Camp Battles – CB

This was somewhat of a beleaguered group last season.  Tony Lippett was out for the season with an achilles injury, and we had to sign veteran CB Alterraun Verner, who played in 15 games for us with 2 starts.  Rookie Cordrea Tankersley was pressed into action, and had some good moments and some bad ones, starting and playing in 11 games last season.  Only 2 CB’s on the Dolphins current roster played in all 16 games last season, Xavien Howard and Bobby McCain.  As far as consistency goes, McCain was our best CB last season.  Xavien Howard had a stretch at the end of last season that was All-Pro caliber.  There is definitely promise in this group, and one such promising figure is 2017 UDFA Torry McTyer, who has been opening eyes in training camp.  Here’s the lowdown on all of our CB’s.

Xavien Howard CB – 6’1 192  – 25YO

“X” ended the season with a flourish.  He had all 4 of his INT’s in 2 games, 2 in the Denver game, and 2 against New England, and one against Denver was for a TD.  That was his breakout, and although he didn’t get an additional INT, he was playing as close to shutdown corner as you can get.  He finished the season with 48 tackles (42 solo), 13 passes defensed, 1 sack,  and 4 INT’s (1 for a TD).  So we know who one of the starters is, as X will be one of them.  If he can continue his strong play from the end of last season, we’re going to have a very strong secondary.

____________________________________________________

Cordrea Tankersley CB – 6’1 200 – 24YO

Our 3rd RD pick in the 2017 NFL Draft (#97), the Clemson product was forced to start 11 games last season due to injuries in the secondary.  He was up and down, showing flashes of good play, and then as expected, looking lost at times too.  His spot is definitely up for grabs, he has no such “lock” on the spot opposite X.  He’s going to have to be more consistent, and also find the football.  In 11 games starts, Cordrea had zero INT’s.  He did finish with 31 tackles and 7 passes defensed.  Competition is coming for that spot, so Cordrea is on notice!

____________________________________________________

Bobby McCain CB – 5’11 192 – 25YO

Good ol’ Bobby McCain had quite the season last year.  He was so consistent playing mostly in the slot, that the Dolphins rewarded him with a 4YR/$27M contract.  According the depth chart the Dolphins released, he’s opposite Xavien Howard, but I don’t pay much attention to that.  Bobby is a slot CB, even with rookie draftee Minkah Fitzpatrick, who does the very same and a lot more, I think McCain will be on the inside almost exclusively this year as always.  The 2015 5th RD pick has done well for himself, an excellent draft pick for sure.

___________________________________________________

Tony Lippett CB – 6’3 192 – 26YO

Lippett had a very nice 2016 season, but then missed the entire 2017 season with an achilles injury.  Lippett showed great ball skills in coverage, finishing the 2016 season with 68 tackles, (45 solo), 10 passes defensed, and 4 INT’s.  The tall, former WR played the ball very well as if he were the intended receiver.  It’s a long recovery though, and Lippett left scrimmage the other day with an ankle injury.  I’m not sure how much Lippett can contribute this season, but I’m pulling for him.  If he can get healthy, I think he can be an impact player, but I’m not sure how much that injury has robbed his speed and cutting ability.  Time will tell, and we’ll see if he get himself whole again.

___________________________________________________

Torry McTyer CB – 5’11 188 – 23YO

So far in the 2018 Dolphins training camp, he is the darling of the secondary.  The 2017 UDFA who was signed by the Dolphins last May is really showing well early on training camp.  The speedy UNLV product played in 7 games last season for Miami, mostly on ST’s.  At the moment, he is listed 3rd on the depth chart the Dolphins put out before the preseason.  How much does that matter?  According to McTyer, it doesn’t.  He’s going to keep playing hard, taking nothing for granted, and making the most of his opportunities.  Although slightly shorter than most of the other Dolphins CB’s, McTyer has good speed, equal to or better than all of them. We’ll see if Cinderella can continue to shine.

__________________________________________________

Jalen Davis CB – 5’10 185 – 22YO

Davis was an UDFA signed out of Utah St.  The former All-American CB was a non invitee to the NFL combine, a snub that reportedly fuels Davis.  He showed well at his pro day running a 4.4 40, putting up 11 reps and soaring to a 36″ vertical.  The 4 YR starter at Utah St. finished his college career with 11 INT’s, 4 FF, and 4 TD’s.  He will have to battle to make the roster.

___________________________________________________

Cornell Armstrong CB – 6’0 185 – 22YO

The Dolphins drafted Armstrong in the 6th RD of the 2018 NFL Draft (#209).  A 4 year starter for Southern Mississippi,  he finished his career with 5 INT’s, 1 for a TD.  Armstrong has had a slow start so far in training camp, and as we all know, he better pick it up, or he will find himself handing in his playbook sooner than later.

___________________________________________________

Taveze Calhoun CB – 6’1 188 –  25YO

Signed originally by the Bears as an UDFA then released, and signed by the Saints.  The Saints released him in December of ’17, and the Dolphins signed him to the PS.  In January, Miami signed him to a future/reserves contract.  Another cornerback from Mississippi, but Mississippi St. in this case, totaled 6 INT’s in 3 years, also forcing 3 fumbles and recovering 1.  Another longshot to make the roster, he faces an uphill battle. Tavese (pronounced Tuh-VEZ) had 2 INT’s in practice and a fumble return (60 YDS) for a TD, so don’t count him out quite yet.

___________________________________________________

So that’s where we’re at with the CB’s.  I wouldn’t count Tank out of starting opposite X, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if Lippett was on the PUP to start the season.  I just have a feeling he might not be ready.  I hope McTyer keeps pushing, and pushing hard, that will make Tank earn it if he wins that battle.  I also hope X keeps balling, and doesn’t rest on his late year success.  I also realize that I haven’t included Minkah Fitzpatrick in this group, because he’s the guy who will be playing everywhere, including both inside and outside in certain situations as a CB.  Basically, he’s going to be a matchup guy, so Minkah will be everywhere.  Good ol’ Bobby McCain is steady as can be, and I hope he continues in that vein.  next up, safeties!

1,053 Responses to Camp Battles – CB

Wyoming — thanks for giving us all the updates. Interesting that Baker is going with the firsts. He’s not your prototypical SLB. If anything has Will written all over him. But maybe with tacklers TJ and Jones in there, not as big a concern. Thinking this D is gonna be a most different one.

He’s on the outside, so his speed and play recognition are more valuable than run stuffing inside.

Because we have guys like Chase, who are better run stuffers between the tackles, if Baker gets exploited then he can stay off the field on 1st downs, but that is game to game.

Since teams throw so much on 1st down, he should fit as the starter.

People keep saying we have too many ifs, but we also have a lot of options, because of depth, so all the ifs dont have to work out, just 1 per position or group.

Think the teams throwing on first is exactly what is about. Old time base SLB is a guy big enough not to get pushed our by blockers on run plays as first job. Anthony fits that mold.

2. Steve, my picks exploded bro, oversold stocks rebound hard the next day 😎

3. You know I can do this shit, cause I put em all out there on the blog yesterday, You can do it also!

Am glad your day trading is working out well. Just be careful. One of my old buddies sold his business and started doing the same during the internet boom. Lived his life on it for three years, but then the crash came. When his balance got back to what he started with he stopped and said “time to get a job” again.

• I don’t hold em, just in and out same day or gap. Get in, get out is eliminating some of the risk

And that eliminates total exposure on a given day, which he mostly did as well. But whether invested or not the balance is the balance. And like said once it hit a point he decided not to chase the dragon.

Stanger,
    don’t forget that Baker and McMillan played together at Ohio State so the communication, chemistry, and teamwork should help the corps be better.

Good point, was just sorta of thinking would mainly be seeing Baker in passing packages. But he did look real good in the first game. What got me was he can hit.

David,
    what are you doing for your stock screener and how are you finding your picks?

7. 13kvFINS says:

Well at least practice continued forward and included Drake…

You’d think that if Gabe Wright punched you aware in the face
    that your face would look like an empty cereal bowl..

Guess that Drakes quite the man!!!

GOFINS!!!

8. I use barchart.com, pick the days worst losers, buybthe bottom, and they rebound overnight and next am and sell em. It’s easy money imo

9. I spend all afternoon looking for the worst ones possible, lol. Buy low right?

10. They were panic sold, people flipped or it overbought. Either way buy the oversold, and sell em when they jump

12. 13kvFINS says:

Wonder how/why Drake was on field to get punched in face??

Supporting his RB unit mate, or maybe Howell was actually the guy that got punched in face???

“”””Tempers flared during the running drill after a carry by rookie Buddy Howell.””””

Practice THIRTEEN

GOFINS!!!

13. I also put the newest 52 day lows on my watchlist, if they start bouncing, I buy em, otherwise I just wait for them to find rock bottom, and then buy. I’m cheap, lol

14. The only ones I hold onto long term are EKSO, ITUS, TNDM, HEAR, And DIS

15. Thanks for the advice Stanger, trust me I’ve lost a few times, but as long as I see volatility and volume, I feel ok, when the bulls get tired, I bail. I’ve gotten better at it, always keep improving is the goal, but thanks for the caution

“volatility and volume” is a way to check out what there is interest in. And first in a great move. As is getting out when the bulls get tired. Do most of the stocks get run up and then head back down?

16. 13kvFINS says:

THill reprimand of Ballage

17. Often the Hardest thing for rookie RB to learn is blocking, he may have needed a wake up call, it’s not just running and hurdling, blocking keeps the QB alive

Hyde is as worried about the “other corner” too.
    “Here are Dolphins who have been called out: 1. Cordrea Tankersley, Tony Lippett and Torry McTyer. Let’s lump them together. The cornerback’s job opposite Xavien Howard hasn’t gone as hoped.”

19. That’s why the team is looking at Baushaud, cb from redskins

I don’t want to sign a veteran CB – How about developing the guys we draft? How are guys like Tank ever going to sink or swim? Last year he was a rookie, and sure, he’s going to make mistakes, but bringing in a veteran like we did last year (Alterraun Verner) didn’t make us any better, and tank ended up playing a lot anyway. We’re not a SB team, just let the young guys grow dammit! Maybe Lippett is ready for the season, or maybe he missed a few, so let tank play opposite Howard, and maybe he gets better with more playing time. We don’t need a quick fix vet, enough of that nonsense.

Also thinking they could scheme a bit, which might be why have been checking out Minkah and McCain on the outside. Secondary is strong.

We have talent here, I don’t want it sitting on the bench. Use a combination of guys whatever, but stop limiting our young players, we just spent a 3rd RD pick last year on Tank, and yeah, he was up and down, but him sitting on the bench isn’t going to make him better.

KV – I’d rather see Minkah playing corner than another stop-gap veteran. Why do we need to sign a veteran? Are we SB contenders that are a vet CB away? I think not!

• ElephantRider says:

Its early…Lippett will come around hopefully. He,imo, is the best one just needs to get back from his injury

• 13kvFINS says:

Rashad, TJ, & Fitz need to be on the field,

SHUTDOWN CB TANDEM with X & Fitz !!!

Fitz is every bit the CB that he is a S !!!

GOFINS!!!

They may however prefer him somewhere around the middle in slot due to his ball skills, rather than covering just one outside receiver area’s???

I look at him kinda like the 10th player in softball,
      He’s The ROVER that fills whatever gap !!!

KV – Minkah will playing a shit-ton of snaps, he will be used all over the place, and for specific matchups.

ER – I would love for Lippett to come back healthy, I just don’t know if it’s in the cards. If he is healthy though, he should be right there in the competition for playing time with Tank. Regardless, I don’t want to sign another stop-gap corner

23. 13kvFINS says:

Come Friday we’ll have 3 games in 13 days,

YeeeHaaa Gitty-Up, GOFINS!!!

I think the team may be worried about Lippett not being healthy enough to play.

Asked if the intensity kicked up on the day, defensive coordinator Matt Burke replied, “Maybe, yes; but sometimes misplaced. You’ve got to get good work in too. It’s got to be with the context of doing what we’re asking you to do and executing the scheme too. Just coming out here, being a jackass and running around, that doesn’t help us either.”

Hmmm… what’s that all about?

The “Passion” the players were practicing with today and the 4 or so fights / scuffles that broke out, including DT Gabe Wright punching Drake in the face.

Oh I was wondering why he said “Just coming out here, being a jackass and running around, that doesn’t help us either.”

Meaning were players doing that?

Wright punched Drake in the face? WTF?!!!

• 13kvFINS says:

Drake finished practice, and I’d think a true Gabe Wright to the face punch would make that fairly impossible!!!

Okay I see it being reported that today was the most physical practice reporters have seen. My guess is the coaches didn’t like what they saw from the defense on Thursday night so they responded by amping up their game and the offense wasn’t having it. LOL

29. 13kvFINS says:

Coordinators video pressers

Burke

Loggains

———–
    Gabe Wright is GONE.

I know you’re no fan of Mike Shanahan but I love this quote from him. I feel the same way and I think Gase is trying to build a smart team.

“If you hit our own quarterback in practice you’re too dumb to play for me.”

• naplesfan2010 says:

I think I heard he threw an elbow into Kenyan’s head after the scuffle was broken up.

• bookman11 says:

Gase is not messing around. I love it!

• bookman11 says:

I agree with Tim , a culture thing.

Jamiyus Pittman just moved up a peg. Wright had a good chance of making the team too.

Tannehill should play till he leads a TD drive in this next game. If it takes into the second half then send him with Wright.

32. naplesfan2010 says:

There’s a writer out there who thinks we should trade Parker and Wake and a 2019 first rounder for Kahlil Mack.

Next!

August 13, 2018 at 8:24 pm
    It’s a culture thing. You can’t punch a teammate in the face, especially a key player. WTF?!!!…
    ———-
    Nah, man, that’s not a ‘culture thing’. It’s called COMMON SENSE! LOL

And according to Armando, it was an elbow thrown by Wright to Drake’s head (not that it matters, it was a violent act, regardless). We can’t have douche bags on our team that act like that, PERIOD.

• bookman11 says:

But M, some teams would just blow that off as training camp tempers, so yes, it IS cultural, have your shit together at all times, especially as a borderline player, or see ya.

36. naplesfan2010 says:

Some fan analysed this play like this: (well done analysis)

Third and eleven. TB 49. Probably the best play of the drive,

Offensive Alignment: 1-1-3. Amendola on the slot on the right. Parker on the outside right. Stills on the outside Left.

Offensive Line : Tunsil,Sitton, Kilgore, Davis and James. Gesicki on the right tight next to James.

Defensive Alignment: Appeared to be a cover four with DB lined up nine or 100 yards away from the LOS. The dime defender (Hargreaves #28) appeared to be on man cover against Amendola and was aligned 3 yards from the LOS.

Defensive Line: JPP (90) in front of Tunsil, Beau Allen (91) in front of Sitton, Kilgore free, McCoy to the outside of Davis, Vinny Curry to the outside of Gesicki,

LB: Lavonte Davis (56) and Kwon Alexander (58) lined five yards from the LOS.

37. naplesfan2010 says:

Then the PLAY”
    Play: Initially I thought that this was an RPO. But after watching the play a few times I see that none of the receivers went for a pattern but rather seemed intent in blocking. This was a run all the way.

JPP run outside of Tunsil and got pretty close to Tannehill. Gesicki ignored Curry and engaged Kwon five yards away.

Amendola went pretty directly to Davis and blocked them pretty successfully.

Curry was slowed by James. Mc Coy rushed through the outside of Curry.

Sitton completely blocked Beau Allen at the LOS and kept the block for the duration.

Kilgore did not even look at the rush and moved to block Davis, He engaged him successfully.

When Tannehill hands the ball, JPP is close to beating Tunsil blocks to the outside. On the other side Curry is making progress on the outside. Davis manages to push Mc Coy slightly to the outside.

And the middle of the field is wide open. Kwon and Davis are at 44 yard line with Kilgore and Gesicki heading to block them.

After the Hand off JPP gets pretty close. But I do not believe he touches Drake. Neither does Curry who also gets pretty close.

The next person who gets close to Drake is Chris Conte (23) who gets close to Drake at the 44. Five yards past the LOS. I do not believe he makes contact.

And the gut who finally hits Drake is Justin Evans 21. He makes contact with Drake low at the 41 yard line. That is 8 yards after the LOS.

I want Wake to retire as a Fin when he’s ready but I would package Parker if there was a good deal to be made.

39. naplesfan2010 says:

And the Result:

Did the decision make sense? Stats and situation.

The Dolphins in the last two years have faced 3rd and 11 a total of 16 times. They have passed 14 times or 88%. That is the exact average of passing play in those situation in the NFL.

Of the 14 times Miami had converted four. That is 29% conversion rate.

Of the two times they ran they converted one. (50%)

This was not a conversion because they felt short. But it did not need to be. I believe Gase and Tannehill knew that id any reasonable gain was made they were going to go for it on 4th down on an exhibition game on the opponent side of the field. As they did.

I believe that this was the best play of the drive. Not only because the blocking from Amendola, Geiscki, Kiclgore and Sitton was very good, I believe Tannehill looked at the defensive alignment and made the correct decision. It would have been extremely difficult to pass for 10-11 yards given the coverage and the rush.

That was the draw play wasn’t it? That was a great call and excellent execution.

• naplesfan2010 says:

yes and apparently we had prepared that.
        I’ve always thought a well-executed draw is a killer demoralizer for the D.

42. naplesfan2010 says:

There was so much to love about that play.
    PS: I am very impressed with Sitton so far.

• bookman11 says:

I hate the Packers, being near GB, but it is hard not to be familiar with their players. I always liked Sitton. Consistent, smart, doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. I think it is a great pickup.

Tunsil
    Howard
    Drake

Pretty damn good 1-3 there too

Dion FF Jordan
    Jamar Taylor
    Dallas Thomas

Not so much

So glad those days are gone

Tannehill
    Jonelle Martin
    Eggtastic

• bookman11 says:

Well, one Super Bowl MVP player and 2 scrubs…..not bad

Show me as our pal OD would say

I just want to see 25 a game or more then let the chips fall where they may

• bookman11 says:

It was just a joke, but I have to say this….Marino is my favorite Dolphin player of all time….and by ODs standards, “show me” didn’t happen. Everything can’t be based on “perfection “.

46. ElephantRider says:

I’d trade Parker for a bag of chips…

ER,

Hey! You know who Q-Tip and Phife Dawg are, right?

I just discovered that a colleague of mine (been working with him for 5 years) went to school with both of them from K-12th grade (private Catholic school). He is VERY good friends of both, and their families! And yes… Phife passed away in 2016 (you may have seen my RIP tweet to Phife).

What a SMALL, small world we live in! I LOVED the TRIBE and De La Soul… attended one of their concerts back in the day! 😀

48. 13kvFINS says:

Oh darn, Gabe Wright was the 52ND guy on my pre TC projected 53…

Guess I got one wrong 😱 (so far), darn, LOL

GOFINS!!!

The article about him getting cut says he “grazed” Drake with an elbow the tweet I read during practice said he had punched him in the face…

• naplesfan2010 says:

Thing is, it was after the scuffle, Drake was walking away, not defending himself, and a 300 lb DT threw a cocked elbow at our star RBs head. (or face)

Like someone said above. That proves Gabe is not smart enough to be on our team.

What’s wrong with
    Harris
    McMillan
    Tank

• naplesfan2010 says:

nothing … they’ll all be good for years.

Incomplete
      Harris had a so-so year
      McMillan hasn’t played
      Tank’s got them scouring the wire for replacements thus far

• naplesfan2010 says:

It was their rookie year. Rook DEs often struggle, Raekwon is not to blame for that knee and he had taken charge of the Defense, and Tank as a rookie had taken over the starting CB position by midseason.

I’m not ready to give up on any of them.

• bookman11 says:

Son, you need some of Rocks Kool Aide…if u can’t be positive now, when can u be?

I’m feeling positive. I was only stating facts about those 3.
    I expect McMillan and Minkah to be the leaders of our defense for a long time but neither one has played a real NFL game yet. As for the other two, I’m holding out hope for Tank but Harris will also be a real good one.

52. 13kvFINS says:

Is it official that Wright got cut ??

53. ElephantRider says:

Of course I know them M…

Didnt know Phife had passed away tho…

I tell ya…mid 80s til mid 90s….no better time to listen

The idiot on the Mike Florio show says, too to bottom the jets have the best QB group in the NFL, and it’s not close. Dude, if you have 3 you dont have any.

Mike Golic said, rookies think they’ll have a lot of free time, since they dont have to go to class. After practice its meeting, meeting, meeting, then you watch film on your own, with your teammates.

How the fuck do these guys get paid to put out such stupid shit? Golic’s command of the English language I’m sure surprises no one.

Alain Poupart
    @apoupartFins
    TE MarQueis Gray and RB Kalen Ballage both are in the concussion protocol and will not practice. Also not practicing are DeVante Parker (hand), Jake Brendel (calf), Mike Hull (knee), William Hayes (hamstring) and Kenny Stills (ankle).

Devante never has major injuries, just nagging things that keep him from being the top receiver we always hoped he would be

• 13kvFINS says:

His stature/skill clone Owusu is making the most of it,
      another good day for him today!!!

I liked Owusus last year. He’s not going to be the Parker we hoped Parker could be, but he wouldn’t have to be. I don’t expect him to be a #1. but maybe a #3, 4 or 5. That works for me.

LOL @ Owusus

• 13kvFINS says:

😃 Mike, I agree, though he could possibly become a Parker somewhere down the road according to what I’ve seen and appreciated of him these last two preseasons…

He a hawk, with Parker size, skills, body control, hands, concentration, focus on tracking of ball abilities !!!

GOFINS!!!

Think we need two guys of that type, not just either one!!!

57. 13kvFINS says:

Wright waived officially

Gase don’t Fuck Around !!!

GOFINS!!!

JP would have allowed it to turn into a bullygate !!!

58. 13kvFINS says:

Now reported that Parker broke his F U finger

No Big, if it were you or me!!!

GOFINS!!!

It never ends with Parker. All signs are pointing to another disappointing season from him.

The Wright thing is kinda crazy. That’s a big dude to be throwing an elbow at the unprotected head of a teammate. Adios!

There it is – Another excuse for Parker to disappoint. He’s lucky we picked up his 5th YR option. Really lucky

• sb7mvp says:

The less he’s in the lineup, the better IMO. They’ll have him on the field playing ineffectively and creating opportunities for interceptions when he’s not able to contest jump balls. Plus, it allows for more similar receivers on the field at the same time so we can be versatile.

I can’t argue any of that. I’d rather watch someone out there overachieve than watch Parker annually underachieve

Am thinking this is gonna give Grant a chance to really show what he can do when integrated into the offense. Carroo might have been just pushed out of intensive care unit too.

• bookman11 says:

Well put Mike. Agree 100%

61. 13kvFINS says:

Parker broke his finger fighting for ball vs X or Fitz,
    Think I remember Gase saying X…

Should he just fold and let defender have it??

Shit Happens!!!

GOFINS!!!

62. ElephantRider says:

Like I said…. bag of chips

August 14, 2018 at 12:36 pm
    For me what was the worst part was Drake didn’t have his helmet on.
    ————–
    And by some accounts it was a blindside shot. It’s one thing to get into a scuffle on the field, even a punch or two. It’s another to literally try to hurt your teammates, smh.

It brings to mind the video about 5-8 years back of the Washington Redskins practice where the WR beat the RB into unconsciousness. That’s too much.

I know all about that Stephen Davis fight

66. 13kvFINS says:

Fins sign former Fin DT Kendall Langford!!!

GOFINS!!!

67. naplesfan2010 says:

Geez how old is Kendall Langford?
    He was a really good player for us, but he was a DE in a 3/4, so he would be a DT in our present scheme. I’m surprised he’s still in shape and would want to come out for the steaming practices, since he has virtually no chance to make the 53.

Wow, Langford! Koa Misi coming back to play SLB? 🙂

70. naplesfan2010 says:

Langford’s new baby son died last November.
    Marfan’s syndrome

Kong, you fucking with us with Kendall Langford? LOL

I have absolutely no problem at all with Kendall Langford. Was always solid for us. And only left for the bucks we didn’t want to pay. Let’s see what he has in the tank still.

Langford will be wondering what happened to the Orange Bowl

The things that amuse you knuckleheads. Can’t wait for down the road when some actually have early onset dementia. That could get interesting.

I always felt Landry was like a RB once he had the ball so it’s cool to have added another WR like that. I’m sure we’ll see him get some carries like we did with Landry. Maybe even more of that with Wilson.

Tim – I knew Kong was making a funny from the start – You’re more of a British humour guy. LOL

WELL,TIM, since you claim to like Canadian humor (humour) I’ll toss this one at you:
    DOLPHINS FIRST ROUND PICKS SINCE 2007:
    2007: Ted Ginn WR OHIO STATE
    2008: Jake Long OT MICHIGAN
    2009: Vontae Davis CB ILLINOIS
    2010: Jared Odrick DT PENN STATE
    2011: Mike Pouncey C FLORIDA
    2012: R. Tannehill QB TEXAS A&M
    2013: Dion Jordan DE OREGON
    2014: Ja’Waan James OT TENNESSEE
    2015: DeVante Parker WR LOUISVILLE
    2016: Laremy Tunsil OT MISSISSIPPI
    2017: Charles Harris DE MISSOURI
    2018: Minkah Fitzpatrick S ALABAMA
    ————————————————-
    The top 4 years had a Big 10 flavor. Jake Long was a solid #1 pick ravaged by injuries. Ginn and Davis blossomed AFTER they got away from Miami. Poor coaching by the Dolphins held them back, in my opinion.

Beginning in 2011, Miami focused on the SEC, with the disastrous exception of Oregon’s Dion Jordan in 2013 (Way to go, Ireland!) I think it’s safe to say none of these guys will make it to the Hall of Fame, altho’ it’s too early to tell in Minkah’s case. NO big time game changers in this group. THAT’s WHY I’ve been calling for a complete overhaul of Miami’s scouting staff for lo’ these many years!! But, the “DOOFUS BRIGADE” continues their reign of failure. Poor ownership, poor coaching, poor scouting equals 65-81 in the Steve Ross Era. THAT’S NOT AN OPINION. THAT’S A FACT!!

OH how I hope this year will be different.

I don’t find any of this funny. LOL

2007: Ted Ginn WR OHIO STATE – He was never worthy of the the #9 pick. I don’t think he ever really blossomed all that much, always had questionable hands. His best attribute was as a return man.

2008: Jake Long OT MICHIGAN – Had all the talent but like you said injuries destroyed his career.

2009: Vontae Davis CB ILLINOIS – Had the talent as well and played well for us too, had that one real good year for IND.

2010: Jared Odrick DT PENN STATE – Solid DL but not special.

2011: Mike Pouncey C FLORIDA – Had the talent but injuries have held him back in recent years.

2012: R. Tannehill QB TEXAS A&M – Not an elite QB but a quality starter and still our starter.

2013: Dion Jordan DE OREGON – Bust and it was all on him and in his head.

2014: Ja’Waan James OT TENNESSEE – Solid RT, not special, durability issues.

2015: DeVante Parker WR LOUISVILLE – Has the talent, again injuries have effected his career.

2016: Laremy Tunsil OT MISSISSIPPI – Talent is there, incomplete.

2017: Charles Harris DE MISSOURI – Talent is there, incomplete.

2018: Minkah Fitzpatrick S ALABAMA – Talent is there, incomplete.

79. naplesfan2010 says:

Stanger
    I am not big like those other guys on this blog that you mentioned.
    I am the exact ht and wt of TJ McDonald.
    In fact I played Strong Safety on defense in high school
    (although I was about 30 pounds lighter then).

Lol at Tim doing g his best grandpa impression

Looks like we may have our CB opposite Howard with McCain.

The coaches love him and say he’s a dog. He was real active last year. He made the jump and was rewarded with a new contract in his 4th year as a 2015 5th rd pick.

So this is an example contrary to David thinking young players might feel used and not rewarded. It’s how you go about your business as a pro. Some players aren’t good fits regardless of talent. Others are.

I’m not throwing in the towel on DeVante yet. I’m sure that Gase has a shorter leash than I do when it comes to DeVante, so he’d better get his act together this year, to be sure.

I would THINK that DeVante will be close to ‘good to go’ by the start of the season. Tape that middle finger to the ring finger and reinforce it. Lord knows that Marino broke his many of his receivers’ fingers over the years… MAN UP.

Parker gets a bad rap for these injuries as if he’s doing stupid shit to get them. He’s not a bad off the field guy or someone who doesn’t work hard etc. He’s one of those guys that can’t seem to avoid these minor but hampering injuries. What’s he suppose to do, eat more kale so his finger doesn’t break during an unfortunate play? LOL

• ElephantRider says:

Last 2 words of your post is his problem. He doesnt have that mentality. You can see it on the field.

My leash is off. I’m hoping he runs away…

85. 13kvFINS says:

Beach Potato @ Shout says that Drake/Wright had a fight in college Bama/Auburn,

86. naplesfan2010 says:

That’s actually a perfectly acceptable list of first round draft choices, OD
    No team gets them all right, because those are humans and very young adults.
    Long would be in the HOF if not for injuries.
    Tunsil might make it to the HOF, James is a fine tackle. Both are 100% NFL starters.
    Tannehill has been a starting NFL QB since day 1. Who can say that?
    Ginn and Davis have been valuable players their whole career.
    I do not know what happened to Odrick in Jacksonville. I thought he was a very good DT for us.
    Harris just finished his rookie year, a tough one for DEs on every team: look at the others taken last year, very little production, because they must play opposite the other team’s best OL every game.
    Minkah has not even played a down yet, but to me, the HOF is his to lose.
    Pouncey was the best center in football for a while or sometimes 2nd to his twin brother.
    Of course Jordan had a nervous breakdown when he realized he was not smart enough to play in the league and has never recovered. But sports science featured him as a maxiFreak at first.
    That leaves Parker, who has plenty of talent but gets nicked all the time and can’t play through any of it. He might be a semi-bust, but he has caught a lot of passes for us, just not for a #1 draft pick.

Hell even I played football at WR with a broken finger. Why can’t Devante just tape it to the ones on either side and tough out the pain. That is what we always did back in the day.

But if you put up any other team’s picks, will it look any better?

Langford is only coming back to see if he can find the necklace he lost on the practice field

88. naplesfan2010 says:

2007 4 Gaines Adams DE Clemson washout
    2008 20 Aqib Talib CB Kansas criminal played well in Denver
    2009 17 Josh Freeman QB Kansas State freaked out of the league a la Dion
    2010 3 Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma HOF
    2011 20 Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa averages 25 tackles and 4 sacks a year
    2012 7 Mark Barron S Alabama lost his starting job to TJMcDonald; now a LB
    31 Doug Martin RB Boise State WTF
    2013 — No pick — —
    2014 7 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M excellent player
    2015 1 Jameis Winston * QB Florida State OMG
    2016 11 Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida developing slowly
    2017 19 O. J. Howard TE Alabama good prospect; TB still only won a few games
    2018 12 Vita Vea already injured

Lol@ knuckleheads as the name of a rugby team. Or nincompoops.

Lol, Tim. I thought it was pretty obvious since those guys are nearing 60. But I think that about all my jokes (even the more esoteric ones). Though I know more than half of them probably miss. You never know how the written word will come across, and I often poorly express what I’m actually trying to.

Mike, your MENSA application was approved, lol. (because you got the joke [in case it wasn’t obvious])
    ———————–

Imagine Kendall Langford sitting on a park bench talking to a John Cleese type British guy.

John Cleese guy turns and says in a thick British accent:

“Welcome back, Langford. We can really use you. You were one of the few Dolphins that played well in our SuperBowl against the 49ers.”

Cue the Benny Hill music as Langford chases John Cleese British guy in circles through the park. Half naked ladies and cops get caught up in the chase. British guy reaches an endzone randomly painted in the park and spikes his coffee while Langford looks frustrated about giving up the score.

See, it is British humor. lol

91. naplesfan2010 says:

Reading through Kendall Langford’s twitter posts makes me remember what a fine person he is. I really hope he finds a place to continue his career, and it would be great if it’s with us.

He made some kind and heartfelt comments when Coach Sparano died. Do you think that put him back on our radar as a FA DT? We really need some help stuffing the run.

son of a son of a shula says:
    August 14, 2018 at 9:29 pm
    ————-
    I might be wrong, but wasn’t it an earring that Langford lost?

WOW!!!

At the current rate of speed, I think Jarvis is going to be out of the NFL within 2 seasons. Dude is straight F’d up in the head.

• ElephantRider says:

He’s a camera hog…hardknocks…

That altercation is not a result of 2 guys getting after it…it was basically a nothing play

He thinks he’s better than he is and uses toughness tactics to make his case. He has a good skill set, he’s just not dominant.

• 13kvFINS says:

Looks like he lost to me,

Mitchell cracked him in the throat, then judo flipped him for top position!!!

What a KOOK POS Is Landry, strutt’n around afterward like he blew too much air into his thumb, got whipped son and you were the aggressor, IDIOT!!!

Cute shorts though, my girlfriends all had shorts like those, easy access !!!

• Rhino says:

joins an 0 for fucking 16 team. good luck with that. He’s not wearing our colors anymore so I hope he enjoys all the lousy top 5 picks his new team will be making. so disappointing.

95. Rhino says:

FYI, I just got fired for blind-siding a pharm rep when he wasn’t looking. … pills everywhere. 😉

96. BailBondMike says:

Just had to say that a few years ago that i was harping for Bobby MCCain out of Memphis. Glad we got him.
    SON, see, being a Memphis homer aint so bad, LOL.

97. BailBondMike says:

Which brings me to CB TJ Carter for next year !!!!!!! He will be the best CB coming out next year.

98. BailBondMike says:

Landry has reached POS status in my book

99. BailBondMike says:

OK, quick fly by, smoking ribs and chicken thigh & leg qtrs by the pool. catch yall tomorrow.

100. BailBondMike says:

Didnt realize how late it is getting. Better eat LOL

Who’s the big bad wolf?

That’s our second Langford in as many weeks.

Those of you saying Parker should tape up his finger and get back out there…WTF, why would any player risk further injury before the season or have it linger all season? He’s a vet he doesn’t need more reps right now. If he was a 3rd round pick everyone would be saying he was a very good pick, and not trying to sell him for a bag of chips.

Parker out 2 weeks with a broken finger. It only heals with rest, that’s why they set it in a splint.

I’m looking forward to seeing how Owusu follows up last weeks performance, if he doesn’t get much of an opportunity the rest of the preseason games, then they’re trying to hide him to put him on the practice squad, if he gets a lot of balls his way he’s got a chance to make the 53.

Not sure he’s ready to play big minutes in a real game, but he’s intriguing at the very least.

The Herald reports Parker will not be traded.

I’d like to see Parker become a clutch 3rd down, redzone and long ball receiver, similar to how Gesicki is projected. We really dont need anyone to have big numbers. With Wilsson and Amendola we have 2 guys that can get open with the best of them, with Wilson being the best last year.

NEW BLOG UP!!