Wedge Scouting Report: Jordan Hicks

2JordanHicks2Wedge ID

Whommmmmmmm….Whommmmmmmmmm….Whommmmmmmmmmmmm.  That’s my impression of a rabid longhorn bull.  I’m  guessing that is what Texas Linebacker Jordan Hicks sounds like.  Or maybe its the sound of an opposing carriers collapsing kidneys after he hits them.  Whommmmmmmmmmmm!

JordanHicks1

At 6’1, 238 pounds, Hicks is not the biggest linebacker in the NFL draft, but he might be one of the most ferocious.

Whommmmmmmmmmm…Whommmmmmmmmm….Whommmmmmmmmmm.  The Texas Linebacker played inside and outside in his college career.  He rarely left the field in his Senior year tallying just under 150 tackles.

JordanHicks3

Hicks also had two interceptions, 7 pass break ups and 3.5 sacks.  Hicks is one of the better linebackers in coverage available in this draft and those numbers speak for themselves.  He struggled a little with injuries.  He only played 4 games in 2013 and 3 games in 2012.  But he came back with a vengance in 2014 playing every game for the Longhorns.

JordanHicks4

Hicks finished his college careers with just under 300 tackles.  Then it was off to the combine where he ran a 4.68 40.  Although the 40 time was not so impressive his split time of 1.53 was.  Honestly do you really care how fast your linebacker runs 40 yards, the short distance is a lot more important.  Hicks’ time in the three cone drill was by far his most impressive.  His time was the 13th best mark among linebackers since 2006.  So you know the lateral agility is there.

JordanHicks5

Some scouts criticize Hicks instincts and while they aren’t on the level of Perryman or Kendricks, he appears to have pretty good instincts on tape.  However, what really jumps out about Hicks is his patience.  This guy has excellent discipline and would be a huge asset playing behind playmakers like Suh and Wake.  When Hicks picks his spot, he zeroes in and Whommmmmmmm….Whommmmmmmm….Whommmmmmmm

JordanHicks6

If I was going to compare Hicks to an Alien Weapon of Destruction I would compare this focused linebacker to a Hip Pocket Laser Pistol.  Whommmmmmm….Whommmmmmm…Whommmmmmm

HicksLaserGun

Watch Some Jordan Hicks Highlights

*******************************************************************************

Big-Tooth-Pig2-798260

Whats up Oinkeroos!!!

Piggy here for annoucnment time.  Look how excited I am!  We will be doing a mock draft via poll voting for the next coupel of weeks.  Here is how it works.  Every few hours (whenever I have a moment) a new poll will go up.  The Poll will have an option of 7 propsects who are “still on the board”.  The first 6 will be the 6th highest rated players according to http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

The 7th is a write in option. If a player gets the majority he is off the board.  We already started and Jameis Winston is the #1 pick of the draft – which seems consistent with the what most the experts think.

We will plan to organize a live mock draft too. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Poll Mock Draft Update:
Tampa – Jameis Winston; Tenn – Leonard Williams; Jax – Dante Fowler, Jr.; Oak  – Kevin White; Wash – Vic Beasley; NYJ – Marcus Mariota

The Jests selected QB Marcus Mariota,  My condolences to the Mariota family.

The Bears are on the clock

2 QBs have been added to the list:  Petty and Hundley, b/c sometimes teams reach for QBs

They will continue to be an option through the first round, unless some one selects them

This entry was posted in SCOUTING REPORTS. Bookmark the permalink.

382 Responses to Wedge Scouting Report: Jordan Hicks

When Lamar Miller went back and watched film from last season, he saw flaws.

He didn’t break enough tackles, so he put on seven pounds of muscle in the UM weight room to get up to 225 pounds.

And he didn’t catch enough passes (38 in 2014, with six drops).

So Miller has spent the offseason in front of the Jugs football-passing machine. He has worked on technique with standout wide receiver Andre Johnson, who’s now a member of the Indianapolis Colts.

On Tuesday, Jarvis Landry, Rishard Matthews & Lamar Miller were part of a group that caught passes from Tannehill.

GREAT TO HEAR! I think it is great Tannehill is working with his pass catchers already this offseason! Tannehill, Landry, Matthews & Miller = Veteran leadership!

• Brian in NY says:

He’s really worked on his game the last few years. You could see him grow as a RB, particulary in the blocking and pass catching areas. I’ve also noticed improvement in his ability to squeeze through a small hole, something he didn’t do particulary well his first few years in the league. Paired with Todd Gurley, we could have the best RB combination in the league in a few years.

Yeah, wasn’t he working with Frank Gore and other UM alums last offseason too? I hope he stays healthy this year and we utilize him more than 12 carries per game….

He only played 4 games in 2013 and 3 games in 2012. But he came back with a vengeance in 2014 playing every game for the Longhorns.
    Man, that stat concerns me. Only healthy for 7 games in two years in college and undersized to begin with? How will he hold up against players who are bigger & stronger than anyone he faced in college? I am leaning towards pass……

Besides I want McKinney!

Bigger, faster, stronger.

That’s what the next several months will be all about for Dolphins offensive lineman Billy Turner.

“I’m ready to step into any position that’s going to be available on the offensive line next year,” Turner said, “and I’m going to be working all offseason with that as my goal.”

The physical skills are obvious, which is why Turner is one of those players who could end up making a big jump between his first and second seasons.

Ahhhhh the offseason. The season of hope…..

5. dcoralsprings says:

Phillip Dorsett had a great pro day yesterday
    He may very well have moved into 2nd round
    Very happy for him, but maybe out of reach for us

I like Hicks
    If we pick up a true ILB earlier he would be a great pick up in the 6th or UDFA (I don’t think he makes it that far)

He can play OLB too

One of my favorites in this draft
      He can play

Thank Al for pointing him out to me/this blog

I like Hicks also, but I think he’s a 4th or 5th RD pick. Time will tell. He’s a solid, steady player.

I think he is a 4th or 5th too

which is great b/c we have 3 picks int he 4th and 5th round
      CBS has Hicks rated 131 overall , They have Ben Heeney at 128, Hull at 137; Geneo Grisson at 158, Bryce Hager at 162 and Ramik Wilson at 149

We have picks #114 (4th round), 149 & 150 (5th round)
      and a need at LB
      I think we are int he mix for all these guys

a lot of them can play inside and outside

Dcoral

I doubt Dorsett moved up any. Everyone knew he was fast already. I think Perriman really benifited from his pro day, because he didn’t run at the combine, and his sub 4.3 speed was a shocker. Dorsett is likely a 2nd -3rd RD pick.

Squiggly Piggly

Nice job on the Jordan Hicks report.

Piggy

Still hoping for a Hull and Tull draft? 🙂

I will Mull that over

That is the type of draft that would make my heart Full

its is certainly not Dull

It makes me feel like Bull

Those should be our LBs if I have any Pull

The worst movie I ever saw was Krull

New Poll up
    With the 3rd pick of the 2015 draft the Jaguars select ____________

so far Jameis Winston and Leonard Williams are off the baord
    and that actually sounds right to me
    but I think its gets sticky when you get into the pass rushers
    theis is where thatn run of pass rushers begins

I think I am going to expand the options to 10 options

Gotta say, as corny as it was, I loved Krull. Loved the cyclops dude.

There are now 10 options & other available in the poll
    I think things get a little less clear after the first couple of picks so now there are more options

Seems like Omar wants us to take Gurley with the #14 pick, if we can’t move back.

All of the sudden Gurley has become the fashionable talk

I may have missed something – but I am under the impression that there are still a lot of unknowns in terms of his recovery from injury

CBS now has him at #18 overall prospect (ahead of Gordon)
      So I am guessing there is some reason to beleive his recovery is going well b/c in the mind of many he appears back on track to being a 1st round prospect

FYI Paysinger is not a draft prospect
      He is an FA LB who was last with the Ginats
      He was on Oregon a few years ago
      and was an UDFA in 2011

Sounds like a guy we bring into TC and give him a shot to compete
      Maybe the kind of guy that can provide depth and be a factor on ST

I was watching NFLN yesterday, and Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah were talking about Gurley. Apparently, Gurley must have been given good news about his knee, because Jeremiah was saying that he has now moved Gurley ahead of Gordon due the good news on Gurley’s knee. Davis has always had Gurley ahead of Gordon.

Gurley is all of the sudden a big mover on draft boards

Dude has good timing
      there is nothing like becoming a hot commodity in April

I wonder if he can shoot into the top 10

Raiders at #4?

Its really possible Mike

Honestly, If I was the Raiders GM and I was confident his recovery was going well – I would take Gurley

Ordinarily I don;t like the pick
    but the slump that team is in for the last decasde
    they need to take a big risk and hope its a big reward

I bet the Raiders have monitored him given their early pick inthe 2nd
    I would think all the top 10 teams considered him with their 2nd round pick b/c that is wwhere he is likely to go

So its not too crazy for one of those teams to see a guy getting hyped up that they previously fell in love with
    then he goes from 2nd rounder to top 10 pick all of the sudden

I guess I am going to have to throw Gurley int he wildcard file along with DGB, Perriman, Alvin Dupree, Randy Gregory and Mariota –
    guys I think can shake things up

I don’t think Dupree is a WC, I think he’s a legit top 15 pick. Gurley w/o medical questions is too. Gregory definitely is, and I have a feeling he stays top 15. DGB I think goes 2nd RD, or maybe the end of the 1st.

legit top 15 yes
      but can they push into the top 10 or even top 5
      Gregory might be the highest rated pass rusher on some one board

The Jaguars could have a bad ass defense this year. That team isn’t going to be a bad team for very long.

Why, because they got Odrick? lol

They look pretty solid. Secondary doesn’t look especially good though, but the front 7 look good.

LOL, no because they can add Dante Fowler to the mix and all good defenses start up front. Chris Clemons is 33 so Fowler can be groomed to replace him.

Gotcha. Fowler and Alualu is a nice combo.

Mike E, the Jags have some other good DL too. They had 45 sacks last year.

The Jagaaurs adding a pass rusher makes a lot of sense
    Also they could look OL or add Bortles weapons

But I think a pass rusher is the way to go for them to help them build that defense up

Agreed. They can add OL and weapons for Bortles in other rounds. They also already have some good young weapons in D. Robinson, A. Robinson, Hurns, Lee and Thomas.

Our first pick will tell a lot about our team. If it’s a WR, it will be obvious they really want that big WR to mix in with Stills and Landry. If it’s an OT, it will tell you they’re a little worried about Albert, and are making sure they’re covered. If it’s an OG, it will tell us that Dallas Thomas is viewed strictly as depth. If it’s a LB, especially a MLB, it means Misi is moving back to SLB. If it’s an OLB, that means Misi is likely staying out at MLB. If it’s a CB, that means they have little faith in either Taylor or Davis.

25. Great job Piggy!!!

Rock: Lamar Miller did indeed workout with Frank Gore last offseason. I’m partial to him cause he is a UM alum, I met him a few times, he improved last year and I expect him to do so this year.

26. CaliGigi says:

27. Al in MIA says:

Mike E,

Sometimes market conditions (draft selection process) dictates taking BPA if the player is that much better than the ‘need’ player being targeted.

Having said that, if Randy Gregory somehow slips to 14, it is possible he could be selected by Miami.

28. Al in MIA says:

Pig,
    I just don’t see how a WCO offense team like the Raiders would make such a high investment in a RB. I absolutely love Gurley as a player but a team with so many needs and a position as deep as RB in this draft (and an offense that relies on multiple receiving options on every down), I’d say the Raiders don’t bother with RB in RD 1.

Also RBs don’t carry the value they once did, especially one coming off of a knee injury.

• Al in MIA says:

That too. Coupled with that and that Gurley has less value in a WCO offense than a pro style due to emphasis of the position in the O, I just don’t see it happening at all.

29. Al in MIA says:

I still believe the Jags will go O (WR) with their first pick then D with their second RD pick.
    Their defense is already solid and they need more weapons around Bortles (or protection pieces).
    They can find a DE / DT in RD 2-3 from their position in the round (Danielle Hunter, Jordan Hicks, Eli Harold, Za’darius Smith, Michael Bennett, Gabe Wright, etc).

30. Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 17m17 minutes ago
    New blog…Draft season here: Why tight end is darkhorse need http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2015/04/draft-season-here-why-tight-end-is-darkhorse-need.html

• Al in MIA says:

Unfortunately getting a great OL takes time and 3 drafts. Ireland/Parcells and previous jerks in the FO f’d the franchise pretty badly. Hickey and Benton have done the best they could do I think in the short term.

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I hope thomas takes the path of wade smith.

“Remember Wade Smith? The Dolphins took him in the third round in 2003 and after two forgettable years, he was gone. He ended up not just starting for the Houston Texans, but making the Pro Bowl.”

Al, I’m not even counting Blackmon at WR because of his suspension issues. But Robinson, Hurns and Lee have some good upside.

You think the Jags go Cooper or White?

32. jahndoh says:

Al,

What is a “true #1 WR” to you? I hate that expression. I think people have a million different definitions, and I don’t think coaches look at their offenses that way. I think they try to find a good mix of speed, hands, route running, and size to exploit mismatches on the defense. Is a number 1 your X or your Z? Why? Y?…who’s on first? 😛

Fuckoff! 😛 (jk bro. I was bailing last night anyway. Just typical blog stuff. It sounds different to us then it does to our readers)

What’s up fuckface! LOL

I don’t buy into the #1 WR thing either. I know what people mean by it, like Dez Bryant is the Cowboys #1 WR, but that’s because he’s their best WR.

33. Al in MIA says:

Cooper may not be Julio Jones but remember what the Falcons did coming off a 13-3 season where they got great production from Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez -> they traded up and drafted Julio Jones to increase the receiving talent for Ryan. Harry Douglas role and talent level in that Atlanta offense was no different than Hurns, Lee, & Robinson and they felt the need to upgrade. Though I think Robinson probably has the most talent of all the secondary names I’ve mentioned.

Al

If you’re solid at a particular position, you don’t draft that position with your 1st pick unless the guy there is overwhelmingly better than any other position you need a player for. In other words, say Gregory is there, and we have him rated an 8 out of 10, but Kevin White is there, and we have him rated at 8 as well, you’re taking the WR because it’s a position of need.

Boulder, Wade Smith was a LT for us and he was thrown in there too early as a rookie. He then became a very good guard for the Texans.

36. Al in MIA says:

Jahn,
    LOL….typically the X, someone who can operate on an island without help. Anyway, the Z can do similar things I guess but is usually the motion receiver and lines up off the line. The X usually is isolated on the boundary and must be able to go up against press & zone while not moving pre-snap on the line. To me Hurns/Lee are classic inbetween the 20s guys who have problems in short space when things get physical and defender space is tightened. In Lee’s case, it’s because he’s a body catcher (keeps his elbows in when hauling in). Hurns to some extent likes to body catch.

37. Al in MIA says:

Mike E,
    Well, hate to burst your theory, but the Falcons did just that trading up very high from their original spot to take Julio Jones with Roddy White coming off a 1,400 yard seasons

38. jahndoh says:

can we move on in the draft? Fowler is clearly running away with the #3 pick.

Gigi

That list is impressive for UM
    But what is also impressive is that 3 of the top 6 are the Florida Schools

Al
    I see Gurley as a perfect fit for a WCO
    He is a one cut and go kind of player IMO

Except with all the multiple receiver sets RB is not the focus of the offense.

I was referencing the Raiders not us

I think we are fine with Miller
        So I don;t see Gurley unless he is a 2nd round or later pick

Jahn is eager to vite for the raiders….lol

One more vote and I will post a new poll

The Riadaahs are on the clock

FleeNAH is not an option

Al

There are always exceptions, but BPA doesn’t mean you take the best player at any position, iunless that best player is significantly better than anyone else on the board. With WR, it’s different, you need 2 WR’s minimum on the field at the same time, unless you have a 2 TE set.

I think Miller and Williams are going to be our two main backs. I wasn’t too impressed with Williams early on. I felt he ran kind of reckless though he ran tough. But as the season went on he really impressed me with his receiving skills. If he improves his running with a year under his belt in our system, we’ve got a good combo.

• jahndoh says:

I remembered you saying this, and tbh what you saw as reckless I saw as tenacious. As long as he’s not taking huge losses in the backfield or fumbling, and it’s productive, I don’t get too hung up on form.

He just looked like he was bouncing around and wasn’t decisive. I’d like to see him more decisive which is really what I mean. I expect both he and Miller to catch more passes this year.

• jahndoh says:

Don’t you feel like the “bouncing around” mostly took place in the defensive backfield though? To get to the 2nd level in the first place is where I look for a “decisive” rb. Hitting the initial hole. I feel like everytime I saw him “bounce around” was when he got hit in the 2nd level and managed not to go down on first contact.

Just going off of memory…

• BoulderPhinfan says:

you giving up on DT3 already? LOL

I think the Raiders have to go pass rusher here. They had only 22 sacks last year. They can still get a good WR in the 2nd round at #35.

46. Piggy: In my opinion the State of Florida produces the best and most talented football players as a whole. There is a reason Saban, South Carolina, Mississippi and several schools have a ton of players from Florida.

47. jahndoh says:

This thing sucks. If you all go with an OLB here instead of WR, the value of this mock is useless. I will officially hate the voting method. 🙂

I picked Beasley

Just makes sense for the Raiders
      yeah -so does kevin white or Cooper
      but Beasley is a great athlete and they can use a little more pass rush

• jahndoh says:

Look at the consensus mocks out there. Beasely is a DISTANT 3rd. I submit you all don’t know shit about teams that aren’t in your home market or aren’t called the Dolphins.

(jk/bb! :-P)

I gues Tim and I are the Beasley votes

According to Scout.com the 2016 recruits

Texas – 473
    California – 401
    Florida – 341

That is still good on Florida’s part as they have fewer to choose from!

• jahndoh says:

Whoah! Wyo steppin up to rep his new state!

My high school in Wyoming won the state tile about every 4th year.

I have NEVER seen Fanatical Football Families like they have here in Texas!

It is unreal!

Raiders depth chart for your reference

I take a pass rusher over a WR every time unless like in our case, we have talent and depth there.

• jahndoh says:

You should probably consider the players on merit too don’t ya think? Were the Cowboys replete with pass rush when they took Bryant? How about the Falcons when they selected Julio Jones (hint, Abraham was on his way out the door). Detroit when they took Calvin Johnson?

(I’m really asking because I don’t remember in the case of Detroit!)
      There’s so much more to drafting than “pass rusher over WR every time”. That sounds a bit dogmatic to me.

It’s pretty much a standard throughout the league unless the WR is like a once every 25 year type player. I bet if you polled all 32 GMs, pass rusher would be the pick 90% of the time. I can’t prove that, but based on what I’ve heard over the years, I’m pretty comfortable with that number.

• jahndoh says:

I don’t believe that. it’s dogmatic and teams aren’t dogmatic like that when it comes to drafting. If ALL other things are equal, yes, pass rush over WR. But it’s not pretty much standard or we’d see 15 teams go QB in the first this year and 10 more go with pass rush.

We look to have some good variety on this pick so far. Of course the Raiders have a ton of needs so that helps lol.

10 votes in and its a 3 way tie

OT AUSTIN SHEPHERD
    ALABAMA
    6: R6P15
    G ADAM SHEAD
    OKLAHOMA

55. jahndoh says:

I may miss the next couple of picks. I’ll check in this afternoon to see how badly you guys have screwed this up. 😛

Piggy, can you see who other is?

58. Breakdown of NFL players by state:

California population: 38.8 million
    Texas population: 26.96 million
    Florida population: 19.89 million

So Cali has twice the number of people yet Florida only trails them 225-186 in number of players in the NFL. 🙂

That’s because there is a large population of “like reaaally” girls and “narly” dudes. LOL

Alright, so are we still on the Raiders?

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly

To @CBStacy can’t throw a deep ball accurately, poor pocket presence, not a leader, too conservative as a passer.

I call bullshit, liar and hater on you Omar! I am a homer, but let me break this down.

1. Can’t throw deep ball accurately? BS There was recently an article about Wallace that broke down Tannehills throws and 65% were on target. (The incompletions were on Wallace in many cases) Plus he didn’t seem to have deep ball issues with the other receivers…)
    2. Poor pocket presence? WHAT POCKET? The guards and center were constantly being pushed back into the “pocket” and the tackles were allowing edge rushers to loop around them to close the noose.
    3. Not a leader? Fuck off Omar. I have seen him get in the WR’s faces on the field, send guys off the field when they were going to get an unsportsmanlike penalty, etc. He has a C on his chest and organizes offseason workouts on his own with his pass catchers (has done so for at least 2 years now)
    4. too conservative a passer? I’ll just let this one pass. If he were less conservative Omar would be bitching about him taking too many changes.

All this is just my NSHO of course.

Noone liked my Mock with White, Gurley & Gaynes as the first three picks?

I think I will go up and fuck up the pole.

I do agree that Tanny is too conservative. He needs to start feeling he can make any throw. I also agree he’s not accurate with the deep ball. Just because one person states it was Wallace’s fault doesn’t make it so. It’s totally opinion, there is no fact behind that statement.

Whoa, Kevin White takes a slim lead in a hotly contested race. This one may need a recount

I hope nobody is voting twice because that fucks it up.

Did my vote for Bea Arthur count?

Philbin cited protection as a big factor with the deep ball. He said they’ve struggled with the 7 step drop the last two years and it has to get better.

OK, now there are 4 “other” votes. This Poll may need a redo.

well I was ONE of them. Bea Arthur to the Raiders!! What? She died? Oh well, I had heard she was “fast & easy”

Bea Arthur killed the combine. I think she was a late 1st RD pick before the combine

How do we get to see who the “other” picks are? Or can only the admin see?

April 2, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Tim, that is only an opinion. (read above) Sure it’s the coaches opinion, but still only an opinion with no facts to back it up.

LOL @ Rock. I’m pretty sure it’s all the coaches’ opinions.

I will see if I can figure out how to find out who the other is when I get a chance

I’m court bound now

April 2, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Rock

I can’t see them. Maybe Piggy can because he created the poll. Not sure.
    With this crowd I am sure there are a couple of funny ones. (I brain farted at the last minute and Bea Arthur is all I came up with.)

April 2, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Actually, it IS only an opinion, albeit a very qualified one.
    JBB MIke, but I guess how qualified that opinion is depends on the opinion of who you ask? LOL
    I know several posters on here who would debate with you how qualified it is…

I can assure you though, his opinion is more qualified than mine!

NIce Avi there Tim, I think I will get a #14 jersey this season…..and then he will bust out. (not break out, bust out.LOL)

Rock

I’m ascairt to buy a jersey. Every one I buy turns to sh*t

78. bat says:

Mike … buy a Tom Brady jersey …

The Raiders could end up choosing Clint Howard at #4.

Bat

That’s a great idea. I’d have a hard time not setting it afire though

Clint Howard sounds like a ballplayer, maybe a baseball player. Don’t you think?

Bat

How have you been? Busy as hell? lol

I thought I saw a shadow and heard some flapping. LOL

84. bat says:

Clint Howard looks like a severely mentally challenged fellow who has caught his first glimpse of a naked woman.

85. bat says:

Mike … LOL ..Yeah ..I have been swamped, and it is difficult to post from work right now .. I also am on my typical “mock draft” sabbatical …

This is an excerpt from the NFL rules regarding OTA’s.

Phase Two consists of the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills as well as team practice conducted on a “separates” basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.

Now, I can understand how the Offense can practice like this, you know running routes against ‘no-one’, etc, but how does the defense work with this?

Ok, drop into your zone. Ok drop into your zone again??

LOL @ Bat – I hear that. I have littered this place with many a mock.

Dolphins’ Key Offseason Dates:

First Day: April 20

OTA Workouts: May 26-27, May 29 June 1-2, June 4, June 8-11

Mandatory Minicamp: June 16-18

is it just me or does the offseason seem to be going quicker this year?

wow, that is three mock drafts in a row where white has fallen to me.

ewwwwww I don’t like using CBS Sports big board. There is noone fucking left by 14!

92. bat says:

Mike … My favorites are the ones where they make a dozen or so trades to somehow accumulate 7 second round picks …lol

Bat, I like the ones where they turn 6 picks into 20.

94. bat says:

Tim … LOL … Yes .. very realistic … Hickey should take notes …

What’s even funnier is the joy you sense from the proud mocksters. LOL

The Raiders are about to draft Other. LOL

97. bat says:

Tim … LOL … Yes ..basking in the glory of their shrewd manipulation of the draft …

It’s as if they’re desperately waiting for a treat. LOL

I am not sure how I really feel about this Mock. I kept getting screwed the pick before mine came up with them taking the player I was targeting…

YOUR TEAM
    MIAMI DOLPHINS
    YOUR PICKS
    1: R1P14 -OT BRANDON SCHERFF -IOWA
    2: R2P15 -ILB DENZEL PERRYMAN -MIAMI
    3: R4P15 -WR PHILLIP DORSETT -MIAMI
    4: R5P13 -CB CHARLES GAINES -LOUISVILLE
    5: R5P14 -RB JEREMY LANGFORD -MICHIGAN STATE
    6: R6P15 -FB TYLER VARGA – YALE

But at least I was able to grab Tyler Varga (fan favorite) in the sixth. LOL

I love the first 4 picks, and Varga, of course. lol

hell I even got screwed by the team before my pick @ R5P14

………………..Oh Wait I screwed myself! LOL (getting used to that now that I am getting divorced)

I would sign up for the first three right now.

And yes all drafts are required to have a Varga. LOL

I think I have seen Varga’s name on more mocks posted here than any other player including the presumptive pick (Parker) in the first round. LOL

100. bat says:

Barry Jackson ‏@flasportsbuzz 3m3 minutes ago

Dolphins have signed LB Spencer Paysinger. He replaces Trusnik and Freeny.

Bat

He replaces both? He’s that good? Are we playing with 10 on ST’s? lol

102. bat says:

Mike .. LOL … Apparently …

I think Tripp and Paysinger replace Trusnik and Freeny.

So if the Raiders pick Other, will they know where to play him?

Bat

Now that we have you here, what are your thoughts of jettisoning Mike Wallace and acquiring Kenny Stills, and of course, the big acquisition, Ndamukong Suh?

LOL @ Wyo – Sometimes it looks that way

Mike E, we couldn’t have asked for a better spring from Matt Harvey – 22.1 innings, 1.19 ERA, 20 SOs and 1 W. LOL

108. Al in MIA says:

Not sure what to think of the Spencer Paysinger signing other than I hope we draft better talent than him lol.
    He’s slower than Trusnik, Wheeler, Freeney, etc.

109. bat says:

Mike … I love the Suh acquisition. A bold move to get an elite player. Stills for a third rounder (I don’t figure in Ellerbe because he was out anyway) is a fine deal. We wouldn’t be able to draft a WR that could contribute more than Stills with a 3rd round pick. I’m not a fan of dumping Wallace for almost nothing, but I think there may have been real chemistry issues between he and Tannehill, so I understand the need to move him. I love the fact that there has been a pretty big turnover so far in the roster… Get some of these mediocre slugs out of here… All in all I like what we’ve done so far, but then I realize that Bazooka Joe and Coyle are still in place and my mood darkens …lol

LMAO! Too funny Bat

111. Al in MIA says:

April 2, 2015 at 4:11 pm

He’s in that same 4.7 range.
    —–
    For the 40 which i could care less about …the 10 yard split sucks.

112. bat says:

Nice chatting with you boys again …Later!

So the “other” answers are
    (drumroll)

Bea Arthur
    Yo Mamma
    Genghis Arthur
    Bruce Jenner

and Perriman (which is the only serious one)

114. Al in MIA says:

Only if you are the gunner lol (40 time for special teams)

Everyone runs down the field on coverage teams. But I think we’re making to big a deal about this signing anyway.

115. Al in MIA says:

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 15s15 seconds ago

If Spencer Paysinger is a starting LB at any point for the Dolphins in 2015, something went wrong.
    ——–
    My thoughts exactly, lol.

The winner is Kevin White with 5 votes

😦
    White is off the board

We didn’t think White would be there for us anyway. Now Jahn will come here and celebrate with a special dance.

I missed the Bat sighting

Nice seeing Bat agian
    Oinks to you Bat

Later Bat – Good to see ya!

New Poll up
    redksins on the clock

Kevin White to the Raiders.

would paysinger be an upgrade over trusnik? I thought trusnik played pretty good ST

It kills me that the jests are going to have a shot at Amari Cooper, Marcus Mariotta or Vic Beasley

but that is the way it is shaping up

Next 4 picks after Redskins are
    Jests
    Bears
    Falcons
    Giants

This poll will probably stay up until 9pm Eastern b/c I will be on the run until then

Hopefully, the Jets pick 6th every year

New Age

I know. It sucks seeing one of your faves off the board. I figure even if Da Raiduhs don’t take White, either the Bears or Browns probably will.

125. new age says:

This one seemed easy for me as well. I think the skins need someone to replace orakpo pretty badly. They have a lot of holes too. Losing all those picks for RG3… Just didn’t work.

126. My “other” selection in the poll doesn’t show only the 1% — lol

New Age – I took Gregory, could have gone Beasley. How bout you?

The 5th pick? How the fuck did I miss picks 3 and 4? Some people have to work you know!

Gotta keep checking

• Brian in NY says:

Well, I can’t really pull my phone out in the middle of class!
        Student: “Mr.in NY, why do you keep pulling your phone out instead of teaching us?”
        Me: ” I have a meaningless mock draft poll to participate in! Shut the fuck up and do your book work!”

Quick Draw Piggily McGraw! LOL

Don’t worry about the Raiders, some picked Bea Arthur, Yo Mamma, Genghis Arthur and Bruce Jenner. LOL

Okay
    we are over 10 picks (12)
    so I’m closing this one quickly to get to the main event

The stinking jests

Its up the Jests are on the clock

Jahn might be happy about White to Oakland
    but he is gonna be angry about this one
    Mariotta is runnign away with it so far

Gigi

What was you “other” vote?

Brian, just tell your class you’re keeping up with the Kardashians. LOL

Someone on the NFLN compared Mariota to Tannehill, saying they’re very similar players.

The wild cards with Mariota is the Titans deciding they need a QB, or the Browns moving up to get him.

I hope the Jets draft Mariota and then before TC starts he announces he’d rather… sing! LOL

137. CaliGigi says:

Piggy: Betty White 😛

LMAO @ Tim! “Wasting away again in Mariotaville”

Gigi

Betty White is very durable. Good pick! 🙂

Andrew Abramson ✔ @AbramsonPBP
    Former Bucs QB Josh Freeman close to signing with #Dolphins

Mike E, some are saying it’s a done deal.

I think Freeman has talent, he just never seemed to be consistent enough to put 2 good seasons together in a row. He’s actually better suited to our offense than Matt Moore is though.

144. jahndoh says:

“Tim Knight says:
    April 2, 2015 at 1:29 pm
    Jahn, agree to disagree. WRs are easier to find than pass rushers and that is a fact.”

Ha! Self declaration of what is fact always cracks me up. I won’t debate you, I just think declaring your own opinion fact is hilarious.

• jahndoh says:

PS, it’s amazing that we were looking for the right WR year after year after year and we found Olivier Vernon in the 3rd round and Cam Wake in the CFL.

Valid point Jahn.

Psst, Mike E:

Don’t tell Tim this, but I also value a premium pass rusher higher than a premium WR, I just don’t think it’s as simple as he made it out to be earlier today.

LOL! Tim, you didn’t see that!

145. jahndoh says:

April 2, 2015 at 5:49 pm
    Jahn might be happy about White to Oakland
    but he is gonna be angry about this one
    Mariotta is runnign away with it so far
    April 2, 2015 at 5:51 pm
    He warned us about this. LOL
    —-
    All I have to say is that if you don’t worry even a little about this I question your ability to assess the QB position. The top 2 QBs dueled on a national stage in the biggest game of the year for both players, and Mariota blew doors against the supposed better defense while Winston shit the bed against Oregon’s defense. Duh!

LOL…

146. jahndoh says:

Bat sighting? WTF? Good to almost catch you Bat!

147. jahndoh says:

Sirius NFL radio just said Freeman is a Fin fwiw. They have Hickey’s former boss on the air right now. He said all the stuff you’d expect him to say about Freeman. I view it as a camp signing that will probably garner more attention than it merits..ala Chad Johnson/OchoStinko.

Brian in NY says:
    April 2, 2015 at 5:40 pm
    Well, I can’t really pull my phone out in the middle of class!
    ____________________-
    You understand the fundamentals now implement the procedure, lol

Jahn

Wake was the best defensive player in the CFL by a huge margin though, so it’s not a shocker that he might be succesful in the nFL. Late bloomer.

• jahndoh says:

I think he’s a special player though. There have been other clearly best in the CFL players that just couldn’t make the jump. We were lucky to sign him, and for all the hate that the former regimes get, we STILL owe thanks to them for what is likely STILL our best player.

I like Freeman, what a back-up if we can get him to get his shit together. He’s a baller and a big dude. I like the signing and truly wish for it to work out.
    I’d actually say I’m impressed with the signing.

Good to see ‘ol Bat check in, Hi Bat!

I voted for Gurley, stej gonna think they can run the ball with Geno and play D.

Jahn

I’m not happy about the jests getting Mariota or a shot at him (might be a trade down)

But that is just the way the chips might fall

I am sure the Bucs take Winston
    And after that the next 3 teams like their 2nd year QBs
    The redskins are the only threat to take a qb before jests
    And I’m sure they are not done with RG3

• jahndoh says:

I do agree it’s the way the chips might fall, but as of now, I put more stock into Gil Brandt’s prediction he’s going to Tennessee than I do that he’ll fall to NYJ. I also hope that’s the case.

I think they like Mettenberg too much

• jahndoh says:

We’ll see if you or Gil is right. I don’t see what’s so special about Mettenberg tbh. Less than 60% completions and 8TDs to 7INTs.

You don’t pass on a first round talent to develop this guy who you drafted in the 6th round and hoped he’d never have to play (Locker).

LOL did I just see ” wasted away in Mariottaville” that’s funny

I also think Mariota and the jests is a horrible combo

Unless it’s Philly or a team copies chip Kelly’s offense, Mariotta will need time
    And the jests are the most impatient team in the NFL
    They won’t wait to develop Mariota

• jahndoh says:

Jets under entirely new leadership and coaching. I don’t think we know their identity just yet.

• jahndoh says:

I also question the conventional wisdom that Mariota needs more time than Winston. Winstons 2 year stat line reminds me a lot of a guy who just retired in Tennessee.

156. twicethethe says:

Just added a section under the polls for the poll draft results, so we can all track and not go crazy trying to remember. Will try to update as time allows…

Oinks to whomever put up the draft poll results

Nicely down

• Try Pod says:

When’s the Mick Draft start?

Happy hour

LOL! I’m having a bunch over to my house tomorow for Passover. We did it last year, it was so much fun. My firend Rob, the one who has cancer is coming over. He’s going to sing the 4 questions again in Hebrew. My neighbors are coming as well, it’s going to be PassMickover. 🙂

Jahn

Wake garnered a lot of NFL interest. We were far from the only team interested, we just outbid everyone. I agree, he’s a special player and special case. Things like that don’t happen often, where a guy goes through the draft process, gets drafted, doesn’t cut in the NFL, and then tears up the CFL and comes back to the NFL and is a pro bowler. I can’t think of another case like it.

• jahndoh says:

If I recall correctly there was only one other team vying for his services in earnest. We paid him decently, but I think he got less than a mill per year from us.

You might be right. I’m real fuzzy on the details, but I thought there were a few teams involved fors ure.

Jahn, I don’t worry about what other teams do. I want our team to get to a level where we can compete with anyone for a championship. I like good competition because it makes winning more satisfying. The Seahawks don’t care who they play, they win because they’re that good. They should have won their second SB in a row but they got silly.

Oinks to whomever voted Colonpokey the great tight end prospect to the jests

I didn’t even see the results. Awesome Twice! Thats very cool!

Jahn

The wisdom is based in the fact that Mariota hasn’t done a lot of work under center

But I guess some teams would be okay with that
    We probably would

• jahndoh says:

Is that it? If an NFL staff can’t teach an athlete like that to do a 3-5-7 step drop they all deserve to be fired. I think most rookie QBs could use time, but I don’t think Mariota is unique at all in that aspect. (needing time).

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Jets went edge pass rusher. Bowles said defense was something he wanted to make really strong.

But I think if Amarion’s is there they just kind of have to take him or trade down

I don’t think Mariota gets past 6

Pass rusher would be my 2nd choice for the jests

They can trade down and get one

I think I want to get pick 14 on Monday morning

We are bound to slow down a bit this weekend

Should I close this pole and move on to the Bears

(Whispering) who are bound to take Danny Shelton

If cooper fell to 14
    And 49ers wanted to trade up with us
    Would you?
    I would!

• jahndoh says:

In this hypothetical, does Parker remain on the board? If so, yes. But I don’t think the Fins would pass on Parker just “trusting” another hot to trot for a WR team to take Cooper.

in other words, if I knew that they were going to take Cooper in that situation, I’d do the trade, but in practice, I don’t think there’s anyway to “know”.

At the end of the 2008 CFL season, Wake drew interest from several NFL teams, including the Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Rams, New Orleans Saints, Buffalo Bills and Minnesota Vikings. He worked out for the Dolphins on January 15, 2009.[10]

After receiving interest from 17 total NFL teams and working out for eight, Wake signed with the Dolphins on January 18, 2009.[2] The four-year deal included a $1 million signing bonus and could be worth up to $4.9 million.[2]

• jahndoh says:

This is arguing minutiae, but when I said “in earnest” I was recalling that there was only said to be one other team who’s contract offer made them a contender. I was SLIGHTLY off on the contract numbers. Just over a million a year is not a superstar’s contract.

Whoa! I’m not arguing. I told you I was fuzzy on the details. I’m just showing you what actually went down.

• jahndoh says:

PS, maybe I’m remembering wrong about the interest. Like I said, he is a special player. There are many CFL standouts who can’t do what he did.

I don’t think any of us would argue he didn’t vastly outplay his first contract with us.

Wake had 39 sacks in 2 seasons in the CFL.

• jahndoh says:

They do pass like 90% of the time too, but I’m not in the market to talk down Wake. I think coming out his contract says how the NFL viewed him. Talented, lots of potential, but high risk for bust. There’s SOME basis in Omar’s argument that offseason that Wake “might get cut” even if I told him he was wrong and he swore me off forever because of it. LOL!

Jahn, so your questioning my opinion on not worrying about what other teams do as well? LOL

• jahndoh says:

I am? I’m not sure what fucking planet you’re coming from right now to be honest. I hope for your sake the weather is good!

You randomly went off about worrying about other teams on a day we’re all debating who the Raiders, Redskins, Jets need in the draft.

• jahndoh says:

Sorry for the swearing, it reads hostile. Didn’t mean it that way!

jahndoh says:
        April 2, 2015 at 7:42 pm

April 2, 2015 at 5:49 pm
        Jahn might be happy about White to Oakland
        but he is gonna be angry about this one
        Mariotta is runnign away with it so far
        April 2, 2015 at 5:51 pm
        He warned us about this. LOL
        —-

LOL…

It wasn’t random, I replied to what you said. 🙂

• jahndoh says:

Ah…it’s hard to know what you were replying too since you didn’t actually quote me until now. LOL…

What compensation would you expect to move up 1 spot in the 1st? a 3rd, a 4th?

• jahndoh says:

Depends highly on the spot. From 31st to 30th is a whole other deal than from 2nd to 1st.

You talking 49ers to Dolphins?

I’d say probably a 3rd rounder…but I’m not looking at the value chart, so take it with a grain of salt.

Mike E, we’re hosting Passover tomorrow evening as well.

171. jahndoh says:

You’re right about Hundley Wyo, although I think he’s going to go late 1st to some team who can be patient in developing him. I don’t rule out New England actually.

172. jahndoh says:

Mike, actually I looked it up. it’s a mid 4th. But the book on single slot trades is that the team in the higher slot is in the catbird seat. Miami says “well, we really wanted that player so it’s gonna cost you” and the Niners have to decide if they can pay the cost.

Minnesota got a 4th, a 5th and a 7th to move down a single slot when Cleveland drafted Richardson. I believe years ago they got a nice price for us in a single slot trade down too, but right now I can’t remember the player…Vernon Carey maybe???

Thanks – If we’re not interested in the player, the 4th RD is worth it, and if we could get any more, it’s well worth it.

Tenn will take Mariotta or they will trade out i don’t think he’ll make it to 6.

A lot of people feel that way. It’s very possible another team trades up to get him at #2. The Redskins might take him too. RGIII doesn’t seem to be popular with the HC or his teammates.

I don’t know
    I’m starting to think the pick might be One of the OL
    I’m gonna put Hundley and Petty in the polls now

Bc QBs defy rankings

Last year was a much deeper draft than this year, I prefer to do damage up front and not be overly concerned with too many later picks. I’d trade up for Cooper or White to put in our offense instead of 5 or 6 guys who essentially become camp fodder.

I think we’re talking about of the guy we really want is gone at #14, and the 49ers wanted to move up for someone. I’d do that in a second. On the other hand, I have no problem moving up to get the player we want, but that fucker better start and play (WELL) every game!

Just curious. Do you guys drink Slivovitz on Passover?

Not familiar with that. I know there has been Kedem and I just picked up a bottle of Manischewitz. My wife’s family probably much like yours are more traditional than religious so there will be regular wine and beer too. LOL

jahndoh says:
    April 2, 2015 at 8:40 pm (Edit)
    Good call. I still think he’s going late 1st early 2nd. Maybe not New England. Where do you think he goes?
    _____________-
    I like Hundley, good size, hard worker, good runner, good arm.
    Cleveland, St. louis, KC, San Diego, Nawlins.
    Saints and Browns both have two first rounders.

• jahndoh says:

Good call on Cleveland. I wonder if they have a plan for Manziel or if they’ve decided not to count on him.

I imagine it would be be difficult to count on him. Me, I wouldn’t. I’m OD with him, “Show me”!

Deonte Greenberry

Mariota to the jests
    The Bears are in the clock

Mike E, my wife said she’s not familiar with Slivovitz.

What are you serving?

Tim & Mike E, enjoy your Passover get together tomorrow night my friends.
    I’m going to a Tenebrae service tomorrow nite, then on Sunday I’ll be going to a Resurrection Sunday sunrise service that takes place outside on the edge of a beautiful as the sun is coming up…very kool celebration!

Thanks for the slivovitz Mike E!

I like the outside the box thinking by our FO with this Freeman signing. It’s a cheap one year deal. Lazor might see something that he could coach up in Josh, and he or Moore could become great trade bait. As you have seen many times before another team’s QB go down with injury in Camp or PS.

So I applaud the thinking ahead strategy this FO seems to be making as well as the now thinking they’ve done.

Lazor is a QB coach as well so like you said he might see something in Freeman. The guy has talent, I have to think his mindset hasn’t be right. He did have one really good year. This could also be to push Moore and make the entire QB position more competitive.

FYI
    Next 4 teams up after Bears
    Falcons
    Giants
    Rams
    Vikings

Thanks Tim.

Freeman is already on the roster on the official Dolphin site.

Dolphins signed QB Josh Freeman to a one-year contract.
    The agreement ends a year in the NFL wilderness for the No. 17 overall pick of the 2009 draft. Freeman was as bad as can be in four combined appearances for the Bucs and Vikings in 2013, but has a huge arm, and is still only 27. With Matt Moore entrenched behind Ryan Tannehill, Freeman’s best-case scenario in Miami is No. 3 duties. A productive camp and preseason could earn Freeman a dice-roll as someone else’s No. 2.

I’m interested to see if we trade down quite a bit, add a 2nd and say a 4th, then draft Kendricks, don’t look back and look at WR and OL in the 2nd round.

Apparently Spencer Paysinger is considered a good STs player and he’s young at 26 years old.

I almost feel like we forgot we signed Suh. LOL

The idea of him and Mitchell inside at DT and Wake, Vernon, Jordan or McCain at DE/OLB could be lethal.

Philbin said one thing he spoke with Coyle about was simplifying the defense and less personnel packages. Use your depth properly but rely on your top talent.

We might see more 5-2 with the talent we have.
    LDE Wake
    LDT Suh
    RDT Mitchell
    RDE Vernon/Jordan/McCain
    Jack-OLB Vernon/Jordan/McCain (standing up – could rush or drop in coverage)
    ILB Misi
    ILB Jenkins

You might have forgotten, I sure haven’t plus I see his big nappy head every time I refresh the page, lol

Al Sharpton will come for you for using the word nappy. LOL

Is it racist to say an Irish, Scottish, English or Scandanavian dude has red hair? I don’t think so.

My Mom and her sister have red hair and my Mom prayed I didn’t end up with orange hair when I was born. She would have still loved me but she wasn’t a fan of the bright red hair thing. LOL

It wouldn’t have bothered me other than the ribbing you get for it in school. After that it can actually be attractive. I’m attracted to red-headed women. Not that I’m hunting, I’m married. LOL

April 2, 2015 at 9:33 pm
    I get the feeling that if we don’t take a WR with our first pick (either at 14 or a trade down), there will be slim pickings by the time we pick again in the 2nd. There is going to be a run on the big three WR early, and then another run in the late 1st early 2nd IMO.

I think this WR class is deep through 3 rounds. Not saying after that there is no talent, just that there are a lot of good WR prospects in the top 100.

History tells us not all the top prospects live up to the billing and the other round prospects surpass them.

Waiting to the 2nd is sort of playing with fire

I don’t want Sammie Coates
      He is a physical freak
      But lacks skills

I still think we should draft a ILB and move misi back outside. I think Misi’s play dropped off at the end of season last year.

He played on a high-ankle sprain all season he got in game 1. To me the Misi experiment at MLB was incomplete.

I’m not saying he must be the MLB, but I want to see someone beat him out and make him move to SOLB.

He actually fits in the 5-2 defense Coyle incorporated last year. I like this alignment.
      LDE Wake
      LDT Suh
      RDT Mitchell
      RDE Vernon/Jordan/McCain
      Jack-OLB Vernon/Jordan/McCain (standing up – could rush or drop in coverage)
      ILB Misi
      ILB Jenkins

Also we might have a WR on our board who hasn’t been talked about much like Landry last year. Maybe Hardy?

Our offense right now seems to be penciled in like this.
    LT Albert/James
    LG Thomas
    C Pouncey
    RG Turner
    RT James/Fox
    TE Cameron/Sims

QB Tannehill
    RB Miller/Williams

WR Landry
    WR Stills
    WR Matthews

I’d like to see a jolt at WR and OL.

ONE QUICK FLY-BY BEFORE RETIRING FOR THE NIGHT. –Noticed some of you have plans for Passover/Easter. I do, too. Since I have to work a convention on Saturday, I’m going to do the “aetheist thing” by mowing the lawn on Sunday while my wife goes to church to pray for her heathen husband. After mowing, I’ll do some serious grocery shopping, feed the dogs, walk all 3 of them, then I’ll take Mrs. OD out to lunch. After that, I’ll catch a couple innings of FAU baseball (vs. the Marshall Thundering Herd) on the live feed from FAU Stadium. Then I’ll check in on the U. of Miami’s baseball game because, after a 3-game series against Marshall, the Owls go to Coral Gables on Tuesday to meet up again with the Hurricanes at A-Roid Field. IMHO, the FAU-Miami rivalry is the best Division I baseball rivalry in the State of Florida. No doubt the Canes will be looking to avenge their 5-3 loss to FAU in Boca Raton a few weeks ago. Also, it’s WAY to early to talk much about it BUT, on September 12, Miami visits Schnellenberger Field to play the Owls on the second weekend of the college football season. A friend of mine who graduated from the “U” says I won’t live long enough to see Miami lose to FAU in football. We’ll see, my friend, we’ll see.
    ———–
    Good night, Dolfans everywhere!! –Great Grandpa is out!

GDP – Thanks brother! Enjoy your services and Good Friday!

Sonny tomorrow with a chance of bullshit