The Wedge Scouting Report: Derwin James, FSU

(Wedge says something but you can’t hear him)

(Wedge says something again but all you hear is a muffled voice)

(Wedge again says something inaudible moving his hands frantically in the air)

WedheGas

Fine!  If I take off the gas mask – can you hear me now?  It’s dangerous because I’m working with deadly gas here!  I’m developing new gasses that can cloak an entire lunar valley.  If I get it right the entire valley will be cloaked and everything will have no choice but to breathe in the deadly gas.  And of course they will die…painfully…so I did my job!

If only the Dolphins could cover receivers like that…especially Tight Ends.  Am I right?

Well let me introduce you to a solution Derwin James from Florida State University.

DerwinJames5

The Positives:  Once the combine comes around the positives will be on full display.  Derwin James is an elite athlete.  At 6’3, 211 He has length, size and speed.  James is probably going to leave the combine as one of the more notable prospects.

He’s been an athlete for some time.  He was a five star recruit in high school before Florida State.  Those skills showed up as a freshman.  James joined a talented secondary at FSU in 2015 (you might recall a guy named Jalen Ramsey on the Seminoles defense in 2015) and made an immediate impact.  91 total tackles, 9.5 for a loss, 2 forced fumbles and an impressive 4.5 sacks.

But what really jumps out to me is his versatility.  James isn’t Ramsey.  There won’t be a debate about whether he is a cornerback or safety in this alien’s opinion – he’s undeniably a safety but he’s a real good one.

James can play center field like a traditional free safety.  He moves around the field well covering those wide receivers who are running deep.  He is also a fearless tackler who can play closer to the line of scrimmage,  But he also has the length to play man coverage the way the Dolphins want to play effectively, either on a wide receiver or – and MORE IMPORTANTLY on a big tight end.

DerwinJames2

The Negatives:  From a statistics standpoint his resume has a few holes.  For one, his best year was his freshman year.  Albeit his 2017 numbers are pretty good too:  84 tackles, 5.5 for a loss and 1 sack –  but those numbers aren’t as good as 2015.  What about 2016?   Well that’s the real hole.  He missed a huge part of that season because of injury.

The one thing that jumps our about those stats is that he is not a ball hawk.  3 career interceptions at FSU.  I actually personally don’t doubt that he has it in him but the numbers in college just don’t show it.

Recently it seems like James is dropping a little in terms of draft stock.  That means very little in January.  Guys will rise and fall and in his case, I tend to think he will shoot up draft boards after the combine.

DerwinJames3

The Alien Dust:  I know what you Earthlings are thinking.  What?  A safety?  We have two good ones in Jones and McDonald – what’s the point of adding one at 11?  Well here is the idea – you are playing three safeties – yes three at the same time.  It’s a substitute to a coverage LB type.  You are pretty much playing at least 5 DBs all the time.  With hard hitting safeties playing like linebackers.

For the Dolphins, a big part of James’ job is STOP THE TIGHT END, something that seems to be the achilles heal of this defense.

James may be one of the best athletes in the draft.  Taking a player like that at 11 might be a difference maker on defense.  Of course this little alien floated a similar theory last offseason when I suggested drafting Jabril Peppers.  So if you didn’t like that idea – you won’t like this one either.

DewrinJames4

I think about Derwin James cloaking over Rob Gronkowski and I think – we are going to suffocate the Patriots.  Kind of like this gas I am making will suffocate some life form I am about to obliterate.

That’s why if I am comparing James to an Alien Weapon of Destruction, there is no question – James is a set of Suffocating Crater Gas Bombs.

James GasBombs

You can check out his highlights here

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

794 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: Derwin James, FSU

1. ElephantRider says:

I thought you gave 3 scenarios Tim. Lol

I don’t think we need extra picks just to have them, I think we need a few additions at a few positions in both FA and draft. We can roll with a lot of what we already have. Additions: 2 OL, TE, WR depth, QB depth, RB depth, LB and DB depth.

let’s dump tannehill take the 4.6 hit and sign alex smith

4. naplesfan2010 says:

Blaine Gabbert is an intriguing look for back-up QB.
    Saves us a draft pick and he’s coachable.

5. naplesfan2010 says:

1st round for me must be someone who will change a couple Ls last year to Ws.
    Impact.
    I say this every year.
    a Day One starter
    a long term solution
    a perennial pro bowl candidate
    In this draft that leaves us with the following Best Bets:
    OG Nelson or RB Guice or Edge Okoronkwo or TE Goedert or FS Minkah
    replace Guice w/ Michel or Barkley … Edge w/ Landry or your fave … Goedert w/ Andrews

That is really about the only guys worth a first who meet my criteria above.
    ILB Roquan would be and could be, but I want to see a year with Raekwon first.
    And Roquan is very light for the NFL.
    I think Kiko = Roquan so not a need.

I think if we can find an answer for the TE we have 3 more wins?

I’m not sure if Smith is the answer? But he will cover better than Kiko!

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Roquan Smith, ILB/OLB, Georgia (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Will Clapp, C/OG, LSU (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Braden Smith, OT/OG, Auburn (A)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Josh Sweat, DE, Florida State (A)
    Round 4 Pick 32: Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin (A)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Kurt Benkert, QB, Virginia (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Tre’Quan Smith, WR, Central Florida (A+)

Rob

Alex Smith – Who only won 1 playoff game, and that was with the great Jim Harbaugh.
    1-5 in the playoffs, and that was with Jim Harbaugh and Andy Reid as his Head Coach.

Dane Brugler

Verified account

@dpbrugler
    51s51 seconds ago
    Bummer a minor injury during training is keeping WMU OT Chukwuma Okorafor out of the SR Bowl. The rare 20-yr old SR, he has 1st round traits, but is so young in football years. A lot of varied opinions in NFL circles.

I WANT to see Jacksonville absolutely DESTROY NEW ENGLAND TODAY!! I want a Jags pass rusher to body slam Tom-girl head first into the turf and I want Leonard Fournette to run out of bounds with a full head of steam right into “hoody-man” himself, Bill Belicheat, whose head set ends up somewhere in row 20! AH, if only the Jags had THE INCREDIBLE HULK, RIGHT, KEN?
    ————————-
    Now here’s what I really think will happen. I believe the Jags will keep this game close for a while. Sometime in the second quarter an outrageous penalty will be called on Jacksonville which will give the Pats a first and goal inside the 5 yard line. On third and goal, a Jags rusher will be tackled by a Pats O-Linemen, enabling Brady to toss an ally-oop pass to Gronk, who pushes away a defender with one hand while catching the ball with the other hand. The officials FAIL TO CALL EITHER of the two penalties against the Pats and rule the play a touchdown! Jacksonville’s head coach is so enraged that he draws back-to-back unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and is tossed from the game!! The game degenerates to a penalty fest as the announcers state that “an inexperienced Jacksonville team defeated themselves with way too many penalties,” when, in reality, the blame should be placed on the officials AND the NFL for, once again, showing obvious bias in favor of New England. The most shocking development of all would be IF the network commentators actually agreed that the officials cost Jacksonville the game. We all know THAT’s NOT going to happen, don’t we??
    ———————–
    AFTER New England dispatches the Jags by a lopsided score, I’ll look forward to the NFC title game whose outcome is NOT pre-determined by Goodell’s biased and incompetent officials (too many of whom are almost as old as ME!). Once, again, the Eagles are at home and are either 3 or 3 and 1/2 point underdogs. GIVE ME THE POINTS!!! Football is more of a game of emotions at this level than most casual fans believe. And home standing Philly fans WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE in this close, low to medium scoring, defensive contest. I BELIEVE the team that runs the ball the best will win this game. And the two best running backs on the field (AJAYI and BLOUNT) both play for the Eagles. NO MIRACLE will save the Vikings today! The “spread” won’t be needed as PHILADELPHIA advances to the Super Bowl!!

10. BailBondMike says:

TIm, Gabbert might also come cheaper than Matt Moore at backup. May not be an upgrade but no worse IMO. I also wonder what Teddy Bridgewater will command on the F/A market since he has not been able to show much after his injury.

Blaine Gabbert? Seriously? He of a career 11-34 record and career completion percentage of 55.9%? And his 71.5 career passer rating isn’t selling me, either.

I realize we’re talking about a backup, but we’d be better off just re-signing Matt Moore rather than signing “The Real American”.

Omg Gabbert! What the hell is going on here?

Let Landry walk and get Gabbert that’s a winning formula. And y’all complain about T-baum…sheesh

Stay with Fales as opposed to signing Gabbert and draft somebody in the mid rounds

Geez guys, a backup QB nothing more. Gabbert made 995K in 2017. It was a suggestion about available QBs. He’s athletic and would fit the offense we run with Tannehill was the point. Matt Moore looks like he’s running in sand these days. LOL

You may have well suggested we all drink horse piss

Off with Tim’s head. Next he’s going to suggest they bring back Ireland!

I think the smart move is to draft a sometime before day 2 is through

It’s a bit risky with tannehill coming back from injury
    But it’s also most likely to have the best rewards
    That draftee may develop into a starter
    And drafting a developmental type doesn’t undercut Tannehill ability to improve on what he has done so far

Between guys like Allen, Mayfield, Mason, benkart and Falk we may be able to nab that type of qb

Plus you can stick with Fales for TC
      And keep him on the final 53 if the rook doesn’t look ready

• New Age says:

We think alike. I can’t help but look at the Chiefs and see a team not only looking towards the future but having a bright one ahead. We are in a similar position this year. If there is a QB they like at #11, it’s almost negligence to not pick him. I don’t see the top 3 lasting that long(including Mayfield) and only Allen fits so far…but maybe he could be the answer. He’s terrible right now. A gigantic project that ensures at least a couple more Tannehill seasons. Maybe worth it.

Here will be decent QBs available in the 2nd and 3rd

Benkhart and Falk might be good options

For me a utopian draft would be that Nelson falls to us but
        We trade back and pick up a 2nd rounder then taking Nelson a little later in round 1

Then in rounds 2-3 add a QB, RB and TE with those 3 picks

The QB probably won’t get much use in 2018
        But between a good TE, a great OG and a 1-2 Drake + rookie running back tandem, our running game dramatically improve maybe even be dominant and keep our D off the field and rested in ‘18

To me that’s a path to the postseason in 2018 while building for the future as well

I hate ignoring defense in days 1-2 in the draft, but I just see a good opportunity to get really good somewhere to in 2018 That I don’t want to miss

• the difference is the Chiefs are a more complete team than the Phins. even with that they probably would have done better to go in a different direction than pick a qb in the first rd of this last draft.

I twisted my ankle yesterday in cross fit and I’m walking in crutches today
    🐖🏨

I want to see the end of an era today. Jags all over NE, just a beat down. Brady and Beli split up, the Patriots dynasty is no more. It would be nice to have a little more even playing field in our division for a change. Enough of having the Patriots 12-4, 13-3, 14-2, every fucking year. It would be sweet to know there’s actually a shot we can win the division. Despite all of delusions of grandeur, that has never really been in the cards for a long time.

This sucks I cannot bring myself to root for the Jacksonville Jaguars intellectually I understand that might hate for them is irrational and stems from the NFL forcing the Jaguars down my throat when I lived in Melbourne which is closer to Miami than it is Jacksonville and had always been a Miami Dolphins town. But the NFL decided we needed to change our allegiance to Jacksonville and would only show jack off games. It’s not their fault and even with them playing the hated Patriots I cannot root for them

LOL at OD’s rant above. IL can actually see that happening (except for the Jag’s coach getting back to back unsprtsmanlike penalties.)

pheloniusphish says:
    January 21, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Lmao…Naugahyde for everyone!

You are a savage! Don’t you have any sympathy for all those tiny innocent Naugas that are kept in tiny little cages their entire lives and then brutally slaughtered for their hides? I thought better of you Phelonius! SMH

24. naplesfan2010 says:

My third son is up there at the game.
    His buddy’s client gave him 4 tix, so they and the friend’s little brother flew up and are staying at my son’s former roommate’s apartment in exchange for giving him the 4th tick. He throws in transportation.
    Oh to be young and free again.

25. naplesfan2010 says:

You guys probably heard this.
    Leonard Fournette was rear-ended in Jacksonville the other day and his bumper fell off.
    He was NOT injured.
    He signed the bumper and gave it to the cop who showed up.

26. BailBondMike says:

What OD said! Was thinking same this morning. There will be 4-5 BS calls against the Jags and at least one or more will be a drive killer for their O but most will be called against their D.

YOUR TEAM MIAMI DOLPHINS
    YOUR PICKS
    1: R1P11 S DERWIN JAMES FLORIDA STATE
    2: R2P10 C BILLY PRICE OHIO STATE
    3: R3P9 EDGE JALYN HOLMES OHIO STATE
    4: R4P11 CB ISAIAH OLIVER COLORADO
    5: R4P30 LB UCHENNA NWOSU SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    6: R6P9 S SEAN CHANDLER TEMPLE
    7: R7P5 DL KINGSLEY KEKE TEXAS AM
    8: R7P11 P JOSEPH DAVIDSON BOWLING GREEN

My first mock of the season and I went purely BPA in order without thinking about position need.

Naples: awesome for yer son … GO JAGS!!!!

Fall on his hand !!!

30. BailBondMike says:

First “no call” on Pats so far comes on that 4th and 2. Huge pick play that got the WR open and mismatched on the D player.

MIAMI DOLPHINS
    YOUR PICKS
    1: R1P11 G QUENTON NELSON NOTRE DAME
    2: R2P10 LB RASHAAN EVANS ALABAMA
    3: R3P9 TE DALLAS GOEDERT SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
    4: R4P11 QB LUKE FALK WASHINGTON STATE
    5: R4P30 CB NICK NELSON WISCONSIN
    6: R6P9 EDGE MARQUIS HAYNES MISSISSIPPI
    7: R7P5 P JK SCOTT ALABAMA
    8: R7P11 FB DIMITRI FLOWERS OKLAHOMA

GOT ME A FULL BACK AND A TE

Though I don’t like taking Notre Dame players in the first.

Defense defense defense

Bortles goes down in the forth and Chad Henne comes in to drive the Jags down the field for the come from behind score to win!

Mercedes !!!

36. BailBondMike says:

OK, Jags got the lead in the second quarter. Kraft is making his phone call….

Ladies (YEAH!), Ladies (YEAH!)

Just throw to my Marcedes . . .

38. naplesfan2010 says:

about 18 minutes before the first penalty by either team
    We must improve this.

I wish we had a fullback

Pile them points on boys

I love this game so far. Power run game right at them and Bellicheat has no answer so far.

42. Rhino says:

like Brees, I won’t count out a Brady comeback…. but so far this has been quite enjoyable. Fournette getting low and driving those legs… DAMN he looked beastly.

43. naplesfan2010 says:

Fournette with powerrrr … we need a power back and or a power run game.
    Also saw that FB blocking in there.

Tip of the hat tro ORob and Wyo.

That tackle attempt by VanNoy should be framed as one of the all time worst tackles

Fournette pushes him back like he was on wheels

Ok, Ok, Ok, I’m going to try this…. No, no….Ok

Go Jaguars!

(Burp)

Oh Telvin

Telvin

CRUSH BRADY

THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL

This is fun! Jags are just dominating this game

The way Marsha is protecting the hand it may only take 1-2 knocks on it to make it an issue … Hammer that Bitch !!!!

make him reach out to brace himself on those hits or if he keeps pulling the hand up and landing on his elbow dislocate that bitch or his shoulder. Put some weight on him when you put him down.

Just have to keep the refs from getting the Pats back in this one. So far, they have been letting them play

52. naplesfan2010 says:

Tommy is dazed and confused.

Nice job Jags.

And here we go

55. naplesfan2010 says:

Was that really a delay of game or did Kraft make a phone call?

56. naplesfan2010 says:

Marrone blew clock management there as he could also have run another 20 seconds off before the punt.

11: R1P11
    C AUSTIN CORBETT
    NEVADA
    230: R7P11
    TE ETHAN WOLF
    TENNESSEE

Bullshit call!!!!!!!!!!!

The ref’s are going to give The Lady’s a TD before half!

Nice drive by the officials there

See my post at 4:04PM

Incredible comeback. The Pats drive down the field with two big flags and scores….. who would have thought it? 😉

I really like those Aaron Rogers Clay Matthews commercials. LOL

That’s why they score……that and the refs help…

That PI call on Bouye was Bouye-shit

66. ElephantRider says:

Every broadcast Boomer says something about the refs for the Cheatriots. People need to listen up!

Nice

January 21, 2018 at 9:26 am
    Rob

1-5 in the playoffs,
    _____________________________________

well if we’re judging on playoff performance I think Smith crushes Tannehill in that department

70. Rhino says:

Gronk out… sets up the dialogue for “why Pats didn’t make the SB” lol AND, alternatively, “why Brady is a hero for getting Pats to SB without Gronk” LOL (geez, I think this post sounds bitter)

71. Rhino says:

Myles Jack: he IS who he says he IS

AWEsome play by Jack

Chance for NFL to Patronize the Pats again

This is AWESOME!

75. naplesfan2010 says:

PI

76. naplesfan2010 says:

Dang they needed to get something out of that. run some clock at least

The fat guy dance!

78. Rhino says:

Pats pulling out the playground playbook… they’re getting desperate. one more turnover could cinch this.

79. rich0322 says:

Not good.

80. naplesfan2010 says:

GOAT magic

81. rich0322 says:

You cannot allow them to pick up a 3rd & 18.

Too many holding penalties not being called against NE, but JAx has played dumb on defense on that last drive

83. Rhino says:

huge possession for jax right here

Jags need a TD here. Enough of this FG bullshit.

This is going to be too easy for the officials to give them a little help. Jags needed a bigger lead.

86. naplesfan2010 says:

Bortles missed the open guy.

87. rich0322 says:

Not good at all.

I have a bad feeling about this…

89. Rhino says:

and here we go with a typical Pats assisted comeback

90. Rhino says:

Jags composure is gonna be tested… not what you’d want to see as a Jags fan, imo. Bortles looked lost on that last series.

91. naplesfan2010 says:

nice play Telvin.
    Now they need to get first downs.

What the heck is Jax doing on offense with these play calls?

93. naplesfan2010 says:

Bortles way late on the pass.

94. Rhino says:

Bortles has a shot at keeping his job… he needs to step up!

95. naplesfan2010 says:

terrible punt.

96. naplesfan2010 says:

why is Jax fair catching every punt?

97. naplesfan2010 says:

Jax looks lost and out coached.

SVUCKS

99. rich0322 says:

That might be the end for Jacksonville.

No pressure, Bortles. YOU CAN DO IT!

Fuck, and double fuck!!!

102. rich0322 says:

Well, looks like I won’t be watching another Super Bowl.

103. ElephantRider says:

My schedule just became wide open Feb. 4th

Of course…

105. naplesfan2010 says:

oh well

It just never freaking ends . . . I’ll watch the SB, and just hope I don’t have to watch the Patriots hoisting another trophy

Makes the Superbowl more interesting for me at least.

😡😡😡

109. rich0322 says:

Not me, I now have no interest in the Super Bowl.

110. naplesfan2010 says:

The key was that the Jax OL quit blocking for Fournette.
    And the other key was that NE has the GOAT.

Ugh! Door to door Girl Scout cookie selling right after the Patriots win, with mommy and daddy following in their Audi Q7. NO SALE!!! lol

Some Vikings fans get the true welcome to Philly treatment….and they ain’t throwing smowballs.

Prediction: first home Super Bowl in NFL history… Minnesota Vikings.
    GO CASE!!!

WELL, as predicted, penalty calls against the Jags late in the 2nd quarter turned this game around. The second of those two, “interference” called when the receiver was ALREADY OUT OF BOUNDS set up the “CHEATS” for their first TD just before halftime. 9 penalties for about 100 yards against the Jags; ONLY 1 penalty against the CHEATRIOTS. I counted 4 offensive holding penalties against the Cheats that WERE NOT CALLED. Undoubtedly many more also were missed. But, at least, Jacksonville won on the spread, which is no consolation to their fans. Give the Jags credit. Today, they likely would have won a fairly officiated game. And the loss of GRONK will hurt the Pats in the Super Bowl.

Give due credit to Tom-boy, too. He took some big shots but hung in there. And he brought the Pats from behind without Gronkowski. And the Patriots proved, again, in the fourth quarter, THEY ARE THE BEST CONDITIONED TEAM IN THE NFL. I have yet to hear that statement this entire year. But I’ve always thought that, next to help from the officials, the Pats superior conditioning is one of the keys to their long list of comebacks. Conversely, over the last 10 years, I’ve NEVER FELT the Dolphins were close to the best conditioned team in the NFL.
    ——————–
    MRS. OD is so pissed she WON’T watch the 2nd game nor the Super Bowl. But, in a couple of weeks, she’ll change her tune and watch what we both hope is the end of the Patriots big run in the NFL.
    ——————-
    Still like the Eagles plus the spread in the upcoming contest.

115. ElephantRider says:

Cheatriots with 1 penalty all day. And that was on special teams……

NFL Research

Verified account

@NFLResearch
      11s12 seconds ago
      The Patriots were called for 1 penalty against the Jaguars

It is the fewest penalties called on one team in a playoff game since the 2011 AFC Championship… when the Patriots were called for 1 penalty in a win over the Ravens

Keep your eyes on Eagles LB Nigel Bradham. He’s a pending FA after the season and he’d be a nice addition to our corps. He’s an excellent pass-defender.

117. naplesfan2010 says:

Maybe we should sign McKinnon as a FA. He has quick feet.

118. naplesfan2010 says:

Niiiiice throw by Case Keenum.

Geez….can they not keep their shit together until the game even starts? What idiots.

Meh…I just missed a once in a lifetime chance to watch my team go to the super bowl but I did get a chance to break my nose….weeeee

120. naplesfan2010 says:

uh oh

121. naplesfan2010 says:

Eagles also showing off Exotic Smashmouth.

If this score holds up I will get one more Sunday out of my Jay Ajayi Jersey

123. naplesfan2010 says:

Love Jerrick

That’s just because of how well they are coached……..

They are the best team in the league at holding, both offensive and defensive, and pass interference, both offensive (every play called has a pick built in) and defensive with out getting caught.

I wish we saw more of this from Parker this year……

Well, I hope we see a LOT more of it next year.

Stanger I understand your answer and kind of agree with ya .. outside of the Patriots i will be happy
    For whoever wins the game , always kinda liked Philly, and would be cool for Vikings to play and win in Home Bowl game , hopefully a feat repeated in 2020 👍😎🍺

TOBA; I’m afraid the only way Miami players get to the 2020 Super Bowl is if Ross buys them tickets to the game!!

Rock: i still would like Blount… have wanted him with Fins since Tenn let him go

129. Here’s a name you’ll want to remember. Korey Robertson, WR, Southern Miss

130. Dat’s MY Boy!!! Nick Foles!! Lights OUT!!!

131. Rhino says:

you mean… I have to watch either the Patriots win SB again OR.. OR (!) see Jay Ajayi celebrate a ring ??
    just kill me now

132. Rhino says:

Dolphins fans must be doing it wrong cuz the two worst fan bases in the NFL get to cheer for their teams in the SB this year. Next Fest y’all need to take some D batteries into the stadium. lol

AS PREDICTED< THERE will be no "Minnesota Miracle" tonight! Jay Ajayi is going to the Super Bowl, while T-BOMB and Gase have a 4th round pick. How typical is this during the reign of Steve Ross???
    ——–
    And, like Miami, the Eagles lost their starting QB, their starting middle LB (Walker) and about 3-4 other starters. But, unlike Miami, the Eagles have quality depth and a quality front office. Ajayi must think he's died and gone to heaven!!!

SHAME,SHAME on Dolphins management!!

134. Rhino says:

Keenum has a case of the ‘Bortles’ … but it hit him in the 3rd qtr instead of the 4th

135. Rhino says:

gonna overturn that TD… too bad

Hit the ground, too bad

137. Rhino says:

Everybody starts drinking when the Pats go back to the SB…

y’all get quiet … I feel like venting. lol

138. Thrilled for Foles and Ajayi. They deserve it.

Foles is looking like he did hus 1st season with Philly

140. Foles with 4 completions of 35 yds or more 23/30 for 336 yds and 2 tds.

Ajayi was solid but does anyone else think he looks like he’s falling down almost all the time even as he hustles for more yards.

As Dolphins fans, why do you want to be so pro Ajayi and anti-team? He wasn’t Eric Dickerson today. LOL

This Eagles team was good before and with Ajayi. He isn’t their key player. Foles was excellent today.

• ElephantRider says:

Really Tim?

It’s pretty clear Phins would be where the Cheats are now if they had kept Ajayi. Eagles were horrible until he came in and lifted that pathetic offense. Jeez!

Miami fans prefer dark clouds.

That era ended in 1995. It’s 2018. Big season for a lot of people.

• I don’t think there’s anything wrong with rooting for a former player of the team. Ajayi was one of my favs and I still like the guy regardless of what kind of pussy ass shit Gase was tired of putting up with. All coaches deal with players personalities and that’s why some are successful and others aren’t.

142. It’s pretty obvious to me after watching these playoff teams the Dolphins aren’t nearly as close as some fans would like to think they are. You look at Jacksonville’s defense and the way their LB’s were able to get to Lewis on those swing passes so quickly and limit the gains and how they got guys to the ground so quickly after catching the ball, again, limiting gains and you see how far away we are because we have nobody on our team at LB who can do that.

And that’s just one example. You want to talk about the defensive line and pressure and run stopping that’s another thing.

We’re a long way off and that one 10-6 year is no indication that we got any closer than we were before.

143. I choose not to be a butthurt Phins fan who trashes every former player because our team sucks. There were players we got rid of in the past like Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson who deserved to be trashed but Ajayi doesn’t deserve it.

144. If you want to make yourself feel good by downplaying situations like the one with Ajayi then so be it but you’ve got to come to terms with reality. That trade shows nothing more than we still have management that’s incapable of making decisions that can help the team and continue to make decisions that will hurt the team.

And OD hits the nail on the head every time. Until this team finds someone who is capable of doing things the right way and for the benefit of the team things aren’t going to get any better. Take a look at the last two offseasons with guys like Mario Williams, Butler, Timmons, Bushrod and Maualuga.

Do you really have the slightest bit of faith that the people making the decisions are going to start building a team rather than picking up these guys off the street who are at the end of their careers and have no business starting anywhere in the NFL?

I don’t. And until they start showing they do I’ll continue to have no faith they can get it done. So, it’s an unfortunate fact that this team sucks right now and we’ve got a bunch of incompetents running the show but if nothing changes; nothing will change.

Holy Fuck! The Eagles scored 38 points, and Ajayi had 73 yards rushing, and NO TD’s. He was the story yesterday, oh yes he was!

Lou – Those Jags LB’s were great. Who won the game?

Maualuga was signed because we had injuries. Skip your meds this morning?

I agree the Ajayi deal effectively put an end to our season and a huge step in the wrong direction, a lot of moves have been very questionable but none bigger than the Ajayi mistake.

Now we look forward to ridding ourselves of this guy who performs great on the field but doesn’t get along with the HC at times.

it isn’t about talent or performance with this HC.

I hope Landry does well where ever he lands.

Was it worth letting Brandon Albert go and adding Thomas?

I’m not sure what shape Albert was in but he sure helped this team in 2016

149. Rhino says:

Tim:
    “Shula was a great coach, but he was also 2-3 in SBs with the Dolphins, 2-4 overall if you count the Colts.

That era ended in 1995. It’s 2018. Big season for a lot of people.”
    – – – – – – – – – – –
    and that was the last time we were IN a SuperBowl. There were some legendary coaches in the 1970’s/80’s …. Cowboys found another, Pittsburgh found another…we still haven’t found our replacement. I really think a lot of our fan base ‘dark clouds’ is the frustration of not rebounding from the ‘legends’ in our past the way other teams from that era have been able to. Kind of like: “if they can do it why can’t we”?

One big reason is having the Patriots in our division. It’s not just us that can’t beat the Patriots, it seems very few teams can. If you don’t think that’s a major factor, you’re not paying attention.

150. Rhino says:

Anybody ever wonder… after our crappy 2007 season and getting the #1 overall… maybe we got back to that one playoff game “too fast” instead of a couple more high picks? Not that I’m complaining… winning the division that year brought so much joy. Jags have a lot of talent on that defense after getting some great picks over the last few years.

we did beat the Pats this year

152. ElephantRider says:

Nobody is bashing Ajayi. But to say he’s the reason this season went the way it did is ridiculous.

Exactly! I’ve never bashed Ajayi. I was a big fan of his but he’s an Eagle now so that’s where it stops. I wish him no harm or anything. But he’s just a part of the Eagles, not a catalyst. Overrate him all you want, I watched the game too. 🙂

It’s really absurd. The last 8 years, the Patriots are 102-26. It’s like every year we have no shot to make the playoffs unless we get the WC.

Rhino – Ironically, Ross was probably closest to getting the right guy when he chased after Jim Harbaugh when Sparano was HC, he just went about it wrong.

155. Rhino says:

Just for grins:
    1970 – 1995 Division Championships (Buff and Miami = 9 SB appearances)
    Miami – 12
    Buffalo – 7
    Colts – 5
    NE – 2
    NYJets – 0

1996 – 2017 (Shula leaves after ’95, Levy from Buffalo ’97)
    NE – 17 (15 of which are Belichick’s since 2000… about to play in 9th SB during this time)
    Miami – 2
    NYJets – 2
    Colts – 1
    Buffalo – 0

Perhaps it’s as simple as two legendary coaches in the division leaving and the vacuum being filled by another legendary coach.

I dont think its downplaying anything to say the trade of Ajayi didn’t hurt us, i dont think you can say it helped either, it was a trade where Ajayi was not in the plans for the future of this team so they traded him instead of cutting him later. The simple fact is he and the coach (his boss) couldn’t see eye to eye, Gase gave him a plan of action to fix it and he didnt meet it, so instead of just cutting him, he took the opportunity to get something out of the deal and got us a 4th in exchange. Will that 4th turn out to be a beneficial player added to the roster, im not sure, we are going to have to wait an see on that one.

I dont think, however the production we were getting from Ajayi, no matter who you see fit to place the blame for it, was showing we would have made the playoffs with him. Out of all the statements made about it, i think hats about the most ridiculous one. So we would have miraculously been so much better if he had stayed, when his production, no matter the angle you look at it, was lesser than Drake’s? We just were not getting it done on the ground with him, and not trading him wouldn’t have changed that. I’m very convinced we would be 6-10 with him, as we were without him. There was a bigger picture as to why we were 6-10 this year and it doesn’t center on the Ajayi trade.

I say this fully admitting that i feel that Drake is the better back, and i know a lot of the opposition just doesn’t feel that way, but i still do not think that anyone here has ever shown that its reasonable to think we are a playoff team with Ajayi or even better than 6-10. We had a shitty season plain and simple and we have a lot to improve on to get back to the playoffs.

I was at our season end FFL party yesterday and all of us were saying the Pats are like a unicorn. No matter what’s going on something always magical happens for them. They live a charmed life and it’s pretty bizarre how it continues year after year. Everyone just accepts it now. LOL

I hate accepting it, but it’s shoved down my throat every year as I have to watch them in the playoffs every year, and the SB most years. It really needs to end. It’s reminiscent as a Mets fan of the Braves winning the division every year for a decade or so.

ElephantRider says:
    January 22, 2018 at 10:12 am
    ________________________________

is it? we were 4-3 when Ajayi played here (a winning record), we were 4-0 when we used him more than 20 times.

IMO we would have won the Raiders, Tampa Bay, one of the Buffalo games, and may have won the Kansas city game. all of those games we had a weak running attack.

do the math

Is it math, or your opinion? 😉

• ocalarob says:

4-3 is a winning record and 4-0 when he had more than 20 touches is a fact.

• ocalarob says:

Also one of those losses were against the Ravens when Cutler went down and Ajayi had 13 carries as that was the last game he played and the bell may have already been rung on him by Gase. so if you look at it realistically we were 4-2 with Ajayi and our starting QB

We had a weak running attack with him in a few games too. You seem to leave that out. We won those 4 early games because of our defense, not the offense.

• ocalarob says:

and we lost those few games, look at the stats, when he ran more than 20 times we won. it’s there in black and white

That’s not just about Ajayi though, that’s the case no matter who’s running the ball.

January 22, 2018 at 10:10 am
    Did Albert play this season? I think that’s your answer
    _________________________________

he wanted to, Jax said NO.

it didn’t matter if Ajayi ran for 200 yards or 60 yards.
    Opposing D’s had to account for Ajayi, making other areas of their D weaker, they had to use resources as they realized Ajayi’s potential that without that threat attended to different areas of the game.
    sure Drake could peal off big gains but he wasn’t a forceful runner like Ajayi, you have to stop the forceful RB because he puts the offense in desirable positions on 2nd and 3rd and to do that you have to use the resources making other areas less guarded.

I get that some don’t understand this concept, nothing i can do about that.

So it all boils down to this, when Gase dumped Ajayi was that a move that helped this team?

where were all you Ajayi opponents at the beginning of the season?

Take the blindfolds off please!

I was rooting for him while he was on my team. After that, fuck ’em!

• ElephantRider says:

Lol
        At the beginning of every season we have high hopes for everyone to perform well. It all comes crashing down……

Im in no different position than i was before, i still think he is a back with talent, i still like the player, i like how he runs, but i also still dont see him as a difference maker in our offense. A lot more has to change for him to have been consistently successful, 3 stand out games in his whole career, then just three others afterwards that eclipsed 100 yards. Multiple game averaging below 3.5 YPC and several averaging below 3 YPC and thats not even average its pretty significantly below average.

Also your recollection of those games is not accurate. Ajay in the 2 of the 4 wins on that 4-3 was a 3.1 YPC average, and a 2.2 YPC average. His rushing totals in those game were pedestrian. Just let it go man, he is gone, and i honestly think it was a great move for him, because he landed on a team that has a chance to go to a Superbowl, and we aren’t in a place where that would have happened with him here.

So, it looks like the Vikings are going to go into the off-season with no QB’s under contract and a decision on which to let walk. Teddy Bridgewater has made a statement that he believes he will be a starter in 2018, and i dont see how the Vikings can gamble on that coming in to next year and following a late exit from the playoffs with Keenum as the QB. If they cant sign Bridgewater to be the backup, he might wind up somewhere else next year with a new team that might be in a better position to gamble on him being their starter. Im sure that team isnt us, but that situation has become an interesting one, because all 3 might be worthy of a look as a starter for them or any number of other teams. That also might seriously affect the QB draft situation since some of those teams might opt for one of those guys instead of gambling on a new QB. If im Cleveland, id probably pick one of those guys up and then draft someone still at number 1 just to cover my bases.

Wiff!!!!

YPC has nothing to do with it, It’s the amount of carries that matter, sure you’re not going to get great yardage when the opposing D has 9 in the box but you can bet other guys will explode under those conditions, it’s a fact when Ajayi had more than 18 carries a game we were undefeated.

January 22, 2018 at 11:28 am
    I was rooting for him while he was on my team. After that, fuck ’em!
    _____________________________________________________

i would guess as soon as Gase dumps Landry you’ll still have that attitude right?

One of the disturbing things about our offense and this makes your point to a degree about the running game and Ajayi, even though I think that’s the case with any team if they have a threat at RB, is, Gase said last year (2016 season) even when we were in 3 WR sets, opposing defenses played us in base. What does that say about Landry?

Rob – As much as I like Landry, if he goes to another team, you betcha! It’s hard enough to root for the players that are on my team, I got nothing for the ones on other teams now.

Just wait, Tannehill will be back this season, and everything will be okay again. 😄

Oops. Was that a laughing emoji or a smiling one? Those fuckers always confuse me.

D says:
    January 22, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Also Tennessee fired Dick Lebeau. That dude is a great defensive mind. If i was Gase id hire him on as a consultant. He gets to move to Florida where his 80 year old bones wont creak as much and we get to tap into the mind of a defensive legend, who can maybe pass some things along to Burke as he quietly rides off to the sunset.

I was at our season end FFL party yesterday and we were talking all sports and players and the difference between, good, efficient and great etc. I mentioned that Landry is a FA and is using Julio Jones and Antonio Brown as a level for a contract. Everyone’s eyebrows went up. The consensus was nice player, gritty and all that, not a game changer. Opponents: go ahead and catch 10-90 and maybe a TD, that’s not why you’ll win today.

I left thinking Landry is worth even less money than I thought he was at the start of the day. It’s true. He just catches more passes than everyone else but he’s not the reason we win a lot, because we don’t.

D,
    Bradford’s knees are done. The talk up here is that he can’t be trusted to play. Bridgewater was a decent player but hardly a major asset. I’m guessing they keep Case and Bridgewater IF they can sign them both. It all depends on the sort of offers Keenum gets. He hurt himself in the playoff game, so i’m not sure teams are gonna throw big starter money at him. He’s a limited QB. Bridgewater is still an unknown, but the word is that Zimmer loves him.

I’ve never done acid, so i’ll take your word for it!

It says that teams don’t worry about Tannehill beating them. They can play base all game long if they like because they know he doesn’t go through progressions well and usually takes his first read.

January 22, 2018 at 1:36 pm
    _________________________
    I’m not saying to root for players on other teams but maybe it’s time to root against the guy sending them there.

Mularkey fired, get him, he’d be an improvement for sure!

Oh jeez, I’m not even going to get started with Randy and Rob…..

Rock,
    You’re wrong again!

It’s a blizzard here. 10 inches since about 6 AM. I got nothing better to do than make fun of Tannehill! Stop ruining it for me.

If Landry wears our Laundry then we cheer for him. If he doesn’t, treat him like a third cousin.

January 22, 2018 at 3:41 pm
    He’s Derek Jeter without the championships. Good player. Not a dominant player.
    _____________________________________________________________

Not even close! horrible comparison LOL, the guy’s got 5 rings a hall of famer for sure and you’re comparing him to a 2nd rnd pick coming off his rookie contract.

If you think so highly of him then you should be very pissed when Gase cuts him loose!

Randy,

Have you heard the rumors that Keenum may follow Pat Shurmur to where ever he ends up? That would be very interesting if Shurmur ends up as the Giants’ HC.

You’d have Eli Manning in the mix… who was rumored to go to Jacksonville next season to reunite with Coughlin… but Blake Bortles just made it to the AFC Championship and played very well down the stretch.

Lots of dominoes to fall regarding QBs this coming season… not to mention a good QB Draft class. It’s going to be interesting.

• ocalarob says:

name 5 QBs that Blake Bortles is better than in the NFL?
      I can’t, maybe the guy in Denver or Cleveland who else?
      Jax won with a solid D and a running game

I think Landry is more replaceable then Ajayi will be

Randy says:
    January 22, 2018 at 2:04 pm

D,
    ——————————————–
    That makes the most sense. I was just commenting on what i read from a recent interview with Bridgewater, which seemed to indicate he wasnt willing to take the backup role. Im kind of in the same boat as you, and just dont see how they can commit to him as a starter without knowing he back from his injury at 100%. I also agree the best option is to sign Keenum as their starter, and try to get Bridgewater to take a backup contract, but its definately not an enviable position they are in. They could wind up losing their best starting option for 2018, or the guy they had hopes was the franchise QB of the future, or both if they dont play it right.

I also think it doesn’t really matter what they do they are going to be overpaying for one of the other, either the guy who was playing great before an injury that most though would be career ending and sitting out 2 years, or the guy with one years success but the kind of success that gets you a big contract.

Rockphin says:
    January 22, 2018 at 2:37 pm
    Oh jeez, I’m not even going to get started with Randy and Rob…..
    _____________________________________

Then keep your 2 cents, see if i care!

January 22, 2018 at 1:54 pm

He’s a 3-4 zone blitz guy. We’re not built that way.
    —————————————–
    I wouldnt want him to make up the scheme for us, but his depth of knowledge of defensive concepts would be a boon to any defensive scheme i think. Hell he could just review tape and let Gase/Burke know what went wrong on plays. Sometimes it takes an outside observer to point out how it broke down, and a guy with his kind of knowledge would definitely know why it broke down. I doubt the guy wants to embark on another coaching gig at his age, but he might want to stay involved in football and stay active, so consulting might be a next chapter for him that is enticing.

Drake is Tavon Austin, we need a Todd Gurley

why not have Damien Williams replace Ajayi, That’s what Gase had planned for until he went down with an injury, he was obviously ahead of Drake in Gases mind.

ocalarob says:
    January 22, 2018 at 4:11 pm
    name 5 QBs that Blake Bortles is better than in the NFL?
    I can’t, maybe the guy in Denver or Cleveland who else?
    Jax won with a solid D and a running game
    ————
    Look at it like this for Jacksonville…

E Manning ’17: 37 years old, 61.6%, 3,468 yards, 19 TDs, 13 INTs, 80.4 RAT
    B Bortles ’17: 25 years old, 60.2%, 3,687 yards, 21 TDs, 13 INTs, 84.7 RAT

One is the future (12 years younger), one is getting ready to retire.

By the way, I ABSOLUTELY agree with ya that Jacksonville won with a solid D and running game.
    +1000000000000000

M13,
    Yes, I heard that about Shurmur and Keenum, but I don’t think Shurmur is saying it. The word is he had to scale back the offense for Keenum because there are certain throws he really struggles to make.

New blog up