FOLLOWING PERFECTION: THE 1973 MIAMI DOLPHINS

By: Randy Campbell (OLD DOLFAN)

dolphins 73
GAME 10: Miami @ Buffalo, Nov. 18, 1973

Fans of the Buffalo Bills understandably were frustrated as their team prepared to play the first place Miami Dolphins on this cold (37 degrees) and windy November day in Buffalo. At the half way point of the 14-game season, their Bills were 5-2, only one game behind Miami in the AFC East. Buffalo star running back OJ Simpson was having the greatest season ever by any NFL running back. Yet the Bills laid a goose egg in week #8 at New Orleans. ZERO points against the lowly Saints was absolutely inexcusable and frustrating!

Then, last week, the Bills were playing at home in their brand new edifice known as Rich Stadium. It was a MUST WIN game vs. the Bengals. Buffalo was favored. Yet, when the game ended, the Bills had lost this key game 16-13. The frustration level grew exponentially! Buffalo had fallen to 5-4, now three games behind the hated Miami Dolphins!

The frustration level of Buffalo fans was about to get worse! Much worse!!
It was bad enough to suffer through SEVEN CONSECUTIVE LOSSES TO MIAMI (beginning in 1970). Now, Buffalonians faced the REAL PROSPECT of being knocked-out of the divisional race by their bitter rivals from Miami! Little did they know that not only would Miami destroy their beloved Bills today, ending their 1973 playoff dreams. Miami, also, would go on to win 20 CONSECUTIVE GAMES against the Bills, making Buffalo “0 for the’70’s” against the Miami Dolphins – – – an all-time record for most consecutive wins against an opponent in NFL history!!

The Miami Dolphins were playing their BEST football of the season as they confidently cruised into Buffalo. They had won six consecutive games, most by a wide margin. Their offense averaged 31 points per game during this streak. And their defense was on pace to give up the FEWEST POINTS EVER in a 14-game season! Even the special teams scored two touchdowns (courtesy of Tim Foley) in last week’s 44-0 destruction of the Baltimore Colts!

Head coach Don Shula wanted his team to repeat their fast start from the first Buffalo game played in Miami in week #6. In that game, the Dolphins exploded for 21 points in the second quarter on their way to an easy 27-6 victory.

Shula knew that over 80,000 Bills’ fans would cram Rich Stadium, hoping for revenge against the Dolphins. Shula believed he could prevent this huge crowd from becoming a factor by striking early and often.

Miami began their first drive from their own 20 yard line. On third and six from the 36, Griese found TE Jim Mandich wide open over the middle for a first down at Miami’s 49. Methodically, Griese moved the ball down the field to the Bills’ 18 yard line. It was third and two. Griese handed off to Jim Kiick for just a one yard gain. On fourth and one, all 80,000 fans were standing and screaming!! They expected a hand off to Csonka. Instead, Griese spun and handed the ball to Kiick. He followed a nice block by Bob Kuechenberg and gained two yards for a vital first down.

On third and five from the Bills’ 10, Griese tossed a swing pass to Kiick who was stopped one yard short of a first down at he six! Again, it was fourth down! Again, 80,000 Bills’ fans stood up and hollered! Again, Griese handed off to Jim Kiick, who gained FIVE YARDS and a first and goal at the one! Deflated Buffalo fans took a seat as Larry Csonka roared into the end zone on the next play! 80 yards, 18 plays, and just under nine minutes off the clock! 7-0 Miami, after the first quarter.

Early in the second quarter Miami’s Mercury Morris broke free on a 45 yard run into Buffalo territory. Garo Yepremian’s 39-yard field goal through cold, gusty, winds gave the Dolphins a 10-0 lead.

braxtonBuffalo head coach Lou Saban KNEW his team would have to respond. His Bills drove 77 yards, mostly on hard running by OJ Simpson and fullback Jim Braxton. On first and goal at the Miami three, QB Joe Ferguson was stopped at the two by “Captain simpsonCrunch,” hard nosed Miami linebacker Mike Kolen. A run by Braxton put the ball at the ONE! On third and goal, Kolen CRUSHED OJ SIMPSON FOR NO GAIN!!!!

Again, Buffalo fans stood up for a fourth down play! AGAIN, BRAXTON WAS STOPPED COLD BY MIKE KOLEN and the Dolphins took over at the ONE!!–Me and my “BOYZ” went absolutely NUTS as we watched the game on TV!! –Buffalo fans COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!

p-62198-paul-warfield-miami-dolphins-8x10-photo-hf-9329Later, the Bills’ offense began yet another long drive. Again, they had success running the ball into Miami territory. QB Joe Ferguson decided it was time to throw the ball. It was intercepted by (WHO ELSE?) Mike Kolen!! Kolen returned the pick all the way to the Buffalo 40 yard line!!
Bob Griese sensed it was time to go for the kill. Paul Warfield was double teamed. So Griese passed to wide open TE Jim Mandich. Mandich rumbled all the way to the Bills’ 17 yard line! On the next play Griese noticed Warfield had only one player guarding him. Warfield, using his Olympic sprinter’s speed, blew by the single coverage and caught Griese’s pass for an all-too-easy 17 yard touchdown pass! It was 17-0, Miami! And just like the earlier game between these teams, the game was essentially over by halftime.

Buffalo would continue to move the ball during the second half. But their drives always failed once they crossed into Miami territory. When the final gun sounded, Miami had preserved their 17-0 halftime advantage. And their defense had limited Buffalo’s offense to a grand total of SIX POINTS IN TWO GAMES during the 1973 season!

Disappointed Buffalo fans filed out of Rich Stadium on this cold and dreary day. Their team had lost to Miami for the eighth consecutive time! Little did they know they would lose their next 12 consecutive games to the Miami Dolphins!  A dejected OJ Simpson reportedly was in tears as he sat in the Bills’ post game locker room.

headline
In Miami’s locker, player of the game Mike Kolen had a smile as wide as Niagara Falls! And defensive line coach Mike Scarry celebrated as he received his first game ball from a jubilant Don Shula. The Dolphins had clinched the AFC East title and a spot in the playoffs! But there was precious time for celebration. The Dolphins’ next game, in just four days, was at one of the NFL’s best teams – – the Dallas Cowboys!

The 1973 Miami Dolphins were now 9-1.

***********************************************************************************************************

PRESEASON GAME #1 IS TOMORROW VS THE BEARS @ SOLDIER FIELD.

Go Dolphins!

Aside | This entry was posted in Absolute Perfection and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

298 Responses to FOLLOWING PERFECTION: THE 1973 MIAMI DOLPHINS

1. Try Pod says:

Thank you Mr Campbell for keeping this alive for us. I was too young to really appreciate it, so this look back is somewhat of a reminder of where we have been, and hopefully, where we are going again.
    Speaking of which, my one and only daughter starts high school this morning. How fast this life goes…

Way to go little miss Try Pod.
      It does go fast – super fast. You blink and they’re grown ups.

9-1- we can only dream! Thanks again OD!

Thanks OD.
    The similarity from this year to that glorious season of ’73 is that once again Buffalo thinks they are a playoff contender and we’re gonna sweep their sorry asses again!

You can’t load up and pound someone so hard that you break their jaw in two places and then claim “I never intended to hurt anyone” as Ik did.

Son,
    You and the Mrs. going to the fest, correct?

Woop Woop
    I get I have to get around to booking my flight

Never Forget

I checked prices yesterday and the were almost $200 cheaper than when I first
    looked about a month ago.

Catch up later guys
    Got a ton of work today
    Got to the office early
    better take advantage of it.

Great job OD…as usual!

10. jetsssuck says:

ocalahowie says:
    August 11, 2015 at 9:53 pm

That was the old Motorolla wherehouse or was it westinghouse
    ————————————————————-
    I’m not sure what it was before. My father made me work at the flowers bakery in that industrial park because he knew a VP of flowers. They made me clean the toilets and any degrading job there was. It was the worse summer job I ever had.
    I remember the publix and across the street was sub center and the ranch house. We used to drive from Miami Lakes to there just to eat subs and breakfast at ranch house. Remember crown liquors night club in the same parking area as ranch house?

Just booked flights yesterday for New York for the weekend of the Fest. Weekend in NY with my wife takes priority over the Miami trip as she gets limited time off and happens to have a 4 day weekend then. I will be catching the game at Slatterys.

• Brian in NY says:

Absolutely. Have a great trip!

• bookman11 says:

Thanks Brian. The ironic thing is that most, if not all, of the people on here from NY/NJ will be in Miami that weekend! Whomever is not going on that trip, come to Slattery’s!!

• Brian in NY says:

I know- that sucks! We could have made that week the NE mobfest! It would have been nice to meet you.

THANKS TO ALL of you for the kind comments. And thanks to HERD and MISS GIGI for all their help with these articles! “0 FOR THE ’70’s” NEVER gets old unless you’re a BILLS’ fan! –Gotta fly to Chicago for a convention. Hope to talk to all of you in a few days. –I’ve got a Dolphins shirt I’m going to wear Friday if we beat Da’ Bears Thursday Night. –PEACE TO ALL!

My group is finalizing plans for our road trip for the Giants game. Looking forward to it but not too much being that it’s in December. Don’t go away nice weather, stay… stay… 🙂

OD, well done again. I want our current team to start giving us memories like this.

Bookman, you’ll be at Slattery’s October 25th?

16. jetsssuck says:

It may be the day for Goodall to release of his decision for deflate gate as reported last week. I’d expect a appeal to higher powers if their is no reduction in suspension and maybe a counter suit against Goodall. Brady is still taking all the snaps as if he is preparing for start of season.

Oh I see, I sign on and everyone goes and has an egg mcmuffin. Fuck off! 🙂

• jetsssuck says:

that’s odd I just made some with contrapson I bought where you put the egg in microwave, add ham, toasted english muffin and american cheese.

• jetsssuck says:

pretty good i might try with bagel next time

This thing? My brother and sister-in-law has one of these.

• jetsssuck says:

No mine is just for the scrambled eggs in the microwave.You have to add the cheese ,muffin, and ham separately I think it cost less than 8- 10 bucks from walmart.All these yrs of feeding the grand kids to shut them up I could have bought a expensive one and still saved a ton of money

“Again, Griese handed off to Jim Kiick, who gained FIVE YARDS”

LOL OD — I heard your voice yelling five yards in my ear as I read that. You make games, both new and old, live. 🙂

Okay folks
    It looks like the Houston game has won the poll
    Let’s try to get a head count of who plans to attend

Who is in
    Piggy
    Stanger (+1)
    OD (better half TBA)
    Son (in for 2, Maybe more)
    Rock
    Al ( in, maybe +1)
    Toba (+3, including the dreaded Pats fan)
    Brian in NY
    Mike E (maybe with +1, +2 or +3)
    FFR (maybe)
    Ken (maybe)
    Herd (maybe)
    drg (maybe)
    Gigi (maybe)
    Bookman (Slattery’s off-site reporter)

Repost and add you name if you plan on going to texans at dolphins.
    ———————
    We have seats reserved already……..but check those plane prices

We’re looking at our flights now for the Giants game. My brother-in-law who travels quite a bit said August is a good month to book flights in advance.

Does he go to Florida much? I’m no flight expert but what I do know is that the prices from NYC down here during the season can get real pricey if you wait two long during the season. But I’m not talking about you guys right now. More like once you are two months out they go nothing but up.

20. jetsssuck says:

Brady, meanwhile, remains firm on his settlement terms: He will accept a fine, but no suspension, and will not admit guilt in the matter, sources say.

I think Today is the day of decision

Stanger, yeah that’s why we’re looking at flights now for December. Both my brother-in-law and my wife fly to Florida a few times a year to see their parents.

Tom Brady remaining . . . . Well, you decide . . .

23. jetsssuck says:

everyone in ne holding their breathes since the meeting before the judge presently taking place now.It started at 11 am

Tim, I left you last nite with a 57yo Heather Thomas. Did you see her?

#1 reason to destroy your cell Phone!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Mike E. Just like you predicted…..got reading glasses after I went to the eye doc. He said wear them for reading and on the computer. The reading is great with them, but I hate them on the computer (type is big enough to read anyhow). Am I going to make things worse down the road by not doing that?

Sorry for asking for work advice while you are on your breaks from work.

Friggin 1%’ers!!!

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
    Dolphins owner Stephen Ross just invested $1M to fund a new drone racing league:

August 12, 2015 at 10:27 am

Bookman, you’ll be at Slattery’s October 25th

Yes, my wife and I will be there!

Stanger, we’ll be hanging out around the hotel or at local watering holes on Sunday for football. As we get closer, we can exchange cell #s to meet up.

GD, do re-post the Heather Thomas pic.

Bookman

You’re visiting NYC for the Texans game?

GDP

Yes and no on correcting both. What they usually do is they will just under correct one eye so you can still see near, but there’s no magic fix to correct both at the same time.

Stanger – Free professional advice for a good man. No beer necessary!

LOL — no man better than you, me…..not so much. Got an agenda…….my beers are only payable at Dolphins games.

Mike E, make sure you didn’t draw any pee pees and wee wees in those books.

Heather Thomas @ 57….WOW, ok, I’ll be back later guys. 😉

Mike E, thanks for the heads up….this fading eye sight is a BITCH. I grew up as a kid with better than 20/20…I could count the hairs on a bugs ass from 50 yards away….lol

bookman11 says:
    August 12, 2015 at 11:38 am

August 12, 2015 at 10:27 am

Bookman, you’ll be at Slattery’s October 25th

Yes, my wife and I will be there!

dont fall for that shit timmie, he is just trying to trap you and make you pay your library fines…….like some library cop would ever have a wife…..i could just see that, right….

wife: BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
    bookman: sssshhhhhh, no loud noises allowed
    wife: ssshhhh, me? your dead. why dont you go to sleep now.

Ok guys, err Mike E. This should make ya feel a ‘tad’ better about our OG spots.

BY BARRY JACKSON
    bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins’ lineup plans for Thursday’s preseason opener at Chicago came into focus during Tuesday’s practice, when the team installed its game plan. And a few things became clear:

▪ The race between Dallas Thomas and Jamil Douglas for the left guard job is a toss-up. Thomas began the day with the starters but Douglas also received substantial first-team work.

The quality of their performance during camp has been “close,” coach Joe Philbin said. “I thought Jamil, for a rookie, the other night, handled himself pretty well.”

For the first time during training camp, Thomas also received some work at left tackle, behind Jason Fox, but that was done merely to prepare the team for an emergency situation. Jeff Linkenbach also got work as the backup left tackle.

Billy Turner logged most of the first-team snaps at right guard, and though Jacques McClendon got some snaps with the starters for a third consecutive day, the Dolphins want to take an extended look at Turner to see how he does against NFL starters other than Ndamukong Suh, who has gotten the better of Turner in training camp.

Turner has “done some good things,” Philbin said. “We want to see some consistency from him in both phases. But he’s certainly improving, without a doubt.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article30782271.html#storylink=cpy

Check out what his kid can do
    Amazing!

lol @ getter,

hey young getter, dinner is ready get in here.
    NOT NOW MAW, DAMMIT NOW I HAVE TO START ALL OVER. 1, 2, 3….

Tom Brady isn’t expected to play in Thursday night’s preseason opener against the Packers.
    Coach Bill Belichick has a longstanding tradition of you have to practice to play, and Brady is out of town Wednesday dealing with #Deflategate nonsense. If Brady indeed doesn’t play, it could mean Jimmy Garoppolo will start and play pretty much the entire game. Ryan Lindley is the only other quarterback on the roster, but he was just signed on Monday and likely doesn’t know the plays.
    ______________________________
    Watch Clay Matthews level Garoppolo and put him on IR.
    Karma is about to take a huge bite out of the Pasts!!!

I mean
    It is nonsense that we are talking about it
    But that is Brady’s own doing

Tripp was pleased to get some alone time with Zach Thomas on Tuesday because he is a big admirer of the former Dolphins great. “It was fantastic — I picked his brain,” Tripp said.

Go #57

I couldn’t have ordered the footballs to be deflated, I was dancing!

I happen to agree with what he’s saying. The fact that they make their Presidential hopefuls conform to the ideals they want will keep them out of the White House for a long time. I liked Mitt Romney “The Moderate”, but they forced him to become a right wing guy on stances he was previously moderate on, and that ruined him. They continue that practice, they might as well fold up that tent. No offense FFR. lol

He’s right and wrong at the sametime. RINO’s are to me more the consensus old guard ‘establishment’ GOP guys. They are no different than the consensus old guard ‘establishment’ Dems.

The new idea guys like the tea party types, or anyone who is truly for the working class, the masses, their constituents…well those guys are black balled, and buried by the ones catering to their masters of big special interest!

Until that well protected cycle or WALL can be broken through, then we’ll keep seeing the same old shit no matter if a GOP or Dem is prez. SMH!!!

if you asked most libertarians
      they would probably agree with Mark Cuban

To a certain extent the democrats have many of the same problems he mentions IMO

I think that is why many people (and pigs) call themselves independents

this, as usual, opens the door for me to slam the two party system with I think is the cause for this. If party’s are approach politics adveserially, then they are bound to have watered down ideas ( I guess what Cuban means by the “consensus”
      the fight becomes, not so much about selling you ideas to the american public
      but selling that the other ones ideas is not good to the american public

With more parties I think you invite an atmosphere with parties rely on their own ideas rather than pissing on some one else’s

Its part of the reason I hate it when who use words like “libs” in a derogatory manner, call republicans racists or politicize everything they don;t like as being the result of the other party. politcis have becone really dumb downed lately

• Try Pod says:

I was particularly drawn to his statements of dogma, social agenda and conformity. I don’t like Trump, but it could be the start of a needed opening to that party’s stricture.

If they lose the 2016 election
        especially if they lose to Hillary
        I bet the Republican party has substantial changes

but I honestly think the 2 party structure is flawed
        and bad for both parties
        and the same problems will come up again

Its no real unusual for a party to change its values
        So I do think that can happen in a 2 party system
        I just don;t like that system…lol

If you meet up with us at Slatterys, please bring the book Tropic of Cancer with you….The fine happens to be the equivalent of one drink.

Mike, I am not worried about your library book fines…….the fines are based on use…sooooo

i am done with the nfl if or i should say when brady walks away from this with no punishment. just more proof the nfl has become the wwf

GDP – I didn’t force you to hit the play button ya know. 😉

No offense FFR.

know what, fuck you, and my tent didnt fold up, it blew up. fucking hand boy.

Well you git your responses this time around Trypod…lol

LOL @ FFR

Bookman
    I’m not a huge Seinfeld guy so I never saw that episode(s)
    does it mention “Tropic of Cancer” or is that you improvising

its a good book…that is why I ask…I am a fan of Henry Miller

LA may have a team soon
    I think its odd that 2 of the 3 teams requesting to move, recently moved from LA

getterdone says:
    August 12, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Mike pulled the stakes out…lol

he did, couldnt stand the temptation. like an alcoholic pours out all the alcohol, he pulled up the stakes. i mean a private tent and all those married men around.

Capricorn, Cancer…either one…..like pool or a pond…….

(Let me try this again) Cuban’s right and wrong at the same time. RINO’s are to me more the consensus old guard ‘establishment’ GOP guys. They are no different than the consensus old guard ‘establishment’ Dems.

• Try Pod says:

If this was for me, I get your point, though I don’t think that it was Cubans’ point. I see his view more clearly, as he states something I have said before- if it wasn’t for their historically intractable stance on social issues, I might have registered as a republican.

I’m assuming Geno is still going to get paid.

Guessing his health deductibles might be more than $600 though.

August 12, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Let me guess, you’re a Saved by the Bell guy?

what are you crazy, even one knows piggy was a green acres guy

getterdone says:
    August 12, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Didn’t Screech make a porno later in life?

I think it was called Screech pounds Zsa Zsa.

getterdone says:
    August 12, 2015 at 1:50 pm

LMAO,,,somehow I think FFR is Mr. Haney.

how did you know? here is a pic of piggy and i at the first first first fest

That’s Mr. Haney on the right, err FFR.

August 12, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I could not remember my lines

of course you couldnt you were always in zsa zsa dressing room squealing

getterdone says:
    August 12, 2015 at 1:59 pm

That’s Mr. Haney on the right, err FFR.

who cares it took me a few years to notice anybody but her on the show

Here’s OD with his big hat trying to cover his huge melon and complaining about Ross!

Rand Getlin ✔ @Rand_Getlin
    Sounds like Evan Mathis may find a new home relatively soon. A source close to the situation says a “deal could happen anytime now.”
    __________________________
    Hmm, I wonder where that could be? I bet it’s NE or Atl.

if you dont have this sound stuck in your head you are not me

For all of you who are, Happy Middle Child Day!

Just read that Eva Gabor died in 1995 @ 76.
    Zsa Zsa is still alive @ 98, but in very ailing health.
    The beautiful Hungarian born ladies had a 3rd sister, the oldest of them named Magda.
    Between the 3 of them they married 19 times….take that Liz! lol

SunSentinel Dolphins @SSMiamiDolphins
    Report: Michael Sam’s ‘preferential treatment’ irks Montreal teammates http://fw.to/iD5pHgI

He really sucks!
    Michael Sam made his long-delayed debut with the Montreal Alouettes on Friday night. The guy hasn’t played in a meaningful game in a long time, and this performance was not worth the wait.

The former Missouri standout failed to make a tackle during the 12 plays he was on the field and, according to the Montreal Gazette, was badly fooled on a play-action pass that resulted in an Ottawa touchdown during the 26-23 Alouettes loss.

But the Gazette didn’t restrict its criticism of Sam to his play on the field.

Sam spent two weeks away from Montreal’s training camp for personal reasons, with the Gazette saying he “walked out on his teammates.” When he returned, Sam was placed on the 46-man roster but did not play until six games into the season.

Gazette writer Herb Zurkowsky disagrees with this move, saying “the organization has completely mishandled the scenario and Sam has become a distraction.”

Zurkowsky adds, “Privately, more and more players are criticizing the preferential treatment he has received.”

I didn’t think he was going to be very good at the next level. He wasn’t a good enough athlete and isn’t overly big or strong.

LOL @ Pouncey with the mauve suit.

GD, plenty of fishing lures are chartreuse so that’s not booshy enough. LOL

well, for all the good he tried to do by his announcement i think the opposite has happened. i know the media made a mess of things and sam didnt help anything either but i think any gay player will look at this and just think what a disaster and just never say a word.

73. jetsssuck says:

3. Much ado about cell phone destruction: A big takeaway here is that Judge Berman was very focused on the fact that the NFL did not produce clear, direct evidence that Brady either engaged in the deflating of footballs or knew about a scheme to do so. The NFL tried to skate around that fact with the following argument, again per Garafolo:

Judge Berman was hammering NFL regarding where the direct evidence Brady had deflated the footballs was.

Daniel Nash: “Maybe the most direct is (Brady) agreed neither McNally nor Jastremski would have deflated the malls (sic) without his direction.”

Judge Berman: “Is that it?”

Nash, later: “Is there a text or email in which Mr. Brady directs” them to deflate the balls? “No.” Added later: “Just because there may not be a smoking gun does not mean there’s not evidence of culpability.”

The NFL, as Kessler indicated, has seized on Brady’s destruction of his phone as evidence that there must have been other inciminating evidence on it. That seems to be what the “Just because there may not be a smoking gun…” quote is about.

Kessler’s response to idea that Brady’s destruction of his phone is evidence of guilt was that Brady routinely destroys phones when he is done using them because he is a celebrity and does not want anyone gathering information off them.

Kessler argued Brady destroyed his phone because he’s a celeb. “I don’t worry about people looking at pictures of my wife and children. They’re lovely pictures, by the way. … Or emails about a pool cover because I don’t have a pool.”

Kessler then cited NFL’s argument there may have been other pertinent texts. “Maybe if my grandmother had wheels, she’d be a trolley car.”

These are just settlement conferences

As far as I know the Fed Court hasn’t even ruled that they will hear the case

I’m a little surprised that settlement conferences are being made public to everyone
      generally what is said in settlement conferences is not admissible evidence

Judges in settlement conferences tend to play both sides of the fence
      essentially twisting the arms of the parties to try to settle
      to intimidate the parties and make them believe – things might not go you way

I’m not suggesting that there is no value to what is said by the judge in a settlement conference
      You can sometimes get an idea of how things are going
      but ultimately its a chance for a judge to try to settle the case
      and that means point out the weaknesses of both sides in hopes that they settle out of fear of losing

• jetsssuck says:

he asked both sides to make concessations and only brady made some but.NFL made no concessations . Judge said nfl had no proof brady knew anything. He really embarrassed the nfl. I wonder if brady and goodall even looked at each other

Just chillin!

• Brian in NY says:

Ahhhhhh! Did you see that video I posted above Tim?

Seriously…who blows their nose with a seal…

Sharks are weird

Jetssuck
      I see nothing about Brady making a concession in that link you posted

The report that Brady would have accepted a fine is not a result of the settlement conference
      That happened before Goodell ruled on the appeal
      its not exactly a concession
      My understanding from earlier reports (about settlement before Goodells appeal decision) was that the NFL would have reduced its suspension but the Brady wanted only a fine

The attorney for Brady is saying that we would be at the settlement conference if the NFl would not have insisted on a suspension but it does not look like that position has changed from what I am reading

Also I don;t see that the NFL was made to look worse than they already look or worse then Brady
      The Judge is giving them a hard time about relying on circumstantial evidence

Ultimately I think its proper in a civil case to rely on circumstantial evidence
      but that is a whole different discussion

its pretty clear that what you posted says the judge didn’t let either side off the hook
      and that the Judge pointed out that each side has its strenghts and weaknesses

I’m just telling you what I know about settlement conferences
      The Judge wants to twist the parties arms to settle
      So they point our the weaknesses

the vast majority of cases as a result

Give the parties a night to sleep on it
      I would not be surprised if there is a settlement soon
      and the suspension is reduced and not lifted

But when push comes to shove if there is no settlement, the Judge might not even approach the things he discussed at the conference in his decision

getterdone says:
    August 12, 2015 at 2:10 pm
    Rand Getlin ✔ @Rand_Getlin
    __________________________
    Hmm, I wonder where that could be? I bet it’s NE or Atl.
    ——————————————–
    Shit a couple weeks ago they were already saying ink was hitting paper in ATL, but yeah id agree with recent news regarding both of them, you are mosl likely right.

Source: IK Enemkpali was claimed by the #Bills. For real. #Rex

of course they did. rexy things he can help get rid of manual.

78. jetsssuck says:

N ow the question becomes if Brady is still going to take all the practice reps next week after the settlement conference failed.

They have another settlement conference on the 19th according to the link you posted
      Does Brady have to be present for those conferences
      I don;t think so but who knows how the fed judge feels about it

Only an idiot would think Brady and Belichick didn’t know about deflating balls.

The Judge in that link was not suggesting they didn’t know
      he was giving the NFl a hard time about not having any direct proof that Brady directed the equipment manager to deflate the balls

And really, that is a tough one to prove, if they have to prove it

hypothetically, lets say Brady turned over his phone intially to Wells
      and the phone didn’t directly say deflate the balls but infers Brady knew it was happening
      well then I think the wells report turns out much more favorable for Brady

but I think the wells report drew in conclusion in large part bc Brady and the patriots obstructed the investigation by bot turning over the phone

So a new person looking at those facts might say – okay I still don;t see how you went from point A to point B

I mean this judge will never have to deal with these parties ever again
      So its not his job to make sure NFL investigations go smoothly
      its probably less of a concern to him whether some one cooperated or not

So you can see this window of light for Brady

Oh I get it and that’s why the whole thing is absurd to me. The ball boys took it upon themselves to fuck with the balls in the AFC Championship game. Great white sharks don’t eat seals either. LOL

• jetsssuck says:

ball boys turned over their phones

• jetsssuck says:

and what proof do u have with this—-wells report doesn’t provide any proof and this judge said so

the judge asked about direct evidence
        not proof

The issue the Judge is raising is one of relying on circumstantial evidence
        not whether proof exists

Believe what you want. I don’t even care what the result of this is. I’m looking forward to watching my team play this season.

Jetssuck
    this is from your link

“Based on the answers given and positions taken by the two sides, a settlement does not appear likely to be coming on Wednesday. NFLPA attorney Jeffrey Kessler stated that he’d be making another filing on Friday, August 14, and there is an additional conference scheduled for next Wednesday, August 19.”

So if there is a conf on 8/19
    and the conf this week prevented Brady from taking snaps in practice
    maybe the conference next week does the same next week

make sense doesn’t it?

• jetsssuck says:

he has been taking all snaps when he is at camp but today he was in NY for appearance before judge.

I know
        I read that today

I’m pretty sure the suspension (which currently stands) doesn;t hinder him taking snaps
        but appearently he will not be playing the preseason game number 1 bc he was absent today

Basically next week should be no different then this week

The Judge is obviously scheduling conferences on Wens
        and unless they settle SOON then its the same routine next week

August 12, 2015 at 4:53 pm (Edit)

**************************
    I know
    I think its crazy to
    but that is just us bullshitting base don common sense

In a Court (and I still don;t think the fed Ct hears the case) the idea of the fed Court saying the wells report is based entirely evidence is definately a threat to the NFL in terms of winning
    and that is what the Judge went after the NFl about today

that is the big weakness to the NFL’s decision

but like I said, in a settlement conference, weaknesses get exposed

August 12, 2015 at 4:40 pm
    Nah Rex likes that shit and probably loved that he did it to the QB that helped him get fired. LOL

BINGO! Of course that dirty foot eating bastard wanted to throw this in Geno’s face twice a year…lol

jetssuck, It’s ok there now now, don’t fret, Marsha will be back playing soon. 😉

84. jetsssuck says:

and the direct evidence was direct evidence that mcNally was directed by Brady to deflate the balls—-show me where in wells report it says this. It can’t be fpund

it doesn’t say this in the wells report
      we are in agreement about this point

we do not agree on the weight you are giving it

the wells report actually says something like “we conclude that is is more likely than not that Brady directed McNally” Im paraphrasing bc I don;t want to look it up
      the report basically admits there is no direct evidence

but its important to understand the distinction
      that does not mean there is no proof
      the proof may be circumstantial but it is still proof to look at
      and there is no rule per-se that says a trier of fact cannot rule on circumstantial evidence in favor of one way or another

the evidentiary standard here is prepondrence of the evidence
      so its not a high standard

• jetsssuck says:

the guy didn’t call him for 6 months and he make a call to him after nfl said they found balls uninflated and 1 ball was 10.1psi. NFL says it provided this false info to the press to see if brady would call. He said he called him asking what happened to balls. Never did it show from the ball balls phones any conversation for 6 months with brady.

85. Al in MIA says:

Again, the NFL doesn’t need direct evidence and only to establish that Brady was trying to hide something with his phone being destroyed during the time the NFL was questioning him on Deflate Gate. Brady’s defense to that was that his attorney’s told him that it would be fine to destroy his phone during this time (Brady was aware that his phone could be used for questioning or else he wouldn’t have had to say that he ‘asked’ his lawyers on how to proceed). Chalk it up to shitty advice.

Jetssuck

that link you posted says Brady is holding firm to his settlement offer (but the NFL changed theirs so that they are requiring him to admit guilt)
    I don;t think that means a concession occurred at the settlement conference
    He is just asking for the same thing
    and the NFl took a tougher stance

I also think there may be a procedural error in that link

“Brady’s settlement hearing came after Goodell ruled to uphold his four-game suspension on July 28. The NFL moved quickly to have the suspension confirmed in U.S. District Court in New York. Brady had hoped to have the case heard in Minnesota, but because the NFL filed first in New York, the case landed there and was assigned randomly to Judge Richard M. Berman.”

I think its an error
    As far as I know there is no vehicle for the NFL to go to Fed Court to uphold a decision
    but the NFl did ask the Fed Court to change the forum from Minnesota to NY
    The NFLPA filed in Minnesota
    The NFLPA has a right to challenge the decision

the Fed Court has the ability to reject hearing a decision made under a CBA
    and I don;t think the Fed Court ruled on that yet
    but if the facts in the link are right, that the NFL filed a case (even though I’m not sure how that happens) when I think the NFl waives its right to challenge being in fed ct to begin with, I don;t think a forum change waives that right

this kind of procedural posture is not the kind of thing I would expect sports journalists to get right
    and its not the first time I have seen some one report this fact – So I may be wrong, but from what I know about CBA and Fed Court, it doesn’t make sense to say the “NFL quickly moved to have the suspension confirmed”

• jetsssuck says:

The judge asked both parties to make concessions to settle this. Brady made a concession with agreeing to pay fine and nothing else.The NFL made no concessions.
      I don;t think that means a concession occurred at the settlement conference
      He is just asking for the same thing
      and the NFl took a tougher stance

Brady took the same position he has been taking
        and probably the same position he will
        he doesn;t want a suspension or to admit guilt

he made that concession long before the fed Court was involved

when Goodell was deciding the appeal
        both sides made concessions

the difference her is that the NFL is now asking for a little more – an admission of guilt from brady

87. Al in MIA says:

Brett Favre wasn’t undermining the integrity of the game only his own integrity off the field lol.

See even Omar get’s it!

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 23m23 minutes ago
    Wish I had a different answer for you. In my opinion Evan Mathis makes the Dolphins a 10 win team. BUT….my opinion doesn’t really matter.

Deflate gate on one blog!

Tanny can’t hit the deep ball on the other!

😦 😦 😦

90. Al in MIA says:

lol Wyo @ Omar thinking Mathis makes the Fins a 10 win team. They are a 10+ win team without him 🙂

• jetsssuck says:

we have had good success against them through the years I don’t think Brady provides them with a great advantage. WE usually split with them.

Guess this time Geno’s ego wrote a check his body couldn’t cash.
    ——————————
    Iowa State’s defensive coordinator Wally Burnham said after practice Wednesday that Geno Smith getting coldcocked didn’t surprise him.

At halftime of the Iowa State-West Virginia game in 2012, Smith ran into Burnham as the teams headed toward their locker rooms.

“I was just walking. He pushed me.”

Burnham was 71 in 2012.

92. Al in MIA says:

GDP,
    I’m still laughing at the Bills claiming Enemkpali.
    I guess Rex was on the prowl as I mentioned yesterday lol.

93. Al in MIA says:

Wonder if Enemkpali gets to sit by Incognito & Harvin, lol.

Thursday Nite Football will be interesting:
    Hewitt, Hull, Luc & Vigil all UDFA LB’s looking to stick. I definitely think Vigil does, he was my fav before the teams started signing UDFA’s.
    Hewitt could surprise too, he fast like a SS @ LB, but needs more NFL muscle to ever become a 3 down LB. ST’s is calling his name tho.
    Hull is my next fav, but can he hold up injury wise?
    Luc is more a 2 down run thumper to me, not gonna be good in coverage or lateral pursuit. I’d like to see him or Hull get some looks as FB in short yardage sits. Could be interesting, even as just a lead blocker.

August 12, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Brady took the same position he has been taking
    and probably the same position he will
    he doesn;t want a suspension or to admit guilt

when brady gets off free i am changing my opinion on the discussion we had here the other day about cheating to win. i say go for it. i would love players to just start cheating left and right. all players not just fin players. then would for love one of them to get caught and just say ‘suspend me i dont care, i will just take you to court’

wyoming85 says:
    August 12, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Deflate gate on one blog!

Tanny can’t hit the deep ball on the other!
    😦 😦 😦

lol, shows what that other blog knows. everyone knows tanny’s problem is his pocket awareness.

The first 3 don’t make sense compared to the Phins complete overhaul. I’m a bit of a homer, but Miami is clearly #1 or #2 here!

• BoulderPhinfan says:

sweet. I’m looking forward to Mathews. I’ve always liked him. Saw an interview of him on finsiders the other day. I think he’s going to be dad soon.

BTW. my wife an I found out a few weeks ago that we’re gonna be new parents as well. We had wait longer to tell people because of our age. Kind of old for our age to be new parents and start again but why not? We have one 10 year old son. So this will be our second son.

Bucky Brooks kinda of sold Landry short

congrats boulder.

thanks gdp. Unfortunately growing up in boulder he’ll be another liberal 🙂

This was not planned. We were pretty shocked.

tim,

did you see the catch phillips had on that punt. That boy know how to handle a football. I want him as a FB.

Congrats Boulder

are you going to name the kid “Philbin”?
    😉

piggy,
    its due date is Feb 12. We win the superbowl and that boys name is philbin LOL

Lombardi is another suggestion …lol

• BoulderPhinfan says:

or ryan or Ndamukong. cause we won’t win any superbowls without either one of these guys (both) playing like a super stars.

ok we win superbowl the name is ryan the middle name is Ndamukong. Of course I have to clear it with the wife 🙂

Pretty cool poster

OD
    Who is 73

Boulder, did you read/hear how Philbin likes to throw a monkey wrench in at the end of practice? 🙂

At first I read Vic Beasley’s time and was like WTF?

But Phillips time was good for a guy his size

You can see that he has the physical tools to be special
      A lot of things have to go right for him, like any other player
      Keep your head On straight
      Avoid injuries
      Play around other talent

It can really work out well for him
      But NFL careers are so hard to predict
      He really might be a very good player though
      All the tools are there

I liked what Mayock said about him. I think the lazy tag was overblown. So what, now we ask grizzly bears to do what bunny rabbits to do? LOL

Congrats Boulder!!!!!
    Just talking to mine tonight about scholarships!
    Long ways to go brother! 🙂

Awesome, love the music. 🙂

Everyone says he’s a freak talent at 6-5+ 330, along with ‘The Freak’ in Suh and the under-appreciated Mitchell? LOL

He was a BPA pick in the 2nd rd just like what the Jets did at #6 with Williams. Take the best player. Smart!

LOL @ Boulder on a liberal kid.
    Hey the unplanned kids turn out to be the best sometimes. My sister & bro-inlaw had 3 kids early in their marriage, all evenly spaced apart by 1 1/2 years, girl, boy, girl…then boom about 12 years later a great lil boy. Love my lil nephew.
    Glad you are keeping him, liberal or not. You guys will love raising him.

^name suggestion: Tanny Boulder 😉

Boulder, I also agree, Philbin is growing on me too, but he’s got to start getting his team over the .500 hump!!!

Congrats to you and your wife Boulder. I don’t recall if you’ve mentioned your age, but it’s not so bad being older parents. I remember when I told my sister I was having another baby when my son was on the way. First thing she said was, You’ll be 60 when he graduates from high school! lol

For me, Philbin needs 10 wins to stay, or one helluva good excuse @ 9 wins, but 8-8 or less is time to see what’s out there coaching wise.

Boulder, sorry I missed the anniversary. Congrats! Awesome stuff!

Boulder,

Congrats! I wish you and your wife all the best.