WHAT WOULD MAKE HULK ANGRY THE FREE AGENCY PRIMER

incredible-hulk By Dr. Bruce Banner End of football season and not yet start of league year mean Hulk have some time to calm down and relax. Hulk no think about football too much and Hulk no get angry too much. Funny how that works out. But now this coming Tuesday the league starts and that means the start of free agency. This get Hulk starting to think about football. Hulk start to think what free agents might Dolphins sign and what free agents might Dolphins lose? As Hulk begins to think about the various scenarios Hulk start to get sweaty, his chest starts pounding, his head start hurting and Hulk start getting angry thinking about mistakes that team might make. Hulk think of many things that would make him angry. This is what would make Hulk angry in free agency: Signing Ndamukong Suh for crazy big money. It’s not that Hulk doesn’t like Suh, in fact Hulk have great respect for Suh and his style of play. However, Hulk sees to much money to be spent on one player on defense. Hulk see many other needs that may not get addressed if we sign Suh such as contract extension for Ryan Tannehill. Then there is fixing the offensive line and wide receiver. For the same money that we spend to sign Suh we could sign Mike Iupati and Randall Cobb. Hulk think that would make much bigger impact on team than 1 defensive tackle. We would solidify the interior of the offensive line which would mean Tannehill would have more time to throw and Miller would have more open lanes to run. At same time we could add Randall Cobb who is ideally for Dolphins offense. He has speed to get deep but thrives in the short to intermediate passing game. Nearly one half of his 1,200 yards were after the catch. Tannehill thrives in the short to intermediate game as well. If we sign Cobb, then we have 2 wide receivers who play very well in space and can line up in multiple positions including the boundary, the slot or the backfield and at R1P14 one of these 3 wide receivers are likely to be available: Amari Cooper, Kevin White or Devante Parker. All of whom would be excellent boundary receivers. We would fix OL and give Tannehill multiple weapons to work with but if we sign Suh then this is not possible as we will have no money to bring in veteran OG. We will be forced to draft and rely on rookie OL instead. There are other good options for interior OL in free agency other than Iupati. Vladimir Ducasse of the Vikings, Orlando Franklin of Broncos and Jah Reid of Ravens give other options at OG for Dolphins to get immediate help on interior OL. Another option is to sign Steve Wisnewski from Raiders at OC and keep Mike Pouncey at OG. Another thing that would make Hulk angry is if we sign Jared Odrick to big contract extension. Odrick play a lot but not make many tackles or sacks. Also Dolphin run defense really struggled with Odrick playing DT. There is talk of Odrick getting an $8 million dollar per year contract. Hulk no see that and Hulk be very angry if Phins pay Odrick that much. There are other good DT options available that would be cheaper. Dan Williams for instance is very good run stuffing DT and he be cheaper than Odrick. Terrence Knighton may not be cheaper but he is better than Odrick. Vince Woolfork is now on the open market, maybe he like to come back to Miami for a short term contract and take up space in middle of field. Nick Fairley, Suh’s team mate is also free agent and is better than Odrick. There are too many good options at DT to invest that much money in Odrick. Hulk also hear people talk about signing a veteran running back like Frank Gore. This also would make Hulk angry. Again Hulk like Frank Gore but Hulk no not to sign a running back on the wrong side of 30. Hulk thinks Phins have their running back with Lamar Miller. What Phins need is a quality back up running back/short yardage specialist. There are good options in draft including a Hulk favorite in Tyler Varga. Hulk would see no reason to spend cap dollars on a veteran running back when it is a good year for running backs in the draft. Hulk would also be very angry if we no address the secondary in free agency. Right now Phins have 2 quality defensive backs on roster in Grimes and Reshad Jones and there is talk of cutting Jones to make cap space for Suh. Hulk getting angry just thinking about that. Jamar Taylor flashed talent in limit playing time last year. He may or may not be ready to be a full time CB. Louis Delmas was the starting S but he get injured and is now a free agent. We need at least 1 safety and one corner back. The market not great but there are some decent options that should not cost much. One option at CB is Darius Butler. He has proven to be a viable nickel back the last several years in Indianapolis and would not break the cap budget. Byron Maxwell be available at CB but he more expensive and Hulk no think he would be as good away from rest of pro bowl secondary in Seattle. At safety Hulk like Tyvon Branch from Oakland Raiders. I know Hulk like his Uconn guys but Branch has been a quality player who goes under the radar on bad team. Branch has speed to play center field and again not likely to break cap budget. Also Hulk like Antrell Rolle who is also a free agent. He is a proven ball hawk with 9 interceptions over last 2 years. Plus he is known to be a hard worker and good club house influence. Tom Coughlin called him the hardest working player he has ever seen. However he is likely to cost more. Finally, Hulk would be very angry if TE Charles Clay is lost to free agency, especially to Buffalo Bills as it was reported that coach Rex wanted to sign Clay. The imposition of the transition tag now makes it less likely we lose Clay as with transition tag Phins get right to match any offer. However, reports are that Bills still willing to make big offer to Clay. If we lose Clay there are not many good options in either the draft or free agency. The TE class in the draft is one of the worst in recent years. Most of the 40 times of the TEs in this draft make Arthur Lynch look fast. The free agency class is headed by Julius Thomas but he would be expensive and he will also be playing without Peyton Manning, DeMaryius Thomas and Wes Welker. Hulk not sure he worth signing for the kind of money he will demand. Jermaine Gresham is a quality TE but probably not better, or as versatile as Charles Clay. Jordan Cameron on Cleveland is available but again Hulk thinks Charles Clay fits Fins offense better. So Hulk thinks it is important to re-sign Charles Clay or else Hulk be very angry and no one wants that. content

This entry was posted in What Make Hulk Angry. Bookmark the permalink.

1,022 Responses to WHAT WOULD MAKE HULK ANGRY THE FREE AGENCY PRIMER

Pats also looking at Percy Harvin

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
    Regarding Shelley Smith, I’m told the Dolphins are open to having him back at the right price. And the team is very high on Billy Turner.
    ___________________
    Here Shelley, have a cookie.

Diner time. BBL. Peace.

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
    Dolphins really, really like Clay and are hoping to keep him. But they have limitations, because of Suh deal+pre-existing cap situation.

Suh deal doesn’t affect anything but the ability to tie themselves to a long-term contract going forward. Suh’s cap number in 2015 should be about what they save by cutting Starks.

5. jahndoh says:

Ken, thanks for the article…and I got a kick out of the comic at the end too.

WAITING FOR THE SUH DEAL TO BE FINALIZED and wondering how the Clay situation will play out. I WON’T be saying anything about all this until F/A is over. Just hope we DON’T have to plug a hole in at TE in the draft, given all the other holes that need filling. –My fellow Lutz resident FFR is an expert at plugging holes. Maybe he’s got the answers for this.
    ——-
    Tomorrow, I believe, is the next installment of ABSOLUTE PERFECTION featuring the ’72 Dolphins vs. the Buffalo Bills and OJ Simpson. This one point game damn near gave me a HEART ATTACK!! In the interest of accuracy, this little story had a series error in fact. I excoriated the Bills for not going for a 2 point conversion when, in fact, the AFL’s 2-point conversion was DROPPED when the two leagues merged in 1970. I must have been thinking of the EARLIER DAYS when, from 1960 through 1969, AFL games routinely included one or more two-point attempts. The 2-pointer wasn’t brought back until, I believe, the early 1990’s. –So please forgive the Old Dolfan for this error and try to enjoy the article.
    ——-
    Florida Atlantic’s baseball team won their 9th consecutive game this afternoon, beating a good Illinois State team 6-4. –Tomorrow the 15-2 Owls take on 9-4 N.C. State, one of the better teams remaining on FAU’s 53 game regular season schedule. MRS. OD sends all of you her world class smile. And I send a special smile to YOUNG STANGER now that his favorite punter apparently will still be employed by the Dolphins!!

7. Al in MIA says:

Won’t matter how many WR the Patriots send out against Miami if Suh and Wake are flattening Brady πŸ™‚

8. Al in MIA says:

This is how Suh showed up to sign his contract

9. Al in MIA says:

If the guarantees are truly 60 mill (meaning he’s paid 2017 money by the first few days of the 2016 league year) then I have to assume Earl Mitchell & Cam Wake will have their contracts phased out in 2016/17. The Fins must be banking on their current youngsters to develop and take over spots -> Johnson, Fede, Jordan, etc.

10. Al in MIA says:

Alright, im out for the night.
    Jahn, I’m on board with Kendricks. I like how UCLA played defense (aggressively). Kendricks has really good hand to eye coordination and also good hands period for a defender. You can see it in his tackling and interceptions/ fumble pickups.

Stanger, Starks still being here is a lil gamesmanship at the Bills, keeping them guessing on what kinda cap space we’ll have. We already know what we are paying Suh. But no one else is real sure.

Suh’s on First

What’s happening in Cali Gigi?

Okay, I was locked out for a few. Have no idea why.

I’m thinking paragraphs make Hulk angry today. πŸ˜‰

Rainy in Joisey, but a pleasant 45-50 degrees. Melting away what’s left of the snow.

Looks like the FO is going for higher quality starters, than depth. I like it, when the game is on the line the stars are playing.

I heard on local radio here that the Bills are going to make a huge push for signing Clay. I have a feeling he may be going there. Hopefully he can recognize what a shit hole the city is.

Tim, Bri

You guys couldn’t get on the blog? I wonder what happened?

Though I’m a big Clay fan I understand there is a market and the Dolphins set it for themselves where they want it to be for him. It might suck but I get it.

• Brian in NY says:

Brian in NY says:
    March 10, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I was too. The website wouldn’t load for me for over an hour.

that was probably just mike e hacking into your computer.

I like Shelby, but I’m intrigued by the possibility of someone signing him and giving us their 2nd rounder for him.

I would take the #2. I think Fede and other DTs could be factors this year. Nothing against Shelby though, he’s a solid player.

The forecast looks awesome the next week or so, 40s, 50s and maybe even 60s mixed in. The snow is melting at a nice rate. A 3rd of it is gone, I can see patches of the ground again. The snow pilings are melting………. die snow piles, die!!! LOL

March 10, 2015 at 7:54 pm
    Okay, I was locked out for a few. Have no idea why.

Cause you were collaborating across enemy lines πŸ˜‰

I asked about the interest in having a March Madness pool here earlier today but I see that was 2 pages ago. So I’m asking again for the evening shift. Anyone up for it?

herdfan says:
    March 10, 2015 at 8:08 pm

only if all the winnings go to support FinsMob-Exoduss

I don’t watch BB love, so I’ll pass.

• herdfan says:

I don’t either. It just makes it interesting and gives me teams to pull for since it’s going to dominate sports news for a few weeks.

Yeah, but I just treat the next few weeks as noise that should be tuned out. I REALLY can’t stand basket ball, have never really been into college sports (other than college women’s gymnastics on ESPN24 and beach vollyball, LOL only partially kidding, it’s lonely in the Rockphin residence) so I don’t get the “madness”
        Won’t bother me if others discuss it though.

• Brian in NY says:

Those are usually the people who win

Just a min ago
    When I first tried to come on
    It said Safari Coulnt load
    But I hit refresh and everything was norm

But I thought it was reception in the subway

29. CaliGigi says:

Herd: Hope you’re defrosting!

• herdfan says:

Yes, the snow has melted and it’s been raining all day. The bad thing is you can’t tell the difference between a puddle on the road and a pothole that will swallow your car. 😦

I’m like Jon Snow when it comes to college hoops. I KNOW NUTHIN’!

‘a puddle on the road and a pothole that will swallow your car. :(‘

so basically you are saying the difference between like and love in WV is a pothole.

😦

• jahndoh says:

We’ll see. I don’t believe everything I read from the media on this stuff. I will say this, the whole idea of signing a transition tagged player to an offer sheet is to make an offer that’s difficult for the original team to match. So that part shouldn’t scare anyone in the least. The owner sending a private plane. Meh…also doesn’t concern me much. The report that Clay himself is confident and therefore actually looking for real estate, if true, would concern me, but that remains to be seen. The dolphins have rights here too. So we’ll see.

There will be plenty of road work this summer. The winter destroys our roads.

LOL Bri – My son has no idea what studying is, and a group of studiers would be even more baffling to him.

Why didn’t we sign Clay to a tender like we did Shelby? Was that even an option?

35. Al in MIA says:

My reaction to all the moves the Bills, Patriots, and Jets are making after we signed Suh.

Herd, I’ll pass on March Madness too. I’ve never done it because I have no idea about it and don’t have any interest in it other than listening about it at times on sports radio.

37. jahndoh says:

“Brian in NY says:
    March 10, 2015 at 8:05 pm
    Me too Tim. The fact of the matter is he has been a good player for us, and very good at times, but his numbers don’t warrant breaking the bank on him. I wonder why we didn’t place a tender on him?”

You can’t place a tender (assuming you mean, ascribe a draft value to the player should he be poached) on an unrestricted free agent. That’s something you do for restricted free agents.

It doesn’t always seem this way, but when a player has played out his contract he has a right to seek another deal on his own terms. The franchise and transition tags are the only exceptions, and the transition tag still allows the player the freedom to seek his own new deal, it just gives the original team some recourse to get him back if they really like him.

^
      If we wanted to keep Clay at all costs off the market than we would have tried to re-sign him prior to FA. We basically wanted the rest of the league to decide what his market value is and go from there. We can match any deal if we so desire.

• Brian in NY says:

Thanks Jahn, I was hoping you’d read that! It seems to me that we would have placed a RFA tag of some sort on him after his 2013 year.

We would have had to re-sign him then or we’d be right back where we are now. If we want him more than BUF at a specific price we’ll do it, if not, we move on. This is the shitty part of the business.

• jahndoh says:

Still doesn’t work that way. He played out his rookie contract. If his rookie contract were only 3 years he’d have become an RFA. But since it was for 4 years he becomes a UFA.

• jahndoh says:

I think when they tagged Clay they already had decided to pursue Suh. At the time there wasn’t any assurance we’d land Suh, and if not, Clay would naturally be our next highest FA priority. The designation gave the fins at least a fighting chance. Suh being signed may indeed make it difficult for Fins to match the contract Buffalo offers him, but it may all play out according to design.

Not sure I love that gambit by the FO, but I will remain hopeful it all works out for the best.

• Brian in NY says:

That sounds plausible. I’m getting a bit leery of Tannehill losing too many of his targets from last year.

who’s gonna pass to clay in buffalo

Bri

We could’ve given Clay the franchise tag, which would have been about $8.3M

• jahndoh says:

See my response above. I think that would’ve probably handcuffed us in the Suh race, and they opted for the TT as the next best option. Speculation on my part, but it makes sense.

• dbolt48 says:

Most people would’ve bitched if we had did that right off the bat. Most thought he was worth 6 million per year. Market drastically jumped.

I guess too high for us because that sets up a 4 year $32M deal. His knee issues might be a reason. I remember the hit that started it all a few years ago. He got hit in the flat right on the knee and from that point on it’s been an issue. It was a hit that shouldn’t happen but the NFL has made upper body hits off limits so that’s the alternative.

• Brian in NY says:

I get that part, but I thought we would have signed him to some sort of RFA tag to protect ourselves. Oh well, looks like he’s going to Buffalo.

40. Al in MIA says:

I feel that if management really felt desperate for Clay they would have signed him however it appears they feel comfortable with what the draft may offer behind Sims, Lynch, and perhaps some other veteran TE who may be cut after the draft. BTW, is Gator available? Would like to see him come back. I also would like to see Tyms compete for a roster spot again.

We look at Suh as the center piece of the defense and next year it’s likely to be Tannehill on offense. The team is re-tooling or revamping from the bang we were getting for the buck. A lot of it is moving away from Ireland’s plan.

• Brian in NY says:

We’d better draft well in the next 2-3 years because there isn’t going to be a lot of money left after we do Tannehill’s contract.

• jahndoh says:

I would have a real problem with that if I knew it to be the actual plan. Why would you put off building around Tannehill until next year? What exactly are you waiting for? You prepare for that by giving a guy 60M guaranteed on defense the year prior?

I don’t think so. I think they think they are primed to make a run right now, and Suh is not some sort of another multi year plan to become a contender again.

42. jahndoh says:

Brian, whether a player becomes an RFA or an UFA is a function of their years of service. You can’t “tag” a player as an RFA, you can only “tender” an existing RFA. A player with 3 years of service AND an expired contract is an RFA. A player with 4 or more years of service AND an expired contract is an UFA.

If we lose Clay and I think we will it is part of the price of signing Suh. I am not saying that to be argumentative but the fact of the matter is if you lock up a non QB for 19 mil a year it is hard to pay your TE 8 mil a year. But it is the way the FO prioritized the need. The FO prioritized the need for fixing the D and the impact one player would have there is greater than a collection of other players on both sides of the ball. There is part of me that wants to say I told you so that there will be painful but at the same time I am sitting here saying it’s okay because this was the plan. The FO knew it was going to have to lose people to make this happen so lets ride it out and see if the FO was right. We still may be able to sign Clay but then that means that others will have to get cut.

• jahndoh says:

I generally agree with this.

• Brian in NY says:

That’s what Jahn was saying, and I tend to agree with that. You can’t have everyone.

If you told me that the dolphins traded Clay, Odrick and Brandon Gibson straight up for Suh, I would explode in joy, how pulley we draft well

If you told me that we didn’t pursue any free agents but we resigned Odrick and Clay, I would say – so we kept an 8-8 team together, how pulley we draft well

I wonder if our staff is going with the Chip Kelly theory of “We can find the players and plug them into our offense” with all of the recievers being jettisoned.

45. jahndoh says:

————-
    Me too Brian, but like Ken says, that appears to be the plan, so we’ll have to ride it out to see if they were right.

46. jahndoh says:

Signing off for now. Got to get my girl from swim practice. Cheers!

I’m out as well. I have progress reports to finish.

Tannehill will still have targets. I am pretty confident at this point that Wallace is coming back. Landry is back so our no. 1 and 2 WRs will be there. I also believe we are going WR early. I expect on of these 4 will be a Fin: Kevin White, Amari Cooper, Devante Parker or Jalen Strong. So there will be targets for Tannehill. I also think Dion Sims is able to a full time starting TE. He is not quite the receiver Clay was but he flashed some talent last year and he is a better blocker than Clay.

If we lose Clay we have to keep Wallace

And that means Tanny has two familiar targets in Landry and Wallace
    That’s not bad

If you draft a WR in the first, that is actually a lot of weapons

Jests resigned Reavis
    I’m happy about that
    I want him out of New England
    I bet he has a shitty year for the jests too

how come when a pig says ‘how pulley’ i am pretty sure he meant it very very hopefully

Lynch is going to be a gamer next year

Right Mike E?

Lynch will move into the Sims role. I actually think Lynch can be pretty good. I watched a fair amount of UGA ball over the last several years and Lynch can play.

I think he will be fine as a backup TE

I do want a TE to be part of the receiving game though
        I don’t really think Simms is very dynamic that way

I don’t see Maxx Williams as a legit option bc he will go late first

But Walford and oleary are good options

I think we need to see how the draft unfolds though

How pulley you guys know what I mean

Has the Suh signing been announced yet? It appears to be a done deal but I have not seen it announced officially.

I think Michael Thomas gets a shot at starting safety next year.

I don’t think any of this is catastrophic. Suh is who we wanted as the center piece of the defense. We were not a winning team with all of our players so how is any of this crazy?

Drafting is always key. Just a reminder of what the draft can be after the fact. Kelvin Sheppard who not many fans here think much of, was re-signed to compete at LB and he was a former 3rd rd pick in 2011 with the Bills. Lots of teams have players like this on their rosters. It’s not an exact science and never will be.

Piggy:
    This year’s TE draft class is really weak imo. I don’t see anyone coming in that will be better than Sims out of the gate. Funchess has the possibility down the road to be a playmaker but he has to switch from being a WR so I would not expect much out of him for a couple of seasons. Other than that I think Sims is the no. 1 TE unless we make another cut or two and re-sign Clay.

Mike E’s war on Arthur Lynch was because he so wanted a dynamic TE, not a traditional type. I could understand his ire if we took him 2nd or 3rd round, but he was a 5th. He’s very much like Sims.

I think Mike E will be pleasantly surprised with Lynch. He will not be Jimmy Graham but he could be Anthony Fasano.

I’ve said that all along. I had him in my mocks last year albeit as a 4th rd pick. He’s a big dude 6-4 255, strong and can be a receiver like a Fasano – he can catch and make plays after the catch. He’s not going to light up the stat sheet, but he’s a solid functional TE, if he’s okay after whatever back surgery he had.

If we remember, we had very little talent and depth at TE just a few years ago.

There are patriots fans on twitter calling Reavis a “trader”

Lmao

LOL. it’s kind of a win win for us. The Pats lose Revis, the Jets sign him for a big contract and he is on the wrong side of 30 and the Jets are not going anywhere just yet imo.

LOL. I feel bad for Bradford. I liked him at OU and if he could stay healthy I think he can be a good QB but he just can’t stay healthy. At the same time Foles has had his injury issues too, not as bad as Bradford but not insignificant either.

Tim, exactly. you have to assemble a team of players in there “sweet spots” lower salary, ascending, players who are healthy and experienced / smart enough to play at a high level. Before they are recognized and eventually out price themselves. Finding, or better yet DEVELOPING those guys, (like a 5th round safety and a 4th round full back / TE I know of among others) consistently is how you put together a perennial winner.

Wyoming:
    I am a big fan of Varga. He is more than just an FB. He can block but he can be an every down all purpose back and he played in the spread option at Yale. He would be a good fit.

He could be a sleeper but I’d be skeptical about his ultimate upside. He’ll have to overcome the over-achiever tag and prove it. He’s a 2nd or 3rd back at best to me. He’ll never beat out Miller. The talent just isn’t there. He has players like Suh chasing him now, not a 275 lb. DT who will be a lawyer soon. LOL

He wouldn’t beat out Miller but I have watched him a lot and I am confident he can play at pretty high level in the NFL. Just look at how he did when he went up against equal talent at the Senior Bowl. Now they just have to keep him from going to the CFL where is a top 4 prospect and is being highly sought after because he is Canadian so he won’t take up a foreign roster spot.

• jahndoh says:

I have never considered “overachiever” to mean anything negative whatsoever. I’d much rather have an over achiever than the alternative.

I’m all about these guys who have to work for their success. Sometimes you get player who have had success so effortlessly that the first thing goes wrong and they end up pulling themselves from the football game to pout. πŸ™‚

I do like his skill set!
      But I just like to piss Tim off with his NAME!
      πŸ˜‰
      Actually I like his film as a RB.
      And his EFFORT with the ball in his hands

I watched him a lot up here in Connecticut and I am a believer in him. Plus I knew a few people at Yale Football and they rave about the kid. Only negative I can say about him other than the fact that he comes from an Ivy league school is that they gave him a lot of touches with the ball over the last few years. He has some mileage on him.

Nick ‏@nickbaraie Β· 60m60 minutes ago
    Bills sign Harvin: He’s a cancer…

Pats sign Harvin: They are so smart, the patriot way…..

I was just thinking about Locker retiring

Did you know he was drafted the year the rookie salary cap went into effect (2011)

When he elected to stay in school in 2010
    It surprised a lot of people
    He was viewed by some scouts as the top qb prospect

That year Sam Bradford went 1st and signed the contract that shook the NFL
    Maybe locker doesn’t go first but he goes top 5 in 2010

He ends up having a down year in 2010 at Washington
    And Newton wins the heisman

He lost a ton of money by staying in school
    But it doesn’t mean much if you have a great career
    You make that money back

But then he retires after 4 years

So you think he makes that decision to stay in school knowing what he he knows now

Do you guys know how much money Jake Locker threw away?

He threw away whatever the difference was between his contract and Sam Bradford’s plus 1 year of earnings. So probably around 40 million.

• jahndoh says:

I remember discussing this with you Piggy, and I felt the same way. I remember Luck doing it the following year and saying I thought that was foolish of him as well. Now he may overcome that decision when it’s all said and done, and in reality he only lost a year of earnings, but I think he would have been ready coming out as a Jr. and was rolling the dice by staying at Stanford.

When Luck made his decision the new CBA was already in place so the financial risk to Luck was not as great as the risk Locker took. Of course they both had the risk of injury but the difference for Locker is that there was a complete restructure of the rookie salary system done in that 1 year that Locker stayed in school.

WELL things are going OK so far with Mrs. OD’s new med. –She’s fast asleep now and has NOT made any threats against my life, so it seems to be side effect free so far. KEN, to repeat, I REALLY LIKED THIS EFFORT OF YOURS!! —Maybe Hulk will revel in all his glory when the Fins win the upcoming Super Bowl!! –OUT for tonight!

67. jahndoh says:

I think I misread you earlier. I thought you were saying the plan was to build around Suh this year, and to build around Tannehill next year. Which is subtle, but different than what I now think you were saying which is, This year we sign the key player on the defensive side of the ball and next year we’ll sign the key player on the offensive side of the ball.

Am I close? LOL…

Yes, both will be here this year and next year and in the future as cornerstones. We’re cutting the fat on average talent though Tanny is considered average by many. LOL

I don’t share that view, I think the arrow is pointing up for him and he hasn’t reached his ceiling yet. He has more skill than most QBs. We’re re-tooling or revamping the roster moving forward. I think the signing of Suh is a sign we want to win now and for years to come. That means making the playoffs or going further.

The team is not satisfied with the status quo. You don’t sign Suh to just say… yeah we’re getting there in 2 or 3 years.

It’s not like the players we’re letting walk have lead us to 11-5 or 12-4 and nice playoff runs. They’re changing that approach.

Brandon Fields ‏@b_fields2 Β· 15m15 minutes ago
    I’ve played 129 games in a row as a Miami Dolphin. Happy to be able to keep the streak going!

Your score is: 5637 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 18 (K.C.): Cameron Erving, OT/OG, Florida State (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Shaq Thompson, OLB/ILB, Washington (A)
    Round 2 Pick 17 (K.C.): Breshad Perriman, WR, UCF (A)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Damarious Randall, FS, Arizona State (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 15: B.J. Finney, C, Kansas State (A)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Ramik Wilson, ILB, Georgia (B+)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland (C-)
    Round 7 Pick 15: James Sample, SS, Louisville (A)

So the Pats sign Gibson to a pedestrian contract 825K and then Harvin to whatever. So we have a guy who will nap during meetings in Gibson and then cheat off of Edleman, and a guy in Harvin who will miss 6-7 games with migraines or other ailments, get his foot stick in gum in the parking lot and miss a meeting. LOL

LOL @ Jahn’s 9:41 reply to Tim.

Alright. I need to turn in. Busy day tomorrow. Peace to you all.

73. jahndoh says:

Cheers Ken.

I don’t think this signing means anything other than the top FA just so happened to match a fairly significant need on our team…and this front office and coaching staff DESPERATELY need to win this season…probably to keep their jobs. They were never going to just sit back in FA. They don’t have the luxury of time.

If they truly and confidently believe that this team is ready to make a run at the superbowl next year…well….that’s cute and all but come on. Could they get into the playoffs and make a run? Sure, just like every team has a shot. Are they the sort of team that may end up 8-8 and miss the playoffs…or just barely get in and fizzle? Yep! And you’re telling me somebody in charge believes we’re close enough that a DT gets us over the hump? I hope they have more of a plan than that…because that seems kinda slim. Maybe we are that close, I don’t know.

I love Suh, so this is exciting. It’ll be fun watching him every week, but he doesn’t block or catch TDs. I get going after top end talent, and I know it costs money. It does diminish your team in other areas. I think Suh is an investment in the future just as much as he is an immediate surge upward in talent on our defense…and should be for years if he can play clean…but others will be jettisoned. And, you never know If the net result is negative or positive until you play the season.

The AFC East has kicked some ass in FA so far this year.

Ya see, this is what happens, you make a comment and “He’ll have to overcome the over-achiever tag and prove it” gets ignored like it was never said.

Guys, I believe in sleepers, I just don’t get gaga or rely on them. LOL

I like Damien Williams more than Varga because as a receiver I already know he can do it in the NFL. Now I want to see if he can improve his rushing and blocking ability.

I understand the Pats will land Varga and he’ll set the world on fire. LOL

LMAO@Polarizing!

Wyoming,
    Do you believe we’re a superbowl contender? Or a DT…even a really good one….away from it? I’m curious what everyone thinks.

And, I’m actually excited and happy about signing Suh. The rest of it is just the old man kicking the kids off his lawn material. Lol

I think we are rebuilding again with a new GM!

It is just not getting completely blown up

We will turn over at least 8 starters this year and hopefully get better!

But I just like being a Dick every now and then!

πŸ˜‰

Mission accomplished Cowboy πŸ™‚

No way do you sign Suh to rebuild, we’re cutting the dead weight. Ireland kept too many guys he drafted way past their welcome.

Gosh, I didn’t think I was being a dark cloud. Is having what I believe to be a realistic take on the team a downer? Or, am I just nuts and don’t see what everyone else sees? Lol

I think everyone in charge wants to win now. But, I don’t think they have to win the Super Bowl to do it. I think playing solidly all season, getting into the playoffs and looking competitive would be enough. We need to take that next step. Maybe they believe Suh makes that possible.

They have to believe Suh makes that possible or why sign him to the biggest defensive FA deal ever.
      I’ve maintained since Philbin was given his final year by Ross, that it’s Win Now baby or see ya.
      The push is on!

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    So CB Brice McCain is visiting the Dolphins tonight and TE Jordan Cameron is likely coming in soon, too: (if he can find his way to Miami)

Ok I made the part up in parenthesis….lol

Just got home from work 😦

Did we actually sign Donkey Kong yet?

Did you get my reply Randy?

I just read we’re interested in Jordan Cameron. I think that’s a bad move. He’s seriously one concussion away from retiring. All those who said beware of Swopes were right. Well now, I say beware of Jordan Cameron. Talented, but very fragile.

If we weren’t that good to begin with, why will it be so hard to replace the talent lost? This gets said here everyday and then when we add elite talent over mediocre talent and quitters, we still get chastised. LOL

So how do you change it? I say add better players in FA and the draft. It’s not that complicated. I think we did well in the draft last year present and moving forward. Do it again!

Some fans here feel the problem is coaching but the org decided it’s talent and we’re seeing that. We’re gonna find out but is anyone that surprised by the cuts and signings?

I think we have some pieces in place, we needed more impact players and Suh is a big addition to get it started. The guy can wreck a game if you can’t block him. Think of how the Bills handled us. Now we get to do it.

We need playmakers! Find a CB or S that can get the ball back, find a couple of WR’s that make things happen, and get a LB that actually, you know, TACKLE!! I think we can find some of those things on this draft. Also, we may need a G

Nope mike
    Suh still hasn’t signed

What’s your thoughts on the new GM rebuilding the team?

Do you think we have 8 new starters next year?

Not being a dick this time

Suh is one, a replacement for Finnegan and Delmas are 2 and 3, Hartline 4, 2 LB spots 6, Satele 7, and maybe Clay 8, if not then Billy Turner.

No idea, it’s too early. I just go with the flow, bro. My GM hat is off when it starts for real. It’s good fun pre-FA but once it starts reality sets in. It’s not about how we go about it, but how the people who actually hold those jobs do it. It’s our team, we will root for them.

We have almost signed a great player and we still question the attention. I give up! LOL

Randy, just having some fun. We all seem to walk on eggshells these days. This should be fun and nothing more.

Thanks Piggy

At least no one else has signed him. lol

Thanks Steve!
    I’m glad to see my efforts get noticed!
    πŸ™‚

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter Β· 6m6 minutes ago
    Free-agent G Shelley Smith, whom the Dolphins released today, is scheduled to visit the Seahawks on Wednesday.

Mandolin says we are interested in Cameron and McCain the Pitt cb

I would like to get a vet OG
    But a vet cb is also a good idea

GEP
    I guess it all comes down to what folks believe the coaches and front office think they need to accomplish to keep their jobs. Or, maybe they don’t really care about that and are just acquiring talent for now and the future. I don’t think that every big name FA signing HAS to mean the team is going for the Super Bowl the next year.

If we keep Clay, we really only desperate for a Safety. LB depending on what you think will happen, Jordan, Misi, and Jenkins should be penciled in as starters now, CB one of our draftees a couple of yrs ago should be ready, WR I think between Wallace, Landry, Matthews, and Hazel we’re ok, Oline Pouncey, Alberts, James, Turner, and Ok maybe we’re desperate for a G too.

Like the Convo’s we have on here
    But I’m actually pretty pessimistic by nature!
    We are rebuilding!
    It’s ok take a deep breath and admit it!
    πŸ˜‰

Wyoming,
    Yep, I read your response. I don’t think we’re completely rebuilding, but I don’t think we’re on the express train to the Superbowl either. We definitely need to make up for years of pretty ineffective drafting. It’s always interesting to hear how others see things. It’s funny sometimes how we can all watch the same things but yet see them differently. Thanks.

Rishard Matthews ‏@_RMatthews Β· 2h2 hours ago
    AFC going to be nice this season

No Shit?

My take on the word rebuilding being thrown around here

8 out of 22 STARTERS is a rebuild!
    It’s just not a BLOW-UP
    Then again I could be drunk and full of shit!
    We will see?

JAC spent the last 2-3 years rebuilding and now they’re trying to take the next step. If you think we’re doing the same thing with trying to sign Suh, okay. πŸ˜‰

You are counting a bunch of guys we added over the last 2 years

It’s just fa turnover

Piggy, I don’t think the Seahawks change a thing. They just added a supreme weapon in Graham when they do pass. They re-signed Lynch too.

Brice McCain hardly is a top tier FA CB. If he’s coming in for a visit, it’s just for a low end deal…IMO.
    He can compete on both St’s & for a role in the nickel pkgs.

Maybe we can wrap Cameron’s head in bubble wrap.

If you are an eagles fan, do you have a jersey left you can wear to the stadium

What we’re doing is trying to clear out some overpaid players who have not lived up to it, at least not in the present time.

Suh and some lesser moves in FA to provide competition, and then we draft. Land 2-3 impact players. We did it last year, do it again!

My Wife say’s it’s time to take my drunk ass to bed!
    Later Haters

Clint Bolling is still out that right GDP?

What’s his story

As I look at Cameron I see Lynch hopefully sans the multiple concussions.
    Both are near same size & weight.
    Cameron 4th rd pick…Lynch 5th.
    Cameron caught 6 passes as a rookie, didn’t really have a big year until year 3.
    Lynch missed rookie year with back trouble. Hope he earns some playing time in year 2.

Boling hasn’t signed yet, but a few teams looming at him
    He’s an experienced starting 25yo LG, did well in Cincy. Built for the ZBS.

I bet we r-sign Delmas

Update….SHIT!
    Bengals re-signed LG Clint Boling.
    Rotoworld’s No. 3 free-agent guard, Boling had been drawing interest from the Vikings and Jets. He’s started 44 games for Cincinnati over the past three years, rebounding nicely from a torn ACL last season. Boling is an above-average run blocker who holds his own in the passing game. His return is good news for Hue Jackson’s offense. Mar 10 – 8:29 PM

Wyoming, rebuilding is when you replace above average players with lesser or unproven players, retooling is what we’re doing. Some guys like Ellerbe and Wheeler didn’t work out, their replacements can’t be worse.

Agreed on Gresham.

Yahoo’s Charles Robinson reports the Browns are interested in free agent Jermaine Gresham.
    That’s if the Raiders don’t get a deal done first. Gresham would be a steep downgrade on Jordan Cameron, albeit one who is on the field more often. We’re not sure what it means that two of the league’s worst franchises are pursuing a player who never panned out in Cincinnati.

I don’t get the knock on him, he scored 5 TD’s last year. In fact he’s averaged about 54 catches & 5 TD’s for Cincy over 5 years.

I’d take a look at OG Justin Blalock or Brian De La Puenta next.

This may be the offense if they’re all ready to go. It’s kind of incomplete but I put a lot of stock into chemistry.

LT Albert
    LG Thomas
    C Pouncey
    RG Turner
    RT James
    TE Sims

QB Tannehill
    RB Miller

WR Wallace
    WR Landry
    WR Rookie (early pick)

Matthews or first round pick at WR, that’s a downgrade to last yrs O, unless Tannehill continues to improve.

It’s essentially the same O, so how you figure?
        Do you think Hartline or Gibson would produce that much better than Matthews or a 1st round big WR?

Do you think Shelley or Colledge not playing OG is a downgrade? How bout Satele?

Matthews had 2 TD’s on a mere 12 rec.
        Time to play the man. I like the way he seems to get open and the way he contests the ball in the air. He won’t go down as easily as Hartline either.

“It doesn’t surprise me, I’ve been tempted to shoot at the TV when our videos come on as well. Especially that damn Beaver video” – “Les Claypool”

Night humans

Suh well

Steve, if we land one of the top WRs I don’t compare them to Matthews at all. Big upgrade there. Chemistry and development is a big factor here in other phases.

The signing of Suh means the defense takes a step up, not gets worse. LOL

He just meant the Offense.
      But Suh can help the offense by proxy of getting them back on the field more often, with good field position, etc.

I’m out too. Goodnight!