The Porcine Oddyssey #90: The 3rd Annual Oinkees

The Porcine Oddyssey #89:  The Third Annual Oinkee Awards

TheOinkeesBanner

Announcer:  Welcome to the Third Annual Oinkee Awards.  The biggest pig event of the year.  The Oinkees honors individual achievement by the Dolphins.

AN AUDIENCE FULL OF PIGS APPLAUDS LOUDLY

Pig in Audience #1:  Oink!

Pig in Audience #2:  Squeal!

Pig in Audience #3:  Snort!

Announcer: Please welcome our first presenters of the night, to give away the Snoutsmasher Award.   A piece of Electronics Equipment stupid people think is psychic and a mean prawn that no one can hear, Welcome Psychic GPS and the Little Prawn!

THE AUDIENCE FULL OF PIGS CHEERS.  PSYCHIC GPS AND THE LITTLE PRAWN WALK TO THE PODIUM

Conference

Psychic GPS:  The Snoutsmasher honors excellence on the field by a Dolphins defender.  And the nominees are (he waits for the Little Prawn to read from the teleprompter)

The Little Prawn:  “……”

THE LITTLE  PRAWN MAKES A BARELY AUDIBLE SQUEAKING NOISE THAT NO ONE CAN HEAR

The Little Prawn: “……”

The Snoutsmasher

Psychic GPS: Um….okay…take my word for it the nominees were Brent Grimes, Rashad Jones, Cameron Wake and Earl Mitchell…..and the winner of the Snoutsmasher is (opening an envelope)  Brent Grimes!!!

THE PIGS IN THE AUDIENCE APPLAUD GRIMES’ WIN

Pig in Audience #4:  Oink and Grimes!

Announcer: And now to present the award for The Tiny Piglet honoring the Dolphin’s Rookie of the Year, he’s a razor who loves to style facial hair and she’s his wife, a deli slicer and a whore, please welcome Mister and Mrs. Mustachio!

THE PIGS IN THE AUDIENCE APPLAUD AS THE MUSTACHIOS WALK TO THE PODIUM

Mustachio:  (visibly nervous) They say you should open with a joke….um…here is mine…One day I would like to have a tiny piglet of my own…but Mrs. Mustachio is such a whore, it might not be mine

THE AUDIENCE OF PIGS IS AWKWARDLY QUIET

Conference

Mustachio: eh…ah…get it….Affanculo its quiet in here….

Mrs. Mustachio:  Oh…Mustachio…why do you insult me…

MRS. MUSTACHIO STORMS OFF THE STAGE

Mustachio:  insult you?  Porca Troia!  I found you in a gang bang with a set of knifes!

THE PIGS IN THE AUDIENCE ARE STILL QUIET

Mustachio: Oh…um…the nominees for The Tiny Piglet are:  Chris McCain, Jarvis Landry, Terrence Fede and Ja’waun James….and the winner of The Tiny Piglet is…Jarvis Landry…congratulations il succo

TheTinyPiglet

MUSTACHIO WIPES THE TEARS AWAY FROM HIS EYES AND WALKS OFF THE STAGE

Announcer:  That was awkward…and now to give the award for The Golden Squiggly Tail, he’s an alien who likes to scout and he’s a hamster who likes to scout…in butts…please welcome Wedge and Colonpokey.

WEDGE AND COLONPOKEY WALK TO THE PODIUM

Conference

Wedge:  Colonpokey, you look lovely tonight.

Colonpokey:  Its for the after party…I’m meeting my my old flame Richard Gere

Wedge: Um…and the nominees for the Golden Squiggly Tail are:  Lamar Miller, Mike Wallace, Jarvis Landry and Charles Clay.

Colonpokey:  And the winner is….Lamar Miller….Congratulations Lamar Miller, you win the coveted Golden Squiggly Tail.

Announcer: And now to give out the Grande Wings, please welcome Piggy Bacon.

THE PIG AUDIENCE CHEERS LOUDLY AND THE FLYING PIG WALKS TO THE PODIUM.  HIS MOOD IS VERY SOMBER.

The Flying Pig:  Oinks to all the Piggies who came here tonight…but some Piggies are not here tonight.  Some Piggies left us in 2014.

Pig in Audience #5:  Squeal

Conference

Pig in Audience #6: Squeal

The Flying Pig: As all pork knows, the NFL season has many tailgating days which in turns leads to many tragic endings for piggies…Please watch this video in memory of Piggies lost in the 2014 NFL season.  Squeal!  (Piggy wipes a tear from his eye)

The Flying Pig: And now…because we have lost so many Piggies in 2014 to football tailgating.  We honor the fallen Piggies by not giving away the Grande Wings this Year

Pig in Audience #1: Oink!!! (raising a trotter in solidarity)

Pig in Audience #2:  Snort and Oink!!! (also raising his trotter)

THE ENTIRE AUDIENCE RAISES THEIR TROTTERS AND SUDDENLY A WOMAN IN A YELLOW JUMPSUIT STANDS UP

Aponte:  Piggies!!! (yelling and raising a katana)  We have unfinished business!!!

KilAponte

The Flying Pig:  Aponte!!!!  (he hides under the podium)

Aponte:  There will be a winner of the Grande Wings tonight!  No Pork Casualty shall stop it.

THE PIGS IN THE AUDIENCE BEGIN TO SURROUND APONTE TO STOP HER.  SHE RAISES HER KATANA AND POSITIONS HERSELF IN A FIGHTING STANCE

AponteKB2

Aponte:  and the nominees for the Grande Wings are:

Pig in Audience #3:  Snort!

Pig in Audience #4:  Oink and Squeal!

Aponte:  Lamar Miller….

Pig in Audience #5:  No more Pork!

Pig in Audience #6:  Oink and Free Piggies

AponteKB3Aponte:  Ryan Tannehill…

Pig in Audience #7:  Squeal!

Pig in Audience #8:  Oink and die!

Aponte:  Jarvis Landry….

Pig in Audience #1:  Squeal!

Pig in Audience #2: Squeal Squeal!!!

Pig in Audience #3:  Oink and Squeal.

Aponte:  And Brent Grimes….

Pig in Audience #4:  Squeal!

APONTE SLAUGHTERS ALL THE PIGS IN THE AUDIENCEAponteKB1

Aponte:  Those of you lucky enough to still have your lives, take them with you

THE INJURED PIGS BEGIN TO CRAWL AWAY

Aponte: But leave the trotters you have lost…they belong to me now!

Conference

THE LAST OF THE PIGS LEAVE THE AUDITOREUM.  APONTE GOES TO THE PODIUM.

Aponte: And the winner of the Grande Wings is Quarterback Ryan Tannehill!

The Flying Pig:  (from under the Podium)  and that concludes the Oinkees.  Congratulations Ryan Tannehill.

Tannehill Oinkee Winner

This entry was posted in The Porcine Oddyssey and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

265 Responses to The Porcine Oddyssey #90: The 3rd Annual Oinkees

1. Try Pod says:

2° outside. Windchill -25. Foot of snow. Fleetwood Mac tonight. This is gonna be a great day.

2. dbolt48 says:

Nice job Pig!

Loved the video Piggy!!!!

It’s still snowing….and I have to dig out and get to work. On the bright side it’s 10 degrees! Forecast is for -10 on Thursday. 😥

4. Try Pod says:

I am truly surprised to hear that Jimmy Thickcut Bacon died of natural causes. He always seemed so healthy, so full of life. The rest of the pigs- eh. I mean, come on- how dumb do you have to be to sun bathe next to eggs, for crying out loud?

Excellent job Pig! The video is awesome!

Here at work, and it’s going to be a quiet day today, at least in the morning due to the weather.

6. dbolt48 says:

More & more Devin Funchess has become the most maddening prospect for me. Elite size, great athleticism, nice route runner, & soft hands. The main drawback is he doesn’t consistently play to his measurements & struggles catching on contact.

• dbolt48 says:

How much of his struggles with contact were dictated by self preservation for his pro career????

I’m ascairt of him, and I want no part of him. There are so many more talented WR’s in this draft, so I don’t want a WR/TE hybrid, not after The Eggnew fiasco. Just get me Parker, White or Perriman.

The roads were surprisingly awful this morning. Nothing was really plowed, and even though I have 4WD, it was slippery as hell going around turns, There was a car behind me that was driving too damn close, and we both slid out while turning, not really out of control, because I was going really slow, but the back slid out a bit as if I was driving drift style. After that turn, he backed off quite a bit. People too often overestimate the capabalities of the trucks or cars they buy because they have AWD or 4WD.

• Silly Tim says:

I had two assholes fly up behind me tailgating and I’m like use the fast lane, I’m not moving, I was doing 55, and the other one was off an exit at a light and I’m like where the fuck are you going? LOL

Slippery is slippery and once you’re out of control I don’t care if you have 8WD.

8. Al in MIA says:

Ah, I remember those days of driving in the snow and slick conditions :P.
    Meanwhile, it’s suppose to be low 80s here today in Miami as the warm air flows up from the south ahead of the cold front coming here tomorrow.
    Mike E, people do underestimate how their car rides in crap conditions but also having good tires goes a long way. I used to keep good treads on my car all the time (usually very good all seasonal tires that can perform with at least 1″ of snow on the ground).
    But anyway, there is no replacement for the human element in any driving condition….the only rule for me in slick/snow conditions is you can’t drive assuming you will use the brake so however you need to drive without the brake, that’s how I drove :P.
    I used to get behind an 18 wheeler (not with one behind me for sure) when I was on the highways in bad conditions because at least I know he won’t be stopping and will be plowing cars in front 🙂

9. Al in MIA says:

Dbolt,
    I’m tired of softies…I want guys who can win the physical battle and play bigger than their height ala the Steve Smith’s of this world (Odell Beckham style, Kevin White etc).

10. Al in MIA says:

Dbolt,
    And about 3 more offensive linemen who can actually become starters :(….
    Am I asking for too much?
    I DONT CARE WHAT HAPPENS IN THIS DRAFT OTHER THAN JUST GET ALI MARPET IN A FUCKING FINS UNI! _)(#*%)!(*#%)!(*%
    🙂

11. Silly Tim says:

Good stuff, Piggy! LOL @ Colonpokey in a gown and Aponte.

Al

What do you think of La’el Collins?

• Al in MIA says:

He’s good but he’s a first rounder so ….unless Miami wants to go that route which I doubt considering Albert is expected to recover and start on one side, James will be at the other side, and the team still views Billy Turner as a possible OT down the road + Thomas serving as a backup OT if a starter goes down.

13. Al in MIA says:

And while I am at it with OL, might as well throw in KSTATE C – BJ Finney into my OL wish list mix.

LOL @ Al with the 18 wheeler. By plowing you mean plowing through or over cars, right? 🙂

Great oinkees Pig! I hope everyone at the Oscars will be wearing pink ribbons honor your brothers and sisters who have fallen at Dolphins tailgates and Aponte’s hands.

Saw a clip of Pouncey being interviewed. He didn’t mince words, saying “we need guard help.” Wonder what Thomas and Turner are thinking when they hear that?

Another interesting part was that he clearly wanted a vet via FA rather than from the draft.

• Silly Tim says:

Well Thomas played mostly tackle and Turner barely played at all. I agree with him on a vet rather than the draft.

And I even forgot something more obvious — when he said guard help he was meaning cause he would be at center. So add Satale to who might not have enjoyed the comment.

17. dbolt48 says:

How you know it’s been cold out. Walked outside at work without a jacket and felt really comfortable. It’s only 7 degrees out😄

18. Silly Tim says:

Stanger, I think the plan is to move Pouncey back to center and Satele is a UFA anyway. All those guys have to do is go look at the tape and see how they too often got run over, including Pouncey at guard. It’s no secret we need to upgrade at guard.

I know it’s no secret Tim — it is one of my priorities. But if I was Pouncey I would have said something like “we have guys on the team for a real good line right now, and who knows we might bring in a guard or two compete and make us even better than that..”

Those guys are more than just his team mates, they are his unit mates.

• Silly Tim says:

You could say he was talking about himself too at guard. The play wasn’t good enough and I’m sure they all know it. It’s likely that both guard positions will be guys who didn’t play there last year with the exception of Turner a little in the last game.

There was a famous scene, I think it was the movie “The Seven Ups” with Roy Scheider with a big chase scene where a guy drives under a truck is decapitated.

Al

My thought with La’el was he can play RT if Albert isn’t ready to start the season with james playing LT, and then when Albert is back, Collins would move inside to G. Albert – Turner – Pouncey – Collins – James. That sounds like a nice O-line, one that could pick up those 3rd and 1 or 2.

• Al in MIA says:

Drafting Collins would just mean the team isn’t confident Albert will ever be 100% again but that’s just my opinion. I think it’s at least a year or two too early to start thinking about who will start once Albert leaves the team. Having said that, I think the team’s current plan is to start the guys they did last year when Albert was out (James at LT; Thomas at RT). I’m fine with those guys to be honest even though I know alot of people are scared of Thomas at RT LOL. I think he does solid in the volume of snaps despite the mental lapses from time to time from him (we are talking about 4 mistakes in about 60-70 snaps). I think the biggest weakness remains at OG. Interior pressure is a constant issue because Tannehill can’t even step up into the pocket on those plays where he gets dropped on 3rd downs.

21. Al in MIA says:

Doesn’t surprise me one bit on the Tanzanian albino stuff…I remember a few years ago hearing about a discussion of AIDS rates in Africa and one of the things that WHO had to deal with is this idea present in some African countries that having sex with other people cures you of AIDS….SMH

Where were the Oinkies held?

I’ve got a truck load of Hickory and I ready to go!

Tim — Pouncey wasn’t talking about himself…..that much was clear from the comment. My guess is one of guard spots will be settled with a clear starter either in FA or the draft and the other will be btwn Turner, Thomas and some lesser new guy who will be in the competetion.

• Al in MIA says:

Can’t really depend on a rookie to ‘solve’ the problem in the short term (long term yes because of the talent level) but many rookies don’t perform well out of the gate (at least not on par of starters at their position around the NFL). Martin did for Dallas but he’s the exception. There is no Martin type available in this year’s draft for that position so whoever is drafted will need some development out of the gate. Tomlinson & Marpet are guys that I think could be studs but they aren’t locks to be great out of the gate.
      I really expect Turner to be a starter this year leaving the team to deal with only 1 other OG position to fill with some type of vet as a stop gap option.

• Silly Tim says:

It would really help if Turner and/or Thomas could be the answers.

It would, but my guess is there will be a known commodity guy as the other option just in case they can’t. But heck, think Garner could be that.

• dbolt48 says:

Garners done I believe. I think he got concussed in that Detroit game and never recovered.

Stanger – Garner can’t stay on the field, so you can’t count him. I think he may also be a FA, not positive. Either way, he can’t stay healthy, so he can’t be in the plans. He’s a depth guy.

His health aside, he is a guy who in the past could fill a spot, if not excel in it….a known commodity if you will. And if it ain’t him there will be other good but on the downswing FAs to consider.

• Silly Tim says:

He’s signed through 2016 but I think we may move on from him.

dbolt48 says:
    February 17, 2015 at 10:22 am
    Tomlinson, Marpet, and the BC center
    —————————————————-
    Lol you dont even bother to name the guy….lol His name is Andy Gallik

Garner is done, can pay almost the entire rookie class with his cap savings.

He might stay on, but doubt it will be at the price he is on the books for. If he’s healthy, his versatility is worth something.

27. Silly Tim says:

Mike E likes hims some La’el.

What’s his name? lol

“We are keeping a close eye on the developments in L.A. We do not have a choice but to also monitor and evaluate our options there.”

That’s the Chargers to the San Diego mayor. Sounds like they are pulling the give us a new stadium or we’ll have Jack in the stands move.

LOL — If I was the Chargers I’d be doing that too. 2nd biggest market is sitting there and waiting just a few hours away. Just like the players say….it’s business. Makes you happy Ross is putting money into our stadium and is so rich that he can afford not to be the next Art Modell.

If you haven’t watched the video yet
    Watch it

(Piggy wipes a tear awa)

For the departed piggies

LMAO @ Piggy. I loved the Aponte/Kill Bill bit. Awesome job.

Mike E and I are of the same mindset. Fix the OL. L’ael Collins is a perfect fit. Put him in at OG and he can back up at OT as well.

Not sure if Gallik is athletic enough to play G in a ZBS.

Going to get some lunch. BBL.

Stanger

Not sure. Collins is a first RD guy, but he could go late 1st RD.

Lots of mocks have him gone earlier than that.

Yep, they do, but you never know what will actually happen. I’d say it depends on whether that team regards as him as a LT/RT or G. If a team likes him at LT, he’ll go earlier. RT or G will be later.

I want a guard…..just don’t want one at #14. That’s T territory. One later plus another guy pick in the 2nd works for me.

I am fine with an OG at 14 if he solidifies the line. I am not one that you can’t draft a certain position until a certain round. Hell if they guy makes an impact I don’t care. I think we need an OG badly and he can have a big impact on the team. With that I am off to lunch.

I hear ya Stanger, but Collins can play T too, and back up either T spot, and can also move inside and be a serious drive blocker in the run game. That’s what I like about Collins. I worry about Albert coming back strong from his injury.

36. Silly Tim says:

My view on the draft is I don’t care what round positions are drafted in as long as they’re impact players that help improve the team. There are certain positions I prefer early but I’m not going to freak out if it’s another position.

With ya on that. The 2nd RD is where there will be so much talent, it’s going to be a tough choice for us, and of course, it will be predicated on what happens with the #14 pick. This year I’d love to have two 2nd RD picks.

I wouldn’t mind Collins but I doubt he goes before 14 in any scenario He would be an instant starter so that would make me pretty happy. NFL.com compares him to Maurkice Pouncey so maybe that’s as close as Pouncey gets to playing with his brother.

Does anyone see Gurley going in the first and where? I love the guy but he’s been injured a significant part of his career so far.

D-Bolt

If the talent in the 3rd RD was better, they’d be 2nd RD picks. 😀

mike

i hear you on the dangerous driving conditions. just yesterday coming to work it was almost impossible to drive safely, it was so dangerous driving without my sunglasses on. some people just dont realize till it is too late the dangers of driving in 70 degree perfect sunshine.

41. dbolt48 says:

TEXAS
    175: R6P15
    DT DARIUS KILGO
    MARYLAND
    207: R7P15
    ILB TERRANCE PLUMMER

I don;t undersatnd he emphasis on taking OL int he first round

What is the problem with the Laken Tomlinson, Aj Cann FSU OGs or Cameron Erving who can play every position ont he OL

There are a half dozne prospects who can fill holes at OG that won;t require a 1st round pick

• Silly Tim says:

Increasing the chances of protecting Tannehill better and improving the running game would be my guess. LOL

We need to fix the OL first and foremost. If there is a superior talent on the OL in the 1st round then we should grab him. I think for Tannehill to take the next step all depends on having a solid OL around him for what would be the first time in his career. Whatever it takes to make that happen should be our priority in the draft and FA.

• dbolt48 says:

Not just Tannehill. If Miller, Landry, & skill position player want to take the next step they need a competent OL.

deja vu

Whjy can;t you use the Day 2 picks for interior OL

Its not like we are talking about taking an OT

• dbolt48 says:

Pig,
        I’d say it really depends on FA. If the team lands Franklin, then maybe they wait later for an OT seeing he could man LT if Alberts not ready. If not then there’s a good chance they take a tackle early to be safe.

Hi everybody!

Piggy:

What I don’t get is what does it matter if we take an OG in round 1 and he is a day 1 starter and productive? Who cares if he was taken in round 1 or 3 if he produces. We have the rb, it would be nice to add depth there. We probably need 1 more WR especially considering Wallace’s status is up in the air but history has shown we can get good WRs in rounds 2 and 3.

“history has shown we can get good WRs in rounds 2 and 3.”

Not when Jeffro was here picking the groceries.

If you end up going OG in the first
      You might be conceding getting a good player somewhere else

Think of all the holes and uncertainty at other positions
      LB – we need at least one if not two
      DT – we need at least 1
      S – we need someone to play along side Jones
      CB – Grimes is there but we would be relying on an unproven like Jamar Taylor to step up
      DE – what happens with Jordan. Is he an OLB? If so, we probably need another DE

WR – we will have to see what happens with Mike wallace but I find it hard to beleive our depth chart at WR is not about to be shaken up
      RB – we can use some one to spell Miller
      TE – hopefully we resign Clay, then we are okay
      QB – the only position I’m okay with but we still need a backup

Yes, Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner are up in the air
      But what about CB opposite Grimes – is Jamar Taylor more reliable than Thomas or Turner. we don;t know what he is yet
      And we don;t even have another safety other than Jones

I don’t think its a great draft for an early pick at DB
      But if you take an OG in the first
      then where do you go int he 2nd – you still have so many holes
      and not a lot of FA money
      and guess why we don;t have any free agent money
      His name is Mike wallace and his contract is the result of ignoring drafting a WR for years

If you take OL early you have to be okay with no shakeup at WR and the possibility of not improving on defense

Any position we pick in round 1 means we are bypassing talent on another position there. To me the most important area of improvement that I think will make the biggest impact for this team to take the next step is the OL. We have a young QB about to enter his prime and we have consistently shown during his career an inability to protect him. That must change. We protect the QB better and put up more points on O and some the other areas you highlighted won’t look quite as bad. A good O can go a long way in helping the D. Just look at Dallas last year. One OL can make a huge difference.

If ya want a OT/OG with versatility, why are you guys not thinking about Erving. You can trade back and get more picks. Erving i think is the most likely to be able to flip between positions as he did it in college. A lot are banking that Collins makes the transition, and ill agree its generally a pretty easy transition OT to OG, but there is no precedence for it.

46. Silly Tim says:

Piggy, any rookie CB would be more unproven than Jamar Taylor. I also don’t consider RB a need. I don’t think we ‘need’ a DE even if Jordan plays OLB, or a WR. I think some of the positions we talk about are luxury picks with the idea that we’d go to another level. But any team can say that with special talent. A 1st rd pick doesn’t have to be used on any of the so-called ‘need’ positions either.

This whole OL debate is pure speculation since we don’t know what Benton thinks of Turner & Thomas’s role as well as others.
    Pouncey saying we need help @ G is mostly him saying he wants back @ C, cause he sucked @ RG.
    Then the rehab status of Albert will be hopefully a lil more clear by when FA starts & draft.

Speaking of FA, I think that is where I’d look to fill a spot @ G and/or backup temporarily T, incase Albert isn’t going to be ready.

We saw that drafting OL early like Thomas & Turner has left us still waiting for their development.
    Got to spend on OL in FA to in hopes to keep your jobs Philbin & Hickey.

Round 2 Pick 3 (OAK): Cameron Erving, OT/OG, Florida State (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 7 (CHI): Cody Prewitt, FS, Ole Miss (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Jalen Collins, CB, LSU (B-)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Ramik Wilson, ILB, Georgia (C+)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina (A-)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Vince Mayle, WR, Washington State (C+)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Matt Jones, RB, Florida (B)
    Round 7 Pick 15: Antwan Goodley, WR, Baylor (C-)
    —————————-
    Trade out draft, pretty much solidifies the secondary, and upgrades the D pretty hard. Before the bitching about 3 WR’s begins, its a 7th round mop up and i had most my holes filled, Goodley is a really good 7th round selection, over Lott who was the DT i would have taken in his place.

D:
    I like Erving and would be fine if he is the target for round 2. I don’t think he is as talented as Collins but Erving would be addition if we go a different direction in round 1.

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    Dolphins have “fixed” OL so many times I’ve lost count. Do remember they had NFL’s most expensive OL in 2009-2010ish.

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    Dolphins “fixed” LB corps by adding Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett. Then fixed again with Wheeler, Ellerbe. Will fix again this offseason.

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    Dolphins “fixed” CB drafting V. Davis, S. Smith. Then fixed with Grimes, two draftees (Taylor & W. Davis), Patterson. Then fixed by adding Finnegan. Must fix again.

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    One question Joe Philbin has not answered and will have to hold until owners’ meetings in March: Why did you keep DC Kevin Coyle?

Sounds like Mando is excited about the offseason…

how do these guys get paid for the shit they say. of course they keep fixing it, cause it still doesnt work.

dolphins havent won a SB since 1973-74. hey i should get paid for these gems.

Hickey can change all of that if he is the best GM since Don was shopping for the groceries in the prime. 😉

57. Silly Tim says:

I’m going to ignore Armando’s vagina monologues.

He’s got a point…lol…just hurts hearing it.

• Silly Tim says:

Tired of his bashing of the past when he’s out of the stuff to write about. Do I really need to know that Jake Long, Justin Smiley and Jake Grove didn’t pan out mainly because they all got hurt? No, I’m well aware of this team’s history. This is the time of year when Armando is stuffed with tampons. LOL

A vet FA not talked about here is safety Rahim Moore. He’s just 25, is 6’1 200 and Denver can’t afford to offer him much when they got Thomas & Thomas and others to try and resign.
    I’d love to make a play for Rahim Moore as our FS…him & Jones would instantly make for the best safety duo in the league.
    This would help cover the blemishes along the front 7 and help the CB’s obviously.

I think this time of year Mando is at his worst

He’s not wrong
    but its just the same old ad nauseum

Ordiarily he is much better
    but this time of year I think he gets desperate to find a story

• Silly Tim says:

He’s also talking about groupings of positions in the era of FA not mentioning circumstances. It’s typical negative stuff when it should be about the possibilities in the draft during combine week.

Chiefs released 2 WR’s, Donnie Avery & AJ Jenkins, plus Bowe is a FA. They will be looking to clearly draft some of this deep WR class.

Tim, Mando did bring up a concern that has been mine as well as we watch the combine. The concern is Hickey drafted 5 players last year from small schools. I hope he doesn’t go that route so heavily again. The development for some of those ‘gems’ seems to be longer and this current regime cannot afford time right now.
    I’d like to see a lil more emphasis on power conference schools….IMO.

I don;t mind small school propsects though

On day 3 it makes a lot of sense
    I think Ivy League propsects liek Varga and Hodges quailify for that category

Last season in days 1 and 2 we took 2 SEC guys and 1 small school guy in Billy Turner
    So it wasn’t like we went small school early

I think the rest of the draft on day 3 was basically small school witht he exception of Lynch who is another SEC guy

I wonde rif Hickey is partial to the SEC and small schools….

Pouncey should know a thing or two about poor guard play. Funny, since improving our guards helps him, at center, more than any other player on the offense. I really hope they don’t break the bank to resign him. I think he’s been part of the problem with the leadership on the team, and he simply isn’t THAT good. He’s good….but not Alex Mack-type of contract good. And, maybe he’ll be in jail with his buddy Hernandez in a couple years anyway.

64. Silly Tim says:

I think it’s pretty unfair to treat Pouncey as a criminal when he’s never been convicted of anything. I don’t think anyone would that done to them. Oh right, he wore a hat that turned people off and allegedly had mollies at his house.

His behavior in the Martin episode as documented in the investigator’s report was pretty bad imo. He may not be a criminal but he is no choir boy.

• Silly Tim says:

Never said choir boy, said criminal. Also, his teammates think a lot more highly of him than the fans so leadership isn’t an issue in the locker room and on the field.

Not just convicted
      not even charged

Randy, I’m so proud of you to hear you say this about our OL, in particular Pouncey. I agree mostly, but think we need to keep Pouncey until it becomes unreasonable.
    What I really agree about is his lack of leadership. He needs to become more of a professional there for this team…if not then Albert and or James should step forward!

My feeling on Pouncey is that I think he is overrated. He is best suited at OC. He looked out of place last year at OG. He is a good but not great OC. I am not opposed to keeping him because I don’t think there is a heck of a lot of other options right now but like Randy said I would not break the bank for him.

The off field stuff really doesn’t bug me much…that last comment was more for laughs. What bothers me is that this team has suffered from a serious lack of leadership….especially on the OL….and I think Pouncey, being a vet on that unit, needs to be accountable for that.

I get the feeling he’s a punk….but I don’t really care. It’s his play that doesn’t impress me.

And I gotta run…my lunch is over…nobody but herd wanted to respond…and all she wanted to talk about was dropping the soap! Lol

The more I think about the Denver FA’s the more I think we should target 1-2 of their FA’s.
    Denver right now is $26M under the Cap, but they have several FA’s considered in the top tier.

Wes Welker, WR
    Demaryius Thomas, WR
    Terrance Knighton, DT
    Jacob Tamme, TE
    Rahim Moore, S
    Orlando Franklin, LG
    Nate Irving, LB
    Quinton Carter, S
    Virgil Green, TE
    Julius Thomas, TE

Hell, I see 4-5 that I’d love on the Phins right now and the Phins could use them in a bad way…lol

Knighton, Moore and Franklin would be huge upgrades. I am not counting on either Thomas hitting FA as long as Manning stays on the team.

I think they re-sign most the ones we would be interested in, unfortunately. But since we are dreaming, Id really like us to get Knighton, Franklin, and Thomas. Knighton is to me the top DT for us. We cant afford Suh and out of everyone else id rather have him. Franklin is good, but there are some other good looking OG prospects in FA this year, that may be a better fit and cheaper. Thomas would be someone id be interested in if we decide to go a different direction from Clay. They are different kind of guys, Clay probably is more versatile, but Thomas may be a better weapon, especially in the RZ.

Silly Tim says:
    February 17, 2015 at 4:19 pm (Edit)

________________________________________
    Not surprised his team mates think “highly” of him. LOL. Apparently his house is the place to go.

70. Al in MIA says:

Oh let’s think about why Welker would want to sign with Miami….
    The offensive philosophy suits his skills.
    The competition at WR is light
    The Patriots
    The weather is great
    South Florida club scene
    Supply of molly

71. Silly Tim says:

I don’t think we’ll be big players in FA. I doubt we sign any big time players.

I tend to agree. We don’t have a ton of cap space. We can make more but that means letting people go. I think our big off season move will be locking Tannehill up and signing some role players.

Define BIG time players…. i think we make a big run at a stud DT, and probably a pretty studly OG too. Other positions i think will either be re-signs or vet depth types, only other spot i could see is, as i stated above, we decided to push for a different type of TE than Clay and get a RZ guy. If so i could see us going after Thomas

Ken says:
    February 17, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Ken, that would be huge, let them spend on resigning Thomas & Thomas…then we could draft the playmaker WR’s in the 1st, then again in the 3rd-5th. In between we draft LB & CB.

73. Try Pod says:

My girl is so excited right now. She is singing Stevie Nicks and smiling.. makes me feel bad for not wanting to go. I’m really happy for her. I think it’ll be alright because she’s so excited, it’s contagious.

74. Al in MIA says:

I’ve been looking at the OL efficiency data over at Football Outsiders and one of the more interesting things to me will be the success/failure of Arthur Lynch as a blocker.
    If he’s able to come into camp and perform then it should help the run game in their worst area.

Fins ranking in NFL of adjusted line yards per carry by direction:
    (adjusted line yards = adjustment based on down, distance, situation, opponent, and the difference in rushing average between shotgun compared to standard formations then a normalization of the numbers so that the league average for Adjusted Line Yards per carry is the same as the league average for RB yards per carry).

over the left end position -> 31 (2.36 adjusted yds; NFL average 3.72)
    over the left tackle position -> 10 (3.98 adjusted yds; NFL average 3.85)
    between the guards (gaps between C-OG not analyzed due to insignificance) -> 2 (4.42 adjusted yds; NFL average 3.93)
    over the right tackle -> 16 (3.92 adjusted yds; NFL average 3.97)
    over the right end position -> 8 (4.79 adjusted yds; NFL average 3.78)

They i dont think are going to make a big play for J. Thomas, i think they will make a competitive offer but it wont be the top one he gets. If Thomas stays in Denver, its because he chose to.

There are some UFA on Denver that are good players

but there are others that are just on a good team

Going after FA on Denver sort of feel like ellerbee signings

That’s a bit of a reach. Ellerbe was just riding a press wave of being Ray Ray’s replacement.

• Silly Tim says:

He actually played really well for them when needed.

Some time good systems and good results make players look better than they are

Then they go to their new team and they are overpaid to be very average or below average

77. Al in MIA says:

More on the Fins 2014 OL efficiency…

They ranked 17th in power success.
    Power Success: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer. This is the only statistic on this page that includes quarterbacks.

They ranked 10th in Runs Stuffed.
    Stuffed: Percentage of runs where the running back is tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage. Since being stuffed is bad, teams are ranked from stuffed least often (#1) to most often (#32).

They ranked 1st in second level yards
    Second Level Yards: Yards which this team’s running backs earn between 5-10 yards past the line of scrimmage, divided by total running back carries.

They ranked 9th in open field yards
    Open Field Yards: Yards which this team’s running backs earn more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, divided by total running back carries.
    ——-
    I guess the power success ranking highlights the OL strength issue in tight formation situations (goal line and 3rd and very short formations).
    The other data set which showed how poor Miami operates a run to the left side of the formation also probably points to a lack of WR/TE blocking skills to that side.

I think a lot of this highlights how good Miller has become. He has a burst and tends to hit the hole quickly. Run blocking has been pretty solid imo. Lets see the OL rankings when it comes to pass blocking.

78. Al in MIA says:

Piggy,
    Agree with you somewhat.
    Denver had a good coach and talent around the QB position.
    They won a playoff game with Tim Tebow at the helm so that points to the team’s abilities outside of the QB lol.

Quick drive by!
    14: R1P14 WR DEVANTE PARKER LOUISVILLE
    47: R2P15 ILB DENZEL PERRYMAN MIAMI (FL)
    78: R3P14 G A.J. CANN SOUTH CAROLINA
    111: R4P15 S KURTIS DRUMMOND MICHIGAN STATE
    142: R5P14 CB CAM THOMAS WESTERN KENTUCKY
    175: R6P15 DT JOEY MBU HOUSTON
    207: R7P15 C ANDY GALIK BOSTON COLLEGE

😉

80. Al in MIA says:

Any word yet on the NFLPA’s projection of the NFL 2015 salary cap?
    They were supposingly announcing it today (first time they’ve done so)

82. Silly Tim says:

Al, the reason the Broncos won a playoff game with Tebow is because the Steelers were playing where they thought the ball would end up instead of where the receiver was, and Tebow caught them off guard by being a tad bit more accurate then he had shown on film. LOL

Also a major factor was Ryan Clark could not play due to his Sickle cell in that altitude. Denver exploited his absence by going deep against a back up S and it was Demaryius Thomas’s coming out game. He had really not been a significant factor up until that game.

Denver will pay for Manning’s aerial weapons. Besides, as we know with Wallace…signing a top WR/TE will cost more than we have in 2015.

So that is why I posted what I did about Denver’s FA’s. Even Ken saw the same thing basically…
    So if we sign a DT say Knighton, Williams, Paea, Guion…then a LG/RG Franklin, Lupati, Boling…then a FS Rahim Moore, McCourty, Rolle, Stevie Brown.

Then we could draft the playmaker WR’s in the 1st, then again in the 3rd-5th. In between we draft LB & CB.

This looks to me like a formula close to this would make the Phins ready to compete for the division ASAP in 2015 & beyond.

Well, that’s my 1.5 cents worth.

Gotta run. Peace.

87. Al in MIA says:

I don’t talk much hockey in here but Mike E, aren’t you a Rangers fan?
    That was some game between the Islanders & Rangers last night LOL
    Those Islanders fans were eating crow after chanting ‘you can’t beat us’ to the Rangers after going up 5-3.

88. Al in MIA says:

GDP,
    I hear ya…i’m going to be upset if a WR such as Cooper, White, or Parker is on the board and Miami goes OL. I can see them doing something like DT but that will be less upsetting because of how needy it is and what a foundation piece it is for an entire D.

Al,
    Agreed, but like I said above…the more I think about it, the way to go in our Cap strung 2015, is draft your playmakers…it’s a deep year for WR & RB’s…but I’m mostly thinking WR, since Wallace will be gone now or in 2016, and Gibson/Hartline will be gone 2015.
    We can also draft a LB in day 1 or 2.

Then we can restructure resign any combination of Starks, Odrick, Clay, while signing solid FA’s that won’t break the bank as I mentioned above @ DT, G, & FS or CB.

The draft is somewhat weak in starting caliber DB’s, OL & DT’s

• Al in MIA says:

GDP,
      I hear ya. I want WR in RD 1. The issues to me are guys who can’t win the physical battles inside the redzone except Landry.

Right, and drafting play makers early gives you potential stars that put up points on the cheap for 4 years vs. trying to sign those guys in FA.
        Wallace broke our bank…lol. Dez Bryant will break someone else’s, etc.

90. Try Pod says:

“Suck it up”
    You’re absolutely right, Tim- so I will. Maybe I’ll post some pics.

Btw, good to see ya back on here Al.

92. Al in MIA says:

GDP,
    NP, i just can’t blog often from where I am at now (moved offices into another location in a firm merger that now has tight internet usage monitering lol).

For you chubby chasers………..
    Round 1 Pick 14: Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Denzel Perryman, ILB/OLB, Miami (Fla.) (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Derron Smith, FS, Fresno State (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina (A-)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Breshad Perriman, WR, UCF (A)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Matt Jones, RB, Florida (B)
    Round 7 Pick 15: Cam Thomas, CB, Western Kentucky (C+)

More and more, im liking the idea of Nick Marshall as a fall back option to play safety. He has good closing speed and probably his biggest drawback is his technique when playing man for receiver who have good double moves, but at safety this wouldn’t be an issue. He has good size for the position 6’1 220, good speed, playing QB he should be able to read an opposing QB well, he lays a lick and tackles well or seemed to when watching him at practices and Senior Bowl game. Definitely wouldn’t be a horrible option.

Great option, if he goes UDFA….I wouldn’t waste a draft pick on him.

Maybe a 7th as a just to make sure we get him. It would depend who was left in the 7th but a 7th round pick wouldnt be a waste on a guy with his athletic talents.

My thoughts as I slid all over the road to work this morning was something pretty fucking spectacular better happen there today to make this worth it. Needless to say it didn’t. 😦

96. Try Pod says:

We’re in- the first level of security. Still waiting to get a cocktail.

dbolt48 says:
    February 17, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Be careful! A cock in your tail sounds uncomfortable

werent you paying attention, he said is was going to suck it up tonight

AFTER SEVERAL DAYS WITH HIGHS IN THE 70’s, we just had a storm front move through Tampa Bay. The low Friday morning MAY be near 32 – – HORRORS!! –Seriously, I hope all Dolfans up north are safe, sound, and healthy. –HIGHLY RECOMMEND a sanity break to Florida, perhaps taking in a spring training game and/or some time at the beach in March.
    ————-
    WAS SCANNING the brochure the Fins sent (late) to all season tix account holders. NO WHERE did I see what kind of wind Ross’s “shade tree roof” could withstand. A guy in construction told me a category 3 hurricane (111-130 MPH winds) would probably do “massive damage” to Ross’s new project. HOPE that’s NOT TRUE because Florida suffers 1 cat 3 (or stronger) hurricane about every 6-8 years, although NONE have hit the Sunshine State since 2005. By the way, MARLINS PARK reportedly can take up to and including a category 4 hurricane (131-155 MPH). –Major insurers, like State Farm, Nationwide and Allstate currently offer no property insurance to most structures in Florida, so I’m gonna guess that any repairs are up to Steve Ross to repair.

————-
    REALLY TERRIFIC EFFORT, Mr. Piggy!!

I really want this guy 🙂

An AFC scout calls Missouri WR Dorial Green-Beckham “special,” and believes he’d be considered the best receiver prospect since Calvin Johnson if not for his off-the-field issues.
    “He’s one of the best receivers I’ve ever seen,” the scout said. “He’s gigantic, he has tremendous body control, balance, he runs like a deer and can leap out of the gym and high-point the ball.” Green-Beckham was a five-star recruit out of high school, but couldn’t stay out of trouble at Mizzou, getting caught with marijuana before being accused of domestic violence. He transferred to Oklahoma, but had to sit out because of the NCAA’s transfer rules. DGB is a top-10 talent who could fall to day two because of his character question marks.

Tomorrow night, at FAU Stadium, undefeated Florida Atlantic, winners of three straight baseball games over the UCONN Huskies, hosts the 4-0 9th-ranked Hurricanes of Miami. –The Canes opened up their season with a 25-4 thrashing of Rutgers on their way to a 4-game sweep. However, FAU’s #1 pitcher will be rested and ready for Miami’s big bats. –After Miami, FAU hosts Ohio State for 3 weekend games before playing the Florida Gators at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, the winter home of the Miami Marlins and the St. Louis Cardinals –I plan to take in at least one of the FAU-Ohio State games. Expecting at least a couple of thousand Buckeye fans at FAU Stadium for this series.

PS: To those of you who DON’T know it, college baseball is REALLY BIG in Florida!!–About half of the MLB franchises will have scouts in the stands for either the FAU-Miami game and the FAU-Ohio State series.

GDP
    I really don’t think DGB will fall a lot…maybe out of the top 10…but that’s about it.

Agreed, especially if his interviews with teams go well.

I think he is the 3rd or 4th WR off the board and probably a top 25 pick

I think the experts view the top 5 like this

White
      Cooper
      Parker
      DGB
      Strong

But the piggies view it like this

White
      Strong
      Parker
      Cooper
      DGB

GDP
    Hopefully, our GM won’t ask him if his mom is a prostitute or dug dealer. Ya got to know the questions NOT to ask. Lol

Lol @ D’s chubby chasers comment

Will be interesting to see what the combine reveals…I’ve always said I liked the utter home run potential of this kid…but I realize the so called ‘safer’ pick ‘could’ be Kevin White.
      Time will tell.

Piggy,
    I think the thing that will push DGB lower is the number of good WRs in this draft and not very many teams who appear to be in need of WRs in the top part of the draft. Good for us. We should be able to get a pretty good WR at #14 if we wanna go that direction. I’ve just barely begun looking at WRs, but there seem to be quite a few good ones.

There are good ones like the 5 I named which should be off the board by mid 2nd

There are also some food mid round prospects

I was watching Mayle and Diggs tape last night

Diggs is amazing with the ball in his hands
      He has just had a lot of injuries

Mayle is a real solid prospect, Prof Lou likes him a lot

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 20 (PHI): Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma (B-)
    Round 2 Pick 11 (CLE): Denzel Perryman, ILB/OLB, Miami (Fla.) (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Chris Hackett, FS, TCU (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 29 (IND): John Miller, OG, Louisville (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Geneo Grissom, OLB, Oklahoma (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 29 (IND): Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland (D+)
    Round 5 Pick 29 (IND): Tyler Varga, FB, Yale (A)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Ellis McCarthy, DT, UCLA (A)
    Round 7 Pick 15: Cam Thomas, CB, Western Kentucky (D)

See chubby chasers
      I drafted an OG and OT in the 3rd

And I took a playmaker early and 2 defensive players in round 2

Yo, Philbin and Hickey…get me some interior OL and a big WR stat!

“North Attleborough police Detective Michael Elliott testified that Hernandez came to the station at around 11 p.m. on June 17. Hernandez had been asked to go there by police who went to his home after finding in Lloyd’s pocket a key to a Chevrolet Suburban that Hernandez had rented.

Elliott testified that Hernandez waited for a while in an interview room, then left the station. Elliott said he then used a surveillance camera in the police station parking lot to videotape Hernandez at around 2 a.m. on June 18. The video shows Hernandez taking apart his cellphone while sitting in his lawyer’s car, then making calls on the lawyer’s phone.”

—————-
    Try getting Pig or Ken to meet you at 2AM in a police parking lot.

lol @ piggy’s draft

piggy what did you do with the fins other 3 first round picks and did you just forget to take there other 5 second round picks or did you trade those away.

Try getting Pig or Ken to meet you at 2AM in a police parking lot.

well i dont know, i have been with a pig or two in a parking lot at 2am

ffr,
    Don’t be modest. I’m sure you’ve been with a few pigs AND a few Kens in parking lots at 2 AM.

Would be nice if both of these guys stepped up & gained the coaches confidence in 2015!

GOT TO CALL IT A NIGHT, Fellow Dolfans. –Another busy day at work is waiting for me. Stay warm and stay safe! –Great Grandpa is OUT!

FFRob

If only the real draft was like first pick

If you think about Ireland had drafts like those drafts in terms of picks

I would kill for an extra 2nd and 3rd now

Will there be liquor at this parking lot?

I just realized the talk about Pouncey wanted to sign a vet OG is Pouncey suggesting Iupati
    Pouncey is a genius!!!
    🙂

Good to see David Hyde bust Omar’s balls on Nomar’s 10 Step plan to fix the Phins in 2015…..LOL

Dave Hyde @davehydesports
    Wait a second, @omarkelly. What is your plan at cornerback? You’re not acquiring any? You’re doing cross-your-finger management?

Going back to mixing in Sammie Coates to my mocks. I kinda soured on him but I believe he would adequately replace Wallace. He’s just slightly talked but has about same speed. Hearing the expect him to stay with dorsett as far as 40 time. May be a fallback option if we miss some of the guys like Parker White etc.

By soured on him I mean he was one of my top options for us and when I decided I thought was best for us to go round 1 we I kinda back burnered him