Tim Knight – My Fan Origin

How I became a Dolphins fan I can probably guess why a lot of you Floridians became Dolphins fans, but it’s probably a different story for me. Back when I was a young lad at 7-8 years old many of the kids in my neighborhood collected sports trading cards, baseball and football for me. We also spent time walking around the local sports stores, there were no Sports Authority’s or Dick’s Sporting Goods etc. back then. You’d see posters on the walls of all the great players in all the major sports. We’d play football and baseball and pretend to be the many different stars we knew about from those trading cards and posters. Games were not on TV like they are now, only the local games. There was no internet for information. To hear about teams not in the local area, was through your cards and word of mouth from the older kids and adults, and when those great teams were on Game of the Week, MNF or in the playoffs.

PaulWarfield

Getting a jersey of your favorite players on Christmas was the most exciting thing. You wanted to wear it and play ball but didn’t want get it dirty or ripped. In the early 70’s the NFL teams that were popular in my neighborhood were the Cowboys, Dolphins, Steelers, Raiders, Redskins and Vikings. I didn’t like the Giants and Jets boring looking uniforms. Joe Namath didn’t excite me like he did others.

CharlieTaylorJersey

I gravitated towards the Dolphins, Redskins and Steelers. Why those 3 you ask? Well I’ll tell you. Back to the word on the street about which players were the best. I wanted a Charlie Taylor Redskins jersey #42. He was talked about as a great WR and I liked to run and catch the ball. He was a Redskin and I always rooted for the indians against the cowboys in movies and shows. Something about the way they lived and what they had to deal with. All of us pretended to be Franco Harris #32 when he hit the scene. Lynn Swann was known for those exciting catches. Mean Joe Green and Terry Bradshaw. Jack Ham and Lambert.

FrancoHarris Now you know why I hated the Cowboys from the beginning. That and probably because my friend’s older brother was a fan and he was a cocky bastard. I guess that’s part of being a Cowboys fan. Nothing has changed. Loved watching the Steelers beat them. LOL But those Dolphins players and their Head Coach, there was something about them. There were posters of a half a dozen of them hanging in those sports stores, yes even in NJ. Shula, Griese, Czonka, Morris, Warfield, Buoniconti. They were the Miami Dolphins. For those of us in the NE, Florida was thought of to be a paradise where it’s summer all year long. I loved dolphins the mammal. Their team colors looked Florida. This was a team that went undefeated. This was the team I watched play in the SB for three straight years even though I didn’t really understand all there was to know about the game. Then one year all of a sudden I was getting only Dolphins jerseys for Christmas. LOL

LarryCzonka    MercuryMorris

I’m not exactly sure of the exact time line with any of this, or when I made the choice to become strictly a Dolphins fan, but it was by the (early) mid 70’s. Probably should have picked the Steelers. They went on their run at the time I chose the Dolphins. 8 Super Bowls and 6 wins. Oh well. LOL

Aside | This entry was posted in Fan Origin. Bookmark the permalink.

426 Responses to Tim Knight – My Fan Origin

So I heard this morning on NFL AM that Joe Flacco had the best season of his career in ’14 under Gary Kubiak (while they were talking about his and Peyton’s future in Denver) and it made me think of Omar and his love for Flacco and all things Ravens and spurred me to look up Flacco’s best year and compare it to Ryan’s best year. Guest what I found??

Ryan was tied or better than Flacco in nearly every category. 66.4% vs 62.1% completions, 4,045 vs 3,986 total yards, 252.8 vs 249.1 yds per game, both had 27-12 TD / Int, Tanny had 34 more passing 1st downs and a 92.8 vs 91 rating. Flacco DID complete THREE more passes of 40yds or more than Tanny but only averaged .3 yds per pass (1 ft) than Tannehill. (7.2 vs 6.9)
    I couldn’t find the kill stat on NFL.com……..
    So Tannehill was as good or better than Flacco in every statistical category of Flacco’s BEST year ever this year, yet we still don’t know if Tanny is the long term solution….

• convict says:

The single biggest difference between Flacco and Tannehill is that one has been on a team that has won big games in December and in the playoffs. The other has been on a team that has faded at the end of the last 2 seasons. Sure, the Ravens have had a better defense surrounding Flacco than what Tannehill has, but until Tannehill can lead this team into the playoffs, you can point to statistics all you want, Flacco is in a different league than Tannehill.

WRONG, CONVICT; Tannehill’s in the same league (NFL) as is Flacco. –The problem has been Miami’s head coaches (Sparano & Philbin) AND MIAMI’s previous GM (Jeffroe Ireland) have let this franchise down with subpar performances on their part. IF YOU THINK FLACCO could have taken any team loaded with Ireland’s players to the Super Bowl you are sadly mistaken. John Harbaugh and Ozzie Newsome are so much better than Sparano/Philbin and Ireland it isn’t even funny. –And lets NOT even mention the difference in the owners of these two franchises.

Uhg, Is Tom Brady week on NFL Network

3. Try Pod says:

Thanks for the story Tim. It is interesting to learn how people become fans of teams from other areas.

NICE ARTICLE, TIM; –NICE photos, too.
    ———–
    GOT my brochure from the Dolphins about 10 days after they said it should arrive. ONE FACTOR stands out: those loyal Dolfans sitting between the 30’s on Miami’s side will be BUMPED out of their seats UNLESS they want to pay $1,000-$2,000 and up for seats in the “NEW” Sun-Baked Stadium. How’s THAT for a loyal gesture by Steve Ross??
    ———–
    Long-term seat holders are being urged to move across the field to seats between the 30’s on the VISITORS’ SIDE!! –PROBLEM WITH that is ALL THESE SEATS WILL BE IN THE SUN FOR EVERY HOME GAME, ACCORDING TO THE PHOTOS IN THE BROCHURE!! –NO DOUBT OLD GUARD DOLFANS ARE ROYALLY PISSED-OFF BY THIS!! –SO, many wanting to stay in the shaded areas will have to move to the corner of the end zones or upstairs to avoid BEING FRIED!! This means THERE ARE NO GOOD OPTIONS for the non-wealthy loyal Dolphin fans, period!!
    ———-
    This entire remodelling gimmick may bring Ross the chance to HOST a Super Bowl. BUT it will be at the cost of OFFENDING HIS MOST LOYAL FANS!! — HOW TYPICAL OF STEVE ROSS!!

5. dbolt48 says:

Nice story Tim. Here I thought you became a Fins fan bases with your infatuation of the Dolphins Blow Hole😋

6. convict says:

OD. Don’t think I am wrong – see Joe Flacco’s play in the playoffs. He’s pretty damn good, and he had a bunch of journeymen this year on his offense. I’m not a Flacco fan – but QBs are rated as much on their team success as their stats. And Flacco has consistently led a team into deep playoff runs.

• dbolt48 says:

I think the best way to put it is Flacco is a playoff QB as of now and Tannehill isn’t. Now I’ll disagree on the Journeymen comment. Older vets, journeymen, no.

Try,
      I believe 100% if Tannehill was in Baltimore they go to the playoffs. I believe if Flacco was the QB in Miami they’d hit a few more big plays in the passing game, but still not a playoff team. He wouldn’t have a running game nor the time in the pocket he has in Baltimore. I know we had a 1,000yd rusher in Miller, but the running game was predicated on the read option with Tannehill holding extra defenders and giving the RB a mismatch. Struggled running from under center.

Enjoyed reading your story Tim. I know you said you had told it before but I don’t remember it if you did. Not that it isn’t memorable….I think I’ll just stop now. lol

8. professor lou says:

Tannehill’s stats are a product of two things: 1. the coaching he’s getting in Miami and 2. the system he is in. Put him in Baltimore and there’s definitely NO guarantee he’s putting up the same numbers he’s putting up here in Miami. Take a look at t he progression of Aaron Rodgers in his first three full seasons and you’re going to see some similarities between the two. That’s the way Joe Philbin works with his qb’s. Some may not want to give Philbin credit for being a good coach but HE is the one responsible for the development of Ryan Tannehill. He was handed a college qb with only 19 starts and he’s brought him to this point.
    Tannehill’s problem is he can put those numbers up in this system but he’s not the kind of qb at this point that can take a team and put it on his back and win games for you. If he was, we would have had those extra two games we needed to make the playoffs last year. Six games with 16 pts or less is on the offense. Defense faded at end of the season and there were injuires but we had chances on offense to put the game away and didn’t do it. Tannehill is a “game manager” at this point and that’s it. He’s given a game plan and works within the structure of the game plan. That’s it. He doesn’t create anything on his own. His reads are better but still not great. His accuracy is better but still needs to throw a deep ball every now and then and connect. He doesn’t recognize pressure like he should and that causes too many 3 and out’s or stalled drives.
    Overall, his progression has been good but he needs to take over the team this year and be the leader of the offense. The stats are good but being able to pull off another win or two is the difference between a game manager and a guy who can take the team down the field and win a game for you. Tannehill’s not there yet. Maybe he will be this year.
    I said he would be a three to four year project and I was correct.

• dbolt48 says:

Problem is our OL has been an ongoing project since 2008…..Do they finally finish correcting it so everyone can grow? Tomlinson, Franklin, etc. Would work wonders for this team.

Good piece Tim

And nice timing…lol

Lou

Philbin was TE/Asst OL coach 2003-2005, and then OL coach in 2006. From 2007 on he was OC, running Mike McCarthy’s offense. Maybe Tom Clements, the QB coach should get the credit. All Philbin did was implement McCarthy’s offense, it wasn’t his offense.

• dbolt48 says:

In fairness to Philbin he had to break down the opposing defenses and their weakness and develop the gameplan to exploit it. Very crucial in teaching a QB to attack different looks.

• professor lou says:

People have been saying that but that’s only speculation and that’s for people who want to take away from his accomplishments. The truth of the matter is Philbin was the guy responsible for Rodgers’ development while he was there. He specifically worked with the defenses to game plan for opponents and was the person who implemented the goals for Rodgers each year in terms of td/ into ratio, comp%, yds per attempt, etc. I’ve seen the video of him talking to Brian Billick about what they did to help Aaron Rodgers get his numbers where they wanted them to be year after year to improve his play. Like it or not, he’s doing the same with Tannehill. If Philbin isn’t doing it, then who is?

• professor lou says:

Rodgers also has publicly given Philbin credit for his development in his early years and said Joe was THE guy who was responsible for developing him.

Good stuff Tim – Enjoyed this!

Nice write Tim. And maybe you should have gone with the Steelers. Their approach more closely matches up with your patient self, but too late now. 🙂

Some ILB info

I think Philbin deserves credit for Tanny’s development

It’s philbins biggest “pro” IMO

Gronk is getting interviewed by TMZ and sees the cameraman has a Phins hat on and……..

Personally – I think Aaron Rodgers deserves credit, and I also think Ryan Tannehill deserves credit. Keep in mind Philbin was forced to fire Sherman, so Lazor here would have never happened. Rodgers is great, and Tannehill is on his way.

So the new stadium capacity will be about 65,000. That’s plenty enough seats, and when they don’t sell out, it won’t look as empty on TV.

The new seat are aqua too. The empty ones won’t stand out as much as the orange ones did.

I was looking at the stadium website. It looks pretty cool. I actually like the idea. I think a dome would be a mistake. This is FLA, and we should use whatever heat advantage we can.

Nationals have an indoor park……but then they play in the summer. No reason for it in football season, but that extra shade will be nice.

I should just politely bow out of the Philbin convo. I’m far too biased to really offer anything valuable to the dialogue. I would really love for him to prove me wrong, but so far, he hasn’t done anything but reinforce what I think.

19. professor lou says:

Any coach needs talent on the team to win. The same people who argue that Tannehill and the offense are stalling because of the problems with the offensive line that were created by Ireland’s inability to bring in talent will throw that argument out when I say that Philbin has done a better job than he gets credit for because of problems with the offensive line, and the LB’s and injuries.
    People will use these excuses all of the time to defend Tannehill and say you can’t win when you have an offensive line that can’t run block or pass protect and Ellerbe and Wheeler were bad signings and need to go, Misi was injured, we had a lot of db’s injured last season, etc, etc.
    But, Philbin gets NO credit for the coaching job he has done despite all of these issues. These issues weren’t created by Philbin.
    He’s working with what he’s got to work with; what he was given to work with by Ireland. If Hickey can bring in some better talent, shore up the o-line and solve some of the depth problems on both sides of the ball Philbin isn’t going to continue to take this team to 8-8 records. We will make the playoffs. Any coach would find these circumstances difficult.

prof lou — I’m actually not sold about Philbin as coach, not that he has done a bad job…only not a great one. I do like his approach to setting the strategy for the organization. He’s slow and steady, not trying to push for today at the expense of the future. Think that is how you build an organization that can be in there year-by-year in the salary cap era.

20. dbolt48 says:

I know a lot of you don’t visit the other blog, but I have a piece up on Jystin Hardy if interested for a quick read:

21. convict says:

My single biggest issue with Philbin is that he is a pussy. Afraid of big personalities. Afraid of taking chances on the field. Shows little confidence in his players through his game management.

Mike

We don’t know id Sanchez or Smith would have been better with a different coach

They are both talented
    But Rex sort of throws them out there to be eaten alive

Good piece of Hardy DBolt

I don’t know why he is talked about more

But I have seen him very highly ranked before

I’m gonna try to find a link

24. Silly Tim says:

Glad you enjoyed my little write up. I wrote this a few years back for the FME. But the story hasn’t changed so it’s in the books for the ages. 🙂

DBolt

Check this out

Some one thinks Hardy is the best WR in the draft

So you aren’t alone

26. Silly Tim says:

I’m going to avoid the Philbin debate because it’s the same opinions by the same people good or bad. Nothing has changed and nothing will change until this team becomes a playoff team. This is a big year for the team.

The acoustics in the renovated stadium will help us as well

They are saying it will be loud

This guy has some serious balls.

The Bills are considering signing Josh McCown

Way to waste all the talent at the skill positions buffalo

+ they have no first this year!
    Weeeeeeeee

30. Silly Tim says:

Piggy, I can’t say Hardy isn’t talked about more because Dbolt has been blowing his horn for awhile now. LOL

The video I’ve watched of him shows a WR who plays a lot bigger than he is. He looks like a natural.

CBS has him as the 17th rated WR

He isn’t getting enough respect from the experts

I know DBolt likes him
      But DBolt finds sleepers every year

Also guys like Perriman, mayle, diggs and Hill are around 17th with Hardy

So I guess we can fin a good WR in rounds 3-5 too

Comparing Cooper to Watkins

I think it’s clear the 2014 WR draft class was better than this years

But this years is excellent too

32. Silly Tim says:

I think Antonio Brown is faster then the 4.56 Dbolt posted. I think he ran in the 4.4s. He sure looks faster than that on the field.

Brown i think was high 4.4’s but he is football fast, he looks like he is zipping through the defenses, he is a guy id like to have and a guy who Hardy reminds me a lot of.

• dbolt48 says:

That was his official combine time in the 40. He ran a, I believe. 4.48 at his pro-day, but the combine is the only place we get the same click measurement for all participants. So it’s those times you can focus on for Hardy and compare to Brown.

33. Silly Tim says:

Piggy, if we don’t go big WR at #14 there will be options in the 2-4 rounds to get one.

There is a guy who is going to be areally good late round selection, if not wind up falling to UDFA, in Cam Worthy. Big dude, but watch him against Florida in the Birmingham bowl. He is a solid WR. Florida’s secondary is solid but he and Hardy both were gashing them.

Lol, Dbolt and I have been talkign up Hardy for about 4-5 months.

Thing i like most about him is how he plays and not so much about his 40 time or this or that, those numbers arent as impressive as the way he plays the game. He plays like Landry if not harder and he gets open period. He is all out every play and ofr a guy without great size he may be one of the better redzone threats in the draft.

• professor lou says:

One of the things you’ll see when you watch him is how fast he turns and gets upfield after the catch. Very quick.

• dbolt48 says:

Like I said how quickly he can get on top of a DBS and get him to flip his hips is elite.

35. Silly Tim says:

I think Hardy’s size and lack of mind blowing speed is what has him a 3-4 rd WR but that doesn’t mean he won’t be a gem.

36. Try Pod says:

dbolt48 says:
    February 16, 2015 at 10:57 am
    I know a lot of you don’t visit the other blog

There is an “other blog”? Hmm. This is news to me. But I’ll take your word for it.

It has been snowing steadily all day. About 5 inches so far. The weather forecast last night said anywhere from 8 to 14 inches where I live since it’s right on the line between the lesser and higher amounts. They also said it wouldn’t start until this afternoon. Glad I have today off work for the Prez Day holiday and don’t have to go out.

Nice article Tim thanks for sharing

The thing about WRs that is always underestimated is what they do before the ball arrives

The first steps from the LOS are crucial to success

A lot of people say Jerry Rice made every route look the same from LOS
    Which is why he was so successful

I don’t know how good Hardy is at that
    I haven’t seen enough of him yet

But seems like Jaelen Strong has a little of that in him

Strong is becoming my favorite samurai

(Lightning strikes behind Piggy)

Mcown to Bills is a good move for them & bad news for us

He had a pretty low QBR last year
      I would not call it a good move
      The future at qb is not bright there

He is a smart vet
      But he’s not a good qb

• Silly Tim says:

He’ll be 36 though and it’s not like he’s been an elite talent. I mean this is a guy we had on our team who couldn’t beat out Henne. LOL

41. Silly Tim says:

The true challenge for a GM is to diagnose where the depth is in a draft and draft accordingly. For example if you know DT or LB is deep at the top but thins out quickly, draft them early if you need one while you can and then dip into the deep pool at other positions like WR this year later on. You walk away with more talent that way as opposed to reaching for positions in order of need.

Oddlly enough Piggy you and i disagree on Strong. He is way down my list, like maybe 5th or 6th, Parker, White, DGB, Funchess, and im not sure i dont like Greene and Hardy better.

• dbolt48 says:

From what I’ve seen Strong needs to get better in his routes and more sudden at the top of his breaks. That said he’s a good high point player and is one of the best catching on contact. I think most of where he’s deficient is coachable. Don’t hate him, don’t love him, wouldn’t complain if he’s a Fin.

Piggy:
    I think Mcown is a good stop gap for the Bills. He has a strong arm and he is a vet. TB last year was a mess with the OC going out ill and an inexperienced guy handling all OC duties. Mcown helps the Bills in the short term

• Silly Tim says:

Hopefully he doesn’t help them. 🙂

To play better against our division we better have a better OL than we’ve had or we’re going to get more of the same. The Bills, Jets and Pats all have pretty solid defensive fronts now with the Bills leading the way with an elite DL.

The McCown move doesnt really worry me. It wont be much different than Kyle Orton.

Thanks for the link to the article D-Bolt

If there’s one thing I’ve learned this year, it’s not to judge a WR by his 40 time. If he’s like Antonio brown, please bring him here! I think pound for pound, Antonio is the best WR in football. He knows how to get open, even when double teamed, and he plays faster than guys who sprint faster than he does. He just plays the game at high speed, and a lot of that has to with his excellent body control, his great balance, and his ability to change direction very quickly. He never wastes motion.

He has similar skill set as Brown but he plays witht he heart of Landry. I wants it…………..

Are you insinuating that Brown doesn’t play with a lot of heart? If you are, that’s totally unfair.

Man get butthurt over nothing old man….lol No i wasnt knocking Brown’s heart, but Landry is a better example to most and to be honest he plays with more than Brown.

• dbolt48 says:

I think he means Landry is OCD about improving everyday. Read yesterday that his agent has been begging him to take time off. 2wks after the season ended Landry was out in Arizona working at a speed academy as he plans on starting on the perimeter.

• dbolt48 says:

Yep and those are the traits you see with Hardy. And despite his size Hardy is a hell of a high point player on jump balls. Like Landry he has elite timing to his jumps.

I don’t think McCown is great by any means, but I do think he’s an upgrade from Orton, and we know we have enough trouble with BUF as it is, we don’t need them to get any better.

Hey D – Any interest in writing your Fan Origin so we can put it up next Monday?

48. Silly Tim says:

All this talk about 40 times makes me wonder why guys don’t run their 40s with pads on and from their positional stance. Football isn’t track. It would give us a better idea of who gets off the line and carries their pads better. I understand it’s a pure athletic test, but it doesn’t really give you the best insight.

49. Silly Tim says:

Other than 2013 when McCown was playing at a high level with the Bears, he was nothing more than a journeyman backup in other seasons.

D-Bolt

Same offer to you, if you’d like to write your Fan Origin (Not your human creation origin!) :D, that would be cool, or if you prefer to do a scouting report, that’s good too.

51. Silly Tim says:

Landry is a guy who I think we know will work on his craft and get the most out of his ability. Some like him as a just a slot WR but his ability to go up and fight for the ball and his exceptional hands could be productive on the sideline as well. Not saying he becomes a perimeter WR all the time, just add that to his game.

LOL @ D – I’m not butthurt, I just think Antonio Brown is fantastic, and I would love to have him on my team any day!

I agree with you , he is one of my favorites and im pretty close to agreement with you about him being one if not the best all around receiver. Landr is something extra special though, see below.

Landry is the most impressive guy i have seen, he and Odell Beckhman are really pushing themselves to hone their craft. Im happy with guys who have so much heart/love for this game they play all out every play, leave nothing left and push themselves hard to improve every day. Ill be honest Landry if they are able to keep him here for a career like they did duper/clayton will probably wind up my favorite receiver all time. In Hardy i see the same potential, and that could be our new clayton/duper combo.

• dbolt48 says:

Imagine Landry & Hardy pushing each other to be great. These are the types of guys Ryan gives them a 2wk notice that he’d like to do a voluntary passing camp & the both show up to his door step the next day wanting to work with him to prep for that camp😄

DBolt and D

I think Strong is exceptional in his breaks

He has such a quick burst
    But after a few steps he picks up speed and he has a quick burst when he gets there

Did you know he does the triple jump
    It shows when he runs

I’m really liking Strong

• dbolt48 says:

I think he can be exceptional at times in his breaks. I’ve seen him round off his routes to often & just isn’t consistently sudden enough coming out of them. As I said good coaching can take care of that. Outside of that I like his physicality. Once he settles a little more with his routes you’re looking at a Marques Colston style player. Didn’t know he was triple jump kid, but that is bound to help toe tap coordination on Boundary catches.

I think it also shows he has that little burst you need

His physicality is exceptionally
        He blocks well
        He fights for the ball
        But he also does a good job of setting up the break

He will go almost right into the D&B
        Make the Db plant his foot
        And then make the move

I like DeVante Parker a lot
        But I don’t think Parker does that well
        And that can be a huge advantage to a WR

Our plan is to run the origins story every Monday

So anyone interested please feel free to submit

Also we have a category for scouting reports
    So we would love to get your submissions for that as well

Even if you have submitted elsewhere

56. Silly Tim says:

If we land a big WR who can be a pain in the ass on the perimeter, win those jump balls, do some damage after the catch and be a red zone threat, with Wallace’s speed on the other side, Landry is going to destroy the middle the field. Not to forget Clay doing his thing if/when we re-sign him. Letting him walk will be a huge mistake.

I hope we resign clay
      And I think doing so gives us the luxury of young wrs

Clay had been reliable

Hartline too despite my criticism

It sort of makes sense to part ways with Gibson and Wallace and bring in a big WR and maybe a speedy WR to work in with Landry, clay hartline and Simms

I think that can work well

I like Hardy’s hands, awareness, and aggressiveness for a slight guy!
    But if he’s in the same group on the board as Perriman & Mayle, I’d have to take Perriman or Mayle because of their size advantage that our WR corp needs…and Perriman would be my pick over Mayle at that point too.

I think the size might give a guy the edge too

• dbolt48 says:

Size will come into focus. I’ve also said I think when all is said and done Perriman will be the best WR of this draft. Now that there’s a lot of Round 1 speculation with him I’m focusing on other options although Hardy has always been one of my preferred options at WR.

Btw Tim, nice origin story…I think I remember you talkin about that a year or two ago.

FYI humans
    The Oinkees is running tomorrow
    I know it’s belated

But the awards as ready

It’s about time!!! lol

I had tech difficulties with the video

By the way I emailed you a sneak peak

Take a look and give me some oinkback

I looked at it. It was really well done. I probably won’t be able to go on the blog tomorrow. The computer program I had to go into work to be trained on yesterday is going to be starting tomorrow, and I will be training the entire day, when I’m not dealing with patients.

Dang, this was my LG vet FA that I wanted who won’t cost as much as Lupati & Frankin.
    He’s just 25 & playing well…a young Justin Smiley if you will, and more suited for our ZBS than the two top FA Guards. 😉

There is mutual interest between free agent LG Clint Boling and the Bengals.
    Boling started all 16 games for the Bengals last season, grading out as PFF’s No. 19 guard among 78 qualifiers. He’s Cincy’s top free agent and our No. 5 guard available. The Enquirer calls this a deal that “can easily get done.”

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly
    Everyone will spend an entire week picking Jameis Winston apart at the Senior Bowl. Why would he throw & subject himself to more criticism?
    ____________________
    Aww, how cute. Omar protecting his lil Jameis. But it’s ok when he rips Tanny daily…SMH

62. Silly Tim says:

Dbolt, I don’t know that it was a duo story with David. We were suppose to do something like that but it never got off the ground. I don’t remember how it was posted.

63. Silly Tim says:

We also have Matt Hazel back in the mix this year at WR. Maybe he steps up his game and surprises.

Free agent QB Josh McCown left his Monday visit to the Bills without a contract.
    A source tells the Buffalo News that this was strictly a visit and salary numbers were not even discussed. McCown, working from a position of power thanks to his Feb. 11 release from the Bucs, will now make one or two more visits and build contract leverage. Yes, there is a market for a 35-year-old journeyman quarterback who went 1-10 with a 11:14 TD-to-INT ratio last season. Ultimately, it wouldn’t be a surprise if McCown did end up signing with the Bills because he knows he can beat out E.J. Manuel for the starting gig.

65. dbolt48 says:

Silly Tim says:
    February 16, 2015 at 1:05 pm
    He makes these mistakes all the time. Winston also isn’t a senior so he would never be at the Senior Bowl. Think before you type Omar. LOL
    Kind of like his Tannehill Philbin 5yr playoff comment. That wasn’t an accident neither.

Now that Tanny is on verge of a $100M contract, Omar was squawking about time for the NFL to get these QB contracts under control…LOL SMH

• Silly Tim says:

Yeah he’s communicating like a total novice.

• dbolt48 says:

Yeah, like I said last night it’s constant lies.

Dolphins coaches fixed QB competition in 2012 only playing Tannehill in perfect weather conditions and forcing Moore to play in all adverse conditions

I never vouched for drafting Matt Barkley in the first round of the 2013 draft

Ryan Tannehill & Joe Philbin & Ryan Tannehill haven’t been able ,in their 5yrs together, to get the Dolphins to the playoffs.

Why do I get an email every time there is a post & how do I stop that?

67. Silly Tim says:

LOL @ Dbolt. Like the coaches would create an inaccurate QB competition for themselves. Why? To appease the fans and media? Yeah okay, they don’t follow what we think. LOL

I like Hazel lot, i think hw will fit in this year, may even unseat Matthews. You are right however, with regards to him on twitter. He does post often but its usually either religious blurb, some sort of exchange with his momma who tweets to him somewhat regularly or its him talking about drama or having to look over his shoulder at some of his “wanna be” friends. Maturity wise he probably needs to get with it lol. Im not sure though he is worse than a few of the younger players, including Matthews who i dont always see shit on twitter about but you heard things about it from TC last year. Maybe he straightens himself out.

• dbolt48 says:

That’s my issue. He seems to be following suit with Matthews, Gibson, & Wallace. You see Landry tweet very little outside of Superbowl weekend & you hear from Jackson that he’s busting his ass to replace Hartline or Wallace on the boundary. Then you see Hazle just tweeting like he’s a 13yr old kid. Fuckit, reality will hit hard when he finds out how easily replaceable he is in this league.

I agree, and if he wasnt a last years draftee i wouldnt cut him any slack. He hopefully learns. Matthews i like because when he plays, he plays full bore, but to me he is still in that kinda mode and he has been in the league too long to act like that, same for Wallace and Gibson. Gibson never struck me like that but this year he decided to back the play of his buddy instead of act like a pro.

Do ya take a look at CJ2K if and when the Jets cut him?

• Silly Tim says:

I go young at RB and only go vet on a one year deal who can play a role, not to be the workhorse. Miller is our lead back, he needs a complement and some depth behind him. He’s developing nicely.

I agree. Im not a fan of CJ2K he is a big hype guy, and im over these guys in the NFL who play that game. We do though when we draft, need to think about getting a guy who if need be could hold down the RB position, if we run into a situation where we cant re-sign Miller, his contract is coming up next year and there is no 5th extension year for him.

D — I’m thinking Gore and Miller are UM and off-season workout buddies. Might make for an interesting combo.

I have been pulling for this but it will take two people to want it, and they both have to agree on same price. I think we COULD get it done, but we dont have a lot of wiggle room to sign him for much more than OUR price. Our cap situation is too tight to throw money around.

I think he wants to stay with the niners, but we have to be first on his wish list if we don’t. If we want it done……trust in Dawn.

Need to start and Omar internet meme. Maybe if it goes viral he will get as much negative press as Williams and have to retire out of shame….

Ken — you must have clicked the box that says “Notify me of new comments via email.”

Just unclick.

72. Silly Tim says:

Ken says:
    February 16, 2015 at 1:45 pm
    No I want my phone to stop vibrating every 10 seconds

Do ya? LOL

Tim Knight – My Fan Origin

Back when I was a young lad at 7-8 years old many of the kids in my neighborhood collected sports trading cards, baseball and pickles for me.

at least be truthful.

74. Silly Tim says:

D, I don’t think you have to develop RBs years in advance. That is the one position where guys step in right away, even mid, late and UDFAs.

However you do need a vet even a younger one who knows how to pick up blitzes and be a check down for the QB in specific game situations.

I totally agree. By far the most plug-n-play position in football.

Gillislee….you guys doubted me on Jenkins….ill be welcoming your apologies mid year again this upcoming one 🙂

• Silly Tim says:

I like Gillislee and have said he should be considered in the mix. He got hurt and didn’t even play last year so it’s not like he hurt his performance on the field. But he will have to have a good camp and he and Williams stepping up is a much better situation then spending dollars on RBs. But we won’t know that until after FA and the draft so Hickey and the coaches have to have a vision for these guys. I believe they like Williams.

Stanger:
    Clicked it multiple times still doing it

I tried signing out it didn’t work. I tried unfollowing on FB that didn’t work

What do you mean by “saving out”

Saving out i mean, make a change and update your profile….sign out, sign back in make the change back to off, save your profile, sign out and then back in.

Who are some of you guys waiting to see combine results of to determine if they would be on radar?

Some of the CB’s, like Collins, K. Johnson and safeties, like Holliman, D. Smith, and also the LB’s, especially Perryman, Kendricks, and Dawson. I’m also curious to see how TE Clive Walford runs, although I doubt he’s on the radar for us.

I forgot, I really want to see Olomu as well

I more meant guys that you arent really considering right now but if they blew out the combine you would reconsider, or someone who is on the fence but if he sucked at the combine you might move on to more promising candidates. Something where the combine might flip the script for ya.

79. Silly Tim says:

At the office:
    Ken: Oh yeah that’s it!
    Co-workers: (looking over their computers at the commotion)
    Ken: Oh yeah baby, work it!
    Co-workers: (looking over their computers at the commotion)
    Ken: (making gestures that there is nothing to see here)
    Co-worker: You alright, Ken?
    Ken: Yeah I’m fine, I just sneezed.
    Co-worker: Oh okay. (rolling eyes)
    Ken: Oh God don’t stop!
    Co-workers: (looking over their computers at the commotion)
    Ken: (thinking he better hit the bathroom)

ken

the same thing happened to me. all you have to do to fix it is email me an front and back image of your Visa card and i will take care of it for you.

I posted how to attempt to stop the emails the other day. Did that not work?

D

Stephone Anthony, Vince Mayle, D-Bolt’s Justin Hardy

Im curious about Anthony as well, and Mayle. Mayle im not big on right now, good combine and id probably wok him into some strategies taking a speedster earlier and him as a fallback big guy.

Anthony if he put up some good combine number really would help me on some of my draft strats lol, because right now if i go past 3rd and dont select a ILB, i get someone im concerned is not going to be able to help us at all next year.

Strong, as previously mentioned before, is not a guy i have top of my list but he might supplant DBG and/maybe Funchess and be my no 3 guy, if he had a really good 40 time, and cone drills.. I agree with his physicality, but Funchess’ versatility, and DGB’s straight line speed, currently have them edging him out. If he looked really sharp in either of those skills he might, with the physicality pluses, become more of a favorite..

Ken says:
    February 16, 2015 at 2:12 pm

I thought I left my card on the couch?

that was your Amex and stop acting like i let you up on my sofa. no one here believes that.

oh yeah Amex said you are at your limit.

I have now go into my profile and blocked email notification. Somebody post and see if that works. LOL.

To stop email notifications. I think this will work. I’m not getting them so I can’t say for sure. Click your avi in the upper right corner. Then click account settings. This takes you to your account page. Click on Notifications. The second item down is ‘Subscriptions Delivery” click the drop down and select ‘No email notifications’ Then scroll down and click the check box that says block email notifications and then click save changes. Hopefully that will do it. 🙂

I think it has stopped but why did it suddenly start doing that?

Thank you all for helping to figure that out. It was getting really annoying.

89. Silly Tim says:

I’ve seen Mayle discussed as a good prospect.

Footage i have seen looks ok, but i think he is one of those guys where you need to see his upper end potential from skills comps at the combine to really get an appreciation for him.

Two things you didn’t know. First is that one of the posters here is Jerry Seinfeld. Second is from his SNL reunion spiel:

“You know there are so many things about Saturday Night Live that people don’t know. I just found out that one of the original cast members in 1975 was Brian Williams.”

I heard that anytime a comedian took a shot at Brian Williams it was almost awkward there, given both SNL and Willams represent NBC.

Brian Williams turned on my email notification.

Ken says:
    February 16, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I think it has stopped but why did it suddenly start doing that?

it was mike e hacking into your computer

ken

you hate it? imagine poor m13 and all of his valuable draft scouting reports and then mike e goes and hacks into the poor guys computer to steal those vital secrets.

Ken, glad you overcame the pesky evil email notifications.

BRANDON BRIDGE QB SOUTH ALABAMA
    GRADE: 5.0
    HEIGHT: 6’5″
    WEIGHT: 235LBS

ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS Tall, thin frame with room for more thickness. Three-quarter thrower with elite arm strength and instant release. Has enough arm to make off-balance intermediate and deep throws that few (if any) in this draft can make. Can drop deep ball into a bucket with accuracy and had a completion of 42 yards or more in eight of his 11 games in 2014. Showed some ability to work through progressions and uses his eyes to freeze the safety before taking vertical shots down the sideline. Able to make big plays with his feet. Had runs of 65 and 54 yards in 2014. Isn’t just a pull-and-go runner from pocket. Will buy himself time and continue to scan the field for open targets.
    WEAKNESSES Coin-flip accuracy with receivers having no idea where to expect the throw when the ball leaves his hand. Footwork is a mess at times, causing the ball to sail. Base gets very narrow with feet right on top of each other as he bounces in the pocket. Rushes some throws unnecessarily rather than finding his rhythm and getting it out on time. Fastball pitcher delivering nothing but gas on most throws. Must improve his touch to create more catchable throws. Average decision maker. Believes he has enough arm for any window and will throw into tight coverage. Relies too often on a fadeaway release.

SOURCES TELL US “He can throw it through a wall, but who knows if he can throw it right to me standing 15 yards away. Hard to get drafted when you can’t complete passes. I will be interested to see if our quarterback coach thinks those mechanics are fixable.” — AFC South scout.

BOTTOM LINE His arm strength is pure NFL, but his lack of functional accuracy simply cannot be overlooked. It’s one thing to miss with ball placement just inside or just a little bit high, but Bridge’s throws are all over the map. He puts so much heat on them that his receivers struggle to make successful adjustments. That size, arm and athleticism are definitely traits worth taking a chance on, and Bridge could become an interesting talent down the line if a team is able to get his mechanics and touch where they need to be.
    ——————————————–
    Above from NFL.com, and id say fairly accurate, but i think he has better accuracy than they give him credit for. His receiver dropped COUNTLESS passes that were thrown to him, possibly because he, as they said, “fast-balled” everything to them. His deep passes though 9 times out of 10 were right on the money. He is like Tanny with reverse passing issues, good mobility, but will have to work on touch of his mid range throws. Would like to see how his combine goes, but i can promise you, SOMEONE is going to draft this guy rounds 5-6, and I wouldn’t mind it being us if we have picked up some other picks making it affordable to.

Tim likes his sharks – I like dolphins and sea lions.

SHANE CARDEN QB EAST CAROLINA
    GRADE: 5.1
    HEIGHT: 6’2″
    WEIGHT: 221LBS.

ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS Three-year starter. Has a high football IQ and processes quickly as he scans the field. Comes from an athletic family. Has work ethic and toughness that NFL teams covet in a quarterback prospect. Leader who has shouldered a high percentage of the East Carolina offense. Works to extend plays and keeps eyes down the field.

WEAKNESSES Doesn’t generate much power from his lower body. Arm-thrower with less than desirable arm strength. Scouts believe his deep-ball accuracy will take a huge dive in the pros due to lack of downfield zip. Lacks foot quickness to escape pocket and consistently make teams pay. Has a pronounced windup.

SOURCES TELL US “He looks like he’s throwing a javelin and he is on the wrong side of where we want quarterbacks to be in terms of athleticism, arm strength and accuracy, but his intangibles are way up there. I absolutely love his competitive nature but I wish he had better traits.” — AFC national scout

BOTTOM LINE Has NFL size and NFL intangibles but might not possess the necessary physical traits to project into a starter’s role in the NFL. His competitiveness, intelligence and production will matter more to teams that are less reliant on traits-based quarterbacks. Might be looking at a career as a quality backup.
    ——————————————————
    Another guy i really like, but as they said im not expecting a starter or even a potential starter. I would want him a a backup, and the intelligence he shows making the right throws, and the fact he is going to push himself and help the entire QB unit by proxy, is something i really like. High character kid, maybe he even falls to UDFA, and we can get him then.

98. Silly Tim says:

Stanger, uhem… I said I became a Dolphin fan partially because I loved dolphins. 🙂

I love marine life and all of nature. Sharks just fascinate me as do dolphins.

Tim — but like it or not you are the shark guy. I just like goofy and friendly…..and sea lions are that.

Ken says:
    February 16, 2015 at 3:11 pm (Edit)

Of all the second tier QBs the one I like best is Hundley at UCLA.

101. Silly Tim says:

I really feel like Johnson and Francis are important pieces to what we do at DT. What do the coaches think of them?

I know they like Fede who can be a swing guy at DE/DT but as far as a pure DT, those two could make a difference in how we approach the position.

I guess we won’t be signing Cobb, or for that matter Dez & Demaryius Thomas…lol
    Plus if Cobb gets that kinda money, we can expect to see that for Jarvis Landry in 3 more years.

According to ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky, indications are free agent Randall Cobb is seeking a contract that averages $9M per season.
    The extension Jordy Nelson signed with the Packers last season averaged $9.75M, comparable Victor Cruz is making $7.64M and last year’s No. 1 free agent wideout DeSean Jackson got $8M annually. Cobb’s demands could very well be met on the open market come March, as he’s just 24 years old and uniquely explosive out of the slot. And we don’t doubt that the Packers, who are scheduled to have nearly $23M in cap space, want him back. But it’s unclear if GM Ted Thompson wants to dump all this cash on Cobb, especially with intriguing cheap youngsters like Davante Adams and Jeff Janis on the roster.

Tim, on your post above @ 3:12
    That’s usually the case at all positions…what do the coaches and GM think of the young depth guys, are they developing enough to think they can compete for and or win a starting role.

This is what is a tad concerning with Jenkins….they seemed reluctant to have him squarely in the mix until their hands were forced by injury…that was solely on Philbin & Coyle tho, since Hickey just arrived.
    We’ve also read and have seen where Coyle and at times Philbin, aren’t big on rookies getting much PT.

• Silly Tim says:

They played Jenkins more and more as a rookie and when Ellerbe went out in the 1st game last year Jenkins’ reps went up. Not fair to say he wouldn’t have been in the mix anyway, it was the first game.

2012: Tannehill, Martin, Vernon and Randall
      2013: Jordan, Davis, Jenkins, Sims and Sturgis
      2014: James, Landry, Aikens, Fede, Williams, McCain

You also have to look at the circumstances of which rookies played and who didn’t and why. But rookies have played a lot of roles under this regime along with other younger players.

Ok fair enough…

• dbolt48 says:

I think the true issue is we see failing bets on a consistent basis and then we look at these rookies who are physically much more talented, but aren’t deemed gae ready by the coaches. The problem is the lack of talent acquired over the years via the draft. We should have homegrown capable vets right now in many positions of need, but we don’t due to some poor drafts. Because of that we have non adhesive band aids trying to hold things together while we try and grow our young talent. The good news is I think we are finally starting to accumulate that talent and develop it. Once you get this in place you don’t see the hardships of injuries overrun your team like it did this year. Hopefully in a couple years we have the talent and depth to develop a young guy like Jordy Nelson behind a Driver & Jennings who’s ready to take over a starting role when someone’s time ends with the team.

…from ESPN
    Releasing A.J. Hawk would save the Packers $3.5 million against the cap.
    It seems like a no-brainer. Hawk barely played down the stretch (31.1 percent of snaps over the last seven games) and the Packers need cap room to lock up Randall Cobb long-term. At age 31 and moving slower than ever, Hawk isn’t worth a $5.1 million cap hit. Veterans Brad Jones and Julius Peppers could also find themselves on the chopping block this offseason.

• Silly Tim says:

Hawk is on the downside. Peppers is a part-time pass rusher now like Kevin Green, Trace Armstrong, Charles Haley, Fred Dean became.

I think we should start looking at Wake that way. Get maximum performance out of him with 25 snaps or so per game as opposed to the 47 he averaged last season. That means Jordan, Fede and McCain step up.

D

Sorry man, had some errands to run, and more to come. Yeah, Mayle has me interested, big bodied receiver who could be a good red zone threat, and it’s not that I expect him to run a 4.4 or lower, but if he runs a 4.5 or lower, it will be impressive, and may move him up some. Totally agree with the LB scenario. Despite the fact that we need one, we may not get a good a shot at the right guy at the right time, so we may need to look at a guy like Stephone Anthony, so that’s the same reason why I’m interested in seeing how he runs.

Ken says:
    February 16, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Wrong place.

that is what she said.

February 16, 2015 at 3:41 pm

D

Sorry man, had some errands to run, and more to come.

great, we all know that means. first m13 then ken’s now the threat to hack more PC’s

LOL @ FFR – Dammit! You know me too well!

Dbolt,
    Yeah, I was gonna continue typing about lack of talent when I replied to Tim, but got lazy…lol
    This is where it’s crucial for Hickey to have another good draft & hopefully better luck ‘injury wise’ in FA.

110. Silly Tim says:

The 2nd rd might be the time to get a LB. Right now in the 1st I’d have to say, DT, CB, OL or WR if you want one of the top guys. Not sure LB measures up with those positions in the 1st round.

I’m leaning towards trade down unless a few players are there that are special

Then maybe LB, CB, WR, OL or DT
      But after a trade down

I would not mind having multiple 2nd rounders

I hate to go OL in the 1st…we’ll be getting Albert back, Turner should be ready, so I’d add another G in FA to make sure we have quality to protect Tanny & to run the ball.

DT, can also be addressed in FA, plus as you mentioned we have some young guys in the wings with Francis, Johnson & Johnson, and Fede

CB, not so sure we should go 1st round there either…depends on a few factors, the most glaring is what do we have in 2nd & 3rd round picks Taylor & Davis when they get back from injury as well as the other youngins, Aikens, Thomas, Seamster, Rose.

LB’s, I think you’re right about the talent there that can be had @ LB in the 2nd-4th round. This also depends on what we do with Ellerbe, Wheeler, and if McCain, Tripp, and even Jordan are part of the plan in our LB corps.

WR, we know we need a big body WR…do we go for that playmaker early? I’m leaning that way quite a bit…especially knowing we’ll be dumping Wallace, if not this year then for sure next. Then we also know that we can’t sustain Hartline & Gibson’s current salaries. This is what really pushes me to go WR.

Tim, I posted that cause I think AJ Hawk can still play. He had 90 tackles last year. He has pretty good instincts.
    But I agree on Peppers, not interested…and yes we got to give Wake just premium snaps in passing sits…hopefully T Will, the new DL coach can convince Coyle to do better with the rotations.

• Silly Tim says:

Again, not fair on Coyle with rotations. He used Starks, Mitchell, Odrick, Shelby, Johnson, Fede, Wake, Vernon, Jordan, McCain etc. on the DL.

Jordan was suspended the first 6 games and McCain missed time with a death in the family (never made the trip to London), an illness and a few injuries. Then Johnson went on IR. What else was he suppose to do? He’s trying to win the game.

We need the players to step up, not the coaches to have faith in them. That comes with stepping up. Coaches always say if you’re not available you’re of no use to me. That’s just the reality of it.

I agree with the LB’s, but the guys we might be targeting might go before we pick in the 2nd RD. It’s entirely possible that both Kendricks and Perryman are gone before that. I think Kendricks will go earlier, and Perryman should be there, but you never know.

• Silly Tim says:

That’s always a risk but when you look at saying the same thing about other positions, before you know it a Perryman or Dawson is there at #47.

Of course, but that’s why I’m interested in seeing what Stephone Anthony runs at the combine. 🙂

114. Silly Tim says:

Guys, I’m just mentioning the depth in this draft in the 1st rd and the BPA at a position we need to upgrade. Not saying do this or that with anyone specific or any position.

Mr. Hand, I’m very interested in Stephone Anthony as well. I don’t think his 40 will be that good, but that is a good thing for us to target him a lil later. If he nails a fast 40, then he’ll be moving up the boards.

116. Silly Tim says:

The only LB I see taking at #14 is Shaq Thompson due to him being a freak athlete. I view him as WOLB/Nickel/STs guy. I have no problem taking him at #14 if he plays a lot. I don’t view him as a safety, but a nickel LB plays like a box safety. If he can play 3 downs and play STs maybe even as a return man, he’s worth it.

Maybe he plays 20 snaps per game as a rookie at LB both base and nickel. Plays on STs coverage units, maybe 10 snaps per game, and returns kicks 2-3 per game. That’s a lot of value as a rookie while his potential develops as a core positional player. Who knows what kind of impact plays he might make along the way.

If that was the case would you take him?

I think I’m less interested in Shaq. I’m worried about him getting wiped out of plays all the time. If one Kevin White, Devante Parker, Danny Shelton or even La’el Collins, I think I might be more interested in one of those guys. Danny Shelton only if we let Starks and Odrick walk.

I wonder if Philbin can convince Hickey to sign Tramon Williams whom he’s very familiar with in GB. Maybe a two year deal would be good. Him & Grimes would be a tight vet tandem on the corners till we can get youngins up to speed.
    They would also help out the DL with coverage sacks/pressures
    Remember, Philbin & Hickey need to win now.

PS. Tramon has proven to be pretty durable unlike Finnegan.

GDP

La’el can play T and G. The way I see it as of now, Albert may not be back to start the season. James can play LT, and you have Collins at RT. I also a hole at G right, even assuming Billy Turner fills one spot. Pouncey goes back to C, and we still need a G. Collins them moves to G once Albert is back, so he can start every game.

I knew this is the scouting on him, but I don’t think you spend your #14 pick there. He’s no James and I don’t see Hickey going for another OL with his 1st pick in a spot higher than last year. 🙂
      He’s got to be thinking playmaker, need to keep Philbin’s & mine job!

OK Mr. GDP, but you better shut your trap about Tanny not getting good protection! 😉

I’d rather have Parker or White as well, but if they’re gone, you take the BPA, and basically, I think Collins would be a better fit than Shaq. I could be wrong, but he just might be too small LB, and you shouldn’t be taking him at #14 to play S, because he’s a work in progress.

• Silly Tim says:

What you’re getting at is we need better overall talent on the OL. I still feel finding a younger version of a guy like Colledge is the way to go in FA at one of the guard spots.

Either, or possibly both. Odrick we may lose out to a higher bidder even if we are interested, and we might just cut Starks because of his salary.

Mando got this one right:

“The Dolphins have only two free agents even remotely worthy of discussing: DT Jared Odrick and TE Charles Clay. I doubt either gets tagged.

The likely one-year guaranteed salary for a defensive tackle that receives the franchise tag will be in the $11 million neighborhood. Is Odrick worth that?

The likely one-year guaranteed salary for a tight end that receives the franchise tag will be in the $8 million neighborhood. Is Clay worth that.”

He’s not even close to being worth the franchise tag. No way.

Still sticking with either Starks or Odrick will be back, but not both.

It’s worth it only if the new Cap is raised enough and if you clear the space to make it work after all other options have been explored. It buys you 1 year to make up your mind.
        Philbin & Hickey are in a Win Now mode I’m sure.

Not so sure about that GDP. Philbin should be, but think he is both a stand-up guy and a patient one. ON Hickey….not so sure he and Philbin come as a pair. Ross has said good stuff about him, and not like Ireland didn’t outlast the trifecta.

• Silly Tim says:

Neither is worth the franchise tag.

Silly Tim says:
    February 16, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Is why I keep pounding the table for Clint Boling 25yo FA LG from Bengals.
    Hear me pounding the table???

122. Silly Tim says:

I’d go with Starks one more year at $6M rather than locking up Odrick at the same rate longer. That way you have Mitchell and Starks and the 4 young DTs already on the roster competing not counting Fede as the swing man.

123. Silly Tim says:

I’m interested to see the measurables of these guys at the combine. Is Shaq Thompson 6-1 233 4.4 or 5-11.5 224 4.5?

Mr. Hand, I’m not sold on Shaq, never was @ #15…I’d rather reach & take Kendricks or Perryman there if I had to go ILB.
    I could be very wrong, but it worries me when a guy is not only being thought of as a position change in the NFL, but his college coach used him all over the place.
    I know there has been a few notable cases, but it usually doesn’t go to well. See Dion Jordan. You take chances on guys like that with lower round picks.

• Silly Tim says:

I thought the same thing. Another impressive athlete who may not be ready to make a big enough impact. This regime can’t afford that.

125. Silly Tim says:

Stanger, I also don’t feel Philbin and Hickey are tied the hip. Philbin was Ross’ first HC signing and he’s giving him his 4 years to build his program and make the playoffs. Sure he inherited Ireland as GM the first two seasons and then Hickey was hired with him here the last two, but his teams have gone 8-8 the last two seasons controlling their own destiny with playoff possibilities only to fail both times down the stretch. That can’t happen again or it’s time to look for a new HC.

Hickey was also Ross’ first GM hiring after an exhausting process just this past year. Not sure he wants to start that over too. I can see Mr. T and Hickey being the driving force looking for a new HC if that’s the case in 2016 (hope not) and Ross will only play tiebreaker. Ross hired Mr. T to be his football consultant because Carl Peterson is living in the jungles of Burma pretending to be a baby monkey. LOL

And I think for Ross giving the whole franchise over to a guy like Cowher would be a problem. Keep Hickey, even as a clear #2, and he has his guy in there.

February 16, 2015 at 4:54 pm
    ____________________________
    I don’t think Hickey has a lock on the job at all. You hire a big name HC after Philbin goes 8-8 again, that big name HC will more times than not want his own GM. Plus that could be partly why Tannenbaum is here for the future as GM, he knows HC’s well as an agent and vise versa.

Big name coach?

You know…. do they really have to spell it out to ya…you know there is only one with these guys….and he is a step closer to being a Phin now that he is at the bosses alma mater…obviously it was a preliminary step for him taking over next year.

February 16, 2015 at 2:52 pm
    No problems getting a QB, but is he #2 ready or would we need someone else if Tanny went down?
    —————————————
    Nope, i dont think he is. Carden likely is more ready to help us make it through a game or two if Tanny gets hurt, but truthfully, even considering some of the vet backups out there that would be affordable, none are going to make us comfortable for the “in case Tanny goes down” scenario. To me if don’t resign Moore who we have confidence in, we might as well just roll with a rookie backup and pray nothing happens to Tanny. I dont think any option right significantly more affordable than Moore is any less scary.

So then he’d be a development guy, but no problem with that. We’ve seen what the Pats have done with there’s……least some of them.

I don’t get why people think Odrick is worth keeping or investing in long term. What has he ever done to warrant a long term investment.?

I am a fan of L’ael Collins. I love his versatility and contrary to GDP I think you grab him if he is there at 14. Many mocks have him gone before then.

• Silly Tim says:

When it’s all said and done, I don’t care how the draft plays out as long as it helps improve the team.

If we make the playoffs nobody will care who was drafted where.

He had a let down year this year. I like his versatility, but i don’t think your getting a good buy at 14.

Im still taking McKinney for my ILB unless he is already gone. He has the best athletic ability, can be moved inside and outside, pre-loaded versatility. He has size and speed you cant teach and all flaws i saw in him are coach-able, and most the other prospects have relatively the same kinda flaws. I dont think we do wrong with Kendricks, and/or Perryman, or even Wilson for that matter, but i do still feel McKinney has a slight edge over the rest of these guys.

In terms of back up QBs I think we need a vet behind Tannehill. A guy like Carden or most mid to late round rookies would strictly be a development project. If we re-sign Moore you know he is a guy who is capable of winning a ball game or 2 should Tannehill go down. It doesn’t have to be Moore there is a pretty good QB market for vet backups this year. It should help keep the market price down.

My guess is we end up with Moore again. He likes it here. Only outside on that is if he wants to give it that shot to be the guy, but think he’s passed the window for that.

• Silly Tim says:

Agreed. A rook coming in will likely mean season over. I don’t think a draft pick on a QB this year makes sense.

A rook in the 6th or 7th to be a developmental player I am okay with but anything prior to that would be a poor use of draft pick imo.

Who at backup do you think comes in and holds things down in a way you would feel confident. The type QB Carden is, i would feel comfortable with a game or two, not much after. Keenum, no way i have any more confidence in him. I see a lot of recognizable names that are FA’s this year but none of them are going to be good backups for us and most of them will be about as expensive as Moore. If you want a vet, just pay Moore to stay.

132. Silly Tim says:

Matt Moore will be 31 this season, he’s always been a career backup. I don’t t see him getting a legit starting chance anywhere and I think he knows it.

Well, the Bills were looking at Josh McCown to compete with Manuel.

I can see him going to Jets or Rams where he might have a chance to be no. 1 because of either poor play or injury by the incumbent but there a lot of other options out there as well so no guaranty he does that. I tend to agree with Stanger that he comes back to Miami because the options are few and he likes it in Miami.

I dont know who you guys hink you are going to be getting thats not going to cost you upwards of what Moore cost and will provide any security “in case of”

The so called decent FA backup QB’s are gonna be in the $2.5-$4M range.

• Silly Tim says:

Moore’s value is going down, not up. $5+M per year is probably $2.5M now.

Tim, if he takes $2.5 I’d get the ink on paper ASAP!

Im not seeing why going with a rookie seems like a disaster, in fact most teams do this, alot of them are doing it right now. Its hard to carry a franchise QB salary, franchise LT salary, franchise WR salary, franchise LDE salary, franchise CB salary, and expect to pad any other positions with guys who are top of their salary ranges. You gotta cut somewhere,, or have lower salaries there i should say. A backup like you guys are wanting for “security” is going to cost probably at least 3mil a year and i would bet money we would still lose those two games he filled in lol. You just need a smart dude who doesnt make mistakes and hope the rest of the team can get you through those games. Game manager type dude.

Gotta run. Peace to you all.

This tweet should get Omar kicked out of the press box & stadium altogether…lol

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly
    Confession: I really don’t care what you folks pay to attend Dolphins games. I really have no idea why you don’t stay home. Better on TV.

Even more reason for the Phins org to love Omar.
      O — ever wonder why Mando has all the inside info?

I swear this guy has some sort of mental condition. He says the most asinine and pointless shit randomly, and he contradicts himself almost every other tweet. Dont talk QB, but let me tell you everything wrong with our QB. Racism shouldnt be tolerate, how did it feel the be a white WR in college Ryan….

• Silly Tim says:

LMAO!!! He does seem to be losing it.

I have mentioned before he may be bipolar and if he’s not I feel even worse for him.

getterdone says:
    February 16, 2015 at 5:35 pm
    Tim, if he takes $2.5 I’d get the ink on paper ASAP!
    —————————————
    Im with ya on that, that would be best case scenario, but its not going to happen.

Silly Tim says:
    February 16, 2015 at 5:24 pm
    Repy
    getterdone says:
    February 16, 2015 at 5:26 pm
    Well, the Bills were looking at Josh McCown to compete with Manuel.
    Silly Tim says:
    February 16, 2015 at 5:32 pm
    And? LOL
    _______________________
    …And Moore could be in play for another team to compete for a starting role. Pretty obvious. 🙂

• Silly Tim says:

Until they replace him with their rookie mid or late season. That’s what these guys go through. Nobody is going to invest in Matt Moore as their undisputed starting QB.

In baseball there are top 3 starting pitchers and then 4-5 guys, or they can give you some relief innings. That’s what Moore is as a QB. Put him out there 16 games he will get exposed as limited. If he was better than that teams would have been knocking our doors down for him the last 4 years or signed him as a UFA.

On the La’El Collins talk…I’d pass on him @ #14 and look at a guy like the Utes T/G Poutasi a lil later in the draft if he’s there in say the 3rd round. He’s played both LT & RT spots well and seems to transition well to G for the NFL.

139. Silly Tim says:

Now that the combine is here, let’s wait to hear some intel on prospects both physically and mentally before making grande draft assumptions. You know it’s going to crush some of your ideas. LOL

Everybody is worried about 40 times, I wanna see what the reported interviews on character reveal for guys like DGB, Marcus Peters, Josh Shaw, etc.

Problem is they dont really release the notes a lot with the interviews, unless they are really scary like that friggin egomaniac AJ McCarron.

Im looking at most the NFL rosters and ones that have a clearly defined starter have next to nothing backing him up or its a rookie contract guy. I dont discredit the need for a good backup but doesnt look like any of these teams really plan around having to use it. Salary cap makes positions like these a true luxury to have a skilled player at.

It’s a good point…but not all of them have a green rook as #2 QB.
      You got young guys that didn’t develop much as #2’s I see, like the Ponder’s, Flynn’s, Hoyer, Locker, Mallett, McCoy, etc.

KC ran with rookies. Pats. GB started the year with a 2nd year guy, believe they started last year with that guy too when he was a rookie. Giants have just Nassib, same as last year.

141. Silly Tim says:

GDP, we’ll see what Matt Moore gets offered on the market. That was another Ireland contract. LOL

getterdone says:
    February 16, 2015 at 5:55 pm
    —————————————————-
    Im really intrigued by they Robert Myers guy out of Tenn State. Smaller competition level but they said something about him that really made me take notice. They say he could probably play OT at the NFL level. He was an OG in school and rarely do they ever say a player could transition in that direction, they usually say OT who probably should move in to OG. He gets a lot of props from scouts too, most of them saying they feel he will be a starter at the next level. Ill have to see what his combine looks like specifically cone drills and shuttle to see if his lateral movement is going to be an issue. Thats my only real concern with him.

That is a rarity…BTW, who is ‘they’? 😉

NFL.com, and other scouts i have used as research tools. I visit a lot that was a consensus statement.

Lol, im getting the Brian Williams treatment.

LOL, naw, you’re no Brian Williams…more a Ron Burgundy….jk/bb
        That looks like a good find, and we saw a taste of how Hickey went small school in the back end of the drafty. There will be some good sleeper type finds out there. One I’ve been tracking is Darren Waller the big WR from Ga Tech.

Still snowing …❄️❄️❄️

144. Silly Tim says:

Update, it’s pretty cold here and 1-3 inches tonight with another couple possible during the day tomorrow. Just in time to go back to work. I had 3 days off to deal with this but noooooo… it has to affect the morning commute. Ugh… I’m really getting sick of this shit.

145. Silly Tim says:

Think about this. 2012 Ireland rolls with Hartline, Bess and a bunch off guys hanging on and UDFAs. Then in 2013 he goes bonkers at WR in FA and addresses the OL the same way as WR in 2012. Then in 2014 what does Hickey have to do? Use his FA priority on LT Albert, a 1st on RT James and a 3rd on OL Turner. There’s you trickle down effect.

That’s where Ireland really fucked up. He did draft Hartline, R. Jones, Clay, Tannehill, Vernon, Miller and Jenkins to name a few who have produced up to par per draft projection. The jury is still out on some others and then there are the ones who are not in the picture anymore.

146. dbolt48 says:

Silly Tim says:
    February 16, 2015 at 5:54 pm
    LMAO!!! He does seem to be losing it.

He’s not Bi-polar, just full of shit.

getterdone says:
    February 16, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly
    Confession: I really don’t understand why anyone in this world would follow me or repeat anything I say. They have to be a bigger dummy then I am.

there i fixed it for you.

D says:
    February 16, 2015 at 5:41 pm

lol D. i dont know who has the mental condition, the dreadlocked midget or the people who read and repeat anything he says.

149. Silly Tim says:

FFR, Omar is one of the prominent Dolphins reporters. We’re making fun of him and you keep telling us why not to pay attention to him. Uhhhh… because it’s fun. LOL

150. dbolt48 says:

Here’s the shit I was talking about Hazle:

@MattHazel_: Oh draft Twitter. Where everybody is a scout and GM and they know where players are going lol

@MattHazel_: If you’re not talk about by Mel Kiper or Todd Mcshay you’re not a good player according to Twitter

@MattHazel_: Where Twitter “draft experts” think they know a prospects strengths and weaknesses

@MattHazel_: Where most of the “Twitter experts” are “friends” of scouts and GMs lol

@MattHazel_: Oh let me not forget that draft Twitter experts were 1st round picks and had every team and coaches at their pro days but I’m 😴

FFR, we still follow and read your dribble…well, because it’s fun, that or some weird form of blog masochism.

tim

repeating him and questioning why he says things is not my idea of making fun of him. if you guys find humor in it well good for you all.

and i am not telling anyone what to do. why would i care what you all do, hell you all conversed with the trolls who ended up showing their asses on the other blog. i dont care if you guys follow the dreaded midget. it is just when i read fiction i usually just re-read all my letters to penthouse forum.

Ha, I was wondering who FFR was years ago when I used to read all those bullshit forum letters. So you’re the guy that was self entertaining. The original selfie so to speak.

153. Silly Tim says:

FFR, if Omar kept talking about how to make a good BLTs and kept putting marshmallow on it, would it not be funny to make fun of that? LOL

Any of you people eat Indian food? I just made Tikka Masala with basmati rice, and it was just delicious. Maybe the best thing I’ve cooked in a while, and I cook a lot. Really pleased with the way it came out. Can’t wait to make it again!

LOL @ Herd

I’m finding a whole new world out there. It’s a lot of fun, and very enjoyable to create good food, and then of course it’s great to eat it too.

156. Silly Tim says:

My wife made pork chops the same way as the chicken last night with mayo as the batter for the crumbs. Once again, amazing! After all what is mayo… eggs, oil and salt, some sugar?

Bake thinly sliced home fry style taters with seasoning to your liking, shallots with a little oil and butter, and you will eat them everyday. They’re great with eggs as a breakfast.

tim

once again if you like it have at it. i just dont see any humor in an idiot saying stupid things

LMAO @ Tim – Just caught the salamander comment

yippie. cooking recipes. i cant wait for you all to start talking about what adult diapers work best.

gdp, i dont everyone on here is an idiot, just you. lol

I guess I missed something. I’ll tell ya, you go shopping, cook dinner, eat dinner, and all hell breaks loose!

FFR – I’m not looking forward to adult diapers. I hope I get old enough to need them, but just don’t need them. Is that even possible?

mike

what is wrong with you? not looking forward????? you do realize you get to sit for a whole football game and drink all you want with never having to get up.

163. Silly Tim says:

Oh… I don’t think I like that. That sounds very scary.

FFR – Nah, I’ll pass. Unless I would be so old that I wouldn’t be able to smell it, or feel it. What a depressing convo. Yuck!

165. Try Pod says:

Not an original thought, but if you spend all your time in an echo chamber and listen to and converse only with people you agree with, you’ll never really grow and learn. Took me awhile to understand that. Nothing cryptic, just an observation.

166. Silly Tim says:

I’m sure glad I listen to a lot lunatics, helps me stay balanced. 🙂

try

stop talking about me

168. Silly Tim says:

If you don’t want to watch the whole thing, go to 1:17.

169. Try Pod says:

So, what’s new? We received around 10″ of snow here, which is not normal. Happens about once every 20 years or so. We can get 20″ or so during an entire winter, usually.
    I’m probably the only one, but I liked the SNL 40 show last night. Never saw Schneider, Miller, Downey, couple of others. Eddie Murphy disappointed me- other than that, I laughed quite a bit.

ok well i am out before timmie starts reading his pickle poetry,.

have a safe one all and try in stay warm.

171. Try Pod says:

And I killed the blog- typical.

172. Silly Tim says:

Try, perfect time to don your billy goat garb. LOL

Try – I really liked the SNL special. Eddie Murphy should have played a much larger role. Still, it was fun and entertaining.

• Try Pod says:

It was great to have a lot of the people who haven’t been around for a while back. Murray was my favorite, as far as who I wanted to see most, but I did love the return of Turd Ferguson. Cheri O’Teri was also absent, not that I think about it..

The Jeopardy! skits were always great. Why all the Kanye stuff though? What a waste of time. I was also disappointed he performed.

• Silly Tim says:

He pranced and giggled about, but at the end of the night, it was the Tikka Masala that made the difference. The SNL special was more like… flan or maybe a tiramisu. But if I tell you one thing my friend… it be the Tikka Masala!!! Yes… that is it, it’s the fuck!!!

Welcome to the room Sar-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

175. Try Pod says:

Alright, tv time with my girl. Goodnight.