The Wedge Scouting Report: John Kelly, Tennessee

Ahhhh….spring is in the air.  Flowers will be blooming and the universe is full of new lifeforms….for me destroy…

wedgeseeds

These little seeds might not look like much now, but plant them at the start of the season and feed them a little blood from time to time and they grow into giants!

mutantplant

AND THEY EAT MEAT!

Just like Tennessee Running Back John Kelly.

Kelly8

THE POSITIVES:  John Kelly was the alpha dog of the Volunteer offense this year.  At 5’9, 205 pounds, Kelly is a shorter back that packs a very powerful punch.

If you read these reports, it will be no secret to you that this alien likes players with a little fight in them – and Kelly has more than a little.  The stout running back runs aggressively into and over defenders.  His low center of gravity helps him fight through tackles.  More often than not Kelly isn’t avoiding tackles – he running right at defenders!  Kelly rarely loses yards.

Kelly also brings a solid receiving game and a solid pass blocking game to the table.  He catches the ball very naturally and has the diverse skill set a lot of offenses crave.

NCAA Football: Southern Mississippi at Tennessee

THE NEGATIVES:  Kelly’s big weakness screams at you.  He is undersized.  If you want a big powerback look elsewhere.  I imagine in the NFL Kelly will be part of a running back by committee approach.

He doesn’t have great stats either.  Over the last three years the most carries Kelly had in a season was 189.  He had under 800 yards on the ground in each of the last two seasons.  Even at the college level they minimized his touches.

That scrappiness I mentioned above might be a detriment – Kelly might be a little too eager to make contact with the defender.

Kelly5

THE ALIEN DUST:  This is the kind of player I worry we are missing in 2018 without Landry or Ajayi – the scrapper.  I love watching Kelly fight for each inch.  Every snap is a fight.

The draft is so deep at running back, a productive player like Kelly from a major program is probably pushed down to a Day 3 pick.  If the Dolphins do not select a running back in the first 3 rounds of the draft, I imagine Kelly will be high on their radar.

Kelly7

If John Kelly was an alien weapon of destruction, its a no brainer.  He would be the Deadly Venusian Fly Trap – THEY EAT MEAT!

Kellymutantplant

Check out his highlights here:

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

409 Responses to The Wedge Scouting Report: John Kelly, Tennessee

I think Piggy has his sticky stuff all over the site again

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    April 7, 2018 at 7:05 pm

How am I off on my first point? The offense is probably going to be different this year from what we’re used to seeing meaning he’s got to learn it just like anyone else. Everyone seems to think he’s got some kind of advantage because he knows the offense and that’s just not true if Gase does to it what I think he’ll do

Because you are clueless and he’s not going to “do to the office what you think he’s going to do” whatever the fuck that means.

Gace is not changing the offense. He may changeup the play calling but the plays are staying the same the terminology is staying the same what they call individual plays are staying the same terminology on options within plays is staying the same.

He’s not changing the Playbook it’s the same Playbook it’s the same terminology and this is Tannehill’s 3rd year in the system so yeah he absolutely has a head start for Christ sakes stop trying to find something to support you’re incorrect assertion. You just look stupid at this point

• I highly doubt that. Like I said before, Gase doesn’t want to score 25ppg or even 27ppg. He wants to score 40ppg and he isn’t going to do it with an offense that looks like it has over the past 2 yrs.

I think the only reason why the offense looked that way is because he was limited to what he could do with what he had to work with. I don’t think they’re finished adding pieces to it and I’m expecting it to look more like what it did in the New England game than it did the rest of the season.

And stop talking like Tannehill is going to know the offense because he’s not. There IS going to be changes to it and there’s been changes to personnel. Working with a new center will take some time for him to adjust to. He’ll need to adjust to his new wr’s and te’s. And, we all know it takes time for Tannehill to get used to new personnel. He struggles with that and we’ve all seen it.

April 7, 2018 at 11:25 pm
    professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    April 7, 2018 at 8:07 pm
    I meant he had better seasons under Lazor.
    ___________________________________________
    LOL, how can you say that????
    first of all he only played 12 complete games in 2016, under Gase he had a better QBR than he ever has and oh BTW The stat that counts the most….he went 8-5 on games he started, we went 10-6 and made the playoffs!
    under Lazor he never had a winning season

_____________________________
    Okay! Here we go with the bullshit again. “he went 8-5”. No he didn’t go 8-5. He had little to do with the 8-5 record. So it’s time to admit it and get it right rather than living on Fantasy Island.

4. NFLDraftScout compares Kelly to Devonta Freeman which is highly complimentary. Problem is that he ran a 4.64 40 at his pro day which could turn some teams off. My biggest issue with him is if the Phins are going to take only 1 rb in this draft I’d rather it be someone else like Michel or Chubb.

If Kelly were still sitting there in the 5th and we scooped him up and we already took another rb early then I’d be okay with it but I wouldn’t want him to be the only rb we took.

I also want to see us pick up Jordan Chubb who will most likely go undrafted but may go late.

THOROUGHLY ENJOYED Minnesota-Duluth’s defeat of Notre Dame in the FROZEN FOUR National Championship game last night. According to reports, UMD was the LAST TEAM SELECTED by the committee to make the tournament field. They were college hockey’s answer to Maryland-Baltimore County except THEY WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!! And the fact that this is UMD’s second national title in hockey (they also won it in 2011) proves that the Bulldogs are a legitimate national contender, not a “flash in the pan” program. HUGE congrats to them!
    —————-
    NOTE TO STEVE ROSS: You WON’T have the WORST pro sports franchise in the southern half of the state this year. That “HONOR” belongs to the Miami Marlins, who lost 20-1 to the Phillies in yesterday’s MLB game. At 2-6, the Marlins are well on their way to a 100 loss season and LAST PLACE in the NL East Division. And, yes, there are many who believe the Tampa Bay Rays will do EVEN WORSE THAN THE MARLINS this season. At 1-7, the Rays certainly seem like the worst team in the AL East Division. Yes, baseball fans, the Sunshine State could have TWO 100 loss franchises IN THE SAME SEASON—A FIRST for this sport!! AH, somewhere Steve Ross is smiling!!!
    —————
    FINALLY, I’ve got to give a shout-out to my alma mater, Florida Atlantic, for completing a 3-game season sweep over the Miami Hurricanes in division I baseball. This series, played one game at a time over a 3-week period (2 games in Coral Gables, 1 in Boca Raton) represents FAU’s first sweep over UM in history. Seems like these two programs are headed in opposite directions. UM’s suffering through a sub-.500 season while FAU is 23-8 and is knocking on the door to a Top-25 ranking if they can continue their current winning streak.
    ————-
    JUST FINISHED another dog walk around our community. The temp is near 70, with just enough of a breeze to blow away Great Grandpa’s farts. Another day in paradise!

OD — man do you follow all things sports, especially the local folks. Props to you for that. Gonna get to see the Marlins in action next weekend against the Pirates (double date with faux-UK and his wife). Even if been doing it for a number of years…..still amazed at how cheap Marlins seats are. We are getting the equivalent of the 50 for the Phins for what it costs for a nosebleed corner. And is that stadium always so empty.

Thanks to our great Pig for having the dedication to schedule this post before hitting Sin City or even more by getting it done from the pool at the Bellagio. He went back to RB again….and even if he is not making a list of Samurai, pretty clear that is his greatest wish.

And in a way, signing Gore makes it even more likely we go RB in the draft (even if maybe not in the first two rounds). Gore showed he was still capable last year, but he has one or at most two years left. Might even be time to draft two and see who develops to be ready.

YOUNG STANGER: TWO THINGS;
      1) South Florida is notorious for ONLY backing a winner. 2018 marks the THIRD TIME that the Marlins have been totally dismantled and turned into a minor league level ball club. ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE ANYONE (except fans of the VISITING TEAM) will show up and support this kind of ownership in the Greater Miami area. And it’s virtually the same in Tampa Bay.

2) Gore plus whoever the Fins sign for the RB position can NOT have significant success behind this WORSE THAN AVERAGE OFFENSIVE LINE that the DOOFUS BRIGADE has been putting on the field. Conversely, if Miami drafts TWO stud O-Linemen in the coming draft, there’s a chance of turning our running game into something special. But, right now, the outlook for Gore and his fellow running backs is NOT GOOD!

ALWAYS GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!

OD — guess when I show up at Marlins games, I am like the Jets and Pats fans (even Northeast transplants) that do at ours, and yeah I wear a pirates shirt. Still can’t get over that ninety bucks lets me put my beer on top of the Pirates dugout…can’t stop myself from putting that beer down every year though. 🙂

Have a lot more faith in the new OL (and the depth on it) than you though. Think they are at least average. But am still hoping they bring in some folks in the draft. And oddly enough could see the stud coming at tackle rather than G since James is on a tag.

7. In a way I’d like to see them load up on talent on one side of the ball or the other. For instance, if they were to be able to get Smith or Edmunds in the first, keep it going with Lorenzo Carter or someone of the sort in the second.

If they decided to go with Ridley in the first then go with someone like Michel or Chubb in the 2nd. Or a TE and keep loading up the talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Of course, it’s only if it’s possible to do so.

The main thing is for the team to get as solid a draft as possible and, hopefully, a minimum of 4 solid rounds of players who can help. If they can do better with some key additions on special teams and depth later that’s a plus.

But, if they can have 3 to 4 rounds of solid picks this year and then come back next yr in FA and the draft and do the same they’re going to be headed in the right direction.

9. BailBondMike says:

Applied for a new job last week but not very hopeful as I am 53 y.o. (Though I am still in good shape, LOL). I applied for a position with EXOS here in Gulf Breeze (through the Andrews Institute) as a Performance Specialist Intern that would start this fall. I have some credentials but would have to complete my bachelors in physical therapy/sports science while I intern. Won’t need many more courses as I was a physical therapy tech in the Navy plus have additional schooling in the field. For those who don’t know, EXOS is a human performance company and train many college athletes prior to the combine. Actually, Riley Ferguson and Logan Woodside were 2 of the QB’s they had here (among a bunch of other players) before the combine. They train and rehab many athletes from all sports with facilities all over the country.

Like I said, I am not very hopeful. My interview went really well, though some of the others there to be interviewed already had their bachelors and were almost half my age. I actually only applied cause it would be a really cool job (didn’t say that in interview, LOL) and something I would love to do for about the next 10 years. Will know something by the end of the month. I am just tired of this bail bond shit.

Good luck BBM

BBM, best of luck in getting your new job!

Herd – Congrats on your lil girl! That’s awesome! I’m happy for you

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    April 8, 2018 at 8:54 am
    _______________________________________________________

we’re getting off topic a little don’t you think? The topic was Tannehill had a better season with Philbin and Lazor….he did not have a better season with Philbin/Lazor than he did in 2016 with Gase,

you seem to be saying this crap with nothing to back it up, Just saying so and ranting about BS and Fantasy land doesn’t make it so.

the team went 8-5 when T Hill started in 2016, he was on pace for 4100 yards and 22 TDs had he not been injured. he had a career best QB rating.

The numbers support that Tanny had his best year in 2016 and that’s a fact Jack.

• He was on pace for 4,100 yds? in what universe? He didn’t even get to 3,000 13 games into the season and he was going to have three 300 yd games to finish the season off? This conversation is over. Come back with you get a clue.

Thank you BBM. I hope you get that job. We need someone with inside information. Then all we have to do is get you MTP’s #

Best of luck Mike – Hope you’re pleasantly surprised

17. BailBondMike says:

Thanks y’all !!! They also have similar positions with the Andrews Institute but that is dealing with regular people like us, LOL.

Give it your best shot BBM. Sounds like something you would like even if you are not helping folks who could bust numbers at the combine.

Put Harris down as one of the good guys. He bought a pair of Jordans for each of the 14 Missouri Tigers going at it for their pro day.

“I tried to find something that the guys would like or might need, and so they’d know big bro Charles is there for them. I’ve seen a lot of guys who go off to the league, and you never see them come back to the university. It’s about actually caring about them and not being somebody who just makes an appearance.”

And he plans on keeping the tradition up. Full article is worth a read.

BBM: Regarding your age: Yes, 53 may sound a bit too young, but if I were you I’d simply say “I’m old enough to have LOTS OF REALLY RELEVANT EXPERIENCE and I’M YOUNG ENOUGH TO WORK LONG, HARD, HOURS WHENEVER I HAVE TO (AND NOT BITCH ABOUT IT, EITHER)!!–
    Hope you get the job, man!!

PS: FAU comes from a 4-run deficit in the 5th inning to nip Charlotte 6-5 today. Owls now 24-8 and closing in on a Top-25 ranking.

• BailBondMike says:

Thanks OD! Age is not an issue with me. I still get out and chase these young idiots who skip on bonds. LOL

olddolphan says:
    April 8, 2018 at 2:57 pm
    Hope you get the job, man!!
    —————
    EXCELLENT POST, Mr. Campbell! A vast majority of these so-called “millennials” are actually AFRAID to work. Lord knows I’ve seen more than my fair share to agree with you: this is a FACT.

BB Mike, Old Dolfan makes a STELLAR point, here: your age is an ADVANTAGE, today!

SCREW OAKLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They take the 2nd of the two LB’s every time I mock.

Lou you prove more and more every day that you do not understand NFL football. Gase is not bringing in a new offense. He may “open up” the offense, but those plays have been in the book and Tannehill knows them. There will be no learning curve at all with Tannehill this year, and he will help the new players to get acclimated to it.

“This conversation is over. Come back with you get a clue.”

This made me laugh, inhale a mouthful of pizza and almost need the hiemlich procedure it was so funny.

Here are my thoughts on Tannehill, for whatever it may be worth…

A) He probably knows the Gase playbook as much as Gase himself does, what with his study habits in his long time off the field.

B) He is NOT afraid of competition, as he IS a competitor.

C) His throwing arm didn’t get damaged, his knee was damaged (but then again, we can revisit Brees vs Culpepper… I’d rather not).

D) So long as our O-Line gets fixed (pass-pro, in particular), the chances of re-injury are significantly reduced.

E) Will he come out a little ‘gun-shy’, so as to protect his knee? From what Gase is saying (it’s ALL coach-speak, of course), he will NOT.

F) How will he react without his ‘safety-blanket’ (‘Linus Landry’) to throw to? Will he finally and successfully be able to scan the field? Part of that is on the O-LINE to provide him time to throw, without getting pressured into constantly throwing to a NEW ‘safety-blanket’.

G) He IS a LEADER. I’m not sure this point is even debatable.

H) At his very best, Tannehill has been just on the outskirts of a top-10 QB. He’ll be 30 by the time the ’18 season begins. As such, his ceiling isn’t too much higher. While some may cite the likes of Rich Gannon experiencing much success after 30, Gannon and his like ARE the exceptions, not the rule.

I) I VERY MUCH admire him: he’s both physically and mentally tough.

J) What IF he isn’t fully recovered (as we all saw in TC last year), when the bullets become live?

K) IF he’s fully recovered, how much MORE can he show us? Even if he can moderately improve on his ’16 season, that’s still barely touching top-10 QB status.

L) He’s never ONCE thrown more than 30 TDs in a season in this Goodell era… and to me, that’s problematic. As such, he’s more like the “noodle-armed” MR. Pennington… despite his cannon arm.

M) In certain areas, Bill Lazor got much more out of him than Gase has. In other areas, Gase has gotten much more out of him than Lazor had. In other words, it’s a wash.

N) Tannehill IS WHO HE IS. And by that, I mean that he’s a solid starter in the NFL. He’s not a top-10 QB, but he’s a very coachable and most savvy. Yes, I believe he can be a part of a Super Bowl team if there’s a sufficient Defense and O-Line/running game.

O) He NEEDS competition (and he welcomes as much!), so Brock Osweiler is NOT the answer. Brock came VERY cheap, knowing he’s got a body of work that SUCKS (yes, even under Gase in Denver).

P) He’s an A+ individual. His personality, his leadership, his knowledge, and his focus are EVERYTHING one wants to see out of their starting QB. This man is truly a coach’s DREAM.

So as y’all can see… I’m NOT a hater of Tannehill, NOR am I a lover of Tannehill. We’re drafting a QB this year… but when and where?

I’m more for letting Tannehill answer all of these questions rather than predicting what he will or won’t be.

Thanks Mike. I’m always proud of her. The show this weekend was a saddlebred show, which is not her type of riding. She does Eventing…dressage, jumping and cross country. The horses look different in the way they move. At the dressage shows I’ve been to it’s one rider in the ring at a time, kind of quiet. This was chaos, I called it roller derby, music playing, all the horses in the ring together at the same time. And she still won!

professorloumiamidolphinsblog says:
    April 8, 2018 at 2:54 pm
    ___________________________________________

for the 11 games that he finished in 2016 he avg 255 yards per game, 255×16 = 4080

M – There’s no shot Tannehill comes out gun-shy. He has to play the game the way he plays, or he can’t play at all. That doesn’t mean he has to run all time either when it’s there, but he has to play fearlessly, or he will get hurt. I can’t wait to see him play, and to see how the new offense works, especially after we finally draft a TE early. Holy fuck will it be great to have a legit TE for once!

April 8, 2018 at 5:33 pm
    ———
    I HEAR ya, Tim! But the problem is that we won’t truly know until AFTER the Draft.

Nothing you can do about that with any player coming off of an injury. He’s been cleared for all offseason activities so that is considered healthy. As far as if the knee with hold up and it should, nobody can predict that. But nobody can predict when a healthy player will get injured. This isn’t anything exclusive with Tannehill. Lots of players have come back from the same injury. We’re not drafting or not drafting a QB because of his injury status.

You are solders of Gondor! What ever comes through that gate you will hold your ground!!

30. BailBondMike says:

The comeback player of the year is ………………………………….RT!!!!

Lou is correct that our O will change this year, so RT needs to relearn how to play in it. He’s not talking about changing anything other than the tempo. Our O is going to be quick hitting, and with that yes, RT does have to learn how to play in a new O.

iBut steve it is not and will not be a “new O” The offensive plays, what they are called and how they are modified is the same system. He’s not gonna have to learn anything, other than some new twists or how his new team mates prefer things.

So, if he does fail that will not be an excuse.

Of course not, but the execution will be, and that will be new. If he can master a new quick hitting O, he’ll be our Brady. How do you stop Amendola and Wilson when getting the ball out in 2 seconds?

He knows the language, he knows the playbook backwards and forwards, so no matter what, he’s way ahead of anyone just walking in the door.

Exactly! Gase also installs plays that Tannehill likes so there’s that. Up tempo and what they call could change a bit but that’s why you practice. The language and concepts will not change. How could a QB who’s never been in the system know it just as well as Ryan? Makes no sense.

Lou is coming from a “push Tannehill out the door” perspective. That is obvious. LOL

steveccnv says:
    April 8, 2018 at 6:33 pm
    You’ve got good points but ruined them by your stats. RT had 230 ypg in 2016, not 255. Based on that miscalculation you give him steam.
    ________________________________________________

You’re right, I thought Arizona was the 12th game

These are the kind of mistakes that fuel Lou’s anti Tannehill rhetoric. He’s biasedly an RT hater, we all know this, so don’t give him an angle. RT hasn’t proven he can be anything more than a slightly above average QB, but we need to see what he can be with Gase’ s guys.

He did start showing a higher level of efficiency in 2016 despite not having gaudy numbers. It resulted in more wins. Gase cut down on throwing out of shotgun all day and used more play-action, waggles, roll-outs and bootlegs which suits his skill set. Unfortunately that progress was cut short with his knee injury.

still on pace for 3750, with his best QB rating,
    Lou seems to think he had better years with Lazor??

here’s the argument….

was 2016 @ 10-6 Tannehills best year?

or was it the 8-8 seasons with Lazor?

Thats my point, he wasn’t better with Lasor, so don’t help him out. I hate the way RT has played in crunch time, he needs to improve drastically, but he has all the tools to do so, he just needs to do it.

Quickly fix the D by drafting one of the top 2 FS at 11, then move TJ to OLB, then get a TE @42, then an RB in the 3rd and we’re set.

Samewise Gamgee was the real hero!

Wilson and Amdendola were signed because they’re good at those quick screens. Wilson adds a speed dimension and Amerndola is good at them even when he’s not getting the ball.

What Gase said about them.

I want to root for Grantman this season.

It looked better LIVE!
    My wife made me take the day off so she could take me out to the old ball game on our 30th first date anniversary!
    If you get a good one you better keep her!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope we don’t miss Landry’s blocking down field this season. He was always a willing blocker.

No doubt Landry kept playing when he didn’t have the ball. Amemdola does that too and hopefully others will step up. I’ve seen Stills mix it up. Wilson calls himself a dog. So yeah, gotta do your job. The play isn’t over because you don’t have the ball.

Steve, by the way good to see you back.

As for the defense, I don’t think we’re moving McDonald to full-time LB. But I do think we could see us using both him and Jones at different times as nickel/dime LBs – blitz/drop, stay at home and look for the run first, along with a deep safety.

A guy I think we could utilize as a deep safety (FS) at times in dime is Lippett. Tall, rangy guy and former WR with skills to track and catch the ball, who gets faster with long strides than out the gate.

Not saying he’s not in the mix with Tankersley at CB, just how to get the best players on the field at the same time.

Say it’s a passing down, 2nd or 3rd and 10+ against a spread offense.
    LDE Wake
    LDE Hayes
    RDT Phillips/Taylor/DE
    RDE Quinn

LB Alonso
    NB/S Jones
    NB/S McDonald
    CB Howard
    CB Tankersley
    CB McCain
    DS Lippett

But being that base defense is not that often anymore, you could see something like this a lot.

Thanks Tim

I thought about Lippett back there, but his tackling is suspect and you usually don’t want to move a CB to safety that can still play CB. I like the deep CF possibilities though, so. .

Moving Lippett to FS would mean our D is set, but doesn’t mean we can’t upgrade it.

No… not a position move with Lippett at safety. He’ll play corner too. I’m talking in certain sub-packages on certain downs and against certain opponents. Get your best players on the field and if he’s good off the Achilles I think he’s one of our best DBs.

Belichick does this shit all the time. It’s not about strict strong side, middle, weak or whatever, but guys who can matchup against personnel in the game.

Lippett might play DS 7 times one week and 17 the next.

It’s a game of matchups. In any sport, at the end of the day it’s whether players can matchup against their opponent. Schemes are not the key. A good game plan can help but without execution from players what does that even mean?

I agree with that, and make the QB this k who’s back there, or not and we get the int.

Make the QB think

Steve, make the QB think is why I think we traded for Anthony. A big, fast LB who may not be an every down player, but a sub-package role guy who is good at blitzing and one on one. His con has aways been diagnosing what an offense will do. Just do your job and take that guy out of the play. He has the physical ability to do that.

Go Phins!!!!!!

I agree, and having no control of those handful of players is what turned the light on for Gase after the Buffalo game.

Gase didn’t like the go through he motions attitude. Good!!! The team he inherited never had a winning record since 2008. He became HC in 2016 and had our second winning record and playoff appearance since then his first season but now he’s on the block because of last year. Oh brother! LOL

Can we let a new HC build his team without looking to start over every 2-3 years? How has that worked out?

In the last 20 years, who has had the longest HC tenure?

I don’t think Gase is on the hot seat, it’s just speculation. I’d let him coach as long as he wants.

Prayers and condolences to anyone associated with Humboldt SK or their WHL Broncos team … tragically sad ..

“From what I’m getting from Gase is he didn’t like that the team’s success was based on a handful of players playing well. He wants the entire team to bring it every week. Why not and what’s wrong with that?”

Gase has had full control to make the team in his image and get players involved that normally wouldn’t and hasn’t for 2 years now. He hasn’t done it. It’s one of my biggest complaints about him. By the way, you’ve said this same statement for the previous two regimes along with “we’re a team that’s ready to compete, we’re only a few players away right before the draft” lol

Some things take time, like Suhs huge cap hit, but in hindsight we should’ve dealt Landry last year. Pouncey was let go at the right time.

I’m just going with the flow of what’s being said and what’s happening.

I don’t know how I feel about it?
    But I agree with Omar!

When Gase dumped Ajayi I thought that was a stupid move and i had lost confidence in him due to that move, now that we are passed FA’cy the one move he made adding Gore has renewed my faith in him, maybe Gore will be his old self and move the sticks or maybe he’s too old and washed up. the thing is Gase recognizes that he needs a physical RB and that recognition got me back on track with Gase.

The more I think about, the the more I think it would be a bad move to draft a DT at pick #11. There’s no way that DT would be the best player available, it just can’t be. Don’t do it!

If we’ve learned anything from having Suh here for the last 3 years is we’re not a good DT from being great on defense, or even good for that matter. Now a playmaking LB, or S, or CB, maybe, but DT? Nope!!!

steveccnv says:
    April 9, 2018 at 9:36 am
    ————————–
    Knowing what we know now, if Landry didn’t have those allegations of domestic violence, it’s possible he might have been dealt last year.

Or they would have extended him and he’d be on the team right now. Even if he didn’t get charged, was clear something was going on and the team had to know more than we do.

Landry hurt the Gase offense, i dont blame him though, by getting open at all cost. Meaning, if you need 4 yards for a 1st down he’ll get you 6, and if you need 8 he’ll get you 6.

Stanger, I guess that’s possible, although we still probably weren’t going to give Landry the money he wanted, and the rumors (which most of us discounted except for Lou) were we were looking to trade him.

Steve – Yeah, especially if no one else around him is making plays. The problem was never Suh’s play, it was his salary, and the fact that we didn’t have anyone in that front 7 that made teams pay for double teaming Suh. I would just hate to see Vea, Payne or Hurst as our pick at #11. Get a serviceable DT later in the draft, not at #11.

Mike, I think you’re downplaying the value of a good DT. Suh’s contract was one thing, taking one at #11 isn’t the same thing. I’m not saying that’s what we should do, but it wouldn’t surprise me or bother me either.

It would bother me. We need game changers, and I don’t think any of the DT’s in this draft are that. Tremaine Edmunds or Roquan Smith, or Derwin James, or even Denzel Ward or Minkah Fitzpatrick can be that player. That’s how I see it.

Yep

I agree on those other players but probably only one or two of them will be there. James is a guy who might need some time to develop his game, he doesn’t have a lot of experience.

Do you like any offensive players at #11?

“I can show him a lot of things on and off the field, the way to be a pro. Just show him the way I work and why I’ve lasted so long to play this game at a high level. When I watched him, he’s a very quick and fast guy. I think the one-two punch will be very nice for this team.”

Why do some of you guys keep talking like Gase hasn’t had control over this offense since he’s been here? You can’t say in breathe, “This is on Gase, it’s his team”, then the next thing you say ends up taking responsibility out of his hands.

Not saying that. He didn’t like the makeup of the offense so he’s changing it.

• sb7mvp says:

But that is what you are saying Tim. If he didn’t like it in the past 2 years he could have changed it. There’s people on this offense that are capable of running the offense everyone keeps saying he’s going to run this year. That it’s going to spread the ball around and be wide open. He could have done that already. Landry still would have been able to get a lot of targets. The offense would have thrived. He could have used Grant, Drake, Gray, Caroo, Williams a heckuva lot more, but he didn’t.

Well he did get some of those guys more involved. It’s not like Gase has been here 5 years. The offense is still evolving. Some players didn’t/haven’t panned out.

The defense is being revamped too. That’s been happening since he got here. Only a few players are on the defense from before he got here – Wake, Phillips, Hull, Jones, McCain, Lippett and Aikens.

Let’s see what it looks like this year. I’m focused on 2018, not the past. We still have a draft so we don’t know all the pieces yet.

steveccnv says:

April 9, 2018 at 9:36 am

____
    They don’t take that much time, especially with use of personnel and play calling. Gase has admitted his wrongs himself so I’m not just saying this out of nowhere. Suh’s cap hit and dealing Landry were not in the way of him put the offense the way he wants it, or to do it properly.

The OL and RTs injury stunted the growth of the offense, but sure Gase made some mistakes. No one expects him to do everything right, just don’t keep doing the same shit over and over that doesn’t work, like his predecessors did.

Some here think a couple of non playoff years equals coach must go. If you have the right coach you don’t let him go. Gase is the right coach, at this time. I wouldn’t let him go for any other.

Tim, yeah Saquon Barkley, or one of the QB’s. If we trade back, maybe Gesicki

None of the TE’s are 1st round worthy, it would be a very big reach to take any of them that high. They are, however, pretty evenly rated for 2nd round consideration so we would be much better off waiting and taking the best available on in the 2nd or 3rd. I wouldnt get too tied down to one specific TE prospect, they are all pretty solid from Hurst all the way through Herndon. In fact some of the guys like Izzo and Conklin are pretty solid guys too and they should be there 4th round or later. I dont think we should have a hard time finding a spot to take a TE that will contribute right off, its just going to be a matter of if they invest in drafting one and how often.

steveccnv says:

April 9, 2018 at 11:26 am

And we learned a great DT can be somewhat irrelevant.

This is one Son has been saying all along: “Suh is here, everything is irrelevant”
    Or do I have that wrong?

Anyone that thinks a great DT is irrelevant is underestimating the position. Its true they cant do it all, but they set the tone for the whole defense especially in shutting down a passing attack. Pass rush from the middle is extremely important, as the pocket can collapse from the edges and a good, pocket aware QB can easily avoid it if the front of the pocket is intact.

You cant look at the situation with Suh as a sign that having a stud at the position isn’t important. Id say that in the modern NFL the edge rushers are more irrelevant these days. Ideally you want both but the newer offenses are built to make the 3seconds it takes to get to a QB from the edge irrelevant. To collapse the pocket int he middle, you dont have to be the guy getting the sacks but most of the time you are the one causing them because they have no place to escape and then the DE’s scoop up the sacks as a result of them not being able to step forward.

Thats said im also not impressed enough with any of the DT’s this year for that to be my highest rated player on the board for us by the time we pick. There is no scenario where i see us not having a better choice at 11. I think Vea might be a good to great DT, i just dont think its as likely as it is for Smith to be a great LB, or Fitzpatrick to be a great DB, etc.

Lol Gore has a naturally intimidating look to him. Drake is bigger than him but when i look at that picture above im thinking Drake looks like a dude id like to hang out and have a beer with, and Gore looks like a dude im watching my P’s and Q’s around so he doesn’t punch me in the mouth lol.

The only offensive player i like at 11, better than the defensive players wont be available for us. I have Barkley and Nelson rated higher than the defensive players, but i dont expect to even get close to a shot at either of them. So outside one of the QB’s falling, or us trading up, the best players available to us will be a defensive guy.

Here’s one projection I think has some accuracy to it. Don’t like that we don’t take a TE though. LOL

I cant see that draft happening. Nelson getting past Denver, us taking Ward over Vea, James or Davenport. I cant really see the Browns trading pick 4, and i cant see Buffalo giving up what they would have to to get to 4.

Not saying it couldn’t happen but i dont see those moves as likely.

I was looking at the 1st rd more as in those prospects going in a range. Teams have different grades on guys so it may not go down in an order someone else might think it should, but those guys will likely go within those picks.

What did Buffalo trade up to #12 for? I think it was to trade up again.

I think my strategy for TE in this draft would be draft one earlier on, like day 2 and then pick up a guy as a priority UDFA, one that his primary focus would be to be a blocking TE. Someone like Jeb Blazevich or Jordan Thomas.

If i didnt go that strat id take two mid rounders, maybe even back to back 4ths, mabe players like Fumagalli and Schultz where you get two hybrid players who can be used relatively the same. They might not stud out as receivers but being able to have them in double TE sets where either could be the receiving target or assist in blocking on any play would be very useful

I think its awesome at least one team has a first round grade on Shaqueem Griffin and he got an invite to the draft party. Even if he winds up hanging out until day 2, im glad the kid is getting recognition for being a balls out player.

The most shocking invite to me is Kolton Miller the OT from UCLA. I just dont see a very first round player when i have watched his film. I could see him as a late 2nd rounder, but that’s about as high as i would go.

Is it just me or does RG3 look a whole lot like Andre 3000?

April 9, 2018 at 3:08 pm

What did Buffalo trade up to #12 for? I think it was to trade up again.
    ———————————-
    Im sure they will trade up again, but to 4th would cost them both their first this year at least one future first and probably a couple more picks including a day 2 this year , possibly 2. Its going to be really expensive. I could see them trading up to 6, but anything higher is going to really cost them.

They have two 1s, two 2s and two 3s. They could trade some picks next year and still have somewhat of a draft this year as well.

————
    I don’t wish ill on the player, especially since he had no control over Indy’s choice to purposefully tank, but I can’t help but be happy the Colts didn’t get the next great QB out of that BS ‘suck for luck’ year they threw out.

I feel bad for him, but its happened to a top player before, several actually, so its kind of just part of the game unfortunately. You aren’t protected as a player or as a team from bad things happening to your top guys.

Funny thing about that article is they put both a positive and negative spin on it simultaneously “he feels good throwing” “not yet throwing a real sized football” thats not really selling me on “he’ll be ready by the time the season starts”. I will say that if he doesnt make it though this season without injury he will undoubtedly be talked about a setback for the franchise. I know its not his fault, but with what they expect to get out of him and what they have gotten so far, hope is drawing to a close.

At WR we apparently met with a couple of times is on my list of sleeper prspects for later in the draft. Jake Wieneke^, WR, South Dakota State, it appears we have met with him twice now. Nice big target RZ WR.

We have met with Ragnow and Billy Price a couple of times now too. Ragnow on a 30.

Both would add excellent competition and depth on our OL. What is Price’s time table returning from injury?

D – I guess you can say I’m undervaluing the DT position, but I just don’t see any of the prospects in the 1st RD as being anywhere near as good as Suh, who didn’t improve our defense. I’ll take another guy like a Randy Starks in the 3rd or 4th RD

Mike, sweeping the Nats on the road was a nice start this year. 🙂

I thought I heard someone say about 6 months for Price, worst case scenario

So he would be ready maybe during the PS. We wouldn’t need him right away so he would be a guy that could help us at some point in the season if needed and a future starter.

I would say “hopefully” we don’t need him. lol

We just seem to have a tough time keeping OL healthy

I personally would rather roll with Ragnow over chancing that recovery and/or having to wait. Isaiah Wynn seems to be dropping a little, id rather take him in the second if he drops that far.

April 9, 2018 at 3:57 pm

————————————
    Like i said i agree with you there, but i just disagree with the sentiment that Dt’s arent that important. IMO they are probably the most important player on a team. I think a lot is made of the QB position and i think rightfully so, but DT’s and OG’s (and OC to some extent) to me is where the entire game starts being played.

Follow me on this logic. In football you have a 12th man on defense that you do not have on offense and thats the sideline. If the center of the defense is shut down, then that forces the teams to play away from the center and towards the 12th man, therefore taking advantage of what a defense has over an offense.

In the passing game, if you push the pocket back int he middle it makes the QB escape to the sides or to the back of the pocket, both of where is where your pass rushers are closing off.

The reflective side of the ball the OG’s prevent both of those things from happening, allowing you to utilize the middle of the field and avoid being rode out to the 12th man and pinned in between the sideline and the defense in pursuit.

Also the OG is positioned between two other OL, both of which have specialized responsibilities that can be exploited, so without a solid OG, both your OC and OT’s will be weaker. You can compensate for weaker OG’s but then you need both OT’s and the OC to be strong. So you either need two strong OG’s or 3 strong other OL. Its a lot easier to have studs at two positions than three.

This is why i disagree with the OG’s are interchangable concept. I know he means that he doesn’t expect the OL to breakdown at OG fast enough for his plays not to be executed before the OG position collapses, but we have seen every year thats not the case, so to me the proof is in the pudding as to how important OG is.

by he i meant Gase

I think an elite pass rushing DE is more important than an elite DT. Of course, the elitist of the lite, like Aaron Donald is pretty much a wash, but I’ll take a pass rushing DE that pressures the QB all day, and gives you 15-20 sacks.

Yep, all day.

That’s why you want a DT that can keep the QB from stepping up in the pocket, so the DEs can hunt. That doesn’t mean you have to take one 1st rd, but it is a very important position.

Just because Suh didn’t change our defense, doesn’t de-value the DT position. We were also rebuilding our LB unit and secondary. Besides Hull there are no LBs on the team that were here in 2015. Besides Jones, McCain, Lippett and Aikens, there are no other DBs left from 2015, and McCain and Lippett were drafted in 2015. So we have a very new defense now and that also includes 2 rookie DTs from last year, DEs in Branch signed in 2016, Hayes signed last year and re-signed this year, Harris as a rookie last year, and trading for Quinn this year. The defense has been going through an overhaul since Gase got here and it’s continuing this year. We’ll add more from the draft. We really have not seen this defense play all that long together.

This mostly sounds good, but in reality it’s not baseball where you need to be good up the middle, not even close. The thing you’re forgetting is the money it takes away from the rest of the team. DTs very seldomly impact a game like other positions.

If you don’t have good DTs, you’ll see plenty of impact in a game from them when opponents run on you all day and QBs have a clean pocket to move around in. Then you’d wish you had better DTs. 😉

D, I was just saying if we did draft Price. Not that he’s the guy on the OL we should target. There are a few good ones out there.

Gil Brandt thinks Mike McGlinchey will go top 10. Not that we need a tackle, just saying. He also thinks Will Hernandez will go earlier than projected.

The thing that might keep us from taking a TE in the 2nd rd is taking an OL there.

I hope Gil is right. 4 QBs and 2 not top 10 tackles going top 10 would be good for is.

I think both OL guys will be good though.

Let us not forget, we’re going to see some busts from this draft class that were highly regarded and some other guys who were thought of as meh, will be better players. Happens all the time. This QB class could lead that result.

With Walker no longer at ESPN we’ve had very few articles out of them, but I think it’s worth it. I don’t think much of Walker, he seems to be a nice enough guy, but his knowledge seems to be lacking.

Yeah he fits into the category of pundits that have never played the game. His ideas about football are all theories. I like people who report on football to have at least played at some level, HS or above, and its usually pretty easy to pick out the ones that havent.

Steve i think we have to disagree about the importance of DT’s. Like Tim was saying, and what i had said before that. DE’s make the plays but DT’s cause them. Things arent as clear as a stat sheet makes them out to be.

This has nothing to do with stats, if you pay a QB franchise money, you do it, because he influences the game. DTs don’t influence the game enough to give them 1/9 Of your cap

Im not arguing the Suh contract, im arguing the importance of DT’s. You guys are relating it to Suh. I can agree that the contract was bad, it got worse every time we renegotiated it and kept pushing things into signing bonus and more guarantees. It doesn’t change the narrative on the DT position, of which i cannot agree with what you are asserting.

I also didnt say you dont pay your QB’s more, im just saying that the DT position is worth having a stud at, and if you have to pay, you pay him. Im sure the entire NFL took notes when we overpaid Suh, so i expect Donald get a really big paycheck but i doubt its like the one we did for Suh.

When the Giants beat the Pats in both SBs they did it with a great pass rush. The pass rush package did not feature a DT. The called in the NASCAR package because it featured all speed rushers. They specifically took the DTs on passing downs. Give me a good DE all day every day instead of a DT.

Plenty of OL guys in the second. I like Braden Smith possibly best for us anyways and he might be available in the 3rd if we are lucky and if some of those other guys get selected ahead of him. Id pass on a TE in the second if it mean we landed Isaiah Wynn, Braden Smith, or Hernandez in the second. I might even prefer taking Ragnow or Price over a TE in the second. I think though if we get the right guy in the 2nd we can also pick up a OG in the third about as easy as we can a quality TE, so it really doesnt matter which order, i think we could wind up with a stud OG/OC prospect along with a TE in day 2.

Ken, it was Jay Alford.

Tim, I said a great DT can be somewhat irrelevant, that doesn’t mean it’s ok to have shitty ones.

I understand that. I think the Suh signing and contract threw some of you off on the importance of the DT position. You guys are starting to make it seem like a backup TE. LOL

You’re assuming that all on your own. You can get by with just above average at DT, but its tough when you pay elite money. The Rams may have everything cone together this year and win an SB, but it still doesn’t change things.

I didn’t say we can have shitty DT’s, we have Jordan Phillips, Godchaux, and I wouldn’t mind adding another DT in the 3rd or 4th RD. There should be a good one available, especially in the 3rd, and even possibly the 4th

A team is only as strong as the weakest link. Thus, EVERY position is important.

Besides cheating, Belicheat* and the Patsies* will always target an opponent’s weakest link. It doesn’t matter if we have elite players at certain positions… we need to have a well-rounded team from the bottom on up.

^ Very true, which is why paying Suh made little sense, because it prohibited us from getting there.

The idea was good but the timing was bad. That’s why I say since Grier became GM he has corralled Tannenbaum. We have not signed one outside UDFA to even a $30+M contract during his time as GM. Mid-tier deals and a focus on the draft has been the approach. This is year three with this regime. The 2018 season will say a lot about them.

EXACTLY, Mike E!!!

Guys, I’m also joking around a bit. I think we all get what each other are saying about the DT position.

I still believe QB and LT on offense – DT, Edge and CB on defense is how you build a team.

It all depends on how you design your defense and what you ask them to do. We are going to miss Suh. Everybody talks about controlling the LOS being a key to winning. That starts with your interior defensive linemen.

The design of this defense is to piggy-back off of an offense that scores a good amount of points and is in games or leading. That’s been the plan since Gase got here. That’s why he’s changing the offense in many phases because he feels the offense let the defense down.

Cespedes!

To my fellow Star Wars fans: the official “Solo” movie trailer (released yesterday)!

I think Jordan Phillips will step up this year, he can collapse the pocket from the inside

He’s another one — along with DeVante — who is in a ‘make-it-or-break-it’ year (last year of their rookie contracts). They are both playing for either new contracts, or for their 5th-year options.

I REALLY hope both can step it up this year.

• ocalarob says:

yeah Parker really has to step up this year, being a contract year he better if he wants to get paid

Agreed. He’s been around since Suh was here. He’s a 4th year guy with his 2nd contract up in 2019. Godchaux had a nice rookie season and the team has high hopes for Taylor in his 2nd year. We still need another solid DT though.

Does anybody knows the stats on where we ranked in bringing pressure? It didn’t feel like we did it a lot last year.

ORob,
    I have no desire to draft a DT at #11, but I think you’re getting ahead of yourself a little. Phillips, while very talented physically, has been very inconsistent. He can be a monster, but I don’t trust him at all. Godchaux, whether people want to understand it or not, benefitted by playing next to Suh last year. He will see teams block him completely differently this year. We have yet to see how he handles more attention week in and week out. I like him. He did some good things his rookie year, but it’s about to get tougher. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep your eye out for a DL you like somewhere in the draft.

• ocalarob says:

DT has a learning curve of about 4 years so i’m expecting Phillips to excel this year, i doubt any DT in this draft could beat out Phillips or God

I think you mean the 3-4 NT (Nose Tackle) has a learning curve of about 4 years, and that would be right! I think the 4-3 DT positions have much shorter learning curves.

• ocalarob says:

I know it took some time for that DT we had back in the sparno days, can’t remember his name

ORob,
    Thanks! I was thinking more of how often we brought pressure. I remembered our sack total sucked. Lol

Randy,

I’m not about waiting until the tail end of the Draft to address our interior D-Line, but Poona Ford, DT, Texas, is a stud… I’m not sure why he’s projected to go so late.

Do you have any thoughts on him, man?

89. naplesfan2010 says:

phinsiders:
    “The Buffalo Flaming Table Jumpers have the #12 pick, and let’s face it, most of us just hope they draft a horrible player. However, they have draft capital and it’s a distinct possibility they use it to move in front of us: there might not be a bleaker quarterback depth chart in the NFL, containing just AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman. Buffalo could also use help along the OL, WR, DB, and in their personal lives, because they are all drunk savages.”

M13,
    Where would you pick Ford?

I think we only have 5 LBers on the roster…Alonso…McMillan…Anthony…..Allen…and Hull,

That said maybe we will go LBer at 11???

92. naplesfan2010 says:

Interesting stat about LBs …
    “”Of the 303 players drafted, 72 became starters for at least half their careers.
    Almost half of the linebackers drafted came in rounds 5-7 but only 5 total starters came from those rounds.
    If you select a linebacker in the first round, there is a relatively low bust rate. As a matter of fact, Linebackers have the second highest first round success rate behind only the offensive line. 70% of first round linebackers were starters for at least half of their careers.
    There isn’t much drop off in the second round either, with a success rate of 55%.
    The third round isn’t that bad at 34% but after that the drop is steep with the 4th round plummeting to 16%, the 5th round to 4%, 5% in the 6th and only 2% success in the 7th. “”

Posted by Francesco Pergolini

ORob,
    Well that sucks since the average career in the NFL is 3 years! Lol
    ***
    Phillips is just lazy. You see it. He knows what to do, and he’s always held up physically. It’s his heart. If he doesn’t start playing with more energy and urgency, he’s not gonna get any better. He can flat out dominate on plays, but then he disappears for a quarter. That’s not learning curve.

Randy says:
    April 9, 2018 at 9:01 pm
    M13,
    Where would you pick Ford?
    ————–
    I’d take him as an early day 3 pick.

96. naplesfan2010 says:

what round was zach thomas?

Matt Miller is both a gentleman and a scholar, in my eyes. He’s a REALLY good dude.

M13,
    Ford reminds me of Jerry Ball. Do you remember him? Ball was a very effective player. Ford doesn’t have the same feet, so i’m not sure he’ll be anything special….but you never know! He’d be fine on day 3. I don’t know if I’d make it a priority to target him but take him if he’s there for you.

99. naplesfan2010 says:

so Zach was one of only 5 LB starters ever to come from rounds 5-7? What a player.

Great NFl defenses do need to be strong up the middle I don’t know where that idea came from otherwise.

Randy says:
    April 9, 2018 at 9:16 pm
    M13,
    ———-
    I actually had to look Jerry Ball up, though he played in a time where I was ‘football aware’. I see that Ball played at 6’1″, 330, but Poona Ford is only 6’0″, 306.

Poona is STUD at clogging up running lanes, and he’s FAST at 4.97 speed. I’m not sure I would compare the two (Ball and Poona), but they may play a similar game… after all.

I’d be targeting Poona, but that’s just ME!

Targeting Poona. Too many comments. I am a bad man

Not only are you a BAD man, but you’re also going to be a SURVIVOR, MR, Ken.
      #HulkKenStrong

Hulk don’t feel so strong today. Radiation is kicking my ass but I am hanging tough

That’s where PRAYERS come into play, my man. Christ will carry you across the sands, when you weren’t strong enough to stand on your own.

STAY STRONG, and know that this is but a temporal situation. You’ll be looking back at this whole matter in time. And with that future perspective, you’ll have a new and more profound appreciation of ALL things.

102. naplesfan2010 says:

It is uncertain how serious the Dolphins are at drafting a quarterback in round one. But if all of the “big-4” quarterbacks go early in round one, Lamar Jackson is one hell of a consolation prize. During his tenure at Louisville, Jackson threw for 9.043 yards and 69 touchdowns. He also added an additional 4,132 yards on the ground, in addition to 50 touchdowns. Jackson is literally a human highlight reel, and with the right coaching, will be one of the league’s top quarterbacks for years to come.

uh oh … do you think we are thinking of getting Lamar?

103. naplesfan2010 says:

It is no surprise that when the Dolphins meet with the top quarterback prospects in this year’s draft, they bring their Hall of Fame quarterback along for the ride. Today was no different, and when Miami summoned former Heisman trophy winner Lamar Jackson to Davie, Dan Marino wasn’t far behind.

Per Sirius XM’s Craig Mish, the Dolphins held a private workout with Lamar Jackson on Friday afternoon, and the GOAT was there to watch.

Craig Mish

Quarterback Lamar Jackson is at Dolphins camp in Davie today. Dan Marino is there too, working with Jackson I’m told.

Naples,

Sir, you didn’t see my latest mock draft, did you?!! 🙂

mf13ss says:
      April 5, 2018 at 7:29 pm
      MY 2018 Miami Dolphins Draft (v4.4.5.18)

R1P11: Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
      R2P10: Mike Gesicki, TE, PSU
      R3P9: Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State
      R4P23: Durham Smythe, TE, Notre Dame
      R4P31: Sean Welsh, G, Iowa
      R6P35: Poona Ford, DT, Texas
      R7P9: Skai Moore, LB, South Carolina
      R7P11: Jalen Davis, CB, Utah State

UDFAs coming soon

KEY(?): moving TJ McDonald to full-time LB, trading for Pearl Thomas post-June 2nd +$17M (MTP won’t be able to help himself).

M13,
    Ball was a short, pudgy guy that could move his feet really well. And, if Poona is only 306, i’ll eat my hat. Lol

• naplesfan2010 says:

TE TE TE TE
      We must get a seam busting TE this draft.
      I prefer Gesicki, but Goddert might be fine as well.

107. naplesfan2010 says:

Sleep it off Ken.
    Karma owes you buddy.
    Guys like you should get all the breaks.

LOL Wyo – Mets have no such hardware, unless you count the chains Cespedes! wears around his neck

Wyo – You registering for the auditions?

I’m so confused!!!!!!!!

Ive seen them have to retract their statements a few hours or days later but thats kind of ridiculous lol

If we didn’t plan on keeping James past this season, I don’t think that’s a bad trade for us, getting Anderson and a 3rd for James. I hope we re-sign him to long term contract though (James)

So approximately 2 weeks until the draft and what we do has gotten a bit clearer lol. Even the different mocksters are all over the place with our pick and usually flip flop with our pick every other time they do one

Yea, definitely no clarity, not many things would surprise me.

Lot’s of rumors the Jets will take Mayfield after meeting with him yesterday. Reports are they are very impressed with him.

Im not surprised, i think there are intangibles that you would pick up on meeting with him that sell him as a good prospect. I feel he is one of the most likely to not shrink from the spotlight if asked to start right away. So in some ways he’s better than most the rest even if he physically doesnt check off the boxes for prototype. I think he will be a system guy, so if your system dosnt already fit him i think you have to work your system around him, but again, thats kind of true for a lot of QB’s coming out of college these days. You just have to commit to their style instead of trying to force a round peg into a square hole.

Prior to the move to get Gore, i think James, for Anderson and a 3rd would have been a good trade as well, but James is better than most the RT’s we would get int he 3rd so we would have a drop off on the OL for sure. We would really have to feel good about Young and/or fox and we would have to move OL up on the draft priority some to really not feel the pinch of that trade.

I heard this morning on NFL radio that if the Browns take Darnold, The Giants may either take Barkley, Chubb or trade back. They want darnold. If the Browns take anyone other than Darnold, the Giants will draft Darnold.

If I’m the Giants I would take Chubb. They can get a solid RB in other rounds. Okay not as good as Barkley, but he’s not the only guy who can be a productive RB. Chubb is a special edge guy and you know what they say about pass rushers.

If im the Giants id take Chubb as well and if im Denver im taking Nelson. Nelson is a very unique OG prospect, and just look at how OG contracts are trending and you can see this is a position thats not too far off what LT’s have been recently, so getting a stud at that position you can call yours at a very cheap rate for 5 years would be very advantageous for them. If i were them id have to be SOLD on one of the QB’s being my starter in a year to take one of the QB’s over Nelson

Yeah im hearing same deal, that the Giants wouldnt take a QB at 2 unless its Darnold, and that Cleveland is pretty locked in on Darnold themselves. This might push Allen or Rosen down to us if the Browns take Darnold, Giants take Barkley/Chubb. Jets take Mayfield. The ? is Denver, which may be interested in Allen, i have heard that’s their favorite of the QB’s.Then there is the Bills who are probably going to trade up to take a shot at one of the 4. I still think Denver could stay put and take a player like Nelson, Ward, or even Edmunds or Smith. They have needs at all those positions, so i guess we will see.

The word on the skreet is that Gase wasn’t happy with the play of our cornerbacks last year and that he’s trying to get MTP to trade up for one in the first.

I haven’t seen anything about this but I don’t think we’d have to trade up for one. There are some solid prospects that will be in the 2nd rd too.

If he is all in on Ward there is possibly a need to trade up for one, but only if they HAVE to have Ward. There is also significant dropoff after the first round guys, but i think he could get either Fitzpatrick (who can play CB) or Ward in the first. I did hear he wasnt impressed with TJ at safety, but i havent heard anything about him not happy with us at CB, thats not to say he didnt, but sometimes when taking about DB’s people get their wires crossed.

There are three prospects this year i think are absolute cant miss guys and thats Barkley, Chubb and Nelson. Fitzpatrick is on the fringe of that list too. All of the Qb’s seem pretty good to me but none of them dont come with some concerns so i cant put them on that list. They will be drafted before those other guys, or some of them will, but thats only because of the position itself and not that they are higher rated. It doesnt make sense to me for a team to pass on one of those guys to take a QB if there are in an even semi confidant place with their current roster QB, and most all of those teams are.

Cleveland, to me should go RB first, QB second for the same reasons as listed above, because they are going to miss out on Barkley almost assuredly if they dont, but i also understand why they might have to take Darnold if that’s just the guy they have to have.

MTP to be in rare form this draft. Look to come out of the weekend with only two players. Cornerback is a high priority to Gase. Felt like the play could have helped the D-Line more.

— Armand0 Salguero (@Armand0Salguero) April 10, 2018

Incognito set to retire. Bills down 3 OL now.

Richie now has time for the finer things in life.

Haven’t been following, but also seems has not exactly been going quietly.
    ————
    Last Thursday, Incognito apparently fired his agents via tweet, writing to the account of Athletes First, “You are Fired! I wish you guys nothing but the best moving forward. Thank you for all of your help and guidance along the the way. It’s time for me to go in a new direction.”

Damn if the Bills dont do something about that OL unit they they might get charges filed against them if anything serious happens to the QB they draft. Its kinda per-meditated to put a rookie out there behind an OL so bad.

This is a prime example of being positively negative!

Love the way he uses examples from years ago that has nothing to do with the current team. It’s not as dire as he makes it out to be.

Something else from RIchie: ““I’m done, I’m done, that’s it, It’s been a long career. My liver and kidneys are shutting down [according his doc]. Nothing I can’t restore with some balance, but the stress is killing me.” Mid-30s is mighty young for stress to impact your liver and kidneys, but does match up with roids. And we are talking about the guy who bashed his sports car with a baseball bat.

Have any of you dealt with a person with roid rage? Have with just one and was real scary, and he was an ex-NFL big ugly trying to get back in.

I’m not sure if we can take a DT before a TE but I wouldn’t be completely pissed off!

I like Phillips, I think he’ll be one of those guys who ends up being better than a lot of other prospects that will go before him.

wyoming85 says:
    April 10, 2018 at 1:58 pm
    This is a prime example of being positively negative!

No doubt, read meat for the haters. (LOL read meat)

Our thoughts? that he is a moron?

SB

To ABC

I know you think of PYT when you see MTP, but a different Jackson’s song came to mind . . .

M-T-P,

1 pick with Mike e-q-u-a-l-s THREE

He trades up so easy free, 1 is 3, never gets the player for you and me girl!

M-T-P
      Trades like he’s counting 1-2-3
      He tells them
      my second for your two threes
      Oh M-T-P, 1-2-3, dont let the Jets out draft us!

“I did hear he wasn’t impressed with TJ at safety,” – D. If you saw the whole interview, what he said was that McDonald had a great camp, but after the 8 game suspension, the communication wasn’t where it needed to be. Gase didn’t slam TJ at all.

I’ve said that before too but it still gets looked at in a negative way by some people. He was actually saying the communication between him and Jones wasn’t where it needed to be so they need to work on that. Oh my, the horror. They need to do a better job. LOL

Does anyone here think Anthony can be the other OLB?

Alonso, McMillan and Anthony gives us a pretty fast group of LBs. Then when we go to sub packages, only two, sometimes just one LB will be on the field. Allen also showed last year he’s a solid backup LB who also plays a lot of STs. I’m not as down on our LB unit as others are. Would it be good to add another LB to make the unit even better, yes but I do not think we’re weak. We didn’t even see McMillan play last year and he was a 2nd rd guy who was penciled in to start at MLB at the start of the PS.

Hard to say – He did play more towards the end of the season, maybe the last couple of games, but I’d be surprised if they don’t draft a LB by the 4th RD, and most likely by the 3rd.

Oh I think we’ll draft a LB for sure, but it’s not going to be dire if we miss out on Edmunds or Smith.

I think our defense is being underrated. Our corners are good tacklers even though Tankersley was given a weak grade as a prospect and he was anything but weak at it. Howard hits and tackles like a Safety. McCain really emerged as a consistent nickel and Jones and McDonald should be better this year.

Our DL has good talent, now everyone acts like there are holes because of Suh’s departure. It’s so silly how a few players moving on seems to make people think that’s all we had. LOL

I don’t believe one of the top four QB gets past Indie at 6. I think Luck is done.

I don’t see any of the 4 QBs falling past 6. I still think BUF is trading up. We’re not getting a QB at #11.

It depends on Denver imo. If Denver takes something other than a QB i think its possible we get a QB to fall to 11. I also am not convinced we wouldn’t trade up. I think we have less ammunition than Buffalo but i wouldnt put it past us trying if the right guy is still on the board and we have a team willing to make a trade with us.

NYG too. If they don’t take a QB and either does DEN, you have the Browns taking a QB, the Jets, the Bills would probably trade up for one, and then that leaves one for us.

Phelon – I think Luck will have this season to see if he can play, so i don’;t think the Colts are going to take a QB yet. If Luck is done, they can draft one next year, and will probably be drafting about the same place too

I dont see Anthony with that potential. He is playing a position where athletic ability is very necessary, but so football IQ is even more important and he doesnt seem to have that pre-snap read ability, and he also doesnt seem to read/react to the play right after the snap instinctively. I think he is a helluva a guy to have in depth/rotation, but unless he develops more, he isnt starter material.

I don’t think we’re going to see three LBs on the field all that often unless we can’t score points, be in most games and sometimes have leads for a change. The only way we see three LBs on the field a lot is if we’re trailing and teams are running on us to close it out. As soon as a team puts 3 WRs on the field, we’re at two LBs. That’s going to be probably no less than 65% of the time.

I liked some of what I saw with Anthony last year. He didn’t look lost. He looked physical and fast. It looked like we had a plan for him in how he was used. His assignments were simple. Blitz or cover the flat.

Yeah but thats what im saying. If he is a starter, and on the field for most snaps, he has to handle the complex stuff not just the dumbed down assignments.

Alonso and McMillan will be the main two LBs. I also think Allen is better than people think he is and why can’t he get better in his second season? He’s big and he can run. He looked really instinctive to me.

I dunno Mike. Luck has said he is feeling perfect. Doesn’t sound like a guy who is ready or anxious to get back in. And he still isn’t throwing regulation footballs.

I heard him this morning on NFL radio, he said he rushed to back too soon, skipped steps in his rehab, so now he’s doing it by the book so he’ll be ready for the season. There’s a chance he may be completely damaged goods, but I don’t think the Colts are going to give up on him this season.

D – I don’t think Indie intended or want to take a QB, but ithink given Luck’s interview and uncertainty that the pressure will be to great if one of the top four is there at 6.

They would be a dark horse candidate to go QB. I wouldnt rule it out but id be more surprised if they didnt trade back again.

That’s it….nobody agrees with me…I’m leaving!

Keep your eye on ARZ trading up for a QB. I don’t think the QBs will fall to us, we would have to trade up as well.

We have trade leverage over them, would cost a good bit more for them to move up. Buffalo can easily outbid us, but just because of us their cost is going to be pretty high.

Yes but it’s all about the conviction for a QB. My point is if a QB or two are there at #4, 5 or 6, that’s when teams will start looking to trade up. Maybe a team nobody is even thinking about. I just don’t think any of them are falling past that.

You are assuming we aren’t one of the teams with conviction about one of those QB’s.

The Colts have really nothing preventing them from trading down to 12, unless they want one of the two top LB’s, but they could hope to get Vander Esch or Rashaan Evans with their pick in the 2nd. They might want Minkah Fitzpatrick or Derwin James, and at 12, especially with 4 QB’s going ahead of them, they would still likely have a shot at one of them or one of the LB. They would also likely have a shot at Davenport as a passrusher to choose from, so i think trading with buffalo and picking up an additional 1st maybe a future first or a couple of this year day two picks might be too tempting.

April 10, 2018 at 4:01 pm

———————————-
    Allen or Anthony, i have been talking about Anthony. I cant say with Anthony’s limited snaps he did or didnt. Just not enough film and like you said he had simple assignments. If you watch Anthony at the Saints though you can see what people say aout him not knowing what to do at the snap. He was always a smidge off because he was having to see what happened after the play started developing before he caught on and reacted. His recovery ability is good, but in the NFL that athletic ability doesnt get you back in that play, its over before you know it. Yes im sure he can develop, and you will see if ya read my previous post to that one i said “unless he had developed some”, but there is nothing as of yet showing he did.

I can see both Anthony and Allen splitting time as the 3rd LB if we don’t land “the guy”. I still think we draft a LB, but he may not jump these two guys right away. Like Mike said, maybe a 3rd or 4th rd LB.

Just depends on how the draft unfolds. I the top 4 QBs do go before us, and we didnt trade up to take one, thn we could easily take Smith or Edmunds in the first. We could also take someone like Evans in the second (Saban/Gase connection). LB isnt as deep as some of the other positions, so i think we would premium it to not be something we waited too late to address. I cant see us getting past the 4th without having selected one.

D, no I’m not assuming we aren’t one of the teams possibly trading up for a QB. I said it’s about conviction, meaning which team sweetens the pot the most.

We have more sweetner than Arizona…. Im not saying we have the most, or our conviction level out does theirs, but assuming those to be equal (since you cant assume higher or lower) then we have better draft capitol than they do. Thats what i was saying.

Lets say we really want one of the QBs. For me #4 CLE is going to be real expensive. #5 DEN with the rift between Elway and Gase, Elway is going to want to ream us. #6 IND seems to be the best spot for us. The way this team is constructed, we’re built to compete now regardless of what some people say. You don’t retain and add vets if you’re starting over. So we would probably have to trade our 1st and 3rd or 4th this year, and then backload some of next year’s picks because we still need some draft this year to add some talent in some areas.

The Colts already got three 2’s from the Jets (two this year and one next year) so they would likely be willing to accept backloaded picks next year. They would have a lot of firepower to hone in on a QB next year if Luck isn’t right.

I think one of the “top 4” QB will be there at 11, 12, 13, 14…….22, 23, etc. Someone will trade back up into the 1st to get them. No way Jackson is taken in the first like Mondo say.

historically half of the top 3-4 qb’s in the draft are busts anyway.

I think the top 4 are considered Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield. Jackson is on the outside of that, but not by much

New season of Deadliest Catch starts tonight

If there is one @ 11 MTP may go HOG WILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m still supposed to believe we’re better without Suh aren’t I?

Of course you are

We can’t replace him but we can take a different approach which is the plan. We’re probably going to keep 9-10 DL and rotate a minimum of 8 in the game spreading out the reps more evenly. Suh played over 80% of the snaps, nobody will do that anymore. It’s that do your job mentality, not carry us or we fail mentality.

Whether you blame Gase for allowing himself to be influenced by some guys who were “top players” and he didn’t mix it up more, he seems to be doing that now. Nothing is perfect. It’s his 3rd season. This season is huge for the entire org.

If all the other kids were jumping off a bridge would you too?….just sayin.

SON: YES, we’re BETTER without SUH, we’re better without Landry and we’re better without AJAYI!! – – IF YOU believe that then I’ll tell you that Stormy Daniels got her Ph.D. in rocket science from STANFORD!!!
      ————
      WELL HERE”S the TRUTH. Miami went 2-7 after getting rid of Ajayi. And AJAYI proved to be very “coachable” and team oriented as he helped the Eagles win a SUPER BOWL!! Kinda puts the lie to what Dolphin reps said of Ajayi, doesn’t, it??? Frankly, I wouldn’t put any faith in what the DOOFUS BRIGADE says of any ex-Dolphin. Gotta see it for myself to believe it. And all I see is a franchise that’s gone 65-81 during the Steve Ross era while some people still insist “we’re heading in the right direction.” If “the right direction” means another year without a playoff victory then I’d agree the Ross ass-lickers are right.
      ———–
      HEADING OUT of the Sunshine State for several days with the beautiful Mrs. OD. We’ll visit Grandkids and Great Grand kids for parts of two days before setting up at a convention near Chattanooga. Don’t expect to hear one word about the Dolphins for the next several days. But WE WILL watch plenty of PLAYOFF HOCKEY on TV Thursday through Sunday.

You all remember the PLAYOFFS, RIGHT?? But do ANY of you remember attending a Dolphins playoff victory??

We don’t need no steenking defensive tackles!

ww.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article208515539.html

If we draft Goedert im not going to hear his name anytime they call it, all im going to hear is Joe Dirt.

D – What about all the other kids with their pumped up kicks?

I understand the salary cap. It’s easy Tannenbaum just showed us. You get rid of your best players and re up the 30 yr old QB who hasn’t played in a year and a half and then call yourself better.

We didn’t need Suh when we won back to back Super Bowls. Where he was he? Not even born, that’s where.

Dallas Goedert looks like the type of TE Tim spend the last decade telling us we didn’t need because Sims, Fasano, Arthur Lynch, and Clay were good enough.

My son actually went to SDSU. I’ve seen Jackrabbit football. It’s not even close to the level of competition you see in the big conferences. Goedert is a pretty good athlete, but he was rarely, if ever, tested by the competition. I’m a little bit worried about that. He’s long. He’s fluid. But, can he step up several levels of competition and do the same thing? Not all guys can. Billy Turner, anyone? And NDSU is a step above SDSU.

• naplesfan2010 says:

That’s why I do’t want him.
      I much prefer Gesicki or Hayden Hurst or Andrews or Ian Thomas.

You make an excellent point, but when it comes to the Draft, it’s all about projection at the next level.

I mean, we’ve seen top conference studs flame out fast in the NFL, while there are small school products who go on to All-Pro careers.

“Not all guys can” is absolutely correct, but some can. It’s a crap shoot, man.

Allen looked okay last year…but only when he played close to the LOS. He does not have the mobility to be anything but a box thumper. He’s a backup. We need an OLB.

Back in NYC

Lol, guess you had a good time

LOOKS TO ME like Piggy just got finished reviewing an advance copy of T-Bomb’s selections in the upcoming draft. PS: This time T-Bomb traded FOUR PICKS for an Oregon defender who can’t play plus he traded the other picks for a Rutgers wide receiver who can’t play.

STEVE ROSS CHUCKLES and gives T-Bomb a raise plus an extension!!

I realize I’m probably in the minority on this one, but I’m not overly impressed with Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma. His tape doesn’t floor me, Baker Mayfield nearly always placed it in his breadbasket, and his Combine numbers are extremely underwhelming.

I’m not sure why so many draftniks have him as TE1 on their boards. To be sure, he doesn’t suck, but I think he’s WAY overrated… especially being he’s been cited as an “unwilling” blocker.

Anyway, here’s how I’d rank this year’s crop of TEs right now (at least for US Phins)…
    1) Mike Gesicki
    2) Hayden Hurst
    3) Dallas Goedert
    4) Mark Andrews
    5) Durham Smythe

snihP SU – US Phins backwards reveals the PSU.

Akens from UCF a sleeper

😆 @ reveals the PSU!

Son, there was a college chick on “Jeopardy!” last night from UCF… she ROCKED!!! I think she’s going to the semi-finals of this year’s “College Jeopardy!”. I was thinking about ya when I saw her UCF sweatshirt.

Yeah she’s a big deal around here now

I was VERY impressed with her knowledge.

I have similar rankings

I’m not unimpressed with andrews but I don’t look at his tape like some of the others

I think my ranking of the top 3 is the same as yours

I don’t see the need to draft Josh Jackson @ R1P11 with our young DBs in-house, but he’s my #1 DB this year. He’s gon’ be a STUD BALLHAWK(!!!) for somebody.

SON-OF-A-SON: ANSWER for you up the page just below D’s 6:30 PM post. Hope you enjoy it!!!

161. naplesfan2010 says:

Royce Freeman caught 80 of 89 passes thrown to him.

Wow people have a way with exaggerating statements. Whatever rocks your boat!

One of my favorite songs over the recent years…

Part Deux shall soon be: “Bombs Over Damascus”…

Some of the just score guy’s should love Andrews?
    Backer?
    Scheme?
    Whatever!

GOEDERT!

I like that quote from PFF about Josh Jackson – paraphrase ‘opposing qb’s would have had higher ratings if they just threw the ball at the ground instead.’

LOL

and the first thing that happens is that Albert Wilson drops an easy pass and then Amendola bobbles a line drive and it gets picked off. Even in my dreams man.

well, those were both bad throws and both Tannehill’s fault. He should have used some touch on the pass to Amendola instead of line driving it in there…..even in my dreams I hear the haters.

how do you ponounce that……. GO-DIRT??

No way we leave Edmunds on the board and take James!

I kind of agree Wyo, I would take Edmunds 10 times out of 10. James is an excellent prospect in his own right, but Edmunds would be playing a lot more and give us a much bigger impact.

NEW BLOG UP!