The Wedge Scouting Report: Mike White, Western Kentucky

One of my favorite weapons is the BetaGasBomb.  When it makes contact with the surface it unleashes a cloud of gas which kills everything in it!  It’s a slow death.

betabomb

Don’t ever say Wedge isn’t generous though.  When I drop this bomb, I leave the lifeforms I gas, just enough time to draft a last will.  In fact I even provide a pre-printed will with the bomb which also spread all over the surface.

Wedgewill

Why so generous?  Watching a QB spread the ball around like Mike White will do that to you.

NCAA Football: Western Kentucky at Florida Atlantic

The Positives:  Western Kentucky has been putting some prolific offenses on the field the last few years and the last two years with Mike White as their QB, they continued that trend.  Over 4300 yards passing in 2016 and over 4100 yards in 2017 with 63 total touchdowns over those last two years.  Of course he threw close to 1000 times but WOW!  His QB rating was off the charts at an impressive 158.1 while he was at Western Kentucky.

But it’s not just stats, its physical skills.  At 6-4, 225 pounds he has the size that NFL scouts want from their QBs.  He’s also got a cannon of an arm.  In fact, White, who was also a pitcher in high school, is said to have a 90 mph fastball.

I think White’s a heady college QB who reads defenses well.  He does a good job of manipulating defenses to create small windows when the deep ball isn’t there but he has an impressive deep ball too.  He completed an impressive 57% of his deep throws.

MikeWhite3

The Negatives:  The obvious weakness – he played for Western Kentucky (after transferring form South Florida).  Maybe he is just a system QB.  Dolfans might recall that Western Kentucky also produced Brandon Doughty  who hasn’t done much in the NFL.

He has also taken a ton of sacks at Western Kentucky – 45 times in 2017 which lead to 12 fumbles.  Of course, Western Kentucky has a notably bad offensive line, so in a way, he should be ready for the Dolphins should they select him.

Unless a roster is just devoid of any QBs, don’t expect Mike White to start in 2018.  This guy probably needs a little time to be NFL ready.

MikeWhite4

The Alien Dust:  White is from Pembroke Pines Florida, just around the corner from Davie.  He’s a local product and was recommended to the Dolphins from another Western Kentucky local product in Doughty (who risks losing a job to White should White be drafted by the Dolphins).

The Dolphins have shown some interest in White and this pick would not surprise me in the 3rd round or 4th if he lasts through the 4th.  I don’t think White goes any higher than the 2nd round and I doubt he is on the board in the 5th.

He has better tools to work with than his Western Kentucky predecessor (Doughty) and should be able to at least be a quality backup in the NFL.

MikeWhite6

White is similar to one of my favorite weapons – the BetaGasBomb.

whitebomb

You can watch his highlights here!

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

388 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: Mike White, Western Kentucky

Nice write Piggy. I like White in the mid rounds. I think he is in the group with Benkert, Ferguson and maybe Falk who I wish had a stronger arm

Hey Ken, hope you are feeling better and stronger every day and the pain meds are plentiful.

Thanks Herd. This was a big surgery. No matter how much they tell you it is hard to appreciate just how significant it is and how difficult the healing process is

DEAR KEN; –I SECOND herdfan’s comments. I don’t know any of the specifics about your hospitalization. But I do vaguely remember you saying something to the effect that my comments sometimes gave you a pain in the ass!! I sure hope your ailment, whatever it is, is NOT related to that part of your body.

Hey OD it was for a recurrence of my oral cancer. They took out. Portion of my jaw bone and 4 teeth. They also took a lymph node out of my neck

KEN; Thanks for letting me know. On a related subject, I remember back in the ’70’s, Joe Garagiola used to tour the baseball spring training camps with a former big league player who had major portions of his jaw and mouth removed due to his long term use of chewing tobacco. An amazing percentage of “the chewers” just kept chewing during the presentation which urged ball players to get help if they needed it to kick the habit. One of the chewers told Garagiola “I know I’ll never come down with cancer.”
        ————-
        Get well, my friend. We all wish you the best!

Never chewed tobacco and never a smoker and I still got. The origins of cancer is something they have not figured out yet

You are right about that, Ken, However, I’m guessing you’d never tempt fate by jumping on the chewing bandwagon. Down here in the Deep South, “Dipping” and “Chewing” are a way of life. How sad!

Nice analysis of White. Sounds like a guy to keep an eye on. Am all for drafting a QB if they see the right guy, just not in the first. And really cool of Doughty to talk his friend up to the Phins. And that is one big recommendation given that might put him out of a job.

YOUNG STANGER; I saw Mr. White play a game against my alma mater, Florida Atlantic. I came away with a pretty high evaluation of him. However, as the article implies, White is not the fleetest player you’ve ever seen. He’d be far better off with a team that has a decent offensive line—something Miami MUST ADDRESS in THIS DRAFT before drafting a player like White.

I’m with you on OL being first priority, but then was what I thought last year too. And sounds like White wouldn’t be ready to play right away anyhow…..so could build for him if looked like he might be the QB of the future.

rich0322 says:
    February 25, 2018 at 10:49 am
    …Cindy need a OG really bad too.
    ————-
    Cindy who?

Good article Piggy, funny and informational. I could see him as someone we might pick up. I think you also hit his value on the button, 3rd or 4th. You have to figure 5 or 6 will gone by RD 2, Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson and Rudolph. Then it’s probably Luke Falk and Mike White next, and when one goes, the other will probably go shortly after that.

Good stuff, Piggy! The biggest negative on White is sluggish feet both in the pocket and trying to escape it. I’ve seen his draft status all over the place, from 2nd rd to 7th. That’s kind of weird.

I’m beginning to think more and more that Roquan Smith is going to be our selection @ R1P11. Now if we sign Nigel Bradham via FA, all bets are off. In fact… I think that if we sign Bradham, it’s indicative that we may draft a QB @ R1P11 (with the thought that Quenton Nelson has already been selected, of course).

Just an inkling…

I think this would be my current “unofficial R1P11 Draft board”

A) A top prospect falling to us (see Laremy Tunsil in ’16)
    B) Quenton Nelson
    C) Tremaine Edmunds
    D) Roquan Smith
    E) One of the top-4 QBs falling to us (likely either Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield)
    F) Billy Price (preferably in a trade down scenario)

But of course, FA will dictate how it all plays out. Where Kirk Cousins lands will affect much. If we sign Nigel Bradham (or Tahir Whitehead, for that matter), that will affect much.

And of course, whether we keep or trade Jarvis Landry will affect much.

• any way you slice it nothing will be easy. some people are convinced that the Mayfield thing isn’t a smokescreen and Miami is hell bent on getting him and my concern is we’ve got little in the way of cap resources to do anything in free agency to shore up at least one spot and then we’d need to use some additional draft resources to get Mayfield because we’re going to need to move up.

If we were in a position where we were that one guy away like Esiason thinks we are then it would be a different story but when you need to get at least one solid player in free agency and don’t have the resources to do so and then you go and spend your draft capital to get one guy you’re screwing the pooch big time.

even if Mayfield was the guy you’d hoped he’d be you would be wasting a good portion of his rookie contract trying to build something around him.

11. BailBondMike says:

I like White and Ferguson. Both have cannon’s for arms. Ferguson is a little more mobile than White. Those are my 2 I would like to see drafted. No 1st round QB please!

12. BailBondMike says:

M13, Agree with your above post but hope option E does not happen.

Ken,
    Hoping you have a speedy recovery.

M – I’m pretty much OK with your A-E, although for some reason I think Roquan fits more what we’re looking for than Edmunds, although Edmunds is an excellent player too. I think taking Derwin James, or Marcus Davenport as Charles Davis mocked to us would have me all pissed off.

We’re going see some change in prospect rankings in the next few weeks after the combine and pro days. You’ll start to see some new intel on physicality and character concerns so these mocks are going to change some. Happens every year.

Now get us either of Roquan Smith or Nigel Bradham.

I’ve LOVED Derrick Johnson ever since his days at Texas and hope he can continue his career with another 3-4 Defensive team not in the AFC East.

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    February 25, 2018 at 3:15 pm
    we would need to hope someone is foolish enough to take Ridley in the top ten.
    ———–
    Totally agreed, and I CAN see it possibly happening.

Pro Lou, et al; CONSIDERING WHO is doing the picking, it’s a virtual lock that, once again, Miami will come up short with its first round selection. OUR BIGGEST NEED LAST YEAR was the O-Line. Result? A 5th round pick who couldn’t get on the field except for a cameo the final game. WILL the “DOOFUS BRIGADE” do an even worse job this year??? I wouldn’t bet against that happening!!

I’m actually AFRAID to see what we’re going to do come Draft day! Coming from me, that is NOT a vote of confidence for the so-called “DOOFUS BRIGADE”!

• no doubt in my mind the Doofus Brigade will do their usual “bang up” job in the draft and sign their usual has been free agents only to release them at the end of the year and sign another group of has been free agents.

only thing different this year is they don’t have the money to go out and sign as many free agents as in the past. and with our cap being what it is and what it’s going to cost to sign the draft class they may end up trading out of the first all together because we don’t have the money.

19. BailBondMike says:

Really upset at the “system” this morning and can’t get it out of my head. I bonded this 19 y.o. out last night on 11 charges of burglary and 10 charges of larceny. Has never been in trouble before. He is a standout freshman on the UWF team who just lost in the NCAA Division II title game. He is now being recruited by 5 different DIV 1 teams. He is 5’9″ 200 lbs. and just ran 4.4 flat 40 for one of the teams. He has a cousin who is a trouble maker who went out with a bunch of friends and broke into a bunch of storage units and took shit. They told him about it and he wanted nothing to do with his cousin after that. Some how him knowing about it got back to the State Attorney’s office and they have tried for a few months to get him to testify but he refused so they just charged him as an accomplice.

His mother is a single mother cleaning rooms at the Pensacola Grand Hotel for the last 10 years. His bond premium (what his mom pays us) was $2,300. She could only come up with 1000 so I still got him out and made a payment plan for her over the next 3 months. I also sent out a group email to some private attorney’s we just happen to know 😉 to see if any are willing to help for little money.

It’s not like the State Attorney’s office does not know who this young man is and what he does. They know exactly what they are doing to him and his future just because he won’t testify against his cousin. I’m just sick inside about it.

WOW… that SUCKS. I can sense your HEART over the internet, my friend. I don’t even know what to say, other than that you a GOOD man. I hope everything works out as best as can happen in this situation. MAN…

February 25, 2018 at 3:23 pm
    Well I said that because some of the discussions seem to be as if they’re locked in already and they are not.
    ———–
    I know, I know, man. And you ARE correct!

There is sometimes a surprise pick as well with a guy who was thought to be in the teens or 20’s and he goes top 10 because a team is in love with him.

ABSOLUTELY. I feel this may be the case with the likes of a Billy Price.

I mean, just as you and I have both observed, Quenton Nelson keeps rising up the boards… as is the case with Billy Price and a few others.

• yeah, kind of like the idiot GM who will convince himself he has the coaches who can make Josh Allen a top qb

Unless Nelson shows some unknown negatives he’ll likely still be the range we keep seeing him in. As for Price he can probably only go up or stay at his original projection of late 1st early 2nd.

• we could possibly see Ward and/or Jackson sneak into the end of the top 10 as well. so, yeah, it’s not cut and dry right now but I still don’t think we’re going to get any of the guys we’ve been discussing.

when all is said and done maybe Ward or Jackson end up being our pick.

Lou, I’m sure there will be a prospect at #11 that can help us if we stay there. Only 10 can go before us and we’ve seen multiple scenarios of different prospects being there. The QBs are going to be the monkey wrench in all of this.

• that may be so. I’m just saying that there’s a strong possibility that any of the guys we’ve been discussing will all be gone by the time we pick.

You know what too, a lot of prospects seem to be all muddled after say the top 7 or 8 counting only two QBs like Darnold and Rosen who seem to be at the top. There will be a solid prospect there for us. Maybe one of the other OL not named Nelson.

Mike E recently asked me what I meant by “killing the Combine”. I stated that by finishing top-3 in all of his positional events (or #1 in a single event by a LOT), THAT’S called “killing the Combine”.

As such, you’re going to see some RISERS… peeps like Mike Gesicki, for example.

These RISERS are the players you want to go back to the tape and further research… especially the relatively ambiguous names: does their athleticism translate? Why did their production suck? Who was throwing them the ball? Who was their coordinator? Etc, etc, etc…

Now in the case of Mike Gesicki (who I predict to kill the Combine), none of the above applies: he already checks ALL the boxes. But for the so-called RISERS that you’ve never heard of before, you want to go back to their tape.

Fastest 40-time in Combine history…

Tape (mind the competition, both for and against) > Production (mind the competition, both for and against) > Bowl Games > Senior Bowl > Combine/Pro Days

One must keep in mind scheme fits to a given Offense/Defense, check up from the neck up (interviews), history, football intellect, health, work ethic/character, and translation to the pro game.

Us fans aren’t privy to the most important of all: CHARACTER, via interviews. Unless one is GLOWING to begin with (see Case Keenum), seldom do we know what’s really going on with one’s character.

25. rich0322 says:

I’m really curious to see what all the TEs do this week. We only got to see some of the seniors at the Bowl game last month.

Then there is the discussion we’ve had before. We see vertical boards in mocks and rankings because in that format someone has to go before the other. That doesn’t mean that #10 is better than say #17. So teams have their horizontal board to choose from.

So let’s say Miami has 14 prospects they are willing to take at #11 with the projection that 8 of them won’t be there when they are up. Now they’re looking at 6 prospects within the next two picks before us and we make our choice from there. Who knows, maybe some guys went before us we didn’t have that high on our board. So don’t view it as nothing left when we’re up because that’s not the case. Also because there is nothing you can do about it. You pick where you pick just like in every other sports draft. That’s where BPA comes in. If you can match BPA to need, great! If not take the guy you clearly think is better than the rest. At the end of the day you want to take a guy who you feel is going to succeed at his position.

• It’s kind of funny but the BPA when we pick could very well be a DT.

If he clearly is some team might want to trade up for him. Lots of teams are looking for interior DL. If not take him. You still have other picks to target some need along the way. If that guy pushes one of our DTs out so be it.

We get too caught up in the 1st rd is the key to everything and it often is not, not just for us, but across the league.

Yet, we passed on Bernie Kosar in favor of Lorenzo Hampton in the ’85 Draft. I think Kosar did FAR better than Hampton ever did. Why didn’t we draft Kosar in ’85?

Oh geez man, way to go back 30+ years. LOL

By the way, you’re making my point for me. We did a ton of reaching for need in that era and that’s why we wasted much of Marino’s prime. People don’t like to hear it but it’s true.

You also need to go read up on how Kosar was drafted in 1985. We did not pass on him.

After posting I thought to myself wait, Kosar would have gone well before we picked. We were coming off the SB in 1984 picking 27th. LOL

27. rich0322 says:

It would be nice if the DL really shined this week. …Maybe a Davenport, Vea, or Hurst could move up. Also, having Cousins go to a team outside the top 10 wouldn’t hurt, along with Tampa and Chicago getting a OG in FA.

February 25, 2018 at 5:01 pm
    Oh geez man, way to go back 30+ years. LOL

————
    I DO think we’re on the same page, but the ol’ STRICT “BPA blueprint” isn’t the greatest of ideas.

• and the more you think about it the more you can say that maybe it’s also not about BPA in the strict sense of the term as much as it is about BPA in terms of the best player you can pick for your team.

you can draft a guy but if you have no idea on how he fits into your plans and how you would use him once you got him then he’s no good to you.

everyone needs to be on the same page because if I’m the GM and I’m taking players for the team and they’re standing on the sidelines instead of being on the field I’m not going to be happy. so my comment to the coaching staff would be “i’m not picking these guys for my health. I expect them to be used, otherwise it’s a waste of all the time and effort our scouting department put into the process and a waste of our team’s resources”.

so everyone needs to be on the same page. the coaches and the guys picking the talent all need to agree that the players they’re choosing are the best ones they can get to help the team and that the coaches are going to take them and do something with them.

• that, IMO, is what happened with Carroo. they said they had a 2nd rd grade on him so he was the best player on the board in their opinion. so they traded up to get him. again, great.

problem with the whole scenario is we didn’t need a wr as we had 3 starters already ahead of him in Landry, Stills and Parker and they had no clue as to how Carroo was going to fit into the scheme of things.

so you have a coaching staff saying “wtf are we supposed to do with this guy when we’ve already got Landry, Stills and Parker? why did they waste a pick on a wide receiver when we’ve already got three starters?” and I believe the coaches didn’t give Carroo the slightest chance to show what he could do.

Carroo has also disappointed. It looks like they missed on that deal. This offseason will prove it one way or the other.

• Carroo has never disappointed when he got the opportunity. So I don’t believe the narrative. I think it’s BS

M13, Kosar was drafted by the Browns in the Supplemental draft. That’s why I said read up on it. If not for draft rules technicalities back then, he would have been a top pick.

Even if I cited a bad example, there’s no REASON to draft the BPA if he’s a QB when ya have DAN MARINO!!!

BPA is WAY over-rated if that player may have to sit behind a perennial Pro-Bowler for years, of course; that’s a waste of a selection.

Take it for what it’s worth, coming from PFT.

If ya didn’t already know, PFT is “Little Mike Florio”… who is factually WRONG more than he’s right. Can’t trust these so-called NBC “reporters” any longer… including Peter King.

Lou, Landry came in and made it hard for the coaches to not play him. Carroo has not done that. You make it seem like his pct. of snaps to production was so great. He’s been out there and not open at times as well. Players earn their playing time. Not always coaches don’t know how to use him.

What is so special about Carroo that he has to be used a certain way? He’s reminding me of Jason Allen. Everyone knew the best position for him so they gave him time at both CB and S. The problem was Allen didn’t know what he was. Good players figure it out. Grant started to show it. He jumped Carroo.

WHY did we trade 3 draft picks (net result) to get Carroo? This is yet ANOTHER EXAMPLE of drafting the “BPA” when ya don’t need him!!!

Dude, slow down. You’re coming off as yelling. You missed what I said earlier and you’re still going on about it.

They liked Carroo enough to do that and it hasn’t panned out. Maybe they wanted a strong 4 WR rotation but we rolled with 3 because there wasn’t a clear #4 until Grant started to step up and make some big plays. Not everything pans out. That was also 3rd rd. Need may get you serviceable and not bad, but you’re going to miss on special if you’re need focused all the time.

Why does matching need to BPA as the paramount always get ignored? LOL

• Tim,
        you always have a reason why something happened but it doesn’t meant that’s the way it was.

I believe they drafted a player as BPA when they went with Carroo and the coaches were trying to win now and save their jobs; make themselves look good so they weren’t going to take a rookie wr and insert him into the lineup over 3 guys who were already established.

maybe it was the thinking of the guys at the top at the time that this is how you do it, just like I’ve been saying for years. you draft the best talent for your team and this gives you the opportunity to get better and then move on from other guys. maybe they wanted to get to the point where they could be so strong on the roster that they could trade away players to get picks or players who could help them at other positions and the coaches fucked them out of their plan.

you don’t know if Carroo was open or not when he was out there and this past year wasn’t going to give him the opportunity to show what he could do either because when you bring in a new qb he’s got to get up to speed with the starters first and that leaves everyone else out in the cold. whey would Cutler be concerned with getting any plays down with Carroo when he had to do what he could to get on the same page with the others?

I’m hoping for a complete gut here. Know it’s not going to happen but I’d rather see what can be done with this team with a “from a ground up build” instead of continuing to hang onto guys HOPING something is going to happens. foolishness.

I’m excited about Grant in 2018.

February 25, 2018 at 6:05 pm
    Dude, slow down. You’re coming off as yelling. You missed what I said earlier and you’re still going on about it…
    ————
    RESULTS, Tim… results. I know you’re not ever trying to throw any player or management under the bus, but RESULTS, my friend.

There is EVERY REASON for the likes of Old Dolfan and Prof Lou (along with OTHERS) to be pessimistic regarding our latest ‘Trifecta’ (Tannenbaum, Grier, and Gase… under the fool Steve Ross). I’m just sayin’…

Omar Kelly@OmarKelly 5m5 minutes ago
    Omar Kelly Retweeted sean meyer
    They can, and I expect that is what they are trying to do.Omar Kelly added,

sean meyer@seanwhite85 @OmarKelly Why can’t the Dolphins just pay Landry, have a good draft, and try to make it back to the playoffs?

LOL, that would be fantastic! 🙂

As fantastic as that would be(!), Omar is LOST.

Why? Isn’t that the plan of every team to somehow keep good players, draft well and be in the playoffs?

You seem to be on a negative rant with no discussion.

Example: I said this at 5:18 pm

“M13, you also take what I mean with BPA too literally sometimes. We knew what we had in Marino after two years. Taking a QB in 1985 in the 1st would not have made much sense at that time. Common sense is also in play here.”

Your replies to me are as if I never said that. I also said teams miss on some moves. We’re not the only team who does that. So a few of those misses voids the good young players? We have a lot of good young players. We also lost our starting QB regardless of what anyone says and had quite a few players on IR. 2018 didn’t go well. This idea that everyone sucks now gets comical.

2018 is a big season for the trio braintrust. But it hasn’t happened yet. We say build through the draft and develop young players so we do that and now it’s not fast enough after two seasons. This current regime has nothing to do with anyone before. Suh yes from Tannenbaum in 2015, but that was the biggest move from the outside the last 3 years. We’re living with that and this team is built with him involved. If 2018 goes sour there will be even bigger changes in 2019. That’s the way it goes.

I said that Omar is LOST.

• Gut the fucking thing. Cut Tannehill, Wake, Suh and Pouncey along with Timmons and Thomas and build it from the ground up.

Mel Brooks, starring as Omar Kelly/Benjamin Allbright (the TWINS, separated at birth)…

Happy Birthday Reshad Jones
    #probowl

37. I’ll tell ya what. If they can sign Bradham, get Price in the 1st and Ragnow in the 2nd and then get at least 1 TE worth something I’ll cool my jets a bit.

• rich0322 says:

The good thing with Price is that he’s a leader, so when the time comes he can replace Pouncey at center and as a team leader.

If we drafted Price at #11 I wouldn’t care. He’s a quality interior O-lineman. It comes down to record, not debates about who and where they were acquired. Results are all that matters. 🙂

• I’d rather a bit of a trade down to get another pick possibly in the 3rd but if we were to get him and he’s the guy we expect/need him to be then, like you said, it really doesn’t matter if it’s at #11 or at #15.

• I realistically do not see them signing a LB in FA though, whether it be Whitehead or Bradham. I think they’re more than happy to go into the season with what we’ve got.

38. naplesfan2010 says:

My first Mock Draft, incl. trades:
    1. Browns – Barkley
    2. Giants – Darnold
    3. Colts – Chubb
    4. Browns – Josh Rosen
    5. Broncos – Josh Allen
    6. Jets – Ridley (got Cousins in FA)
    7. Bucs – Minkah
    8. Dolphins – Nelson from Bears for Landry and our 2nd 4th
    9. Raiders – Roquon
    10. Bills – Mayfield from 49ers plus the Bills’s 3rd rounder
    11. Dolphins – Edmunds
    12. Bengals – McGlinchey
    13. Packers – Denzel Ward
    14. Skins – Davenport, edge rusher
    15. Cards – Lamar Jackson
    16. Ravens – Courtland Sutton

• rich0322 says:

I like it, but I don’t think we would get that much for Landry. Maybe if we traded Landry and our 2nd, we may get the 8th pick. It’s more likely we are looking at an early 2nd straight up for Landry at best.

Dolphins- Hi Jarvis, you’ve just been traded to Da Bears, now sign right here on your franchise contract and you’ll be on your way.

Jarvis: 🖕

Today is Lou’s Bday if you believe what you see on Twitter.

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Nelson, Quenton, OG, Notre Dame (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Andrews, Mark, TE, Oklahoma (A)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Penny, Rashaad, RB, San Diego State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Leonard, Darius, OLB/ILB, South Carolina State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Lewis, Tyquan, DE, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Benkert, Kurt, QB, Virginia (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Bozeman, Bradley, C, Alabama (A-)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Scott, Jaleel, WR, New Mexico State (A+)

Yeah, I guess drawing in eyebrows isn’t a great option, but a tattooed eyebrows aren’t bad, but they probably hurt. You’re right, no ideal solution

45. rich0322 says:

If we don’t keep James, OT might be the way we go early. …again. If Nelson is gone at #11, McGlinchey would be next on my list. Tunsil at LT and McGlinchey at RT wouldn’t be bad at all.

Woohoo!

I don’t think his running style is anything like ajayi’s though

If the Dolphins draft Guice I will probably be oinking alone on what a great pick he is

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    The #Vikings are not expected to franchise tag QB Case Keenum and he’s slated to hit free agency, per sources with knowledge of the team’s thinking. Barring a change of heart, Minnesota joins the fray for a starting QB… and will make these next few weeks fascinating.

47. The Chiefs got a 2018 4th and a 2019 2nd for Peters. According to Matt Miller, Peters only had one team interested in him and that’s why he didn’t net much in the trade.

Landry’s situation should be different. Makes me think we could definitely get that 2nd for him; especially from a team that may think they’re that one guy away on the offensive side. But, who is it?

Peters isn’t a UFA until next year though. Landry is a franchised UFA so a team will have to give up picks and pay him quite a bit. That’s a bit more challenging.

• and if Peters balls out for the Rams and they can’t extend him next yr they gave up two picks for one yr.

if a team trades one pick for Landry and extends him they have him locked in for at least four years afterwards.

all depends on how you look at it. teams want players for all different reasons. the Bears or 49ers could want him to help out their young qb. Same with the Browns. Or some other team could think he’s the missing piece on offense.

You never know who’s going to show up at your door step.

That’s true but teams that trade for players like Peters usually lock them up pretty quick.

What exactly IS up with James’ eyebrows anyway???? You made me spit Pop out my nose with that one MikeE. LOL

Wtf driving the wrong way in the Lincoln tunnel

How?

51. That’s right!!
    Happy Birthday to ME,
    At my age I have trouble holding my pee
    Get the fuck out of my way
    Because I’ve got to go to the bathroom and I’ll push you down.

no, it doesn’t rhyme

Adam Caplan
    @caplannfl
    #Panthers released veteran DE Charles Johnson.

Happy Birthday Lou!

I’ve seen some speculation that the Giants could take Josh Allen at #2. That would be a good team for him to develop behind Eli for a couple of years.

I think they have to go QB. Whether it’s Darnold, Rosen or Allen, it doesn’t matter. Giants probably won’t be picking that high for a long time, at least they hope they aren’t

Yeah they’re definitely taking one of them. They need OL and RB too but they can get that in other rounds.

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero 11m11 minutes ago
    The most important meeting the #Dolphins will have in Indianapolis relative to Jarvis Landry will involve talks with some other team to try trading him. Because that’s what they want to do.

So let’s say this is true. It’s either because of the money, or the money and they don’t want their offense going through a player like him and they’re going in another direction.

I would have to say it’s the money, because they can run the offense however they want. He’s probably not budging on $14M or more, and they don’t want to go there.

• what the hell does money have to do with it? lol

I don’t think Landry is one of those guys who’s okay not getting what he considers his fair share of targets/touches. Not that I think that’s a bad thing, but it’s similar to Ajayi and not all coaches want me type players. Gase seems to be one of those coaches.

• I agree with that Tim. I think the thing that will determine where Landry goes is the money along with how he’ll be used in the offense. If he’s going to get his touches it’s a definite plus. Especially if he’s traded he’s going to want to prove to everyone he’s better than what he was able to show in Miami.

Landry will keep getting his targets if he stays here. I doubt that is a concern. My bet: it’s all about the money for him. This could be his one chance to get a mega deal, and I bet he thinks he’s worth it. Can’t fault the guy for it, but the team still has to do what’s right for them.

• He’ll get targets but I don’t think he’s going to be getting the touches he’s used to getting. I truly believe they want the offense to go in a different direction and that’s probably one of the reasons they don’t want to pay him the money he’s looking for because he’s looking at a somewhat diminished role.

That’s the feeling I’ve had for awhile now. I’m a Landry fan but also made my case about not paying not just him, but a lot of WRs huge contracts because it’s the most abundant position. We may not replace Landry, but we may spread it around more and hopefully utilize a TE in the plan.

• I believe that’s the plan too. If we get a TE who’s a threat in the passing game and we get a run game going we’re probably going to see the ball be spread around a lot more and probably some more intermediate type stuff instead of all that short stuff.

Agree with Randy 100% . This is not a matter of touches Landry here or else where. This is Landry’s one big chance for a payday. He is hitting his prime he will never be more valuable than he is right now so he is going to try to do everything he can to maximize that contract

The touches were about us not wanting to make him the focus of the offense like he has been. He’s definitely looking for his payday, but sounds like we don’t value him that way. He does though and he wants the ball a lot. He’s complained before about not getting it enough just like Ajayi when they were getting it plenty. I don’t think Gase is into that.

The book on the TEs in this draft is good pass catchers, those matchup guys but with low blocking grades. They’re going to be used as big receivers and we need one.

I think Piggy would fart if we drafted Guice at #11 and got us one of those them there TEs in the 2nd or 3rd. LOL

Prof Lou,

Happy B-Day, Brother! Enjoy the rest of your day!

Happy birthday Prof Lou

OMG! LOL

This from the article above about the Jet’s player driving the wrong way in the tunnel

“Donahue is the second Jet to be arrested this offseason, after WR Robby Anderson was stopped driving 105 mph in a 45 zone and threatened to fuck the officer’s wife and “nut in her eye.”

I am pretty sure the officer showed admirable restraint. (Anderson is still alive)

I don’t believe that we’ve ever “planned” to target Jarvis as much as we have over the last 4 years… and I don’t believe that we’d “plan” to target him any less, the same, or more in the future.

I think that when Tannehill or Cutler panicked (playing behind swiss cheese O-Lines), they knew that Jarvis was always going to be open underneath. As such, I feel that Jarvis truly is an incredible slot-receiver.

Remember entering last season how most of Phins Nation thought Jarvis was going to lose a lot of targets to DeVante with Cutler’s missile-launcher? Welp… our O-Line didn’t help us AT ALL. Routes couldn’t develop when our QB was always hearing footsteps coming for him, so ya get rid of the ball ASAP to an open receiver underneath the coverage… his name is JARVIS.

There’s been one beneficiary for our woeful O-Lines over the last 4 years… JARVIS. Our O-Line wasn’t terrible in ’16, and you can see the results in Jarvis’ YPR: 12.1 (career high). Albert- Tunsil- Pouncey- Bushrod- James actually gave Tannehill a chance to get the ball out at a reasonable rate of time, coupled with a Pro-Bowl RB in Jay Ajayi to keep Defenses honest.

I don’t believe we planned to target Jarvis so much, rather we failed to plan an adequate O-Line to protect our QB. And oh yeah… our YPC went down SUBSTANTIALLY from ’16 to ’17. JMO

FIX THE BLOODY O-LINE!!! “PROTECT THE ‘HILL”!!!

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    February 25, 2018 at 9:28 pm
    I’ll tell ya what. If they can sign Bradham, get Price in the 1st and Ragnow in the 2nd and then get at least 1 TE worth something…
    —————
    You are SO in my head, Bro!!! That would be PERFECT for us, and Bradham won’t break the bank.

We need an excellent coverage LB in the WORST way, and I’ll be ecstatic if we can come away with either of Bradham, Roquan Smith, or Skai Moore.

Of course you already know I have a HUGE MAN CRUSH on Frank Ragnow and Billy Price.

IF we could either get an additional 2nd round pick to address TE or have a nice TE fall into our laps in the 3rd round, we’ll be MUCH better on Offense in 2018.

Good post!!!

————-
    That was HUGE news this afternoon when the Vikes said they won’t franchise Case Keenum. So Case will likely enter FA, and a top-10 team might try to sign him.

And in another scenario… the Vikes don’t land Kirk Cousins, Case is now jaded/jilted, and TWO of the top-10 teams sign them.

FA just got VERY INTERESTING for how the Draft will pan out!!!

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Smith, Roquan, ILB/OLB, Georgia (A)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Daniels, James, C/OG, Iowa (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Penny, Rashaad, RB, San Diego State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Gesicki, Mike, TE, Penn State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Miller, Kolton, OT, UCLA (A)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Benkert, Kurt, QB, Virginia (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Apke, Troy, SS, Penn State (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Ostman, Joe, DE/OLB, Central Michigan (A-)

Let’s say we really want to be a good running team – new OC Loggains who likes to run it, OL coach Washburn who coached with him in CHI and new RB coach and running game coordinator Studesville from DEN who coached with Gase there, would you guys be upset if we took:
    1. RB Guice
    2. OL/TE (name)
    3. TE/OL (name)

Happy birthday Lou🎂

February 26, 2018 at 7:57 pm
    1. RB Guice
    2. OL/TE (name)
    3. TE/OL (name)
    —————–
    I don’t like it… AT ALL (with apologies to Pig). I really like Guice as well, but we needn’t a RB in the 1st round. For all we know, maybe even Saquon could bust with our current O-Line. JMO

I would say go ahead and get Guice in the first if he’s the best talent on the board!

IMHO he won’t be unless we trade down to say mid 20’s

223: R7P5
    LB DORIAN O’DANIEL
    CLEMSON
    229: R7P11
    RB KAMRYN PETTWAY
    AUBURN

If interest in Guice is a smokescreen the Dolphins are truly cruel to pigkind

February 26, 2018 at 8:26 pm
    I don’t know when he was drafted but I looked at LB and he was gone in the 4th so I took Bozeman
    ————
    Okay! Just wanted to make sure you and I were still on the Skai Moore train, bud! 🙂

I’m looking at it from a point a view if that’s what the team wants to do on offense, not what we would do. We were rumored to be interested in Elliot back in 2016.

According to NFL.com
    Nelson is a 7.4

Everyone else in the draft will be a 6.1 to a 5.4

Sounds like you can pick who you like because they are all graded pretty close?

Yeah that’s why mocks have Nelson going 7-9 a lot.

We could go OL maybe even two from 2-4 or later. By then we’ll see if we added one in FA as well. I think Larsen and Davis are in the mix whether we like it or not.

I think Gase wants to be more explosive both on the ground and in the passing game.

• well, I don’t know how he plans on being more explosive if Larsen and Davis are two of the starters on the offensive line.

we need to get at least 2 young guys on the line thru the draft. if we suck this year with two rooks starting then so be it. if one starts and it takes half a year or year for the other to start and either Larsen or Davis is starting in their place then so be it. we’re going to suck anyway.

so in either case we’re going to suck on the o-line for at least another year. take your lumps now and get 2 rooks you have rated highly on your board and put them out there and have them ready for yr two.

75. So the scenario, IMO, seems to be that the team has every intent of trading Landry and they want to meet with his agent in Indy for the purpose of putting a deal together should there be a taker and be as ready as possible. They want to be ready on the first day of the new year to get that money off the cap so they can go into FA with some money to spend and not have it taking up cap space.

So, again, IMO they are moving as quickly as they can here to try and get a trade deal in place and possibly try and have that deal done by the time the combine concludes so they KNOW what they’re going to be able to do come free agency.

Skia is one of many late round LB’s and DE’s that the medicals at the combine are going to be huge for!

Moore is the rare bird in college football: a four-year leader in tackles. The long and lean inside linebacker expected to reach that feat in 2016, but a herniated disc in his neck required surgery, ending his fourth year before it began

Now you can run the ball Piggy!

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Nelson, Quenton, OG, Notre Dame (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Hernandez, Will, OG, Texas-El Paso (A)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Penny, Rashaad, RB, San Diego State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Gesicki, Mike, TE, Penn State (A+)

And by the way Guice was available in the 3rd!

You should have taken him

Nelson is imo the right pick if Guice is in the board
        I’m just saying he might be gone and I’m not real big on any of the other OL prospects

If at 11 Nelson, Smith and Edmunds are all gone – why not Guice

78. gee you look at Guice running the ball and we HAD that in Ajayi who we used a 5th rd pick on and now we’re going to use a 1st to get Ajayi back on the team?

Guice is probably a much better asset in the passing game

But I hear you in that criticism

I don’t think I mention RB at all but for the Ajayi trade

Just throwing different scenarios out there instead of the same old stuff. Drake had 32 receps in less than half a season of increased playing time. He could have 60+ in 2018. A faster Terry Kirby.

Drake will be even better if he shares the load

I don’t know why he had so few carries early this season before the Ajayi trade
      But I suspect if we draft a RB high, Drake is still a big part of the offense

Probably a close split. Some games one guy 16-18 and the other 10-12 and vice versa. Drake can be used split out wide too. That dude is fast.

Guys,

There’s a HUGE difference between what one WANTS to happen and what one THINKS will happen.

Example: I WANTED the Eagles to win the Super Bowl, but I THOUGHT the Patsies* would win.

So here ya go…

I (really!) WANT Jarvis to stay with us, but I THINK we’re shopping him to the highest bidder.

Ajayi and Jarvis BOTH butted heads with Adam Gase, and it’s WELL documented. If we can get a 2nd rounder and some change for him, I’d be willing to bet it’s a done deal.

AGAIN (for those of y’all in Rio Linda)… I don’t WANT this to happen(!!!), but I’m tellin’ y’all, it’s most likely to happen.

• honestly, if we can get a 2nd for him, it’s what I’d rather have happen then sign him to a huge contract. if we’re looking at diversifying this offense, which IMO is what we need to do if we’re going to move the ball more consistently and score more points, than Landry’s role in the offense is going to be somewhat diminished and then he becomes less valuable.

I don’t want the team tying up cap space on a guy who is going to become less of a part of the offense than he was before he got paid.

I don’t see the way they’re using him on offense changing. if we start running the ball more effectively and using play action and we get a pass catching threat at TE I don’t see us sending Landry down the middle of the field or having him run more intermediate routes than he ran in the past just because of it.

I still see him being the short, underneath guy for the most part with the occasional intermediate route in there.

so, we’ve got a couple of guys in Morgan and Ford who could take up some of that if we have the other pieces in place.

I have no idea what anyone is thinking!
      So I don’t have an informed opinion!

That’s been the vibe for quite some time now.

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    February 26, 2018 at 9:19 pm
    honestly, if we can get a 2nd for him, it’s what I’d rather have happen then sign him to a huge contract…
    ———
    I believe that’s the same thinking of our FO… love ’em or hate ’em.

Different ways to view the RB position and how to acquire them. You could draft a Devonta Freeman in the 4th and end up paying him a five-year, $41.25 million contract extension, or draft a talented back 1st rd and get him on a rookie deal for 5 years. Just trying to look at things differently than repeat the same stuff. LOL

I can appreciate that. Don’t agree, but I DO appreciate the “outside-the-box” thinking, man.

• everyone has their way of looking at things and doing things. some teams probably feel they CAN’T do better at a certain position picking someone in the draft so they end up signing a player they have on the roster to an extension.

I don’t know if there’s just one right way to do things or if there’s more than one way to do things but in order to be consistent you’ve got to have some sort of a plan to work from rather than just reacting to things as they come and the latter is what it appears this team does too often.

You have to think Gase inherited a team in 2016 did a good job, didn’t totally like the makeup, we made a lot of changes last offseason and had a lot of bad shit happen too. This is the phase of year three. He wants his kind of team and may need different personnel to be where he wants it. He was aggressive with coaching changes.

Again at the end of the day it all comes down to wins and losses. That’s what defines if you were right or wrong.

84. ElephantRider says:

There’s a Cordrea Tankersley at the combine?

• ElephantRider says:

Lmao

Just flipped it on and saw Tankersley……came back to the room and realized it is last year. Lol

I did almost the same thing last night. I was wondering why DB’s were going first when they always go last. Then I started seeing guys I recognized from last year.

Mayock thinks Vita Vea is going to run a sub 5.0 40. It doesn’t mean anything for a DT, but at 342 lbs, it would be pretty impressive. He also thinks 6 QB’s might go RD 1. I hope so, that will leave some nice talent for us at #42

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    With the March looming and some murkiness around #Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater’s contract, he is expected to be a free agent, sources say. Minnesota is not planning to assert that his contract tolls and Bridgewater is proceeding as if he’s a free agent.

I don’t know how I missed this, I’ve read his scouting reports a few times. LB Tremaine Edmunds is former Dolphins TE Ferrel Edmunds son. That’s pretty cool, the boy belongs here!

Run the BALL!
    11: R1P11 G QUENTON NELSON, NOTRE DAME
    42: R2P10 TE MARK ANDREWS, OKLAHOMA
    73: R3P9 LB DARIUS LEONARD, SOUTH CAROLINA STATE
    111: R4P11 C FRANK RAGNOW, ARKANSAS
    130: R4P30 RB ROYCE FREEMAN, OREGON
    183: R6P9 FB DIMITRI FLOWERS, OKLAHOMA
    223: R7P5 S GODWIN IGWEBUIKE, NORTHWESTER
    229: R7P11 EDGE JUSTIN LAWLER, SMU

Wife and I went to a “zooligical park” South of Miami yesterday. It was really cool, including the chance to interact with lots of exotic animals on a one on one basis. Got to play with young otters, various primates, a leopard cub, etc….and when they tell you sloths are slow they are right.

But there were signs the place was a little different. Gated entrance, on just five acres with a residence included, armed security, etc. Just did a google and learned that the guy the guides called “the owner” was a drug king pin back in the Miami Vice days. He got sentenced to a 100 years behind bars but only served 12 cause he decided to flip. And after he got out he set the place up (and no indication of it not being 100% legit).

Cespedes! hits a spring training HR and is now injured. LMAO! So much for the no more 800lb bear squats and now doing yoga to reduce the chance of injury. That guy won’t ever play more than 130 games. I think I’d be happy if he can play 130

Stanger – Dana would probably like it, but I’m allergic, which kinda screws the whole thing up. If it’s outdoors though, I’d probably be fine

Most of it is outdoors, but some of it is inside when you get the meet and greet with the kids of the bigger ones you see on the property. But if you say Dana only might like it, then probably not worth the trip. It is a pretty good drive.

No, I would like it too, but I’m allergic. I’ll never forget we went to Medieval Times in NJ, didn’t even think about my allergies, by the time I got out, I could barely breathe.

Stanger:
    Sounds like a cool place. I definitely want to check that out. Plus there’s a little bit of a1980s Miami Vice drug kingpin in me somewhere I am sure

Sonny – So what did they say on NFLN?

Probably the same story that gets regurgitated over and over.

Gase loves Tannehill
      We’re trading Landry but it will be a tough deal to make
      We have a lot of needs and will have more when cuts start
      We need a linebacker, a guard, a TE, runningback and more “the show isn’t long enough to list” (of course that gets thrown in)

Don’t think we need a LB or even a RB. It’s more like we’d like to add more talent at those positions. Need means you don’t really have any talent at a position. However we do need a G and TE.

Gase loves Tannehill = We’re drafting a QB at #11

Cool stuff!

Charles Harris @Charles_AO1 7h7 hours ago
    Just closed on my mothers crib… a feeling that cannot be formulated with words

97. ElephantRider says:

Mando says a 3rd for Landry?
    Just get a deal done….

Lou, Tannehill was projected to go possibly top 10 or by 15 or so. That’s not a reach. That’s your negative opinion about him coming out. Some people liked Tannehill more than RGIII. I remember that draft and what the discussions were. This was before he was a Dolphin by the way so don’t use the Tannehill homer thing on me. This was strictly pre-draft discussions. Just like it is now.

• I know what the discussions were and Tannehill was hyped by a lot of people just like others were hyped. Just because he was hyped to go in the 1st rd doesn’t mean he wasn’t a reach. It was up to the team to do their homework on him and make their own decision rather than listening to all the talking heads out there.

They didn’t do their homework and they chose to go with him at #8. Had they done their homework properly there’s no way they could have arrived at the conclusion that he was worth a top ten pick. NO WAY.

• Tim,
      Face it. For the results we’ve gotten to this point in terms of our record we could have taken Foles later and gotten the same results. We didn’t need to take Tannehill in the first to accomplish nothing over 6 years.

99. Someone on Twitter said earlier today that Carolina is in win-now mode because Newton’s not getting any younger and they need a wr like Landry. Imagine if we traded Landry to Carolina and then they won the SB. We’d be 2-0.

100. ElephantRider says:

Taking RT17 @ 8 still beats the hell out of the Fuckface pick! Lol
    Or quite a few others in recent memory….

Lou, reality and the football world according to Lou are two different things. I’m not into hearing you repeat why you don’t like Tannehill. That wasn’t the discussion but you can’t control yourself. LOL

• The reality is these guys out there talk up guys every year and they get themselves to believe the bullshit spewing from their mouths and then you’ve got incompetent people at the head of some of the teams who listen to those guys and go for it.

That’s REALITY Tim. Like it or not. This year’s guy is Josh Allen. Only one guy I’ve seen so far who said that every qb who’s had his issues coming out never did anything in the NFL but all the others think he can be fixed. Because he’s got a strong arm. LMAO!!

February 27, 2018 at 7:55 pm
    I get that, it just doesn’t seem fair, but you’re right, we’re gonna have to eat it.
    ———–
    It TOTAL seems unfair. Jarvis is worth AT LEAST an early 2nd rounder. I mean, we spent a 2nd rounder to get him and he’s outperformed his Draft status by FAR.

I wouldn’t part ways with him unless we got a 1st rounder, if the idea is to trade him. But like ER stated above, I’d rather just get a deal done to retain him.

Lou – Maybe Tannehill at #8 wasn’t really the mistake, they never got the O-line right, we had a horrible stable of WR’s when he was drafted, and they made desperate moves, we had an awful HC, it was just a disaster all over the place.

• ElephantRider says:

He wasnt supposed to play….supposed to sit and develop.
      Nothing has gone to “plan” for this team

• It was a mistake because when you draft a guy at #8 to be your qb you’re expecting that the guy is going to project to be the type of player who can win games for you with his arm and Tannehill isn’t that type of qb. He needs too much around him.

In hindsight all true. 2012 Ireland put together the worst group of WRs you could meaning 4-5 deep. We had two Bess and Hartline. Then in 2013 he tried to fix that and blew up the OL. Heading into 2014 we had Pouncey. Hickey had to spend most of his time on the OL. We’re still feeling that. We didn’t have a group to build on, we had a center. We also missed on mid round guys. It is what it is but it gets ignored quite often.

M – No question, signing him to a fair deal would be my choice, but if I had to pick a 3rd RD pick or having him play for us on the tag with no shot at ever signing him, I’d take the 3rd RD pick. I don’t think the Dolphins want to go beyond $13M per, which I believe is correct, but Jarvis doesn’t agree.

I’m not sure that playing on the tag would jeopardize signing Jarvis long-term. It might not make financial sense for us to do that, but I don’t believe that it would be an automatic ‘adios’ after the year is over.

However, history is on the side of parting ways after playing on the tag.

• Everyone knows the team isn’t going to keep Landry on the tag and if he’s not traded the tag is going to be rescinded. Only way he’s signed long-term is if his terms change and that’s probably not happening.

The interesting thing will be if there’s a team that wants him bad enough to not allow him to hit the open market in fear of them having to get into a bidding war. That’s where we could get maybe a 2nd for him; if he agrees to a contract with the other team.

• And that’s the one thing we’ve got going for us that the Chiefs didn’t with Peters. There was only one team interested in him, whereas, we’ve got a few teams who are interested in Landry. So that could work in our favor when it comes to the compensation part.

It wouldn’t jeopardize that, but there’s a gap between what the FO thinks Jarvis is worth, and what he thinks, and playing another year isn’t going to change that IMO

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    February 27, 2018 at 8:21 pm
    who exactly was he supposed to sit behind?
    ———
    David Garrard. But if I recall correctly, I think Tannehill was named the winner of the QB competition before Garrard got hurt in his pool with his kid.

Anyone remember how that went down?

We could have had Keuchley and Cousins.

We took Tannehill, Martin and Eggballs

Prof Lou, are you a “TanneHATER”? LOL

108. ElephantRider says:

Maybe 1 thing we all can agree on is that Phins should be taking QB somewhere in the draft.

We should write a woulda shoulda coulda song so everyone can get it out of their system. LOL

Whatever gets your rocks off King Louie.

Prof Lou,

What round would you take Benkert?

I don’t think anyone knows what the front office is going to do so stating anything in an absolute is just speculation!

of course that’s just MHFO

Thanks for the reminder about David Garrard guys

Why don’t you just post pics of pig roasts if you want to rub salt in my wounds

Didn’t garrard hurt himself playing in the pool with his kids or something like that? Wtf!?!?!

The combine and FA sneaking up on us, almost here. That will be a nice change of discussion. 😉

Could be Lou!
    But you going to turn on the new guy after a couple of losses?

• All depends on who it is. If we stay at #11 and pick a qb just for the sake of getting another one in the 1st rd and it’s some guy who’s going to need 4 yrs to develop then I’ll just go root for Philly. lol

But, seriously, If we’re going to be aggressive as the piece states, although I don’t think Landry plus our #11 is going to get us into the top 5, we’re getting either Darnold, Mayfield or Rosen and I’ll be good with any of the 3. My biggest concern is the lack of cap and what else it may cost us in terms of draft capital we have this year that could be used to help the team.

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    February 27, 2018 at 8:50 pm
    I’d say no later than the 4th right now but by the time the draft rolls around I think he’s going to be in more conversations.
    ————-
    At the moment, the 4th round sounds really good to me for Benkert.

I need to look at some other QBs that aren’t projected to go the first two days of the Draft, and Benkert will be one of them, for sure.

I’m still high on Logan Woodside as a 7th rounder… he’s good great tools to work with and that VERY quick release. If anybody can bring out the best in him (or ANY QB, for that matter), it’s Adam and Clyde.

Boom!

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 11: Nelson, Quenton, OG, Notre Dame (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 10: Andrews, Mark, TE, Oklahoma (A)
    Round 3 Pick 9: Penny, Rashaad, RB, San Diego State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 11: Leonard, Darius, OLB/ILB, South Carolina State (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Lewis, Tyquan, DE, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 9: Benkert, Kurt, QB, Virginia (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Matthews, Tray, SS, Auburn (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 11: Bozeman, Bradley, C, Alabama (A)

HEY MANITOBA!! –Watched your boy Hendricks score a goal for the Jets against the Predators.–This game, between two likely playoff teams, certainly has a chippy side to it. The Preds’ PK Subban already got involved in one arm swinging scrum, and it likely won’t be his last one tonight.–I’d sure like to see the 3rd period but father time says “NO!” –Hope you and your special lady are enjoying this game. And, BTW, the size 8 Jets hat fits perfectly, now that my hair cut is shorter for the upcoming highs in the mid-80’s.
    ——-
    Lightning fans very pleased with the acquisition of star defenseman Ryan McDonagh from the Rangers just before the trading deadline. Locals yawning at the opening of spring training for the ultra low budget Rays. First place Lightning dominating local sports interest. Y’all have a great evening!

122. ElephantRider says:

Remember…Landry is in the driver’s seat. He still has all the say where he’s going…

Nope! If he doesn’t sign it he sits out for a year and gets nothing. That’s not really control.

• ElephantRider says:

I’m talking about this trade talk nonsense.
        I’m sure he will be more than happy playing in Miami for 16M.

Yes, but he doesn’t control the situation. The team does. That’s why if a team jumps up and offers him the contract he wants and he we say no, we get two 1st round picks. How does Landry decide anything?

123. ElephantRider says:

Huh?

If he signs with another team, that’s his decision. If he chooses not to “sign and trade” that’s his decision too. He only runs out of his decisions if everything runs it’s course and nothing happens. Then Phins can rescind tag….still kinda Landry controlling his landing spot.

If he never signs he’s not part of the league. He has no team. He’s being forced to accept something. The CBA agreed to this. Bad move on their part.

• ElephantRider says:

I get that part. I also think he’s more than happy playing for 16M. Big issue is no security. I agree they messed up on the tag for players. I’m sure they got something they wanted to give that up.

I’m sure it’ll be addressed on the next lock out/strike. Lol

Cool, man. 🙂

OD : ya missed a helluva 3rd period, end result sucked but was a helluva game.. im pretty stoked with us picking up Stastny.. looked great on our new all Skandinavian line with Ehlers and Laine , he also Killed it in the face off circle.. things looking good here .. hope to see us vs Tampa in Finals.

Condolences on the passing of yer greyhound.. it sucks , we had to put our two special girls down over the last 3 years.. wife brought home another one three months after we had given all the kennels and crap away , so we started all over..

Glad to see yer Missus is feeling better as well ..
    Go Phins !!! Go (Winnipeg) Jets !!

125. rich0322 says:

This is interesting.

…proposals offered by the NFL Competition Committee.

-change the penalty for defensive pass interference from a spot foul to a 15-yard penalty at most.

-increase illegal contact calls.

-eliminating the going to the ground portion of a catch in an attempt to clarify.

-changing the targeting rule.

-emphazing more ejections for fighting.

-Josh McDaniels rule, allowing teams to hire coaches even when still active in playoffs.

I don’t love “increase illegal contact” calls

Is that a safety concern? Doesn’t seem to be on its face.
      The nfl should be taking steps not to over officiate games

126. DeSean Jackson finally talked about Chip Kelly after all these years and called him a “weirdo”. lol

127. How about Cam Wake and DeVante Parker to Jacksonville for Dawuane Smoot and Carroll Phillips? Gives the Jags a wr for Bortles to work with and a possible pass rusher that may help put them over the top this year and we get something for Wake rather than just cutting him whether it be this year or next and also get two young defenders on their rookie contracts.

128. Rhino says:

I “pop in” periodically, so just now reading about your surgery, Ken. Wishing you all the best! These things are certainly as difficult emotionally as they are physically. Take care of yourself.

129. Rhino says:

Was reading the reports on Kirk Cousins…. every time I hear that name I think back to 2012 draft, specifically how MF13 sold me on Kirk Cousins in the 2nd round rather than taking a QB in 1st since the one’s we wanted would have been gone. Then Tanny happened at #8. lol Cousins certainly isn’t perfect, but he’s been a great “value” up to this point, imo. But I don’t think the $100million talk is a good idea.

And to think… I wanted Case Keenum more than ANY of them in the ’12 Draft! Only Russell Wilson has made it further than Case’s NFC Championship game run.

ER – I want to discuss this Landry situation with you. When you say Landry would be more than happy to play for MIA for $16.2M, I think that’s the furthest from the truth. Why do you think players get upset when they get the franchise tag? They want a multi year deal with a lot more guaranteed money. Not that $16.2M sucks or anything, but he’s looking for close to a $60M deal with like $40M guaranteed. I don’t think either party really has any leverage. If the Dolphins are able to find a team that’s willing to give Landry his price, or close to it, then that’s a win for Landry. If for some reason the Dolphins can’t get what they’re looking for in compensation, and don’t want to make the trade, maybe Landry decides to go back to the table with MIA, and make a deal for say $13.25M per year for 4YR’s, so 4YR $53M contract, with say 35M guaranteed.

Think about it, he’s coming off of his best season TD wise, he’s not going to do much better than he did last season. His YPR might improve if we, or some other team uses him a little differently, but he’s not going to catch more passes or TD’s than he did last season. I’m not saying it’s cut and dry, and he might just do what you say, sign the tag in July, but if he thinks he’s worth that $14.5M annual salary, you’d think he’d roll the dice to see what interest there is in him, rather than just settle for the 1 YR salary of $16.2M, which if he gets injured, completely screws up the rest of his plan.

———-
    Another QB enters FA

The Panthers sure do seem to be clearing cap space…

rich0322 says:
    February 28, 2018 at 11:16 am
    He’s a monster!!!

Would you use Landry to try and trade up with Chicago or TB to get him???
    ————
    I don’t think I could trade up for a non-skill positional player… especially a Guard. But dammit… in the case of Quenton Nelson, I’m very tempted.

Traditional wisdom would tell ya, NO WAY do you trade up from R1P11 to take a GUARD in the top-10.

I wouldn’t do it… and then I might hate myself for the next 15 years.

Here’s a deal that I could see playing out… and I’m NOT endorsing as much…

We trade R1P11, Jarvis Landry, and either our ’19 2nd or 3rd round pick to move up to R1P4 (Browns). And I think the ONLY way we’d make such a deal is to get the best QB available in this QB-rich class.

M, rgs – Last night they were discussing the Panthers situation at WR, and they all felt the Panthers would have very little interest in trading for Landry, that they will turn to the draft for their WR. It was Gil Brandt and Alex Marvez, along with another guest I can’t recall.

I agree with Brandt and Marvez. They can get a VERY good WR @ R1P24 in this Draft class. They’d be wise to secure their O-Line in re-signing Norwell.

He was a very good player for the Bears, a great receiving RB. Probably a better receiver than pure runner, but he was a pretty good runner as well.

NEW BLOG UP!