2018 Season – Game 16 – Dolphins @ Bills

So the 2018 NFL season will be coming to and end next week, and as per usghe, Dolphins will watch other teams in the playoffs. Also as per usghe, we will not be picking top 10. We’re not even good at that! Sometimes if you’re bad, it’s better to be baaaad. Get that top 5 pick, or even #1 pick, and then parlay that into more picks, and really change the roster. No, we’ll pick somewhere in the middle, maybe 15 or 16, or maybe even 18 or so when we beat Buffalo when it doesn’t count next week.

Let’s take a step back. I’m not mad that we lost yesterday, our playoff chances were slim going in, but for a while there, the Colts were losing, so our opportunity was there, but we couldn’t take care of business. It seems like whenever the stakes are high, and the playoffs are on the line, we manage to show our worst. Ryan Tannehill is a big part of that. He’s not, I repeat, NOT the guy that will lift your team. I watch a lot of games around the NFL, and the best QB’s take chances. They don’t always work out, but guys like Brees, Roethlisberger, Wilson etc. when the game is on the line, throw a 30 yard pass on 2nd and 8. They throw a 30 yard pass on 3rd and 10, in fact, they always look to get the ball downfield for a big play. That’s the last place Tannehill looks. He’s a warrior, but he’s gutless in his decision making. He’s not a guy that wants to get the kill, he’s a workaday bee. He’s more than happy to just do his job, but he’s not wired to kill.

There are rumblings for a big front office shakeup in Miami. If so, that would probably signal the end for Mike Tannenbaum ( Executive VP of Football Operations) and Chris Grier (GM). Which direction we would go from this I don’t know, but I’d hope we find a guy with experience that can build the team from the ground up. No quick fix plan, but build the team in the image of what he feels is successful, and sustainable in the current and future state of the NFL. Identify a HC, and mutually agree with that HC on the coordinators, and then build the team. If it takes 2 or 3 years, fine. Don’t cut corners to try and win now, no foolish FA spending. If we take our lumps for a year or two, so be it. Just build it right. The best teams do, and repeatedly are contenders.

If we don’t fire any executives and and don’t bring a new FO, I’d hope that Adam Gase is truly on the hot seat. I can’t be sure he’s not the one, but it’s becoming clearer to me that he might not be. For all of his offensive knowledge and potential, our offense is in the bottom 5. It’s understood we lost players to injury, yet there are players on the roster that are here that I feel are underused. Kenyan Drake had 10 total touches Sunday. He’s you’re home run hitter, the big playmaker. C’mon, it’s not like he’s Tavon Austin and we’re afraid he can’t touch the ball too many times, Drake is 6’1 212. Frank Gore is out for the season, and Drake gets 10 total touches. What’s the problem? Where’s the disconnect?

Forget about the defense, Gase has no part of that, and it’s obvious, because Matt Burke still has a job. Oh BTW, our defense is also in the bottom 5. Yeah, we lost some personnel there too, but it’s more than that, a lot more than that. We don’t make adjustments on either side of the ball, just keep going with what we’ve got. What we got ain’t working all too often, so . . . At the very least, if Gase is still here next season, he has to do 2 things. Fire both coordinators, find a legit OC who can call the plays so Gase doesn’t have to sit on the bench during the damn game doodling by himself. Find a legit DC who has been proven elsewhere, and will straighten out and identify our issues, and fix them. That might even be enough to save his job for the future.

I think we MUST draft a QB next season, and not just pick one in RD 5-7 to say we took a QB. It’s possible the best QB for us might be in RD 5, but then I want that guy competing to start from the get-go, and not sitting on the bench because Gase loves Ryan Tannehill. If Tannehill is still here next season, his reign is over. He is on notice, and any real competitors should have a fair shot to unseat him. If somehow he comes out on top, as soon as he falters, the next man up if ready should be given his shot. We’ve seen this show far too many times, It always ends the same. Ryan Tannehill has never played in a playoff game, and he probably never will. Nuff said!

I wish I had a brighter outlook for all of you, I think we all could use a little Dolphins cheer, but we’re going to have to wait and see how things shake out.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

Enjoy!

1,612 Responses to 2018 Season – Game 16 – Dolphins @ Bills

Well Stills didn’t throw it to himself

Well that will suck if we get 7 years of mediocrity and then nothing in return for a #9 pick.

Ha! Trade value going up for Tanny….albeit as a receiver!! Lol

Signs of life

Keep Jones ? Or Gase ?? Hmmmmm

RESHAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

7. naplesfan2010 says:

niiiice

M13,
    Bridgewater playing for NO.

I agree with MikeE. Trade Jones for something. Like it or not, we are gonna be rebuilding for the next 2 or 3 years, at least. Jones is probably already on the backside of his career. Get something now, if you can.

SO Not the expected response regarding Jones

I’m keeping Reshad… no ifs, ands, or buts. He’s our very best player on the Defensive side of the ball.

Just a casual note: I cannot tolerate this pirate woman who’s calling the game. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

We’re not close to anything worth keeping Jones. In 3 years, he’ll be in his, what, 12th season? I love the guy, but it makes no sense longterm.

Keepers:
    Tunsil
    Drake
    Howard
    Fitzpatrick
    Baker

After that it is role players and or what can you get for them

Cam Wake covering a TE?

I do t think the roster needs as much change as ya say.. we get back 2/5 of a starting OL next year .. we will have Wilson and wass is name back .. RB looks to be fine either with Gore or Bolden .. we have some quality Players on D, we Also certainly have some spots need filled … as Allen runs for 900 yards lol.. need a new approach on O and D as well as a qb for the future

2nd time I’ve notice Cam Wake in coverage today…

If you can get high value for Jones
    Go for it
    But I doubt you do

I certainly wouldn’t waive him or take anything less than a 4th rounder
    He’s worth more than that even if it’s just a couple of years

• manitobafinfan says:

Was More a case of Gase not playing nice with alphas , and Jones being latest to get in his face .. of the two I would like to keep Jones more

I think Gase is gone the question is who do we keep and build around and who has trade value

I don’t really think Jones is a problem

I think Gase is

But I’m just saying – we don’t need to force out veterans bc we are bringing in a new era

If some one wants to give us a high pick – that’s something
        If not just let him finish his career in Miami
        He’s been our best defender for years now

19. naplesfan2010 says:

Who is 31 with the great position on that TD?

toba,
    First, the Wild with a nice win against the Jets yesterday. 🙂
    ***
    For football, we’re gonna be starting over with a, presumably, rookie QB. That more than likely means at least 2 or 3 years of not a lot of wins. Both our offense and defense was not just bad..but really bad…this season. I don’t think our roster is all that close to being a playoff caliber team.

That last series, they had a QB sneak and it got me thinking….Has Tannehill ever done that? Of course it’s probably because we are 3rd and long 99% of the time. Nevermind.

22. BailBondMike says:

I would only take a high or mid 2nd round pick for Jones. Otherwise I keep him or SS becomes a need in the draft. When he was out a couple games, it was very noticeable.

23. ElephantRider says:

Cant waive Reshad…it would cost more than keeping him. He is going mowhere

That sack is all on Ryan.

• naplesfan2010 says:

smh
      his career as a starter is over … he needs a change of scene, maybe he can have a ryan fitzpatrick type of career from here on out

Keep Jones for what? What difference does he make here? I know keep Jones, Wake, Quinn, be the same shitty, OLD defense. We need to rebuild this team. Start by bringing in more young talent. Trade Jones for a 3rd while he still has some value. You guys are thinking with your hearts, not your heads.

26. Unfortunate part about Jones is Tannenbaum screwed the pooch on the bonus and restructure bonus to the point where it made it impossible to trade him. The dead money is prohibitive.

Randy: that game last night was very strange.. almost seemed like the pucks were not frozen .. at least the pucks that were on the Jets stix 🙁

Alonzo is an ass. Can we trade him?

M – Build around a 31YO SS? Who does that?

30. ElephantRider says:

Let the implosion begin….

Refs making sure game don’t end like last years … Kiko head hunting again, deserves ejection

Fuck Robert Quinn.

Toba,
    It was also a pretty calm game. Not nearly as many hits and fights as usual.

ER – I’d pay $12M in space for a 3rd or 4th RD pick

Did I just see Mills still on the sideline?

Welp, at least Drake hasn’t thrown a helmet… yet!

ER,
    That pick may not even end up being a player. It may be used to package with other picks to move up in the draft….possibly to pick a QB.

I have absolutely zero doubt that we’re going to see another fight today.

ER – Look at Pittsburgh, they’ve been letting older talent walk for decades. Which team is always in the playoffs, us or them?

Grant is the other WR that is back next year

Well at least Tannehill is over 100?yards in the third quarter

Toba, we have McDonald and Minkah. How many safeties do we need? Don’t you think it’s a bit of a luxury to carry 3 top safeties?

I do like how Ballage has played lately.

And so I was wrong… Tannehill went over 100 yards passing in the late 3rd quarter. STILL, SMH.

45. ElephantRider says:

I think Ross blows the whole thing up. Should be alot of happy people around here.

And as usual….we give up running the ball inside the 10.

Consider trading jones for a respectable Pick MAYBE.. for a 7th rounder because our HC cant get along with him HELL NO

ER – It’s just cap space man. Like I said, I hope like hell we don’t spend a lot in FA. I guess we disagree, I see you’re still all in for us going somewhere next year, I’m tearing it up and making a run for maybe 2021 or 2022. Draft a mid RD QB in 2019, and then draft another one early in 2020, after a 3-5 win season, and then make a run in 2021 or 2022. I have a vision! lol

Toba – T.J. isn’t as good as Jones, but we can’t get a 3rd RD pick for McDonald. I think McDonald is pretty good, he’ll be even better at SS with Minkah at FS

I just realized it’s the 2nd year in a row players are ejected in the finale

52. ElephantRider says:

Mike E

It’s all going to boil down to what happens next week. Who’s gone, who’s brought in and their direction.
    I think it will be hard to sell tanking to your new boss but we’ll see.

53. dcoralsprings says:

Man I had high hopes three years ago
    Can’t shake the feeling that the fat ladies about to sing
    Wheels on the bus goes round and round

Reshad getting paid $17M next season. That’s utterly absurd. We’d save $5M by trading him.

Piggy – I just mentioned the $17M because everyone is so up in arms with the $12M dead cap hit it would cost us to trade Jones, so I brought up we’ll actually save $5M. lol

Man I wanted Allen

Like I said, things continue to be VERY chippy out there!

58. dcoralsprings says:

That kid Allen may be a problem down the road

Should have left Matt Burke in Minnesota a couple of weeks ago.

60. Yep. I really think it’s going to be difficult to find someone to replace Adam Gase.

61. dcoralsprings says:

Ken, agreed last year was our time to make a move and he was the guy

I don’t really like Josh Allen as a passer at all. Not upset he’s in our division, not really worried abou t him, I’m worried about what happens with our team.

63. ElephantRider says:

The threat of the slide is what makes Allen an effective runner. You have to start pulling up when you get close….then he runs right by. Or if you dont he slides last second…..I’d hate to play defense against a running QB…..

At this point I’m just waiting for the MN/CHI game….should be a slobber knocker.

Calm down. Allen looks really good because he’s playing us.

66. I wished for Allen so much last year, he would be perfect in Miami until his rookie contract runs out and they send him to the patriots or some other afc east team instead of pay him for his loyalty here.
    but our inept management wanted to give Cutler 10 million, wtf.

67. Allen looks good because he always was good. But Fins didint want good, they wanted Cutler

68. If cutler is so superior to Allen, lmao I can’t even finish this hypothetical

Ken

Allen was very inaccurate in college
    And accuracy doesn’t really get better in the pros traditionally
    That 51 comp % isn’t inconsistent with his career

He may be able to put up better raw stats with a full season
    But his accuracy problems are not likely to improve
    Accuracy usually doesn’t get better in the pros

He is a playmaker. He reminds me very much of Elway who was also not the most accurate passer but had a tremendous raw talent and ability to make plays. Mark my words Allen is going to be a stud in the NFL.

Take a good look right now at Ryan Tannehill. This will be his last game as a Miami Dolphin.

I think Adam Gase just lost his job, too.

Man, we’re so close, we just have to keep Reshad next year. Wake and Quinn too. 😛

73. How is Cutler doing today ? Where is he at?
    He can never be a franchise QB, he was an ineffective bandaid, Allen is a potential franchise qb

I Would have been happy with any QB last year

75. I hope Tannenbaum and Gase go, they don’t know a damn thing about evaluating talent or deciding who to keep or cut

David, what the hell are you talking about? Cutler was here last year. Allen was still in college. Are you suggesting that we somehow could have gotten him instead of Cutler?

77. This is easy, cutler was a colossal waste of money, we would of been better off just drafting a guy like Allen for the followings year and roll with Moore last year.

What’s not to understand here? The FO is inept, and can’t evaluate talent, we’ve seen it with a lot of different players

Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

Cutler was a Bandaid after RT reinjured his Knee after the 2017 draft.. didn’t see that happening so YES needed a Bandaid at that point.. it was a slow peel off hurt like hell bandaid , but a bandaid we had no other option of. And FTR I hated it then as I have always hated cutler ..

80. We didn’t draft any QB, knowing that RT was suspect, that’s shortsiged imo.
    We brought in an expensive ineffective bandaid, who isn’t here now.
    We didn’t draft Josh Allen.
    So we ended up with no help last year, and no franchise QB this year either

Last years mistake screwed us for 2 seasons

Piggy:
    College stats are poor indicators, especially for QBs for projecting how a prospect will turn out in the pros. There is such a discrepancy between talent levels and systems run in college. The most important thing is physical ability and how it projects at the next level

You can say hithwt abiut yards and tds
      But Comp % is very relevant

There is no reason for a player playing at that level to throw such a low com %

We only have spam filters here, stupidity still gets through

Well now these assholes are just fucking with us. Time to start knocking some body out.

84. What are u guys missing, Cutler was great? We don’t need QB? Allen isn’t good? Go ahead make your points so I can bash the shit out of them, it’s your turn 😎

Piggy, I told you your dragons chain was too long, and your unicorn was in danger! Ya never listen!

I surrender. Yes… it’s time to FIRE Adam Gase.

The end of this season has been an embarrassment.

I want to see Gase sitting on the bench drawing plays just one more time . . .

David, we paid Jay Cutler for one year because Tannehill was injured, yes we still had Moore as a back up but we still needed a QB and the front office apparently felt one that knew the system was the best choice. Was it great? No. Getting a replacement like that rarely is. But paying Cutler 10 million has nothing to do with drafting a QB the FOLLOWING year.

90. It’s your turn guys, go ahead and debate that Cutler is a franchise QB for us, or we don’t need one, or Allen cant play, or whatever it is that is better than actually bringing a franchise QB in here

Gase knew he was gone early. There’s no way he doesn’t pull Tannehill after the 1st quarter and try to save his job. You can say ride or die all day but he knew Tannehill was out and he still decided to go with a very limited QB who was struggling and turning the ball over instead of the limited one who might have at least done something different.

92. I really don’t think Ross flew all the way from Hawaii to Buffalo just to see the game. He’s firing Gase.

MikeE,
    I just figured it out. All that time Gase was sitting on the bench by himself, he wasn’t trying to figure out how to gain more than 150 yards. He was writing his resume.

If we wanted Allen, we could have easily gotten Jackson who has a chance of being much better than Allen.

I honestly.ty didn’t want to invest in either of those guys

I would have been happy with baker or okay with Rosen

But I wasn’t so fond of the rest of the draft

• New Age says:

I didn’t either but there’s lots of fans here. Baker was my man, Haskins is my guy this draft and there’s a few next draft who will be special. Hopefully we get one.

Generally speaking

Even if we don’t like specific guys
        It’s inexplicable that they didn’t draft a guy mid rounds in either of the last couple of drafts

Many of y’all continue to follow the mainstream media narrative. Once Big Ben calls it quits, it will be Mason Rudolph time. And unlike all of these other rookie QBs, Rudolph will have the benefit of sitting and learning behind Big Ben… much like Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Brett Favre.

97. We made the Cutler mistake because we didn’t draft QB years before that.
    We do this every year since we drafted the wide receiver from the state of Texas to be our franchise QB. We compound mistakes by adding to them instead of fixing them.
    We don’t need bandaids, we need players that are part of the plan.
    This is why Dolphins suck, we have no on field leader, and leadership in FO is lacking too
    Changes are coming, but here’s hoping we make wise ones for a change!

New Age,
    We should have taken a QB one way or another. This FO set us back a year by not taking one.

^^^

BOOM, and we should have drafted Mason Rudolph in the 3rd round.

• New Age says:

I agree. There’s no future progress if you take take an option. Baker was my favorite but if I had to go with a QB, it would have been trading back and taking Jackson. Guy has so much talent and we could have rode it for a few years of playoff eligibility until we found better.

Did Ross arrive via helicopter?

100. Well, we moved up 2 spots from #15 to #13. Now just need Cincy and Denver to win to get to #11 for our new GM.

I didn’t realize we can get as high as 11

That’s not a bad place to draft from

• true. if Haskins does declare it will be easier to move up but, even if not, we have a shot at a blue chip defender; especially a DT like Simmons who’s going to eat in the middle.
        Plus, the higher position in rd 2 that also gives us a better ability to trade back into the end of rd 1.

102. We need someone that know what to do with draft picks, that isn’t named Tannenbaum or Gase

Okay

Well I guess we will know soon what the plan is for 2019

Everyone get ready for more good news

109. The Media vultures are circling around Gase, they seem to know breaking news is coming , and it won’t be good for Gase imo

110. Bills beat us 41-17, that’s telling

I’m sorry, but I’m 100% with my man Old Dolfan. Steve Ross is a HUGE problem for us.

112. Howard isn’t the best cb in the NFL. He’s good, but not the best. This sounds like Leveon Bell talk

I’m audi until later…

who do we get to replace gase if he is fired?

This is how I feel after a losing season

If we didn’t sign Cutler last year we could have done something else.

I’m rooting for CLE big time! I hate the Ravens only less than the Patriots and Jets and Bills

Well before this game started I told you guys & gals that Buffalo would cover the 5 point spread with room to spare. If anything, I understated the magnitude of Buffalo’s victory. THIS GAME WAS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE TO THE FANS OF THE MIAMI DOLPHINS!! THEY lost to a crappy Buffalo team by 25 points (about 4 touchdowns)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ANYONE who is OK with this needs to be put in an insane asylum!!!!!!
    This team needs a total rebuild from top to bottom, STARTING WITH THE OWNER!! –Since a new owner doesn’t seem to be an option, we’ll have to settle for a new most everything else, keeping ONLY those guys who have proven to be very successful at this level.
    ————–
    ROSS needs to talk to recently retired Ozzie Newsome to get a few ideas about WHO should be the next GM of the Dolphins. That person should be given the power to fill the HC’s job since, beyond a doubt, ROSS is NOT QUALIFIED to pick the right guy. The HC should be encouraged, with the help of the new GM, to hire asst. coaches who have proven they can succeed in the NFL.
    Obviously, the entire FO needs to go. A NEW Director of scouting needs to be in place ASAP because the current group of scouts has been PICKING THE WRONG GUYS with way too many of our draft choices! We are the “Dolly Parton’s of the NFL,”—big, big busts!!!!!
    ————-
    C’mon, Ross! Get on the lines and fire everybody who deserves to be fired! –Cal Ozzie!! –Time is of the essence as other franchises are also looking for new GM’s, new HC’s, and new heads of the scouting department! (That should read “CALL OZZIE!”).
    ————
    FINALLY. Ross needs to apologize to all Dolphin fans for putting them through the worst 10-year run in Dolphins history. He NEEDS to admit he’s failed us as an owner!! But I don’t believe he’s got either the will or the cajones to do it. He still believes his status as a mega-billionaire should shield him from any criticism, whether deserved or NOT!! Perhaps he doesn’t know what a billionaire I know readily admitted to me. To wit, “to get this rich, you’ve got to have one of the best products on the planet. If it’s NOT one of the best, improve it until it IS ONE OF THE BEST!”
    ———–
    SO, STEVIE, get your thumb out of your ass and get to work, PRONTO!! The longer you wait, the tougher the job will be.

Lou – Who would be your choice to be the head of football operations of MIA? HC too?

olddolphan says:
    December 30, 2018 at 5:05 pm
    ___________________________

You really went out on a limb with that prediction…congrats

121. ElephantRider says:

Anyone else think this was last game for Wake?

OD, why would anyone be okay with losing 42-17?

I have no idea what is going to happen with this team but it can’t stay the same.

123. wake and gore wont be back imo, father time wont wait around any longer to claim their souls with the rest of the retired great ones. may they both have a HOF future!

124. Per Antwan Staley, Adam Gase will not be speaking to the media tomorrow. ???????????

125. Ross is part of the problem, hes a great buisnessman, very rich, but this doesnt mean he understands the NFL. he needs a top minds in the game that know how to build and develop a team. the owner doesnt need to know everything about the NFL< just sign the checks, but he at least needs to hire the right NFL people, then everything has a chance to work out.

the browns were left for dead for years, then got some better FO management, better players, and they did very well this year. any team can improve if they bring in quality people

126. we may have put too much on Gases shoulders. he was head coach, called the plays, and evaluated talent.
    the right guy could possibly do all these things, but maybe Gase would have been more successful if he was just HC, had a great OC to call plays, and great GM to evaluate talent, with input from Gase of course

i just dont think Gase can do it all, maybe one of those roles , but not all

127. FanSided

Verified account

@FanSided
    3m
    3 minutes ago

Sources tell FanSided the #Ravens want to trade John Harbaugh. #Dolphins are frontrunners if that happens (via @MattVerderame)

128. Miami’s defensive line is the position group most in need of an overhaul. The Dolphins rank in the bottom-five of the NFL in sacks, and they sport one of the NFL’s worst run defenses. On the edge, Robert Quinn and Andre Branch are due huge salaries and could be candidates to be cut. Charles Harris, a 2017 first-round pick, has been a disappointment with just three sacks in his two NFL seasons. Wake is a free agent. Miami needs to add at least two and possibly more edge rushers to this group — and it’s likely the team’s biggest need. Defensive tackle is an issue as well. The Dolphins never properly replaced Ndamukong Suh.

one of the worst run defenses DL is due big raises? what if they had actually played well? damn.
    we need to draft 2 DL and bring in a FA too.’

charles harris is such a first round bust, SMH

Oh look…it’s the bottom feeders….here to gloat that the team sucked. But…what can you expect from socialist and losers.

Why would John Harbaugh want to come here and trade a couple of first RD picks away? That’s absurd! Furthermore, why would we entertain such a thing in the first place?

131. if we did bring in Harbaugh, he will need those picks , or it will set back his progress two years

132. the Dolphins DID trade for Shula and that worked out okay, but its a huge risk IMO

133. damn. Foles doing it again. SMH. and we’ve been stuck with the golden boy for 7 yrs

Black Monday will be upon us very soon, Will be interesting to see the changes if there are changes.
    IMO if you’re going to dump your whole FO this decision should have already been made months ago and you have a target in mind, other wise you stay status quo until a great opportunity presents itself

I don’t think today decided anything, it was already decided prior to today.

ACTUALLY, TIM, according to insiders quoted on the NFL Channel, the Dolphins’ FO was in complete turmoil today. Some wanted to keep the same regime while others wanted to clean house. But your sources are probably better than the NFL Network’s.

look around the league at the OC’s of teams like KC..The Rams…Not sure if they have one…or the saints maybe….and poach.
    that seems to be Ross’s method of operation with the hiring of Philbin and Gase.

Get Jeff Ireland back!

137. The Detroit Lions ended the season with a resounding 31-0 win over the Green Bay Packers to finish 6-10.

even a shitty team like the lions, who beat us btw, are looking at firing their staff, but they played their hearts out anyway, they skunked the Pack.

why the Fins just pack it in, in the face of adversity has to be found and changes need to be made

• herdfan says:

Yes, and the Packers had an interim HC, Philbin. So I’m not sure what this proves.

• simple, its an example of how some teams play their hearts out even though it doesnt count, and this team gets blown out 41-17, and has a history of packin it in too often, changes need to be made to get better results than what was seen today

DAVID: Despite all the evidence to the contrary, there are STILL Dolfans out there who believe everything will be OK with the current regime. Be patient, just a couple of good draft picks, and we’ll be contenders. These “flat earth” fans wouldn’t know a good coach or a good team if one bit them in the ass. That’s partly because most of them WEREN’T DOLPHIN FANS when we actually had a decent team way back in 2000. So they don’t have a viable point of reference..
      —————-
      SO SAD.

I thought Ireland did a fair job here after all there were other influences when he was here, he was over written by parcells and forced to select Pat White. Chad henne was one of parcells mistakes as well.

look at the saints Drafts, they’re killing it in every round!

139. good correct orob, that was right before ireland, but is it correct ireland traded up for dt3, and many other disasters? he did nothing to deserve a second chance here. we dont have much success to point back at

Jeff Ireland is the director of college scouting, not the GM for the Saints. Why do people keep ignoring that and keep giving him credit for their success?

Ocala,

No offense but I don’t think you know how this all works. Months ago, Ross probably didn’t know he might need to do a complete overhaul. Most teams don’t know that months in advance during the NFL season. If he has good people, then a list of candidates is already waiting but some won’t interview until after their playoff run in over.

All teams poach, no one has ever hired a guy off the street to be the HC of their team. The reason many of these guys get into coaching is to become a HC and their old staff loves to see them get the opportunity.

One thing is you definitely don’t do is stay status quo until ‘the right opportunity’ opens up. That’s how people stay in neutral and how you miss out on the next Matt Nagy, McVay, etc. There are lots of good coaches and you have to keep looking for the next great coach. Sometimes, you keep hiring until you find the right one. We don’t have that guy.

• And I highly doubt this is going to be anything close to staying with the status quo. This is going to be a full blown reset from top to bottom.

I don’t see anyone surviving this mess.

• ocalarob says:

and the other side of that coin is keeping a turnstile of coaches with different philosophies coming and going thru your organization.

you build for a certain philosophy then throw that out the window with new hires.

we had a lot of injuries this year, Gase has not had the time to put together his roster after 3 years.
      then you look at the money you are throwing away, Gase makes 5 mil per, that’s a 10 mil hit if you dump him now and then you have to pay the new hire. not to mention grier and Tannenbaums pay.

cheaper to stay staatus quo and not sure if Gase is really that bad or the injuries played a part in the lack of success. not having your starting QB hurts

• we havent had a franchise qb in decades, thats on ireland as well, he passed on some great qbs, and left us with pat white

• ocalarob says:

Pat White was a Parcells selection.

• what franchise qb did ireland bring to miami: nothing! he let other teams select them while wasting our picks he never drafted a franchise qb even though many other teams were doing so at that time

• Harbaugh had a pocket passer in Flacco for years. Now he has a running qb in Jackson. He made the adjustment and is winning with him. Good coaches adjust and win. That’s what Shula did. He won no matter who he had out there. When he drafted Marino he had to change his philosophy and go pass heavy on offense. Never did that before.

Good coaches can take what they’re given and win.

Wow! Just saw a stat whilst watching the Browns vs Ravens. Mayfield has 19 TD’s and 0 INT’s in the red zone this season. That’s just fantastic. I can’t imagine what Tannehill’s is . . .

143. naplesfan2010 says:

How the hell did we ever beat Chicago?

Lots of weird stuff being said today. LOL

Ocala,

At 79 yrs old and rich as hell, I don’t think Ross cares how much losing Gase will cost. Especially, since the Dolphins organization is worth far more than when he bought it. Nagy has built a better team in one year than Gase in 3. Same with McVay and McVay’s team has continued to ascend while Gase had one ok year and two very poor ones. Gase has final say and three years to make his roster. He should have been more anxious to get it right in 3 years instead of 6. Maybe he learns his lesson.

• ocalarob says:

i’m sure Ross would spend big for a guaranteed winner but who’s to say that changes will make this team better?
      when all is considered money has a part in it also,

i’m just lost as to who we would get? Mike Mcarthy???maybe the Bengals coach?

are they upgrade and worth the expense or do you wait another year to let Gase play out, you reduce your $ hit and who knows he may pan out.

they’re are legit reasons why this team struggled

Lou – Shula never managed to find a defense or a RB while he had Marino though

147. naplesfan2010 says:

I really hate the Vikings. I think they are a dirty team.
    for example, I think they hurt Frank Gore on purpose.

148. when Landry left, i knew our offense would suck royally and it did even with tannehills return SMH

btw Lamar Miller had a great day too, Fins know how to blow player evaluations and retainment

Lou – Receiving TD’s. It would have to be a RECEIVING TD to count as part of that stat. Thanks!

Gase may one day be a great head coach. A lot of winning coaches have been fired from some other team before. It doesn’t take them out of contention for a new job with a new team. But he’s not a good coach now and I believe a big part of that is his own fault. I don’t see an offensive guru or QB whisperer. Time to move on.

I always tried to be supportive of Tannehill because he was our QB but I thought he was drafted way too early, he wasn’t a 3rd rounder much less 8th overall. Reportedly a good guy, but he’s not getting it done after all these years, it’s also time to move on.

Ross owns the team. He’s hopefully learning too because we aren’t getting rid of him. He seems willing to spend money on his team and he seems smart enough to not meddle in the football aspect. Hopefully he gets it right this time and gets a new FO that can turn this around.

Go Dolphins!

151. so Landry isnt helping the browns lmao i call bullshit Landry is the possession receiver you forgot; u cant get in the red zone unless u get first downs before, landry is a first down machine record breaking pro bowl receiever that also blocks and even makes passes for the browns. he is a huge part of their improvement, win 7 games instead of 1.

Landry got 220 first downs for Miami, dont remember? its in the history books to see

what did amendola wilson and parker do, landry is better than all 3 combined imo, more durable, talented, and keeps the offense on the field, something they cannot do

Go laugh your ass off – WTF does Landry have to do with Mayfield throwing 19 TD’s and 0 INT’s in the red zone when he didn’t catch any of them? If you could just pay attention to what people are saying, it would make replies more logical and relevant.

• i always pay attention, and clarified you cant get into position to score, unless your offense can stay on the field with a first down machine like they have, and we no longer have,
        he keeps the offense on the field with first downs, which of course sets the plate for others
        browns arent a one man team, landry plays his role better than anyone else ever in the history of the game for us, and seems to be doing well for them too.
        do we have any receivers that can get 55 first downs a year on our team> i dont see it, and its why we punt way too often, cant get td when you punt huh?

as much as u dont like, u or anyone else dont get to take Landry away from the browns success, because he is a huge part of it

152. naplesfan2010 says:

If you read the article that Orob linked to above …
    I think this is almost identical to what I think was the plan.
    And it was a good plan,
    until the last two games.
    The way we lost to Jax and Buff was so unacceptable that it might have changed the plan.
    which is why Ross is not talking and why he is looking nauseous.
    Losing like that makes him question the plan.
    So now he knows it is all on him to go hide
    and re-evaluate everything including the Grand Plan.

If we had lost the last two but played well and looked respectable, …
    but we didn’t.
    We embarrassed ourselves.

153. this reminds me of when Jason Taylor went to the jets, alot of Miami fans said Taylor was no good, glad hes gone, etc lmao

its the nature of the beast, hate on the guy thats not here anymore, Taylor was Miamis best defender ever

David,

A good WR would have just scored in the Balt game. An average one would have been dropped at the 1…..

155. dcoralsprings says:

The Harbaugh story was out last week from Florio
    He was saying that the Ravens are not in fact “keeping Harbaugh” but the one year extension was more of a welcoming phone calls
    Also stated that Miami was expected to be a player

Mike E,

Make that 20-0. That’s what an elite QB looks like.

Yup – That really is impressive. I wanted Mayfield, but I didn’t think he would go #1, I thought he might fall to us, or close enough that we could move up and get him. Didn’t happen.

157. but landry getting tackled at the 1 doesnt mean Landry and the browns didnt win 7 games this year, they arent undefeated, granted, no one is.

but my point is he helped them win 7 games, a tackle at the one wasnt part of any point and is basically a different point
    but no one can take away Landrys NFl records he set in Miami, if Landry wasnt good, he would not have broken the NFL records, nor make the pro bowl either
    so a guy that breaks an all time record in the history of the NFL, isnt good> what about the thousands of other receivers records he broke, they all suck?

Good grief, if Landry is all that much better than every other WR, the one player that makes a difference, why didn’t we win more games when he was here?

• we did better last season with cutler, moore and Landry than we did this year with tannehill and wilson, go ahead and deny his pro bowls and records, i cant do it, it would be lies
      denying a mans success doesnt change it, it just shows disrespect for a guy that gave his all for us imo

• naplesfan2010 says:

weren’t we 6-10 last year and 7-9 this year?

• we didnt have tannehill the last season or part of the season before, he is our starter and supposed to be better than culter and moore, but Landry is the missing guy this year, wilson didnt do jak shit but a nice play or two, and gone for the rest of the season, he didnt break records and make the pro bowl, none of our receivers did

no one is a durable as Jarvis landry and lebron james, they are always there for their team while babies like Parker arent

159. naplesfan2010 says:

Is that a catch by Landry?

160. naplesfan2010 says:

bad pass by mayfield

161. naplesfan2010 says:

mayfield throws a pick to end the game

162. naplesfan2010 says:

Bucs fire Koetter

Now we have to wait at least another week for John Harbaugh

• naplesfan2010 says:

didn’t he just win his division and sign an extension? and bring on a new QB with a great future? Why would the Ravens fire him?

164. naplesfan2010 says:

Did Mahomes just throw for 50 TDs?

David I’m not disrespecting Landry. I liked him when he was ON OUR TEAM. He isn’t now so he’s not a factor in discussing our team NOW. I fail to see what he has to do with the Dolphins now. There’s all kinds of what ifs that can be said and none of it matters. At some point you have to recognize he’s no longer on the team and let it go or go find a Browns blog to talk about Landry because that’s the team he’s on.

166. naplesfan2010 says:

LeBron is hurt and showed up to watch his team play with a glass of red wine.

167. If Koetter is out than so is Gase.

168. lets change the subject, Marino sucked when he broke records and made pro bowl appearances, right? SMH

thats the kind of shit u are asking me to accept? cmon man, thats not fair, lol Marino was GREAT for us, and we werent as good when he left either

David – Not sure why I’m wasting by time, but the stat I brought up has nothing to with the volume of red zone attempts, just how well Mayfield performed in the red zone. It really has nothing to do with Landry at all. He threw 19 TD’s without an interception. Why you feel the need to throw Landry into the equation is mind boggling. He’s a way overpaid slot receiver, and that’s all he’ll ever be. He’s not here because the Browns paid him like a Michael Thomas or a Julio Jones, and he’s not worth 3/4 of what those make. Those guys are elite wideouts, Landry isn’t in their league, but he got paid like he is.

• its mind boggling to Me why you think Landry isnt part of their success.

your stat about red zones, how do teams get in red zones, punting or first downs? Landry set the stage, first downs get U into position to score from the red zone, and of course, Mayfield did very well in the red zone stats

Fuck man, you just don’t read. That’s the problem

• even on the plays Landry didnt catch a red zone pass, did he maybe throw a block, or at least take a db away from someone else? its a team sport, and Landry plays his role as first down machine for his team, we dont have a WR like that now, so of course it makes it much harder for usto stay on the field

• ocalarob says:

I disagree mike Landry had to make catches to get Mayfield in the redzone didn’t he? I think Davids right, Landry is the best WR in the league if he can carry the Browns!

WOW! I talk to y’all tomorrow!

172. Armando is reporting that Rex Ryan has been calling a bunch of his guys who he’d want as assistants to guage their interest in joining him in Miami.

Rob – I’m gonna strangle you at D&B’s next year, you better show! 🙂

I didn’t know we could assemble a Dolphins team with all these past players and put them on the field today. Damn, we could have had Marino and Jason Taylor playing all this time and didn’t? Why stop there? Bring em all into it. 😂

• take that to another blog, lmao crazy stuff org or something do what i say now or else, lmao,
      damn what a bitter person for New years/ have t troll the blog huh? try to have a happy new years, i know i will, and u dont get to tell me what to do or say, so screw off and happy new years or miserable new year if u prefer/ im out, u dont get to waste my time tonight Herd

Kirk Cousins is 4-24 against teams with a winning record.

Herd doesn’t troll the blog. She RUNS the blog

177. well, we ended up with the #13 pick. hopefully, it’s a lucky #13.

David is correct in that he said to change the subject, that would be AFTER the post of mine he is referring to, so he can be all upset or whatever, I didn’t bring Landry back into anything. What’s the point in discussing him at all is my point. I’m not in any way telling him what he can and can’t say. I’m saying I don’t get talking about players who are no longer on the team as if it makes a difference to us right now. You could play that game all day long, we could assemble a fantasy football team here for the Dolphins if that were the case. It’s not reality.

what do we have in common with the Bucs..Giant(maybe), the Jags, the Broncos (maybe and the Redskins?
    They all may be looking to draft a QB.

bad news is they all draft in front of us.

I think the odds of getting a franchise QB in this draft is small. Much better and deeper QB class in 2020. Get the OL and DL in this draft. Trade what we can so we have draft capital of n 2020 and that is when we take our next shot at a franchise QB

• Thing is, unless Haskins declares I don’t see any point in trying to draft a qb in the 1st rd. I think the better thing to do is grab a blue chip d-lineman and possibly a center or guard in the 2nd. Maybe try for Stidham or Blough and use a bridge guy for the year at qb. Build what you can instead of reaching and wasting more time on a 1st rd qb who’s not going to get it done.

herd runs the blog??? Well, now that I know who runs this place, I will be writing a sternly worded letter. Where do they sell those stamp things?

181. Bowles out
    Koetter out
    But Gase is still here.
    other teams can fire their head coach but Miami has to have a better choice or they can’t do it

Lou – I agree – It looks like at this point, we should just grab a QB in the mid rounds this year, and then go for the gusto in 2020.

183. Also being reported is Joe Rose may have spilled the beans on Gase’s future saying “he’s gone” and “it’s over”.

With Bowles fired that now makes him a free agent. I wonder if Ross’s jet is heading for New York tonight?? After all, he’s available and, compared to either Harbaugh, he’s cheap! But there’s one problem: Bowles has prior experience as an NFL head coach!

Scratch that idea!!

I can’t really think of anything Gase has done that would make me keep him.

186. dcoralsprings says:

Ugh now sexy Rexy wants the job, wonder if he’ll bring his brother and that wonderful hairdo

LOL… that is all.

When Tannehill got picked off at like the 40 or whatever and the DB went out of bounds, when did they start doing celebrations in the end zone with the entire defense and a coordinated celebration? They didn’t score. I thought that shit was all about TDs. The DB was waving his team to join him in the end zone for the celebration even after the play was dead. WTF was that?

Do we pay Ju’Waun James???

Can you imagine Rex stepping foot on the Dolphins sideline

191. BailBondMike says:

I think our 1st pick needs to be a DE if Haskins is gone. I would make another pick on D in the second unless Minchew is there in the second. Quinn is a one trick pony. Never seen him bull rush or try a spin move. He seems relatively easy to block because of this. OL seem to use his momentum against him and push him 7-8 into the backfield. Only sacks he gets are coverage sacks. We were stacked at DE to begin the season (on paper) now, IMO, it’s a glaring need.

Yeah Mike, he can’t bend and turn, it’s always this wide arc where he’s already past the QB, and he’s always swiping as he goes by. I think I’ve seen enough of that.

Keep in mind that James had Jesse Davis next to him all year long, and how much that affected James’ play. It really does make a difference when the guy next to you is whiffing regularly. I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that we don’t re-sign James. Look at the FA RT’s available in 2019 and tell me who you really want

Jared Veldheer RT 32 DEN TBD $7,000,000 UFA –
    T.J. Clemmings RT 27 OAK TBD $701,239 UFA –
    Kendall Lamm RT 27 HOU TBD $660,000 UFA –
    Andrew Donnal RT 27 DET TBD $660,000 UFA –
    John Wetzel RT 28 ARI TBD $630,000 RFA –
    Denzell Good RT 28 OAK TBD $583,196 UFA –
    Matt Feiler RT 27 PIT TBD $495,000 ERFA –

Bringing Rex here would probably increase the foot traffic at the stadium

Rex will make sure that the team puts its best foot forward

Mike, Jesse Davis had nothing to do with James letting guys fly right past him. Like Ken said, at times he looks like a stud and other times he’s a turnstile. That’s average. I wish it wasn’t so but he’s not worth being paid big money. I think we can replace him much cheaper.

Rex puts the foot in football. You can’t make this stuff up. LOL

So . . . . . Which Free Agent that plays RT do you want? I gave you the list, who is it? Now dammit! lol