Dolphins franchise presses reset button . . . Again!

I know Brian Flores wasn’t perfect, I watch all the games and see this team play every week. Once the Dolphins fired Flores, it’s amazing how quickly the negative stories came out. Look, some of them are probably true, and others are just silly. I’ll never know the veracity of all of them and frankly, it doesn’t matter. I was ready to hitch my wagon to Flores and for a decade or so. I mean as a Dolphins fan, you just have to be tired of the turnover here. We’ve seen this now far too many times since the new millennium. In 2000, Dave Wannstedt was our Head Coach. In 2005 Satan, er Nick Saban took over. In 2007 we got the Cam Cameron show for all of 1 year, and with his 1-15 record, one year too many. Then Bill Parcells came to town with his lazy uninspired plan to fix the Dolphins for owner Wayne Huizenga. He brought Jeff Ireland (GM), Head Coach Tony Sparano, and OC Dan Henning and DC Paul Pasqualoni. Thanks Bill for your efforts! Near the end of the 2011 season, Todd Bowles replaced Tony Sparano. In 2012, as if Bill Parcells grand plan wasn’t uninspiring enough, Stephen Ross hired Head Coach Joe Phibin. Joe somehow was allowed to muddle through 4 seasons here boring Dolphins fans everywhere. In 2016, we hired Head Coach Adam Gase, that of “Offensive Guru” status. We was offensive alright. Maybe Ross realized that he gave Philbin one too many so he cut Gase’s tenure at 3 years. In 2019 we hired the young, fiery defensive coordinator from the rival Patriots. Yes, another Belichick disciple. Flores was given only 3 years, perhaps once again harking back to Joe Philbin getting 4 years. If you’re wondering, since the year 2000, the Dolphins record is 176-183. Uninspiring.

I’m not going to touch any of the stories circulating regarding why Flores may have been fired. We saw the offense as an ineffective unit. Flores’ defensive pedigree had this team’s defense ahead of the offense during his 3 year tenure. Not that the defense was a championship level defense, it wasn’t, but compared to the offense it may have looked that way. Our offensive line has been an issue for years and despite Grier’s attempts to bring in talent to remedy the situation, drafting OT Liam Eichenberg in RD 2 (#42) in 2021, OT Austin Jackson in RD 1 in 2020 (#18), OG Robert Hunt in RD 2 (#39), and OG Solomon Kindley (#111) in RD 4. In 2019 we drafted OC Michael Deiter in RD 3 (#78). It’s certainly not due to a lack of effort, but our 2021 O-line was ranked dead last at #32. Truth be told, I feel we have talented players on that line, but Flores’ choice of Lemuel Jeanpierre seems to be the linchpin. This is a unit that must be fixed in order for this team’s offense to be successful. I hope whoever the new HC is realizes that a great veteran O-line Coach is necessary here. Notice how I haven’t once mentioned Tua? If I could talk to him, I’d tell him this . . .

So now the search begins, and I really don’t have a strong feeling as to who the new Head Coach will be. I have to admit I’m a little concerned that we didn’t clean house completely. If Chris Grier was fired as well, you find a GM and then that GM hires the new coach. Now, despite not getting fired, you have the appearance of a GM who may be on the hot seat hiring a new Head Coach and that makes the job less appealing. As if having 8 Head Coaches in the last 21 years isn’t unappealing enough!!! The good thing Dolphins fans, is that there are only 32 Head Coaching jobs and we have an opening, so there will be lots of interest regardless of the aforementioned pitfalls. We have a young, talented roster that some coach is going to be thrilled to take the helm of. Plenty of money in Free Agency will be available as well, close to $70M. We have a defensive unit on the rise with potential to be a top 10 defense if the offense gets on track. Some of that $70M will have to be used to re-sign our own players. DE Emmanuel Ogbah, TE Mike Gesicki, WR/ST Mack Hollins, TE Durham Smythe, LB Elandon Roberts and DB Nik Needham. RB Duke Johnson will probably be taken care of as well. I think Ogbah is the top priority, he’s been great since he got here and is an important piece of this defense. I think Gesicki should also be a priority but it depends on what type of TE the new HC is looking for. If he wants a receiving threat TE then Gesicki will be back. If he wants a blocking TE then it’s more likely Durham Smythe comes back and Gesicki goes elsewhere. Mack Hollins is becoming a better WR and is invaluable as a special teams player. I also hope we re-sign Nik Needham, I like that kid, and he always exceeds expectations.

Defensive players like CB Xavien Howard, CB Byron Jones, S Jevon Holland and S Brandon Jones will be sure to help lure a potential HC here. LB’s Jerome Baker and Andrew Van Ginkel as well, and of course young DE/LB Jaelan Phillips. On offense, rookie sensation WR Jaylen Waddle is a great start, but the falloff is big after that. Free agency and the draft are going to both be used to bring in talent at WR to complement Jaylen Waddle. Running back has to be a priority as well and if you know me, I want to draft one, not overpay for one in FA. Draft a RB early enough to procure one of the best RB’s in this draft, add in one of the holdovers like Myles Gaskin, re-sign Duke Johnson and pick up a FA RB that won’t break the bank. How we proceed at TE interests me. I’m very curious to see if we keep Mike Gesicki and/or Durham Smythe.

Here’s hoping we make the right choice for our new Head Coach, whomever he may be. Here’s hoping this new Head Coach can be successful enough to be here more than 10 years. Here’s also hoping we made the right choice retaining GM Chris Grier. Here’s hoping for a full recovery for our friend Jon “Stanger”. Here’s hoping for all of us to stay healthy in 2022.

#stangerstrong

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

1,390 Responses to Dolphins franchise presses reset button . . . Again!

People don’t hold resentment towards owner like fans do. I’m with Tim, he isn’t interviewing if he doesn’t like the guy. Also all hires are like that, adding to a resume. The real world of hiring and being hired is both sides are a means to an end, and it’s how the relationship builds between employer and employee that is the reason a person stays or leaves, that and compensation, which generally still depends on the relationship as well.

Here’s a good example of how a draft looks many years later.

GM Mike Mayock fired in Vegas.

D, SB got me second guessing my response to you, and I apologize if it was rude, I honestly thought I was being clever and funny in my retort. Hope we’re good.

And I don’t think there is anything wrong with not caring over a mid rd pick vs a late rd. That is never what this was about for me. The whole thing just kind of got bigger than it actually is. I’m not going to talk about it anymore, lol.

Beer me Tim 🍺😃

Did you guys hear that the Falcons are probably trading Calvin Ridley

What do you think they get for him?

D says:
    January 17, 2022 at 6:56 pm
    —————
    NO offense, but ya just contradicted yourself.

He said all hires are adding to a resume. You said Daboll just interviewing with us adds to his. Not really. He already has an extensive NFL resume. How is not getting a job prop him up, just because it was for HC? Okay, but he didn’t get it. I don’t think that shines a bright star.

This is from yesterday

I don’t really think the post is credible

But they give credit in the article to the person who first reported and then they say that they “confirmed it”

Which is a little different from just circulating a rumor

The post is actually saying they confirmed the report

The ‘word’, if you will, is that they want to team up as G-Men. Time will tell…

Usually these reports say something like “pff is reporting”
      This one goes beyond that,” _____ is reporting and the post confirmed it”

They can meet at the massage parlor

On the argument about it being no big deal selecting 26 instead of 17

Sure you can say great WRs or other positions are selected all the time outside of the top 20, but that’s not the point

The further down you are in the first, the less chance the pick is a great player

Otherwise, why would anyone ever trade up

Obviously a higher pick is more valuable

But it’s almost like a different pool at some point in the draft bc of positional value

The top half of the draft is usually heavy on other positions and when a WR breaks into it, it’s usually a couple of WRs who are head and shoulders above the rest

It’s not like sometimes a good WR is selected outside of the top 20 – it’s happens in almost every draft

It’s not a certainty – but if we are able to address the OL in free agency, you have your QB and your CBs place, and you come to a draft with your highest pick at 26 – the positions you are focusing on tend to be strong in the 20s and into the 2nd round

Yep! I’d go to battle with our current defense next year. We need an offense that scores 3 TDs PG more often than not. 17 and 20 points isn’t enough against the top teams in this league.

And with Grier picking we need all the help we can get

Where’s Peyton and Eli?

Hope I don’t have to listen to these FN a-holes

Thank god Peyton and Eli are on tonight

No matter who gets hired on as Miami’s head coach, their main objective will be to help Tua Tagovailoa become an upper-echelon starting quarterback in the NFL. It is very hard to win playoff games without one (just look at what happened to New England on Saturday).

Lol at the back handed stab at Jones

2018/2019 Tank for Tua
      2020/2021 Rank on Tua

Even though his stats are solid and has a winning record with a misfit offense. I mean seriously, we haven’t had an identity to build on. It’s starting now. It needs more talent. We have plenty of ways to upgrade the offense. It doesn’t matter who the new HC is, that has to happen.

Tua gets rid of the ball quickly most of the time. Build around quickness to get open. Add some more physicality in the run game. It can be done in one offseason.

Play 2 for the Rams playaction, after running for 35, good call

Hate when they call playaction on a for sure passing play, all it does is gives the QB less time to throw, because no one cares about the run

GA did a lot of that shit in the championship game

I believe now that Flores had to be fired, too much info has come out by so many people, that gives credibility to he was a cancer

Sony Michel pick 31
    Cam Akers pick 52

Piggy sweet spot lives on

Toba

The whole thing with Caldwell was just weird

Maybe Caldwell was just like “nope” after he saw Flores in action

• manitobafinfan says:

And he is working for someone else now I believe I heard … or I am sure some will say he saw Ross in action .. 🤷‍♂️

What that a lateral

Flores is getting a lot of criticism and I think he deserves it. You had a good thing going but you wanted to be king before even making the playoffs.

So here is Chris Grier’s mistake. He has to take responsibility for this group. He’s the main personnel guy.

This is what I saw.
    LT Liam Eichenberg – A rookie who got a lot starts and snaps at a few positions before settling in at LT for most of the season.
    Pros: He was durable and reliable and showed some promise.
    Cons: Struggled at times in both the run and pass game as most rookies do, welcome to the NFL type stuff.

LG Austin Jackson – 2nd year player who has really struggled at both LT and LG. He makes a lot of mistakes and gets called for a lot of penalties. Not sure why he’s not very good. I wouldn’t project him as a starter next year.
    Pros: He’s usually durable and reliable to play.
    Cons: He doesn’t play the game well on a consistent basis. I heard #73 way too often.

OC Michael Deiter – 3rd year player won the starting job out of camp then got hurt and missed a lot of games. Played down the stretch and was okay.
    Pros: He looks like he might be a quality versatile backup, but questionable as a starter.
    Cons: Fell down the depth chart in his 2nd season and couldn’t stay healthy in his 3rd.

RG Robert Hunt – 2nd year player who can be powerful but he also has his bad moments with his feet. I think he could still get better and he has to.
    Pros: He was durable and reliable and showed some promise.
    Cons: Struggled at times in both the run and pass game, has to become more consistent.

RT Jesse Davis – 7th year player who has been a versatile OL but he’s not particularly good at any of them. His value is with his versatility and he has NFL size. But he needs to be upgraded.
    Pros: He’s been durable and reliable to play since he’s been in Miami.
    Cons: He’s not starter level other than in a pinch.

It’s kind of ticky tack but Beckham avoided the hit rather than trying to score

I think the Rams would give Tampa a harder time than Arizona , plus I’ve always liked Stafford , so GO RAMS

bookman11 says:
    January 17, 2022 at 8:14 pm (Edit)
    Thank god Peyton and Eli are on tonight

Right? Thanks for the reminder. I was working! This is the problem with working from home. I get engrossed in something and forget the time.

Is there a way I can stream the Mannings without having ESPN?

I had Eli and Peyton on for 3 mins week one .. couldn’t stand it .. was quite happy found broadcast without them. To each their own 🤷‍♂️

Should be a TD

Cardinals look like shit

I had the Nickelodeon feed on 2nd tv yesterday, was interesting..

Sponge Bob fg had me weak

• manitobafinfan says:

Was kinda Kewl when he went smiley face when it was good … was really hard to see the ball though.. it was a good 10 secs behind the network feed so able to watch live , then turn head to see the Nick feed .. could never watch entire game solely on Nick

After Hopkins went out Cardinals offense has been miserable

Refs developing a new fuel injection system during the game

They reviewed it and then they are challenging it?

WOW!!!!

Dumb and dumber

lol … Dwayne Johnson drinking booze straight from the bottle

Is it just me, or should the challenge rules be changed?

I hate that if the Rams lost that challenge they would be out even though they got the 1st call correct. I think if you win a challenge, you should still have that challenge, and when you miss two, you’re done.

What a dumbass

That was crazy !!!

I never realized the 3rd challenge was it even if you win all 3. I thought as long as you win, you keep getting them. I just looked it up and you guys are right.

Ok, I’ll amend it then. I think if you win either of your 1st two challenges, you should automatically get the 3rd.

LOL, this game is crazy.

Murray is playing really sloppy.

This game is over

Who here wants us to build around Tua as opposed to moving on? Yea or Nay.
    Yea.

Rams look like they’re playing defense with 15 guys on the field.

Yea for at least one more year

If you win 3 challenges there’s something wrong with the officials. Pull them out and have replacements on hand! 😂

^

To fix that, you should get 2 failed challenges, so after each successful challenge it would be like you get it back, like you do with the timeout

So what does Tua have to do to get past one more year?

• manitobafinfan says:

Stay healthy, and after we get a real OL, show that it WAS the OL play that made our offence anemic

Is it team success or his personal stats?

• manitobafinfan says:

I’d say one would lead to the other , so both

Tim, he needs to pass the eye test and get us to playoffs, but hard to say that now, when we don’t know who the HC will be and what the team will be like

Make us feel like, when we need 1 score to win with 2 minutes to go we’re going to win

He’s probably going to be on his 3rd offensive system in 3 years…sigh…we still have a ton of issues to fix on offense including our oline and skill positions. I’m not sure what kind of expectations are realistic to put on him until we know what the new makeup of the offense is going to be.

Learn the new offense, execute new offense!

I am done watching this game

Build around Tua:
    OL that can actually make a block for more than a second as opposed to whiffing from the get go.

WR needs more quickness to get open fast like Waddle. Double or triple up if we can.

TE not sure Gesicki for the money he’ll probably be offered, fits building around Tua. He’s not a quick twitch receiver. I think we might go to a TE by committee with Smythe, Shaheen and Long etc. where they sneak out from time to time.

RB we have some good backs but not a lot of special or power. Add more talent.

We have the cap space and draft capital to totally revamp the offense.

*If we lose Gesicki in FA to a big contract we will likely get the coveted comp pick in 2023, maybe even a 3rd! 😉

Sigh.. k Rams score here and I’m out 🧐

Starting to look like a hockey game is gonna break out

Wife just pointed out 1/2 the card players have Red Sox, and 1/2 have white

That’s it NFL throw a flag for holding to keep the TV audience

So there’s why the Cards went for 2, a Rams fg keeps it a 3 score game

Think that’s game.

Yep Goliath time

It’s crazy how many blowouts there have been this weekend.

Odds are if we were in the playoffs we would have been blown out. We would have played the Chiefs, and unless our defense had a day, it would have been a similar outcome to what happened with the Steelers.

• sb7mvp says:

And I would have been fine with that. Instead, we are in the middle of a coaching search and wondering where this team is headed as a franchise.

I wouldn’t have been fine with getting blown out, but I know what you mean. I’d probably be just as disappointed with a shitty effort like I was against TEN. Someday, hopefully I’m able to enjoy it when it happens, this team will be able to win big games

SB – If 1/4 of the things about Flores are true that are coming out now, I’m glad he’s gone.

• sb7mvp says:

Yeah, it’s hard to tell, but most seems like a BS smear campaign because Garfinkel and Grier got their feelings hurt. We’ll never know. I just hate being in limbo again, especially when there aren’t any clear upgrades out there to replace him.

Unless there’s a wide conspiracy, which I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of doing, it’s pretty safe to say Flores had issues with his staff and didn’t play well with others

With that said, Ross did what he had to

If he had stayed we would’ve been stuck in the mud, year after year with coaching changes and stupid player changes

Word would’ve gotten out, and probably already did, which might be why we don’t have a real OC and OL coach

If we had beat Tenn, we would’ve been the 6th seed, KC would’ve been first seed dropping Tenn to the second

We would’ve been playing in the frigid air in Buffalo, and we would’ve gotten spanked like the cheats did in all likelyhood

I think we would have got beat bad by either, no difference. Flores never showed he had his team prepared for a big game so I’m not crying that he’s gone. I still think he could be a good coach, just like I think Tua can be a good QB

Flores is a good coach, but until he changes that belicheatian attitude he’ll never be anything more than what he was with us

I don’t believe half the crap written about Flores and his departure. Do I suspect there are some kernels of truth in what has been reported but I am sure there are many more angles to it than what we are being told

Hard to believe the stuff about Flores and Watson isn’t based on the truth, the truth that Flores does want Watson to be his QB

With that said, it’s easy to believe Flores doesn’t care too much for Tua

That’s one side of the problem with Flores

The other side is him being disliked by enough people in the organization for it to be an issue

Whether he was or not doesn’t really matter, the fact that his coordinators kept leaving likely says its true, but either way too many people didn’t seem to like him and why the turnover

KVN and McKinney didn’t see eye to eye with him either causing them to get cut, which hurt us early in the season

I haven’t been able to watch a comedy series in nearly 20 years, but I just started watching Silicon Valley. This show is hilarious.

When people talk about Flores, just like some TV programs, they juice up the story to make it interesting

For that reason, I don’t take everything someone says as truth or care if it is, I’m not looking for 1 exaggeration to prove its not true, because I want it to be untrue, I’m looking for the point of what they’re trying to say, then look at things that make it more likely than not

We heard for 3 years how great the FO got along, but we knew they kept the dirty laundry in house

Really hard to believe that now, with the Watson interest by Flores seemingly true

Ken, you said you don’t believe half of what was written about Flores and his departure

Why don’t you?

I find it hard to believe that a HC would actively try to undercut his starting QB as is being reported

• bailbondmike says:

That’s the part I don’t believe. He wanted to win just as much as anyone in the organization, IMO. I do believe he wanted Watson for the future and the FO entertained the idea. Feeling I get is there was no deal in sight and the FO decided it was time to move on with Tua and shut that idea down and Flores wasn’t happy about it.

How soon you forget what Philbin did to Tannehill

61. bailbondmike says:

Keeping in mind fixing OL in FA. I traded down from 26 to 32 and picked up 64 because I thought Dotson was already gone. Luckily, he was still there at 32.

32. Jahan Dotson WR Penn State
    50. Kenneth Walker RB Michigan State
    64. Brandon Smith LB Penn State
    100. Alec Pierce WR Cincinnati
    117. Thayer Munford OG/OT Ohio State
    121. James Cook, RB Georgia
    156. John Ridgeway DT Arkansas
    200. Zach VanValkenburg EDGE Iowa
    221. Skylar Thompson QB Kansas State

Added 2 WR’s who run in the 4.3’s. Also doubled down on RB but don’t see that really happening.

CavalierKong says:
    January 17, 2022 at 1:35 pm
    SB, to give you a real answer to what I think you’re asking…D and I have bantered strong in the past and he banters and busts chops very well. He busted my chops and I think he’ll take my post in the spirit intended.

If I misread him, then I’ll apologize right now. I saw myself as giving a good defense of my point of view while strongly returning his banter at the same time, but if it comes off as mean, it honestly wasn’t intended that way.
    —————————————————————-
    Yeah i was joking when i started talking about big girl panties etc. I didn’t find anything you said offensive, i can see how it could have seemed like ya finished aggressively but no harm no foul. I actually jumped in middle of the argument and was tacking on a “don’t sweat it” comment, because int he past we have beleaguered lots fo points of oh we don’t need to win this game because we will lose a spot in the draft or whatever lol, i just find it funny that we have yet to either draft a player or miss out on a player that would have significantly change the outcome of our team since the problem we have had doesn’t seem to be related to what position we pic in the draft but rather the execution on the field or lack of effective leadership.

• sb7mvp says:

I guess I should have made it known I was joking as well. The conversation seemed to be one of those where someone is accused of being defensive when they are not, which automatically makes the person defensive. Denying that they aren’t being defensive just confirms they are, so the person can’t win.

True lol. Its one of the more beautiful argument catch 22’s.

Well the timing set me up beautifully because I had mulled over whether my comment was too much or not before posting it, so even though I did consider for a second you might be joking, I dismissed that pretty quickly and just assumed you were pointing out I was being a dick, lol.

26. Treylon Burks/Jameson Williams WR Arkansas\Alabama
    Ones a Devonte clone, big guy, good speed, possession and 50/50 guy. Good redzone. Other is a larger Waddle type, maybe not quite as dynamic.

50. Brian Robinson/Zamir White RB Alabama/UGA
    Ones a downhill guy, trucker, and the other is a more elusive runner, good when he gets in the open. Possible could get white in the 3rd, kinda depends on how he shows up at combine.

100. Wandale Robinson WR UK, Kaiir Elam CB UF
    Kinda depends on the offseason at those two positions. If we gut the WR group, which we probably should we add back a Devonte, with Burks and Fuller with either Williams or Robinson. If we have trouble getting some CB’s resigned and/or cant get anything out of Igmahogany with this coaching change, we grab Elam as a guy with boundary ability. Im not sure wth his speed if Robinson makes it this far but i have seen him rated 2-3.

117. Jamaree Salyer/Thayer Munford OG/OT UGA/Ohio State
    Both are really solid picks at this point and good players with experience ad both positions.

121. maybe the other one that we didn’t take out of the pair listed above. Need some OL to develop.

Ill stick with the rest of yours BBM to round out. I have done enough of a deep dive to really get into those rounds, though i do like Ridgeway, but kind of expect him to go a little sooner.
    156. John Ridgeway DT Arkansas
    200. Zach VanValkenburg EDGE Iowa
    221. Skylar Thompson QB Kansas State
    ——————————————————————
    this would be mine as an early mock, Im a fan of trading down i just haven’t looked at scenarios to figure out who would be a potential partner.

Bills’ fans are pissed at Stefon Diggs for going to the Cowboys vs 49ers game, shown during and after the game with no mask

At least he didn’t go see Spiderman

65. ukfinfan says:

#Geekwatch

I really LIKE this guy, Mike McDaniel! However, he’s Joe Philbin. He’s behind the scenes in creating the plays, but he doesn’t call the plays… never has.

Asking for a friend: is anyone here still a fan of the ‘Wide-9′ concept? You’d get a HELL NO from me, and that’s one of the reasons Vance Joseph must not become our next HC.

Robert Quinn, anybody? 18.5 sacks this past season with Da’ Bears (w/o the ‘Wide-9’), 6.5 sacks as a Phin (16 games) with ‘Wide-9’ Joseph as DC. Then Matt Burke continued the ‘Wide-9’ for two more years after Joseph.

We don’t need to revisit the ‘Wide-9’ ever again… especially with how good our Defense has become since the departures of Joseph and Burke.

January 17, 2022 at 8:08 pm
    ——————–
    All 3 of us are talking about possibilities here. My main point is that even should Ross decide to hire Daboll as our next HC, Daboll has the right to turn it down. Daboll’s resume looks even better, being he was interviewed for another a HCing job (see Eric Bieniemy), without taking the job offered him.

I’m sayin’… Daboll doesn’t HAVE to accept our HCing job, just because it could be offered him: I’m looking at this matter in 3D, not 2D.

All of that stated, I HOPE Daboll gets and wants the job!

It sounds like Daboll could be heading to the Giants especially if they hire Bills Asst. GM Joe Schoen. That’s the latest of what I’ve been hearing in local news.

68. bailbondmike says:

D, good breakdown. I really like Burks also for some reason. He has that potential to be a monster.

You might have to take Elam at 50, been hearing him being talked up lately.

You are right about Ridgeway. I don’t think he makes it past 4th round. You could take him with your 121 pick.

I don’t know much about VanVaulkenburg other than I watched the Iowa/KY bowl game and remembered his name called a bit. Had 2 sacks that game but only 5.5 on the season with 9 total last 2 seasons.

The issue with any defensive system is you can’t do one thing over and over. Teams will exploit it. Most teams these days use a lot of different formations. The same with offenses.

You’re talking about our 0-Blitz, aren’t you? Yes… I agree.

I was referencing the wide 9. It’s really a pass rush scheme. But you can’t play it exclusively. Just like we didn’t play cover 0 all the time. You have to mix it up based on what you think your strengths are and what your opponents weaknesses are. I’m not sure any defense plays a strict system anymore. It’s all about matching up with the spread offenses. At the end of the day, you need talent in any scheme. Not every team can play cover 0 like we do. You have to have the corners, safeties and LBs that can cover man.

70. bailbondmike says:

D, as far as the QB, I think we need a really good prospect to bring up behind Tua.

Skylar Thompson is worth a late round pick but all the draft sites I have seen list him as an UDFA. I don’t know why he is not getting any love from all the draft gurus out there. He played well against good teams, 2021 vs. #6 OK, 29-41, 320, 3 TD, 0 INT in a 37-31 loss but in 2020 beat then ranked #3 OK 38-35 and was 18-25, 334, 1 TD 0 INT and 3 rush TD’s. Career he has 42 TD’s to 16 INT’s and 26 rush TD’s.

Nothing wrong with developing a young QB that isn’t a blue chip prospect. But Tua being a young QB himself who is also developing, I think a guy who has some game experience is the better way to go for a backup QB. Having to play a green young QB who’s not really considered a potential starter usually ends up in losses.

• bailbondmike says:

I agree, but the free agent pool is not that great. He would be good to bring up even if just to stash on PS and see how he develops. Worth a 7th round pick, IMO.

• bailbondmike says:

We can get a FA QB to be backup (not named Brissett) but they will never be more than what they are. Just looking at bringing one to develop and see if he turns into something.

That I agree with. But not as a the #2 backup. I’d also move on from Brissett. I have no confidence in him. I thought he was better than what he showed this year.

Regarding the reports that Flores had Tua tested for PEDs my understanding is that is BS. I was reading today that a team cannot independently test their players. Pursuant to the collective bargaining agreement all testing is to be done by the league. The team cannot ask a player to be tested. I don’t know if Tua was tested by the league or not but if he was it was not at the direction of Flores.

Yeah I’m not buying that one. I think the simple reason he was fired was because he alienated himself from others acting like he was the only voice in the building. It wasn’t because he can’t coach or the status of the offense. It was all about communication and working together cohesively. The same reason Jim Harbaugh was fired in SF and he had more success than Flores did.

• bailbondmike says:

Yeah, that sounded bogus as well.

We’re interviewing Dan Quinn this week for HC and he’s been rumored to be the favorite in Denver. He is the most proven HC candidate available. He’s an excellent defensive coach and is known to be a good culture builder. He works well with people.

\
    mf13ss says:
    January 18, 2022 at 3:38 pm

****

I dont think Philbin’s only issue was not calling plays
    Can we stop making this comparison

I don’t really think calling plays is a huge issue here
    He might hire an OC if he’s the HC, and the OC will call the plays anyway

I don’t really think it matters

As long as he doesn’t hire 3 or 4 play callers….lol

Philbins defenses were pretty bad
    He gave speeches off index cards
    And his first year was clouded by the Jonathan Martin thing which was mishandled across the board by the Dolphins
    And I’m Philbins final year, he let Lazor install his own offense, so Philbins wasnt really a behind the scenes scheme guy or some kind of offensive genius that didn’t call plays. He was kind of just there

He just wasn’t ever suited to be a head coach
    He wasn’t attached to a particular offense
    He was useless on one side of the ball (defense)
    And he really just didn’t have much of a presence at all

I don’t think it’s fair to McDaniel to call him the sequel to Philbin just bc McDaniel doesn’t call plays

I agree with you the comparison is not necessarily fair but I do think the lack of play calling experience is a negative. Not a disqualification but a negative imo

Agreed. Play calling isn’t a sudden decision. It’s been game planned and worked out based on game situations all week. It’s never one guy either. There is constant communication. All the coaches involved know what the play is and why they’re calling it. It’s not like playing Madden. LOL

Leslie Frazier is the other HC candidate I like. He was a really good CB for one of the most historic defenses of all time with the 85 Bears. He’s got a lot of coaching experience since 1999 in the NFL, has been a DC multiple times and has been a HC. He runs an aggressive defense in Buffalo and would likely continue that with our defense. His main challenge would be finding a good OC to help us get to another level on offense.

My preference is to focus on the offensive side of the ball and keep Boyer but Frazier is a well qualified candidate

I hear ya, but if Frazier hired a good OC who can help get this offense to another level that could work too. I think he would keep our defense ascending.

We all know on offense, we need more talent. That has to happen regardless of who the next HC is. 13-20 points most of the time is not enough. A couple of nice drives per game is not good enough. We need better players in a lot of areas.

In response to an earlier post from Piggy about the trade value of Calvin Ridley I was just reading in Dolphin Nation that the expected cost is a 2nd round pick

It’s been said here already but I’ll repeat it I would prefer them to get an offensive coach and try to keep our DC

Not sure if that’d work but I like our D and if we kept continuity at least on that side of the ball we will e that much closer and ready.

Pigster,

I’m sorry, but promotion from the Joe Philbin role of creating plays without having ever called plays — to HC — is a non-starter for me, in regards to Mike McDaniel.

He should probably get promoted to actual signal-caller first, as an OC… and he hasn’t even crossed that bridge.

That’s where I’m coming from, strictly. Perhaps it’s not cool to compare McDaniel to Philbin, but it is what it is in the broader scope of things (experience). We can ALWAYS agree to disagree, Bro!

Plus, with Mike McDaniel’s lack of experience… will he be able to form an elite staff? I don’t think so. JMO

Philbin was at least able to fall back on Mike Sherman… and even that didn’t work out so well.

That’s the question about most guys, Daboll included in that. Will they be able to assemble a quality staff. I suppose the only ones who would know would be Grier and those coaches. I would imagine those would be stock questions in the interview, who would you be bringing in for OC, DC, ST’s, OL, DL etc.

Mike E,

Daboll has the experience and credentials to bring in a decent supporting cast as his staff.

We all know the OL has to get better and I don’t care who those players are. Whatever is better is good with me. Then Tua has to take another step on decision making. We need another WR to keep teams off of focusing on Waddle. He is so quick and fast and we turned him into Landry. Nobody else on offense scared anyone. Yeah they could make some plays like everyone else, but it didn’t lead to scoring 30 points often. We were sort of a hosh-posh offense.

We need more go-to-guys. Not who got it this time. It’s okay to have a lot of players who contribute, but other than Tua and Waddle, who is more important than them on offense? I’m building around them. There is not one other player that can’t be replaced. We need to add more special. I want us to add another Waddle type. Someone who can make a defense say fuck… now there are two of them. LOL

Parker and Gesicki are nice big receivers. But they don’t break games open. We’ve watched it for 4 years with them both here. What have we won? I like Parker and he’s affordable right now. I’m not paying Gesicki top TE money because I think he’s limited. He’s a gallop guy. Our offense should be quick strike and setup deep routes. I think Smythe, Shaheen and maybe Long or someone else without paying big money could be productive at TE in the passing game.

For me investments in upgrading the OL and WR should be the priority. More explosive plays in the passing game. I think we’ve all seen that with a good OL a myriad of RBs can be productive. That said, not against a jolt of special at the position either. A really good RB could make a difference too. I like Rashaad Penny in FA. The talent is there. Staying healthy has been an issue.

79. bailbondmike says:

You really think Calvin Ridley is worth a 1st or 2nd round pick???

He left the team after the game against us where he only had 4 receptions on 10 targets for 26 yards and 1 TD. He left and didn’t play again all season.

“Ridley, who did not play after Week 7 to focus on his mental health, has not contacted members of the Falcons’ front office regarding plans for next season, Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports.
    Spin: There’s still very little information regarding Ridley’s abrupt leave of absence from the Falcons and it doesn’t seem as if the franchise or player has any intentions of accelerating the issue anytime soon. Garafolo even went on to say it’s possible both sides could mutually seek a trade this offseason, though that’s by no means something that has been confirmed by either party. The 2018 first-round pick had his $11.12 million fifth-year option exercised this past offseason, though it remains to be seen if that compensation would be fully guaranteed given that distinction is normally reserved for injury only. The 27-year-old finished the 2021 season with 31 receptions for 281 yards and two touchdowns across five games.”

His best season was 2020 with 90 receptions for 1374 yards and 9 TD’s. BUT, that was being targeted 143 times with ONLY 90 RECEPTIONS. He only caught 53.8% of balls thrown his way last year.

Clearly, something was not right with him going back to last year. Wonder how many drops he had last year to have that 53.8% reception rate.

M – Dan Quin does too, but in reality, we have no idea who they would want, and be able to bring in. Who knows, maybe one of the young guys like McDaniel has good contacts and can bring good people here. I have no idea.

Yes on Tua, if they gave Tanny 7fucking years they should at least give Tua 5. He has played better and shown more improvement in his first 2 than Tanny did. Now I thought they probably should have cut out with Tanny after 5 after start out a big fan, and even though I think we are seeing more growth from Tua I’d still say if we are questioning is he the guy after year 5, we need to be getting on with things. Now maybe we bring in some strong competition after next year, but I’m not for going through what we did with Tanny who also kinda got shit on by his coaches too.

This guy could be there when we pick in the 1st round with the 49er pick that is beyond the moon. LOL

Seriously though, he’s similar to Waddle. I want two of them in 2022.

steveccnv says:
    January 18, 2022 at 1:28 pm
    Lol, you want to trade down!

Weren’t you saying yesterday it didn’t matter what pick we had in the 1st?
    ————————-
    No what I said was the quality player etc at 20 vs 26 wasn’t enough to sweat the difference on reference to complaints over SF’s win. That’s where it started at least.

Now couple that with trading down…

I get what you are saying but in trade scenarios 20 vs 26 varies very little on the interest and value in return on that trade. This draft is weak and there probably won’t be a lot of motivation to trade up unless it’s all the way up because the very top is shallow.

Wide 9 is a fine system if you have a ILB thats a complete stud as Seattle has/had when they really popularize it. You have the right guys at a couple of key spots and it’s a terrifying system. Don’t have those guys and it’s equally terrifying.

What I Daboll or Frazier were named our HC and brought the other along as his coordinator

Who is the top prospect in this years draft? Is the top 15 so good I can’t believe we lost out? LOL

Instead of preference, who do you think will become our new HC?

Ridley runs sick clean routes and is one of the best players I ever saw in college at creating separation out of his breaks. I don’t know if his injury messed up that but if completely recovered, I could see a second for him. We used a second on a player who was similar, and not as athletic.

89. bailbondmike says:

Tim, I really like Dotson if he is there. I worry he climbs draft boards and is taken before Jameson Williams due to William’s ACL injury.

Burks is a beast. If we were to miss out on all the others, I would go with Burks who is 6’3 a whopping 232 and runs a 4.45.

If Arkansas had a decent QB you would have heard a lot more about him.

LOL @ Bookman…nice

91. bailbondmike says:

Ken, I hear Jalen Nailor might enter the draft. He is project to run a 4.39.

92. ElephantRider says:

Say no to Ridley. Bess 2.0

I’m not keen on this franchise already with their continued acquisition of players that have shown some issues or repeatedly injured.

I get not wanting to invest in Ridley. But comparing him to Bess is not accurate. He’s more like Isaac Bruce.

• ElephantRider says:

I meant mentally. Nobody seems to know what’s going on up there

I know he was a protect of mine in my FFL this year. He seems to want out of ATL but I don’t know the extent of it. He’s a really good WR when his head is in the game though.

93. ukfinfan says:

Interesting stat:

Ridley has no injury. Head case. Personally, I wouldn’t want him at any price. He quit on ATL, he’ll get mad wherever he goes and quit there too. Miami seems to have finally built a team mentality – why bring in malcontents and ruin that.

I don’t want Dan Quinn or Leslie Frazier. To me, those are guys who are decent DC’s when they have the talent, but aren’t guys who are going to be could at running the whole team or are they able to bring the most out of average talent. They’re the Norv Turners and Mike Nolans of the world. I have a feeling that the team wants Daboll and is brought in Frazier as a Rooney Rule candidate.
    When you look at our team, we have talent, but it’s just decent to above average talent. We have one superstar in X and it’s possible that Holland, Waddle, or even Phillips get there. We have several C+ to B+ range, but it’s really not close to a championship roster, especially on the offensive side of the ball.
    It’s a watered down league. Playoff/ Championship coaches need to know how to assemble staffs and get the most out of the whole roster. I don’t see that Quinn or Frazier. We also have the problem of Grier at GM who conistently passes over generational talents to grab guys who are just ok to slightly good. This last draft class is TBD, but so far, he has shown to be every bit of a Parcells acolyte.
    That’s why I would put Pederson over the rest of the available candidates, although I don’t think we’ve tried to interview him. He’s shown he can assemble a staff and get the most out of talent. He’s won a Super Bowl. I don’t know if he’ll be able to get back there, but I believe he can get us closer than anyone else. Plus, with his RPO experience, he’ll be able to get the most out of Tua. After Pederson I would go Daboll then Kellen Moore with the slight edge over McDaniel, simply because of experience. I just don’t have much hope for anyone past Pederson.

• boulderfinfan says:

Didn’t Dan Quinn go to the Superbowl? and if he’d just ran and kicked the field goal he would have won that super bowl 🙂

96. ukfinfan says:

Hope he blew his candles even half as well as he blew his blocking assignments!

Brian Baldinger (Baldy) was just on WQAM. He says Dolphins should be calling Aaron Kromer (former Bears OC and OL coach and run game coordinator for the Rams). He took a year off this year but Baldy says he’s a quality OL coach that the Dolphins could obviously use.

We play next season at SF and LAC, that’s a lot of travel in years we play neither division, additionally we play at Chicago, Baltimore and Cincinnati

Travel west and play in cild

On Wednesday, the Dolphins are set to interview McDaniel. They have Quinn and Moore on Thursday. Joseph and Brown will interview on Friday.

Daboll and Frazier both interviewed this past Sunday, so that takes care of all of the current coaches that have been requested. If there are no surprises, the Dolphins could have this search wrapped up soon.

This is McDaniel explaining how he explains to the WRs the importance of blocking

I’m trying not to to have a favorite in the coaching applicants

Bc really – you just don’t know until they are on the job

But in terms of vision for the team: I love McDaniel and his emphasis on the running game. I think that’s the best direction for our team to go at this time.

I don’t care that he hasn’t called plays – if his vision is the right vision for the team, I think that’s much more important

I do not think we are a coach away from having a 4500 yard passing season

If your bread and butter is the run game, you don’t need to throw for 4,500 yards.

I know

Really just a little balance can help your passing game be more effective

I think a big time running game is perfect for us, provided we can continue to play defense

Thoughts?

Pretty funny Arians got fined 50k for smacking his own player during the playoff game with the Eagles.

Piggy, I’m trying to not root for a HC candidate either. I’m going to root for whoever we hire so what’s the point. LOL

SB7, I don’t think Frazier is just a Rooney Rule candidate. We’re interviewing Vance Joseph and Thomas Brown too.

Stanger update:
    Jon is still in the hospital dealing with a kidney infection but that seems to be headed in the right direction. He is eating solid food again. They are apparently planning for discharge to inpatient rehab for him to work with PT and OT but I don’t know the timing for that

I can’t read the articles because I don’t pay for it but here are 3 recent Omar articles. He always uses question as titles.

“Is this another complete rebuild for the Dolphins?”
    “Are the Miami Dolphins a complete rebuild?”
    “Are Dolphins too committed to Tua Tagovailoa?”

I will say this, why would we be a complete rebuild? You just build on the young roster we have. It’s not a team void of talent even though we do need some upgrades specifically on offense.

There was a time, years ago, when we hired Parcels, where this was an entire campaign of how we were in a rebuild and the fans had to be Patient

And now every time we’ve switched coaches, they talk about the team in the same context

But people forget, we had the #1 pick in the draft then

No none else (Flores, Gase, Philbin) has really campaigned as being in a rebuild process – although Flores’ 1st year felt like wiping the slate clean in many ways

Whomever the coach is is probably expected to look at our roster and explain his plan by using that roster

Yeah and the makeup of this team is not in rebuild mode. They just need to add some better players in some areas and then play better overall. It’s actually an attractive situation for HC candidates with draft capital and cap space.

wyoming85 says:
    January 19, 2022 at 2:28 pm

—————-
    To me, this is a no-brainer. I used to play Madden like a MFer, and I ALWAYS made sure in a fantasy draft that I selected a run-blocking WR, along with a run-blocking TE.

REMEMBER what I’ve been saying for many years now: POSITIONAL VERSATILITY. It’s one of the reasons why Belicheat* and the Stealers* have had so much success over the years.

In the early 2000s as a Madden player, I’d always be sure to draft WR Joe Horn and TE Mark Bruener for their run-blocking prowess (Hines Ward would always go too early for my liking). Additionally, I’d always draft a successful run-blocking FB (Dan Kreider, I believe).

My Offense was ALWAYS set up to be pass-first… but I also knew that if an opponent was able to successfully shut my aerial assault down, I’d have to rely on my running game. I’d always go with 2 RBs who are fast and furious (never going with an A++ RB), and 2 RBs who are bruisers (never going with an A++ RB).

If my O-Line sucked, I was done for, regardless… something I learned, COUPLED with watching REAL football over 3 decades now and coutning. My O-Line is what made me win, regardless of the QB I drafted.

If ya can’t move the ball through the air, you’d better DAMN WELL be able to move the ball on the ground… and vice-versa.

I really like this kid, Mike McDaniel… but he lacks any kind of experience on game day, so as to promote him from Pointdexter behind the scenes (Joe Philbin) to an NFL HC… and I’m no different, truth be told. JMO

I don’t think comparing McDaniel to Philbin is fair. It’s basically an insult to him. He’s not the same person. I have always felt play calling is overrated. It’s not like you need a degree in physics to call plays. When you see those color coated cards that coaches hold during games, what that is are game situation cheat sheets for plays that were game planned during the week for that opponent. Calling plays is not a spur of the moment thing. Lots of work goes into that. Of course during a game you bring out some wrinkles that you think could work. But it’s not overly complicated.

I truly understand where you’re coming from, but I fundamentally disagree. Perhaps it’s time to bring in a HC who actually has real NFL experience and knows what he’s doing (ie: Brian Daboll)?

What Steve Ross continues to do is the very definition of insanity, minus Brian Flores. JMO

It continues to KILL ME that Ross fired Brian Flores… looked as though he finally got SOMETHING right with a hire. It is what it is and I’m past it now, but Ross shouldn’t overthink this one.

I’m with you on experience and not sure McDaniel is ready to be the top dog. But play calling is not my concern.

As for Flores, I think it’s pretty obvious he got himself fired. Not because he can’t coach, but because he didn’t work well with others. Not because he hurt anyone’s feelings, but because he showed disrespect to others in the organization. Remember one of the reports was he talked to Ross in a disrespectful way. That’s never good to do in any job. You don’t do that to an owner or a person that can fire you.

M13, when you say Ross shouldn’t overthink this, what do you mean?

# stangerstrong..

Keep up the progress Mr Stanger .. we are all pulling fir ya …

Thanks fir the updates Ken … sounds again, Very Encouraging

Stay strong, Stang!

113. ElephantRider says:

Let’s go Stanger!

114. ElephantRider says:

If reports are true about Watson only wanting to play for Flores, I’m thrilled Flores is gone!

Not who you like, who do you think will become our next Head Coach?

Was just watching a bit on Tony Gonzales and Travis Kelce. Gonzo asked him how do you move like that and Kelce said it’s all in the hips. That’s the difference between him and Gesicki. Kelce is more fluid in his movements where Gesicki is more about top end speed using his height, jumping ability and hands to make some chunk yardage plays. But Kelce makes plays on any route, he’s the best YAC TE in the league.

Was watching some video of Hunter Long at BC in 2020. What I see is a guy who runs good routes, gets open and has good hands. I don’t think he’s on a Kelce level or a guy who will make some of the great athletic plays that Gesicki does. I see him as a better receiver than Smythe and a guy who can really help a QB out by getting open for positive yards even if not big plays. He helps move the chains.

He’s a good prospect that likely has to get stronger and improve his game quickness at the NFL level. But he is 6-5 250+ with solid receiving skills.

I’m doing this TE exercise because my gut tells me we’re not re-signing Gesicki. I’m not against re-signing him, I just don’t think we will. He’ll get a big money offer from some team that we won’t match. Just a hunch.

What do you all think about Germain Ifedi 6-5 344 as a FA RT?

A former 1st round pick in 2016 with Seattle, he’s played in 85 games and started 83. He’ll be 28 in June. Played with the Bears the last 2 seasons, got hurt (knee) and missed a lot of games this year but came back in December. He’s also played RG.

I don’t have a favorite in the HC search because if I did it would only be something else for me to be disappointed about

ER, I like Daboll and think it could be the right place right time for him as a first time HC. But he has other suitors. Quinn is an established coach. Frazier is too. After that I’m a little queasy. LOL

I’m not sure McDaniel or Moore are ready. Johnson and Thomas don’t excite me. All I know is I want a HC who coaches the entire team and game. I don’t want a specialist on one side of the ball. Hire those type of guys for coordinator positions.

I like Daboll

But the fact that Buffalo doesn’t run the ball frustrates me

It’s because Josh Allen is unique and their best player. He runs the ball. It’s like when we had Marino, you roll with your best player.

• ElephantRider says:

I would like Caldwell if going vet coaches. If they go 1st timer again…..idk. Makes me queasy

He’s one of my favorite prospects so far.

I have to watch more of him

he has great hands but my first instinct is I don’t love his game like some of my favorite wrs of the past

I don’t think he’s amazing but I think he fits with Tua and Waddle. You have another guy who will draw attention and the more of them you have, the more you challenge a defense. Waddle and Dotson moving around and build a strong running game.

122. ukfinfan says:

Terrific progress report on Stanger. Please give him my best Ken (by proxy) and thanks for the updates.

This (below) is quite the shrine! The jersey collection did remind me of Piggy’s! 😂

Here’s a little “pig-love” to sooth the pain.

Even if he does start, he’ll probably go out after a couple of hits since he’s already hurt and made of sand crystals

i think he needs to become a tranny and enter into a career as a victoria’s secret model. His picture as a woman was hotter than the majority of women i know lol.

LOL, that’s probably his post NFL career game plan.

As long as his ACL checks out you should be looking at Jameson Williams, he is pretty close to the same receiver as Waddle, from the same system as Waddle which emphasizes good routes and discipline over raw talent. Not that i think Dotson isn’t a good receiver, but i do think he is more raw speed guy where i think Williams is more a mirror image of Waddle we could have on the opposite side. If we keep Parker, then i would like for them to take Williams, of course depending on the medical eval. I think the injury was somewhat routine as fa as acl’s and he hasn’t been injury prone, this was a first time sidelined. It probably drops him a little in the draft and makes him available at our pick.

• bailbondmike says:

Agree 100% on Williams. He is also a bigger target than many realize at like 6’2. Couple that size with his speed which was projected at 4.29 but most probably low 4.3.

Jameson Williams is a rare talent. Has great hands, body control and route running is tops. His get off on the line is superb. That knee injury could slide him to us. Not sure about the severity whether it was a complete tear or what

Should add if they intend to move on past Parker, i would take Treylon Burks because he represents a younger/healthier version of Parker.

Glad to hear Stanger is doing better, and still on the up. Prayers for you Stanger.

125. bailbondmike says:

I think Jameson Williams, Jahan Dotson or Garrett Wilson are what we need out of the top WR’s to compliment Waddle.

I like Garrett Wilson also. He can line up in slot or boundary. He has good size at 6′ 203 and a 4.43 projected 40. He is a YAC WR and good after the catch. Very good body control and hands. One thing that stands out to me is his ability to shake off man/press coverage. He does a really good job setting up the DB before making his cuts.

He reminds me a little of Justin Hardy coming out of college, except he is more athletically gifted. They do some of the same things though like decoy the CB, and create separation by doing things with their routes like running right at the CB and getting them on their heels before they pull a break in their route or hit a curl. He also ran his more fluidly where as Wilson seems to be more jukey. Both have good body control, etc, Wilson’s might be slightly better. Might be a little adjustment to the NFL for him because a lot of the CB wont be fooled like the college kids were, but those kinda guys usually figure out how to work their routes to adjust to the NFL speed and talent. Albert Wilson is a very similar player as well.

Wilson is probably getting drafted early

I think you had it right with Jameson Williams
      He’s seems great

Have you seen the USC receiver Drake London?
      Big WR who uses his body well

126. bailbondmike says:

D, I would also consider Burks if they were to move on from Gesicki. He is big enough to give you what Gesicki does and more even though he does not play TE.

I think it’s kind of a deep draft for WRs
    Sky Moore, Justyn Ross, Chris Olave, Drake London

WanDale Robinson kind of fits the Deebo Samuel mold

128. bailbondmike says:

Piggy, I have looked at Drake London a little. He has good speed for his size. I think he will be a good #2 and RZ target. I look at him and think we already have one of those in Hollins, if we resign him. My list is very small as far as who I think could become a true #1 WR. My list for #2’s is huge, lol.

129. bailbondmike says:

Piggy, I like WanDale Robinson, but I don’t see him in the same boat as Deebo Samuel. Samuel is more RB like at 6′ 215 with 4.48 speed. Robinson at 5’10 185 with 4.38 speed is more like Albert Wilson to me or even Waddle.

I like him though.

Agree based on what you provided, Samuel is special, mostly due to his build and power

That’s what I like about this board, anyone can have an opinion based off of some traits, and others will debate that, giving us a more well rounded view without having to research ourselves

Too early for me to view game tape

Based on what was provided above on this year’s WR crop, I’m excited about our prospects, that could give us a dynamic duo for Tua to pair with Waddle

Seems it might be a big mistake to leave Waddle as the only viable option

Getting one of these guys at 26 would be enough to say good bye to Gesicki, also thinking/hoping Long will be the Witten type, that’s a 3rd down machine

Seems there’s lots of WRs coming out this year, that could benefit us, if we use them properly

Getting one in the first should be a must

We can get an RB, RT, C in FA, that are adequate

Then re-sign a few of our FAs and we could be set

January 19, 2022 at 6:05 pm
    M13, when you say Ross shouldn’t overthink this, what do you mean?
    ———————
    I’m talking about learning from the past, so as to hire somebody who can actually form a legit staff (via connections) on both sides of the ball. If he goes too young or inexperienced, he will fail once again.

People like to cite Mike Tomlin in saying that a newbie can get it done. What people fail to realize is that he inherited an already great team (FO and all) from Bill Cowher. That’s not to take ANYTHING away from Tomlin… he’s GRAND, and will enter the HOF as a HC: I respect him dearly.

If we go too young or inexperienced again at HC in another rebuild, we’re already doomed. We need someone with some real football experience to come in and build the foundation.

So to answer another question of yours up the board, I think Ross ultimately hires Jim Harbaugh, but I’m rooting for Brian Daboll.

Wilson, good riddance, was mostly a bust for us this year, can’t get over a short QB throwing to a short WR, doesn’t seem to work for us

Bowden and Hurns I think are more Tua friendly, Parker sucks when not fully healthy, so anything we get from him will be a plus

Waddle, 1st rd #26, Bowden, Hurns, Parker, Hollins, Long, Shaheen, Smythe should be enough for us to move the ball and get into playoffs

Robinson is no Deebo

But he’s a 2nd round talent who can do a lot of things

Ok, so that’s what you meant, was thinking the same as BBM, as also being a powerful runner

I’d even think about doubling down on WR in the 2nd, if someone dropped to us and also depending on filling some holes in FA

Looks like they are interested in retaining Doaks. I don’t know why he didn’t get a chance to play more

135. bailbondmike says:

We need help vs the run. What about FA ILB Kwon Alexander. He just finished up a 1 year deal with Saints who are near the bottom of the league in cap space. I think he would be an upgrade at ILB.

Here is a list of our free agents – UFA, RFA and ERFA. We’ll likely re-sign some of them but a lot of them probably won’t be back.

—————-
    Just a friendly little reminder to everyone: DO NOT BELIEVE everything ya hear or see, reported in the media.

Does anybody remember why Jim Harbaugh was fired by the 49ers? If not, he was fired for butting heads with EVERYBODY in the FO — including ownership — and his coaching staff. That’s what Brian Flores is accused of having done here, under Steve Ross.

Ross didn’t have a problem with Harbaugh when it came to luring him to Michigan after that fact, though.

Ross is a dirty weasel.

Tell me… who hasn’t Steve Ross outright SHAT upon after firing? His reputation is outright horrible as an owner to work for. This will complicate our HC search, which is why I feel Harbaugh will ultimately be Ross’ choice for HC, should he decide to go back to the NFL. Understand me?

I think Brian Daboll (who I want as our next HC), as our then OC, saw the tail end, firsthand, of the Sparano (RIP) and Ireland feud, and just how terrible Ross is as an owner to work for.

We’ll see what happens…

Dude, Jim Harbaugh is a Michigan man.

M13, I can see you’re in full blown anti-Ross mode. LOL

He has to own up to his failures, man! He’s outright alienated many in coaching circles for the way he pursued Harbaugh (for our Phins, not Michigan) and Jeff Fisher.

I’m not talking as a fan here, I’m talking as a businessman. Who wants to do biz with Steve Ross regarding our Phins? It’s both sad and scary. His reputation is beyond lackluster, to put it lightly.

These are my predictions, nothing more. I could very easily be wrong… not like I haven’t been wrong in the past. JMO, as always.

This is among the rounds

• herdfan says:

This is my actual local news too. Saw it happen. Tim Irr is totally clueless, not just here, always. And then she’s saying it happened before! WTF

The anchor was basically useless and didn’t even ask if she was okay

• herdfan says:

He said later he couldn’t see the video, just had audio. But she said I just got hit by a car!

I saw him saying that on Twitter….lol

It’s not a 1920 studio. They probably have monitors

He literally says in the video that “by the look of it” asking her where she was hit. I think he’s just a robot or something

I had flashbacks of this gif watching him

Next years schedule

January 20, 2022 at 5:43 pm
    Yeah and the past is the past. We need a new HC, why are you going back 10 years ago?
    ——————–
    Ross had better have learned from his mistakes… we’re going in a loop here, re-read my 1:13 PM comment to you today. I don’t trust the guy and I do not care for how he continuously throws his firings under the bus… it’s a serious trend with this guy and it cannot be dismissed as arbitrary.

If Ross wants to roll a steamroller over every single guy he’s fired, HE’S THE ONE WHO HIRED THEM TO BEGIN WITH! He’s a POS, Brother. I’d never work for him, that’s for sure.

I get all of that. He is the owner and we need a new HC. If you remember Ross gave Grier full power of the football team in 2019 and he selected Flores to be our HC. Why would that change now and Ross is picking the HC? Unless something happened that I haven’t heard, GM Grier will lead the HC search and Ross will sign off on it like most teams do.

I dunno, my man. Maybe Grier has naked photos of Steve Ross in bed with Robert Kraft on SOBE? I mean, how on EARTH has Grier been able to retain his job over the years?

If we’re going to rebuild, it’s time for a TOTAL overhaul… and that includes Chris Grier. There are 2 common denominators here for our failures since Ross took over ownership from HWH: Steve Ross and Chris Grier.

I really don’t know why Grier gets so much flack. But again he is the GM. He will be leading the search for a new HC. So you hate Ross and think Grier should have been fired. Okay everyone is allowed their opinion, but try to stay in the reality of it.

Who said we’re rebuilding? There is plenty of young talent on this team for a new HC to roll with. We already know we need upgrades and they will try to do that. And of course a new coach will have players he knows and likes. That’s always been the case. But this team doesn’t need to turn over the entire roster like we did in 2019-20.

We aren’t arguing, I’m just sharing my thoughts… rightfully or wrongfully. We need REAL change if we’re to become a powerhouse team again, making the playoffs on a perennial basis.

I’ve been sick since yesterday, woke up puking… probably have the Omicron. Going to get tested tomorrow. I’m good, but I feel like poop from head to toe.

Going to get some rest now.

There are 22 players currently on the team from the last 4 drafts 2018-2021. A lot of them are our good players and some have been okay or meh. But we still have draft capital and lots of cap space. What has Grier done so bad? No he hasn’t put together a playoff team, I get that. That’s why I say even with a new HC we have to make the playoffs in 2022. The new HC is not walking into a situation where the team has no talent, not much of a draft and cap issues. It’s the opposite of all of those things.

I feel Grier’s fate will be hooked to Tua not getting us over the top. All the draft picks he acquired and managing the cap well the last few years will be for not if we don’t start being a playoff contender. That’s what it’s all about.

Stanger update:
    I got a call from Stanger tonight and talked to him for a while. He sounds good. He needs in patient rehab and they are having difficulty finding a bed. But it was just great to talk to him.

People don’t want to hear it

But Jarvis Landry is scheduled to make 14 million this year and will cause a 16million cap hot to the browns, but they will only take a 1.5 dead money hit if they cut him

This means he will probably be a free agent doesn’t it?

That’s incredible news about Stanger

I show my load at the Deebo comparison to early

This is the better comparison

Did you guys see that the Vikings are going to be in Miami next season? If we ever had a chance to get Randy to a Fest game this is our best one.
    There’s also going to be a Green Bay rematch from a previous Fest. The fake spike a la Rodgers killer.

Keep it up Stanger
    #stangerstrong 💪

Speaking of Randy and Minnesota

Anyone have any thoughts on this 6’9 380 pound OT

They are finally making OL highlight films

He appears to have very short calves his knees are lower than anyone else despite him towering over all of them. I don’t know if that’s a bad thing but it looks odd.

He’s quite the project

Use the extremes, it will usually tell you what you want to know

So if his knees were 4 inches from the ground, like a cat’s leg joint, how hard do you think it would be to knock him off balance? Pretty hard?

Usually a way to get to tall guys is low

TRULY AWESOME NEWS about young stanger!!!! MADE MY YEAR!!
    DOLPHINS can go 1-16 but it will STILL BE A GOOD YEAR!!
    ——————————————————————————————
    SOME FAU NEWS: Watched the men’s basketball game come from behind to beat Western Kentucky tonight on CBS Sports Network. Then saw that for mer FAU defensive end Trey Hendrickson, the All-Time sack leader in C-USA history, will be back from a concussion this weekend for the Bengals! He had 14 sacks this season for Cincy. They’ll need him!
    ——————————————————————————————
    Y’all have a terrific evening and a better tomorrow!
    Time to walk the greyhound and hit the sack!
    Sleep well, Young Stanger!!

LOL, that news anchor had a level of concern about on par to “Did I take my shoes off in the living room or the entryway?”

The poor gal was clearly shook up, and they left live for what? a minute and a half?

“Golly gee, Teri, I think those people might have just hit the slopes. Did you notice if they had a ski rack on the roof? And was that a ’95 Dodge Caravan? It looked like original paint and everything, neato.”

He was like “did you get hit up high or low”

It was a car dickhead, it’s probably big enough to cover both

I like that Burks WR you showed Piggy. Watching J Williams his skinny legs worried me. Same with Dotson and some of the other WR’s shown.

Just found this clip while perusing the webs

bailbondmike says:
    January 20, 2022 at 3:37 pm
    AVG is an OLB. Alexander is an ILB.
    ——————————————-
    “looks real good on plays where he makes a play”

So does every player in the NFL. Your point?

Alexander was a big part of a good Saints defense.

Was just referring to exactly that, it’s a highlight reel everyone looks good in their highlight reel, maybe you missed my emoji in the first post, was just being a dick I guess or wanted to write Stinkel Van Ginkel😜, sorry

Looking at an article showing the pros and cons for each HC candidate, seems it’s something Grier is going to have to figure out, how to weigh pros vs cons

In other words as a fan we can say who we want, but have no clue who should be the best man for the job without doing the interview

Just doing the interview isn’t enough, you have to be competent evaluating people’s personality and traits, something I’m not sure Grier is really qualified to do, at least that’s how he comes across

Hope there’s someone else in the interview that has that skill

Some of these articles about HC candidates are really bad

Trying to figure out if it’s better to get a retread or 1st timer

What I see is the common link in most of these coaches is they had great QBs

Why did they have great QBs? Is it because of the QB himself, Peyton, or was it a QB they developed and put in a great situation, Brady?

Do you want an HC, that can find a great QB or one that can develop one?

In our case think we should go after an HC, that can develop Tua

A D coach isn’t that guy, Daboll, Moore, McDaniel seem to be the ones who might be able to do that

Watching a short video someone posted here of McDaniel the other day, he sure seemed to be less than impressive, but not ruling him out based on its

NEW BLOG UP!!!