Wedge Scouting Report: Sony Michel, Georgia

Earthlings have a petty low opinion of me.  And why Shouldn’t they – I travel the galaxy and eliminate lifeforms.  But I’m not that bad.  In fact, I love being generous.  I love to give back to the Universe!

PyramidOphanage

I love the little tadpoles, the baby slimes and tiniest lifeforms.  I’m talking about alien children of course!  The smiles on their faces when you give them a gift.  It’s heart warming!  Nothing like it!  Here you go little guy (Wedge hands a baby slime a gift)  It’s a jack in the box!  Wind it up for a surprise…

Wedgebearinggfits

Doesn’t that just get you!  There is nothing like it….well maybe something…I think its a lot like watching some of the electric runs in the SEC this year.  I already talked about Nick Chubb with you but what about his teammate – Sony Michel.

SomyMichel1

The Positives:  Georgia’s other running back might just be the second overall running back selected in the 2018 draft after Barkley.  He’s not as big as Chubb – but he’s explosive.  At 5’11, 212 pounds the South Florida product ran for 3,613 career rushing yards for the Bulldogs.

Michel’s resume at Georgia was filled with plenty of big runs.  He is a former track star and expected to run somewhere around the 4.45 range when he runs at the combine.  We will see how he does – but you can see his blazing runs on tape.  But more than anything he is quick – really quick!  He can stop on a dime, accelerate and change direction faster than he defender causing a lot of defenders to look silly!

Michel also contributed to the passing game at Georgia.  He had 64 career catches for 621 yards.  So he is a versatile back that will fit really well in Adam Gase’s offense.

SonyMichel4

The Negatives:  Frankly, I don’t see a lot of negatives.  The guy can run.  He has had a history of injuries from High School to College including a torn ACL, a broken left forearm, and a left knee injury which took him out of the 2017 SEC Championship game. But if you watched the NCAA championship game you saw him at full speed, so it’s nothing to worry about.

He’s also not stellar in pass protection – but honestly you kind of expect some of these elite college rushers to need to work on that in the pros.  In College and High School, coaches tend to want the ball in their hands when they are on the field.

If the Dolphins are looking for a power runner to pair with Drake – he is not the guy.  But I suspect the Dolphins value versatility more than anything else.

SonyMichel5

The Alien Dust:  I really love this running back.  In fact, I pretty much love all the SEC running backs coming out.

A player like Michel, who split carries with Chubb has a lot left to contribute to the NFL.  The power tandems in the SEC really should be an asset in the NFL.  These guys don’t have a lot of wear and tear on their body.

It also should not go unnoticed that Michel is from Plantation and went to American Heritage High School, which is jus around the corner from Davie.

I wonder if Michel is already a Dolphin fan.

Sonyinthe box

Michel is like an exploding gift box that some stupid baby slime thinks is a jack in the box….He will destroy the entire planet before you blink!

Oh….you didn’t think I was serious about that generous stuff did you?

exploding planetslime

You can watch his highlights here!

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1,396 Responses to Wedge Scouting Report: Sony Michel, Georgia

son of a son of a shula says:
    January 25, 2018 at 5:16 pm

His twin brother is the rookie CB on Seattle if you didn’t know that. They’re about the same size.
    ————————————–
    I wondered if they were related. I remember doing scouting type work on Shaquille last year when he was entering the league. I remember them talking bout his twin brother then but i thought something happened to his brother and he couldn’t keep playing football or something like that.

Another page turn, at least this one isnt kicking off the new page with as many fireworks as the last one lol

Oh now i remember, he lost a hand, but he still splays, and plays at LB where tackling is a must. Thats freaking impressive lol. Good enough to make Senior Bowl invite and your a 1 handed LB. I hope people of the world who bitch about their situations and wallow in pity have to stare at this guy having success every Sunday.

January 25, 2018 at 2:25 pm
    Piggy, you’re doing a lot of assuming about we could have already re-signed Landry. He turned down our offer and the FO thinks he’s over-pricing himself. It’s not that complicated. He thinks he’s worth more than the FO does. Happens all the time in the league and that’s why teams let players walk in FA.

This has always been a sports debate about a player being good vs. great. I don’t value Landry as great. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he’s a good player.

*******

It’s not an assumption. I’m basing this on Armando’s reports. He is the one that reported that Landry group made an offer and the dolphins have not responded to it

That’s not normal. It doesn’t happen all the time.

It’s just this FO’s strategy

From the article below.

“Another reason the transition tag doesn’t make sense? The Dolphins already know Landry wants to be paid like Davante Adams, who is averaging $14.5 million per year from the Green Bay Packers. The Dolphins don’t want to pay that, folks.”

Landry’s agent also knows the team doesn’t want to pay that. They should know that from the first contract we offered and that’s why it’s at a stand still. It’s not like nobody knows what’s going on.

IMO the transition tag isnt for people you know are going to get a bigger contract, its for people that you think the market will negotiate their price back down for you. You dont have to match the offer, but if for example you cant negotiate 13mil per with his agent, you let him hit FA under the transition tag and if he only gets offered 12 or 13, then you got the agent to negotiate with you the hard way because he cant be pissy with us and decide to accept an offer from another team that’s lesser than ours or we will just invoke the transition tag and get him for that price. I think the transition tag is a fine idea.

It’s like the FO just said – “hey he wants this money, let’s see if he gets it in free agency”

You are defending that?

The transition tag is guaranteeing him we get him for the price we want to pay because we can make the decision after the market sets it and then choose if we want to match or let him walk, where is the loss for us in that? Obviously we should be smart and make an offer that might be lesser before it comes to that, and convince him he would be better off taking it than risking FA, but the transition tag does give us some control of keeping him or not even if he does make it to FA.

Id offer him 5 years 60mil, 30 mil guaranteed, and if he doesn’t take it by the time the tag deadline approached, id transition tag him and see what happened.

Piggy, not defending anything. Both sides know what each other wants. It’s also still January.

I see the FO playing a game of chicken with our best player

And that’s a problem

They need to be taking a compromising stance. I dont feel they need to reach all the way across the table here, but there should be at least a half way point reach out. Landry to me has earned that.

So your approach is just pay him whatever he wants regardless of the amount or what the FO values him at?

January 25, 2018 at 6:08 pm

You are defending that?
    ————————————–
    No im not defending that, i want them to offer before then, but as a last resort, that transition tag is a way we can stay in play to have the last say in if we are willing to match what he is asking for. Im saying its insurance to prevent losing him

7. ElephantRider says:

I wouldn’t transition tag either. There’s usually going to be a poison pill in the deal from other team. Now you’ve lost ability for comp picks as well.

To Landry or not to Landry…..

To me, that Devante Adams contract is not player friendly. I mean its 14.5 mil a year and that probably pops some eyes open, but its ony 18 guaranteed. Thats almost a one and done contract, as most of his guarantees can be covered in his first year. Landry would do himself a lot better looking for the guaranteed money, especially as a slot receiver who could be a safety like McDonald away from being the ding fries are done guy every day for the rest of his life.

Ok so if the average of the top 10 salaries at WR is 14.2, though they even said thats not necessarily what the number will be since they haven’t release the official numbers yet. So, maybe its not the right option. Also i do kind of remember that the contract language thing can get you messed up, since you have to match the contract how they structured it and not how you might have wanted to structure it. That said, we probably cant use it, but again, its not something i would want to use anyways. He needs a strong offer made, and like Piggy said it sounds like they are kinda drawing it out, like playing some sort of game with him.

I never have like the haggling game. It would be so much better if you just player rock, paper, scissors to find out which person was to make the first offer and then you just go back and forth until you hit the number that’s your stopping point and when both people hit that stopping point the negotiation is over and if you are at the same number then you have a deal, if you aren’t then you move on. All the sneaky little games like leaking stuff to the news, or playing chicken, or the flinch game just makes the rock paper scissors option seem very mature lol.

9. Transition tag would make no sense because you’re tying up cap space for an amount equal to what you don’t want to pay him and you need that cap to sign other free agents

Right! Then like ER said you get a poison pill contract from the opposing team like what happened with Clay and now the FA pool is thinner when you get that cap space back.

Miami Dolphins – Arizona State running back Kalen Ballage (formal night interview)
    Read more at http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018meetings5.php#QCG6g8wBo74xlEOJ.99

11. Jahndoh30 says:

The discussion of “what is a player worth” is always kinda pointless. The marketplace determines that, and the marketplace basis it on their play. What numbers we come up with as fans don’t matter.

I like to look at history, if a player is the top FA at his position in any given year, look at last year’s top free agent at that position for the starting place. It generally goes up from there.

Really the critical question is resource utilization. If someone says “I wouldn’t pay that for Landry”, I would be most interested in reading about how they WOULD use those resources to make the team better.

In the end, losing a player like Landry simply isn’t going to make a team better, so opting not to chase him for big money needs to be motivated by another positive outcome…what is that outcome, and what’s it’s look like?

It’s similar with the draft but not exactly. If it’s not a great draft class teams picking high try to trade down but can’t much of the time because all the teams feel the same way. LOL

FA though effects the salary cap and just because a guy might be the BPA at his position doesn’t mean he’s on that tier that the market suggests.

FA is always about negotiating and it’s not always easy or a slam dunk.

• Jahndoh30 says:

If the market pays him, he’s on that tier. I don’t have a lot of faith for a single front office to determine a players worth, but I have 100% faith that the collective wisdom of the entire NFL (read: the entire marketplace) in paying a player appropriately.

Whether a player lives up to those expectations is a different story, but crystal balls don’t exist.

FA is most certainly about negotiating, and what we’re consuming right now for information is more negotiating tactical information leaking then anything else.

12. Jahndoh30 says:

Piggy, I tend to think how you do about Landry’s worth, but I do think it’s early to get upset about how the front office is negotiating, 1) it’s misinformation season, and 2) we won’t know until its all over how things really played out….

Last years transition tag for WR was $15.682m. That was about 3% higher than 2016. Y’all do the math. It is highly unlikely Miami uses it on Landry.

Spotrac

Verified account

@spotrac
    59s60 seconds ago
    ICYMI: How much are the top NFL Free Agents at each position worth? Our calculated market values for 50 expiring contracts:

Just because a team or two is willing to pay a guy a huge contract doesn’t mean the other 30 teams would. In fact, most teams are not going to try to sign Landry, and it will be because they don’t feel he’s worth it. He will price himself out of most markets. His market value represents what ONE team is willing to pay him….not what EVERY team feel he’s worth. Again, it’s about how you define “value”.
    ***
    Was Mike Wallace’s “value” determined by his huge contract….or his performance on the field? Did he somehow become more valuable as a football player because we gave him a lot of money, or was his value as a player determined by what he did on the field? It’s semantics.

Not entirely true. For a team to offer big dollars for a player only happens because other teams are willing to pay him as well. Maybe not 30 other teams but at least a few

Wallace is a great example. He was a deep threat within an offense, not a get me the ball all day type guy. PIT knew that and let him walk. They were proven right.

Jahn, it’s still unknown for us as far as what I’m suggesting here because we don’t have all the players yet. But I believe we replace Landry’s production with a good TE and a group of backs who can catch out of the backfield. I don’t like an offense that goes through one slot WR. If you have a bunch of guys who can do that fine, but if defenses know that one guy is your bread and butter, it’s easier to keep contained. Maybe that’s why Gase said after the 2016 season, opposing defenses played us in base a lot of times even with 3 WR and a TE. They didn’t fear the personnel out there to consistently make them pay for that. Even though RT’s YPA went up dramatically we still weren’t a dangerous offense. I think Gase wants teams in nickel to attack them with the running game and TE.

• Jahndoh30 says:

Gotcha. Hows the TE marketplace? If we don’t re-sign Landry and go with your plan, we’ll likely have to get players from both the draft and FA to implement it.

The draft would be my plan. My plan is what I think Gase wants. He’s said it and showed it. If you play us in base we can line up Drake as a receiver on a LB. If we have a good, big TE you’re playing mano-a-mano there. But if we can get them in nickel, the big TE becomes the mismatch. That’s why we traded for Thomas though it didn’t go the way it was planned. Gase said anytime there in nickel expect a lot of balls going to Thomas. Again didn’t go as planned anywhere near enough. Gase doesn’t seem to have many mismatch options and I think that’s bothering the shit out of him.

None of this matters if we don’t get better on the OL. 🙂

17. Jahndoh30 says:

Check out the non “reply” reply Randy! Haha!

I don’t agree with your second sentence. There’s simply no way to know why teams didn’t offer a FA what a couple of teams did. In many cases it’s because they already feel they have a position buttoned down, not because they feel that player is worth less then what the market pays for them.

Mike Wallace, great example: What’s his VALUE? You find that out AFTER the contract is signed. His MARKET VALUE (which is just one small piece of how you measure a player, and it’s only relevant in their FA year) is determined by his play BEFORE he signs a contract. Was his Market value off when we signed him? I don’t believe so. I believe there were no fewer then 8 teams that had him out for visits, his market value was determined in the marketplace, which is the purest version of how a capitalistic economy works.

Was his overall value to the dolphins worth what they paid him? No I don’t believe so. My point is, I don’t think the Fins overpaid for him, I think he underperformed his paycheck. I believe the number on that paycheck is what it is…wholly determined by the free market during his free agency season/offseason.

I know that sounds confusing, but I’m struggling with making it sound more logical instead of twisted reasoning from a mind full of malted hops and bong resin.

Jahn,
    Seriously. No! Lol.
    ***
    I was responding to everyone.

To answer Jahn’s question of what do you do with the money you don’t spend on Landry, you sign someone like Marqise Lee or Paul Lee for half as much. Are they as good as Landry? Numbers say no, but is Landry twice as good as they are?

Ken,
    Ok, so it really only takes 2 teams to bid against each other and push a contract up, so possibly 30 teams may not take part. Lol

Here’s another thought…maybe others on the team would be better if Landry wasn’t there, if the QB had to throw the ball elsewhere.

I’m in favor of that and mentioned it before. I’d rather spread it around more utilizing the RBs both rush and pass. I’ll take 0-3 on the ground as many times as we’ll throw a screen like that and we do it often. I also think with Drake and say a Williams or another back as receivers, we will pick up as many chunk yards as Landry. Add an upgrade at TE to this and what are we losing with Landry, the occasional sensational catch or physical display?

Would Landry be very good along with all of this? Yes of course! But we don’t need him at the amount of money he’s seeking. That’s been my view the entire time if the offense is headed in another direction and it appears it is. I don’t think Gase wants the offense going through him and neither would I. That’s been part of the problem. Not his fault, he is who he is and QBs have confidence in him. But his yards and points don’t make a big impact. 63 YPG and a TD every 3rd game. That’s what you’re looking at as far as production and it does matter.

Jahn,
    I’m differentiating between the value of a contract and the value of a player as a player. I get how you’re describing it, but i’m saying his market value is different from his on field value. It’s not about worth. Most high end FAs end up not being worth their contracts because they were overpaid to begin with. That is why I have said multiple times that you only do it for guys you feel are truly elite guys because that’s how you maximize their worth on a huge contract that they are probably not gonna justify anyway.
    ***
    You can say Wallace under performed his contract or you can say he was overvalued to begin with, can’t ya?

PIT knew the answer to both. I admit I fell for it, though I did have some reservations about why he made the impact he did with them as opposed to how he’d fit in with us. You pay a guy like that and he has to get the targets.

23. Like I said before. The market for Landry isn’t determined by what teams with a huge amount of cap space would be willing to pay Landry. Well, it is and it isn’t. What I mean is just because you have teams with a lot of cap willing to pay him what he’s looking for it doesn’t necessarily mean that is what he is actually worth.

Look, again, at the teams that don’t have the huge cap who need just that one guy, maybe two, on offense to put them over the top to make an offer. If they make the offer then it’s something but when you look at a team like Cleveland who just took over Osweiler’s contract to get him off the Texans books teams with a lot of cap will THROW money at a guy without regard for how they are spending it.

I’m not expecting any teams with tighter cap to make an offer to Landry, at least not in the range he’s looking at.

Ken,
    Yes, that’s true. I get what you guys are saying. I’m just arguing that it shouldn’t dictate whether or not you want to participate in that process. It’s okay for a team to decide that the market is nuts, take their ball and go home. Lol

25. ElephantRider says:

Phins have a few WR in house that can prob take over. Morgan is a slot guy and blue collar. Ford hopefully comes back healthy and competes as well. Had high hopes for him……
    Then you have Scott that they kept tinkering with bringing up on game day.

What this offense needs beside OL is a true #1 WR and a TE. I don’t know if losing Landry really cripples anything. I look at other slot guys and they are all almost identical anyway…..

I’m thinking he’s gonna be gone so I’m making myself feel ok about it. 🙂

Not busting balls here (OK, a little bit) – You think a TE replaces Landry’s production. So we haven’t had a freaking TE here in a decade or more, but now you have faith that we will magically find one for next season, and he’s just going to take off in his rookie season, and replace Landry? 🙂

We have to target the TE position. We need a good, young TE. I said a combo of RBs and TEs to get the yards he gets without one guy always racking up the catches, not just some amazing TE. Nothing magical. 🙂

I think allowing Jarvis to walk would be a PR nightmare.

Absolutely

• Well, I would never give them the benefit of the doubt they could pull it off unless they were lucky, but if they found a guy who made the fans forget about Landry people would forget about him real fast.

• Put it this way. It doesn’t even have to be another wr. They could get help on the o-line that makes them better at pass protection and run blocking and now they’re running the ball better. they can change their offense and start using two tight ends more during games; especially as pass catchers.

And if the offense is moving the ball better and they’re scoring more points and winning more games people will say “Landry who?” Fans care about one thing and one thing only. Winning games.

Landry gets his money somewhere else, good for him. I, for one, don’t believe this team lives or dies because of whether or not Landry is a Dolphin. If people want to make it a loyalty thing, well then, that’s up to them.

It would be until we start winning. But we were 8-8, 6-10, 10-6 and 6-10 with him. Players make teams better. Maybe losing other players had more of an impact? If you look at it from a science perspective you see it one way, if you look at it from an emotional perspective you see it another. Then there is somewhere in the middle like everything else. LOL

This is how i see it. All players have a number and its a rating set by a team as compare to the traits they look for for their system. So lets say they have Wallace as an 89, then thats your starting point for setting a value. 89 equates to some base value set by the players ability and the teams desire to have that player. The market then sets the current value.

Lets say this is a down market for WR because there are several 89+ rated WR’s available. Lets also say the top WR last year, with an equivalent rating for WR got 10mil per year. So right now its possible that even though they are the same rating, the 10mil from last year is only 9mil per this year, because the law of supply and demand dictates there are other options in play that could sign for less, making it a competitive market. A lot still depends on if he is the first person to sign, or if he wasn’t, how much in excess of 9 a person of similar rating got before he agreed to a contract, or did they even get 9mil.

All these factors gives you 13mil for Landry as your market value, for instance. Also, you can bet that the 14.5 that his agent believe he can get comes from analyzing the market this way, so he isn’t just plucking a big number and throwing it out there, he knows what the market value is, and he is testing the high range of it. The Dolphins also know the market and are testing the low end of it. This is how the shit is done. If either feels they can leverage the other closer to their number they do it, like releasing information to make the Fo look like dicks, or overflowing the Landry and Gase not getting along thing. This is all just posturing for the sake of negotiation leverage.

I can promise you that right now, with factors as is, the range for Landry is probably 11-15mil, that’s why both sides are playing around with numbers in between. What that number ends up being, to whatever team retains him is also going to factor in shit like Robinson getting the FT, or some WR’s getting cut, or retiring, etc. as all of that will shift the supply and demand principles. I will say though, we are the only ones that can get in right now when everything is fairly predictable, so not taking advantage of that and making some strides in negotiation is working against us.

That’s the variable part that the player risks going into FA, as it may look one way but a few moves by other teams you might not expect shift it on you. It could shift it in your favor even, but the end all is, the market value modifies the inherent talent rating value which remains relatively static, or at least is only affected by player level actions (off field shit, a really big jump in their performance, etc)

Incidentally i think 13 with a larger amount of guarantees will seal the deal, i think the risk of losing out on something that lucrative would keep him from hitting FA. I also dont think its maybe a slight reach towards his side more for us than him to ours, but i dont think its so much that not being willing to do that should make us lose a player who has been the lone bright spot on this team offensively.

• that all makes sense but let’s say there’s not a single team out there who’s willing to come close to what Landry wants then those numbers you’re talking about don’t mean diddly because the agent could be looking at him with that rating you’re talking about but there might not be a GM in the league who assigns that rating or value to him.

You’re correct about the law of supply and demand, in that the more FA’s there are out there it could work against a player to a certain extent. It also depends on what team already have in house and whether or not they believe Landry is an upgrade to any of those players.

Even players who don’t play the same position could have an impact because teams have needs and if they believe their needs to be at different positions to wr’s then the wr FA market could be dried up before it even starts. Maybe there’s not a huge demand for FA wr’s this yr.

And then there’s the draft. If a GM looks at what Landry brings to the table and thinks he can land a wr in the draft with a similar skill set who can give the team the production they’re looking for without having to pay that huge salary that GM could opt to go in that direction.

A lot of variables out there. And you never know. The Phins brass could be looking at it any number of ways whether it be they feel they can sign a better guy in free agency or spend less on a guy in free agency or possibly draft a guy or maybe they feel someone like Ford or Morgan can replace him.

I hope they find a way to keep Landry, but I think very few players are irreplaceable. I just hope they don’t throw a ton of money at him. What the “right” number is, I have no idea. I also don’t really give that big a damn. Lol

That’s where I am. LOL

If people here don’t know by now that I like a good debate and will use data to make a point, alrighty then!!! It’s from a GM perspective looking at the roster. I’m a roster guy, I focus on that more than anything. That’s your team. But all of it matters – vets, youth development, IR and change. I know we will try to win this year even as we build for the longer term, like a 2-3 year run. The team is still set up to compete now but there is definitely a transition still going on. We’re a long way from knowing the 53.

Last year the theme from the front office as they pounded the table was “we take care of our own, we want to build through the draft and with OUR guys”.
    Now they say “oh well we can’t keep them all”.
    It’s this type of inconsistency that has us where we are, letting the best player we’ve drafted since JT walk out the door. It’s ridiculous.

It’s because Hickey drafted him. Be glad we had someone who recognized his talent.

I know, i was really blindsided by the pick. I mean i knew Landry and what he did at LSU, but i honestly didn’t see that pick coming and i was wrong, that has easily been one of the best spotting of talent and intangibles we have had in probably a good 5 years before then. Jones pick that Grier was involved with apparently, was the one before that.

Thats my point Lou, Landry is hitting a weak FA market, followed by a weak draft class for WR. He has the benefit of what looks right now like a very favorable market for him. I think its very likely he gets his 14.5, but i think there is a good chance we can get him at 13 if we dont try to wait him out. 13mil in the hand is a lot better than getting to FA and finding out some of the things you mentioned just happened and now he has lost leverage and cant even get his 13 now.

Also i dont think they have any belief that Ford or Morgan can replace him, since neither have taken the field. Thats too much unknown to make that decision. It is true, they are using this time to evaluate their options. Tannebaum in all his dancing around answers did say that, and what he means if they see an FA they feel good about that will leverage their decision some, maybe it makes them top out at a 12mil offer, etc.

There are tons of variables left, like you said, so again, that’s why im saying the Phins if serious about keeping him therefore in a negotiating posture, and not just a “well we will keep him if the money is at our asking price”, then right now is the best time to work things out, because its not looking like his leverage is going to decrease, its looking a lot like its going to increase.

If we pay Landry $15M/year, can we fine him $1M for every dumbass 15 yard penalty he gets?

Yes, if its in the team handbook then they can levy the fine against you. Also they can put bonuses in there that relate to conduct.

Teams are funny things. Not always a lot of room for individuals and talent can’t overcome that. If it is true that Landry doesn’t study film, or doesn’t run the right routes, doesn’t take instruction, etc., he can make the team worse despite his talent. We know that he cannot control his emotions because we’ve seen it repeatedly. We don’t know how much of the other stuff is legitimate and how much is negotiation. If it is legitimate, let him test the market. I see Landry as still being immature. He has gotten by on natural talent so far, but that won’t last. At some point he has to gather and apply knowledge.

Landry wasnt targeted with the study the handbook thing that i know of. I would agree with you if that were true though, because i completely agree that sent Ajayi packing and caused his drop off in production. The emotional part, thats a fine line, you want a player to play with fire, but they need to control it so id push him somehow to clean that up but i wouldnt try to shut it down completely.

35. Just read a post on Twitter from Chad Forbes of NFL Draft Bites that the offensive lineman Tannenbaum is interested in signing in free agency is Jack Mewhort.

Any thoughts?

I liked him coming out of Ohio St

I was interested in him too. He’s a free agent already? 3 YR contract?

He has been kind of a disappointment i think, he definitely wasn’t as good as i thought he would be. Like you said i thought well of him leading up to the draft. Ill just say it wouldn’t be an FA pickup i was excited about and i think our depth would be better at the very least so its might be a minor improvement but it would be an improvement.

I remember his name from the draft some time ago (it doesn’t seem long ago) that’s all I remember

D,
    I was just kidding! Lol
    ***
    But, I would put some clauses into his contract about that.

Are you going to give him bonuses for first downs too?
      In a world of salary caps it’s pribably a bad idea to get overly carried away with incentives and penalties in a contract – you need to have some level of predictability in what % of the cap he is taking

It’s not like the league hasn’t been fining him

Randy says:
    January 25, 2018 at 7:41 pm (Edit)

*****
    I’m sure no one, except a few players are irreplaceable, but the issue is not that – it’s why are you trying to replace your best part

mf13ss says:
    January 25, 2018 at 7:38 pm (Edit)
    I think allowing Jarvis to walk would be a PR nightmare.

****

Over the years I’ve had a few problems with decisions made. I’ve also supported tough decisions. And had a few arguments

But this – drafting Landry and letting him walk

Well this might be a breaking point for me

I know it. I mean Jacksonville is quick drive for me, Blake’s from my town, Coughlin and of course- Telvin

So don’t screw it up TanneGase

If Tannenbaum was going to make me a Giants fans I wish he would have done it before they won their last super bowl

pheloniusphish says:
    January 25, 2018 at 7:18 pm (Edit)

****
    This is like ordering steak and broccoli and throwing out the steak in hopes of making the broccoli taste better

40. D,
    I agree that Landry would jump at a lower number that was close because if he waits for free agency to hit I don’t think he’s going to find a lot of takers for what he’s looking for.

Then, he loses his leverage with the team and now it’s between taking a lower amount from Miami or taking a somewhat higher amount from another team that may not be as desirable.

Piggy,
    You wanna keep Landry. I get it, and I do agree with trying to keep your best players. I just don’t agree with signing them all to top end contracts every time this situation comes up. I believe it’s okay for a team to make a different choice. That’s all.

It won’t be every time

I know I sound like a teenager with the shakes for Daddy’s credit card – but this is our best player

Or at least one of them

If the FO put themselves to n a spot where he is expendable it was poor management that lead them here. Teams can afford to keep their best players and the successful ones do.

Mewhort would be a possibly starter at guard…and maybe a long shot starter at tackle. But, his versatility could make him a good swing guy. He’s got some nasty to him, so maybe tannenbaum is looking to bring some of that to our OL too. I’d need to look into his injury stuff though.

I see the several hurdles in the way of us paying Jarvis…

1) Justification of paying a slot WR BIG $$$
    2) Our cap situation, with two players making ‘QB money’
    3) Riffs with Adam Gase
    4) Maturity on and off the field

I want Jarvis back as badly as anyone, but #3 above is going to be the biggest problem, IMO.

We’re also not talking about Beckham type numbers though his baggage is worse. Giants have the same issue but worse. More of a rogue WR but super talented, explosive and way more expensive.

Everyone is still hungover from the anything that can go wrong will go wrong season.

The Times They Are A-Changin’! 🙂

46. I think some are just too emotionally attached to Landry. We finished 6-10 this season. Yeah, we made the playoffs last yr but what was our record the two years prior.

And, yes, it’s a team game and it’s not the fault of one guy, Landry that we didn’t win more games but, at the same time, that one piece of the puzzle didn’t make enough of a difference to help us make the playoffs this year. Just remember, at one point we were 4-3.

If Landry were that much of a difference maker maybe he would have been able to help us get more than just two wins over the remaining 9 games.

Sorry, but if you want to say things like “it’s like ordering steak and broccoli and throwing out the steak to make the broccoli taste better” but you can also look at it as how good is the best player on an offense that isn’t very good?

so let the best players go and keep the bad ones?

That makes no sense!

Who are the bad ones?

Anyone that’s not producing

Bad is probably too strong

Keep the “lesser” players

• I can honestly see the offense get better if he’s no longer on the team and the reason for that is it forces the qb to now find someone else because he’s no longer there.

The stats don’t lie. The more catches Landry had in a game the more games we LOST. We didn’t win more games because he was making a ton of catches. Defenses wanted us to throw to him.

I’m not saying he sucks but I am saying his stats are what they are because he was over-utilized.

Penny looks like shit as a receiver!

Here we go, blame the QB that helped Landry reach these lofty goals on many of his catches. Look at what he’s done, look at who throws to him, but look at what he does. Come on peeps! LOL

Courtney Cronin

Verified account

@CourtneyRCronin
    54m54 minutes ago
    Updated: a league source tells @mortreport Saints assistant head coach/tight ends Dan Campbell, who spent the last two seasons coaching under another Bill Parcells disciple, will interview for the Vikings OC opening early next week
    ———-
    Good for Coach!

He fits what Zimmer wants to do. Wish him well. I have family and friends who are Vikes fans and rooted for them. They have a very good roster but need a couple of pieces.

Wow that’s really stepping up good for him

Cut Pouncey, take a 2M cap hit, save 7M

Sign Landry

Then draft Price or Ragnow

I doubt we cut Pouncey, but only because Gase LOVES him some Pouncey… as does the entire coaching staff and seemingly the whole FO.

But in the event we would cut Pouncey, better come away with either Billy Price or Frank Ragnow in the Draft to replace him.

If we cut Pouncey we probably are spending a 2nd or a 3rd onnhis replacement

Honestly if you cut players to make room for Landry, that probably won’t happen in January

Ken says:
    January 25, 2018 at 8:51 pm
    Then draft Price or Ragnow
    ————-
    BEER for YOU, Ken!

52. I just look at it from the point of view that if you’ve got a guy in the slot that you’re targeting that much on short passes during a game there’s a lot of wr’s who can duplicate those numbers. Thing is, would you want to.

There was a major flaw in the design of the Dolphins offense.

Oh sure! Now we wanna cut the OL that helped the QB that helped the WR get his stats! Typical! Lol

I hope we keep Landry. I also keep hearing you guys talk about the way to a great team is building thru the draft. Unfortunately we don’t seem to be all that great at drafting good players. One keeper every few years isn’t going to do it.

• I agree. This team, no matter who’s buying the groceries, sucks at building thru the draft and in free agent signings. And that’s a major part of the problem. We have never built a team. We keep signing way too many free agents who won’t be here again next year and you get no consistency.

Guys need to play together to get consistency in a group. You have a group of young LB’s who are playing together they start to get more consistent. But you keep changing the LB unit every year by replacing some old vets with some other old vets then everyone needs to learn what the other guy is going to do all over again.

Communication. It’s not going to happen when you keep changing the pieces.

Lou

Spreading the ball around is obviously a better offense

But that stat is going to bring you to a false conclusion. The fact that no one else was producing is probably the reason we lost those games – not the one guy who is producing

I’m just not buying the theory that other people failing at their jobs is the fault of the only guy doing his job

You don’t lose the ability to spread the ball the around by keeping Landry but you certainly lose his production when he’s not here

• and i’m not buying the theory that others weren’t producing or it was their fault they weren’t producing. Stills runs deeper routes than Landry. Deeper routes are lower percentage passes and if Stills is the only guy who can do that for us and a defense knows it how easy is it for the D to take it away from us and make us throw it to Landry.

Problem is when we throw it to Landry he doesn’t make a defense pay.

It’s not a theory – it’s a fact
        Landry was producing
        Our offense wasn’t

I actually thought Stills played well – But you don’t need 3 Kenny Stills. Different guys do different things

Drake played well too

After those 3 …

These are opinions about 3 players on offense I think played well but It’s not a theory that Landry was good last year – he was good by any reasonable evaluation.

Suggesting that it’s keeping other players back is hypothetical and frankly I think it’s far fetched

Am I suppose to believe that but for Landry we could have designed plays to target other players – what about Landry stops that from happening.

You know what…if it was important to spread the ball around, design an offense that way no matter who the personnel is.

56. I would honestly cut Timmons, Thomas and Wake. We could sign James to a longer term deal at a lesser price than his 5th yr option to lessen the cap hit and defer some of it if we wish to lessen it even more

You want to cut Wake too?!?!?!?

Lou – you have to stop consulting with Satan. It’s bad for you

• You need to stop being so emotionally attached to these players. We get ZERO pressure on opposing qb’s. We’ve got to get younger at the DE position. We’ve got Harris at one end but we need to get younger on the other side too.

and Fede or Malveaux aren’t the answer

I hope you see I’m being facetious

Wake is at the end of his career, so I get it

That said, you set a precedent of being good to your guys when you discard them like that.

Being good to your guys is franchise culture.

Don’t undermine the value of emotions, players gravitate to it as do fans – it’s a driving force for success

Also when talking about centers

What about the LSU center, Clapp

Any thoughts

We can tell people we picked up the Clapp during the draft

Ken,
    I don’t much like Pouncey, so he can be replaced. Lol

Allen to Giseki?

This is a nice take on Samuels

He’s a prospect that could ease the pain with the loss of Landry. LOL

He can lineup anywhere and be productive, he did it in college. He’s a hybrid like Landry – a Swiss army knife. Drake to me is the key to keep being what we saw when given the opportunity. I would re-sign Williams and draft a guy like Samuels along with a big TE who can catch and run.

Gase is restructuring his staff and Mr. T and Grier are focused on the value of those on the team setting their roster up the best they can heading into the draft. They want to take the BPAs. They don’t want to view it as must haves, or at least as few as possible. I prefer that approach. You get better in time doing that.

I don’t want Allen. As much as I hate it, I must agree with Lou. I think he is Tannehill (who I like) light. Has the look, but not as accurate. Remember RT’s first year? Threw everything flat and had no touch? I would rather have Mayfield if they go QB. Fortunately, I think some team will fall in love with Allen’s possibilities before he gets to Miami.

Unlike what people say about Allen, this guy purportedly is very accurate

Any thoughts

Didn’t Gase also pick all the guys he just got done firing? I have no faith in his ability to hire good coaches until he proves it. Who’s to say these new guys are any better and nothing more than just new. New doesn’t mean better.

First time HC is always the toughest staff to put together. If you’re a vet coach who’s had some success, of course you have more options. He’s now changing some things up, what’s the big deal? Happens all the time.

Did I say we’d be better? I said different direction and I get the approach. None of us know the outcome.

You know the type of offense I like. Why would I pay Landry big money? It doesn’t fit my philosophy. 🙂

When analyzing college QBs it is not the stats that matter but it is the projection of their skill set at the next level that matters. Allen’s physical skills are off the charts in terms of how he projects at the next level. I think the accuracy issues are somewhat over blown. I am not saying we should draft him. I like Tannehill and think we are fine going forward with him. However, I would understand if the team wanted to go all in for Allen

• New Age says:

I think this mindset is why so many college QBs fail in the NFL. Projecting something you’ve never seen sounds really stupid when you think about it. Production should be the primary factor. Who has this guy played, what have they done, how have they adapted and lead? Lots of strong armed failures that have littered the NFL landscape for decades. Allen is a guy who has never been accurate. Accuracy is the primary skill of the modern passing QB.

I personally don’t feel comfortable just asking Gase to ‘fix this guy up.’ Outside of being a QB coach, and the coordinator for one of the smartest field generals ever, what has Gase truly accomplished on the whisperer area? The primary thing I see almost every every year is that a good running game helps all young QBs, That and draft projections mean jack squat…HI Deshaun Watson!!!

It’s usually the opposite. Many QBs fail in the NFL because they were selected based on production instead of projection. Johnny Manziel comes to mind. He had no business being a first round pick. Your example of Watson is also not valid. He was considered a first round talent and was drafted 12 overall

67. ElephantRider says:

Landry wins dodgeball for the AFC. How do you not sign him now?!

Stats don’t lie, but people using them usually do.

69. Cam Wake is at the end of his career. I understand if he feels he can still play at 35 but pro football is a young man’s game. It’s one thing to be a 41 yr old qb who is required to physically do much more than throw a football accurately and it’s completely something else to play a physically demanding position like defensive end.

70. yeah, it looks like Mewhort has had two surgeries on his knee in this past year and I’d say we should stay clear of that. another guy who we would sign and he’d end up on IR for the entire year.

Mike E. – I think his footwork is bad and that is why he is inaccurate. He also relies on arm strength over all else. Very little touch or arc on the ball. All of that can be fixed if he is teachable. With all that said, his stats are remarkably similar to Dan Marino’s college stats, except for Number of starts, so what do I know?

Sounds like Landry is working hard at the Pro Bowl.
    —————–
    Landry’s impressive showing in the spirited dodgeball event, the grand finale, sent the victorious AFC squad into a celebratory frenzy.

Landry, the last remaining AFC player in dodgeball, secured the victory by emerging from a 2-on-1 showdown against Carolina kicker Graham Gano and Green Bay defensive end Mike Daniels, the last remaining NFC representatives.

Landry eliminated Daniels by hitting him with a thrown ball. So it was Landry vs. Gano, and Landry by won by relying on (what else?) his hands.

After a few misfires by both men, Landry boldly dropped the final ball in his hand, knowing if he caught a ball thrown by Gano the kicker would be eliminated and the AFC would win the whole thing.

Left out the movie finish

“Gano, who held two balls, went low with his first ball as a distraction and then quickly afterward threw the other ball. Landry sidestepped the low throw and then easily secured the thrown ball to deliver the 4-3 victory.”

I have seen some bad injuries happen during dodgeball events. Its funny they restrict what activities they can do that might be risking their health, and levy fines against them for those actions, during the football season, but the NFL sponsors an even that could lead to an injury away from football? Little bit of a double standard.

Get your point on the NFL, but what kind of injuries in dodgeball? Did a lot of it at one point in my life when was a camp counselor. Worst I saw was crying after getting hit in the face. Seems a lot more risk in say basketball.

Concussion, sprained ankles, torn ACL.

Im talking adult dodge ball, kids cant throw very hard but men in their twenties who are in pretty good shape sure can.

We played in college in intramural leagues, along with disc golf, and kickball, ive even play cricket a time or two.

Was thinking the ACL would be an answer, and a risk any time you are on your feet and cutting. Same goes for ankles. But what are you going to do? Could only see concussion from hitting the ground though no matter how hard the throw (and even if mainly kids we had relative adults on both sides too). Got popped in the face hard from close range many a time.

And cricket is cool. Never played but have watched some.

January 25, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Are you going to give him bonuses for first downs too?

It’s not like the league hasn’t been fining him
    ———————————————
    Contracts dont have penalties, they just have incentives, so that takes care of those issues. The fines are handled through team handbook where they outline the team rule and fines. Its pretty much the same deal as a person who isn’t keeping their weight in check and they have workout bonuses and penalties for being overweight. His would just be conduct related and incentives would be built in to reward good behavior (or lack of bad). These bonuses are usually so insignificant towards the overall salary that they make very minor difference in the cap equation.

A team fine though lets him know that he is affecting the team and the team is issuing him notice to get the shit under control. I mean technically they can suspend if its in the handbook as a violation that merits that kind of action, which thats loss of a full game’s pay. Thats what we did to Timmons for going AWOL.

My feeling on Mike White is he is exactly what ya want for a backup. He is smart, he makes accurate throws, etc. He wont lose you a game but he isn’t winning you one either. I dont see upgrade from Mike White over Tanny, but i definitely see upgrade over Tanny in Allen, albeit a more long term plan. I get Allen isnt a finished product, he is still raw, but IMO, there a gem in dem der hills….Wyoming…isnt that how yall say it? lol

Baker Mayfield is a conundrum, on one hand there are things about him i really like and then there are several things i dont. He also is definitely at a disadvantage with his size. It can be Brees like without him ever being able to be Brees, in fact his play-style is more Johnny football than Drew Brees so if ya wanna draw comparisons, that’s a much more likely outcome than Brees. Its also a better comparison to where they are at coming out of college, Mayfield’s college tape looks similar to Manziel, not Brees’ Purdue tape. I wont take away Mayfield’s chance to become Brees, but i do think there is going to be “a whole lot of tryin, just to get up that hill.”

As far as the cap and creating space, and the suggestion that the desire to keep Landry is fan love, id say im not a real fan of Landry per say, i like him about as much as any other player on our team, i just feel he is an important piece and i dont want to lose him because of that. So i really do not feel im blindly wanting to keep him i feel i have solid reasons behind why i feel like he needs to stay.

Cutting Pouncey i think is a bad idea, at least this year. I could see us parting ways with him next year, and i think its likely he will take care of that himself next year when he will likely retire. We need him to transition to a new guy, and the best way would to be have him for this year while a guy like Ragnow, or Clapp, or Wynn, or Price, has a chance to get some play time at OG first. They get use to the speed of the game at a position that has an easier responsibility when it comes to blocking. They get some second team reps at OC, and maybe some first team reps at OC during the PS. They get ready top take over and in case of injury they get an accelerated introduction to the starting OC spot, and if not, next year they can make a decision on Pouncey with a lot less of a disturbance to the OL unit. Again, this isnt a fan reaction type decision, this is a logistical decision.

Wake probably should be asked to restructure (not a pay cut), again, its good for him and its good for us, so there is no reason we shouldn’t do it and no reason he shouldn’t accept. Guarantees as an older player are much better than a bigger yearly salary. I dont think he is done, i dont think he is in a steep decline, so no reason not to keep him around, adjust his workload to help him out and have him there to mentor the new kids.

Tanny for sure needs a restructure, again, not a pay-cut, just moving money around to create cap space. He gets more guarantees, an we get space to make some moves we want to this off-season.

Looks like O’Danny boy is getting a shot to be the OC of the Vikes.

Feel bad for the guy, he was a pretty good OC.
    “Bills C Eric Wood has a career-ending neck injury.”

‘Pay that man his money!’

Rounders right?

Stanger, you can get a concussion anytime your head whips from one direction to another abruptly, the force of the impact really has nothing to do with it other than maybe how abruptly it changes motion. I saw a dude knocked cold from the ball hitting him in the face. It might have been a fluky kind of situation but its just one of those things that would make me think twice about allowing or promoting these highly paid athletes to enter into when there is a risk of injury that could be career affecting.

Knocked out cold from dodgeball has to be a flukey thing. Other than on TV, never saw anyone knocked out cold in my life. Still gonna stick with more concern in basketball than dodgeball though. And never seen either excluded from a contract, but have seen riding motorcycles and skiing (where has to be knees they are mainly worried about).

I was getting sushi at lunch one day when outside in the street I saw a dude knock another dude out cold in the street. He knocked him down and did one of those MMA multiple punches while he was on the ground. What was really fucked up is cars continued to drive around him. I kind of lost my appetite but got it back once I got back to the office. Hate seeing shit like that.

Yes Boulder – Rounders – Love that movie.

Tim – Sushi is a dangerous sport

Mike checking someones eyes this morning. LOL

damn mike I wanna party with you 🙂 you should come out to boulder sometimes.

Dick???? Stanger – That was very hurtful!

I put in a smiley after. A heartfelt one. Did you know the movie was about poker?

I had never heard of it, but I surmised it was about poker since we were talking about Rounders

And if you want to get your wife to go….it is well-reviewed and written and directed by Aaron Sorkin (A Few Good Men, American President, West Wing, Moneyball, The Social Network)

Tim — not quite the same, but I was in Puerto Rico and a guy died (word was it was a heart attack). They threw a sheet over him while they waited for the responders to come……and then everyone started dancing again. There he was in the corner while folks were on the floor hitting it. Was sorta surreal.

Stanger – Sounds good – We’ll probably wait till it goes to the pay channels. We don’t go to the movies very often.

Same with us….takes a special one. I go to the big blockbusters more often cause Chef Warren likes those and the IMAX is just down the street. And I had the title wrong….it is Molly’s Game, which does make more sense.

Ah, now that you mention it, it sounds familiar. Idris Elba is in it, he’s good

Idris Elba would have been a great Green Lantern, like the John Stewart Green Lantern. The way they tried to do Green Lantern with Ryan Reynolds was just dumb.

January 26, 2018 at 12:38 pm

————————————————-
    He mentally cropped it out so he could be mad at you.

I knocked a dude out in football practice once. I thought i had killed him or paralyzed him it was fucking terrifying. Thats why when i see those really brutal hits on the TV part of me gets a little sick and i cant at all understand them getting up and celebrating over them because i didnt feel there was anything to celebrate when i did that. I broke a guys leg too, in a game, heard it snap, made me wanna puke and i went after the game to seek him out and apologize for it. Football is a dangerous sport but nothing about it says that you should revel in the injury, because next time that shit could be you.

Damn Stanger, now im questioning my life lol, because i have seen several people knocked out cold. I have been practically knocked out cold, i lost vision and hearing temporarily but remained standing upright and i could talk. I dont know that i have ever seen a person knocked out from a punch though, other than on a youtube video or something like that.

I got knocked out when I was probably about 10 years old. I had this big hutch, and it had a desk that came down on chains, and that desk piece was pretty heavy. One day I was kneeling underneath it, and it opened accidentally, clocked me right on the top of my head. I remember seeing a flash, like lightning, and then I woke up later on, no idea how long I was out.

Damn, that had to have hurt like a MF. Surprised it didn’t open your head up or at least give you a bad scalp laceration. Got lucky there Mikey, but it does explain some things.

BTW – If you ever come to a Fest, remind me not to play football with you. lol

LOL. As a parent, its really hard for me letting my boys play football but its also something i really want for them at the same time. I spend a lot of time showing them the right technique because that will protect you from a lot of different injuries, but there is still so much that can go on out there, its kind of scary. On the positive side its a really good man vs man, overcome obstacles, perseverance, teamwork, do your part, teaching tool so its absolutely one of the best things for a kid. Only comfort i really get it knowing i survived it, and so do the majority of people who play it, and that it could happen in any other sport like baseball and soccer, etc.

Totally agree with D’s 11:18 a.m. post about Mayfield. He is a lot more like Manziel than Brees. It doesn’t mean he will turn out to be just like him but that’s the risk

D – Elba was the gatekeeper in Thor, Ragnarok

Yeah i know, i thought he played that role extremely well too, even though it was a bit limited.

I agree, too small a role for him. He’s a very good actor

He has the perfect style for that Green Lantern. It would have been so much better had they gone with him instead of Reynolds. Reynolds is perfect for Deadpool though.

Anyone else here but me and Randy play football extensively in HS?

D — What position did you play?

I’ve been knocked out cold 3 times. One lasted about 30 minutes. The other 2 were only minutes. None of them were during football. I probably had at least another dozen “dingers” in my life and most of those were from sports. I can say I definitely have memory issues, but it’s impossible to pinpoint the cause. I also get really painful headaches that seem to come out of nowhere, but again…who knows why. I also get a shooting pain when I laugh really hard for a long time, and it’s the exact same spot where I hit my head and was out for half an hour. Again, who knows why? And yeah…I had more than most, but tons of guys I grew up with had their bells rung multiple times. Nobody I grew up with who played sports didn’t get their bells rung at some point. Nobody thought twice about it. Unless you couldn’t walk straight or see…you just kept playing. I assume it was like that for most of us. Or am I just senile? Lol

stanger,
    Yep. It was almost a badge of honor or pride thing. If you left practice or a game just because you were dizzy or whatever, you were a pussy. I can remember guys actually slapping other guys on the helmet when they came to the huddle dinged and tell them to suck it up. I’ve watched guys walk off the wrestling mat basically being carried along by their coaches because they couldn’t walk straight, and the kids were back out there minutes later. That happened many times. It’s crazy how it’s changed. Coaches, parents, kids…it’s just how it was.

The play i got “knocked out” was on a kickoff return, i dropped back and the guy with a full head of steam and me hit like wild rams crown of my head to the crown of his. I went completely black and the only sound i heard was a ringing sound and really muffle talking. it was like that for what felt like forever but in reality was just a few seconds and when i came to i was shaking my head to get my vision back and the dude i hit was directly opposite of me doing the same thing lol. We both walked off to the wrong side of the field before we realized we were headed the wrong way and ran back. I went in on offense that very next play and never came out on any snap of that game.

At the time it was like “take a minute” and it goes away. Or maybe it didn’t. Sounds like you, D, me, and a whole bunch of other folks will find out down the road. But what can we do now?

January 26, 2018 at 2:07 pm

D — What position did you play?
    ————————————————-
    Ive played almost all positions on the OL during my time in Middle School and HS, but i spent the most time as a LT. I was very undersized so i had to rely on my technique and strength to compensate for being under 6′ and under 200lbs. I did grade out at about as close to 100% as the coaches would give us. I also had plays where i was the FB.

On defense i moved around but have played DT, DE and ILB. I hardly ever came off the field but i would line up in different spots to get some guys a chance to rotate out. I probably was at DE the most.

Our team were perennial division champs, usually made it fairly dep in the state playoffs, but we have very few players on our team. We may have had 22 players, but only about 12-13 of us were good enough to be starters, so there was very little rotating out for any length of time, and a lot of us never came out of the game period.

D — sounds like you were a real player with all those positions on both sides of the ball. Good for you man. And you played both ways. Looking back man do I wish I’d played football. But then was too small early on…..but who knows at 13 what they will grow into?
      Would have loved to have been a strong safety (or maybe on our undersized team an ILB).

D,
    What do you know about Green Lantern?

D,
    I was asking because that’s my favorite character. Watching Super Friends as a kid, he really stood out to me. Not many talk about him though, so it was odd to see someone bring it up out of the blue.

My favorite

I like him a lot, of the DC characters, he was one of favorites and for some reason i really liked Aquaman a lot. Piggy the Money was the wonder twins side-kick wasn’t it?

Yeah it was kinda random, when i saw Mike talk about Idris Elba it kicked off a thought i had had a while back about him being John Stewart (Green Lantern) and how well i think he would do in that role, so when he got mentioned that random through just popped back inlol.

I have heard a rumor that Andre Holland from “The Knick” is supposedly one of the actors to potentially play him but i like Elba better for the role.

Racer X likes Green Lantern. Iron Man was my favorite, because I liked the origin. That was way before Robert Downey Jr. played him. I had the #1 issue, but of course, I was a kid, and I killed it.

I was also strictly a Marvel guy, I didn’t read DC comics, but did like the Justice League, think I had a few of those, but that was it.

See i dont cross the universes when i talk about favorites, DC and Marvel had such different style superheros that i dont think its even fair to compare them. In fact its gotten so diversified now its hard to compare characters of the same universe and maybe even the same character to a different version of itself like Amazing Spiderman, to Spiderman, to Spectacular Spiderman…. Does he produce the web, does he have mechanical web shooters… Who is his love interest, do they know he is spiderman or do they not, when did they learn about it…. etc etc.

I have always been partial to Hulk from the Marvel Universe, and most iteration of him, Red Green or Grey.

Gleek

(The monkey)

Yes he was with the wonder twins
    Actually Gleek and the twins aren’t real super heroes

Please don’t tell me no super heroes are real – what I mean is they were made up for the cartoon and we’re pretty much shitty

I like Marvel much more than DC too mainly bc of the XMen
    But I did used to read the teen titans as a kid

Beast Boy Forever!

I was into DC a lot as a kid, then got into the X-Men as a teenager. Started getting into other Marvel characters, but still really into GL. Loved watching Thundercats and Voltron too.

Here is a photo of D trying to make contact with Aquaman

I’ve been knocked out three times. The first time was in 4th grade when a girl who was a giant compared to the other kids and had a crush on my best friend tried to cut me in lunch line to be next to him, I said “no cuts” and she cold cocked me. (she was like a foot taller and 30lbs heavier). The second time was at a bar when a guy behind me reached around me and grabbed a girls ass and turned away quickly leaving the girl and her weight lifter boyfriend thinking it was me and before I knew what has happening he knocked me out. My jaw clicked for a month. The third time was last year when I slipped on the roof tiles and slid off my roof and landed on my back and hit my head.

All three times I pissed my pants while I was out. Yes I got knocked out by a girl when I was 8.

Mike you win, i completely forgot about that show and man i loved that show. Best Hanna Barbara cartoon IMO, and that includes their Justice League version.

John Stewart was hands down the best Green Lantern

January 26, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Yeah, i am definitely a Marvel guy too. X-men, Spider-man and Dr. Strange were my favorites.

I used to watch Spider-man every morning at 7:30 before school.

Spider-man, Spider-man. Does whatever a spider can. Spins a web any size, catches crooks just like flies….Look out! Here comes the Spider-man.

Me too man! Me and my friends used to make fun of the fact that he was spraying webs and swinging from the sky, there were no buildings there , he was ABOVE them,, but I loved it anyway.

Rock – What can I say man, you’re a pisser! lol

I liked Space Ghost too

LOL @ him swinging from the air. My friends and made fun of that too. In the video above when he swings in the front doors his web doesn’t stop on the wall / door frame either. He just swings right in.

115. Well, Tannenbaum is going to try and “fix” every position he can in free agency and before the draft so they have a better idea of what they need going into the draft. That doesn’t sound like team building to me and it sounds like more of the quick-fix, stop-gap bullshit they’ve been doing since he’s been here.

Since he joined the team we still need the same positions we’ve needed from day one. He’s failed to fill any of them with players who are anything but stop gaps and at the ends of their careers.

I’d like to think things could be different this year but I’ll need to see it to believe it.

• sb7mvp says:

It’s the modern NFl. We don’t have 16 round drafts anymore.

That’s not what he means. He said they have to do a better job evaluating the roster this offseason because their depth wasn’t quite good enough when they were needed. Then they would like to have a complete team before the draft so they can be open for any position in the draft, which is BPA. That’s the way it should be done. You build a good team by adding the best players, not by reaching for need.

• that’s a problem. he’s more worried about the depth of the team than he is about finding solid starters. he’s signing backups to be starters at positions and our backups are not 2nd string guys but more like 3rd string guys.

that’s why our depth sucks. it’s also why our starters sucked. and by the sound of it, he plans on continuing to go into this with the same ass backwards mentality he’s been using. he’s going to sign a bunch of cheap free agents to fill as many position as possible. those guys will be short-term, stop-gap players who won’t be here long and won’t contribute much while they’re here.

they’ll play like shit but the HC and the brass will tell you in pressers how impressed they’ve been with their play. bullshit

My favorite X-man was Gambit
    One of my other, lesser known favorites as Longshot.

Rock — props to you for sharing that you got knocked out by a girl. I’ve only hit one girl in my life, but figured she deserved it. She was my size and flat out kicked me in the balls. After I recovered popped her in the stomach and put her on the floor. Even told her dad about it after…..even if many years after.

118. ElephantRider says:

It’s true. Team needs better starters…

Lou, how else would you suggest they do it? There are only so many options to acquire players. They’re already building the team through the draft and youth.

• what I’m saying is you fix what you can and be done with it. it doesn’t mean you go out and fill every position with a bunch of shit players just because you think that’s how you do it.

if you can only sign one really good, solid o-lineman in free agency and get him on a long-term contract and then go with what else you’ve got on the team already then so be it. It’s better than signing four shit players who won’t get the job done and won’t be here next season.

I’d rather see them sign one really good, solid guy than 7 guys at the end of their careers. those 7 guys at the end of their careers aren’t going to get us any closer than the guys we’ve already got.

• ElephantRider says:

I agree with that. How many of those FAs have rejuvenated their careers here?

I never got the idea that’s what they’re going to do or even mean. They have a bunch of guys who are FAs even role players like Aikens and Thomas etc. so they might have to find players who can fill those voids whether through FA or from within with younger players already on the team. Sometimes you sign lower tier FAs who are young to be backups and STs and then after the draft and UDFA signings you let them all compete for roster spots.

• Tannenbaum is like the kid who goes to the carnival with his parents and his parents give him money to go on the rides but he spends it on cotton candy, candy apples, popcorn and soda and then has no money for the rides.

He blows every frickin penny.

120. naplesfan2010 says:

Do you guys realize how any words you type on here every day?

121. ElephantRider says:

Not me….I rarely go over 2 lines worth

122. naplesfan2010 says:

haha
    You guys have to remember i’ve gotta read all this ya know.

Naples attempting to read all the words on the blog starting with D’s posts. LOL

124. Some teams use free agency to fill in the back end of their roster. Pittsburgh did it this past season. Some teams will use it to improve one or two roster spots by signing a player or two who are upgrades to what they had at certain positions.

Then there’s Miami and Tannenbaum. He goes out and signs a bunch of cheap free agents who are at the end of their careers to START and ends up blowing a shit load of cap and ends up putting the team in cap hell again and , in the end, accomplishes nothing .

125. naplesfan2010 says:

OK so I’m gonna catch y’all up.

126. naplesfan2010 says:

I got a black eye from a girl in elementary school
    never been knocked up though
    have had 3 concussions
    or 7
    Tannenbaum sucks
    Tannehill sucks
    tanning salons suck
    Landy is good a dodgeball so sign him to a 8-15 mill contract
    green lantern is black
    aquaman is gay
    DC sucks except for JLA
    Spiderman is impossible but thundercats is real
    Lou is still a douche.
    He’s a good man for a douche though.
    I played TE, H-back, slot Wideout and 3rd base, also got concussed a bunch.
    sucked at all but once scored 31 in a game
    NFL.com grades are up so I’m outta here.
    (Saquon is tops.)

Lou,
    It’s not the plan that’s the problem, it’s the execution. You only have so many darts in the draft to begin with so teams are forced to lean on FA more heavily these days. Turnover for teams is high, especially teams like ours that stay mid level.

• the reason we stay at mid-level is because we don’t build for consistency. yes, you only have so many picks in the draft. but think about this. if you solve at least one problem in free agency permanently, and by that I mean signing a solid player for at least 4 yrs, then that’s one less player you will need to draft this year, next year and the year after and it’s one less player you will need to sign in free agency next year and the year after and the year after that.

the problem is they sign guys to short-term contracts knowing full well they probably don’t make it past their first season and then they create another hole to fill the following year. it’s a flawed way of doing things.

you have to fix what you can and move on. I can’t stress that enough. you can’t sign 7 free agents during the offseason and then have to sign 7 free agents to replace them next offseason. you’ll never get anywhere.

• and it would be a different story if we’re signing these free agents as depth but churning the roster doesn’t mean churning your starters. it means you’re trying to get the back end better to improve your depth

Thanks for ruining our Super Hero and nostalgia talk btw.

129. ElephantRider says:

I always watched Silverhawks. Loved that show

I think the defense is pretty much set with the exception of maybe one new impact guy and some depth. I know not everyone agrees but I think we could have a much improved defense next year even as is. Lots of young players who should improve and now with more experience playing together. I think that’s as important as adding talent – chemistry.

The offense needs the most work to me. OL, TE, RB depth, QB depth and maybe some new blood at WR. Lots of coaching changes on that side of the ball so some new ideas as well.

I was never a big fan of the superhero cartoons. Mr Peabody and Sherman, Tennessee Tuxedo, Boris and Natasha, Rocky and Bullwinkle. I’ve fainted once, felt it coming and nothing I could do to stop it. I didn’t get in any fights growing up except with my sister but sadly have been hit by a man…if you can call him that. Never played football but can hold my own in darts and pool against most guys. It’s been a while so if I ever get to a fest I’m going to have to practice some ahead of time!

I liked comics when I was a kid but never cared about the stories lol. I was drawn to the art and illustrations.

I’m gonna come to a fest one day and beat the shit out of the lot of you with my cane while mumbling something about not being too hard on the Beav!

That was my cartoon. “Leave it to Beaver”

If I do get to a Miami fest one of these years, my fear is that OD would put me in a head lock and punch the Ross out of me. LOL

136. well, it’s Friday and I need to change the pickle juice in my jar so I must go

Randy seems like an Eddie Haskell fan to me

Randy had beaver cartoons? Is that like the first form of porn?

I’m just messing with you guys because everyone always thinks i’m an old curmudgeon. Lol. Yes, I got to watch precisely one hour of cartoons when I got home from school…then it was out the door until supper….then back out again. I’m pretty sure my mom felt that a house was not the place for young boys to stay for very long.

The only real cartoon was Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner. And DC comics were always ghey.

My favorite show on weekday afternoons was Dark Shadows. Omg…Barnabus and Angelique. 👻

I watched Flipper and Gilligan’s Island after school. Living in Iowa and never going anywhere, I was enthralled by the Ocean and how blue it was on Flipper. It didn’t look real. I didn’t see an Ocean until I was 20, I think.

herd,
    Did you ever see the movie Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp? I can’t say it was very good, but you may like it if you liked that soap opera.

• herdfan says:

I liked it when I was young. I saw it being replaced on some cable channel a few years ago. It was so campy! It didn’t seem that way back in the day.

Oh and the Monkees

Yep! Meet The Beatles and The Monkees were the first two albums I started listening to when I was 3. My Mom would just keep turning them over the switching them until I was done. LOL

I like how Randy says everyone “thinks” he’s an old curmudgeon like he’s not.

I just read your comments on our defense. I really don’t think they are as bad as some think. But, there are some issues. Wake is another year older, and his big impact on games is getting less. Harris is still a big question mark. He needs to get better. Jury’s still out since he was a rookie, but he was just so-so. Who are our LBers, and just how good are they? Raekwon is still an unknown. We can hope he steps in and produces, but we don’t know what he will be. Kiko is Kiko. He’s nothing special and a liability in coverage. Then who? Nobody has stepped up and really shown they are anything more than backups. Our CBs gave up big plays all year long. There is some talent there, but who knows how it will mature? We look okay at safety, but they are both similar in skill set, and we could use a rangy, deep safety who can organize the back end.
    ***
    I think we could easily spend draft picks on every level of the defense…DE, LB, CB…maybe safety, but I don’t see that as a significant need…more of a want. CB has the potential to be better with some of our young guys, but i’d still try to bring in some better talent. I hope they don’t just stand pat. I think our defense overall has to get a lot better. Too many big plays and letdowns.

It’s purely projection based on more chemistry (lots of new and miscommunication last year), and younger players playing better, that’s the idea right? I’m not saying they will be great, just better. The offense is the key to us being a playoff team. We could have been one this year if they weren’t awful most of the season. We were still in the hunt when we were 6-7 and scoring very little points. If the defense was really bad, we would have been 2-14 or worse. LOL.

I watched Flipper and thought; How lucky can those little dudes be? Living on the Ocean and seemingly never going to school. No mom around to make them shower or brush their teeth, and a damn dolphin that could battle sharks for a pet! Lol

herd,
    I felt the same way about Gilligan’s Island. I made my kids watch it one night about 3 years ago. I had always told them how great a show it was, so I told them they had to watch some reruns with me. My son got up and left the room after about 10 minutes. My daughter sat thru the first one but gave me “the look” that said she wondered about her old man’s sanity, and I had to admit they just weren’t nearly as funny as i’d remembered them to be.

I gotcha. I was just throwing my thoughts out there. I do think we have some decent pieces to work with….and I agree we need them to play as a unit more. One of the things that has helped Minnesota become such a good defense is that almost all of them have been playing together for about 3 years, or so.

Bingo!

We have the young guys on the DL with the Vets. The LBs were two years and mostly first time playing together. The secondary has youth and experience. I think we could be really good there in 2018. I saw lots of flashes but we lacked consistency.

Armando reported that we’re in the market for a 4th DE. They like Malveaux and he could replace Fede but they want someone to compete with him and it sounds like they’d like to draft one over re-signing Hayes unless he’s on the cheap and healthy. Wake, Branch and Harris are the other three. Maybe they could keep 5 along with 4 DTs in Suh, Godchaux, Phillips and Taylor.

We have quite a bit of talent and athletes on defense. They need to come together as a unit.

ER,
    Silverhawks was a good one too

Herd – I grew up on Dark Shadows. Maybe that’s what’s wrong with me.

Simple question, don’t get all crazy on me man. LOL

If we let Landry walk, how would you replace him in scheme and even his replacement as the slot guy?

Reshard Jones set an official Guinness world record at Wide World of Sports for throwing and catching a pass to himself.

Chilly Willy and Woody Brothers!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Billy Price, C/OG, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State (A)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, Southern California (A)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Marquis Haynes, OLB/DE, Ole Miss (A)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Isaiah Prince, OT, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Tre’Quan Smith, WR, Central Florida (A+)

Nobody was a Chilly Willy fan?

I saw a story that said we liked Shaquem Grant what an addition to the leadership and culture of the team.

Nobody was a Chilly Willy fan??

Damn slow ass computer!

Do you remember this one

This one was good too

Randy – Gotta ask the all important question . . .

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Piggy – I loved the Wacky Racers, that was great. I loved anything with cars in it, but that was funny. Dick Dastardly, Muttley, Penelope Pitstop

166. rich0322 says:

son of a son of a shula says:
    January 26, 2018 at 9:17 pm
    __________________________
    Shaquem Griffin…
    Great kid, great motor, versatile on the field( can rush the passer, plays LB, plays some safety), ST ace. Size is a factor though.

Worst case senerio is we have a ST ace.

167. rich0322 says:

My favorite day 3 draftees from this week’s practices at the Senior Bowl.

Kalen Ballage-(RB), Arizona St. North
    Durham Smythe-(TE), Notre Dame. North
    Marquis Haynes (OLB), Ole Miss. South
    Shaquem Griffin (OLB), UCF. South
    Darius Leonard-(ILB), SC St. South
    Trayvon Henderson-(S), Hawaii. North

Mary Ann hands down!

Mike, you know Randy is too old for Ginger or Maryanne. He’s got no choice but to go Luvvy. Lol.

One funny Gilligan’s Island oddity that I noticed as a teenager – the Skipper very rarely holds his arms below his waist, he usually has his elbows cocked like he’s going to do the chicken dance. lol

171. 2 things: If you think you might me underwithheld at the end of the year because of the new tax law that’s going into effect instead of changing your w-4 to have more tax withheld increase your 401k contribution to reduce your federal taxable income each paycheck. If you change your w-4 you are just paying the gov’t more money you’re never going to see anyway so pay yourself first. The increase in 401k contribution pays YOU and will reduce your tax.

2nd: if you aren’t in the first situation and you’re going to be receiving a little more in your paychecks now, take this time to increase your 401k contribution by the % you are saving based on the new tax brackets. For instance, if you were in the 15% bracket last year and you are in the 12% bracket this year, increase your 401k contribution by 3% to take advantage of the tax savings. The net effect won’t even be noticeable in your check.

MikeE,
    I prefer to have both because it would be like having a twist cone. But, if I can have only one, Mary Ann. No doubt.

Re blog is up