Hall of Fame : Zach Thomas

I was listening to NFL radio on my drive home last night from work. They were interviewing one of the guys responsible for notifying players that they have made it into the Hall of Fame. It was really interesting, and a nice perspective on it. One of the first things he said was he would love to eliminate the word “snub” from all Hall of Fame discussions. He elaborated that all people do with the voting is vote people “IN”, no one gets voted out. When someone doesn’t get in they simply didn’t get enough votes to get in.

So get this . . . The NFL is celebrating it’s 100th year, it all started back in 1920. Then Pro Football Hall of Fame was created in 1963. That means that for 43 years, no player was inducted in the Hall of Fame which created quite a backlog. This is just one of the obstacles that the committee faces and has faced since it started. It’s far from just being a backlog that’s the issue. There are literally so many great players that are worthy for consideration. The fact that Zach Thomas is on the cusp of this greatness speaks to just how great he was. This is the 2nd year in a row in which Zach is being considered, last year as a Semi Finalist, this year as a Finalist.

More perspective. There are 341 players in the Hall of Fame. Only 189 are currently alive. Three Hundred and Forty One. I’ve been watching football since the late 1960’s, and it was probably not until at least the 80’s where I really started to understand the game better, and I can think of so many great players that I’ve seen. Zach is getting recognition, being a finalist is no joke or easy accomplishment. 341, that’s a very small number taking into account a span of 100 years and so many players.

Some more perspective – Here’s the list of Finalists with Zach this year.

Bryant Young DT

Richard Seymour DE/DT

Sam Mills LB

John Lynch S

Edgerrin James RB

Steve Hutchinson OG

Torry Holt WR

Alan Faneca OG

LeRoy Butler S

Isaac Bruce WR

Tony Boselli OT

Steve Atwater S

Reggie Wayne WR

Troy Polamalu S

I saw each and every one of those players play and this truly constitutes the best of the best. You can’t look at any one of those names and deny their greatness. They were all dominant players who were special. Zach Thomas is right there with them. The 2nd picture shows how he played the game, he played with abandon and put his body on the line each and every game. Luke Kuechly retiring at the age of 28 is a sobering reminder of just how much of a toll this game takes on your body and mind. Zach played in 13 NFL seasons and he felt the wear and tear of concussions and other physical damage. He purchased a Hyperbaric Chamber so he could attempt to minimize the effects of those concussions. There was no official count, but there were too many for sure.

Zach Thomas’ stats stand up against anyone’s. He was just a fantastic player. He was a 5 time 1st Team All Pro. That’s huge! He was also a 7 time Pro Bowler. All this in a league that had LB’s like Junior Seau, Derrick Thomas, Brian Urlacher etc.

1734 tackles, 16 FF’s, 20.5 sacks, 17 INT’s, 4 defensive TD’s, 48 passes defensed and 74 tackles for loss, the first 3 years of his career both TFL and passes defensed were not accounted for.

As most of you know, I got to meet Zach Thomas and spent a good deal of time talking to him. He was so gracious to do that, especially when he was on his own vacation, but that’s how selfless he is. He couldn’t be any more humble or down to earth, just a regular guy talking about the game he loved. I hope he gets in and I hope I get to see it, but it’s no slight if he doesn’t, there are just so many great players and not enough spots for them all.

584 Responses to Hall of Fame : Zach Thomas

RT is who we thought he was.

He said that himself yesterday. He said I’m the same player just with better stats. He alluded to the fact that he has a better cast with a strong running game and a good defense, that’s why his stats are better. He said he’s not playing any different.

Please pouring it on Niners!!

Sorry Toba

Toba won’t be upset, Darlene is a huge Niners fan. She’s happy, he’s happy.

• manitobafinfan says:

Just cause she’s happy don’t mean I have to like it 😡

Possibly why he is upstairs and I am downstairs lol. Or it could be I am also watching hockey at same time , and she’s superstitious about moving and then losing their mojo 🤔

They got the memo 👍

Ouch

GETTING READY FOR ANOTHER 7-Day work week this week. Gotta travel to Georgia for another convention. Supposed to be 14 in Atlanta tomorrow. But it’s supposed to be warmer when I travel on Thursday.
    ————————–
    My favorite event today in the NFL was the fact that FAU’s Greg Joseph kicked a FG and 3 extra points for Tennessee in their playoff loss to Kansas City. He is, I believe, THE FIRST FAU FOOTBALL PLAYER TO SCORE in an NFL Conference title game. I’ve missed nearly all of the GB-SF game. But I’m hoping Aziz Al-Shaiar, a Niners linebacker & special teamer, gets to make a few plays in this game (and the Super Bowl to follow) in front of his former team mates from FAU who will be in the stands.
    —————————
    I’ll be watching the upcoming Chiefs-Niners Super Bowl with keen interest. I’m guessing the Niners will be 3-5 point favorites. But I like Kansas City’s offense A LOT!! And I am, at heart, an old AFC fan. EXCEPT when New England or Buffalo represent the AFC. In THAT scenario I’ve ALWAYS rooted for the NFC team in the Super Bowl.
    ————————
    HEY MIKE E: Would it be possible to have a “Predict the Score of Super Bowl LIV Contest?” Perhaps combined total points by both teams could be used as a tie-breaker?
    EXAMPLE: SF-31-29 60 points.
    Talk to you guys tomorrow.

I was actually going to pick 3-2 Chiefs over Titans

I’m glad there’s some different teams in the SB this year. I think the 49ers are going to win it.

On another note, has anyone watched the Aaron Hernandez documentary on Netflix?

Man Garapolo is in fire tonight. Come back player of the year numbers for sure 🙂

D: The KC defense shut down Tennessee’s Derrick Henry, especially in the 2nd half. If they can do the same to the Niners’ running game, Jimmy G is going to have to win the Super Bowl through the air. And, frankly, I don’t think San Francisco will run for anything near 300 yards against Kansas City. THIS TIME I’m REALLY OUT!!

Let’s hope Miami uses their plethora of picks to build a killer D.

The 49ers defense makes me want to build our team that way. You can beat top QBs with that and a strong running game. Then if you land a top QB you’re on top.

12. naplesfan2010 says:

This is my last comment on Tannehill.

Tannehill did not lose the game. The Titans defense could not stop Mahomes.
    Tannehill completed 68% of his passes for 210 yds, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs.

Henry was bottled up and did not even get 70 yards.

Tannehill did not put the team on his back and carry them to victory,
    but neither did Aaron Rodgers, who DID throw 2 picks.

The story was the Titans could not stop Mahomes’s RUSHING..

13. naplesfan2010 says:

Yes D we need OL in the draft.
    Yes Piggy we need RBs in the draft.

They are there. And we have the picks.
    That is why I think drafting a QB is a waste for us this year,
    although I won’t complain if we pick Tua unless he busts.

I just realized the 49ers were 4-12 last year

Not a lot made about them turnaround but from 4-12 to the super bowl is pretty crazy

So, is it the consensus here that KC is going to win the superbowl? I mean the 49’rs won behind a 220 yards rushing 4 TD performance by Raheem Mostert

16. Philip Bijeau says:

Derrick Henry is a free agent. How would he look in a Dolphins uniform?

He’s great but I generally don’t like the idea of spending big $ on a running back

that position often has an immediate impact, so rookies take very little time to develop if they are any good

And effective rookies can be had for less than first rounders too

The player is a very good one. The position is a need. But in terms of overall efficiency of where we spend our resources I would rather see us draft RBs (multiple ones) with day 2 and day 3 picks

I wouldn’t mind spending free agency money on one of Henry’s teammates, Right Tackle Conklin.

I’m not fixed on spending on one or two particular positions. Some of it is out of the team’s control and is based on availability. But I hope they spend on OL and DB in free agency and maybe a pass rusher before they bring in a vet RB.

Been some really fun football these playoffs….until that SF/GB game. I like this SB matchup. The rising star, next great QB with the aging coach who has never won the Big One against a complete team of a bunch of hard nosed guys with the up and coming young coach. High powered offense against a dominant defense. Midwest farmers against Surfer Dudes. Lol
    ***
    I really hope this game lives up to the hype. This could be one of the best SBs we’ve seen in awhile. If SF can run the ball, which I think they can against KC, and control the clock, I think they have a good chance. Andy Reid needs to come up with some way to score against this D and Mahomes will probably have to play like a superstar.

KC just shut down Henry so it’s possible they can do the same against SF. It’s a really good matchup of strengths against strengths. I want KC to win but I’m not sure the outcome this game is too close to get a bead on

I don’t really think KC shut down Henry. He actually averaged 3.6 yards yesterday, which isn’t great but its not horrible either.

KC isn’t very good defending the run. SO their version of taking away the run is to make the run useless by forcing teams to play catch up

KC just got ahead and took the running game away. And the Titans just aren’t built to play catch up. I thought the writing was on the wall on the game.

When KC fell behind early I was worried, but as soon as KC began to score, I knew that would happen

I know some of you love Tannehill and defend him. He didn’t play bad yesterday. He didn’t play good either. He took some bad sacks and bad times and didn’t really stretch the field much. It just felt like the same player we saw in Miami and personally I was ready to part ways with him and I’m glad we did.

SF has a much better defense than the Titans, #2 in the league in terms of yardage, So if they want to follow a model where they try to keep the ball put of KC’s hands and don’t pass much, they are a lot more likely to be successful.

Pretty solid eval.

But have you seen my no pants dance

• ElephantRider says:

I think everyone was ready to move on from RT17, no matter everyone’s different opinion of him.

I will always be a fan of the man RT17. Good dude that I will always enjoy whatever success he finds.

There’s nothing to hate him over. He had a lot of good qualities. But I don’t think everyone was ready.

The “why did we let him go?” was ready to be unleashed.

At this point Dolphins fans will use whatever they have to criticize the FO

Joe Schad Retweeted

Sportsnet Stats

@SNstats
    Jimmy Garoppolo is the first QB to win a playoff game when attempting 8 passes since Bob Griese in Super Bowl VIII

49’rs better plan on throwing more than 8 passes in the SB.

SF can get away with a run-oriented game plan and win if they continue to play good defense and Garropolo makes the plays he has to.

It will be a close game if they do that

KC won’t fold up like GB did. Mahomes will exploit a too aggressive pass rush by running if he has to. Also, Mahomes has better weapons with Willliams, Hill, Kelce etc.

The problem is Mike, KC doesn’t defend the run very well

So the 49ers can limit their opportunities to score
        And if they do that, their D, which is a good one, should be able to stop KC on a few drives

Could end up a lot like the Giants/Bills Super Bowl

But that’s limited window

Once the levy breaks – if KC gets up multiple scores, it’s probably over

Naples – I don’t think anyone here thought or said that Tannehill lost the game yesterday. The problem is, because Henry was limited once KC went up on Tennessee, I knew it was over because you couldn’t expect Tannehill to win a shootout with Mahomes. It’s why I think he can take you only so far without Henry having a monster day. That’s how that team was built.

I wasn’t evaluating Tannehill now versus when we had him, or even ever wanted him back. I was plain and simple cheering for him because I like him, kind of like what ER has been saying. It was just a rooting interest with no deep evaluation or defense of his skills intended. That was just my thought process…in case anyone cared…LOL

I hear you. But I don’t think he was particularly deserving of some of the praise that was heaped on him during the titans postseason run

Piggy – I think KC will sell out on the run, and make Garroppolo beat them through the air. The Chiefs averaged over 28 points a game, they’re gonna score, they scored on the Ravens, Titans, Texans etc. The games where they score less than 28 they they didn’t allow a lot of points with the Packers being the one exception, they beat KC good.

That’s what I would do if I was KC

For the record I think it will be a Blowout in favor of KC

But my point is the only real shot for SF to win, is to keep the ball out of Mahomes hands

I don’t remember ever hearing of Raheem Mostert before yesterday’s game. Then I saw this morning that he was a Dolphin for all of one game in 2015 and had the “go figure” moment.

Huh, figures.

January 20, 2020 at 1:36 pm
    …….At this point Dolphins fans will use whatever they have to criticize the FO”

Man, it is very easy to criticize this front office and for good reason. 20 years of mediocrity and no sure direction. Tons of players who weren’t good enough here contributing and / or excelling elsewhere. It’s not like the front office doesn’t deserve criticism.

This is an interesting stat

And it’s good reason to work Albert Wilson into the offense next season rather than to part ways with him. Hopefully Wilson can be what he was in 2018 for us. He didn’t look so good in 2019

30 second Superbowl spot is going for $5 million. Man am getting old…. remember being shocked when it hit a mil. Let’s pass the hat and buy one….. what should it be about?

I’m thinking the end of the Pats game and Flores making dudes go to the takes no talent wall along with some nice South FL footage. You know every single FA will be watching.

For the Chiefs to win, Mahomes will have to play a great game, just a good one will not get it done. He’s entirely capable of doing it, but I have the Niners in this one. I just think they have a more complete team that plays excellent in all phases of the game.

The Niners came pretty close to being undefeated this season. All 3 of their losses were on their opponents last possession with 2 of them on the literal last play of the game and the 3rd was on the 2nd to last play..

Chiefs won’t stop the Niners run game and the Niners defense will create pressure. Getting Dee Ford back makes that dline as good as what the Giants beat the Patriots with in the ’07 season. So IMO, Mahomes will have to play lights out or the Niners could potentially run away with it. If he plays great (which I think he will), this will be a SB to remember.

When talking about the Dolphins front office you need to realize the current structure has only been in place for a year.

Grier has been with the team for 25 years. He has been directly involved with every draft for the last 10 and has been GM for the past 3 (going on 4)

We all know that but he’s only been the top dog for one year and we’ve never seen his plan in that role. His GM title was not top dog under Tannenbaum. Let’s see if this rebuild plan works under his control. Going back 20 years and putting the failures all on Grier is looking for a current scapegoat.

30. naplesfan2010 says:

Even I knew it was time for Tannehill to leave the Dolphins.
    About the sacks, every QB gets sacked, especially when your rush game is not going well and / or you must throw it to play catch-up and the defense knows that.

Aaron Rodgers took several deep sacks against SF and fumbled 3 times in addition to his 2 picks.
    That is why i picked SF to win … those DEs.

31. naplesfan2010 says:

Mahomes is playing in another galaxy right now. I hope he gets MVP.
    I think if SF can’t keep track of where Kelce is, they will lose.
    Mahomes is reading D’s so well, it’s hard to put him in a bad play.
    That, together with Mahomes running the ball out of TFLs for first downs
    AND Tyreek’s speed AND their kick returner getting field position,
    plus Damien’s prowess receiving,
    it’s just too much firepower.

Also I don’t think Mostert can get 212 and 4 TDs against KC’s run D.

So I am picking KC. Their coach has more experience as well.

49ers defense and running game against Chiefs Mahomes and explosive offense. Great matchup of teams that win in different ways.

32. ElephantRider says:

I thought Albert Wilson started to look like he was getting that explosiveness back toward the end of the season. I think he can be a big threat with the outside guys playing so well and Geisicki coming into his own.

This team has talent in the weapon positions….

33. naplesfan2010 says:

I’m fine with a WR corps of Devante, Hurns, Preston w, Wilson, Grant, and Ford.

I like our twin TEs Gesicki and Smythe, but we do need a third TE. I’d promote Myarick.
    I thought in the preseason he looked like he could play in the league.
    I still think we should draft a TE in day 3.
    I know Clive can make some plays, but he had some bad drops.

I’m not sold on Smythe, solid blocker (not dominant) but sub par receiver. I see us looking to improve the depth at TE. Gesicki no doubt is in the mix as a receiving weapon.

I’m not a Wilson fan at all. The only reason I’d keep him is the contract cost. He’s never really produced and KC moved on from him for good reason. He’s also only finished one NFL season out of six. He’s just not very good. He started strong in 2018 but the same QB we have next year didn’t throw his way very often. Thirteen games-391 yards is Option 4-5 for the QB. Might as well copy KC and take a late flyer on a speedster like Hill.

He missed a lot of the season last year and it took him most of this season to get back to 100% which is when he started producing. I like him as a player and he gives you an explosive option on any play. He showed that explosiveness early last season before he got hurt. You can’t just look at total stats.

To me Parker, Williams (coming off knee surgery), Hurns, Wilson, Grant and Ford is plenty to work with along with the rising Gesicki at TE. We need a dynamic RB. Of course OL and a future QB as well.

Name the movie:

“See you at the party Rictor”

New Age says:
    January 20, 2020 at 6:44 pm

I’m not a Wilson fan at all…………………………r like Hill.

Keep in mind that there is an entirely new offensive scheme being installed this offseason (again, sigh) so who knows. Wilson may be familiar with it or click to it better than the modified Erhardt-Perkins system O’Shea brought with him from NE. New language, new everything again.

as an aside, if Rosen sticks and soehow succeeds it will be his what 20 offense? LOL

Gailey doesn’t run an overly complex offense. It’s about simple execution and playmakers making plays. I’m not worried about the slight change in terminology. Gailey comes from the Erhardt-Perkins system.

I think Flores wants a team that wins with will, not trickery. Gailey gives him decades of experience in coaching – execution, not just play books. We just watched the playoffs and what I saw was talent making plays and the best teams in all phases winning.

Football is not that complicated.

• New Age says:

Too damn true on all the above.

I think the NFL is quite pleased with this season. Lots of great games and stories, unpredictability and “Old Style” football if I may be so bold. 😉

39. dloxahatchee says:

I thought that the Titans run was great, lots of fun
    I like KC but found myself cheering for the underdog lol

Any replacement for Mike E on the list?

Does anyone else find the whole Jim Caldwell situation extremely weird? I understand getting sick but he was sick until it was exactly time for another offseason and time to go.

In some ways yes, but the officiating was really bad, and will need to be addressed in the off-season. Some of these rules put them at a huge disadvantage, like the must go PI challenge. At least what is a catch seems to be solved.

On the whole though I agree, people will only remember what happened in the playoffs and who won, or in this case who lost. There’s a poll out that asks who they want to win this SB and 90%+ are just glad the cheats aren’t in it, that says it all.

I played Fantasy Football this year for the first time in 6 years, before the draft they were talking up Mahomes, and I said his stats were too high last year to match, they’ll be pretty good, but not nearly what they were. But the team will probably do better, maybe a little wishful thinking, so the cheats wouldn’t make it.

Funny how the accomplishments, after the Rock bottom from week 2, on this season turned out for us. Could it have anything to do with no expectations🤔

44. bailbondmike says:

Help! Made a post but it’s not posting.

The Auburn CB on the list has been mentioned on other sites before. I don’t know anything about him, but generally I look favorably to SEC defensive players that are available after day 1. I’ve heard he’s fast which is nice. Its a name to be aware of, if we use our higher picks to build up front

We have so many picks, and you can never have enough DBs. we are bound to bring in 1-2 via the draft, even if its day 3 before we select one

I don’t care when the players drop out of the games, i think the practices are the most important part, and after that the interviews done while there. The game itself is a paddy cakes party.

No wonder Jordan Love can spin it. That’s enormous hands.

Imo its concerning to me when a QB, RB or WR’s hands are smaller than 9.5. For OL its more about wingspan/arm length. Those are physical limitations that are able to be over come but they put a player at a disadvantage.

steveccnv says:
    January 21, 2020 at 9:57 am

————————————–
    I thought about it, but i think in my case not really. I know my stress level and anxiety watching games, etc was a lot lower because of the lessened expectations.

Still i was watching objectively to look for certain signs of progress, first being just to look like a real team. There was no cohesion on the past few years, if not more than a decade. This year we started seeing cohesion. This year we saw progress from game 1 through game 16 incrementally and easy to visually tell. We saw players rise to the occasion and not shrink from expectations. I came to the conclusion, suffice to say, that i didnt invent the teams improvement, it was indeed there.

I think Igbinoghene has a lot to work with but im not sure i think if you are looking fr a guy to start opposite of X day one, he is going to be that guy. He has some intangibles that are not common, he is like a lot of great CB’s where they at some point were also WR’s giving them some of the intricate knowledge of that position to help them defending those players, but i see him as a 2-3 year project kind of player. Maybe some rotational stuff, at slot CB or in formations where we have 4 CB’s, 2nd year maybe challenging for a starting spot if development goes well, if its going but slow, year 3.

52. dloxahatchee says:

Food for thought

Gailey enters the picture:

Gesicki = 3 systems in his 3 years
    Rosen = 4 systems in 3 years
    D Parker = ? I’ve lost track lol

I don’t take CO changes lightly but believe this has been in the works for awhile, you don’t fire and hire in a matter of hours by fluke

QB has the harest times with it because they have to do a LOT more than the other posiion players. For Parker and Gesicki, i dont see it being an issue, Rosen also should benefit from it since its more closely related to what he did in college. It will take a little more football smarts than other systems, btu he has always stuck me as a smart QB, just need to speed his game up for the NFL.

Don’t want to make a prediction stream out of it, but how much do you guys figure FA Tanny gets in the off season? I’ll go on record and say don’t think he gets $20 mil per year. Maybe $15.

Ill say 20, just because your top QB’s are getting 30 these days so i wouldnt find it crazy he winds up with 20, probably 2-3 year contract half of it guaranteed.

I like this one!
    Get me an LT in FA!
    Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 5: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama (A)
    Round 1 Pick 18: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama (B)
    Round 1 Pick 26: Grant Delpit, FS/SS, LSU (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 5: KLavon Chaisson, DE/OLB, LSU (B-)
    Round 2 Pick 24: JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio State (A)
    Round 3 Pick 5: Darryl Williams, C/OG, Mississippi State (A)
    Round 5 Pick 17: Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State (A)
    Round 6 Pick 5: Rodney Smith, RB, Minnesota (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 17: Bradlee Anae, DE/OLB, Utah (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 31: Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma (A)

Some wacky shit happened to me last night. I have a cold or a flu, not sure which and I was freezing, even with sweatpants on a warm under armour shirt on. I went to bed at about 10:30PM shivering, took some Nyquil, and then about 11:30PM I woke up and had to pee, I had a big cup of tea before I went to sleep. I come out of the bathroom almost in dreamlike state, I walk towards my bed and then fall just short of my bed, smacking my head against the floor and getting a nice a carpet burn. Then I tried to get up on the bed but I was all sideways and bothered my wife and she was like WTF are you doing?!?!? I was totally fucked up, got a nice bruise and scrape and my finger and ribs hurt. I went face first, it was dark and I thought I made it to the bed.

Lewis i was thinking as a 5th rounder for us, he might go a little higher, but since we dont have a 4th we have to hope he makes it to the 5th. Cushenberry i really like, i dont think he makes it to the 5th though so maybe our third to select him? I like Daryl Williams from MSU too though. There are a lot of good OL prospects this year. I dont know that a ton f them are studs right off type guys but there is a lot of talent there this year.

Mikey i have had similar experiences on a couple of benadryl, also on hydroxyzine which is about the same stuff. I gave up one night trying to get back up and just finished the night on the floor.

That was dangerous man, I keep my shelf open on my nightstand and just missed that fucker. I bled a little, if I hit that shelf there would have been lots of blood because of the sharp edges.

I really dont look past the third on those mocks, but your rounds 1-3 were really good Wyoming.

I was going back over some of the OL in the draft this year and i dont see but one true top 10 guy and thats Thomas, but overall i can see about 40 guys who have starting ability, safe to call them at least 2nd year starters, with day 1-2 grades. Some of those guys are going to get forced down into the 4th, maybe 5th.

I think the only conflict ill have when we make our first first round pick will be if Thomas is on the board and we select otherwise. I think thats the closest i will comes to being judgemental about who they pick. Too many right answers for us there to worry about this guy and not the other. Thomas is the one player i really covet though, so bypassing him as a selection would kind make me second guess that decision. I kinda hope he will just get selected before us so i dont have to worry about that chance lol.

I must admit Mikey, that story does sound like a botched drunken sex attempt lol. Stumble to bed drunk, fall and injure yourself climbing into bed because all ya got on your mind is a little slap and tickle.

Mike E — that’s some screwed up stuff. Being caught wrong place in the bedroom and unaware
    after waking up is bad shiot.

No health reason involved, but last year we are in a hotel room. No big deal but btwn when I went to sleep and woke up there was a black out….. talking no light at all. Even worse is muddled mind me who has to take a raging piss thinks we are in the last hotel room. I’m looking for the bathroom 180 from where it is.

Cried for help like the “I can’t get up” commercial and wife saved me with the light on her cell. Would have gone on the carpet otherwise.

Damn, that’s scary stuff pal. I was really shaken up last night, thought maybe I was having another stroke, we were both pretty nervous about that.

Oh shit i didn’t even think about that, i forgot you had that stroke. I bet that did scare ya.

Yours is the scary stuff…… just sharing a time where I felt the same. Sounds like maybe btwn the sick and the meds you had a minor pass out.

That’s crazy stuff Mike. Glad you didn’t get seriously hurt.

Thanks, me too

God Jameis Winston had 30 ints and 12 fumbles this past year. He did pass for 5100 yards, but fuck that’s a lot of turnovers. He also took 47 sacks. Also his W/L record is 28-42, and they are talking about going into next season with him as their QB. 5 years and those inconsistent number, they need to be moving on.

Some of those antihistamine meds and sinus meds are crazy strong. That one night i could not get my legs to work and like i said i eventually just passed back out on the floor. I can promise you if they had done ond of those area of activity CT scans on me there would have been HUGE black areas where my brain was shut down, which that technically very much is like a stroke, like you were thinking it was.

Mike E; Truly sorry to read about your crashing to the floor episode. One piece of advice would be to place a small night light near your bed. This will help you navigate those early morning trips to the w.c.

Another suggestion would be to replace two beers (which I USED TO do from time to time) with ONE glass of red wine. Believe me when I tell you the wine is easier on your bladder as you age.

One guy I knew fairly well when I lived in West Palm Beach told me if he had a tad too much to drink, he’d leave an old Dolphins helmet on his night stand and would put it on when he got up around 1:00 AM for the inevitable trip to the bathroom. But one night, as he was returning from the bathroom to his bed, he accidentally hit the bed, waking up his startled wife. She rolled over and looked him straight in the eye and said “Please tell me you weren’t out playing football at one in the morning!!!”

Well hell, Mike E. Since everyone else is giving medical advice I will too. Go see your fucking doctor. Better safe than sorry.

67. naplesfan2010 says:

Be well Mike.
    Maybe try to not mix any 2 things. Even Standing up too fast can take you down. Nyquil is strong shit. Messes with depth perception.

TOTALLY SICKENED by the major melee at the end of the Kansas-Kansas State basketball game.
    Picture of Kansas player holding a folding chair will be in my mind for many years. Back in the ’70’s there was an even worse incident at a Minnesota-Ohio State basketball game. Many were injured. The two schools stopped playing each other in basketball for a few years, as I recollect.

ESPN commentator Seth Greenberg was right when he said “there will be major repercussions from this sick event.” I expect some scholorships to be terminated immediately plus some felony charges filed against the perpetrators. Bill Self, HC of Kansas, was absolutely sick in the post-game news conference. Well he should be. A player on hid team was responsible for this event. And the University of Kansas will be severely punished for what happened. Kansas State, also, will pay a severe penalty for their involvement.

It’s just sick, sick, sick!

69. ElephantRider says:

I triple dose nyquil…

70. bailbondmike says:

D, I agree about our first pick. Other than Burrow and OT Thomas, I would prefer that pick to be on defense like Simmons, Okudah or Brown. Though, I don’t think Brown is that dominant of a force to be taken at 5. Some games you see it some you don’t.

tween those 3 I think I take Simmons

I take Brown out of those three, Simmons would probably be my second choice, but it would be splitting hairs between Okudah and Simmons for second.

Partially because i would like to dominate up front and Wilkins, Godchaux, and Brown would be a crazy combo. Add in Jenkins from time to time and as rotation, and pump up the pass rush, and we will have a very nice DL.

I dunno man, some games you don’t just see it you practically feel it. When he is on, i dont know if he isnt the best defensive player in this draft. Yeah you see Chase Young’s dominance because of the sacks and pressures but Brown disrupts the whole offense, run game, passing game. He pushed around the OL of Alabama like they were kids. I dont think he is the motivational issue Phillips was, but he also is way more talented. To me thats saying a lot because Phillips was really freaking talented, we just couldnt get him to get his head on straight, possibly a coaching issue too considering who he played for. I think 5 is a perfect spot to consider him, because i have him as about the 6th best player in the draft and he fits a position of need imo.

I think Simmons and Okudah are the same way. You see games they arent really impressive at all but you see others and they completely dominate so i think it kinda runs in the territory of some of these just outside the top tier guys. Undeniable talent, they just need to stay motivated and work on staying consistent.

• bailbondmike says:

I agree, I can’t remember the game. It was a big game and Brown was on fire. Unstopable/very disruptive in the middle.

“Wilkins, Godchaux, and Brown would be a crazy combo”

Hell yeah!

71. bailbondmike says:

Senior Bowl Day 1 Practice North Team Offense (My biggest ?? about Anthony Gordon was his footwork, guess it was pirty fugly on day 1):

I wouldn’t shed a tear of Brown was the pick. But the difference maker in that group is Simmons IMO

Generally speaking, I think you get more out of some one like Brown based on the position he play, so I get it. but I just think Simmons is a difference maker

So what im hearing about some of the guys i asked for a buddy to keep an eye on, was Jordan Love wasn’t overly impressive. Big arm but not very polished. If we select him, he is for sure sounding like someone thats going to need lots of coaching. Still sometimes you take that risk because the intangibles are there to work with, but Love wouldn’t be someone we could get excited to see day 1 i don’t think, maybe not even year 2’s day 1. Hurts also wasnt very good. Herbert looked solid and was the better of all the QB prospects.

Kinlaw was a really dominante player in the practices, but i kind of expected that because he’s a legit first round DT prospect. Id be happy getting him with one of our later firsts if we didnt take someone like Brown early.

A couple of the OL guys i was kinda excited to have at Senior bowl apparently didnt look that great, Cushenberry in particular. One OL i only recently started looking at Sternberg apparently looked really good, and i also added a DT to my watch list, Davidson from Auburn, who apparently looked pretty good as well.

Keshawn Vaughn is my mid round RB prospect for us, i think i have mentioned him a few times here, and he had a good practice as well. He is kind of a down hill 1 cut back, a lot like Ajayi, just without the injury concerns.

BTW Piggy, im not sure i have Simmions significantly higher than Delpit or McKinney, safety market is top heavy this year so thats another reason i think picking Brown over Simmons would make more sense. We can grab and equivalent S prospect lower, and outside of Kinlaw i dont see anyone else close to Brown’s ability.

You Northerners don’t know how tough it is to live in South Florida. We’re down to the low 50’s right now…… during the day!

Floridians have been told about the dangers of falling iguanas. Apparently gets cold enough and they just fall from their perches in the trees. And some can hit five-foot.

DL Derrick Brown seems to be the type of player Grier and Flores would target. Build those trenches.

Tim i would say both Kinlaw and Derrick Brown are guys that fit that mold, but Brown is scary dominant most game. He reminds me of how dominant Suh was in college.

Stanger,

I was at Disney World a couple of weeks ago and Orlando was close to having record temperatures in the mid 80’s with high dew points for the latter part of the week. I would have much preferred the 50’s. Of course would have rather had the normal, which is supposed to be 71/49, which we only had for a couple of days.
    Will probably always go to DW from now on in January though, sun is not as hot, and the nights are nice even if it is muggy during the day.

You crack me up bookman….. you wanted colder. You lived through your Fests. 🙂

And if you want FLA as cool as can be Jan and Feb are the way to go.

On my way home from Key West. 50 degrees this morning, 20+ MPH wind. Would rather be in Montana when it’s in the 20’s than Key West in the 50’s.

Don’t know if anyone posted this yesterday as I was travelling

RIP Terry Jones

85. rich0322 says:

Auburn was the only team that gave LSU’s offense fits this year. The ONLY team and Derrick Brown was the main reason why. IMO, he is the 3rd best player in this draft.

Ill need you to retract that! UF gave them problems too.

Outside of the Alabama game which was two juggernaughts throwing haymakers, the LSU UF game was the closest LSU had to real competition. One 4th down conversion on the goal line and it might have been the only loss they had

• rich0322 says:

My comment was strictly who gave LSU’s offense problems. I watched every LSU game this year except for Utah St and I stand by my comment. Auburn was the toughest defense they faced and the one defense that gave them fits. They were the only team to hold LSU under 36 points, and they hit Burrows early and often. They pushed the pocket back more of than any other defense LSU faced.

You add a DL guy like Derrick Brown to Wilkins and Godchaux, maybe Jenkins is back and/or a guy like Sieler, and you have 5 big bodies inside to rotate and for depth. Add some upgrades on the edge and your entire defense is better.

• rich0322 says:

I agree 100%.

You can pick the beer you owe me 🙂

Maybe I missed your post.

D says:
        January 22, 2020 at 10:53 am

D says:
        January 22, 2020 at 10:49 am

D, yeah I missed your earlier post. Wow we’re totally on the same page. Do you like Sam Adams Cold Snap?

Im so ready to see us with a D thats crushing the pocket right up the middle. I like DE speed rushers who come around the outside, its impressive to see guys that big move like cats, but i can still remember the absolute havoc that Reggie White use to do to an offense and have always been as much or more impressed with that than the DE’s.

I totally agree but Reggie White was mostly a 4-3 LDE. He did move around some, but he was mainly a DE. He threw RTs around like rag dolls. The dominant thing about him was not only did he set the edge, cover that gap responsibility, but also collapsed the pocket to the inside. He was a monster. LT said he thinks Reggie White was the best defensive player he ever saw.

Look at the size of Kinlaw

Or you can add a Simmons and 5 and Kinlaw at 18 and really crush it up front…..weeeeeeeeeeee

Simmons is a good space player but he is not a force on the edge at least not now.

He’s not a great pass rusher like chase Young is – but he had the talent to do it all

And I think he’s going to play on the outside and be like. Myles Jack type

• rich0322 says:

Kinlaw won’t make it to #18. If we pass on DL at #5, we will pass on both Brown and Kinlaw, unless we trade up from #18 to get Kinlaw.

Here you go

Wilkins – Godchaux – Kinlaw

93. rich0322 says:

D says:
    January 22, 2020 at 5:36 pm

rich0322 says:
    January 22, 2020 at 6:09 pm
    My comment was strictly who gave LSU’s offense problems. I watched every LSU game this year except for Utah St and I stand by my comment. Auburn was the toughest defense they faced and the one defense that gave their offense fits. They were the only team to hold LSU under 36 points, and they hit Burrows early and often. They pushed the pocket back more of than any other defense LSU faced.

Piggy, I think Simmons is an excellent prospect. Don’t just focus on the draft though. FA will happen first and that’s when you can start to see what we added and what we still need. You don’t want your entire team to be all rookies.

I can see us targeting Edge Yannick Ngakoue from Jacksonville. Yes he’ll be expensive but you can’t bargain shop for every position and accomplished pass rushers are not a dime a dozen. He’ll be 25 in March and already has a proven body of work. He fits what we do on defense. He also wouldn’t have to leave the state.

Another free agent to keep your eye on – Bud Dupree

Yep! I have no doubt the trenches on both sides of the ball and edge rushers will be a priority in both FA and the draft. We all know QB will always be in play but who… I have no idea. LOL

Stranger
    Lol, I prefer the cold to the heat. The temps at the 2 Fests I attended were miserable, but everything else made up for it.

I lived in Orlando for 12 years and hated the Summer, liked the Winter.

Rich, i mostly was being tongue and cheek with that comment. I’m a UF homer, its expected that i say that. I do think though UF really challenged them, but i was not attacking your statement if thats how it came off, i was just throwing up some fan loyalty.

Bud Dupree is one of two FA’s im really interested in, the other being either-or out of Peat/Thuney.

I thought you could get Kinlaw at about 18, but he is making waves, and rising up in the draft talks, so it probably would mean having to move up a little grabbing him outside of our 5th pick. Brown is significantly better and more versatile, so if im taking a DT at 5 its Brown.

Im really not seeing the absolute beast player in Simmons that you seem to Piggy. He is good, he is worth a top 15 selection, but i just dont see him being a better option at 5 than Brown and i dont really think all that close. Brown would be a top 5 in a draft that didnt have QB desperate teams. I think if Cincy wasnt just done with Dalton, or if Finley hadn’t completely shit the bed, that we wouldn’t at least be entertaining that they might select Young or Brown at 1. Hell, i dont put us out of selecting Brown at 5, even with Tua on the board with a clean bill of health.

NEW BLOG UP!!

107. rich0322 says:

We are good D. I didn’t take any offense, just being a Derrick Brown homer. Lol.