Wedge Scouting Report: Harold Landry, Boston College

It’s not all fun and games  all the time destroying lifeforms across the universe.  Sometimes, the photon bomb you unleash doesn’t do the job – and there are still useless lifeforms left on the planet.

Well that’s when you bust out the planet grinder for the finishing touches

planetgrinder

It’s like a great pass rusher finishing off an offense – Harold Landry can finish off an offense.

HaroldLandry5

The Positives:  Let’s start with Landry’s very impressive 2016 season, 16.5 sacks, 22 tackles for a loss and one interception.  Landry wreaked havoc in the ACC in 2016.  Some scouts will argue that Landry is the 2nd best pass rusher in the 2018 draft after Chubb.

Landry kills offensive tackles with an explosive first step.  His initial burst rivals some of the NFL’s best pass rushers.  He gets around the tackle, turns his hips at the QB and closes quickly.  He’s got a non-stop motor and makes a lot of effort plays as well.

He’s also very good against the run – making him one of the nation’s most disruptive defenders.

HaroldLandry4

The Negatives:  Size.   Landry projects as a 4-3 DE in the NFL, but for his size.  At Boston College, Landry played with his hand in the ground most of the time, but it seems like a lot of scouts are calling him an OLB giving Landry the tweener moniker.

Landry actually did drop in coverage at Boston College so he can play OLB in a 3-4 defense but in a 4-3, where he might be more comfortable, to play DE, he might have to put on a little weight without sacrificing his speed.

Landry only played in 8 games last year and was nowhere as productive as he was in 2016 (only 5 sacks).

HaroldLandry6

The Alien Dust:   Pass rushers are like jello – there is always room for them.  This athletic pass rusher reminds me a lot of Cameron Wake.  And that might be who he replaces if the Dolphins draft him.

In my opinion, if the Dolphins want to focus on defense for a second year in a row, a pick like Landry in the first round makes a lot of sense.  The Dolphins would have their young bookend pass rushers in place for the next few years with a move like that.

If you can’t build your OL in the draft, maybe you can draft guys who destroy other OLs.

NCAA Football: Central Michigan at Boston College

Whether his team is down by 20 or up by 20 he is playing hard.  This guy is a finisher.  That is why Landry is like the Planet Grinder.

LandryGrinder

Check out his highlights!

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

640 Responses to Wedge Scouting Report: Harold Landry, Boston College

March 6, 2018 at 2:52 pm
    …We will have more cap once we resolve some other issues.
    —————-
    Like what, gutting half of our players as Prof Lou has suggested?

If ‘the cap will work itself out’, what’s to keep us from signing 3 more high-priced FAs? This isn’t baseball… you MUST be under the cap!

Landry, James, Thomas and Timmons along with some other lesser priced players and restructures. Happens all the time. I don’t think we’ll be big players in FA anyway.

Are you really that worried about the cap? You know Thomas and Timmons are gone, and it’s almost sure that Landry is gone, and then maybe we have some restructuring to do with a player or two. You know it’s going to get done, why stress?

That’s what I’m trying to say to him. We haven’t been big players in the outside FA market the last two years. We’ve mostly re-signed our own and added a few stopgaps.

At least the 3 we have always said were cuts!

Wyo – Are you considered the general public? Can’t you say you’re a scout for Finsmobunleashed? Should we get you a press pass?

Do you really think it’s almost certain that landry is gone Mike?

Bc I don’t
    I think there is a good chance he plays for the Dolphins in ‘18 under the tag

I can’t see him playing under the tag.

I really do Piggy – I don’t think either side wants that to happen. It seems to me the Dolphins really don’t want Landry, so why keep him another year, where he won’t be happy, and we probably won’t be either. I think the only way he stays here if he signs a long term deal at about $13M per or less. I don’t think there’s a shot he plays on the tag

Also if you are looking for cap room
    Don’t forget about Pouncey

Restructure, I don’t see us releasing him.

Same effect
        Except you need to pay him something

I think the dead money was around 2m if I recall (for a straight up cut)
        So you can work with that

But paying 10m is kind of stupid

I see a few of you are citing “restructures”. First of all, that’s not always to the player and his agent’s liking. Second of all, it kicks the ‘$$$ can’ down the road, putting us in future financial ruin.

Yeah, we CAN restructure any player’s contract (even against their will), but we risk alienating both the player and his agent (not to mention future FAs we may want to acquire), and then we have the same cap problems NEXT year TIMES TWO.

I think Tannenbaum is on the cusp of undoing ALL of the great things that Dawn Aponte had done for us. Maybe I’m right, maybe I’m wrong… but I don’t like where Tannenbaum is going, what with his track record.

You forget other contracts have outs in future years. Nobody is signed for 6-8 years.

Nah, I didn’t forget that. And that’s why GUARANTEED $$$ is the most important matter.

I can SEE what Tannenbaum is doing… buying up debt from other teams in the hope that we can rejuvenate their careers, while paying far less in guarantees. But it’s also costing us draft picks (aka: rookie labor contracts). It’s as if he doesn’t trust our scouting department.

Because he traded one of two 4th rd picks? There are 19 players still on the team from the last 3 drafts. We also have a few UDFAs.

Also Quinn had 8.5 sacks last year.

Wyo – Damn, I forgot you’re in Texas. WTF! You deceptive SOB!

Mike and Tim

I get what you are saying
    But Landry is the one guy I beleive will still play with the same level of motivation under the tag

I think short of a trade he is here in 2018

And I don’t think it pays to trade him for peanuts
    And I’m not sure anyone offers too much
    So I think he’s probably here in 2018 even without deal in the franchise tag

And then there is always the chance he accepts 13.5M given the lack of interest from anyone in paying him more

M – Two things man

1) While Aponte was great at the cap, what did it ever do for our team?

2) While I hate T-Bomb’s “Tradey-Pants” style, I think he fully understands how to work the cap, and he’ll get that taken care of.

So some of you are worried about the cap because of what we’re paying some players, but then you wish we had more cap so we can sign more players to lucrative contracts. Got it! Well not really. LOL

March 6, 2018 at 3:17 pm
    M – Two things man

1) While Aponte was great at the cap, what did it ever do for our team?

————-
    1) Aponte NEVER got us into “cap hell”… not in the then present, nor the future.

2) I don’t trust Tannenbaum, what with his track record. And the present scares the $#!t outta me!

I get that with Aponte, but still, what did it ever do for our team? We’re not in cap hell, we need to shed some dead weight, and we will.

^

That’s all contingent upon your definition of “dead weight”…

Suh isn’t dead weight
        Tannehill isn’t dead weight
        Reshad isn’t dead weight
        MR. Wake isn’t dead weight
        Kiko isn’t dead weight
        Stills isn’t dead weight

Where do ya start trimming the fat… AFTER we release Julius Thomas and Lawrence Timmons?

Landry is for all intents and purposes dead weight because I think he’s gone. $16.2M gone. Poof!

Sorry, make the $15.98M gone

Ok so I’ll tell the wife I have to fly to Laramie Friday for the Blog!
    I’m sure she will see it our way?

RIP!
    The Misnomering SOB

THIS proves my point about Tannenbaum. He’ll trade draft picks for non-guaranteed money players.

• pheloniusphish says:

What do the Eagles have to do with Tannebaum?

I think you’re missing the lesson, here. Tannenbaum HAS become wise, so as not to trade for guaranteed contracts. However, non-guaranteed $$$ players aren’t exactly ‘top of the shelf’ players.

I think he likes to take on players as ‘reclamation’ projects in exchange for draft picks. It’s more expensive to do this, rather than to develop homegrown talent via the Draft (rookie contracts).

• pheloniusphish says:

That’s because there is no lesson here. Two completely unrelated topics. No correlation.

Damn you March!!!! It’s a crisp clear mid 40’s day and tomorrow we get a storm that could drop a foot of snow. You bastard!!!

M – Plus, I think there’s a chance we re-sign James, and lower his cap hit for this year.

I’m with M13 on the cap issue, least as far as where we sit right now. My first thought on Quinn was “that’s a serious DE” and my 2nd was “how the F are we gonna afford his salary.” Least thought it meant the end of any top-end FA signings. Same time understand how we got in this spot. We signed guys ahead of time. That’s Branch, Jones, Stills, TJ, etc. And add in Suh years before that. So was expecting.

Heck yeah we will end up under cap….but have a feeling there are gonna be some moves coming. And yes we can restructure, but keep in mind that is just saving cap now to push it down the road. Maybe they will prove me wrong, but wondering if T-baum (we saw what happened to the Yets) is in Gase’s mind on how to build a better team next year.

And, since T-Baum has been in Miami, they have restructured exactly one players contract….Suh’s. Which, BTW, was written into his first contract as a team option.

Yes, re-structures push the cap hit down the road….when the cap is higher.

LOL, it’s not THAT higher so as to offset restructure $$$, man! I wish it was, though.

I think I’m some one like a Pouncey’s case
      Restructuring means “take a lesser salary or we will cut you”
      Not pushing it down the line

Sometimes restructuring means take less money

Restructuring Suh on the other hand is probably just pushing $
      To be paid at a later date, which is a bad idea imo

20. ElephantRider says:

Am I only one that thinks Sammy Watkins is severely overrated?

21. ElephantRider says:

Cap shnap……
    Oh no….gonna cut some players…..hate to dismantle a 6-10 team.

They can set it up how they want, so long as it does not come with a mortgage on the future. Just don’t think this team is ready for a run now.

They won’t re-structure Suh again. Probably RT and Jones. And extend Quinn.

Tanny is the bank waiting to be pulled from. Only Q is how many years they are willing to guarantee him for (he is not for 2018). Push that to 2020…..and there is $15-20 mil in cap room. But then he is coming off two blown out knees.

Cap has gone up $10M every year. So say we re-structure RT by turning $10M into a signing bonus. That $10M is prorated over the remaining years on his contract (3). So $3.3 a year. By the time they hit the 3rd year the cap has risen $30M.

Tanny is a restructure waiting to happen, even it is just they are sure he is with us next year a fiddle around some. See $10 mil in cap room just off that. Willing to guarantee more years and there is more. And yes cap has gone up each year in the past, but that only means dollars pushed back come at a discount then.

M13, have you looked at how many young players are on this team? 19 draft picks the last 3 years, and few UDFAs we signed along with some other guys off the street.

You keep using reclamation projects but I’m not sure who that is. Quinn had 8.5 sacks last year. I didn’t realize that’s considered an off year.

• pheloniusphish says:

8.5 sacks playing out of position no less.

The guy is a QB hunter. Proven pass rushers are coveted in this league and they get paid. Quinn is a better pass rusher than OV has ever been yet OV makes $17M per season. Consider Quinn middle of the road at $11+M.

If you look at it that way, then how many players do we either cut or restructure?

Don’t know yet. Let’s see how it plays out instead of stressing everything the team does. We have to get under the cap so it’s going to happen. I don’t expect us to be big players in FA anyway, we haven’t been the last two seasons. We’ll add a few players but they might be 2nd tier role players.

• pheloniusphish says:

2 each. If you saw my spotrac yesterday, if they trade Landry, cut Timmons and the TE-whose-name-will-not-be-spoken, and re-structure RT and Jones they are $27M under the cap.

The 2018 season is a big year for Gase and the FO. They are going to try to compete to win this season. Everything we’ve done points to that. It doesn’t mean you have to think we’re capable of that or not. If the season flops, don’t worry about the cap in 2019 because that is when the purge will happen. If we have a decent season, we’ll make it work in 2019.

I used to think that way, once upon a time.

Well you don’t extend Jones and Wake, lockup Stills, McDonald, Alonso, Branch, trade for Quinn and have Suh and Tannehill on big contracts because you’re starting over.

Pouncey started all 16 games last year and does not require offseason surgery as far as we know so I don’t think we’re moving on from him this year. Hopefully he can do it again. If we have a bad season in 2018 outside of getting hit with a lot of unforeseen injuries, what’s the point of keeping the core together in 2019? That’s when you start over.

• To me, I don’t understand why you would wait until ’19. The team can get rid of a lot of bad contracts right now, retool and get to work this season and then bring in just a few key additions next season and would be in better shape than trying to make it work with what they’ve got this year.

Purge the damn thing, go after Robinson in FA, sign a vet DT, draft Payne in the 1st, sign a FA guard and draft another. Get everything done now so you have the players in the system this year to work with, get a few key players next year and you just pulled a Philly. Dilly Dilly

They aren’t doing that though. If we release say Suh, Tannehill and Pouncey in a week or so, then we’ll talk. I don’t see it. Like I said before, it doesn’t mean you have to think we’re capable of winning this season or not. Nothing points to a major overhaul.

pheloniusphish says:
    March 6, 2018 at 4:38 pm
    ————
    I’ll go back to check your ‘spotrac post’ from yesterday. Sorry I’d missed it, man.

And I didn’t really need to re-do Jones.

28. BailBondMike says:

Phelon, That was also without you resinging James and restructuring Pouncey which would create even more space.

Phelon,

I like your ‘Spotrac proposal’… I think it’s more than feasible, but I wouldn’t funk with Reshad. And as you just stated above, you didn’t really need to re-do Jones.

But all-in-all, I LIKE your thoughts on this!

30. BailBondMike says:

Jets, were almost always in cap hell when T-baum was there. Now he has been gone a few years look at their cap space now.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

He’s been gone from the Jets for 6 years and what have the Jets done since? They made it to two consecutive AFC championship games when he was GM. Would you rather have that or lots of cap space? Is this a new sport, who has the most cap? LOL

March 6, 2018 at 4:46 pm
    Well you don’t extend Jones and Wake, lockup Stills, McDonald, Alonso, Branch, trade for Quinn and have Suh and Tannehill on big contracts because you’re starting over…
    ———-
    DUDE!!! Don’t you see how you’re talking out of BOTH sides of your mouth?!!

I’m NOT dissin’, I’m just sayin’ that you’re contradicting what you’ve stated regarding our cap in defense of Tannenbaum!!! Sheesh!!!

Not talking out of both sides of my mouth. The idea is to compete and try to win. Not to have cap space so we can turn the team over every few years like we have in the past with no success. The team is constructed to win now and have a young core moving forward. I have no idea why this is so hard to see and why you wouldn’t want your team trying to win.

Can we do it, I have no idea? I haven’t seen the 2018 team play yet.

The two big Qs on our cap right now are Landry ($16 mil) and James ($9 mil). Both end up on the roster next year and that will be about it in FA other than some lower level signings and maybe with a mid one, even with some pull from the Tanny bank.

My guess is one or the other is not with us though….and thinking it will be a Landry trade.

Ed Hochuli is retiring.

“If we don’t try to re-do Robert Quinn’s contract, I don’t know how he’d feel about a restructure, coming so far down from his expected $11M… that’s possibly problematic.”

M – Players rarely balk at getting the same salary as guaranteed money up front (signing bonus), especially if they get an additional year or two tacked on to their contract. It’s not so much that Quinn is getting a re-structure as he’s getting a new contract.

When a player gets traded, the signing bonus gets swallowed by the team that traded him. Thus, we’re off the hook for Quinn’s bonuses. But nevertheless, we’re on the hook for approximately $11M in ’18.

The only way to get that number down for ’18 would be to sign him to a new contract.

And to keep Quinn (and his agent) satisfied would be to construct a new contract with new guaranteed $$$, to compensate for the $11M we’re on the hook for.

Same thing we did with the TE who you say should remain nameless after trading for him. 😉

• pheloniusphish says:

Yes, we’re off the hook for his original signing bonus. The whole point of a re-structure is to convert a big chunk of salary to a new signing bonus (often in conjunction with additional years) so they can spread the hit of the length of the contract.

I’d be happy with Gesicki, Goedert, or Hurst, and honestly, I’ll be shocked if/when we actually turn in a card for a legit TE.

The good thing about restructuring Jones is that he’s under contract for 4 more years after 2018. Spreads the cost out further, makes the hit smaller (<$2M/year).

When discussing the cap, always look at the bigger contracts and what year there are outs when adding new cap hits. Lots of highly paid players on our team have easy dead cap to move on next year if this run is over with the group we tried with. We have to get under the cap or be at it no matter what.

What are we missing on not having a lot of cap this year? It’s a shit FA class and I don’t think that’s our focus to turn the team around anyway. Add a few pieces and a draft class to what we have and go compete. It’s not dire or awesome or proven or anything. It is what it is. If this group fails there will be changes in the future. What are we really worried about?

March 6, 2018 at 6:41 pm
    ——–
    Who? Julius Thomas? FUCK NO!

You have me confounded…

What are you talking about?

I dunno! Perhaps you have me confused with someone else or took something I said out of context.

My comment was to Phish comparing what we did with Thomas’ contract after a trade to what he’s saying about Quinn. We can lower the cap. I think Thomas’ cap hit when we traded for him was $9M and we turned it into 6+.

Returning to Quinn – None of that $11M is guaranteed. About $111K is a roster bonus due on 3/16. The rest is unguaranteed salary, so theoretically, sans a new contract with Miami, Miami could cut him in training camp and his cap hit would go away. So it behooves him (and they probably already have it worked out) to accept a new contract that turns $8M-ish of that unguaranteed salary into a signing bonus and taking a much smaller salary. And perhaps adding a year or two to spread the bonus out further. I think his new contract will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-years, $30M with $15M guaranteed in the form of a signing bonus and salaries of $2M, $6M, and $8M.

Don’t ask, don’t Yatil

LOL… no but with our luck we’ll land the guy we’re all on board with and he will bust.

Look at 2016, we turn it around getting out of a 1-4 hole winning 6 straight, Tannehill steps up his game and then Iron Man goes down. That then leaks into 2017 where we have to patchwork part of the offense and not build on anything we did in 2016. In fact we’re changing a lot of it.

We should just go with the flow and root for the best. LOL

I promise I won’t be mad if we draft one of those 3 TE’s I mentioned, and it doesn’t work out. I’ll be mad, but not at the FO for drafting them.

44. ElephantRider says:

So today was tag day. When is cut day?

Think it’s going to snow a lot tonight ?

I’m getting messages of court closings but upstate

The city should get some decent accumulations, maybe 8-12″ of snow

We might get bombed. I hope it’s less than what they say but I’m preparing for the worst. Got a call from the town to get all vehicles off the road for plowing. All nearby schools are closed already. FU March, you’ve always been a douche! LOL

You pick from what the draft class is. Every team is in the same boat. If it’s strong or weak the league absorbs the same pool, no?

If we trade Landry what do you think we get back?

If we re-sign him, for how much?

At this point I don’t think there’s a shot we re-sign him. I’d say at best a 2nd RD pick and maybe a late RD pick, or maybe we use Landry, or Landry and another player to move up and get a mid RD pick back

49. We’re $19M over the cap and need to clear $30M just to get the Quinn trade to go thru on the first day of the season. THAT’s going to be interesting to see.

50. 5 to 8″ of snow expected tomorrow. that means 10 to 16″

It better not snow here. They’ve settled the teachers strike here and my kids are going to school tomorrow for the first time since February 21st.

That went on much longer than I think anyone might have expected. Happy kids are going back school day!

I imagine they’ll be going to school when their regular spring break is scheduled to make up some of these days.

Don’t worry – it’s just another couple of days…maybe a week…a month at worst

Remember when nobody even knew what a salary cap was let alone gave a shit about it? I miss those days. Now get off my damn lawn!

• ElephantRider says:

Lol
      24 years ago……$34M
      Crazy!

So right! Every move was about hoping your team would get better, not worrying about 2-3 years from now how that would effect you from signing the greatest of of greats.

The real story is teams can make their cap work. If a player isn’t living up to standards he’s gone and now you can sign someone else. It’s still about building and coaching a team.

Storm blew through here Sunday/Monday. Closed most highways within 300 miles.. temp was decent at 32 ish..started as pouring rain ,then turned heavy snow, at one point was snowing heavy and lightning across the night sky..was kinda eerily cool..looking forward to 95 F tomorrow

Dominican vacay 😎

54. We are $19M over the cap right now. We need to clear $19M just to get to break even or be at what the cap is set at. Then we would need to clear another $11M to make room for Quinn’s contract so the trade can go thru. Quinn’s trade can’t become official until there is enough cap space to actually fit him in under the cap. Therefore, we need to clear somewhere in the vicinity of $30M in 7 days just for Quinn’s trade to happen. We would then need to clear more in order to do anything else, like sign our own free agents.

Cut Timmons and Jordan, restructure Tannehill. Saves $21M.

Look kids, Big Ben! Parliament!

I used to smoke Parliament in high school. My dad smoked Parliament. When kids asked if I had a cigarette, they were always disappointed when I offered them a Parliament. The “cool” kids smoked Marlboro. I didn’t smoke very long, maybe a year or so until I started smelling that shit on my clothes, and I was disgusted by it, and I quit.

• ocalarob says:

benson & hedges 100s, my friends mother use to smoke them and had cartons sitting around, free cigs! we would take a pack when she was at work. like you i quit early due to the smell emitting from me.

Ha! 100’s were the bigguns! I remember when my dad caught me the first time with cigarettes, I went into NYC with him to keep him company for the ride, I think I was 16. He needed to drop documents to a customer of his, so i waited in the car, when he came back, he said thanks for coming with me, and patted my chest in a thankful way, and he hit my cigarette box. He made me take them out and smoke one in front of him. I’ll never forget that.

March 7, 2018 at 10:23 am
    What’s the plan to restructure Tannehill?
    ………………………………………………
    Turn $11M into a signing bonus, dropping his cap hit from $19M to $8M. The $11M is then spread out over the remaining years of his contract (2018-21, 3 years).

NEW BLOG UP!!