Week 6 – Jets @ Dolphins

Defense was the story last week as the Dolphins played their best game of 2020 with a total and complete dismantling of the San Francisco 49ers. QB Jimmy Garoppolo probably wished he waited one more week to come back, and I’d bet HC Kyle Shanahan wishes he didn’t put Jimmy G. in either because he clearly looked like he wasn’t ready to play. The Dolphins defense hounded Jimmy G. and his wobbly ankle yielded wobbly throws and he was unable to escape the rush which was heavy all day. 5 sacks total to boost the yearly total to 14 sacks. Don’t spit on that guys, that’s a legit improvement from last season where we managed a season’s total of 23. Our current pace for sacks put us at 45, which is unlikely, but either way puts us close to doubling last year’s output. The rush came from everywhere, inside with Elandon Roberts, Jerome Baker and Zach Sieler and outside with Van Ginkle and Ogbah. Add in 3 turnovers, 2 INT’s (Xavien Howard) and 1 fumble recovery (Christian Wilkins) and it was great day for the defense.

Now on to the offense which by the way, also came to play. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw for 350 yards with 3 TD’s and zero INT’s. The run game was merely a complement, Myles Gaskin rushed 16 times for 57 yards and 1 TD and they sprinkled in a little of Breida and a rush or two from Bowden and Grant. RB Jordan Howard was healthy scratch. Now there is talk of the possibility of the Dolphins signing former Steeler and Jets RB Le’Veon Bell. At the moment of this writing, Bell has narrowed it down to 3 teams, the Bills, Chiefs and Dolphins. Does adding Le’Veon Bell make us a playoff contender? I suppose it depends on how we use him. The 2 RB’s we acquired in the offseason are basically spectators to the Myles Gaskin show. Breida and Howard have 114 yards rushing combined on 35 caries while Gaskin has 64 carries and 249 yards rushing. Bell looked anything but a top tier back in NY this season and last night but i9njuries have hampered him. He has only 19 carries this season and really is quite far removed from the elite RB he was in Pittsburgh all the way back in 2017. Personally, I’d say he was more of a product of that offense, having a great run blocking O-line, also catching passes from Roethlisberger when plays broke down and having WR’s Antonio Brown (in his prime) along with Martavis Bryant . So many times Big Ben extended the play and found Bell for a hige gain because the field was cleared out by Brown and Bryant and JuJu Smith-Schuster. Is it possible he’s that same player? I wouldn’t bet on it.

The Dolphins will play a late game this week (4PM) due to COVID-19 rescheduling. The Jets come in to Miami at a low point of their season. They are 32nd in scoring at 15 PPG and 32nd in defense allowing 32.2 PPG. Just dreadful. Last week we beat a team not at their best, and we put our foot on their neck. We need to do the same this week. Yes, the Jets cut Le’Veon Bell but may be getting 2 receivers back, Breshad Perriman (ankle) and Denzel Mims (IR hamstring). Both WR’s would be a boost to an anemic Jets offense that has featured Jamison Crowder, Chris Hogan, Braxton Berrios and TE Chris Herndon. Sam darnold has had a difficult season to say the least, the O-line pass protection has been leaky and he doesn’t really have a reliable receiver to throw to. He’s been sacked 12 times and has thrown 3 TD’s against 4 INT’s. HC Adam Gase is beyond dead man walking, yet this is a game if the guy has any juice left that he would try to get his team to compete in. Right now the Jets have to be included as a favorite to land next year’s prized possession in the NFL Draft, QB Trevor Lawrence and a win could put that in jeopardy as the hapless Atlanta falcons share an 0-5 record.

LB Kyle Van Noy is questionable to play this week with a groin injury. He played last week against the Niners but that’s a tough injury to play through. Sam Eguavoen would replace Van Noy if he can’t go. We also lost DT Davon Godchaux with a torn biceps and this should give DT Raekwon Davis a lot more snaps along with Brandon Sieler who has been fantastic in a Dolphins uniform. Sieler has played 38% of the snaps this season already and I expect that will increase significantly this week with Godchaux out. Mike Gesicki finally was more involved in the offense and I hope that continues. He averaged over 18 YPC last week on 5 receptions so we need to keep feeding him the ball. I honestly don’t expect Bell to be a Miami Dolphins, my guess is the Bills. Either way, hope we make the right decision.

GO DOLPHINS!!!

1,580 Responses to Week 6 – Jets @ Dolphins

That’s a fricken page turn!!!!!!! 🙂

3. Phindog says:

Tua named starter.

I’m really excited to hear Tua names starter

But let’s be clear, Fitz is perfect for us
    He’s a perfect veteran backup in case theirs a setback to Tua’s progression

Let’s make sure we take the time to note how great Fitz has been for this team since he’s been here

I really hope they bring him back as at least a QB assistant, if not QB’s coach. That guy knows football and i think is really going to be great educating new players.

It begins!

6. Rhino says:

Fins just announced that Tua will start the next game !!!!!

I don’t believe it. It’s not April yet is it?

Starting with the Rams is going to be interesting with that DL. I guess that says they aren’t worried about his injuries lol.

• Rhino says:

I expect a lot of roll outs and quick passes due to Tua’s accuracy in those types of plays … at same time limit the ‘hit’ opportunities of Rams DL.

9. Rhino says:

I spent time this morning looking at those second half drives for Fins … only the FG drive had a first down, everything else was 3 and out (or less, with the INT) until Tua’s last drive.

Our Defense was on the field a long time in 2nd half. We need sustained drives to keep defense fresh. Our defense is playing with great energy, but they still need some rest to stay at that level of energy. A better offense would have made this a close game in the second half.

As well as Fitz has been playing this is a pretty remarkable move, and it makes the “best chance to win” statement coach speak from a couple weeks back. Im glad to see it and im glad Flo did it when he wanted to do it

It’s gets a little harder to make this move if we are 4-4 or 5-5
      Or 5-4 or 6-3

If you want to think about your future, now is the time

I hope everyone doesn’t start shitting all over Tua on the outings for the year. We have such a fickle fanbase they get excited one moment and then bail the next.

12. Rhino says:

Rams have 3 plays of NFL Tua film to look at. lol

D says:
    October 20, 2020 at 12:00 pm (Edit)

*****

Let’s assume hypothetically that Tua does everything to keep the job to the extent that the idea that him being named starter for 2021 before the 2021 season is a safe assumption…I.e. we found our franchise QB.

Assuming he’s our future

An ideal situation for me is Fitz still the backup for 2021
    And then eventually Fitz becomes a part of our organization in 2021

An experienced QB who happens to be a Harvard grad…that doesn’t sound so bad at all for our front office

I know I’m way ahead on this….I’m just saying, he may have a long term future with this team even if it’s not starter

^

I’m not sure he can’t go beyond 2021 as a backup.

I think he thought he was going to retire two years ago….so he’s probably close to seriously contemplating it

But if the Dolphins made a push to sign him through 2021, I think it would be smart

I guess it’s true. Just watched his highlights again. Something everyone seems to miss, or at least I haven’t heard it, on his first pass, he had Bowden wide open with room to run, 10 yards to the side of where the pass was thrown.

WOW! Tua Era begins!

Steve – If I recall correctly, Tua was being chased on the throw to Laird, maybe he didn’t want to set his feet to make the throw to Bowden and chose the easier release to Laird.

Bottomline is he got the first down on a great throw to Grant.

I think the first pass was possibly designed to just hit Laird on the sideline with no chance for an int, but next time that a play like that develops he gets the read right.

I bet the guys in the film room didn’t miss it and are giving Tua shit right about now.

Baldinger loves the plays though

Hey maybe Tua wanted to stop tech clock with under Tua minutes to play

Shoutout to Hunt and Kindley who won’t let anyone get with Tua yards of Tua

He just looks the part. I don’t know how it plays out this year, but I’d be shocked, if he doesn’t get us to at least 8-8.

Herbert still looks like his deer eyes are glazed. Burrow to me hasn’t shown the IT factor he had in college, like he can make plays and get big yards at times, but not at winning time.

“Perfect. Gets out of bounds, stops the clock.” LOL

Piggy Prediction

Some of the most amazing plays of the career we are about to watch will happen on

2nd and Tua

We have to come up with a blog catch phrase anytime 2nd down and Tua happens

Any suggestions?

This screams “this is the right move” to me

Lot of inexperienced QBs ahead

I Guess I should not be referring to Goff as I experienced

But Murray, Herbert, Burrow, Lock and maybe even Darnold and Allen fit that mold

“I like my defensive stops on 2nd and Tua like I like my pork chops….rare”

Why would they announce this now? Do they have to? I’d not say a word til he trots out on the field. I’m stealthy that way. 😉

Isn’t there a mandatory 3 days off for bye weeks?

Also…props on the use of “trots”

A+ for context and subtle porcine imagery

Herd — two words on why they announce it now. …. “free advertising.” Gonna be a lot more Dolphin’s stories over the bye week.

I’ve got a CPE webinar from 1 til 4:45, today, tomorrow and Thursday. HELP ME!

It’s on zoom, I hope everyone keeps their clothes on, doesn’t stand up, doesn’t get too excited in there. 😉

As excited as I am to see our new QB toy in action, feel a bit bad for Fitz too. He didn’t deserve to lose his job, but guess he knew this was part of it.

Tua will be getting all the reps with the starters instead of Fitz, and I don’t think we can hide that.

I’m gonna do it!
    But I threw up a little!

I think Bowden was lower in the read progression and i think someone higher was open. First game action he took the completion that came first instead of searching out for more yards. Thats a progress thing, so its not like it was a critical error.

Williams was wide open about 10 yards deeper on the same side of the field.
      Tua was in his own endzone with Defenders zeroing in on him. I’m not going to pile on about his first throw being a mis read. (it was)

There’s this????????
    2 weeks to the trade deadline!!!!!!!

Home
    News
    QB Switch: Good Move or Bad Move?
    The Miami Dolphins were on a roll heading into their bye week but reportedly decided to make a quarterback change anyway
    By Alain Poupart , Oct 20, 2020

Tua Tagovailoa’s time has arrived.

We can now stop wondering when he’ll take over as the Miami Dolphins starting quarterback because news came out Tuesday morning, via an Adam Schefter tweet, that the team has made the switch away from veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick.

It was inevitable it was going to happen at some point, but it’s impossible to look at this move at this time and not ask: Why now?

Yes, there was a school of thought all along that the logical time to make the switch was during the bye week, which is exactly what ended up happening.

Except that the original bye was supposed to come in Week 11 (Nov. 22) before it was moved up because of the reshuffling of the NFL schedule necessitated by positive COVID-19 tests involving the New England Patriots.

Wouldn’t it be something, if we got the last playoff spot over the cheats, because the plan all along was to put Tua in after the bye, that was moves up, because of their covid situation 😏

Tua time!!!! ESPN says he has been named starter

So I am late to the party but I am celebrating anyway

Hulk big green angry hands

Great for smashing
    Bad for scrolling up

😝

You seem to have more info than you’re letting out🙄

I’d like to hear Flores’ explanation of why now. Does he feel like the D has taken the next step, has Tua looked great in practice, or did he show him something at the end of jets game…

I thought Tua looked great on Sunday, but I wouldn’t just use that to decide to start him.

• flores has been saying that tua is ready, and tua got the only third down conversion against the worst team in the NFL

its as good a time as any, and a bye week is a great time to do it IMO

im EXCITED beyond belief, lol ITS TUA TIME

October 20, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Hopefully Kindley doesn’t take it easy on him
      ———————————————————————–
      A few full weight belly flops on him might re-define the word pancake in the game.

I wonder how Tua changes the affect of the running game? Do we use some RPOs, that will pause the D?

Next Gen Stats
    @NextGenStats
    27m
    Which teams average the highest win probability when entering the 4th quarter this season?

Top 5
    📈: Ravens, Seahawks, Steelers, Titans, Dolphins

Bottom 5
    📉: Jets, Jaguars, Giants, Eagles, Washington

The move hasn’t been officially announced, meaning it was leaked.

Well if it was leaked while they were actually trying to hide it…… didn’t take long. Like said above — too large a circle of folks in the know for it not to get out.

The one nice part about how this unfolded….. they are darn sure Tua is ready. Would be different if we got blown out the last 2 games while Ftiz had 7 INTs.

• hey stanger, hows it going buddy, this is our future, and the future franchiseQB

we all know that fitz was just waiting to be benched, i love FItz attitude about it

we may have gotten all there was to get from Fitz, and thankful for it, but if Flores thinks it is TUA time, , i dont have anything to argue against it, lol
      Tua is diffferent, we have seen that already from him, we have to get him in there!

In Flores we trust…. and even better when that means watching Tua for the first time. And when he plays we probably have the best #2 QB in the league, which hopefully is just like before cause Tua is that good.

Very excited to hear Tua was named the starter. As for worrying about defenses he’ll be playing and how to keep him healthy, you can’t play football that way. He’s either ready to go or not. Flores and the coaches obviously think he’s ready.

It’s nice reading the positive press about our team. Everyone has us trending up. We’re being ranked anywhere from 18-20 from the sites I’ve visited, which is up from around 30 at the start of the season. A number of stories about us being surprise playoff contenders. Just this morning I’ve read a couple of stories talking about what a great job we’ve done so far on our rebuild.

Man I hope Tua is the real deal. If Tua can be a top 10 QB in this league, we’re nearly there. We’ve got another big draft with multiple extra picks. Another year under the system.

I’m just trying to find out if there is anything more I can be doing to help this team. Perhaps sacrifice a live chicken to the football gods or something…

I am guessing the following reasoning:
    1. The OL has taken the next step
    2. Flores is comfortable that Tua has enough weapons and
    3. As always he is playing the guy that he thinks gives us the best chance to win

I’m gonna take credit even though I didn’t nail it exactly. I said that Tua would be starting by the last week in October. Named starter today so even though he won’t start in October he was NAMED starter so I will go with I was right. LOL

We’re in trouble now!

Schefter what an asshole. The Dolphins have decided to bench Fitz.

Schifty why you wanna dis Fitz? He doesn’t deserve that. He’s not really being benched, they’re just ready for the future.

I sure hope Aaron Donald takes it easy on Tua’s HIP!

I heard Tua might start

Tanking for Trevor is starting late this season. The Jets already have a 3 game lead on us for the # 1 pick!

This is how it feels to me:

“You are going to have to get surgery on your knee, but the great news is after rehab you should be able to run again and there should be no more or at least less pain.”

So, there is going to be no pain? No, There MAY be less pain, but you have to wait until after rehab to find out.

YEAH!!!! I’m going to have surgery!

^^ How I feel about Tua.

Piggy I just bought you a Tua jersey. The curse doesn’t count if you don’t buy it right?

Maybe Fitzpatrick told the coaches he’s Tua old for this $#!+. Let the kid take some hits

Fitz knew it was only a matter of time. He supports Tua and he’s there just in case Tua struggles or gets hurt.

Met a good man today. He was cleaning up after a day’s condo construction down the street from my vet’s office, which is on Covid lockdown. You sit and wait out side in your car till whatever is done and at that point had been an hour. Needed to piss bad and dude was sweeping up right next to a porta-John on the property.

Walked up and said would give him ten bucks to use it. He said “you gotta piss you gotta piss…. you don’t need to give me anything.”

That has to be fake twits

For all you FinFans that have been burned before!

Wyo – You call me a curmudgeon, have you seen Rock around lately?

Regardless of how you feel about Tua overall or should he start now, tell me you’re not excited to see him play? 😉

I am, I don’t see what everyone’s worried about. Either he’s the real deal or he’s not. Time to find out now! I’m stoked!! Fitz is not the future of this team and he’s not the guy to take us to the playoffs, but Tua might be

It could be a bumpy road along the way but it needs to start for Phase III in 2021. It’s not a surprise that the decision was made at the bye. That might have been the plan all along.

The future is starting Tua take shape

Oi…test!

Weird, didn’t post my Tua Haikua

FitzMagic’s sun sets
    A new sun rises on Tua’s day
    Many championships follow

I don’t see us losing another game……….ever

October 20, 2020 at 12:33 pm
    We have to come up with a blog catch phrase anytime 2nd down and Tua happens

Any suggestions?

DRINK works 🍻

Happy to see what our new toy looks like after two weeks of polishing

Holy shit Phelon is waxing poetic. I don’t know if I should be scared or impressed 😁

ORob still pissed we didn’t draft Jordan Love 😆

For Tim

FitzMagic’s sun sets
    New sun rises in Miami
    Tua’s day begins

Tua hold you over for Tua more weeks

Just the Tua us

2️⃣ 👅🎻

2️⃣🅰️ 👅🎻

Is that a tongue?

Tua we wait for
    His presence is the future
    The future is him

Time to get started
    Playoffs and wins all in view
    Tua time is now

Sun rise in the East
    While the old warriors take rest
    New blood fills the sky

Dammit!

Sun rise in the East
    While the old warrior takes rest
    New blood fills the sky

Tua Tua Tua Tua Tua

Tua Tua Tua Tua Tua Tua Tua

Tua Tua Tua Tua Tua

Honestly, this stuff is easy…

84. TOP SECRET says:

remember when this is how sleepy joe talked ?

you have to think these guys have found the perfect time to insert Tua.

1. this team has had 6 weeks to gel in all three phases under fitz.
    2. you have a bye week to get him ready, which i thought the bye week came later however the adjusted schedule worked in their favor.
    3. The bye week also started a run of the easier part of the schedule. nothing easy about the rams but we have them @ home coming off a bye and they will have a short week and deal with jetlag. then you have @ cards, those should be tough games. then we have denver..chargers..cincy & the jets, 4 very winnable games.

at worst i would hope 4-2 that would leave us at 7-5 with 4 very tough games left and a somewhat experienced Tua.

A pretty damn good time to get Tua rolling, the stars seem to be aligning.

packers @ texans….Go Packers!

October 20, 2020 at 11:03 pm
    Tua we wait for
    His presence is the future
    The future is him
    ______________________________

that’s what you said about Henne! also that he’s the next Marino!

Don’t Hex us!

D says:
    October 21, 2020 at 1:00 pm

October 20, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Hopefully Kindley doesn’t take it easy on him
    ———————————————————————–

Ken says:
    October 20, 2020 at 8:42 pm
    ORob still pissed we didn’t draft Jordan Love 😆

__________________________________________________

I’m still pissed we didn’t sign Peyton Manning who BTW went on to win a SB.
    I can’t believe you scared Ross about his neck injury!

What a different world it would have been. Wear my “Manning to Miami” t-shirt regularly. Gets more comments than all my others combined.

I always thought it would be either the game before (the one we just played) or the bye week that they put Tua in, as i said before you couldnt write a story with a better climax point. So we had our BYE adjusted, so its earlier, i mean its not the same perfect write for the time to put hinm in, but its still pretty much the same story. The Rams game was always the one that made me go…mmmmmmmaybe we should put him in just after that if we are going to rush it, but again, its not like several other defenss we will go against dont have good to great DL’s, Chargers do, Broncos do sorta, even with Miller out, the chiefs have been pretty solid up front too. This is a good out of the box test, and im hoping he proves that everythign reads the same no matter the adjustment.

Fitz has been acting like he already had the script before the season started.

He’s how I think it went down. Ryan, we’d like you to mentor and be supportive of Tua, and in return you can start the season, then when we have our bye week Tua will take over. You can stay on as the backup/QB coach as long as you can still play, then we’ll find you a coaching position, after you retire. As long as Tua succeeds we’ll all likely stay employed in Miami.

He just seems more than happy to see Tua succeed, as if there’s an ulterior motive.

I’d love to see Fitz stay here as back-up and then move into coaching, but it might also be that Fitz — especially close to retirement Fitz — is just that guy. He’s been loved by his teammates wherever he went.

He said he wants to stay in football and eventually move into coaching. I remember some interview he did not long after moving to us, where he was talking about his decision not to retire a few years back and he basically said he really loves the sport and even when his time is up he wants to coach. I say give the man his shot. He is great for this team.

Oh and i think before he signed his FA deal they told him he was a transition QB, and i think at that time it was either going to be Rosen or a draft pick. I think that was explained to Rosen as well. It just didn’t work out for Rosen here. Had it worked out for Rosen, we might have Rosen and some other guy drafted later, as our QB group.

Ken,
    I wanted Jordan Love because i thought he was adequate and we would not have to spend a #5 overall pick on him. I thought Loves measurables were better than Tua. i thought Tua was a product of his environment and didn’t warrant the pick, strictly seeing it from the limited access i had.
    and we could have parlayed that #5 pick into a wealth of future talent.
    Tua may be great but at this point the jury hasn’t even been selected yet as to who will turn out better.
    I sure hope he lives up to that pick.

Lol at limited access. There’s so many Tua YouTube videos out there you could watch every pass he threw.

• ocalarob says:

it was like watching the 85 bears play against Rutgers.
        how could you gain any knowledge from him playing on that alabama team?

Same could be said about Burrows too, and Herbert. Not like their teams didnt have loads of talent around them too. You can read between the lines though when you watch how they play and tell if they are elevating the others or they are elevating him. They also played a helluva lot higher talent than Jodan love, so to me you got to see a lot more watching those games than watching Utah State. I saw enough of Jordan Love to know that he was talented, gifeted athletically, but way way far from a finalized product.

I can only answer what you wrote, but why can’t you compare what he did to Hurts, with the same supporting cast. Dilfer had that high school QB camp that he won, and responded to his criticism to come from back in the pack.

His Alabama tape shows how fast he gets rid of the ball, his progressions, pocket pressence, incredible stats and he wasn’t playing Rutgers when he won the national championship in style.

I hope Ken dismisses you from the jury lol. JK

The NFL game has pretty much become more and more like the college game, so I would expect to Tua to be able to transition fairly well. I’ll be watching to see if he can get the ball out on time. Fitz may not always throw the ball where it needs to go, but he usually gets the ball out on time. Teams are gonna bring the heat, and Tua will need to be ready to make quick reads and get rid of the ball.

Well the NFL is still adapting but it is so at a rapid rate and offensive signal callers are capable of running those systems now as no longer is it a poo pooed on concept, its being embraced. It had to happen eventually since thats whats coming out of CFB these days, and im glad we arent one of the last to embrace it.

i dont think Peyton to Miami would have solved anything. We didnt have the right team then, we were still pretty disfunctional as far has having everything put together correctly to have done what Denver did with him. Im not pissed at it, i didnt really expect it and i certaily think it would have been an expensive mistake for both parties.

Obviously we’ll never know what would have happened in the Peyton Miami era. We do now know that the reason we didn’t sign him (his health) wasn’t a factor in Denver.

I’m rooting for Adam Gase this week!

2 prime concerns i have with Tua.

he’s short by NFL standards, hell he’s even shorter than Fitz and Fitz is a runt!

his arm strength is marginal, that first naked bootleg he threw didn’t exactly impress me and those types of passes out to the flat are the ones that expose a marginal arm.

I had a slight problem with who he threw to, but not the 1st throw he made. The second one was his 3rd read and a thing of beauty.

When you have the fastest release, are accurate and read a D like he does his arm is plenty strong enough. He’s got more intangibles than Montana and a stronger arm.

On part two, i think there are enough here with a different evaualtion of that to set you as one of the few that agree with that man, not that i dont give you your respect (especially int he eyeball test, lol i kid i kid) but i think there is just something off about what your seeing. Im an SEC guy, he regularly made deep pass throws on the dot leading the reciever and with plenty of zip on it. LSU would have eaten him alive with that secondary if he had a marginal arm, its to me just isnt a fair eval.

He is shorter than most QB’s but he isnt shorter than a lot of the new kids. Murray, Brees, Mayfield, Wilson, and even Prescott, Jackson, Garopolo, Rodgers, all are only slightly taller at 6’2. Its oly a big deal if you make it a big deal…

Shorter has an advantage in pocket presence, but 6′ isn’t that short and he’s thick, so he can take a hit.

D,
    I think it was more because of all the changes that have been made in the rules and how they significantly favor offenses.

I agree. Try putting Lamar Jackson on the Browns of the 70s, he would’ve been smashed and unable to complete many passes.

That does probably play into it a lot. I mean if was stil back in the day when LT could lay you the fuck out anytime you handed off (or didnt) then yeah RPO would probably not be a thing. Still i has taken a long time since those change went into effect and they are just now getting around to it. Im sure you are right and i am as well. When the feeder system is playing those kinda plays to have the most success with their talent vs others, its natural you would try to adapt to take advantage of the same things that made those players successful in the past.

I felt the force of LT in Tahoe, even though there was no contact. I came out of the employee elcove at the same time he came around the corner, near miss. I felt like there was contact😏

I know we are fine at TE but man i would love to have Kyle Pitts on our team next year. Him opposite Geisicki would be a nightmare for defenses.

I have no problem with Fitz not being happy with the change right now. He hasn’t been playing poorly. You’re always told as a player that you don’t lose your job if you’re playing well. Flores has said he’ll play the guys who earn it. So, while I don’t like the things Fitz has said…and wish he’d kept it in-house, I get where he’s coming from. He has earned the starting job. We all knew he was a placeholder….but he has also earned his job. To have it taken away for the bright new shiny toy has gotta hurt….especially when you know it was probably your last chance to be a starter.

Unless he wants to force his way to the Cowboys. The red rifle was awful against AZ.

He just won two games in a row while playing well….. get exactly why it hurts. Would be real different if he was 32 and not 37 on a rebuilding team though. And he’s not like Joe Montana going to KC either.

Hang in there Fitz, they tried the same shit with Rosen.

103. Rhino says:

Before all the “drama” today, I must say that the 2nd half of Jets game had me real worried. Lots of people here also said it ‘felt weird’ despite 24-0.

Others have stated that the bye week was a good place so Tua gets 2 straight weeks of reps with first team. The BYE got moved up so it could be that this was the plan anyway.

Mostly, the info leaked before Flores could address the team. Someone is gonna get fired or fined for leaking it. Fitz is disappointed, I get it. But we all knew this was coming. I’ve enjoyed watching Fitz play, but its not like we are ‘benching’ a future HOF. We are benching a journeyman… he did his job and got paid for it. We don’t take a potential ‘franchise QB’ and NOT see what we have, and develop him (just like our rookie OL guys).

Yep — gonna let the kid play and see what he has. And — maybe more importantly — develop.

Don’t look for anyone to get fired cause of the leak though. You know where Adam Schefter gets info like this?….. players’ agents looking for a favor next FA period. Don’t think most likely suspects Tua and Fitz will get fired for talk’n to their guys before team meeting.

steveccnv says:
    October 21, 2020 at 1:33 pm

D says:
    October 21, 2020 at 1:35 pm
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

these qb debates are much like current politics, you defend your agenda at every turn throwing a blind eye to fallacies.

does he have marginal arm strength? check
    is he short? check

but that doesn’t matter.

maybe the Russians have something to do with this.

I would be thrilled if he was as good as russel wilson!

We have entered the Tua era and he’s a lefty.

Based on classic body definition and where they played before, Jackson is suited for LT and Hunt RT. Looking down the road and leaving Davis out of it……… do they switch up?

I doubt it. You compromise both guys asking them to switch sides, I believe they understood all this when they drafted them and will keep them both at their natural positions.

But up until now they were playing for a righty QB whatever they had in mind with Tua. Could be something you don’t see this year but do in the next off season. Or maybe not.

“Last year when Josh went in, that was a different situation. He was either going to sink or swim. I ended up back in the lineup. this is a different situation. I mean, you draft a guy fifth overall and put him in, this isn’t a temporary decision. This is a forever decision.”
    — Fitzmagic, who sounds like didn’t have much respect for Rosen

I dont think he doesnt respect Rosen, i think he is telling it like it is. Rosen was not a 5th overall pick for us, he was a trade for a 2nd round on a lets see how this goes kind of pick up. It didn’t go very well. If it had Fitz knows he wouldn’t have come back in after that. I think he is also kinda of tipping his hat to the fact that he doesn’t think that Tua is going to need him to go back in for him.

I was going on the tipping hat to Tua thing too. Don’t think he has much doubt. Well hat and the Rosen’s crash and burn didn’t seem to shock him. And thinking what Fitz saw in practice came first for him.

• Krishna says:

Well, that makes two of us, but what do I know? Rosen leadership skills were nonexistent and football IQ was sorely lacking from what I’ve read and sort of seen.

Krishna says:
    October 21, 2020 at 3:06 pm

He seems to me to be class a guy with a lot of pride and leadership. Nothing wrong with being hurt by this. Just shows he wasn’t ready this week for it.
    —————————————————
    I think when you are the point he is and the curtain is probably closing a little, its hard to watch it finally close. That last curtain call, etc is highly emotional for athletes who love playing their prospective game. Dont think i have ever seen more big men cry than at the end of their careers, so i mean, i bet he wished the day never came, and it was going to hurt no matter when it happened.

LOL Tht reminded me of the Jameis Winston, i good you good we good, just in the sense of the repetition of words, not in the stupidity of the comment lol. Between that and the eat the W thing makes me glad we didnt try to reboot his career in Miami. That and the 32 interception and 12 fumbles.

bookman11 says:
    October 20, 2020 at 7:57 pm
    I don’t see us losing another game……….ever

My first thought was “Man, I hope bookman doesn’t go blind because of this. Karma is a bitch.”

Herd. It looks like they were saying that some of the other players found out first through social media but Flores had informed Tua and Fitz himself at the same time.

• herdfan says:

Whatever, handled badly if you ask me. To say, oh, it leaked out before we had a chance to do it the right way with him or the rest of the team is bullshit. Either way, it shows lack of control over your organization and a total lack of class.

Probably should have been a meeting with the two of them to start and then a team zoom right after for the rest of the team. Cant speak for what went wrong there, but i agree it really should have been handled differently

I agree it appears this was handled very poorly. It’s a highly charged emotional issue, and IMO you make sure you get the word out properly because if you care about your payers you do it right.

It’s a teachable moment. I expect we won’t see this kind of mistake from this FO again.

• Krishna says:

Agreed Herd!

• Krishna says:

Agreed Cav.

Sets a bad precedent for how you treat your men, those that are fighting for you. Respect man!

Fucking respect…

Id be more encouraging Fitz to retire and go into coaching and grab up another guy in the draft to back up up. Someone like KJ Costello or Sam Ehlinger, leaning a little more towards the latter since he is a kinda movement QB, which i see closer relating to Tua than Costello which is more suited for pocket passing. With Fitz coaching, we could get one of those guys to be serviceable as a backup, and they would probably be good enough to make spot starts if needed.

“But I know how difficult it is to play the quarterback position and I know that that room is so important to the guy that’s playing in terms of everybody having your back and pulling in the same direction. So today’s the day to digest a little bit and we’ll get away for the bye a little bit.”

“But, yeah, once this thing starts up again, I’ve got to do my best for Tua to help him out. Because there’s two separate situations here. One is with Tua, and I want him to do well and I think he’s a great kid and I think he has a really bright future. And the other one is my feelings and just kind of what I’m going through. And that has to be separate from when I walk into this building and help him out. I’ve got to separate those feelings from trying to be a professional and help him out as best I can.”

You can’t ask a person for anything more than this. Once we get through this week, Fitz will have processed it, and will do and say all the right things. He’s just a smart guy like that.

I hope he continues to be involved with the Dolphins organization as a backup then a coach. He’s one of my favorite Dolphins ever, which I can’t believe I’m saying that about someone who played for the Jest. I’m still pissed at JT for playing in puke green for a year, lol.

And Bills, which is one of my hate forever teams, probably even more so than the Pats, and the Jets only sorta tie them.

I’ve never really despised the Bills like I do the Jest and Pets. I’m not sure why since they probably stopped us from getting to a SB or two in the early 90’s. I think it must be because I have a few Bills fans friends who aren’t douchebags, lol.

I’ve never known a Jest fan that I liked.

True story, my youngest daughter is a truly amazing person. Just someone that gets along with everyone and everyone likes. She has always been adored by all her teachers.

She had one teacher (4th grade) that just didn’t like her. My wife and I couldn’t understand what was going on. After talking with her in a conference, we left that meeting thinking “what a bitch”. We found out a couple of months later she’s a big time Jest fan, and suddenly it just made sense. LOL

I’m watching Tua’s press conference. Some numbnut reporter asked him if he threw the ball to Laird on purpose to go out of bounds, so he’d have more time to run plays.

SMH, the questions these guys ask. I wish more players and coaches treated these idiots like Belicheat does.

I understand Fitz being upset but I thought he’d be more on board about it. However if he found out on social media I could see why that bothered him. I believe he’ll get over it and be a good teammate though.

Wasn’t that one long suspension? Might have been longer than Roger Vick’s time behind bars. Talent plays.

There is the possibility his suspension gets extended. But if it doesn’t, one of these teams will sign him.

For throwing beagle puppies to rottweilers…. Now he gets to be on a prime time football show. That shit still sickens me. I fucking hate animal abuse and the sociopaths that partake in it.

I dont think he ever gets his act together long enough to get back to old form. Just wasting a roster spot and salary cap via dead money signing him, at least without 10 pages of clauses, like “will not have dick candy on person at any time.”

D- AB had a real nice game against us last year in his only one with the Pats, but the evil genius still didn’t keep him after seeing him for a while. Think mental illness is involved, but he might be on meds for it.

Way to support the program.
    ———————-
    LSU is banning Odell Beckham Jr. from its facilities for two years. Beckham was seen giving out $100 bills to LSU players on the field after LSU won the national championship back in January.

LSU initially claimed the money was fake, but Joe Burrow, the 2019 Heisman Trophy winner, said the money he received from Beckham was real. LSU later acknowledged it was real cash.

Randy – Fitz hasn’t played poorly but he hasn’t played well. I mean when you’re thinking of the top 10 QB’s this season, his 10 TD’s and 7 INT’s don’t put him in that conversation. We love the guy, but he’s been adequate. Our offense has left too many points off the board this season. SO while he hasn’t played poorly he hasn’t really elevated our team either. The one thing that worried me was the team is really behind him but it looks like they’re also behind Tua.

MikeE,
    Yeah, I would agree…although 14th ain’t bad for a young, rebuilding team learning a brand new offense. I look at more than just his numbers. I think he brought stability, a sense of calm to an offense that needed it. I think he was a really good veteran QB who helped this whole team have fun, be professionals and kinda ride the waves of a rebuild so far. I know he makes our OL look better than they are. But, I also don’t really care who they play at QB. It was gonna happen sooner or later. He’ll get on board.
    ***
    I also think the guy/player that Tua is reported to be helps you feel better about putting him in there. He’s supposed to be very mature and a great leader. I’m looking forward to watching him play. I think he can be really good…we’ll see. I can still feel bad for Fitz and recognize what he has earned and what he brings to the team. I certainly don’t think he’s played bad enough to lose his job. I wish he’d kept it to himself. I always wish players/coaches would keep everything in-house. But, if he learned it through the media….well, I guess I’ll say I get it, at least. Lol

Everyone keeps saying Fitz lost his job. Pretty sure he is still getting every check he is owed on his contract (unless there are incentives) and now he wont be getting hit by 300 lb guys. LOL sounds like and upgraded perk to me. 😉

Rock,
    Yeah….but players want to play, man…..and starting is a lot more important to players than fans may think. Ballers always want to be in there playing. That said, he gets a day or so to get over it and get with the program. Lol

He gets a week they don’t dont come in bye week

I know. Just trying to be funny. If MY boss came to me and said hey you can make the same amount of money and do less I would jump at it. LOL
      In the short lived world of the Not For Long league I know it must be emotional for it to happen. That said, he has been on 8 teams he has sat the bench a lot.

124. Krishna says:

Curious what Flo’s response to Fitz to a WTF?

125. Krishna says:

I don’t see how you endear someone to stay with you after you just blindsided them. Seriously?

I think that goodwill is lost, jmo.

Steve – was Fitz plenty good enough in the Jets game? He was good and bad in the Niners game, 18 points on FGs. He did throw 3 TDs but we should have scored 50+

127. Krishna says:

No, Mike E, he was not good enough last game in 2nd half. The team is 3-3. Who would have thought?

For me, it’s HOW it was done not that it was done. Flo fucked up.

Why would Fitz want to be part of any future with this team? Guess he wasn’t good enough to earn proper respect.

I was busy at work, I don’t know what went down with Flo and Fitz. What exactly happened?

Just a bunch of Omar and Mando over hyped shit!

Nothing new SOP!!!!!!

• Krishna says:

My understanding is Fitz heard of the change on social media before he heard it from Flores. If that is false, I retract all my statements. If it is true, I stand by them.

Maybe we will never know the truth.

I hope it’s not SOP. That’s BS.

Reports say Fitz and Tua were informed by the coach. Then it was the rest of the team that got it on social media before the coaches could tell them.

129. Rhino says:

Fitzpatrick will NEVER lead us to a Super Bowl.
    Tua was taken #5 overall to do that.

Why is everybody wringing their hands and languishing about how Fitz was treated… a 37 yr old journeyman who KNEW he was the place holder. The dude went to Harvard and NOW we say he was too stupid to see the writing on the wall when #5 pick was used on a QB who set the NCAA record for passing efficiency… (think of that).

We need to quit lamenting a journeyman’s existential reckoning with his mediocrity with flashes of brilliance. Let’s embrace the kid who could be brilliant EVERY week.

Debating Fitz vs Tua as a fan base? If this is the case, we deserve our misery. Thank you Fitz. You were useful (like at the OTHER 7 TEAMS you played for)…

Coach Flores AGAIN made the decision for the team. If any of you think Fitz is our best chance over Tua, then this franchised is fucked. We drafted Tua for a reason. Stick to the plan. No pussies allowed. damn.

Exactly, well stated

• Krishna says:

Missed the point entirely and went off on a tangent.

R E S P E C T.

It’s that simple. If Flores informed both Tua and Fitz together before anyone else, I’m good and no languishing. But, let’s miss the point again.

I just watched Fitz talk about it

And I think he’s just expressing how upset he is. And he’s allowed to have that. I don’t think it’s a problem for the team going foreword

Onward and upward with
    2️⃣🅰️ 👅🎻

Who’s ready for the Bye week Bi Babe?

My brain is in complete agreement with Rhino. As a guy that’s probably past his half-life, I feel really bad for Fitz. Really good guy and I wish he had more success overall, but glad we got a little over a year with him leading.

Fitz was solid this year but having 10 TDs to 7 ints is not going to lead you to winning football very often. I’m ready for our franchise QB to get this thing rolling.

Honestly think Fitz was just expressing how upset he was
      And he’s a competitor
      So there’s nothing wrong with being upset

• New Age says:

Yeah, I’d probably do the same thing and I’m sure it blindsided him since the team has played pretty well the last 4 games.

• Krishna says:

If that’s truly the case, I’m good! Probably, I was the first to SAY that.

Does anyone else think it’s weird that a sun is farting on the blog?

🌞💨

If you think about it, if Fitz got benched because he played poorly in two straight games or something like that it would be more of a negative towards him. He’d understand why he was benched but he’d probably feel worse because he let the team down. The switch was made on a positive note.

Going with Tua is because the coaches feel the time is right. Flores always puts players in the game he feels is what’s best for the team to win that game. Some players have played one week and not so much the next, even being inactive. The same applies here. Everyone knows what the QB situation is.

That said it’s time to be excited for Tua time. 🙂

• New Age says:

Not only that but the Rams are going in fairly blind about our offense with Tua. It’s a great time in the season to get him going. The Rams have looked pretty ugly this year so we have a solid chance of winning it.

Yeah and it’s not like Tua got the start due to Fitz being injured or benched for poor play, it was a team decision based on what they’ve seen from Tua as a competitor and teammate. It was a positive move. They think he’s ready.

—–

I agree with the first sentence, the second sentence contradicts the first one.

No one knows which QB gives us the best chance to beat the Rams, because Tua is mostly unknown. What we do know is playing Fitz will have a ceiling of playoffs, but no wins. We’ve seen it his entire career, he’s not consistent.

We may have to take a step back, to take a step forward.

• ocalarob says:

The problem with your argument is there’s 52 other guys on the team plus coaching staff, all Fitz could have done over his career is to control what he’s able to control.
        i don’t see fitz as having a “ceiling” when so many other factors and different teams are involved in the end result.

You’re entitled to your opinion.

Something missing from all of these reports is what Tua brings to the running game. The RPO should improve it.

Take the 2019 49ers, they had maybe the best rushing attack in the league, but they couldn’t just keep running the ball with conventional runs, even against GB in the championship game they dominated on the ground.

Our run playcalling has been too vanilla, with Tua I expect that to change, he gives us more options.

Sometimes I wonder if the folks on this blog have the same anger and angst in their real lives?

Or if this place is there WWE so they can play the “bad guy”? 😉

I wonder where we will stand on Nov 3rd?, No not the election but the NFL trade deadline. will we make some moves?

wyoming85 says:
    October 22, 2020 at 10:46 am (Edit)

Or if this place is there WWE so they can play the “bad guy”?

YES IT IS!!!! DAMMIT! 🙂

what surprises me about going with Tua now is Fitz is 3-1 over the last 4 games. not sure if upsetting that trend is a smart move however i don’t watch Tua on a day to day basis. it will be interesting to see how this works out.

If you can be honest about it Rob, the TEAM is 3-1, and Fitz has been pretty uneven all season, that’s how he is. The defense has been improving with leaps and bounds and THAT’S the difference. It’s not like Fitz has elevated his play to lead us to wins, that’s not at all what happened. I never saw Fitzpatrick as the most important piece of our team. His leadership can’t be taken for granted, but I think Tua will inspire the team as well. Every guy on this team knew this was coming, there is no divide, they are 100% behind Tua being the QB

• ocalarob says:

I understand that, a real feel good story but what happens when you get between the white lines will determine if this was a mistake.

Fitz has intangibles with his running ability to carry this team. at this point he’s a top 10 qb in the NFL. we are on a roll. not a good time to disrupt that roll,

will Tua be able to put his head down and take on DTs like fitz does? because that’s what has got us this far.

having to rely on that to get the job done seems to take away from the overall offensive talent we have and if Tua doesn’t have that intangible then he has to rely on that talent more than fitz does.

NEW BLOG UP!!!

Rob – Fitz’s running ability may have surpassed his passing ability. The way he was playing it’s surprising that he hasn’t gotten injured. he was a little reckless out there. We need to become a better passing team and I think that Tua will help us become just that.