ABSOLUTE PERFECTION: THE 1972 MIAMI DOLPHINS

By:  RANDY CAMPBELL (OLD DOLFAN)

GAME 9: NOV. 12, 1972 – BOSTON at MIAMI

On Nov. 16, 1959, Boston business leader Billy Sullivan won the eighth and final franchise for the new American Football League.  Sullivan invited area citizens to submit possible nicknames for the franchise.  The most popular choice (and the one preferred by Sullivan) was “Patriots.”  The team had a vagabond existence in the AFL.  Their home fields included Nickerson Field (1960-62); Fenway Park (1963-68); Alumni Stadium at Boston College (1969); and Harvard Stadium (1970).  Beginning in 1971, the renamed New England Patriots moved to a stadium in Foxborough then known as Schaefer Stadium.  It was renamed Sullivan Stadium in 1983.  The Boston Patriots made only one appearance in the AFL playoffs from 1960 through 1969.  The 1963 squad, led by Vito (Babe) Parilli, receiver and place kicker Gino Cappellitti and linebacker Nick Buoniconti, made it all the way to the AFL Championship Game.  That game, played at tiny Balboa Stadium, proved to be a nightmare for Patriots’ fans as the San Diego Chargers destroyed Boston 51-10.

The New England Patriots struggled mightily when the AFL and the NFL merged.  A 2-12 record in 1970 was followed by a 6-8 slate in 1971.  In 1972, Patriots fans hoped their team finally would have another winning campaign.  Quarterback Jim Plunkett, running back Carl Garrett and receiver Randy Vataha were all upper echelon players.  But the lack of defensive playmakers led most observers to predict a sixth consecutive losing season for New England.  Suspicions about the Patriots’ defense proved to be justified.  This 2-6 team had already given up an average of over 30 points a game.  And now they had to travel to the historic Orange Bowl to face an offense deemed “unstoppable” by Miami’s offensive coordinator, Howard Schnellenberger.

The Dolphins were overwhelming favorites.  But I didn’t care.  To my surprise, the U. S. Army sent me back home to my beloved Florida two months before my tour of duty was scheduled to end.  I received what is known as an “early out.”  I was broke, tired, despondent and in a poor frame of mind after working on mostly was casualties for nearly two years (often working 16+ hours per day).  But when my brother-in-law said he had an extra ticket FOR ME, I jumped for joy like a little boy!  I would get to see MY DOLPHINS play IN PERSON!  I WOULD BE A WITNESS TO HISTORY!  Thankfully, my old Datsun sedan got me all the way from Ft. Ord, California, to South Florida without breaking down.

This game was, in reality, a scrimmage for the vastly superior Dolphins.  Mercury Morris, the star in the previous win over Buffalo, scored from four yards away and Miami had a quick 7-0 lead.  A few minutes later, Morris scored again from the four to increase the lead to 14-0.  A chip shot field Yepremian field goal made it 17-0 after the first quarter.  The rout was on!  New England simply could not stop the Dolphins offense.  In the second stanza, Larry Csonka steam rolled to a three yard touchdown run.  Before halftime, Mercury Morris scored his THIRD touchdown of the first half and Miami was in complete control at 31-0.  Early in the third quarter, Earl Morrall tossed a bulls eye, good for 16 yards and a touchdown, to Marlin Briscoe.  It was 38-0 and Shula pulled Morrall, Csonka, Kiick, Morris and Warfield.

4efa2b6cb7ddd_238025n

Meanwhile, the “No Name Defense” continued to stuff the Patriots’ offense.  Dolphin fans expected, and GOT, another shutout.  In the final quarter, third string quarterback Jim Del Gaizo got to see significant action.  Known as “The Mad Bomber” for his propensity for deep passes, Del Gaizo unleashed a 51-yard bomb to Briscoe to expand the lead to 45-0.  Not satisfied, the University of Tampa product tossed another long bomb to tight end Jim Mandich, good for 39 yards and a 52-0 final score.

On the day, Schnellenberger’s “unstoppable” offense roared for 181 yards rushing and 318 yards passing!  Meanwhile, the “No Name Defense” limited the Pats to just 169 yards total offense, much of it in “garbage time” in the second half.  Jim Plunkett completed only 7 of 19 passes for 66 yards.  And the “No Names” intercepted three New England passes.

This game marked Don Shula’s 100th victory as an NFL head coach.  Only 8 other NFL coaches had achieved this plateau.  And Shula was the YOUNGEST to ever do it.  President Richard Nixon called Shula in the locker room to congratulate the Don of Miami.  Shula responded “I hope the next time you call me it’s in the locker room after we’ve won the Super Bowl!”  This undefeated team was now the talk of the sporting world.  They had won their last three games by a combined score of 105-16.  Talk of a Perfect Season was now in the air.

KGrHqRiIE8Kt9S+YOBPV+dzhRQg60_57-1024x682

The 1972 Miami Dolphins were now 9-0.

This entry was posted in Absolute Perfection and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

296 Responses to ABSOLUTE PERFECTION: THE 1972 MIAMI DOLPHINS

1. jetsssuck says:

Don Shula’s Career Coaching Milestones
    First Win: September 22, 1963 at San Francisco 49ers, 20-14
    100th Win: October 15, 1972 vs. San Diego Chargers, 24-10
    200th Win: November 8, 1981 at New England Patriots, 30-27 (OT)
    300th Win: September 22, 1991 vs. Green Bay Packers, 16-13
    324th Win: October 31, 1993 vs. Kansas City Chiefs, 30-10
    325th Win: November 14, 1993 at Philadelphia Eagles, 19-14

This victory was Shula’s 100th regular season victory as believed during the times but according to HOF his 100th victory was Oct 15th,1972 because they counted playoff games..

2. jetsssuck says:

“I hope the next time you call me it’s in the locker room after we’ve won the Super Bowl!” Shula was known as a “choker” because he failed to win the BIG one 3 times before leaving for Miami. Then he lost a fourth time to Dallas. He was then known as the coach who couldn’t win big games.

3. jetsssuck says:

Today is april fools day. My wife was born on 1-4-60 but if you go by European dates the day comes first then the month and finally the year thus 4-1-60. So today I surprised my wife with her 2nd birthday of this year before she left for work . She just looked at me and opened her present.She must think I went over the deep end.

Shula was born on the same day January 4th.

4. Try Pod says:

Yay, Dolphins! When ess the last time we were 9-0?
    Thanks OD.

OD

This sucks
    I wish we would have cut and paste the Phinsider instead and then left it running for days until we broke 100 comments

April Fools !!!
    This post is excellent
    This series is excellent
    We should be so lucky to have am opportunity to run and read it again

MY THANKS to “Jets Suck” and “Try Pod” for your kind words. It’s nice to know so many of you out there in Dolphin Country appreciate my modest efforts to tell the story of the Greatest Team in Pro Football History. And make “ABSOLUTELY” no mistake; the ’72 Dolphins WERE, and ARE, the best pro football team in history!! – – As I once said to a fan of another team, “When your team goes 17-0 with a back-up quarterback starting 11 of those games, come and talk to me. Until then the ’72 Dolphins are the greatest team in NFL history, PERIOD!!
    ————-
    “SHOW ME,” that’s my motto. SHOW ME another team that could run the table relying so heavily on a 38-year old back-up quarterback!! The 1972 Dolphins did, indeed, “SHOW ME!” –Eat it. Sleep it. Live it. THE PERFECT SEASON IS OURS TO ENJOY!!

Dolphins Win again, happy Wednesday everyone.

Apparently Greg Jennings tried to play an April fools joke on everyone last night and it went over like a fart in church.

I’ll play football against ANY of them.

OD, your boys came to town and whooped up on my boys. Fau 11- 5 over UCF.

Great job once again OD! Another story very well told.

Son

Are you suggesting there are places where farts are not well received?

Holy shit they did it.

Mark Eckel @MarkEckel08 · 1m
    The Philadelphia Eagles have traded Cornerback Brandon Boykin and a third-round pick to the Miami Dolphins for Defensive End Dion Jordan and a swap of the No. 20 pick for the Dolphins No. 14 pick.

OD, good stuff.

Jim Plunkett completed only 7 of 19 passes for 66 yards and 3 picks. Man that’s the kind of game that would have fans calling for your head.

TODAY Don’t take anything you read on twitter or the internet seriously

its only a matter fo time before some one says “I swear its not an April Fools Day joke” – and then admits it is

If they actually did trade Jordan for a starting CB and a 3rd RD pick, I wouldn’t be crushed. I would be unhappy about the 1st RD swap though.

Unless of course the swap moved us up into the top 10, that could work.

20 is not so much worse than 14
      expect when it comes to trade down value

We are basically hoping a player like White, La’el Collins or Scherf fall to us at 14

I guess Parker and Kendricks basically become less likely at 20 than 14 b/c those two can easily go in that space

Honestly I don’t know what to think about Boykin
      He has never made a probowl, doesn’t have awe inspiring stats and was a 2012 4th round pick
      I’m thinking the worst part is the player swap even though we get a 3rd rounder

Jordan;s potential, even if unrealized, is probably worth a better player

I don’t think a deal like that would happen.

It’s not that it’s so much worse, but yeah, we could lose out on either 1 of the 3 receivers, or worse, Collins or Scherff, which would really piss me off.

I would think Jordan is a better player than Boykin, but he hasn’t done it here yet, and for all we know, he may never do it here.

That said
      Is it worth giving up that shot at potential just to acqurie a guy like Boykin
      I don;t think so
      Boykin is nothing special – who’s to say we don;t draft out own Boykin int he 4th round
      Who’s to say Jamar Taylor isn;t much better than Boykin in 2015

If we were talking about a better quality CB that is one thing. But the eagles weren;t a good pass defense and I get nothing out of Boykins

The eagles wasnt their DBs to create TOs and their defense is ont he filed for a long time with many opportunites yet Boykin was not able to capitilze

I don;t see the interest in this guy
      We may need a security blanket at CB in case Taylor doesn’t work
      but I think we can just draft a young prosepct or sign a vet to do that
      not give up on Jordan

I think the entire concept ios hogwash

and I know hogwash

Mike E
    assuming Collins and Scherf are available at 14 – but that doesn;t appear to be likely
    I think Collins and Scherf and White are pretty high on our draft board – but will any of those 3 last until 14?

Hmmmm you just gave me a poll idea

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I wish they were, but I think none of those 3 will be around at 14.

None of those guys might make it to our pick, but there’s a pretty decent shot that one of them does. Out of Cooper, Parker, White, Scherff, Collins, I’d say Parker is the most likely to be there.

I think Parker being available at 14 is very likely

I’m just thinking about whether other, higher rated prospects might be there

LOL @ Piggy

We should do a mock draft here to see how it might go down.

Probably some where around mid month would be a good time for a mock draft
    Maybe we can work in 2

we should start asking peopke when their best times for availability are to set aside time for the mock

New Poll Up
    3 highly rated prospects

which one is most likely to drop to 14
    None is not an option….lol

Piggy
    – You asked for it

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 14: La’el Collins, OT/OG, LSU (A)
    Round 2 Pick 19 (HOU): Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn (A)
    Round 3 Pick 32 (N.E.): Davis Tull, OLB, Chattanooga (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 1 (TENN): Ronald Darby, CB, Florida State (A)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Mike Hull, ILB/OLB, Penn State (B)
    Round 5 Pick 13: MyCole Pruitt, TE, Southern Illinois (A)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Tyler Varga, FB, Yale (A)
    Round 6 Pick 15: Karlos Williams, RB, Florida State (A)

Get it?

What did you do?
      Trade down int he 2nd and 3rd to acquire and extra 3rd and 4th rounder

Tim loves your 5th round pick
      I don;t think we would need Varga and Willaims – but to me those are our late round big back options and I wouldn;t mind one of them in the 5th or 6th round

Also I like the Tull and Hull LBs which is sure to be confusing

My big question about this draft – which other WRs were available when you took Coates
      Coates has a big upside but he is very risky
      I think that is the weak spot int his draft

Piggy, Funchess was there, but Agholor, and obviously Perriman and the other guys were gone too. This was the Tull and Hull draft you were talking about.

I traded back in the 2nd twice

If everyone who’s doing the mock draft knows the teams needs that they draft for, then it’s a great exercise, and pretty realistic.

La’el Collins pulling away in the poll
    He has 100% of the vote

I think Scherff is almost a sure top 10 pick. Collins is a fringe top 10 guy, although I’ve seen many scouts think he may be the best true LT prospect in this draft.

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly
    April Fools is my least favorite day of the year because I don’t think people realize journalists have to chase BS. So keep it to yourself.
    ___________________________________
    Well now you know how we feel reading your stuff Omar. Everyday is a fools day with you….lol

Okay
    I need to get back to work
    Catch up later

Alright, I have a ton of shit to do today, I’ll catch you people later.

I think too many fans are looking past Damien Williams as our #2 back. His ability to catch the ball is going to get him on the field a lot. I know that Hickey and the coaches like him.

Who’s Damien Williams?

I like Williams
      and I am guilty of looking past him
      But I think there is room for Miller, Williams and a big back like a Karlos Williams or a Tyler Varga – yes that is your stomach tunring

williams tunred into quite a find last year
      I do not question he will be part of the active roster in 2015

but what happens after williams
      Gillesslee? Some one else
      A day 3 rookie is not a bad option to add the the bunch

It’s funny Miller is 5-10 224 and Williams is 5-11 221 and we act like they’re small backs. Gillislee is 5-11 216 and James is 5-9 195.

I understand Miller isn’t an overpowering runner but he ran with more authority last year. We haven’t seen enough of Williams as a runner to determine his upside. The same with Gillislee.

James Walker ✔ @JamesWalkerNFL
    #Hurricanes WR Phillip Dorsett just wowed the crowd with his 40-yard dash. Times are unofficial at this point, but it may have been sub-4.3.

James Walker ✔ @JamesWalkerNFL
    #Hurricanes LB Denzel Perryman just pulled up during 40-yard dash and couldn’t finish the run. He’s limping a bit, trying to walk it off.

32. Al in MIA says:

—-
    DORSETT BABY!

33. Son: I would like to see you run over some of them 😛

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly
    Phillip Dorsett’s fasted recorded time at today’s UM Pro day was a 4.25. He’s clearly in the high 4.2s.
    _________________________________
    Hope we can trade down, pick up an extra 2nd & lets get both Dorsett & Perriman…WR corp set for many years with Stills & Landry as well. 🙂

#Look Out Pats!

35. Al in MIA says:

Miami Hurricanes retweeted
    Hurricanes Football @CanesFootball · 2h 2 hours ago

All 32 NFL Teams have representatives at #ProDayAtTheU

OD,
    Thanks for another great article!

Tim, That was a hilarious April Fools joke.

37. James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL
    I’m at the Miami #Hurricanes football facility where its National Championships are on full display. #ProDay pic.twitter.com/JdscN3mYiy

38. Al in MIA says:

Everyone from the Fins front office seems to be there…
    Tannenbaum, Hickey, the assistant GM, a couple coaches, etc.

Gigi, okay I went and saw that. Not sure what started that but it’s silly and unfortunate.

Nice to see the Canes pro day get so much interest. I’d like to see some of that great recruiting transfer to the field though.

New Age, when you first saw my post, did you buy it?

Gigi, I was in the NYC and I had to walk outside from a bar and squat against a wall because I felt like I was leaving my body. I never felt anything like that before.

I’m a few hits type as well.

• OMG!! I was at home and my guy was standing there only I saw like 3 of him moving and blurry and my mouth was completely dry like I was in the desert. He told me to take a shower and I could not even stand up. I finally chewed some gum and drank some water and it helped but was up until 4-5 am and went to work at 8 – scary!! He has the card here for it because he was in a bad accident a few years back always in pain so for him he can smoke like a chimney and it does not have the same effect. I prefer just a little and then chill. 🙂

Tim, a part of me did. Since Ireland has left, our trades haven’t been quite as strong as before he left. It seemed like we weren’t getting quite fair compensation and hit all the points that our top brass have been insinuating. The needs for more picks, interest in CBs,etc.

If it wasn’t April 1, I would have totally fallen for it.

Piggy you could do the draft as a running poll
    Today #1
    Tomorrow #2
    Etc.Etc.

That would definitely take them off the board!

45. Try Pod says:

The only thing that bothers me about any of that is now I am lumped together with the closet dumper as equally disdained, and that’s just not right. I prefer being a “whiny vaginy”, as the alternative seems to be bloviation to compensate for an appendage inadequacy.

???

Try
      I think I caught the middle of this convo and I am lost

What are you talking about?

• Try Pod says:

If I talk about it it only brings more attention to those who obviously don’t feel they get enough as it is. Needless to say, I don’t really care, I don’t go to any other Dolphin-focused websites and people are free to talk about me in any way they want- I will not threaten them or call them names if they say something I don’t agree with.

it sounds like the bengals are interested in wafford

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly · 39m 39 minutes ago
    Lamar Miller told me he’s 225 now. He played at 218 last year. Bulking up.

BrianCat ‏@BrianCat13 · 22m22 minutes ago
    Would the Eagles trade G Evan Mathis and CB Brandon Boykin for our 4th? Dolphins could then go LB and WR in first 2 RDs.

Interesting??????????

Wy

That is a great idea

What do you guys think of doing a mock draft Poll

For instance

on 4/2/15 we have a polle that says
    with the 1st oick the TB Bucs select
    and then give 5 realistic options

50. James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL
    Hurricanes RB Duke Johnson said “it would be fun” to team up w/teammate Lamar Miller in the #Dolphins’ backfield. Your thoughts, MIA tweeps?

Would be too very good RBs

but I don;t want to spend the 2nd round pick it will take to bring in Duke Johnson on a RB

Wyo, that is a really good idea.

See side panel guys

The only issue with that is you’re limiting choices.

true

But it would be craxy with too many choices

What is the right amount of choices?

I figure we can use a national site as a base
        I litterrly used the top 6 guys in CBS

So we can use the top 6 from CBS of whomever is left
        or maybe mroe than 6 – like 10?

• jahndoh says:

Do you update the choices as players come off the board? Sounds logistically nightmarish, or…you end up with 5 players and only 1 is actually available.

Now I see Trypod
    For what its worth, I think you are the Oinks!

The concern on this site is to be the best we can be
    and your input and partipation is a part of that!

we need a back that can get the 1 yard for the 1st down. Specially if they move the 2 point conversion line to 1 yard line or 1.5 yard line like they’re thinking about doing.

55. jahndoh says:

There you go Trypod. Let it go. Let the children play.

Piggy, I’m not sure how to do it but you can’t have limited choices.

• jahndoh says:

I think he can, but it has to be players that are actually as yet undrafted. If you do a mock like that he’ll have to update the poll every selection based on team needs, and what players are left with grades that are at least within the realm of possibility for the given slot. IE..you wouldn’t put Varga in as a choice for the 1st round.

57. jahndoh says:

Alex Marvez and Bill Polian yesterday on Sirius was pure radio football gold. Polian recounted the Ryan Leaf vs. Peyton Manning decision, and he also recounted the Ricky Williams vs. Edgerrin James decision.

Something that stood out to me was that he chose James rather than Ricky after trading Faulk to the Rams because there were some off-field red-flags with Ricky and James was the kind of back they needed in their system which was: “Extremely explosive to the hole at the point of attack, which was required because (their) OL was small, fast and athletic.”

I wondered to myself if that’s the kind of runner Lamar Miller is? Because I think we run a similar system.

• jahndoh says:

He also said that he got death threats after drafting James because none of the public really saw him play that year because only one Miami’s games was televised (vs. UCLA, my wife’s Junior year. Miami killed our national championship hopes in a game that was rescheduled due to a hurricane!) since Miami was on probation.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I liked ricky more than james as a runner.

• jahndoh says:

Yeah, but if the question is: Who did better with their draft selection; New Orleans or Indianapolis, it was hands down Indy.

Ricky redeemed himself later in his career, but from the Saints perspective he was a bust.

• jahndoh says:

I also liked his running style better than James’ fwiw. But Polian saw something in both Manning (vs. Leaf) and James (vs. Williams) that showed why he’d become an HOFer one day. IMHO…

58. jahndoh says:

PS, I lost a post Boulder, but you got me thinking above “is short yardage specialist” about to become much more valuable?

Hey Jahn – What’s happening man?

60. Try Pod says:

Obviously the opinions of those here mean more to me than those from a site I have nothing to do with.

• New Age says:

Glad you are here Trypod. We need a least one 3 legged man on this site.

OK, I just went over to the other site to see what all the talk is about. I find it best to ignore what’s said over there. I also wish we’d pay less attention to whatever goes on over there, which I’m guilty of doing myself. I actually stopped by there and posted a bit, just to see what those guys thought about Suh, and it wasn’t good. I know now to leave them alone to their own thing, and that’s fine. I made a mistake going there, and I won’t bother doing that again.

Try – I think you’re a fine person, and I’m pleased to have you here as a friend.

I would love to do that mock draft. We could base it off projected needs of the team and then list the top overall p;icks that fit in that range. TB is probably a pretty safe lock in reality but there are different ways they could go. Let’s do this!

LOL. My thoughts exactly

Brian DeRemer @BrianDeRemer
    @ArmandoSalguero “Please, Lord Jesus, not Dallas Thomas”. = Best Ever!

James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL · 14m14 minutes ago
    #Hurricanes LB Denzel Perryman said he measured at 5-11, 239 pounds and did 30 reps of 225 pounds for today’s pro day.

He’s a powerful dude. I like him, but not sure if he fits when we pick. I kinda see him as a late 2nd RD, early 3rd RD pick, but as we saw with James, if they have conviction about a player, they’ll take him when they want to take him.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout · 6m6 minutes ago
    South Carolina RB Mike Davis had a great showing today. Unofficial 4.38 in the 40. Patient RB with excellent hands and vision.

Didn’t know he was that fast?

why would we want boykin? I thought we already signed a slot CB from steelers.

“While Boykin has been superb in the slot for the Eagles, there’s a feeling he may not be satisfied by a part-time role. Boykin is entering the final year of his rookie contract, and if another team is willing to give him a chance to start, there’s no way he’s returning to Philly.”

Jahn, limiting the draft options leaves it up to Piggy to choose who would likely be next up so it wouldn’t represent how the actual draft operates.

• jahndoh says:

Not sure we’re thinking the same way about this. Within reason, the poll could have lots of options. There’s rarely more than a handful of players who could realisitically be drafted at a given slot. Most teams build their draftboards just this way. When it’s the Fins turn at 14 there will likely only be 1-3 names on the board that are possible. If Piggy gives a solid 6-8 options it would more than cover all the possibilities.

Like I said, certain things are obvious. Using a standard draftsight for player rankings would get us close enough. Think about it, this is a fan mock draft, NONE of them are going to approximate reality.

I think we should just do a LIVE draft, we’ll pick a time, and we’ll get it done.

What happened to Jahn? I just checked, there was no earthquake. lol

The top player in the draft is Leonard Williams but QBs always rule the day.

70. jahndoh says:

Here I am Mike. Good to read you guys. I’ve been traveling and am mad busy right now in my life. In fact, this is me signing off for a couple of hours.

Cheers!

Ya!
    And I want the option to pick Varga @14!!!!!!!!!!!

Put up a poll to see what poll we can use to get a poll for a Big Board for a POLL!

73. jetsssuck says:

did you guys get a chance to read any of Bob Griese’s recalculation of the perfect season book…. In one section he talked about speed as in the drug and how widely it was used before games. Several years before the perfect season the San Diego Chargers were fined heavily for supplying speed to its players.

Miami Hurricanes reached the NIT finals—-Gigi must be happy,good for her…..

Jahn and Tim and anyone else

It would work like this
    I put up a poll with the first pick like I did above with 6 choices

It’s stays up for a fixed period of time
    I don’t want to say a full day
    But a few hours – whenever I’m around work comp and remember.,.lol
    Whenever it gets stale or whatever

The first player is off he board
    New poll up – next 6 guys are up
    Then we keep doing that for a couple weeks until we get through the first round

Make sense?

One poll at a time
    Once a majority picks for a team he is off the Board and next 6 highest prospects are options for next team

We can do a new poll every day or it will take through the draft
    But we can probably do 2-3 a day

Until my trotters fall off

***
    That is why I would use cbs.sportsline ranking to set the options

For instance
    The 6 options above are literally their top 6 prospects
    1 goes of the board and we go to the next one

I promise it won’t all be samurais…lol

Lmao @ WY obsession with poles…

This is for you

77. Try Pod says:

Thanks to you all. I am not mad, or hurt about any of it. For a long time, I felt there were factions developing that were causing a strain in the way we interacted with each other. Some felt it was perfectly ok to make some extreme statements and get all butt-hurt when challenged on it, like someone was attacking them for their attack. People are free to believe what they want. If they want to connect dots that most don’t and believe they are more aware or more attuned, ok. it is as it has always been- birds of a feather. If they only want like-minded, then they have their echo chamber. Interesting how this correlates with our non-Dolphin discussions of yesterday though, for any who remember.

I’m pretty sure there is a yin and yang to every environment

There will be disagreements here
      There will be different points of view

It happens
      It’s impossible to surround yourself with people who are just like you

I’m going to make an effort to be respectful to everyone else here
      And I’m going to make an effort to be respectful to people that aren’t here too
      Not necessarily for their sake
      But out of respect to people who want to maintain all those relationships

That is just the way I’m handling
      But to each their own
      These aren’t rules just my opinion

78. twicethethe says:

As far as the polls go, I think there’s an option to create an ‘Other” write-in choice for each poll. That might satisfy those who want to choose a player other than the handful of choices Piggy puts up for each…

79. Al in MIA says:

lol Piggy at pole vault photo.

The first time we tried to do a mock on a website was on TNDolfans blog

Do any of you remember?

We should give him credit for his idea

Last year we tried it on Exoduss and it was fun

Boulder as I recall you made a spread sheet or something right?

81. Al in MIA says:

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout now3 seconds ago

UConn WR Geremy Davis didn’t drop one pass in 2014? Guess I’m spending my afternoon watching him.
    —-
    Man, I’m just looking at his profile and wondered, jeez, how come he wasn’t discussed here? 6′-2 3/8″, 216 lbs, and 3-cone time that’s under 6.90 sec?

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout · 23s24 seconds ago
    Welp…I had James Sample graded way too low at mid-season. His closing speed is much better than I noted previously. Moving him way up

Shit!
    There goes another late rounder moving up!

The write in vote will specifically say “no OL”

😉

FYI
    We have 10 votes so far
    So get your vote in if you haven’t yet

Piggy, we did live drafts on the SS. I know we did them on Tin’s site.

86. How many years has it been that we “have” to draft a fat guy/OL high cause we can never get a decent group??? It seems like forever because we have not had a decent OL since Richmond Webb & Keith Sims were here.

• Brian in NY says:

Yup. I’ve actually been thinking about writing an article about that Gigi.

Circumstances change. Jake Long getting injured so often and then bullygate blew our entire OL apart in just 2 years.

Jake Long is currently a FA.

87. Al in MIA says:

Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL now5 seconds ago

Pro day: Louisiana A&M QB Beaux Fadees out here throwing lasers.

Just got back – What are we voting for?

Al,
    I did bring up Geremy Davis a couple weeks ago….but no one really replied except for Ken. I asked him if he saw him in any UConn games, which he said no.
    I saw what Matt Miller saw and was like, damn…this kid may have been the lone bright spot on a shit team in 2014.

I’ve been advocating for us to go take a Wiz for awhile, I think Dbolt and another have as well. I too figured he could move to OG/LG. He’s in the mold of a nice ZBS OL. Still very young, but maybe Hickey’s thinking his price is too high still.
    C’mon Hickster, call him in for a looksie!

Free agent C Stefen Wisniewski visited with the Patriots this week.
    Recovering from offseason shoulder surgery, Wisniewski has met with multiple teams but remains on the open market. He could have to settle for less than the $4M annually he’s reportedly seeking. With Bryan Stork entrenched at center, Wisniewski would likely move to guard in New England. The Bucs, Seattle, and the Bears have also been linked to Wisniewski.

I’m going to mark Jameis winston as the first pick and put up a poll for the 2nd pick

Any objections?

GDP

You can take a wiz whenever you like. You don’t need us. lol

D

Is Grape Ape a monkey though? I don’t think apes qualify as monkeys. I’ll let you go if you REALLY like Grape Ape though. lol

Suggestion, if your doing the draft this way give an option for other that allows us to write in a vote. There may be teams we thing will be trading, or even “reaching” for a player that might not be listed.

I have seen Tyler Farga mached to us soooo many times on here even by me several times he is starting to get the aura of a “fan favorite” . That being said so many of us have picked him he will never be drafted by us! LOL

I have to fly to Irvine California Next Tuesday night for a meeting on Wednesday.

I think we should run a draft too where we assign certain teams to people involved and we pick for them. We’ve done this before i think. To me seems flexible than the poll method.

98. jetsssuck says:

kid rock has done it again. U no he is a insulin dependent diabetic;

I didn’t know that…so he’s type 1?
      I wonder if he also got hepatitis C from Pamela?

• jetsssuck says:

I guess you can call it type 1.I’m also insulin dependent but I got it later in my 30’s. From my understanding type 1 was if you were diagnosed in childhood. Type 2 is just taking pills. From the diabetes world summit last week I understand their is a type 3 diabetic involving intestines.

• jetsssuck says:

being a diabetic lowers your immune system to fight off disease’s.

Yikes, that sounds scary, the type 3….but so is type 1.
        I’m a lil familiar with type 1 & 2 due to having worked in health & life Ins before. The medical underwriting with a lot of Insurers gets real jittery when diabetes is involved, especially if accompanied by heart problems, which it does eventually lead to in a lot of patients unfortunately.

Hang in there and take good care of yourself brother!

• jetsssuck says:

i’ve cheated death several times from diabetes. Open heart 4x bypass with mitral valve replacement about 10-11 years ago.then a brain stem stroke 2 yrs and 4 months ago. Recently I got very sick from this website because I got infection in elbow that was as big as a softball. I had to have surgery and stayed in hospital for 4-5 days. I learned not to place my elbows on table when blogging.

• twicethethe says:

Holy Cow jetssuck – that’s some serious blogging dedication. Have always appreciated your contributions to the site.

• jetsssuck says:

I blog with a total of 3 sites not only this site.

JETSSUCK; My brother-in-law, Jim, has been self injecting himself for diabetes for about 40 years. He has only missed 3 home Dolphin games IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE FRANCHISE going back to 1966!!
    ————
    SON-OF-A-SON; Saw your response earlier today RE: Florida Atlantic’s 11-5 thumping of 6th ranked UCF at Bergman Field last night in Orlando. That’s TWO Top 10 teams the Owls have beaten on the road this season. NEXT UP FOR FAU: 3 games in Boca Raton against HERD’s Marshall baseball team. Hope the Herd likes to play in 85 degree temps b/c it’s going to be a tad hotter by week’s end. Next Tuesday FAU goes on the road to play the Miami Hurricanes in Coral Gables in another showdown between two ranked teams. It OUGHT TO BE A DILLY!!–SON, by the way, did you know that UCF has scored MORE RUNS this season than any other Division I baseball team? –The Knights get another shot at FAU in early May.

Jetssuck, WOW, see, I knew diabetes usually comes with many troubles in due time….Thank God you have weathered them all my friend…hang tough & God Bless!

Is this a hint that the Phins may draft him?

ESPN NFL Nation’s James Walker reports that Miami TE Clive Walford plans to meet with the Steelers’ brass on Wednesday “and will meet with the Dolphins and other teams before the draft.”
    The Miami prospect flashes decent athletic traits with the ability to be effective in both, the running game and the passing game. As as pass catcher, Walford has recorded 121 receptions and 14 touchdowns in his time with the Hurricanes. The 6-foot-4, 258-pounder will be targeted by teams looking for a versatile pass catching TE who isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty blocking. Walford has the kind of skill set that should cause mismatches in the red-zone, and should be off the board in the second round of the draft.

What’s up FUers? Rough day. I am sick, my wife is sick, I got a speeding ticket and a real good guy at the office who is set to retire in June has a heart attack in court today.

April Fools I hope????

My sincerest sympathies, Ken. I wish a speedy recovery to you, your wife, and, especially, your office co-worker. When your friend is out of danger, go visit him and put on your HULK suit and tell him you’re going to give him the strength of HULK!!! – – Also, an airline ticket to south Florida might put him in a better frame of mind.

All the guy wants to do is go fly fishing. He could have had his papers in already and been out of the all the stress. My goal is when I hit 65 to be done. Not sure if it is feasible but that’s my goal. I like my profession but I don’t feel the need to be a slave to it.

OD:
    Great job once again. You are the official site historian.

The Poll for the #2 pick is up
    Go ahead and vote

Tomorrow int he Wedge report at the end there will be an explantion of how the poll mick draft will work

Damn Piggy! I love the Irish! Tone that sh*t down bro! lol

PIGGY: DO my eyes deceive me OR does that poll indicate who the TITANS are going to pick??–And WHEN do we get to predict who MIAMI will pick??

Ken, that sucks….sorry to hear. Hope everyone is back to normal soon!

Ken

Feel better brother, and your family as well. Also, best wishes to your colleague

I recommend everyone go to miamidolphins.com and watch the interviews with Joe Philbin. You get an excellent insight into his football knowledge. He may make some weird expressions and he’s not a in your face type of guy, but he knows the game really well.

Sorry to hear that Ken!

I don’t see a TE even close to being drafted by the Fins!

OD

your eyes do not deceive you

When we get throught he first 13 picks, we will do the Dolphins pick
    We are on pick #2
    We did pick 1 and Jameis winston was the pick

we will be changing the polls up whenver I have a few minutes
    I will leave them up for a few hours at least

The Dolphins will be stuck selecting what is left after the firast 13 are off our boards

If your curious about Tennessee!

MOCK draft

Damn trotters making me a racist

What’s odd is that “other” doesn;t show sho was written in

GDP:
    I am down with Blake Bell. I would not mind that in round 5 or 6

GDP:
    You seem to have an eye for Oklahoma players? You have any affiliation with OSU?

Disappointing about Dres!

Draft Prospecting: Utah Utes

The more I think about it the more I can see us taking a TE in the draft. Cameron is a hit away from being done, Sims has flashed but is unproven as a starter and Lynch is untested.

121. twicethethe says:

Piggy – I just looked into that. Apparently the specific results will not show for “Others”; they’re only viewable if you go into the Admin settings and view the poll results. Which is ridiculously stupid of PollDaddy and makes the option pretty useless to the voters. Thanks, PollDaddy. But at least you can see the write-in results in the Admin settings for the poll. So that’s something.

Ken, None at all, just coincidence these days…lol
    Maybe Hickey could hire me to scout that region 😉

My brother got his PHD there. I have been out a few times for games there and it is a blast. I do tend to follow OSU more than some other schools. I got a chance to see Bradford play live, DeMarco Murray, Kenny Stills and Brian Broyles play live to name a few.

123. twicethethe says:

Ken – sorry to hear about your colleague and everything else going on.

124. twicethethe says:

OD – forgot to mention great history lesson as always.

125. jahndoh says:

Piggy, have you done the quick math on leaving every poll up for a couple hours? If you’re not planning on working all night it’s going to take days to get through the first round.

126. jahndoh says:

+ vibes Ken to your colleague, and get well to you and yours.

Ken, sorry to hear about the sickness and your colleague. I wish all of you well.

Philbin also has a good feel for where this team has been struggling. He’s very open and informative on matters of football. Contracts and why players were released, traded etc. are standard answers which we already knew. He’s not going to knock a player on the way out.

Silly reporters. Learn your subject already. LOL

Ken
    Sorry about your colleague

this profession is a rough one

130. jahndoh says:

I think I’m the last surfer remaining here, but for those who don’t know, Slater’s dominance in the sport of surfing rivaled or surpassed the most dominant athletes in ANY sport in recorded history.

In other words, in any context, Slater is one of the greatest champions who’s ever lived.

If this is an April Fools joke, lots of folks (myself included) are getting burned. But if it’s not, he deserves a mention from me for his incredible accomplishments. I met him on the beach about a year ago. We had just scored great waves and then the wind turned bad. He was hangin’ with his super hot GF and taking practice swings with his golf club. I told him I was marking down the day I scooped Slater on all the good waves. 🙂

Congrats Kelly! Best of luck getting one last win at Bells Beach!

• BoulderPhinfan says:

he’s the shit. You’re right. Kelly slater dominated surfing more than any other athlete ever dominating the sport. he’ll be missed.

BTW did you know that kelly slater left florida when he was very young and lived with Jack Johnson (the musician) growing up in the north shore of Oahu?
      They’re best friends. One became a world class surfer the other world class musician.

Yeah. What was I thinking when I was 22?

Ken that’s awesome you get to go see players in the Big 12 play.

ken,
    Sorry to hear about your colleague. That sucks. I hope everything turns out ok.

Thank you as do I. It sucks so close to retirement and then a heart attack. Hopefully everything is okay and it just expedites the process of him getting out of the office.

Twice

Good to see ya on man! Long time no see. I’m running around today, I can’t stay still

UConn CB Byron Jones ran 4.4- and 4.40-second 40-yard dashes at UConn’s pro day, according to NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt.
    CBS Sports’ Dane Brugler had him at 4.36 seconds. Either way, it was another impressive showing from the Huskies’ riser. “Jones worked out well at the pro day, catching the ball really well,” Brandt wrote. “He is really good in press coverage. Above all, Jones is described as an outstanding person; he had served as a team captain and was a leader on the field and in the locker room.”

136. jahndoh says:

Boulder,

I did know that. I went to college with Jack at UCSB and surfed with him in the late 90s. True story. He was going to shine college and pursue a professional surfing career. He had already applied at several colleges including UCSB (a well reputed school with well reputed surf) when he decided this. One giant day at Backdoor he took a nasty fall that almost killed him. He decided to go to college instead.

“I was eatin’ lunch at the DLG when this little girl came and she sat next to me…” Was a reference to the De La Guerra commons, a dorm cafeteria at UCSB where he met his wife Kim.

Alright I am going to load up on Nyquill and Tylenol PM. Sleepy time here I come. Peace to you all.

Later Ken

Later Haters

G’nite Ken – Feel better!

When in nickel and dime 70% of the time with 3-4 wide why not? Base defense is old school. Most teams spread you out on 2nd and 3rd and long.

• jahndoh says:

Where’d you get that stat. I seriously doubt we’re in nickel or dime 70% of the time.

60% I believe though…

#3 will be up soon. Leonard Williams will be the 2nd pick for the Titans. Ken Wisenhunt likes their young QB in Zach Mettenberger – a big, strong armed guy with upside.

That doesn’t mean they won’t entertain offers for teams who may want to move up. But in our mock let’s move along. LOL

• jahndoh says:

Well knowitall:
      Gil Brandt historically knows better than anybody alive about who the top picks are and where they’re going, and I heard him predict he was going 2nd overall (with a note of certainty in his voice) just last week.

J/k on the knowitall thing, I know you voted for that guy you think is the best player in the draft over that guy you think is the 2nd biggest risk in the draft so I figured I’d BB a little bit.

Some of you blind MFers on Mariota are going to have a rude awakening if he ends up on the Jets. Mark these words. 😛

It’s not an exact science. Don’t get defensive about it.

I listened to a radio discussion about Mariota and then I watched his last 2 games. I got what they were saying. He threw a lot of easy screens and ran option runs. He may be another Tannehill but I think Ryan has a better arm.

• jahndoh says:

Note the BB, the JK and the smiley face. Not sure how that gets spun into defensive.

I was going on the offense. Uou pimped your guy, I spoke up for the other one. No biggie.

I guess I lured the wrath of Jahn. LOL

Jahn, when Coyle first got here and was asked about the 3-4 to a 4-3 defensive conversion, he said (I’m paraphrasing): when I watched all the film of the team, not once but twice, they were in base defense about 28-29% of the time.

I have pointed this out for years. This is nothing new nor did I make it up.

Philbin hired Coyle because he wanted a DC who knew coverage concepts.

• jahndoh says:

How is that question my “wrath”? I’ll solve you some problem Tim, you can’t spin anythign I have to say as defensive or “wrath” if I don’t say anything else. LOL..

OUT! LMAO!!!

Oy! Jahn, I guess I forgot the smiley face. Why does blogging have to be so difficult? 😉