Miami Dolphins Defense 2018

We won’t get our first look at this newly crafted Dolphins defense until our first minicamp, which will be June 5-7, but we can catch a small glimpse at the OTA workouts which will be May 22-24, May 29-31 and then June 11-14.  I can’t wait to see the new faces, and even some new old faces.  We’ve definitely made a lot of changes, and only time will tell if the moves we’ve made help our team.  Besides the obvious cap cost cutting of Ndumakong Suh, the Dolphins brought in DE Robert Quinn for an exchange of draft picks, the Dolphins sending the Rams 2018 4th and 6th RD picks, in exchange for the Rams 2018 6th RD pick and of course, Robert Quinn. We recently traded a 2019 7th RD pick to the Detroit Lions for DT Akeem Spence.  In the draft we selected the versatile FS/CB/DB Minkah Fitzpatrick who can cover anywhere on the field, against anyone on the field, from RB’s to TE’s, to WR’s.  To continue the pass coverage theme, the Dolphins drafted speedy cover LB Jerome Baker in RD 3.  In RD 6, the Dolphins added another piece in CB Cornell Armstrong who will add depth to our CB stable.  In RD 7, LB Quentin Poling will be a ST’s player, and then we signed a bunch of UDFA’s, most notably Utah State CB Jalen Davis.

It seems as if we’ve made quite a few changes, and in my mind, it was quite necessary.  Of course, offensive struggles beget defensive struggles, but I’m just talking about the defense, which was far from good last year.  Mid pack in yardage allowed, and 29th in points allowed.  Something had to change, and changes were swiftly made.  While jettisoning Suh won’t make us a better defense, my hope is we will be less reliant on one player.  As great as Suh is/was, he played an insane amount of snaps, and let’s face it, he’s still human, and at 6’4 310, playing close to 900 snaps with the majority of them being double teamed had to be exhausting.  I think more frequent rotations of lineman will ultimately benefit our team.  You can’t expect one man to do it all, and I think in some ways that’s what happened.

Let’s look at the front 7.  New additions to this group are 2017 NFL Draft 2nd RD pick LB Raekwon McMillan.  I’m excited to see the young man back on the field manning the MLB position.  He earned the job last season, and hopefully now healthy, will retake it.  We traded for DE Robert Quinn, and he should be starting, and then getting some help from last year’s 1st RD pick DE Charles Harris.  36 year old Superman Cam Wake returns for his 10th NFL season, and we brought back run stopping DE/DT William Hayes for another season.  DT’s Jordan Phillips and last year’s 5th RD pick and surprise success DT Davon Godchaux will likely be the starters, but again, there will be frequent substitutions to keep players fresh.  We may see the LB we traded a 2018 5th RD pick for to the Saints Stephone Anthony man the SLB spot, and returning WLB Kiko Alonso.  We declined to pick up the 5th YR option on Anthony, which hopefully will have Anthony playing hungry for a new contract.

I think what we’ve really improved upon this season is depth, and that definitely counts big time in a sport where injuries occur daily.  This is what I believe at the moment would be our starting lineup, and then depth behind the starters.

RE Robert Quinn/Charles Harris

DT Jordan Phillips/Vincent Taylor

DT Davon Godchaux/Akeem Spence

LE Cam Wake/William Hayes

SLB Stephone Anthony/T.J. McDonald

MLB Raekwon McMillan/Chase Allen

WLB Kiko Alonso/Jerome Baker

RCB Cordrea Tanskersley/Tony Lippett

LCB Xavien Howard/Torry McTyer

NB Bobby McCain

FS Minkah Fitzpatrick

SS Reshad Jones

I think safety T.J. McDonald will be transitioning to LB play on passing downs, and I won’t be surprised in the least if our 2 nickel LB’s at some point of the season are Jerome Baker and T.J. MCDonald.  I strongly believe Minkah Fitzpatrick will be our starting safety from day 1, and will easily earn that spot next to Reshad Jones.  I truly hope that McDonald will embrace that change and take it as a positive.  We have him under contract for 4 years, now he just needs to play where we need him, and earn it!  Even if Minkah Fitzpatrick does start, it’s great to have McDonald right behind him on the depth chart.

Charles Harris seems like the forgotten man after trading for Robert Quinn, but I think he will see plenty of snaps on passing downs at both RE and LE, subbing for both Quinn and Wake.  I think he’s actually going to have a very nice season for us.  At LB, the additions of McMillan and Baker should make both the run defense (Raekwon) and the pass defense (Baker) better.  Add in T.J. McDonald, and it just seems so much better than watching Kiko Alonso trailing just about anyone from 5-10 yards behind them.  I know it’s unfair, but that’s what it looked like most of the time, and that’s why Baker and McDonald are here.  If Robert Quinn is healthy, we can hope for big things from him, and if he starts out hot, Wake will benefit as well, because Quinn will get more attention, which will allow Wake to just beat the RT, and not worry about a RB or TE on his side.

At DT, Jordan Phillips will have his chance to show the NFL he’s a premier player with the absence of Ndumakong Suh.  He’s now going to be the man, and up and comer Davon Godchaux, who had a nice rookie season now steps up into the starting lineup.  Redundantly, and I apologize, there will be lots of rotation, but the next guys in need to hold their own, and that’s where trading for Akeem Spence comes in.  He’s been the next guy in for Detroit, and should thrive in that role here in Miami.  Vincent Taylor will be also counted on to be that next guy in, and DE William Hayes can double as a DT on passing downs, much like the NASCAR or speed package many teams employ.

Last year at CB, Xavien Howard really made a late season push, and hopefully he takes over where he left off.  Cordrea Tankersley looked good out of the starting gates, but had his ups and downs IMO, but the knock on him that he shies away from tackling didn’t show itself last year, which was encouraging.  Slot CB Bobby McCain easily had his best and most consistent season last year.  Arguably, he was our best DB last season.  To me though, the biggest addition is S Minkah Fitzpatrick.  Like I said earlier, he will be starting from day one, and he’s the lynch pin to the back end of the defense.  He gives us something we haven’t had our in quite some time, a player who can protect the CB’s in our zone defense.  He has the instincts, the speed, and the recovery speed to make plays in the secondary.  This allows Reshad Jones to help out closer to the LOS, with Minkah patrolling the deep skies.  Honestly, I just can’t wait to see this in play.

I don’t think we’re going to be a top 10 defense this season, but I do think we will be close in some categories, and if the offense holds up it’s end of the bargain, who knows, maybe top 10 is attainable. Why not us?  next week, I’m going to look at the offense, but in the meantime,  D-fense! D-fense!  D-Fense!

1,432 Responses to Miami Dolphins Defense 2018

I got on some where around 2006 I think?????
    My superpower – Stalking quietly waiting to drop a sarcasm bomb!

LOL I knew what you were implying with ‘in the club’ I was just playing dumb to

SQUIRREL!!!!!!!

All good Steve, Tone does not come across well on there. I knew you were only bustin balls.

If you didnt notice I was originally saying what you said, so everything I said to you I was saying to myself.

son of a son of a shula says:

May 10, 2018 at 9:08 am

He went by Mr Bungle when I first started reading along and then posting.

I remember Mr Bungle, I did not know that was Tim.

Why am I remembering this number?

Mike, kind of serious. I remember now you having (Mike E) in parentheses after NJ I just can’t remember what your NJ name was. (I can’t remember what I had for dinner last night either so there is that) Later after you changed fully to Mike E I didn’t associate you with NJwhateveritwas.

Yep, Tim was going by Mr. Bungle when I first was on the boards. I remember thinking “Cool, another Mike Patton fan!”.

Wasn’t there an SNL skit, or maybe it was Kids in the Hall, or one of those comedy troupes of Mr. Bungle? It was basically like a takeoff of one of those old educational films of “how NOT to do things”.

Rock – I was NJ1Dolfan, and NJ was NJ PhinPhan. Then I went to NJ1Dolfan (Mike E)

i remember think’n, not another NJ fin fan! one’s enough, DAMN!

i started on topix

i remember jet fan use to drive home up the wall!

i remember home stalking Tim relentlessly

Rock
    I used to use the Yahoo boards back in the day!
    It was around 2006 or so when I stumbled onto the SS blog.

I remember making a comment and all of Homes personalities would call you a “dip shit” for the next 20 posts!

I took a lot of breaks from the board back then!!!!!!!!!!

Omar would ask us to please click on his videos, i think the more clicks the better for him… So NJ got his feathers ruffled, i can’t remember the reason but that dude Chris banned him for it.
    I know NJ and I had are bad moments and i know he didn’t like me however that blog would not be the same without him.
    so i devised a plan to protest getting NJ back, i kept posting until NJ comes back i’m protesting clicking on any links that Omar provided and was urging others to do the same.
    Omar came on the site and was devastated.
    It worked like a charm….the next day NJ was posting.. LOL

Chris T was a cool guy, he wasn’t always the moderator. If something happened when he wasn’t there, he would look into it,and say to us something what you kids do now?

• ocalarob says:

There was another moderator their or maybe the manager, i think her name was Maria?? anyway she was very HOT!!

Chris T was awesome. And he didn’t ban on content….those were all at Omar’s request unless obvious outside troll stuff. He did take it a bit personal when Home would try and clog the board out of useful existence though.

• ocalarob says:

Chris would ban if arguments got out of hand and rightfully so, i remember he banned Walker.

on topix someone was an imposter of Home, and kept saying negative things that Home would think the opposite, Home kept accusing jetfan, it was funny as hell

Why is the lower part of Bryce’s picture blurred out? It’s as though he’s flipping the bird because he went to the stej.

I started with the blog on the SS in 2008, a little known acquisition in the Pennington signing. I remember I had also posted on the Herald but it seemed very strange there in a bad way. So I stuck with the SS.

You made the right choice, for us that is 😉

We’re all better off, because you’re here, but I can’t say you’re better off, because you’re here with us 😁

The Herald blog was a zoo. It was crazy there. A few people made their way from the Herald to the SS, like Payaso and a couple of others, but it was a like a free for all on the herald, like a HS class with a substitute teacher. lol

BTW I saw sometime this week that Hewitt signed with the Jets. I hate that. Glad he still gets a chance to play but any other team. Did anyone post that on here? I’m always surprised when I read something like that elsewhere that I didn’t already know about from here.

I believe it was on here, I remember it being discussed.

FYI, I’ll be in Charleston WV soon for a day.

What part of WV do you live in?

• herdfan says:

That’s where I am. When is it? What brings you to my neck of the woods?

• herdfan says:

And goes to show I’m not reading the blog every day. It’s been crazy busy at work lately.

The girlfriend and I are doing a capital tour of all the state’s, going back through some of the state’s we didn’t see the capitals in. If you want to meet for a quick drink or something email me at the address I have on this site.

• herdfan says:

Cool. It’s funny, I suppose our capital building is pretty, l used to work there way back in the day. It’s hard to think that someone wants to visit it on purpose. 😂

I ran into a guy last weekend wearing a WVU shirt, he was boasting about your capital.

M – I don’t buy into anything with Parker. He’s just got to out there and prove it for a full season. We hear this every season, and he always disappoints. This is his $$$ year, so hopefully that pushes him harder.

I’m right there with ya, Mike E. Being it’s his $$$ year, I EXPECT to see a great season out of DeVante this year. Time shall reveal…

I cant see us giving him anything close to the money he could make in FA, if he has a good year, see whats his name KC signed, from the Rams through Buffalo.

Not sure, if it’s better he has a great year compared to a pretty good year. Don’t know if he sees the throws his way needed for a great season. I’d like to see modest # of catches with 7 TDs. Too many Yes will cost too much, spread the wealth.

That didn’t take long

I changed from Mr. Bungle because that is an actual patent name and someone created a phony blog using that name pretending it was me, so I wanted no link to it.

Parker’s issues have been about staying healthy. He happens to be a part of that WR draft class that have all had durability issues.

Parker shouldn’t have been on the field last year if he was injured so much. I can’t count how many INTs he was responsible last year. He wasn’t able to jump up and contest balls which was supposed to be a strength. They should have had him on more underneath stuff while he was on the field. Rarely did I see him used like that. They keep throwing those jump balls to him.

He did miss 3 games because of his foot injuries. I guess in some of those other games he tried to play through it but you’re right, he did hurt the team by not being healthy in some of those instances.

steveccnv says:
    May 10, 2018 at 12:49 pm (Edit)

Gotta watch out for those WVU shirt wearing folks. It could be just any uneducated redneck. You see someone wearing a Herd shirt? You know they’re educated. 😊

Lol, this guy had a son going to WVU Law School, but he was in Fallon NV, so the redneck label applies.

CavalierKong says:

May 10, 2018 at 10:54 am

That’s funny, When Tim changed to “Knight who says Ni”, I thought cool, another Monty Python fan.

Lol, it’s funny, all the little dynamics that went into the community we’ve all created here. Pretty awesome. Glad to have found it pretty early on, and still be a part of it.

• bookman11 says:

Exactly,

Time sure does fly, I can’t believe how long this has been going on.

LOL, good times!

Omg…I had completely forgotten about fan. It’s funny now but was soooo annoying then.

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly 14m14 minutes ago
    “We have a guy who is ready to bust out,” Dolphins coach Adam Gase said of Kenyan Drake.

Just don’t let ORob see this. LOL

It was weird that “Home” focused so much on Tim. Probably because they are polar opposites?
    Tim is level headed, a voice of reason and generally optimistic, and sane, and Home is well……opposite of that….LOL

PHINS TRIVIA

As of right now — 5/10/18 — how many former NFL 1st round picks do we employ?

First to submit the correct answer will receive an autographed driver from our guy ORob! GO!

Relaxing

Quinn, Harris, Anthony, Fitzpatrick
    Tunsil, James, Tannehill, Parker

40. 13kvFINS says:

Posted thoughts on/at previous thread..

Thanks for the heads up Stanger !!!

On D..

As I suggested where I hang …

I don’t believe that we’ve had two really good softies at the same time since the Blackwood Brothers, and/or Two great ones since #40 & 13 !!!

Presently, we have THREE really good, if not great or soon to be great Safties!!!

GOFINS!!!

You Gyz/gals hear Gase today on the audible??
    Gase starts13 minutes in…

[audio src="https://miadolphins.akamaized.net/MIA/audios/dct/video_audio/2018/05-May/AUD010_Audible-Episode-10---Guest-Adam-Gase-Final.mp3" /]

Jesus, i’d Forgotten the days when people would come in under other people’s handles or come in with new handles and not say who they were. And, I forgot about Chris having to shake his finger at us and have “the talk”. Lol
    ***
    It was fun though.

Good to see you 13kvFINS.

steve,
    It was like the Wild West, so I enjoyed watching the drama. It was like rubbernecking a car crash.

Ahh huh

It’s much more fun here, because admin understands the context and doesn’t ban like Omar blocks. Don’t think you’d get away with some of the innocent things said here like telling someone to fuck off or asking someone about their bag of dicks. Also the trolling, especially by Home was irritating, like when he’d post the same thing over and over 50 times.

• 13kvFINS says:

LOL, “”Home”””, can you say “””simply DBess””” a million times…

Tortured us at TinsFins too back in the day!!!

GOFINS!!!

HEY back @ye Knight : )))

steve,
    I almost never read anything Home posted, so that probably helped me. Lol
    ***
    The trolling was not cool, but if you were a regular you could tell who was really whom and what was going on. And, if it was just too much silliness, you could always leave. Of course, it helped that I was never really the object of it. Somebody did impersonate me once, but it didn’t last long. I’m too boring to impersonate for long. Lol

Where are the NJCBs?

I’m just going to say this about Gase. I don’t know how he didn’t know about what Forster was doing last year. I’m sure most of us have been around people who were doing coke or have yourself. No way he couldn’t have known about it. 😳🤧

I just hope this season he proves he was the right man for the job. 🤞🏻

I feel the same way about Forster. That experience got me really down there on Gase.

Overtime could be nothing when we look back but it also could have been a sign of things to come

If Foerster is a high strung guy which a lot of coaches are, it might not be that easy to tell if he was doing coke. Probably would be easier to tell if he was smoking weed. LOL

He’s got a lot on his plate, and there’s maybe 100+ people in the building, so unless Forster did it out in the open, how would Gase know? Sure there’s signs, but he was dealing with Ajayi and others too at the time, and not to mention his 24 hour a day regular job, but…

What’s with this Mike and I being softies? LOL

just having fun with funny typo

I saw 13kvFINS typo, but how did it become Mike and I?

• 13kvFINS says:

I fixed it like 5 times and it kept spell checking back to softies!!

Stupid spell check like it never heard the word Safties before!!!

Maybe I should have spelt it
        with a (WHY apostrophe S)??

Anyways, we haven’t had a duo let alone a trio of really good to great Safties at the same time since forever!!

Jones has had a different rag tag sidekick practically every year of his career!!! He wasn’t the Jones we now know when he was the sidekick to YBell, and so on all the way back to the Blackwood Brothers if not Jake & Dick!!! Lucky 13’s name wasn’t Jack…

GOFINS!!!

You guys are the easiest to have fun with, so it meant nothing. I wish i was strung that way.

Hey 13kv. Good to see ya back here.

Why do the Pets get a pass on everything? What is the deal with this Matt Patricia stuff mattering now that he’s going to the Lions, but it apparently didn’t matter the entire time he was with the Pets?

looks like everyone’s feasting on member berries

Lol at 13kv, saf E ties

Ajayi WHOOO !!!

Rut row, if Kalen sucks for us you heard it hear first. I dont like his picture, maybe its just a bad one, but he has that Sleepy Floyd look in his eye like Dion Jordan had. The super fine look, like he just smoked a J.

Just google imaged him and theres others that look concerning, but some that looked really good. Maybe RB is a lonely enough position that it doesn’t matter, since you’re always running for your life. Anyways something I’ll be watching.

13KV! What it is brother?

Ehhh Mike

“”It is”” great to see you all still kick’n arse,
      and always (like I never left) being welcomed to be a part of it,
      Lov’n everything the Fins did!!!

GOFINS!!!

Hell yeah KV – Always more than welcome here man! I’m also very happy with our off season, definitely feeling very positive about all our moves so far, including our excellent draft.

Kalen Ballage is going to be a very good player for us. I can feel it

Here we go… and I don’t like seeing these kinds of things happening.

• Phindog says:

That’s not something you see everyday.

• naplesfan2010 says:

There’s an emu farm (ranch?) up the highway from here about 38 miles.
        I think you can pick out your bird and take home the meat that day like a turkey.

A really really BIG turkey.

THOUGHT for just a second this was about Sand Hill Cranes, which we have in abundance in the Tampa suburbs.
      —————
      An alum of Eastern Michigan University said his school actually gave some consideration to calling their athletic teams the Fighting EMU’s. I told him “keep your day job!”

M – No question man, always tragic. I actually had no idea Street was drafted in the 4th RD. Wow, good for him. He tore his ACL working out for the Giants pre-draft.

Game 7 NHL drama starts in just a few minutes in Nashville.
    MANITOBA, I wish your team all the luck in the world!!

The draft class jersey numbers were released.
    Fitzpatrick 29
    Gesicki 86
    Baker 55
    Smythe 46
    Ballage 33
    Armstrong 31
    Poling 51
    Sanders 7

The UDFAs got them too but I’m not posting them. LOL

60. naplesfan2010 says:

So Tim cover your eyes or ears or whatever you need to do as I am gonna talk schedule here for a minute.

Although this year’s seems like a really difficult schedule as in group of teams to play, it is not as bad of a sequence as last year’s, and if we can start fast, we could have a playoff spot all but wrapped up by the bye. 8-2

It is not hard to project a 12-4 record if we get on a roll and certain other teams get all wack.
    Of course it is also easy to see 8-8.

61. naplesfan2010 says:

by that I mean if our offense cooks and NY and Buff have rookie QB growing pains and NE continues to age, we could go 5-1 in the division.

62. naplesfan2010 says:

Roubbens Joseph #73 is 6’4 312 @ OT.
    David Steinmetz #69 is 6’8 310 @ OT.

But i predict neither makes it even to the practice squad.

You guys can see by Baker being #55 Misi is no longer on the team.

64. naplesfan2010 says:

Quincy Redmond #66 @ DE.is 6’6 250.
    Jamiyus Pittman #65 @ DT.is 6’1 319.

These guys probably both make it to the practice squad, but no more.

Not so sure if I should buy the 86 jersey in white or aqua

What do you guys think?

66. naplesfan2010 says:

#60 Claudy Matthieu @ DE is 6’6 250, but he has no chance to stick.
    #61 Connor Hiland @ C is 6’4 303 and has a chance at the PS.

• naplesfan2010 says:

IMHO on all of these of course.

2 LBs are long shots to make the PS.
      They lose out in the numbers game as we drafted 2 and signed another.
      #53 Cayson Collins is 6’1 230
      #58 Mike McCray is 6’4 242.

13Kv! 🤩

What up man!?

• 13kvFINS says:

Hey now ROCK, Doin awright thanks, good to read Da’Mob!!!

Comments are so fun, that I still haven’t had a chance to read the piece as I was reading/posting today at red lights between jobs!!!

Damn Dolphins cost me at least an hour if not two everyday,
      I’d be so fired if I had to work at someone else’s pace!!!

GIGGITTY, GOFINS!!!

Man bring up MIA posters and one returns to the fold.

Gonna get me a #46 this weekend😙

Naples I cannot really hope we get to meet at the fest this year we can compare homeraid recipies and brewing techniques. LOL 🤪

12-4!!!?

LOL 😆 😂

Naples, you never know what UDFAs will impress. It will all work itself out. As we know injuries and bizarre things happen. This team needs a real competitive camp and some good fortune this year. Tough cuts are a good thing, easy ones not so much.

Looks like we’re about to go head to head Toba.

Game 7 playoff hockey is awesome as long as it’s not a blowout. There is nothing like the drama of a close game where every shift is important. Enjoy!

73. naplesfan2010 says:

Lucas Gravelle #49, who is only 6′ 224, will probably get death threats if he makes the team @ LS.

DT #43 Anthony Moten has a slim chance to make the PS @ 6’4 295.
    #41 Johnathan Alston does not even have a position listing (prob a Safety). Camp body only.
    #38 Buddy Howell 6’1 215 is a RB with a chance to show he deserves a look at RB with another team.

We probably keep 4 RBs so Howell has to beat out Perry and Radcliff. STs is a must for all of those guys and Perry has the most experience doing it. Competition is good from top to bottom.

Tim, why do you keep talking about Misi, like he’s still on the team?

No I said it’s official, I never saw a report until today that validated it. I knew he most likely wasn’t coming back and my offseason roster posts and discussions showed that because I never listed him. So there! LOL

Gesicki will have his #88 before too long. Owusu will probably beat out Carroooooooo

It doesn’t even matter. Just play well big man. Whoever the possible 6th WR is he will have to play STs because I think our top 5 are almost penciled in – Stills, Amendola, Wilson, Parker and Grant (returns). But I agree Carroo is going to have a tough time making the team this year.

• 13kvFINS says:

Liked Owusu last preseason, probably more upside than Carroo at this point, but haven’t totally given up on Carroo though I’d like to see Gesicki in 88 !!!

WOOOO-HOOOO – – – Manitoba’s Jets already up 2-0 midway thru the 1st period!!! Preds goalie Pekka Rinne (that’s Finnish for ‘Little Pekaaa) has already been YANKED!–VISITING TEAM has won last 3 games in this series!! Teams that take 2-0 leads in game 7’s have won over 80% of those game 7’s since the switch to the current format.
    Think I’ll keep the Jets’ lid on.

55 is a fine LB number – I remember we had pretty quick LB maybe in the 80’s or 90’s Chris Singleton who wore #55

How did this become such an insult?

79. naplesfan2010 says:

That leaves the two UDFAs with the best chance to make the 53.

One the PK from FAU #5 Greg Joseph, because that position is so mental,
    and the other guy is no Sebastian Janikowski.
    Joseph is taller and heavier and comes from a similar level program, plus he has been kicking in the heavy Miami atmosphere, whereas the drafted guy has been out in the high NM desert.

Even more possible …
    I think Jalen Davis is the classic “OMG how did he not get drafted?” type guy.
    He has a real shot at being a successful player in the NFL.

just my initial predictions.
    i hope they all have great careers somewhere in the NFC if they can’t help us.

80. naplesfan2010 says:

Rookies sometimes buy a number from a fringe vet, but i bet Caroo has too much pride to give up the 88 that way. I think he thinks he is still a viable option at WR.

Frankly I always thought he had talent and was just buried behind the 1st 3 guys.
    I always thought Grant is a gadget guy until last year. So small.

Carroo has been here long enough to take it and run with it but he hasn’t. This is his last chance in Miami. He couldn’t jump our top 3 last year and Grant jumped him. He’s at best #6 to start this year. I’m not trying to knock him, he just hasn’t played his way into a bigger role. If he was awesome he’d be playing.

13kv, what do you think of our offseason acquisitions both FA and draft? Who are the players you really see making an impact that you’re excited about?

Positional jersey #s have changed quite a bit in the last decade or whatever.

I got a White # 17 in the mail today!
    It’s sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Green #36 should arrive tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may have seen it??????????????

There are 11 WRs on the roster, the only new ones that weren’t part of the org last year are Amendola and Wilson. An example of the knowledge of the system throughout the roster with the exception of our additions. A lot of players who know how it works here. I think that was part of the plan. Even guys who won’t make the team know the system. The newbees have a lot to lean on going forward.

Year one under Gase was all new, year two he started to pick and choose what he thought he had. This 3rd offseason was add what we have to have to what he likes.

Most position groups have enough players with system knowledge to pass it down now than what was before. That may seem trivial but I think it means a lot.

Thanks for the Lid On OD. I just niw caught up to LIVE game. 4-1 go Jets GO

Well that’s a start!

Wmpty Netter 5-1 Jets 2:33 left 🏒🙏😎

NOW its OVER. Bring on the Knights

90. 13kvFINS says:

Knight..

You asked!!!

Bryce Petty ; ))
    Wasn’t interested in any QB draftee other than “”IT”” Baker,
    Figured he was the only one that had a chance of unseating my-boy THill before 2020!!

Ohh man Knight that’s a dangerous question to ask me, I can go on for days, liked pretty much everything!!!

Try to be brief…
    Loved Suh, but glad that we’ll soon be no longer imprisoned via his salary…

Figured, 26 one million dollar guys, or three 9 mill guys is a better alternative.. Already got Two DLmen of substance relatively a third of Suh’s 26..

I’m excited about all the draftees, went 3 for 3 with my 3 round (pre-draft) target list, got one of top 5 in first (two were gone), one of top two in second (both were TE), and my top 4 guy in the third (two were gone!!! Loving Ballage too, there quite a few runs on his “”me against the world”” highlight that displayed absolutely incredible speed, vision, balance, and power to boot all on one play a multitude of times, WOWWW,Hence Ajayi WHOOO!!!

Think that youthful Wilson & Pedigree Amendola combined will easily match 14’s yardage & TD totals, for a lesser price.. Liked 14 between whistles, but had enough of his theatrics En-Vogue first down pose when we’re in the hurryup, and instigating our prized offensive weapons being kicked out of game for seasons final (what could’ve been) game winning drive!!

Love that we got TWO WR’s and TWO OL for the relative price of one,
    and a year younger OL with Kilgore/Sitton rather than Pouncey/Bushrod.. Pouncey & Suh we’re supposed to make each other better via practice, but 51 never practiced, and o17 was his first 16 game season since o12.. Sitton has 3 of last four probowls, Pouncey/Bushrod had a total of four and none come lately!!!

Robert Quinn 27, love that acquisition so that Branch’s 10 mill can be dumped in o19, Andy having the opposite end to Harris when CWake
    hangs’Em’up!!!

Really glad we made that trade for DT Spence too!!!
    Liked Stanford DTHarrison Phillips in the 3rd but we went with LB Baker who I liked since dominating the skills challenge gauntlet!!!!

Hope K Sanders is’Da’chit, cuz I had my heart set on Eddie Piniero
    for months, I actually wanted him (pre-draft) with one of our 4ths,
    but very happy with Smythe & Ballage with those picks!!! Coulda still landed Piniero in the 6th, but guess that Rizzi wanted our K to be his very own diamond in the ruff…

Bro I could go for dayzzz, birding wanna make folks sleepy/wear out my welcome!!! Sure I missed someone/thing, like the new coaches resumes, Brief as humanly possible for me, but thanks for asking of my views!!!

LOVED IT ALL, GOFINS!!!
    Go Bryce Petty go, wink!!!
    Oh Yea, think that Brock (if called upon)
    is a better, more youthful, more upside
    with a better chance of winning than MM!!!
    He was my second round plan B to first round THill in o12,
    like his talent & moxey, think he went 5-2 in Peyton’s place,
    all that dough messed him up in Houston, think he could still blossom, odd that he two years younger than THill though both are o12 draftees!!!

K, DONE, LOL, I TOLD YOU, LOL!!!
    Sorry for asking??? LOL!!!

Probably said this at least once already,
    GOFINS!!!

Cool, man. Same here. If we don’t get hit with too many injuries or bizarre circumstances we should be okay. LOL

• 13kvFINS says:

Yea, that’s pretty much what I suggested with last comment at previous thread, before Stanger told me you guys were here…

Comment from previous thread

GoodStuff MikeE!!!

Yea, FU LV!!
        Still think that the Las Vegas Raiders shoulda drafted that one armed bandit LB..

We got Quinn and Stephone out of this draft too,
        While McMillan & Asiati might as well be new rookies too!!!

Lippett returns as o16 team leader in picks,
        And we get our ONE TIME injured QB back!!!

QB and definitive cogs stay healthy,
        And I don’t see outside distractions like (13 consecutive weeks that included)
        Losing THE starting QB two weeks before opening day, or
        Irma/week one home opener/cancelled bye weeks, an AWOL Timmons,
        a white Dragon rideing OL coach,
        a what had become diva RB, ball hog slot receiver,
        or a drunk in public Maualuga
        among numerous other uncontrollable beyond the field instances
        taking a toll on weekly performances!!!

Not sure Vegas agrees with their own prognostication??
        Kinda odd!!

Play the under, and you risk more than you can win..
        Play the over, and you risk less than you can win…

Seems odd, don’t it??

Ehhh to all THE MOB,

13kvFINS says:
        May 10, 2018 at 11:53 am

Got TWO WR’s for the price of one,
        TWO OL for the price of one,
        and already got TWO DL for a third of the price of one!!

What’s not to like???

So heading into early camps our roster breakdown looks like this.

Offense:

40 – probably keep 25

STs:
    K 2
    P 1
    LS 2
    5 – keep 3

3 roster spots open for 90. I see some moves happening in June once Suh’s $17M becomes available. Nothing major, competition and more experience where needed – TE, DT and K.

3.9 wins? Well why even bother? I guess I will check in again next year to see if we have a better chance.

so all the speculation by you guys that TJ McDonald would be moving to linebacker got shot down by Adam Gase

Until he’s out there playing LB. 😀

• 13kvFINS says:

Agree, Gase doesn’t wanna give anybody an additional 3 plus months to prep for TJ at LB or wherever…

Though I can see Fitz in place of Tank, or BMc on numerous occasions…

X & Fitz makes for a hell of a shutdown CB tandem,
        But for the most part I see 3 safEties at wherever…

GOFINS!!!

With Miami’s rookie minicamp being more of a symposium type we can at least read easier that there will be no freak injuries like we see across the league every year

SUPER CONGRATS TO MANITOBA’S JETS!! Interesting bet U have with Steve.
    ———-
    Hockey’s FINAL FOUR begins tonight as Bolts host Washington. VISITING TEAMS have won 37 and lost 34 games this playoff season–unprecedented in the modern era.!

Gase says a lot of things.

Rock – Gase agrees with me that we have better depth. 😛

Tim – More recently, and possibly even more frustrating (to me at least) . . .

DT3 wore #33 originally, before switching to #30

That is a professor emoji In honor of you crowing how right you are before the evidence is actually in

I just hope going AWOL, Dodging hurricanes and Snorting Cocaine is in our wake.

The Aqua 88 Club

Jim Mandich , Keith Jackson, Chris Carter, Jeff Ogden, Nate Jacquet, Derrius Thompson, Jeron Mastrud, Brian Kinchen, Vince Heflin David Martin, Leonte Carroo. MIke Gesicki.

Team site has BOTH Carroo and Gesicki wearing 88. Steel cage match for the number? Carroo would probably win, since Gesicki couldn’t “block” any of Carroo’s punches. lol

Stanger – Yeah, I saw that article. Not sure where he got his info from

I like that Tunsil is #78. True LT number

Stanger – The Calm Peach Toast says Gesicki is #86. lol

Over at the Savage Slipper they are trying to find out were Nomar is going on his honeymoon!

On NFL . com they do not have a jersey available for Gesicki yet and Carroo’s #88 is on clearance at 1/2 price……

They are probably right. And it is on that flash number thing the Phins put out, but then the Phins do the roster on their website too. 🙂

LOL @ Rock – I bet!

Wyo – Isn’t the Savage Slipper an old hotel in Vegas? 🙂

The Low Budget in the red light district Miami!

Or is all of Miami a “red” light district????????? 😉

You don’t have to ROXANNE put on the red light,

you don’t have to ROXANNE put on the red light

Things to look forward too!

Right on KV – I think there will be numerous combinations of personnel to match up better with what opposing offenses throw at us. If you think about it, it really makes sense. Why have the same people covering 2 smaller WR’s as you would 2 TE’s and a big WR? Mix it up man, just like they do.

Just talked to Chef Warren…..he is now a father for the first time, and he is already loving the ten fingers, ten toes and the rest of the boy. Man has some busy times coming up.

WOW, congratulations to chef warren! Stanger, isn’t he about our age? Late start! He’ll be 70 when his kid starts college! (exaggeration, but only by a little)

He’s even older than Mike E. His comment was “when you are young a kid makes you old, but when you are old a kid makes you young.”

Still no Mike Gesicki available.

Carroo on sale 50% off.

115. Phindog says:

So Chef Warren didn’t actually hurt his leg last Fest.. He stayed away to hide his baby bump 🙂 Tell him congrats. That’s awesome !!

LOL @ Ken! Mob want food!

My Smythe Jersey is not available yet either!

“When he was young” Man, how long ago was Ronnie Brown? Shit, I guess that WAS 13 years ago….Damn time flies.

one match-up i like is when a lbers tries to cover drake, last year when they split him wide he was devastating.

LOL @ Stanger and Chef Warren faking a kid to get out of cooking!

it looks as if tannehill has never had a compliment of rec’s he has now, with amendola…wilson..gesicki, drake..stills..parker

but when you are old a kid makes you young.”

Yeah, you just wait until that kid becomes a teen Warren and see how young he makes you feel.

OD – This article is for you! I think you can easily empathize with this

Rock – I believe I owe you a cold one

My best buddy from high-school (1 year younger than me) just had his SECOND grand child. THAT makes me feel old.

What do you expect from someone that prepares like Does? But it still wasn’t a good pick, because the media said so.

Compare the look on his face to Ballage, you can see the intelligence difference. In kalen’s defense you dont have to be smart to play RB, and you may be better off not being too smart.

Steve,

Looks can be VERY deceiving, man. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover. I can’t believe I even feel the need to type this!

When I first met my very best friend (RIP, Jimmy), I though he had the look of a junkie, a loser, and trouble. Holy Christ, was I EVER wrong!

He’d never drank, smoked (grass), and he had his head on straighter than mine.

I SWEAR, I’m generally good at judging character at first glance. But after I got to know Jimmy, I threw that instant judgmental BS out the window. If I even miss on ONE person out of a thousand by being an ‘instant judge’, I’d have never met my best friend for life.

I’m not dissin’ ya, my Bro Steve… just sayin’! 🙂

Dude…i mentioned this yesterday, saying it wasn’t the end all, just a bad sign.

ocalarob says:
    May 11, 2018 at 1:29 pm

——————

I don’t know anything about Ballage, but Gore is also a very capable receiver out of the backfield. A very underrated part of his game. He’s got nearly 500 rec in his career and actually caught 61 passes in ’06.

Ballage is very good catching the ball, there’s no reason why this O can’t light it up baring injury. 3 RBs that can run and catch, 3 good receiving TEs, and a slew of WRs with different talents that can compete against any D, to go with what i think will be a very good OL.

No doubt, been a good receiver his entire career.

steveccnv says:
    May 11, 2018 at 3:22 pm
    Dude…i mentioned this yesterday, saying it wasn’t the end all, just a bad sign.
    ——–
    Alright, noted!

Tough picture of Jim Kelly above especially for me because he has exactly what I have

I really don’t get how this team is being looked at as a bad team this year. Okay maybe not great or even playoffs, but 6 wins or 4 wins with some simulator etc.? Nobody has seen the 2018 team even suit up yet. It’s not the same team as last year. What are they going by? They have no idea how the offseason additions will perform or whether many of our young players will raise the level of their games or not.

6-10 and the loss of our best player on offense and defense will kind of do that

Yeah I think it’s an issue with the names list

I do t think people are looking ok’ing at the roster as a whole – just being like: they lost Suh, Landry and even Pouncey(lol)

That’s lazy evaluations though. I like our roster better this year than last year. We get our QB back too.

Now I am really going to start a buzz saw: I think the return of Tannehill will make a big difference as I believe his loss last year was a major factor in our poor season

It’s all lazy reporting, buy one of those national preseason magazines and all they do is regurgitate what our beat writers tell them, they don’t know shit from shinola. If our beat writers say fuck you very much instead of thank you very much, that’s what they write.

Not sure why anyone cares what a national guy says.

I suck at judging character

Why do you jerks think I’m here?!?!

May 11, 2018 at 3:59 pm
    … I like our roster better this year than last year…
    ————–
    I’ve known you now for the better part of decade, Tim… and you say this EVERY YEAR!!! 🙂

As a matter of fact (being I think me met in ’09), we’ve only had ONE winning season since then!!! LOL 😉

* we

I think it was before then. Also saying a better roster doesn’t mean winning season. 😉

We’ve gone through a lot of coaching and roster changes over the years. There were plenty of seasons I didn’t expect playoffs. I just try to see the positive in new additions making the team better.

No I don’t. I didn’t like our WR group in 2012 or our OL in 2013 and I have said I think we’re probably no better than 8-8 a few times over the years. I also pointed out back in the Wildcat days we lacked explosiveness in the passing game and it’s hard to win that way. I just don’t bash the franchise from top to bottom every year. There’s a difference between not being overly negative and thinking everything is great. I get labeled that way because some people ignore what I actually say. 😉

Ken,
    It really doesn’t matter. Any improvement this team makes this year over last will be attributed to Tannehill whether it’s factual or not. The groundwork has already been laid for that mantra. Lol

Ken,
    Also wanted to say i’ve been sending positive vibes your way, man!

Everybody knows that Randy hates quarterbacks.

140. ElephantRider says:

Phins improve this year and QB plays well…..it’ll be factual! Lol

Any improvement we get this year better be from Tannehill

It’s now or never
    My love won’t wait

Not this season. I figure if he catches 50 passes, he did really well, along with 5-10 TD’s That would be a great rookie season

Yeah even catches in the 40-45 range and 5-7 TDs would be good. At the least he needs to be a red zone threat because that’s where he made his 2nd rd status. The seam chunk yards will happen here and there. But we need him to open up and help scoring in the red zone.

143. BailBondMike says:

M13, Did you see my BALLHAWK alert the other day to put on your watch list?

Just arrived!!!!!!!!!

I’m not sure the way the offense looks like it’s being setup, that anyone on the team will have even 70 catches this season. I see a lot of spreading the ball around. Our backs had 70 total receptions last year combined. This year I think it could go 80-90. Our TEs had 56 total receps. That should go up a bit maybe 65-75 with hopefully more YPCA and TD production. The WRs had 254 last year. That should go down a bit, but more YPCA and big plays.

• ElephantRider says:

They should all go up. The offense needs more plays!

More YPCA, not more receptions. We had 373 receps last year which is 23.3 per game. That’s fine. We need more than 360 rushes. Opponents had 431 rush and 339 receps. They didn’t have to pass so much on us because we couldn’t score.

Phish,
    I love QBs! They squish really easy when you hit them. Lol

I hope we see a return to 2016 where we see the offense throw about 100 fewer passes for the season because we had a productive running game.

MIKE E.; SAW your 1:49 post re Greg Cote’s article. YES, it has been an incredibly frustrating and disappointing run for Dolfans since our last playoff victory after the 2000 season. The most frustrating part of all this has been Ross’s consistently bad selections for head coach and GM/Head of football operations. He has yet to pick the right man for EITHER JOB for almost a decade. A very close second has been his mistreatment of season ticket holders, which almost defies belief but, sadly, is oh so true. Anyway, the grim reaper, sooner or later, is going to get all of us, including Steve Ross. I may not live long enough to see it, but most of you will. Only then will some of you find out what a successful NFL owner does (I HOPE!).
    ————-
    Meanwhile, I GUARANTEE this will NOT be the year Miami wins its first playoff game since 2000. And it won’t be the year that Ross’s Dolphins get to the AFC Championship Game. It’s sad but true: most current fans of this team, and most current season ticket holders, have NEVER BEEN PRESENT when Miami won a playoff game!
    ————
    TONIGHT, however, my home town NHL TEAM WILL WILL WIN ANOTHER PLAYOFF GAME (their 9th this playoff season) when they defeat a very good, and very HOT, Washington Capitals team here in Amalie Arena. GOOO-O-O-O BOLTS!!

We just need to figure out how to score more. Consistency and balance can help with that, but we need to start getting TDs when we get close. Settling for FGs has been killing us for ever. The players need to execute, but I’d like to see us get more creative inside the 20. You can’t have those false starts and other stuff, but we are so predictable too.

Agreed, been saying the same thing specifically commenting on how Gesicki can help us. I think our predictability last year was we were a wounded team in a lot of ways. The strides we made in 2016 had some flaws too but we saw a glimpse of what it could look like. Last year was a clusterfuck all around.

Gase is well aware that the offense hasn’t been good enough and that’s his specialty, his baby. He hated the makeup of it. So with all the changes he made, he feels now he’s gotten closer to his vision for not just the offense but the entire team, and that’s on him. He’s taken on that responsibility. If it doesn’t work he won’t be the HC for much longer. That’s the way it goes.

Tannehill has to get the ball in the freaking end zone. A lot.

There’s really nothing more to it. They put all of their chips in with him now he has to produce.

No more missing uncovered receivers
      No more playing not to lose
      Take shots down the field and blow this mother up

Taking shots down the field was more prevalent in 2016. Last year our QBs lead by Cutler was 6.3 YPA and in 2016 lead by Tannehill it was 7.8. Big difference. We have to get back to that. I think utilizing multiple options will be better for us. Or should I say hopefully. 😉

He has some Zach traits. Zach Thomas was drafted at 5-10 225 and became our MLB for a decade as a rookie. Not saying that happens here, just saying you never know. Poling is 6-0 235 and a better athlete. We’ll see. We need good competition at LB and we should have it.

You can say he’s a better athlete, but Zach did it despite his athleticism, his main trait was being prepared. Now couple a great athlete wit preparation and you get Minkah.

152. ElephantRider says:

If the way RT17 ended 2016 is any indicator, the Phins are gonna score some points.

Well that was a shitty 7 seconds for the Bolts

154. 13kvFINS says:

LB Poling just became a favorite, real LB, smart, fast too, great presser LMAO,
    Be nice if he became a diamond in the ruff, seems like he’ll work his ass off!!

If he a Baker can cover, might be clearing anther 10 mill off the books in o19/o20 via Kiko (whom I like)!!!

GOFINS!!!

I wanna Jersey that says BAKER on the back, but I’m liking Poling a Lott!!!

155. 13kvFINS says:

Fitz

“””No such thing as extraordinary without the extra,
    So Yea I’ve always done extra”””

“””Want to be an NFL LEGEND”””!!!

156. naplesfan2010 says:

interesting slant
    8. Want to have a little fun with a Bills fan in your life? Go up to him and point to #7 overall pick Josh Allen and whisper two words: “Jay Cutler.” Just don’t do it if you value the friendship.

Coming out of Vanderbilt, Cutler had loads of talent but never was able to win at the college level. The excuse was that he was surrounded by mediocre players. But his penchant for losing followed him to the NFL level anyway and his potential never translated to much in the way of playoff wins.

Allen performed horribly whenever he was faced with a Power 5 conference foe at Wyoming. He might be able to correct flaws which have led to some terrible accuracy issues in college. But can you make a winner out of a guy who was a career loser when the heat was on? The Bills have bet big on it.

9. Overall this looked to me like a pretty poor draft in terms of talent and I certainly wasn’t alone in that assessment. But what counts more than my opinion or anyone else’s is what the NFL evaluators think.

In this regard, the reaction of the Patriots to this draft was interesting. The Patriots had such a hard time finding players that provided adequate value in this draft that they made eight draft weekend trades. If their reaction is any indication, this could be one of the worst drafts in modern NFL history.

This play by play guy needs to go suck Ovechkins sick already.

There s one ☝️

May 11, 2018 at 6:49 pm
    ____________________________________________

you better hope not! that would mean we are not running the ball, a recipe for FAILURE!

• manitobafinfan says:

OD yer boys slept thtu 2 periods waazzup wit dat ? As i type they score to make it 4-2

• sb7mvp says:

or it could mean we are sustaining drives with less 3 and outs and the defense is keeping the opposing team’s offense off the field.

• 13kvFINS says:

Probably be similar balance of the run even with RB’s/TE’s catching more balls!!!

They’ll be catching the 112 that don’t go to Landry, as well as will the receivers!!!

• 13kvFINS says:

Landry caught 112, probably had what 150 plus thrown his way..

That’s 150 to go elsewhere and still a similar rushing attack, (toss 120 elsewhere), and get 30 more rush attempts (if need be)!!!

• 13kvFINS says:

Bet that buck20 of tosses, (112 receptions to be fair)
        Goes for a much higher average than 8 yards too!!!

• ocalarob says:

We will have a slot and wrs that will cancel out Landry’s production. We passed too often last year because we could not pick up the tough yardage on first down. we became predictable.
        saying that our TE’s and RBs will get more passes thrown there way this year is not a good thing IMO.

160. ElephantRider says:

Yes. More plays please

Im expecting the OL moves we made will be a large upgrade , which by ITSELF should equate to longer drives, more time for RT and bigger holes for the RB s meaning more points and less D time in field

• ElephantRider says:

Have they done enough to improve the OL? That’s the big question heading into the season. I think bigger than RT17 or the D.

• manitobafinfan says:

I look at Sitton and kilgore alone as upgrades over Pouncey and either Bushrod or whoever else we plugged in there , gasmask boy will have better players beside him, and who knows maybe Asiata just need a red shirt year… stay healthy will be a huge assist as well

• ElephantRider says:

I feel about the same. What good was a C who they couldn’t practice. The OL played better without him. Asiata would be a huge plus if he got his feet figured out this offseason

162. 13kvFINS says:

OCRob (damn reply thing was messing with me)

I can see the receivers (new/old) eating up Landry’s 100 average receptions…

But the other what (40-50 no idea of the exact number) targets to Landry that weren’t completed, GOTTA GO SOMEWHERE!!!

Probably toward the run game itself, as well as to pass attempts to RB’s & TE’s,
    Seriously doubt that we’d draft TWO TE’s without the intent of uping our game from the TE position!!!

GOFINS!!!

I’m sure we will pass the ball but when you look at 2017 we had an unbalanced offense, we passed way too much, there were times our RBs had only 13 carries, you have to run the ball 25 times a game, so saying we’re increasing our pass plays would be a disaster

I think we will run the ball more, I think Gase wants to run, but you have to be able to do it with the OL and the RB’s, and you also have to be in a position score wise in the game to be able to do it. If you’re down 21-0 you can’t just run and run, you need to score and score fast. I think there will always be games where we pass more because the game dictates it, but I think Gase wants to run

• sb7mvp says:

I think Gase wants to pass. It’s pretty much all he’s wanted to do since he’s been here. We’ve proved we can run the ball when we want to, but play predictability has hindered our offense for the most part and it’s definitely not because of lack of talent or “not having the right pieces in place”.

May 12, 2018 at 8:02 am
    ________________________________________________________

The thing is we not only need to run the ball; we need to be successful at running the ball, we need that success to come on 1st down putting us in manageable 2nd and 3rd down situations, then the game doesn’t get out of hand

I agree, and if the score allows it, stick with it until you get it right. If it’s a close enough game, there’s no reason to just abandon the run, but I feel like we’ve been saying that here for a long time, with different HC’s. OC’s, players etc . . .

SB – I don’t know about Gase preferring to pass. He’s had solid running games in each of his stops in the NFL.

This guy catching this number of passes for whatever yards, that guy catching, blah, blah, blah…

This year is going to be completely different, even, if just, because Landry is gone. New OC, new WRs, new RBs, 2 new OL, 2 new TEs, and the problem children gone, so there’s no comparison with last year, and no reason to compare what group gets what number of catches/TDs.

On Gesicki, I don’t care so much about his catches or TDs, the biggest thing is being unstoppable on 3rd down like Kelce has been for the Chiefs.

On the Matt Patricia BS, I don’t really care what happens, he just better not end up on the Cheats.

No way does a Boston news paper look for dirt on one of there own. That writer in Detroit should be lambasted in there.

MikeE, Mike Gisicki agrees with ME on his self evaluation! Need that last sentence.

“That label, athletic tight end, fits me but I will continue to work to be a complete tight end,” he said on the first day of a three-day rookie mini-camp. “With the way the game of football is going, that athletic tight end is an important piece to the puzzle. [But] ultimately you have to be able to do everything: run block, pass block, deeper routes, shorter routes. You can’t just be a big receiver.”

Honestly, I’ll take a great big receiver over a decent blocking and receiving TE any day. Smythe can block, Gesicki can catch. Plus, like I mentioned, he doesn’t have to be an in line blocking TE, he just has to be able to block wherever he is on the field, even if it’s split out.

Well thankfully Mike Gisicki disagrees with you And has said he is going to work on being the complete tight end. Credit him there.

169. BailBondMike says:

13kvFINS says:
    Landry caught 112, probably had what 150 plus thrown his way..
    ————————————————————————————–
    …..and that many more passes will go to faster receivers.

170. rich0322 says:

I’m really hoping we see a lot of 2TE sets this year. …both on running and passing plays. When we were doing mocks with 2 TEs Smythe and Ian Thomas were the two I liked as a second TE on day 3, along with Hurst, Goedert, and Gesicki as our first options. While I had Goedert ahead of Gesicki, I couldn’t be happier getting one of the top 3 along with a favorite of mine in Smythe. I really noticed Smythe while watching a lot of Nelson and McGlinchey this year.

Toughest guys to cover, plus you can run well or pass well with guys like Smythe and Gesicki, it’s a great formation

Depending on how you feel about the quarterback situation you might not want to read this

Except that’s the exact opposite of what happened we actually got our best player on offense back this season

NO WE DIDN’T, Rock!! Our best offensive player was traded to the Browns. And our best running back got a Super Bowl ring in Philly! Hopefully, the return of Tannehill and some other injured players will give us a chance to top last year’s record (6-10). But this team has yet to SHOW ME they can do that. Until then, you’ll be one season closer to losing our bet!

😂 so true. That’s why Tim is one of my favorites. Hope springs eternal. Not that I can really say anything I heat up the still every year around this time and start brewing Homeraid

It’s now or never
    My love won’t wait

????

You have been waiting on cam Newton for years

MANITOBA: YES, the Bolts REALLY stunk it up last night! But, remember, they lost the first game of the Bruins’ series 6-2 before winning 4 straight games. However, Washington has a better team than Boston. And they came into this series RED HOT!! Tampa Bay MUST win tomorrow night to have a realistic chance to win this playoff series.

176. ElephantRider says:

The new OC loves to run the ball

honestly I think we have a lot to look forward to this season

It’s not just Tim

I didn’t like the idea of getting rid of our best players
    I’m still upset that I have no jerseys

But I don’t see a lot of wholes in the roster right now
    And I can’t think of a time when I thought the first two draft picks might make a bigger impact

Fitzpatrick and Gesicki might be really special for us

I have a few question marks and if any end up being negative it will hurt us

Can Gase coach?
    Can tannehill play like he did at the end of 2016?
    Will the moves we made on the OL work?
    Is the DT rotation with lesser players than Suh going to hold up?
    Can multiple players at WR equal Landry’s consistent production?

• sb7mvp says:

I agree with most of this, especially the concern with Gase’s coaching ability. We seen some good and we’ve seen some bad, but overall a true lack of consistency which carries over onto the players on the field.. His decision making seems all over the place.

ORob I think you are going to be disappointed with the ratio as long as Gase is boss. He has admitted that he has a penchant for leaning on the pass game more than the running game. I don’t think you’ll ever see the ratio you want anywhere in the NFL anymore you are a dinosaur in the game has left you behind

Let’s all stop pretending bthat Tim is the Barack Obama of the blog. He doesn’t have the monopoly on hope for the success of this team. Lol.

No he has always just been levelheaded and resistant to bashing the team which is refreshing to some of us. I for one cannot stand reading peoples negative comments over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

• sb7mvp says:

I’d rather see a more objective and reasoned point of view that doesn’t change with the wind.

• sb7mvp says:

Also, bashing the team is one thing. Being honest about the weaknesses is another

I can’t tell you how to learn how to read or improve your comprehension so I’m just going to leave this alone

May 12, 2018 at 9:06 am
    When, and in what context did he say that?

He said it back in 2016 In the context of it had to ask the other coaches to step in and remind him to run the ball because heWants to pass it on every down

Jay Ajayi he was not our best running back OD Drake is a much more balanced and better running back. Much better At blocking and picking up the blitz and much better and receiving and route running.

• ocalarob says:

I don’t think Gase agrees with your opinion seeing he started Ajayi over Drake.

LOL one could argue that he doesn’t share your opinion because he shipped Jay Ajayi out of here and kept the better running back

May 12, 2018 at 10:52 am
    WTF – Have you seen ANY of the Jurassic Park movies?

Mike you know from personal experience that all your favorite riding dinosaurs went extinct years agoIn that movie is just fake.

Rockphin says:
    May 12, 2018 at 10:46 am
    _______________________________________________

Rock…. tell that crap to Jacksonville who was in the afc championship game because they got Coughlin and he went out and drafted an OL and a RB and successfully ran the ball.

you can’t just pass the ball in the NFL, you have to be able to physically control the LOS with a running game.

if you get into a pattern of passing teams will disregard the run and play pass, it will be harder to convert passes and will leave you in long down and distance. your team will become unbalanced and predictable and you will lose.

There’s no doubt that if Gase relies on the passing game it won’t be for long because we will suck and he will get fired.

• pheloniusphish says:

Jax won because of their defense. Their running game wasn’t special, just adequate.

I didn’t say I was an advocate for it I just said that it is the trend in the NFL which can be supported by stats. Jacksonville led by the 80 something-year-old head coach was an outlier who happened to perfectly balance the amount of runs and passes last season. To the play. They ran exactly the same amount of running plays and passing plays. I am an advocate for balanced play calling Gase is an admitted in ass junkie Maybe you are right and we will suck I hope not

we need to run the ball successfully 25 times a game, if we do that we will win the division, Tannehill will have a monster season and our defense will look like the 85 bears!

if we run the ball 15 times a game we will have an early 1st rnd draft pick in 2019, we will lose, our defense will get killed, Tannehill will be replaced and Gase will be fired.

“Meanwhile, I GUARANTEE this will NOT be the year Miami wins its first playoff game since 2000.”

OD – I’ll take $50 at 2:1 odds if you’re that sure.

Rock, are you sure you won’t rescind your offer? I brought you a nice shiny red apple, full of fiber.

There you go again go back and read it again Try reading it one word at a time if it helps I never made an offer that I would have to rescind.

• sb7mvp says:

Nope. Got it the first time. You’re upset over something you perceived in my post then followed it up with some irony. I was trying to give you playful banter, but I guess it’s a futile thing with you this morning. The apple is still available if you want it.

No response to this one ? Crickets do I hear crickets?

🤓

ORob, if you saw other parts of that discussion about the pass breakdowns, I mentioned we need to run more than 360 times. More passes to the RBs is part of the ball control offense to mix with the run.

Yes, gotta run more!!!

607 pass attempts cuz we spotted 14 plus points to practically every opponent (cept during that mini win streak vs Broncos/Pats)!!!

470 something during Ajayi breakout o16…

Mid 500’s in o15, THill most statistically productive year,
      Though o16 would have been more productive had he not missed the final quarter of o16!!!

I believe we’ll have more plays (to distribute the ball wherever) overall in o18, as well as #14’s targets being spread about somewhat equally…

If I recall, weren’t we near or at the bottom of number of plays run??
      Cuz we couldn’t sustain drives, and/or had a ridiculous amount of 3 & out’s, and/or had no option other than to pass cuz we were always down by 14 between the 50 minute remaining mark and final whistle!!!

I don’t think that we’ll be throwing the ball 607 times in o18,
      But that all the remaining receiving options will still get more opportunities, simply due to the absence of a “””just gimme the damn ball””” hog’s receptions/targets!!!

I’d guess we’ll run 400 plus, and pass 500 plus,
      (If not 500 – 500), or whatever totals however many plays were efficient enough to run in o18!!!

GOFINS!!!

Never (during this conversation) suggested that we’ll be passing more,
      Only suggested that Landry’s (160 something targets)
      Or however many of those 160-plus that we distribute as passes
      Will be spread out somewhat equally to all receiving options
      which includes all receivers, RB’s, & TE’s!!!

Ya’Mon!!!

Fins 970 or so O plays in o17!!!

Pats ran around 100 more O plays than us!!!

If we can cut that in half, for an extra 50 Dolphin O plays
      to go along with the 160 or so that went to Landry…

That’s 200 some plays that we can distribute equally elsewhere!!!

• 13kvFINS says:

To the run, pass, WC, or whatever (somewhat equally)!!

According to his efficiency in such formation,
        and his reaction toward the question!!!

I think we’re gonna see a bunch of WC via Ballage!!!

GOFINS!!!

For the record, I’ve been disappointed with our OL for years and the fact that we can’t run when we have to. I was also very disappointed that the defense didn’t have more sacks and turnovers. So it’s not like I don’t think this team has any flaws.

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero 2h2 hours ago
    Darren Rizzi says Jason Sanders kicked the laces (bad on the holder) about 20 times in his college career.

He will not kick laces here.
    —————————————
    These are the types of things coaches see when evaluating talent that fans and media don’t know about. We just see that Sanders FG pct. wasn’t very good. Rizzi sees why and how to correct it. Let’s hope anyway. LOL

BACK ON THE BOARD after some yard work. Will be taking Mrs. OD out to Mother’s Day dinner TODAY so as to avoid the crush in local eateries tomorrow. She’s one smart girl!
    ———————
    ROCK, did I read this right that you’ll put up 50 to my 100 regarding the Fins winning a playoff game THIS SEASON?? YOU ARE ON, MY MAN!!–Someone take a photo of this SOOOOON!

You know I will pay so I don’t bet unless I feel some sort of conviction let’s wait until like at least read reports from training camp that get me all hot and bothered and my homeraid still is fully up and running before I make any silly bets. 😀

Seems “playoff win” was the key part to consider, and OD might have got you there. 2-1 at whether the Phins make the playoff or not…..different subject.

Boy, I went back and was reading My posts this morning and one could think I was being Dickish……Of course that one would be wrong and stupid to boot. 😂

The press conferences with Rizzi, Loggains and Burke was good. Gives you some insight into what some of the plans are and they touch on some of the new additions.

Reading the whole number of runs versus number of passes debate earlier, was thinking the new NFL can’t be pegged that way. It is how you pass and how you run…and when, how and why.

Do agree with those who say Gase never wanted a run first offense. And think he was in some ways unhappy when Ajayi became a focal point, even if he “ran” with it. Think his models go more to the greatest show on turf and what the evil genius has set up.

Agreed. It’s whatever it takes to win that specific game. Game plans change based on opponents. But you always want to be able to establish a running game because it opens up play-action and big play opportunities.

No doubt everyone wants to be able to run and dominate in a John Riggins behind the Hogs kinda of way when needed, just don’t think that is the game plan. Whether it works or not, think we are more going the Marshall Faulk way…..no matter how much ORob might not like it.