Soolaimon

…for my Children

By son of a son of a shula

One of the things that happens when you turn fifty is you stop giving a shit about a lot of stuff, how you react and express yourself changes. For example, before fifty I wouldn’t shout out that I’m a big Neil Diamond fan but now that I’m fifty I have no problem admitting it – Proudly. And given that fact I want to explain a few reasons why some of his music stands out for me throughout my life. Mainly my appreciation for Neil Diamond is in the “Hot August Night” album from 1972. I know the “Jazz Singer” soundtrack pretty well (can sing along with even the Yom Kippur stuff) and I love the “Beautiful Noise” album which was produced by Robbie Robertson from The Band. Quad stereos were out and my father loved listening to the album and the whole family got into it, it was a lot of fun, mainly “Hot August Night”.

This isn’t about ha ha you like Neil Diamond I know the stigma but stay with me. This album is different to me than probably to you and some of it lends itself to what we may have seen manifest itself here. I’ll tell you listening to side four on the album is practically a religious experience in how it will make you examine yourself and how well played it is. Alas, I’m not even trying to encourage anyone to listen to it its good though. There’s a song I want to share the lyrics of with you and let you see how it relates to here and what WE are perhaps doing.

If I was standing in front of you and talking to you and I decided to tell you a story of how I experienced a factual event  I would just tell you my story and I wouldn’t qualify a damn thing I was only telling you what I knew to be true. Conta Libre playing as I type this, from side three on the album. That’s what we do here, we don’t publish we just talk and tell stories. The accumulation of all of this talking is a place that’s ours – we did it together. So “Conta Libre” ends (58:00 minute mark) and  it starts:

This is a fantasy…pure fantasy

Morningside
The old man died
And no one cried
They simply turned away

And when he died
He left a table made of nails and pride
And with his hands,
He carved these words inside
‘For my children’

Morning light
Morning bright
I spent the night
With dreams that make you weep
Morning time
Wash away the sadness
From these eyes of mine
For I recall the words an old man signed
‘For my children’

[Spoken:]
And the legs were shaped with his hands
And the top made of oaken wood
And the children
That sat around this great table
Touched it with their laughter
Ah, and that was good

Morningside
An old man died
And no one cried
He surely died alone
And truth is sad
For not a child would claim the gift he had
The words he carved became his epitaph
‘For my children’

Santos

That’s “Morningside”.

We’re building something, it won’t get seen by anyone, it won’t be revered, it won’t even matter and despite knowing that we go about it with pride and strive to make it good. We’re fortunate to even hear the stories. Be glad you heard the story, I am.

Next is an excellent version of “Song Sung Blue”.

This album has been a part of my life for as long as the Dolphins have been. It speaks to me and helps me at times. I had a real tough year around 12 years ago or so, late thirties and it was just everything just a tough time for me but I got the CD of Hot August Night” for Christmas and probably hadn’t heard it since we moved from Ct in “83. Side 4,(the second half of the 2nd CD). It brought me back, it fixed me, saved isn’t the right word I wasn’t in despair and things were fine. “Holly Holy” goes into “I am…I said” then it ends with “Soolaimon”,“Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show”… oh man good stuff.

So I’m at the end of this and I read through it and say to myself, What the hell are you doing writing about Neil Diamond? Are you really going to post this? Then I say–

I don’t give a shit!

Albert Camus,

E. A. Poe, Henri Rousseau
Sholom Aleichem and Caryl Chessman
Alan Freed and Buster Keaton too

And each one there
Has one thing shared
They have sweated beneath the same sun
Looked up in wonder at the same moon
And wept when it was all done
For bein’ done too soon
For bein’ done too soon
For bein’ done

This entry was posted in A Sonny Football Fantasy. Bookmark the permalink.

323 Responses to Soolaimon

Good morning. I started reading this post this morning And as you say thought to myself What the fuck am I reading about Neil Diamond for. This has nothing to do with the dolphins… I don’t even like Neil Diamond… that about two-thirds the way through something happened. Without warning All the pain and loneliness that I’ve felt in the last few months Rushed to the surface It came out All at once. I just experienced a Very cathartic 15 minute long body racking cry. As if a boil had been lanced Everything came out. I realize how much I appreciate this place And all of you And the opportunity to interact with you. Thank you. Thank you everybody. Thank you son

2. Try Pod says:

Thanks, Son. You seem to be in a “place” we won’t all be in at the moment, but I think your message is relatable.
    Your Neil Diamond love sounds like a “guilty pleasure”, something I think most have- mine is Lawrence Welk (no it isn’t, I just can’t think of something as lame as Neil Diamond- lol jbb). Neil Diamond is fine.. My mom likes him which is where my introduction to him comes from. Mom used to have a stack of 45’s, and “Cracklin’ Rose” was one of them- always liked that song. I think she might have “The Jazz Singer” album, not sure. Her love of Elvis, however, did not seem to affect me or my sisters-lol.

I too was wondering WTF has Son lost it?
    Do we need to send the boys who control the rubber rooms in?

Neil Diamond is not really my “Style” but to each his own

Rock I’m glad this place gives you a break from ” The Shit” every now and then!

That’s what I use it for! 🙂

4. dcoralsprings says:

That’s great !

When I was a young kid my parents played “hot August night” all the time

Porcupine pie !

Neil Diamond?

Are you really going to post that?…lol

Thanks Son!

Thanks Son – I really enjoyed reading this. I like Neil Diamond (don’t love him), but there are some songs that I really like. I thought it was funny that Laurence Olivier played Neil Diamond’s father in the Jazz Singer, an orthodox Jew, and Olivier also played Zell, a Nazi Concentration Camp murdered and torturer in (Marathon Man).

LOL that you even sing the Yom Kippur stuff. That’s great.
    ____________________________________________
    Rock – Glad to hear that you had a bit of a release, and I’m glad you’re here with us bud.

BTW – The defense sucked Game 16, 2013.

8. Rhino says:

Son, absolutely outstanding!!! Your intuition to apply the songs’ lyrics to the subtle (often unspoken) humanity that brings people to the same blog over and over for years… well, it’s truly as poetic as the lyrics themselves. I am profoundly impressed with what you have written.

At this point I have no option but to parody the ending of the movie “In and Out”:
    “I am a Neil Diamond fan”! 🙂

Son, that was a cool piece. I like Neil Diamond. I don’t have any of his stuff or ever put it on but I do respect his talent and like some of his songs. When I was growing up he was on the radio all the time.

10. naplesfan2010 says:

I am not sure whether social media has caused or contributed to or just revealed this, but from my experiences these last 5-15 years, Americans are mean. Rude, defensive, overly opinionated, quick to anger, vicious, stubborn, intolerant, capable of saying anything (at least in the anonymity or physical distance provided by social media), hurtful, pessimistic, and violent or vindictive if they don’t get their way.
    As I say, it’s probably always been this way, but there was no quick and easy way for people to show their feelings to large numbers of acquaintances on a wide range of topics until social media.

Thank you to Son for trying to inject a little kindness and tolerance for others’ perspectives here.
    Notice how old the literature is that he cites.

11. bat says:

Oh … I’m sorry ..I’ve apparently stumbled into some sort of therapy session …lol … Neil Diamond? .. I just can’t relate ..I’ll counter with this..

LOL @ Bat

Son posts about Neil ‘Diamond’ and Bat posts ‘Skeletonwitch’. LOL

Naples, the guitars and drums is what draws me to metal, I’m not a fan of many of the vocalists.

13. bat says:

Naples ..LOL ..Glad you liked the music, that riff is awesome. Black/Thrash metal singers are meant to sound like demons, so in that respect the singer is talented. The lyrics are uncomplicated and fit the music …lol

• naplesfan2010 says:

he sounds like a demon if a 5 pack a day smoker who just took a hit off a crack pipe chased with a jigger of rot-gut whiskey sounds like a demon … uhh yeah, well

Bat, do we really know what demons sound like? 😉

15. bat says:

Tim … Some of us do …lol

Neil Diamond?

The only thing I would want to know about Neil Diamond is can he play LG?

18. naplesfan2010 says:

Bat
    As a minion, I suppose you already know that Neil Diamond is just a covert for Neil Demon…. wolf in sheep’s clothing and all that
    any snare to catch the rabbits

19. bat says:

Naples …. Quiet! …You’ll ruin everything!!!

Nice article Son. You’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of the table analogy. 🙂

I don’t have strong feelings about Neil Diamond either way….except to say he’s a bit too sequiny for me. I don’t like a man who wears more bling than I do. 😉

Ken says:

June 19, 2015 at 10:01 am (Edit)

The only thing I would want to know about Neil Diamond is can he play LG?
    ******************
    Possibly better than Thomas or Douglas. lol

Herd

I’d tend to think that Neil Diamond doesn’t wear civilian sequins. Not positive, just a guess.

I don’t know about LG?

But my money is he will never play TE again! 😉

I read that Neil Diamond wore those beaded shirts and jewelry on stage so the audience could see him from afar.

Demons sound nothing like you would expect

They sound just like Fran Drescher

Son’s waxing philosophical. Nice job man.

June 19, 2015 at 11:29 am
    I just realized recently she was in Saturday Night Fever.
    ———————————–
    Yeah in Hollywood she wasnt an unknown, she just was to maost of America until she got on nighttime tv.

June 19, 2015 at 11:01 am (Edit)

A likely story! lol

ok, I’m checking on flights and hotels for the fest. What area do I look for a hotel?

Thing i like about song lyrics is it speaks to people in different ways and opens up the heart and mind to deeper understanding than even the writer intended. The lyrics specifically to Morningside, seems particualrly deepn and meaningfult o me, i appreciate you posting them.

That said it was wise to keep it a secret that you liked Neil Diamond, though to me he is nothing more than a Vegas side show dude anyways, i didnt get the full Neil Diamond experience. 🙂

Your father probably liked Neil Diamond. KIDS! Ugh! lol

Actually, and shockingly to me, when my dad was younger he liked Steppenwolf, Aerosmith (yeah they have been around a while), Alice Cooper, Creedence, etc. I have never known my Father to listen to anything but country and occasionally some Creedence, was kinda weird to think of my dad listening to what was considered heavy rock then.

If you don’t mind me asking, how old is your dad?

My dad is 68.

D

Are you going to make it to the fest? I want to see if you talk as long as you write

He never shuts the fuck up! LOL

Probably wont this year, but maybe the next one. Things still unsettled here with my business, we are embarking with a pretty major overhaul to our system and its going to be at least a year before things settle out some i think. Its going to be a good thing when we get to the other side of it but i don’t foresee many chances for vacation until then, and when we go we would probably combo it with a trip to Disney, since we haven’t been there in couple years now as well.

To answer your question though, i am a pretty good/contientious conversationalist, but i will dominate the conversation if someone else isnt adding input lol. I think i just hate dead air lol

Funny tweet by Cher on Donald Trump running for president.
    “Donald Trump’s ego is So inflated,he might As well be the Hindenburg ! In Dictionary next to “Obnoxious asshole” See Photo of “THE DONALD😖”

Yeah, Cher is so humble and down to earth herself, absolutely no ego at all with that woman. 🙄

• naplesfan2010 says:

That’s true, Cher is one of the truly nice people, as well as her ex husband Sonny. Trump on the other hand is one of the worst people I have ever seen to make public statements.

I’ve always liked Cher. Beautiful and very talented. Great actor as well as a singer.

Fran Drescher is a person who is “in character” most of the time, as she is almost trademarked by her accent now. Almost all interviews with her, she sounds liek that, etc, but occasionally you hear her when she isnt in acting mode and she has a accent but not nearly as pronounced. I wonder sometimes about actors/actresses and how “in character” they stay, so much so that im not sure that the better once dont in some way really not know who they really are and simply play a role every time they interact with people. Im sure some can shut it off, but i wonder about some of them.

D

Your dad probably also “secretly” likes Neil Diamond. lol

Oh and Mike, TBH i often have pages of stuff typed out i never post and/or decide against saying, and/or just realise we have moved on in the convos after i get it fully done lol. So fear the amount i d post, but be terrified of the amount i omit.

Son, good lyrical revisionism of well written pieces of the past. The insight was unique and a wonderful way to keep the blog members to a minimum…lol, jk/bb on that last sentence.

This time of the off season is the absolute slowest. So I appreciate your foray into providing entertainment during such doldrums.
    BTW, Robbie Robertson from The Band was/is quite a talent. I enjoyed some of there music in the past.
    As a child my parents weren’t playing a lot of Neil Diamond that I can remember, was more like Elvis, Johnny Cash, and a lot of Roy Orbison whom I really connected with musically.

37. naplesfan2010 says:

I loved Steppenwolf who were deep and political but at the same time just kick-ass hard rock. I also loved Creedence who were so far ahead of their time that they propelled Cajun music to a place it still has not gotten to yet.

38. naplesfan2010 says:

Roy Orbison had one of the truly great singing voices of all time. (So did Cash and Elvis actually although I am not really into them myself.) And the Band was great at Big Pink.
    “Pretty Woman” is just awesome.

39. naplesfan2010 says:

Cher is one of the prettiest of the “sultry exotic” type ever. Put her up against Kim Kardashian (another Armenian) and see what talentless trash Kim K really is.

Oh it’s not even close with Kim K. Cher has quite a bit of ethic ancestry which is why she’s so uniquely beautiful looking. The outfits she would wear with that body of hers. Geez!

• naplesfan2010 says:

I know, right?
        She had what I always thought was a classic Art Deco line. Long, lean but still curvy.

Roy Orbison’s music sounds like it comes from another world.

It’s weird that CCR is known for Cajun/Swamp rock but they’re from San Fran. LOL

Last thing Mike E see’s before he gets planted head first into the ground!

• naplesfan2010 says:

LOL

I can’t see that on my computer, but I can guess, and if I saw him in December, I’d just push him out of the way as I pass. lol

• BoulderPhinfan says:

I think the december collapses have been more of a team thing than just wake.

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins · 2m2 minutes ago
    Happy Birthday, @Walt_Aikens!!

#StrongerTogether!

Walt Aikens and Cold Stone Creamery

Mike,
    So are you saying if wake was as good in December as he was in September we’d gone to the playoffs the last couple of years?

I don’t blame wake. If the rest of the team is collapsing around him I can see him collapsing as well. If any ONE person is to be blamed for the late season melt downs it should be philbin not wake.

i’m saying if he showed up and made some big plays, it can spark the whole team when you’re getting your ass kicked otherwise. What if he forced a fumble on a strip sack against BUF and scored a TD, or just recovered it deep in their teritory. It “Wakes” the team up.

Boulder

It’s not like I’m absolving the reat of the team, and only giving Wake hell. The best players sometimes elevate their team by playing over and above in big spots. Wake just blends in with the rest of the ineffective players. You should be able to tell the difference.

June 19, 2015 at 12:33 pm
    ***
    Good luck with that MikeE. I’ve been using the same logic with tannehill for years and nobody listens. Lol

You might be right about Tannehill. He does need to step up in a big game, but I think he might still do it. Tanny is young and improving, and Wake is what he is at this point of his career.

Nice to see he’s not a Tootsies patron! 😉

Dolfans NYC ‏@DolfansNYC · 8m8 minutes ago
    Fatherhood Has Given Thomas A New Perspective On Life And Football http://bit.ly/1RgHkDW #Dolphins

Look for Aikens to be suspended soon for violation of the drug policy. Lol

49. naplesfan2010 says:

I truly understand what you are seeing Mike.
    But in Wake’s defense (see what I did there) he was really the one guy all DC’s facing us HAD to neutralize, the one guy on our defense who could single-handedly take over a game. So as the year went on and teams got film on our D, they would just say ok Starks can do that and Odrick can do that etc., so if Wake is in the game and we want to do X, we MUST do xyz to contain Wake or he will blow up the play. And it mostly worked and that is why our FO realized we MUST get somebody else up front to keep them from scheming to beat Wake and letting everybody else on our D be just a guy.

MikeE,
    I was just kinda funning about Tannehill. But, I think that sort of leadership/playmaking is there from day one. It’s not something a guy develops 4 years into a career. You either are that sorta guy, or you’re not. It can be honed, but it’s always there. We haven’t seen it yet.

I think he is a leader, but confidence has a lot to do with it to. I think he’s becoming more confident every year, and this year it just seems different. We’ll see.

So you don’t believe in people improving and changing? I know a lot of people say that but I don’t think it’s that black and white. Too many examples of the opposite to cite.

naples,
    I agree with your take about teams focusing on Wake, but I think they do it less than they used to. But, truly great players make plays anyway. They refuse to be controlled and taken out of the game. Just because a team tries to take a guy out of the game doesn’t mean you gotta let them. We haven’t had that sort of player in a long, long time.

MikeE,
    I’ll believe it when I start seeing him turn losses into wins…taking over a game and actually being the reason we win….not just not the reason we lost, if that makes sense.

53. naplesfan2010 says:

I think using baseball analogies with football is very tenuous. Baseball is so much less of a team sport. I mean it just is. I know about errors and I know about a batter being aware of his place in the order and the strike count and how many are out etc etc, but i have played both sports (and basketball, which is kinda between the other two) and the whole feeling of “team” in a football game is different than baseball.
    At the same time there is a much more helpless feeling in football if you are on offense and the defense sucks, because it is different guys. In basketball and baseball, if you make an error YOU get to hit and make up for it. Basketball same thing only more so.
    I have been in a game where we scored 3 TDs and won and one where we scored 3 TDs and lost. It’s nerve-wracking to sit and watch the other half of your team screw it up.

Reggie Jackson was no one’s idea of a team player.

I think guys can improve, but I think the sort of internal makeup in terms of leadership and playmaking I’m talking about isn’t something a guy develops. You can usually see it from day one. There aren’t too many examples of that sorta thing.

I’m talking about in all walks of life. I’ve seen people who had a shy demeanor when young and now they’re speakers and presenters in business. Stuff like that. I think the problem is when someone displays those skills young they’re known as always having been that way and the stereotype is that you’re born with IT and there’s no way to learn those traits. Not true is what I’m saying. People change through life experiences and circumstances all the time.

Mike E lately! 😉

so one cant post artistic pictures of a woman showing a football love but they can admit they like Neil diamond. this place has gone to the pigs

Naples

Off the top of my head, Charles Haley. A monster during the season, and maybe better when the postseason came around.

He also had the pleasure of playing on super talented teams.

Blah blah blah. What about Trace Armstrong? Our Dolphins weren’t great defensively when he was here, but he still got it done. I thought our defense was great in the BUF game????????????????????? What did WAKE do????????? lol

I see. I guess I was just thinking of football. And, I still believe it’s very rare to see a guy turn into that sorta player years into his career. Most of these guys have been doing this since childhood, and it starts there. Marino/Luck/Montana/Manning. Guys like that showed that sort of ability even before they became NFL players. A guy can still be a good QB or DE or whatever, but then there are guys who, for lack of a better way to describe it, are just winners.

Or that’s just a perception that isn’t really real. Just like QBs being given wins and losses in a game where 22 players face off against each other. LOL

Mike E, I don’t think blah blah blah doesn’t make what I said not true.

So what you’re saying is, in order for you to accept the player I mention, he has to meet the criteria of playing for a defense that has similar talent to the ’13 and ’14 Dolphins defense to be considered an acceptable candidate? Is that it?

No I made a comment about Haley being on great teams. Some players had that sort of good fortune. I liked Charles Haley as a player too. He had more opportunities to shine in big games than most guys.

60. naplesfan2010 says:

Randy
    Name one on any team so I will know what you mean. pls

Naples,
    Sorry, lunch is over. I gotta run. But, real quick, Reggie White used to get a ton of focus and still made plays. Suh does the same. LT used to. Gotta run.

62. naplesfan2010 says:

About leadership, not everyone can be a “lead-the-chant” type guy in the pre-game huddle like Ray-Ray or Drew Brees. But Montana and Marino were leaders without all that rah-rah crap.
    (Weren’t they?)

Dammit. I gotta go! Lol
    But, I saw Marino snatch victory from the jaws of defeat on many occasions. I don’t think it’s a false perception. Also, people can’t keep saying this is a QB driven/centric league and then not expect them to be the main reason teams win or lose. The NFL,has done everything possible to make sure qb’s are protected and successful.
    I’m out.

I’m not talking about all that. I’m talking about a QB becoming more of a leader. Drew Brees was not that in San Diego and they moved on from him. He has become that in New Orleans.

That’s not true, the version you see today of Brees started his last yr in SD. One of the reasons why SD got rid of him was, because of his shoulder, and the fact that Rivers was coming up, so they made a choice. Surely they would’ve been fine with either one.

The problem with what Randy is saying(sorry your aren’t here for rebuttal) is that there are just a select few that fit his profile. Greatest LB of all time? LT. The best DL of their time? You got it, Suh and Reggie White. Manning, Luck, etc, etc, etc. These are the premier guys this league has produced. There is a reason the Colts purposely tanked their season.

A guy that didn’t even start 20 games in college probably isn’t on that list TBH.
    That doesn’t mean he can’t and hasn’t improved massively. We don’t need Luck or White because we don’t have that. It doesn’t mean we can’t win it all without those guys.

As we all know, QBs who are not really elite have been on teams that won championships. Eli Manning does not fit Randy’s profile but he’s got two rings.

is he a leader is he not a leader??????????????

he gets to sleep with lauren, nuff said.

• naplesfan2010 says:

This is funny … in a ffr kinda way, but is actually very astute on ffr’s part. A guy who can attract and retain that kind of talent (Lauren I mean) is capable of being the face of the franchise and leading men more and more as he grows. He came from a small town and A&M is a “cow college” ROTC type school, so it has taken Ryan a while to get on top of the South Beach Metropolitan glare, but the fact that he got Lauren and has Lauren to show off cannot be overlooked as an indicator of intrinsic value and future star quality.

66. naplesfan2010 says:

OK I am gonna cross over and be on Randy and Mike’s side for a minute.
    Whew … scary over here.
    The thing I always said was wrong with Ireland’s drafting and FA signings is what had gotten us into the mess we were in that two years of Hickey with a little boost from Tannenbaum is beginning to extricate us from.
    And that is what Randy and Mike E are referring to when they say “where is our HoF guy(s)?”
    Ireland drafted good players, but shied away from the great ones. Not sure why but i really mean “shied” like he was intimidated by their star shine or was unable to distinguish between fake flash and true HoF potential. Trading down to take Odrick when Big Stars were there so he could also get Misi (both “good” players, but only good) was a prime example. Dan Thomas was another.

Of the second type mistake was not realizing the ill fit to our scheme of DJordan and MWallace.
    So now we had a team with 45 good players and some scrubs. Good enough for 8-8.
    Mike E and Randy want some Marquee players, some guys even ESPN can’t dis, some guys destined for our ring of honor at least, if not with HoF written all over them. I want that too.

naplesfan2010 says:
    June 19, 2015 at 2:21 pm

OK I am gonna cross over and be on Randy and Mike’s side for a minute.
    Whew … scary over here.

yeah, but got to admit being on mike’s side can come in handy

68. naplesfan2010 says:

This is funny … in a ffr kinda way, but is actually very asute on ffr’s part. A guy who can attract and retain that kind of talent (Lauren I mean) is capable of being the face of the franchise and leading men more and more as he grows. He came from a small town and A&M is a “cow college” ROTC type school, so it has taken Ryan a while to get on top of the South Beach Metropolitan glare, but the fact that he got Lauren and has Lauren to show off cannot be overlooked as an indicator of intrinsic value and future star quality.

It is interesting the different ways people look at things.

70. Jahndoh30 says:

“Just accept it for what it is. There are guys like Reggie Jackson who become stars in the white hot spotlight and get names like Mr. October. Then there are great players who come up small when the playoff spotlight shines down. The facts are there, either see them, or don’t, I know what I see.”

This implies there is only one correct interpretation to facts. But there are often as many different interpretations of facts as there are people interpreting them. Folks get it in their head that their interpretation is the only valid one, but that’s far from true.

In short: “It is interesting the different ways people look at things.”

71. Jahndoh30 says:

Mikes multiday campaign against Wake reminds me of this:

72. Jahndoh30 says:

“Blah blah blah. What about Trace Armstrong? Our Dolphins weren’t great defensively when he was here, but he still got it done.”

JT, Zach, Surtain, Madison, Bowens, Terrel Buckley was our nickel back. That defense was loaded dude.

Jahndoh30 says:
    June 19, 2015 at 2:59 pm

In short: “It is interesting the different ways people look at things.”

jahn, on this blog it is better said. ‘it is interesting the different ways people get every thing wrong compared to how i see things”

(and btw, your welcome, you ungrateful bastard. i will fix your ass, next year i am pulling for golden state)

Just watched on the news where they left representatives ove the 9 victims of the killer in SC stand and make personal statements to him, most of which were letting him know how badly he hurt them but that they forgave him and prayed for God to have mercy on his soul. Fist time i have ever seen anything like that, to me more of that should be allowed, despite what might be said and despite what level of caring the person shows, i think those words are important for both parties.

June 19, 2015 at 3:14 pm

That defense also had a lot of letdowns in big games.

yes, but you made it very clear that defensive let downs are cause the offense didnt score enough points.

damn that marino guy, how come he couldnt put up 74 points every game

Well that’s totally inaccurate. LOL

1998: 38-3 loss to Denver
      1999: 62-7 loss to Jacksonville

Yeah the offense’s sucked as well but looked at the PA.

Jahn

I guess there are always different ways to view facts. So tell me, how do you see Wake’s disappearence in those December games, where he had zero impact on the game? Do you see his 1 tackle in the BUF game as a game changing one?

Armstrong had 12 sacks in 1996 without Jason Taylor.

• Jahndoh30 says:

How many without Tim Bowens? Zach Thomas? Daryl Gardner? That incredible secondary of Surtain, Madison, Buckley and Marion?

You finding one mistake in my very long list of great players kind of sums up you singling out Cam Wake the last two days. In truth, I’ve stayed out of it because it doesn’t matter. It’s digging up bones.

• Jahndoh30 says:

I see your multiday campaign as misguided.

I think he might be questioning you labeling him as not a clutch player because of a few games. You’ve said it in a way where that’s the way it is and just accept it as if there’s no way Wake will ever come through in a big spot.

NO, I’ve stated very clearly that he hasn’t risen to the occasion. I never said he can’t and won’t in the future, but he hasn’t done it yet.
        ___________
        Jahn – Whatever, when you make comparisons, you can never satisfy every criteria to make it exacly even. You shopuld know better than that. What’s the point of discussing anything if you’re going to take things to that degree. You can’t compare anyone or any team under those guidelines. Anyway, saying Wake hasn’t stepped up isn’t misguided, it’s the truth.

I kind of think Wake has overachieved his whole NFL career
    A guy like that is going to have highs and lows
    regardless, he is still one of the top pass rushers int he NFL

But put him next to Suh and its a lot more highs than lows

He may be one of the best rushers, but he’s never done it with the playoffs on the line, that’s all I’m saying. The facts support my case to the umptenth degree.

by Chris Perkins
    Watch the Dolphins’ offseason practices and it becomes apparent this is a team that did lots of self-scouting.

They’re working aggressively on the weaknesses that have caused them to miss the playoffs.

They’re working red zone drills, for offense and defense. Two-minute drills, for offense and defense. Goalline drills, for offense and defense. Third-down drills, for offense and defense.

The goal is to improve their so-so showings in those areas, the ones that have led to 8-8 finishes for two consecutive seasons.

“Some of it is mentality,” coach Joe Philbin said, “some of it is execution.”

Quarterback Ryan Tannehill seems to be improving based on the portions of the offseason program that reporters have been allowed to watch. He was especially sharp Monday, when he didn’t throw an interception.

He utilized wide receivers, tight ends and running backs while zipping passes into tight windows in crucial situations (red zone, two-minutes, third down).

“We’re trying to attack the mid-range in the middle of the field,” Tannehill said.

“That’s one area of the field that we didn’t attack well last year, from eight to 20 yards in the middle of the field. We didn’t make enough big plays there, as well as deep balls outside.”

Overall, the defense has enjoyed much more success than the offense in these drills.

The pass rush has been dominant.

Defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh has been so disruptive, even without pads, that Tannehill often changes the snap count to keep Suh from getting his amazingly quick jump. He’s even drawn Suh offside a few times.

The secondary has been good, too. Cornerback Brent Grimes, as you’d expect, has been in shutdown form against everyone.

Of course, none of this means much now. The players aren’t wearing pads. And these aren’t December games.

But let’s take this thing one step at a time.

It’s clear from watching practices the Dolphins know who they are.

And if you’re a Dolphins fan, it should be a bit comforting to know they’re taking steps to improve in critical areas.

79. naplesfan2010 says:

Wake stepped up for a walk-off safety on national TV.

I’m pretty sure Dr. Rhino gave me an A so I don’t care what any of you say, nanny nanny boo boo, I opened myself up for it so I can take it.

I’ll bet you Dcoral has already tried to make “porcupine pie”.

Mike E, this makes it sound like he’s not one of those guys and it is what it is.

82. naplesfan2010 says:

This is where I think Philbin begins to show his quality. Scientific analysis to keep finding our worst weaknesses and drafting and practicing to eradicate them. Fingers crossed.

blob:https%3A//vine.co/8d0dc7bc-a496-489e-9cad-6b63da94504f

https%3A//vine.co/8d0dc7bc-a496-489e-9cad-6b63da94504f

Damn it…was a vine of Wake making a huge hit last Dec game vs. Jets. He almost knocked Geno Smith out of the game while he was rolling out to his right on a crucial 3rd down.

85. naplesfan2010 says:

Wake stepped up against the patsies,
    so they just held him every play and dared the refs to throw a flag every play.

Adam Beasley in Dec 2014 just before Miami was to play the Ravens for a Wild Card spot on the line.

PLAYOFF PUSH

For that reason alone, Wake acknowledges that there’s a greater urgency than ever to finally break through, finally make the postseason, finally make the Dolphins relevant.

Perhaps that’s why, after practice Thursday, he was one of a handful of players to stay late and run sprints. It’s certainly why he watches his diet like a lingerie model, why he sleeps instead of parties. Wake, a three-time Pro Bowler, is as close to a national superstar as this franchise has. But he doesn’t enjoy the late-night trappings that come with celebrity. His mentality is, you can have all the fun you want when you retire.

And he is determined to push that inevitability as far into the future as possible.

Wake’s strange path to stardom — out of football altogether, then through the CFL — delayed the start of his NFL career. Wake is considered one of the best defenders in football, but he is unlikely to put up the career numbers needed for Hall of Fame consideration.

He has 61 sacks in just 89 games. That’s good for fifth in franchise history. No.1 on that list? Jason Taylor, who needed 100 games to record his 61st sack.

Taylor’s team record (131 sacks) appears safe. Wake would need to continue playing at this level past his 39th birthday to catch him.

But 100 career sacks? That doesn’t seem too farfetched. And it would verify his greatness. Fewer than three dozen NFL players have ever reached that benchmark.

“That’d be, what, four more years?” Wake said. “If you ask me now, I’ll say yes.”

Yet he doesn’t seem to care. He would gladly trade it for a ring.

“Honestly, I think I’ve probably beat the odds in terms of personal accomplishments,” Wake said. “I’ve been All-Pro, I’ve been to multiple Pro Bowls, I’ve had four-sack games, player of the week, player of the month. I’ve done a lot of different things. But all those things kind of feel … even when I go to the Pro Bowl, it feels like a consolation almost. ‘Good job. You did good, but the real goal are the guys who can’t come to this. … So-and-so made the Pro Bowl, but he’s not here because he’s playing in the Super Bowl.’ That’s the guy that really won.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article4316197.html#storylink=cpy

Suh is here, everything is different now.

I stand by that statement. He’s 32, and he hasn’t done it yet. Maybe this year, we’ll see.

Make that 33

No that’s fine. When I read it It came off as FINAL. LOL

Yeah, I was just talking about up to this point. This whole discussion makes it seem like I hate Wake, and I don’t. He’s one of my favorite players, he really is, but I’m disappointed when he disappears in those December games.

Naples,

Since that sack for a safety was 10/31, you can call Wake Mr. October. 🙂

90. Try Pod says:

So, it begins again.. Four years ago my mother in law went through a horrible bout of cancer, and eventually died from it. Today, my father in law tells my wife that, with treatment, he may have 3-5 years. She seems to be numb at the moment. She is an am onchild, so it’s just us. He had brothers and sisters, but only a couple are reliable, and they live in another state. It sucks.

Sorry to hear that, man. I wish your father-in-law the best and hopefully you and your wife can muster up the strength to make it the best it can be.

91. Try Pod says:

An only child*

Damn, sorry Trypod. Wishing you the best and praying bud

Actually the Phins had 2 wins in Dec last year. In Week 16 Came Wake made big plays against the Vikings.
    So all is not bad….just need to be a lil healthier and play a lil better to close the season.

Sorry to hear about that Try
    Are you and your wife in the same state as your father-in-law?

Can Wake’s new team photo

96. Try Pod says:

Thanks, all. Yes, he lives next county over, about 40 mins away. We’ve got lots of convos coming, like does he want to sell his place and move closer so we can help more, etc. I know we aren’t the only people to go through this, but my wife.. It just seems so unfair.

Try Pod says:
    June 19, 2015 at 4:30 pm
    ———————————
    Try, just as a n FYI, that number range is pretty much what they give patients with certain types of cancer, for others they give a much shorter number. They gave that number to my father several years ago. Those nmbers are based of mortality rates of people with that cancer type and not the true prognosis, with treatment its possible they hit remission and if thats true he may have several years past that and get the 3-5year prognosis again if it comes back. You just have to remain positive about the potential for that number to be wrong because hope is one of the most important things to have. Id do as much as i could with him, just in case, but dont let him or her live like thats all you can expect.

Either way im very sorry she got this news, it sucks and its very sad, so just have to try hard to keep as positive about it as you can.

• Try Pod says:

Good questions.. On 8 biopsies 8 of ten came back as an 8 on a scale of ten as it relates to aggressiveness. That’s what I understood. I heard so much that it will take me time to digest, but I can tell you, he was the state director of Medicaid for many years, and he is very knowledgeable of medical issues, so I think he was very measured in what he told us.

Oh, well yes he probably is well informed then. I still would remain positive that with treatment he could beat it, or at least i hope so.

Trypod, sorry to hear about your father inlaw’s new battle. Sending out a prayer, and stay positive!!!

Also look into natural cures for him, herbal, vitamins, correct diet to a more alkaline state, or a ketogenic diet.
    Plus look into cannabidiol oil as well, which is very low THC content.
    Well worth the research.

Hey moderators, unlock my reply to Trypod will ya!

Thanks 🙂

• Try Pod says:

Thanks GDP, and D. We will be positive and try to promote healthy things to him, but he is nearly 70, so we have to be mindful of not insulting him, if that makes sense…

Yep, that makes a lot of sense. Stubborn old mules we become. 😉
        I’ve been bashing soda’s both reg & diet for awhile. Trying to get my Dad off them as well as a good friend of mine who is type 1 diabetic. Unnatural sugars & chemical substitutes are enemies to the body.
        Good Luck my friend.

• jetsssuck says:

My wife’s sister died from cancer but she outlived the 5 yrs forecast. She lived 7 yrs and she was diagnosed 3 of 5 yrs. I was told her 5 yrs was the way they discribed her chances of living past 5 years. So going from 3 of 5 she had a 60 percent of living past 5 yrs and she lived 2 yrs past 5 yrs..

Sorry for the bad news.

naplesfan2010 says:

June 19, 2015 at 2:26 pm

———————————————————————–
    Yeah, that’s BS. How many ugly athletes have beautiful wives? It may be accurate in his case, but you can’t just say, because he has Lauren…

• naplesfan2010 says:

Steve
      I don’t understand what you mean. I think maybe you don’t understand what I meant by what I typed.
      Sorry to be so confusing. I was complimenting Ryan.

What I mean is a highly paid athletes ability to land a hot chick isn’t an indicator of any quality by itself. It may be the case, and it seems to be in his, but to say because he has A, then B is true.

In other words, the fact that he’s got Lauren means nothing by itself, other variables must go with it.

TryPod
    I’m very sorry to hear your news!
    I have some of the same Shat going on so I’m glad it’s just 40 miles for you!
    I wish you and your family the best possible outcome brother!!!!!!!

This is what college ball is all about!!!!!!

104. naplesfan2010 says:

Steve
    I totally don’t think RT is an ugly guy. I swear that thought never entered my mind. How could anybody think that? Sorry that I confused you.

Read above I responded I’m not saying that at all, and what you said is probably true, but not just because he has Lauren, like you said.

LOL at the discussion on RT’s looks. As a man I’m comfortable enough to be able to say if a man is handsome without having to worry about homophobic comments thrown my way. RT is a handsome man. I think many women would think that. Most people can tell who the good looking people are.

Tim, thanks for posting that link on Benton as a follow up to my post when he was live on the show earlier.
    Seems the OT spots are mostly set, but Ohhh one helluva competition @ both OG spots is A Comin once the pads come on and we get a few pre-season games behind us.

Good Luck potential starting OG’s! 🙂

No problem, bro. Your link made me know it was up on the official site. He also clearly said setting that secure pocket has to get better than it’s been. No matter what else happens with the QB and receivers, the line has to do its job.

Yep, of course. Glad he and his family are getting acclimated to south Fla and that they all like it there.

Just so you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GD, Benton is really good at what he does. You can tell he was an OL at one point too, big guy.

Lazor’s offense and Benton’s ZBS in the run game in their 2nd year is one of the reasons I’m more confident this year. Just the players lead by Tanny having the knowledge of it is ahead of the game.

I have a rep for being a sunshine and lollipops, support everything the teams does type of guy. That’s not totally accurate though I’m an optimistic person by nature. I picked us to go 8-8 to 10-6 last year. I wasn’t sold we were good enough to do much more. 10-6 was if a few extra things broke for us and it didn’t. I love the team on paper this year but I need to see more before I get a good feel for what this team will be. I don’t think 8-8 will be my bottom record this year though. 🙂

+++++++ Vibes to Trypod, wife and father in law.

Anyone notice every player, coach etc. praises this organization as top rate? Yet many fans and the media have the opposite view. Suh was seeking a big pay day no doubt, but he wasn’t coming here if he thought it was a Mickey Mouse organization, neither were many other players. Just some food for thought.

Oh and if you’re going to throw out what else would they say, they don’t have to go above and beyond with their comments. 🙂

What else were they going to say and they really don’t go above and beyond with the comments. The comments are actually pretty standard fare. Every coach on every team talks about what a great organization he is part of.

Boo!

I’ve seen plenty of people stay mum on extra compliments over the years with the organization they’re with.

And I have seen people praising the Dolans

In other words Ken, Tim is saying the comments are different this yr than they were 2 yrs ago when the Wallace came aboard. We were still trying to get away from being a laughing stock, not hearing that any longer.

Ken is pissing on my positive vibes. He needs to kick back and get a nice buzz. LOL

There are lots of things to be positive about this team for the coming season. But coaches blowing sunshine up the ass of the organization doesn’t mean squat imo. Luring a high profile FA, locking up your QB to a multi year deal and landing what looks to be a quality draft class speaks louder than anything any coach is saying about the organization.

It all goes hand in hand. It’s not that he’s just blowing smoke up someone’s ass, it’s the combination of getting rid of the trash, replacing them with quality system players, and having a QB that is having his best off-season yet, on the verge of… greatness?

As Al Bundy would say, you can’t have one without the other.

My buzz is starting to wear off which means I either need to start drinking more or go to bed. Either way I am out. Peace to you all.

WOW Bravos, great game! Got 8innings out of a guy making his MLB debut. He just got called up.
    Kudos Matt Wisler!

Bravos Win! 🙂

Son try this one!

Speaking of praising, former Dolphin Charles Clay was just gushing about Bills Head Coach Rex Ryan on NFL radio this morning.

• Brian in NY says:

The players love him, and they really play FOR him. Bills are going to be tough this season.

Bri – I hear that all the time, and I’m sure they do love him. He still needs a QB, and I’m not sure he has one.

I’m with Mike on this one, and not only do they not have a QB, they don’t even have Orton, who played well last yr. Orton won about 3 games for them with late comebacks, I don’t think that happens this yr. Take those 3 wins away and the week 17 laydown by the cheats, where’s the optimism now?

It’s no secret Rexie’s team will play for him, that’s why I was glad he left the jets, but I didn’t like him joining the Bills.

steveccnv says:

June 19, 2015 at 10:18 pm (Edit)

Nice win. You get that a lot, a pitcher no one has seen before and the hitters struggle.
    ***************************
    That win sucked! While you’re right Steve, that new pitchers can be tough to hit because of lack of familiarity, it doesn’t take much for the Mets lineup to get stymied, and especially when they play on the road. It’s like the bats are 6oz heavier on the road or something.

I turned the game on just in time to watch it all unravel. Another excellent starting pitching performance blown as usual. It’s like ground hog’s day. Ugh!!!

I was trying to be nice, with a little backhand stab at the mets fans here, since I hate the mets 😉

June 19, 2015 at 12:42 pm

——————————————
    Mike, your logic is beyond baffling.

Or maybe if the offense did its job and scored some points to make it a competitive game. I don’t get putting it on Wake or the defense either.

That’s like saying, if only LeBron had scored a hundred each game… Superstars aren’t great, because they can turn on a switch and be God like, like Mike is talking about. They’re great, because at times they flash greatness, but there’s no switch.

Steve, I hope you’re playing. WTF is baffling about asking your best player to make an impact on an important game? If you think that’s illogical, I believe you need to rethink it.

Where was Tannehill, Wallace, Miller, Hartline, Clay etc.? It’s their job to score, not the defense doing it for them. Nobody goes into a game saying okay defense, you need to score today because the offense won’t. And if that is the case you’ve already lost.

The odds of Wake making a play like that, a turnover resulting in a TD to win a game are through the roof (in the millions). It would be like asking brady to go win the game with 6 seconds on the clock and the ball at his own 1 yard line, except brady would at least have an opportunity (the ball would be in his hands). To get a TO on D there has to be an opportunity, and usually some type of gaff by the offense.

When was the last time any defensive player, in the same situation Wake was in, did what you suggested?

Mike’s been watching too many movies 😛

It’s funny this fallacy about Rex Ryan and players really play for him. I guess except for those games where they got blown out. LOL

You’re missing the point. It’s been reported that players loved playing for Sparano too, so…

The point is he’s a leader, which is the main job of a head coach.

A leader who acts like a child and it doesn’t always translate to the field. He’s overrated and always has been.

The bottom line is his players love playing for him, and he’s a great defensive coach that has created several defensive game plans to beat the cheats. He’s only overrated by his own standards of how good he thinks his team is.

Sure he acts like a kid, but the players love him for that, because it means he believes in them.

If you think he’s overrated, you may have a tendency to underrate him in the future. Don’t think going into any game against him that since he’s the coach, we’ll at least win the coaching battle.

I think Rexie is the biggest jackass coach in the league, but I respect his team leadership and defensive coaching ability.

Steve

LBJ actually willed his team to victory in the Championship. It’s not like he was invisible or utterly and completely neutralized in any of those games like Wake was.

I’m talking about winning the series, not one game.

OK, the day when Wake propels us to victory to actually be in the playoffs, we’ll see how he does when we’re in the playoffs. Right now, Wake hasn’t even accomplished that. LBJ is a very poor comparison. Carmelo Anthony is a much better one.

OMG 😛

Actually a couple of guys played beyond their normal ability for two games and once they disappeared they were done. They’re not a good team, they rely on their king to do it all and get calls and when that wears out they’re done.

What? LeBron got some calls he shouldn’t have?

I haven’t heard anyone in the media mention LeBron’s concussion resulting from a flop. I brought it up here during the game. It’s really pretty funny, if you watch it and thought he flopped, like I did. I mean he took like 9 steps after a foul, that without flopping at worst takes him to the ground.

No more Wake discussion for me. Time to move on from that. Wakey Wakey Toothy Achey. lol

You see what I mean? You went from a discussion of which unit was worse in the Buff. game to I’m done talking about Wake, when this wasn’t about him. You’re all over the map.

It was never a discussion about which unit was worse, the offense was clearly worse. I just wish that our defense played as well as BUF’s defense, and I think our defense was a letdown as well. Topics change here faster than Bruce became Caitlyn. What can I tell ya

Ok, we’ll leave it at that, no hard feelings.

You pitching today?

122. bat says:

Rex is nothing more than a glorified DC who is one of the worst in game coaches in the league. Probably even worse than Bazooka Joe. His teams don’t play for him so much, as Tim indicated, they have been trampled in games where they just flat out quit on him. The reality is that they like to play on his teams because he is an immature oaf who will not hold them accountable and allow them to act out like imbeciles.

Bat

Not sure if you ever caught the movie “A Winter’s Tale”. I need to ask you something, Is Will Smith really the devil?

Steve

Tomorrow, if it doesn’t rain, I’m pitching. Looking like it might be a rainout though.

125. bat says:

Mike … Never saw the film, but I can assure you that Will Smith is not affiliated with us in any way. When the mood strikes him and Satan deigns to walk among the mortals, he chooses a guise far less likely to attract unwanted attention.

LOL @ Bat – So he might just look like me then.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly · 20m20 minutes ago
    RT @lukefader Did McCain really just say RT is using audibles in practice? > Indeed he did. But Tannehill always had it.

——————————————-

Could using audibles be the difference? I guess it can’t hurt, look what it did for Peyton.

Once the veteran team that Rex Ryan inherited started to break up, what did he accomplish? His teams finished .500 or worse over the next 4 years and he got fired for it.

129. bat says:

Mike ..LOL ..Yes, he could … BTW, I sympathize with you in your in your maddening and frustrating quest to make the case for Wake’s inability to produce in crunch time. .. There are none so blind as those who will not see …lol

130. bat says:

Tim … Exactly .. Once Rex was given personnel input, it was all downhill. He won with Mangina’s teams and got a gift playoff run when the Colts and Bengals laid down for him.

So now it’s about finding a DE who can win the game? Only Dolfans would come up with something so out of the box. That and a power back, then we’ll be ready to win it all. LOL

132. bat says:

Tim .. Nobody is saying Wake has to win the game, but how about showing up and making a play or two?

Steve

Yeah, in that heat, it’s a must.

Outside it’s hot as hell, but inside it’s cool, even though we haven’t turned the AC on yet, except for an hour one day, just to keep it lubed up. We have a new home that seems to have all the latest insulation hardware, and the floor is mostly tile, so that and a couple of ceiling fans has been adequate. To do work outside I use a beach umbrella, then do my digging or whatever under it. The guy next door said he was paying $700 a month on his electric bill when running the AC.

134. bat says:

In the losses to the Ravens and Cheats that ended our playoff hopes last year and the losses to the Bills and Jests that killed 2013, Wake produced exactly 5 tackles and 2 assists total. Is it unreasonable to expect more from a pro bowl DE?

Bat, I get the whole Wake thing. I’ve touched on that from a different perspective with less blame but more cause. Wake and Vernon are undersized DEs. We didn’t really have the depth to get other guys significant snaps to keep them fresh in games and throughout the season. Shelby did some of it, but he played like 12-15 snaps where Wake and Vernon would play 35+ to 40+. Dion Fuckface would get forced into the lineup for his 12-15 because of his draft status but his production was minimal.

We need more from Shelby and Fede and even McCain as an edge rusher at times to keep everyone fresh. The DTs have a good depth rotation now because Starks and Odrick also wore down. Suh, Mitchell, Phillips (I know you question him) and Mosely and/orJohnson. I think we could easily keep 9 DL this year, 5 DT and 4 DE with McCain serving as another DE option.

I’m not going to get into a debate over Ryan, but the Jets lost 7 games by 8 points or less last season. The Bills are clearly better with him than Marrone.
    The Bills finsihed 9-7 last season with “No QB”. What does that say about us if we heve a QB? They have a ton of weapons on offense, and that D is only going to be better with Ryan there.

And not to make anyone jealous, but I’m headed to Ommegang!

Dion who??? lol

139. bat says:

Tim .. I get that there are other circumstances that are contributing factors, but a great player has to find a way when the season is on the line. I don’t dislike Wake, but his performances in such situations have been disappointing, to say the least. .. BTW, I’ve gotten over my disdain for the Phillips pick and am ready to hold my wrath until he gives me reason not to …lol

LOL @ Bat

Think of it like hockey, when you’re rolling with just 4 defenseman because you’re not confident in the 5th and/or 6th guy, your top guy ends up playing 36 minutes, #2 32 minutes and 3 and 4 in the 20s. The 5th and/or 6th guy plays what, 7-10 minutes. They wear down especially in a series. In football it’s at the end of the seasonal grind.

Let’s hope our DL is as talented and deep as we hope/think it is especially by adding a player of Suh’s magnitude. My hope is they get off the field quicker more often and our offense sustains long scoring drives more often. Run the fucking ball!!! LOL

You’ve got to be better at running the ball to run it more. That should change this yr with the addition of Ajayi. I agree though, run the ball more and your pass protection instantly get’s better, the play action comes into play, which allows you the time to throw deep.

You play to win the game, but if you want to win the game you better be able to run it.

RT gets a bad rap, in that his 3rd down conversion % and redzone % aren’t high enough. The team, play calling, and game situations all play a part. The bad rap part is he isn’t given enough credit for getting us into the redzone more than any other team.

In comparison, take Luck, everyone raves about his ability to comeback, but why does he have to comeback so much? Because he isn’t very good moving the ball between the 20s for the first 3 qtrs. Why does that matter? When you mostly move the ball against the prevent D at the end of games, you get blown out in big games, see their games against the cheats the last 2 yrs in the playoffs. I know at times Luck has those games when everything is clicking, but far too often he doesn’t do much early, the D plays a part in that, but he still isn’t consistent enough early.

Good post. Perception isn’t always accurate.

That’s because most people don’t follow along close enough, they just go by what the schmucks/stats say. Yep Luck was great again, because he was 35 of 55 for 300 yrds with 3 TDs 1 int and his team won by 6. What really happened was they were trailing by 15pts going into the 4th qtr TY Hilton took a screen pass and went 80 yrds for a score, the ensuing kickoff was fumbled, on first down the ball was run to the one for a first and goal, where a play action resulted in a one yard TD. After trying to run out the clock with a 1 pt lead the ball was punted back to Indy, and with 1 minute left another screen pass was thrown for an 80 yrd TD. Through 3 qtrs. Lucks stats read 32 of 52 for 139 yrds with zero TDs and 1 int. But yeah they all say how great he played, LMFAO at these ID10Ts.

If I had to pick today what our roster breakdown would look like I’d say this:
    Defense
    DL 9
    LB 7
    DB 10

Offense
    OL 9
    TE 3
    QB 2
    RB 4
    WR 6

Special Teams
    K 1
    P 1
    LS 1

Maybe because we don’t know yet it will be 4 TE and 5 WR. But you have to take into account what we do on offense. Our bread and butter is a 3 WR set with 1 RB and 1 TE. RT is also a factor in the read/option running game. No reason for an overload at positions.

I agree at this stage of the offseason and in general, but that changes based on the bubbles. If Matt Hazel or another WR doesn’t step up in no way do we keep 6, on the other hand, if he/they do and barring a trade chances are we do keep 6.

It’s like trying to predict the pro bowlers before the season starts.

Right now at WR I say Landry, Stills, Jennings and Parker are locks. It then comes down to Matthews, Hazel, Byrd etc.

We also have a wildcard in CB Tony Lippett who could also serve as an emergency WR. If that guy continues to show skills as a CB and plays on STs, his value goes up also having WR skills. He’d have to really suck to not make this team.

I forgot about Lippett, he’ll make the team for sure, but I wonder if we do keep 6 WRs knowing they could go to him if needed. Break in case of an emergency.

Steve is on a roll engineering the reality train. LOL

It’s very reminiscent of Tebow’s hype. The 80 yard TD to D. Thomas was all Thomas. LOL

Good throw on a slant/crossing route – very classic 49ers like, but that was all the WR. The defense also fucked up. That could have been a 20 yard gain which was good too, but not enough. People act like Tebow threw it 65 yards and Thomas finished the last 15. Not the case. LOL

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins · 26m26 minutes ago
    The key for @alynch1788; be physical.

One-on-one with the 2nd year TE: http://oak.ctx.ly/r/37lnt

That’s his game, he’s a prototype TE who can be physical blocking both in the run game and in pass pro. He can also slip out and produce as a receiver. No you don’t build your offense around him, he’s another cog in the wheel, depth! He was a 5th rd pick last year. LOL

I’m guessing we keep 5 WR bc Lippett
    He is our 6th WR
    My snout senses it

Steve,

Awesome posts today! What happened? 😉

Thanks for the tips on home construction. Definitely looking into that when I move. Much like Tim, Im not a huge Ryan fan. He’s very good with great talent… which he has this year. Those Jets teams had some really good talent when he was winning but they still almost didn’t make it to the playoffs even then.

On another topic, I hope Taylor wins in Buffalo because he is awful. I watched him throughout his college career and he is BAD. Buffalo will have to win in spite of him just like VT did.

It’s only a matter of minutes before Ryan declares the Bills roster as the best he’s ever seen. LOL

People keep buying that garbage and his complements of players fucked up many a contract negotiations. If you say over and over he’s the best there’s ever been, how do you low-ball that guy? LOL

• New Age says:

He’s the Lebron of the football world. Lebron likes his boys(that are average players), so they pay too much. Ryan has the best 22 in football, and then wonders why they can’t keep talent. Talented coach but a blowhard. I don’t know why he tries to compensate…or maybe I do, lol.

Matty I ‏@TheMattyI · 6m6 minutes ago
    For you fantasy football players, I give you this note from Matthew Berry on Ryan Tannehill. #thatsmyquarterback

New Age, blowhard is the best description for Rex Ryan. He’s just like his Dad. His brother is totally overrated as a DC.

Let’s see any of them do it with average talent. It wouldn’t work.

Talent is the name of the game, it overcomes adversity.

• New Age says:

He has the most talented defense in the league now. There is no excuse really for them not to be in the playoffs. They are a more talented team than we are overall. Stacked, loaded, etc. Let’s see how he does. I could honestly see 3 teams from the east making it this year. The division has done well in the off season.

We have a huge edge at QB. RT (my new way of saying his name because Tanny equates to Tannyhill which I hate.) LOL

I do not think the Bills are more talented than us. Suh is better than all their DTs but they have a lot of good ones. Wake is better than Hughes, Williams gets the nod there.

I think they have good skill players on offense but I’m not scared by any means if our defense does its job.

• New Age says:

RT is our huge ace in the hole and no one is better than Suh. Their advantages are OG, K, overall DL(close), RB so far, and WR so far. It is close but I do think they are a bit more talented and we have the better QB. Should make for two good games.

Buddy Ryan’s 1985 defense, yeah it’s all him. LOL

LDE Hampton
    LDT McMichael
    RDT Perry
    RDE Dent
    SOLB Wilson
    MLB Singletary
    WOLB Marshall
    LCB Richardson
    SS Duerson
    FS Fensick
    CB Frazier

That secondary had tea parties back there. The front 7 was so good it was like we don’t even see any action. LOL

New blog up

151. Jahndoh30 says:

“There are none so blind as those who will not see …lol”

Introspection is a nice trait Bat…well done.