Preseason Finale – Eagles at Dolphins

So this is the last game the Miami Dolphins will be playing that won’t count in the standings. It will count, however, for those players desperately vying to grab a roster spot. The majority of the roster is probably accounted for, but there are probably a handful of bubble decisions that will be determined by performances in this last game. There will be a few positions where the depth will have to be figured out, most importantly DB, where the Dolphins have lost some depth players, and actually may not have their starting CB Byron Jones ready for Game 1 against the New England Patriots. At RB, no one back has looked particularly good in either game yet, so most of the work in practice will have determined the depth chart so far, plus, McD may just want to keep the Patriots guessing as to what our offense will actually be. WR is where a few potential depth guys have looked good, but considering we have the first 4 spots locked up with Hill, Waddle, Wilson and Ezukanma, add in the fact that we may carry 3 QB’s, plus at least one fullback, it’s possible only 5 WR’s make it, and not 6. Does Lynn Bowden Jr. make the cut, or perhaps Braylon Sanders, or River Cracraft, or veteran Mohammed Sanu?

Running back has been a tough one to figure. You would think you can write in Chase Edmonds, Raheem Mostert and Sony Michel, because McD and Grier just brought them here. Myles Gaskin was here already, but he’s a guy that has produced too. Salvon Ahmed is too much like Gaskin, so I guess it will be either or, if one them makes the roster. Rookie ZaQuandre White hasn’t seen much action, just 2 carries for negative 1 yards. Gaskin leads the Dolphins with 39 yards on 8 carries. QB Skylar Thompson is 2nd with 26. In other words, we really haven’t seen enough to have any expectations. ZaQuandre White does have a 19 yard TD reception, so there’s that.

It has to be tempered because it’s preseason, but I like what I’ve seen of DE Porter Gustin, and I think he has a chance to stick. At LB, both Cameron Goode and 3rd RD draft pick Channing Tindall showed some positive things. Tindall is a lock, but Goode may find himself a spot on the roster as well. At CB, Mackensie Alexander is done, (that was quick!), so guys like Keion Crossen and longshot Kader Kohou have a chance because of the injury situation. Iggy seems to be on the outside looking in. Everything I’ve seen from this kid in this preseason tells me he’s a not an NFL player. We did well taking a shot with Nik Needham, I think one of the aforementioned guys is also going to get a shot.

At TE, there’s been lots of chatter about Mike Gesicki getting traded. I don’t see it happening, but I’m not against it if we get the right return. Gesicki is a one dimensional player at the moment, a talented one, but still one dimensional. He’s a receiver, and hasn’t seemed to have embraced the blocking aspect of the position. Durham Smythe can do both, but he’s not as good as a receiver as Gesicki. Long hasn’t really proved he’s great at anything, and Cethan Carter gives you H-back flexibility and is a strong blocker. I think to myself, Durham Smythe, Hunter Long and Cethan Carter don’t put any fear into any defense, and while Gesicki isn’t a great blocker, he’s a top 8-10 receiving TE. Tough call there, but if they can get a starter where we need it for Gesicki, or a 3rd RD pick in the 2023 draft, go for it.

On the O-line, we’ve been protecting LT Terron Armstead, and Larnel Coleman has been given a lot of playing time. Coleman has been good and bad, as expected. Coleman was a 7th RD pick last year, and he appears to be locked in as Armstead’s backup. The 5 we know will be here are Armstead, Eichenberg, Williams, Hunt and Jackson. The remaining guys are Greg Little, Solomon Kindley, Robert Jones, Michael Deiter, Adam Pankey, Kion Smith, Kellen Diesch and Blaise Andries. Due to the fact that Armstead is oft injured, Coleman seems to be safe. Greg Little was a 2nd RD pick back in ’19 for the Panthers, so he has some pedigree, but we haven’t seen anything from him here in MIA. Lots of decisions. Our special teams is set with K Jason Sanders, P Thomas Morstead, LS Blake Ferguson, and KR/PR Tyreek Hill, Raheem Mostert, Jaylen Waddle and Jevon Holland. Just stay healthy guys, the roster will work itself out!

#stangerstrong

GO DOLPHINS!!!

1,567 Responses to Preseason Finale – Eagles at Dolphins

1. bailbondmike says:

— I ask McDaniel about his level of confidence that Jaylen Waddle will be ready for Week 1: “Very, very, very confident.” Says Waddle would have been able to play the past two weekends had those been regular season games. Waddle will be getting reps at practice Thursday.

– Asked about the battle for the starting cornerback job opposite Xavien Howard with Byron Jones off the active roster, McDaniel says it does no good to reveal who might have the edge at this point.

Funny football facts

Even though the Houston Oilers/Tennesse Titans have not been in the AFC East since the end of 1969, they have the same amount of AFC East Titles as the NY Jets

In Joe Flacco’s first 5 playoff games, he completed 47.5% of his passes and threw for 1 TD vs 6 INTs.

the Miami Dolphins first play ever as a pro team was a kick return for a touchdown.

6. naplesfan2010 says:

I wonder if our being one of the last to fill out our PS indicates that we are holding some spots for some from our 53 to get moved down to the PS when we locate more suitable veterans at OL or CB.
    or maybe waiting for just the right gems to be uncovered
    or maybe looking at our 53 in practice to see what we need
    or for some injuries to not clear or IR guys to come off IR.
    … …
    Something is up, because neither McDaniel nor Grier is sloppy.

When the world gives you lemons….

8. bailbondmike says:

Tim, I guess you can give different salaries to PS players. Cracraft and Gustin are getting 277K while the rest are getting 207K. Never paid attention to it before.

9. bailbondmike says:

Was going to fish the major again this afternoon but the storms are rolling in. I am so tired of this rain on the panhandle. This has to be the rainiest and coolest summer in the 18 years I have been here.

10. Wyoming85 says:

Adam Schefter
    @AdamSchefter
    · 19m
    A loss before the season even begins: Titans’ pass rusher Harold Landry tore his ACL during practice Wednesday, per source.

This is really different. Thought all times in the past has gone by position group. Although vaguely remember when top vets got double lockers in one section and the newer guys with single lockers in another.

————————-
    Coach says the locker room arrangement doesn’t go by position because he wanted to break up the idea that it’s offense vs. defense. Says he wants guys to be around more than just their position group throughout the day.

— Travis Wingfield

12. Wyoming85 says:

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – The Miami Dolphins today announced they have signed cornerback Justin Bethel and placed safety Clayton Fejedelem on injured reserve. Miami also signed the following players to the practice squad: cornerback Kalon Barnes, tackle Larnel Coleman, wide receiver River Cracraft, offensive lineman James Empey, linebacker Cameron Goode, linebacker Porter Gustin, safety Verone McKinley III, wide receiver Braylon Sanders, defensive tackle Niles Scott, defensive tackle Ben Stille and running back ZaQuandre White.

13. Wyoming85 says:

Well there’s a center

“Miami’s roster is still fairly young. Consider that 21 players on Miami’s roster are younger than the rookie quarterback from Kansas State, Skylar Thompson, who is 25. Crazy, right?”

— Joe Schad

15. bailbondmike says:

CB Justin Bethel has hung around the NFL for now his 11th season. Must be a good a special teamer. He will be here to replace Clayton Fejedelem on special teams until he returns. Not sure about his abilities as a CB (14 starts in 10 years).

“Bethel is entering his 11th NFL season after spending the first seven seasons of his career in Arizona (2012-18), part of one season in Baltimore (2019) and two-plus years in New England (2019-21). He’s appeared in 159 career games with 14 starts, totaling 102 tackles (89 solo), four interceptions, 20 passes defensed, five forced fumbles and eight fumble recoveries. Bethel also has three interceptions returned for touchdowns and 135 career special teams tackles (114 solo). He originally entered the NFL as a sixth-round pick (177th overall) by Arizona in the 2012 NFL Draft after a collegiate career at Presbyterian.

16. bailbondmike says:

Was Bethel signed to the 53 or to the PS? If it was to the 53, then we have 5 more PS spots to fill.

OC James Empey and DT Niles Scott, meh. Scott has been around since 2018 and done nothing.

I think we could/should have done better than these 2 but happy with the others.

“The Dolphins will have seven season captains, three on offense and four on defense. They are quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, wide receiver Tyreek Hill and tackle Terron Armstead, defensive tackle Christian Wilkins, linebacker Elandon Roberts, cornerback Xavien Howard and safety Jevon Holland.”

• naplesfan2010 says:

Those are some excellent and powerful captains.
      No one on STs though, like we had with Mack Hollins the last couple of years.
      Maybe the Super Bowl winner and elder Morstead will function as de facto ST captain.

18. naplesfan2010 says:

Do you think we signed Bethel to clap back at bellicheat for signing Bowden?
    McDaniel be like all up in billie’s grill.
    McDaniel is intimidated by no one.

So Lynn Bowden was the player that Belichick signed to the PS for intel.

Hello Every one: reminder live draft is tonight at 8:00PM EST

i have My son Alex (Xavien’s dad) taking over ER team , and i will muddle through keeping Piggys team competitive on Sunday’s..

i have a dentist appointment at 18:45, hoping i make the beginning myself…

Best of luck to all ,,…

21. Wyoming85 says:

Jeremy Fowler
    @JFowlerESPN
    · 1h
    WR Freddie Swain signing with #Dolphins practice squad, per source. Had several options after Seattle release, chose Miami.

I know I’m a homer but I’m pretty impressed with how Grier and McDaniel have built and handled the 2022 team. Our draft was limited starting in the late 3rd round but 3 of 4 made the 53 and the other signed to the PS. Adding Hill was a big deal and re-signing Ogbah was a no-brainer, then Armstead who brings talent and leadership.

Go Phins!!!

^

Wasn’t interested in Armstead early, but as FA went on, without us signing an RT, it was imperative we signed him when we did, then we got him at a good price

Without this signing our OL would’ve be way below average

The draft was A+ for the 4 picks we had, hopefully Goode stays with us throughout the year, Skylar alone might make it A+

We put too much stock into the blind side and not enough on the strong side where Tua will roll most of the time. We’re not running a static pocket for the QB other than quick or play-action deep. Everything else is rolling with boots both strong and naked. Let’s hope Armstead has his best season ever. 🙂

Draft complete thanks all

No — thank you. You do the quickest draft ever been part of.

• manitobafinfan says:

Yeah it was pretty intense… I think it went so fast cause of most on auto pilot .. hit my chair after dentist with like a minute to spare … kinda glad I had last pick

Happy B-Day to both Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor!

Zach’s biggest advocate for the HOF is Brian Urlacher.

jahndont says:
    September 1, 2022 at 8:59 pm
    HOF-er Zach Thomas!

(in my book and eventually)

manitobafinfan says:
    September 1, 2022 at 9:18 pm
    100% agree
    ————–
    YOU’RE DAMN RIGHT! *in my Issac Hayes voice* 😀

We could be looking at Hill, Waddle and Holland as our PR. They have all done it in their careers.

In a pinch, I don’t mind that… but on the regular? Not so much. There are some incredible hits that go on to a punt returner if a fair catch signal is missed… or intentionally missed.

I mean, not there haven’t been bounties paid out to players for head-hunting and all. Just sayin’.

I know what you’re saying but what happens with head to head hits over the middle etc.? It’s football, the best players make you the best team you can be. I don’t mind a rotation at PR like any other position. That said, maybe we add a guy who is the PR that isn’t a premium player at a position. I don’t know who that is right now.

And I hear ya, too, Tim. I wish LBJ was the guy for us, but the bloody Patsies* got him now. SMH

Darrell Green, Deion Sanders and Ed Reed as PR are all HOF players at their positions.

I saw a few of y’all talking about great return specialists the other day. I think the guy Son was talking about was DeSean Jackson (the incredible return against the G-Men).

Yes… Devin Hester was a monster, perhaps the best of all time. But I was surprised nobody mentioned Dante “X” Hall.

Other than Deshaun Jackson the other guys were only returners.

Correct.

Funny how you went Defensive players, and I went Offensive players! Interesting!

Not really, I talked about top players returning punts. Like Hill and Waddle on offense and Holland on defense. It’s about players who can make plays and change games. You can’t play football scared.

Some fans act like punt returns are like walking through mind fields. It’s football. Let’s keep a player not as talented and okay as a PR but is 6th on the depth chart as a WR. That’s not value and doesn’t make your team better.

Bro, I was talking about how you only mentioned Defensive players as PRs in your examples (Deion, Green, Reed) while I only mentioned Offensive players as PRs (Jackson, Hester, and Hall)… thought that was kind of cool!

And it’s minefields, not mind fields.

M13, Bowden was meh for me. We wished special from him but I didn’t see it. I don’t really care if he’s on the Pats. He’s nothing special in my eyes.

September 1, 2022 at 10:20 pm

mf13ss says:
    September 1, 2022 at 10:24 pm
    Champ Bailey as well, especially in 2002 as a Redskin.
    —————-
    It’s rather remarkable that my man Champ Bailey as a rook was mentored by both Deion and Darrell Green. Says a LOT!

#BallHawkUniversity

Oy! M13, let’s stretch the conversation out as much as we can with semantics. Seriously?

You’re afraid of putting top players at PR. I’m not. It’s part of the game. Players get hurt playing anywhere on the field. We act like PR is inhumane. LOL

Nah, man, I totally get what you’re saying: I’m not even necessarily disagreeing with you at all. Where there’s risk, there could be reward (don’t play scared). But additionally, where there’s risk, there could be remorse (shouldn’t have done it).

Has anybody stated that before?

A top player gets hurt on a PR it’s see I told you so. They get twisted playing the ball on defense or offense and get hurt it’s well that can happen.

Think about punts; out of bounds, let it go – downed, fair catch or touch back. Most punt returners get 2-3 tops in a game. KR is even less, maybe one. Why are we so worried about it?

It’s football!!!

🐖💨

34. uwantwat says:

Why are you’ll(did I get that right) stressing over a returner? All they have to really do is CATCH the damn ball. Hell most of them are waved as fair catches or downed. Very few returns these days.
    To quote my mate Billy, Much ado about nothing.

Exactly! But one injury and watch. LOL

It’s football!

Utilize your best players to make plays. That’s how I see it.

• ukfinfan says:

Uwant – I think the correct version is y’all. As and Ls can be added at will and the further south you hail from, the more the merrier.

35. uwantwat says:

Tim…I agree with you. Let them play, it’s foooottballlllll.

36. ukfinfan says:

After the mob predictions went in, I got to thinking how this year could pan out as part of my guess. It’s the NFL so there will be injuries and upsets aplenty which can make predictions a mockery in a heartbeat. Add to that the AFC strength (on paper at least) and I wouldn’t say you have more chance of winning the lottery, but you can see from the spread of forecasts how tough it is to call it.

I also got to thinking about the 53 and how we are arguably (as many have said) the most talented team for decades with the MM wild card factor thrown in (I’m not getting too carried away by another offensive genius just yet until we have evidence that his genius translates to Ws). What struck me, though, was that I cannot remember the last team we had that had as much potential to play complementary football as this year. Too often we had a Marino score fest and a D manned by mannequins. Then when Marine exited stage left, we built a Championship D but finding a franchise QB was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

And now? We really have a great kicker, a great punter, a great D (if Boyer can stop us being gashed in the run game and let the front 7 loose) and a great offense (if we can actually run in real games and set up play action and feed our speed receivers). It all bodes really well, but I’m not getting too high on any of it just yet.

Then, I spose not too bizarrely, Schad had similar thoughts to me but actually looked up the records to somewhat back up this line of thought and here they are:

I hope this ability to squeeze opponents in all three phases of the game translates into a few extra wins that we might have lost and finally pushes us back into the play-offs where we belong.

Go Fins.

37. Krishna says:

I agree uk….show me

A reason it’s hard to have something that looks like complimentary football is style of play, so unless the team is really good, it doesn’t show in the stats

Your team has been identified as a D team, so your O puts the game in the Ds hands, meaning the O plays conservatively most of the game, which shows in the stats as bad O good D

Same would happen in reverse, if the O was the stronger unit

F the stats, look at what each unit does, when the game is on the line

Come on Schad, you’re smarter, than that

Toba! I would like a spot on the Tobus if there is room please. Thank you!

mf13ss says:
    September 1, 2022 at 10:09 pm
    That’s what she said to me! LOL
    😆

That’s what they all say. LOL My ex told me I was the biggest she had ever been with. (unsolicited) and then a few months later I met HER most recent ex and he was 6’7″ 310 and fit (not fat). I immediately started questioning that statement. LOL!

41. naplesfan2010 says:

You guys are all making great points about comp ftball.
    Another thing though is league-wide trends.
    Sometimes a wave of offense like Air Coryell will sweep the league
    or that great Ryan Bears D,
    and it seems like the thing to do to win,
    and everybody copies it until
    somebody does the opposite,
    and no one is ready for it,
    so the pendulum swings back the other way.

42. naplesfan2010 says:

Now it’s a 17-game year.

43. naplesfan2010 says:

So what’s the trend right now?
    It might just be comp ftball!!
    I think the Rams were well balanced and so were the Buccaneers,
    although the Chiefs won just because they had Tyreek Hill.

no no no no no, the chiefs won because they have Mahomes. Don’t you listen to the Media? Mahomes has already made they next guy up great!

• naplesfan2010 says:

I have nothing against Mahomes or any QB who can sail a ball downfield with a high arc so that a cheetah is the only one who can go get it.

• ukfinfan says:

What I’m hoping Naples, is we have a ball control O which is capable of making big plays if needed and a swarming D which can stop the run, but get after the QB if the opponent’s O becomes one dimensional. I don’t want us relying on either unit too often in games. I want all sides of the ball to be functional. That’s what I think of as complementary football. Scoring > 25 points/game on average and conceding <15. (numbers arbitrary just for illustration). Balance takes you deep in the play offs.

Kurt breaking down Tua’s Preseason.

• naplesfan2010 says:

wow Kurt Warner really knows his stuff.
      Tua has a lot to learn,
      but if he would just square his feet to his target,
      he’d get a lot better depth on his throws.
      On both the first down to Tyreek and the TD to River,
      Tua was falling away, throwing off his back foot instead of driving the ball.
      That’s a bad habit but it’s also room for growth meaning Tua can get better!!

45. naplesfan2010 says:

(trying to erase the image of Rock measuring with a yardstick,
    then punching that in the calculator with 6’7 and … some “variables”)
    n/m
    … …
    How about that Skylar Thompson, hey?

46. bailbondmike says:

A couple good games last night, WV at Pitt and PSU at Purdue. UCF also looked promising with the QB transfer John rhys Plumlee from Ole Miss.

PSU has a very interesting QB of the future behind Crawford, Drew Allar. I think that kid is going to be a stud. As a true freshman, he is 6’5 240ish with a cannon arm. I think we will see more of him this year as I don’t think Crawford’s knee will hold up through the season.

Also, PSU CB Joey Porter, Jr. looks real promising. He’s 6’2 195 and a physical corner who did well playing press coverage most of last night. He did get 1 penalty and possibly could have gotten another though. Had 8 solo tackles, 1 FR and at least 4 PD’s (I would give him 5 PD’s). I have him on my watch list as a possible 2nd rounder but if he keeps playing like last night he will go in the 1st round next year. I think his 40 time will impact that.

Toba – Damn bro, so sorry I missed the draft last night! I have so much going on right now, we’re having a big labor day party on Sunday, so if I’m not working, I’m cleaning, preparing for the weekend. Some day I’ll actually remember to get my ass in front of the computer and join you guys. Thanks for doing it every year, and once again, my apologies.

And I’m sorry for the auto draft. And my Homer team!

• pheloniusphish says:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
      BUILT ON A TRIO OF DOLPHINS, SLEEPING WITH THE PHISHES EXPECTS TO SHOCK THE LEAGUE
      Draft Grade Proj Record Proj Finish
      D 0-14 10

What did you do – edit your pre-draft list to Tyreek, Waddle and Tua?

• pheloniusphish says:

When I realized I wasn’t going to make the draft, I threw a bunch of players on the list, but I didn’t put them in order.

You got me to check — Tua, Mostert, Waddle, Sanders, Holland, Dolphins D with Gesicki on the bench. What will you do on the bye week? 🙂

• pheloniusphish says:

Hope nobody else on my bench is on a bye!

TMI

• ukfinfan says:

Another option to watch on for week 1 Cav.

You’ll find a SS section for SD, HD, FHD, HEVC and direct feeds on offer. You’ll also see a Brit hosting the show with US guests and a bunch of crappy UK adverts if you tune in that way. Commentary in game is US comms. There’s be a Gamepass section too, as currently.

I saw the whole skysports thing and thought it might be interesting to check out a UK broadcast. I assume skysports is kinda like our espn?

At the very least, I figure I won’t have to sit through the same damned car commercial 20 times like on a US broadcast, lol.

• ukfinfan says:

Nailed it. Exactly like that. They have dedicated channels for different sports including NFL (which also shows rugby games during quiet NFL times).

What I hate about US commercials is fecking trucks (we may have 1 truck per million of population here – slight exaggeration), monster-high calorie food which is completely processed and will give you a coronary just looking at it and beer that looks and tastes like what we piss out after we’ve had a session (aka any “lite” beer ……. why bother?) Rant over. Would love to hear your feedback on UK ads. I mute them and go do something else whilst they are on.

Hey Hey UK!

NEW BLOG UP!!!!

52. ukfinfan says:

It may not rain on opening day, but I expect to hear thunder