RB’s – Current depth chart and needs

Ryan Fitzpatrick – 6’2 228

Kalen Ballage – 6’2 231

Myles Gaskin – 5’10 200

Patrick Laird – 6’0 205

De’Lance Turner – 5’11 214

Samaje Perine – 5’11 240

That’s a big stable of running backs in more ways than one, and of course I’m joking about the guy 2nd on the depth chart. Leaving out said QB, these are mostly bigger backs with the exceptions of Gaskin and Laird, all above 220 lbs. The reality is some of the guys on this depth chart won’t be here once the season begins if they even get that far. I think Gaskin and Laird could be keepers and Ballage may get another shot after a very disappointing season where he had ample opportunity to make some hay, starting in 6 games but just couldn’t get anything positive going, either rushing or receiving. I had hoped we had David Johnson lite, but even on the receiving side Ballage was a major letdown.

Jordan Howard signed a 2 year deal and he’s the type of back that wears down a defense. He will be valuable to close out a game in the 4th QTR by keeping drives going and punishing defenses, aptly named “The Bulldozer”. I have to believe that we will be active in the draft to find another quality back and there are a few that should be available beginning with our third first round pick (#26). D’andre Swift, Jonathan Taylor, J.K. Dobbins, and Clyde Edwards-Helaire round out the top 5. I will be surprised if none of these guys end up in a Dolphins uniform.

So free agency began in earnest for the Miami Dolphins and our name consistently flashed on the screen from the start. We made a lot of noise, gave out a few big contracts, but in general filled out a lot of holes and most definitely upped the talent level here and acquired some heady players as well. Kyle Van Noy in particular is a guy who has tortured us twice a year in a Patriots uniform serves to make us better and weaken the Patriots in one swift cut. On a down note, the Patriots will recoup yet another valuable compensatory pick, but if Van Noy can bring that production and locker room presence to some younger guys it will be worth it in spades.

I know you all know who we’ve acquired, probably better than I do, but I like to see it in print, it makes me feel happy. Here are all of our recent acquisitions and the contracts.

CB Byron Jones – 5YR/$82.5M

LB Kyle Van Noy – 4YR/$51M

DE/LB Shaq Lawson – 3YR/$30M

OG Ereck Flowers – 3YR/$30M

DE Emmanuel Ogbah – 2YR/$15M

RB Jordan Howard – 2YR/$10M

S Clayton Fejedelem – 3YR/$8.55M

C Ted Karras – 1YR/$4M

LB Kamu Grugier-Hill – 1YR/$3M

S Adrian Colbert – 1YR/$1.775M

We also signed former Patriots LB Elandon Roberts but the terms of the contract are not yet final. Fejedelem, Clobert and Roberts are all special teams guys and the new guys (Fejedelem and Roberts) lay the wood. All in all, I think we have shored up certain areas but there are still a few glaring holes such as OT, QB, RB, C (for competition this season and beyond). Another good DT/DE could also elevate our defense and safety is still an issue despite the Fejedelem and Colbert signings. The good thing is our approach in free agency has afforded us some flexibility going into the draft where we have excellent draft capital to make the most of our picks. I’m really looking forward to it.

Author’s Note: I hope all of you stay safe and healthy in these trying times with the outbreak of COVID-19. Be careful, help people when you can, and be a good neighbor and human being. Keep your family healthy and safe the best you can. Thankfully, participation here is safe (from COVID-19 anyway) so keep on bloggin!

GO DOLPHINS!!

#staythecourse

706 Responses to RB’s – Current depth chart and needs

Why is Wake a no doubt Hall of Famer but Zach Thomas can’t get in? Asking for a friend.

• naplesfan2010 says:

No I agree. I was surprised at that statement. I do not think Wake is an automatic,. I would not be surprised if he has the same type of trouble that Zach has.

• TryPod says:

I asked a similar question on the previous page, only to get swallowed up but the turn..

And why should they

They might need to cancel the events around it. But they can have teams on the time submitting their picks remotely if necessary

Could work just like the draft for the Toba League except with Mel Kiper commenting on the selections.

Cam Newton Naples
    What a great name and congratulations Naples on your grandson’s arrival. I hope you get to see him soon.
    (page turn victim)

• naplesfan2010 says:

Thanks, Son.
      LOL
      I am going to call him Cam Wake Naples instead though.

He’s been given his dad’s middle name as his middle name for real though, which is a bit odd, but I obviously liked that name, so it’s ok with me.

3. naplesfan2010 says:

I think the country can’t live like this for very long.
    These restrictions ae intended to flatten the curve as they say so that sll the people who get infected won’t get it in the same two weeks and overwhelm the hospitals, causing more people to die than would have.

I think at a certain point though, after the “surge” is over, things will return to a form of normal Restrictions on certain places will be tight, such as nursing homes, while places like beaches will be allowed to reopen. China is already easing its restrictions.

Healthy people will be allowed certain freedoms to move about. We’ll just have to take our chances of getting sick. But we’ll be allowed to go to games and concerts if we dare.

The players will be frequently screened and placed on IR if they test positive. They already test for PEDs, etc. so they can just add the covid test in there, weekly if need be.

The big questions are about things like schools. Virtual school might truly become the norm.

You can have Baseball, Hockey and Basketball but you can’t have football. Shit will get real then, social distancing will turn into social discord.
    Losing the Masters is tougher to handle than the 3 leagues combined. Losing Football will not be tolerated.

• naplesfan2010 says:

I agree.
      If this had happened during football season, I would understand. But there is enough time for the epidemic to subside and adjustments to be made before NFL season.

I can’t actually see them canceling the whole NBA, NHL, or MLB seasons.

People take chances every time they drive. Is covid worse than road rage?

These things we are doing are just meant to get is through a couple of months so we can go back to normal by May

If it doesn’t work we are fucked
    But if it works, it will be worth it

6. naplesfan2010 says:

Good point Orlando Man.
    Theme parks are another venue which might be permantly changed.

I somehow feel though that outdoor events and venues are safer than indoor ones.
    Maybe that is not scientific. Does anyone know yet about that?

Airplane travel has made people sick for years for example.
    I’ve never heard of anyone catching the flu from the guy next to him in the gallery at the masters.

7. naplesfan2010 says:

well i can’t type this morning, so I leave you all with my Best Wishes.
    I’m out to take a 5-mile walk without coming within 6 feet of anyone.

Fun city.

Get Burrow and get rid of Covid 19

Sonny! Happy to see you man!

Cam Wake is by no means a shoe in to the HOF. I loved him as a player, but Zach Thomas makes a much more compelling case to be in the HOF

ER – Some replies for you back on the last page. Hoping for the best for you guys.

My Coronavirus stay at home workout:
    3 sets of 10 with dumbbells:
    Curls
    Overhead press
    Standing rows
    Seated flies
    With kettlebell:
    Squats
    Lunges both sides
    Crunches and planks as tolerated
    30 minutes on treadmill

Takes about an hour and helps pass the day

Don’t even know why you bother. All you have to do is think about Little Nicky Satin and you are the most cut guy in the world.

Front loading is a sign of saving for the future. Also that they are about or are done with major moves

Makes it easy to cut him if you don’t like what you see this year

Yep — get that guaranteed money out of the way and then have to be worth your listed salary.

More fake news it doesn’t take an additional 18-20M to sign our rookies

Front loading just removes the flexibility to use additional cap space in the current year, but there’s no difference in counting 10M this year against the cap or 5M this year and designating 5M you don’t spend this year to next year.

Loved Cam Wake as a player but I don’t think he’s a HOFer.

No interruption whatsoever for me. My wife the teacher, as you know, is off but no interruption in pay so that’s good. My youngest daughter has been totally screwed by all this. She was supposed to graduate from her sonograghy program next month has had school and all of her clinicals (internship) stopped and just the other night got layed off from Sonny’s where she has worked for the last 7 1/2 years. At least she’s been living at home and not faced with rent and her car is paid off.

Answer to Mike from up above

That’s unfortunate for your daughter. I would hope she will be able to resume school once this is cleared up, right?

Yes, she’ll graduate but I’m sure this will slow down the hiring process as well. She was in great shape to transition right into nice position and this has screwed it up for the time being.

Sonny – I hear ya man, well best of luck to her. Maybe due to all this chaos it won’t really deter her at all.

Ya My son will graduate this year but all classes are online now, and the actual graduation ceremony is cancelled!
    Which is OK with me! 😉
    but his chances of getting hired on are slim and none until this “Stuff” passes

My son as well Wyo. All graduation ceremonies are cancelled, my son couldn’t give a crap anyway. He did mention something like I hope I don’t feel like I missed out on something later on in life, but I doubt that he will. New hires are going to have a tough time everywhere until companies get settled back in start doing well

I don’t care about all the hoopla at the NFL Draft. As long as I know who we selected I always go and research them anyway. Social media will spread the news just like FA.

Patriots signed QB Brian Hoyer

20. ElephantRider says:

Thanks all.

So take out rules are:

Must be phone orders. Must be credit card over the phone. 6′ distance between everyone with less than 10 people total in building. Buffalo Wild Wings was caught not following these rules and were fined and shut down for the day. It’s too hard to police so we are delivery only at this point. Plus, what sense does it make to shut everything down, but allow everyone to come in and gather waiting and touching everything?

Our other location is 30 minutes away. So it hits other delivery zones.

We are able to have a few of our staff work and we are to only allowing the same ones to keep working since we all know we go straight home everyday. We don’t want different workers in and out everyday.

We are going to empty the bank paying our people what we can. 1 landlord doesn’t give a shit and wants his rent on time. He has been given the middle finger. The other one has came to us and pushed everything back for us. He is an actual human. Lol

Our state has grants for small businesses. Unfortunately we do not qualify because we have over 20 employees. Even if 6 of them are HS kids that work twice a month….makes no sense.

My take is why are we slowly bleeding everyone out? Just shut everything down for 2-3 weeks and get it over with. Otherwise it’s just a slow death for most small businesses.

• New Age says:

The crazy thing is that people can shop however they want at the grocery stores where there is waiting in lines for TP, or just to get in, and lots of people that can get closer than 6′. They don’t really know what they are doing and it’s pretty obvious.

90% of the people here are so FN clueless, they bunch up and are oblivious to the 6′ rule.

Just keep putting the food out ER, best you can do. Not sure if matches up with your place but noticed on the delivery service but we are getting from Denny’s tonight and for sure is a less than full menu. Might help economize if you will.

• bookman11 says:

Hang in there ER. Sorry for the situation you are in.

ER – 20 employees doesn’t qualify as a small business? How many are allowed? 10? That’s kind of ridiculous

Sorry to say but forces at work have been trying to destroy small business for many years.

Looking at the dearth of sports news, I was reading up on some RBs. Some of these guyshad the best names so I looked up some fun ones the last few years.https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/alabama-college-football-start-ranking-50-best-player-names-jabrill-peppers-jim-harbaugh-081716

Master Teague
    Steele Chambers
    Tre Threat
    Vegas Harley
    Money Hunter
    Dee Liner- DL
    Gimel President

ER Your landlord cant do shit about the rent. All the courts should be closed anyway and if he did bring you to court he would lose as the court system knows what people are going through

I had a home up for rent and i took it down because if i rented it the renters could move in and simply refuse to pay rent and theres nothing i could do about it

You could just kill them if they done pay. With all the social distancing it would be a helluva long time before anyone knew

The golf course is closed until further notice so im going nutz around here.
    The neighbor yelled at me for hitting a golf ball accidently in their yard

They declared martial law in Louisiana like today I think.

I can only imagine what it is like having ORob as a neighbor

Damn ER, sorry to hear about your situation. The restaurant business is about the toughest business to succeed in to begin with. And 20 employees max to qualify as a small biz sucks.

ER

I represent landlord for a living, or used to anyway

I can tell you most of them will work with commercial tenants to pay back rent owed during a crisis

Let’s just hope this this is over by May
    I’ll be screwed if it’s not

• ocalarob says:

I have evicted quite a few people Florida landlord laws are tricky you got to be careful

• ocalarob says:

If ER landlord were to take him to court, the judge would definitely consider the disaster that cost him to not pay the rent, I think the landlord will be out court cost and not get his previous rent due, or maybe a prorated portion

I’m sorry for everyone affected by this unprecedented situation in our life time. Wish you all the best!

Just do you what you can to make it to May
    Cut costs, take on work you wouldn’t before
    Then hopefully we are on the road to recovery

ER , also very sorry for the hardships being put on ya.. you and the missus have a really nice place , and ya seem to love what ya do …
    as Tim said , best wishes and thoughts to all being financially affected by this … hoping for a quick recovery.

34. bailbondmike says:

Another RB I like in the mid rounds who would compliment Jordan Howard and was 11th fastest at the combine (2nd fastest RB) is Darrynton Evans from App State. Dude has good moves and acceleration, good receiving back and also experienced returner.

35. bailbondmike says:

Son, I am not being a Memphis homer on this one. My favorite compliment to Jordan Howard may not be Edwards-Hellaire. I am leaning toward Antonio Gibson. He is a complete weapon! He is big and fast, 6’2″ 221 pounds, 4.39 speed, runs with power and has the moves of a smaller back. You can line him up anywhere; RB, WR, HB, TE and Memphis even used him at FB. He is the best receiving back in the draft and a huge mismatch for any defense. Oh, and he’s a ST ace as a returner and on the kicking team.

Not saying there aren’t other backs outside of some of the top guys but I want a football player over size and speed.

37. bailbondmike says:

They have Miami listed as a possible taker on 4 of the 5 players listed. Of all of them that could sneak into 1st round, I would prefer Ruiz at #26.

38. ElephantRider says:

Thanks everyone. We will keep working til we can’t!

I have a ton of questions about all this. You all dont want to hear it. Lol

I don’t know why he’s slid down the boards?
    But he had a good season and great Senior Bowl!

bailbondmike says:
    March 22, 2020 at 3:01 am

D, also, what do you think of Miss State bringing the air raid offense to the SEC? I think it will really benefit Kylin Hill and vault him into top 5 RB talk next year.
    —————————————————————-
    I like it, i think it will help their offense but its a complete swap over from what they had under Mullen so i think thats a change thats going to take alittle while. Hill is a back that can produce in many systems, i think he will be a top back.

BTW Vaughn attacks defenders, much like Ricky did, love to see RB that do that but these days with everyone trying to protect their careers, you just dont see as much of it.You may be right though that Howard means we dont need Vayghn, but id still have him as a target if i felt i was getting a good deal drafting him. He is going to be a bursier and fun to watch.

son of a son of a shula says:
    March 22, 2020 at 11:19 am

————————————————————————
    Because the impact of a elite passrusher is more evident than that of a elite LB. No doubt Zach deserves in, but Wake will have a better shot at it, imo. I dont think he is a no doubt HoF’er, BUT i do thinhk the position is more obvious and sticks in people memories harder.

BBM, Gibson is a good back, i think he represents why, when backs get expensive you just draft new ones. Lots of backs are qualified for at least some systems in the NFL, you might not get the complete package in every back but the offenses in the NFL dont really need one back to do it all. That said, if i can get a back and have the luxury of not needing many other picks, or if in the case that we are this year, I definitely would look for a complete back. Its better for play design, not tipping off a defense, etc. I could see him as a compliment back though, to go with Howard.

Still id almost rather have Duvernay and use him as a flexible back/receiver out of the backfield and a WR other times than spend a pick on a change of pace back. I think he would be a more effective multiple type player.

Im not devaluing the the OC position, there have been a few OC’s i thought were worthy of a 1st round pick, though its rarer than the OT position, but i just do not see any of the OC’s this year as stand out OC’s. A few really solid starting caliber player, but i dont see first round guys. Biadiaz nor Ruiz seem much better than mid second to me. I think we could get one of the two of them with our second second, and if not there is Cushenberry, Hennessey, Hanson and Williams. They are all about the same caliber player and there will be one of them at out 2nd 2nd or even out 3rd.No need to reach.

So what you’re saying is Karras will be our Center?

• dbolt48 says:

I’d say Karras affords the team a chance to draft Biadasz in the 3rd and shelve him for the year and let him properly recover from his surgeries. When he was completely healthy he was a borderline late first early second round player. Due to injury he is probably going anywhere from late second to the comp picks in the 3rd round. I think Hennessy or Cushenberry are players you could see late 1 or early 2.

Im seeing 2nd’s on all of these guys, some even falling to the 3rd due to depth. I do think Karras is our OC for at least this year and if he continues to rise, he may remain a starter. My think would be to draft a guy capable of also playing OG so that if everything pans out with Karras we have potentially another starting OG prospect as well as a next man up scenario at OC.

I think any of the three centers could be strong competition for Karras. Ruiz, Biadazs or Cushenberry. Keep in mind, Karras was a 6th RD pick. Ruiz is my favorite, but I don’t discount these guys because they’re not 1st RD picks. It wasn’t too long ago that teams never took centers in RD 1

Not discounting them, but I do think it would be unlikely for them to come in and hit the ground like Fredrick or Ryan Kelley or Pouncey twins, when they first came into the league. Those guys were elite, these guys arent that. They need some cook time, thought hey all have potential to be that guy, i dont see any of them doing it right off.

I agree that’s it’s awful hard for an OL to start, early, his rookie year and be productive.

Mike you cant discount his 5 years NFL experience either.

I agree with that and I’m not. I think these guys are better players than Karras coming out, so they could give him some competition this year to start. Of course he’s more prepared right now, but as the year goes on and they get some playing time, I think it will happen sooner than later.

• dbolt48 says:

Mike,
        They will give him competition no doubt. Out of all the prospects the one who might have the best chance actually unseating year 1 IMO would be Hennessy. I think he has the highest IQ which would allow him to step in and make calls etc. In the end though I do think Karras starts for the year.

steveccnv says:
    March 23, 2020 at 10:20 am

————————————————-
    Out of all positions, OL, CB/S and LB i think are most affected by the speed of the game and the overall jump from dealing with elite college to elite NFL players.

OL in college most the time arent going against elite pass rushers every game. SEC usually has stout DL so some of them are, but when it goes from maybe a second to set yourself and anchor, or mirror that DE, to split seconds of time, its an adjustment. Speed of the NFL and strength of the NFL average player is an adjustment and IMO it affects OL about as hard as any group.

Good post, it’s not something I’ve considered before. When I watch OL I look at footwork, strength, quickness, and football IQ (football IQ for every position).

Well it enters into that equation, thats why the ones with elite footwork (OT), Strength (OG) and Football IQ (OC) are such a big deal. OT’s are pure reaction time, technique and footwork. OG’s more a combination of strength and technique and OC, Football IQ and quickness. So you are right, those are the things to look for, its just that at the end of the day, what was good enough to be better than another player in college, is still going to not be an advantage in the NFL until the game slows down some and you can adapt your skills to how fast ya gotta get to it.

————————————

Anyone see this? My brain is totally rejecting it, i am trying to figure out how they think this could work and my brain just rejects it like bad data.

• pheloniusphish says:

Magic money. You just create it out of thin air. Doesn’t add to the debt because it doesn’t exist. Bitcoins. Apparently, she is among the 84% of millennials who are financially illiterate.

This is much better than offering bailouts through business

They have to get money in the economy to make sure people are spending it

This is exactly what our gov should do
        Give every American $ and five small business grants

Instead they are going to force small business to take loans
        Then they will bailout banks and big business
        And the loans people pay back will have to be paid bank to the banks that received free money

Which is insane

Our tax dollars should be spent giving us money. Ack instead of hoping it will trickle down

They are going to do a economic stimulus one way or another

They have to to avoid a depression

So the question is – who do you give the money too

Personally i think they should give grants to small businesses and income to individuals

That way people keep spending money

If you give the consumer $ to spend, they are going to spend it

I don’t want Washington picking which industries they want to survive, I want the consumer and the free market to Do that

What a total farce. How exactly are they going to send money to the homeless, that don’t have an address, and illegals, that they don’t know exist?

Like we don’t have enough corruption as it is. This would open the door for huge fraud and high inflation. What are the elderly supposed to do a year from now, when their fixed income is worth half what it is today?

They can easily set up distributions centers and require social security numbers to receive it

The elderly’a income only goes up with this type of stimulus plan – they get the money too

Otherwise the fixed income of the elderly (bc they mostly survive off savings, pensions and social security) isn’t effected unless they have their money held in the stick market (some pensions do)

But giving the elderly $1000 dollars a month during this crisis is a lot more effective that going their stocks increase in value (especially given where the stock market is)

What about inflation? This would skyrocket inflation.

It’s not going to skyrocket inflation bc it won’t increase demand for goods

The only reason it’s necessary is to keep people spending during this crisis

If people stop spending money bc they lose their jobs, their businesses have less money to spend, or bc they don’t leave the house – that will kill the economy

So it’s supplementing that during the crisis.

In an ordinary economy it would cause inflation to go up

But now during this crisis after the panic toilet paper and hand sanitizer spending ends, people will inevitably spend less bc they fear for their futures

And giving people money to spend prevents that from happening

The fear is that people stop spending
        So giving people money prevents that

Lol

If that were the case with inflation, we should just print 23 trillion and pay off the debt.

Inflation goes up with the demand for goods Steve

Printing money doesn’t achieve that result on your response doesn’t make sense to me

The expectation of this crisis goes on for a few more weeks is that people spend less money bc people lose their jobs or lose income

So by paying the consumer money directly you offset that

You aren’t artificially increasing spending to boost the economy, you are trying to prevent the economy from tanking by making sure we still have consumers

Hyperinflation starts when a country’s government begins printing money to pay for its spending. As it increases the money supply, prices rise as in regular inflation. An increase in the money supply is one of the two causes of inflation. The other is demand-pull inflation.

We aren’t printing money though

We didn’t have to print money to bail out the auto industry or the banks

The govt is going to spend this money one way or another to avoid a depression

The big question is how do you spend it not whether you spend it

The article says they want to create new coins, that’s the same as printing money. For the auto bail out the debt went up 5 trillion.

The govt can’t just pull money out of thin air without it having an affect on our economy.

Watched a video of all Rosen’s passes from the Chargers game. The first half he looked pretty good, a little rusty on some throws even though the OL gave him time to throw. In the second half he wasn’t good, but had little time, lots of of pressure mostly from the blitz.

He’s still a work in progress and has potential, but he’s going to need to work his ass off this year, just to sniff the field, if Fitz continues as he ended last year, or…

So knowing Fitz’s history of bad, high int, games should we think about a Rosenpatrick approach, ala Woodstrock or insert rookie qb here-patrick?

Is there really a reason to play Fitz exclusively, sans a great season from him?

So bottom like is we have Jones and Howard for 2 years, 2022 could get rid of at a price, and after that clear sailing.

D – I think a lot of why I feel we will be drafting a C is they only gave Karras a 1YR contract. They don’t think he’s the answer and I do think by the end of the season the center we draft will be starting. It’s nit just how good Ruiz or Biadasz or Cushenberry may be, it’s just looking at what we did contract wise and why

For ER –
    “He reiterated that any small business with fewer than 500 employees is eligible for a loan amounting to two months of payroll and some overhead and that it will be forgiven if the company keeps its workers or rehires them.

“I assure you that the Treasury will be working with the SBA, that we’re going to add an enormous number of new lenders,” he said. “Basically, this is going to work that any small business can go into a bank very quickly, get the loan underwritten and get the money fast.””

But what small businesses need is grants not loans
      It’s not good for small businesses to incur debt and let the banks set the interest rates

It’s all grants in essence, because they’ll either stay in business and keep their employees or file bankruptcy and not pay the loans back.

I don’t want to file bankruptcy

No small business owner wants that. Incurring long term debt for something that might be a short term loss of business doesn’t make sense to me

Businesses just may have to survive a couple of months without a lot of revenue

Why would we finance a bank to give out a loan instead of directly financing the business for a couple of months. The cost to the taxpayers is the same. This shouldn’t be a scheme for banks to get rich. Just give the money to the businesses, not to banks to give out loans

If I’m the GM I trade back and try to pick up 2 of the top 4 OTs.

Then I take a quarterback to compete with josh Rosen

If you get 2 of the top 4OT, then you’re OL is set we didnt address ot in fa

It’s a fine line between the top 4 and the top 5 or 6

We might be able to sit at 26 and get one of the top 5 or 6

I think taking 2 OTs early is a smart move given our needs, but I don’t think we have to move around much to achieve it

If anything a move up from 18 might get us a player like Wirfs or Thomas

But is one know that we have to move back from 5 to make that happen

We need a QB at 5, then everything will fall into place.

It sure is tempting to take one of the great position players at 5, but that plays into the same mess we’ve had the past 20 years.

Piggy – I mostly agree with you. Especially about the bailouts. While they may need to bail out some industries, there should be a cost to those industries for that. Restrictions and stipulations on how they operate until the bailout is repaid.

I don’t agree that everyone should get a direct check. Only those who need it. It would be needlessly wasteful to give it to all and fraught with abuse.

The thing is – needless spending stimulates the economy too

I actually don’t want to see restrictions like people have less than 100k income a year don’t get $

Theoretically, it only should last a couple of months

I would be concerned with abuse for a longer plan
      But over the next couple of months to put $ in people pockets so that they are having food delivered to their homes, that will keep the restaurant,bar industry going, and the real estate industry (which gets $ from rent) and a bunch of other industries

But yes – abuse is an issue

It’s just temporary in my view
        It’s not a long term solution

I really just don’t like the idea of people taking our loans to survive

That creates a long term problem

• pheloniusphish says:

I think $100K is way too low for a threshold. Should be more like $200K or $300K for couples. Or maybe adjusted for cost of living. $100K in the DC/NYC/Bay Area does not go very far.

I was thinking abuse like illegals receiving it or people that simply don’t need it, like me. And yes only for a couple of months.

That’s where they were at – 100k

Which isn’t a lot of money in urban areas

Social security Numbers and ID should really solve a lot of issues IMO

It’s also just a little window of time. It can’t go on more than a few months max. It won’t work if this thing goes on through the summer or more

Steve

I’m Re-reading that article

It’s vague to me in terms of what creating platinum coins means
    If that’s the same as printing money, I get your points

But if that’s just the means they distribute the money, then I don’t think it’s the same as printing money

• pheloniusphish says:

I read it as printing money. That’s the only way it doesn’t add to the debt. Unless you are taking the money from someone else.

It seems that the democrats are delayed getting this bill passed because they want to add things that don’t relate to the corona virus situation. mconnell just layed this out. schumer just spoke and mentioned nothing of mconnells claims only to say they were in disagreement over big buis bailout.if thedems are holding out due to unrelated issues as mconnell has suggested this should be criminal trying to extort when we are in a crisis!

You can read it yourself if you feel like going through hundreds of pages

But I wouldn’t trust McConnell or Schumer’s representation any farther than I can throw each of them

FYI – the first page of you click on the link is the summary

But you can read the text by opening up the prompt that says summary and going to text

All bills are available online. So you never have to take a politician or a media outlets word in what it says

But they are usually a pain in the ass to read through

• pheloniusphish says:

PITA because they are written by lawyers…

There’s no simple answer, and as always you provide good counter points to think about.

I think the giants will be drafting wirfs @ 4, that leaves 3 ots left , so trade up @ 18 and take one @ 5

I don’t think I’m going to read all that I’m just going by what I see on TV, and I’m not saying either 1 is right or wrong, can you imagine a 50% unemployment rate? most would be content collecting a ck when things get better, that could destroy the economy or the people who truly needit

No one in their right would read all of that without a salary for doing it..lol

I don’t have a problem with politicians having idealistic differences between each other

I expect something to be passed before the week is through
      This is part of the process

But right now, I don’t really love that the income thresholds for the money they are sending people or small business loans rather than small business grants – of course both those things are limited by the money we have to spend…but I have big question marks of some one else is getting $ and regular people and small businesses are not

I doubt I get what I want when it’s said and done But maybe I’ll get closer to it

March 23, 2020 at 11:31 am

———————————————–
    We are talking pretty much the same deal i just think you think Karras will be challenged this year and i just dont see it, not by the prospects out there. He made the Patriots for 5 year that doesnt say sucks or not good enough, he hasnt bounced around, he hasnt been a cut PS sign cut PS sign guy. The reason he got a 1 year contract is because he has limited time as a starter, so he’s risky. Its a prove it deal, and that means they think its possible he makes them not need a another guy, but i think for sure they are going to draft one to be competition and to be the guy who starts if Karras just shits the bed. I think though unless thats the case Karras is our starter all year. I think there is a good possibility he is our starter in the future too, but it will depend on how he handles being our starter this year. Guy we draft probably competes at a few different positions.

According to my Senator John Cornyn, this is what the Democrats want added to the bill?

1) Unprecedented collective bargaining powers for unions
    2) Increased fuel emissions standards for airlines
    3) Expansion of wind and solar tax credits

Piggie the outline that you posted was what the republicans suggested, McConnell is saying Nancy Pelosi has added things that are not related to the crisis.

Pork barreling, no wonder Piggy doesn’t oppose it 🙂

That’s the actual bill they voted on ORob

She’s been doing that all along, as if they love politically the current situation and are trying to drag things out.

A lot of these assholes in Congress are lifetime members, like Biden and Pelosi, so when they see an opportunity for more power/wealth they take advantage of it at the cost of the cost of the American people.

I’m sure there’s Republicans that do the same thing, and I group them all together with a swamp label.

Allowing businesses to make their loan a grant as long as they hire back the people that were terminated will stop and outrageous amount of unemployment claims which could bury our country

Not to mention the lawsuits

That’s not in the bill though

It’s a loan not a grant for small businesses

• ocalarob says:

I heard it was a grant if they hire back all their people

• pheloniusphish says:

If they hire back or don’t lay-off employees they are forgiven the cost of maintaining payroll. so in essence that is a grant. if they take the money and don’t keep paying employees, they have to pay it back. If they only keep paying some employees, the forgiveness portion is prorated. seems fair to me and keeps people from taking the money and screwing their employees.

There is a forgiveness provision that has to do with maintaining costs of payroll

(b) Forgiveness.—An eligible recipient shall be eligible for forgiveness of indebtedness on a covered 7(a) loan in an amount equal to the cost of maintaining payroll continuity during the covered period.

Not sure how that works. I wouldn’t assume it’s automatic but it looks close to what you suggested.

In short Nancy Pelosi is holding a gun to the heads of this country, if this is true.

Yeah I just posted that too

Which effectively will make it a grant

But there may be a little more to it

If you look at China’s stats. 89% of the cases have been determined with 11% still active. It took 4 months to get there. If you consider they are not yet out of the woods how long will it take us to get there? Maybe august? I think there could be a dely in the nfl s

I cant imagine hitting golf balls in my neighbors yard until august! Damn!

ORob — based on China’s time frame could be a while. They started in Dec and are now just starting to open stuff up. The big hope is that the thing is seasonal like the regular flu. Summer is coming. And I’m hoping for some heat waves at least.

• pheloniusphish says:

I read they actually started in October. Just didn’t start reporting until December.

Phelon — I hope you are wrong, but you are probably right. Going with the warm weather thing….. comes into play on many viruses, even if not all.

• pheloniusphish says:

I kind of threw out the warm weather theory when it hit Iran as had as it did.

Southern Hemisphere spread has been real low…. don’t count out the heat yet. Planes go their too.

In the past we’ve had speed edge rushers, most notably Wake and JT, but now we have power guys that push the blocker out of the way, not letting the QB or RB take the other hole. Ogbah and Lawson are very similar in that way. Van Noy fits that description too.

Piggy is right…no one should have to read the whole Bill unless they are being paid. That was painful.

March 23, 2020 at 2:32 pm

————————————————-
    It is succeptable to heat from what i have read, so it probably wont live on the surfaces outside very long, but i think thats the only “seasonal” attribute of the virus that i have heard of.

God forbid it is actually a heat incubated one, because we would just be scraping the tip of the iceberg if thats the case, aslo its mutating very very rapidly, so its possible that even though who have gotten it and recovered from it can pick it back up again and distribute it to others again.

People are saying the change in weather won’t make a difference

But nothing like that is reliable or not at this point

Let’s test the heat theory, have you noticed a change in So. Fla? My mom in Melbourne says it’s in the 80s there.

D — you might be right that not a seasonal virus and the heat does not make a difference, but heat incubated is at least nothing have heard the talking heading docs go too.

I actually managed to do work from home today

Whos the best dt in the league? Fletcher cox. Donald or jones?

Good conversations. I’m sorry I missed them. Piggy, I completely agree with you for once 😉

Jetblue allowed me to cancel my flight next week – so that’s good
    And the hotel I was in allowed me to postpone until October

When you know the end of the world is near…. my building canceled valet parking. 🙂 Good move though….. thought those folks were real vulnerable.

so Canadian #’s on Corona…

BC 424 cases , 10 deaths
    Ontario 425 cases 5 deaths
    Both of above are large density of Asian persuasion.. and warmer parts of country
    Alberta 259 cases 1 death
    Quebec 221 cases 4 deaths
    then a huge drop off into the Prairies..

33 Saskatchewan 0 deaths
    11 case in Mb, 0 deaths
    Maritmes have 43 cases Zero deaths

and Northern territories 3 cases zero deaths..

so it would appear outside of population density , that the colder it is the less cases there are.. partially cause we stay in mostly anyways..

It’s a friggin chilly, rainy day here in Northern NJ. Along with what’s going on worldwide with the virus it makes it even more gloomy. 😦

LOL Bookman! Can you ever wash that smell out? 😀

I’m kind of glad we moved on from Clowney. He’s a very impactful front 7 player but I think he’s overestimating his value.

Noooooooo!

I tried Piggy. But I had to stop when I got to the $100 Million to NASA to combat Coronavirus.

I didn’t read the bills guys

I’m not going to do that to myself, not in one sitting anyway

But I think both have loans to small business and it will probably make it to the final compromise

And it’s just two different approaches to what our economy may need

The republican bill has 200 billion in loans to big business similar to the structure of the auto industry bailout…But we don’t and won’t know the specifics bc it’s gives discretion to the treasury dept to hand those out….that’s not ideal for my taste

The democrat version is long and I’ve barely scratched the surface of it. But it’s nowhere near that and has a lot of stuff you have to read through to see if it’s relevant

• pheloniusphish says:

The Democrats’ version is more a death by a thousand cuts. $100M here, a $100M there.. NASA, NOAA,AG inspections, the re-birth of Obamaphones, rural broadband, economic development grants for PR, Somoa, Marianas, etc.

I would also,like to see more specific controls for big biz in the Republican version.

Lack of specific controls in the major criticism of the republican bill
        If they are going to give big loans out to industries, do it with strings attached to make sure their employees are protected

Honestly I can’t believe these guys drafted these 2 bills so quickly
        I can’t write a sentence without a typo

Winston threw 30 ints last year and 88 in 5 years

Fitzpatrick threw 13 last year

I will stick with Fotz for now thank you

Pig — when bills like that pass there is a good chance that no one read the whole thing. Everyone on a legislative team may have collectively….. but that means they each had their own areas of expertise. Anyone interested should just check out the bill summaries. What the folks who vote on it will be reading.

I try to read through stuff I am hearing reporting on to draw my own conclusion

Buy giving teams different parts to work on makes sense
      Most of the time when you read them they refer to something else to read too
      It’s pretty voluminous

Part of Piggy’s Bill is; The Seven Samurai according to Piggy. LMAO!!!!

Fejedelem seems to be replacing Aikens as ST’s Ace and backup Safety.

Somebody else’s analysis of the Senate relief Bill.

A very dear and much smarter friend compiled this. Thanks Remi Steele.

A rather lengthy post, but if you care to read…
    I read through (waded through, often with eyes glazing over at the legalese and having to reread to comprehend) the Senate Covid-19 Relief bill.
    The bottom line: It’s all about supporting small, minority and women owned businesses, tax relief for citizens and businesses, and making sure the country is prepared should something like this happen in the future; no one is getting a hand out per se, but assistance where it’s needed, IMO.
    The Senate bill includes a butt-ton of funds for small businesses to take loans to continue to make payroll, but it also includes a provision for forgiveness of those loans under certain criteria for the businesses if they can’t pay it back. The bill also includes medical insurance relief for those who are affected/afflicted, and it includes individual tax relief. The checks everyone was talking about getting, those won’t be checks, but tax deductions above the normal exemptions.
    There’s talk about this bill giving big corporations huge amounts in bailout money (like they don’t employ people who work and need to get paid). In this bill, the corporations are getting tax breaks that would allow them to make payroll, like the small businesses.
    Regarding “giving” money to the airlines? The bill would make loans available to them under special terms & conditions. The money must be paid back to the treasury.
    Portions of the bill are designed to keep air transport moving – supply chain and passenger traffic via loans and tax breaks. No mention of giving industries anything, except keeping small businesses afloat via some grants.
    The bill contains a provision for an excise tax free holiday period.
    It addresses stockpiling of critical medical supplies.
    It addresses national security and medical supplies. GTF out of China.
    It addresses critical drug shortages, again, GTF out of China.
    A concerning section regarding drugs is a FIOA exemption, but it looks like it’s in there to protect patents and would need further clarification.
    It appears in the Senate bill there is zero pork and only relief for Covid-19, provisions to keep supply chains moving, move critical medical supply manufacturing onto American soil, protect and amass critical meds and medical supplies. There’s nothing that “gives” anyone anything, but it makes provisions for temporary relief until this crisis passes and seeks to ensure we’re prepared for a similar event in the future.
    The Senate bill contains a Covid-19 patient provision for support for healthcare providers, permanent direct hire of NDMS healthcare professionals, and grants for technology for telehealth networks and telehealth resource centers.
    It contains provisions for rural Covid-19 healthcare, and it addresses the deployment readiness of the US Public Health Service.
    It addresses HIPAA, and nutritional services to the homebound and elderly (provisions for meals on wheels), and the START program. It would include telehealth or remote care along with long-term healthcare.
    There is a bit of craziness. The bill would allow amounts paid for menstrual care products to be claimed as paid for as medical care.
    Another bit of craziness is something they call provisions for “noncontagious” areas. How are those determined? Does the Senate have a crystal ball?
    There is a sneaky provision about canceling student loan obligations in there. On closer look, it appears to have a narrow focus. Any loan portion that would be due for any courses cancelled during a qualifying emergency would be forgiven. I suppose that’s fair, but, the university should refund the student, who should then give the money back.
    Student loan payments are suspended with no accrual of interest, and the loan considered reduced as if the student made a monthly payment during the national emergency not exceed a year. There’s an age cap, which is 26.
    There’s a new limitation on paid leave for employers – no more than $200 per day with a cap of $10k and a limitation on paid sick leave.
    A bit confusing is Division E – Temporary Permit Use to Guarantee Money Market Mutual Funds. This provision pertains to the non-applicability of restrictions on ESF during national emergency. It says that section 131 of the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (12 USC 5236) shall not apply during the national emergency concerning the Covid-19 outbreak as declared by the President. I’m too tired to look that up tonight…That’s the Senate bill in a nutshell. No pork, all Covid-19 relief. On to the House Bill and a comparison to the Senate bill tomorrow…

Yeah but this analysis doesn’t consider that there’s hundreds of millions in the bill that can be loaned by the treasury dept without any restrictions (I.e. Corp bailouts)

That’s pretty much the brunt of the opposition to the bill

I don’t personally want to see my tax dollars be doled out to big business without any strings attached to it. I generally don’t want it used that way in general. I prefer that money go directly to either small business or individuals themselves.

This is a major political distinction between the parties and it always has been

No one should be surprised by it.

What was your stance on the bank bailout after 2008?

Honestly I didn’t have a stance at the time

So do I want to bailout banks, or the auto industry now?

No I don’t

We didn’t get back a lot of the money that was “loaned” those businesses were in bankruptcy at the time already

But at least then with the banks or the auto industry those bailouts were directly connected to what we were trying to address

But slipping in bailouts to the airline industry and “other industries” is unrelated to the Coronavirus at this time

We don’t even know the extent that these industries are distressed

It’s much different circumstances that 08 when we knew Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were going under and the economy was tanking BX of a mortgae crisis

I wonder what all these waitresses and people who work and live from paycheck to paycheck will do over the next 4 months with no stimulis ck?

Go to SF and visit Nancy.

Pelosi’s bill gives families with 3 or more children up to 7500 each
      Joint filers get 3000
      And 1500 per child up to 3

And you pay for things like this by not earmarking hundreds of millions of dollars to the treasury dept to bailout large corporations without any restrictions on who gets what

So it might br worth waiting to get a higher amount

Given that there healthcare, wages and employment protections are also at the whim of political objections, it’s nothing new

We can go on and on about this

But the solution is easy if this is an emergency

Bifurcate the bill, take the part about relief to families separately without prejudice to the ability increase it later and compromise on the amount

That’s not modern day politics
      Everyone has to cram everything in to one bill instead of doing it piece meal, which might be more effective on things people do agree about

Leave the hard parts that people disagree about for there own separate legisiation

Cincy took Tua #1

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 5: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU (A+)
    Round 1 Pick 18: Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa (A+)
    Round 1 Pick 26: DAndre Swift, RB, Georgia (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 7: Shane Lemieux, OG, Oregon (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 24: Antoine Winfield Jr., FS/SS, Minnesota (A)
    Round 3 Pick 6: Lucas Niang, OT, TCU (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 35 (COMP): Tre’Vour Wallace-Simms, OG, Missouri (A+)

Wirfs may go 4 to giants. We may end up drafting simmons at 5. Flores is focusing on defense

I think any qbs that slip past 6 will be there at 18

Tua sent a video. He looks healthy. We may have to move up to 3 to get him

Unless chargers get a qb like cam newton. Its more than likely they will try to move in front of us to get him. They like those guys from hawaii

It wouldn’t upset me if Some one traded up to get Tua bx I also like Herbert

If it happened that maybe your plan to trade down and get more picks is a little more feasible

We also can look at some one like Wirfs with our first pick, and then wait for Herbet at 18 or trade up for him

I’m not really worried about selling out for 1 QB
      We can sit at 5 and see what happens

Piggy said bifurcate. That sounds like a dirty, dirty, word. Filthy pig!

The senates bill gives the Dolphins an additional $50M of cap space. It’s a very difficult addendum to find, you have to read very carefully.

Trivia…dont google it.
    Q = Miami gave up the third overall pick in a trade with cleveland for Paul Warfield. Who did the Browns draft with that pick?

Piggy – Big businesses are employers too. You mention the airlines and how they have been affected. They employ about 750,000 Americans. As of today flight loads are down over 82%. In addition to the employees who are currently being laid off, passenger aircraft carry a large percentage of the Nation’s air cargo and US mail. Yes, I would like more concrete controls on their loans. But how about negotiating that instead of tanking the whole package and trying to get pet pork into the relief package. The Democrats are wholly to blame for the current delays and people suffering. The Kennedy Center? NASA? NOAA? The National Endowment for the Arts? Please…the Democrats should never utter the phrases “slush fund” or “pork Barrel” again and the current crop of them in DC should all be horse whipped and run out of the country.

ocalarob says:
    March 24, 2020 at 9:55 am

———————————————
    I think he got the guys he wanted on defense from FA, i think it will be a heavy offense draft.

We as fans make too much of “injury history”, and im not worried about the injuries that Tua has had being a problem for us in the future. If a guy like Teddy Bridgewater can come back from what essentially was his lower leg torn off his body, then Tua’s injuries arent worrisome and they are all fluke heak and come back kind, not degenerative kinds im not concerned. I am concerned about one thing, and thats if they try to force his playstyle or if they coaching him out of the more dangerous aspects.

His play-style and one of his best attributes is getting out of pressure and making stuff happen, but in the NFL thats a high liability and you have to know when to take the sack or get out of bounds, or throw it away, etc.Tua pushes himself so hard to make every play get yards that im nervous about him continuing to do that in the NFL and then getting hurt. His injury history doesn’t bother me at all.

Phelon – That’s kind of what I don’t understand. Big companies employ a lot of people. I don’t know why people want to punish big companies so bad. My wife works for a big company. If they go under we’re fucked! Just because they’re big corporations and they make a lot of money, they also pay a lot of money to their employees. They disappear, thousands of jobs disappear too.

Because they’ve been known to be in the pockets of politicians. I don’t think it’s the case for this instance, but it’s an easy narrative for those on the left to use.

OCRob, it looks like i was sorta right, i looked up the trade and it looks like they later Traded Phipps to the bears and used the selection to get Ozzie Newsome lol. I was just guessing because the time frames and i figured it must have been a big time pickup lol.

NY is getting hammered. 25k positive test. The next closest is 2500. The country and different states should share medical resources as needed. You cant have 10k respirators being hoarded by one state when another state needs them

Lousiana is 3rd, with a fraction of the population of NY or CA, the 1 and 2.

The states are bidding against each other right now

So right now whomever had the most $ gets them

The Feds can’t take control though if the President uses his emergency powers under the Defense Production Act

Then the federal govt can distribute to the states or cities based on need rather than just a bidding war

So there’s a solution for that issue

BTW any money loaned or even given to a travel based company, not leisure travel, but business travel, is in fact a way to keep businesses of all sizes going. My suggestion would be for the airlines to suspend all travel not associated with business, businesses can claim for reimbursement, all travel expenses, and the airlines can claim for reimbursement all operating costs during the period of banned recreational travel. This limits the number of passengers aboard, and the distancing between passengers could be maximized. Travel is a necessary component of business so they need to stay open, but you can limit the bailout aspect to just compensation of operational expenses.

I can respect your suggestion

But what the current bill does is earmark money for the treasury dept to give out the Loans – so it’s ints current form, your suggestions don’t matter

You can build strings attached Into the Bill yo achieve this or other things, but this bill does not do that

It’s gives the discretion to the treasury dept which virtually guarantees being prey to Washington lobbyist and insiders

steveccnv says:
    March 24, 2020 at 11:23 am

You say you aren’t concerned with his injury history, but you are concerned his style of play will lead to injuries. I feel the same way, and I said injury prone, but either way he’s at risk.
    ————————————————–
    ok, must of misread what ya were saying. I think though, it can be coached out, Russel Wilson, Dak Prescott, and a few other took to the training and really still do what they do but do it safer. Watson is learning, albeit he is just now getting there. I dont think its not doable, and thats kinda of why i leave it up to the FO to make that call. I personally see him a lot like Wilson, and i think he is smart enough and adaptive enough to learn to change that play-style some to avoid getting crushed. Its a risk for sure, but a lot of the guys transitioning to the NFL have that risk.

At least the DOW is up

I would be all for this!

D says:
    March 24, 2020 at 11:45 am

Any of you stock market types buying up the cruiseline stocks that dropped like 70 points when this shit first peaked?

Are you crazy?

Im not doing it, im just wondering if others are, I dont do stocks other than managing my 401k and other type investments. I know a few people that snatched up a bunch at 30, They are generally pretty smart and i can see those bouncing back easily to 60, though it more of a long term investment for that. This wont kill that industry.

I’m not a stocks guys

So I don’t know smart investments
        But it sounds risky to me

I guess it’s all a matter of how risk adverse people are with their money

I clutch mine like it’s the last roll of toilet paper and don’t take a lot of chances

Phelon

It’s not that big business doesn’t have an effect on people’s lives

It’s that this is an obvious political knee jerk reaction by republicans to protect big business and that’s not appropriate for an emergency relief fund

If you earmark 500 billion Dollars to prop up big business before they even report losses, that money can easily be spent raising the money you give to individuals or small business

Tax payers lose money with Corp bailouts in the form loans. It’s not just whether it’s paid back, but the time it takes to pay it back

500 billion is no small amount to be loaning out to save big business in hopes that it trickles down to people

It often doesn’t trickle down, Especially if they just use the $ to do stock buybacks which is exactly what happened in the 2018 Corp tax breaks

I don’t want to be a wacko who bashes successful corporation bc they are successful. But their fiduciary duty to their shareholders is to make money. It is ludicrous to give a lump sum to the treasury dept to dole out and hope the bread crumbs trickle down to individuals to fuel the economy – that’s irresponsible government

Again, this is a major political difference between the parties. It has no place in an emergency relief fund. You can’t use this bill as a vehicle to promote trickle down economics

We talked about printing money yesterday to pay individuals
    But that obviously doesn’t have to be done
    And republicans don’t think that either as they earmarked 500 billion dollars for Corp loans

If we decide to give our bailouts, at a minimum do it with strings attached so that employees get basic protections – but this bill gives 500 billion to the treasury dept without strings. What do you think is going to happen when the hotel industry, cruise industry, and every other industry hires lobbyists s to get a piece of that money

And duck the cruise industry. They don’t even file taxes and US. They file abroad. They aren’t even contributing.

FYI – I don’t like Pelosi’s plan either

But the end game here is a compromise

No way am I okay with earmarked that much money to the treasury dept to loan to “distressed businesses”

• TryPod says:

Yes- a compromise. Both sides are playing politics because that’s what they do, but ultimately get to something that both can work with and choke down the crap that makes your stomach hurt for the sake of the end result, which should be something that actually helps the most people at the least cost. There is no perfect bill, but there is a responsible, representative one.

NEW BLOG UP!!!