 is the best in the league….

• Matt Ryan had a full camp, preseason and a full season. Foles missed camp and didn’t play until late in the season and came in and had this game today. That’s pretty darn good. But, yeah, he is my boy. I’m still pissed we took that nose picker over him

• I never said anyone said Tannehill was the best in the league. I said if Tannehill has that game today and we wouldn’t hear the end of it about how great he played.

85. ElephantRider says:

Lol. Ok.

86. Face it. Foles should have been our pick back in 2012. If we had picked him we probably would have seen several playoff appearances since then but instead we only saw the one last year because we chose to reach for a qb in the first rd.

87. ElephantRider says:

Cheatriots home cooking……Titans still need to make some plays and overcome these phantom flags….

88. Every frickin’ player in the league is tweeting about the refs making calls for the Pats and it’s pretty darn obvious but nothing you can do about it

89. Eric Weddle

Verified account

@weddlesbeard
    19m
    19 minutes ago

That 1 sec lasted 3 secs. Unreal

90. Eli Apple‏
    Verified account

@EliApple13

Eli Apple Retweeted Joe Haden
    Them boys got the refs on their side

91. Kenyan Drake™‏
    Verified account

@KDx32

Someone check the patriots payroll and look to see if “Play clock operator” is on there. That was blatant. Only right they missed the field goal. The ball never lies

92. ElephantRider says:

Lol….
    Even Boomer on almost every show says something about the Cheatriots. The world is starting to wake up to what we’ve been watching for years…..

93. ElephantRider says:

Romo trying to cover up….NFL guy is a Cheatriot guy. Lol.

Fuck it!!! Forget big stud backs and high salaries for WRs. Find a competent TE, a few good WRs, a bunch of quick backs who can run and catch, move the chains and let the big plays happen. There is nothing amazing about what the Pats do. They just keep doing the same thing every year while every other teams falls all over themselves trying to land some super studs in FA and the draft. What exactly does Brady do that is so amazing, get rid of the ball quickly to backs and receivers within 10 yards most of the time mixed in with the run? Follow that model, it’s not that complicated. Most defenses can’t cover it.

I hope Gase was watching this game tonight and not only seeing how to copy the blueprint of the Pats on offense, but how not to defend it. But the key is you have to score with them.

Maybe Gase wanting more receiving backs is part of that plan. Nothing wrong with having a guy who can hammer it in there from time to time, but it doesn’t have to be a special back as we’ve seen. I think go more quick with a good OL and TE. RT with his ability to throw on the move fits this style with quick guys coming open underneath. Bootlegs, screens and flooding areas with a quick guy running open the opposite way one on one. The Pats do this all the time. Nobody knows who to pick up who and much of the time the one on one coverage has to be brilliant. The Pats play for 1st downs and let the big plays happen. They help their defense a lot. They get to play with leads all the time. You play much looser that way than knowing you can’t let them score here, like in the 3rd quarter. LOL

Grant fits this style. So does Landry, but what’s his price tag? I don’t think the money that’s been thrown around matches the role. Drake and Williams fits it. Add another quick back who can catch and maybe a hammer who can also plays STs and serve as a FB when needed. Quickness and speed seems to beat most defenses than power teams and how many of them are there really? What have they won?

• ElephantRider says:

Cheats didn’t even run the ball. 50 plus attempts early in the 4th qtr for Brady. That’s crazy.

They run when they want to. The way they pass it’s like a nice 5-6 yard run. Then sometimes a guy gets more than that for a 1st down. They do this all the time. I feel like I’ve watched the Pats play this same exact game like 100 fuckin times and against us many times. Copy it, it doesn’t require amazing throws. Sure you have to make some big throws and come through in the clutch, but the bread and butter stuff is easy if you add the right pieces and you don’t need pro bowl studs to do it. It doesn’t hurt to have some but you don’t have to have them.

That’s how I’d start building my team. The Falcons had it working last year with their backs better than this year, but they had the right idea. The Eagles did it today just not as well as the Pats do it. It’s hard to match up against a lot of quick guys all day long. The Pats guys aren’t just quick, they fight for every yard until they’re down. They find quick tough guys.

96. ElephantRider says:

Let your hatred flow thru you Tim!

Jaylen Samuels of NC State fits the mold of a receiving back, quick strike pass offense. Not that he’s super quick or fast physically, but he plays every skill position well mentally except QB and is productive. He might be better than D. Williams and a possible replacement or to join him. You can do a lot of things with a player like him. Probably a 3-4 rd pick if he does well at the combine and pro days.

Time of possession, score some TDs and play solid defense and you can also be leading 21-7 all the time, Wilbur! I see that score all the time for the Pats and I’m sick of it. It has to be stopped I say!!! LOL

You know what, if Samuels does well at the combine and pro days he’ll probably be a 2nd rd pick. He’s a #2 RB, similar to Landry in versatility but can play anywhere with more of a RB build 5-11 220 as opposed to Landry at 5-11 205 WR build. Keep an eye on this Samuels guy. He plays football. 🙂

98. ElephantRider says:

That’s why keeping Landry is vital. This team doesn’t have those types of guys….if they lose him you gotta find a way to replace that intensity and drive and fight for every yard.

• ElephantRider says:

And that is apparently hard to find for this team.

Landry is not a $10M+ per player for us. What’s our record with him in 4 years? We have to replace him on the cheap. I’m not a fan of the big WR contract. Love Landry the player, if I was GM once it went beyond $10M per I’d say good luck.

Don’t worry he’ll be the one guy the Pats do pay big, go onto to do this thing that they do for another 2-3 years and we’ll be discussing the same thing again this time in the future. Ugh! LOL

• ElephantRider says:

Lol

Landry is just a tough decision….I hear what you are saying. I just think you can’t replace that intensity. But I think he’ll price himself out of Miami all the same.

Here is my first new year’s top 3 picks for us and yes with need involved. 🙂
    1. #11 OL Quentin Nelson ND 6-5 330
    2. #42 RB/Flex Jaylen Samuels NCS 5-11 220
    3. #73 TE Mike Gesicki PSU 6-6 255

I want to see how Samuels matches up with his peers during workouts, but after watching some more footage of him, he fits what we started to do with Williams and Drake and what the Pats ultimately do. It works. It’s hard to cover. He’s got good size for a tailback but plays physical and can get out in space. Excellent receiver who can line up anywhere.

January 13, 2018 at 2:35 pm
    So does anyone here eat Tide laundry pods for fun? SMH WTF!!?
    ________________________________________________________
    when i was a kid i use to eat play doh with a side of my grand mothers chocolate EXLAX!
    Liv’n large!

4 dolphins who had bad seasons
    1. Julious Thomas
    2. Lawrence Timmons
    3. Andre Branch
    4. Laremy Tunsil
    while i’m sure we wont see thomas or timmons next year Branch and Tunsil need to pick up the slack, Tunsil way too many false starts and Branch needs to stay healthy

• naplesfan2010 says:

True but
      Tunsil’s false starts were for various reasons.
      Some were from hearing the cadence of 4 different QBs.
      Some were inexperience as a “rookie” LT.
      A couple were from being way out there in crowd noise. (see above 2)
      And at least one was from seeing an All Pro Edge Rusher loading up for a speed rush.
      And all were compounded by having approximately 5 different LGs next to him.

Tunsil is not our problem.

everyone seems to have Quentin Nelson as their first pick.

• naplesfan2010 says:

We do need a guard.

I’m tired of seeing our OL overrun in big spots. We need to start punching the opponent in the mouth in the big spot.

I keep thinking about how badly our defense underachieved and that’s the only thing keeping me from being all in on Nelson

He would be a nice pick

Would also be nice if our defense did play like trash

Our offense put our defense in a bad spot all season. Think about all the games with only scoring very few points.

11: R1P11
    224: R7P5
    QB RILEY FERGUSON
    MEMPHIS
    230: R7P11
    G WYATT TELLER
    VIRGINIA TECH

Jaylen Samuels, huh? OUTSTANDING! I can’t believe he went under my radar! Man, he looks like he can do it ALL, and I didn’t even watch the whole highlight reel. He even wears #1 for NC State: AMERSON! 😀

He’s got reflexes and quickness like WOAH. I see he’s listed at 5’11”, 228 pounds, 4.78 speed, and projected to go around the 4th round. Some list him as a TE and some list him as a FB… I’d list him as an OW (Offensive Weapon).

Something doesn’t add up to me with Samuels. Not only does he play faster than his listed speed, he’s obviously much faster than his listed speed. He doesn’t look like 228 pounds, he looks more like 210 pounds. He’s not a household name, but he should be a household name, IMO. It’s almost as if he’s too good to be true. If I didn’t know any better, I’d swear he’s…

If he kills the Combine, he’s going in the 2nd round as you predict. EXCELLENT call, Bro!

Yeah man, that’s why I said let’s see how he matches up physically with his peers in workouts. He is a Swiss Army knife.

11: R1P11
    224: R7P5
    C MICHAEL DEITER
    WISCONSIN
    230: R7P11
    G BRADEN SMITH
    AUBURN

More of an offensive draft

Skai Moore has 14 career interceptions

I liked your comments about NE earlier but there’s one important aspect no one else has… Gronk. He’s probably the best offensive weapon in the game today. He can’t be covered and is the main reason the Pats offense moves like it does. There is a strong reason why many of their losses fall on days he’s injured. I guess he’s a once in a lifetime talent but it would be my scouting team’s main priority. Find a guy like him who is a massive mismatch.

Other thoughts; I’m tired of wasting 1st round picks on OL. This is a coaching position we need some top talent at. The Pats have picked three OL in the first in the past 24 years, and no one before pick 17. If we get Nelson, we will have picked five in the past 10. That’s utterly ridiculous especially since we want to get rid of a good RT in James. Ignorant is the nicest word I can use.

Lastly, I love seeing the ignorant posts about Gase. He’s done extremely poorly teaching these guys not only the offense but professionalism. At the same time, it’s still funny to watch the whiplash inducing changes from great coach to ‘he should be fired!’ Let’s give him at least a third year to float lol. As Tim has mentioned before, then who do we hire? Is there a plan or just fire him, fire, blah, blah, blah every year?

108. BailBondMike says:

Tim, thanks for the info on Samuels. I am not thrilled about a RB in the first 3 rounds. Would like to see one in the 4th. There seem to be a lot of good ones to where one will be there when we pick. I’m not focused on any one RB. Just a good one to compliment who we have. I want OL, TE and a D player in those first three rounds. Now, if we trade down and gain 1 or 2 more pick(s) then I would have no problem pulling the trigger on someone in the second or third round. Of course, it all comes down to who we sign/resign going in to the draft.

109. NLF Draft losing a bunch of players from Clemson who decided to stay for their senior year.

My Third 2018 Mock Draft (1/14/2018)

R1P11- Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
    R2P10- Frank Ragnow, C/G, Arkansas
    R3P9- Mike Gesicke, TE, PSU
    R4P11- Dorance Armstrong Jr, DE, Kansas
    R4P29- Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon
    R5P10- STEPHONE ANTHONY
    R6P9- Skai Moore, OLB, South Carolina
    R7P5- (from Tampa Bay) Logan Woodside, QB, Toledo
    R7P11- Christian Campbell, CB, PSU

FA: Tahir Whitehead, SAM, Detroit, OR Nigel Bradham, WILL, Philadelphia

111. BailBondMike says:

Titan’s looked like they were going to make a game of it until the refs took over. Pats didn’t even get one penalty called on them until 23 min into the game and that one was a nonfactor. I could go back and show you at least 3 blatant Pats penalties that weren’t called in the first 23 min. Blatant as they were in the open and obvious. The BS offensive PI call on the Titan’s after they got the first down (ref didn’t throw the flag until after Decker caught and ran with the ball. Then the blown encroachment call when the pats were punting deep in their territory giving them the first down. They should just give them a bye all the way to the AFC champ game. Why even play the game. I was so sick of the game after that I had to quit watching. I watched Ancient Alien reruns the rest of the night. LOL

112. BailBondMike says:

M13, email your draft to Mr. T and let’s call it a day/draft!!! Have you thought about UDFA’s you might bring in? I would try to bring in Lagow for an extra camp arm and see WTF happened to him from Junior to Senior year.

Thanks, Bro!!!

I’ve not yet delved into UDFA territory, but Lagow is DEFINITELY on my list. That kid has a gun and Gase should be able to develop it… GOOD CALL!

BB Mike,

By the way… in the event we let William Hayes walk into FA (NO!!!), we should draft Chad Thomas to replace him. GOOD CALL on him.

• BailBondMike says:

Thanks bro! When drafting a DE, I want that edge rusher but when I see what impact Hayes made for us I would want to try to replace that talent to keep our edge rushers fresh. Another thing that caught my eye about Chad Thomas in watching him is that he sticks to his assignment no matter what. whether it’s setting the edge or whatever.

114. BailBondMike says:

Once the Titan’s made that long drive for a TD to take the lead, a call must have been made cause that is when the BS started with the refs. Glad the announcer called it out also.

NFL/Goodell/Pats/Kraft = Clinton’s

115. New Age brings up an interesting point about coaching changes (credit Tim). Who do you bring in next? Is there a plan or do you just fire a coach without a plan?

Whether the current coaching changes happening with the team are going to make a difference or not will have to be seen but is what we’re seeing something that was going to happen and the team had a plan or are they throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks?

Hopefully it’s the team having a plan in place for whom they thought would have been available and made those moves and it works out for the best.

I don’t care that we drafted prior OL in the 1st round. Are we good on the OL? Tunsil is still adapting to NFL LT. Many think Poncey is on his last legs and is James worth $9.3M?

• Like the chef of my local Chinese restaurant is fond of saying, “there’s more than one way to skin a cat”. No doubt a guy like Nelson could help the team by giving us a much needed offensive lineman but it also doesn’t mean we can’t take someone at another position in rd 1 and then come back in rd 2 and get an offensive guard to help us.

I’m into team building. That’s what I’ve preached for years. Build a team. The guys at the top have seen it differently for years. They were more interested in filling holes just to fill holes rather than building a team. You take the right players at the right time based on what’s out there and you worry about the other holes when you can get it done.

If one position in the draft is deep you can wait, if another isn’t deep you can’t wait. We need to address the offensive line in free agency with at least ONE guy who can come in a play guard for us and who isn’t at the end of his career. One guy who still has plenty left in the tank and a guy who can get it done.

Then we can go out in the draft and get one more guy who we may be able to plug in early enough for us to help us out by taking an offensive lineman early. Doesn’t need to be first rd.

We’re not going to fill all the holes in one free agency period and in one draft but, by golly, our front office has been trying to do it for years to try and “win now” and it hasn’t worked. Worry about what you CAN do and don’t worry about what you can’t get done. Point is to at least get something done that’s solid that you don’t need to worry about anymore rather than plugging holes with guys who are short-term, stop-gap guys who will be gone next year and then you have to find replacements again.

You’re right, it doesn’t have to be 1st rd, I just think Nelson would help us turn things around on the OL.

• again, there’s more than one thing to do things so you can’t argue with taking Nelson in the first as long as they’ve got some kind of plan for other areas and I’m not saying trying to get it all done in one offseason like Santa Claus.

Solve what they can and worry about the rest at some other time. If they can get another offensive lineman in free agency who is the answer at RG that’s great. I don’t care if they get everything done in one offseason because, realistically, it’s not happening. But, if you can see they’re starting to build a team that makes all the difference in the world.

Agreed on DE Chad Thomas. He’s a rangy lunch pail guy.

Larsen has said he’d like to go back to RG in 2018 where he has played the most the last few years.

• that’s fine but you don’t want to put all your eggs in one basket with Larsen and pencil him in. I wanted us to sign Larsen in the offseason but only as depth on the o-line. He’s good if he needs to fill in for a game or two but I wouldn’t want to rely on him every week.

I hear ya. I view Larsen as a vet you can transition with until a young guys wins the job.

• I hear what you’re saying. If we were to draft a guy like Nelson in the first, however, I would hope the guys running the show wouldn’t say “well, we’re finished with the offensive line because we’ve got Larsen who could start at RG and we’ve got depth”.

We’ve all been preaching about taking care of the offensive line once and for all and we could probably put a good dent in it by getting one quality starter in free agency and finding a guy in the draft for the other guard position. If Larsen wins out in camp and gets the starts then so be it. Then we know we’ve got some strength on the offensive line.

However, I’m getting tired of watching them just pencil in guys like that because it hasn’t worked out.

I would be happy with M13’s 10:57 draft

OL early and you still get that’s RB and TE
    That might work

Inspiration for the ’18 Miami Dolphins…

I wouldn’t mind Nelson, because of his talent, but why would we ever get rid of James? He’s a significant investment. Either you say the FO can’t scout fatties worth a crap or you say the coaches can’t teach them how to function in a modern NFL offense. How does drafting early fix either of those issues? Our philosophy seems to be, “lets get an OL that can possibly succeed no matter how poor the coaching.” Is that really what we want?

Is OL and DL where we want our biggest impact? And if so, why haven’t we seen this yet? Both our offense and defense have been dumpster fires. I’m not against Nelson but letting go of James(unless he has significant health issues our FO didn’t look into) is really short sighting and the opposite of what they supposedly want.

• agreed. I’m not keen on paying James the option money but I don’t think we should just let him walk. If James is a player that can get it done with better coaching then he’s worth keeping around. The entire offensive line has had issues and when you’re plugging holes with old vets who can’t get it done it doesn’t necessarily help your younger guys when they’ve got to worry about the old vet next to them.

If we can get a viable answer at the RG position then that will go a long way to helping that right side.

James is sometimes very good and sometimes just okay. He has also missed a good portion of a season twice now – 9 games in 2015 and 8 in 2017. I’m not anti-James but I also don’t think he’s a stud like I hoped he would be.

Myles MFin’ Jack!!!

124. I also don’t think we need to sign the guy looking for the big payday. We can get someone solid enough on the offensive line without breaking the bank and making some guy so rich that he’s thinking about retirement rather than playing every week.

125. rich0322 says:

Well, I’ve been talking about Nelson and McGlinchey since early October, so there’s no reason to stop now. I would take either one. …Nelson at LG or McGlinchey at RT. I also really like Wynn from Georgia and Billy Price from Ohio St, so if we can get one of these guys to go along with one of the ND guys, I’ll be a very happy Phins fan.

The score is only 14-0 but the jags are killing the Steelers
    I mean it’s a dominant performance

This makes me want to draft OL

127. rich0322 says:

Interesting, up 21-0 with defense and a running game.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Arden Key, DE, LSU (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Will Clapp, C/OG, LSU (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Braden Smith, OT/OG, Auburn (A)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Skai Moore, OLB, South Carolina (B)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Andrew Wingard, FS, Wyoming (A)

The Beat-Down in Steel Town!

Guess you can take this one of a number of ways. Working for the evil genius is a smart career move, Pats are probably going to lose their OC and DC or rats are jumping the ship. 🙂
    —————————————
    Two of the top candidates to receive a head coaching job interview, New England Patriots coordinators Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels, are now reportedly a few steps closer to their new gigs.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Patricia is expected to take over the Detroit Lions while NFL Media reports McDaniels is leaning toward going to the Indianapolis Colts.

Summon the Son. 🙂

I didn’t realize unless Timmons going AWOL changes this, but he’d be a $8.225M cap hit if we released him.

Honestly I would rather keep Timmons than take that cap hit

I was under the impression it would be zero

Alonso, McMillan, Timmons, Anthony and Allen is a solid group. Then you have the Hewitt’s and Hull’s of the world.

• If we can’t get the guy we want in the draft then so be it. I’d rather we not keep going out in free agency and signing new stop-gap guys every year. Timmons and Alonso would have to do until we could find a suitable replacement.

If we went thru the year and found out that McMillan and Anthony were solid answers at LB at least we know what we’ve go and then just need to find one more good starting prospect.

Again, it all depends on what we’re looking at come FA and draft.

Bortles is going to lose this game.

That’s what it’s looking like

They should be able to string some first downs together and a few fgs to seal it but…bortles

136. What do NFL team front offices that aren’t in the playoffs do at this time of the year? Are they putting in the hours looking at free agency and starting to get their info together on prospects or are they taking time off?

If I’m from a team that didn’t make the playoffs and there’s work to do and I’m at the top of the food chain my guys are in the office working at this time of the year and getting things going for the next year.

I think they are working

I would probably use these few weeks as my break

It gets pretty intense in a few weeks

But when you see guys hired this time of year and leaves me to believe this is a busy season for no playoff teams

I thought it was PI
    But on the reply I can see bortles made it easy
    Didn’t lead the receiver

He is really bad

??????????????
    Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
    24m24 minutes ago
    Vikings CB Terence Newman (foot) is active today; Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater is inactive and Sam Bradford will be the No. 2 QB.

What’s amazing is that there haven’t been any field goals in this game

Hey Squiggly, I wrote an article, and scheduled it for this coming Wednesday, is that OK?

That could be Flowers in a Miami Uni next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 tds in this game