The Wedge Scouting Report: Kamryn Pettway, Auburn

I am relaxing today.  And man do I need it.  How does an Intergalactic Agent relax when he is not destroying lifeforms?  I bowl!

Alien_With_a_Bowling_Ball_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_090112-165901-485048

I’m working on my game.  Honestly I’ve never bowled a strike in my life.  But who needs to knock down pins when you can destroy planets!

Wedge Bowling

Let’s see just release this bowling bomb down lane 15 and….

main-qimg-7d1e48f4155dc0de0f99c616859e9f82-c

STRIKE!!!!

Nothing is going to stop that ball…just like Kamryn Pettway the Auburn Running Back.

Pettway2

Positives:  Built like a fullback, Pettway is one of this classes bigger backs.  He’s 6-0, 235 pounds and a classic North/South runner.  If the Dolphins want thunder to go along with Drake – Pettway fits that mold.

In his best season at Auburn, Pettway gained 1,224 yards on he ground on 209 carries.  That’s an impressive 5.9 yard a carry.  To know surprise Auburn used Pettway a lot in the redzone.  He scored 13 touchdowns the last two seasons at Auburn.

Pettway has a great initial burst.  But its when he picks up speed that he does the most damage, bowling defenders over.  Pettway isn’t just a big man – he runs like a big man.  He uses that size effectively to wear down defenses.

Pettway7

Negatives:  He’s not a home run threat.  Like I said, he’s a north and south runner, who is really better suited for picking up tough yards rather than long runs.

He fractured his should in 2017 and only played in 5 games – no doubt the injury is a result on his running style which is basically “get out of my way”

Only 6 catches at Auburn isn’t going to catch a lot of GMs eyes.  Like many other backs – he needs to work on his blocking as well.

Pettway6

The Alien Dust:  The injury and the lack of breakaway speed means Pettway will be available late in the draft.  I expect him to be a day 3 pick.  If the Dolphins don’t pick a running back, he might be a great fall back option.

I would love to see a big back like Pettway paired with Drake to be our version of Thunder and Lightning.  I even wonder if Pettway can play fullback.

Pettway3

The alien weapon of destruction Pettway compares to should be obvious to you.  He’s a galactic bowling bomb – BOOM!

PettwayBowling ball

Check out his highlights here!

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

391 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: Kamryn Pettway, Auburn

2. My boy Obo is picking up steam after Senior Bowl practice week. Can’t wait to see him play in the game.

3. Some people like DJ Moore as a wr prospect for this team but I’m not so sure the kid is anything better than what we’ve already got in Ford. He sure isn’t as good as Diggs.

4. I think we’re going to see some major changes on offense this year and I mean at the wr positions. I think it’s all up for grabs and the best guys win. IMO, the coaching staff went with the guys we had and penciled them in to give us what they felt was the best chance to win each week and I also think they didn’t do much to develop the guys behind them or to encourage the guys behind them.

I think that is all about to change this season and I think you’re going to see everyone get a shot to play and show what they’ve got and if they can get it done they’re going to be seeing the field. I’m not buying the “Carroo couldn’t beat this guy out or that guy out” argument.

I think the coaches wanted the starters in there and that’s all there was to it. However, I don’t think they’re going to hold anyone back going forward and they’re going to start taking a look at ALL the talent they’ve got on this roster and start trying to utilize it the best they can. We have more talent on the offensive side of the ball than just Landry, Stills and Parker and that trio didn’t get us to where we needed to be this past season.

With Ford coming back healthy and Carroo, Morgan, Scott, Owusu and Lewis in camp we’re probably going to see guys getting the opportunity to battle it out for roster spots rather than just ignoring the talent we’ve got.

And that’s JMHO!!! Douchebag out!!

5. rich0322 says:

My favorite day 3 draftees from this week’s practices at the Senior Bowl.

Kalen Ballage-(RB), Arizona St. North**
    Durham Smythe-(TE), Notre Dame. North
    Marquis Haynes (OLB), Ole Miss. South
    Shaquem Griffin (OLB), UCF. South**
    Darius Leonard-(ILB), SC St. South
    Trayvon Henderson-(S), Hawaii. North**

They are all projected day 3 guys, but 1 or 2 could sneak into round 3

** players our FO has shown interest in this week.

6. I’m sorry but I’m still heavily leaning towards the idea that we somehow can land Buffalo’s #21 and #22 and get a shot at either Edmunds or Okoronkwo at one of those picks and Lorenzo Carter at the other.

• New Age says:

If it wasn’t Buffalo, I’d be more inclined to agree. I think they want this but there is a strong chance the top 3 QBs are gone by pick #6. They don’t have the value to go higher than 5 either.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 14 (G.B.): Roquan Smith, ILB/OLB, Georgia (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Martez Ivey, OT/OG, Florida (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 13 (G.B.): Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Frank Ragnow, C/OG, Arkansas (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Chad Thomas, DE, Miami (FL) (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Kurt Benkert, QB, Virginia (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Van Smith, SS, Clemson (A+)

8. rich0322 says:

My favorite day 1 & 2 draftees from this week’s practices at the Senior Bowl.

Marcus Davenport-(DE), Texas-S.A. South
    Isaiah Wynn-(OG/C), Georgia. South
    Will Hernandez-(OG), UTEP. North
    DaeSean Hamilton-(WR), Penn St. North
    Mike Gesicki-(TE), Penn St. North

10. Chad Thomas’ music career takes him off the board for me. I wouldn’t want to spend a draft pick on a guy only to find out music and not football is his passion. I know it’s his choice and that’s fine but draft picks are too valuable and you’ve only got so many of them. Can’t waste them on players who aren’t going to be around because they decide it’s not what they wanted.

Nice write Pig. We at least know that ORob would approve of Pettway. Seems taking him would be a “Thunder and Lightning” thing. And not against that in the least.

You and your helpers have been throwing out a lot of RBs……you gonna develop a ground game version of the samurai this year?

12. The ice jams on the river from the other night left ice slabs on the river bank over 6 ft high. The mayor of the town where the slabs are located issued a warning to “tourists” who want to see the slabs not to climb on them in case they topple over. Because, ya know, people can be idiots.

13. If we’re sitting there at #11 and there’s qb’s on the board and we know BUF wants one I’d be on the phone w/them saying it’s your for #21, #22 and #53.

• New Age says:

I don’t think they want to help another AFCE team. The value of #11 isn’t close to the value of #21, #22 combined either. They can easily move up to TB to snag what they want. They realistically could move to 5 if they actually threw in a 2nd-3rd. That would be hard for Elway to pass up in he isn’t enamored with QB #3. on the board.

It it’s the Bills so we have to squeeze them

I would jump at 21, 22 and 53

• The draft value trade chart Jimmy Johnson came up with no longer applies. Throw it out the window. If BUF wanted to trade into the top five from where they’re at it’s going to cost them. Especially if the other team knows it’s for a qb.

People are saying Buffalo wants to trade up for some one like Josh Allen

I would do it
      But I bet only about 10% of nfl gems would trade with a division rival

Just spoke to a very dedicated Rutgers fan, and I asked him about Carroo, and why he hasn’t seen any playing time. He told him the guy doesn’t have the drive and desire to be what he can be.

• naplesfan2010 says:

What makes one guy be like Landry and another guy be like Caroo?
      They are almost identical in ht, wt, speed, position, football era, race, family history, etc.
      Only difference I can see is region of the country.

Some people just have this burning, competitive edge, and others who have talent, take it for granted, because they’re fawned over by people who recognize their talent, and then they expect that their talent alone will be enough. In a program like Rutgers, where the level of competition isn’t as high as say LSU, you can get away with it. Then he gets to the NFL, and everyone has talent, and it’s then, that the player either strives to stand out, or continues doing what he’s always done. I think Carroo has done the latter, and if he continues to do so, he’s gonna get cut.

Didn’t Carroo even say after his rookie season he realizes he has to put more work into being a pro? So even he was aware he wasn’t doing enough. Maybe like Phillips they just can’t go to that other level. Not that they don’t want to, it’s just not in their nature.

17. naplesfan2010 says:

Why does the Senior Bowl and some other sites list their heights in four digits like 6015? That is so annoying. Do they just not know how to code it in a spreadsheet so it won’t perform like a subtraction or a date or some other misinterpretation of dashes or quotes?
    It’s so annoying.
    What does 6015 even mean? 6 ft 1 and a half inches? or 6 feet and 15 hundredths of an inch?
    Josh Allen is 6047.!!!! What the hell does that mean? 47 hundreds of an inch?

18. naplesfan2010 says:

NFL.com’s new grades and blurbs scorched Breneman and Fumagalli to the point that I would not draft either one no matter how late. But that guy I like from Indiana sounds good. Hayden Hurst or Ian Thomas to block and catch checkdowns and zone-busters and Mike Gesicki to bust the seams would be a great 1-2 draft at TE in maybe the 2nd and 4th.

We need to totally renovate that position this spring.

Armando reported that we’re in the market for two TEs. Not sure who told him that, but he wrote it.

It makes sense
        I bet he is speculating
        But I would like to draft 2 TEs
        Having 2 4th rounders helps

It could be one in FA who at least is proven in the NFL, not a top tier guy, then we draft one. Then we have those two, Gray, Derby and Duarte competing if we let Thomas go.

• naplesfan2010 says:

I told him.
        for Mike E and me.

It’s weird, when I went to my bookmark for the site the old blog came up and not this one.

Just now? Or earlier

When I published it this morning I forgot to make it sticky
      So it was not “stuck” to the home page

Now it is though

Earlier it went right here but I didn’t post. Then when I came here later, I saw the comments and said wait, I thought it was at 10 and not 1300+.

20. Here’s the thing. If you thought you could get your guys at 21 & 22 and knew BUF was trading up for Allen and you had a much lower opinion of him it doesn’t matter if you’re trading within your division.

• naplesfan2010 says:

He means Buff would not want to trade with the AFC East in this case, not that we would be against it … because they would think it might improve us more than their new pick would improve them, and they have to play us twice a year. If they get their guy but improve the Rams, for example, more in the process, it won’t matter to them very much because they only have to face the Rams every once in a while.

21. Here we go with the Carroo bashing again. The kid shows the opposite and there will be no room on the bandwagon.

I’m not bashing him. I’m stating what he said himself and then looking at why he couldn’t get on the field more. Parker was hurt and missed 3 games and Carroo still didn’t see a lot of action. Then Grant seemed to be the preferred guy. Something is going on with him. I’m hoping he will still pan out. Especially if we do not re-sign Landry.

He hasn’t shown a thing yet

It’s possible the coaches are being super patient (I think they were with a grant)

Maybe Carroo is able to be our slot guy and be like a Matthews for us if we let Landry go

I actually think the real issue is Parker’s shortcomings. If Parker showed something maybe letting Landry go would be more feasible

Parker’s issues are injuries. He’s still productive when he’s good to go. He had 57 catches this year, not 22. LOL

What difference does it make if it’s injuries or not?
        He was actually good for the first few weeks of the season – and then it really tailed off, particularly after the injury

I bet a lot of things players could have equaled his production with more playing time

It’s don’t want to get rid Parker
        But he certainly isn’t a reliable receiver yet

22. naplesfan2010 says:

I have never given up on Caroo. I thought he looked good every time we put him in there.

23. BailBondMike says:

Forgive me, I’m catching up from this week. Almost caught up…

Mary Ann !!!!

BTW, got stuck watching the Bachelor with my wife this past Monday. There is the one girl who reminds me of Mary Ann. LOL

24. rich0322 says:

There’s Davenport!!!

25. BailBondMike says:

White looked impressive on that drive. Penny showed his ability.

26. rich0322 says:

Nice ball placement for White on that TD.

27. rich0322 says:

Nice run for Ballege.

Piggy, I agree Parker has been disappointing. But he can do things no other WR on our team can do. He has the most talent of all of them. We have to decide just like with James last year whether to pick up the 5th year option or not this year, but he’ll be one of our WRs in 2018.

I’m fine with being patient with both Parker and Carroo – I’m not arguing to lop off their heads…lol

Point is, if the argument is Carroo get slide up and be our slot WR if we let Landry go, that would be much easier to swallow of easier of them lived up to expectations

Agreed. If we let Landry walk I think it will be Carroo, Morgan and Lewis along with maybe a FA and/or draftee competing for that spot. I think Grant will always be kind of a specialist to get his speed in the game. I’m not sure he’ll ever be a high catch guy but who knows.

29. rich0322 says:

Nice throw for White.

30. rich0322 says:

Chark looking good at WR.

Was just thinking GDP hasn’t been here in a long time.

32. naplesfan2010 says:

NFL.com has a 7.5 grade on Saquon, the highest this year, followed by QNelson at 7.4 and both Tremaine Edmunds and Bradley Chubb at 7.2

The idea that Tremaine is even a day 2 guy is long over.

33. naplesfan2010 says:

I don’t want to draft a WR, but if i did I would go for Allen Lazard, at 6’4, 225, in the 7th, thinking we could hide him on the PS till Parker either shows up or we get rid of him.

Chiefs traded up from 27 to 10 last year for a QB. Cost them their 1st, 3rd and a future 1st. That’s no where near the value of the Bills #21, #22, and 3rd rounder. There is no way they would ever trade us that deal. There is no way someone else above us wouldn’t do that deal unless they absolutely wanted one specific player. Teams from #7-10 would all take that deal just based off the Chiefs trade. Every lat one of them could use more talent and lots of needs.

White looking good for the South today.

Actually it’s similar value. A future 1st is viewed as a higher value because it’s unknown where it will be. The Bills picks are defined as 20’s. Then there is a 3rd in both deals.

• New Age says:

Actually it’s always valued less because what you can use today is always more valuable. No GM or coach is looking for imaginary picks come draft time. They are looking for what can help them keep their jobs this year.

Piggy, I see what’s happening. The two blogs are connected and I usually scroll to the bottom for comments. The comments for this blog is in the middle.

36. naplesfan2010 says:

“Future draft picks are valued one round earlier than the current year
    In other words, a team could trade a fourth round pick in 2017 and reasonably expect to receive a 2018 third round pick on the market. A current fifth is worth a future fourth. No one really wants future seventh round picks because they hold almost no value.

This valuation of future picks is a representation of time value of money, which means that a draft pick now is worth more than the same draft pick in a future year.”

I believe New Age is correct. Future picks are valued less than a current pick in the draft. In other words, if you’re choosing in the 3rd RD, and you trade a 2019 3rd RD pick to move up to get a player you want, the 2018 3rd RD is more valuable than the 2019.

Naples – Going by Lance Zuerlein’s ratings at NFL.com, I’d say Goeddert would be the best TE for us. What do you think?

39. ElephantRider says:

But that 4th is this year….so more valuable!

41. naplesfan2010 says:

Goedert, Gesicki, Ian Thomas, and Hurst
    Any 2 of those TEs would be an awesome draft.

42. naplesfan2010 says:

Davenport raised his stock, but who was trying to block him?

43. naplesfan2010 says:

I would welcome either Lauletta or White to our QB room. Josh Allen will go too high for my needs.
    “Baker Mayfield should go to Canada.” Agreed.

44. naplesfan2010 says:

I would now be excited to take Leonard in the 6th.

45. naplesfan2010 says:

We got Ajayi in the fifth. So getting a 4th for him is not a disaster. I still miss him though.
    Get me Sony Michel early or Kalen Ballage late and I’ll be happy @RB.
    My fave, however, is now Penny (tip of hat to MF13).
    But he’ll be gone by end of Round 2 and we MUST get a TE and OG in Round 1&2, right?
    Dang it! Decisions Decisions.

46. naplesfan2010 says:

After Senior Bowl
    1st DE Davenport
    2nd TE Goedert
    3rd OG Price
    4th TE Thomas
    4th RB Ballage
    6th LB Leonard SC State
    6th QB Lauletta
    7th S Smith Clemson

47. naplesfan2010 says:

Josh Edwards on CBS has us taking Roquon at #11

• naplesfan2010 says:

Also RJ White (Who?) has the same pick for us,
      but Chris Trepasso has us taking Derwin James.
      Nice player from a great program, but we need a FS,
      and we need more help elsewhere that early.

48. naplesfan2010 says:

Bucky Brooks has us taking Quentin Nelson @ # 11.
    Daniel Jeremiah @11 says we pick Josh Allen.
    Because we “can’t keep relying on Tannehill.”
    Pishtosh.

49. naplesfan2010 says:

This seems like complete idiocy from Draftek. The “author” did not sign his name.
    11 Miami Mike McGlinchey Notre Dame OT Reach/Value +4 Ht: 6’7″ Wt: 310
    EXPLANATION:
    If you’re a Draftnik (and let’s face it; if you are reading this and it’s January, you are an addict), then you’ve heard how trades and QBs are going to dominate the Top 5, probably spilling into the top-10 with as many as five (or six?) QBs leaving the board by the time the Fins pick at #11.

We think that the same dynamic may play out on a smaller scale with Offensive Linemen. A supply-demand inequity exists: too many teams are competing this year for a relatively limited pool of top-level talent. We’re showing the top three OL prospects at #10, #11, and #12, but the Browns could grab one with Joe Thomas comtemplating retirement, and the Bears are in the market in order to keep QB-investment Mitch Trubisky upright.

The Raiders and Bucs are prime trade-back targets. According to our Interactive Draft Trade Chart, it’ll cost Miami 250 points of Draft Bitcoin to move from #11 to the #7 pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and ensure they get one of the top OL prospects in the draft. That’s equivalent to their RD3 and RD6 picks. The Bucs (if you care and I don’t) aren’t feeling too good about spending a #7 on DE Harold Landry, but will feel better about it with the extra picks.

50. naplesfan2010 says:

And Finally to update all the mocks i follow, Walter:

Miami Dolphins: Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech

Consecutive linebackers can be chosen in the opening round, as the Raiders and Dolphins both have atrocious linebacking corps that absolutely have to be fixed.

Compared to Anthony Barr by some, Tremaine Edmunds is a very athletic linebacker with great instincts.

Pick change; previously Denzel Ward, CB

51. naplesfan2010 says:

oops Charley @ Walter says:
    Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama to Miami @#11

The Dolphins could use a safety upgrade next to Reshad Jones, plus could use help at corner. Thus, Fitzpatrick could be a fit for them.

Fitzpatrick totaled 60 tackles, one interception, eight passes broken up and a forced fumble in 2017. He played really well, doing everything that could be asked of a safety. Fitzpatrick is a superb center fielder, covering receivers deep downfield. He is also fast in pursuit, tackles well in space at the second level, can come down into the box, and is able to play man coverage against tight ends and slot receivers, plus help out his cornerbacks. The 6-foot-1, 203-pounder has excellent size and some natural cover skills. Sources have said that Fitzpatrick is a prototypical free safety for the NFL. They say he has good size, speed, athletic ability and high football I.Q. in a play-maker.

In 2016, Fitzpatrick recorded 66 tackles with seven passes broken up and six interceptions. He was dominant at times for Alabama, splitting time between corner and safety. Fitzpatrick had a superb 2015 season for the Crimson Tide. The freshman totaled 45 tackles with two sacks, 11 passes broken up and two interceptions – both returned for touchdowns.

< Pick change: previously Quenton Nelson, G

• naplesfan2010 says:

I wanted to steal him in the early 4th.
      I’d now take him in the 3rd.
      Can we afford him in the 2nd?
      Don’t we actually instead need a Big Bruiser like Ballage,
      whom we can gt in the mid 4th?

I do thhave no we can take a RB in the 2nd
        But I think it’s more plausible if OL is the 1st round pick

53. naplesfan2010 says:

But who is the 11th BPA? since we have several needs:
    CBS RB Derrius Guice
    Draftek DE Harold Landry
    NFL QB Lamar Jackson

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 16 (BALT): Roquan Smith, ILB/OLB, Georgia (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Martez Ivey, OT/OG, Florida (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 12 (WASH): Will Clapp, C/OG, LSU (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 20 (BALT): Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (A)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Marcell Frazier, DE, Missouri (A)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Luke Falk, QB, Washington State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Quin Blanding, FS, Virginia (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Tre’Quan Smith, WR, Central Florida (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: JK Scott, P, Alabama (A+)

56. rich0322 says:

A meat and potatoes kind of draft.

1- Quenton Nelson (OG), Notre Dame- starter at LG

2- Dallas Goedert (TE), S. Dakota St- receiving TE

3- DJ Chark (WR), LSU- another receiver if we lose Landry

3- Tyquan Lewis (DE), Ohio St- added depth and future anchor at DE

4- Ian Thomas (TE), Indiana- blocking TE with some receiving skills

4- Alex Cappa (OL), Humboldt St- play inside at RG, added depth at RT

5- Darius Leonard (LB), S. Carolina St- LB with good pass coverage skills, side line to side line

7- Trayvon Henderson (S), Hawaii- FS will need some time to develop

**2 trades** ( traded down in 2nd round and picked up an extra 3rd & traded up getting a 5th for a 6th and 7th)

FA- #2 RB, backup QB, 1 OL

Meat and Potatoes draft!

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame (A)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Will Hernandez, OG, Texas-El Paso (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Mike McCray, OLB, Michigan (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Marquis Haynes, OLB/DE, Ole Miss (A)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Kurt Benkert, QB, Virginia (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Tre’Quan Smith, WR, Central Florida (A+)

59. There is a real bipolar condition that exists with Phins fans, not on here but elsewhere. They gone from Jackson to Mayfield to Allen and now they’re moving on to Lauletta. I guess it comes with being a fan of this team

I’ll tell you who changed my opinion in the Senior Bowl!

Mike McCray, Michigan
    Position: LB
    6-4, 242lb (193cm, 109kg)

My point on draft picks is tongue and cheek. When we wait until the 4th round to draft a position fans feel was a huge need, it’s not good enough and almost a wasted pick. When a team trades a 4th rd pick we gave away a valuable asset. So which one is it? LOL

rgs, you’re rocking the Senior Bowl. Good stuff!

• rich0322 says:

Thanks. I had the time this week to actually watch the practices. I just wish they had more stuff with the OL & DL. Too much QB stuff, so I really didn’t even focus on the position. I figured everyone would be tweeting about them.

63. BailBondMike says:

My best one so far this year. I took WR Anthony Miller (perfect for slot) with the thought that Landry signs elsewhere (not looking to stir that convo, LOL). I also went heavy on the “O” cause, IMO, out biggest problem last year was putting up points.

How the hell I got an A- when I got an A+ on all my picks. Don’t know…

Your score is: 21276 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Bradley Chubb, DE, North Carolina State (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Billy Price, C/OG, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Durham Smythe, TE, Notre Dame (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Kurt Benkert, QB, Virginia (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Deadrin Senat, DT, South Florida (A+)

• Problem is Miller will never be there in the 3rd. He’s one of the top wr’s in this draft

• BailBondMike says:

I know, it will also come down to what he runs at the combine. He looks like he has speed on film but he is only slightly faster than Landry. That was the reason he was a walk-on at Memphis.

• I’m on the fence about wr in the draft even if we let Landry walk. With the talent we’ve got on the roster at the wr position right now if I’m the GM or Executive VP of this team I’m looking at Gase and saying “you’ve got plenty to work with on the roster at this time and it’s up to you to utilize it”. “I’m not going out and bringing in more players just because you can’t make due with what you’ve got”.

It’s like the kid who keeps coming to you for new sneakers all the time complaining he needs another pair just to play basketball and he’s already got 5 pairs to choose from but wants a specific pair just to play one sport.

You’ve got what you’ve got. There’s plenty of talent. If you’re a good coach you know what needs to be done.

64. Tannenbaum talks out of both sides of his mouth. He says the team needs to do a better job of evaluating the roster and that they haven’t gotten to the point of evaluating the roster as of their Senior Bowl interviews and then he says he doesn’t think the team is that far off.

If they haven’t had the time to evaluate what they’ve got then how can he say he doesn’t think the team is that far off?

I think our last two drafts have been solid. I see a lot of potential moving forward. Some guys need more time than others but quite a few of them are starting and playing significant roles and should get better. McMillan and Ford ended up on IR so we get them back for 2018. Not sure if Ford will make the team but he gives us a taller WR to compete.

66. naplesfan2010 says:

Did you guys see that catch downfield by Jarvis Landry in the pro bowl? such a great pair of hands.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Roquan Smith, ILB/OLB, Georgia (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Martez Ivey, OT/OG, Florida (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Kurt Benkert, QB, Virginia (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Van Smith, SS, Clemson (A+)

Here’s one of those contradictory pros and cons. LOL

• I like Ford and I think we’ve got enough talent at wr on this roster to help us win games. It’s up to the coaches to figure out how to do it. If they design an offense that can utilize more of the talent on the offense by spreading the ball around and getting TE’s who are threats in the passing game we won’t need to target one guy 150+ times a season.

This is a sour subject but I agree. What is we used Stills, Parker, Grant, Carroo and Ford more vertical and used our backs and TEs underneath. 1st read for RT does one of the 3 WRs have a step on a guy or is wide open. 2nd read who’s open underneath first. 3rd read improv, throw it away or run.

Then of course you can get your backs and TEs involved in the vertical game too. I’d rather see more rushing and more vertical passing than all that screen and bunched up WR grouping stuff. Vertical also doesn’t mean bombs away, just past 10 yards or more rather than at the LOS or within 5 yards stuff. I know all teams do this, but do it from time to time, not as a staple.

If you’re struggling to block a specific team, I understand getting the ball out quicker and that means shorter routes. But it doesn’t have to be just screens and hitches, why not more slants so you can catch and run closer to a 1st down and maybe break one? Or quick passes to the backs in the flats with a head of steam.

I really don’t like the ultra short passing game that can put you in 3rd and 8 real quick too often. If you can beat teams down the field off the running game you soften up the underneath stuff.

69. naplesfan2010 says:

I love watching football. My man Landry is in the Pro Bowl. So I am here with a son watching Brees and Alex Smith and meantime scouting draft prospects and studying Colonial American history. It’s what we do. Watch football and read and study stuff. We’re kinda like nerdy jocks. Very nerdy.

I realize that there are HUGE expectations for Raekwon McMillan from most, especially after winning the MIKE job at the beginning of last season. I just hope y’all realize that he’s always been projected as a two-down LB who isn’t very good in coverage.

So if anybody was thinking that he’ll suddenly solve our LB woes in coverage, you’re sadly mistaking. Kiko is MUCH better in coverage than Raekwon has ever been. If that leaves ya feeling queasy, it should.

We need a coverage LB in the worst way, preferably a three-downer like Nigel Bradham via FA. My guy Skai Moore (Pig’s high on him too!) would be a great pick on day 3 of the Draft, but until he adds more weight (218: maybe he gets bigger for the Combine), he’s only going to be a coverage specialist as a LB.

How about watch him play with us before saying he is this or that. He was used more as a downhill LB at OSU.

71. BailBondMike says:

Had to post him again. Again, it all depends on what he runs at the combine cause reports are he could run a 4.5 40 which affect his draft position but if he runs in around a 4.45 then second round is a possibility. I still think there is a chance he is there at pick 9 in the 3rd round.

72. naplesfan2010 says:

Landry blocked well for Bell to get a first down and just now threw a downfield block for TY Hilton.

Scott Baio has a real strong dating resume…and he was never even a huge star like Warren Beatty, Jack, or name the lead singer of a top band. Must have mad skills.

Kristy McNichol, Brooke Shields, Heather Locklear, Melisa Gilbert, Julie McCullough, Nicole Eggert, Nicollette Sheridan, Pamela Anderson, Erika Eleniak, Liza Minnelli, Beverly D’Angelo, Sheila Denise Richards

74. naplesfan2010 says:

Skai Moore had neck fusion surgery and missed all of 2016. I’m a little leery of him. Great production, but he has concrete feet.

January 28, 2018 at 4:40 pm

…I also think we might see more Kiko and McDonald/Jones as nickel LBs with more DBs on the field. But to do this the offense has to score some fucking points. LOL
    ————
    Why do you think we do that… putting a Safety in at LB?

TJ ain’t your normal safety though. Could see it on long downs.

In nickel when you have two big safeties like we do that can hit. I’m talking about 2nd or 3rd and long. If they run we can still play the run. But we also have more coverage on the field when they pass. You just got finished talking about Skai Moore as a coverage LB who’s 218. McDonald is bigger than him and Jones is about the same size.

Naples – I was watching when Landry made that catch, and that was a pretty awesome throw by Alex Smith. Smith a few throws previous to that threw a laser at about 10-15 to Landry that went threw his hands, which was understandable with the velocity, distance and the rain. Some people think his price tag went up this weekend, which i think is utterly preposterous. $$$ hasn’t changed, and won’t change until the sides get to serious talks, or, they break down and then other teams get involved past the deadline to sign.

• naplesfan2010 says:

I certainly wasn’t thinking this game or dodgeball or drone drop would affect his salary negotiations, but he IS representing Miami well.

“Some people think his price tag went up this weekend”
      Based on the pro bowl? LOL

Yeah, I went on twitter about 20 minutes ago and responded to a guy who said that. I think that’s totally ridiculous, but he probably doesn’t really get it.

Stanger – If you’re impressed with Scott Baio, as I’ve mentioned here before, singer John Mayer has a pretty impressive portfolio of former girlfriends.

Katy Perry, Renee Zellweger, Taylor Swift, Kim Kardashian, Scheana Marie (look her up), Jennifer Anniston, Minka Kelly (Not Minkah Fitzpatrick though), Jessica Simpson, Rhona Mitra, Jennifer Love Hewitt and Vanessa Carlton.

M13, you do know that part of the plan for all NFL offenses is to get a playmaker isolated on a LB right? You seem to think every other team can cover everyone with their LBs except us. There are only a handful that can do it really well. Nobody covers Gronk when he’s healthy and that goes for some of the other good TEs in the league. When teams double Gronk and they do it often, Brady just hits some little dude running open for a 1st down. Gotta stop the run, put pressure on the QB and make some plays in the back end. It’s not all about the LBs in coverage.

The Dolphins were 14th against the run and 16th against the pass for an overall 16th in yards allowed. That was with very little support from the offense. We scored 20 points or less 11 times.

That’s what makes TE’s and RB’s that are good receivers out of the backfield so valuable. It’s very difficult for either a LB or S to cover either a RB or a TE, which makes all good receiving TE’s such a mismatch, and good receiving RB’s like Alvin Kamara, Tevin Coleman, LeSean McCoy, Jerick McKinnon and other backs so successful.

Ding!

Drake and Williams showed that. We need to add one of those TEs. Thomas flashed but was a non-factor too often. He doesn’t look like the same guy physically anymore. Forget that it was Peyton and that offense. Thomas was much more explosive back then. Not the same player. Not sure he can be again.

The idea is to get ELITE at the LB position. 90% of all passes nowadays are dropped into LB coverage. The Jacksonville Jaguars are showing the league how it’s done… and with MY guys Myles Jack, Paul Puz, and Blair Brown.

Deon Jones and Kawan Alexander playing today!

Easier said than done and did you watch the playoffs? Their defense got beat a lot. They lost the Championship game though the offense didn’t help. The entire team took their foot off the pedal.

That said I like their defense, they should get even better. That’s what happens when you draft top 5 five times and top 10 five times within a decade. You better get good. LOL

79. naplesfan2010 says:

Stang, dude, j/k on the Air-Head girls comment, ok?
    Heather Locklear is a Babe and Pammy Anderson is duh shizz
    I’d read them their menus at any Happy Hour 2-for-1 Margarita night in town!

80. naplesfan2010 says:

I don’t want to forget Harold Landry at Edge. He is a natural bender and has a sprinter’s first step. He’s raw due to lack of technique coaching, but he could be Vic Beasley 2.0 (Meaning a learning year followed by an explosive career)
    I think Tremaine Edwards is awesome, but he will be gone before Pick 11.
    These are ACC guys I’ve been watching for a long time.

Women are attracted to good looking successful men. Wait what? LOL

Landry had 5 grabs for 78 yards in the Pro Bowl. One went for 49 yards in the AFC comeback win, but then didn’t watch like am guessing a lot of folks.

83. naplesfan2010 says:

<<>>
    NO WONDER!
    And here I thought reading up on colonial history would turn the trick!
    If a girl doesn’t want to see my Greek Revival Lithographs, I mean. That’s what I lead with.
    Mobile in 1812 is just my fallback.

84. Everyone enjoy watching the Snore Bowl?

85. rich0322 says:

Well, I didn’t watch one play of the Pro Bowl.

I can’t wait for the time of year when the sun isn’t down at 4 pm

Didn’t watch the Pro Bowl. Not much interest for me. I wish I could have seen the Senior Bowl but I had other stuff going on that made it impossible to watch. Props to all of those on here who posted their impressions and recaps

Ken and Pig,

Do you guys know when Boba Fett made his debut in the Star Wars universe?

I always remember him in Empire Strikes but I am not sure that was the first reference to him

The first reference to Boba Fett was on the “Star Wars Holiday Special”, 1978. I watched it earlier and I’m here to tell y’all that ya aren’t missing anything… except for the cartoon with Boba that aired within the special itself.

The voices are all the original actors, except I don’t know who voiced Boba. This is the first time the world was introduced to Boba… check it out!

👍 Cool I didn’t know that

I just saw it for the first time today. It is pretty cool!

That’s awesome

I actually saw it before

I remember the Holiday special as a kid too
        I think it’s the one with the Whole Wookie family

That animation cracks me up
        It looks like the Wall
        What’s a matter with Han’s Face – he’s like half horse 😛

Keep your eyes on Emmanuel Sanders. Just saying.

90. ElephantRider says:

Keep your eye on them….

91. Tim,
    the point at LB or any other position is when you’ve got a shot to get someone there who is elite you take it. you don’t look at your LB core and say “oh, I think Kiko will be okay. maybe it was just an off year”.

Fuck that. Kiko is never going to be elite. If anything, you bring in an elite guy who upgrades the unit then maybe you can trade one of the other guys for help elsewhere.

To me, that’s what the team did all the time in the past during drafts like when they passed on Earl Thomas to get Odrick. Maybe they’ve gone away from that type of thinking and I hope that’s the case.

I want a team built.

92. Naples,
    I wouldn’t mind one bit seeing us go after Landry in this draft. He could definitely be our future at one of the DE positions. Has those long arms and can put on a few extra pounds. He seems to be strong for his size and has some good quickness.

Lol at Mike’s joke going over Tim’s head.

Both Sanders and Thomas make over 10M a season right now. I think a Thomas might be close to 14M

What’s the point of letting Landry go to sign one of them? The cap savings would probably be under 3M

If you get them at much less than they are kid now it’s only bc there value has dropped and their value is dropping for a reason

I don’t get why we’d be more interested in signing either of those WR’s instead of re-signing Landry. As far as I know, both are still under contract with the Broncos, and both are 30, Sanders is almost 31. Honestly, it makes no sense to me.

Agreed plus they can’t be trusted

I guess if they were cut and we didn’t have to offer any compensation and then we signed them for somewhere in the vicinity of 8-9M instead of paying Landry 13-14M you save a little cap room

but I don’t think that is building a contender

LOL Ken, there’s that aspect as well

Personally im not sure i trust them not being trusted. There is so much untrustworthy information out there about trusting the trusted media source that trust becomes a really hard to trust source of judgement.

Jets LB Bart Scott and his teammates apparently knew more than the Pats did.

“Let me tell you what the running joke was with Hernandez — as players, we used to always mess with Hernandez when we were on the field and say, ‘Hey man, I heard they found the body,’ because we knew something had happened in Florida. So the whole running joke was ‘I heard they found the body.’ We all knew he was a bad guy. There had been stories floating with this guy for years.”

I think the Pats knew too, or at least knew before the last incident. They brought Tebow in i think almost certainly to try to get him straightened back out. Tebow had kept Henandex in check after an incident that happened at UF when he was a freshman. The Pouncey Brothers were supposedly there the night of the incident but were not involved. All in all most of his demons left him while Tebow remained involved with him, and i think after he entered the NFL he was ok until his people came calling with the their hands out.

A lot of guys who comes from bad areas or grew up involved in a gang culture find it hard to avoid it once they start making money because everyone from their past shows up and there is almost a sense of obligation to them. Hell maybe they do owe them in some ways, maybe shit went down when they were younger and the other guy took the rap, but once that hook gets set in again, they revert back to their old ways.

Just seeing how things went with the Pats and Tebow, i am almost 100% certain the whole reason he was there was to get him to get Hernandez straightened out before it was too late. Little did they know….. I think the secondary reason was they might could get Tebow to convert to TE in the case that Hernandez didnt straighten up and they had to trade him, but ultimately Tebow wanted to continue to pursue being a QB.

Unless am not remembering right, believe the Florida shooting where the victim would not cooperate came out after the new contract, but for the Pats should have known about it then and already the other stuff before. Hernandez just loved his gang life for whatever reason and he consciously sought it out long after he could have separated like others do. Big difference btwn saying hi to the old crew and hitting the town armed.

Lots of other players come from the same, but that also might explain why he has the NFL career record for murders.

Stanger, a lot of them dont say good bye to it. there are tons of tragic players stories where the person didn’t distance themselves from i and it took them down. Hernandez definitely embraced it, but i dont think he looked for it. Just like with the others, those that are successful realize they are past that now and there is no need to continue to live that life, others hit that crossroad and think to themselves that they still have to rep the hood, and are easily coaxed back into that life.

Its a conscious decision to go back, but i dont know that its one they are completely in control of either, because they have inferiority complexes that run so deep part of them think they got to be that way and rep that lifestyle to be a man. I actually pity them to be honest, because those guys will never find peace until they are dead or they break what is a almost impenetrable cycle to break.

Geez guys, think about it a little bit. Gase has a history with both WRs. The team wouldn’t be locked into either of them long-term, they would both be cheaper than what Landry is seeking, and both are more explosive than Landry. Also, if they are released and clear waivers it’s a whole new ball game. I’m not making the decisions and neither are you guys. I’m looking at real possibilities. Okay back to super hero’s. LOL

Yeah, but can you trust either of them?

It’s marginially cheaper Tim.

Why is not being locked into a long term contract a good thing? Would it be bad to be locked into a long term contract with landry and not have to worry about ome WR for years?

That kind of move would be really disappointing. If we don’t keep Landry I hope they don’t overpay another vet to try to take his place to save a small amount of cap room

If the team thinks it can go in without Landry, I hope it’s based on the current roster or we are really fucked

Let’s not play musical WRs and actually build this team based on what we have already

Are they real possibilities? I havent heard they were cut yet, i havent heard they are on the tradingblock. They’re have been rumors that they are in a position to be cut or traded but nothing has ever said Vance or Elway, is trying to move them. In fact Sanders would be a guy you wouldnt want to move if you might be bringing in a new QB.

It’s been reported DEN might move on from both and that’s why I said keep your eye on it. Nothing more. It’s not my decision or move, just sharing info.

I think a lot of the argument of to Landry or not boils down to how replaceable you feel Landry is, because those who are on the “he isnt worth 13mil” seem to to also be on the “we can draft a guy who can replace him” or we can get a cheaper FA to replace him” club and those that say pay him, are in the “you cant replace your best player overnight” club. I think the burden of proof therefore is on the group that says that he isnt worth 13mil to give examples of whom could replace him at a cheaper rate.

A few ground rules, though. I think any idea that a newly drafted rookie, outside of a first round pick should be moot, because we hit a home-run drafting a guy like him in the second, so to expect similar results from anything 2nd or later seems kind of silly. Id almost go as far as to say even a first this year it likely not going to match, but i can see a couple potential first that could possibly give us that. So if you submit a 1st round WR as your example, then show us how you would have to re-adjust the rest of our draft so you and we can see the cost of replacing Landry through the draft.

If its a FA, dont throw something stupid out there, like a guy who has never been in spitting distance of 1k yards or 100 receptions and saying ok he is going to immediately jump his game because you believe he will, someone that has shown consistent proof he could give us the production Landry does. If you are showing us a FA that could do it, show us how much you think we will be playing for this FA and what other moves we might be able to make because of what we are saving from not re-signing Landry to sign them.

I think the odds of replacing him with 1 player are probably less than 10%

But “will we be a better offense without him?” Or “what’s the point of spending like that when we aren’t winning?”

Those aren’t so crazy. I mean I think they are wrong but they aren’t crazy.

Replacing Landry is probably just dealing with where do we go from here?
      I personlly don’t want to have to accept a move like that is okay

I don’t like homework. Pass. 😉

i went to do a mock on fanspeak this morning and noticed a lot of movement of positions for players from just last week. I keep missing on Billy Price because the computer is mocking him in the late 1st now and Dallas Goedert is going in the 2nd now when I was drafting him in the 3rd and 4th two weeks ago.
    Goedert is the one player I am really hoping the Dolphins pick. My only draft crush this year.

There usually a ton of movement right after a major scouting event

I’m sure the senior bowl changed everything
      The combine is usually the most dramatic event in changing rankings

Yes the trust joke went over my head. I still don’t get it.

“Keep an eye on them” as if they are suspicious for some reason rather than they might be released

Mike was just being a smart ass and playing with the words you used

The way you said “keep your eyes on Emmanuel Sanders”. You say that about people you don’t trust, like watch out for them

Tim – I also don’t get why you want a shorter term deal with aging receivers as opposed to locking up a younger one for longer. I’m not sure either gives you more explosion, Sanders had 2 TD,s and an 11.8YPR, and Thomas 5 TD’s, and 11.4 YPR. Neither one is putting up elite YPR numbers, and maybe, hopefully Gase learned his lesson after signing Julius Thomas that just because they were good together once before, doesn’t guarantee you can do it again, especially years later

You do know coaches have their own guys right? I posted it because I heard DEN might move on from that. That’s all. It’s not my grand plan. LOL

Oh I totally get that coaches have their own guys, and like I said, “his guy” Julius Thomas bombed here, so maybe he learned a little something from it.

Also that was there guy, in that system, with that QB (manning) so how that relates to us, with Tanny doesnt seems to line up that closely IMO.

I think there is a good possibility they move on from Thomas. He isnt as new QB friendly as Sanders. Sanders would be more of a guy we might expect to give us a replacement for Landry though, even though their games are pretty different and i think Landry represents more QB friendly traits than Sanders even. Thomas isnt someone we should be interested in, he is a diva and not a great fit for the Landry role, he would be someone we might would think about if looking to replace Parker, but not Landry. He also is more expensive than Landry is going to wind up being. I would say though if Denver does make Thomas or Sanders available or cuts either one, then its going to change the market for Landry which will help us gets him, but get him cheaper so we might wants to “keep an eye on them” just for those reasons.

letting the best players you drafted walk in FA and replacing them with stop-gap older players is not a winning recipe. No bueno.

Also better players but that hurts too much for some fans. LOL

Sanders isn necessarily better, he has some receiving characteristics that are improvements and some that are not, so all in ll they balance out. I think Jarvis helps us, Tanny in particular, more than Sanders.

I don’t think either of them are better at this stage of their careers

McCain shut Sanders down when we played Denver. That was the match-up i was most worried about so year i feel that Sanders isnt quite as dynamic as he use to be, though i do give credit to McCain from improving from 2016 to 2017.

Rockphin says:
    January 29, 2018 at 2:14 pm

I don’t like homework. Pass. 😉
    ———————————————-
    Part of it probably is you didnt read the assignment…. like the burden of the assignment was on those that believe that Landry wasnt worth re-signing…. lol

Also, yeah i bet if you checked most of the movement you saw Rock was those that were at Senior Bowl and put up a good week. They usually make a good jump afterwards. Allen is probably unlikely to fall outside the top 10 but maybe 50% of the time now, whereas before he was a B+ taken at 11. He probably would be an A+ now.

Bills center Eric Wood just retired

Guys, Denver’s QB situation was worse than ours last year and Sanders was banged up. By the way 30 and 31 years old is not dead. LOL

Instead of keep your eyes on them, I’ll say don’t be surprised if we target one of them if we let Landry walk. 🙂

Mike, Julius Thomas doesn’t have anything to do with D. Thomas and Sanders. It’s just a convenient comparison to make it a negative. And again, I’m not saying this is the way to go, just that I think Gase would be interested in both players in the right scenario.

yeah, you lost me at the POSSIBILITY of work. LOL 😉

D says:
    January 29, 2018 at 2:28 pm

Couldn’t confirm that. I haven’t tuned in really yet so the Senior bowl, east west, etc arn’t on my radar. I just noticed that Billy Price G was consistently being taken at the end of the 1st when I was filling that need in the second with him before Goedert was another I noticed I kept missing on now. 😦

There is a dichotomy in my feelings towards a coach bringing in “his guys” from past teams. First if they work out an my team benefits that is great, but I still don’t like it because they aren’t “home grown” guys. It’s just my make up. I am not an NFL fan. I am a Miami Dolphins’ fan. My allegiance will always be to “my guys”

But once they aren’t Dolphins anymore then they aren’t “my guys” and I don’t root for them anymore. It’s nice for Ajayi to be playing in the Big Game** next week but I don’t really care.

D, our defense shut everyone down against Denver. LOL

112. D,
    I don’t think you necessarily need to replace Landry. Any OC who is worth anything would be able to design an offense that would take advantage of the talent the team has on offense. If we were to either sign a FA TE and draft another or draft two TE’s or whatever it’s up to the OC and the HC to come up with an offense that utilizes the talent you’ve got on the team regardless of whether or not Landry is there.

We don’t need to bring in a wr that can be targeted 150+ a season and average 100 catches a season. None of that matters. We need to take the talent that’s on the offense and utilize it properly. We need to have an offensive line that can do their job in the run game and we need players who can execute the plays like they are supposed to execute the plays.

So, once again, I’m not concerned about losing Landry because I don’t consider him irreplaceable and the reason why I don’t is because it’s kind of a narrow minded way of thinking of things that you can’t win because you’re missing one player on offense. The offense lacked the talent it needed to get the job done so you add the talent where it’s needed, offensive line and tight end, and THAT would make all the difference in the world.

If we spread the ball around more on offense it will go much further than targeting ONE guy 150+ a season.

By the way, I have 2 picks to replace Landry. One MAY go in the first: Anthony MIller, Memphis. The 2nd is Darren Andrews of UCLA.

We don’t know what those picks will do in the nfl

But even if they succeed – we just had to spent another pick in a WR, instead of somewhere else

12 teams made the playoffs this year and none of them had Landry on their team.

It reminds me of when it’s cut down time in the NFL, our fans are worried that other teams will all be plucking our talent because we’re so loaded. LOL

• none of the teams with top 10 defenses had Suh either

• If coaches are running around the building yelling “oh my God, we can’t afford to lose Jarvis” then it’s time to find a new coaching staff.

New coaches who not be happy about letting our best players go before they arrive

• You see, if it’s me as an OC I’m looking for my chance to show what I can do. Personally, I like what we’ve go in house at wr. I really don’t think we need to draft another. Where we are lacking is at TE and that’s the bigger problem.

If we can get two TE’s on the roster who can help in the passing game and utilize our rb’s out of the backfield as pass catchers then we can probably be more successful on offense than we were last year. But, we need to have an offensive line. Personally, I think that’s the key on offense.

Put it this way. We go into the season with nothing new on the offensive side of the ball and it’s not going to matter if we keep Landry.

When all is the sudden, it’s Isiah Ford time. LOL

Regardless of what happens with Landry, WR is the easiest position to find. It’s the most abundant of positions. Look at NE, they go through them and change them all the time and they never miss a beat. Why not follow the blueprint that works?

115. naplesfan2010 says:

So I am going to a wedding of some young people in Colorado. What if there is pot-smoking at a party at which I am in attendance and I breathe in a quantity of 2nd hand smoke large enough to register positive.
    Can i be held liable or guilty or whatever the legal term is by an employer here in Florida?
    Could that be grounds for termination here to do something that is legal there but not here?

• pheloniusphish says:

Yes. If any of my employees in Florida popped positive, I would have to terminate them regardless of where and how they inhaled. It is still illegal at the federal level.

Naples at the wedding.

Probably

It’s illegal federally and in Most states. frankly probably depends on the language of the employment contract. If it was nuanced or limited enough to permit marijuana where it legal by state, then maybe

But I would err on the side of caution and not do it if I was drug tested in FLA even if everyone knew I was coming back from Amsterdam

I don’t advocate not re-signing Landry, just not at $15M-$16M a year. $12M-$13M sounds about right, but if they had to go to $13.5M I would pull the trigger all day long. Landry’s production can be replaced – nature abhors a void – but it would be nice to keep our own.

This is pretty ironic, I just looked at my FFL site WR rankings and Landry is tied for 12th with guess who?

118. Out of everyone mentioned from DEN the only one I’d be interested in is Anderson as an addition to our rb’s. His guaranteed is done but he’s looking at $4.5M in base this yr and next. Only problem is what we’d need to give up in a trade.

However, if DEN does decide to move on from him there’s a good chance MIA becomes the team of choice for him with two former coaches on the staff.

I still don’t get why they’d get rid of him. He had a good year and his contract is not a burden. But why would we want to take on his contract when Drake makes $910K?

• me neither. I don’t like the idea of giving up anything other than our extra pick for him though; especially if we’re taking on that contract. in any case, the contract would only be about 3% of cap so that’s not really that bad.

Drake showed some stuff last yr but it is still only a small sample. you don’t want to put all your eggs in one basket at rb. Having a guy who can split time with him in the backfield and still be effective running the ball as well as catching it would help the offense out quite a bit.

I wouldn’t be against it.

I’d prefer to re-sign Williams and draft a back. Spend money on the OL if anywhere.

pheloniusphish, I think the team should resign Landry, at a fair going rate, and should try to make him feel wanted. I am a fan of his (as a Dolphin) and would be, (saying sad or upset would be too much) disappointed if they let him walk. That being said, I too am a douchebag and don’t count.

I thought this was a good interview with a GM albeit a different sport. He sheds light on a lot of things that pertain to football as well.

Too the question above about popping positive on a drug test in Florida after visiting an area where pot is legal “locally”, yes the company can fire you (or remand you to treatment, depending on the written policy) even though it is legal where you were. My company is based in Florida but works all over the country and they held a meeting to lay it all out to all the employees. I’m the only one in the company that is double secret exempt. 😉 When the memo went out that the company was going to institute the policy, I walked in and resigned immediately and told them why.

They said, well you just wont be tested then….

Hard to say Julius Thomas has nothing to do with Emmanuel Sanders or Demaryius Thomas, he sure does. They’re all former players who succeeded with Gase in the past. I don’t mean that just because Julius Thomas didn’t play well here, the other guys won’t, but what they do have in common, is that they all played with a great QB together when Gase was in DEN, and they won’t be playing with that QB here in MIA. They’re numbers this year were underwhelming, Landry actually scored more TD’s than both of them together. Sanders is more like Stills but probably not as fast, and Thomas is a possession receiver, with a little bit of Parker’s 50/50 ability. He’s not an explosive player anymore IMO. We’ll see what happens, but I know I will be disappointed if that’s the way they go, with one of those guys instead of Landry.

What I meant is because J. Thomas didn’t pan out as well as we had hoped, it doesn’t mean other players follow suit just because they played on the same team in the past. Players are different people. Julio Jones will be 29 and A. Brown 30 next season. They’re not done.

Whether we acquire one of them or not, let’s see their production next year. I don’t think either player is done and they both still have big playmaking ability. Their QB situation stunk as well. Ours was actually better with Cutler. LOL

Lou, thats a fine way to describe your strategy for replacing him, you feel like the offense can be modified to absorb the loss, and you can get as much improvement in the overall offense upgrading other places, rendering his contribution moot. I cant say i agree with it but that’s an explanation of what your strategy would be for moving past him at least.

Im seeing the loss as much more of impact so i think we need a significant upgrade on offense to offset it. TE might, but i think our system also is pretty reliant on the slot receiver so i think having a good one is probably more important than just TE upgrade covers. We do need a TE upgrade though as it is an important piece to the overall system.

Lou, I saw enough from Drake to make me feel confident he can be the feature back. Not saying 25-30 rushes every week, but I think he can handle 20+ total touches rushing and receiving. He is a threat to go the distance on many plays and he showed me more moves, stop and go quickness and power than I thought he had. He has good instincts and is a natural catching the football. He also showed the ability to take on a blitzer and block him. We might have found a real gem in Drake.

• don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that I don’t think he can’t be an asset in the offense. It’s just that he’s all we really got right now. if we sign Williams he’s an asset as a pass catcher more than a runner and I’ve always liked what Williams does for the offense.

but, I wouldn’t be against bringing in a guy like Anderson if the price was right.

Man! I don’t like the way the draft keeps falling for me. I’ve done like 4 in a row that I just don’t like. I think Ireland could do better.

naplesfan2010 says:
    January 29, 2018 at 3:50 pm

———————————————-
    Ive discussed this with employees multiple times. You really dont need to consider the legality in your state or the legality in your country with regards to is it something you can do. You have to think to your status as an employee of a company and what their policy on drug use is. Its likely some companies will take THC off the list of substances they test for, and if so thats basically dealing it legal for you to use.

Yes there may be fines if you are caught with it in your possession under the state laws, but how many people go around that daily, how many people really think of the legality of it that want to do it and that stops them, not many. How many though fear popping positive on a drug test at their company and thats the ultimate reason they dont use it, a lot. People are more governed by the policies and procedures of their business than they are by state laws, it sounds backwards but its the truth.

Another point to make of it is while alcohol is legal, and companies do not prohibit the use of it, companies that test for drugs many times test for alcohol, so legal or not, if you have it in your system, ie under the influence of it, they will fire you just the same as if it was an illegal substance, because its against their rules just the same as the illegal stuff.

Its highly (yes that pun was intended) unlikely that you will pop positive off just second hand exposure. Now if you are sitting for an excessive amount of time in a bonged out car, you probably will. Also the amount you are exposed to wouldnt stay in your system long. You need to smoke it more than just a few times for it to really seep into your fatty tissue and remain in your system the month or so that it can if you are a habitual smoker. So likely even if in that situation you described, the positive reading wouldn’t be there a couple days later. You could always go to the gym and workout heavily for the next couple of days and drink a good amount of water if you are really worried about it.

January 29, 2018 at 3:25 pm

12 teams made the playoffs this year and none of them had Landry on their team.

——————————————
    12 Teams made the playoffs and they had their best offensive player on the team when they did it. I really dont know what you are saying with that statement. Landry is to our offense what Amendola is to NE, they made the playoffs with Amendola, and actually the most recent game he really was a major reason they got to the next game. How can you be the guy tht says it takes contributions from everyone for a team to win games and then say losing the one that contributes the most isnt going to hurt us?

I was simply saying we’re not talking about a once in a lifetime player here. There are some great players in this league that aren’t on teams that win a lot. A lot of teams have some success without having “the” special player and I think the Dolphins can go on without Landry, the same without Ajayi. That’s all. The same can be said for Suh.

January 29, 2018 at 5:24 pm

And don’t shoot heroin or eat Tide pods. LOL
    —————————————————–
    That tide pod challenge shit is fucking retarded. There is a new one now too. The new thing is for people to walk up to strangers and pull a gun and put it in their face to see what kind of reaction they will have and if they will pull a gun back. Its kind of reminiscent of the thing that was happening a few years back with the challenge to walk up to a complete stranger and see if you can knock them out with one cold-cock punch. I really dont know where our fucking society is going these days, i do know that its not good. Its looking more nd more like we have finally made it to the wold of Idiocracy, though that was expected to be quite a few more years down the road.

Ok so the challenge isnt to do it to a stranger, both people are apparently involved but its meant to freak the fuck out of people because you do it in a very public place. Still very fucking stupid and already one kid is dad from it when the one of them had their gun go off accidentally.

Violent video games has a lot to do with it IMO. The information overload as well desensitizes young people more than ever. There are more rebels and risk takers than ever before. When I was young, the entire world was still so out of my range. Not anymore. We can find out what’s going on everywhere with a simple task.

January 29, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Don’t worry, the draft is not going to go the way those simulator’s have it anyway. LOL

LOL No doubt.

I quit. It was getting frustrating watching they guys I was going to pick come off the board the pick or two ahead of me! Grrrrrrr.

It’s only January and I already don’t like this draft. 🙂

You won’t get second hand smoke no matter how high everyone might be. They’re using vape’s and edibles nowadays. Relax, try some gummies!

That pull the gun thing down here is going to get casual observers to unload on these dumb asses. A lot of people down here have concealed carry permits. I dont want to know what kinda issues its going to cause in Texas, that shit is going to be deadly.

Charlie Campbell from Walter football has us taking:
    R1P11 Minkah Fitzpatrick FS/CB Alabama
    R2P42 Hayden Hurst TE South Carolina
    R3P73 Royce Freeman RB Oregon

as out first 3 picks. Id be pretty happy with that though i would kind of like to have seen a QB by then

Son,
    Some of those crazy fuckers are dropping drops in their eyes to get it in their system faster and stronger. These kids are on a level of crazy that’s almost hard to fathom.

They turkey baser alcohol up their ass, they plug pills, they snort almost anything they can crush up and get up their noses. Im not as ancient as you some of you but for fucks sake, it use to be smoke it, snort it, swallow it, or inject it. Now its inject it….where? Swallow it…. through which end? Snort it….liquid or powder? Smoke it….and what flavor do you want that in? WTF lol.

Here you have it. SMH

136. ElephantRider says:

Kids/ people have been doing dumb shit forever. But now thanks to social media we can all become famous for 5 seconds…..

Dumbasses!

The idea of either Sanders or Thomas as a replacement for Landry makes Hulk angry 😡

Emmanuel Sanders really doesn’t have a lot of a connection with Gase. Gase and he were only on the team together in Denver for 1 year.

Can anybody tell me why Rutgers’ DE Kemoko Turay is currently projected to go on day 2 of the Draft? He may have 4.67 speed, but his stats suck, his production sucks, his tape sucks, and he can’t even generate a highlight reel.

Half the time, he just stands there after the snap trying to figure out what’s going on. He’s often the last to the ball (if he even gets there), QBs run past him, and he can’t shed a block.

Sometimes the draft rankings we have are kinda bogus. Sometimes though its because as a physical specimen its hard to get that combination of untrainable things in a person so raw as they might be, there is just too much potential there to pass on. Josh Allen right now is probably the top of that mound, his ceiling is just so astronomically high compared to the rest of tese QB’s that people are tempted to take him over a better statistics guy just because they are afraid they are passing Dan Marino to take Todd Blackledge.

Ken, Landry has never had a season as good as D. Thomas or Sanders. Just saying.

He never had Peyton Manning as his QB either. Just saying

They are declining talents. Landry is still ascending.

Its not like Landry broke an NFL record for receptions in his first 5 seasons or anything

Those two guys are on the wrong side of 30 – we don’t get the benefit of their performances with Peyton Manning years ago, we get 2018 receivers with this best years behind them who put up eye catching stats in there years with the best QB of all time – its an obvious downgrade to save a nominal amount of cap room

Sorry you don’t let your guys go to chase other vets in free agency – that doesn’t make sense. You are always going to spend a lot in free agency

Turnay also had a pretty good Senior Bowl so i think he was probably a 3-4th round guy to start with and i think he is climbing. To be honest i really havent looked very hard at him but 6’5, 255, 4.67 speed, that’s those things ya cant teach kinda standing out.

Jarvis’ rookie year was better than Sanders last year. Jarvis’ second year was better than any of Sanders years in Denver aside from 1. Jarvis’ 3rd year was better than any of Sanders years in Denver except the 1 and overall Jarvis’ last 4 years compared to the 4 years Sanders has been in Denver, Sanders only has an 84 yard advantage over those 4 years and they are dead even on TD receptions….

The year Sanders got the 1404 yards and 9 TD’s was Peyton Manning’ss 2nd best statistical year of his career.

What do you think Landry would have done with Manning as his QB?

How about Stills who I think compares favorably to sanders

Also, Sanders contract is 11mil per average, which is just 2 mil off what we are suggesting Landry will get that is considered too much. He signed that contract 2 years ago in a market where there was more competition at WR than there is this coming year. Also, in 2019, if we were to pick him up, his cap number is almost 13mil…..

LOL @ you guys so emotional about Landry. All defense systems are up. LOL

Here’s the thing for me. I don’t care what the guy’s name is or his number, if the Dolphins are good I’m rooting for those guys. I’m rooting for someone else to come along that wears #42 so I can replace the name Clay with it and wear it again that it makes sense. 🙂

Im just giving a rebuttal to the argument made, no emotions here, its just sometimes when quick glance at things they seem to really show one thing, where a deeper investigation shows something much different. When i looked, i saw that it actually made Landry’s good traits stand out even more, because Sanders is a receiver i have always liked, and Landry is a lot closer to him than i initially thought as well.

They are different receivers, but they both have been getting it done and their 4 year averages show they have been helping out their teams pretty equally. I guess its someone else’s fault we dont have a Superbowl, because Denver got one with Sanders.

I want to keep Landry but even if we never had Landry I would not want us to sign Sanders and Thomas at this stage of their careers

For a year or two as you develop younger WRs? They can still play. Wake is going to be 36 and he had 10.5 sacks and lead the team this season. Antonio Brown will be 30. Is he done?

This isn’t a crusade to replace Landry. It’s what if we don’t re-sign him. The Dolphins go on. You look for good players.

D, did you see my earlier post. Just to show I’m fair and balanced. 🙂

January 29, 2018 at 4:30 pm
    —————————————————–
    You can follow the thread from there. LOL

Tim, why do you hate Landry so much?

Btw Tim it isn’t emotional yet but let him walk and I’m going ape shit

I think that if we hear of a contract restructure taking place, there’s a pretty good chance that we’re bringing Jarvis back… especially if it’s Suh who restructures. However, I don’t think we’re going to hear of a restructure prior to announcing the re-signing of Jarvis: that would give the Jarvis camp more ammo to ask for outrageous $$$.

I guess what I’m saying is, I’m listening closely for rumors of a restructure(s) forthcoming. And to that end, I’ve not heard a peep.

That’s all I’ve got regarding Jarvis and this waiting game.

Son, if we went 12-4 without Landry how would you feel a year from now?

If we Re-sign Landry
    I’m calling it now
    Tim can’t buy his jersey!

Actually I shouldn’t either…

154. I want zero retreads coming to this team unless it’s in a backup role capacity. Larsen, IMO, should have been a guy who gave us depth at G and C at best and that’s it. Same thing with a guy like Bushrod. So as far as these wr’s from DEN are concerned I say pass.

155. Serious question. We sign a FA o-lineman and draft one. The offense stays the same. Bubble screens and what not. Do we score more points and win more games even if we keep Landry? I know we signed a new OC but this is a hypothetical.

• ElephantRider says:

Penalties killed the offense too. If the OL pan out and penalties go down I say yes.
      I know you don’t want to hear this, but RT17 comes back too. All that together should vastly improve the offense. RT17 is much more mobile than the QBs were last year and if…..I said if….. he starts off the way he was playing before injury, they score lots more.

• Sorry but Cutler moves around in the pocket and avoids pressure better than Tannehill. Plus he gets rid of the ball instead of taking the sack.

I agree with the pocket Lou, but Tannehill moves and throws much better on the run than Cutler does, plus, Tannehill can run well in the open field, at least before the injury.

Just heard this morning that Blake Bortles had wrist surgery, and if he’s injured at the start of the NFL season, which I believe is February 6th, he’s guaranteed his $19M salary for this season.

In other words, it’s pretty likely JAX will have Blake Bortles

The league year starts in March. Blake is in the same situation as Ju’wan James where they already took the fifth year option but have one last shot to get out of it if they choose to.

On NFL radio this morning, they said if he’s injured, and he must be since he just had wrist surgery, they can’t get out of it. I guess it would be the same w/Ja’Wuan James

157. ElephantRider says:

Yeah. Cutler was shit throwing on the run. His pocket presence was sometimes good, which it should be with his experience, but a lot was just running back and throwing off back foot. He was no way a threat to run…..or catch a pass. Lol

Son – waivers begin Feb 5th, so I guess that’s the start of the league year.

New blog up