New Age – My Fan Origin

New Age- My Fan Origin

My fan origin starts with my father and his part of the story influences all of the rest. My father was raised in a time when the NFL wasn’t nearly as popular and baseball was still king. His grandfather loved the Reds and didn’t watch that other stuff. He preferred football and has always considered Shula the greatest coach ever (he is). He would watch football whenever given the chance but only one game a week because there were more important things to do than just watch TV.

Shula---New-Age
He transferred his allegiance when Shula went to Miami. Those early years were amazing and I wish I had seen some of those games (thanks for letting me relive them OD!) After high school, my dad experienced a bit of wanderlust and decided to explore Florida for a few weeks with his younger brother. They saved up a few weeks of pay and were off. It was an awesome experience for both guys but after 3 weeks…they ran out of money and headed back home to West Virginia. Several years later, he met my mom and they moved to Ormond Beach, Fl. It was a rough but magical time for them but they moved back to care for their parents and grandparents four years later…with two boys in tow. It was a tough decision but they missed their family. Many summers during my early years included trips back to visit where I was born. It’s sad to see the Florida of the 70s and 80s disappear so completely. It was definitely a different place back then.
I can’t remember my first games as a Dolphins fan but I was always one because my dad raised me as a fan. My earliest Dolphins memories are some of the best though. The early 80s teams were very good and as I got older, Marino was a weekly addiction. We were always ‘in the hunt’ and no one had a better QB during the 80s and 90s.

Marino-New-Age

My dad hasn’t seriously watched the Dolphins in 15 years. They are not the preferred weekly choice in our Virginia market, Marino and Shula retired, and he just doesn’t have as much fun watching this team without his kids. He also really enjoys the atmosphere of college football. As a Hokies fan, his taste in college ball seriously diverges from mine but we will always have the same pro team. I’m hoping that we will soon be able to watch a SB together and be cheering for the same team in it…the Dolphins. Let’s hope Hickey, Ross, and Philbin can get us there sooner than later.

Hickey, Ross, Philbin

Aside | This entry was posted in Fan Origin, Misc. Bookmark the permalink.

782 Responses to New Age – My Fan Origin

1. Al in MIA says:

Pig,
    Impressive video via Vine of that HS FG.
    The amazing thing was the high trajectory of the kick which is harder than just kicking a line drive.
    In HS you see some 60 yard attempts from time to time (i saw it more than once in HS done by a guy in Miami-Dade County who was the best soccer player in the state) but usually most HS kickers have to kick line drivers that wont work in the NFL or college with big DL putting their arms up.

2. Silly Tim says:

Do the Jags play a 3-4 or is Odrick going to play 4-3 DE?

Al in MIA says:
    March 9, 2015 at 3:20 pm
    LOL moment of the day for me

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 2m2 minutes ago

Weaping for humanity. RT @sportingnews: Stephen A. Smith suggests racial motives could be behind Chip Kelly’s roster moves

Yes of course. Everyone knows Kelly wants an endangered spiecies white RB and he is now going with an all white LB corp with Alonso….lol
    Stephen A. Smith ( Al Sharpton Jr.)

4. dbolt48 says:

@NFLFilmStudy: Could be a #Dolphins target RT @Rand_Getlin: The #Saints are releasing LB Curtis Lofton, per a source.

I keep seeing reports linking Phins to Brandon Graham….I was wanting him awhile back, but not now. He’ll cost too much and we don’t need to tie up more money in FA solely on the DL after signing Suh!!!
    Get a vet FA – LG, LB, CB, RB, TE, or QB even. In that exact order…IMO.

What I’ve seen and heard says that he won’t cost a whole lot as he is a rotational player.

dbolt48 says:
    March 9, 2015 at 3:34 pm
    Silly Tim says:
    March 9, 2015 at 3:36 pm
    He’s a solid LB.
    ————————————————
    been reporting hints towards him being cut since early on. Read something a while back saying they thought he would be cut, but then they put him out for trade so i wasnt sure if they were unwilling to part with him without compensation. Either way he is definately a good ILB, but he may be more expensive than we can afford. Just depends on what he is asking for. His current salary is really high.

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter
    Patriots not picking up $20 million option in Darrelle Revis’ contract; now set to become free agent Tuesday.
    ______________________
    Let the Jests & Jills fight over him now….lol

Son,
    Free agent DE Brandon Graham is reportedly seeking a four-year deal worth $30 million, with $20 million guaranteed.
    This is a max price and not necessarily what Graham will get paid. The New York Daily News confirms the Giants are in prime contention for Graham, while the Dolphins and Titans are also pursuing him.

9. Al in MIA says:

D,
    I’m with you; I’ve already considered Fields as being cut (even if he will renegotiate or come back as a FA under cheaper terms) lol.

Stanger,
    In case you are interested:

Thanks Al…..already aware. Also aware that his cap hit will not be that next year, least not for us.

10. dbolt48 says:

@NFLFilmStudy: As @SDRedibles pointed out to me- Dennis Hickey was with Tampa Bay when they nearly signed Curtis Lofton a few years ago. Some history there

Lofton is a thumper. I’m thinking Perryman is the same type of player.

I guess when you have a lot of cap space you can do this crap…lol

Bills signed K/P Jordan Gay to a multi-year extension.
    Gay serves as Buffalo’s kickoff specialist behind Dan Carpenter.

13. Al in MIA says:

Dbolt,
    In terms of Fins needs on D, at least Hickey and Tannanbaum came from organizations that were able to identify some top level LB from time to time.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 1m1 minute ago
    Texans officially released WR Andre Johnson.

(singing)

Everybody was pun-Suh fighting

Gipson is the one I’d love to get my hands on if I’m the Phins.

Browns tendered qualifying offers to restricted free agents FS Tashaun Gipson, DB Johnson Bademosi, DL Ishmaa’ily Kitchen and LB Craig Robertson.

Andre Johnson now makes it interesting in Miami for our GM Hick/VP MikeyT.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter ·3 mins3 minutes ago
    Steelers released the beard, Brett Keisel.

19. dbolt48 says:

Quick thought on Lofton…..Wasn’t he Suh’s team mate at OU.

20. Al in MIA says:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago

Eagles re-signing Brandon Graham, per source. Not all Eagles leaving.

21. Al in MIA says:

getterdone says:
    March 9, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Andre Johnson now makes it interesting in Miami for our GM Hick/VP MikeyT.
    —–
    Yep.
    Time to make it happen.
    Reggie Wayne also available and probably cheaper.

Yes, and I’ve mentioned Wayne before but got blog slapped….lol

• Al in MIA says:

lol, you got slapped for that? Reggie Wayne is old but he’s a masterful route runner and IMO will be a great mentor for any young WR not to mention a decent stop gap option as an X receiver (if Fins move on from Wallace).

22. Al in MIA says:

LOL PIGGY @ KONG SUH FIGHTING 🙂

23. Al in MIA says:

March 9, 2015 at 4:01 pm
    So Gay is behind Carpenter?

—-
    I guess that’s better than lining up behind Johnson :/.

24. Silly Tim says:

If we sign Brandon Graham someone is getting moved.

How racist of Chip KKKelly! SMH

Eagles agreed to terms with OLB Brandon Graham on a four-year, $26 million contract.
    The deal reportedly includes $14 million guaranteed.

26. Al in MIA says:

“HI DARRELLE …REMEMBER ME?”

27. Silly Tim says:

Did anyone hear about the guy who recently saw Jesus? He saw him on his tortilla. LOL

Al in MIA says:
    March 9, 2015 at 4:08 pm
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago

Eagles re-signing Brandon Graham, per source. Not all Eagles leaving.
    ———–
    Soooo does that mean Chip Kelly isn’t a racist or is it that he’s partially racist? I’m confused.

Al, agreed on your assessment of Wayne, is same thing I thought. But he’s done they said…right, he only caught 85 passes last year…lol

…of course now that Andre Johnson is a FA now, I’d prefer his old ass over Wayne’s old ass.

31. Silly Tim says:

Maybe someone should call Stephen A. Smith out in a big way to put an end to this type of crap.

32. Al in MIA says:

Lmfao on your Jesus report.
    When did peyote become a condiment? LOL.

33. Al in MIA says:

Cavalier,
    I have to admit, after second thoughts, I find Chip to be very racist.
    He clearly is favor of the Duck race.

34. dbolt48 says:

@ArmandoSalguero: The Dolphins never called about Brandon Graham. Had no interest. So nothing to see. They didn’t “miss out” on him.

35. Al in MIA says:

YO MIKE, LET ME HELP YA OUT

Clay, don’t pay any attention to this! lol. But this should be good news for the Phins as far as the Jills stealing him are concerned. Clay must have told them I don’t like top shovel snow.

The Buffalo News reports free agent TE Lee Smith is expected to sign a “big” contract on Tuesday.
    Per reporter Tim Graham, “when you hear the numbers, you’ll be surprised he got that much.” Smith is a blocker, one who has caught just 20 career passes.

37. Al in MIA says:

Anyone else getting the feeling that corner might be the first pick for Miami? :/.

38. Al in MIA says:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 10m10 minutes ago

Browns use second-round tender on RFA safety Tashaun Gipson, who could draw some interest http://wp.me/p14QSB-9IYS

I’d be tempted to send the Browns a 2nd, especially if we thought we can trade down & pick an extra one up. He’s only 24yo and developing nicely. Well worth it…IMO.

39. Silly Tim says:

Al, I would not be surprised by us taking a corner in the 1st. It’s not first on my list but they pay attention to my list. LOL

• Silly Tim says:

but they don’t pay attention

• Al in MIA says:

lol, I haven’t seen your list but Taylor/Davis are anything but ‘dependable’ at this point.

Same with Aiken & Kovacs…unproven at this point. So getting a pro bowler like Gipson would really go a long way to solidifying the secondary. He could come over to help Taylor/Davis/Thomas, the corner opposite Grimes.

• Silly Tim says:

I hear ya. It’s unfortunate too because I think they both have flashed skills, but they’ve struggled with injuries.

WOW, no one thinks that’s potentially great news that the Jills might be resigning their TE Lee to a big contract? If they do, it should keep them from offering Clay $8M

Interesting comment from a really well-done article on the Pats salary cap choices. It is part of why I hate the evil genius but still respect him.
    ——————–
    “Perhaps he changes his tune as Tom Brady approaches his age 38 season, but Belichick has always taken the approach of having a “B+” chance of contention every year, rather than an “A” level for one season and a “C” level for the subsequent three or four years.”

42. Al in MIA says:

Ryan Mensch ® ‏@RMensch53 50s51 seconds ago

Lee Smith contract may also signal the imminence of a Charles Clay signing. Both types of TE a necessity in Roman’s offense. #BillsMafia

Here is a photo of the Grand Wizard from Chip Kelley’s clan meeting

I thought Lee Smith was a relief pitcher

• Silly Tim says:

I thought he was the guy who makes the doughnuts.

He was a good one for awhile 😉

ME, TOO!! –Something like 478 saves. Deserves to be in the HOF. –BTW, congrats, Son, to the UCF baseball team, now ranked in the TOP 10 of the college baseball polls!

Woo-hoo, thanks OD I hadn’t been paying attention I guess I should.

• Al in MIA says:

LOL. Same here. But speaking of Lee Smith, true story. I went to a Marlins game vs the Expos at SunLife back in 1997 with two of my brothers. My youngest brother was 14 at the time but looked like he was 10. He was always up to no good and would always be up for doing the bad things the older brothers (3 older ones) requested of him. Anyway, he wasn’t much of a baseball fan but we told him how Lee Smith was the all time saves leader (at the time) and that he was very old. My brother went over to the bullpen area (we had infield box seats at the time on visitor side) and he heckled Lee Smith for a few innings telling him repeatedly how old he was and that he should retire. The Expos guys were all laughing and they said a few things to my bro but for the most part they thought it was hilarious that some little turd was ripping on them. No joke, a week and a half later Lee Smith announced his retirement from baseball (while Expos were playing against the Marlins again on a quick week and a half turnaround in schedule).

Al in MIA says:
    March 9, 2015 at 5:04 pm
    ——————————
    1st round pick wouldn’t be any more assurance of dependability. Taylor likely be better next year than anyone we drafted, or at least id feel more confident in it.

Hence my point on a 2nd round for Gipson who’s 24yo and now developed. I wish I knew if Hickey already had some tentative trade down offers. Then it would be a no-brainer…IMO.

A testament to poor drafting or poor coaching schemes/changes???

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
    Per @ArmandoSalguero, Odrick’s reported deal with the Jaguars makes six straight Dolphins 1st-rounders not to get a second contract. Crazy.

Lee Marvin
    The new Bills TE

NEW AGE: Thanks for sharing your story with us. While some on this board sometimes have taken potshots at the Don of Miami, TRUE Dolfans know who the Greatest Head Coach in Dolphin history, and NFL history, is. And I’ll give you a couple of hints: it’s NOT Tony Sparano or Joe Philbin.

MRS. OD got her results back today. She has an under active thyroid, which can be greatly helped by a proven medication. Believe me, the news COULD have been a lot worse, so we’re very thankful. We appreciate all your thoughts and prayers.

50. Silly Tim says:

LOL @ Chip Kelly’s Grand Wizard.

51. Silly Tim says:

Catch you folks later.

Al

I’m almost sure we take a WR with our 1st pick, which is precisely why we’ll take a CB or OL. I wouldn’t be unhappy any of the 3 TBH, we need them all.

I just don’t see the value for a DB @14 even though I think the top Corners will be pretty good.

I think Waynes and Collins are the 2 best, but I agree, I wouldn’t take either at #14, although I’ve seen Waynes mocked in the top 10. CB’s are important in today’s game, and although this particular draft isn’t top heavy, Waynes is clearly the best, so I can see him going early.

WR has to be front of the line. Unless we trade down…….then all bets are off. Could be any place we have a need or want then.

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 1m1 minute ago

With Jared Odrick going to the Jags, the Dolphins have signed 1 first-rnd pick to a second contract dating back to 1997. Vernon Carey.
    ______________________________
    Tannehill will break that streak next season

54. Al in MIA says:

D,
    Top 50 picks are usually better than picks outside the top 50 which is what Davis & Taylor are :P.
    The probabilities of starting are higher going up the selection latter for obvious reasons. Studies have shown that a pick in the top 24 still has a better than 50% chance to start (behind that you are below 50%, hell it’s 42% from Pick 25 to 42).

All the more reason that a 2nd for 24yo Gipson is really intriguing me.

Still see WR as where you want to get that better than 50% chance to get a starter, than CB. Down 1 at CB with two young former day 2 picks in the wings, vs WR where we have 1 guy guaranteed to come back, another still awaiting his fate and a former 7th round pick. Down 2 you wouldn’t want to guarantee a starter at that position?

Of course…I never said don’t pick a WR early. You’ve seen me banging the drum for DGB & White in the 1st.

I don’t think anyone could with a straight face answer anything but Don Shula when asked the best coach in franchise history. He wasn’t without some flaws, but he wouldn’t rank among the best coach of any franchise in the history of the NFL if he sucks or was bad at what he did lol.

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    _____________________
    Shows a lot of regime change as well as lack of elite types being selected in the 1st round, and it’s not like we’ve been selecting in the mid 20’s to 32 either since 1997….lol

What it really sounds like is another home-town reporter trying to stir up shit with the team again. No one running the team now was around for any of that. Stir it up, stir up shit, non stop stirring of bullshit.
      Bite me armando

LOL, well, it does reflect a bit on the history post Don & Dan.
        Now gives us something to look forward to as you’ve mentioned with Tanny, James…now as we are moving forward and trending UP!

Piggy

It’s possible Pouncey might not get his 2nd contract here, especially if he plays like he did last year.

Ohhh no, watch Rex sign him.

Texans released QB Thad Lewis.
    They didn’t deem him worthy of a $745,000 base salary.

60. Al in MIA says:

EAGLES SCOUTING DATABASE HACKED.
    PHOTOS LEAKED

Son

While Armando may very well be stirring it up as you say, it really is part of the problem here in MIA. Think about that. That’s absurd that we haven’t re-signed any of our 1st RD picks since 1997. That needs to end if we’re going to have continuing success. Need to draft better, and keep your talent. First you have to draft the right guy though.

FFR – NLC scouting database

Maybe Suh is also what we need to get these guys like Thomas and Turner to become really good. Similar to how Wake helped James last year.

GDP — with a young and sturdy QB in the fold, we could do worse than get Thad on the cheap and draft a project QB with an upside to put on the PS. Thad has a weak arm, but our offense doesn’t need that as much as most and the kid is smart.

• Al in MIA says:

Agree plus Thad knows the division (has plenty of film room hours on AFC opponents not named Buffalo). For what it’s worth, Thad has a career QB rating of 81.4 lol.

65. Al in MIA says:

Football Outsiders ‏@fboutsiders 3m3 minutes ago

The best clutch kicker of the last 25 years? Surprise: It’s @Matt_Bryant3 of the @AtlantaFalcons. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/best-clutch-kicker-ever

66. Al in MIA says:

lol Dbolt on Caleb…
    Anyway, im out for the night..take care peeps!
    And remember, party on Suh style lol

dbolt48 says:
    March 9, 2015 at 6:06 pm (Edit)
    And we get overinflated comp. Picks

ha ha very true

so just seeing if suh won his SB mvp trophy yet. figured by now he should have won two for the fins

A couple Detroit billboards put up by fans. One that went up yesterday.

70. Try Pod says:

Iupati to cardinals per schefter

We got to get a vet LG/C FA …I’m thinking Boling, Wisniewski, De La Puente, or Blalock.

72. Try Pod says:

Bosh to be ready by start of nba season

You can do this too Wallace Da Kid or Randy Starks! 😉

Chiefs OLB Tamba Hali took a $3 million pay cut.
    He essentially ripped up his old deal and signed a new one-year, $6 million pact with a $5 million signing bonus, $870,000 base salary, and $130,000 workout bonus. Hali will be a free agent in 2016. The Chiefs could have saved $9 million by releasing Hali outright. He’ll stay in K.C. for one more year.

At least Jake Long got all that money as a #1 overall just before the new CBA, same situation with Bradford…sadly neither could stay on the field.

75. jetsssuck says:

Try Pod says:
    March 9, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Bosh to be ready by start of nba season
    ——————————————————————————————————-
    in Riley we trust. I believe they are going to be very good next year. We have the small and big line ups to challenge anyone we just need to get healthy and have a full training camp together..

Cathy tune everyone will love…

77. Silly Tim says:

Armando likes to twist the knife with this team. In an era of FA it’s hard to keep 1st rd picks long-term. I bet other teams have similar track records other than elite QBs.

78. Try Pod says:

Where does this leave Dion Jordan? Serious question, because I really don’t know.

That young man has a little bit of Suh type anger in him, let the real Suh draw it out of him.

• New Age says:

That’s where good coaching finds a spot. This is his first year that hopefully he is available full time from Day 1. Hopefully, he lights it up. We really should push to have JT coaching somewhere on this team if possible. The skills and work he put in is just invaluable.

Enjoyed your story New Age….and you have WV roots? Who knew? 🙂

80. Try Pod says:

Even though I am not convinced the Suh move is in our best interest, it is nice to be relevant- even if it is only in the off season.. and fleeting…

Doesn’t mean he pulled the trigger, but I’m sure what came out in today in the Hernandez trial won’t exactly make the jury think he has a conscience.
    ———————————
    Two nights before Aaron Hernandez is alleged to have been involved in the murder of Odin Lloyd, the former New England Patriots star tried to hook up with the babysitter of his young daughter.

The incident took place at a suburban Boston apartment Hernandez rented in addition to the nearby McMansion that he called home with his girlfriend and daughter. The babysitter, Jennifer Fortier, testified Monday that they kissed in one of the apartment’s bedrooms but then she rebuffed Hernandez’s advancements.

“I pushed him away. I told him, ‘I’m your Nanny. I can’t do this.’ … He understood and said it was OK.”

82. Silly Tim says:

Try, what do you mean where does this leave Jordan? I still think he’ll be used as an edge guy. Will he play some OLB, maybe, but I’m sure he’s still in the mix. He needs a clean offseason and TC and we’ll go from there.

83. Try Pod says:

60’s here tomorrow- woohoo!
    Meanwhile, I’m sitting in bed with a 101° fever…

84. Silly Tim says:

Anyone think Starks is willing to take a pay cut as a backup rotation guy? He did say when he signed his 2 year deal he hopes to retire here.

85. Silly Tim says:

Try, I think the plan for Jordan was to be a pass rushing end and he hasn’t been able to beat out Wake or Vernon. I don’t think it’s anymore complicated then that.

• Try Pod says:

But what do we do with him? Develop him? Dangle him and see what the interest is?

• Silly Tim says:

I say keep developing him and have him the rotation. The thing is the coaches have used him in various ways as they get called clueless on how to use him. The curious case of Dion Jordan is on Jordan, IMO.

86. Silly Tim says:

It was 50 today and the projection is nothing but mid 40s, 50s and maybe even 60s for the next 7 days or so. We might finally be out of this thing they call winter. 🙂

Try Pod says:
    March 9, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Where does this leave Dion Jordan?

i read that a few times then looked at the comments then went back to read it again and then re-read the comments and re-read it again then the comments again. and all i kept reading was wtf does dion sanders have to do with anything. then i finally saw after a dozen reads it said ‘jordan’.

bet this clients tax return i am working on is going to love the end results the way i am seeing things right now

Try Pod says:
    March 9, 2015 at 7:26 pm

What’s his market?

he is an African American football player. i am sure it is walmart.

89. dbolt48 says:

@DustinFox37: Breaking: Brian Hartline is signing with the Cleveland #Browns.

• Silly Tim says:

Good for him, his hometown and he’ll help them and not be in our division with our hated rivals. Good luck, Brian, you’ve always been a good pro.

• jahndoh says:

Ugh. Good luck to you Brian. I’ll always be a fan, except when you’re playing against us!

90. Silly Tim says:

I wonder what role analytics played in the signing of Suh? His size/strength/speed ratio, performance on the field, age, durability etc.

• Brian in NY says:

I’m pretty sure it was a simple viewing of his tape.

• Silly Tim says:

But did we use all of the intel to determine yes you offer a guy like this that type of money? Would we have offered him the same kind of deal at say 31 years old even if he was still playing at a high level?

• Brian in NY says:

I’m pretty sure it was a simple viewing of his tape, and his bio.

• dbolt48 says:

I wondering if they have analytic for the ability to perform a rolling nut kick? Suh was damn good at it😂

He scored perfect on the ” I will eat your liver” test

91. Silly Tim says:

Is BUF the only team interested in Clay? I haven’t read about interest from one other team.

I think it’s hush hush

• Silly Tim says:

Hush, thought I heard you calling my name now…
        Hush, hush, I need your production but I’m not in charge now…

• jahndoh says:

Keep the faith Tim, I’ll ride shotgun on the wagon. That one report out of Buffalo was too vague. An offer doesn’t mean the fins can’t match it.

92. jahndoh says:

Ok Piggy, I’m here. Looks like I was the one who got played and not you guys. Ready for my Oinkining!

I tend to strongly agree with DRG’s post on the subject, but when it comes to Philbin, I (get ready for a shock) disagree. i tend to agree more with Tim’s take on that, and in my words, and opinion, I think the notion that Philbin can’t handle strong personalities is mostly created and propagated by fans who don’t like him.

In defense of Philbin, here’s “small personality, Mr. R-E-L-A-X’s thoughts on the coach.
    “He was always great at being able to convey the message that we needed to hear that week.”

Rodgers, a starting quarterback for four years (2008-11) under Philbin, sees the Dolphins’ coach much differently.

“I owe a lot of my success to working under him,” said Rodgers, who might be the best quarterback in the NFL.

When Rodgers leads Green Bay (3-2) against the Dolphins (2-2) on Sunday at Sun Life Stadium, he’ll look across the field and see a man who was destined to become a head coach.

“We joke about the ‘Cup of Joe’ on Saturday mornings,” Rodgers said, “but I think there’s a lot to be said for an ability to control the attention of a room. Joe, every time he stood up in front of the team and talked, or stood up in front of the offense, he knew he had the respect of the players because we saw how hard he worked, his passion for the game, the way that he taught and the way that he cared about his players.”

To the person who tried to draw a line in the sand as though it’s not possible to be a fan of Philbin yet still acknowledge that Shula is the best Dolphin coach of all time, I reject that line. Imagine me jumping over it and back again, repeatedly. I truly admire Philbin, and randomly, yesterday, talking with a Charger fan in SD at a brewery, the guy offered up, unsolicited: “I really like your coach, what’s his name again? The way he brought that team together and stepped up after all that incognito Martin noise was amazing. He’s a great leader.”

Anyway, I don’t get a lot of backing on this board when I voice those opinions of our coach, so it was nice to hear it from a stranger.

I tried to read all this but all I can read is squealing ..

JBB Jahn
      🙂

• jahndoh says:

LOL…do hope you’ll read it though. I know I get skipped a lot, but I try to put some thought into my posts and hope some other fan on the board gets something out of it. 🙂

93. Silly Tim says:

Brian, thanks for watering down my question and mentioning his bio. LOL

Pros: big, strong, athletic DT who can dominate the LOS and get after the QB.
    Cons: sometimes plays out of control and can be a dirty player by kicking and stepping on people.

wow. just wow. it is the end of times. god is being a negative fan.

You can doubt god…….but no problem trying to having him on your good side. Just in case. 🙂

• jahndoh says:

Clearly. LOL @ your comment earlier about the client and his tax returns based on the way you’re seeing things. I’ve been there man. Sometimes the neurons just don’t fire right.

X

in this instance i am being a perfect jahnistian. i am taken what he said and just picking out the parts i agree with.

‘So while I’m not convinced it was a smart thing, I sure as help am rooting to be proven wrong. Hope this guy is all you guys promised me he’d be.’

jahn

i laughed at myself. i just said fuck it and went into print mode. no more working on tax returns tonight based on how i read that.

• jahndoh says:

Yeah, ya gotta pace yourself. Sometimes when I try and grind too much I end up wasting time. Doing something right, or over will take me 60 minutes, when if I had taken a 30 minute break, I probably could have come back and done it in 30 minutes. Don’t know if that makes sense, but in a nutshell. I think it’s good to take breaks.

jahndoh says:
    March 9, 2015 at 8:08 pm

“Help” should have read “Hell” there fwiw.

oh well now you tell me. the hell with that. now i disagree with everything you said.

98. Silly Tim says:

Jahn, we didn’t click the other day for whatever reason but just want you to know I meant nothing against what you were saying. I was just sharing my feelings on the whole Suh speculation which now seems to be 99.9% gonna happen.

Cheers!

• jahndoh says:

Cheers bro. I have my concerns about the contract’s cap ramifications, but (it appears) he’s a Fin now, and when the contract specifics get released I’ll go into homer mode and figure out how to like it. 🙂

Go Suh!

99. Silly Tim says:

So if the Bills want to offer Clay a deal they think we won’t or can’t match, what would it be?

• jahndoh says:

Would be hard to know. Reportedly they gave McCoy a contract extension, so it’s hard to know where they stand with their cap. Might be a case of making him what they see as a generous offer, and hope that our valuation of him will be less than that. Would think the basis for their offer would start by considering the transition tag number of 7M+

100. Silly Tim says:

Jahn, Shula also likes Philbin but that gets tossed into the company line waste paper basket because that’s how it works when you don’t like a guy.

The bottom line for Philbin is he has to start winning and we all know that.

• jahndoh says:

Yup. And like Sparano, if it doesn’t work out with Joe as the HC (knocking on wood), I’m not going to be a revisionist. I like the guy, and if I were an athlete, I’d play my ass off for him.

• Try Pod says:

He seems like a very nice man. I’d want him for a grandpa, or perhaps even a dad. I’m not convinced he is a good head coach, but I don’t disparage him, except for if I think of something funny. So, I don’t disparage him.

jahndoh says:
    March 9, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Back to normal than. 🙂

lol.

(but dont tell anyone else on the blog, but in all honesty i agree with you quite often)

Jahn

Honestly these days im in “lets improve the roster mode” rather than judge Philbin mode

I have no doubt Rogers sees him as a mentor fwiw

But I have a hard time giving Philbin the support you give him
    That said I don’t see myself criticizing him in the offseason

• jahndoh says:

Everyone’s got their opinions. I don’t share Boulder and Mike E’s opinion of him, but I’m ok with the differences. If we are sitting on this blog at 2-2 or 3-2 and the firing talk starts, I can virtually guarantee it’s going to drive me nutty, but I’m going to try really hard to just close the blog down if I can’t handle the negativity this coming season. I love Tannehill, I’m excited about the offense as a whole, and how can I not be excited about the defense now?

I REALLY want to focus on ENJOYING this upcoming season, for whatever it has to offer. We’ll see if I can execute on that strategy or not. 🙂

• Silly Tim says:

2-3 or 3-2? How about 1st series of a game or 1st quarter. It happens every game day and when that starts I usually leave for awhile because it bums out my game watching experience. LOL

Most games come down to 4th quarter and we had a lot of those. As a team, I do think that’s an area we need to improve on. Finish!

103. Silly Tim says:

Maybe Philbin isn’t a good HC, but the guy is a good coach and knows the game. The same with Sparano. Not everyone is HC material but that doesn’t mean they don’t know football and can’t coach players up. It might mean they just aren’t good at controlling the entire deal. We’ll see.

Trypod

I think Suh is the best thing for Jordan, provided we leave Jordan at DE

If we brought in another edge rusher (like the Graham rumor) then I think there is a chance Jordan plays OLB

I guess that is the open question with Jordan – is
    He going to be DE or OLB?

• Try Pod says:

I do want that guy to work out for us. I’d really like to have him be able to make up for an aging Wake’s loss of ability- someone to rush off the edge. It’s kinda why I asked what the plan is for him. I have no idea how they intend to use him.

Maybe they analyzed what I said last year
      and they’ll bring him in this year as a Power Safety

We don’t need no stinkin’ Shaq

Suh – Perryman – Jordan
      the middle of the defense

soooooooooooooooo pretty sure jahn is going to be driven nutty this upcoming season.

Although “Suh- Shaq Redemption” sounds pretty cool…

107. Silly Tim says:

Try, I think taking over a 7-9, 7-9, and 6-10 team and going 7-9, 8-8 and 8-8 while changing the philosophy and roster is not this gigantic negative.

As fans we’re the ones wallowing in mediocrity or worse for a decade. Philbin and his staff along with Tannehill and other personnel have nothing to do with that.

But the late season collapses has to stop. You can’t be a good team playing your worst football late in the season.

If that happens again I’ll be the first to say it’s time for a change.

If you look at it closely, we’ve begun to purge the old guard.

Dion Jordan the NFL’s first Short fielder

109. Silly Tim says:

It seems like Ellerbe, Starks and Fields will be the next purges. They account for $19.75M in 2015 salary. Do you think the production matches the cost? I don’t. The cap hit in dead money is $6M.

why the fuck does every one keep talking about dion sanders.

Jahn

I read your post, and all I can say is, Philbin needs to prove to me that he’s as good as you think he is. I think that’s fair. At this point, I’ve seen a team that has been in contention near the end of the year, and then fallen flat on it’s face and out of contention 2 years in a row. That needs to change, either by being so far ahead that the last couple of games don’t really matter, or by playing our best football at the end of the season, instead of our very worst.

Right now, neither of opinions matter much, it’s a new year, new season, and hopefully we’ll have enough talent to make his job a little easier, and we can ALL be happy!

Cheers!

• jahndoh says:

I think that’s all totally fair. Hopefully the addition of Suh will lead to a little less “wear down” on the defensive side of the ball this coming season. For what Suh’s making, I would expect him all by himself to improve this team by 2 games or more, if that happens and we don’t backslide in other areas (that’s easier said than done of course) we should be in the playoffs. Like you said, it’s a new year, new season…time will tell!

You won’t be the first, I can personally guarantee it. 🙂

Tim, broncos are also said to be interested in Clay. Little worried about them since its getting to play with Manning. Only think I think we got going for us in that respect is well weather and the fact that I think a smart player understands the manning thing will be one year tops and afterward they probably clean house.

So tomorrow for the Suh signing to be official. Stuff can still happen. The Lions offer was not that far off ours.

ken

cant say if he doesnt sign with the fins i think it will that bad a thing. i would be ok with it.

and ken, fuck that, haven’t you heard. the fins got dion sanders.

ok and with that boys, taking my blind old ass home. later all

Jahn:
    I agree the odds are slim but strange shit has happened to this franchise before.

117. Silly Tim says:

FFR is still struggling with Deion Sanders. Some call that retardation. LOL

As much as I am not a fan of this move for the financial and cap implications it has at least I am not a 49ers fan. It’s much better watching your team sign a marquis free agent as opposed to watching your team disintegrate in front of your eyes.

• jahndoh says:

Totally. I was just thinking, no matter if you’re FOR or AGAINST signing Suh, Ya can’t really say the FO isn’t “trying”

119. Silly Tim says:

In case anyone missed this.

No they all should go though I would be OK keeping Fields on restructure.

• jahndoh says:

In general I also don’t think the production matches the cost, but to be fair, you have to look at each of those players in a vacuum, according to their cap hits to make that assessment. I think they all should be worried, but doesn’t mean 1 or 2 of them won’t end up staying.

Tim:
    My feelings on the signing are really mixed. On one level I really don’t like spending that much money on any position not a QB. I think it will have very significant cap implications for this franchise and possibly limit our ability to fix holes that need to get fixed. On the other hand I would be lying if I said I wasn’t excited to watch Suh play and see our DL in action. I also think if the deal fell apart now regardless of what I think it would be catastrophic for the image of the franchise.

• Silly Tim says:

All fair enough. If Suh turned his back on us I agree it would be a black eye, but a temporary one because the real results happen on the field. The Lions might even get more flack for fucking around with it.

• jahndoh says:

I think catastrophic is hyperbole. The hulabaloo is created by the media, and us. Read the blog the last week. Not the teams fault that Piggy got so excited about the prospect of Suh that he misplaced his pants. 🙂

We would be a laughing stock of the national media if we lost Suh at this point. Also we would have lost out on our ability to land other prized FAs such as Iupati or Cobb or Maclin because we put all our eggs into the Suh basket. So my catastrophic is hyperbole but it would not be good.

• jahndoh says:

I think someone here called us that over the GM search last season. Not even a topic of discussion anymore. Like I said, hyperbole.

• jahndoh says:

Anyway, no way in hell I’m giving this discussion air time. What “would” happen doesn’t matter. What happens will happen, and it’ll all play out in time.

I am a don’t count the chickens before they hatch kind of guy. I don’t like to say we have him until the contract is signed and the ink is dry. Not trying to stir shit but it’s just the way I think. I don’t like all the talk that he is ours when officially he is not.

It was funny listening on NFL Radio today and hearing all the Raiders fans calling up and bitching about not getting Suh.

Nearly every team was reported to be interested in Suh. There are a lot of teams who would gave loved to have won the sweepstakes.

The Raiders had been one of the front runners if not the front runner. It was even announced that Suh would be making a visit there on Tuesday. I hope he can get a refund on the ticket.

• jahndoh says:

It could not have been “announced” by anyone official, because doing so would’ve violated the league rules on the 3-day negotiation period. To be honest, I too have been listening to Sirius, and I think the only people who truly believed the Raiders were players in the Suh sweepstakes were Raider fans. LOL…I laughed at them all week.

Jahn:
        I thought the Raiders made a fair amount of sense primarily because they have huge amounts of cap space and I thought they would blow everyone away in terms of an offer. Also they have a couple of good young defensive players such as Mack and a young QB with potential. I didn’t think we or just about any team could match financially what the Raiders would offer.

122. Silly Tim says:

I said all along that the likely Suh signing reminded me of how fast Wallace was linked to us and we signed him right out the gate. We’ll see. I will be shocked if Suh changes his mind. But you know what. I’ll move on just as fast. You know why, what else are you going to do?

In case we lose Clay I suppose we could always trade Jordan to Philly for Eiffert. LOL.

Justin Higdon’s 2015 NFL Draft Hidden Gems – Domonique Hayden RB Thomas More College

125. Silly Tim says:

Piggy and Son are almost finished with painting Suh and #90 without Mitchell’s consent on their jerseys. But that’s to be expected. Mitchell will probably get a Tesla for Suh’s #90. LOL

NFL Draft Expert ‏@2014_NFL_Draft · 18m18 minutes ago
    Jaguars reach agreement with former Broncos TE, Julius Thomas #NFLFreeAgency #Jaguars https://awbsports.wordpress.com/2015/03/06/nfl-free-agency-2015/

Jaguars spending money. Not sure the Odrick signing was a good one for them but this makes sense to give Bortles another weapon. Thomas is good although I think he is also something of a product of Peyton Manning.

Cleveland Browns ‏@Browns · 53m53 minutes ago
    The Browns’ newest wide receiver, Brian Hartline

PHOTOS: http://bit.ly/1KNNOwa

128. Silly Tim says:

I think the problem with the Raiders signing Suh was the Raiders. They have no direction at this time. I think Odrick made a better choice with JAC if that’s where he ends up.

While on that topic, I think we fans sometimes under-value talent in this league based on stats. Teams look at game tape and evaluate every down based on ability. Odrick is a young, rare specimen at 6-5 305 who can move. I agree he never met the projections I/we had hoped for him, but he’s only 27 years old. We’ll see.

Odrick was a big disappointment last year. I didn’t want him back regardless of Suh or not. I really liked what I saw in Fede and wanted to see him get a chance in place of Odrick.

Tim – I don’t think he’s a special player at DT. I do think he’s a better fit at DE, and I would have expected a 3-4 team, but The Jags need him to play DT until their starter is healthy, so he’ll fill that role. He’s young, but his best season were at 3-4 DE

I always liked Hartline!
    Good luck playing everyone but the Fins!

If Suh doesn’t sign with us it won’t mean we did anything wrong, and won’t reflect negatively on our team. What it will mean is we might have to spend an earlier pick on a DT than we had planned, but not the end of the end of the world. It’s the same place we were about 2 weeks ago, actually. Not terrible. Draft either Shelton, Brown, Goldman, Wright, Phillips or Jarrett, or maybe even someone later if they think he can do the job. I would be disappointed only because I thought we had him, but I’ll get over it.

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley
    Hartline agrees to a 2 year deal worth $6M, per @RosenhausSports. “Brian is happy to be back to playing ball in his home state.”
    ________________________________
    I thought the Phins offered him to restructure? That’s a lot less than what he was making.

I think they told him to test the market and then talk. However, I think with the Suh signing there is very little room to talk with FA WRs.

I think it was the money, his playing time, and feeling wanted. I’m sure he felt like he’d have a bigger role with CLE, and that should mean a lot.

Jahn

No matter what I think of Philbin, I really would be much happier if I was wrong about him and we win. I hope you believe that. I’d be more than happy to be proven wrong, as we enjoy a nice playoff run, and maybe even a Superbowl or 2 or 3.

Jags are said to be paying Julius about $9M per. So if that’s too rich for their blood, then maybe Clay @ $8M is too high as well.
    I think Clay camp is telling everyone they are staying in Miami. This is a good sign…IMO.

Holliman’s pro day is in 2 days. I’m extremely curious to see how he fares. I was really disappointed he didn’t perform at the combine, but his pro day is now huge for him. He needs to kill it to show NFL teams he should be a 2nd day pick.

This 72 hour window has taken a lot of the suspense out of FA. My article tomorrow is going to look like old news.

Justin Higdon ‏@afc2nfc · 4h4 hours ago
    One of my hidden gems: http://draftbreakdown.com/justin-higdons-2015-nfl-draft-hidden-gems-terrell-watson-rb-azusa-pacific/ … MT @TheCFX: Terrell Watson pro day: 239lbs 35.5″ vert 123″ broad 22 reps low 4.5s in the 40

Later Haters!

LOL, Mando the pot stirrer,

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    Hartline wanted to play of an elite QB. He’ll play with Josh McCown and Johnny Football.

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley

Screw you, “Mr I’ll play in NE for a discount” there you go now you can go catch and fall down in f’n Cleveland. Oh yeah I’m sure you’re so excited to play in Cleveland and not South Florida. What NE wants guys that stay on their feet?

140. Silly Tim says:

Mike E, I agree on Odrick. He is a solid young D-lineman. We just didn’t feel he was the answer anymore at his price. I think Fede will give us his type of production in a lesser rep role and we also re-signed the big boy Francis 6-5 330 to compete with Johnson 6-2 305 again as the #3 DT. Suh plays a ton of snaps, rarely comes off the field. He changes everything. Mitchell is our #2 DT.

So now it comes to down to where does Starks fit in? I highly doubt he fits in at $6M with a $1M dead cap hit.

Further optimism that Clay will still be a Dolphin!!!

The Broncos have shown interest in free agent TEs Owen Daniels and Ed Dickson.
    It’s a no-brainer as Gary Kubiak is installing his TE-reliant offense and Daniels has played his entire career for Kubiak, following him from the Texans to the Ravens. Dickson should be a fallback plan.

I kinda hope Starks takes a pay cut. He’s been a good player here, and good cog in our defense, so it would be nice for him to be a part of the team that turns the corner.

Like I posted earlier…Tamba Hali tore up his contract and is taking about $3M less a yr to stay a Chief.
    I encourage Starks & even Wallace to do the same. Be a team playa! 😉

New Blog post up. I was trying to set it up for tomorrow a.m. but I messed up and published it now. My bad. But Hulk’s Free Agency Primer is up. Hulk Angry and slightly dated as I drafted it over the weekend. Damn 72 hour window.

WOW, guess he wants to stay a Cowboy & WOW signed a 10yr deal in 2013? I wonder if that’s right? lol

Cowboys LT Tyron Smith agreed to restructure his contract, converting $10 million of his 2015 base salary into a “signing” bonus.
    Since Smith is signed through 2023, it saves the Cowboys over $8 million against the salary cap. Smith graded out as a top-six left tackle at Pro Football Focus last season, excelling both as a run blocker and pass protector.

Straight up draft, Post Suh, no trades

Your score is: 4714 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 14: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15: Jalen Collins, CB, LSU (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami (Fla.) (C+)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson (B)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Jeremiah Poutasi, OT/OG, Utah (C)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Karlos Williams, RB, Florida State (A)
    Round 7 Pick 15: Jarvis Harrison, OG, Texas A&M (D-)

• Silly Tim says:

I like that a lot.

You took into account that Jason Fox at this time is the backup tackle.

Not sure we draft two WRs top 3 rounds though.

147. Silly Tim says:

LDE Wake/Fede
    LDT Suh/Francis
    RDT Mitchell/Johnson
    RDE Vernon/Jordan
    OLB/DE McCain
    LB Jenkins, Misi, Tripp, Rookie, ?
    CB – Grimes, Taylor, Davis, ?, ?
    S – R. Jones, Aikens, ?, ?